It’s official: first two weeks of NHL season cancelled

zamboniweb

It’s official: the Canadiens won’t be opening the NHL season on Oct. 11 at the Bell Centre against the Ottawa Senators.

The NHL announced Thursday afternoon that it has cancelled the first two weeks of the 2012-13 schedule, meaning at least 82 games through Oct. 24 will be lost.

NHL players will now officially miss the first of 13 paycheques they will receive this season – they get paid once every two weeks during the regular season.

According to NHLPA.com figures, the highest-paid player on the Canadiens this season is Andrei Markov at $5.75 million. If you divide that total into 13 cheques, Markov would lose $442,307.69 on his first cheque. The lowest-paid player on the Canadiens is Petteri Nokelainen at $575,000. He would receive $44.230.76 every two weeks.

Ilya Kovalchuk, who is slated to earn $11 million with the New Jersey Devils, would get $846,153.84 every two weeks.

Deputy NHL commissioner Bill Daly said earlier this week that the lockout has already cost the league almost $100 million U.S. in lost revenue.

“That is not going to be recouped and that’s going to cost both sides,” Daly told reporters after talks broke off Tuesday in New York. “That’s unfortunate but it’s a reality of where we are.”

Read more by clicking here.

Don Fehr, National Hockey League Players’ Association executive director, released the following statement Thursday afternoon:

“The decision to cancel the first two weeks of the NHL season is the unilateral choice of the NHL owners. If the owners truly cared about the game and the fans, they would lift the lockout and allow the season to begin on time while negotiations continue.  A lockout should be the last resort in bargaining, not the strategy of first resort.  For nearly 20 years, the owners have elected to lock-out the players in an effort to secure massive concessions.  Nevertheless, the players remain committed to playing hockey while the parties work to reach a deal that is fair for both sides. We hope we will soon have a willing negotiating partner.”

For a photo gallery revisiting the 2004-05 NHL lockout, click here.

Meanwhile, CBC announced that it will let hockey fans vote online for which classic games they want to watch on Hockey Night in Canada during the lockout. Read more by clicking here.

(Photo by Pierre Obendrauf/The Gazette)

1. HabsFan1111 says:

“The lowest-paid player on the Canadiens …would receive $44,230.76 every two weeks.”

I just threw up a little in my mouth. When you see it in biweekly format it’s even more shocking…

Cry me a river players and owners and Fehr and Daly and all you a holes.

2. DelawareHab says:

Unbelievable! It is to the point that both players and owners are showing they truly do not care about what makes the sport and their franchises so great. If it weren’t for the pasionnate fans that follow this “Great” game of ours, there would be no discussion on the table. Why does all this money come in to your sport? Because of us! Who ultimately pays for the players salaries and the owners profits? again us!

There was a time (very early in my time in life) where people owned a team because they wanted to bring a championship to their city and players were simply excited that they could support their family while playing a sport they love in a town that loves to watch them play.

I do not carewhether you call it a lockout or a strike. The results is the same. I will look forward to watching the juniors play in December.

3. Jim Edson says:

Think for a minute that any league would start playing a season while attempting to negotiate with a Fehr led union ?
    Not a chance!
    Remember 1994, when Fehr called a strike in MLB just before the post season!
    Old memories die hard.
    A leopard can’t change its spots!

———————————————————————-
    What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

They tell him what they want done and he works to make it happen through his subordinates while making sure that individual franchises play by the rules.

******** Translated if you haven’t won the Stanley Cup in 40 years your NHL team is becoming irrelevant in a sports mad city long behind MLB, NFL and NBA teams, you just tell the commissioner(who you gave a new contract at 7 plus million per) to make it happen and the rules are bent sufficiently to action the command.

• B says:

The NHLPA went on strike during the 1992 season, long before Fehr and his history took over. I can understand the NHL not wanting to start a season without a deal in place.

4. JF says:

The sole positive is that, with the first two weeks of the season now officially cancelled, maybe the major sports networks will be willing to commit themselves to showing a lot of AHL games or more junior games.

5. Josh says:

Where’s the “neither” option for the poll?

6. secretdragonfly says:

So the CBC is trying to save their sinking ship by airing “classic” games that fans can vote for. Anybody really believe they’ll air the “too many men” game vs Boston that showcases Don Cherry’s not-so-finest moment? I doubt it.

• Jim Edson says:

Any game which is pre “Coaches Corner” and PJ Stock would be a vast improvement!

———————————————————————-
      What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

7. The Dude says:

It’s official…the N.H.L. can go get fked!

8. HabFanSince72 says:

It’s one thing to always see the dark cloud behind every silver lining, to twist every situation into a disaster, to resolutely see the glass as neither half full nor half empty, but shattered, its contents spilled on the floor, undrinkable because of all the shards of glass, but … “we traded Halak for Schultz”????

We traded Halak for Schultz?????

Really?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Bripro says:

Well, for one thing, it wasn’t us. It was the Goat.
      And don’t forget…..Eller.

*********************************************
      “I’m here to tell you: Gary Bettman hasn’t felt this alive since he killed Harry Potter’s parents.”

9. HabFab says:

Looks like no NHL this season…
    Wonder what the money is on scab players next season?
    AHLers this season will be NHLers next…

10. Ron says:

The Oct 20th game between Bulldogs and Marlies is going to be televised on Sportsnet. 7 ET.

11. Lizardking89 says:

One word comes to mind when I think of Bettman and Fehr and it rhymes with hunts.

• AceMagnum says:

Runts! You’re right they are pretty short.

But I could think of worse, like……FREAKIN’ GNOMES!

—————————-

THE KINGS ARE KINGS!! 2012

12. commandant says:

I expected this yesterday to be honest.

Its really no surprise.

We are going nowhere until one side caves.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

13. Bripro says:

Hockey Frustration Song no. 6

Cue the music.

(Fehr)
    Please allow me to introduce myself
    I’m a weasel with some taste
    I was around in that grueling year
    Stole many a ‘spos soul and faith
    And I helped abound when Bud Selig
    Had his brain cramp of doubt and pain
    Made damn sure that strike went
    Washed my hands and sealed its fate
    Pleased to meet you
    You sure know my name
    But what’s bugging you
    Is the nature of my game

(Butthead)
    I on one hand am like an iceberg
    When I was hired at a time for a change
    NHL owners and their gophers
    Stood in line and screamed in vain
    I was always frank
    Still hold a general’s rank
    When Fehr was enraged
    And the players drank
    Pleased to meet you
    Hope you guess my name, oh yeah
    Ah, what’s killing you
    Is the nature of my game, oh yeah

(Fan)
    I watch the folly
    While the heads that be
    Will fight for decades
    For the strides they make
    I’m shouting out,
    “Who killed our hockey?”
    When after all
    It was you and he
    Let me please introduce myself
    I’m a fan of modest wealth and taste
    And I take the crap like the catchpoll
    Our dreams are trumped before we reach gameday
    (guitar interlude)

Not pleased to meet you
    Don’t care if you know my name, oh yeah
    But what’s bugging me
    Is the nature of your games, oh yeah, get lost, baby

*********************************************

14. smiler2729 says:

I just don’t effing care anymore… F Bettman, F Fehr, F the NHL.

_______________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
    Don Fehr killed the Expos.

15. Stormin says:

All i know is that it is Bruce Buffer time for Gary Buttman and Donald Fehr to walk into a Rowland Office, Steve Shutt and Corey Locke the door behind them and pay the Carey Price and start negotiating Bill Daly until this Corey Locke out is resolved… I don’t care Howe Orr what they do,,, drink Paul Coffey until they Nail Yakupov all over each other , Just get this Corey Locke out resolved..,, Stop trying to Rob Ramage there proposals through the media, and try and Pat Stapleton some agreement together that they can not Darren Puppa all over. If this gets done we can all have a few Geoffrey Molson’s maybe party with our own Pamela Anderson or Glenn Anderson, I don’t judge and fire off some celebratory Alexander Semin and make a big Mark Messier all over Pamela..

16. HabsWinn-ipeg says:

If Gary and Donald were neighbours…

I am going to print that article and take it to my boss.

18. shiram says:

From a french website…
    Kovalev : « Je vais apprendre le français »
    discuss! :p

19. Ron says:

My Lord, Petteri Nokelainen was being paid 44,000 f**king dollars every 2 weeks to sit in the press box or get his couple mins a game when dressed and then cry hard times. My employer is screwing me. Wow just wow. I don’t care who is right and who is wrong but that is just f**king sick.

20. Dee says:

There will be hockey by January 1st 2013 in time for the winter classic (Bettman’s baby) NBC is on board now! There is no way Bettman will rock the boat and upset NBC.

Habs Fan 4 Ever and Ever Amen.

21. JoaquindaPark says:

What a load of baloney from Fehr. Trying to make it sound like its all the owners fault. News flash Don: NHL Teams are losing money. Have been for years. They respected the CBA they signed to its end, without hiccups and lived up to their end of the bargain. Now it’s time to renegotiate, not blame the other side.
    Sure he would be happy to keep playing under the current CBA. They are making a killing, and managing to complain that hey got ripped off. Like the ESPN article said, the salary cap increased 80% since 05 and the floor went up 152%. Nice raise if you can get it.

• Habilis says:

The craziest part of all of this is the fact that even if the players were to sign a deal for 50/50, the agents and GMs would spend the duration of the next CBA trying to figure out how to GIVE THE PLAYERS MORE MONEY.

Their salaries have always increased dramatically over the length of any CBA because of this fact. How is this a problem for them?

The lack of foresight on the players side is astonishing.

• Bripro says:

Are you saying the owners weren’t instrumental in raising the cap?
      Who offers those ludicrous contracts?

*********************************************

22. Cal says:

Fehr is an unadulterated a-hole. Then again, Bettman is, too. These 2 suits were made for each other like a trip to Mexico and Montezuma’s revenge.

• Mustang says:

This is a perfect example of killing the goose that is laying the golden eggs.

• Habilis says:

Agreed. I still don’t understand how there is a room in Manhattan big enough to hold their massive heads.

• Bripro says:

Talk about a colloquialism for putting a cramp in your vacation.
      I love travelling with my friend, the porcelain bowl.

And speaking of metaphors, I wish someone would flush the whole gang of them!

*********************************************

23. Habilis says:

So games are officialy going down the drain now and the silence from the PA is deafening. Everyone and their dog knows that nothing will get done until the players move off their position, but of course that would be “giving in”. Can’t have that from a bunch of tough hockey players now can we?

The worst thing for hockey was the PA hiring Fehr. He started by dragging his feet for months in the hope that the league would capitulate and keep going under the old deal. Good call there Don. Next he put forth a proposal that basically tells 30 pretty successful owners how to run their own business. Another great call Don. Now he refuses to to discuss any kind of deal involving a pay cut. I guess he’s hoping that the owners will eventually realize how wrong they were for wanting more money. Awesome call Don, simply awesome.

• Bripro says:

Isn’t Markov leaving for the KHL?
      I can tell you this much.
      I tried to get tickets for the one last week here, in Chateauguay.
      The arena has a listed capacity of 1250. There were 1800 and the rest of us were told that players would be coming out to sign autographs.
      They should be looking at bigger venues.

*********************************************

HIO Summit Official Cancellation Notice

I am now making this official, we are all disappointed as I have thrown in the towel until we get hockey back in the spring or next year.

This is important,
    All those with reservations with the Novotel “MUST” call themselves to cancel and receive your credit at 1-866-861-6112.

Make sure you do not lose your “hockey game tickets”, you will need them to receive your replacement tickets when we have the Summit. There is no other way to get replacement ones.!!!

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

These number just posted above. Yeah, that makes me really ache for players.

• shiram says:

Puts it all in perspective doesn’t it?

• Mustang says:

I guess that means that these poor fellows are going to have to get by on their strike pay.

• savethepuck says:

So I guess every 5,6, or 7 years the greedy players are supposed to either accept a 20% paycut or lose an entire years pay. It’s an obvious pattern by the owners and within 30 years the revenue split will be 80/20.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Bripro says:

“Petteri Nokelainen at $575,000. He would receive $44.230.76 every two weeks.”

…. and he’s the poor one in the picture! Imagine?

Give me 4 paycheques per year, and I’m good to go!

*********************************************

26. twilighthours says:

I believe this officially cancels the Summit. I’m now going to call and fight with Novotel.

27. ooder says:

it is mind boggling how inept you need to be to let this happen again!
    ——————
    The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

28. Blondie says:

And so it begins. This won’t be the last such announcement. :(

29. pmaraw says:

Even if they cancel till Christmas Gomez will still be on track to match last years goal total but at least this year he won’t be paid for it.

30. Blondie says:

In a sense he’s not even taking up a roster spot. :)

31. shiram says:

Cutting a crappy player who’s only upside is fisticuffs is a great move, they should look for a player that can play and handle the rough stuff.
    Besides they got Hagel…

Crappy player? We gave King Halak to get that player. What a glorious trade that was. A center that plays wing on 3 or 4th lines and a tough guy that got cut from the AHL. Splendid.

33. Hobie Hansen says:

The guys sucks, even by goon standards.

34. Kooch7800 says:

Hagel is not so great either too be honest. He is just a Hamilton boy. I was surprised they signed Hagel being that they have quite a few D men.

I would much rather have Henry than Hagel

35. coutNY says:

Don’t they also have Stortini & Tinordi? Anyhow, I don’t believe they were trying to recreate the Thunder Bay Bombers when they were talking about “Team toughness.” Since Schultz never got the chance to play on the big club last year, even in Habs greatest time of need for a tough guy, speaks volumes. I suspect he was too much of a reliability on the ice… so time to move on.

36. shiram says:

The point about Hagel is they still got a guy to throw the mitts if needed, so it’s no big loss to lose Schultz.