“It’s a huge win for us,” Habs Therrien says (VIDEO)

(Photo: Dario Ayala /The Gazette)

The Canadiens now hold a daunting 3-0 lead over the Tampa Bay Lightning and have a chance to clinch the best-of-seven playoff series on Tuesday at the Bell Centre.

“It’s a huge win for us,” coach Michel Therrien said after the Canadiens 3-2 win Sunday over the Lightning.

“I thought the first period was phenomenal. We got great, great scoring chances,” said Therrien, who added Lightning goaltender Anders Lindback kept Tampa in the game.

The Habs great start included a goal by Rene Bourque on a breakaway 11 seconds into the game, drawing thunderous cheers from the Bell Centre crowd.

It was the first  game on home ice in the series for the Habs and the atmosphere was electric.

“I never got to play in the old Forum,” said Canadiens defenceman P.K. Subban.

“I don’t know what the atmosphere was like there. But in the Bell Centre it’s unbelievable. It’s a lot of fun to play in these types of games.”

The game was not without controversy.

Ryan Callahan’s goal in the second period was waved off because Alex Killorn made incidental contact with Price.

Therrien said he thought it was the right call. But Tampa coach Jon Cooper was irked by the call.

“I was pissed then and I’m pissed now,” he said after the game.

“That’s just my opinion. And I’ll let the court of public opinion take care of the rest.”

Cooper said he felt the Lightning played hard and with passion.

“It’s tough to walk into the locker room and look at those guys when they’ve played–clearly that was our best game we’ve played in the series. I thought they deserved a better fate tonight,” Cooper said.

Brendan Gallagher and Tomas Plekanec also scored for the Canadiens.

Subban had two assists, including on Gallagher’s goal in the second period during 4 on 4 play.

Lars Eller made a great play behind the net to move the puck out to open ice, said Subban who tried to draw the fore-checker to him and went behind the net.

“There’s a reason why (Gallagher) was first star tonight. He did a lot of good things. He did a great thing to get himself open,” Subban said.

You can listen to more of what Subban had to say after the game here:

You can watch what Price had to say here:

And you can listen to Bourque here:

(Video: Brenda Branswell)

1. 44har48 says:

I have not had time to get back on here the last few days but I had to make some time to just say how much better PK is playing in games 2-3 now that he is trusting his teammates and getting rid of the puck quicker. I have been very critical of his play and gimmicks this year, partly because of the contract issue and seemingly large gap between PK and the Habs. There are parts of his game I would rather never see again, but it is what it is, and he has clearly been one of our best players this series. Exciting playoff so far, one period at a time….

2. 24AW says:

one series at a time. Right now we are beating Tampa, the next series could be just the opposite at least this time around unless it’s a total disaster we should get out of the 1st round, that’s an improvement over last year for a team some people said wouldn’t make the playoffs, goes to show how much they know. with a little luck we could go all the way. Remember 1993 as long as they keep playing as a team anything can happen.

3. Marc10 says:

I see ‘classy veteran’ Mike Richards just earned himself a double minor for spearing Logan Couture.

Keep it up bozo.

4. lizard ranger says:

wingles is a somewhat silly name

5. Vito says:

Just got back home from the Bell Centre… What an great game with amazing atmosphere!!!
    I had a feeling that we can make it all the way to the finals this year just because there is no one dominating the east, but I thought that TB would be a challenge. Bring on the Bruins!

Canada IS hockey!
    -Mike Weir

6. lizard ranger says:

Quick is being lit up, like real bad, just waved off number eight

7. lizard ranger says:

Was Borky our best player ?

8. xeonus says:

Rene Bourque reminds me of another big strong left winger who also put on #17 for the Habs in 1993… John Leclair.

9. Habcouver says:

Must move 4th (forth) the comments, as I just got home from Habs pub partay!

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

10. prep says:

Third! Is the one with a hairy chest

11. ClutchNGrab says:

13 more to go!

12. 416erHabsFan says:

#1 just like our team! well are team is still #1 even if I’m not.

13. Vito says:

No, it isn’t ))) It is not written by Mr Boone and is not titled “About last night”… am waiting for it as well!

Mr Boone must have a lot to say, usually he posts the ALN much earier.

Canada IS hockey!