“It is what it is,” Cammalleri says of ban

AUDIO: Mike Cammalleri | Jacques Martin | Brian Gionta | Tomas Plekanec | Lars Eller

Speaking for the first time since Saturday’s incident that led to his suspension, Mike Cammalleri was reluctant to discuss particulars.

“My opinion,” he said today after a training camp session in Clermont, “is an arbitrary one, like anyone else’s. The only opinion that has any credence is that of the league … The less we talk about this, the better.”

Cammalleri admitted he was disappointed to not begin the season in his hometown.

The captain’s take:

“The league is doing what it has to do,” said Brian Gionta, who also observed “c’est tres beau ici” in the Charlevoix region.

On  a lighter note, reflecting on team bonding at the retreat Cammalleri said:

“Hal Gill talks a lot. We all need some earplugs by now.”

•  •  •

Alex Henry is on waivers. This move suggests Roman Hamrlik, without benefit of a training camp, will be ready for the opener in Toronto.

It seems unlikely that Habs will make final cuts tomorrow in Quebec City, so a full plane will fly to Toronto mid-afternoon Wednesday, a few then detouring to Hamilton. Jacques Martin wasn’t saying yesterday whether he’ll carry a 22- or 23-man roster into opening night.

Practice lines were largely unchanged today from yesterday, with a few notable exceptions that feature Lars Eller moving into the spot of the suspended Michael Cammalleri. Here’s the look today:

Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta; Eller-Plekanec-Kostitsyn; Lapierre-Halpern-Darche; Pyatt-Boyd-Moen; Cammalleri-Maxwell-White.

Defence pairings: Spacek-Subban; Gorges-Gill; Picard-O’Byrne; Henry-Weber; Markov-Hamrlik.

• Marc Antoine Godin’s training camp report card

Hammer without a single pre-season game under is belt… I will playing a drinking game with the number of turnovers he commits on thursday.

2. CP31 says:

RHETORICAL QUESTION OF THE DAY: Anyone surprised to see CP on this list?!?!?

FROM SAKU TO GIO, SAME STATURE AND JUST AS MUCH HEART!! GREAT DECISION!!

3. TomNickle says:

It has nothing to do with toughness.  Henry’s been better.  In all areas of the game where they’ve seen opportunities, Henry’s been better.  Less mistakes.  That’s all you want from a defenseman, especially a 6 or 7 guy.  Fewest mistakes possible.  That’s what Henry does.

O’Byrne and Picard did very little other than screw up.  They must have been pretty damn good in camp.

4. CERF says:

oh man.. thats some artical! talk about embarrassing!

5. BJ says:

Another brain dead decision by management. We have what exactly toughness wise? Its still an important part of the game. Was not Henry penned as captain in Hamilton? We could have used him vs the Leafs.

6. Storm Man says:

Why would you want Montreal to put a claim on him?

7. TomNickle says:

Alex Henry on waivers while O’Byrne and Picard stick.

There’s something wrong with this picture.

8. Bugs says:

Yeah, but we did that with Halak, Dubby.

They’re talkin about the Priceberg.

Hello? They got a leg to stand on.

Quite self-satisfied, I smirk as

9. Mark C says:

Well, Grabner didn’t make it too far, the NYI claimed him today. I wonder if Montreal put in a claim, oh well.

10. Bugs says:

This one’s beautiful.

But not freaky.

You need to photoshop a purple alien in a disco suit dancin on the scoreboard or somethin.

Quite self-satisfied, I smirk as

11. Storm Man says:

I find it a very disgusting scum of the earth thing to do. Knock on wood it has never happened to me in person( God help that person if it did) Even playing football in the states saw it happen a few times. I get possessed just thinking about it.

12. Malreg says:

Two-way contracts does not mean you don’t have to go through waivers.  Two-way just means that the player has a different salary if he plays in the AHL.  For example, $600k NHL salary, $120k AHL salary, would be a two-way contract.  One-way means you have to pay him the $600k even if he plays in the AHL.

13. CP31 says:

Here it is……………..EMBARRASSING!!! Anything to sell a newspaper eh, Toronto?!?!?!

FROM SAKU TO GIO, SAME STATURE AND JUST AS MUCH HEART!! GREAT DECISION!!

14. Corio says:

Henry on waivers..

15. SeriousFan09 says:

Hamrlik must be considered ready for the opener.

16. Bash says:

Didn’t he have a two way contract?

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

17. Max_a_million says:

I told you once Red Fisher sees it on the youtube he would axe the Maple Leaf colours.

Sorry dude, it did make you memorable at least.

18. Bash says:

Smooth as silk..two fakes and a quick wrister upstairs…

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

19. flanman says:

Alex Henry was placed on waivers per renaud lavoie’s twitter account.

20. pic1983 says:

Are those bodogs lines? cause if they are, im going to go drop some dough on pleks right now.

61.5 over/under? what a joke….cant get any respect this guy.

I have him pencilled in for at least 75

21. lefreak says:

goebbel did not approve!!!!!!!:P

my bad if it was a tad offensive…you live, you learn.

sorry.

22. CP31 says:

So I’m listening to AM590 (I know, I know………PRO-LEAF station, ha ha!) at work and apparently the glorious Toronto Sun newspaper put a picture of Nazem Kadri sucking on a soother today. Any truth to the rumor? Has anyone seen this? I couldn’t find it on the internet.

If true, I’ve been getting a lot of flack lately from “on the wagon/off the wagon” Leaf fans about how we treat our players ie/booing Price. WHAT HYPOCRISY!! Don’t get me wrong we have some of the most fickle and ignorant fans but I truly believe Toronto has the same amount of idiots!!

I’m sure Kadri is proud to be a Leaf fan today!

FROM SAKU TO GIO, SAME STATURE AND JUST AS MUCH HEART!! GREAT DECISION!!

23. Storm Man says:

He is not the only one who did the book that is why I picked it up :).

24. TorontoHabsFan says:

Looking at those forward combinations, I think I can guess which players aren’t making the cut :)

25. lefreak says:

as i find the SS uniform appalling…it is why i think the combo is a match made in heaven. Plus, it will endear me to the bleu blanc rouge coloured glasses wearing clique around here when i am honest about what i saw instead of planning the parade.:P

I’m just really hyper for the season to start and having a little fun…i do stuff like this to rile up friends who are leafs fans on another site for fun. We have a bet going, when the habs play the leafs…the losers have to sport the colours for the other team…to be a bit of a tit, i decided to make it mine. I have sneaking suspicion that we might drop the opener, so i might as well get used to it:P

schnell habs schnell!

26. Bugs says:

Oh, jeez, I didn’t see that at all. I thought it was like a freaky ghost’s head.

But if it was what you say it was, I retract my earlier statement.

Apologies.

Quite self-satisfied, I smirk as

27. HabFab says:

Alex Henry has played 177 NHL games for the Oilers,Capitals,Wild and now the Habs. He is entering his 11 year as a Pro. Nice fill in but no NHLer, tough enough but not skilled enough to play full time. Unfortunately another guy who has been on the bubble his whole career. Great guy for organizational depth.

28. SeriousFan09 says:

History channel, Hitler, antique shows or movies that have less connection with actual history than The Da Vinci Code.

29. Bugs says:

Don’t think you could get away with it in the NHL.

First, there’s the “covering the puck” issue.

And secondly, by “covering the puck” that way, FERSURE it “goes backwards” before you shoot.

It looked illegal to me.

Quite self-satisfied, I smirk as

Fan Summit Updates

Cut off dates for HIO deal price at THE NOVATEL HOTEL is tomorrow.

Make the call ASAP so not to miss out.   The hotel  number for Novotel reservations is: 1-514-871-2138

31. Max_a_million says:

Did you notice that there is a Maple Leaf jersey in the pic?  We can’t even see the head, it just looks like an old goalie style mask.  It’s the sweater that we find appalling!

32. lefreak says:

it isn’t meant to be thought provoking, or anti semite…i just found the picture of hitler’s head superimposed on top of kaberle’s amusing.

hitler is on the history channel 24 hours a day…in 2010 he is a character in history, nothing more and nothing less.

33. StevieRay says:

I was wondering that except ..Boyd,Halpern and Eller are listed .

34. pic1983 says:

“Perhaps Red Fisher who reports on things he doesn’t take the time to watch”

hahahahah well played

35. Bugs says:

What’s wrong with it?

It looks like a Le Freak to me.

Quite self-satisfied, I smirk as

36. TomNickle says:

If he weren’t such a pompous ass I would give it a look.

Tony Dungy is a great read about life, coaching, football and leadership.

37. Max_a_million says:

How in the world is that Avatar fine?  How did it pass a decency standard?

Who is checking these things?!?  Perhaps Red Fisher who reports on things he doesn’t take the time to watch.

38. flowerpower_74 says:

Wow , I really had no idea why OB did that and now it all makes sense.

Thanks for sharing and my opinion of OB just went up a little.

BTW…

Where did you get this info?

Habs will gel as a team.

39. Storm Man says:

If anyone is looking for a good football book to read. The games that changed the game. It is written by Ron Jaworski aka Jaws.

40. WarHero says:

It makes my eariler predictions look pretty good :)

http://my.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?user_id=75112&post_id=10164 – Centers

http://my.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?user_id=75112&post_id=10216 – Wingers

http://my.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?user_id=75112&post_id=10255 – Defensemen

————————————————————————

41. lefreak says:

its fine now, thank you.:)

42. TomNickle says:

Saw your spitting spiel yesterday Tim.  Completely agree with you.  And there’s nothing one person can do to another to set them off more than spitting on them.

I got spit on once and don’t remember what I did to the guy, just remember how he looked afterward, a friend told me that I looked possessed.

43. flowerpower_74 says:

I agree with Jan(yan) wholeheartedly and what are you on today Tom?

Habs will gel as a team.

44. SeriousFan09 says:

How was Avtsin’s SO goal?

45. SeriousFan09 says:

It takes time for the new avatars to update, I’m pretty sure the site managers double-check all avatars to make sure it passes their decency standards before they’re updated.

46. lefreak says:

ps…any reason that i can’t upload the new avatar? the requirements of the picture all meet what is allowed, it just won’t update.

47. lefreak says:

will the season start already? i’m all for tantric activities, but let’s get to the payoff!!!

48. Storm Man says:

I think the last update was late summer.

49. Bash says:

I saw it live Ian…we didn’t know whether to laugh or cry! The crowd went nuts!

BTW…several of our prospects looked very good.And by that I mean they have the tools to make a difference down the road. Avtsin and Enqvist played on a line with Conboy. They have a nice combination of size and creativity…Conboy not so much. It will interesting to see how they develop.

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

Alright you people, here is a goal for us to try in the next shoot out.

Minor-leaguer’s one-of-a-kind hockey goal

51. TomNickle says:

Any chance that’s last season’s roster considering NHL.com runs the website guys?

52. SeriousFan09 says:

Tommy Jagr still can’t get any respect, Puck Daddy has an over-under of 61.5 points while scrambled-brain Savard, Derek Roy, John Tavares, Nik Antropov are all getting higher over-unders. To see some head-scratching predictions, click here.

53. von says:

Picard isn’t listed either.

_________________________________

“Obviously it would be great, but they don’t really hang conference titles in this rink. They raise Stanley Cup banners.” – Carey Price

I get my own clause – sweet.

55. shiram says:

Saw that yesterday, pretty interesting. Let’s see if it catches on.

56. JD_ says:

You’ve kinda lost me. Why are you sorry?

57. StevieRay says:

Just looked on the Canadiens website to see what was listed for a roster … 22 players … Ryan White not included Ben Maxwell is . Not sure though how valid the list is.

58. Matthew says:

Doing that would be a breach of HI/O code of conduct Clause 4.32, the so-called Timo clause, designed to make reading posts more of a pleasant experience…

59. TomNickle says:

To me he looks like he’s in better shape than ever and personally I think he’s on a mission to take his game to the next level.

I would be surprised if he scored less than 80 points this season.

60. Chips says:

The purse snatching incident is a rather large feather in OB’s cap in my mind, as he went after it to get a camera that had pics on it that were not good for the rep of certain players. Doing something about it and then taking the rap for it, certainly makes him a team guy!!! as for his ability, he has shown quite  afew times that he has the capability to be physical and effective defensively. His play last year was much improved, though I admit that he’s had a relatively poor pre-season. Definitely wouldn’t make thru the waiver wire imo.

25 in 2011

61. Max_a_million says:

If you are going to have the Great Gazoo as your avatar, don’t you have to end all of your entries with “dumb dumb”.

62. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

Seriously Tom, normally I like your posts. You usually have a lot of compelling arguments. However, I just can’t understand or support this crusade you are on today. Alex Henry does not belong on the Canadiens. If O’Byrne is not the solution either, then a trade will be made. Henry will not be an option for the Habs this year. Seriously.

63. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

Seriously? I mean, Hammer gave me fits at times last year (especially in the playoffs), but I would never go so far as to say that Alex Henry would be a more viable option on defense than Roman Hamrlik. If Hamrlik gets proper minutes, i.e. not 22+ and more lik 17 a game, he will be very valuable to the team.

64. ZepFan2 says:

Last year in the playoffs.

In the 13 games he played, O’byrne had, 32 hits and 26 blocked shots. Ranking him 5th in blk’d shots on the Habs and 21st overall.

Now granted, he wasn’t too impressive in the pre-season. That being said, neither was Spacek.

I’ll wait for the regular seaon to start before I pass judgement.

————————————————————————–

- Steven Tyler

65. nunacanadien says:

Is that the same play where Price lets the floater in?  Heck drink the whole case then.

66. TomNickle says:

He’s a better option than O’Byrne at the very least.

67. Mattyleg says:

The one that has the bigger paycheck.

…was that one of the options?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

68. TomNickle says:

Well I’m sorry that you perceived Henry to be making mistakes in his own end.

69. Mattyleg says:

Huh. Never looked at it that way.

That certainly is what that certainly is:

That.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

70. Chorske says:

I hate to direct traffic their way, because the organization as a whole is awful (and run by a vertically challenged fascist), but NHL.com has extended replays of the game- one can often catch 8+ minutes of a game in their video sections. I think of it as the “good parts” version of a game, and it’s well worth watching. Getting there is a chore- you need to go directly to their video page, and not follow any of the links on the main page (epic fail in site design and navigability, too).

71. Chorske says:

Cue Tom asking you about shooting the puck over the glass in 3… 2…

72. Bill H says:

“The other part of this is can we wait and see before crucifying
    management. some people (welcome back Timo) will never be happy. you’d
    think finishing in the final 4 would shut some people up, but for
    Christ’s sake, I doubt the Stanley Cup would even do that.”

LOL  I have no doubt a Stanley Cup win would do it, at least through to the parade.  Then it would start again.

Why haven’t they extended so-and-so yet?”

“What?  They didn’t sign him?”

And then draft day…

“They should have traded up.”

“They should have traded down.”

“What a bunch of morons.”

Then there would be free agency signings…and so it goes.

73. Mark C says:

Where is it written that Alex Henry can do all that at the NHL level, without having his flaws exposed? You have to go back to 2003-04 to find any NHL experience that comes close to 15 minutes per game. In 71 games he had 2 goals and 6 points that season.

74. JD_ says:

There is no such beast as a mistake-free hockey player. There are, however, players who make few mistakes. Unfortunately, Alex Henry is not one of them.

Watchin’ the preseason games, I was enjoyin’ Henry’s robust style, as was my son. At the time, I mentioned that, despite all of this, the likely reason Henry won’t make the roster is the inordinate number of mistakes he is makin’ in his own end. As it is with many minor leaguers, a lack of NHL experience leads to poor decision-makin’ when the pressure’s on.

75. SeriousFan09 says:

He’s dominated 4 games in the Q (a tiny sample size) so far but the Q is still the softest part of the CHL and there’s no guarantee he could transfer that dominance to the AHL where he is behind a lot of AHL players with more experience to hold a C position so it’s best for him to get top ice time right now and work on his game in a long season environment where he can dominate and adapt to long seasons.

76. Habsrule1 says:

I say he should just skip the AHL and come directly to the NHL. after all, he’s dominated 4 games in the Q.

It’s a NO-BRAINER!

Go Habs Go!! “Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.” – Sam Pollock

77. SeriousFan09 says:

Hey guys, remember Matt D’Agostini’s scoring streak when he first joined the Habs? Yeah, that was a fun 3 weeks…

He’s been great in 4 games, how about we wait until after 10, 20 or see what he does at the World Juniors before declaring him ready for AHL hockey?

78. TomNickle says:

The ultimate goal for Leblanc isn’t to be dominant in the QMJHL.  It’s to be a productive NHL hockey player.  I don’t know if the team can send him to Hamilton.  But it would be a better place for him to learn how to be a professional than Montreal Juniors is.

79. Bryan says:

That’s only the case if the player had played in junior prior to the season.  Leblanc was eligible to play in the AHL since he played NCAA last season.

_______________________________

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

80. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

There’s nothing wrong with him dominating junior for a full season. It would actually be better for his development than to go straight to Hamilton and play a checking role where he would struggle while still growqing into his body, Besides, it has only been 4 games. While I think he will dominate all year, let’s see what happens when he gets to 40 games. He only played 31 last year. Let’s see how he adjusts to a real hockey season. Also, it will be very good for his development if he were to make the WJC team. We can afford to take our time with him with Plekanec, Gomez and Eller down the middle right now.

81. SeriousFan09 says:

If the Canadiens thought Leblanc was ready for the Bulldogs, they would have assigned them there but they didn’t. He was under no CHL obligations because of his Quebec Triple A to USHL to NCAA route so he could have joined the AHL like Pacioretty did at a similar age without consequence. They didn’t see a player ready for a professional hockey league. Allowing players to dominate each level of hockey before they move up is generally considered solid development, hence PK’s OHL than AHL time than waiting until the NHL Playoffs to call him up.

The Canadiens do a textbook job of developing Subban and he’s hitting the NHL in the 4th year since he was drafted, that’s the right model to follow and it’s the one they’re approaching with Leblanc. Careful development, not rushed.

82. adam76 says:

He can;t play in the AHL.

83. pic1983 says:

I heard that also.

Apparently hes making like 6 figures to play in junior because those were the terms of his contract because he could have played in the AHL.  I thought it didnt make any sense because I thought any junior eligble player HAD to play junior if they werent playing in the NHL, until someone told me that NCAA players dont have to go to junior and can go right to the AHL.

84. pic1983 says:

I disagree.  As I mentioned above, if he didnt have these exact set of circumstances available to him, I doubt he would have left harvard.  A) Ive heard that the organization is paying him essentially what he would make in the AHL (or more) to play junior because he is AHL eligible.  B) he’s playing close to home, and has a chance to study at mcgill.

IF he couldnt go to school, didnt have an opportunity to play close to home, and had to play with the bullogs, I doubt he would have left harvard.

85. SeriousFan09 says:

Leblanc needs to adjust to a long schedule after a relatively soft year at Harvard (31 GP) and a 68-game Q season plus WJC and potentially Q playoffs and Memorial Cup berth will be good for him. The kid still needs to put on about 15 pounds for the NHL anyway and it’ll take time to properly build that strength and adjust to it.

86. TomNickle says:

He’d get the long schedule in Hamilton and a chance to learn what professional hockey is about instead of being a big fish in a little pond.

The transition to the NHL would be much smoother for him if were in Hamilton right now.

87. Bryan says:

I don’t see how he’s “too” good for junior.  It’ll be nice for him to dominate at a level before playing professional hockey.  he didn’t exactly tear it up at Havard.

_______________________________

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

88. TomNickle says:

He’s dominating now.  This is my point.

89. Chorske says:

what utter claptrap

90. Bill H says:

I could be mistaken about this, but I don’t think the AHL is an option for Leblanc at this point.  I believe there is an agreement between the Canadian junior leagues and the AHL and players in junior cannot go to AHL until something like 20 years old.  That is what happened to Latendresse.  He was doing great in junior at an early age.  He did well in Habs training camp.  There was no AHL option for him because he was still junior elegible.  The choice was either send him back to junior or give him a try with the Habs.  Management decided that he had progressed as much as he would with junior hockey, so they gave him a shot with the Habs.

The same restriction does not apply to players in US College hockey.  So Leblanc could have gone straight from Harvard to the Bulldogs.  But that is not an option at this time for Leblanc in the Q.

That’s the way I remember it going down with Latendresse.  Those with a better memory, please feel free to correct me.

91. G-Man says:

The Captain of the Bulldogs gets waived. What a surprise. No one will claim him for their NHL squad. The good news is Hamrlik is ready sooner rather than later. Enough calling Henry a better d-man than Hamrlik- there are good reasons why Henry has played 2 NHL games in the last 5 seasons.

92. TomNickle says:

HAHAHAHA…..that must be why he got benched by Jacques(I never bench veterans)Martin

93. RGM says:

Except for Gill and Gorges, Subban, and Markov prior to his injury, sure.

94. lefreak says:

Hammer might have lost a step, but he eats up minutes and has a good nose for the game still. Without someone like him to back up the young gun, you will see A LOT of odd man rushes towards our end due to rookie decision making on the offensive side. PK is still a work in progress, a good one no  doubt, but still one that needs to learn the NHL game a bit more. Great playoffs or not, he is going to make Martin chew on his nails on many shifts this year…us too.

95. Chorske says:

As painful as it can be to watch, I catch every game.

I don’t get the hate-on, Tom. There are guys who have worse tendencies to get caught out of position or do too much (Subban), make overly ballsy passes (Spacek), or simply get outmoved (O’Byrne). I don’t see Hamrlik as having any glaring weakness besides his age (and European origin, a problem for some but not for me). Henry had a strong camp, he will be back, and I really don’t get the ZOMFG!!1! panic going on over this.

96. lefreak says:

since we are on  the subject of hammer…let’s just hope he gets less delay of game penalties for getting the puck over the glass. That is my biggest ineptude i want him to correct…hard on the boards aand out sti!

97. TomNickle says:

It’s not panic and Hamrlik and O’Byrne could very well prove me wrong.

My problem is that you’ve got a guy in Henry who has only been given 2 chances in his career because of his problems with positioning, discipline and puck moving ability.  I watch him in the pre-season and I see a guy who has clearly worked on these things.  Then I look at a guy like O’Byrne who can’t correct a simple mistake like putting the puck over the glass everytime it touches his stick.  I see a guy in Hamrlik who turns the puck over with regularity, passes the puck so hard that it’s an icing 7 times out of 10 and is not physical.

Before the cap era there was a saying about defensemen at the NHL level and it was that the popcorn doesn’t usually pop until the age of 30.

Henry is 31.  Sure Hamrlik commands a hefty salary and O’Byrne is a homegrown draft pick.  But it’s my opinion that while we’re vulnerable, Henry gives us a better chance to win hockey games in October.

This may be a bad example because Mike Komisarek was a 1st round pick and a young player when he was forced into action.  But what would’ve happened when we trailed the Bruins 3-1 if Stephane Quintal hadn’t been hurt and Komisarek didn’t get a chance to step in?

My point here is that Henry is better today.  He might not be tomorrow and probably won’t be in a month.  But as I type this he is.  And because of that, he should still be with the club.

98. TomNickle says:

and Spacek and Bergeron and O’Byrne

99. Chorske says:

Well, if it’s any consolation, JM will probably bench O’Byrne after his first mistake, and make him ride the pine from that point on. JM has never shown much patience with him (until now, perhaps?), and his preference for older players is well-known. Henry will probably get called back sooner rather than later.

100. adam76 says:

Are you really saying O’Byrne and BERGERON (!?) preformed better then the Hammer in last years playoffs?

101. pic1983 says:

Really dude?

I watch every single game also, and HAMR is definitely the defenseman I noticed the most last season for all the wrong reasons.  Some games I was literally convinced that the guy was drunk.

102. SeriousFan09 says:

Hamrlik turned in 1757 (29 1/4 hours spent on the ice) minutes of ice time for the Habs last season, 157 blocked shots and despite being an apparent disaster, kept to a -2 rating despite having to all the heavy lifting in the first half of the season and a -1 in post-season.

If he has to play like the #1, he’s going to feel the toll in that 36-year old body with over 1200 GP in his career and weaken over the season but as a 2nd-pairing D, he’s a smart positional defencemen who will block shots, take hits and do his job.

103. Chorske says:

Subban is going to hide Hamrlik ineptitude? Really? It’s more like Hamrlik is a good reliable counterpoint to Subban’s occasional youthful excesses.

Maybe watch the games, yah?

104. TomNickle says:

As painful as it is to watch Hamrlik trapping himself on the half boards with the puck in our end and him turning the puck over or icing it whenever he has it, I do watch.

If you don’t see Hamrlik doing these things on a regular basis, I would suggest you heed your own advice if you’re going to make comments like your last one.

105. Habsrule1 says:

It actually does seem like you don’t watch. Hammer was probably our best defenseman in the playoffs last year.

106. SoupStrainerMcPhee says:

Did anyone listen to the audio of Gionta?

TSN’s Michael Whelan’s second question sounds like, “Is it a bit of a thrill for you not to have him (cammalleri) in the line-up”.  You can tell that’s what Gionta heard too.

I think Whelan may have said “throw” not “thrill”, but it was a poorly phrased question nonetheless.

There you go.  After two years of lurking these boards, this is my first comment.  I hardly should have bothered.

Well, you’ve got to start somewhere.  Looking forward to this season, cautiously optimistic.  Keep up the great work Boone and Co.

Peace

JL

107. Chorske says:

Welcome aboard.

108. cautiousoptimist says:

Welcome!  I’m cautiously optimistic too. : )

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  109. adam76 says:

Mike McPhee!!!!!!

110. Mattyleg says:

I completely disagree with everything you said!!!

Welcome to posting on HI/O. There’s more where that came from, I’m afraid…

;-)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

You look happy. This is not going to fly here.

112. krob1000 says:

Has there ever been a more steady consistent guy than Mike Mcphee…seriously ever?? http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=3632

He scored 17,19,18,23,19,23,22,16,18,20 goals in his 10 NHL seasons ….and never took a single shift off……

113. Da Hema says:

Would (could?) Cammi say that to Gill’s face?

————————

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

114. HugeHabsFan says:

I guess the answer is really yes AND no.  He is basically a foot shorter than Gill, lol.

………..

“Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!”

I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

Cammalleri: “I almost feel bad for a guy who plays an NHL career without experiencing what it’s like to be a Montreal Canadien”.

115. Danno says:

Everything Gill says goes over Cammy’s head.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

116. matmacat says:

jokes aside, why not?

Hey Hal, hold this ladder for me, will you. Thank you. Ok… Now. You talk a lot. We are all going to need earpl..

Plow! Kaboom!

118. Say Ash says:

Depends – is his stick handy?

119. Danno says:

He could.

Then he would say “I’ll get off these stilts if you sit down for a minute.”

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

120. lefreak says:

any good lawyer will tell you to shut up no matter how innocent you might be:p

121. mchab33 says:

I never thought of it like that.  Makes sense.

I don’t think Price’s comments right after the game in question would have helped how people reacted but who knows……

122. Fant-HAB-ulous says:

Here…let me save you the trouble and tell you what Cammalleri will say after being heavily coached by Habs PR:

“It was a gut reaction, and I should have controled myself better. I am the vetran and should have used my experience to steady my emotions. I don’t think my suspension is unfair, and I am sure they took the blindsided hit I received into consideration. The only thing that gets my upset is that I won’t be there on opening day on the ice, but I will be supporting my teamates off the ice.”

It’s not like he’s going to come out there and blast some rookie or the NHL brass…it’s going to be a boring, rehearsed clip.

What you want to do is catch what he says to his teamates about it, that’s when you’ll get his real feelings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

123. habaddict_andy says:

Hahaha, good press conference Fant-Hab.  That is expected.  It’s the right way to go too.  If it were Gomez maybe we would be expecting the unexpected.  He likes to go against what is considered politically correct with few jokes.

Scott Gomez to Montreal Media “You’re a pain in the neck, but you’re our pain in the neck.”

124. RGM says:

Dave, is there any word on whether it will be today or tomorrow that the final roster is announced? And as a follow-up, will the Habs be carrying a full 23-man roster? This is where we’re at right now:

FORWARDS
    Scott Gomez ($7.357m) / Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
    Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.250m) / Travis Moen ($1.500m)
    Benoit Pouliot ($1.350m) / Lars Eller ($1.270m) / Maxim Lapierre ($0.900m)
    Dustin Boyd ($0.650m) / Jeff Halpern ($0.600m) / Mathieu Darche ($0.500m)
    Tom Pyatt ($0.500m) / Ryan White ($0.850m) / Ben Maxwell ($0.850m)

DEFENSEMEN
    Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Roman Hamrlik ($5.500m)
    Jaroslav Spacek ($3.833m) / Hal Gill ($2.250m)
    Josh Gorges ($1.100m) / Ryan O’Byrne ($0.941m)
    P.K. Subban ($0.875m) / Alexandre Picard ($0.600m)
    Yannick Weber ($0.875m) / Alex Henry ($0.512m)

GOALTENDERS
    Carey Price ($2.750m) /Alex Auld ($1.000m)

BUYOUTS: Georges Laraque ($0.500m)
    CARRY-OVER BONUS PENALTY: $68,751

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
    (these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
    SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,134,227; BONUSES: $992,500
    CAP SPACE (27-man roster): -$1,741,727

Has to be a couple of nerve-wracking practices for those guys that are battling tooth & nail for a spot.

125. SLONCOLD says:

looks like a bunch of players competing for the 4th line as i believe the top 3 lines are pretty much set. i hope they keep weber and henry on defense for our 6-7 guys. i would like to see weber a lil bit on the powerplay.

126. Dave Stubbs says:

Jacques Martin seems to suggest that the cuts won’t come in Quebec, so they might be handing out parachutes on the charter to Toronto. Also, no confirmation from the coach on whether he’ll carry 22 or 23 players into opening night.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

127. Mark C says:

I’d bet that Maxwell, White, and Weber get farmed out tomorrow or Thursday before the game (whenever the roster must be submitted to the league). If Hamrlik can go on Thursday then Henry is gone too. I would guess only Picard and Darche stick with the team as healthy scratches, with Picard being sent down when Markov returns.

128. HugeHabsFan says:

We seriously need a “like” button around here.  Sorry, I know it’s very “FB” but really, it could work well!

………..

“Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!”

I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

129. RGM says:

I agree – my thinking is that it’ll be Pyatt-Darche-Boyd with Halpern rotating in and out as the 13th forward. On the blueline, Henry & Picard are filling in temporarily as we await the return of Markov & Hamrlik, but if one of them (and I’m thinking Henry) impresses they could end up staying and forcing O’Byrne out.

130. SLONCOLD says:

white had a good camp. love to see him stay…. still don’t understand the halpern signing since player of his caliber are already found in the organization.

131. Mark C says:

While Halpern as a player may seem redundant, teams need NHL caliber depth. Montreal had 19 forwards play more than 10 games last season. It is a good idea to have at least 4 or 5 NHL-ready, or at least near NHL-ready forward prospects on the farm team.

132. habs fan from stonyplain says:

To bad the one way contracts dictate who stays but the roster will look like this:

pouliot/gomez/gionta

cammy/pleks/ak46

moen/halpern/eller

pyatt/boyd/laps   i put laps here cause him and pyatt have so much chemistry

extra forwards darche and white

spacek/markov

hammer/subban

gorges/gill

extra d obyrne

price

auld

133. quentin_stuckley says:

i can count on one hand the number of right handed shots we have on this team.  plus, i think we might have a weakness in the faceoff category.  pleks, gomez?  mediocre faceoff men.  even with muller coaching them (a good faceoff man in his own right) they lose more than they win.  halpern is a specialist in this area.  this plus experience are his best assets.  i like the choice.

134. RGM says:

False. Gomez was a 50.8% in the faceoffs category, while Plekanec was just a shave under 50% at 49%. While not exactly setting the world on fire, to say that they lose more than they win is statistically untrue in the case of Gomez and only marginally true in the case of Pleks.

135. SLONCOLD says:

funny how experience is his best asset…what happneded to the view of old players taking away time from our young guns developing?

as for his right handed shot… please, how many goals is he going to score because of it? Maybe he’ll help with face offs but he sure as hell isn’t here for his shot.

136. RGM says:

Makes sense in its own way – push them out over Hamilton and all of that. 22 is sensible for cap reasons, but with our injury luck 23 keeps an extra warm body around.

137. TomNickle says:

I’m not 100% sure that Pyatt’s job is safe right now.

He’ll very likely begin the season with the team but if he doesn’t improve or at least produce to the level that he did last season, all it takes is a couple of over achievers in Hamilton to land him on waivers or in the press box.

138. RGM says:

Halpern and/or Darche could be released with relative ease if the Habs truly wanted White on the roster. I don’t see it happening, but it could happen.

139. avatar_58 says:

In who’s spot? Boyd, Eller and Pyatt aren’t going anywhere. Halpern, Lapierre, Moen are too. That leaves Darche in the box when needed, and no room for White or Maxwell.

140. quentin_stuckley says:

it might be bitter for the boys that are cut, but i think they should stay with the big squad during these team building days so that there is familiarity with the others if/when they do get called up.  white might not start on the squad, but i have no doubts that he will play in a habs uni at sometime during this season.  plus, having the taste of being around still on their palettes, they might be that much more motivated to get with the club.  like maxwell or weber.  i think the three most likely to be gone are maxwell, weber, and unfortunately white.  that’s for the 22 man roster.  i personally think/hope JM will keep a 23 man roster with white being kept on the squad.  it can’t cost the habs that much money to dress another warm body.  it’s not like we’re the islanders in terms of pocket space.

141. RGM says:

While the Molsons aren’t hurting for money, it’s more a cap consideration to go with a 22-man roster.

I’d like to see White make it, and I think he will.

142. Storm Man says:

Hmmm is the plane flying over Hamilton first before coming back to Toronto :) sounds like a odd flight plan works better if the team was coming from the west.

143. SeriousFan09 says:

Pyatt with 40 regular-season matchs and 18 playoff games, he has 4G and 5A total. No one’s looking for his offensive production, but JM loves the kid’s speed and two-way game so I doubt he’s on thin ice just yet. He’s a PK player above all else. Darche is the one who has to watch his back more than anything with guys a decade younger and much more talented ready to bump him off the roster.

144. TomNickle says:

I don’t disagree about Darche.  But you have to remember that Martin loves veterans to a fault.  How long did it take Hamrlik to get benched?  Bergeron?

Those two players had to render themselves massive liabilities before Jacques considered sitting them down in favour of younger players.

A young player is never safe with Martin.  I’m not saying it’s a bad thing and I’m not saying it isn’t effective, but it’s the truth.  Pyatt would be put on waivers before Darche would as long as Martin had an input into the matter.

145. TomNickle says:

With Pacioretty, White and Maxwell looming behind Darche and Pyatt, their jobs are never 100% safe.

146. SeriousFan09 says:

Coachs play favourites even with the young guys, everyone’s scared of Subban getting ‘ruined’ by JM but the kid’s had monster ice time in the playoffs and hasn’t exactly been restricted even with the penalties he’s taking in pre-season. Pyatt is easily JM’s favourite among the younger players, he loves a defensive forward and Pyatt’s a solid two-way talent so JM will likely favour him.

147. TomNickle says:

Over Darche?  I disagree.  Darche played with Gomez and Gionta after being with the club for 2 games last season.

It took Pyatt 30 to earn duties for one game with the top line.

I’m sorry Robert but I’ve watched Jacques Martin for a very long time.  People are capable of change but there’s no way in hell he gives Pyatt consideration over Darche if their play is similar.  He’ll take a veteran over a kid with similar skill sets every day of the week.

I love Pyatt’s game and was singing his praises here when everybody else was focused on Halak, Subban and others.  I think he does have a moderately high offensive upside too.  But Martin won’t show the patience with him that he will with Darche.

148. TomNickle says:

Bad coaches play favourites by the way.

Good coaches use past and present information about their players and opponents and delegate playing time or lack of based on that information.

The best players to get the job done play more than the players who don’t.

General Managers play favourites.

149. SeriousFan09 says:

Darche can’t kill penalties though, which gives Pyatt an edge since he would likely prefer Pleks play less than a 1/3 of his TOI on the PK so as long as we need PK specialists, Pyatt’s job is safe I think. Darche can play a little more offensively with more size but he can’t manage the two-way game.

150. SeriousFan09 says:

All coachs play favourites, even Bowman did in his day.

151. Mark C says:

JM doesn’t seem to think Darche can/should be killing penalties, Darche had 4 seconds of PK time last year.

152. TomNickle says:

Pleks isn’t leaving the penalty kill.

You’ve got Pleks, Moen, Gionta(maybe), Halpern, Boyd.

Any particular reason that Darche can’t kill penalties Robert?  It’s a pretty simple concept.

153. TomNickle says:

You’re wrong.

If the premise of your thought is that a player gets icetime based on a coach’s like for a player and a player loses icetime due to a coach’s dislike for a player.

Players get themselves into the good graces of a coach through their play and the way they carry themselves in the room and off the ice.

Players get themselves into the dog house for the same things.

That’s hockey, that’s not playing favourites.

154. SeriousFan09 says:

He isn’t leaving it, but it would be better if he didn’t take every 2nd PK shift like he often did in the later half of the year, just over an 8th of his TOI last season was SH time and the only Top-6 scorer in the top 20 players for SH TOI last season.

Pyatt is a smarter player than Darche with superior speed, it allows him to more actively block lanes and read the plays, Darche just doesn’t have the same toolbox as Pyatt for the PK situations so it allows him to a more effective PK player. Having Pyatt, Halpern, Boyd and hopefully a resurgence of Lapierre to PK situations means you can shift more players in and out of the PK and not run Pleks down over the game killing off every penalty on every 2nd shift.

155. TomNickle says:

My point is that Darche doesn’t need to be a penalty killer to stick ahead of Pyatt.

156. TomNickle says:

But having Pleks, Moen, Lapierre, Gionta, Boyd, Halpern and Gomez means that Pyatt isn’t needed for the penalty kill.

The ability to kill penalties didn’t seem to be too important to Jacques when he put Cammalleri on the ice late in a Buffalo game with a lead to kill one off in his first game back from injury.

157. SeriousFan09 says:

When a coach likes what he sees from a player on the ice or the coach likes what he generally gets from a player on the ice he plays them and when he doesn’t like what he sees or generally doesn’t like what he sees, he benchs them. A coach’s like/dislike for a player is very much rooted in what the coach thinks the player is capable of/delivers or is expected to deliver or not to deliver.

A coach is a person and they are never free of bias, a coach will always have a favourite for various reasons that we don’t know about or do know but a coach is never impartial, they make like that guy for his outlet pass, his two-way play or his speed despite other flaws but to pretend a coach doesn’t like one guy over another for his reasons is a bit silly.

158. SeriousFan09 says:

See who gets time but if a player is in the box for a penalty or two and he’s one of your PK guys or gets injured, you need a contingency and Pyatt is a good one. Pyatt had regular TOI in the post-season, Darche did not though and when it counted the most, Pyatt ended up with more than 2x as much TOI, when it mattered, JM favoured Pyatt.

159. Mark C says:

Right, being good on the PK isn’t enough to secure playing time for Pyatt. If Pyatt’s play suffers anything more than the slightest regression he could lose ice time. Due to Pyatt’s age, improved play at the end of season, and skill level (IMO, he has legit 3rd line scoring/play making abilities, i.e. 15 goals, and 30-35 points), I think the point will be moot, as Pyatt easily outplays Darche.

160. TomNickle says:

But your statement is false.  If a player whom the coach doesn’t like personally gives the team the best chance to win, the coach plays that player.  That defeats the entire argument that coaches play favourites.

Do you think that Jacques Martin likes every player on the team?  Do you think he likes Cammalleri, Gionta, Gomez, Spacek, Markov, Subban, Gill, Gorges, Pleks, Pouliot and Lapierre?

I guarantee you that there’s one or a couple or more in that group that he doesn’t like.

161. TomNickle says:

And now that we’re back to the regular season, Martin will favour Darche.  Just like he did last regular season.

Darche had a couple of bad games in the playoffs and ended up with around 5 minutes/game after that.  And consider at that point that Martin was only using three lines.

Pyatt will be hardpressed to find himself on the third line this season and Martin will trust the veteran to fill in a spot higher up the depth chart than he will Pyatt.

Don’t take my word for it.  Just wait until we have an injury and see for yourself.

As for the penalty killing thing.  I’ll go back to what I said about Cammalleri.  When Martin is short on penalty killers he has no problem just sticking somebody in there who has no business in there.

Last season he had Pleks, Gionta, Moen, Moore, Gomez, Metropolit and Pyatt.  Yet in a game where Moore and Moen had killed off around 6 minutes in penalties in a 15 minute timeframe, he went to Pleks and Cammalleri instead of Pleks and Gionta, Pleks and Metro or Pleks and Pyatt.

Pyatt’s ability to kill penalties is great, but it doesn’t guarantee him a roster spot over Darche.  Martin has proven that.

162. TomNickle says:

Let’s hope so.  Because if their games are on par with each other, you know who the first to go will be, and it won’t be Darche.

163. Max_a_million says:

Nice!

164. krob1000 says:

nah you got it all wrong…Gill is no leader…he is always talking down to his teammates.  Cammalleri should high stick him right in the stomach!

165. Laramy87 says:

I like our depth. Like White and Maxwell both has awesome camps, but who do we not keep?

Lapierre, like him or not, was stellar for us in the playoffs and he looked good in pre-season. Boyd is a great addition as is Halpern. Pyatt is a gem, a great find in that trade for Gomez.

While it sucks for another year for these players, but with contracts expiring next year (Moen, Hamrlik, Halpern) these guys are going to counted on to step up in a big way.

So pumped for Thursday, going to the game. The onyl downer is i will be in a builiding with arrogant leaf fans, and IF (big if) Habs lose these leafs fans are going to react like they won the Stanley Cup

166. habaddict_andy says:

Who would replace Moen.  This guy is a freight train.  You do not want to be in his path when he’s movin’.

With the dept we have I wonder if we could trade some of our young ones including those in the current roster who are not performing enough for a first round pick.

167. Chorske says:

White and Maxwell on a line with the suspended guy. Doesn’t bode well for them starting the season in Toronto.

168. adamkennelly says:

OB has not impressed once again…Henry seems to try to do less and as a result makes less mistakes – plus he is a much better scrapper and OB could be used in a trade situation.

Personally – I would keep White in this line up over Darche and Halpern – but I doubt it happens.

Habs lack toughness and a Henry and White free line-up will prove to be a mistake over time – can’t have 18 year olds running your best player.

169. SLONCOLD says:

what did Niederreiter do? i’m of the opinion he didn’t do anything wrong. I know alot of people here hate PM but he shared the same view and didn’t see anythign wrong with the hit either.

170. TomNickle says:

Other than trying to blindside Cammalleri with an elbow to the head.  Pleks was adamant after the game that he was skating all over the ice giving the same stick work that he got from Cammalleri.

I know this.  To get a jovial person like Cammalleri to react the way he did, you have to push the buttons pretty hard.

171. SLONCOLD says:

well i looked at the clip again:

no head shot although maybe he did try to hit him in the head but missed. i mean it’s shoulder to shoulder.

172. TomNickle says:

Not the point though.  The kid that Perezoghin hit in the face with his stick missed his face first.  The penalties may only deal with the actual offense but the mind of the human focuses on intent.

Niederreiter aimed for his head, if that’s not the case, perhaps he should explain why he locked up his legs and elevated his body to hit a player that is much smaller in height than he is.

Oh, and you don’t see him using his elbow there?

173. SLONCOLD says:

i saw him pushing out with his forearm/elbow but i didn’t see it out and specifically targeted towards his head

174. TomNickle says:

Haha, typical goalie statement(no offense).  But speaking as a guy who used his elbows quite a bit, you don’t need it to be in the air like a female cats rear end in heat to use it.

He’s 6’2, Cammalleri is 5’9, yet he felt the need to elevate his body for a check while coming behind Cammalleri.

First of all, skating in the same direction as a the man you’re checking and hitting him in open ice as opposed to on the boards is a useless play to begin with.  You almost never separate your man from the puck in that situation.  Second, elevating your body in open ice with that kind of check takes the momentum away from your body(hips and chest) and puts it into your arms.

I think if you watch that replay again you’ll see that Nino stiffens his back leg and pushes upward with his inside leg to rise vertically while trying to make the check.  And if you watch it a second time and pay close attention to his elbow, you can see that he tries to direct his elbow into Cammalleri’s head, but misses over his shoulder.

175. SLONCOLD says:

lol goalies do see things in a different way. i see what you’re getting at. i’ll give u this the kid wanted to level cammy but missed. it’s hard for the nhl to suspend when the elobow didn’t hit and the hit went shoulder to shoulder. maybe cammy avoided the hit by being aware and seeing him last minute. if that’s the case i’ll take the one game suspension because i’ll give you this, given a fraction of second difference, that hit could have been very ugly; even though the end result of the hit wasn’t all that bad.

176. habaholic68NJ says:

So with Henry on waivers, only Weber, OB and Picard remain for the final 7th spot (once Markov returns).  Weber provides offensive upside, Picard more overall two-way balance and OB the potential for toughness when required. So who do we keep?  Though his play sucks right now, I say OB brings more of what is lacking.

177. pic1983 says:

I agree.  Weber would be my choice if it was a question of filling in for spacek, PK, etc… But once markov is back, I think we have to go back to OB.  I would love to see OB use that big frame more and play more physical.  If he started throwing his weight around more, I dont think there would be as many negative comments about him on this site.

OB’s problem is that JM hates his guts. I am sure we are going to see a lot of Picard.

179. mrhabby says:

Weber would not be my choice. Stay with OB and hopefully Col.Martin can get over his hate for OB.

180. ShangaDoo says:

For those who watch games on cable (gasp!), may you tell me who is your cable provider?

I’m looking for something thats cheap, and has the basic channels (i just want to be able to watch the games) so i’m going with cable rather than satellite.

if anybody knows any good cable providers, please do tell.

Thanks

181. jennifer1984 says:

i don’t know where you are located but I’m with Shaw (no rogers in the north!)

funny that “basic” cable actually gives you CBC, Sportsnet and TSN….

so its a good deal.

I know with Rogers if I had basic, I wouldnt get tsn.

and with Shaw, if you get digital, RDS is only $2.95 a month which is cheaper than Rogers (even though they’re both owned by the same?)

and there’s something on right now, because our landlord only got basic digital for us (included in our rent) but for 6 months, we get a crazy amount of channels, and we’ll be out of here in 6 months anyway

182. Mad Habber says:

I dont know; I have satellite and centre ice (which I would say is expensive), but if you don’t mind watching in french, find a company that carries RDS and order it, since they cover all the games.

If you can understand french I would say they are probably better then Centre Ice since you don’t have to listen to boston’s homers…

183. squally10 says:

where do you live? most cable and satellite providers have RDS, usually buried within a French bundle. and its a few bucks a month extra.

184. WarHero says:

It depends on where you live.

————————————————————————

185. RGM says:

This was a fun little chuckle – from yesterday’s practice notes:

Josh Gorges was the first player to make an appearance, skating out alone onto the ice where he waited awkwardly for several minutes before being joined by Hal Gill. The two defensemen, now obviously the butt of a prank by their teammates, milled around by themselves for a long while before finally being joined by the rest of the Montreal squad.

186. Mad Habber says:

Does anyone else here think its a little too convenient for Hamrlik? Seriously has this guy ever played any pre-season games in a Habs jersey? Samething as last year, he missed all of the pre-season and then he’s ready right in time for the pre-season..

I don’t really care, just seems fishy…

187. flowerpower_74 says:

Consider this:

1.) Hammer is 35 yrs old and started well enough before without pre-season

2.) He played really well filling in for Markov early last year.

3.) He seemed to taper off/slow down at the end when the season got longer.

Now do you think it is such a bad thing for him to miss the preseason?

Not saying anything negative towards you, just saying he probably lasts longer without the preseason.

Habs will gel as a team.

188. Curtis O Habs says:

I would suggest that the team may have endorsed his late arrival but publicly blamed an injury.

189. Hagar says:

Nothing fishy about it. The Hammer is a warrior that stands at the ready 24/7. If he misses preseason hockey then it must’ve been completely justified. Stop being so paranoid. “It’s my goal to lead the league in 4 minute roughing things” -Scott Gomez

190. deggy24 says:

The only issue with Hammer and Spacek is back to back games. They can’t perform on the second night. Other than that, these guys are both above average players.

191. habinypsi says:

tsn says Sanford is on waivers too.

192. adam76 says:

Never have I been more excited and nervous for the season to start.  One one hand, I tryly believe we have one of the strongest teams in the last five years.  In almost every position, the organization has options and real, substantial depth.

On the other hand – goaltending, (the most important position) is a real question mark.  Our starter has a record of 5 – 14  in 2010 (includes preseason and playoffs).  With absolutely zero goaltending prospects on the horizon, what happens if Price can’t turn his career around?

Answers will start to flow this Thursday in Toronto.

193. pic1983 says:

YOu raise a really excellent question.  So much time has been lost with people trashing price, and people coming to his defense.  What do we do if price gets injured? We actually do have a glaring hole when it comes to goaltending depth….

194. Say Ash says:

Meh, most teams are in the same boat in that respect. Is Auld the worst backup in the league? Doubtful.

195. Habfan29 says:

Whom here thinks that we are going to get creamed on Thursday. I am a huge habs fan but without some grit in the lineup I think that we are going to lose the battles. More of the same with Jackie Martin, does not like gritty players, White and Henry not playing tomorrow, what gives????? It is going to be a long season :(

196. HabsMitch says:

I’m seeing a lot of Hamrlik hate going on…but without Hamrlik last year, the team very well may have missed the playoffs. The man was a beast when Markov went down, and is a great vet to have on the team. Nothing but love for the Hammer

197. adam76 says:

Statically - hes is close.

198. Castor says:

Bumped into George Laraque at a Veggie Restaurant my wife dragged me to in Toronto today.
    He had a big scar of stitches on his face and a black/red eye. He was pretty nice to me. (I told him I was at the game where he scored against Dallas and he said I should have gone to every game afterwards because he’s superstitious)

He was a little over weight.

199. BJ says:

If Price doesn’t cut the mustard this year its Ramo next year. I also sense that the Toronto game will dictate a lot of our season. I’m very concerned about our lack of grit and toughness. Game two vs Pittsburgh (I would imagine they will want it to be payback time) Then Tampa with a lot of French Canadiens including the coaches + Stamkos. Then vs Buffalo (never easy). So its an intense start.

200. mbplekfan says:

Obviously Martin’s preference for veterans means Ryan White goes down to the Bulldogs. I feel that he is ready right now but with no room on the roster he has to play somewhere.

By this time next year we will hopefully have White, Palushaj and Pacioretty ready for the NHL. The problem then is that Martin wont likely want 3 rookies on his roster. Hard to understand the reasoning going on considering that this team is not ready to challenge for the cup and could use this year to develop some of those young players.

201. adamkennelly says:

I totally agree…PG and JM are making a mistake – opponents will take advantage of Habs lack of toughness and it will cost our skilled players – in fact it already has…Cammy gets run by some 18 year punk – any chance that happens to Gaborik with the line up the Rangers play with – answer is NO..its really freakin stupid too – like Darche does more good than Ryan White…plus honestly – this is NHL hockey and I hate being a fan of a team that tries to protect its players with a power play….ask Pleks, Gio, Gomez and Cammy what they would like our 4th line to look like…

202. StevieRay says:

I hope White stays..he has some spunk ..which is what we need..JM & his side kick PG are tiring on me already.

Fan Summit Updates

Cut off dates for HIO deal price at THE NOVATEL HOTEL is tomorrow.

NEWS FLASH

Bob
    Gainey might be joining us this year, I just had an e-mail from his
    daughter Anna, who runs the Gainey Foundation, and she extented the
    invitation to him for me,  I will keep you informed.

204. J Haul says:

He got caught by his partner’s skate blade during a routine for Battle of the Blades, which shoots in Toronto.

205. Bugs says:

You shoulda started something.

That way, we coulda found out if this whole “he won’t fight anymore” business is actually true.

Dammit, Casty, you missed a great opportunity!

Quite self-satisfied, I smirk as

206. Hagar says:

So he got caught by a blade. All I saw was him gently tossing his partner away and then falling down in a heap.”It’s my goal to lead the league in 4 minute roughing things” -Scott Gomez

207. habsfan_61 says:

good comment. finally someone see’s that hamr has value

208. Bill J says:

I’d say his partner won that “battle”

209. larisalapointe says:

Deleted my comment

210. The M says:

canning a coach after one bad game and the team is still 2-2… that’s why the commentariat is not in charge of coaching the Habs….

211. andrewberkshire says:

Anybody wanna whup some Leaf fans asses in a
    yahoo pool? League ID# 73554, password is habssuck. Make him eat his
    words, draft is at 10pm eastern time today.

212. Mr-T says:

The Chameleon Utters Non Sequitur

Strongest Team-The team has not improved beyond minor changes from last year. Who exactly are all these quality players that are available for almost every position and what is that real substantial depth that you so adamantly speak of, although there is no applicable difference between either of those statements.

Of course, it is the usual selective stats that you use. Attempting to change your approach here from the standard non-conventional rhetoric is very transparent. It only displays your lack of proficiency in expressing a qualitative, objective, and innovative thought. It is the systemic ideological path of all your posts. Having no formal education and the lack of a sustainable direction in life, often leads one to the depths of moral and social despair.

Support Carey Price        “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

213. LA Loyalist says:

I deleted my comment, too.

214. LA Loyalist says:

I’ve been making this point for weeks and getting slammed for it. We have all the lunch money on Price.

Even if he’s playing great (IF!) one rut in the ice or someone falling awkwardly on his leg in a scrum and we’re talking plan B.

And if we have to trade, it will be from weakness, and we don’t have the depth to give up someone good, which is what it would take.

That comes down to bad management.

215. LA Loyalist says:

is that the standard? “Our back up is not the worst” ?

This is, allegedly, The Montreal Canadiens. Shouldn’t the bar be a little higher than that?

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

216. LA Loyalist says:

That is hysterical. We should fly the real estate expert up to Montreal to show Gomez where the opposing team’s net is.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

217. zozotheclown says:

Would have liked to see White on Darche’s spot, I like the idea of having a sparkplug like him against the Leafs. Oh well, not a major deal, still can’t wait for thursday, 2 more sleeps!

218. oshawahabsfan says:

I must say I like the sounds of Pyatt-Boyd-Lapierre. Speed, pestering, a little offence all rolled into one

219. HabFanSince72 says:

Very little offence.

220. Max_a_million says:

offence?

Not a bad 4th line.

221. TomNickle says:

He absolutely deserved a one game suspension.  What he did was very necessary also.  Players will think twice before taking liberties with him.

On another note, Boogard and Niederreiter have escaped suspension for their actions, surprise surprise.

222. Max_a_million says:

I am sorry, but I think Cammy definitely deserved a game one suspension.  I also think it was well worth it for him to set the precendent.  All this talk of being class-less, or no room for this in hockey.  This is a contact sport ladies and gentlemen.  Maybe just maybe if an opponent has to think twice about Cammy slaping a stick in your chops or on the back of you knee, then less liberties are taken.  Doesn’t seem like a big deal either way around.

Sometimes getting penalized is not a bad thing at all.  Sometimes it serves a purpose.

I don’t mind having Eller play a game in the top 6 either.

223. pic1983 says:

Totally agree.  When 18 year rookies are coming in trying to blindside veterans in PRE-SEASON games, a message needs to be sent.  Good on Cammy for sticking up for himself, and the one game suspension is well worth it.

For a slash that resulted in only a “bruised” calf, niederreiter went down like he got shot.

224. Bugs says:

So Pronger saw what this 18-yr-old rookie tried to do to Cammy and now says to himself: “Whoa, hey, Cammy’s nuts; I’m not messin with him. He scares me.” ?

I dunno, Maxie…

Quite self-satisfied, I smirk as

225. habaholic68NJ says:

I think you are right on both fronts and JM is wrong.  He should define OB’s obvious role and give him a chance to prove his consistency, once and for all.

226. Lazarus_taxa says:

I didn’t see JM post… what did it say?

227. SoupStrainerMcPhee says:

He always stood out to me as a young’un.  The work ethic and Stache made a big impression on me in my formative years.

228. SoupStrainerMcPhee says:

How did you spend your off-season banishment, Timo?

Nice to have you back, booyakasha.

229. ShangaDoo says:

I’m in Montreal. I don’t think Shaw provides to Quebec but I’ll check it out now

230. ShangaDoo says:

nope!,my father is not a big habs fan like i am (he’s bandwagon) so he does not see the need to get off the pc when I want to watch a game. Plus he hogs the pc.

That’s why I want cable, I have a tv in my room and I dont have to share

but thank you

231. ShangaDoo says:

I live in Montreal.

I just don’t know which is best so I’m asking aroung seeing what others have to say.

232. Chorske says:

We just switched to videotron, you can get a basic package with both RDS and TSN. I resisted switching to them because of my general dislike of PKP but I have to admit Videotron has been great– and a huge improvement over Bell.

233. G-Man says:

Videotron Telemax

234. pic1983 says:

Well it was a good choice for leblanc because his hometown junior team acquired him, and hes able to live close to home, and study at mcgill.  If the circumstances were different, Im not so sure he would have left harvard.  Its definitely encouraging to see him performing in the Q, but he did have an excellent season, by NCAA standards, for harvard last year.

I just hope he makes the world junior team, and is an impact player for them.

235. Bryan says:

Wow, not to overhype the guy, but Leblanc has 10 points in only 4 games in the Q.  Choosing Junior was definitely the right choice for him.

_______________________________

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

236. TomNickle says:

Should be in Hamilton right now.  He’s too good for junior.  I hope he doesn’t get bored.

237. SeriousFan09 says:

Those are solid numbers, but Q scoring is pretty high, he needs to maintain a pretty heavy pace all season at his age and his competition for that to really rank. I’m liking Brendan Gallagher’s numbers out of the WHL, 11 points in 6 games including 5 goals and he’s got points in all 6 games so far.

238. Bugs says:

(sigh)

Not only did the kid NOT blind-side (cuz Cammy saw it comin, ergo, not blind-side), but didn’t look like he was INTENDING to blind-side either.

He was intending to check. Ok? C’mon, enough.

A super-talented 18-yr-old from SWITZERLAND (hello? Switzerland!) who ALREADY made his mark in the game by showcasing that talent now wanted to INTENTIONALLY HURT somebody? Gimme a break. He tried to check’m, plain and simple.

…cammy stickin up for himself…

Against an 18-yr-old Swiss who was skatin away from him in fear. Yeah, way to “stick up for yourself”. I mean, it’s not like you could drop the gloves if you wanted to stick up for youself, right? C’mon!

Quite self-satisfied, I smirk as

239. Max_a_million says:

It’s not a perfect system by any means, of course Pronger is still going to nail him.

Still players know, and think a bit.

240. Da Hema says:

:-)

————————

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

241. LA Loyalist says:

I agree, it’s not like the old days where the veterans drank all summer.

I was at my kid’s hockey camp in early August and there were 12-14 NHL vets there every day at lunch working out like maniacs in the toronto humidity.

Training camp now is to look at the newbies, mostly. and get a few extra gates for the house.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

242. rocketsglare says:

Regarding Cammalleri, there is nothing more to say. He has been suspended and is prepared to

move on. His focus is no longer on the incident but on the start of the season.

Certain things are truly what they are and should remain so. So like Cammalleri, let’s also move

on and preapare for the Leafs.

243. mchab33 says:

How come no media frenzy over Cammy not addressing the media for a couple of days?  No Red Fisher article talking about how he has an obligation to talk to the media?

244. TomNickle says:

Because he isn’t hated by two thirds of the fan base like our goaltender is.

245. lefreak says:

Because what you say in the media when there is a suspension pending can and will be used in the decision making process towards the amount of games said suspension will be. Silence is the best remedy in this case, it is not quite the same in regards to Price. Price “owning up” for his own actions would have quieted down things instead of adding fuel on the fire of reporters looking for any story possible to move units.

246. SeriousFan09 says:

So if Hamrlik is good to go on Thursday, what are your D pairings?

Does JM restore Hamrlik-Subban and then go with Spacek-Picard/OB and Gill-Gorges, or Spacek-Subban, Hamrlik-Picard/OB and Gill-Gorges? I have a feeling JM will stick with Spacek-Subban for at least game 1.

247. TomNickle says:

He has to play Subban with Hamrlik.  Somebody has to hid his ineptitude and Subban and Gorges are the only two players capable of doing it.

248. avatar_58 says:

Ugg….without Markov our D pairings have issues

249. mchab33 says:

2/3 of the fan base?  I guess I missed my opprotunity to vote.  Or was it a discussion between you and two buddies and only one guy liked Price?