Injured Prust won’t be in Habs lineup against Blue Jackets

The Canadiens held a morning skate Thursday in Brossard before facing the Columbus Blue Jackets at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Brandon Prust skated for about 10 minutes before leaving the ice and he won’t be in the lineup against the Blue Jackets.

“Brandon Prust will not play tonight,” coach Michel Therrien told reporters after the skate. “He’s suffering from an upper-body injury and will be re-evaluated on a day-to-day basis.”

It is not a shoulder injury for Prust, which has led to speculation it could be his ribs.

Ryan White will take Prust’s spot at centre on the fourth line between Travis Moen and Dale Weise. That is expected to be the only change to the lineup from Tuesday’s win over the Colorado Avalanche.

Here’s how the lines and defence pairings are expected to look against Columbus:

Galchenyuk-Eller-Gionta
Gallagher-Plekanec-Briere
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Vanek
Weise-White-Moen

Subban-Bouillon
Weaver-Tinordi
Markov-Emelin

(Gazette file photo/John Mahoney)

Habs vs. Blue Jackets preview, NHL.com

Game Day Report, Canadiens.com

Morning skate interviews (video), Canadiens.com

Game Notes

Roy emerges as a winner again in Montreal, by Jack Todd for The Gazette

Price was right for fans of Habs goalie at charity event, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Game Day Central, columbusbluejackets.com

Blue Jackets Xtra, Columbus Post-Dispatch

Habs need to match Blue Jackets’ work ethic (audio), Darren Dreger on TSN Radio 690

Surging Bruins take over top spot in THN Power Rankings, The Hockey News

Happy 66th birthday to Bobby Orr, Stu on Sports blog

1. RockinRey says:

Not a big fan of Jack Todd but interesting revisionist take on Patrick. Why Patrick was allowed to select the place he wanted to play is beyond me. And they threw in Mike Keane to boot!

And Imagine if they had never traded Chelios and what that defense would have looked like in the 90’s. Schneider, Desjardins, Chelios anchoring that team would have been something to see.

Ultimately it was very poor management of assets that did the Habs in.

——————————————————————————————————
    You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

• wjc says:

Economics played a huge role. Colorado was not in the division and were formerly Quebec, offered a young goalie as well.

However it came down to low dollar, high taxes, players salaries going up…..It did the Expos in as well.

wjc

2. boing007 says:

Every time Prust gets his groove on he gets hurt. Drat!

Richard R

3. Danno says:

SURVEY

How many points will the Habs need to make it to the playoffs and how many points do you think they will finish with?

They currently have 83 points with 70 games played and 12 remaining.

Blue Jackets
    @ Maple Leafs
    @Bruins
    Sabres
    @Red Wings
    @Panthers
    @Lightning
    @Senators
    Red Wings
    @Blackhawks
    Islanders
    Rangers

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

4. Habfan17 says:

I hope the Habs play the same way they did against Colorado!

At the trade deadline, I was of the mind that Bergevin should move out the UFA’s that did not fit in with the long range plans.

I must say, I am glad he didn’t and have had a change of mind. You never know what the future holds, so plan for the future and play for today. Bergevin is a player’s GM. There are players who I am sure will not be around next season. They were asked to help lead this team and they deserve a shot at the cup, even if their chances aren’t the strongest this season.

Bergevin made some solid moves bringing in Weise and Vanek, and I hope Vanek sees what it is like playing in Montreal, the electricity is unlike any other city. I am still not sure I would resign Markov unless he takes a 2 year deal @ $5 million per. Suban will eat up the money saved if Gionta is not resigned. I would rather take the money that was earmarked for Markov and give it to Vanek. Boullion, Murray, Weaver and Parros will probably be gone, howver their are restricted free agents to resign and they will eat up most of those savings.

With the higher cap, Bergevin could go out and get another player or two to fill holes and help support the young core. Bourque will probably be gone too if Bergevin can find someone to take him.

MB signed some undrafted free agents to fill specific needs, Timmins and the gang have drafted well, all in all, I hope the team does well and makes a strong push in the playoffs. They seem to be heading in the right direction.

Habfan17

5. Luke says:

WHY ARE YOU READING THIS? IGNORE IT!
    I’ve moved on already…

:D

What a Day.

I need a beer. Soon. I look forward to putting this chaos behind me and shutting the ol’ brain off and watching the Habs.

I just knew so much had been running smoothly for the last few weeks that world would have to correct itself soon. Too bad it couldn’t have spread it out over a couple of days.

So. What did I miss?
    Who sucks/is awesome today?

Oh, and I am so glad the Leafs lost last night. Regardless of whether it was more beneficial to Montreal for the Leafs to win or not.

The look on the face of the guy in charge of Chaos incident#1 today was well worth Tampa getting those two points.

6. jlgib1019 says:

Wow,Boullion in again,after aaneng away from being a -3 vs. Col. He’s a warrior but he shouldn’t be in the lineup vs ateam like Columbus. Neither should Weaver. Going full smurf on defense,great

jr

• Timo says:

I told ya. We will never see the end of Franky Boo now. Columbus plays tough… Murray would have been a lot better choice, but who am I to question the genius of Michael Therrien.

• johnnylarue says:

Murray with Subbie, though? Playing the big minutes? Recipe for disaster…

Slightly less insane to play Tiny with PK, but then you’re stuck with Weaver and Murray for a bottom pairing, which is a proven stinker.

Hurts to admit it, but Bouillon with PK might be as good as we can do until Gorgie comes back–provided the organization continues to insist upon making Beaulieu a better person in the AHL.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

PLUS, you’d have to think that Bouillon carries a bit of non-professional, historically-motivated, ancient-rivalry-fuelled animosity towards the Leafs. No bad thing.

• johnnylarue says:

DOUBLE PLUS, I support giving such a loyal, selfless warrior the chance to play out the end of his career (if only on a part-time basis), rather than suffer the relative ignominy of watching his last season unfold from the stands.

I get that he’s always been an MT golden boy, but he’s earned every second of ice time he’s been given–at least in terms of effort.

At least we can all agree he’s not exactly Bourquing it up out there…

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Agree 100% Johnny.

• frontenac1 says:

I would pair Murray with Emelin. Markov and PK, Weaver and Tiny. Cube is gassed.

• johnnylarue says:

I dunno, Front. Yemmy needs a guy who can at least partially cover for his numerous brain farts. I don’t think Murray can be that guy.

• Danno says:

The Cube was Captain of Les Predateurs de Granby when they won the Memorial Cup in 1996 with none other than Michel Therrien as Head Coach.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

7. jlgib1019 says:

What a shame,along with Gally the heart and soul of this team. I was hoping that White was going to be another prust. Instead he has become a combo of Tom Pyatt and Andreas Enquist. i don’t know how he went from our most physical forward to our softest. Big loss if Prust can’t stay healthy

jr

8. Gehlsen says:

Pruuuuuust! NoooooooooOOOOOOooooooooo!

This guy can’t catch a break….man.

Les Habitant!

9. SteverenO says:

its nice to see that the Pacioretty , DD, Gallagher trio was finally broken up, and as a result the team actually looks like it has the potential to score more than 1 even strength goal per game.

I am still not sure why MT doesn’t realize, and deploy, what has been BY FAR the best two line this team has fielded this season… Briere, Plekanec and Gionta.

Lots of talk about DD and his minutes. It should be noted that EVEN when he was NOT contributing on offense early in the season, and continuing to today DD has been VERY good defensively. and , in my opinion, that is why he deserves to be getting the (even strength) minutes he does.

On that note , let<s not forget Rene Bourque., His even strength offensive production has been nothing short of horrendous this season but defensively he has been excellent. He does not hurt the team when hes out there and he should be considered for some spot duty , but only on the 4th line. I would consider using him in a rotation with Moen.

When Prust gets back… these are the "optimal" lines; (based on my analysis of the data)

Patch/DD/Vanek
    Briere/Plek/Gionta
    Prust/Galchenyuk/Gallagher
    Moen/Eller/Weise
    (Bourque and Bournival as fill ins for Moen and Weise)

On defense Weave is getting the job done and can play (as long as he is not paired with Murray) until Gorges returns.

Bouillon is getting the job done, but Beaulieu and his younger, faster legs and puck handling skills would be a significant upgrade .

Its time to start giving Subban some Penalty Kill minutes- we will need our best player on the ice in the playoffs when short-handed.

I also believe that Gallagher should be given a look when short-handed- his ability to anticipate, and intercept passes, and his speedy acceleration WILL lead to some short handed goals which can turn a game around.

Its also time we tried Briere, and Galchenyuk at CENTER on the PP. Its hard to believe that we have gone through such a bad spell on the PP and never even tried using Briere , who has made a career out of producing goals on the PP or Galchenyuk who is arguably our most offensively skilled center man in that role.

it is also time to give Markov some R&R spots. so that he will be at his best in the playoffs. Giving Markov one or two nights off between now and season end will pay dividends in the post season, and also allow Beaulieu to get a proper evaluation in a "featured" role.

regards,

Steve O.

regards,

Steve O.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I like it. All of it.

You’re hired.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Habspark says:

I see where you’re going, and like it all, except I’m not sure Eller is a fourth line guy… Gallagher on the penalty kill is a novel idea, not sure it will happen but in my mind’s eye I can definitely see him scurrying off for a goal or two..

• Ozmodiar says:

” these are the “optimal” lines; (based on my analysis of the data) ”

Curious to know what data was analyzed to determine Chucky was best for the 3rd line C role. :)

I think he played one game @ C this year.

10. Habspark says:

Completely out of context on this thread, but this is for Dunboyne and others who may be interested to know… Originally in hockey you could only pass backwards, like rugby; and, our horizontal stripes are also taken from the style of the rugby shirt… There you go, my two pennies for the day spent!

To re-iterate from an earlier message, I really wish Canada would get into rugby, they’re the only missing with Australia, New Zealand and South Africa being huge.. And if any of you have English/Scottish/Irish/Welsh?French/Italian roots, the RBS Six Nations Tournament is a must watch – it’s when we all get medieval again on one another!

• frontenac1 says:

My son played high school rugby. He loved the game. First game I saw him play it looked like organized chaos. After the game I asked him who won. He said, “weren’t you watching?” I still can’t figure it out but it’s much more enjoyable to watch than soccer.

• Habspark says:

Cheers to that Frontenac! Habs first, rugby a very worthy second!

• frontenac1 says:

When I was in Scotland last year, they would have both Rugby and Soccer on in the Pubs. All the guys would be sitting in front of the Soccer TV and all the gals would be watching the Rugby. I’d sit with them.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

I laugh at everything you say. Keep it up! :) :)

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Was that in Glasgow? Might have been different in Edinburgh (of course it could depend simply on the pub). Either way, that’s kind of weird about the women. Glad you had somewhere nice to sit, Front. Could you understand what they were saying?!

• Habspark says:

Ha! Really?!! What is the world coming to?! Well done you, and rest assured I would have been with you – shame I wasn’t, I am always ecstatic to meet a Habs fan over here! Re your son, I spend my life trying to make the Brits see what an amazing game hockey is.. They do like it, but I guess just as the other way around, until you play it’s always something of a mystery… I played both, I was useless at both, but couldn’t be happier to have played those two sports of all in the world!

• Habspark says:

So Dunboyne… I was at university in Edinburgh… For the first day I genuinely thought I had just made the biggest mistake of my life – I might as well have been in Kazakstan – no joke!! I got it in the end, but my favourite guy was this French dude who learnt his ‘English’ in Edinburgh – that accent I will never forget!!

• frontenac1 says:

Yeah Mike, it was Glasgow. I could understand most of what they were saying. They liked the husky guys. Not so much the scrawny soccer lads. Great time and wonderful gals.

• Mavid says:

both my sons played Rugby and they loved it, my son had longish hair, so he team mates grabbed him and shaved it all off..said he would get it pulled. They were late getting back from the first game because one of the kids had to go to the clinic…for a bite mark in his head…crazy crazy sport..but like I said both my sons loved it..played it all through high school

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Habspark says:

Ha!! Funny isn’t it, you see over here they just think hockey players are nuts – though they properly respect their toughness.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Are you still there, Habspark? Perhaps a microscopic summit — a Celtic Summit — is in order? Or a North Sea Summit — invite JJ of Tuurku! And Norway Hab.

• Habspark says:

Certainly am, and always up for a summit (if you’re reading Putin, take heed!)… I await your opening gambit… this thread or anew??

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I played rugby (and football) against Ottawa schools, Mavid. Not too long a bus trip (buses had just been invented).

• Habspark says:

I guess the problem in Canada is that it is just too cold. But, I’ve always held high hopes for the boys in BC. That said I am slightly torn as I wouldn’t want to take strong, able men from hockey, but it is a different skill set, though whether that can be spotted in a 13 year old kid – not sure if I could make a good call!

• Habspark says:

Sorry Dunboyne, got the wrong end of the stick there, but see where you were going with that now…Take away the bleu and blanc, and you’ve got my face now!! But yes, am all for a microscopic celtic summit!!

• Rugger says:

In 36 years of Rugby I have only bitten someone once – it was a Concordia player, I had the ball in the middle of a maul and he had my thumb and was bending it back away from the ball so I nipped his hand and he let go (this was mid 1970’s before AIDS, I wouldn’t bite anyone now). Thru the many injuries and pain, I would not trade a second of time spent on the Rugby pitch.

• Habspark says:

Ha! Gotta say, I never nipped anyone… But, I do remember when I was about twelve tackling the meanest guy in the year above me: We both lay still for a couple of seconds afterwards.. I was so shocked I had actually brought this guy down, I looked up at him and he looked shocked too… It was only then that I realised he was only shocked because in the force of the tackle I had managed to send a snot rocket all over his thigh – he punched me for that!! In many ways not my proudest moment, but I got that sucker down!!

• Rugger says:

Those are the best tackles, when neither you or anyone else expects it. Unfortunately I will be missing the spring season this year – our daughter is getting married in May and I need both legs and at least one arm to walk her down the aisle.

• Habspark says:

Congratulations! I guess holding on to a cauliflower ear might not be make for a great photo!!

• Mavid says:

The bite was in the back of the guys head..my oldest son was not a big guy so he was one of the runners I used to cringe when they would pile on him…there was another kid who ended up with cleat marks in his head too

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

11. Maritime Ronn says:

Poster B gave a great round up below about the Habs junior prospects this year and their stats.

How do the Habs drafted junior prospects stack up against the other NHL teams?
    The web site Hockeys Future leaves much to be desired.
    Does anyone know, or is there a site that exists and is up to date?
    Curious about the youngsters playing in the Canadian junior leagues.

12. Danno says:

This one goes out to Dunboyne Mike who inspired me with his joke the other day…

————————

Weise

(With apologies to Frankie Valli)

I solve my problems and I see the light
    We gotta plug and think, we gotta feed it right
    There ain’t no danger we can go too far
    We start believing now that we can be who we are

Weise is the word
    They think our love is just a growing pain
    Why don’t they understand, It’s just a crying shame
    Their lips are lying now the Habs are real
    We start to find right now we got to be what we feel

Weise is the word
    Weise is the word, is the word that you heard
    It’s got groove it’s got meaning
    Weise is the time, is the place is the motion
    Weise is the way we are feeling

We take the pressure and we throw away
    Conventionality belongs to yesterday
    There is a chance that we can make it so far
    We start believing now that we can be who we are

Weise is the word
    Weise is the word, is the word that you heard
    It’s got groove it’s got meaning
    Weise is the time, is the place is the motion
    Weise is the way we are feeling
    This is the life of illusion
    Wrapped up in trouble laced with confusion
    What we doing here?

Is the word
    Is the word
    Is the word
    Is the word
    Is the word

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

13. dpeet says:

http://www.dailyfaceoff.com is where u find who starts in nets. Carey will start tonight..

As well, way to go Tim , get better soon , Habs will require a player of your talent soon..

TSN Reports Price starts in net tonight.

15. 2014 Norris Trophy winner, "Dan Hamhuis"! says:

Hey Dunboyne, I replied to your reply down on the thread about meeting players.

16. SnowManHabs85 says:

Man I hope this game ends in overtime, but with Habs winning of course. I’m just hoping to see Leafs gone out of playoffs… GHG! :D

17. UKRAINIANhab says:

Go cuse! Class of 2000!

18. Donkey Hoat says:

I think this is the first time I’ve said this all season: I like those lines.

19. Danno says:

Keep the good vibes coming his way…

Tim Bozon is now out of intensive care according to RDS

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• CJ says:

You bet Danno!

Thank you for sharing!

Cheers, CJ

• BJ says:

Great to hear. It was touch and go for quite a while. Lets hope he is well on his way to recovery. Is anyone familiar with recovery time and can he regain enough strength to play hockey again (although I realize that its certainly not a priority at this time). I’m sure once he regains his strength he will want to live out his passion. In any case continued good thoughts your way young man and best wishes to the family and friends as an experience like that must be exhausting at best.

• Captain Pike says:

Positive vibes for Tim!
      Great news Danno.

Some curious comments by Brodeur on how the Devils handled the Parise situation. He sounds pretty sour about it, wonder if indeed was hoping to have been traded at the deadline.

21. Dunboyne Mike says:

Good afternoon, all.

There’s smoke and mirrors with the Prust injury — agree with all those happy to see White jump in. I also seriously hope Prust takes his time coming back.

Great discussions, this and last thread, on the Kilhorn/Ranger hit. For comparison on the general topic of what constitutes a dangerous hit in contact sports, here’s an 80-sec clip from last Saturday’s rugby international between Scotland and Wales. Scotland’s Stuart Hogg decks the Welsh player Dan Biggar who has just kicked the ball.

Even though rugby makes allowances for the tackler being “committed” to the tackle, the ref didn’t like it and initially gave Hogg a yellow card (10-minute penalty, team short-handed). When the ref saw the replay on the jumbo screen, he called Hogg back out onto the field and gave him a red (ejected from game, team short-handed).

Following a hearing he was suspended five weeks, reduced to three because of a public apology, remorseful attitude, and acceptance of the verdict and no intent to appeal. I’ve never seen a rugby ref change the card after watching the big screen.

If you watch the clip you’ll see some familiar features: the ball (read puck) is gone; Hogg leaves his feet; Hogg targets the head.

Lastly: am I imagining it, or are the whooshing sound effects the same as the ones the NHL uses for its discipline briefings??!!

What do you think?

• TheCanadianDagger says:

From the blindside. Man that would hurt.

A comment from a soccer fan: “In football that’d have just been a free kick and maybe a yellow. These public school types need to man up a bit.”
      A SOCCER FAN!

• kerrgte says:

the NFL is the real pussy sport.

They can’t run for more than 30 seconds before yet another whistle, and they wear pads on every square inch of their bodies. Absolutely nothing

Rugby and Hockey are for real men

• Dunboyne Mike says:

My prophecy is this. If we continue the present trajectory of revelations about head injuries, and ways emerge for public health concerns to trump the energy of corporate profit-making, the logical conclusion is that gridiron football as we know it will cease to exist. You cannot make it safe for heads. Rugby is also vulnerable. Hockey, on the other hand, still has it within its power to reduce serious head injury to a tiny number of instances. It will require massive culture and corporate change, but remains possible. Gridiron is doomed.

• mrhabby says:

you ever play football chump.

• Stimpy007 says:

ya really, i say no! Rugby is tackling and football is hitting. Huge difference. The odd time in rugby there are hits but not like football. Wayyyyy rougher.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

What?
      Burly, I just spent the last 20 minutes composing a 1400-word reply about the relative toughness of hockey and rugby! All for nothing?!

• Habspark says:

Cheers for sharing that Dunboyne – Habs are top of my list, but rugby is the next one down! I watched the match, and yes it did remind me of a hockey hit.. General consensus this side of the ocean (I’m not in Canada) is that it was a badly timed (incredibly late!) challenge, but the Welshman wasn’t blooded so a yellow card could have been sufficient… I thought the ban was a bit steep.

By the way, I really wish Canada would get more into rugby, they’re the only ones missing out of Australia, New Zealand and South Africa… And if any of you have English/Scottish/Irish/Welsh/French/Italian roots, the RBS six nations tournament (ended last weekend) is a brilliant one to watch… It’s when we all get medieval again on one another!!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Hey Habspark.
        Presume you’ve seen that Canada and Ireland are in the same group in next year’s World Cup. The last time they played in Ireland (a game Mattyleg and I recently figured out we were both at), I went along not sure which of my inner competing loyalties would come out on top. I left it to instinct and found myself very vocally shouting for the maple leaf.

Were you around for previous Cups when Canada played South Africa? They were always WARS! Something to do, I think, with extremely tough Canadian rugby players refusing to tolerate Springbok dirty play. The Boks always won of course, but they got beat up. I loved it. I also remember a game in torrential rain against the All Blacks.

I disagree with the consensus on the Hogg hit. He left his feet and, significantly, made no attempt to wrap Biggar. Therefore it wasn’t a tackle.

Cheers

• Tighthead says:

The no attempt to wrap is what jumped out at me. If he came in with a hard form tackle, low, it doesn’t look too late. But that was a complete mess.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

A mess is right. And not innocent, I don’t think. Someone said (but I didn’t check) that Hogg has a record in this. To me it looked no different from the “message-sending” that we see in hockey.

But if you’re a tighthead, you probably like seeing a fullback getting his hands dirty! Have you a 6 Nations allegiance?

• Tighthead says:

I couldn’t call it innocent. We have all made some bad tackles but that was dirty.

I go for Scotland, and against France.

22. B says:

Hab’s Prospects – Final CHL regular season stats:

Hudon 57games 26g 50a 76pts +9
    Grégoire 65games 35g 34a 69pts +25
    Reway 43games 20g 42a 62pts +13
    Nevins 64games 19g 29a 48pts +10

Fucale 50games 36-9-3 2.26GAA .907save%

Vail 67games 32g 51a 83pts +29
    Crisp 67games 28g 27a 55pts +11
    McCarron 66games 14g 20a 34pts +11

Bozon 63games 33g 36a 69pts +9
    Thrower 42games 12g 27a 39pts +9

Before the season started, how many thought that Grégoire would lead the Hab’s CHL prospects in goals? I didn’t.

–Go Habs Go!–

23. DipsyDoodler says:

I see the argument that Desharnais is “stealing” minutes and points from other players is making a minor comeback. Like, if he wasn’t getting that point per game it would be going to someone else.

Reminds me of the PQ.” If the Anglos all leave the Quebecois will get all the jobs.”

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• TheCanadianDagger says:

The NHL is fixed, and each team has a pre-determined amount of points that they will score each season. And how i’s distributed amongst the team is up to chance. Those are Chucky’s points!

If were going to trade DD while his value is at its highest, it is imperative we not have this argument go the way of the Dodo bird.

• The_Truth says:

Ya, its silly. Desharnais is almost a PPG player over the past 45 games. He is where he is because he grabbed his chance and is performing. He also is a very skilled offensive player and has been clutch. If we had traded away DD and Pleks like many had wanted at the start of the year, to put Eller and Chucky in the top two pivots, where would this team be?

Out of the Playoffs, that’s where.

• krob1000 says:

If it is so silly why is is that EVERY first line center the Habs have had in the last decade put up numbers comparable or better than DD in that role? In fairness to DD I expect his totals to improve even more as Vanek/Patches duo is best wing tandem Habs have had in over a decade.

• The_Truth says:

All centers meaning Pleks and Koivu, maybe Gomez that first year. along with DD twice? Well, because they are/were very good players.

They are there for a reason, because they are good offensive players. Other guys are not, because they have never shown they could do it in lesser roles, so never got the promotion.

Look around the league and see what some of the top players do. They do it because they are good. Saying if we put someone else in that role they would do the same doesn’t make sense.

• krob1000 says:

Yes meaning Koivu, Pleks, Eller,Gomez only had 1st line role one year…and outpaced DD…then PLeks got eh pp back and outpaced DD. How do favourable matchups, best wingers, 1st unit pp minutes and ozone starts not add up?
            I honestly have no idea how people do not understand this?

Youa re telling me tha DD would get 50 pts playing with Travis Moena nd REnee Bouruqe all year. Playing the occasional 2nd line pp with Bouillon or Gorges anchoring the second half?

Really? you honestly believe that?
            You honestly beleive that Pleks, BRiere<Eller or Chcuky could not put up[ copmparable numbers with top two wingers? BOTH HAVE ALREADY DONE IT AND PROIVEN THIS….this is not made up[ stuff…it has happened. We saw DD struggle when taken out of that role…we saw others thrive in that role…if that is considered thriving.

Right now DD is playing great…but let's not kid ourselves…anyone who plays center on a pp with PAcioretty, Subban,Markov and anyone is goign to get points. Anyone of the guys I continually mention will get points with teams top wingers nad most favourable situations.

This does not mean DD is nto a good palyer…it jsut means the others area s good….then you ahve to look at other factors. Chucky growth adn edeelopment, what else do the palyers bring to hte table other than offesne, contract,etc,etc,

• piper says:

I admit that DD has turned his season around and is playing well but I don’t see the Habs going far in the playoffs with a 5’7″ top line centre. I would trade him at the draft if his value is decent.
        As for Plek he could have brought some good return in a younger player to grow with the other good young players we have.

• krob1000 says:

In 2012-13…the HAbs 3 centers with Eller and PLeks getting more prominant offensive roles)
      They scored at the following pace over the season (was only 48 games so I projected to 82)

12/13 Eller =53 pt pace
      12/13 Pleks =57pt pace
      12/13 DD = 48 pt pace Total 157.8 pts.

13/14 DD= 53 pt pace
      13/14 Pleks= 43 pt pace
      13/14 Eller= 27 pt pace Total 123 pt pace

• Ozmodiar says:

The only C on the team that would likely out-produce DD in his role would be Pleks, but he’s got other responsibilities.

Chucky isn’t ready yet, or they feel he can wait… or he’s better on the wing than the other centers. So, no point in moving him to C.

So, I don’t see where the “minute stealing” is happening either. Would be nice, perhaps, to experiment with Chucky @ C on the PP, but they’re trying to win games. I don’t think they’re up for experimenting at this point in the season.

24. CJ says:

I’m looking forward to another big night from the fourth line. No, I don’t necessarily mean on the scoresheet, althought that’s always a bonus.

I would regard tonight as a successful outing for the fourth line if they can sustain offensive zone pressure through an effective cycle, don’t take undisciplined penalites, protect their teammates as needed, get in on the forecheck and lay the body.

White and Weise have been good together thus far and I am expecting much of the same tonight. Their speed forces the defender to make split second decisions and they are capable in all three zones. Notably White is a good faceoff man and has helped with the penalty kill alongside Moen.

Maybe I have a soft spot for White, but I am hoping that he has a great game. It might not always be pretty, but there are very few times where you could ever question his work ethic. I am sure that tonight will be no different.

Go habs! Cheers, CJ

25. Strummer says:

Rich Peverley underwent heart surgery- or in NHL-speak- “treatment of an upper body injury”
    ____________________________________________________
    It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

26. DipsyDoodler says:

OK how about this: a holographic puck. Detectors in the players’ sticks would communicate with a computer that generates the image of the puck on the ice surface.

Also, while we’re at it, holographic players. Each player would play in a pod, wearing computer goggles, and the whole game would be recreated on the ice.

Advantages include no more travel problems for West coast teams, no more head injuries, double the number of paying fans as each game could be broadcast in both teams’ arenas simultaneously, computerized and error-free refereeing, plus a whole bunch of stuff I haven’t thought about.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

Ever since Coderre set him straight, my man DD has been on fire.

28. B says:

CHL playoffs kickoff tonight. Connor Crisp and Sudbury play Barrie at 7:30 PM. The remaining Hab’s prospects start their playoffs tomorrow night with McCarron and the Knights playing Vail and the Spitfires. Also on Friday, Hudon and Grégoire play Shawinigan who gave Baie-Comeau some trouble this season. Fucale and Halifax play Charlottetown, Nevins and RN play Quebec while Reway and the ‘Piques play Cape Breton. Sportsnet is showing Fucale’s game tomorrow night at 7:00 PM.

–Go Habs Go!–

29. scrotchland says:

great news that huddon is out of his coma and slowly on the mend.,
    now if only they could wake borque from his.

30. Maritime Ronn says:

Having difficulty buying into the Prust injury being shoulder/ribs related… unless something happened late in the game not picked up by the cameras.

In the hit that took place around the 14 minute mark in the 1st period, it was clearly an issue with the fingers or hand/wrist lower arm.

On this video (skip the fight) at the 1:20 mark you can see it clearly on the close up.

If it was ribs or shoulders, he never makes that diving play that lead to the Moen goal halfway through the 2nd period, and there would be no way he could have scored on that one-timer at the beginning of the 3rd period.
    Then again, hydromorphone….

Probably a red herring, in order to “try” prevent other teams from hacking at that wrist his first game back.

• krob1000 says:

That may be why he didn’t drop his mitts for the Gordie Howe…as soon as he got the goal and assist I was ure he would go after it. Heck he may have actaully hurt his hand originally in the game vs Ottawa hitting Michalek in the helmet.

• 2014 Norris Trophy winner, "Dan Hamhuis"! says:

Did you know that Gordie Howe only had a 2 Gordie Howe hat tricks. Do you know who has the most in his career. Hint, he retired in 2009 with 17.

• krob1000 says:

Shanny? Tkachuk?

• 2014 Norris Trophy winner, "Dan Hamhuis"! says:

Yup, it was Shanny. I had the pleasure of sitting next to him on a flight from Raleigh to New York the day after the 2011 All Star game. Nice guy, I wanted to give a few tips on suspensions, but figured I should keep my mouth shut instead.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Always cool to hear stories about meeting players. Thanks (your name is too long to print!).

Nearly always, even — sometimes especially — the nastiest players turn out to be really good guys.

Exception: a few years back someone posted a story here about Marchand being unpleasant about an autograph for a kid. Only anecdotal (but I will cut that bollox no slack!).

• 2014 Norris Trophy winner, "Dan Hamhuis"! says:

Dunboyne, I changed my name during the Olympics in protest of PK not playing. Anyways a friend on mine that I have know for 40 years has been a linesman in the NHL for the past 12 years and got to do the Allstar game in Rayleigh. I was there with some of his friends and parents and man did we get to go places and meet people that the average fan could not see or do. I got pics with over a dozen current players and about the same retired players. As well I shared a few pops with Archie Henderson, his brother Don was the other linesman for the game. Archie played 23 games in the NHL years ago and was a mean MF. Check him out on youtube. He fights Probert and a couple of other tough guys. I had drinks with Kyprios, Millard and Maclean a couple of nights too. We got to hang out in the officials room after the skills and the game and a lot of players had to walk right by, so it was great for the pics.

31. Sportfan says:

I think its time for Chucky to be put at center and put Eller on the wing, I don’t know what will happen with Lars, but Chucky is part of our future and should be playing in his best spot now.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Steeltown Hab says:

The minutes that have always made sense for Galchenyuk have been Desharnais’ with that not changing and Desharnais actually play well finally. This causes a big issue.

Eller’s minutes aren’t ideal for Galchneyuk. He won’t do much in a defensive role centering Gionta and Eller on the W who couldn’t be a more unnatural fit there.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• Sportfan says:

SO really we should have Plek, Gally and Chucky so he gets more minutes?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Steeltown Hab says:

Eller on the wing doesn’t work…not oppose to giving Galchneyuk a shot at center over Eller but if the line is Eller – Galchenyuk – Gionta. Better off putting him on the wing with EGG or Galch – Plek – Gallagher
          ———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• Hstands4Hockey says:

I’m really hoping DD “gets the flu” and has to miss a few games so we can see Chucky play Centre between Patches and Vanek.

I feel DD would never get his spot back.

——————————————————————–
      Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
      @Hstands4Hockey

• The_Truth says:

The thing is, where is it written that at this time Chucky would be better off at center? He hardly has ever played that position and is still learning the defensive part of the game. Never mind his face off ability is terrible.

Break him away from Eller and put him with Pleks and Gally and that could really be a boost for him.

32. mark-ID says:

I was hoping maybe some of you could tell us some stories or of some of the emotions of the last cup run in ’93. I was only 8 at the time, and can remember building forts in my basement while my dad was watching the playoffs that year….although i played and enjoyed hockey….I didn’t pay to much attention to the games. Only when I was 11 or so did I start watching the games with real interest.

I see the clips of all the amazing overtime goals…..and I just can’t imagine how intense it must have been to go through that playoff run. I would be freaking out if that kind of playoffs happened to us today. It seems so long ago…..but I can imagine that the experience must be still fresh in some of your minds. Wish I could say the same…..

I’m going to be spending three weeks in Sweden from June 3rd till the 24th, so if we somehow do surprise and make it to the finals……it will be interesting for me to try and catch the games at 3am :)

• mark-ID says:

LIttle side not…..my dad was the big Habs fan, that’s how I became one. Sure enough he is a huge Sens fan now…….but somehow the son is the one who stook with the team….even though it was the terrible teams of the late 90’s that I really started paying attention to.

• jimmy shaker says:

This is all I have to say to that great run. I was 14 and remember how the forum was just electric every game even just watching it on the telly. Paul dipetro clinching it all sliding on his knees. But Carbo’s tap on Roy’s pads, glove, helmet etc before the game started just like on the video was something I loved seeing every game. I still just got goose bumps!

Shaker out!

• Maritime Ronn says:

The Patrick Roy ” WINK” gainst the Kings in the final when Tomas Sandstrom skated by him.

• johnnylarue says:

It was a bit of a blur for me too, as the Cup Final took place during the same two weeks as my Grade 11 final exams. Suffice to say, I was cramming at twice my usual speed in order to be finished in time to watch the games.

The 3 things I remember most distinctly:

1. The McSorley ‘illegal stick’ penalty/Eric Desjardins hat trick, which without a doubt helped to turn the series around. (I found out later that it was Guy Carbonneau’s suggestion to have the stick measured, which further cemented Carbo’s standing among my all-time favourite players.)

2. Overtime. It’s hard to talk about in any logical way, but the general feeling of those playoffs after a while was that it somehow became scientifically impossible for the Habs to lose in overtime. I think other teams began to feel it too, and this gave the Habs an important psychological edge.

3. Patrick Roy. He had some up-and-down seasons following his miraculous Cup run in ’86, but the ’93 playoffs came to define ‘clutch goaltending’ in my mind.

All told, it was extremely gratifying, though I wish I’d been able to watch more games without a brain crammed full of utterly useless calculus equations…

• Phil C says:

Forgot about the stick incident, that was a huge turning point for sure.

I think Wendel Clarke beat the crap out of McSorley in the semis that year. I remember him on the front cover of the newspaper with a huge shiner.

• kalevine says:

I’ll try
      The Habs sputtered into the playoffs a bit and as a result lost home ice advantage in the first round. That was quickly forgotten when they handcuffed the Nordiques in Game 1, leading 2-0. In the last 2 minutes they blew that lead and lost in OT, which was to be their only OT loss of the post season. It was near devastating. When they fell easily in game 2, it seemed like there would be no short run, never mind a Cup run.

The rise started humbly, with a pivotal OT win in Game 3 that Roy had a lot to do with. From then until the start of the Final round, though individual games were often hotly contested, the series’ themselves were one sided. It was notable that this team had a killer instinct. Three out of the 4 series ended with decisive wins, regardless of how hard fought the earlier games had been.

Everywhere there were Roy’s heroics, but especially in OT where there were more than a few times the streak seemed over only he would find a way. Of course, the clutch scoring played a huge part, with memorable goals by almost every member of that lineup. One game it would be Paul Dipietro, another Gilbert Dionne, another Kirk Muller, another Stephane Lebeau, another Eric Desjardins, another John Leclair, another Brian Bellows, another Guy Carbonneau and another Vinnie Damphousse.

The Cup Final was the other series that seemed in the bag for the opponents until the famous stick measurement that led to Eric Desjardins’ incredible performance. The Kings sagged the next two games but managed to come back in both to force OT, and well, they might has well have conceded then and there.

I remember thinking that, although even then it was clear the Habs were not a dynasty like they had been, that it wa squite a miracle to win 10 straight in OT, and that it would never be bested. Maybe one day it will but another Habs cup win seems even more likely to happen first.

• mark-ID says:

Did you guys have confidence, say in round 2 or 3 that they would win it all?

Were you also praying that the Islanders would beat the Penguins, so we wouldn’t have to face Lemieux……not sure if he was a Habs killer or what?

• kalevine says:

I can’t say I was super confident. Even with all the OT wins, I feared the string would break.

I can’t remember being afraid of the Pens but it seems like a good assumption. I do remember that the Leafs almost made it to the final, and to this day their fans swear that, unlike the Kings, they would have beaten the Habs in the final. IN 1986, I know we were happy that the Oilers had been eliminated by the Flames. They had, after all, won the last 2 Cups and were to win 3 out of the next 4.

• SPATS says:

I was 29 and drumming in a hard rock band “Sex & Violins” in a club in Old Montreal on the night we won the cup. We went on late because everyone was watching the game on the projection TV. You think Standard Definition sucks compared to HI Def? Try watching standard def on a projection TV in a reasonably well lit resto/bar between sets of kick ass rock… but I digress… When we won, the owner bought the crowd a round and we rocked into the wee hours as the party was just starting…

As for the leadup to the finals, some of us were disappointed to be facing Gretzky, because it was almost a Habs vs Leafs final. Imagine the party in Old Montreal if we beat the Laffs for the cup!

OOH AAH HABS ON THE WARPATH – Dutchy rules!

• mark-ID says:

Haha I bet…..I can’t bear to watch games that aren’t in HD anymore. I feel like you can’t see the puck

• Phil C says:

I wish I remembered more about it. I was finishing school that spring so I was a little pre-occupied. I remember them being down two games to the Nordiques and they seemed done. Then they won game 3 in overtime and started to get on a roll. I remember everyone really hoping for a Toronto-Montreal final, but Gretzky spoiled the party.

They also had really favourable draw that year. After beating the Nordiques, every team they faced was beat up or tired and all the top teams were upset. I have a Nordiques fan friend who still brings that up almost everytime we talk hockey, how lucky the Habs were that year, how it was a cakewalk to the Cup and they didn’t deserve it, etc. He has some scar tissue still… ;-)

I also remember that team really moving the puck well and lots of offensive support from the back end. Very good team in transition. And of course Roy being Roy. Demers really had them playing as a team.

• mark-ID says:

It’s funny they had those cards in which they had to carry around at al times, I forget what they said on them. But just goes to show the type of team bond they had going on.

• TheBoozer says:

I still have some of my ticket stubs for that Cup run. To be early 20s in Montreal during that time! Four of us would cram into my Honda CRX si and drive up from Massena. I distinctly remember one night, sitting on one window sill, with a friend sitting on another, and holding a Habs flag/banner over the car…while driving, of course. We eventually were pulled over and politely asked to get back in the car. That was after the first OT win. The place had howled when the OT goal was reviewed…but then went nuts when it was announced a good goal, especially after an earlier goal had been disallowed.

I still find it intriguing that every game against the Sabres went 4-3 in OT….talk about a bummer of a sweep for the Sabres!

Wore my Carbo jersey to every game.

• kalevine says:

actually, the first one was in regulation I believe. Not that this eases the pain. I still think it’s worse to lose in 7 when 3 out of the 4 losses were in OT, and no wins were in OT. That happened to the Habs in 2011 against the Bruins, and, I remember clearly, in 1985 against the Nordiques

33. Sportfan says:

God do I miss Gorges, Bouillon shouldn’t be play at all -_- I like that white is back in it will still be a good fourth line.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

KROB !
    Great thinking out of the box my friend!
    But I wonder what the boards could be made of to work.?
    A type of rubber or compound, strong but resilient? Or are you thinking of a sponge material.?
    Very interesting sir.

• krob1000 says:

Not really sure Ian…I never really thought about until I responded to Phil C’s post. I have read and many have said make the boards more flexible..but why boards at all I got thinking? Not sure where you take it fromt here…..probably a mat type thing…Witha solid center in it….picture the big gym mats but with a solid center so they don;t get knocked all over and so you can still fix glass to it.

• DipsyDoodler says:

It’s easy to do: a computerized puck that detects the out of bounds and automatically changes its trajectory.

It would be a bit dangerous for the front row crowd.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

35. Steeltown Hab says:

Really hurts watching MTL mess up Galchenyuk’s development.

– Drafted after being hurt an entire yr
    – Stated from the start he will play C
    – Plays RW all yr in OHL during lockout
    – Plays majority of rookie season at LW
    – Sophmore season no time at C (minus 1 game against St. Louis)
    – Limited PP time if any, and averages 12 mins a game.

That’s how you develop a supposed franchise center. Nathan Mackinnons avg. ice time just under 17 mins.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• lach60 says:

I do agree with you, but I don’t believe Mackinnon is a fair example either as he is clearly a better player than Galchenyuk.

It is upsetting to see a guy like Seguin have 67 in 81 in his sophomore season, but his numbers are comparable to Huberdeau’s who was also a number 3 pick.

• johnnylarue says:

Not gonna rush to the organization’s defence on this since I do think Chucky could handle more than he’s been given, but I find the frequent comparisons to MacKinnon a bit disingenuous.

MacKinnon is in a different league, plain and simple.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Just comparing the usage of an 18 year old Mackinnon to a sophmore Galchenyuk not the same player.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• Mr_MacDougall says:

It is tougher than you make it seem given the expectations this team has to make the playoffs. Given DD is signed long term and can only be productive while playing with Patch in favourable offensive matchups that duo needs one of the Habs top offensive RW and therefore gets top PP minutes.

Now, to get Galchemyuk to Centre in key offensive situations he needs to be given all of DD’s situations.. And line mates. I agree that this would be the best scenario for Galchenyuks development, and let’s face it, unless he becomes an elite player the Habs are in real trouble on forward heading into the future.

The problem is, how do you build a line around A young centre while having a one dimensional centre such as DD as a centrepiece? That is why he has Ben on the wing in my opinion.. Short term thinking for immediate success, how else can a coach plan if he wants to keep his job?

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• The_Truth says:

DD has been the best center on the team since the first part of the season and is getting better as the year moves along. All this favorable matchup stuff is fantasy. On the road the opposing team has last change and DD’s line has to face who the opposing coach has put out. They get more offensive zone starts because they are the best offensive line by far.

To say DD is one dimensional is not looking at the facts. He is an offensive guy first and foremost for sure, but his plus minus is +4, while Eller and Chucky are -16 and -12 respectively. DD is doing fine at both ends of the ice.

I don’t think Chucky should be thrown into 1st line center status. That could ruin the kid before hes ready. That is short term thinking and NOT long term. I do think he and Eller should definitely be broken up, because it definitely isn’t working. Chucky should be with Pleks and Gally IMO, playing with the best all around center on the team.

• The_Truth says:

Nobody ever stated from the start that Chucky would be playing center. With DD, Pleks and Eller already at center that was never a guarantee. the management was trying to shelter him from a more demanding position, where he didn’t have to worry as much about defensive responsibilities and face-offs. Who says, Chucky would be better off at center anyway? I think it would hurt him to struggle with the extra responsibilities.

He actually is playing 14:30 mins per game and that is fine for a young player who has had some injury issues this season. I think we all know Chucky isn’t a Mackinnon. Even Mac started with like 12 mins a game, until he gradually showed he could handle more. Chucky is on that path as well.

To say Montreal messed up Chucky’s development is just making statements without any real substance. Chucky is only 20 years old and is doing well for a young player with 2 seasons of Jr before the NHL. He will be fine.

• Phil C says:

There’s more than one way to develop a star. Drouin is still in Junior but I have no doubt about his future ability. Datsyuk and Zetterberg didn’t even come to the NHL until 22 years old, they turned out alright.

Galchenyuk seems to be handled the way Boston handled Seguin, which didn’t hurt him. As well, I think you are overvaluing the importance of playing time. The off ice and off season work is probably more important at this point. The game play helps with his decision-making but that’s it. All other aspects of his development can be addressed without more playing time.

36. habstrinifan says:

Briere-Plekanec-Gallagher:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Vanek:

Galchenyuk-Eller-Gionta:

Weise-White-Moen:

LOOK at our line up folks. Some real ‘big names’ reshuffled. Which is why I made a post March 19 6:14 pm which contained the following excerpt.
    =========================
    “Maybe I am seeing things. But I am hoping I am not.. and that there is now a renewed emphasis on “what the HABS CAN DO” rather than “what they need to stop the opponent from doing”.

Forward march with this trend.. if it is one. HABS as a team and the players individually will reap developmental benefits.
    ==============================

I see this team and I think 93 team. Not real big names but a very ‘complete’ team. And when you add Bournival and a healthy Prust and maybe a Parros-like call up.. this freakin line up looks formidable in its diversity. To quote John Bellyful, ” now we have a little seltzer in our pants”.

Also,as I opined in that Mar 19 post, this transitional phase may be better staged with Subban-Bouillion than the more defensive Subban-Gorges. Don’t worry Gorges will get his TOI when he returns.

Well done… Therr …. no no I can’t say it.

TIMO do the honours for me please.

37. BriPro says:

There are several positives and wishes to draw from tonight’s contest.
    The first time the Habs met the Jackets this year, it was DD’s relaunch.
    Several on here wanted his head. Based on the game against the Avalanche, that’s now water under the bridge.

Plex scored two the last time the two teams met. And he’s in a bit of a slump. Hopefully, our little pit-bull #11 will get him going.

The Jackets are boasting a 6-3-1 in their last 10 as a resurgence. I’m hoping our guys can stop them in their tracks.

38. Forum Dog says:

I like the way they’re handling Price right now. Obviously it would be good to see him play most of the games, but with all the work he’s had this year (Olympics included) and the type of injury that he seems to have (lower body – read knee/groin/hip), it is much better to let him ease back in and play more intermittently until he is either a) back at 100%; or b) stopping post-season pucks.

The points they’ve banked the last three games have been huge and will give them room to rest him here and there down the stretch.

Also like the way the lines are settling in. It only took two/three trades and 70 games, but with 12 to go they have time to continue developing some chemistry.

All good stuff. Unless they fail to show up tonight. Then it will be back to the drawing board……

• johnnylarue says:

Agreed re: Price.

I also think Prust would play with bruised ribs if he had to, but they have the luxury of letting him get as healthy as possible going into the playoffs.

If we skate like we did against Colorado, we will do just fine against Columbus, and we must stay out of the box!

An interesting read on Shooting Percentage and how the current NHL Shooting Percentage isn’t the “True” shooting percentage.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

That was an interesting read. Have to agree that true shooting percentage is a more informative statistic. Also agree that blocked shots and ones that miss the net are more likely to result in turnovers. The only thing I’d wonder is if it’s,considered a pass or dump in or shot when players obviously miss the net on purpose…

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

41. jimmy shaker says:

R,J. Umberger, the perennial hab killer, is a healthy scratch tonight! YES!

Shaker out!

42. habsr4ever says:

Prust has a rib injury? If it was ribs he wouldn’t have finished that game. Has anybody had a rib issue before? It hurts like $h1t. Then again I am a wimp so maybe it is. Its his shoulder – look how he was bent over just like he was the MANY times before this and it was his shoulder(s). We need him for the playoffs – even though he will never be 100%. Let’s get him to 80%. White in is a drop off but at least not too much and he usually plays well once he is re-inserted into the line-up. I would plunk Bourque in sooner or later as well for Moen. So glad we are sticking with Tinordi on the back end. Let him develop up here. Jackets are HUGE – so I would rather see Murray in instead of Weaver tonight. But if it means bumping Tinordi over to the right side – forget it. Holy smokes do we miss Gorges. He certainly solidifies our top 4. Frankie Boo is marginal at best. I have never seen a Dman play so far off to the side on a rush and be so out of the play in the offensive zone like him. He pinches and thinks he can score. its like DUDE – your shot sucks….you bring ZERO Offence…..play DEFENCE and take the middle of the ice away. How he gets 22 Minutes per night is mind boggling. I hope tonight isn’t a let down game after the huge win on Pattie Roy night. Vanek is streaky so maybe he pots two more tonight. We will need 4 to win my spidey sense tells me. Jackets are ticked they lost to the Canes and with thier huge forwards and they way they work so hard and forecheck – I can see our D getting exposed and of course lack of size. Hopefully bourque is starting to get hungry. he was awesome against the sens in the playoffs…..he has a pretty good track record for PLAYOFF hockey….when he is focused and wants to play – he has all the tools in the tool box.

43. krob1000 says:

I am going off the board here again….come playoff time I think it is possible that Chucky may be on the outside looking in. I am hoping CHucky picks up the pace but without offense he is not really contributing much and the fact taht he is with Eller and Gio…makes me wonder if that isn’t a spot that eitehr Bouruqe or Bournival might muscle their way into on him. Bourque was great along with Eller last yea rint he playoffs..they elevated their games.BRiere is known for that…so who else in thelineup is vulnerable? To be effective IMO Chucky needs pp time, top linemates or to be playing in the middle….this may very well happen like it did with Seguin. Maybe not…but just throwing it out there…many people jump on my virtual back for saying it!!!

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Chucky was pretty good in the playoffs last year too. I think he’d have to lose the spot with poor play during the playoffs.

• krob1000 says:

I don’t disagree but as I look up and down the HAbs lineup…the one guy who I see who is most vulnerable right now is Chucky. That could change in a heartbeat…he has that ability but right now he looks to me to be on the bubble when everyone is clicking and playing the Canadiens brand of hockey they are currently playing. He isn’t the most aggressive on a forecheck (Vanek can get away with that), he does however, have both Gio an Eller with him which may help him out as they are both great skaters and aware on both forechecks and defensviely. Still though….once Bournival and Bourque start trying to wiggle their way into the lineup that is the spot I see as the most vulnerable. There is also an opportuniy for Chucky to move up the lineup as well with Pleks…if BRiere slips and CHucky excels. Lots of diff’t scenarios but I thought I would see what others thought of the possibility

44. ont fan says:

Toccet on Vinny, I wouldn’t have made that commitment to Vinny. We brought him in to be a 2nd line center. Now he is playing wing. I would have put that money on defense. I think they got caught up on a bidding war.

45. BriPro says:

Again?
    D*mn porcelain doll.
    Fire MB! Fire MT! Put Prust on waivers!

46. ont fan says:

Toccet on Vlnnys season,’Vlinny was brought in as a 2nd line Centre and now he is playing wing, we are hoping he scores some big goals down the line.’

47. Ghosts of the Forum says:

If Prusty was able to finish the game as well as he did, I’m really hoping this means it’s not a serious injury and they’re just being cautious.

Who would’ve thought a season ago we’d be able to say we can afford to miss him for a few games because we have plenty of depth on the fourth line?

White or Bournival can easily step in here.

48. krob1000 says:

In responding to Phil on the other thread it hit me…what is the purpose or need for hard boards at all in hockey? HOw would the game be different with an out of bounds? No just firing the puck up the boards…possession would be more important. You could still have padding but what is the purpose of the hard boards? really..what benefit is there? soccer balls go out of bounds, footballs, basketballs, field hockey balls, field lacrosse balls. If this is too extreme than and they want everything contained…fine…but do the boards really even need to be hard? Would softer boards lead to more offense because hard off the glass or boards would not be an option? It would be interesting to see a compeltely reinvented game of hockey. Teams would try and hit the net, you lose possession if you shoot it out like any other sport….I know this is dramatic and hard to imagine myself but I always look for the simplest solution ofr (opr at least try to). The boards are the main culprit IMO in most hockey injuries….so why not work to fix them?
    The dman fires the puck hard off the mat, it is kept in, doesn’t sound too bad does it?

49. Iceberg84 says:

This is just wild fan-speculation with no basis in reality, but I thought it would be fun to point out that the Canadians have lost 17 games by a single goal and another three by 2 goals. Vanek scored 21 goals for the Islanders and Buffalo.

Just imagine how different the standings might be if he’d been on our roster from the beginning of the season. If you toss in another 21 goals to the Canadiens’ total, all of a sudden our offense isn’t so impotent and we’re right up there with Tampa and *shudder* the leafs, not to mention the middle-tier teams in the West. Surely another 21 goals would have helped turn the tide in at least a few of those games. Say half those goals were scored in games we would have won anyway, if even a THIRD of them were in those tight games, we might have another 5-8 points (and that seems like a conservative estimate to me), which would have us competing with Boston and Pittsburgh for the 1st seed. I know this is a fairly pointless idea, but what else do we fans have to talk about between games?

I guess I’m just saying, as we all know, the standings don’t tell the whole story. It’s only the team that takes the ice mid-April that really matters. So for the first time since the trade – and in spite of those three recent losses- I’m feeling a lot better about our chances of making some noise in the post-season. I’m not saying plan the parade route or anything, but as a usually pessimistic fan, I can say with confidence that I don’t expect the Habs to be out in 5 in the first round this year.

I was hoping they would replace him with Bournival… Him and Weise on the 4th line gives habs a very fast 4th line. Moen, when he finally makes it across the ice can poke the lose puck in the net after Bournival and Weise wrecked enough havoc in front of the net.

Columbus is a tough team… Prust will be missed.

51. sCOTT1243 says:

I like White, although he is not the best fighter I hope he steps up if needs be. Hasn’t dropped them since his haircut :)

Tonight is an opportunity for White to further prove he is a genuine NHL player, he should be motivated. What a benefit that we had White to call in and not recall Blunden, Nokelainnen, Nyqvist etc…..

53. ianism says:

hey MT, give Galchenyuk a bigger role… I’d like to see him switched with Brière.

• jimmy shaker says:

I like danny B where he’s at. He is going to prove his worth on here to everyone come the second season I truly believe. But I do think a bit more ice time for both those lines is needed. I think the 2nd and 3rd line should be up about 15 min each and the fourth, about 8 or 9 minutes.

Shaker out

54. shiram says:

Can we say Prust is injury prone?
    I know he plays tough, but still.

Hopefully he gets on the mend quick.
    Someone should send a spiffy nurse outfit to Marie-Pierre Morin.

55. Mattyleg says:

Me.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

56. Mr_MacDougall says:

Not a single player on that list (Savard aside, but he was injured) is a franchise player.. Or a guy “you’d have to tell your grand kids about”

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

57. habstrinifan says:

Come on you know I mean big as in the dynasty teams. Players like Carbonneau/Muller Damphousse werent in their ‘prime’ so to speak. Their careers/roles were changed/rejuvenated mostly by that season. Savard was even less a player. And Leclair was still a concern in the eye of Habs MNGMNt, which they resolved by… well lets notgo there.

58. kalevine says:

true, it is a recurring theme
    and when we get to the playoffs, he sometimes has nothing left to defend the opponents’ top lines. That has happened more years than it hasn’t

59. Say Ash says:

Ruined my bracket!

60. RH says:

Crap!! They lost to Dayton???!!!!?? Wtf?? So much for me winning the $1B that Warren Buffet put up for the person that finishes with the perfect bracket!

61. Sportfan says:

All this talk of sour makes me want sour candy haha

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

62. Dunboyne Mike says:

I never fully appreciated how much like car crashes football collisions are until I stood on the sideline at a Steelers practice when they played an exhibition game in Dublin.

I played 5 years of highschool and knew it was a tough sport. But holy moly — with their unreal combination of size and speed, all these guys are freaks of nature. Incredible. And they pay a big price.

63. Gerry H says:

onehundredand EIGHTY!

64. Dunboyne Mike says:

(Who you addressing there, Storm?)

Problem with the human head in football is that there is NO helmet that can protect the brain. This is because the brain is loose inside the skull and rattles around, banging off the sides with every impact. At least, that’s my layman’s understanding of it. The effects are cumulative, and the symptoms don’t always become clear for decades.

65. Cal says:

Football, Rugby, Hockey and Soccer will eventually fold under the weight of civil suits for brain injuries. So, enjoy them while you can.

66. Dunboyne Mike says:

Sorry Storm. The only way the helmet companies can protect brains is if they persuade football players to allow them inject padding into the skull the same way you inject fibreglass insulation into your wall cavities!

67. Dunboyne Mike says:

Don’t you think hockey and soccer can still save themselves?

68. Dunboyne Mike says:

Storm! What’s wrong with hitting the old REPLY button?!

69. BJ says:

I have had at least four concussions, one in baseball, one in hockey, one in a car accident and another as a photographer who took a slapshot in the head (result 35 stitches and 1/3 of my skull has no sensation or little as it cut a nerve in half. But the real bitch is the dizziness (everyday) and its difficult to be in noisy, busy places. It puts a bit of a damper on the social life. I’ve spoken to a number of players who are now retired and have similar symptoms. So whether they come from any sport, accidents etc. the end results are not fun.

70. Dunboyne Mike says:

Okay, you got me, I’m no expert on helmet technology. But you tell me: who’s providing or paying for the facts and stats that have persuaded you that things are significantly better? Surely not anyone connected to the industry itself, right?

71. The Jackal says:

It’s nap time pal, you should be sleeping nao k.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

Amen!

73. UKRAINIANhab says:

Yea…

74. UKRAINIANhab says:

Hey dude, can you reply below the comment you are replying to. If you can’t, try installing chrome maybe. Cheers.

75. Dunboyne Mike says:

No vested interests then?

I could never see Universities or Pro Teams providing anything but the truth in these situations Mike. Have no idea why you would think otherwise…… I mean what does a University have to gain in an amateur sport….. I am sure their long term interests are in the players best interests.

77. lach60 says:

Haha that was perfect. Good laugh.

78. Dunboyne Mike says:

Very sorry to hear that, BJ. Would love to know more but this is probably not the place. However, could I ask, were you young (maybe you still are, of course!) with any of them? And what influence does it have on your view of hockey?
    You sound strong. Keep it up.
    Cheers

79. Dunboyne Mike says:

No need to Edit Burly, ok?!

80. frontenac1 says:

Didn’t get my first helmet until last year of pee-wee. Some bogus piece of sh#t you could fold up and put in your back pocket after the game. The only good thing about was you could wear your toque under it. We played outside.

81. Dunboyne Mike says:

You’re right, good news indeed. Anything that offers increased protection. Cheers Storm.

Stormy is probably using the great mobile app that HIO created. Doesn’t allow you to do that… why? Only the Gazette IT department knows.

83. Dunboyne Mike says:

Front! You posted about walkabout in Kingston. My parents retired to there so I used to know it well. Used to bring my Dad to a really nice pub — walls completely covered in beermats from around the world — down near the harbour. Can’t remember the name….

(Kingston drivers are SO nice and polite and not in a hurry!)

84. frontenac1 says:

Yeah, Lots of great Irish saloons here Mike. Was that pub near Olympic Harbour or Confederation basin?

85. Dunboyne Mike says:

Never knew the names of the harbours! But it was near the bottom of Princess. Folks lived in Cataraqui Woods. Am I right about polite drivers?!

86. frontenac1 says:

That would be The Merchant McLiam! A fine Saloon. The drivers are old but polite. Just don’t trust their signaling.Saludos!

87. Dunboyne Mike says:

Then it’s settled. Pints there, some day.

88. frontenac1 says:

Anytime amigo! It would be my pleasure.

89. UKRAINIANhab says:

Yea and 99.99% of people come for the comments etc

90. UKRAINIANhab says:

If your on ipad you should be able to reply.

91. Mavid says:

The App does not work at all..I keep getting error messages, I use the regular internet site..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

92. Danno says:

Isn’t there an App to fix a crappy App? :lol:

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

93. Gehlsen says:

I use Samsung s4…boat browser with desktop display….works great.

Les Habitant!

94. Dunboyne Mike says:

Post of the day!

95. UKRAINIANhab says:

Just 20 comments above.

96. D Mex says:

Too funny … or, maybe not … :-/

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

97. Dunboyne Mike says:

Every time I’ve done that they have always hit me back. I remember this one guy, Ed Jones, nicknamed Too Tall. So he says “WTF?” and I’m in hospital for 2 months.

Thank god you didn’t say Ranchman’s, Stormy.

99. boing007 says:

Burn their ten gallon hats. Yeehaw!

Richard R

100. johnnylarue says:

C’mon, Timo–we’re talking several months from now. Plenty of time to get your chaps dry-cleaned! ;)

101. Danno says:

Dare I ask?

Assless chaps? :mrgreen:

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs