Jagr interested in joining Habs?

stu1

After three seasons in the KHL, former Penguins, Caps and Rangers star Jaromir Jagr wants to return to the NHL and he’s identified the Canadiens as one of the teams he’d like to join.

“There’s a possibility, yes. My agent has talked to teams,” Jagr told Pierre Lebrun of ESPN.com from his native Czech Republic.

“First we’d have to see if it can happen,” he added. “But if it happened, it would be very exciting. It also would be a nice challenge. There would be some people who think I’m not good enough.”

Jagr’s agent is former Canadiens defenceman Petr Svoboda. “I’ve talked to Montreal, I’ve talked to Detroit, a few other teams called once they found out he was ready to go to [the] NHL,” Svoboda told Lebrun on Friday. “Hopefully we should have a better idea by tomorrow. There’s quite a few teams that have interest. Jaromir feels he’s NHL-ready again. I believe this might happen.”

Red Wings GM Ken Holland confirmed to Lebrun his team was one of Jagr’s target clubs. “We have been contacted and we have interest. We’re exploring our interest,” Holland said.

Svoboda said Jagr is only looking for a one-year deal. He has been playing for Avangard Omsk in Russia’s KHL and could end up returning there if he doesn’t make a deal with an NHL team. The Penguins were not among the teams that were in the mix, according to Svoboda.

“We’ll see what happens. I think the decision is going to be made soon,” Jagr said. “I have to decide soon if I stay in Russia because training camp starts two months earlier.”

And McGuire had this assessment of his former player, who he helped draft fifth overall in 1990 and coached when the Penguins won the 1992 Stanley Cup: “He’ll help your power play. He can still shoot the puck, he can still pass the puck. His legs aren’t the same as they used to be; I think Jaromir would be the first person to tell you that. The hands haven’t left him yet, which is a good thing for a player like that, but he can really help you on the power play. And if you were behind in a game you could probably use him every other shift for a while and he might be able to get you back into the game.”

The only downside McGuire envisioned would be the potential for injury, that he’s had groin and hipflexor problems recently, although he has a very powerful lower body and McGuire didn’t think that would be a major problem.

McGuire added one the biggest issue he thought might inhibit Jagr coming to Montreal would be the taxation issues, saying his pay would be taxed at over 50 percent.

Melnick and co-host Rod Francis brought up that Jagr has played on a line with both Tomas Plekanec (for the Czech national team) and Scott Gomez before, although as Francis pointed out, Jagr’s chemistry with Gomez when they were both on the Rangers was not especially good.

Just in case you’ve forgotten, here are some of Jagr’s better moments during his NHL prime.

1. Welcome to PrivateCPR.com! Here at Private CPR Classes , CPR class nyc and CPR Class we believe the best approach to learning and understanding key concepts and applications is with the “hands on” real time approach with immediate remediation and feedback.

2. sally122 says:

Why add Jagr with another midget Cammy? All we’ll watch is two very talented players skate fast and not connect. We don’t have enough size on the team to protect Jagr either.
    I am seeking a good man who can give me real love , so i got a username Andromeda2002 on–s’e'ek’c'ou’ga’r.c óm–.it is the first and best club for y’ounger women and old’er men, or older women and y’ounger men,to int’eract with each other. Maybe you wanna ch’eck ‘it out or tell your friends!

3. nunacanadien says:

We are already overpaying Gomez, why add a Czech Gomez to the line? He is not big by NHL standards Jagr, and he can be easily outmuscled. Sure we can watch Jagr and Pleks skate fast and lose the puck just as fast. Is it worth throwing the cap space away when there are other equally talented players out there? Sure the taxes are heavy and hard, but hey these bastards are millionairres, the rich getting richer, so why make excuses for the rich sons-of-a-b*tches?

4. Shiloh says:

I’d like to see it happen, but Jagr has always followed the dollar – and it sounds like Detroit is willing to pay more.

5. bolder says:

Jagr won’t fit into the “count system” He’ll be floating around in the neutral zone, while the other four players are in their own zone playing goalie. He’ll be a -25 by mid-season.

6. Jdub1985 says:

But Jagr is not french?

7. habs-hampton says:

We need to draft a guy who just plain score! We can teach him to play defensively, but you can’t teach offense!!

8. Bill J says:

Tony Marinaro tweeted today that this is old news, and that PG told Jagr no thanks.

For what it’s worth…

9. gerrybell says:

a big left winger that only wants a one year deal? sound pretty good to me. a #1 winger isnt something the habs have in abundance. at the right price this could be a nice fit.

jagr – plek – cammy
    max – gomez – gionta
    kosti – eller – darche
    ????- desharne – white (pyatt extra forward)

g
    b

• SnowManHabs85 says:

How about..
      cammy – pleky – jagr
      max – gomez – gio
      pouliot – eller – ak
      darche – desharnais – white

I still like Pouliot, he is still young and i think once he hits his prime, that will be the Pouliot we will be waiting for. He’s not older than me and i’m still learning myself from the vets.

“Responding to the media , or playing to the media, or listening to the fans is the quickest way to start losing” – Sam Pollock

• Dim_anas says:

i like pouliot too but gomez has to get traded !jeez !AK second line with gio and a new player !sounds perfect !Jagr come in MTL !at midseason 40 POINTS :)

• nunacanadien says:

Jagr a big left winger at 5’11? The Stanley Cup game showed us that 5’11 gets you out in the first round.

So how can we even entertain supporting an expensive cap hit if only for one year when we don’t have any player who can help to defend our very fragile midgets who get hurt at the slightest check?

• SnowManHabs85 says:

Cammy has been a playoff point monster and would you rather trade him for a regular season 6’2” monster? 5’11 is a reasonable height for a player, and maybe yourself isn’t even 5’11. Jagr still shown he can be hard to get puck off him and on the boards too. Ak is still in the roster to fill if there’s any potential injury to Jagr himself.

What really defeated us in last playoff run was our dmen were slow, Hamrlik took stupid penalties because he out with his position. A young D core like to support the vets can help our goals agaisnt next season;

Subban – Markov
          Spacek – Yemelin
          Gorges – Gill
          Diaz – Weber

Don’t forget, Habs were shutout 8 times last season. If you’re looking for size, there’s Max Pac, Pouliot, Moen, AK, if maybe, Jagr on each 4 lines. White with grit. 6 out of 12 players on the forwards roster.

10. cuzzie says:

No Thanks. Give me Konopka not some has been.

11. Chris F says:

Some of the comments on here are hilarious. People saying Jagr can take a spot until “Palushaj” is ready!! C’mon people, the last thing Montreal needs is another guy who is 5’11″, 190 lbs. Yeah, he might make it, but he’ll replace a guy like Pyatt and play third line minutes and kill penalties. Take a look at the long list of AHL superstars, it doesn’t always correlate.
    Bottom line: WE DON’T HAVE WHAT WE NEED TO IMPROVE THE TEAM IN HAMILTON!!! Good on them for playing so well together, great run dogs, but what we need is a big, strong, tough, in your face, a body with skill who is at least 6’3″, and 220 lbs. If PG can’t deliver this thru free agency or via a trade where we keep our team in tack, well……………..we will be right back here next year wondering why our team didn’t win it all
    Spacek must go……as much as depth on D is important, Weber plays the same game and is 50 years younger.
    DD is great, but if he has to be traded, to get bigger , so be it. Bob made the decision on what small players to keep, and their names are Gionta, Cammy, Plekanecs, and Gomez. There is no longer room for DD, unless his linemates are two brutes who can skate, fight, and score.
    Anyone who thinks the Wiz won’t be missed is nuts. He stood up to Shane Hnidy and served him his lunch, it was amazing, and the bench went nuts. I love Markov, but he’s not scaring anyone. And I agree, PK has taken over his spot.
    Stop the insanity of thinking Hamilton has the players that will put us over the top, Palushaj et al are simply third liners. Period.

12. shuttle-lemaire-lafleur says:

No to Jagr…the Habs needs toughness !! He is injury prone, especially at his age…sorry Jammy, you are not the piece required to put this team over the top. Just my opinion…rag me all you want, jus sayin’.

13. RobertAlanFord says:

We’ve heard this song before. Jagr may have the Habs in mind but I doubt the feeling is mutual at the moment. PG has enough on his plate with the upcoming draft and ufas. Once all these dealt with then he may entertain these little add ons …… budget permitting of course.

Speaking of the draft……….. I put my money on Mark McNeill. Just what the doctor ordered and ranked 13th amongst skaters by thescoutingreport.org and 17th overall by The Hockey News.

14. Un Canadien errant says:

Hockey News reports JP Dumont may get his contract bought out by Nashville.

I lost sight of him since he left Buffalo. His stats are awful the last couple years. Does anyone know what’s the matter with him, injuries, …?

A couple years ago I would have loved to have that guy on our roster.

Info please.

EDIT: Here is one blurb I found on The Hockey News.

2010/12/08: J.P. Dumont has seen limited action for the Predators the past few games. His ice time has dropped below 10 minutes the last three contests and he played a mere 4:30 against Carolina on Saturday night. Coach Barry Trotz was asked about Dumont’s game and he had this to say: “He’s doing everything as a pro. He’s one of those guys, he’s a great per-son and a great pro. When he gets away from the details of the game, it hurts him. He has to skate all the time. That’s his key. The game has chan-ged a lot. If you look at J.P., that’s not his strength – his ove-rall ska-ting. His strength is some of the offen-sive ins-tincts, so the game has really gone quickly, and when he’s not ska-ting, he’s not as effec-tive as he can be. He’s wor-king on his game. He has fallen off a little bit and he’s trying to pick it up. I’m not too worried about him.” (Source: Predators Insider)

———————————
    “I hate the Bruins more than the Nordiques, who I hate more than the Flyers.”

15. kirkiswork says:

Who give a crap what Mcguire said?

16. slychard says:

U sure on gomer I coulda swear it went 4.5 and 4? Ur probably right. Anyway Spacek does seem like a good dude but let’s face it he has really been slow so I would rather see him go and make
    room for younger bigger dmen

• Mike D says:

capgeek.com and nhlnumbers.com are great resources for salaries and cap hits for all NHL players and teams.

As for Spatch, I’m just not sure how he can help us anymore and we could really use the 3.83mil of cap space his contract is currently taking up. If I had it my way, our D next year would be Marky, PK, Wiz, Yemelin, Gorges, Gill, and Weber. Those 7 guys together would bring a lot of offense with reliable defense. Not a ton of size or physicality, but Yemelin is billed to have that in his game and both Wiz and PK can throw checks and punches if need be.

- Honestly yours

17. slychard says:

I would trade Spacek for a 3rd or 4th round choice. Gomez? Maybe we could get a couple blade protecters but he won’t become tradeable until after this next season when his cap hit drops from 7.5 to 4.5 and finally 4 million so were stuck with him atleast a year. Hopefully gomer makes good on his year end statement of embarrassment and comes back strong for next season, he certainly can’t do worst.
    But one never knows.

• Mike D says:

I would trade Spacek for a 9th rounder if it meant we could keep Marky and Wiz. No offense to Jaro cuz he seems like a good dude.

Not sure we’d get a 3rd or 4th rounder for a too-old Dman making almost 4mil even if it is only for 1 more year, but keeping my fingers crossed PG can make something happen without taking a hindering contract in return.

BTW – Gomez’s cap hit remains at 7.357mil for the next 3 seasons, but his salary over that time-frame goes from 7.5mil, to 5.5mil, to 4.5mil respectively.

- Honestly yours

18. ZepFan2 says:

@Tony Mclean

Here’s the Lecavalier article you couldn’t find on google…

It was Pleks and Price. Not Koivu and Gomez.

———————————————————————-
    Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

• D Mex says:

Didn’t Gainey report that the trade with TB fell apart when (then TB GM) Lawton double clutched and tried to use their agreement-in-principle as leverage elsewhere ?

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

• Mike D says:

We as fans likely rarely ever get the TRUE story. All I know is that I’m extremely happy it fell through and didn’t happen! Vinny has the worst contract in hockey and that’s saying a lot considering the Bobby Lu and Kovy II disasters. Gomez’s is really bad but compared to these 3 is much more tolerable.

- Honestly yours

*Edit – Not to mention the DiPietro nightmare!

• D Mex says:

Understood : my recollection is that Gainey talked about this at a press conference and was properly POd about what Lawton had done, or tried to do, and there was speculation (concern) the trade waters with TB had been poisoned as a result
          - does this sound right ?

ALWAYS Habs -
          D Mex

• Mike D says:

I do definitely recall seeing Gainey at a press conference being upset with TB’s GM about leaking info about a trade to other GM’s. Not sure if that was the reason that particular trade fell through or not though.

- Honestly yours

• Bill J says:

Thank you, lol. I was beginning to think I stepped into the twilight zone last night :S.

• ZepFan2 says:

No problem.

I knew it wasn’t what Tony posted. Koivu and Gomez were never on the Habs at the same time.

———————————————————————-
        Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

19. TINMAN17 says:

Could we package Spacek and somebody else, for more cap space, maybe for JP Dumont and sign Wiz? I know Dumont has sucked lately but maybe with a change of scenery??? Who knows.

Born and Bred in Enemy Territory (Boston).

• Mike D says:

Who were you thinking of packaging with Spacek? Assuming they re-sign Weber and O’Brien, the Preds are all set on D and likely have no use for Spacek.

- Honestly yours

• mike3131 says:

They could still use a veteran presence for their youngsters like, Blum and Franson. He can share the 6th D spot with Bouillon. They also have a ton of cap space.

♪ And we’re livin’ here in Allentown… ♪

• Mike D says:

I’m not against moving Spacek, I just don’t think Nashville is a likely trading partner. They have no need for another vet Dman with Frankie B there. Plus, with guys like Shea Weber and Ryan Suter the need for vet Dmen isn’t as great. They’ve already got 7 NHL caliber Dmen and I doubt they would trade one of their younger guys for Spacek. We have plenty of Dmen too if we re-sign Marky and Gorges (and possibly Wiz).

- Honestly yours

• TINMAN17 says:

I just want Spacek gone and Wiz signed. Dumont was me thinking out loud I guess. He speaks french, I believe, and maybe a change of scenery would do him good.

Born and Bred in Enemy Territory (Boston).

20. slychard says:

As I mentioned
    in a previous post I would welcome Jarg on our line, maybe he could help Pouliot by making him work out with him on his legendary rigourous leg training program he does. It would help Pouliot stay on his skates more than on his ass one would hope.

21. slychard says:

Sloppy shoulders perhaps but svoboda was a pretty decent defenceman. It does remind me of a Denis Leary stand up act I once saw while living in Boston and he mentioned Svoboda with a caved in chest, quite hylariois. But he did win us a cup

22. habstrinifan says:

I cannot believe some of the ‘fandom’ here. One of the most astonishing post describes the 2011-2012 roster of forward line combination as well-balanced; deep and CAN MIX IT UP.

We achieved this remarkable transformation froom last year by adding Jagr!… yes only Jagr!

Come on people! If PG does not make some acquisitions to fill the needs that this team has..we will end up being the ‘original six in the east’ with the longest cup drought.

Geez!

• mike3131 says:

habstrinifan – I am for signing Jagr, but if not, I hope PG can find another top six guy (Laich or someone) who can play alongside Plekanec and Cammalleri because I want to see AK play on the third line with Eller and maybe Darche. It IS an improvement from last year if Cammy can stay healthy and scores 30-40 goals, Gomez gets at least 50 pts, and Eller is more consistent in his 2nd year with us. It is not “astonishing” if you actually read and understand my reasoning.

♪ And we’re livin’ here in Allentown… ♪

23. eight way bananas says:

I do not know what to make of this, I mean he did play very well with Pleks at the World Championships, but on the flipside: he is a little old and may be a little rusty with the north american rinks

You win by scoring more goals than you let in

24. RiverviewCanadien says:

I really hope Gauthier can get this done. When was the last time the Habs had a player with this much talent (Le Petit Viking)? Kovalev was good, but he ain’t no Jagr, and I think Jagr could play with as much intensity as Kovy did in the 07-08 season.

- If Pacioretty doesn’t miss a beat…Gomez and Gionta will be better and that has the potential for a lot of goals.
    - Allows Pleks to play 2nd line with Camms and Jagr, reduced minutes, more offense, with one of the best 2 way forwards in the league (Pleks). Plekanec will be more rested for PP and PK duty.
    - You still have Kostitsyn with Eller, Darche, Moen, and many other RFA talent to fill in on the 3rd or 4th line.
    - The D. Who knows for sure, but I bet it will be one of the best in the league. Markov, Gill, Subban, Gorges, Spacek, Weber?, Yemelin?, The Wiz?
    - Not to mention the net is pretty safe for a long time…Carey proved that this year.

Looks like a pretty decent hockey team to me.

It appears that the filter is set to disallow posting more than 1 URL per comment. Sorry for spamming my avatar. There was no other way to get my post through.

26. PeterD says:

I would love to see Jagr with Plex and Cammi…nicew offensive upside on at least one line.
    Maybe with Patches back in form and Gomez having a redemption season along with Gio, we could have a second effective offensive line.

If you want to see his more recent material take a look at this video. –> http://bit.ly/jrdakc

His KHL stats. –> http://bit.ly/iPLhGf

HH approves of Jagr coming to Montreal for one year.

He came in 10th over-all in scoring in the KHL. –> http://bit.ly/euK49J

• habstrinifan says:

That’s not very good is it?

Put it this way.. would you take player 1 thru 9 and put him on our top line?

If NO… then why is Jagr worth spending the dough on.

BTW. He’s still scoring at a point per game pace.

See for yourself. –> http://bit.ly/ggsgqC

There’s quite a few teams that have interest. That must certainly mean he’s useless.

BTW. He’s still scoring at a point per game pace.

See for yourself. –> http://bit.ly/ggsgqC

He came in 10th over-all in scoring in the KHL. –> http://bit.ly/euK49J

His KHL stats. –> http://bit.ly/iPLhGf

HH approves of Jagr coming to Montreal for one year.

32. 365fan says:

The best argument in favour of signing JJ68 may be that if the chemistry between he and Gomez was bad enough, Gomez might say “I refuse to play on the same team as Jagr!”.

33. smiler2729 says:

From the Not-To-Be-Taken-Seriously-Ever Dept.

Petr Slowpy Shoulders Svoboda is Jammy Jagr’s agent LOL lol lol lol lol

“If the Bruins played the Taliban, I’d root for the Taliban”

34. 365fan says:

My guess is that Jagr is a guy with a very large ego (nothing unusual or wrong about that ) who wants to show the NHL/hockey world that he still “got it”. He will sign with the team that gives him the best chance to do that. He wants the spotlight back. A year in Montreal would give him a PhD in spotlight. He may also sense that Montreal gave the Cup champs their most serious challenge and that the annual Lidstrom watch in Detroit (plus the loss of Rafalski) means that Detroit is no longer the destination that it once was (see Cujo, 2002). I thing PG can get him if he wants him. If JJ68 (may as well start referring to him by initials) was worried about taxes he would stay in the KHL. He wants the heat and Montreal can give it to him.

35. HabFanSince72 says:

Bugz’s completely over the top attack on Stu (see below) reminds me that he used to spam us with links to his own blog at every occasion. (I’m guessing he had to shut down the blog due to lack of traffic. it was very lame, as one might expect.)

Here’s a little quote from Vaclav Havel for you Bugz:

“In the subconsciousness of haters there slumbers a perverse feeling that they alone possess the truth, that they are some kind of superhumans or even gods, and thus deserve the world’s complete recognition, even its complete submissiveness and loyalty, if not its blind obedience. They want to be the centre of the world and are constantly frustrated and irritated because the world does not accept and recognize them as such; indeed, it may not even pay any attention to them, and perhaps it even ridicules them,”

• Bugs says:

(chuckle) Ah, the grandstanding of amateur psychologists, I love it.
      1. Clicking on my name takes you right to the Habsbros site. Only need to specifically link new stories now.
      2. There were no more new stories after Game 2 of the ECF quarter-finals because all we care about is the ADVANCEMENT of the Montreal Canadiens, so there was nothing further to write about. (Check in July 2nd perhaps)
      Sooo…yyeah; keep “guessin”, Sincey.
      As for Vaclav Havel (didn’t he play for the Colorado Rockies?) and his pearls of wisdom, I wonder if he woulda said the same if Stu had been propping up the leafs first time on HIS favorite team’s site…
      But hey, as long we’re using obscure references to support our arguments: “Hatred strikes me as one of the few signs of life remaining in the world. This is another thing about the world which is upside-down: all the friendly and likable people seem dead to me; only the haters seem alive.”
      Walker Percy

The LEAFS, Sincey! He got what he deserved and I’m not sorry one bit. Even though I recognized myself that it was “mean”, I’d do it again.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

36. FishOutOfWater says:

i still think we can sign wiz at 3.5 and get jagr too, for fun really hamr is off the books and carey will play for less at long term. winning formula really

WTF is up with this? –> Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Nice way way to stymie debate.

If you want to see his more recent material take a look at this video.

BTW. He’s still scoring at a point per game pace. See for yourself. And he came in 10th over-all in scoring in the KHL this season. His KHL stats.

HH approves of Jagr coming to Montreal for one year.

39. adam76 says:

Tom Nickle said this is done, why is it in question? He is a coach, and NOT in pee wee.

40. spaccamuro says:

For the right price I would sign Jagr in a flash. He will most likely cost less than AK47 and still produce more pts than him at almost 40yrs of age. Also as one journalist pointed out the other day Gauthier should play the Holmgren card and go over the cap during the summer and sign Wiz. He has the whole summer to figure out what to do with Spacek. If no one bites for Spacek send him to the minors , your D with Wiz Subban Markov Gorges Weber Yemelin is set for many years to come. All great teams solidify their D and goaltending before tackling upfront!!!

• Marc10 says:

Spacek will count against the cap no matter what because he was over 35 when signed (or something to that effect). Best bet to save money is to bury Gomer if you need to. That you can do if you’re pushed into a corner.

5 for 5 if what it’s likely going to cost for Wiz. That’s a lot of dosh if you’re keeping Markov, paying for PK, Max Pac, Eller and Pricey in the next couple of years and shelling out for the Cap, Pleks and Cams for a good while longer. You best find a way not to hand out No Trade Clauses in that arrangement…

“To be irreplaceable, you have to be different”.
      Andy Warhol

Go PK Go!

• Tony McLean says:

Markov hasn’t played in two years and may never be the same or may crack up again. He’s not the bionic man. PK looks to be taking his place – esp if Wiz stays we can cover his departure. Size is more important.

“Rebuilding since 1979.”

41. Marc10 says:

Well let’s look at what the Habs need and weigh up the bang for the buck on this one.

1) More goals. I think it’s within reason to expect that if Jagr is on the PP, he’ll put in 20 over 65+ games. And guys playing with him will get a few more too.

2) Adds to depth on the roster, pushes talent down to Eller and DD’s lines. Frees up smaller players to do more.

3) Sets an example for underachieving talented players. That skillset doesn’t go away.

4) For better or worse… takes the spotlight off Gomer.

Downside:

1) Could be a spent force and costs money

2) Could mess up team chemistry and set a bad example for the kids

The only reason we’re talking about this is because there’s very little out there in UFA land and the Habs do need more goals and a big winger that can put some fear into opposing D… and yeah, Jagr fits that mould.

“To be irreplaceable, you have to be different”.
    Andy Warhol

Go PK Go!

SUMMIT INFORMATION– STU, see you at the Summit this year!!!

Everyone be ready again this year to send me a money order for game seats as soon as the club notifies me at the end of July, as to price and sections available. If you are interested in better, but more expensive seats as well, we will be able to get them this year. Our HIO group is being given preferential treatment. We have a choice of how many seats and in better sections if we want them. Let me know after I get all the information.

Every one is welcome to this years HIO Summit in Montreal, bring the whole family and meet your fellow HIO family members this year.

I received two letters pertaining to our Annual Hockey Inside Out Fan Weekend Summit. One from Anna Gainey thanking us for our donation of $1200 again this past year to the Gainey Children’s Foundation. Hockey Inside Out Hab Fans have now raised over $5000 in total for this charity. We are a very generous group!

I also received a letter from Reg Houle thanking us for our continued support. And that he will see us all at next years Summit

And below I received a letter reminding us that the dates for our next years Summit will be out at the end of July. I will pick the best dates that gives us a game Friday at Hurley’s and Saturday at the Bell Center.
    (give me your suggestions, early in the season or later ?)

So pay attention to the site so you do not miss out on 2012 Summit tickets that have to be paid and ordered well in advance.
    Some disappointed HIO people missed out on tickets last year because they were on summer vacation when we collected for the tickets and ordered them.

I will repost this a few more times so more people will be informed.

Dear Mr. Cobb,

On behalf of the entire Canadiens organization, I would like to thank you for your support during this past hockey season. Gathering a group of fans for a game at the Bell Centre requires a lot of time on the part of the group organizer. To that end, your involvement is greatly appreciated.

Though our playoff run was unfortunately too short, it was nevertheless exciting from start to finish. Pierre Gauthier and his team are already planning for next season and we feel we can build on a solid core of promising young players and talented veterans.

At the end of July, we will forward to you the official home game calendar for the 2011-12 season and all the details regarding group sales and our ice rental programs. The information will also be available at the same time on our Web site, canadiens.com.

I would like to take this opportunity to wish you a great summer – I’m looking forward to seeing you in September. Until then, please do not hesitate to communicate with me or our group sales team.

Regards,
    Pierre Constant
    Director, Group Sales
    Club de hockey Canadien

43. Tony McLean says:

Bernie Smilovitz of the Detroit NBC affiliate reports Ken Holland as saying the Red Wings are interested and actively pursuing Jagr.

44. nek25plus says:

ooooooohhhhhh nooooooooooo….we cannot waste our money on a guy who is trying to make up the money he lost gambling! Why would we want someone who the RANGERS happily let go! Torts would have killed him!

This guy is a bad example to all kids coming in…NO JAGR! It would be like taking Lecavalier.

45. Neutral says:

what a way to waste $2,000.000 when he signs the dotted line he’ll play like a $2,000,000 player guys at the end of the road is not stupid they already have their money made. Gomez a good example laughing all the way to the bank.

46. bobinsask says:

The highest marginal tax rate in Quebec is below 50%, actually closer to 48%. In Ontario it is about 46%. In Michigan the top marginal rate for combined Federal and State tax is about 40%, so Quebec is higher but it is not as outrageous as some would believe.

47. eric says:

For the right price on a one year deal I think it would be good for the habs while Palujah developes in the Ahl.He couldn’t hurt the team and I’m sure he would get 50 or 60 pts and be good on the PP with Markov etc.

48. chinahab says:

No no no no no. This is not how you build a winner. He’s over the hill and not a team player. If there was one reason the Habs have overperformed in the playoffs the past few years it’s becasue they are a tight team. This is not a tight-team player. He’s a prickly, me-first guy. And he’s over the hill.
    More practically, to get him, we’ll have to pay more than others because of the local tax rates. So it’ll be another too-expensive free agent signing.

• mike3131 says:

I don’t think you would be captain of 2 teams and win the Art Ross (nominated for 5 others) as well as 3 Lester B. Pearson awards (nominated for 3 others) if you were a “prickly, me-first guy”.

♪ And we’re livin’ here in Allentown… ♪

49. Habfan4lfe says:

Video is all ancient stuff, what matters is what he do for us now. I don’t get the point of the video. Wewwww, nice movies 10+ years ago. Ok…

50. adamkennelly says:

Habs need muscle – period. People need to understand the impact a few tough guys (who can play) will have on the confidence of our skilled players most of the time. Don’t tell me about the Savard hit – etc as examples against it – most shifts our skilled guys will benefit from playing on a team that can’t be intimidated and out muscled. Jarred Boll, Brandon Prust – even Cam Janssen who can check and fight – all good additions – I think we need 2 of them. Mike Rupp and Jarred Boll in our line up any night is better than Pyatt and Darche – because of the impact it has on making our best players better.

• Stuck_in_To. says:

That is interesting because even in my Monday night schmuck league the last thing I need is someone trying to out body and out muscle the jar heads on the other team and stirring up all kinds of macho crap. What I can really use is someone with a good outlet pass or someone with wheels that I can headman to so that we can all skate out of that crap. But I guess this is the NHL and not my Monday night league.

51. Bugs says:

Haw-haw, lookit Stu. Finally caught on no one gives a dang about his Bruin’n'leaf-lovin posts so desperately throws in 3-week-old “scoop” with hail Mary supporting video to garner some kinda feedback.
    Yeah, man, we KNOW about Jagr. Does he really, really, REALLY want to throw himself under a grinding 82-game pressure-filled spotlight or is he just flattering his ego and shinin on his Omsk handlers for more dough, yeah, yeah, yeah.
    Come or stay, sign or don’t, I doubt there’ll be screamin from the rooftops either way.
    This story is so LAME now, but hey, what do WE think about it, eh, Stu? That’s the REAL question. How to get people to “talk about the issues”, right?
    I got an idea for your next one: “Should Mtl re-sign Markov?” That’s…”bringing the issue to the HILT”, you know?
    …for the hundredth friggin time…

…man, i’m a real bastich, aren’t i?…that was so mean…
    But hey, his very first post was on the leafs, and what about the leafs, and what do we think about the leafs; that’s right, his VERY FIRST, and…well, he brought it on himself.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• Everlasting1 says:

The Blues re-sign Czech native Vladimir Sobotka to a contract extention. How do you like them carrots? (dangles one in front of nose). :P

——————————————————————-
      ” There were giants on the earth in those days; and also after that (The Deluge), when the Sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bore children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.” Genesis 6:4

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• saskhabfan says:

Blues could have had tim thomas for a 7th round pick last summer but instead gave up a first rounder for what is looking like a one-hit-wonder in halak. It’s pretty bad when the only 2 goalies who were worse then halak save percentage wise in the world championships were the 2 goalies from austria. (dangles on in front of nose)

• Clay says:

You’re losing respect Bugs…seriously, this not called for.
      Post your ridiculous replies ’till the cows come home, but show some respect for someone who is a real writer, not a wannabe one like you.

__________________________
      Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.

Winston Churchill

52. shootdapuck says:

Jagr heard there was a casino closeby and that sealed the deal!

… the fans of the Boston Bruins now have lost forever any right to complain that “the league” is out to get their team, and that the Montreal Canadiens have some kind of pull inside the NHL home office.

Charles P. Pierce – Boston Globe

53. habsfaninboston says:

He and Pleks really clicked in the Worlds. I think the tax issue may prevent him from coming here.

54. mike3131 says:

If we sign him, our top 9 would be set:

Cammy – Plecks – Jagr
    Max – Gomez – Gio
    AK – Eller – Darche

This is a top 9 that is well balanced, deep and can mix it up.
    If Jagr accepts a reasonable pay, for one year, than why not sign him? But the question is how much would you consider “reasonable”?

♪ And we’re livin’ here in Allentown… ♪ – Stu (Hangover 2)

55. Question? How are the Habs organization going to protect PK Subban against the Bruins next season? The Bruins go after our star player and have no one to take on the likes of Lucic, Chara, Horton, Boychuck, Ference, Marchand, McQuaid are just a few to take shots at him night in and night out when they meet. Some say we do not need guys? What are going to say when PK is constantly being the marked man the Bruins will target at will and knoeingly the Habs players cannot do anything about it. The Habs will lose more battles than wins and can have all the skill players with speed but cannot defend if challenged.

• Mark C says:

Marchand? You mean this cat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMVSwVZqvTQ

Subban can handle himself fine vs. those guys.

• mike3131 says:

I could watch that over and over again all day! And you mean Rat.

♪ And we’re livin’ here in Allentown… ♪ – Stu (Hangover 2)

• mike3131 says:

No but seriously in regards to how we protect PK and our stars from them goons, we do not need enforcers that fight but can’t play hockey (Macintyre, Scott), we need guys that can fight but also play (Rupp, Konopka, Artyukhin?, Eager?) and match them up against Lucic when we’re killing them on the scoreboard and there is 2 minutes left and they decide to “send a message”. Moen also has to step up in the physical department because he wasn’t nearly as physical in 2010-11 as he was in 2009-10 (pbbly because he was given a top-6 role – not his fault).

♪ And we’re livin’ here in Allentown… ♪

• 365fan says:

I agree. There were games against Boston when Lucic, Horton, Boychuk and Thornton were genuinely trying to INJURE PK. They will do the same thing next year. My only modification is that I want us to have a real nuclear deterrent next year that will intimidate those clowns. The purpose of this is to protect our key guys so that they can contribute in the playoffs. I am willing to tolerate a guy for the regular season, even if he doesn’t play in the playoffs, purely as a regular season insurance policy. My nomination is John Scott. I don’t know if he has ever lost a fight in the NHL.

• mike3131 says:

Good idea 365, we could sign a John Scott type of player for the season and play him against teams like Boston and Philly. However, JM probably wouldn’t play him “see Laraque” and he shouldn’t be in the lineup come playoffs.

♪ And we’re livin’ here in Allentown… ♪

• Everlasting1 says:

Good check, but no damage done. Shame.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Tony McLean says:

They are pacifist fruit loops, what did they or their Smurfs do about the beheading of MaxPac? Koombayah my friend. Shame.

“Rebuilding since 1979.”

56. TorontoHabsFan says:

Ooph, somehow I have the feeling that Jagr in Montreal will end up looking an awful lot like Sundin in Vancouver or Hull in Phoenix (or Kovalev in Ottawa for that matter).

I strongly suspect there’s very little left in that tank – that he might be decent as a PP specialist but doesn’t have the legs for a regular top 6 shift.

(but then I’m openly hoping for the return of Tanguay…so what do I know?)

57. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Jagr has already said no to coming to the Habs. As soon as he heard his agent say, “they will tax you over 50 percent”, he said “hmmmm, better give detroit a call back”.

58. solomio says:

Tell Gomez to pay half of Jagr’s salary or its to Hamilton with him!!

59. savethepuck says:

I would like this signing especially if some of the reports are correct in the 2 Mil or under range ( would he not want more here than anywhere else because of the tax issue that hinders our organization?). Yes he’s older than he was when he left the NHL apprx 4 years ago, but I watched him in the Olympics and this past Worlds and I thought that although not always the best player on the ice, I still found him to be very effective.

“That beautiful bastard scored semi-conscious.” On the Rocket’s Game 7 game winning goal against the Bruin’s April, 1952

60. Sean Bonjovi says:

“Speaking with Mitch Melnick on Team 990 Friday afternoon, Pierre McGuire said Jagr would be most beneficial to a team that had a chance to win the Stanley Cup, less so to a mid-pack team or a rebuilding team.”

Hypocrisy before the fact. According to Pierre McGuire, If Jagr signs in Montreal he’ll be too old and PG will be stupid for signing him. If Jagr signs with any other team it’ll be a great move, and Pierre will call him a “Monster” and a “Difference Maker” because Jagr “Gets it”. Pierre McGuire is a small, bitter man.

P.S. IMO “Gets it” is the funniest Pierre McGuire catchphrase.

* Ville Leino would make Sergei Samsonov look like Alex Kovalev *

• DearyLeary says:

Still feels snubbed by the Habs for hiring Gainey as GM instead of him.

• HalifaxHabs says:

I can’t wait for the day some stupid team hires him, for some reason, and he leaves the broadcast booth.

• otter649 says:

@DearyLeary – Maguire is getting abit of a list for being snubbed -
        Calgary,Tampa,Montreal & Minnesota. Until Maguire gets some practical current front office experience he will not get hired by a NHL team as a GM with only a tv/media background for the last 15 years or so…….

• otter649 says:

I heard the interview with Melnick – Love the part where Maguire says he part of the scouting decision to draft Jagr quite believeable since Maguire was in his first year in The NHL with The Pens & I am sure his opinion was listened to quite intently for all his NHL experience zero years. Pittsburg took a big gamble on Jagr as it was not know if he would be able to get out of Czech Republic easily or else Jagr would have gone higher than 5th overall…….

61. LA Loyalist says:

That Jagr’s chemistry with Gomez was bad in New York is a huge mark in his favor, IMHO.

As I’ve posted, it’s a low risk move that buys us time for our kids to bloom without giving up anything except money to get him.

Who else will add scoring? We have Cammy and Plex, hopefully MaxPax and DD will chip in. Having Markov, Emelin, Wiz, Gorges on D is going to help our offense, certainly, but we still need finishing.

If the money is reasonable, for one year, pull the trigger. Make Plex happy.

Of course if JM tries to play him as a 4th line grinder, then all bets are off.

62. 25 cups says:

quick question Stu; I enjoy reading your posts, but I’m wondering why every single one of them is accompanied by your pic (not that you’re not good looking or anything), but why don’t your stories have a relevant pic attached to them?

PS Jagr? Ok… for one year and low coin I’m ok with it…

• Stu Hackel says:

Cups – Our blog system requires we put a photo in a certain place or it screws up the post. The other guys use photos from the paper’s media library and, as you point out, they’re relevant to the subject of the post. My problem is that often I don’t find anything relevant when I search the library and, not being at the paper, I don’t think I have access to the photo sources to add something like a photo of Jagr to the library in order to put it in that space. So I use that one just to get the post up. Sometimes one of the other guys finds a relevant photo and changes it, which I prefer.

These are all correctable problems, however, and now that the season is over and we all have a little more time, I plan on speaking with the poohbahs and we’ll figure something out so you don’t have to look at me in the future — even though I am very good looking.

Thanks for asking. Hey, if you’re tired of looking at me, imagine how tired I am.

• HalifaxHabs says:

ahahahahaha! Stu got called out for that pic.

• Mike Boone says:

We had a vote and Stu was chosen best-looking guy at HIO. Four-way tie for second place. Boone killed in the swimsuit competition, and Hickey is Mr. Congeniality.

Mike Boone
      Hockey Inside/Out blogger
      Gazette City columnist
      mboone@montrealgazette.com

• HalifaxHabs says:

Boone… did you just refer to yourself in the 3rd person, wearing a swimsuit?

Anything goes Friday nights on HI/O!!!

• Yeats says:

Having played on his left wing, he’s not too shabby at pickup either. The most thoughtful breaks my brother Charlie and I have ever had between shifts were with Stu at Katonah, NY. Think of it as a two-minute hot stove with three guys much, much smarter than Ron McClean, Don Cheery and Mike Milbury! (I know that’s not a big hurdle.)

63. Marc10 says:

If it’s about the money, there’s little point – here or in Detroit.

“To be irreplaceable, you have to be different”.
    Andy Warhol

Go PK Go!

64. Chuck says:

Interesting. If they could work the money out, it would be great to have the Jagr brothers, Tomas and Jaromir, playing on the same line.