In case you missed it

Jeremy Roenick had a very human reaction to seeing his former team win the Stanley Cup.

• Jonathan Toews played hurt

• Hawks face cap issues

• Hossa: One and done
• Adam Burish calls Chris Pronger the biggest idiot in the league
• In other news, Jonathan Toews gets a $1.3 million Stanley Cup bonus and Hawks president John McDonough says Dale Tallon will get a ring.

1. krob1000 says:

let’s also consider here that we gave up a 2nd rounder and a 3rd rounder for Mathieu Schneider…Hammer should have similar type value I would think …..he is still quite useful to a team with cap space and a lack of veteran leadership on the back end…..I would hate to have to wait until the deadline to do it though as it would be quite late int he seasona nd would take time away from Subban, OB,etc……I think they will be able to unload him easier thna most think…..heck San Jose if they do trade Clowe for a goaile, just had Blake retire and Hammer would work there and could be aprt of one last run with that core…..unloading Nabokov and replacing him iwth a HAb goalie and trading Clowe would work out to a similar cap hit and they wouldn;t be weakened …. something to consider

Hey it’s not my article.

And he does say in the salary cap era.

and that tends to be how the great young teams are built in the salary
    cap era

Detroit also had Scotty Bowman and had real scouts and had a real concept and they dont rush their young stars. If Subban was a Wing he’d spend another year in the minors. Also how many yreas did they languish at the bottom of the standings.

The Habs are under this illusion that they are still a great franchise. They’re not. They are a very mediocre franchise whose only goal is to make the playoffs for the income. Winning the Cup is secondary if not tertiary.

3. smiler2729 says:

Saku was a point-a-game player until that first knee injury.

4. smiler2729 says:

No offence but soccer BLOWS. What a boring game and I’ve really tried to watch World Cups before, I tried, I really tried but I’m sorry, all that space, big nets and 90 minutes of nil-nil does nothing for me.

And I love how all these “new Canadians” suddenly fly all these various foreign flags on their cars and drive by honking and screaming… At least they could fly a red & white Maple Leaf too then us real Canadians wouldn’t feel so used lol.

5. Chuck says:

How many lotteries did Detroit win? And yet, they’ve won more Cups in recent years than have any of the teams that you mentioned.

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

6. andrewberkshire says:

Huet was eliminated by the Flyers as well, so there is no coulda, woulda, shoulda. Price was better than Huet in 07-08 in every way.

7. andrewberkshire says:

Played amazing for Washington? He had a .909 save%!

I hate to say this Ian but what about Koivu. In retrospect, and IMHHO he was selected way too early in his career to be Habs captain.

9. krob1000 says:

Bless me Father for I have sinned, it has been since Mats Sundin that I have let Eklund affect me……

I just made the mistake of reading Eklunds overview of the Anaheim Ducks and he made mention of Koivu coming back to Montreal……I know he is as reliable as a Samsonov in his own zone but it still  got my hopes up as I would love to see Saku retire a HAb and he can still contribute too…..I don’t really see this happening but it would be great to me…unless it meant losing Pleks.  I still like Moore too and Lapierre earned his keep with his playoffs but Eklund has don eit again…he has Sundin’ed me all over again and from now until Saku signs somewhere it will be in the back of mind….how much I would love to see that little warrior back in a Habs uni before he retires……

Now someone tell me my pennance for my Eklunding again….

More fule to add to the fire. More and more people are admitting what HH already knows.

Hawks a model for rebuilding

Notable quote:

“I’m not interested in a five-year rebuild here,” Burke said in
    April. “You can say Pittsburgh — well, Pittsburgh picked a ball out of a
    drum to get Sidney Crosby. Don’t tell me there was any skill there.
    When you say, ‘Gee, what a great rebuilding job they did,’ they won a
    goddamned lottery.”

Yes they did. So did Washington with Ovechkin
    and Nicklas Backstrom, and the Kings with Doughty, and Chicago with Kane
    and Toews. The point, as always, is this: To win the lottery, you first
    have to be in it.

11. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

I agree that would be great, but I don’t see it happening. Any team that takes him without giving up salary in return is going to be a team that is well under the cap, not likely to be a contender, and not likely to be a team that he would accept a trade to. I also think that any team that is willing to take on that contract is going to want a pot-sweetener that would mortgage our future to solve a 1 year problem – like a Kristo, Leblanc or PK.

Again, it would be fantastic if PG was able to make a Hamr trade without getting killed, but I would be very surprised if we don’t see #44 in the lineup in October.

12. habby27 says:

oh. and by the way… 70% of the season is almost 60 games

13. habby27 says:

oh. and by the way… 70% of the season is almost 60 games

14. Habsrule1 says:

Hey Ian,

You don’t think Gionta has earned it? He has played with heart & soul and the grit & determination usually reserved for guys twice his size.

Go Habs Go!! “I don’t have a copy of Georges’ code, I don’t know what it is,”. “I think the code is that you’re here for your teammates. It’s not your code, it’s our code.” – Bob Gainey

15. Fansincebirth says:

Toronto chooses their Captain via the short straw method, we don’t…

no promise, has to be earned first my friend.

Our captain will be named only after he earns the honour. No one has earned a thing yet.!!! A Mtl. Captaincy is not given out very easily, unlike some mickey mouse clubs.

18. pmaraw says:

lol good point.  but still…

The mistake that year was not following Carbo’s desire to keep Price in the minors. He should’ve been brought up for the playoffs or near the end of the season after dominating the AHL and riding the bus and not getting fat on 2 AM poutine.

20. andrewberkshire says:

Because taking our cues from Toronto would work out so well.

21. Game 7 says:

If I recall correctly Gauthier promised us a captain by the draft, so he’s got 2 weeks to deliver.

22. Habsrule1 says:

I think there is a market, and the key is to get as little a cap hit as possible in return. Perhaps we sweeten the pot with SK74, a pick or a prospect?

Thanks for all the help with my soccer question people and rabbits.

24. Habsrule1 says:

I was a Huet fan, but amazing goaltender? I’m not sure that I’d go that far….seemed like a great guy though and it would have been cool for him to stay and share the duties with Price for a while, and then stay on as backup, still playing 25 games or so.

25. Habsrule1 says:

Was anyone else a little dissapointed that JM said management would pick the Captain? I kinda like the idea of the players voting, although I guess you could say it becomes more of a popularity contest than a vote for leadership?

I hope it’s done way before camp, and I hope it’s Gionta.

Why am I not surprised to read another holier than thou post from our resident pontificator.

JM did nothing of the sort. The Habs were thoroughly dominated and outplayed in all but maybe 2-3 games these playoffs. There were 3 reasons the Habs made it to the ECF. Halak, Halak and Halak.

Anybody who thinks other-wise hasn’t a clue. That would be you.

27. Habsrule1 says:

I’m not ready to say Huet would have won us that series. Price was not very good, but we also couldn’t get anything by Biron for some reason.

28. habby27 says:

ok, in saying that… look at cedric desjardin’s #’s and tell me he couldn’t do 30% in the NHL.

29. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

Teams will be able to find a guy similar to Hamr for a way smaller cap hit, and possibly without giving anything up in return. Any team that is stretching to meet the cap floor is probably a team that he won’t agree to be traded to (NTC). I’d love to see him moved, but I don’t see any way that happens before the deadline unless we get absolutely murdered in the trade. I also don’t want to buy him out, as that hurts our cap for the next two years, as opposed to just this one.

30. likehoy says:

maybe a rotating captain?

– What if Jaro Halak’s hand was indeed shaking? What if you took the CHOKE out of Ovechkin? — History Will Be Made

31. Mikey_39 says:

Huet would have taken a lot less to stay with us.  He loved playing here, and he was doing well here.  He is an awesome goaltender.  He played amazing with Washington in the playoffs and had some good streaks with Chicago but just lost confidence and the fans turned on him.  If it wasn’t for his contract I’d take him back anyday!

32. pmaraw says:

when is montreal gonna do this?

DarrenDreger reporting Dion Phaneuf will be named cptn of the Leafs this week…likely Tues in conjunction with new sweater launch. Link soon.

33. pmaraw says:

this is a whole new year, ya huet has gotten bad, I said he was good that year and perhaps he could’ve stoppe umberger once or twice.  Jeff Hackett was only good in montreal also.

34. Habsrule1 says:

I think there are teams that would take Hamrlik. He’s a good, veteran defenseman to help young D starting out (ask PK), and there are teams that need salary to hit the cap floor.

35. mike g says:

Also, all the NHL emlite goaltender who play 60+ games per year were all burnt out come the 2nd round.

Those days of having one guy play all the games are over. Players don’t go home in the summer and sit around all day relaxing. They train, most of them every single day. There’s no break for a hockey player. The way the schedule is made, with 82 games and all the travelling, smart hockey minds are beginning to realize that you need to share the workload with 2 goaltenders.

Players are bigger, stronger and faster. The game has more powerplays than ever before. PP’s drain a goaltender. 82 games drain them too. They can’t afford to rest all summer, they must stay in top shape. The human body, whether you like it or not, breaks down after a while.

Trust me, you’ll be seeing alot of teams going with a tandem in the near future. Not saying they’ll split the load 50/50 with their netminders, but a 70/30 split with your starter and backup will be increasingly popular.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

36. pmaraw says:

thanks for turning off the caps lock, and don’t forget halak, his trade value is thru the roof right now I imagine.

37. Habsrule1 says:

Had an answer? Do you think it’s a coincidence Huet didn’t play a single minute in the playoffs? Chicago knows they made a mistake now…the same mistake Gainey refused to make.

38. pmaraw says:

Hockey, Soccer, Football, followed by Baseball, Golf and Tennis, lastly, Basketball  (I would like basketball a lot more if it werent for the terrible rules and the seemingly fixed games.  I also think the Free Agent Summit is gonna ruin the league.  1 or 2 teams are gonna be stacked next year, possibly 3 and every other team is gonna be fitting for 4th to last.)

39. Black Snake Moen says:

i live in ontario so i have the sportsnet network….theyre ten times worse…they blatantly admit to being homers….they have a commercial where it shows all these lame leaf highlights then right at the end it shows a habs clip and the guy comes in and goes “hey! howd THAT get in there??”…….soooo lame

40. ManApart says:

Hamrlik is untradeable. He’ll be here come October barring a miracle buyout or something. Another gift from Gainey.

41. habby27 says:

because we have an expendable asset in Price to make a good pitch to another team. We all know we are missing a power forward with size and skill.  Price gives us a good start at aquiring a good power forward.

42. pmaraw says:

I will be happy with any one of those lol, altho I believe there is a market for hammer.

43. mike g says:

That’s awsome dude, good job…

But what’s really sad is how TSN has to always find a way to link the Leafs with any story involving success in the NHL. It’s really “homer” and unprofessional of them, and it’s starting to show a little too much…

This is the best time of the year, when ONE team gets to celebrate the best summer of their life. The Hawks deserve all the attention and praise for the 3 month break. The fact that the Leafs are being mentionned in the same breath as the Hawks 2 days after they won the Cup is insane. I bet if the Rangers hadn’t won in 40+ years, it would not have even been braught up this early into the summer.

People at TSN should have their heads checked.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

44. pmaraw says:

I’m still angry about that.  Huet was good that year and could’ve helped us get past the 2nd round.  Price got schooled by Umberger, Huet might’ve had an answer.

45. ManApart says:

Pavelski is untoucable in SJ, especially with the prospect of losing Marleau.

46. pmaraw says:

your caps lock is on.  also, why don’t we use those building blocks if they’re so good?

47. habby27 says:

48. Black Snake Moen says:

i just about died when I opened up yesterday and it was top story hahaha

funny thing is i got a chuckle out of paul maurice when they first came on to the bench too

49. habby27 says:

50. ManApart says:

Cammy definately has a better release and shot than AK46. The most skilled player overall on this team is Markov. nobody has the vision, IQ, passing ability, and defensive awareness that he does.

51. Kooch7800 says:

That is too funny

52. Kooch7800 says:

Remember how angry and confused everyone was when Gainey got rid of Huet for a 2nd round pick and now

Chicago has locked him up and is looking for the eject button and is stuck.

How things change.  I think BG knew how much cash Huet thought he was worth.  The sad part is with the team in front of him in Chi town, how was he not good?

53. ooder says:

hockey, basketball soccer

in that order to play and to watch

“I like what I’m seeing right now,” assessed Markov. “We’re not perfect, but we’re trying to be.”

54. TomNickle says:

If Roman Hamrlik is on this roster in October I’ll be livid.

I can understand them not moving Andrei Kostitsyn because there’s a chance he can up his value, but Sergei’s gone already.

55. mike g says:

There’s more of a chance that the Bruins trade back the 2nd overall pick to Toronto, than us getting the 1st overall pick.

It’s not only about drafting a certain player. It’s about satisfying your fanbase in Edmonton, and showing them you are 100% fully committed to the rebuilding phase they began 2 years ago. This is their opportunity to draft and develop a prize talent, there’s no need to get rid of that in their case. It’s Edmonton’s chance to draft a real franchise player for the 1st time in almost 2 decades. Ryan Smith was good, and so were others.

But if Hall or Seguin live up to their expectations, Edmonton will have a great building block in one of them. As long as they don’t follow Columbus’ example with Nash…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

56. Black Snake Moen says:

Hey Booner!

check out my sign!

yes, thats me

57. lavie says:

To play: Hockey, Soccer and Tennis;

To watch: Hockey, Ice Hockey and Hockey on Ice.

58. kempie says:

Halak for Sharp

59. mike g says:

My wishes for the summer won’t happen, they’re too logical…

#1- buy-out Hamrlik.

#2- sign both our goaltenders for 4 years.

#3- since #2 won’t happen, trade the rights to one of them to Philly for Jeff Carter. Or, trade their rights to SJ for Clowe and another decent player.

#4- re-sign Pleks.

Not necessarily in that order, but if I was PG that’s what I’d try accomplishing this summer.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

60. nickster13 says:

to play: soccer, hockey, baseball

to watch: hockey, soccer, baseball

61. habby27 says:

62. TomNickle says:

Hockey and Football is a tie with Baseball coming in at a distant 2nd.

63. Storm Man says:

Nothing is too hard…… Play it would be hockey, fastball,and golf been playing golf for 4 years now and there is nothing more fun to watch then men getting pissed at a little white ball :) Played University football but that window has long passed. Watching hockey, football (ncaa and nfl) baseball and soccer in a tie.

64. mike g says:

That will cost us an extra 10 mill on our cap…

For an overrated goaltender who rides the bench, a good forward, and a 7th defenseman. No thanks, lol…

Keep our guys and spend the 10 mill on Kovalchuk if you wanna go crazy like that, lol…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

65. TomNickle says:

He’s kind of hard to miss in a hockey game and Shawn Belle shoots left.

66. TomNickle says:

Agreed, he’s a flat footed player all of the time and that’s where all of those stupid turnovers come from.  Scared to get hit but doesn’t want to get out of the way by moving his damn legs.

He and his brother are the biggest wastes of talent I’ve seen in a long time.

67. TorontoHabsFan says:

I suspect he’ll stay as well (I suspect the one they’d most easily part with would be Versteeg – but he’d bring back the least in a trade)

I’m quite interested to see what they do. Huet is pretty much as good as gone. Niemi’s an RFA who will probably want something in the $2m range. Sopel is probably going to be moved. And pretty much everyone I’ve read agrees that one of the 3 will have to move as well.

Hey – why don’t we take Huet, Sharp and Sopel for Price, S. Kost, and a 1st. Use our playoff money to store Huet and Hamrlik in the Hammer!

Being a GM is easy!

68. habaholic68NJ says:

69. Bugs says:

And I appreciate your considering it, mate.

Agitated but regulated, I aspire as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Undersecretary of North-East Division Propaganda Bureau, Section Chief of Flannel Department, and Field Operative for Habsbros Data Dissemination Services:

70. crabvader says:

Are you sure it was Subban you were watching? The same Subban that scores more goals than almost every single defenceman in any league he’s played in?

Give him time, he will score in the NHL, too.

71. krob1000 says:

All I want for Christmas in July this year is Sharp and Clowe. I think Clowe plus could be had for a goalie as they likely are done with Nabokov in SJ.    Chicago is in a cap crunch and may look for a two player for one deal and Andrei/Sergei are just that….Sergei also has a Kane connection.  Unload Hammer as Subban and OB are ready to eat some minutes it would appear and we are looking pretty good.  I would resign Pleks and as adding Sharp and Clowe would be a significant enough grit and heart upgrade up front.   Resign Moore as well as I don’t believe we were beat up the middledespite our ever obvious lack of size up the middle….I think we were beat along the wall/in front of the net and in the corners.

I know Clowe just singed for 4 years at 3.6 but he is exactly the type of guy we need and as unlikey as it now is to pluck him one of our goalies just may be enugh to entice such a deal…poor mans version of Raffi Torres would help too.  Some one who can drive the net, stand in there and put some fear into dmen on the forecheck…..

72. crabvader says:

Hockey, MMA, Boxing.

73. TomNickle says:

Holy $hit.

Saying the guy’s got great hands doesn’t mean I like him more than Subban.

And ah….on the Subban thing, I saw a little more than 80 of his games in junior, attended the WJHC in Ottawa and made three trips to Hamilton this season.

74. Bugs says:

I admit the faking isn’t soccer’s finest moments, but the clash of nations, the history, the emotion, (shudder).

Nothing like it, mate.