Is The Shootout in Danger?

From the NY Times.com Slap Shot blog:

Lots of the buzz surrounding today’s meeting of N.H.L. general
managers concerns the
proposal by Florida’s Dale Tallon to institute a coach’s challenge
One reason that proposal has gotten so much attention is that it was
sparked by a game involving the Maple Leafs and anything involving the
Maple Leafs is almost guaranteed to generate a disproportionate amount
of buzz.

David
Shoats of The Globe and Mail
reported earlier today that Tallon’s
proposal “died a quick death.”

But there were other items on the agenda as well, including the
new rule on head checks
, players’ trash talking and confrontations
during pre-game warmups, the role of social media, the league’s scouting
combine and, most intriguingly, the league’s overtime and shootout
format.

Regular readers of The Morning Skate know our longstanding, multifaceted dislike of the
post-game skills competition that is used to award a bonus point for
N.H.L. games that are tied after overtime.

The league had signaled disillusionment with the shootout by changing
its tie-breaking formula for this season: if teams are tied in the
standings, the first tiebreaker is now the greater number of games won
by a club excluding games won in the shootout.

That little tweak may already be having an impact. The number of
shootouts are down this season.

Of the 203 games played, 41 have gone to overtime and of those, 16
have gone to the shootout (although there were five in the first six
days of November). Last year through 203 games, 50 had gone to overtime
and 31 went to the shootout. So the number of shootouts has been cut
almost in half.

Two years ago through 203 games, 52 games went to overtime and 28 of
those went to shootout. The total number of of shootouts last season was
184 in 1,230 games, which was up from 159 two seasons ago.

Continue reading “The Morning Skate: Is the Shootout in Danger?” >>

Is The Shootout in Danger?

From the NY Times.com Slap Shot blog:

Lots of the buzz surrounding today’s meeting of N.H.L. general
managers concerns the
proposal by Florida’s Dale Tallon to institute a coach’s challenge
One reason that proposal has gotten so much attention is that it was
sparked by a game involving the Maple Leafs and anything involving the
Maple Leafs is almost guaranteed to generate a disproportionate amount
of buzz.

David
Shoats of The Globe and Mail
reported earlier today that Tallon’s
proposal “died a quick death.”

But there were other items on the agenda as well, including the
new rule on head checks
, players’ trash talking and confrontations
during pre-game warmups, the role of social media, the league’s scouting
combine and, most intriguingly, the league’s overtime and shootout
format.

post-game skills competition that is used to award a bonus point for
N.H.L. games that are tied after overtime.

The league had signaled disillusionment with the shootout by changing
its tie-breaking formula for this season: if teams are tied in the
standings, the first tiebreaker is now the greater number of games won
by a club excluding games won in the shootout.

That little tweak may already be having an impact. The number of
shootouts are down this season.

Of the 203 games played, 41 have gone to overtime and of those, 16
have gone to the shootout (although there were five in the first six
days of November). Last year through 203 games, 50 had gone to overtime
and 31 went to the shootout. So the number of shootouts has been cut
almost in half.

Two years ago through 203 games, 52 games went to overtime and 28 of
those went to shootout. The total number of of shootouts last season was
184 in 1,230 games, which was up from 159 two seasons ago.

Continue reading “The Morning Skate: Is the Shootout in Danger?” >>

1. TomNickle says:

I read it as Screw Job.

2. TomNickle says:

Fearless prediction:  Either a Hab player leaves with the Canucks or a Canuck stays in Montreal following tonight’s game.

3. mike g says:

Oh I’m sorry…

I don’t understand what you wrote..

Did you spell Jack A*s?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

4. mike g says:

Yup…

Not to mention they carved out Koivu’s eye….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

5. Psycho29 says:

Two words……..CHRIS LEE

6. Malreg says:

Why does it feel like Carolina always gets the benefit of horrible reffing…

Remember a few years ago when the Canadiens were given 10 consecutive penalties against Carolina? Of course the ref’s for that game were Tim Peel and Chris Lee…

7. mike g says:

Kevin Pollock…

IMO one of the worst refs in the NHL.

To his credit though, the other ref missed the call too. But Pollock was the one who was 3 feet away.

The game is 4-0 now, 10 minutes into the 1st. That call woulda changed this game completely.

If Carolina squeaks into the playoffs by one point, these refs should be fired.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

8. Psycho29 says:

I hate 3 point games but I don’t mind the shootout. Make it 2 points for a win in OT or shootout and ZERO points for the losing team. I think you’ll see teams go all out in 4 on 4 OT. Giving a point to the losing team is like giving a point for missing a field goal in the CFL.

Another rule I’d put in is, if you end OT with a man in the box, your team get one less shooter in the shootout. Not that it’s a big problem but teams will be less likely to take a penalty in the dying seconds of OT.

Also if they are concerned about goal scoring being down, a stick foul penalty should be served in it’s entirety. Of course if you have a powerplay like our Habs, you can decline the penalty! (Ok I am joking about the last part!!)

9. mike g says:

You know what’s even funnier…

As I was writing that, I posted it and Carolina scored on another PP. 3-0 less than 5 minutes into the game.

If Tom Renney is able to challenge the high-stick, EDM gets a 4 minute PP when they were only trailing 1-0.

Carolina doesn’t get that PP to make it 2-0 less than 3 minutes into the game. Instead, EDM either ties the game 1-1, takes a 2-1 lead thanks to the 4 minute PP, or the game stays 1-0 for Carolina.

All I know is that the game wouldn’t be 3-0 for Carolina after 4 minutes of play.

It’s a joke, Tom, total joke.

The NHL won’t grow one bit with things like this.

The casual fan will get fed up of the BS and watch Nascar…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

10. Ron says:

Who are the refs Mike. Any of the usual suspects ?

11. TomNickle says:

Not some people Mike.  The NHL.  They’re the only league who believes that their officials should be seen as beyond reproach and that they have no emotions, interests or propensity for mistakes.

They want us to think that the officials are almighty.

12. mike g says:

WOW….

Andrew Cogliano just got smacked in the mouth with a totally obvious high-stick from Joni Pitkanen, referee was exactly 3 feet away from it and his body was facing the play. Cogliano for sure lost a bunch of teeth, as his mouth was pis*ing more blood than you see in cheap horror movies.

No penalty on the play.

But then, 3 seconds after the non-called high-stick, EDM gets called for a hooking call. Carolina scores on the PP,and it’s now 2-0 less than 3 minutes into the game…

And people still think coaches shouldn’t be able to challenge plays like that?

Give me a break.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

13. TomNickle says:

That’s what I’m sayin.

14. Storm Man says:

2 pts for a win and none for a tie. I like the looks of that.

15. TomNickle says:

I don’t think you’d have many games ending in a tie if zero points were the result.

16. Storm Man says:

So it ends in a 3-3 game? Is that not taking steps back?

17. sholi2000.com says:

I hate the shoot out, and I hate three point games.

Play until there is a win!

They Call Me Shane

18. TomNickle says:

How about no points for either team if the game ends in a tie after overtime.

I think that would create some excitement.

19. Malreg says:

I think the solution is what Ken Holland has suggested.  Dry-scrape the ice after regulation, then play 5 minutes 4 on 4, then 5 minutes 3 on 3.  If no one scores, then go to a shootout.  It will greatly reduce the amount of games that require a shootout.

20. SeriousFan09 says:

If it ends a trap snoozefest, I’m fine with it but some games… it just seems criminal to end it with a shootout, the urgency, the level of play that I’m seeing reduced to a skills competition.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

21. Malreg says:

I don’t see a problem with them either.  Some people seem to think it’s just like deciding a game with a target shooting competition, since the shootout is nothing more then a skills competition to them.

It’s a game a situation, and it’s the most exciting play in hockey.  Try to find a single kid that does not like the shootout.  Shootout’s are good for the game, as much as the old guard might dislike them.

22. light_n_tasty says:

I don’t get what all the fuss is about shootouts.  Just because some pro-leagues avoided them for a long time doesn’t mean they aren’t part of hockey.  In fact, they are part of every level of amateur and semi-pro hockey, including the Olympics.  So what is so un-hockeyish about shootouts?

23. observer says:

yes, it will make it hard now on those self proclaimed hacks er experts of hockey in the media who greatly supported this destruction of what hockey has been for over a hundred years. a unique idea – the whole point of these shootouts hyas nothing to do with them BUT it is maple leaf gardens fault. absolutely unbelievable.

24. SmartDog says:

NEW PENALTY!

2 minutes for trading away your best player for a bag of pucks!

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

25. mike g says:

Will it ever get old?….

I’m getting bored of you getting me nervous.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

26. Storm Man says:

The GM’S in the NHL want to take trash talking out of the game LMAO. The trash talking is lame in the NHL, You should hear what is said in a football game or a basketball game. Move some of the deadbeat teams back to Canada should be number one on the league’s plate.

27. Say Ash says:

OT: I noticed Tippett & Co. wearing poppies behind the bench in Detroit yesterday. Nice Canadiana, I thought.

28. mike g says:

I really don’t understand…

Throwing a flag once a game IF there was a disputeable call is completely rational. It makes the game better, and can/will help prevent teams from gaining/losing points in an unfair manner.

Such a simple concept, yet it’s rejected by clowns like Burke.

But meanwhile, we gotta watch teams make the playoffs on a short/cheap skills competition, or shootout; whatever you wanna call it.

Joke, NHL….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

29. NightRyder says:

I’d like the GMs to talk about Lars Eller and Ian Schultz having a combined one point. Can we take Tarasenko and Schwartz instead?

Do they have do-overs?