In case you missed it

Jeremy Roenick had a very human reaction to seeing his former team win the Stanley Cup.

• Jonathan Toews played hurt

• Hawks face cap issues

• Hossa: One and done
• Adam Burish calls Chris Pronger the biggest idiot in the league
• In other news, Jonathan Toews gets a $1.3 million Stanley Cup bonus and Hawks president John McDonough says Dale Tallon will get a ring.

3Vfo5xSAnfo

1. bostonantifan says:

A great release and shot velocity don’t mean a thing if you can’t put the puck in the net.  Guess what, AK can’t!

I am still tired of seeing ALL the best and brightest young stars play on other teams. Sick of it in fact.

Don’t talk to me about PK. Chances are he’ll be ruined by JM anyways. The Habs need a change of philosphy.

Next season one team I will be keeping a close eye on will be the Bolts. I watched many Bulldogs games last season and quite frankly they were more entertaining than most Habs game I’ve watched in the past 3 years.

3. sholi2000.com says:

Soccer would be an awesome sport if it were played on ice, a puck instead of a ball, hit the puck with a stick instead of your foot and they used skates instead of cleats.

But it’s fun to watch my little fella play it………

They Call Me Shane

4. K-hab25 says:

Football, Hockey and Basketball

5. smiler2729 says:

Born and bred here, raised to know about this country and proud of it to the death.

My dad’s parents were from Germany and England, they emigrated here in the late ’20s to Ste-Jovite, QC, never once did we hear them even mention being anything but Canadian.

And yeah F Timo.

6. showey47 says:

From what i understand obyrne took the purse to get the phone that had a picture on it with huet being with another women who wasn’t his wife. So i would say huet was involved.

7. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

“If steps 2-5 are followed by one team and steps 1-5 are followed by
    another the latter team has the edge.”

It depends on how well steps 2-5 are done. Otherwise, Pittsburgh would have beaten Detroit in both finals and Ottawa would have beaten Anaheim.

“Many teams are now doing 5 of the 5.”

But how well? Every team has successes and failures in all facets of team development. I don’t think that we are in the lower half of the league in terms of the choices that have been made, but that is an opinion. We definitely have room for improvement, but I can’t think of a team that hasn’t made serious mistakes in building their roster (yes, I am including Huet and the RFA debacle as serious mistakes. Chicago was able to win a cup despite them, which is encouraging.)

8. krob1000 says:

hmmm….going rate for Kaberle will be a first rounder and a serviceable player …..going rate for hammer will be ??? We gave up a 2nd and a thrid to rent Schneider at a higher salary and he only has one dimension …..me thinks you are wrong and that there is a market for Hammer…..whether that is on deadline day or before is the only real question. Heck if not for our cap situation I would want him back….perhaps we have to buy him out….who knows but I very much doubt he suits up for us for all of next year…..I would put the odds at about …oh…..slim to none. The only way Hammer stays is if we trade Spacek instead…..which is an interesting but not talked about option but his salary is also too high buit not quite as bad…..but still pretty bad but he plays the same game pretty well.

9. ManApart says:

It’s a nice dream, I wish it could come true.

If steps 2-5 are followed by one team and steps 1-5 are followed by another the latter team has the edge. Many teams are now doing 5 of the 5 whereas the Habs have historically been doing none of the 5 effectively.

Just look at the Habs track record in round 1 over the past 20 years.

The Habs seem to focus on steps 4 and 5 most of the time thinking that’s all that is needed. It’s as if management also believes the CH equates to the “S” on Superman’s chest. Just don the jersey and watch as a mediocre player is transformed into the ghost of Canadiens past.

11. ManApart says:

Hmmmm, who would you rather have, Hammer at 5.5 million or Kaberle for 4.25? How about keeping Marleau for a million or so more than Hammer? Keep dreaming, we’re stuck with him.

12. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

My mistake on the cap hit, thanks for the correction. I also agree that I would rather have Hamr than Schneider. As for the rest, I hope that you are right, but still don’t see it happening before the deadline. Guys who have contracts like Hamr’s are a last resort, injury replacement type deal. I don’t think that there are many GMs looking to build this summer with him.

13. punkster says:

I know I just shouldn’t go there but I have to ask: What’s a “real Canadian”?

FREE TIMO!

14. krob1000 says:

Schneiders cap hit was 5.75 million at the time http://content.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/salaries/teamdetail.aspx?team=16&year=2008-09 (and he is far more one dimensional than hammer at this stage…hammer can still eat bog minutes…Schneider was brought in as a pp guy and no more)……Hammers contract only has one year on it adnd that is about how many more years they have left with their core guys to ahve a real shot…….I don;t think they can sign someone who can do what Hammer can for half and Boyle needs another vet back there.  The odds are slim to none this happens but I wouold throw it out there if I were the habs as Sj has long had interest in Halak, Blake’s departure does infact open the door for Hammer and I do consider him useful but we are in bigger cap trouble than SJ.

15. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

But it clearly isn’t one of 5 necessary steps when 2 of the past 5 cup winners didn’t do it. Yes, Anaheim was an expansion team that had high draft picks. Look at the cup-winning roster and you will see that not one of them was on there. Getzlaf and Perry were picked 19th and 28th overall, the year after they lost the cup final. They didn’t put together a cup-winning team until they were able to develop their prospects (none drafted higher than 19) and sign and trade for the crucial pieces.

I’m not just being contrarian here. I agree that steps 2-5 are vital. Franchise players are not exclusive to the top 5 picks, if we can accomplish steps 2 and 3, I think we’ll find that.

16. Storm Man says:

It was O’Byrne and Kostopoulos.

17. SeriousFan09 says:

Luck put Chicago where they are now with their 2 Franchise players. If the Pens hadn’t screwed up and selected J. Staal in 2006, they might not have their outstanding captain and Karl Alzner instead of Patrick Kane if they’d not won the 2007 Draft lottery jumping from 5th to 1st overall.

Sorry but the Draft is too unpredictable to guarantee Habs would acquire a franchise player if they bottomed out for 2 years, or even 3 if enough other **** teams around the league followed suit. Then factor in how few people can actually take the pressure of playing in Montreal and we’re further sunk. 2011 is alraedy being called a soft year, if 2012 was the same, some bottom teams will continue to struggle because they couldn’t acquire a franchise player despite two more years of failure.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

18. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

Yeah, but Schneider’s cap hit was half of what Hamr’s is, and that was a deadline deal. I think that Roman would be able to help most teams in the league, but with a 5.5M cap hit, he’s just not worth it. If he was, we wouldn’t be dreaming up ways to get rid of him. Now that they have Nabby’s contract off the books, I don’t think that San Jose is going to want to add another albatross when they can sign a FA who can do what Hamr does for about half the money. If they do make the trade, they would know they are doing us a huge favour, so no way is Clowe a part of that deal.

I hope that PG is able to work some magic and prove me wrong.

I never said only. I have always maintained that it was only one of 5 necessary steps. A top draft pick if not two is the way to start the rebuild.

1) Draft high (often if possible) including trading for picks as opposed to trading picks away (The Habs do more of the latter than the former)

2) Draft well in later rounds or at the end of the 1st round

3) Develop players and don’t rush them (PK shouldn’t be guaranteed a roster spot next season)

4) Trades

5) Signings

The bottom line is that a franchise player is needed.

Anaheim BTW was an expansion team and had their fair share of early picks They also picked Getzlaf and Perry in 2003 and not A Kostitsyn.

20. SeriousFan09 says:

Changing a CD in a locker room apparently is the litmus test in Toranna for the C, oh and not being a 3rd-rate talent like everyone else on the team except Kessel.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

21. SeriousFan09 says:

Dark days of the franchise as well, very few options back then and Saku Koivu captained the 1998 Finnish Men’s team to a Bronze at the Olympics as well, he had some leadership credentials beforehand. The true issue was Koivu rarely had a good supporting cast of leadership through his time in MTL, it always fell right to him.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

22. Eliisa says:

To watch? Just hockey. What else is there? My TV won’t be on for months now.

To play? Do they have to be team sports? I mountain bike a lot, play tennis (I have a mean backhand) and either softball or squash.

23. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

Wasn’t Huet involved in the Tampa purse snatching incident. I heard he had done something inapropriate and was caught on the cell phone camera O’by went after. So inappropriate that he was traded 2 weeks later.

24. SeriousFan09 says:

Hockey, hockey and hockey.

Did I Mention hockey?

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

25. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

There have been 5 cups awarded in the salary cap era. 2 of them have gone to teams (Anaheim, Detroit) that weren’t built off of their own high draft picks. Combined with the number of teams who have bottomed out for a long time and done nothing, I don’t think that is strong enough evidence to indicate that tanking is the only way to win a cup.

26. punkster says:

Hockey, golf and sex. Not necessrily in that order.

FREE TIMO!

He was also leading the scoring race that year. It doesn’t change the fact that I think he was named captain too early in his career.