In case you missed it

Jeremy Roenick had a very human reaction to seeing his former team win the Stanley Cup.

• Jonathan Toews played hurt

• Hawks face cap issues

• Hossa: One and done
• Adam Burish calls Chris Pronger the biggest idiot in the league
• In other news, Jonathan Toews gets a $1.3 million Stanley Cup bonus and Hawks president John McDonough says Dale Tallon will get a ring.

3Vfo5xSAnfo

1. habby27 says:

because we have an expendable asset in Price to make a good pitch to another team. We all know we are missing a power forward with size and skill.  Price gives us a good start at aquiring a good power forward.

2. pmaraw says:

I will be happy with any one of those lol, altho I believe there is a market for hammer.

3. mike g says:

That’s awsome dude, good job…

But what’s really sad is how TSN has to always find a way to link the Leafs with any story involving success in the NHL. It’s really “homer” and unprofessional of them, and it’s starting to show a little too much…

This is the best time of the year, when ONE team gets to celebrate the best summer of their life. The Hawks deserve all the attention and praise for the 3 month break. The fact that the Leafs are being mentionned in the same breath as the Hawks 2 days after they won the Cup is insane. I bet if the Rangers hadn’t won in 40+ years, it would not have even been braught up this early into the summer.

People at TSN should have their heads checked.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

4. pmaraw says:

I’m still angry about that.  Huet was good that year and could’ve helped us get past the 2nd round.  Price got schooled by Umberger, Huet might’ve had an answer.

5. ManApart says:

Pavelski is untoucable in SJ, especially with the prospect of losing Marleau.

6. pmaraw says:

your caps lock is on.  also, why don’t we use those building blocks if they’re so good?

7. habby27 says:

PLUS WE DONT NEED 2 GOALIES.  NO MATTER HOW MUCH PEOPLE THINK WE SHOULD. WE NEED ONE. ALL THE BEST GOALIES IN THE LEAGUE PLAY 60 GAMES. HALAK CAN DO THAT.

8. Black Snake Moen says:

i just about died when I opened up tsn.ca yesterday and it was top story hahaha

funny thing is i got a chuckle out of paul maurice when they first came on to the bench too

9. habby27 says:

BUT THEY HAVE DRAFTED HIGH A FEW YEARS IN A ROW AND HAVE HAD GOOD PICKS.  PRICE IS AN UNREAL BUILDING BLOCK CUZ HE NEEDS TO GET OUT OF MONTREAL TO BE GOOD. PLUS 2 GUYS WITH NHL EXPERIENCE (THE BROTHERS). WE HAVE GOOD YOUNG TALENT IN OUR FARM SYSTEM WE COULD LOOK AT TRADING. PLUS GIVE SOME PICK. LOTS OF REBUILDING TOOLS THERE.

10. ManApart says:

Cammy definately has a better release and shot than AK46. The most skilled player overall on this team is Markov. nobody has the vision, IQ, passing ability, and defensive awareness that he does.

11. Kooch7800 says:

That is too funny

12. Kooch7800 says:

Remember how angry and confused everyone was when Gainey got rid of Huet for a 2nd round pick and now

Chicago has locked him up and is looking for the eject button and is stuck.

How things change.  I think BG knew how much cash Huet thought he was worth.  The sad part is with the team in front of him in Chi town, how was he not good?

13. ooder says:

hockey, basketball soccer

in that order to play and to watch

——————

“I like what I’m seeing right now,” assessed Markov. “We’re not perfect, but we’re trying to be.”

14. TomNickle says:

If Roman Hamrlik is on this roster in October I’ll be livid.

I can understand them not moving Andrei Kostitsyn because there’s a chance he can up his value, but Sergei’s gone already.

15. mike g says:

There’s more of a chance that the Bruins trade back the 2nd overall pick to Toronto, than us getting the 1st overall pick.

It’s not only about drafting a certain player. It’s about satisfying your fanbase in Edmonton, and showing them you are 100% fully committed to the rebuilding phase they began 2 years ago. This is their opportunity to draft and develop a prize talent, there’s no need to get rid of that in their case. It’s Edmonton’s chance to draft a real franchise player for the 1st time in almost 2 decades. Ryan Smith was good, and so were others.

But if Hall or Seguin live up to their expectations, Edmonton will have a great building block in one of them. As long as they don’t follow Columbus’ example with Nash…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

16. Black Snake Moen says:

Hey Booner!

check out my sign!

yes, thats me

17. lavie says:

To play: Hockey, Soccer and Tennis;

To watch: Hockey, Ice Hockey and Hockey on Ice.

18. kempie says:

Halak for Sharp

19. mike g says:

My wishes for the summer won’t happen, they’re too logical…

#1- buy-out Hamrlik.

#2- sign both our goaltenders for 4 years.

#3- since #2 won’t happen, trade the rights to one of them to Philly for Jeff Carter. Or, trade their rights to SJ for Clowe and another decent player.

#4- re-sign Pleks.

Not necessarily in that order, but if I was PG that’s what I’d try accomplishing this summer.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

20. nickster13 says:

to play: soccer, hockey, baseball

to watch: hockey, soccer, baseball

21. habby27 says:

DONT WE HAVE ANYTHING TO TRADE FOR THE 1ST OVERALL PICK.

COMBO OF PRICE (AND I HATE TO SAY IT) OR HALAK WITH AK46 SK74. AND OUR FIRST ROUNDER WITH PROSPECTS.

EDMONTON COULD THEN TRADE THE BULINWALL FOR A DEC PLAYER OR PICK.

ANYTHING?????

22. TomNickle says:

Hockey and Football is a tie with Baseball coming in at a distant 2nd.

23. Storm Man says:

Nothing is too hard…… Play it would be hockey, fastball,and golf been playing golf for 4 years now and there is nothing more fun to watch then men getting pissed at a little white ball :) Played University football but that window has long passed. Watching hockey, football (ncaa and nfl) baseball and soccer in a tie.

24. mike g says:

That will cost us an extra 10 mill on our cap…

For an overrated goaltender who rides the bench, a good forward, and a 7th defenseman. No thanks, lol…

Keep our guys and spend the 10 mill on Kovalchuk if you wanna go crazy like that, lol…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

25. TomNickle says:

He’s kind of hard to miss in a hockey game and Shawn Belle shoots left.

26. TomNickle says:

Agreed, he’s a flat footed player all of the time and that’s where all of those stupid turnovers come from.  Scared to get hit but doesn’t want to get out of the way by moving his damn legs.

He and his brother are the biggest wastes of talent I’ve seen in a long time.

27. TorontoHabsFan says:

I suspect he’ll stay as well (I suspect the one they’d most easily part with would be Versteeg – but he’d bring back the least in a trade)

I’m quite interested to see what they do. Huet is pretty much as good as gone. Niemi’s an RFA who will probably want something in the $2m range. Sopel is probably going to be moved. And pretty much everyone I’ve read agrees that one of the 3 will have to move as well.

Hey – why don’t we take Huet, Sharp and Sopel for Price, S. Kost, and a 1st. Use our playoff money to store Huet and Hamrlik in the Hammer!

Being a GM is easy!

28. habaholic68NJ says:

HOCKEY, HOCKEY AND HOCKEY

29. Bugs says:

And I appreciate your considering it, mate.

Agitated but regulated, I aspire as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Undersecretary of North-East Division Propaganda Bureau, Section Chief of Flannel Department, and Field Operative for Habsbros Data Dissemination Services: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

30. crabvader says:

Are you sure it was Subban you were watching? The same Subban that scores more goals than almost every single defenceman in any league he’s played in?

Give him time, he will score in the NHL, too.

31. krob1000 says:

All I want for Christmas in July this year is Sharp and Clowe. I think Clowe plus could be had for a goalie as they likely are done with Nabokov in SJ.    Chicago is in a cap crunch and may look for a two player for one deal and Andrei/Sergei are just that….Sergei also has a Kane connection.  Unload Hammer as Subban and OB are ready to eat some minutes it would appear and we are looking pretty good.  I would resign Pleks and as adding Sharp and Clowe would be a significant enough grit and heart upgrade up front.   Resign Moore as well as I don’t believe we were beat up the middledespite our ever obvious lack of size up the middle….I think we were beat along the wall/in front of the net and in the corners.

I know Clowe just singed for 4 years at 3.6 but he is exactly the type of guy we need and as unlikey as it now is to pluck him one of our goalies just may be enugh to entice such a deal…poor mans version of Raffi Torres would help too.  Some one who can drive the net, stand in there and put some fear into dmen on the forecheck…..

32. crabvader says:

Hockey, MMA, Boxing.

33. TomNickle says:

Holy $hit.

Saying the guy’s got great hands doesn’t mean I like him more than Subban.

And ah….on the Subban thing, I saw a little more than 80 of his games in junior, attended the WJHC in Ottawa and made three trips to Hamilton this season.

34. Bugs says:

I admit the faking isn’t soccer’s finest moments, but the clash of nations, the history, the emotion, (shudder).

Nothing like it, mate.

Agitated but regulated, I aspire as

35. crabvader says:

I know, he is a gamble.

36. G-Man says:

Play and watch- Hockey, Tennis and Football (don’t play any more- I’m 50 ffs). Baseball is just plain dull for me. 4 hours of snoozefestapalooza I cannot take.

37. mike g says:

Both….lol, if it’s not too hard to put together..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

38. crabvader says:

Cause Kabanov is 6’3, a right-handed shot and is insanely talented? Like I said, I acknowledge that it’s a gamble, but if he comes to play, he will make your Toffoli and Petrovic look like they belong in the AHL.

It’s all about if you are willing to risk it.

My point is he is that good of a player.

And about your Andrei Kostitsyn dekes, he’s done that what, 3-4 times where he scored a goal in what, 3 years?

Subban has played a grand total of 16 NHL games. Give it some time, dude.

If you watch the AHL at all, you’d see that Subban has done it to plenty of players in that league. Sure you can say that’s only the AHL but let the guy get his wings under him before you judge him as being a guy with no hands.

39. TomNickle says:

And work ethic and conditioning from what I’ve read but your question mark is a BIG ONE.

40. Storm Man says:

He needs to hire someone to find his hands they were MIA last year.

41. habsman-itoba says:

Hockey, Soccer, Cricket

42. Storm Man says:

Play or watch?

43. TomNickle says:

I’m not saying Subban doesn’t have a good shot.  I’m saying it isn’t as accurate as it needs to be.

Andrei Kostitsyn has shown his hands at the NHL level.

44. Psycho29 says:

Such as: “Gainey, Gauthier and Martin are living in the past-time.”

Hmmm…sounds familiar!  :-)

45. mike g says:

Alright, time for a little debate…

What are your top 3 sports?

Mine: Hockey, Baseball, Football.

You?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

46. TomNickle says:

Ok,  I’ve seen Andrei Kostitsyn make top tier defensemen and forwards in the NHL look like pylons with his stick handling, I haven’t seen that from Subban.

Cammalleri can deke players well, but I don’t put his stick handling ability on par with Andrei Kostitsyns.

My point originally, was that Andrei Kostitsyn is another highly skilled player that can’t get his head out of his rear end.  Why would this team invest a first round pick in Kabanov when it could be used on a Toffoli, Petrovic or some other highly skilled player that has the potential to fall on draft boards like Skinner or maybe even Watson.

47. nickster13 says:

Gimme Kabanov, hes got size and skill, and doesnt have the extra unecessary weight that AK has. Best that could happen is he becomes a 40 goal scorer

48. crabvader says:

You say all that as if Subban’s been playing in the NHL for as long as Andrei has.

He logged ALL of Markov’s minutes and looked terrific. He still scored a goal when we had what, 2 goals total scored by a defenceman during our entire playoff run?

I would blame the cycling and players not crashing the net for hesitant puck shooting.

What’s Subban supposed to do? Shoot through a maze of 4 enemy players who will block the shot and cause an odd-man rush?

Maybe if he missed he was trying to bank some shots for his guys who were sitting on the SIDES of the net and not in front?

I may not be right about that, but it makes more sense than saying he’s a crap shot, because he definitely isn’t.

49. mike g says:

What if I tell you that the Hawks won’t trade Byfuglien as long as Towes and Kane are in Chicago..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

50. SeriousFan09 says:

More physical yes, but the acting makes it a disgrace. Carcillo on his best day couldn’t sell the crap those whiners try.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

51. crabvader says:

The only thing that is a question mark in Kabanov’s case is his dedication to North American hockey.

If he were Canadian with the skill set he has, he’d be top 3. EASILY.

52. TomNickle says:

Not at the NHL level.

How many times did he go on a rush in the playoffs and miss the net from 20 feet?

How many uncontested point shots went at least a foot wide on the Powerplay?

Andrei Kostitsyn’s shot and puck handling ability are miles above Subban’s.  That doesn’t mean he’s a better player, because he’s not.  I believe he has more talent.

53. crabvader says:

Lol, go watch Subban’s stickhandling skills at work.

I’m not just talking about speed. He was CONSERVATIVE in the playoffs because he had to be or he would’ve been sent back to Hamilton so damned fast, 2 million Montrealer’s heads would’ve spun. His hands are superb.. I’ll give you one video but the rest you can easily find.

Yeah… nowhere near as good.

No good at all, he makes Andrei look like a Saint.

Cammalleri can also deke the pants out of many guys. He’s done it throughout the year.

This isn’t a competition, really. You said Andrei was the most skilled, and I replied by saying he wasn’t and offered you two suggestions of better players.

Either way, straying faaaaaaar from point, Kabanov has all the makings of an Ilya Kovalchuk.

Say what you will about Kovalchuk, but he is a goal-scorer. 5 straight seasons over 40 goals scored on a crappy team.

Kabanov has hands, speed, and size.

54. krob1000 says:

I still play men;s league…actually played last night and took a fast ball in the hamstring…the batters box was really muddy and you couldn’t move out of the way from an inside pitch…there 4 guys hit in 2 and a half innings and then we had to call the game

55. krob1000 says:

I agree on Andrei’s shot but he doesn’t get to use his hands much and when he does he doesn;t move his lower half well enough in traffic to keep up with his hands….I would take Cammi, Gio, Sergei, Pleks,etc over Andrei’s “hands” any day in traffic.  Andrei can make the end to end rush and beat a guy whenhe has the speed already built up, and can beat guys with his size and hands combo but he isn;t active enough with his feet/lower body to stickhandle in traffic IMO.  Take Kovy for instance…he can turn on a dime and change direction 5 times without missing a beat because his hands and feet can match each other…..Andrei…not so much…..not sure if it is a lack of skill or laziness though…frustrating…of that I am sure.

56. SeriousFan09 says:

Andrei’s best goals total in AHL season: 21

Subban’s best goal total in an AHL season: 20

Can’t hit the net yet?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

57. TomNickle says:

37, just missed ya.

58. TomNickle says:

I’d have at least three players ahead of Kabanov on my board where we pick but I don’t get paid to make draft picks.

59. Le Jadester says:

Cammy is alot more selfish than AK IMO.  AK set him up way more all season than the other way around.

Habs, OLE !

60. TomNickle says:

Ok well you’re wrong on Subban,  outright wrong.  Speed isn’t the only thing involved in a skill set.  Subban has a shot that he can’t hit the net with yet and his hands aren’t anywhere near Andrei’s.  Cammalleri is a very skilled player but he too doesn’t have the handling ability of Andrei Kostitsyn.  The shot is a draw.  Cammalleri’s slapper is better but Andrei’s wrister blows his away.

61. mike g says:

Why aren’t Hyundai’s or Kia’s as popular as Honda’s?

It’s simple, people chose soccer out of the group of cheapest sports to play and went on with it. I’ll be the 1st to admitt that soccer can be fun to play. It’s not a terrible sport, and it’s better than handball.

But, to sit infront of a tv and watch extreamly well conditioned men with 8 packs act like a 6 year old girl in a schoolyard, well it’s just not my thing…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

62. SeriousFan09 says:

With the 27th overall pick? Not really. Only two players have come out of the final 4 picks of the 1st round in the entry draft since the lockout ended that are known by name and one of them just gained prominence this year (John Carlson) the other is that d-bag Steve Downie.

If Kabanov is available, it’s worth the risk, but he won’t go to 27th overall so it’s pointless to speculate. A few teams will roll the dice on him before us.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

63. HFX-HabFan says:

Ah, the Thunder (at least they were when I played).  Blue and orange as I recall.

64. crabvader says:

PK Subban, for one and he’s still a rookie.

Cammalleri also and he’s half his size, lol.

That’s not just one, but two guys with more skill.

65. Storm Man says:

Have a good lunch.

66. krob1000 says:

How old are you…I played for the Kingston Braves all the way to Junior and we were in that loop …..I am 33.

67. Le Jadester says:

Sorry Mike G, ya lost me there on your last statement

I’m just trying to seperate men and sissy’s in the professional sports scene “

Complete bias and ignorance were the major ingredients in that statement.

Habs, OLE !

68. habsman-itoba says:

I’m certain that you’ll be ecstatic to know that I suppose I can live with that, although your point was not missed.  I appreciate your clarification.

69. TomNickle says:

I’d love to know who you think has a better set of hands or a better release and velocity on their shot than Andrei Kostitsyn.

I don’t like him at all.  I’m making the point that he hasn’t gotten his act together and he didn’t show early signs of being a brat.

There are better options available to us than Kabanov.

70. Bugs says:

Man’s entitled to his opinion. And since we never start strong and since we respect Uruguay, I had nothing to retort.

Quite possible.

Agitated but regulated, I aspire as

71. TorontoHabsFan says:

How’s this for an offer to Chicago:

Pouliot and a 1st for one of the 3 (Sharp, Byfuglien, Versteeg)

72. TomNickle says:

Played in Peterborough. I definitely played against Belleville though.

73. SeriousFan09 says:

I’m wagering Penguins, Capitals or Detroit. Penguins desperately need to find a winger who can come close to skating with Crosby/Malkin and cash on a scoring chance. Capitals wouldn’t mind adding a Russian and imagine they figure Kabanov would get a thrill with playing Ovechkin. Wings love a reclamation project and would probably like to add a quality winger with their 1st rounder.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

74. crabvader says:

To be perfectly fair, no he isn’t.

To be even more…fair, Kabanov looks much more promising than A.Kost ever did.