Islanders visit Bell Centre

Subban
As was the case last week when the Columbus Blue Jackets popped in, the Canadiens will be playing a team that is below them in the standings.
Be afraid.

Pat Hickey on P.K. Subban and on Theoren Fleury

Chris Campoli awaits a start

Red Fisher on Sidney Crosby

Dave Stubbs on Jaro Spacek

Roy MacGregor on Crosby

1. keepthefaith says:

Somehow I dont think Campoli is in position to demand a trade. Nobody wanted him at the start of the year and just coming off injury. Emelin should be playing. Weber on the wing is just pointless

2. sampson12 says:

Having too much depth at D is far from the worst problem the habs could have, as long as it doesn’t impede development.

The reality is, it’s not likely for everyone to be healthy at one time and even if it does happen, it likely wouldn’t last long.

Having 8 or 9 proven NHL blueliners is great, it just makes for difficult decisions when everyone is healthy.

It makes sense to generally go for experience, as long as the young guys get their turn and aren’t sitting in the pressbox for extended periods of time.

3. Bob_Sacamano says:

A 7-6 win would be nice with Gill and Campoli both a -3. Having them both in the lineup instead of Emelin is a joke. Once again we´ll see the softest D in this league tonight. Thanks JM.

4. TomNickle says:

Renaud Lavoie tweeting that Weber won’t be played on the Powerplay.

So what in the heck is he doing in the lineup?

5. punkster says:

Showcasing?

A .500 team trying to establish itself, pick up points and get on a winning streak doesn’t “showcase” players for trades. And if other teams and scouts don’t know enough about Campoli, a 400 NHL game vet, then they’re not doing their jobs.

Showcasing this ain’t.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• HabFanSince72 says:

Of course.

I think this is more: let’s see what he can do. I have higher hopes than most for Campoli. I think he might turn out to be a good one.

I can only hope however Punkster that this is not an indictment on Emelin’s play but rather the pairing issues which many earlier alluded to.

If indeed this is JM saying he is not fond of Emelin’s game, I am beyond frustrated. Is it any wonder Blunden was not used properly by JM.

Perhaps this is also why we don’t see MaxPac finish hits as much as I may want to. JM absolutely seems to have an affinity for the players of the softer variety.

6. Ali says:

Thanks for taking one for the team Alexei and playing the opposite side that you’re used to. Also, you’re not playing today.

Can we get a petition that Martin can only write down notes with his left hand tonight, and when he screws that up we fire him?

• habs03 says:

Expect Emelin can play RD and has played RD before coming to the NHL, even though he is a lefty, just like Campoli and Gorges, only thing is he hasn’t been as good as playing LD so far in the NHL because of positioning issues.

7. bleedhabs81 says:

Boo.

I like the idea of showcasing Campoli… although, with our luck and the giant shroud of mystery around Mr. Markov, maybe we still need a stockpile of D

However, why sit Emelin? I thought he was playing pretty good… plus he hits people. I like watching people get hit. It is a foreign concept to me. The last time I saw a Bleu, Blanc, et Rouge player hitting someone regularly was…. late 80′s early 90′s????

8. Everlasting1 says:

If I was a healthy scratched vet Campoli in favor of rookies, I’d get my agent on the phone to get me out of this mickey mouse outfit/operation. Another expendable asset on D a la Mara, Sopel, Wis..what a joke.

——————————————————————-
    “For I will go through the land of Egypt on that night, and will smite all the first-born in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the Gods of Egypt I will execute judgments: I am the LORD.” Exodus 12:12

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• TOP DAWG says:

If you had brains you would be dangerous!

“If you’re not the TOP DAWG, the view never changes”

• Everlasting1 says:

Is that the best you can do?

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Yes Mr. Walsh would enjoy tweeting some words of wisdom I am sure. I now understand your loyalty to all players represented by Mr. Walsh.

• Everlasting1 says:

I expected better..
        I know where your loyalty lies.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

9. boonie says:

I loved Lombardi’s quote yesterday,

“When you have expectations, it’s driven more towards results,” Lombardi said. “It’s harder at times to look for those victories within losses, and it’s just the state of the franchise right now. You can look for more of those things three years ago, but we’re trying to push to that next level, and it isn’t easy. It’s a lot easier playing with the house’s money. We’re at the stage where you’re going to be judged on wins and losses and playoff success.”

We’re more than three years into rebuilding, we spend to the cap, we’re fans through thick and thin…

What are our expectations?

• HabinNorth says:

I love on this site how hitting is the be all and end all. Emelin is progressing greatly since the beginning of the season just had Diaz has. These two guys have played way above expectation and should be complimented. In the last two games, the rookie Emelin move in from the point on a power play with a 3 nothing lead and it directly led to a shorthanded goal. You can blame others but at the stage of the game, there was no need for his move. At that point in the game, an extra goal was not as important as keeping the Canucks off the board.

In the last game Emelin was on for the first Jersey goal. Soime are going to say it was because he was playing the wrong side.

Talk of benching Subban for a game or two because Emelin hits shows a total lack of understanding what is taking place on the ice. Subban is on the ice against the other teams top line and is performing well in a defensive role. As he gains more experience, his offensive upside should be realized.

Emelin is a future full time defenseman on this team. I believe that Campoli is now and asset and could be used to secure either a forward or a pick before the trade deadline, or a place if any of the other D men are injured before then.

It seems that there is very little patience from many who are making decisions on a game to game basis.

10. J_P says:

Martin loves soft players. Emelin sitting for campoli? Is he effing nuts?! Emelin gets better every single game, and is our ONLY defensemen who makes the opposition think twice when they cross the blueline, yet he is the one who’s sitting?

Anyways, I guess this really shouldnt be a surprise.

• shiram says:

Price needs to be run-in a few more times, it builds character.

Maybe Markov sometime?

• J_P says:

and all i wanted from the goat was to not patch and band-aid at the expense of ice time for the young guys….yet low and behold, what does he do? Patch and band-aid! Fine, he didnt trade draft picks or prospects for kaberle, but adding salary for two more years and taking away minutes from our young defensive players is still pretty bad. If he knew campoli was coming back from injury so soon, why not just wait to see how he works out before acquiring kaberle? I think its clearly evident that PG’s mandate from Molson is to make the playoffs no matter what.

• Everlasting1 says:

You think anyone else outside of Mtl knows who Emelin is? And who care?

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• shiram says:

He was definately starting to get noticed.
        HF board and the r/hockey all seem to like his play.

Maybe Markov sometime?

• J_P says:

I dunno, why don’t you ask Pavelski if he knows who Emelin is? lol

If coaches actually strategize for their opponent, Im sure whoever does the scouting report noticed that emelin was top-20 in hits, and 4th amongst d-men (if those numbers are still accurate).

• Everlasting1 says:

I’m sure he’s striking fear into the hearts of men..

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

11. JoeC says:

A very soft team just scratched the ONLY player on this team that adds grit to it,,

Wow, JM does not reward a player that hits, look at AK also.

• JoeC says:

Weber/Diaz/Campoli all the same mold

1 should ONLY ever play a game at a time.

JM ha a man crush on Diaz , a rookie thats done many mistakes, almost blows the last game, still gets so much icetime and priority over others. Emelin woud be playing if he wasnt russian.

12. chemic says:

haha this site is like a tank full of piranhas after JM puts a tiny little drop of blood into the water and all hell breaks lose!

13. G-Man says:

Is Campoli being showcased?
    I haven’t seen much of him because the moment he was acquired he kept getting dinged. Then, that Malone shot (thanks, Shamahan) and 2 months spent recovering.
    Diaz and Weber should sit before Emelin does.
    Hate a Dman on the 4th line wasting that line’s time on ice.

14. Mats26 says:

Trade Gill! George, PK, Emelin, can handle the brunt of the penalty killing. Emelin makes teams think twice as they hit the line.

Gill is way too one dimensional.

Emelin brings an element to this team not seen since …

I don’t know. Who was the last great open ice hitter on the Habs blueline? PK got in a couple of good licks last year (Marchand).

Souray? Ulanov? Robinson? Lapointe?

• Mattyleg says:

No way, man.
      Gill is the most consistent d-man we have on the team. Never injured, always reliable, shortcomings well known and accounted-for.

I love Emelin, but getting rid of Gill for Emmy is like a family trading their minivan for a Mustang. Lots of fun, but not what’s needed overall.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• RGM says:

Skillsy may only have one dimension, but it yields incredibly positive results for the team. When you’re that big that all you have to do is lie down on the ice and the other team can’t score a goal, you’re an asset.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!

15. krob1000 says:

“KAmpoli” or “CAberle” …hmmm not as cool as “Kaboom”

16. Mattyleg says:

Mornin’ all.
    Opened up the ol’ ‘puter, popped in to HI/O, and seem to have stepped right into a wasp’s nest!

Yipes!

Scratching Emelin in favour of Diaz?! Hmm. I find that a bit strange. Emelin has been out of position a few times, that’s true, but he’s also been scaring the opposition. Cutting off the nose to spite the face, it seems.

As for those of you hoping we lose to ‘prove’ JM wrong… sigh…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

17. patience is a virtue says:

LOL. I was on the Habsworld forum when the news came that Campoli is in and Emelin is out. One guy says – “Cue the freakout.” He was referring to HIO, of course.

How to make sense of this?

1) Gill and Kabs are, apparently, left-side only dmen.
    2) Diaz, a righty, is doing OK with Gill on the 3rd pairing.
    3) JM tried Emelin with Kabs last game and he looked awkward on the right side, to say the least.
    4) JM, rightly so, does not want to break up his top d-pairing of Gorges-Subban so that Gorges can shift to the right to play with Kabs or Emelin. As discussed earlier, Gorges-PK are playing top minutes against opposing team’s best forwards and not only shutting them down by and large, but also helping to create more offense than any other d pairing, by a loooong shot (3+ ONGF/60min for each of them vs. less than 2 ONGF/60min for all other dmen on the team) = keep them together, stupid.
    5) The Habs MUST win tonight, to build momentum gained by trading for Kabs, and to set up a potential turn around December.

The stakes are high. What is JM to do? Play a rookie who just demonstrated that he is not ready to play on the right side, or a veteran who probably has lots of experience doing so over his years in the NHL?

I think JM has made the right choice for tonight. We will see Emelin again soon when the stakes are a little lower. He does need to learn to play on the right before Markov comes back, afterall :)

I have no doubt he can be a big hitting top four NHL dman with some offensive upside to boot. Just not tonight.

• TomNickle says:

Your second point is the one that is drawing the most ire, or should in my opinion.

“Diaz is doing OK”

Great, but Emelin is excelling both with his physical play, quick passing and sound judgement.

Excelling or doing ok?

I know which one I”d take.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Diaz almost cost us the game with his last pen.

• patience is a virtue says:

fair.

but the issue in not who brings more Diaz or Emelin – I agree that Emelin does, clearly.

the issue is how to construct successful d-pairings that will create the best chances of winning tonight.

it’s a big game, for reasons i mentioned, plus JM’s ass is increasingly on the line as well.

i agree with his choice anyway (ass hanging out or not).

profiling campoli for an eventual trade may be another factor at play, as others have emphasized.

• avatar_58 says:

Oh is THAT the issue? Then why is Campoli dressing?

• TomNickle says:

I’m not sure how you showcase a player for trade with a .500 record and look your players in the eye. In addition, Campoli went close to two months un-signed after the Hawks walked away from his arbitration award.

Not the most sound logic

• avatar_58 says:

I thought this guy was all “don’t mess with a winning lineup” anyway? Didn’t they win their last game? Funny I don’t remember Campoli being in that game

• patience is a virtue says:

ya, i don’t think it’s a prime factor either – that’s why i didn’t mention it in my original post.

PG does eventually need to move a dman, when/if Markov comes back healthy, but this decision is much more immediate i feel – the Habs are desperate to win, to get some positive mo going.

Emelin on the right side, or breaking up the top pairing, just aren’t gonna help with that at this moment. He tried if for a game and Emelin was just shy of a defensive disaster, which also rendered his hitting game useless.

I think JM is on the ball with this move.

• TomNickle says:

Benching Emelin is a braindead move. He’s been our BEST defenseman for over a week.

In my opinion.

• patience is a virtue says:

well, PK and Gorges are by far our best defensemen and playing much more difficult roles than Emelin.

But I take your point. I love Emelin and his physical game.

I just don’t think it is effective on the right side yet. So I agree with JM on this one.

• 24 Cups says:

Campoli shoots left, not sure how much he has played the right side. A Campoli/Kaberle pairing is going to be a defensive liability.

Gorges can play the right side but that would mean some other player would have to take on top pairing minutes with Subban. Gill and Emelin can’t take on that role.

Weber isn’t good enough to be a starter on defense but is dressed to play on the 4th line just in case we need him on the PP. Which is a bit of a double whammy. Weber basically negates the 4th line because he doesn’t fit the profile and he also negates his PP usefulness due to the fact we traded for Kaberle.

Lots of square pegs and round holes when it comes to our secondary support players.

• habs03 says:

No Campoli has played RD, he can play both. So can Emelin but his positioning isn’t there yet on RD, but it will be in time.

• habsnation says:

I get leaving Campoli at LD for his first game back until he finds his groove. Could he potentially move to RD to make room for Emelin and leaving Diaz out once he has a game or two under his belt.
          Line up something like:
          Georges – Subban
          Emelin – Campoli
          Gill – Kaberle

I think long term these will be our D pairings with Emelin moving to RD and playing with Markov. I would much rather him play LD where he is more comfortable until he is playing with Markov who will be able to help him out as he adjusts to playing the other side of the ice

• patience is a virtue says:

left pegs and right holes, as it were.

true dat. i think jm is desperate and just trying to maximize chances of winning tonight’s game.

campoli can play on the right (did so in ottawa) and he is not necessarily a defensive liability. not sure if he can compensate for Kab’s defensive weaknesses, but emelin surely can’t. not on the right, not yet.

• 24 Cups says:

Good points.

Martin should play the hell out of Subban/Gorges with Subban moving to the PP and Gorges teaming with Gill on the PK. Kaberle gets PP minutes but limited 5 on 5 with Campoli. Diaz/Gill take the middle ground as time permits.

• patience is a virtue says:

i expect that is how it will start.

the big question is, can Campoli get in the groove right off the hop? he has had extra recovery/practice time. he was cleared to play as of friday, was he not?

if he causes a goal, or even a nasty turnover, early on, the wolves will be howling, that’s for sure!

• nunacanadien says:

Trying to win by benching Emelin is like forgetting to wear your helmet in a Superbowl game….

18. kirkiswork says:

What???? No more BOOM.

19. youngwun says:

Man do i hate seeing weber on the 4th line. Hes useless and now hes just taking up dpace.

20. habs03 says:

Emelin didn’t play well playing RD, so for him to play LD, we could have to sit Gorges,Kaberle or Gill (before you bash him, look at our PK ranking).

21. arcosenate says:

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. Hitters sometimes get out of position, but they keep the other team a bit more honest as well. Guess Jacques prefers the lovers, whatever, he’s the coach. He knows everything.

22. avatar_58 says:

For c…..WAIVE Campoli. We don’t need him. Emelin is an up and coming freight train and is only getting better. Weber is not a 4th liner either, trade or scratch him.

• chemic says:

are you guys really that desperate to see some hitting outthere?

waive him, sure, and the the folks here come along and call PG an amateur gm for letting guys walk for nothing.

someone has to sit and there isnt a better chance as tonight to showcase Campoli for some teams outthere.

• avatar_58 says:

I didn’t want that d-man reject to begin with. I don’t understand who he was supposed to replace, he sure as hell isn’t a markov, gorges, gill or any top 4 replacement. His injury was a blessing in disguise.

We need more tougher d-men not another creampuff

23. LL-not the hockey player says:

I hope this means Campoli, diaz and/or Weber are being showcased?

24. scrowe21 says:

Not only is sitting Emelin a bonehead move….. HOW can he possibly justify Weber on the 4th line? Get him outta here already. Play him on D or try to trade him and get a legit 4th line player.

25. habs03 says:

Good move, Emelin still having a hard time adjusting to positioning. If you look at the game vs the Devils, he was caught out of position many times.

Emelin will be good but needs time to learn that sometimes making the hit is not the right move.

• Habfan10912 says:

I agree the game in NJ was not his best but Emelin gives us are only physical presence on our blue line. I would have sat Diaz but this one is debatable. What isn’t debatable IMO is Weber on the 4th line.

• habs03 says:

Emelin can play both sides, but its harder to play RD, so Martin can’t sit Daiz to play Emelin. For Emelin to play, Gorges (switch side/breaks Gorges/PK Pairing), Kaberle, or Gill sit.

None of that is happening.

• Say Ash says:

Wrong. If you look at the game vs the Devils, Emelin was forced to play on his off side to account for Kaberle.

• HabsFanMTL says:

what are u crazy? they moved Emelin to his off side. he was lights out great on the other side till Kaberle showed up and was given Emelins side of the ice. Keep Emelin in and put Diaz in the press box

26. shiram says:

Apparently Emelin sits and Campoli is in.

All together now….. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Maybe Markov sometime?

• yep, totally not understanding this

• shiram says:

I don’t know Campoli much, but isn’t he a lesser version of Kaberle?

Maybe Markov sometime?

• not familiar either, but (and i say this with complete ignorance of who plays what position) id sit diaz

• shiram says:

Maybe he is not playing so he can see the game from up high, like Subban last year, it helped him IIRC.

Maybe Markov sometime?

• avatar_58 says:

Who gives a crap? Why does he automatically get ice time simply for being a vet? It’s idiotic. Players should have to earn their ice time. I don’t understand what Emelin did to lose his.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Campoli is a pretty good offensive D However his defensive side is statistically not so good.
          JM is a obsessively stats driven so it is not good to expect emotional decisions on his part. It was fun to watch the game and expect Emelin to finish a check on someone with some fury….oh well I think he makes it in the long run…not so sure about JM though.

• Malreg says:

Time for HIO to explode.

• AllHailTheFlower says:

I swear I read an article earlier today where Martin said Campoli would benefit from a couple more practises before being inserted in the lineup. Regardless, it’s exactly this sort of poor player management that has completely turned me off of JM’s tenure as coach. I liked what little I saw of Campoli during the pre-season, and I still think he could be an asset to the team – but I liked what I was seeing of Emelin so far a hell of a lot more. A very bad decision, IMO.

27. Castor says:

Jacques Martin is scratching Emelin

28. Castor says:

I thought he COULDN’T do it. There’s no way he could do it.
    Jacques Martin has scratched Emelin. I…can’t believe it.

The guys was catching on with the fans. He was the ONLY physical DMAN.

I hope they lose tonight… Jacques Martin has got to go already.

29. sampson12 says:

My focus this week is on our young guys at Canada’s World Junior selection camp. Gallagher, Beaulieu, and Bournival all survived the first cut, with final cuts to be made tomorrow morning.

I can’t see why Gallagher would get cut based on the numbers he’s putting up and his gritty style of play, not to mention Canada’s coach is his coach in the WHL. There’s a lot of talent up front, but I think he has a lot to offer the team in terms of secondary scoring on the second or third line, centered by someone like Ryan Strome.

Beaulieu looks to have the second best chance in my opinion. The blueline has a lot of depth for Canada, but they lack experience. Beaulieu has big-game experience and was a member of a winning team in St. John’s. There’s no questioning his offensive ability, but team Canada likes to select defensive ability first on their blueline, and offensive ability second. I still see him making the team based on his ability to help the powerplay and the experience I mentioned above.

The player with the most outside chance in my mind is Bournival. He’s played outstanding so far this season when he’s been healthy, but team Canada is very deep up front, especially at center. Having said that, it’s not uncommon for them to select a lot of centers and have guys slide to the wing position. If Bournival makes the cut, I see him playing a bottom 2 line role, one which he can excel in due to his solid work ethic and from what I’ve read, high intensity and competitive drive. I feel like he has the type of abilities that suit team Canada’s style of play and could be very useful.

I’m really hoping to see these three guys make the team, as well as other prospects from other countries (on the top of my head, Tinordi for the US, Pribyl for Czech, possibly more). This is a great tournament to watch and is great experience for the young guys. It gives them national exposure (I think we’re the only country that takes the tournament so seriously in terms of national coverage and interest) and puts them in big game situations. It also gives them a chance to test their skills against the best competition the world has to offer at their age level. It provides an opportunity to gain a lot of confidence and take a significant step in their development. Players who have had success in this tournament have often gone on to have great success in their NHL careers. I’ve got my fingers crossed for these guys.

I’m sure others can provide a better analysis than the one I’ve just rambled off (i.e. HI/O prospect guru, SeriousFan). Further input is greatly encouraged.

• Malreg says:

Since both McNeil and Phillips were cut this morning, I think Bournival has all but made the team.

Gallagher seems to be a lock. Beaulieu is pretty much 50/50.

• TomNickle says:

I don’t know why you would say that Hockey Canada seeks defensive defensemen first.

Last year’s team featured Calvin De Haan, Ryan Ellis and Simon Despres. 2010 roster featured De Haan, Ellis and Pieterangelo.

The 2009 version was even more offensively focused with Thomas Hickey, PK Subban, Ryan Ellis and Pieterangelo.

• sampson12 says:

That’s just what they were saying on TSN. I guess the evidence says otherwise, or maybe they had less to choose from in past years.

• sampson12 says:

I guess it’s more that team Canada doesn’t like choosing purely offensive defensemen, and that Beaulieu must prove that he’s also responsible in his own end as well in order to make the team, which is something that I think he can do.

• 24moreCups says:

Yeah I’m really looking forward to watching some of our prospects play since I don’t ever get to see them.

I hope Daniel Pribyl plays, I’ve heard some good things about and he’s of those players I’m interested in.

30. WindsorHab-10 says:

I happen to agree with Pat Hickey’s article on Fleury. Say what you will, but I think Fleury put business before justice. Had he come forward when Kennedy broke his silence, that scum bag James would’ve been locked up for life. Unfortunately he decided that he had too much to lose & kept quiet. That is hypocrisy.

“Hate Bruins like a sickness”

31. one things for sure, in a world where people are ditching newspapers for zeroes and ones, hickey did not do himself or his employers any favours, expect a recant by the end of the day

also.; pants buzzed, moen in tonite

32. SPATS says:

Read a lot of the comments on Hickey/Fleury and it’s obvious this has touched a nerve and opened many old wounds. (My wife was a victim of sexual abuse) Those scars never go away, kinda like a disease without a cure. Good days and bad, wake up every morning hoping for the best and coping and managing to the best of our abilities…

Now, back to hockey. It’s 7:45 am as I type this and I’m on the ferry heading to Vancouver from Victoria. I’m about to move my friend and business partner over from Burnaby later today. This is the most exciting day I’ve had in about 2 years and I choose to move onto more uplifting subject matter. No disrespect to the victims and those trying to understand their pain…

My partner is also a stranger here in paradise. (he’s from South Africa I’m from Brossard) But, he’s grown to love hockey because of the simple beauty and speed of the game. He also loves the Habs because I’ve gone on and on over the years and infected him. To be fair, we met back in 97 just after his beloved Springboks won the world cup and as a result, I’ve also grown fond of his Springboks. Check out Invictus if you’re interested. Clint Eastwood directed, Matt Damon and Morgan Freeman starred.

Like the current Habs and Springboks, we’re working together against pressure and long odds (the local economy in our case) but that motivates us to swim harder as we know we’re headed upstream and the rapids may loom just out of view ahead. We will give it 100%, maintain a positive attitude and strive for excellence. Our sports heros of the past inspire us.

Wish us luck! We’re gonna need it in this overpriced paradise!

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

33. WindsorHab-10 says:

Dear JM:
    Is it asking too much of you to have this team ready to play tonight? We’re the league’s worst home team, even the worst team in the league is better than us at home. Even though I hold you directly responsible for the team’s lack of effort most games and my being miserable, I’m willing to burry the hatchet with a victory tonight.

“Hate Bruins like a sickness”

34. LL-not the hockey player says:

To all the gentlemen that have come forward with your own very personal stories of abuse, I commend you.

More than half the population won’t understand, or sympathize because they probably believe their own actions and sensibilities, or lack of them, are also on trial.

But, there are enough people in this world that understand your pain and suffering. You are not alone.

I was engaged to a man that was severely abused as a child. I knew his father beat him to a pulp regularly, what I didn’t know is he was also sexually abused by other members his family.

I watched him for years, scratching my head, but boy did I learn a lot.
    What I learned was understanding and tolerance, once I got through the anger, and understanding it wasn’t directed towards me. And yet, with all that abuse, he was still searching for parental love.

It’s a long story, but he eventually got worse, couldn’t deal with society, and became a danger to himself. He never laid a hand on me, even though he was physically the strongest mofo I ever met, as well as being highly intelligent.

All that was taken away from him by the very people that were supposed to protect him. What a waste.

What BS to tell a man or woman to “man-up” when the “normal” learning curve, we all enjoyed, basic to everyone, was taken away from them.
    You expect men like this to react in a so-called “normal” way?

• Chrisadiens says:

+1000

It blows my mind that some people consider victims to be weak. I can’t even fathom any justification for that ideal.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• LL-not the hockey player says:

I know Chris.
        You know what’s weak? Lack of empathy, and judgement on things we cannot understand. So we blame the victim, further pushing them in their shell of shame.

35. like a boss says:

We need Chuck Norris……

36. Holy smokes! I cannot decide how to understand Hickey’s piece on Fleury. Either Pat figured taking an unsympathetic line of thinking would take awereness of these issues to absolutely viral proportions, or he’s entirely out of touch. There’s a terrible lack of balance, perspective, insight and understanding in his words. Hickey may just be from an older generation (and this is not to insult) that does a better job of burrying emotions when it comes to subjects such as abuse, but I don’t know if I really believe that.

I trust that before the day is out, we will hear back from Pat, with a certain amount of clarification and an apology directed Fleury’s way. I would hope so at least. I’ve always thought of Pat as a class and a gentleman and if he didn’t come forth with some followup it would taint many peoples opinions of him.

As it stands, without more to go from Pat, that piece reads as though it was written by a true blogger.

• bellcentre hotdog says:

I bet it doesn’t smell like a Christmas tree.

• G-Man says:

Why must Hickey apologize again? He was pointing out the Fleury was being hypocritical when “Fleury held a news conference and accused Canada’s politicians of doing nothing to protect our children.”

• because hes taking the psychological repercussions of being raped out of the equation

• Chrisadiens says:

You are in the minority here dude. You are either a Gazette employee or you have serious moral issues.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• I find nothing hypocritical about what Fleury said whatsoever. Theo, as a victim at the time, was silenced by his fears and shame, and in his state of mind, could do little about James then. People forget how respected a coach the predator was when this was going on. But, now, today, Canada’s politicians and judicial system could have done much better than releasing a repeat offender, who is known to all, out on bail.

There’s no connundrum here, no correlation between then and now. The context is entirely different.

37. shiram says:

Check out Crosby’s lucky jock strap
    Can it still be said to be a lucky jock strap now? Also that thing is uber gross.

Maybe Markov sometime?

38. TomNickle says:

On the Hickey article.

He’s paid to write opinion. That said, this shouldn’t have been published for several reasons. The one that sticks out in my mind is that Hickey’s argument regarding Fluery’s supposed moral responsibility I believe(and I could be wrong) is accurate. And publishing that opinion could really hurt Fleury emotionally. That’s something that a sexual abuse victim doesn’t need.

Just my opinion.

39. pierre lapuck says:

I’m a bit surprised that Mr. Hickey thinks its ok to judge Mr. Fleury. Unless Mr. Hickey knows, and I mean reallly knows, what this victimization feels like, how it manifests in the social and psychologocal devlopment of the victim, and what the victim’s goals are in therapy then Mr. Hickey would have better off keeping his limited vision and tainted opinion to himself.

40. Bripro says:

I have to say, boys (and ghouls), I’m a little concerned about tonight.
    The Habs’ worst performance of the year was at the beginning of this season, with their first outing against these same Isles.
    It was a pathetic display.
    If they don’t play with a sense of urgency tonight, it might just be another disappointment.

For those who didn’t see my link yesterday, this was Kirk Muller on the radio yesterday with Toronto Sports Radio Station. Good listen, especially regarding tempo of hockey he wants from his team.

So I am thinking any minute now we hear that L.A. Kings have hired Randy Carlyle.

• TomNickle says:

Doubt it. If they were going to do that they wouldn’t have named John Stevens the interim coach.

I have a very strong connection to that organization and I can tell you that it would be a big surprise if they rushed to hire somebody. They might just make a big splash and I can tell you that when they pursue somebody at any important level of the organization, they show them what life in Los Angeles as a member of that franchise is like.

They are a first class organization and treat their executives and players very well.

Unless the courtship has been going on for a while now, I don’t see a hire coming immediately.

I had no insight, but in light of how Anaheim immediately grabbed Boudreau, thought it would be interesting if LA had done the same thing.

For the record, I think Carlyle is a very good coach and the LA Kings wouldn’t do bad in such a hire. Stevens didn’t last to long in Philly last time he was head coach.

But I have no special insights on this matter.

• TomNickle says:

Carlyle would be a nice hire. He has a great track record for harnessing players in their primes, reviving veterans and developing young talent. I’m just saying that going on history(that I know of), there will be a courtship for that position that wouldn’t be finalized within a couple of days.

43. HabFanSince72 says:

Is Sanctimony-Fest 2011 over soon?

44. G-Man says:

Hickey called out Fleury for being hypocritical. That is the point of the article.
    The fact that many here are throwing Hickey under the bus is a typical reaction for HIO.

45. Old Bald Bird says:

I agree that Hickey’s article was rather harsh, but perhaps not as harsh as we are thinking: “Nobody should question Fleury’s decision to remain silent. What should be questioned is Fleury’s continuing role in James’s life.” I can’t fault that too very much.

It would be nice for Fleury to address this. All he has to say is something to the effect that “I was still in denial” or “I had other crises going on in my life” or some such. Which I can understand was doubtlessly true.

Let me reiterate that I think Hickey was too harsh and needs a do-over, but sometimes, things don’t come out the way you intend.

46. havok says:

I posted Julie Veilleux very well thought response to Mr. Hickey, but is still being
    “Your comment is awaiting moderation. ” since 8:15..hmmmmm
    Anyways I am glad others posted responses and spoke out…thank you.

47. avatar_58 says:

Until you’ve been sexually abused you have no idea what it does to you mentally, especially as a child. I think Hickey needs to apologize. Sexual abuse is rape. You think if he had a daughter and she was raped as a kid he would say “how dare you not speak up honey! You are responsible for future abuse”.

I think not.

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree that article is in bad taste by Hickey. It is easy to judge someone when you are not wearing their shoes. What Sheldon Kennedy and Fleury and countless others went through is sick as it is not just physical abuse it is the mental side that really effects a person.
      We have no idea what it would be like for them to step out and admit what happened. They are so broken down mentally how can someone on the sidelines sit and judge not ever experiencing what they went through.
      When you think of it….why not make it harder for someone to come out by judging them on how long it took them.
      Pretty poor journalism

48. montreal ace says:

Molson should make PG pickup a Moulson today, and maybe a suitcase of small bills, to help with any trades in the future, lol.

49. habs03 says:

Subban is so overrated offensively, but so underrated defensively.

In regards to Campoli, JM is screwed in a way. Gill, Kaberle can only play Left D, and I’m 95% sure Campoli only plays the left side. So the only way to get Campoli in with would be split the Gorges Subban pairing.

If you want Campoli in than you can do.
    Campoli-Gorges
    Gill-Subban
    Kaberle-Emelin/Diaz

50. shiram says:

Spatcho was a classy guy, got alot of hate from people on here, and yet he was a steadying influence and worked hard to come into this season in great shape, I’m sad to see him go and I wish him the best in Carolina. I hear he’s got a cool coach there now.
    Farewell Jaro!

The Crosby thing is annoying, it’s annoying because these humans safety is not the first concerns of the teams and management handling them. As long as that mentality perdures in the NHL, they will keep on having such issues, it’s magnified because Sydney is the best hockey player. What’s troubling is the lack of change coming from the Penguins and the NHL.

The Kaberle trade, well I’m not gonna say that it’s good or bad just yet, Kaberle needs to play more game with the Habs for us to correctly evaluate how he will fit in with the other players and the system. Could be a great trade, could be an horrible trade. It speaks volume about Markov though, and the rest of the plethora of D employed by the Habs.

Maybe Markov sometime?

• habs-hampton says:

I don’t profess to know exactly what caused Sid’s “relapse”, but it looks like the elobow in the B’s game (which was just incidental contact). But if the NHL and NHLPA could get there heads out of the sand long enough, they would do something about the WEAPONS players wear on their elbows and shoulders. I’m sorry, but I have no sympathy if they can’t fix this simple problem. In any other workplace, there would be a strike because of unsafe working conditions.

Time’s up, JM must go!

• shiram says:

That’s a fair assessment, it’s been posted about before as well. You’d think with all the progress in materials they could make padding that could protect without being a hard surface.

Maybe Markov sometime?

• G-Man says:

Crosby looked out of it just after the Kunitz collision. Nothing but a shame, really.

• Bripro says:

In Quebec, as you say, if it was off the ice, the CSST would get involved, the place would be shut down, and they would have to implement new working conditions and it would be officially documented.
        But just like the penal colony of the NHL gets away with broken necks and so on, there is no accountability.

51. slamtherimtim says:

Nothng wrong with Hickey story ,

• Mutt says:

other than blaming a victim because he didn’t respond the way a non victim thinks he should have…

EVERYONE responds differently, I have a lot of admiration for Kennedy for doing what he did. However he is a different person that Fleury and to expect them to react and behave the same tells me there is a lot society has left to learn about abuse victims.

• habs-hampton says:

Except that no one except Theo himself knows where his head was at that time. It appears that he was a mental wreck, and I don’t know how you can critize his decisions at that time. He was just trying to survive.

Time’s up, JM must go!

52. Thomas Le Fan says:

Hickey should change his name to Dickey.

Go Habs!

53. Chrisadiens says:

If the 2 personal accounts of suffering from sex abuse on the previous thread haven’t shown you how hard it is to come forward, here is a rape counselor’s letter to Hickey.

People who do not come forward are not weak.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Canus says:

Good on you for writing that.
      I also sent a message through this blog, mentioning I am also a victim of sexual rape when I was a child. For some reason, I guess the moderators deleted it (some forum).
      I also sent hickey an email which is linked from the rag the gazette.
      He replied back to me with an empty email.
      hickey, if you’re reading this, shame on you. Time for you to go back to school.

6 cuts from Team Canada so far, no Habs prospects cut yet.

Edit, make that 7 and we still have all 3 prospects there.

Edit #2, So no more cuts today 35 still in camp including all 3 Habs Prospects.

55. Higman says:

Where’s Andrew Berkshire when ya need him? He seems to have gone missing from the site.

Anyway, you know what I’d like to see? How about some stats on head injuries? Incidental collisions, fights, intentional head-shots, and so on are all blamed for all the head injuries. Maybe stats would give a little insight into what is going on.

Faster, stronger players on a ice surface that’s too small, while wearing equipment as hard as rock has often been sited as the reason for all the concussions. I wonder what the numbers would tell.

———————
    When the tough gets going, the laughs start flowing. Like Price said, “Chill.”

56. AndyF says:

I would prefer to think that Pat Hickey made a terrible mistake in his recent column about Theoren Fleury, than to think that Hickey really deeply harbours those opinions.

Pat, if you’re listening, please apologise to Fleury so that we can continue to respect your opinions and judgements. Truly, this is very serious.

Andy Froncioni

• DAVE. N says:

Agreed in great part to your comments…Fleury went through alot of demons due to this and other circumstances, and to question his thought process at the time, when you haven’t lived it, seems harsh and ill thought. I don’t see Hickey having thought through the “process” of putting this article together. Too bad..IMO, he created a rag article.

One thing I will agree on..I believe Sheldon Kennedy would be a better Ambassador. Just a hunch he would get more serious consideration for his statements.

Reposting my thoughts from previous thread.

In light of the recent article by Mr. Hickey re:Fleury, I can’t help but wonder if perhaps we all would have been better served had this particular scenario been brought up in an interview with Mr. Fleury. I would think it is obvious Mr. Fleury would have preferred James not be the coach of the Hitmen while he was a partner in the ownership structure. But rather than taking the position of Mr. Fleury being wrong or blamed, perhaps in discussing this with Theo more awareness to the long term issues related to sex abuse could have been brought to the forefront. Thus perhaps giving us answers as to why it was that Theo did not do more to prevent James from continuing as coach.

We posters here at HI/O often have the benefit of hindsight, and react to the news stories rather than make the news stories. It is easier for us to cast judgement or make opinions as a result. I don’t think Mr. Hickey is a man with any malice intent and perhaps also wishes this story had come out different. I am hopeful a conversation between Theo and Pat can occur which can provide something constructive out of this.

I don’t think any of us ever want to discuss a topic like this on a hockey forum. Unfortunately, in light of all the different horrifying stories which have recently been reported (Penn St., Syracuse) and the James story, these incidents are occuring in the sports we love and affect people. I can only imagine that there are many more cases we don’t know about, and it is with the hope that more of these creeps are caught, punished and prevent others from occurring that these topics need to be discussed. It would be wonderful to treat sports as our escape from day to day realities, but sports faces the same challenges which our day to day realities face.

• rjonline1 says:

I also agree. I love Hickey’s work, and of course think highly of him as a journalist, but I think this one is way off the mark. The type of stress and emotional hardships victims undergo are well documented. While it is tempting for an outsider to question decisions made by a victim while dealing with their trauma, it really needs to be avoided. It is too easy to say what you would of, or should of, or could of done from the safety of your seat behind your computer.

Let us also not forget the enormous guilt that victims feel for not “doing better” (by the cold disaffected societal paradigmatic standard) while they were coping with their own feelings. The fact is that this society standard needs to be ignored – informed by people who do not know any better.

I agree. This is very serious.

57. HabsFanMTL says:

i have a suggestion for the Habs . Do not look at an opponent as a being inferior to them. The habs should look at every opponent as a team thats superior to them cause the Habs play great against those teams. And thats what seems to motivate them.

58. Higman says:

6 articles from the HIO crew for us to read this morn. Sunday was a bummer with just one “argument starter”.

About PK – He sounds restrained. Sure he might “enjoy” contributing defensively, but his heart wants to give offensively as well.

About Fluerry – Why did he wait to tell? Hickey seems to suggest Fluerry looked out for his own interests as a star player and co-owner; and that he was an enabler of his abuser. Is it really that simple with abuse victims? Often with abuse victims there are a lot of tough choices to make, clouded by hurt and the realities of their present life. Hard to agree with Hickey.

About Campoli – Oh well, too many d-men. No biggie, someone on the Habs always seems to get hurt. Give it another game or two.

About Crosby – Makes me cringe when I think of this league. When Bettman expanded the league he “watered-down” the on-ice product, by spreading out the talent among more teams. As if that wasn’t bad enough, now we lose great players to goons. Like the Lindros story, this one is as sad.

About Spacek – Good sense of humor, likable player, wish him well with the Canes.

———————
    When the tough gets going, the laughs start flowing. Like Price said, “Chill.”

59. TOP DAWG says:

Boodaj in net?

“If you’re not the TOP DAWG, the view never changes”

60. tony d says:

I don’t know, maybe it’s just me, but I find PK’s game has deteriorated this year. More turnovers than I can remember, brain lapses but I guess the stats don’t lie, so maybe he has improved…I just haven’t noticed.

• With the lack of NHL caliber defenseman, PK has had an enormous amount of pressure on him. That could do it. I’m hoping for a better Subban now that Kaberle is in the org.

Even more so if Markov comes back (I voted no on Markov playing this year, hope I’m wrong).

Shane Oliver
      Brandon, MB,Canada
      R7B 2R7
      hockey@sholi2000.com
      Ph- 204 724 8418

• patience is a virtue says:

Another couple of stats which clearly show that we already have a “better Subban” who is part of making offense as well as defense happen are:

The team Goals For, per 60 minutes he’s on the ice (GFON/60) = 3.04/60 min. Gorges is on for 3.54/60 min and the rest of the dmen are less than 2! This tells us that PK and Josh create offensive opportunities by playing good defense. They have more defensive zone starts than any other pair on the team (over 50%) yet by far the most goals happen when they are on the ice (despite them playing against the opponent’s best forwards).

This is not only a testament to PK and Gorges work so far this season, it’s how JM’s system is suppose to work. Unfortunately we’ve have too many noobies (not star noobies like PK, sadly) on the backend to realize the full benefits.

These stats are taken from this page at Behind the Net:

• i think its cause he seems to be falling over a lot. your D-man flopping around on the ice sticks in the memory I guess. heh

• The Cat says:

PK hasnt been as dominant on the ice as he was in the playoffs two years ago I think.

• patience is a virtue says:

he has been more dominant defensively, which is leading to team offense, if not goals for him personally, which mostly happen on the PP (for PK) anyway.

• patience is a virtue says:

Just looked into it – you are right that he has more “giveaways”. 28 so far, second on the team only to Gill at 29. These seem high compared to top dmen on other teams, although Chara has 32 in less games than PK! Gorges has 20.

These numbers may be in part due to the quality of competition they face (i.e. opposing team’s best forwards).

Whatever the case, they are playing good enough D to make up for their giveaways, and to be the best creators of offense on the backend (see stats in my post below).

Stats on giveaways, takeaways, etc, etc, can be found at NHL.com.

61. patience is a virtue says:

Hickey chose bang on quotes and stats for his piece on Subban. The bogus talk of a “sophomore slump” is put in its place by his article.

Subban is playing top minutes on the team against the best opposition in the NHL. He has been our #1 dman all season and is doing an amazing job for a 22 year old.

Yes, it would be nice if he had some more goals, but he’s scored the majority of his NHL goals on the PP (9/14 last year). He is the PP shooter, not the QB and we all know how abysmal the PP has been without a genuine QB. With Kabs in the house and Markov en route in the New Year, we should see Subban put some shots in the back of the net on the PP in short order. And that will win the Habs hockey games.

62. habsfan reduxit says:

‘It’s not fair to the other team if I tell you where you’re going,’ – Pierre G. to Spatcho when relaying the ‘half-news’ of the latter’s trade.

… does anyone need any more evidence of how screwed up the league has become, or what!??!

“Whenever you have the puck, and don’t know what to do with it, put it in the net.” – Toe Blake

63. Can HI/O give an update on our Captain BG? TSN injury report says arm. Cheers

64. sherburnehabfan says:

If you were the habs coach what would be your game plan be against the Islanders tonight?

What are the Islanders strengths, weaknesses and how do the habs exploit them?

How would you tweak the habs powerplay vs the islanders PK unit?

Hockey is a game played with a clock, the more time you play in the offensive, neutral zones the less pressure you put on the defense.

65. Clay says:

I just want to take a moment to say ‘thank you’ to Jaroslav Spacek. Not that he’ll read this, but I thought he did a great job as a Canadien (despite wearing the ‘much maligned’ tag all too often), and I wish him well in the future.

__________________________
    “Talent is a gift from God, but you only succeed with hard work. Yvan was proof of that.” – Jean Beliveau.

• DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

I know this is corny but I always loved the way he would stop and tap the gloves of the two kids on the ice who were holding the Habs flags as they came onto the ice. If you’re a hockey player and you’re not creating memories, you’re overpaid.

66. I hope JM remembers the plan, tell the players that its not the Islanders but the Canucks in an alternate jersey. That should work, for a period an a half anyway.

67. punkster says:

Wait, I thought JM was ruining PK.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

68. Chris says:

Regarding Graham James: This is a tough one for me. I have a very difficult time calling out any of the players who were involved in that awful mess, both the players who were being abused (such as Fleury and Kennedy) or the players who were on the team and haven’t ever addressed the issue.

But it is puzzling to the extreme that Fleury would choose to form a partnership with the person who inflicted the abuse on him AND also expose other children to that person. Regardless of whether it made hockey sense (James has the record to justify being considered a good hockey mind, it you can ever use the word “good” in connection with that slime), it is bad optics.

Fleury has every right to be upset about the justice system. I’m not a big fan of the “He who is without sin, throw the first stone” mentality, for nobody could ever speak out about anything.

James is a monster, and one that was enabled by a great number of people who very obviously should have known something was up. That one of the victims might also have become an enabler is not completely surprising…Fleury’s life was turned upside down by his abuse as a kid, and it has taken him years and a lot of personal pain to sort it all out.

I have a greater issue with the people surrounding James’ teams that claim to have never seen any abuse. Given the testimony of Kennedy and Fleury about what was going on, it is absolutely unfathomable that NOBODY around that team had any suspicions.

69. This was taken from the other thread. Just my 0.02 cents.

Clay says:
    December 13, 2011 at 12:25 am Another dumb-a** poll question on this site. Everything’s not black-and-white fellows – please allow for some middle ground. How about a third option – something like this:
    Q: Do you think Pierre Gauthier made a good move in acquiring Tomas Kaberle?

‘Only if Markov if finished’
    I vote for the third option…

__________________________

Habsforlife 1959 says:
    December 13, 2011 at 7:39 am Yes

TK was a good signing and will improve the Habs PP. TK will have the most points as a Habs D at the end of the season. Habs spend a little more to acquire TK but it was worth every penny more. A little more than $416,667.00 is a steal.

Next season is another season that PG will have to deal with. But for now, TK brings a lot more that JS. TK is just as good as AM when Habs are on PP. AM & TK are very keen when they QB the PP and fines the open man with ease.

Some people get upset when Habs management makes a trade and when they don’t. What’s it going to take for all bashing to STOP? Lets see how this trade is going to iron out before all jumps to conclusions and all hell breaks loose over nothing.

TK is a very important part of the Habs PP and IF AM returns, it adds another demention to Habs PP. TK is the right fit to JM system and will adjust accordingly with a few practices and games played. For now, Lets see what TK can do in adding more scoring this team needs to do. C’mon lets here for TK & the boys. A few wins will change a lot of hearts in the coming weeks and I be the first to say it was a GREAT DEAL. You heard it here 1st on HI/O.

Go Habs Go!!!

“We have seven healthy defencemen, not counting Yannick Weber,” Martin added.

That quote from Martin in the Gazette I think sums up the chances of us seeing Yannick Weber on defence again.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Montreal+Canadiens+Chris+Campoli+likely+healthy+scratch+Tuesday/5847859/story.html#ixzz1gQ2I9Ory

• HardHabits says:

Martin could have equally said, “We don’t have a 4th line, even if counting Yannick Weber.”

Perhaps, but we all know JM doesn’t really want or need a 4th line, they just provide a respite until the top 3 are tweaked again.

• Hab-Q says:

A couple of years back Guy lafleur said the Habs had four 4th lines.

______________________________________________________
        “I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out”

~Rodney Dangerfield

• habsnyc says:

This team eats defensemen. picard, mara, wisneiwski, sopel, weber, bergeron. i am not counting the guys who were traded like O’Byrne, Spacek or the ones that actually finished their contract like Hamrlik or the ones that get called up for a weekend.

it takes an extraordinary number of trades, signings and draft picks to get six actual NHL level defensemen on the roster.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

What? No Bruins picture!

72. Chris says:

Like Higgins, Komisarek, and Koivu, I’m a little sad to see Spacek go. As with all three of those guys, the writing was on the wall and the trade comes as no surprise. But he played hard, even as his speed deteriorated, and he was a great presence on a team that has a surplus of moody and high-mantenance personalities, at least to this fan who has never set foot in the locker room.

I will always give players like Spacek the benefit of the doubt because they were the guys that were always there for the media, win or loss. Teams can’t have enough character guys, and Spacek fits that role well.

I hope that he has a career renaissance in Carolina and gets a couple of more years to play in the NHL.

73. Roche_Habs says:

wow that Hickey article on Fleury….dont really know what to say. Sure he has some valid points, but who is he to call out fleury like that? id have to say i side with fleury on this one, id be upset if i were him as well.

A for effort, D for achievment.

75. Hab-Q says:

Can you post a link to create an avatar?

Cheers

______________________________________________________
    “I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out”

~Rodney Dangerfield

76. bellcentre hotdog says:

Tomas Sandstrom not happy with your avatar.

Success!

78. patience is a virtue says:

that Chiarelli quote is golden – thank you for it!

79. shiram says:

If it’s for poutine Chez Claudette and Ma’am Bolduc were the best I tried so far in MTL.
    There’s also Poutineville, but it’s not as good, definately go for the squashed fries if you go there.
    I’m no expert on the other culinary purveyors in MTL, but if you ask around, there’s a plethora of knowledge around these parts, and alot of helpful people.
    Cheers!

Maybe Markov sometime?

80. Bripro says:

If you’re coming in from the west ( Toronto…..I would assume so ) and stay on the South Shore, there’s a restaurant in Ville Mercier called Gregoire’s. IMO, theirs is the very best.
    But it’s out of the way. Don’t detour just for that.

81. vegas says:

la Banquise is rated # 1 in all of Quebec, they have 28 types

82. Hab-Q says:

God bless your arteries!

______________________________________________________
    “I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out”

~Rodney Dangerfield

83. bellcentre hotdog says:

Food? Are we discussing food?
    Alrighty then!
    First of all, you must have a Bell Centre hotdog. They are unique and the best in the league.
    And for poutine in Montreal … tough to beat La Banquise … 20+ types of poutine!

84. Kooch7800 says:

agree 100%. After reading Fluery’s book it was an eye opener.

85. DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

Agreed, I for one do not feel comfortable judging Theoren Fleury

86. Bripro says:

When I was a boy, my parents were among the few where both worked.
    They put me in daycare. The daycare system wasn’t regulated then, and just about anyone could run one.
    I was not sexually, but rather physically assaulted by the owner ’cause I was the only english kid there.
    When I spoke of it 4-5 years later, my father instantly became my hero by taking me to visit the perpetrator, and giving him the beating of his life, in front of me.
    Am I condoning what my father did? In hindsight, probably not.
    My point though is that we have to protect our children.
    You have to investigate today. Any environment you expose them to.
    Hold your children close. I know it’s hard, but we can’t rely on the system.

87. shiram says:

La Banquise is hyped as the best in MTL, don’t know about the rest of Québec, and while it’s decent poutine, I would not say it’s best in MTL.
    Still a great place to try.

Maybe Markov sometime?

88. HabFanSince72 says:

La Banquise used to be the place for fueling up on carbs and fat after a night of drinking. Then it became famous, tripled in size, and acquired a perpetual lineup outside the door, a bit like Schwartz’s. Even on a Monday evening at 9pm there is a 30 min wait to get in. It’s mostly South Shore kids wanting to live like Plateau hipsters.

I still say two chains, Frite Alors and Belle Pro, make the best standard poutine.

The very best in town though is Martin Picard’s Foie Gras poutine. It’s a fatty salty umami wonder.

89. HEY NOW dont be dissing the shore :(

90. montreal ace says:

One of the tools for a child molester, would be the ability to be something they are not, they are the hypocrites, not their victims

91. Kooch7800 says:

Good on your Dad. If someone did to my daughter I would probably do the same if not worse. I have no use for people who hurt kids or people who cannot defend themselves. paraphrasing Russel Peters dad “Someone gonna get a hurt real bad”

92. bleedhabs81 says:

I am not sure how I feel about you witnessing the beating, but good on your Dad!

I don’t usually don’t condone violence, but I do condone eye for eye justice (especially dished out to those who target children or those who are unable to defend themselves).

93. TomNickle says:

Did you happen to see the episode featuring Jaro Spacek? Seemed like a great guy, family man, very low key and funny.

94. shiram says:

Yup, a classy fun loving guy that Spatcho, I’m sure he was a great presence for the kids too.

And yes Miss Withenshaw is quite nice looking.

Maybe Markov sometime?

95. sampson12 says:

You don’t know what ya got til it’s gone.. a lot of folks wanted him gone, even after he came to camp in amazing shape. Gotta hope the best for him in Carolina.

96. TomNickle says:

Well I don’t want to light a huge fire but he was put in the wrong position from the start. He was played almost exclusively on the right side of the ice against his wishes. Whenever he played on the left side of the ice, he was among our best defensemen. Just my opinion though.

People are quick to forget how big of a role he played in limiting Ovechkin’s chances in the Caps series two years ago and he also chipped in with one of the biggest goals in that series.

97. JF says:

Wasn’t Spacek’s goal against the Penguins? Otherwise I agree with you.

98. TomNickle says:

He scored a Powerplay goal in game 6 of the Caps series.

99. TomNickle says:

Don’t hold your breath.

100. Everlasting1 says:

You’re in no position to make demands. Your tix are paid for!

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

101. bleedhabs81 says:

you seem cranky

102. nunacanadien says:

Imagine if Robinson and not Gainey was here now, what a different Habs team we would have now….a completely different rebuild…that would be for sure. Not to crap on the hard work of Gainey and the crap shoot it became for him and Carbo.

103. nunacanadien says:

I guess we shall see the Habs get pushed around again without Emelin….amazing what one tough player can do in the makeup of a game….versus an entire team of gentlemanly, very mild meek mannered habs we have without Emelin….interesting to note.