Impressions of rookie camp

5391063

Pat Hickey focuses on Phil DeSimone,  a forward prospect who is a FoM: Friend of Max.
But unlike his pal Pacioretty, DeSimone did not go to the University of Michigan. He’s a University of New Hampshire alumnus.

(Photo of a ferocious-looking Jarred Tinordi by André Tremblay of The Gazette)

Red Fisher on Michael Farber

Dave Stubbs on Gilles Villemure’s mask quest

Hickey welcomes a return to the ice

• Camp stories by Pierre Durocher and Marc Antoine Godin

Mathieu Darche photo shoot

National Post tabs Canadiens for eighth

Dan’s rookie camp recap

More prospect rankings

Prospect Daniel Pribl impresses

Bulldogs to play Binghamton in Ottawa

Puck Daddy’s puck headlines

Lot of peeps slagging the Post story but truthfully 8th twice and 6th last year in the past 3 years is a bubble team. As much as I love my Habs I wouldn’t be surprised with another 6th to 8th finish along with another hard fought few play-off rounds.

What would surprise me would be the Habs finishing 5th or better, thus showing progression, and actually winning a series or two in less than the requisite 7 games they most often times take themselves to.

Is there a reason when you start picking how many years to go back to prove your point you omit going 4 years back when the team finished much higher?

I don’t dispute the past few years this team had some struggles getting to the finish line. But I think this years team is much better than the past 2 years.

Just curious why you would choose to omit the higher finish year.

• HardHabits says:

Actually. The team had one top 10 (over-all) finish since they last won the Cup and that was the only time they started the play-offs at home, but who’s counting.

Let me ask you another question. When was the last time the Habs won a series in less than 7 games?

I hear you HH, i just wanted to make the point the team has had a high reg. season finish fairly recently. Unfortunately that team did not have the chemistry needed for a playoff run.

I do really like the look of our squad this year. I actually hope we finally have a team capable of scoring goals. A team that can beat the Leafs on a regular basis for a change and a team that can drop the hammer and win a playoff series in less than 7.

For too long we just eke by teams instead of beating them.

I can’t imagine winning a series in 5 games or less, will feel like a lottery win!

• VJ says:

The high finish season, while was a lot of fun, I think can be ignored because we clearly don’t have the same team. There’s been such a turnover and only a handful of players left from that year, that it would be silly to include that with the results of our current team. At least now we’ve had the same core of players for the last couple of years, and we need to start seeing some progression with our current group, rather then languishing in our past successes (although trips down memory lane are always fun, especially when chatting with Leaf fans)

This year we probably are only a 6-8th place team, we still have a few more growing pains to go through. Few questions on our defence, if they can return healthy, how well emelin adapts, potential subban sophmore slump (even doughty took a step back last year), and the always fun play of Spacek. Still a lot of offensive question marks too (can gomer rebound, patches’ health, can desharnais keep it up over a full season, can eller add some offence, etc…) We all know the questions, don’t need to go over them.

The point is, next season we should see maybe a 3-5 place finish, if not higher (hopefully)., and remain a top seed in the conference for the following seasons. Worry pas! We’re on the right path and we’re getting there. Rome wasn’t built in a day.

2. Goderichab says:

The Post is a give away rag in every hotel in Ontario. Why?
    Because they have no costs!! They have zilch in the way of heavy hitting reporters in any department! So why worry about a sports write up that was probably cloned from a Burke hand out?

They are great at duplicating press releases from all over but don’t expect any words of wisdom from any local inkster!1
    Waste of energy commenting on their opinion.

I remember the dynasties…

The New Jersey Devils situation is a real mess. Yesterday on Fan590 PrimeTime Sports, Bob McCowan and Stephen Brunt interviewed Michael Ozanian from Forbes magazine. A really good listen on just how Effed up the current owners of the Devils are. No wonder Lou was going nuts when they told him he had to go get Kovalchuck and get him resigned.

4. Habfan10912 says:

Listening to Team990 talk Canadien Hockey. All is well

5. SeriousFan09 says:

If Bruce Arthur has not written it, I do not care what is written in the Conservative Values Are Divinity Post. The only guy in that rag worth reading.

Agree on Arthur, he is good, once I opened up the link and realized it was Traikos or whatever his never is, I knew it would be shite.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

This is a hockey blog. Please keep political nonsense to self.

• bleedhabs81 says:

I looked back and it seems most of his comments are related to hockey. Except the one where he called someone Obambi boy (and todays, of course). I didn’t look to far back though.

Though, looking back, it does not appear that he has presented anything I would consider very interesting or inciteful. The only post I found interesting was the one with the name calling…. and I only found that interesting because he felt he had to resort to name calling (which I see as a reflection of one’s temperment and IQ… which makes me wonder if I should even bother reading his future posts).

Note: do not take this as an post as an attack, but it is an open forum and if you do not want to view political comments do what I do scroll past, close your eyes, or just don’t enter the forum. Also, it is day one of rookie camp. There is still nothing of consequence to post about. Why do you have to get your hate on? Really now?

6. shiram says:

I really like the picture of yellling/pointing Tinordi.
    Such intensity!

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

7. habitual says:

Welcome back, Stubbsie.

Nice article, but you tease us with an article about V’s mask, but no picture?

Well apparantly the hockey writers in Wpg. think Scott Gomez is overpaid and underperforming, here is an article discussing Bogosian wanting to sign in Wpg. and mention of the Gomez trade rumours.

I guess these writers didn’t watch Gomez play in New Jersey over 5 years ago, not sure how they can say that.

• shiram says:

Last season, Gomez was definately underperforming/overpaid.
      Beyond that, it’s only one line in a newspiece, they merely are trying to discredit a rumour.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

I know Shiram, I am just poking fun at them using that famous line for GOmez. I think Gomer will have a good year for us. I still think he brings a dimension no one else on our forward lines brings, his skating with the puck and into the o-zone. He just needs to start finishing the plays and be willing to go to dirty areas again. Having MaxPac back will help Gomer more than anyone else on the team.

• shiram says:

I too think he will rebound, if only because last year was so extremely bad for him. Hopefully Eller/DD can put on some pressure on him with the way they play.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

9. j2w4habs25 says:

word on the streets… Luke Schenn wants to be a Hab!!.. lol jk

Carey Price #31

• cuzzie says:

The Laffs can keep Komisarek junior.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

Was my understanding that Burke was willing to give Schenn 4.5 per year over 5 years as long as he picks up a US citizenship.

• Mike D says:

LOL – Good one Burly!

– Honestly yours

• Timo says:

I don’t get this one.

It’s become a running joke here in T.O. that Burke is interested in hiring Americans only. Coach Ron Wilson, Asst. coaches, now connelly and a bunch of other players are AMerican.

Given Burkie and Wilson were steering the US National team, the local media have been kind of riding the Leafs in that it is becoming an All American run organization.

• Timo says:

I see. Thanks.

• bleedhabs81 says:

Not to poo poo on how much Burkie sucks but wasn’t Ronnie Wilson hired by JFJ?

Also Burkie sucks.

Absolutely Wilson was hired by previous regime. But since then both new asst. coaches american, kessel, connelly, komisarek, brown, liles, lashoff. Not saying wrong at all, we have a ton of americans on the habs.

It is just getting a bit of the goat of the fans that the GM, Coach, Asst. coach, etc.. are americans.

Don’t forget this is Don Cherry country in hogtown!
            Actually CLiff Fletcher hired Wislon, JFJ already fired by then.

Nice read from Red, So happy to hear some good news as related to Mr. Farber. Hopefully things continue well for him.

11. bleublancrouge says:

National Post is fail they didn’t even add hammer as a departure

• DearyLeary says:

Which, quite frankly, is criminal. I think that Markov and Gorges more than make up for his departure, but when they were out of the lineup Hammer put up some huge minutes against very strong competition.

He’s an old warhorse and worked his ass off every night. He’s one of those rare players that makes others around him better. He’ll be missed, but not too much if the D stays healthy.

12. FishOutOfWater says:

Worst-case scenario After being shelled in an exhibition game, in which he is booed by the crowd and left in net for seven goals, Price throws up his hands and then skates over to the bench to tell Jacques Martin that “it’s my last game in Montreal.”

remind me to never read national post sports news

I just read that same useless review of the Habs as well. What a useless and shortsighted review that was. I could give a ratsass where the Conrad Black Post sticks the Habs for prediction, but have a clue what you are talking about in order to make your prediction.

• JF says:

That preview was a joke.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I think that’s the whole point guys, the author made a couple of jokes, no big deal. You can’t expect much insight from an overview like that, the author tried to inject some levity, but for us joking about Saint Patrick’s departure is too near the bone. Let’s all just relax a bit.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

13. ThatOldChestnut says:

It’s not even half-way through September and I’ve reached the limit of Gazette articles I can read online without subscribing. HIO, you might want to consider that when posting links like the Red Fisher one above. I get the paper at work, so I’ll read it there, but I can’t read it here.

14. HabsFanInNashville says:

I hate to break it to you, but Phil DeSimone never spent a moment at Michigan. He was a 4 year player under Dick Umile at the University of New Hampshire (my alma mater).

15. ESundy36 says:

After watching him embarrass my alma mater numerous times I look forward to seeing DiSimone get a shot. However DiSimone went to the University of New Hampshire, not Michigan.

16. j2w4habs25 says:

Jarred Tinordi audio interview with CJAD’s Ryan Rider.

I would like to see Jarred play a few games with the canadiens this year – i think he is ready. Cant wait to see this game on the ice at the bell centre.

Carey Price #31

• scrowe21 says:

Id rather let him develop and get stronger for another 2 years than rush him in now. We don’t need him yet.

• Mike D says:

Watched Tinordi play a couple games with the Knights last year. One in the first half of the season when he was still adjusting, and another towards season’s end when he was playing much better.

He’s not ready yet. I think he has tons of potential and the tools to be a quality NHLer someday, but he wouldn’t be completely ready for Hamilton yet, let alone Montreal.

As scrowe21 said, no need to rush him since we don’t need him right now. Let him develop the proper way. FYI, the Hunter brothers do a fantastic job of developing these youngsters into NHLers and I’m very happy Jarred plays for them (plus I get to see him play and develop living in London). If you’re so inclined, check out the London Knights and see how many quality pros they’ve turned out over the last little while.

– Honestly yours

17. j2w4habs25 says:

7 more days for the pre season.

Carey Price #31

18. SmartDog says:

It’s only rookies and try-outs… but ACTUAL hockey to talk about. Wow. Nice.

19. HabsPEI31 says:

And who ever really cared about what the (Toronto) National Post had to say about our Canadiens?

To be honest, I don’t read the darn thing. So I couldn’t even tell you if they have any hockey writers worth the cost of the paper.

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

• j2w4habs25 says:

The National post puts us in 8th spot? I’d have to agree with habsPEI31 “not even clicking the link” they should have had TML in 8th.. so they can actually brag and be happy about something lol.

Carey Price #31