It’s official: Habs open season against Maple Leafs

brossardweb

The Canadiens will open training camp in Brossard Sunday after the National Hockey League and the NHLPA signed off on a memorandum of understanding on the new collective bargaining agreement shortly after 10 p.m. on Saturday.

The memorandum cleared the way for the opening of camps and teams are now free to sign players and make trades. The major task for new Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin is to sign restricted free agent defenceman P.K. Subban.

The Canadiens will hit the ice at 10 a.m. Sunday in Brossard and it will be open to the public. To see the list of 27 players invited to the camp and to get practice times click here.

The NHL also released the 2013 schedule Saturday night and the Canadiens, as expected, will open the season next Saturday with a home game against the Toronto Maple Leafs.

The Canadiens will play 48 games between Jan. 19 and April 27, when they conclude the regular season in Toronto. They will play six games in January and 14 games in each of the next three months. The Canadiens will play seven sets of back-to-back games, including the traditional Super Bowl weekend matinees Feb. 2 against Buffalo and Feb. 3 against Ottawa.

All the games will be against Eastern Conference teams and the only time the Canadiens will leave the Eastern time zone is April 25 when they play in Winnipeg.

See the complete Canadiens schedule by clicking here. See the complete NHL schedule by clicking here.

For more on the official end of the lockout, click here.

Tickets for the first two Canadiens home games: Jan. 19 against the Leafs and Jan. 22 against Florida, go on sale at noon Sunday. Tickets for the remaining games will go on sale the following Sunday at noon. For more details, click here.

See CBC’s Hockey Night in Canada schedule by clicking here.

See the NHL on TSN schedule by clicking here.

(Photo by Marie-France Coallier/The Gazette)

1. Haborama says:

Next Thread

2. Haborama says:

what is going on with Gomez???

3. Habfan10912 says:

Chiarelli on Tim Thomas: “We’ll end up suspending him… He will be on our cap unless I trade him”

———————————–

4. JoeC says:

Bet he told Gomez to go home if he got hurt and it extended past the offseason he could not buy him out, better safe then sorry

5. Chrisadiens says:

Whoa…wth is going on with Gomez? Penalty free buyout doesn’t start until summer….

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

6. Haborama says:

well my Packers have been eliminated and my Liverpool reds are losing to the floating bag of refuse known as Manchester United, I am in desperate need of some good news!

comon MB, get PK signed!!!

because EVERYONE hates holdouts……

7. lakechamplain says:

Oh God, it is worse than I thought. I’m really, really anxious to see my Habs in action. Hey HIO, why aren’t you blogging from Brassard as 10 a.m. approaches? Can’t you set up a live cam to watch them do their wind sprints? Can’t we get some running commentary–I hate twitter but if you must, you must–on how the new guys and the really new guys are fitting in? Hab nation is desperate for any and all crumbs you can throw our internet way.
    OK, so I’m exaggerating a little bit. But oh how nice it will be to hear about contacts and not contracts(c’mon Subban sign the damn agreement!). Hey, there’s the whistle. LISTEN UP!
    Hockey is back in MONTREAL; Woo Hoo!

8. Habfan10912 says:

RDS reporting Gomez not on ice or at camp.

Edit: Sorry. Ron is not only smarter then me he is also faster. CHeers.
    ———————————–

9. Ron says:

Stubbs and Lavoie both tweet Gomez not on ice with team. Future with Habs uncertain

10. Ron says:

Stubbs tweets: Emelin is wearing cage on helmet.

16 Habs games broadcast on CBC. 14 for Toronto. WTF?

12. HabFab says:

TSNBobMcKenzie – Michael Del Zotto has agreed to tentative terms with NYR and is expected in camp today tho aspects of contract are still being worked on.

13. Chrisadiens says:

McKenzie reporting Del Zotto and the NYR have reached a deal. No details yet. C’mon MB get PK inked…

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

14. munch17 says:

This will be an unpopular post.
    I don’t understand why so many of you concede the #1 center spot to DD.
    He had a good year last year – I agree – but he centered the top two forwards on the team and Cole played amazingly well.
    This was the number one line on a last place team and it was not competitive with other top lines.
    Pleks , Eller , and ( sigh ) even Gomez could do as well and probably better.
    The only reason Therrien may go with that line is that there is not enough time to experiment with other combos.
    But if we are expecting the same performance as last year from this line I think we will be disappointed.
    Please don’t be too hard on me.
    But at least we can post about hockey and not the CBA!!

• habstrinifan says:

I am not sure that entire line will have the same success. Remember that was a high water mark even for the veteran Cole. But DD deserves the right to start as #1. He has earned it. And I think many here on HIO undervalue the determination and perseverance and will to be a top line player that DD has shown all his hockey career. We applaud Pacs for those characteristics but maybe he sees that side of himself in DD whom, we all know, he admires a lot.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I’m not sure about Gomez but I think starting this season Eller, Plekanec and Desharnais are pretty much interchangeable. I think Eller is ready to take another big step this season and putting him between Cole and Pacioretty could make one big and strong scoring line.

I’m fine with Desharnais centering that line but agree that either Plekanec, Eller or Desharnais could have success centering the two power forwards.

• Chrisadiens says:

DD has earned the right for the #1 centre spot. He has great chemistry with Cole and Max. That said, if the line struggles I want Eller in that spot. I really think Eller is ready to break out this year.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Mike D says:

DD is the #1 center until someone outplays him for that title. Maybe last year was an aberration, maybe he really is that good. That line may repeat their success, and if so, they deserve more time together. If they struggle, then start mixing up the lines and see what sticks.

To say they weren’t a real NHL top line though is just plain incorrect. Two 30+ goal scorers and over 180 points combined actually makes them one of the better lines in the league (prob top 10 off the top of my head) considering they didn’t even play the whole season together.

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

15. habstrinifan says:

Danny Kristo! Proving once again that I may not be as smart as I think I am. I thought this guy was done, hockey wise.

Way to go Mr Kristo!

16. HabFab says:

RenLavoieRDS – Canadiens foward Petteri Nokailenen (back injury) should be back in 3 to 4 weeks.

17. HabFab says:

SPECTOR’S NOTE: It’s believed the Canadiens have offered Subban a three-year, $12 million contract, while Subban is reportedly seeking a five-year deal worth the same amount ($4 million) per season.

I thought it was confirmed here that MB doesn’t want to sign Subban?

• Habfan10912 says:

After listening to the debates the past few days here I would think that the club would perfer the 5 or 6 year deal, no? I think TomNickle and Comm had very good points in regards to this.

———————————–

18. HabFab says:

Your morning links;

Nice link from NBC on the fine points of the new CBA.

• habstrinifan says:

Thanks for the link Habfab!

Re :

“SPECTOR’S NOTE: It appears Visnovsky will be the only player under NHL contract who played in the KHL during the lockout who doesn’t want to return to his NHL team. Should set up an interesting legal battle if he insists on staying in the KHL.”

While it may set an undesirable precedent, if I were the Islanders and/or NHL, I would let this one go… work something out. Visnovsky’s presence on the Island wont be as beneficial as more distracting legal hassles would be aggravating.

• Mike D says:

While I agree that Vishnovsky is a bit over-hyped, I believe the Islanders and/or NHL MUST go after him, and go after him hard for this decision. It sets a lot more than just an undesirable precedent if they don’t. I hate to say it, but they need to use him as an example.

– Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

19. habstrinifan says:

Well! I know I am ready for hockey!

Just read a news article “55 yr old Quebec man died while running his snowmobile UNDER a MOOSE” “Moose was OK!”

And what did I do? I mentally high-fived the Moose. I know throw your insults about how worthless a human being I m. If it dont concern hockey NOW, I have the emotion of a PUCK!

Filed under the category “Forgive me for I have sinned”

In my desperation to find NHL signings/trades/news etc…. I found so little that I opened up that fraudulent site run by Ekl….

So he is saying Islanders/Flames/Habs interested in Jamie Benn….insert the trading of PK to Dallas here.

I do this only because there is nothing new to talk about. :)

21. habstrinifan says:

I dont care.. I might as well admit it. I am really down that P.K isnt on the ice. My heart on my sleeve sad. And when I give it a serious moment of thought I dont see this as a positive for the organization… and I am not taking sides. I am still compiling my thoughts on the whole situation but it has ramifications.

I think it says something about the approach taken to the resigning of P.K and it speaks to our new GM AND COACH not coming in an viewing the room with an open slate. I ask Michel Therien… how would you like fans to view the start of this current stint as HABS coach… with an open slate or giving predominance to all that has been said about your past coaching stints?

People who go into a situation able to command the focus of EVERYONE to remarshall all their forces and energies with an open approach to attaining the ‘reset’ objective ahead … are true leaders.

More to come… but I wish the veterans and wisemen of this site were voicing the same concerns. I just want to enjoy hockey but …

• Habfan10912 says:

Trin, I share your disappointment. When I woke this morning I went on twitter, HI/O and TSN to see if PK had signed. Not happy at all about that. Hoping it won”t be a long wait.

———————————–

• habstrinifan says:

It’s now more than a disappointment at not having one player Habfan… when I take into consideration ALL the players and ALL the quotes and remarks… it is a worry that this team has not grabbed hold of that torch mentally because no one is stepping up and peeling the BS off and demanding that the WHOLE be better than the sum of its parts.

• JF says:

Hard to see how they could have signed him between last night and now. However, it is disappointing that he isn’t at least in Montreal so he could step on the ice the moment he’s signed.

So Luongo tweets the following last night:
    Strombone ‏@strombone1
    Kaepernick looking fantastic proving you could never go wrong in going with the youngster over the old vet……….

Gotta admit his sense of humour on twitter is very funny.

23. HabFab says:

RDS to show Habs practice live this morning, yeah we don’t care ;)

Dave_Stubbs – If you’re not in Brossard, #Habs camp will be live on RDS this morning 10:30-11:30 ET

24. B says:

So 2 of the first 3 Saturday nights on the new schedule do not have Habs games. That sucks.

–Go Habs Go!–

That is strange and indeed sucks.

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Burly! Well, at least I can catch a few more games at West Point. :)
        I heard someone say 7 back to backs? That’s more worrisome for me. Groins, groins, and groins.

Edit: Correction. 8 back to backs

———————————–

Morning Jim, yah just as the NBA had a rash of injuries in their compacted season last year, I suspect the NHL will see a great deal of them also. Especially with the abbreviated training camp. Hopefully the Bruins lead the way in this category.

• habstrinifan says:

You must be getting soft in your old age. Remember when you use to play 7games in 7 days back to back each with 3 overtime and YOU never left the ice except to piss in the bushes.

• Habfan10912 says:

LOL. Was gonna make a joke about soft, old age, and wife but figured it wouldn’t get by the mods. :)

———————————–

25. HabFab says:

NCAA update;

Kristo has scored a goal in 7 straight games. Has 8 goals and 8 assists during his streak. Now at 13G + 17A in 20 GP.

Bennett injured his knee on the 8th and will be out several weeks.

26. HabFab says:

Bulldog stats after 36 games;

NOTE: this is 2 games shy of the half way mark of 38 games.

27. adamkennelly says:

honestly I don’t know how “bad” Commodore is but a glaring hole on this team is lack of big tough D-man, he could take care of that cheaply…why not? Frankie, Weber, Diaz…I’d rather turn that into Diaz + big tough D..no?

A fellow I know was at the recent Bulldogs/Marlies game. This fellow is a Leaf fan, but he said to me that Commodore looked really good on the ice. I haven’t seen much of Commodore with the Dogs nor have I heard much, but my buddy seemed to think that Commodore appeared in excellent shape and thought he was impressive. Take it for what it’s worth, as the guy isn’t a scout.

28. Habfan10912 says:

Morning all. I really didn’t expect a lot of Habs moves after the signing of the MOU but am disappointed that there was no PK signing announcement. I am getting worried. Someone talk me off the ledge.

———————————–

• JohnBellyful says:

Jim, it’s only a game, it’s only one player — and we’ve got cookies and milk if you’ll just come back in.
      (Pass it on to the other posters out there with you.)

• Cal says:

Screw the milk and cookies. Crack open the Chivas. It’s already 8AM!

No worries, Jim. PK will be signed shortly. They aren’t going to give him term yet. IF he’s looking for one of these stupid 8 year deals, he won’t get one. 2 years. It’s new management. They are in “show me” mode.

Kind of thought after the signing of the “Memorandum” it would be like free agent day or trade deadline day opening.

Perhaps for about a day or two owners are actually asking the GM’s to watch their spending….I can’t see them being logical for too much longer.

• Cal says:

That’s a load of crap. The “reporter” didn’t even talk to Leblanc. Filosa reads like another a-hole trying to stir the pot.
      Leblanc is recovering from a high ankle sprain. This kind of injury takes time to heal.

• JF says:

Thanks. I don’t believe a word of it. As Cal says, the reporter didn’t even talk to Leblanc. Besides, I’ve heard only good things about the Hamilton coaches, and the team, despite their lack of scoring and few victories, are playing a lot better than they were at the beginning of the season.

I watched a Dogs game last week, the one they won 2-1 with a weird goal right at the end. Leblanc did not score, but I thought he looked very good. High ankle sprains are brutal to recover from.

I doubt any of the kids from Hamilton will make the team out of training camp, although Gabriel Dumont might have a chance of winning the 4th-line centre spot with Petteri Nokelainen out to start the season. It’s about possible call-ups later.

• Haberoooo13 says:

Agreed..Horsecaca article…no word from Louis or anyone from the Habs organization .
        I think Dumont will get a decent look and probably be high up on the callup list

Na Na Na Les Canadiens Les Canadiens

• Habfan10912 says:

I’ll admit it was a bit of a poor translation I had but does anyone have any toi stats for the dogs this season? The Bulldog games I’ve watched this season Louie was not in the lineup.
      I have no idea who this 985 bunch is. Are they a bit like a tabloid organization?

———————————–

30. Marc10 says:

That’s a lot of specific info in the Leblanc article. If even half of it is true, it’s nuts…

Louis was good for us last year. He worked hard and didn’t embarrass himself. I even thought he was ahead of DD in his first showing at the top level.

The kid was calm, mature, smart and has a strong work ethic… If he’s not performing, it’s high time the guys in Ham pull out the Guy Boucher psychology play book and get their act together.

WTF?!

31. durocher says:

If Gomez is truly going to play this season, where does he fit in? Necessarily, he must knock out some other C. It won’t be DD, it won’t be Pleks. To accommodate Gomez, perhaps we can trade Eller — I would propose Eller, Diaz, and Weber to Columbus for David Savard, Cody Goloubef, and a 3rd round pick. If we do buy out Gomez after this season, we only would need to fill a 3rd line C role, which perhaps could be filled by Gally or Leblanc. That would yield:

MaxPower-DD-Cole
    Gally-Pleks-Gio
    Bourque-Gomez-Prust
    Moen-Dumont/White-Armstrong

Gorges-Subban
    Markov-Emelin
    Cube-Savard
    St-Denis/Kaberle

Price
    Flanders

• wildwilly says:

In this condensed season, you can guarantee there will be lots of injuries. I imagine at any point in the season you can bank on at least 4 people injured. If it looks like we have too many bodies, just wait a week or two. Too much is just enough for now.

• SlovakHab says:

Trading Eller for a couple of fringe NHL defensemen to make room for Gomez, who will be in turn bought out… and giving away Diaz in the process.
      Is that you, Pierre Gauthier??

32. HabFanSince72 says:

That piece on Leblanc linked to earlier is worrisome. If it is true ( a big if) the Hamilton coaches are taking the Michel Therrien approach to player psychology.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• SlovakHab says:

From what I’ve seen and read, I have absolutely zero confidence in Hamilton coaching staff. They have had good coaching for several years now but the guys running them now are in sharp contrast with them.

I miss having BriseBois as a GM and Boucher, Lever or even Cunneyworth as Hamilton coach.

• The Dude says:

That Leblanc article was simply f’n Sad! This hockey years got me in a fetal position and now these stories.Great ,while my thumb is in my yap some Bulldogs coach has got his thumb up his arse…

33. Da Hema says:

…and the headline the next day will be “Markov Injured In Season Opener.”

Milan Jurcina is available as a free agent. The dude is only 29, probably as big as Chara… I am sure he can’t be worse than Weber or Diaz. As a 6th dmen who can hit and clear the crease.

35. Bozo McBozo says:

Scott Gomez will lead the Habs to the illusive 25th Cup!

Dumont to RDS: “Je suis ici pour rester”. Haha… dream on, buddy.

So what does everyone think about home boy Louis Leblanc not being invited to the camp?

• jols101 says:

He has been terrible. Many excuse his play due to the ankle injury he had early in the season, I’m not sure if that is it or if he just isn’t that good of a hockey player. Either way, he has been brutal so far, so home boy or no home boy he doesn’t deserve to be at the Habs camp.

• Mike D says:

With a shortened camp, many teams upper-echelon prospects aren’t being invited to camp. There’s better players than LL not being invited by their respective teams either.

I’m rooting for LL to be a good player for us but he hasn’t dazzled me as of yet, and unfortunately, injuries have held him back too.

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• Sean Bonjovi says:

1. Dumont has earned the ceremonial honour of an invitation to camp.
      2. Commodore’s there because the Canadiens don’t have him under contract
      3. Galchenyuk’s there because he might be good enough to make the team, but mostly because they pretty much have to invite him.
      4. Tinordi’s there because Bergevin’s thinking about trading someone ahead of him on the “defensive-defenceman” depth chart, or maybe trading for a new guy like that, and they need to know how far Tinordi is from the NHL.
      5. Gallagher’s there because Bergevin’s thinking of trading Gallagher.

None of those guys (besides Commodore) are really trying out for this years team and that’s why they didn’t bother pulling Leblanc out of Hamiltons line-up. They already know what Leblanc is and what he’s got too do to make the team, and 6 days of practice isn’t going to change anything.

38. Mike D says:

Surprised there hasn’t been any signings/trades yet. Most GM’s apparently stated they will wait for tomorrow, but kinda surprised that NOTHING has happened as of yet.

– Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

39. sreuel says:

Tickets are more expensive in Toronto how can anyone afford. But they still can get people to buy even after fans were upset the strike went on for a long time. Go figure

40. savethepuck says:

So according to the TSN schedule this season, if I counted correctly, 9 of 42 games to be aired on TSN this season will involve the Habs. A lot of good games too. I will get to see all 48 games on RDS but prefer to watch in English.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

41. sreuel says:

Subban is in Montreal according to Bob Mckenzie awaiting the word

• Saintpatrick33 says:

Wasn’t there a rumor that he was close to signing? I guess it was just a rumor :(

• Mike D says:

Subban is NOT in Montreal according to Stubbs, and Bob McKenzie never tweeted that Subban was in Montreal.

What are you talking about?

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• savethepuck says:

Sounds better than what was previously reported. I am sure that the last 4 mths have reiterated to us all that this is a business, so I hope too many on here don’t crap on PK if this doesn’t get done right away. He hired an Agent to do a job for him and that’s what we will be dealing with now. Hope it is settled soon for the betterment of the team.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

42. Habilis says:

“Dave Stubbs‏@Dave_Stubbs
    Unless he’s signed overnight & jumps a dawn flight, @PKSubban1 will be in Toronto Sunday when #Habs hit Brossard ice for 1st camp workout”

I gott say I’m actually disappointed about that. I know it’s not a big deal but they have had ample time to figure this out.

• Mike D says:

I agree they should have had this figured out by now, but I wonder if Meehan (PK’s agent) is using the Montreal media/fanbase as leverage over MB to try and get a better deal for PK. Meehan is a smart agent and knows MB will feel the pressure if PK isn’t signed in a hurry.

I’m a little disappointed PK isn’t at least in Montreal so he’s ready to report as soon as his deal is signed.

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

43. showey47 says:

Trade deadline april 3rd and free agency july 5th for this year only.

44. habs001 says:

Optimum game tickets 8 categories over $200 with top being 418 ..sorry Nhl your product is the best vs other hockey leagues but not by this much in pricing…

• Mike D says:

That’s disgusting. What’s worse is that they’ll sell out every home game anyway.

Absolutely no deterrent to prevent future work stoppages but fans complain that owners/players don’t care about them.

Hint: This is why.

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

45. otter649 says:

Last game of the regular season is April 27 which is my birthday so I hope by that time The Habs are in the playoffs & I don’t to worry about the last game of the season too much. I still remember when The Habs were going for their 5th Stanley Cup from the late 70’s and got eliminated by The Minnesota North Stars on a late goal on April 27 as well as by Boston ? recently……..

46. habs001 says:

Habs back and Packers gone good news all around..lol

47. Andy and the habs says:

Unbeaten streak for the Maple Leafs end January 19. You heard it here first.

48. Steven says:

And now the Packers lose. Tonight isn’t my night for football :(

49. Mike D says:

Less than 45 minutes until signings/trades can start!

Any takers on guessing what the first trade will be?

– Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

50. EsseV says:

things going down to hell for louis leblanc? http://www.985sports.ca/hockey/nouvelles/louis-leblanc-vivrait-l-enfer-a-hamilton-200432.html
    big summary, reporter says Leblanc is constantly criticized, insulted, doesnt sleep anymore and thinks he will be traded soon
    remains to be seen how much of it is true but ive rarely seen such report about a player being “mistreated”

• Sharks9 says:

If even a fraction of that’s true, it’s terrible news for him and all our other prospects in Hamilton.

25 before 14

• jols101 says:

Sounds like a bunch of bull to me but you never know.

• Mike D says:

I’m always skeptical of reports like this. I hope it’s not true and I seriously doubt it is.

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• Mothstoflame says:

I sincerely think this may be somebody who is mad he did not get a camp invite? Louie has a great work ethic, and I’m sure the Montreal organization would have all tools for there prospects to succeed. And I really do like louie and hope it turns around. It was just a tough injury

• savethepuck says:

It is probably good that i have a limited understanding of French and I haven’t figured out how to use Google translate on my new BB Playbook
      yet. Without reading it, I assume it is an over reaction to LL not being invited to camp. I think with a 6 day camp, the only players invited to camp were those who had a legitimate chance to begin the season in Mtl..I don’t consider it a knock on LL that he’s not invited, I believe it just means he hasn’t 100 percent recovered from his high ankle sprain yet. Media just likes to stir up crap.
      “They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Andy and the habs says:

Who’s 98.5 FM anyway?

• Bill says:

Frigging xenophobic French media is just as insane post-lockout, I see. Hockey is truly back!

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Saintpatrick33 says:

Honestly I haven’t been all that impressed with Leblanc but on the flip side I haven’t really had alot of faith in our development program either. If it’s true its disgraceful that the kid is treated like that.

51. Mothstoflame says:

first!

52. Habfan10912 says:

I tend to agree but must admit as it pertains to PK I am certainly biased. I think Cal and others are looking at it from a more cap management perspective as the first two years are restricted and your team should gain some cap advantage. That said I’d make a sucky GM because I just want him signed.

———————————–

53. Habfan10912 says:

Not me? I have a serious man crush on PK.

———————————–

So what if he still fits in fine even with the Kaberle contract in place? Or is that irrelevant to your rant.

I do specifically remember also seeing those guys pumping the Diaz/Weber and especially Campoli’s tires.

PG certainly handcuffed MB as it relates to cap. Thankfully this coming offseason we have opportunity to free up some space.

If Kaberle indeed is in better shape and perhaps shows some of what has made him an NHL’er maybe we avoid a buyout and get a trade out of him.

He did start last year in a brutal way by being lazy in the offseason and showing up to camp out of shape. Sometimes an embarrassing season is what a player needs to wake him up.

I do think MB will start making moves and finally knows the new CBA landscape and can start to make the team his own.

Lets just hope his plan is good. I like the idea of Dudley being on the mgmt team as he is a big fan of developing the teams young players and have to believe PK is a big part of that.

Cheers jcc!