Injury bug hits Habs defence as Drewiske, Bouillon sidelined

The Canadiens are testing that old adage about never having too many defencemen.

The Canadiens were so scrapped for bodies at training camp Thursday in Brossard that they were forced to recall Darren Dietz from the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs.

The list of ailing defencemen grew when Davis Drewiske (photo above) and Francis Bouillon suffered injuries in practice Wednesday. Drewiske will be out for four weeks with a shoulder injury, which means he will miss the start of the regular season. That will almost certainly ensure a roster spot for Jarred Tinordi to start the year.

Bouillon is day-to-day with a lower-body injury and so is Douglas Murray, who missed his second day of practice.

Nathan Beaulieu, who suffered a shoulder injury at the start of training camp, has been practising with the extra players after coach Michel Therrien divided his roster into a main group and a group of extras.

In other news, the Canadiens announced that captain Brian Gionta has won the Jean Béliveau Trophy in recognition of his charitable work and community involvement.

The Canadiens will skate at 11:30 a.m. Friday in Brossard before heading to Quebec City to face the Carolina Hurricanes Friday night in preseason action (7:30 p.m., RDS). The Canadiens and Hurricanes will meet again Saturday night at the Bell Centre (7 p.m., RDS).

(Photo by John Kenney/The Gazette)

Injuries could open up spot for Tinordi, by Pat Hickey

Photo gallery from Thursday practice, montrealgazette.com

Habs in need of healing powers, Canadiens.com

Habs’ lineup for Friday’s game against Hurricanes, Canadiens.com

Gionta awarded Jean Béliveau Trophy, Canadiens.com

Would the real Marc Bergevin please stand up, Stu on Sports Blog

Bulldogs to play two games at Bell Centre, Canadiens.com

Bulldogs training-camp roster, hamiltonbulldogs.com

1. frontenac1 says:

Mrs Front has an iphone 5 and has been nothing but trouble in Europe. My BlackBerry Q10 is working great.No problems.

2. slyCH says:

I’ve seen only the bruins match-up so far and I am wondering…Since Collberg needs to make the team or be sent back to Europe, has he been good? How many games has he played and does he look worthy of a stay on the team a la Galchenyuk? I’m stoked to see his play.

• B says:

Collberg is coming of a knee injury he suffered at this summer’s WJC camp in Lake Placid, he was only recently cleared to play and was in last Sunday seeing about 14 minutes against Buffalo. I was disappointed they didn’t use him in the shoot out that game. Hopefully he will be a bit stronger now after a week of practice and have a better showing tonight. He should stick around for the whole camp but I really doubt he will make the team this year.

–Go Habs Go!–

3. Habfan10912 says:

I wanted to add to Eddie’s comments below about the line combination. I am looking forward to seeing Thomas with Galchenyuk, Colberg with Patches as well. Seems as though Bournival has gotten the short end of the show tonight.

Now being a nutty Hab fan and trying not to overreact but could this possibly mean that Bournival has impressed the organization enough to have won a job and that Colberg and Thomas are getting a chance to shine and build some confidence for their future?

Or am I reading wayyyyyyyyyy too much into a meaningless preseason game?

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

These games are definitely meaningless as far as the standing and as a gauge of the team, but….

definitely not meaningless as far as who is playing where, getting ice time, etc. Management and coaches are definitely putting guys in situations to see what they can do. This is one of the biggest games in Collberg’s career progression. If he shines, that’ll be a statement (not that he’ll make the team out of camp, but he’ll stick in the memory of the organization). It’s especially big for him as he’ll be playing in Sweden, not Hamilton, so they won’t be able to follow him as closely

• shiram says:

Maybe they’ll use the third as an exploitation line, that could do well for Bournival, and having McCarron can’t hurt.
      Holland is the one I’m not so sure about.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Not sure about Holland either…but definitely worth having him around as a throw in for that deal.

Cammy/Ramo/Culkin (5th round in ’12) for Bourque/Fucale/Holland

I know it’s too early to tell for sure, but pretty confident we won that one…with or without Holland :)

• Luke says:

I looked at is a Bournival being played in a role that would be what his actual role would be if he made or was called up to the NHL team.

4. Bill says:

Been looking through ios 7 all morning, and it’s definitely worth the upgrade with an iPhone 5. The new control centre is very convenient, Siri is better, and I do like the new system for closing apps. Only complaint is that I can’t search the web from spotlight anymore – why?? – and I’m pretty sure it’s using more battery.

Mavid, my download only took a few minutes, maybe something is wrong with your connection?

5. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Interesting lines at practice:

Collberg-Desharnais-Pacioretty
    Prust-Galchenyuk-Thomas
    Bournival-Holland-McCarron
    Tarnasky-Dumont-Blunden

Gorges-Subban
    Tinordi-Pateryn
    Dietz-Nygren

Budaj
    Tokarski

Collberg getting a shot on the top line…Chucky playing center

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Also interested to see Tokarski…from I remember from the World Juniors, he’s a solid goalie. Surprised he’s been sort of forgotten. That could turn out to be a great trade for the Habs.

• shiram says:

I haven’t forgotten about him, I’m glad to have him in Hamilton, he seems like a good prospect with good credentials, and the trade we got him still seems awesome to me.
        He could be Budaj replacement soon!

• habstrinifan says:

Wish that they would split Gorges/Subban for a game or two.. until reg season draws nearer.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

I just wish they’d split them, to be honest.

Gorges is great, but he’s a third pairing, steady guy.

It’s no secret we’re short on defence, but I don’t think promoting Gorges is the answer. I know Tinordi is young to be playing those minutes, but it’s a player in his mould that should be playing with PK.

6. BJ says:

@Timo. If your question is a serious one about RDS pre-season broadcasts. Yes they are, I’ve seen the two games so far.

7. shiram says:

Flames named Mark Giordano Captain.
    It amused me to think of Cammy playing with another Gio captain.

• slyCH says:

Cammy’s ego put to the test, again. Maybe he should take the hints.

• shiram says:

was my first thought too, but someone corrected me quickly :
        “Cammy had the following to say about a week ago:

“I definitely wouldn’t turn something like that down, but having said that, my vote is: I think Mark Giordano would be a great captain of this group,” Cammalleri said Wednesday. “I’ll be up front and honest about that. He’s been here a long time. He’s a guy that I have a tremendous amount of respect for, and being an assistant captain to him would be an honour, also.””

8. Loop_Garoo says:

Love the TSN story about Gallant and Barch removing each other’s helmets to get around the new helmet laws. I’m not a big supporter of fighting, but I wish I could have seen the look on Bettman’s face, bet he never thought of that one.

Greg

• shiram says:

To me it looked stupid and seems like another nail in the “fighting” coffin.
      It’s kinda like when Laraque would ask people to fight… where is all that supposed anger, frustration and emotions that’s always used to warrant fights?
      Anyways you can be sure the NHL will close the loop-hole very soon.
      Besides it seems obvious to me there should be a ruling that a player should not mess with another’s gear.

• Luke says:

If Avery’s waiving his stick at Brodeur was an insult to the game and spirit of hockey, this was a mockery.

Oh, it was very clever and funny, but an absolute joke.

• B says:

They should give a penalty if you remove another players helmet, even during a fight. Players should also be fined or penalized for not having a properly tightened chin strap on their helmets (safety). I am surprised the insurance companies don’t insist on it (and refuse any claims where players don’t have their helmet properly on). If making them keep their helmets properly on all the time reduces staged fights then that’s even better.

–Go Habs Go!–

9. shiram says:

Who gets more goals this season?
    Pacioretty or Erik Cole?
    Gionta or Cammaleri?
    Gallagher or Ryder?

I tried to find some fair matchups, but all our cast away are likely to get top trio lines and first PP wave.

oh also Brière or Grabovski?

• mark-ID says:

Briere

• Habfan10912 says:

Pacioretty by a lot!
      Cammy
      Ryder
      Briere

BTW Shiram, I can’t do those line things above Briere’s name. Am I too stupid or do I need a special keyboard or something?

• shiram says:

The accent?
        I guess if your keyboard is set to english you just can’t do them or it’s just too complicated. Anyways I would not worry about it, it seems this season is the first one to feature accent on the name plates of the jerseys.

I would have chosen the same people you did for the most goals, I think people under value Cammy.

• habstrinifan says:

There are many ways Habfan10912. You can switch your keyboard to the international, or you can keep a list of ALT CODES handy and just type them using the alt codes; or you can get them together from a site and copy and paste.

I like my simple keyboard entry so I keep a list of alt codes. To use the alt codes you press and keep the alt button down with one hand and then enter the 4 digit numeric code using the num lock and the number keyboard to the right.

For instance to type Briere with the first e accented, I would type Bri normally, then press the alt key and type 0232 at the same time then remove hands off alt key and type normally.
        Brière.

As I said there are easier ways (int. keyboard method but then u may have to switch back and forth)

Google for “list of alt codes for accented letters”.
        Also a quick google should tell you ‘all about international keyboard under windows’
        Best way may be to google, find a list, and then keep it handy and copy and paste.

• Cal says:

Here you go, Jim.
        For Keyboard only: Hold down ALT and press 0232 and let go of ALT for this one: è
        The same ALT and 0233:é.

10. Feraco says:

WHERE IS THE LINE UP FOR TONIGHT!!? Ahhhhh

11. frontenac1 says:

@burly. Thanks amigo. I’m at home where ever good people and good booze meet. Saludos!

12. Mavid says:

anyone know how long it takes for the new IOS 7 to download and install its been updated for forever..and has hardly done anything

Weed Wacker Gramda Smurf

13. boing007 says:

@Timo,
    Ali G was spotted at the Singapore GP today.

Richard R

14. frontenac1 says:

@krob. The Fronts won their opener 11-4? And the Chargers won? WTF! Mas Whiskey!

15. frontenac1 says:

@jim. It’s been a perfect,hazy blur of malt whiskey and pints amigo. Mrs Front says she has some interesting pictures of me.Slainte!

16. krob1000 says:

anyone got the carolina lineup?

17. jeffhabfan says:

Happy Birthday to the Flower.

Hey, did we ever find out if RDS is broadcasting pre-season games?

19. krob1000 says:

@JohnLuTSNMtl: #Habs back end vs. Canes: Gorges – Subban; Tinordi – Pateryn; Deitz – Nygren Budaj Tokarski
    15 minutes ago
    @JohnLuTSNMtl: #Habs lines vs. Canes: Pacioretty/Desharnais/Collberg; Prust/Galchenyuk/Thomas; Bournival/Holland/McCarron; Tarnasky/Dumont/Blunden

• habs-fan-84 says:

Interesting forward lines. Galchenyuk at Centre and a better look at Collberg. Also, looking forward to the Holland line again.

Should be a good one tonight.

• krob1000 says:

I wonder if they’ll keep a bunch of guys around until the Ottawa back to back or if this is a last hurrah for a bunch of them. At some point MT will likely wnat to go with something resembling the team. ANy word on PLeks and Markov…are they nursing anything or is it just they are too valuable to risk injuring?

• slyCH says:

It could be a last hurrah for many as management might have pre-determined send downs a la LL, regardless of production. It’s just the way it is.

• krob1000 says:

Kinda hoping in some ways that is the case…I am going on Wed to Ottawa for that game…and given it is a back to back they will likely save the better lineup for Montreal..but I am hoping for as many regulars as possible.

• Mr. Biter says:

In reality this year there were few if any spots to be taken by someone unless he had a pre season which made it impossible for him to be sent down and so far I don’t see anyone who has fit the bill except perhaps Pateryn.

Mr. Biter
          No Guts No Glory

• slyCH says:

I agree and was not trying to bring back the LL argument. In my eyes he deserves to be in AHL, was just saying these kids have to be fazed out to bring “the” team up to speed with one another soon.

Am I making sense? Not sure myself.

• Eddie says:

must be great for Colberg to get a chance to at least show what he can do with NHL top 6 players, and Thomas gets to play with Galchenyuk who makes everyone around him look great.

this is the opportunity some of the other prospects were hoping to get as well.

My first challenge of the season, to get my buddy’s bar to televise this game on a Friday at a Leaf centric bar! Hehe, thankfully I am in good with the bartenders!

20. slyCH says:

Re; the poll

Am I the only one to vote “NO” based on other factors?
    Here is my version of C option;

C: Wait for the season to play out, observe how Markov can compensate with his decrease in speed and mobility, hope for progress in his stamina, (MT manage his minutes wisely, don’t over work him) see if the injury hex has finally been lifted.

Personally I would love nothing more then to see Markov remain a Hab for the rest of his career. My biggest peeve towards this team is the fact Roy and Chelios never retired as life-long members of this team and Markov deserves to be one of them. (Koivu as well)
    If the season works out the way I hope it does for Markov then he can be re-signed for another two years in my mind.

• thebonscott says:

Would love to see markov retire a hab, but not economically possible, his agent will want 5 million per year, and with upcoming contracts, not a viable option.

Are you ready for the bee-sting, Subbang!!!!

• formerly known as the hc says:

It’s tough to simply say ‘yes’ or ‘no’. Yes if he stays relatively healthy and he is willing to take a significant pay cut. No, not ever, if he wants anything remotely close to what he is being paid now. Contractually speaking, there are many other fish to fry, this may be tricky.

21. krob1000 says:

The new Code:
    Fighter 1 : “How much do you weigh?”
    Fighter 2 : “About the same as you …been drinking 67 all summer”
    Ref: Are you guys talking nice?

Fighter 1 “Was that you who hit no 27 on Sept 27th last preseason?”
    Fighter 2: “Nope….but I am here to answer the bell for him for that hit”
    Ref: “are you guys both ok over there? let me know and I can delay a bit longer…talk it out, I’ll put my hand up for a circle encroachment..hurry the F&** up though all these people are booing me”
    Fighter 1: “Well sir would you like me to remove your helmet?”
    Fighter 2: “Yessiree Bob, thanks for asking…if you do I will do the same for you”
    Fighter 1:” Ahem….your jersey….I want to make sure it is tied down and then I’ll tuck it in for you…I’ll scratch your back if you scratch mine…deal or no deal?”
    Fighter 2 “deal”
    Ref: “3 seconds left guys…what’s the word?…everyone sign their permission forms?”
    Fighter1: “Let’s dance….”
    Fighter 2 “okeedokee”

Fighter one on way to box “sorry bout that I didn’t mean to hit you with that rabbit punch..thanks for helping me out with my equipment there!”
    Fighter 2 ” Nods head to accept apology…while checking with tongue to see if all teeth in place..thanks for everything..see you next game”

22. thebonscott says:

@Trisomy 21 If Diaz maintains a point per game average this year, then at the trade deadline Bergevin will get a good haul back in return for him.

Are you ready for the bee-sting, Subbang!!!!

23. youngwun says:

Are the lineups out yet for tonight?

24. Psycho29 says:

Happy 62nd Birthday Guy Lafleur!

I feel old.

25. Sportfan says:

So a bunch of teams have honored Mariano Rivera by giving him gifts and stuff, aside Boston was it necessary for the other teams to do it?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

26. krob1000 says:

lol…awesome by these fighters…took each others helmets off to avoid the penalties http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=432323

27. GrosBill says:

At the risk of taking a verbal beating, my take on Diaz.

There seems to be much discussion recently on HIO about Diaz, with grand claims made by both sides. He is a decent PP guy, he showed us that last year. He is a righty, in a group of many lefties. I agree that those are both valid reasons why he is an asset.

However, IMO he is not, based on what I have seen so far, a top 4 Dman. He has not shown me why he should play 18-20 min or more a game. A top 4 dman should be above average in his own end with perhaps exceptions to an offensive dynamo, Diaz is not either.

IMO if he gets top four minutes this year, we are going to be reading rants about soft D for all of next summer as well. To me his cons do not outweigh the pros enough for me to see him in a 18-20+ min a game role.

Taking cover now.

• krob1000 says:

I am surprised they are going the “top 4″ route. I would like to see Diaz paired with a stay at home guy. Gorges IMO is not a top 4 guy either. The teams biggest strength is having 3 scoring capable lines…so to me that means at all times there should be a puck moving dman on the ice to get the puck to them….forwards without the first pass are useless no matter how talented they are.

• Trisomy 21 says:

What if Diaz maintains a 0.9-1.0 point per game pace? will your opinion change? Maybe the summer has made me optimistic, but I seem to remember that’s how he did before his concussion. Maybe we should play it out and see how he does this year. I won’t disagree if he plays like he did in April.

• GrosBill says:

Ummmm, yes it would change my opinion. If he does that over a 82 game season he will likely lead all dmen in points and probably be a Norris candidate……Would I be shocked, yes. And also jumping for joy.

Last year had many players with some stats that will never be kept up over the long haul. Some Leaf player shooting % come to mind for example.

@ Phil C below; That is pretty much how I see it as well. Though I am not a huge fan of him on the PK but as some have said, perhaps with the right defensive partner.

• Maritime Ronn says:

The .9 point per game is somewhat misleading.

Diaz had 8 points in his first 6 games…and only 6 points in his last 17 games – then 0 points in 5 playoff games.
        In other words, 6 points in his final 22 games

• Phil C says:

I’m a huge supporter of Diaz. But I agree his minutes need to be managed to avoid bad matchups and to exploit good matchups. As such I see him as a 4-5 guy. I can see him being your #4 D-man because he can play 2nd wave of both the PP and PK, so his minutes add up.

• Maritime Ronn says:

First off, perhaps we really don’t know what Diaz can do, and how he can handle an 82 game season.

On that brutal 2011/12 team, he played 59 games.
      Last year he played 19 games – then the concussion – then 4 games to finish the season, and 5 more not so good playoff games.

Diaz could be used as what Chicago does with Nick Leddy.
      3rd pairing-2nd Unit PK…or an insurance 1st unit guy if either Markov or Subban miss time.

• GrosBill says:

+1 Ronn.

” based on what I have seen so far” is important here as well. Hopefully he can stay healthy and get 82 games in and put this conversation to bed. We will all have a better idea at the end of the year.

28. Trisomy 21 says:

I likely missed the discussion of the new rule about tucking in your jersey. Like Perron said, I don’t find it fair that the team gets penalized for such a silly thing.

Didn’t Gretzky do a half tuck?

29. thebonscott says:

Very interested to see how the defense performs tonight, gotta say i am surprised holland is still at camp, don’t see a future for him with the organization beyond hamilton.
    And i am pulling for aliu, he had potential, was drafted in round 2 by chicago, but was projected to go in first round. Apparently, he has a good shot but is not a great skater. Would think that Bergevin has a feel for him, apparently aliu convinced feaster to give him another chance in calgary, he did score twice in a game for them, nothing to lose i guess. Fingers crossed.

Are you ready for the bee-sting, Subbang!!!!

30. Sportfan says:

A new MLB article about the wild card race and drive to the post season!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

31. Mattyleg says:

This was posted on FB.
    Apparently it’s against the rules to remove your helmet before fighting now.
    These two managed to get around that obstacle by exploiting a loophole.

Clever chaps; looks like they’ll make fine lawyers when they finish their careers of getting punched in the face repeatedly.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• slyCH says:

Is that a fact. When did this rule come into effect? That is such a lame and pointless rule. Let ‘em take the helmet off for F sake.

I will give those two gents kudo’s for their creativity. Who say’s goons are not creative folks.

32. krob1000 says:

A d with Emelin, Subban, Tinordi, Markov, Diaz, Bouillon and Murray is a dynamic group….offense that may be unrivalled eith both PK and Parkov being elite point scoring dmen. Subban, Emelin …both elite open ice hitters. Murray and Tinordi are monsters down low…neither hads great foot speed…but as happens to Habs forwards they will do some damage to players on the boards. Diaz can fill in and be comparable to almost any other NHl teams 2nd best offesnive dman and Bouillon is pretty good at everything and is never really a liability. Sure he has the odd off game…and I will admit when he is off he is way off ..but those games are few and far between and he is generally pretty steady. Interesting d corps the team has assembled to be sure.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Murray becomes very important as a 3rd pairing.
      That pairing usually plays against the opponent’s 4th line that usually causes havoc and charges the crease.
      Last year the Habs had NO response for that.
      This year, they’ll have to deal with big tough Murray and perhaps Tinordi

• krob1000 says:

Look forward to the Campbell/Thornton 4th line in Boston that usually cycles the puck against montreal for 40 seconds in Habs end having a B swatted against the glass. Team has enough toughness now to give the guys a little more confidence. Emelin having to fight every time he hit someone hard last year was a little much….I was proud to see him willing to go big guys but at the same time it was like watching a live danger act…I was worried he was going to get hurt every time…was a weird feeling and I would prefer he not have to do that very often.
        Last year his dance partners were Evander Kane (maybe one of the best punchers in the soprt), Chara…one of the toughest out there and Foligno…another puncher who can catch someone….3 very scary figths he should not have had to have. Good on him but if you are George Parrosand on you tube….and at each of those games…you are likely looking at Kane, Foligno and Chara and reminding them of a day last season.

• Luke says:

Ahh, yes the old “Campoli/Kaberle vs a team’s grinders” match up.

I remember that fondly. One of my favourite D pairs. Resulted in Galchenyuk…

• Phil C says:

It is an interesting group. What concerns me is that they seem to be going with the same top six that really struggled down the stretch last year and into the Ottawa playoff series. In particular, I don’t really like the Markov-Diaz pairing. I wonder if Pateryn would be a better partner for Markov, let him retrieve most of the dump ins and outlet it to Markov. Diaz could then play with Murray or Bouillon. Let’s hope they try some things in the pre-season, but it looks like the parings are set.

• krob1000 says:

If you notice in my group…I do not have Groges even listed…and it is still an interesting group. I belive if you could get fair market value for Gorges you move him and you still have the best of all worlds. I get teh concern though…next year Bouillon is gone and Gorges fills that role…expensively but does it nonetheless. IMy only issue is where Gorges gets played onthe depth chart…against non physical teams I get it….against others I feel he is not a good enough puck mover or big enough guy to effectively start things off when pressured. He is a lion and never bakcs away but he doesn;t have the passing ability and stick skills the others do. Nice to se him shooting the puck much more the last half season though…earlier in his career he wouldn;t shoot.

• Phil C says:

I like Gorges, but I agree he does not seem to fit with this group anymore with guys like Tinordi ready to break through and Emelin coming back. Do you think they could move his contract?

• krob1000 says:

On team with a bigger d corps and without as much offense he is a great guy…like Ference in Boston. But with the group Montreal has I just don’t see the fit. Only thing I am wondering is if the team is thinking down the orad further that they will have a bigger more phsyical group and he again becmes more valuable.

• vegas says:

Why not pait up Markov with Gorges? they played together for a few years and Gorges seemed ok on the right side
        I’d really want Emelin to play on the left side

when everyone is back
        Emelin / Subban
        Markov / Gorges
        Murray / Tinordi-Diaz
        Boullion

• SPATS says:

Let’s hope they stay healthy, but I like your glass 3/4 full analysis

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

• SPATS says:

You forgot #26

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

• krob1000 says:

nope…in my mind if he became the odd man out when healthy both the physical and puck moving aspects are better met. It won’t likely be that way…as Tinordi will likely be the odd man out and not around if the others are all healthy but in a perfect wolrd those would be my top 7 after Christmas assuming health and that Tinordi is ready…which he may already be and definitely should be by Christmas.I know some would jettison Diaz over Gorges…not me. I see them in similar light defensviely and Diaz has more to offer in the other end. One distinct advantage Gorges has s his fearlessness in blocking shots…but sometimes that backfires too and Diaz probably realizes the dogfight he is and will hopefully start doing more of that himself.

33. rhino514 says:

Bouillon, Murray, Tinordi, Pateryn.
    Who are the top two right now? (disregarding the day to day injuries of the first two)
    It seems Bouillon is a good mentor, and even at his age still has wheels and is good one on one, so if one of the rookies make it, I would give him the edge as the other D partner.
    Murray to me seems like he would be more useful against teams such as Boston or Toronto.
    But why do you pay 1,5 million for a guy who will only start a minority of games? Clearly after Emelin comes back his opportunities will be even rarer. That´s what i don´t quite get.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Murray will be 3rd pair and Top 4 PK Unit

• Kooch7800 says:

Murray is a depth singing. He is big and physical and is a good shot blocker for the PK. If used correctly can be very useful. When Emelin comes back you will want both in the line up but Murray def a 5th or 6th D man.

Both tinordi and Pateryn will see time in the NHL. Pateryn is older than Tinordi and I think would have actually got more conisderation if he didn’t break his elbow last year. I could see Pateryn staying up with the big club and then Tinordi being brought up when there is injuries which there will be more of. Cramped sched again so injuries should be plentiful

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

34. Maritime Ronn says:

Nice to see the classy Habs ownership not trying to gouge the good people for the 2 Hamilton games in Montreal this season

The lowest priced ticket is $15.50
    There is also a package deal for $99 that includes 4 Reds + 4 hotdogs/and soft drinks

Tickets on sale at noon tomorrow.
    That team will be fun to watch this year

35. Mattyleg says:

Good morning friends and others!
    I have a lot of work to do today, so I’d kindly ask you to refrain from distracting me today.
    Thank you.

I don’t like the look of Detroit in the East.
    Whose stupid idea was that, anyway?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Not to distract you, but not sure if you heard or not. Virtually every player on the Habs has shown up to camp with beer bellies and completely out of shape. Most of the players are still hurt from last season. It is expected that the Habs will forfeit most of the first 30 games this season due to these unforseen physical traits found only on Habs players.

• Mattyleg says:

God, tell me about it.
        Thanks to Marc Bergeron and Michael Terrian, we’ve got a team of brittle players who have been ruined at various stages of their development.

Why do they insist on only signing players who always get injured all the time? I give up on this team. I’m never watching another game or talking about them ever again I’ve had enough mediocrisy and I’m TIERD OF OTHER PEOPLES MISTAIKES!!!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• krob1000 says:

Not Dd he has dropped few lbs drinking Canadian 67. Not to be negative or anything but if they suck for the first 30….then get healthy there will still be the 20 game gellin period. Team basically has to go 30 and 2 over those last 32 games to have a shot. Not looking good….not looking good at all. Beer bellies, lazy stretching and a delayed gellin period…uh oh.

• Lafleurguy says:

Clearly Detroit belongs in the “Atlantic” Division. And why would they want to play a bunch of games against Chicago?

“May you live in interesting times.”

36. habs-fan-84 says:

So, does Komisarek play tonight?

37. Lafleurguy says:

First!…..to mention how Malcolm was lit up by the Red Wings.

“May you live in interesting times.”

38. JO says:

I can’t wait til the 02 oct should the Habs loose to the Leafs. This site will erupt!!

Gravatar!!

39. Marc10 says:

Props to the Captain on his award for his work in the community. I hope he’s there for the start of the season. That would help a lot considering the long and difficult slog in the East.

40. Maritime Ronn says:

Re the game in Quebec tonight

It was reported yesterday that only 8,500 tickets have been sold in an arena that can hold 15,176.

Can’t say I blame the Quebec folks when the prices are between $62-$280 a pair…and for what? A mean nothing exhibition game with no Danny Briere or Carey Price? And who knows what Carolina will show up with…and they also don’t have a home grown

For that $280, you can have the NHL Center Ice Package and watch every NHL game all year and have enough money leftover to buy a case or 2 of beer.

I’m surprised they don’t have an Avalanche game scheduled for Quebec City during exhibition. With Patrick Roy coaching, and being the former Nordique franchise, i would think that would sell out immediately.

• Lafleurguy says:

Your marketing savvy is needed in Phoenix, and apparently in Fort Lauderdale too.

“May you live in interesting times.”

Not sure if you saw the link I posted the other day, but it appears Bettman has found some more New York money who evidently are close to purchasing the Panthers. I think UCe pointed out, that perhaps they take and pack the team up to Seattle!

• Lafleurguy says:

Saw your link, and the back and forth posts it triggered about nosebleed seats being around 5-10 bucks versus 180 rinkside.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Maritime Ronn says:

burli

That would have been a good one yet since Roy was named coach in late May, perhaps the exhibition sked was already made up.

There’s also a good possibility that teams — especially western teams don’t want to do too much travel/time zone change before the season starts.
        Colorado’s exhibition road games are against Dallas/LA/Anaheim.
        Apart from Phoenix, they appear to be the closest geographical rivals for the Avalanche

• Lafleurguy says:

Twice as much beer when you pick ‘em up in the States as I did in Vermont/Upper N.Y. state. :-)

“May you live in interesting times.”

41. The Cat says:

Injuries occurring already isnt good news…The teams problem vs Ottawa was that it wasnt resistant (it was hidden or had no time to manifest itself during the shortened season). And now I heard that Prust is so banged up from last year, that he’ll be lucky to play 40 games…Big trouble IMO

Any links for this news on Prust? I hadn’t heard this before.

• JO says:

Other than PK the Habs are not in physical shape and that’s why they get so many injuries. I can see Prust problem. He had to take on every team by himself last year and it’s understandable why he’s so banged up and probably will never be the same prust again … another player ruined for lack of help.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I’ve been busy this week so I haven’t read or heard every single update on the Habs. Where is this news coming from that Prust is still banged up?

Last we heard was that he is phenomenal shape after training like a freak all summer.

• Maritime Ronn says:

That is not exactly correct.

It was reported at the end of the playoffs that he was so banged up, that his recuperating time would be longer this past summer – something he confirmed at the end of the summer.

He is in the lineup tonight.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Aug 9 – Source: Montreal Gazette
      Note the date

Brandon Prust couldn’t work out for four to five weeks AFTER the 2013 season due to the rib injury he suffered during the playoffs.

Prust was projected to miss three to four weeks, so this sounds right along that timeline.

The good news is Prust says the ribs are “all better” and his shoulder, which he separated in early March, is also ready to go.

• Lafleurguy says:

Incomplete healing is common with shoulder injuries. The pioneer Sutter, Brian retired at age 32 due to on-going shoulder problems. Pat Falloon was even younger.

“May you live in interesting times.”

I wonder if the Oilers shouldn’t be a bit concerned with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (or the “Hyphen” as I like to call him) and the shoulder problems he has had for over 1 season now. There are still reports that it is still not 100% now.

• bwoar says:

I want to hire the HIO-bot to come here and post “Fat Balloon!” every time you mention ol’ Pat. His shoulder wasn’t the only reason he retired.

“thoroughbred”

42. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning all! Heard that Melnick and McGuire say that Pateryn will be the defenceman in the Hab’s opening day lineup and not Tinordi. I admit my experience seeing Pateryn play has been limited to a few games I’m still shocked. To me Tinordi has already proven his ability to play significant minutes. Perhaps the Kooch’s, Burly’s and Ben’s of this site can provide their eye witness reports of Pateryn?

Pateryn looked pretty good in Hamilton last season when healthy. I think the big thing with Pateryn is his age and maturity. Given he is two years older than Tinordi he is perhaps slightly more ready for the NHL than Tinordi from a physical and mental maturity perspective.

Having said that, lets see what MB and MT actually decide to do before taking the word of McGuire as gospel. The fact that the Habs finally have a choice to make in which young defenceman may make the squad to me is a sign of good things to come. Next year, there will be even more tough decisions for the team to make as it relates to young defenceman.

Lets also not forget that Beaulieu has been limited by injury, but they still hope to play him in preseason.

• Lafleurguy says:

The Boys Are Back in Town, The Boys Are Back in Town – Thin Lizzy.
      Jimmee, technically all our posts are silent unless audio is included! (insert LOL >here<).
      I always thought Kwai Chang Kane was the one who voiced, "When your words have no more meaning than silence, then silence is better."
      But then it dawned on me that Ed Spielmann was the show's writer. Way to go Ed.

"May you live in interesting times."

• huge_polar_bear says:

I think it would also be less detrimental to have Pateryn as a 7th defense man, playing occasionally. Thus giving a a lot of ice time to Tinordi in Hamilton. But again I’m sure they will re-evaluate the team 15-20 games into the season and if we are getting pushed around too much then they can call up Tinordi and have him play 2nd pairing minutes.

43. WVHabsfan says:

JF. Nice Scriptural reference ” weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth”

44. JF says:

Pre-season is boring and disappointing. We’ve all been on tenterhooks waiting for it to start, some of us even counting the days; then when it starts, the games aren’t really games, the lineup is full of rookies, and there’s still no real hockey to talk about. Hence the semi-hysterical reaction to the cutting of Louis Leblanc, the re-hashing of Price’s status among NHL goalies, the never-ending Desharnais sucks complaints, etc. Pre-season allows us to get some sense of how the rookies are developing, but that’s about it. And we’re icing another rookie-studded lineup tonight, with predictable results – more weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth tomorrow. The real season can’t start soon enough.

• Habfan10912 says:

Good morning Jane and all! It’s wonderful to wake up to such a logical post . It does seem that we here like to wring our hands over every small event. I guess it’s the price we pay for having such an avid fan base. I often wonder though if opinions such as yours really are the silent majority.

• 24 Cups says:

Good morning Jane – I rarely pay that much attention to training camp. I think it’s much ado about nothing. On a team like Montreal most positions are already spoken for in terms of the starting line-up. Injuries aside, the only spots open on this year’s team would be the 7th Dman and the 14th forward. Hardly earth shattering news.

The only other point I would make is that most prospects look great in camp while the established players stay out of the limelight. Those roles usually reverse once we get into October. This team will be worth discussing after the ten game mark of the regular season. Until then, it’s still golf season and time to enjoy the autumn colours.

45. frontenac1 says:

Hola Amigos! Some fine Saloons here in Glasgow. Cheap booze and a Fine Selections. How have our lads done in any preseason scraps?