Jaro is back … for a visit

Jaroslav Halak will be at the Fairview shopping centre in suburban Pointe Claire this Saturday afternoon between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m.

Jaro will be autographing 8×10 photos (in his Blues jersey?) for $20, with all proceeds to the Ste. Justine children’s hospital.

Speaking of signatures, do you suppose Carey Price will have signed by the time Jaro is greeted by his adoring fans?

And any suggestion that agent Allan “Let’s See What I Can Tweet to F— With Price’s Head” Walsh arranged this show to embarrass the Canadiens is purely paranoid speculation.

Sam Gagner re-ups for two years with the Oilers, and Lee Stempniak stays in Phoenix.

From Allan Muir’s mailbag in SI:

Sergei Kostitsyn in Nashville: bargain of the offseason or disaster in the making?
— Helen Stakitch, Tenn

Look, when the adjective most commonly associated with a player is “enigmatic,” it’s probably best to put your head between your knees and prepare for a rough landing. No one denies that Kostitsyn has the talent to be a productive second-line forward in the NHL. He has the skill set to chip in 20 goals and 60 points if he puts his mind to it. But what evidence is there that he will?

Some will point to his no-risk contract (one year, $550,000). If he was in it for the fat stacks, he could have piled up a lot more rubles in the KHL, so maybe he’s serious about getting his head right. And I’ve learned never to underestimate what Barry Trotz can accomplish. If there are five coaches capable of getting Kostitsyn to focus, Trotz is one of ’em.

Hey, I like the signing. A team that needed an offensive injection at a bargain price took a chance and slapped a sweater on a player who fits the bill. But the best predictor of future behavior is past action…and we’ve all seen plenty of Kostitsyn’s selfish, mercurial play. If I had to bet, I’d put money on him wearing a different jersey after the end of this deal.

1. derfab says:

I don’t get the douche bag label. Is he really poison? Do we have a center that would fight Dion Phaneuf? Have we ever? If he were available, I’d take Spezza over any player but PK (his future is too intriguing) on the Habs roster.

character is derfab destiny.

2. KGB_AKA4787 says:

P.K Subban was at Sport Rousseau off the 440 signing autographs saturday, pretty beefed up kid for his age, got my P.K shirt signed waited about 45min, worth it took a nice pic with him too !!

anybody else get a chane to go?

Go Habs Go

3. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

So this is THE BIG news Allan Walsh was talking about??

This is BIG news? I thought he was going to be named the captain or get married or something. Now that’s BIG news!

Allan Walsh, get a life!

And I wish I was in Montreal..I would love to meet Jaroslav Halak. From what I’ve heard, he’s one of the nicest people out there! Go Halak Go!

4. SensFanSpezza says:

Listen, I’ve played goal, and I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw what Halak did in that series against the Caps.  It was pretty damn heroic as far as I’m concerned.  If Ottawa had a goalie like Halak, I’d hope the GM would be smart enough to keep him.  Unfortunately, they just have to keep looking I guess.

5. WarHero says:

Mmmmmmm …. sammiches!

————————————————————————

6. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Good post – Jaro is one of my favourite players. Cool like a cucumber haha.

7. observer says:

Re: “I cheer for the team that would be all 20 players that wear the jersey” — so if gauthier traded the entire first 20 of the habs to the leafs for their first 20 you would still cheer for gauthier’s new team?

8. K-hab25 says:

You know Jaro aswell as you do Carey. That is to say, not at all. So spare me your “Jaro is beyond reproach” stuff. It’s funny how people pretend to “know” sports stars and celebrities. I remember this guy Orenthal James Simpson, who was loved by everyone. Not one person thought anything but good thoughts about him. Till the day he murdered his ex-wife and the waiter dropping off her glasses. Stick to what they do on the ice, because we have no idea what they do off it. Let alone, know that they’re “beyond reproach”, which no one is.

9. Fansincebirth says:

“Drinking rye and playing on his horse”

Sounds like a country song to me :o)

10. Xtrahabsfan says:

He was the Man  and the torch has been passed to Carey………This  will be interesting to say the least?

11. adam76 says:

It say alot about his character.  Coming back to see the fans he loved, and to donate all the proceeds to a Montreal based charity.

12. SeriousFan09 says:

Ever thought of setting up your own blog? Your stuff is pretty consistently entertaining.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

13. K-hab25 says:

Around here winning cups is all that matters. No wonder you think Halak is a hero!!

14. adam76 says:

It will, once the team starts 3 and 12.

15. Storm Man says:

Adam you the one with the mancrush. I like the fact you always have pics up of the one you love.

16. adam76 says:

You are correct – minus the horse bit.

17. volcano62 says:

Same here……It hasn’t sunk in yet that he is gone.

18. Storm Man says:

Sounds like what you did all summer Adam.

19. Xtrahabsfan says:

To Jaro Halak….Thank -you FOR EVERYTHING YOU HAVE DONE in your short stay in Montreal and thank-you for giving us HOPE as C.H. fans. You we’re AWSOME  and you continue to be A great guy with your actions in the last couple of day’s….again thank-you and have a great year.

20. adam76 says:

Naaa – hes too busy drinking rye and playing on his horse.

21. adam76 says:

He is blinded by lust for his “boy”.

22. jimmy shaker says:

Will Carey be there waiting in line for Jaro’s autograph?  Just joking everyone, relax!  Had to chime in on a topic on here at least once or twice this summer!

Shaker

23. K-hab25 says:

This is Montreal, not Ottawa!! Going 9-9 in the playoffs doesn’t make you a hero in this neck of the woods. Hell Ray Emery did better 3 years ago, is he your hero?

24. CBrady12 says:

ok kiddo sure you did

25. nickster13 says:

I’ll be there personally thanking him for getting non hockey fans all across this city knowing who he was, i still cant believe we traded him

26. Storm Man says:

Don’t waste you time on him. It goes in one end and out the next.

27. RGM says:

Research. Do it.

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

28. Storm Man says:

Sensfan I see your lost. You have no clue do you. I can tell by the team you cheer for, This is nothing more than Allan Walsh stirring the pot in Montreal. H-word can make a donation anytime he wants and hope he does the same in St.Louis also. As for so called fans you win first place.

29. JD_ says:

* Pretty certain Paul Kariya won’t be comin’ back. Like Peter Forsberg who, although hintin’ at retirement, is not yet retired, Kariya’s passion for the game is makin’ it difficult to walk away despite post-concussion syndrome and gimpy hips. A smallish guy who was hacked away at like a pinata at an anger management seminar, he still managed to pot 989 points in 989 games. I remember Kariya bein’ a really well-grounded kid when he was drafted, a reflection of his thoughtful parents, both of them schoolteachers. Also recall when the NHLPA kinda used him to get under Disney CEO Michael Eisner’s skin, which chewed up more than its fair share of headlines back in the day.

* Mario Tremblay after bein’ asked by the Gazette’s Stu Cowan to opine about his days behind the Habs’ bench and the disastrous feud that saw Patrick Roy traded away for jack squat, “I don’t have any regrets at all,” later addin’ that, since his return to Montreal, “I haven’t heard a bad comment yet.” That Mario, what a kidder. And I thought Antti Niemi’s agent, Bill Zito, was self-deludin’. With those kinda hallucinatory chops, Tremblay should take over the Niemi file, put a call into Buffalo GM Darcy Regier, and tell him he knows a kid who’s poised to hand Miller a one-way ticket to Portland.

* Seriously, Mario, just put yer ego in check for five minutes and throw a bone to the fans still dismayed by what went down. Do it for your own sake, if that makes it easier. There is absolutely nothin’ to be gained by pretendin’ you didn’t handcuff an already weak negotiator by publicly humiliatin’ Roy, an equally egotistical guy who, despite havin’ a career that makes yours look like a footnote, has already expressed his own regrets about that dark event. C’mon, dude, it’s called closure.

* Speakin’ of buffoons settin’ themselves up for a fall, a few of days ago at the conclusion of the Molson Canadian Hockey Boondoggle in T.O., Loafs GM Brian Burke opined on Frantisek Kaberle’s recent, controversial comments regardin’ both Loafs head coach Ron Wilson’s coachin’ style, as well as his son Tomas’ future status with the organzation, “He’s [Frantisek] entitled to his opinion, but Tomas has never expressed any of that to me. I’ve really avoided accelerating the discussion.” I really dig that last sentence. It just drips with the kind of barely controlled rage I’d expect Dr. Hannibal Lecter to express were he the Loafs GM and Kaberle Sr. had just crapped all over his bed.

* And speakin’ of Loaf GMs, caught former wunderkind, Gord Stellick, who managed the Mopey Loafs for about as long as it takes to say “Harold Ballard”, on TV the other day. Gord was presidin’ over an international symposium on the future of amateur sport initiatives in developing nations. Nah, the Gordster was just schleppin’ some diet thingy called Liquid Magic. I’d say how the mighty have fallen, but this smacks more of how the mediocre have oozed.

* Carey Price hasn’t signed™. In other news, Treasury Board President Stockwell “Jet Ski” Day has let it be known that although Ottawa won’t be coughin’ up any cash to help Quebec City’s bid to land an NHL franchise, it is not rulin’ out the prospect of helpin’ fund a new professional-calibre arena in Quebec City. See, it won’t be an NHL arena, just a professional-calibre arena, you know, for teams in the Professional Calibre Hockey League (PCHL). If Day straddles his competin’ constituents any further, he risks rupturin’ his gonads. Whatever it takes to get the ‘Diques back is all good.

30. adam76 says:

So Halak, who is not longer with the organization has done more charity work for the city of Montreal then most of our roster.

31. Jordio-oh says:

You ask me why i’m hating on halak and you go on to use quotations to describe Carey as a goaltended and then you even highlight that you’ve done it with a bracketed note.

so much ridiculousness. I find it amusing.

And for the record, i didn’t hate halak. And i still don’t.

32. volcano62 says:

By December Auld will be our starting goalie.

33. volcano62 says:

Another big news: Price gone to KHL and Habs sign Niemi.

34. volcano62 says:

No worries Halak realized after the playoffs were over that he was the heart of the city and team for awhile.

35. Slovak says:

Another big news: Mr. PR-ICE will be signing 3x2m benches all over Montreal… :-)

36. volcano62 says:

LOL bargain bin with Theo and Thibault hahahaha

37. volcano62 says:

Why the hate? Halak wanted to stay. You should hate our other “goalie” (please notice the quotation marks) that has not signed yet for whatever rediculous reasons.

38. SensFanSpezza says:

Holy classless!  The guy was a hero three months ago, now he gets traded and you won’t say his name?  Halak’s coming to say thanks for the support and make a donation to a kids hospital.  I hope the people who do go out to see him are bit higher quality than the so called fans who won’t speak his name now.

39. Jordio-oh says:

Hopefully he’ll bring T.J Oshie and Alexander Steen so you can get their autographs too!

40. JD_ says:

Whoa there.

Jason Spezza is most certainly a douche of the highest order, but he has yet to achieve full douchemaster status. He’s only 27 and has years, years, of doucheness ahead of him.

41. volcano62 says:

Awesome! I’ll be there!

42. Psycho29 says:

Wecome back Mr.Boone….as you see things haven’t changed here….same old trolls….

43. mike g says:

A Leafs fan..

They know everything that’s laughable.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

44. mike g says:

A Leafs fan..

They know everything that’s laughable.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

45. Storm Man says:

I can’t wait for Latendresse and SK to do a day of signing photos. I wonder why the H-Word would not be doing this in St.Louis ? I guess only a handfull of people would have showed up.

46. notbigbird says:

I think he’s preferrable to the minders on brother’s team.

47. SensFanSpezza says:

Who really knows who their team’s goalies will be two years from now?  If you asked Habs fans after the playoffs, I’m sure a lot of them would have said Halak was a lock to stick around.  You think Price is the future, but he’s not signed yet and when he is, it probably won’t be for longer than the two year window you’re talking about.  Hey, I think I’ve got every right to make goalie jokes.  Who knows laughable goaltending better than a Sens fan?  :)

48. notbigbird says:

double – sorry

49. mike g says:

Like the Leclaire, Elliot, Emery, Hasek,  and Lalime one’s?

Or like the Brian Murray photos, the only way you can hide his annoying lisp because the picture has no audio?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

50. RGM says:

We have Rollie Melanson to thank for the increase in Price’s use of the butterfly. Hopefully that’ll get ironed out of the system. Instead of predicting such wonderful ideas as “the Habs slip into the Laffs mode” why not instead believe in the hope and promise that his potential offers, as well as in the team’s ability to come together and be something a little more than a supplier of lottery picks to division rivals?
    —————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

51. JD_ says:

That’s just about a one-minute drive from my house. You can’t miss it.

Who wants to come over for sammiches after gettin’ the goods?

52. SeriousFan09 says:

You can start with the jokes about goaltending when your team knows who your goalies will be 2 years from now other than a description of ‘two guys with goalie equipment’.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

53. RGM says:

“If the best predictor of future behaviour is past action…blah blah blah”

It isn’t.

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

54. SensFanSpezza says:

He’s not so bad when you get to know him. 😉

55. SensFanSpezza says:

Don’t waste the gas.  You can get those pictures for free two seasons from now.

56. SeriousFan09 says:

Sorry what was that? I was just counting all the fake Stanley Cup banners in your arena and the scratching-my-own-back, useless and meaningless Division and Conference Champion banners you’ve got up there.

Hang a Stanley Cup banner your team actually won or don’t put anything up there for team accomplishments.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

57. mike g says:

Hey, it’s Monday…

Why don’t ya relax a little. Ur favorite player is the biggest douche in NHL history.

Proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMxJzdVYtXY&feature=related

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

58. Mark says:

At least we don’t have to resort to ancient history texts to remind us of the last time we won something.

59. SensFanSpezza says:

Well, I grew up cheering for the Habs, so I still wish them well.  But I’m kind of obliged to cheer for the Sens these days.  And, I guess making the Finals is better than not.

60. SeriousFan09 says:

This is something we already knew in MTL no less.

At least he’s showing up live, would’ve sucked if he had shown up dead, much harder to get autographs.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

61. mike g says:

Will it be an 8×10 photo of Carey Price?

If it is, I’m there.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

62. fuhgawz says:

? has yours or am i missing your point to Ian

63. Harani says:

The big news is here: Jaroslav Halak will be appearing live at Fairview shopping Centre in Pointe Claire, Quebec this Saturday from 2:00pm-4:00pm. Jaro Halak will be signing 8×10 photos for $20. ALL PROCEEDS to be donated to Ste. Justine’s Hospital in Montreal.

I thought it was going to be something big.

64. SensFanSpezza says:

Maybe that’s why your team never wins anything.

With all due respect “Sens fan” anyone who’s favourite player is Jason Spezza, is in for a much larger disappointment my friend.

He has matured some over the past bunch of years I will give you that. But he would be the last player I would pick for a team mate in any team sport.

66. nunacanadien says:

I seriously doubt Price will change.  He has proven his style, and the whole league figured it out at the All Star game a few years back.  Everyone has Price’s butterly style down pat.  No amount of team barbecues, kissing sickkids in a hospital will change Price’s hide.  The kid is nasty.  I’d rather lose against Carey Price in the odd game after he’s traded than to watch a decade of Price Hockey while the Habs slip into the Laffs mode.

67. Harani says:

Allan Walsh on twitter: Jaroslav Halak news coming in 30 minutes.

I think he’s getting married! LOL!

“I gotta feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

68. SensFanSpezza says:

If the best predictor of future behaviour is past action, Canadiens fans are in for disappointment in the crease.  A whole lot of hope seems to be hanging on Carey Price behaving differently than he has in the past.  I guess there will be many fans hoping Boone’s wisdom is off the mark.

69. Clay4bc says:

Jaro is beyond reproach. I’m sure that if anything comes out about his time in Monteal, it will be positive, or not come from him. He’s a true team player.

__________________________

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.

— George Orwell —

70. MD says:

Halak will be coming to Montreal for the “farewell tour” autograph signing.

71. HabFanSince72 says:

Or maybe it’ll be in keeping with Mr Walsh’s sense of decorum…

72. derfab says:

Hmm…. Halak? Won’t tell us but……probably was lied to before the trade. Probably is not too excited about playing in one of the least interesting cities in the league. Probably bought a new BMW with his big raise. Or maybe he’s decided to finally have hip surgery.

character is derfab destiny

73. habstrinifan says:

My question too? Guess I have become way too cynical for my first thought was some expose re habs/halak or halak/price dealings.

Hope it’s something good and positive in keeping with Halak’s decorum here in Mtl.

74. sholi2000.com says:

What’s Allen Walsh going to tweet now?  OK Mr Davidson, either play Halak 70 games, or we’re outta here.

Mr Davidson tweets-  C YA