Islanders heading north?

nordiques.fans.T1

Pat Hickey cautions Quebec City hockey fans to not get their hopes up. (Photo: Chip East/Reuters).

“NHL commissioner Gary Bettman also weighed in and repeated his assertion that the league would do everything in its power to keep the Islanders on Long Island. The clear signal here is that Bettman and the NHL see Long Island as Phoenix rather than Atlanta.

“The encouraging news for Quebec is that Wang says he plans to honour the Islanders’ lease at the Coliseum which runs through 2015 and the expiration should coincide with the opening of the new arena in Quebec City.

•  Steven Hindle on the importance of 5-on-5 scoring
Dobber’s Top 300 (scroll down to number 74)
• EOTP looks at prospect Morgan Ellis
•  This one will get the Commentariat buzzing: Top 5 All-Time Canadiens
• Stu Hackel on the Shea Weber mess. Damien Cox’s take on Weber and the Predators

1. kinsaiss says:

Online Store,Get Name Brand Fashion From 12USD Now!
    Lv,Gucci,Prada,Coach,Chanel Women sandal is $30
    DG,JUICY,Lv,Gucci,Coach Hand-bag price is $35
    Polo,Locaste,Levis,EdHardy,Bape,Christan Audigier AF,COOGI Tshirt price is $12
    Jeans price is $34
    Paypal accept,Door to Door services!
    5 days arrive your home or you

fdhfd

2. gfdygthygtf says:

share with you a very good website

love ★★★

very good web

lets go★★★

3. Everlasting1 says:

Some indulgence..as I know you all to be good sports and tolerant of outsiders such as moi :-P

My projected lineups/pairings for the STLBlues..

Forwards

Steen-Backes-Stewart (The next ‘Legion Of Doom’?) :-)
    Berglund-Oshie-McDonald

Colaiacovo-Huskins

Nikitin

Goalies

Halak
    Elliot
    Bishop

I sense a celestial planetary alignment this year or the next (unless bombarded by more rogue asteroids). Should Perron manage a healthy return this season, I’d consider them to be one of the most offensively stacked teams in the league. The acquisition of stay-at-home vet d-man Huskins, and promising young Shattenkirk look to improve the D.

Unbiased opinions/comments? :-)

——————————————————————-
    “God has taken his place in the divine council; in the midst of the gods he holds judgment: “How long will you judge unjustly and show partiality to the wicked? Psalms 82:1-2

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• JoeC says:

They wont make the playoffs

• Bugs says:

St.Louie sucks too much to be taken seriously as a hockey club.
      Sorry.
      But I hear they all make great muffins for the kids during all their time off starting end of April. And really, at the end of the day, it’s all about the kids, right?
      So in that respect, hats off.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• Everlasting1 says:

I hope the taste of crow agrees with you. You did have a small sample of it back on March.10

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Tony McLean says:

Halak should have a better year as the team refocuses after the loss of their captain on defense. He needed more support, if they can be better defensively he’ll steal games and their offense will too. // Price still has never stolen a playoff series in the NHL in spite of his male groupies’ love prose.

If Canadiens management and OWNERSHIP had any brains they would have added 3-4 SOB’s. Instead they plant pansies and wait for them to bloom.

• JoeC says:

Look up your friggin points before you open your mouth please , or go post on a St Louis board, you worse then a leaf fan. Take 2 mins and look up Prices playoff record and what series he HAS won before you be an idiot.

• bigshooter says:

a few years ago – Habs beat Boston in the first round – Price had a shutout in game 7 of that series – do some research pal!

• Tony McLean says:

True it was 3 1/2 years ago in 2007-08. Then he didn’t win at home again until this year late in the losing effort against the brunes. That’s a helluva drought and shows his character ain’t what Halak’s is.

• Tony McLean says:

At least you’re polite and your grammar is that of a schooled person.

• Tony McLean says:

Price went three years without winning a playoff game at home. He’s like Chuck Connors until he does it in the bigs. Halak did it.

• ds says:

People are touchy. Price is future stud goalie but fact is that Halak took this team further than anyone since Patrick Roy. I think St. Louis will make the playoffs even w/o Perron, they have a good setup and a great goalie. Is Price better than Halak? Don’t know yet, should have the discussion in 10 yrs.

To cuss out McLean because he pointed out how far Halak took them vs Price with essentially the same team is unfair. Price was good in the playoffs but wasn’t clutch (3 OT losses on average goals).

4. Everlasting1 says:

An awe-inspiring rendition of Iron Maiden’s Remember Tomorrow -for the metalheads.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

5. Un Canadien errant says:

The National Post does a good job of deflating David Stern, Gary Bettman’s sensei.

———————————
    For my training camp surprise, I want the second coming of Mike McPhee. And maybe Kent Carlson.

6. Bugs says:

Relivin some memories. ‘Member when Soobie got into it with Plecky during practice last year?

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

7. Un Canadien errant says:

Has anyone seen this? Evgeni Malkin hard at work.

I wonder what Benoit is doing right now.

———————————

8. SmartDog says:

I don’t want people to think I’m going soft but listening to Brian Wilde talk about Gomez, I am actually hopeful that he’ll come back and have a good (60 point) season.

• Chrisadiens says:

I feel like the world could end at any moment now. Brian Wilde must be the Antichrist if he can sway you SD.

If you are hopeful, I am hopeful!

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• SmartDog says:

Wilde seems to take motivation into account more than most, and I agree with this. He said Gomez hired a new trainer for the season to make sure he’s in strong shape. I’d asked this before but no-one on here seems to have know this (or thought it important)… it’s this kind of stuff I wish the HIO writers would tell us about. Max’s wedding is a good thing, but in my world, Gomez hiring a trianer and getting serious about having a stronger year is much more important.

• shiram says:

I dont think the HIO guys posted it, but I know I commented on it, as someone posted that news. Gomez had flown the Habs strenght coach to Alasks for his personal training.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• naweed235 says:

me too!

You might be surprised to know that I am pushing 50. I have always been and still am eclectic in my musical tastes. In the 60’s it was The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Santana, Hendrix, Doors, the whole Woodstock thing, the hippy generation. In the 70’s I listened to groups like Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Genesis, Led Zeppelin, Zappa, Yes, Gentle Giant, Deep Purple to name a few and probably all the other super groups of the era, heavy metal or progressive. I also listened to rhythm and blues and soul. When the 80’s came I latched onto the post punk wave and under-ground music and of course rap. The music I associate the 80’s with is so not what passes for that era. But I digress. The 90’s had Grunge which was right up my alley. I followed and liked Metallica up until they killed Napster. I’ve been to many a rave and house party. Suffice it to say I like guitars in music, or at the very least a good beat. I however was never much of a fan of speed or death metal.

Which leads me to this video. It’s a Death Metal mash-up of Louis Armstrong singing What A Wonderful World. I think it’s brilliant.

I gather only a few of you will like it and the ones that do are probably a lot younger than me, but for the few who can appreciate it, enjoy!! It’s very heavy. Very. But oh so sweet.

10. Mr_MacDougall says:

wonder who is going to score this year? how about an over/under

1) PK – 17.5
    2) Gomez – 14.5
    3) Cammy -29.5
    4) Gionta – 26.5
    5) Patch – 19.5
    6) Cole – 23.5
    7) Plek – 24.5
    8) Eller + Darche + DD 24.5
    9) Kostitsyn – 24.5

11. habitual says:

SJ signs White for a 1 million. I would have paid him 1.5 – would have given us grit and size.

• Propwash says:

He was on waivers, right?

• Malreg says:

Who’s spot in the lineup would he have taken?

If he wasn’t even good enough for New Jersey’s defense, which consists of Volchenkov, Tallinder, Greene, Salvador, and 3 other guys making about league minimum, why would he be good enough for us?

• habitual says:

You’ve asked two questions:
        1) whose spot: Spatch’s, who could platoon with Webber.
        2) Not good enough for NJ: He wasn’t good enough for them at 3 million for this coming year. You likely know NJ’s cap problem. But he would have been good enough for them, or us, at 1/2 that.

12. mike3131 says:

I’m re-watching game 3 of this year vs. Boston on my PVR (on CBC). Analysis/opinions to come…

• mike3131 says:

Pregame:
      – Atmosphere is incredible… got goose bumps!
      – Starting lineup:
      Darche – Gomez – Gionta
      Hammer – Wiz
      Carey
      … Hopefully Darche won’t start a game this year
      – CH pumpin’ at centre ice
      – Carey! Carey!
      – We have a lot of Americans!
      – Chuck Fara!
      – I miss Wiz!
      – What if we won that game?

• mike3131 says:

1st Period:
      – Thomas! Thomas!
      – Too many men as soon as Chara steps on… remember how my hopes were up at that point!
      – Gomez looks ok so far

Goal #1 by Boston:
      – Result of too many deer-in-the-headlights; strong Boston forecheck, played with puck in our own end, turnover, goal
      – Bad change
      – Spacek could’ve played the pass better
      – Hammer took himself out of position
      (At fault: Hamrlik, Spacek, Pleckanec)

– Moen could finish more hits with more authority
      – Spacek makes bad D to D pass to Sopel – could’ve been costly
      – DD going to the right spot… TO THE NET
      – Nice hit by White
      – Gomez/Gio = great forecheckers
      – Spacek is a mess… left a guy wide open in front but great save by Price
      – Chara gets away with blatant slash
      – Someone needs to out-faceoff Bergeron (if possible)
      – Nice save by Price
      – Pleky ran over Horton (somehow)
      – PK KILLS LUCIC :)
      – Terrible pinch by Spacek – forces Gomez to take a penalty
      – Cole will be a GREAT addition next to Cammy/Plex
      – AK cant buy a good shot… broken stick

Goal #2 by Boston:
      – We couldn’t move puck forward in neutral zone
      (At fault: Hard to say… white made bad pass to Darche)

– Dumb dumb Pouliot

• mike3131 says:

2nd Period:
      – Why is Spacek joining the rush on the PK?!

Goal #3 by Boston
      – Result of a brain cramp by Price
      (At fault: Price)

– Cammy shouldn’t be on the PK
      – First good play by Spacek in the game… clears the puck
      – Haven’t seen much of DD
      – Good save Price on Lucic
      – Kostitsyn turns Chara inside-out, Thomas looks bad.. 3-1
      – Why is Moen on the ice at the same time as Plex 5 on 5 when WE NEED GOALS?!
      – GOMEZ HAS TO HIT THE NET!
      – Plekanec should’ve shot low on Thomas with AK + Cammy driving the net
      – Gionta shouldn’t shoot off the rush so quickly… should use speed and cut to the net
      – Spacek not good when pressured
      – Gio listens to my advice… good scoring chance
      – Another Spacek turnover
      – Gill/Subban left Horton alone in front
      – DD with a rare shift
      – Lines getting shuffled of course
      – Great play by PK to keep puck in zone on PP… Pleks pass to CAmmy in slot JUST misses
      – Gomez gives puck to Boychuk on silver platter

• mike3131 says:

3rd Period
        – Thomas is ONE LUCKY MF!
        – You can’t shoot high on Thomas!
        – Getting good traffic to the net
        – PK almost took Thorton’s head off
        – Why does Gio take those slapshots from a mile away directly at Thomas who is a mile out of his net?
        – Plecks with a nice spinorama in the corner, Thomas looks bad again… 3-2!
        – AK with a bad penalty
        – Not many complaints with the way Gomez is playing (offensively)
        – In 2011-12, Moen shouldn’t be getting any shifts in these situations (3rd period in need of goals)
        – Gomez could be backchecking harder
        – Gionta hipchecks Chara… knocks’em down!
        – AK makes a great move but Thomas makes a nice save
        – AK needs to out-muscle Bergeron instead of get out-muscled
        – Moen with a nice hit
        – Alright, NOW GOMEZ MISSES A WIDE OPEN NET!!! But I give him props because he’s been working his a$$ off all game long in the offensive zone
        – Forwards I’d want on the ice in these situations in 2011-12:
        Plecks, Cammy, Cole, Gio, Gomez, Patches, DD, AK, Eller
        I’m proud to say we are a lot deeper offensively than last year!
        – Another reason we are challenged offensively is because we keep wasting shots… taking random high slapshots from miles away. I can stop those!
        – Lost a battle down low, Boston breaks out, empty net goal, game over

• Malreg says:

I was at that game, and the last TV time-out during the third period was absolutely insane. The entire building was going nuts, the loudest I’ve ever heard at the Bell. If they would have tied it the roof may have been blown off.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Wow, did that ever replay with intense vividness in my mind.

No question, we could have won that game, could have won the series.

But Mike, had we advanced, do we believe — realistically now, head not heart — that we would have ended up facing Vancouver? I’m not sure. Perhaps Philadelphia would have folded just the same as they did vs Boston. But given our injuries and appalling lack of scoring power, could we have gone further?

And hey, even if we did survive to the final, I can’t imagine Luongo sucking in the Bell Centre as he did in Boston. I love that goalies from Quebec are probably, per capita, the best in the world. I only hate it when they play for other teams visiting Montreal!

Btw, I’ve already deleted that series. Will you? Do you keep lots of games?

Cheers

• adam76 says:

Spoiler alert – habs lose in 7 games.

Weber’s days in Nashville are now numbered as he is now on the clock.

• habitual says:

Dunno about that, Steve. Maybe he inflated his asking price for arbitration just like Nashville low balled their offer, but I can’t see anyone paying 8 + million for any D man.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Why? He’ll be an RFA again next year. Nashville have at least two years to sign him long term.

• 24 Cups says:

Nashville’s low ball offer doesn’t bode well for the future. They either sign their big three or run the risk of becoming the Thrashers.
        If the Habs do that to Price he’ll be gone in a flash.

Show me the money.

• GrimJim says:

I heard a commentator on the radio say the low-ball offer doesn’t mean as much as because, unlike baseball’s arbitration, Weber’s arbitrator could pick any value within the two offers, so the low-ball offer was just to extend the range.

• Chrisadiens says:

Like Grim said the low offer was only used to try to lower the median of the salary. It’s been reported (EJ Hradek) that the Preds also said little to nothing at the hearing as to not impede future contract negotiations.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• GrimJim says:

Another weird thing I heard was that a team can hire a league-approved lawyer to represent them at the hearing, so a team’s manager doesn’t have to be there. That way the manger can still deal with the agent/player without having to say any nasty things at arbitration. And guess what, the law firm is based in Mtl.

14. pathockey1 says:

With regards to Kostitsyn, I don’t know if it’s right to assume he’ll be bumped out of the top 6 by Erik Cole. Considering the fact that Eller will miss the first month of the season, I see the opening game line-up perhaps looking something like this:

Cammalleri – Plekanec – Kostitsyn
    Cole – Gomez – Gionta
    Pacioretty – Desharnais – Darche
    Moen – Engvist – White

The first line has proven chemisty, Cole can play the power forward role for GG, Pacioretty and DD can maybe regain their AHL magic, and the 4th line is now a legitimate grinding line. I’m not saying this is how the lineup SHOULD look, but am just suggesting this is how it MIGHT look.

• mbplekfan says:

Eller is reportedly ahead of schedule and will be ready by the preseason. Pacioretty was thriving with Gionta and Gomez so your third line makes no sense.

I like your 4th line though.

• DearyLeary says:

I will be shocked if opening night looks differently from

Cammalleri – Plekanec – Cole
      Pacioretty – Gomez – Gionta
      Kostitsyn – Eller – Desharnais
      Moen – White – Darche

• Dunboyne Mike says:

At issue here are the optimum line combinations.

What’s exciting here is the amount of choice! While it’s true that juggling and experimenting with the lines for too long jeopardises chemistry, ALL the various combos proposed above are ones I would really look forward to seeing.

If only we can be luckier with health this season…

Cheers

15. Muckbringer says:

i havent had time to read much here today. from what i hear, you havent heard about this in montreal today.

only in toronto

• HabFanSince72 says:

1. How often are charges pressed for this type of incident. My guess: almost never.

2. If she wasn’t muslim this would have just been an unpleasant encounter with a crazy person.

3. The Sun sucks.

• AK_PK_Usay says:

This makes no sense, why didnt he just say she wasnt in the bloody picture. And if she was, there, deleted, now have a nice day.

And if she takes a swing, you’re a man, grab her fist and tell her husband if she touches you, you will touch him…

And remember, in todays world the aggressor has more rights than the victim. Remember the monster that killed his two kids to get back at his wife and pleaded insanity. Yes cos a dr doesnt know how to fake a disease….

16. habsfan0 says:

Re: Max Pac’s wedding: I take it Zdeno Chara was NOT the Best Man.

17. JohnBellyful says:

– “A little song, a little dance, something campy, give it a chance” —

Montreal fans they sing this song
    Oh-lay, Oh-lay
    Start to finish it’s nine months long
    Oh, de doo-da day
    Training camp is a few weeks off,
    Doo-da, doo-da
    We’ll find out if the Habs are soft
    Oh, de doo-da day

Team’s gonna be alright
    Team’s gonna be okay
    Bet your money, put it all on the Habs
    They’ll be playin’ well past May

Markov’s back and his knees look fine
    Doo-da, doo-da
    He’s number one on our blue line
    Oh, de doo-da day
    Jorges has signed and so has Cole
    Doo-da, doo-da
    (Erik, not Bob, God bless his soul)
    Oh, de doo-da day

Team’s gonna be alright
    Team’s gonna be okay
    Bet your money, put it all on the Habs
    They’ll be playin’ well past May

D is strong and second goalie too
    Budaj, Budaj
    Gone are the days when he played like poo
    Oh, de doo-da day
    The younger players will up their game
    Doo-da, doo-da
    So will the vets, to escape the blame
    Oh, de doo-da day

Team’s gonna be alright
    Team’s gonna be okay
    Bet your money, put it all on the Habs
    They’ll be playin’ well past May

I haven’t mentioned Gomez once
    Whoda? Whoda?
    A former star who’s now a punce
    Oh, de doo-dah day
    But didja’ know he’s working out
    Doo-da, doo-da
    He’s six-foot-four and has filled out
    Oh, de doo-da day

Team’s gonna be alright
    Team’s gonna be okay
    Bet your money, put it all on the Habs
    They’ll be playin’ well past May

18. habsfan0 says:

Segueing somewhat, I loved Mike Boone’s article today: “Montreal’s yellow brick road keeps on crumbling”. Apparently, Boone doesn’t subscribe to the old adage: “Quebec Sait Faire!”

Quelle surprise..

19. Chris says:

I can’t pretend to have watched before 1984, so I’ll have to take the word of others on who the top Habs of all time were, especially those pundits who saw all the Habs’ immortals play, like Aurel Joliat, Howie Morenz and Newsy Lalonde (who rarely gets any love on these lists) through to Cammalleri, Plekanec and Markov.

Oh, wait…I don’t think any such pundit exists… :)

All-time lists are rather pointless. Who was better: Newsy Lalonde, who led the NHA/NHL in scoring 7 times, a record not broken until Wayne Gretzky’s scoring heroics, or Jean Beliveau, who only led the league in scoring once?

I know it is not all about scoring, but it is so hard to compare across generations, especially when you factor in the era (in George Hainsworth’s era, goalies were not allowed to drop to their knees) and quality of teammates.

I prefer to just focus on how many amazing players the Habs have had and leave it at that.

20. HabFab says:

Apparently Cammy was on Landsberg tonight? Did anyone catch it?

21. HabsPEI31 says:

In other worlds of a slow Habs news day, our new #2 is already hard at ‘er:

Highlights (I’m not translating the whole gosh-darned thing!):

– He’s working out with Pierre Groulx;
    – He’s honoured to come to Mtl;
    – He spoke to Jaro on 1 July re: coming to Mtl;
    – He’s downloaded an app to help him learn some French, i.e. “Bonjour, comment ça va” and “Je ne parle pas français;
    – He’s happy he knows Darche, from their Hershey Bears days.

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

• SeriousFan09 says:

Good to see, Groulx has produced strong results with his charges since he got his first goalie coach gig in FLA and got Craig Anderson rolling.

I do hope as per the philosophy of The Goalie Guild, MTL hires a 2nd goalie coach for the duties of coaching their minor-league goaltenders. Can’t imagine they get much time with Groulx.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

2011 SUMMIT NEWS

I have worked hard in getting everyone Summit tickets. We have 100 people going this year.

But some people have not mailed their money order. If you have,! no problem. If you have not, you better courier it today! Or you might miss out. I have to pay the Bell Center in full on Friday.

Ian 613-968-9807

23. Bugs says:

Just noticed Burly’s reply from this mornin. Apologies.
    Never do this but bears repeatin: my first Hab memory.
    THAT’S why he belongs on the list, Burkie!

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

24. Sean Bonjovi says:

If anyone gets ATV (CTV Halifax) you can watch Brad Marchand in studio doing an interview right now dressed in a figure skating costume.

“Andrei Kostitsyn is a better hockey player than Max Pacioretty”
    – Sean Bonjovi

25. Bugs says:

I’ma say it again, and intend to repeat it Feb 28:
    Weber sure would look good with Weber, no?

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• db says:

7.5 mil for 1 year for Shea! Can Nash really walk away from their best player (ever) and captain?

Could a sign and trade be in the works? Nashville wouldn’t be in a position of strength… come trade deadline though, ouch that would cost at least a 1st round, top 3 fwd and top 4 d (imo).

• Bugs says:

It won’t necessarily cost that (especially from their position of non-strength, as you say); it’ll only cost more than what any other team is prepared to give.
        We have 5mil left on the cap, no?
        Will not most of that be shaved by Feb 28?
        Or does the team acquiring a player at the deadline take in the WHOLE cap hit for that year?
        Cuz if not, I want’m.
        If so, hey, we can work sumpin out.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

26. JD_ says:

So, I’m sittin’ in the lobby of a hotel in the town that Lord Stanley forgot, and can’t help but notice the almost complete absence of anythin’ Loafs-related anywhere around the city.

Except maybe for one half-shredded Loafs bumper sticker on a late-model pickup.

Not a single Loafs t-shirt or jersey on anyone. No hats, no nuttin’.

Try walkin’ down one block on Ste-Catherine street without comin’ across some guy who’s got the CH tattoed straight across his forehead and a hockey stick face piercin’.

Hab fans, baby!

Popped in to the HHoF a couple of days ago. Meh. Maybe I had higher expectations after droppin’ 35 clams for me and my son. Whatever. The visit had to be made cause I’ve probably walked by the place a thousand times over the years and never had the time to tour it.

The Bob Cole display case was a bit odd until I realized it was actually Bob Cole. Apparently, this is how he spends his summers.

Seemed happy enough.

Booya, baby!

• secretdragonfly says:

Welcome to the Big Smoke, JD_. We finally did the HHoF but were lucky enough to time it to coincide with the special Canadiens display which commemorated their centennial (the only thing I want to remember about that ghastly period). We ended up spending most of our time there and with the Cup, which was the highlight for me. Tim laughed at me because I wouldn’t touch it, not that I’m superstitious or anything, lol.

• JD_ says:

Thanks, SD.

The trophy room is pretty awesome. So much history. Goose-bumpish.

Interestingly enough, the HHoF has a small replica of the Habs dressin’ room. Took some pictures of the son with the Roy and Dryden pads on.

When he was done with the Roy pads, he threw them across the room and attacked some tourist who looked vaguely like Mathieu Schneider.

No, that last part isn’t true, but that would have been cool, you know, in a Canadian Heritage Moment kinda way.

• secretdragonfly says:

I can see the National Film Board vignette right now.

• Sakus Evil Twin says:

I don’t know if they still have the broadcast booth? You get to call a famous call IN BOTH OFFICIAL languages. Ya think Bob Cole has lost his marbles… Have a go, big yin.

It’s ALL about the trophy room.

No answers, just opinions. Bite me. Och.

• SeriousFan09 says:

They have his cryo chamber in the HOF? Could have sworn it was stored under the CBC offices.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• Ian Cobb says:

JD–The Hab’s hall of fame is part of our Summit ticket price this year.

It was a fight to get it included.

This is the second year that our hall of fame has been finished, and I think it is a great show.

• Un Canadien errant says:

As you were going by did he intone: “And now Gill rushes up-ice with Gomez!”?

———————————

• LA Loyalist says:

I trust you saw the reproduction of the Habs’ Forum dressing room? It gave me shivers up my spine and was totally worth the vist. I go every time I’m in Toronto.

27. SeriousFan09 says:

Ex-Hab and Journeyman NHLer Glen Metropolit is featured at NHL.com

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

28. Kooch7800 says:

This made my day. It was on TSN’s website under the Colin White article about him going to San Jose. Here is a comment from an intelligent Leaf fan:

LeafsPhaneuf
    1 hour ago
    Every year Sharks fans get excited in the off-season to see the team do damage, but when playoff time comes they are all dissapointed

29. JohnBellyful says:

Just as every yin must have its yang, matter its anti-matter, and Dave Hodge a Don Cherry, so must every list have a contrary list.
    Who are the Top 5 among players who started out in the Montreal organization and went on to achieve stardom with other teams? I can think of a few offhand: Mickey Redmond, Danny Grant, Rod Langway, Dennis Savard (oh, wait, he’s the one that SHOULDA’ started out with the Canadiens). There must be others.

• krob1000 says:

john leclair, thomas vokoun, Chelios, Desjardins, Lumme, Red Berenson, Mike Ribeiro,Claude LEmieux, Beauchemin, Craig Conroy,Troy Crosby,Odelein, Andrew Cassels Roy( still had as much success away as he did here),All Star Rory Fitzpatrick!!! lol

• JohnBellyful says:

Leclair, Desjardins, Berenson, yes, but Vokoun, Lumme and Ribeiro haven’t reached similar levels of accomplishment, and Roy was a star before he left, and Chelios had won a Norris Trophy.

Edit: Hey, you added some, Fair enough, but none of them warrants consideration for a Top 5 ex-Canadiens list, apart from Lemieux. So what’s your ranking, 1 thru 5?

• krob1000 says:

I think Ribeiro, Vokoun, Lumme, Lemieux, even Andrew Cassels have been as sucessful as Danny Grant ..he had one great season…Arguable ..theey are not like Langway but they are definitely comparable to Danny Grant’s one great season and Gionta like career

• krob1000 says:

I think Lecalir definitely is top 5. SInce you won’t count Roy or Cehlios…I think I would put Langway no 1, Leclair 2, Lemieux 3, Redmond 4, Desjardins 5
          ..I don’t count Savard if you don’t count mine..nah nah ne nah nah!

i actually think like the Curse of the Bambino the Habs have a curse of Leclair…..never had a top end power forward since…

• JohnBellyful says:

You could be right about the curse. What kind of offering will get rid of that? Small forwards playing big, sacrificing their bodies?

• longbow says:

2 names that should jump to the top of the list:

Tony Esposito and Rogatien Vachon

“Wanting is often more pleasurable than having.It is not logical but it is often true.” – Spock

• JohnBellyful says:

Esposito! Of course! How could I forget … well, that’s easily enough answered. And Vachon. I always liked Rogie. Was sorry to see him go.
            So my list would be: Esposito, Langway, Leclair, Redmond, Desjardins

• B says:

Phil Goyette, Marc Tardif, Guy Charron

• habs16-4ever says:

How about non other than Tony Esposito (just imagine the cups if they has kept him and Dryden)

• ebk says:

Tony Esposito

• Mr. Biter says:

Very interesting question. Problem is that only 1 goalie can play at one time and TE was traded before KD started playing in 71′ but did continue after Dryden retired in 79′. i can’t see how you could have kept both happy for 8 years. BTW who did we get for TE. I remember watching Leclair playing and the puck just would not go in for him while in Montreal but you could see that he had the talent to play in the NHL. We should have waited one more year. CC, who realized he’d keep playing till he was as old as Moses and at a high level to boot.

Mr. Biter

30. dhenry1234 says:

Anyone know of a way to watch some games from this past season? I’m really bored and would like to watch the Chicago vs Montreal game in Mtl. Was such a great game, wouldn’t mind enjoying it again to ease my boredom.

• LA Loyalist says:

Don’t you have the Centennial 10 DVD Box? That will cheer you up! I think it’s 1/2 price on Habs website or Amazon will hab it.

I watch Saku undress Lundquist in the greatest comeback game whenever I feeling extra lousy.

31. Psycho29 says:

Ian,
    I just sent out the money order for 2 tickets by Pony Express, oops I mean Xpresspost. She told me you should have it by Friday.
    If you need more info let me know…

Thanks again for everything….
    Perry

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

32. LA Loyalist says:

As to the top 5 Habs, of course we can argue this one until they close the pub, but I wanted to emphasize the point made about The Rocket as #1.

It wasn’t just the skill and ability. It was his unique fire and competitive spirit that defined Montreal hockey.

I don’t know what Habs new dressing room looks like, not having been to the Bell Center, but I hope there is a BIG picture of Richard glaring at our millionaires.

Patrick Roy is in my opinion the closest modern player to the spirit of Richard. I hope we have another about to emerge. Do you guys think PK may develop that kind of fire as he matures? Or… ?

Scott Cullen over at TSN compiled a listing of players that throw the most hits per 60 mins. These are obviously numbers extrapolated, as some of these players including the leader play limited minutes. There is also a list showing the opposite end of the spectrum. We have 1 Hab on each list among forwards, Dman just 1 made the list, and apparantly he is pissed off and went to Russia.

SUMMIT NEWS

I have worked hard in getting everyone Summit tickets. We have nearly 100 people going this year.

Ian 613-968-9807

35. SeriousFan09 says:

Arbitration says Shea Weber is worth 7.5 million dollars, obviously not the result NSH was hoping for.

Still, Weber went into this asking for over 8 million, I guess ‘Good Canadian Boys’ are all about the money as well, who knew?

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

• avatar_58 says:

I guess I just never really “get” being a GM, but if it were me I’d clean house to make sure I keep my MVP stars. As in trading for 100th round picks, demotions, etc. Whatever it takes.

Whining about it being too rich is hilarious to me given how crap the team will be without him

• SeriousFan09 says:

Issue is they have to talk to Suter and Rinne next year and they were hoping they could get all 3 of them to take under market value. If Weber goes to 7.5 or so, than Suter will easily want over 6 and Rinne will be going for MA Fleury, Cam Ward dollars. Tough tightrope for a team that doesn’t have real financial clout. 20 million for 3 players when you’re limited to working on a budget just over the cap floor.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
        SF09 on Twitter

• LA Loyalist says:

One of the things that makes hockey great is that it truly is a team sport. Even studs like Ovechkin, Kovalchuk or – Weber – need a team around them, and they should know that unless they are just check-cashers like Gomez. They earn their money and I don’t begrudge it, but it is in their own interest to have strong team mates.

• Chrisadiens says:

Weber is worth every penny.

Cue the contract comparisons to Gomez in 3….2…..1….

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

Not a bad idea to pay Gomez in pennies. Would be quite a workout carrying all those bags of pennies out of the Bell Centre every 2nd Thursday of the week. Screw the Gary Roberts conditioning, make him pick up his pennies instead of mailing a cheque. Chrisadiens, you are brilliant!

No reason a Top 3 Dman in the league can’t ask for top 3 Dman money, especially given he would then be committed to a team that may never win, no matter how good a job Poile does.

I personally don’t fault Weber, guy left his guts on the ice every night for that team. Not his fault the ownership in Nashville doesn’t want to be competitive in this league.

• Cardiac says:

I do agree that he is one of the best Dmen and should be compensated for that.

The problem is he will only be awarded a one-year contract as a result of all this. So there is no long-term commitment for now. Besides, commitment to mediocrity can only last so long. Ask Ray Bourque.

– Jerry Maguire

36. thehabsfan29 says:

Colin white signs with SJ

1 yr/1 mil

Chicago gives Sharp a five year extension – $29.5M.

• Cardiac says:

This still begs the age old question, why oh why do the Habs front office insist on doing contract negotiations only after season’s end. What is so wrong with resigning players while the season is going on? And don’t give me that “it’s a distraction” crap… other teams around the league do it, so why don’t we?

– Jerry Maguire

• naweed235 says:

you do realize that this signing did not happen while the season is going on right?

• shiram says:

nice pwnage there naweed!

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• Cardiac says:

Of course I did. However, the point I was trying to make was Sharp was going to be a RFA (or UFA… not sure) at the end of 2011-12 season. So rather waiting until June 30, 2012 to renegotiate his contract, they signed him for three more years. Why don’t we make moves like that?

P.S. Pwnaged? Not likely… Just answer the question smart guy…

– Jerry Maguire

• shiram says:

Edit : edited the post instead of making a new one.
            Bah sorry about that.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• Cardiac says:

Well, negotiating a player’s contract during the season usually involves awarding a player a contract extension… right? Unless said player is in a contract holdout situation (i.e. Yashin with the Sens). So they do go hand-in-hand. I guess it was my usual generalizing that screwed up the point I was trying to get across, so yeah…

Furthermore, this was an operating philosophy of BG as well, not just PG.

– Jerry Maguire

38. HabFanSince72 says:

So I was reading Stu Hackel’s article on Shea Weber, and for a short article it sure is riddled with errors. It’s not quite using google translate to post a story about Kovalev and Sopel going to the KHL, a story everyone on here had already mentioned, with hilarious results (including a textual translation of the Russian team’s GM’s name), but is is published in sports illustrated.

First he claims that Suter and Rinne will be RFAs next year. Heck, I know nothing about Nashville and even I know they’re going to be UFAs.

Second, twice he writes ‘Suter’ when he clearly means ‘Weber’. (e.g. “So, Suter’s side may well argue, fair compensation starts above the $6 million range.”)

39. I don’t think I’ve ever read anything as hilariously stupid as that Dobber hockey list. Voracek, Brassard and Berglund etc are all superior to Cammalleri now? LMFAO

40. huge_polar_bear says:

The Top 5 players has generated some debate on this ever so slow hockey day. What about your 5 “honourable mentions” ie. players that you watched in Habs uniforms that contributed in their own way but will never, never be considered best of all time.

Mine would be (in no particular order)
    1-Lyle Odeliene (something about that face that just messed with the opposition)
    2-Todd Ewen (skated like he had 2 boots in cement but he could throw them)
    3-Paul Dipietro (I hated him in the regular season, then come playoffs he was the best player on the ice, he always confused the heck out of me)
    4-Brisebois (because he inspired more debate / comments on this site then any other Hab in recent history)
    5-Mark Recchi (because when he was a Hab I was a big fan, now I would personally like to beat the snot out of him… but I digress…)

• Un Canadien errant says:

Never liked Recchi as a Canadien, before he even started playing I was disappointed we had given up LeClair and Desjardins. Sure enough, LeClair exploded and Desjardins was a top-pairing defenceman for a decade after the trade.

I grudgingly respected his effort, but he was tainted in my view.

———————————

• huge_polar_bear says:

I so do regret loosing those 2 players, but I was young and jumped on the Rechi bandwagon soon after the trade. Now I’m not so young anymore and the bandwagon has gone up in flames…

• LA Loyalist says:

Recchi was good, but not worth LeClair and Desjardins. One of our worst trades, though I’m sorry to say the list is long and shameful. Nowhere we want to go on a nice summer day.

• HabFanSince72 says:

The one thing I remember about Lyle Odelein is that after every fight of his they would play the song “Hold The Line” by one of those shit hair metal groups (Foreigner maybe?).

• Old Bald Bird says:

From an earlier era … because … well …

John Ferguson: great tough guy, but a very useful player
      Bobby Rousseau: maybe just because he once scored five goals in a game
      Jimmy Roberts: scored a few clutch playoff goals
      Claude LaRose: just liked the guy — honest effort etc

I’m sure there are others, but as demen … sorry … I forget what I was going to say …

• LA Loyalist says:

… and Ferguson could not only play, he was the nuclear deterrent. Very few guys wanted to fight him, even to try and make their own rep.

The good old days :-) sigh.

• LA Loyalist says:

There are a lot of great “Courrier du Bois” names in Habs history, you could add almost the whole Pat Burns era team, with a few stars like Roy and Robinson and I guess we’d consider Gainey a star,also.

Always loved Ludwig, McPhee, Skrudland… Dave Manson, Mike Keane, Rick Green…. I’m getting very melancholy today.

Sure glad Markov is back to cheer us up!

• Rugger says:

No particular order or even spelled correctly:
      Claude Lemieux
      Brian Heyward
      Carbo
      Chris Nilan
      John Leclair

41. Malreg says:

I have a question regarding that list of Top 5 Habs players of all time.

I see people arguing that Doug Harvey was the 2nd best defenseman of ALL-TIME, behind Bobby Orr, on several different message boards. How can he be considered the 2nd best defenseman of all-time, but not be one of the Top 5 habs players of all time?

I have never seen him play, and can just go by what I read, so was the person who wrote that article completely out to lunch, or is Harvey overrated?

• likehoy says:

the guy was out to lunch at Harvey’s: the best fast food burger.

– Gomez is holding down the “overpaid” button

• G-Man says:

Habs forwards were just that good? No, not mentioning Harvey in top 5 means that article writer is out to lunch. These lists are very subjective, though.
      Harvey controlled the ebb and flow of the game, but was shackled by Blake (sound familiar?) to be more defensive minded. Harvey was a more complete player than Orr was, able to shine in PK and PP besides 5 on 5. Orr was an offensive demon who was a great skater and (he said this himself) he liked to carry the puck. He paid the price for doing just that. Orr’s +128 in 1 season was almost matched by Robinson’s +120.

• Stuck_in_To. says:

It’s a Yahoo article. Why would you expect the writer to do anything but regurgitate popular opinion he probably found on the web. All the players are deserving, of course, but there was no real thought or creativity in this.

Having recently read Dobber for the first time (what was it, MaxPac vs. A.K. ?), I am glad to see a real writer and someone who actual watches the game and the Habs write a completely different take, and one that is much more intelligent, on A.K.’s upcoming season.

Edit: I should mention that I cannot comment on Harvey given all I have to go on is opinion but there are many who dare to compare him to Orr so, yes, I might suggest that Harvey replace Lafleur on the list. But then I did see Lafleur play so …

• DearyLeary says:

Harvey was the prototypical modern defenseman. Playing in the 40s and 50s being almost 6′ was pretty big. Amazing skater, moved the puck, contributed on offence.

2nd only to Orr is correct although I have immense admiration for what Nick Lidstrom has been able to achieve and I think is slotted easily as #3.

42. SeriousFan09 says:

The best journalist for coverage on Russian players in the NHL, Dmitri Chesnokov catches up with Pavel Datsyuk in the offseason.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

43. punkster says:

I dug deep for these. My rounding out of the top 10 Habs of all time:
    6. Chris Murray, who in 1995 when the Habs were down by 3 goals to the Isles uttered the inspiration phrase, “Come on guys, we need one”.
    7. Patrice Brisebois, who was often overheard muttering on the bench, “Hair dryer or air dry. What to do, what to do?”
    8. Jaroslav Halak, who, when told by coach Martin he’d be starting against the Flyers in the ECF said, “Musíš sa zo mňa srandu? A čo tuk veľryby?”
    9. Zarley Zalapski, who was considered to be far superior to any Bure in the game, according to a gypsy clairvoyant at La Ronde.
    10. Scott Gomez, who was also mentioned by the above mentioned clairvoyant as “A sure bet”. (I know, he’s a future top 10, but a clairvoyant is never wrong…twice.)

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Chrisadiens says:

Haha! He still has that same baby face today. Even the ‘stache doesn’t hide it. Thanks for the link.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

44. Mikey_39 says:

I really hope they find a way to decrease Pleck’s defensive time. It’s typical that he starts the first half of the season really hot, and then come playoff time he seems burned out. He’s our number one center and therefore should be more offensive than defensive. I don’t blame the coach for playing him so much on the PK tho, because he’s by far our best penalty killer. I would play gomez a little bit more during the season tho to reduce Pleck’s minutes.

• shiram says:

I think Gomez’s playing time is in his own hands, basically his play should dictate how much he plays, he had the coach trying to help him out last season, but now he needs to step it up.
      Hopefully, Eller will see some PK time, and DD some PP time to lessen the load on Pleks.
      I gotta say I still see DD playing wing come next season, and hopefully some Halpern like player to fill the bottom center position, that can eat Pk minutes…

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

45. TorontoHabsFan says:

Top 10 teams in 5-on-5 scoring, where they ranked in PP in brackets and where they finished in league standings:

BOS (20) – Finished 8th overall in points
    PHI (19) – Finished 4th overall
    CHI (4) – Finished 13th overall
    DET (5) – Finished 6th overall
    STL (10) – Finished 20th overall
    BUF (9) – Finished 15th overall
    VAN (1) – Finished 1st overall
    CGY (8) – Finished 17th overall
    PHX (23) – Finished 11th overall
    CAR (24) – Finished 19th overall

A couple of things stick out – that often finishing well in 5-on-5 scoring means you finish lower in PP goals. Very few teams finished in the top 10 in both lists. Of those that did, a couple you’d expect to see (Vcr, Det, Chi) and some that make so sense whatsoever (StL, Cgy). But mostly it looks like finishing well in either 5-on-5 or PP seems to have very little direct correlation to how a team finished in the standings – except for Detroit, who are kinda freakish (4th in 5-on-5, 5th in PP, 6th overall)

• Hobie Hansen says:

Where there’s a will there’s a way!

The Habs may have been a crappy 5-5 team but you almost always felt that they were in every game.

They would manage to score a timely goal somehow! That quality is hard to pinpoint on a stat sheet…

• Rugger says:

Interesting, what it says to me is Defense first, since 3 of the top 10 5 on 5 and 3 of the top 10 pp missed the playoffs, but only one of the top 10 GA teams missed the play-offs.

• GrimJim says:

“that often finishing well in 5-on-5 scoring means you finish lower in PP goals. Very few teams finished in the top 10 in both lists.”

The stats say the opposite to that. Six of the top ten teams in 5-on-5 scoring were also in the top ten in PP scoring. That’s a majority.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

Fair enough, I should have said that there is often a great disparity between the two – teams finishing in the top 10 in one and the bottom 10 in the other.

46. Hobie Hansen says:

Prior to reading Basu’s article on Kostitsyn and the Habs and their even strength play over the years – I think the Habs will finish in the middle of the pack in 5-5 goals next season. Which would be a great improvement!

With Cole, Pacioretty and Kostitsyn spread over three lines they will finally have a guy on each line that can dig for pucks in the corner with some scoring touch.

The only scoring chances Montreal really has had 5-5 the last several seasons was off the rush. Push the Habs to the outside and the threat was over…

That should change this year, I think :-)

47. Everlasting1 says:

In other news, David Perron is the only left winger on the Blues.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• JIMVINNY says:

that’s unfortunate.

• Everlasting1 says:

Have you recovered from your belly-aching over the Patches’ hit?

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• JIMVINNY says:

Have you recovered from the depression that resulted when Halak was traded?

• Everlasting1 says:

Who was traded?

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• JIMVINNY says:

LOL. nice.

• habs03 says:

Real technically Steen is the only natural LW(he can play C and RW), they made Perron play LW because they have so many RW, and so few left handed wingers.

• 24 Cups says:

The arrival of Arnott probably means McDonald will play LW.

Langenbrunner and Tarasenko (next season) will put some heat on Dags’ career.

Halak should keep an eye on a kid named Jake Allen. He’ll be after his job in another few years.

• Everlasting1 says:

What kids should Hab fans keep an eye on?
          Btw, Arnott, Langenbrunner are bottom 6.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• RGM says:

Wow, one winger and no goalie. No wonder you’re posting here instead of Blues Inside/Out.

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

• ed lopaz says:

Perron is a HUGE talent – I was watching him closely early last season and he was out skating and out working everyone.

Then he suffered a terrible concussion after only 10 games played and never returned.

I hope he can recover – but it was quite serious.

• Malreg says:

andystrickland Andy Strickland
      #Blues forward David Perron is still dealing with symptoms related to his concussion and will not be ready for the start of training camp
      3 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

andystrickland Andy Strickland
      David Perron and his agent met with #Blues trainers and GM Doug Armstrong on Monday and they came to the conclusion he needs more time.

48. SeriousFan09 says:

August, whene Montreal can not buy an ounce of respect and everyone is gleefully projecting them outside of the playoffs and nobody on the team can hit 50P. The boys will just have to make them eat their words with a NE title.
    – In other news, David Perron is still having complications from post-concussion syndrome and can not start the season with St. Louis, NHL declined to comment, citing they did not want to approach a problem they did not understand, The Boston media did suggest Mark Recchi go over and tell the little fake artist to toughen up though.
    – My top 10 Habs:(without really ranking them, they were just the all-time greats) The Rocket, Beliveau, Harvey, Plante, Robinson, Morenz, Lafleur, Roy, Cournoyer, Henri Richard.
    – I figure a helipad is in the future for the Habs, one at the Bell Centre and one in Brossard, Gomez can pick up the tab for renting a Chinook.

Was just going to post the Perron news Serious. Really sad, nice young player with such bright future. Sadly the league continues to be afraid of policing itself.

• DearyLeary says:

But they can fight after someone gets hurt! It’s not like those fights do any damage to anyone’s brain… wait, what’s that you say?

I didn’t mean policing as in fighting, I meant the league chooses not to properly enforce it’s own rules etc… hits to head, change the equipment to safer materials. That kind of policing.

• DearyLeary says:

I know what you meant, I was being facetious. If the league would police dangerous play, the dangerous plays would go down.

Somehow people believe that fighting deters violent play (I used to think that way, and now I’m at the point where I want it out of the game).

Why have rules if they’re never enforced? Why judge intent when it’s literally impossible in the majority of cases?

Punish the offence regardless of the player. Period. Point finale. No more of this ‘fighting saves people’ nonsense.

• Dead Dogs says:

Unfortunately for St.Louis this is a guy that seemed like he might become a key cog in their re-build. St.Louis never seems to be able to catch a break. Of course, the league won’t do anything. They would scramble to change the rules of Crosby said he wasn’t coming back though.

• DearyLeary says:

Crosby missing the playoffs wasn’t enough for them to tuck tail. If he were to retire they’d make a big fuss when the cameras were on, but the rules would stay the same.

• Kooch7800 says:

I 100% agree. They don’t suspend people with any consistency as seen time and time again.

49. Dead Dogs says:

New Eyes on the Prize ranking out today. #24 – Pribyl. What do y’all think/know about this guy?

• Bugs says:

I know I can’t wait for him to get here so I can use my “Puerco Pribyl” nickname on him.
      Oh, and don’t get me started on Ebby Calvin Paloosh (or “Nuke” if you prefer).

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

50. sampson12 says:

Let’s get this Canadian hockey migration rolling. Winnipeg starts it off, then the Isles can move to Quebec, then I guess the Coyotes can go to Hamilton, and then bring someone to the east coast!!
    I vote we name them the Halifax Schooners.

51. Old Bald Bird says:

I’m not going to get into the top five or ten thing, but I am saying that I have no problem with the top three. While some may wish to change the order of the top three, and I probably wouldn’t argue that either, I’m happy enough with the group.

• longtimehabsfan says:

No problem with top three either except I would flip Beliveau and Lafleur. As much as I loved Lafleur, Beliveau was better and for a longer period.

“It’s a moo point. Like a cow’s opinion, it doesn’t matter. It’s moo.”

• Old Bald Bird says:

Yes, Beliveau had a long and great career done with class too. Those few magical years of Lafeurs were quite magical though. I just have a total struggle making lists of any kind, so, like a true coward, I’m opting out. :)

• Un Canadien errant says:

I also have a problem with Guy Lafleur coming in ahead of Jean Beliveau. Guy Lafleur’s retirement followed by his decision to unretire and play for the Rangers and Nordiques and blame the whole ordeal on a Corey-Savard-Lemaire cabal grates on me. He falls a couple rungs down the ladder for that.
      ———————————

52. HabFanSince72 says:

If the Isles move it might be to the new Barclay’s Arena in Brooklyn, technically still Long Island.

• arya13 says:

Seats less than 15k when the Ice is out. That’s not meant for a NHL team, more like AHL and ice shows.

MaxPac will raise 2 Stanley Cups in his career to show Chara that his is worth nothing.

Here is a link for Summit comments and to post Summit pictures etc.that Shane in Brandon MB put together.

I do not know how it works, but I am sure all of you do.

Canadian World Juniors’ training camp list.

55. Chrisadiens says:

Zherdev to KHL as per Slava Malamud.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

Interesting, I really thought he would end up in Wpg. Depsite what Mr. Bryzgalov says, there is a significant Ukranian/Russian community in Wpg. Of course there was also a former GM in the Peg (Mike Smith) whose mandate was to draft every Russian player possible.
      Thanks for the update.

Good morning.
    Not much hockey news,

except! Some teams have their own buses, jets etc.

But the Hab’s are now building a ferry to go from the island of Montreal to their practice facilities in Brossard. They have enough injuries on the ice as it is, let alone trying to cross falling bridges.

Sure hope the media is allowed on board so we can get reports on the training camp.

57. Bugs says:

Any top 5 Hab player list that doesn’t have Aurèle Joliat on it is devoid of credibility imo.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

I am void then Bugs, I didn’t include him in my bottom 5. I hear the name, I read the stories, but is just too long ago for me. No disrespect meant.

• Bugs says:

But Doug Harvey was just last weekend, what?

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

There is enought footage and more recent stories that I can relate to his play, don’t worry I see the hypocrisy in my lists. Just my list is all.

Actually I just reviewed Joliat’s career numbers and looked at him related to scoring leaders. He was a very dominant player for a long time. Perhaps the fact he was in Morenz shadow for much of his career. Most interesting fact is his highest goal scoring year in the NHL was a season in which he played only 24 games yet scored 29! That is phenomenal. Much of his career was 48 game seasons, but never again achieved that high of a goal scoring year.

58. Bugs says:

Stopped reading Basu’s article when he began to explain how the Bruins “exposed Habs’ glaring weakness”.
    Yeah, the way they PUMMELED us in 7 games with three wins in OT, boy, oh boy, our weakness sure was exposed, eh? Hooooo-wee, and to think that WITH our top2 d-men and most prolific scorer at the time out of the playoffs, man, it just woulda been WORSE, no?
    Hey, can’t argue FACTS, huh?
    We can only hope that management has addressed these (ahem) weaknesses in this off-season.
    (rolls eyes)
    …exposed our glaring weakness…
    Ha!

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• avatar_58 says:

Forgive my homerism but if the team was healthy that series ends quicker and in our favour. Throw Cole into the mix and it’s even better.

Looking forward to this year

• Bugs says:

I was on record saying we’d take them in 4-5 WITH those players missing, “glaring weaknesses” and all.
        With those players back?
        (chuckle)
        Let’s just say I hope we meet again.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• avatar_58 says:

My ideal cup run includes Boston and Philly, because I can’t stand either team. Philly especially now that they are weak and ready to be nailed to the wall

• GenerationYHabs says:

I used to really enjoy Arpon’s articles, but recently I’ve been noticing more and more that he often just tries to stir the pot, creating some alarmist reaction to the state of team.

• Old Bald Bird says:

I don’t get it. The article is saying that if AK goes to the third line, he speculates that it could improve our 5-5 goal production. Do you disagree? What’s controversial about that?

There’s not much to report aside from opinions and speculations these days.

Of course, I offer the disclaimer that Basu is a fave of mine. :)

• GenerationYHabs says:

Not disagreeing with the point at all, just with the alarmist wording he has a tendency of using.

He is more of a blogger though, so I guess the subjective tone of his articles is acceptable.

• G-Man says:

You mean Arpon BaitsU?

• Old Bald Bird says:

What’s the problem? 5-5 scoring has not exactly been a strength. No? And it has been Boston’s strength. Yes? Isn’t that all he was saying?

For the record, I do not disagree with the fact that it was a close series and that we might have won were it not for injuries. I just think that we get a bit thin-skinned sometimes and kind of manufacture or exaggerate slights.

• Bugs says:

I don’t know what he said after “Bruins exposed Habs’ glaring weakness in playoffs.”
        Because 7 games with three outta 4 wins in OT doesn’t “expose” sh*te.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• Old Bald Bird says:

The sentence didn’t particularly reflect the content of the article for me. But, then again, I read it.

I’m not going to argue this to the death. It’s not a hill worth dying on. :)

• Kooch7800 says:

We did suck 5 of 5 in that series. All of our goals were on the PP. It has been problem for the last couple years and that was with a healthy Markov, Jorges (no Max P though).

We also were up by two games in that series and we blew it. No matter what way you slice it and who we were missing the habs choked last year after being up two games.

#6 Doug Harvey
    #7 Patrick Roy
    #8 Larry Robinson
    #9 Ken Dryden
    #10 Bob Gainey

Each were the best in the league at their position for most of their time in the league.

Edit: My age keeps me slanted to the modern era of NHL.

• Everlasting1 says:

Roy topping Robinson, Dryden? For real dude?

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

I felt his winning 2 cups almost on his own is a tremendous feat. He then went on to win 2 more for Colorado. To me flat out Roy was a better goalie than Dryden. Dryden was very good but played on by far the best teams in Hockey. End of day to me it is a top 10 list and orders can be flip flopped save for Rocket and Guy they are 1 and 2 for me!

• Ian Cobb says:

M.Richard
      Beliveau
      Harvey
      Geoffreon
      Robinson
      Plante

And many more!

• G-Man says:

IMO- many Habs are great, but who rounds out the top 10?

6. Robinson- his +120 season allows him to be ranked ahead of
      7. Dryden- 6 Cups in 8 seasons- 57 losses in 8 seasons ranks him ahead of
      8. Roy- great goalie with the ego to match- his 2 Cups with the Habs were not expected, but the 2 times he did win the team was not as bad as many people think. His butterfly style mirrored Glenn Hall and his anticipation was at times otherworldly. Next in line is
      9. Henri Richard- there are many who will say stuff like “What’s he doing on this list? 11 Cups, Cup winning goals and a real Lion in Winter, Henri put other teams’ best players in his pocket.
      10. Yvan Cournoyer- the speed, the ambidextrous use of his hockey stick, holy crap the speed! Big goals and flair, he was a Flying Frenchman to his core.

Truly the beauty of these lists for the Habs, is the tremendous amounts of choice. Hopefully in the coming years the argument can be made for a PK or Carey to start into the conversation.

60. Curtis O Habs says:

Basu makes some good points but fails to mention AK will not be playing with top six talent on the third line, some what negating playing against the other teams bottom six.

Provided Eller comes back fit (which he should) and ready for most of training camp, the chemistry these two had should be a real compliment. If indeed they include DD on this line, there will be a tremendous skill set on this line. DD’s skills are right there with 1st and 2nd liners, it is his size and speed that keeps him from being on those lines. I think the level of competition faced as a 3rd line will outweigh this perceived lack of top 6 talent on this line. In theory this is the strongest 3rd line Montreal has had in years!

61. habs178 says:

Two days in a row posted links don’t work. Just sayin boys…..

“How would you like a job where, every time you make a mistake, a big red light goes on and 18,000 people boo?”
    ~Jacques Plante

62. fun police says:

everything you need to know about the dobber 300, they have tyler bozak ahead of p.k. subban.

• Habfan10912 says:

Thanks for the heads up fun. I won’t wasre my time to read the list.

• HalifaxHabs says:

wow… that makes a person think they didn’t even review their own list. No one who knows anything at all about hockey, could ever rate Bozak over Subban. It’s laughable.

dobber 300 = the biggest joke on the internet for today

• 24 Cups says:

The Dobber listing is for points in a hockey pool, not necessarily saying that one player is better than another. Having said that, I still think that Subban could hit 50 in the near future.

• HalifaxHabs says:

ohhhhhh… Fun Police’s post made me think it was some kind of futures rankings… lol, sorry for bashing you to death dobber. I guess I’ll have to read the article next time.

There is still huge glaring errors in his report. Nazim Khadri to get more points than Max Pac? Khadri still may not even make the leafs team this year and if so will probably be on the 3rd line.

Tyler Bozak with the addition of Tim Connelly becomes the 3rd line center at best in Toronto.

Arbitrary list and all, but what else can we whine about on Aug. 3rd.

• avatar_58 says:

hahahahaha

• Un Canadien errant says:

Guys, I didn’t read the list either, but did read the preamble and he does state that guys ranked within 10 spots of each other are practically even in pool points ‘value’, so let’s not get too bent out of shape.

As far as Nazem Kadri and Tyler Bozak, those guys get the Toronto-TSN bump in Q value. If they were playing for the Panthers, you’d never hear about them, for good reason.

The Leafs forwards are playing musical chairs for spots on the Top 6. There are maybe two or three contestants and six chairs though. That’s how guys like Tyler Bozak make the Top 6.

Unfortunately, last season that’s Mr. Darche and Mr. Moen made the Top 6 as well.

———————————

63. Habfan10912 says:

Good read by Basu. Couldn’t agree more about AK. He will get plenty of top 6 time as we all know Martin juggles his lines frequently but he seems to be more productive as a 3rd liner. Gotta help our 5 on 5 play. Have a good day everyone.

64. DearyLeary says:

As ambivalent as I am to the current Islanders, that’s a team that has won 4 Stanley Cups. It would be tragic for the team to move.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Not really. The Isles have no fans and Long Island is a cultural wasteland. The poet laureate of Long Island is Billy Joel – which says it all.

• 24 Cups says:

Easy does it, HFS72. Billy Joel wrote a lot of great songs and always put on a stellar show.

• Rugger says:

Billy Joel is one of the very few artists that cause me to change the station as fast as possible. Can’t put my finger on why, just absolutely cannot stand his music.

• HabFanSince72 says:

He’s the Phil Collins of Long Island.

• Rugger says:

Yup, that’s another one that gets the station change.

For me it’s Sting. I suspect these are all artists that in their peak, were so overplayed by radio stations that the brain has tuned them out. At least for me that is the case.

• HabsByTheBay says:

They have a terrible owner, haven’t won jack since 1993 (with some utterly soul-killing moves in the meantime) and play in what is almost universally considered the worst building in North American pro sports.

Dare I say it, if you threw the Habs in that situation, they’d be struggling to draw fans too.

They’re hardly Phoenix, the Isles have never failed to sell out a playoff game and have never resorted to 2 for $20 ticket deals to do so either.

65. HabsPEI31 says:

Hard to argue with the Top 5. I like the Morenz pick at #5, but he could easily be swapped out for any other Canadien of the 50-60-70’s, specially Doug Harvey.

Nice spanning of the history of the Club, too.

As for the Islanders moving to Quebec… could luck with that.

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

66. cuzzie says:

After they build another bridge to replace the Champlain.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

I never liked Husker Du. That stupid whiney vocals thing with the wall of crap sound never really did it for me.