“It is what it is,” Cammalleri says of ban

AUDIO: Mike Cammalleri | Jacques Martin | Brian Gionta | Tomas Plekanec | Lars Eller

Speaking for the first time since Saturday’s incident that led to his suspension, Mike Cammalleri was reluctant to discuss particulars.

“My opinion,” he said today after a training camp session in Clermont, “is an arbitrary one, like anyone else’s. The only opinion that has any credence is that of the league … The less we talk about this, the better.”

Cammalleri admitted he was disappointed to not begin the season in his hometown.

The captain’s take:

“The league is doing what it has to do,” said Brian Gionta, who also observed “c’est tres beau ici” in the Charlevoix region.

On  a lighter note, reflecting on team bonding at the retreat Cammalleri said:

“Hal Gill talks a lot. We all need some earplugs by now.”

•  •  •

Alex Henry is on waivers. This move suggests Roman Hamrlik, without benefit of a training camp, will be ready for the opener in Toronto.

It seems unlikely that Habs will make final cuts tomorrow in Quebec City, so a full plane will fly to Toronto mid-afternoon Wednesday, a few then detouring to Hamilton. Jacques Martin wasn’t saying yesterday whether he’ll carry a 22- or 23-man roster into opening night.

Practice lines were largely unchanged today from yesterday, with a few notable exceptions that feature Lars Eller moving into the spot of the suspended Michael Cammalleri. Here’s the look today:

Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta; Eller-Plekanec-Kostitsyn; Lapierre-Halpern-Darche; Pyatt-Boyd-Moen; Cammalleri-Maxwell-White.

Defence pairings: Spacek-Subban; Gorges-Gill; Picard-O’Byrne; Henry-Weber; Markov-Hamrlik.

• Marc Antoine Godin’s training camp report card

1. Mattyleg says:

I love the expression “it is what it is.”

It means absolutely nothing; it’s an air-filler. It’s like saying “well…”

It also means “it signifies whatever you want it to signify.”

Which means “I have no opinion on the matter” or “I’m not smart enough to analyse this.”

—Hope Springs Eternal—

2. RGM says:

It’s Czech Republican these days. Czechoslovakia hasn’t existed since 1/1/93.

3. SLONCOLD says:

no no… turn overs for everyone lol

4. StevieRay says:

I jsut watched some You Tube videos of Alex Henry scraps… he’s mighty not be a legit heavy weight but I think he should be our # 6 defenseman. he is big and isn’t afraid to drop them and handles himself quite well.

I don’t understand why JM does not get a ” tough Guy ” … who can play a bit . Guess it’s not his style ..

5. Storm Man says:

I think if AK46 or Benny underperform a one-way ticket will be waiting for them. I like the look of the young kids we have now.

6. DYCSoccer17 says:

This move makes zero sense.  Henry has outplayed O’Byrne by leaps and bounds.  Henry is a more dynamic player with more NHL experience than O’Byrne.  Additionally, keeping Henry and cutting Purse Snatcher would save us about $450,000 in cap space.

7. WarHero says:

I’d sign a contract with them :)

————————————————————————

8. Mark C says:

He was on waivers, it has nothing to do with what the players wants. If Montreal wanted him and won the award, Grabner would have likely had to be kept on the 23 man roster, meaning Darche gets waived.

9. avatar_58 says:

Completely tasteless. How would you feel if they posted your pic in the newspaper like this, simply because you aren’t crosby part 2?

Keep it up toronto. We’ll gladly take him off your hands.

10. doogmac says:

when you are of a certain age, you have clear waivers no matter what type of contract you have

11. Storm Man says:

Is that the NHL pre-season allstar team? 😉 Looks like a great list to be on. Team hot seat.

12. TomNickle says:

You’ll be wasted by the first tv timeout.

How about if he has a giveaway that leads to an opposition goal you have to drink the whole bottle.

THAT COULD GET UGLY.

13. TomNickle says:

I know, I’d just prefer not to type Czechoslovakian Mafia.  I think I got it right though.

14. Storm Man says:

Guess you won’t be going to work on Friday.

15. avatar_58 says:

And in the meantime? Maybe he didn’t want an AHL contract?

16. Exit716 says:

That’s three spots higher than the Habs finished last year.

He is Czech… but close enough.

18. Storm Man says:

Thanks for the video Ian. Be intresting if someone on the Habs gives it a shot. Rule 24.2 in the NHL rule book would permitted as a goal.

19. TomNickle says:

Please Timo don’t get me started on Hamrlik.

I’d love to know what dirt the Russian Mafia dug up on Martin and Gauthier for him to still be on this roster.

Well, if you stack Gio and Gomez up you get to about 6’4″… close enough.

21. Mark C says:

I was just wondering if they did. Kid has a lot of skill, if AK46 or Benny get hurt or underperform, he might have been able to fit in on the top-six.

Hammer without a single pre-season game under is belt… I will playing a drinking game with the number of turnovers he commits on thursday.

23. CP31 says:

RHETORICAL QUESTION OF THE DAY: Anyone surprised to see CP on this list?!?!?

FROM SAKU TO GIO, SAME STATURE AND JUST AS MUCH HEART!! GREAT DECISION!!

24. TomNickle says:

It has nothing to do with toughness.  Henry’s been better.  In all areas of the game where they’ve seen opportunities, Henry’s been better.  Less mistakes.  That’s all you want from a defenseman, especially a 6 or 7 guy.  Fewest mistakes possible.  That’s what Henry does.

O’Byrne and Picard did very little other than screw up.  They must have been pretty damn good in camp.

25. CERF says:

oh man.. thats some artical! talk about embarrassing!

26. BJ says:

Another brain dead decision by management. We have what exactly toughness wise? Its still an important part of the game. Was not Henry penned as captain in Hamilton? We could have used him vs the Leafs.

27. Storm Man says:

Why would you want Montreal to put a claim on him?

28. TomNickle says:

Alex Henry on waivers while O’Byrne and Picard stick.

There’s something wrong with this picture.

29. Bugs says:

Yeah, but we did that with Halak, Dubby.

They’re talkin about the Priceberg.

Hello? They got a leg to stand on.

Quite self-satisfied, I smirk as

30. Mark C says:

Well, Grabner didn’t make it too far, the NYI claimed him today. I wonder if Montreal put in a claim, oh well.

31. Bugs says:

This one’s beautiful.

But not freaky.

You need to photoshop a purple alien in a disco suit dancin on the scoreboard or somethin.

Quite self-satisfied, I smirk as

32. Storm Man says:

I find it a very disgusting scum of the earth thing to do. Knock on wood it has never happened to me in person( God help that person if it did) Even playing football in the states saw it happen a few times. I get possessed just thinking about it.

33. Malreg says:

Two-way contracts does not mean you don’t have to go through waivers.  Two-way just means that the player has a different salary if he plays in the AHL.  For example, $600k NHL salary, $120k AHL salary, would be a two-way contract.  One-way means you have to pay him the $600k even if he plays in the AHL.

34. CP31 says:

Here it is……………..EMBARRASSING!!! Anything to sell a newspaper eh, Toronto?!?!?!

FROM SAKU TO GIO, SAME STATURE AND JUST AS MUCH HEART!! GREAT DECISION!!

35. Corio says:

Henry on waivers..

36. SeriousFan09 says:

Hamrlik must be considered ready for the opener.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

37. Bash says:

Didn’t he have a two way contract?

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

38. Max_a_million says:

I told you once Red Fisher sees it on the youtube he would axe the Maple Leaf colours.

Sorry dude, it did make you memorable at least.

39. Bash says:

Smooth as silk..two fakes and a quick wrister upstairs…

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

40. flanman says:

Alex Henry was placed on waivers per renaud lavoie’s twitter account.

41. pic1983 says:

Are those bodogs lines? cause if they are, im going to go drop some dough on pleks right now.

61.5 over/under? what a joke….cant get any respect this guy.

I have him pencilled in for at least 75

42. lefreak says:

goebbel did not approve!!!!!!!:P

my bad if it was a tad offensive…you live, you learn.

sorry.

43. CP31 says:

So I’m listening to AM590 (I know, I know………PRO-LEAF station, ha ha!) at work and apparently the glorious Toronto Sun newspaper put a picture of Nazem Kadri sucking on a soother today. Any truth to the rumor? Has anyone seen this? I couldn’t find it on the internet.

If true, I’ve been getting a lot of flack lately from “on the wagon/off the wagon” Leaf fans about how we treat our players ie/booing Price. WHAT HYPOCRISY!! Don’t get me wrong we have some of the most fickle and ignorant fans but I truly believe Toronto has the same amount of idiots!!

I’m sure Kadri is proud to be a Leaf fan today!

FROM SAKU TO GIO, SAME STATURE AND JUST AS MUCH HEART!! GREAT DECISION!!

44. Storm Man says:

He is not the only one who did the book that is why I picked it up :).

45. TorontoHabsFan says:

Looking at those forward combinations, I think I can guess which players aren’t making the cut :)

46. lefreak says:

as i find the SS uniform appalling…it is why i think the combo is a match made in heaven. Plus, it will endear me to the bleu blanc rouge coloured glasses wearing clique around here when i am honest about what i saw instead of planning the parade.:P

I’m just really hyper for the season to start and having a little fun…i do stuff like this to rile up friends who are leafs fans on another site for fun. We have a bet going, when the habs play the leafs…the losers have to sport the colours for the other team…to be a bit of a tit, i decided to make it mine. I have sneaking suspicion that we might drop the opener, so i might as well get used to it:P

schnell habs schnell!

47. Bugs says:

Oh, jeez, I didn’t see that at all. I thought it was like a freaky ghost’s head.

But if it was what you say it was, I retract my earlier statement.

Apologies.

Quite self-satisfied, I smirk as

48. SeriousFan09 says:

History channel, Hitler, antique shows or movies that have less connection with actual history than The Da Vinci Code.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

49. Bugs says:

Don’t think you could get away with it in the NHL.

First, there’s the “covering the puck” issue.

And secondly, by “covering the puck” that way, FERSURE it “goes backwards” before you shoot.

It looked illegal to me.

Quite self-satisfied, I smirk as

Fan Summit Updates

Cut off dates for HIO deal price at THE NOVATEL HOTEL is tomorrow.

Make the call ASAP so not to miss out.   The hotel  number for Novotel reservations is: 1-514-871-2138

51. Max_a_million says:

Did you notice that there is a Maple Leaf jersey in the pic?  We can’t even see the head, it just looks like an old goalie style mask.  It’s the sweater that we find appalling!

52. lefreak says:

it isn’t meant to be thought provoking, or anti semite…i just found the picture of hitler’s head superimposed on top of kaberle’s amusing.

hitler is on the history channel 24 hours a day…in 2010 he is a character in history, nothing more and nothing less.

53. StevieRay says:

I was wondering that except ..Boyd,Halpern and Eller are listed .

54. pic1983 says:

“Perhaps Red Fisher who reports on things he doesn’t take the time to watch”

hahahahah well played

55. Bugs says:

What’s wrong with it?

It looks like a Le Freak to me.

Quite self-satisfied, I smirk as

56. TomNickle says:

If he weren’t such a pompous ass I would give it a look.

Tony Dungy is a great read about life, coaching, football and leadership.

57. Max_a_million says:

How in the world is that Avatar fine?  How did it pass a decency standard?

Who is checking these things?!?  Perhaps Red Fisher who reports on things he doesn’t take the time to watch.

58. Storm Man says:

If anyone is looking for a good football book to read. The games that changed the game. It is written by Ron Jaworski aka Jaws.

59. WarHero says:

It makes my eariler predictions look pretty good :)

http://my.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?user_id=75112&post_id=10164 – Centers

http://my.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?user_id=75112&post_id=10216 – Wingers

http://my.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?user_id=75112&post_id=10255 – Defensemen

————————————————————————

60. lefreak says:

its fine now, thank you.:)

61. TomNickle says:

Saw your spitting spiel yesterday Tim.  Completely agree with you.  And there’s nothing one person can do to another to set them off more than spitting on them.

I got spit on once and don’t remember what I did to the guy, just remember how he looked afterward, a friend told me that I looked possessed.

62. SeriousFan09 says:

How was Avtsin’s SO goal?

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

63. SeriousFan09 says:

It takes time for the new avatars to update, I’m pretty sure the site managers double-check all avatars to make sure it passes their decency standards before they’re updated.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

64. lefreak says:

ps…any reason that i can’t upload the new avatar? the requirements of the picture all meet what is allowed, it just won’t update.

65. lefreak says:

will the season start already? i’m all for tantric activities, but let’s get to the payoff!!!

66. Storm Man says:

I think the last update was late summer.

67. Bash says:

I saw it live Ian…we didn’t know whether to laugh or cry! The crowd went nuts!

BTW…several of our prospects looked very good.And by that I mean they have the tools to make a difference down the road. Avtsin and Enqvist played on a line with Conboy. They have a nice combination of size and creativity…Conboy not so much. It will interesting to see how they develop.

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

Alright you people, here is a goal for us to try in the next shoot out.

Minor-leaguer’s one-of-a-kind hockey goal

69. TomNickle says:

Any chance that’s last season’s roster considering NHL.com runs the website guys?

70. SeriousFan09 says:

Tommy Jagr still can’t get any respect, Puck Daddy has an over-under of 61.5 points while scrambled-brain Savard, Derek Roy, John Tavares, Nik Antropov are all getting higher over-unders. To see some head-scratching predictions, click here.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

71. von says:

Picard isn’t listed either.

_________________________________

“Obviously it would be great, but they don’t really hang conference titles in this rink. They raise Stanley Cup banners.” – Carey Price

72. shiram says:

Saw that yesterday, pretty interesting. Let’s see if it catches on.

73. StevieRay says:

Just looked on the Canadiens website to see what was listed for a roster … 22 players … Ryan White not included Ben Maxwell is . Not sure though how valid the list is.

74. TomNickle says:

To me he looks like he’s in better shape than ever and personally I think he’s on a mission to take his game to the next level.

I would be surprised if he scored less than 80 points this season.