Jacques Demers will be guest on next HIO show

Jacques Demers, the last coach to lead the Canadiens to a Stanley Cup championship in 1993, has been confirmed as the guest for our second Hockey Inside/Out show that will be on HIO at the beginning of next week.

Former Hab Chris Nilan was the guest on the first show, which you can watch at hockeyinsideout.com/show.

Before the start of the lockout-shorted NHL season, Demers told Gazette sports editor Stu Cowan that he never thought the Canadiens would go 20 years without a Stanley Cup.

“Because it’s the Montreal Canadiens … the tradition and all the Stanley Cups they won … never in my wildest dreams would I think the Montreal Canadiens would go 20 years without winning a Cup,” Demers said. “In ’86 and then ’93, seven years, which is certainly not bad, but 20 years without winning the Cup with the prestigious tradition of that franchise. … I never would have thought that.”

If you have a question you would like Demers to answer on the HIO show, email Cowan at scowan@montrealgazette.com and if your question is used you will have a chance to win a HIO gift bag. Please include your full name and hometown with your email.

The Canadiens practised Monday in Brossard as they prepare to face the Buffalo Sabres Tuesday night at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., TSN, RDS, TSN Radio 690). Coach Michel Therrien confirmed that Michael Ryder should be back in the lineup after missing one game with a lower-body injury.

Other injured players, Rene Bourque (concussion), Brandon Prust (shoulder) and Yannick Weber (knee), skated on the second rink in Brossard Monday with strength and conditioning coach Pierre Allard. There was no update on when they might return to the lineup.

(Gazette file photo)

1. kyrest says:

I hope to hear Mr. Demers’ opinion, as a Senator, on the legitimacy of an unelected, unrepresentative Senate. If he would be willing to run in an election and how he sees his role within the government. Also, how he views the allegations against other Senators. Hopefully these questions are actually brought up and not just ignored, as they seemingly have been lately. Tired of “circle-jerk” Q&A sessions.

• The Juice says:

I normally abhor discussion of politics on this site but I agree with your thoughts 100%.

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

2. Danno says:

It would be great if HIO could have Chris Nilan back for another appearance on the show some time down the road.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

3. HabFab says:

Vail signed to an AHL Amateur Try Out with the Hamilton Bulldogs. http://hamiltonbulldogs.com/pressbox/news/?article_id=323

Notes;
    – not with the Habs or a NHL contract…pretend we don’t exist
    – he will get paid per game but not as much as a PTO or NHL/AHL contract
    – the ATO protects his amateur status with the CHL/ IIHF

4. Loonie says:

A quick look at how the East would appear without the shootout…..

1. Pittsburgh – 42 pts(18GR)
    2. Montreal – 40 pts(20GR)
    3. Carolina – 31 pts(21GR)
    4. Boston – 38 pts(21GR)
    5. Ottawa – 33 pts(19GR)
    6. Toronto – 32 pts(19GR)
    7. Winnipeg – 31 pts(19GR)
    8. New Jersey – 30 pts(19GR)

9. Islanders – 27 pts(20GR)
    T10. Rangers – 26 pts(21GR)
    T10. Flyers – 26 pts(19GR)
    T12. Lightning – 25 pts(20GR)
    T12. Capitals – 25 pts(20GR)
    14. Sabres – 21 pts(19GR)
    15. Panthers – 19 pts(19GR)

The Southeast could definitely be decided by the farce.

• The Juice says:

So what did you do with games that went to a shootout? Called it a tie?

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

5. twilighthours says:

FYI, there is a new thread

6. D Man says:

Re: trade talk. I know it’s fun but! You can always find a player a little bit better or bigger or faster or watever. It must be remembered however that team chemistry is harder to find than another player. Things are going good. Why mess with it? Go with what you have on the team and in the system. Let the players know you have faith in them. Make them earn their ice time. If you don’t win with what you have make your deals in the off season.

You can’t be both a Habs and a Leafs fan

• LizardKing12 says:

I highly doubt adding a few pieces at the deadline will do much to disrupt team chemistry. We have a tight knit group of players and a very good locker room atmosphere, couple that with being a top 3 team in the East and any addition will be happy to be here for the playoff run.

Right now it looks as if our biggest, if not only, competition in the East are Pens and Bruins and you can bet your ass they will be improving their teams at the deadline. We will need to make a few moves to ensure we can compete with those teams.

7. Sportfan says:

These are the guys on my starting roster in my draft what do you guys think?

Joe Mauer
    Ike Davis
    Rickie Weeks
    Chase Headley
    Jimmy Rollins
    Jose Bautista
    Hunter Pence
    Josh Reddick
    Michael Saunders
    and Philly picthing

8. adamkennelly says:

Ryan White has smartened up. He is good at face-offs and his speed enables him to run around a bit and not take himself out of the play. With Prust out – taking White out of the line-up instead of Dumont or Blunden would be stupid.

• Chuck says:

For a guy who’s smartened up, he sure knows how to take a dumb penalty!

___________________________________________________

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Agree about the face-offs but not about the speed. Dumont is faster, just as good at face-offs and will take the 4th line center job one day.

• HabsWinn-ipeg says:

I’ve always liked White, but I think that his time with the Habs has passed. There are other high energy players who have more offensive skill, and don’t take the penalties he does. He seems out of sorts, and I wonder if he would do better with a change of scenery. He could be included in a trade package – a useful player that another team might need.

• adamkennelly says:

I’m not in love with the guy but he has value – and he has to play with an edge. I’m a believer that the 4th line should be made up of 4th liners, not underperforming 2nd liners. If Therrien took the reigns off him – he would be more effective. That being said – wouldn’t bother me if they traded him, as long as you are getting someone at least as tough back.

9. HabsWinn-ipeg says:

NYR with Rick Nash: 28 points in 27 games
    CBJ with Dubinsky/Anisimov/Erixon: 28 points in 29 games

Rangers are 5-5-0 in past 10. Jackets are 6-0-4.

Jackets have the Rangers 1st round pick this year, which means they could have 2 of the top 14 picks, and 2 shots at the #1 if neither team makes the playoffs (I believe all non-playoff teams are in the lottery?). That trade could turn out pretty good for the Jackets. Good thing for them that Torts is an idiot, and his players seem to have quit listening to him.

• Habfan10912 says:

I guess 3 players never equals one, huh HabsWinn? That said, Nash is a highly skilled player and IMO one of the best in the league and on most nights has been the Rangers best player. But your point about the missing pieces around him with those three players you named plus Prust has everything to do with that teams struggle.

• HabsWinn-ipeg says:

I love Nash – would be happy to have MB trade prospects/picks etc for him as I think he’s an unbelievable player. I think that Tortarella’s style has worn thin on the players (constantly calling them out) and they are tuning him out. If it continues, that 1st round pick could turn out to be a steal for the Jackets.

• HabsWinn-ipeg says:

Not suggesting that Nash might be available – just that he’s the kind of player that you trade assets for…moreso than others that have been mentioned here.

• Habfan10912 says:

Gotcha. When he played for Columbus I never realized what a great player he is. Now that he plays in the Eastern Conference I see him play often and, man is he good. CHeers.

• B says:

Columbus also has the Kings 1st round pick this year.

–Go Habs Go!–

• HabsWinn-ipeg says:

Whoa – they could seriously stock their system this year.

• B says:

The Devils have to forfeit a 1st round choice either in this draft or the next one (punishment for the Kovalchuk contract cap circumvention) so if Columbus finishes last, they could possibly have the equivalent of 4 first round picks this draft.

–Go Habs Go!–

10. youngwun says:

I like Dumont. He will replace moen next year.

• dano58 says:

I hope not because Dumont can score and after what we did to palushaj I hope we don’t do that to Dumont as well. He is at worst a 3rd line player and at best a 2nd line player. We keep taking scorers from Hamilton and trying to make them 4th line players. Thats what Blunden is for and many others we have in our system.

GO HABS GO!!!

“Opinions are like assholes and everybody has one.” – “?”
      Hopefully the Habs brass only takes the best ones!

RDS is saying that Ryder should be ready to go tomorrow. So who sits?

We all know that Moen SHOULD sit but we also know it won’t happen so probably Dumont?… or White.

• mark_ID says:

Blunden probably. I liked Blunden’s intensity though on Saturday.

“I think I may have found a way to get us Bonds and Griffey, and we really wouldn’t give up that much” – Costanza

• Habfan10912 says:

I think Blunden as well but Front won’t like that decision.

• Lix says:

I think it should be White. He clearly hasn’t learned about not taking stupid penalties. I would give him an extended stay in Hamilton if it were my decision. He’s not bringing enough on the ice right now to make up for the dumb penalties.

• mark_ID says:

White is probably the best faceoff man for the 4th line though…since Dumont will be playing on the third. If White sits…I guess Blunden would have to take faceoff duties.

• Habfan10912 says:

Lix, that was a dumb penalty but his overall play has been pretty decent the last month or so. Have to admit after the goal I was pretty upset with White but we probably shouldn’t overreact to one brain fart in an overall pretty decent effort, huh?

• club de hockey says:

Is the concensus here that Moen is playing hurt or is it contractitis?

Danny, Dick, Flower, Dryden and 2313 Rue Ste. Catherine – foundations of my CH affliction

12. lavie says:

Defense and goalie win Cup.

13. Dr.Rex says:

What about Marty St.Louis?

14. Dr.Rex says:

Question for all of those who were old enough to experience the amazing ride of the 1993 playoffs.
    AT what moment during that playoff run did you know the Habs were going to win it all?
    I was pretty young at the time and a little naive for sure but when Dipietro completed the hat trick in game 6 to finish off the Nords I knew at that moment it was destiny.

• Bill says:

I held my breath right up until the eventual Cup winning goal – by Muller of course – in game five.

Felt good after they came back against the Nords, but couldn’t relax until it was basically in the bag.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Dr.Rex says:

WE cant forget David Volek scoring in ot game 7 vs the mighty Pens. That goal could have changed history.

• Bill says:

The Kerry Fraser no-call on Gretzky with Toronto, lol … Leaf fans swear it cost them the Cup. They are dreaming of course, but they might’ve been a tougher opponent than the Kings.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• TheLogician says:

i like how the leaf fans make the implicit presumption that they would’ve scored on the ensuing PP (that never was) with 100% probability.

there’s a pretty big difference b/t getting a PP and scoring a goal while on it. but apparently that difference does not enter the deulsional leafer mind.

• Cal says:

After Game 2 in the Finals. There was a feeling everywhere throughout the city of expectation. Montreal’s spine was tingling. Never felt anything like that since.
      The only real downer was all the bleeping vandals wandering the streets after the win. The parade was worse with a-holes trashing cars along the parade route. The spine tingling came to an abrupt stop after that nonsense.

• TheKarl says:

During OT of game 3 vs. Buffalo – just realized all of a sudden that they were gonna win the game everytime it went into OT. It was a strange internal certainty, like I knew the result going into OT and it was just a matter of guessing who would score.

I do admit however that I wavered after game 1 and most of game 2 against the Kings, they just looked better up until that point.

• smiley says:

When Eric Desjardins scored in Overtime in Game 2. Great call by the legendary Bob Cole “Desjardins wins it for the Canadiens”!!!.

• Strummer says:

The Game 2 win over LA in the finals really put my mind to rest.
      However in the lead up games that went into O/T you had a feeling they couldn’t lose.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Old Bald Bird says:

I have a vague memory of a player reporting that they knew they were going to beat Calgary pretty early on. I don’t know if it was after the first or second game, and I can’t remember who the player was. Of course, this only came out years after the fact.

Edit: Yikes — wrong year. Sorry.

• karpen33 says:

When Demers call for the stick measure on Mcsorley and got it right, then I knew we were going to win the Cup. One of the most rememberable moments in my life. Winning the Cup how I miss that feeling!!!

• Loonie says:

Game 2 against the Kings when Desjardins potted the winner.

I was very worried about the Islanders. They were outplaying the Habs badly for significant stretches in the first two games of that series.

• club de hockey says:

For me, that goal by Volek was when things really started to jive. Things just seemed to be falling into place at that point – especially with the OT wins starting to pile up.

• Habfan10912 says:

I’m a nervous Nellie so I didn’t think they were going to win it until I heard Bob Cole say, “And a 24th Stanley Cup Banner will hang from the rafters of the famous Montreal Forum.” It took a month for the chest pains to subside. :)

• Chuck says:

When they win it all this year you’ll need a couple-dozen doses of nitroglycerin at the ready!

___________________________________________________

• twilighthours says:

I felt it after leclair’s game 3 winner. But I really knew it after his game 4 winner. I felt like game 5 was a formality, even after mcsorely tied it.

• Rob says:

I didn’t really start to allow myself to feel anything remotely close to comfortable in the possibility we’d win the Cup until Leclair scored his second OT winner in a row. Coming back to Montreal for game 5, i just felt that the series was sealed. That being said, i was still nervous as #$%*!

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

• bleedhabs81 says:

I knew it as soon as buffalo beat out boston. Boston had been our bane for the last few years.

15. jols101 says:

What do people think about Chris Stewart from St.Louis? He is available apparently. St.Louis asking for a top 4 dman in return.

He is a RFA next year, so we could re-sign him as well. He is playing lights out this year knowing a big contract will be the result though. I wonder what he will ask for next year as a RFA?

• Timo says:

Weber is a top 4 dman, no?

• piper says:

Markov? Not sure St.louis would though.

• Dr.Rex says:

Ive been babbling about him for the last two years on this site. Unfortunetely his recent surge probably raised his value almost double.

• mark_ID says:

Stewart would be a great pickup, I’m just not sure who we would give up for a DMAN…..

Diaz + prospect or a pick?

Markov? Not sure I want Markov gone for the playoff run though.

He would look great flanking the opposite wing as Pacioretty though.

• Dr.Rex says:

Kaberle + Dumont

• jols101 says:

St.Louis is asking for a top 4 dman, not an overpaid lunchbucket.lol

• Timo says:

It’s all a matter of perspective. Like look at the Gomez trade – Sather asked for a first rounder and a roster player and he got it becuase Gomer was THE prize. It’s all about how you market it.

• HabFanSince72 says:

We have three legit “top four” D-men:

1. PK but obviously we aren’t trading him.
        2. Marky – but he is surely too old for St.Louis.
        3. Gorges.

(Diaz is on his way to becoming a top 4 D but the sample size is surely too small for St.Louis.)

So you are looking at Gorges plus maybe a pick.

• jols101 says:

Gorges and a pick was exactly what I was thinking would do the trick.

Who would do it? Lets say Gorges and one of our 3 2nd round picks. Any takers?

• mark_ID says:

I would make that trade in a second. Problem is, all of a sudden we are running out of top 9 spots in the lineup.

Unless maybe we then unload Bourque or Gionta for some picks or something.

• jols101 says:

Ya Mark, our top 9 would be awfully crowded if we got Stewart. But like you said, maybe then Bergevin can use Gionta or Bourque in a deal to fill the hole created by the departure of Gorges. It is like a chess game.

• mark_ID says:

We also risk losing some chemistry and or leadership(specifically if we trade Gionta and Gorges).

It would be nice for getting bigger up front though.

• Habfan10912 says:

I think trading a top four dman would leave to big of a void for the team this year. The only one I might think about is Gorges. PK, NO. Emelin, No. Markov is too valuable to this team right now. I wouldn’t be anxious to trade Gorges either but worth consider.

16. mark_ID says:

Why is it that Rielly is being called up to the Marlies right now, and yet Galchenyuk next year would still be stuck in the OHL if not with the Habs?

I thought the player had to be 20 in order to play AHL……Rielly is still 19 at the moment. Chucky is a month older then him also.

• commandant says:

Rielly’s CHL team was eliminated as they missed the WHL playoffs. A player can finish the season in the AHL after his CHL team is eliminated.

Next year Rielly will either be on the Leafs or back to the WHL… no AHL again until his team is eliminated.

Brady Vail is doing the same thing in Hamilton.

All our other junior prospects have teams alive in their league playoffs. In fact two, Dietz and Thrower are guaranteed spots at the Memorial Cup.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• mark_ID says:

Oh ok, I had a feeling that’s what was happening. So Chucky could go and play for Hamilton now also(won’t happen, but theoretically)
        Thanks for the info.

• commandant says:

Sarnia is still alive. They made the playoffs (in 7th spot in the conference).

For perspective they were in 2nd when Galchenyuk played his last game for them just before the World Juniors.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Bill says:

Thanks!

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Bill says:

Great question. I don’t know how he is eligible. You’re supposed to either be 20 by December 31st of the year you play in (he won’t be) or have completed four seasons of junior (he’s done three).

Anyone know this??

Full Breezer 4 Life

• veryhabby says:

Mark_id….I believe habs are doing same with with Vail. He will play in HAmilton, but then return to his OHL team next year. With Vail I read that habs will probably sign him to a pro-tryout contract in order to not burn one year on his rookie entry level deal. I do not know if Rielly has signed already his entry level deal with the Leafs so if that means he will burn his first year. But I believe Vail has not signed his yet, so that’s how they are getting around it.

This info I got from a fan posting on another site, so hopefully they got it from a proper source. But Vail should be joining the Dogs today.

17. habs001 says:

Noticed Hab fans on other sites dishing Rielly compared to Dietz but i believe Rielly played fewer games and on a much weaker team…………For posters who follow junior more how close are the 2 d in talent and skill?..draft wise big difference

• commandant says:

Rielly is an elite offensive defenceman guaranteed to make the NHL. Dietz is a nice prospect who is a bit of a project.

Rielly’s skating is phenomenal. There is really no comparison between the two.

The Leafs got a good one, as they should at 5 overall. I still prefer our pick of Galchenyuk though.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Strummer says:

Burkie would have taken him first overall if Leafs had the first pick- don’t you know?

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• commandant says:

I heard Burkie said that with tears in his eyes, and walking away from the Consol Energy Centre dumpster.

Reporters later found a Maple Leafs sweater in said dumpster, with the name “Galchenyuk” sewed onto the back.

John Bellyful is my source on this.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• habs001 says:

Thanks for the info

18. Lafleurguy says:

Where are the “first” guys?

“May you live in interesting times.”

19. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Good guest! Is he still a senator? If so, there are non-hockey questions that can be asked…

20. twilighthours says:

This post is ridiculous

21. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

wtf is right…geez…

22. Rob says:

I think he must be trying to make a joke? That’s the only explanation. A clumsily executed attempt at being funny?

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!