Jaro is back … for a visit

Jaroslav Halak will be at the Fairview shopping centre in suburban Pointe Claire this Saturday afternoon between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m.

Jaro will be autographing 8×10 photos (in his Blues jersey?) for $20, with all proceeds to the Ste. Justine children’s hospital.

Speaking of signatures, do you suppose Carey Price will have signed by the time Jaro is greeted by his adoring fans?

And any suggestion that agent Allan “Let’s See What I Can Tweet to F— With Price’s Head” Walsh arranged this show to embarrass the Canadiens is purely paranoid speculation.

Sam Gagner re-ups for two years with the Oilers, and Lee Stempniak stays in Phoenix.

From Allan Muir’s mailbag in SI:

Sergei Kostitsyn in Nashville: bargain of the offseason or disaster in the making?
– Helen Stakitch, Tenn

Look, when the adjective most commonly associated with a player is “enigmatic,” it’s probably best to put your head between your knees and prepare for a rough landing. No one denies that Kostitsyn has the talent to be a productive second-line forward in the NHL. He has the skill set to chip in 20 goals and 60 points if he puts his mind to it. But what evidence is there that he will?

Some will point to his no-risk contract (one year, $550,000). If he was in it for the fat stacks, he could have piled up a lot more rubles in the KHL, so maybe he’s serious about getting his head right. And I’ve learned never to underestimate what Barry Trotz can accomplish. If there are five coaches capable of getting Kostitsyn to focus, Trotz is one of ‘em.

Hey, I like the signing. A team that needed an offensive injection at a bargain price took a chance and slapped a sweater on a player who fits the bill. But the best predictor of future behavior is past action…and we’ve all seen plenty of Kostitsyn’s selfish, mercurial play. If I had to bet, I’d put money on him wearing a different jersey after the end of this deal.

1. nunacanadien says:

I seriously doubt Price will change.  He has proven his style, and the whole league figured it out at the All Star game a few years back.  Everyone has Price’s butterly style down pat.  No amount of team barbecues, kissing sickkids in a hospital will change Price’s hide.  The kid is nasty.  I’d rather lose against Carey Price in the odd game after he’s traded than to watch a decade of Price Hockey while the Habs slip into the Laffs mode.

2. Harani says:

Allan Walsh on twitter: Jaroslav Halak news coming in 30 minutes.

I think he’s getting married! LOL!

“I gotta feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

3. Storm Man says:

Guess your drunk again.

The main ingredient in stardom is the rest of the team.

4. SensFanSpezza says:

If the best predictor of future behaviour is past action, Canadiens fans are in for disappointment in the crease.  A whole lot of hope seems to be hanging on Carey Price behaving differently than he has in the past.  I guess there will be many fans hoping Boone’s wisdom is off the mark.

5. Clay4bc says:

Jaro is beyond reproach. I’m sure that if anything comes out about his time in Monteal, it will be positive, or not come from him. He’s a true team player.

__________________________

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.

— George Orwell –

6. MD says:

Halak will be coming to Montreal for the “farewell tour” autograph signing.

7. adam76 says:

BEETS

BEARS

BATTLESTAR GALACTIA

8. adam76 says:

No – what he does in the off season is not his business if it effects the team.  The average NHL goalie plays for 6 years, during that time – your first and only goal is to your team – all 365 days a year.  Want to ride a horse, do it after you retire at the age of 31.

Agree 100% on the visor.

9. HabFanSince72 says:

Or maybe it’ll be in keeping with Mr Walsh’s sense of decorum…

10. derfab says:

Hmm…. Halak? Won’t tell us but……probably was lied to before the trade. Probably is not too excited about playing in one of the least interesting cities in the league. Probably bought a new BMW with his big raise. Or maybe he’s decided to finally have hip surgery.

character is derfab destiny

11. Bugs says:

Disagree.

A 5-0 start will overcome it.

Questionable but unactionable, it’s

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant Head Honcho to what goes down in Chinatown, Big Cheese at Flannelcorp Media, and Lead Copy-boy at Habsbros Hard Data Factory: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

12. habstrinifan says:

My question too? Guess I have become way too cynical for my first thought was some expose re habs/halak or halak/price dealings.

Hope it’s something good and positive in keeping with Halak’s decorum here in Mtl.

13. SeriousFan09 says:

Not really, what he does in the off-season is his business and he’s obviously a capable enough horseman to handle himself.

Much more annoyed when I see some of these players play the whole season without wearing a simple piece of safety equipment called a visor that could save their eyesight from sticks and pucks.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

14. sholi2000.com says:

What’s Allen Walsh going to tweet now?  OK Mr Davidson, either play Halak 70 games, or we’re outta here.

Mr Davidson tweets-  C YA

They Call Me Shane

15. Mark C says:

“Instead of doing a traditional training regime,” do you know for a fact Price is not doing a traditional training regime? To quote you in a post below, the burden of proof is on you.

16. SeriousFan09 says:

+1 for the Battlestar Galactica reference, -10 for being a self-righteous know it all who pretends he knows what Price has been doing every moment of the offseason. You have no idea what his training regimen has been anymore than what Hala’s has been.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

17. adam76 says:

So you are really fine with him playing on a pony?  No issue with this at all?

18. adam76 says:

Where in my post did I even mention Halak?

I’m upset that Price is risking injury playing on a horse when he should be doing more of a traditional off season workout.

If your happy our starter is fracking around with ponies instead of working with his goalie coach and trying to rebound form an embarrassing 2010, good for you.

19. nunacanadien says:

That’s enough from the neo-nazi Price fans.  Trying to re-write history by sadly posting stats which have little bearing on the real truth, that being Price lost games he should have won, and Halak won games he knew he had to.  Last year’s playoffs all but showed that Halak’s game is better now than Price’s.

20. Storm Man says:

Maybe so Adam76. But you have the patent on how to be a tool. Just FYI.

The main ingredient in stardom is the rest of the team.

21. nunacanadien says:

I guess we all have short memories.  Wasn’t it Roy who posted a Stanley Cup win in spite of having a very lacklustre defense and a lacklustre offense on the whole.  Like the current Habs, we had small defense compared to the other guys.  But hey, if Halak wins more than Price, of course Martin played Halak.  I am sorry for all you Price fans that Price sucked so badly he played very little last year.

22. SeriousFan09 says:

Do you what Price is doing the rest of his time he’s out in BC? No. What he’s doing isn’t a 24-hour event and he has more than enough time to take care of his personal training with his rather wide open schedule due to it being the off-season.

Quit manufacturing garbage becausse you have a hate on for the guy.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

23. ZepFan2 says:

Here is a guy who had a disaster of a season

Yup, let’s string em up then trade his sorry a$$, after having one bad season.

Seriously, you should lay off hallucinogenics for awhile.

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

24. nunacanadien says:

Are ya talking about Price here?  It seems as if you are.

25. adam76 says:

Typing “H word” makes you sound like a tool.  Just FYI.

26. nunacanadien says:

This whole Halak thing started the year Price went 4 up and 4 down, remember?  Halak filled in for most of the year that year, earning many wins, and then Gainey had to play Price and Montreal’s position tumbled under Price and we ended up in 8th spot thanks to Price losing record, which Halak’s agent quite rightly was right on the stats, Price had a whole bunch of losses in a row, a slump.  All Halak’s agent did was defend his player, as the world was wondering why Montreal after posting a decent season ending record under Halak, would not play Halak during the playoff series against the Bruins.  Instead Gainey chose to play Price who was probably still a bit stiff from being hurt and not back into shape yet.  On top of this was the dismal Allstar game, which did not help Price at all.  So really, Price is a victim of coaching, but also a victim of not stopping shots.

27. Bill J says:

WOW!

Yeah because supporting a Sports team is the EXACT same thing as the NAZIS…

How many accounts do you have Tony ?

28. Mike Boone says:

Allan Walsh

29. SLONCOLD says:

i’m sure he’ll keep it up in st louis although i’m sure the response to a high school football player signing pictures will get more attention than an nhl hockey player.

30. WarHero says:

Hey folks, from time to time I write blogs on HockeyBuzz and recently completed one with my point predictions for the Habs players. This article starts with the centers. Please feel free to read and comment. For those that have already seen it, I apologize.

————————————————————————

31. gloveside says:

Let me tell you about another group of guys that demanded complete and blind loyalty such as you espouse. They were called NAZIS. Demanding an unthinking, uncontesting rabble, willing to plunk their money down….NO WAIT that’s the Scientologists.

Either way, blind alligence isn’t real fandom, it’s Leaf Nation.

32. SnowManHabs85 says:

Halak who?

33. Storm Man says:

I don’t think the laws in the CBA can let him do that in habs gear, This why Im asking if anyone knows 100 percent for sure. I think it is great he is doing this to help kids. I hope he does the same in St. Louis

The main ingredient in stardom is the rest of the team.

34. LA Loyalist says:

Maybe it’s a Saskatchewan thing, but what is a “Dutch rubber”?

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

35. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

dude, shut the f*ck up.

36. KenD29 says:

Maybe he will sign my Habs Halak T Shirt I shelled out $30 for during the playoffs while he was carrying the team (front office) on his back!!!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

37. punkster says:

Congrats there Adam, you may have posted the most outlandishly
    speculative conspiracy assumption of the day…well so far because we
    have yet to hear from Tony. Just how this could possibly be a PR
    nightmare to anyone other than the “tinfoil hat, evil monkey in the
    bedroom closet” crowd escapes me. A pre-planned charity event was
    specifically dreamed up by Jaro, his agent, the Habs, St Justine
    Hospital or any combination of the aforementioned to embarass Price and/or the Habs? I swear, only Tony could top this one.

Back and to the left. Back and to the left.

FREE TIMO!

38. SLONCOLD says:

maybe with a blues jersey or with a Brians practise jersey (goalie pad manufacture). The thing is to raise money for kids i’m sure the league/ Habs organizations will be kool even if it uses a hab logo. i mean it’s money to help kids…

39. Storm Man says:

As do you Adam.

The main ingredient in stardom is the rest of the team.

40. Storm Man says:

Could someone fill me in on the licensing laws on what photos the H-Word can sign this coming Saturday? I would think he can’t be doing Habs Photos with his likeness on them anymore as the Blues would have something to say on this matter. I know he can sign anything a fan brings for him but I dont think he can charge 20 bucks with him in Habs gear anymore.

The main ingredient in stardom is the rest of the team.

41. adam76 says:

Price deserves every criticism he gets (and more).  Here is a guy who had a disaster of a season.  Instead of doing a traditional training regime, instead of doing a couple of hours of charity work in Montreal – hes playing on a horse, an activity 9 times more likley to cause inury as compared to mountain biking.

Even the biggest Price bunny’s HAS to be upset (although they will never admit it).

42. habstrinifan says:

Well first am gonna be thinking “look we have two fairly young fighters here” and we’ll let them go mano a mano. But then I would intervene. I would go on pedigree. I knock out the upstart… take out the one who doesnt bleed true blue blood.

Wait! That’s been done before…. sort of.

43. Storm Man says:

You need some help.

The main ingredient in stardom is the rest of the team.

44. SnowManHabs85 says:

Another funny note, all I posted was; Halak who?

45. SnowManHabs85 says:

Thanks, who knew 2 words could bring out this much posters together. Oh wait, we’re Habs fans! Of course they’re still people who respect what Halak was and is still as a player and to what he’d done with our Habs but I tend to move on and support our team this coming season. I’m getting back on to Price’s bandwagon, if you want to think about it before you hop on, might as well just bash Leaf fans while you’re at it. No one’s bashing Halak. I’ll cheer for Price to succeed and if he doesn’t this season, I’ll wait next season, and the season after that, as long as he’s a Hab, not just him, every Hab player because one thing we learned against the Philly series is the whole team needs to produce, not just on our goaltender. We got beaten by Leighton if you wanna look at it “Single handedly”.

And Halak who?

46. habstrinifan says:

Nice one! A couple more and you can quit your day job. Maybe warm up the crowd at rodeo socials. Why do I have rodeos on my mind?

47. Bill J says:

“Next one” comparisons will never stop, they’ve been around for over 30 years & that’s just from my own personal experience of watching Hockey.

There has already been 2-3 Gretzky “next ones”

several Orr “next ones” including one who wears the CH these days.

Howe’s … ;)

MANY, MANY Dryden &/or Roy next ones…

Do I agree with the Price next ones ? Yes & No, however more in the sense I believe he will be the next “great goalie” in a long line of superstar goalies to wear the CH.

Only Price and his teammates can “write their history” and determine who Price will be…

At 23, IMO, it is FAR too early to throw in the towel on him.  Borderline insanity to dump on him…

48. Bugs says:

Thanks, guys.

Gonna keep on pluggin for yehs now.

Questionable but unactionable, it’s

49. adam76 says:

His rodeo contract.

50. punkster says:

My goodness, great read! So much more interesting than the shi*fest of a language debate going on up top. An English language debate no less.

FREE TIMO!

51. habstrinifan says:

While I cannot be described as a Price apologist, even I am beginning to feel sorry for the guy. Here’s Jaro, in habs backyard,  signing autographs and greeting fans and supporting St Justine children’s hospital and basically saying to Mtl fans …. see what a fine fellow I am.

And meanwhile our number #1 goalie is winning “golden lariats” and earning his “spurs” in Calgary or wherever the current rodeo tourney is being held. Am I being cowboy challenged by putting rodeo and tourney in the same sentence.

He’s building a public relations nightmare that nothing short than a 5 and 0 start with first or 2nd star performances will overcome.

Gonna be fun!

52. SensFanSpezza says:

In that case, it’s a good thing Jaro’s quick enough to stop the second shot too!

53. ooder says:

at 5″7 and 140 lbs

i would roundhouse kick Laraque

then tell him i’m not a fighter and eat a carrot in front of him

——————