In case you missed it

Jeremy Roenick had a very human reaction to seeing his former team win the Stanley Cup.

• Jonathan Toews played hurt

• Hawks face cap issues

• Hossa: One and done
• Adam Burish calls Chris Pronger the biggest idiot in the league
• In other news, Jonathan Toews gets a $1.3 million Stanley Cup bonus and Hawks president John McDonough says Dale Tallon will get a ring.

3Vfo5xSAnfo

1. Habsrule1 says:

Hey Ian,

You don’t think Gionta has earned it? He has played with heart & soul and the grit & determination usually reserved for guys twice his size.

Go Habs Go!! “I don’t have a copy of Georges’ code, I don’t know what it is,”. “I think the code is that you’re here for your teammates. It’s not your code, it’s our code.” – Bob Gainey

2. Fansincebirth says:

Bazinga!

Toronto chooses their Captain via the short straw method, we don’t…

no promise, has to be earned first my friend.

Our captain will be named only after he earns the honour. No one has earned a thing yet.!!! A Mtl. Captaincy is not given out very easily, unlike some mickey mouse clubs.

5. pmaraw says:

lol good point.  but still…

The mistake that year was not following Carbo’s desire to keep Price in the minors. He should’ve been brought up for the playoffs or near the end of the season after dominating the AHL and riding the bus and not getting fat on 2 AM poutine.

7. andrewberkshire says:

Because taking our cues from Toronto would work out so well.

8. Game 7 says:

If I recall correctly Gauthier promised us a captain by the draft, so he’s got 2 weeks to deliver.

9. Habsrule1 says:

I think there is a market, and the key is to get as little a cap hit as possible in return. Perhaps we sweeten the pot with SK74, a pick or a prospect?

Thanks for all the help with my soccer question people and rabbits.

11. Habsrule1 says:

I was a Huet fan, but amazing goaltender? I’m not sure that I’d go that far….seemed like a great guy though and it would have been cool for him to stay and share the duties with Price for a while, and then stay on as backup, still playing 25 games or so.

12. Habsrule1 says:

Was anyone else a little dissapointed that JM said management would pick the Captain? I kinda like the idea of the players voting, although I guess you could say it becomes more of a popularity contest than a vote for leadership?

I hope it’s done way before camp, and I hope it’s Gionta.

Why am I not surprised to read another holier than thou post from our resident pontificator.

JM did nothing of the sort. The Habs were thoroughly dominated and outplayed in all but maybe 2-3 games these playoffs. There were 3 reasons the Habs made it to the ECF. Halak, Halak and Halak.

Anybody who thinks other-wise hasn’t a clue. That would be you.

14. Habsrule1 says:

I’m not ready to say Huet would have won us that series. Price was not very good, but we also couldn’t get anything by Biron for some reason.

15. habby27 says:

ok, in saying that… look at cedric desjardin’s #’s and tell me he couldn’t do 30% in the NHL.

16. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

Teams will be able to find a guy similar to Hamr for a way smaller cap hit, and possibly without giving anything up in return. Any team that is stretching to meet the cap floor is probably a team that he won’t agree to be traded to (NTC). I’d love to see him moved, but I don’t see any way that happens before the deadline unless we get absolutely murdered in the trade. I also don’t want to buy him out, as that hurts our cap for the next two years, as opposed to just this one.

17. likehoy says:

maybe a rotating captain?

- What if Jaro Halak’s hand was indeed shaking? What if you took the CHOKE out of Ovechkin? — History Will Be Made

18. Mikey_39 says:

Huet would have taken a lot less to stay with us.  He loved playing here, and he was doing well here.  He is an awesome goaltender.  He played amazing with Washington in the playoffs and had some good streaks with Chicago but just lost confidence and the fans turned on him.  If it wasn’t for his contract I’d take him back anyday!

19. pmaraw says:

when is montreal gonna do this?

DarrenDreger TSN.ca reporting Dion Phaneuf will be named cptn of the Leafs this week…likely Tues in conjunction with new sweater launch. Link soon.

20. pmaraw says:

this is a whole new year, ya huet has gotten bad, I said he was good that year and perhaps he could’ve stoppe umberger once or twice.  Jeff Hackett was only good in montreal also.

21. Habsrule1 says:

I think there are teams that would take Hamrlik. He’s a good, veteran defenseman to help young D starting out (ask PK), and there are teams that need salary to hit the cap floor.

22. mike g says:

Also, all the NHL emlite goaltender who play 60+ games per year were all burnt out come the 2nd round.

Those days of having one guy play all the games are over. Players don’t go home in the summer and sit around all day relaxing. They train, most of them every single day. There’s no break for a hockey player. The way the schedule is made, with 82 games and all the travelling, smart hockey minds are beginning to realize that you need to share the workload with 2 goaltenders.

Players are bigger, stronger and faster. The game has more powerplays than ever before. PP’s drain a goaltender. 82 games drain them too. They can’t afford to rest all summer, they must stay in top shape. The human body, whether you like it or not, breaks down after a while.

Trust me, you’ll be seeing alot of teams going with a tandem in the near future. Not saying they’ll split the load 50/50 with their netminders, but a 70/30 split with your starter and backup will be increasingly popular.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

23. pmaraw says:

thanks for turning off the caps lock, and don’t forget halak, his trade value is thru the roof right now I imagine.

24. Habsrule1 says:

Had an answer? Do you think it’s a coincidence Huet didn’t play a single minute in the playoffs? Chicago knows they made a mistake now…the same mistake Gainey refused to make.

25. pmaraw says:

Hockey, Soccer, Football, followed by Baseball, Golf and Tennis, lastly, Basketball  (I would like basketball a lot more if it werent for the terrible rules and the seemingly fixed games.  I also think the Free Agent Summit is gonna ruin the league.  1 or 2 teams are gonna be stacked next year, possibly 3 and every other team is gonna be fitting for 4th to last.)

26. Black Snake Moen says:

i live in ontario so i have the sportsnet network….theyre ten times worse…they blatantly admit to being homers….they have a commercial where it shows all these lame leaf highlights then right at the end it shows a habs clip and the guy comes in and goes “hey! howd THAT get in there??”…….soooo lame

27. ManApart says:

Hamrlik is untradeable. He’ll be here come October barring a miracle buyout or something. Another gift from Gainey.