Idle Canadiens slip a notch

MalkinPrice
Buffalo thumped the Bruins 6-0 Wednesday night.
It was Boston’s worst defeat in almost four years.
Canadiens fans like this … except it bumped the Sabres up to 12th place.

The Canadiens, who play the Islanders Thursday night, slipped to 14th.

The Malkin spin-o-rama stirs debate

Darche earning ice time

PK highlights season

Ovie and the kid

Price keeps smilin’

Louis Leblanc plays like Antoine Vermette

Tim Wharnsby’s power rankings

Souray bounces back

1. Roy93 says:

Have to say this was Carey’s best game of the year, brilliant! I was getting worried at the end. If he continues to play like that the sky is the limit. I can understand all the skeptics because Carey does let in some backbreaker goals. Halak was money in the bank and props for what he did for us. Until he gets us into the finals there will always be that comparison.

2. LA Loyalist says:

Ok, I’ve appointed you GM for the day:

If we could get Grigorenko in the draft (center, large, male) by trading Price would you do it?

Reason being is our profound need for a #1 center (and no, it ain’t Pleks, he’s a great #2) and secondly, according to most of you guys, goalies are a commodity and easily replaced (and don’t say that Price is in the pantheon, because until he wins us a playoff series we don’t deserve to win he hasn’t done jack squat). And Halak having 4 shutouts in his last 7 games has nothing to do with this (maybe a little).

Part 2 – would Price be enough?

Part 3 – No, I would not trade PK. I’ve decided he’s more important to our future than Cary “Shoot Out” Price.

Or maybe I’m just depressed about Schwartz’s.

What would you do?

• tbovs says:

Ok…well….

Grigorenko isn’t sidney crosby…and you need to understand that there is no guarentee that he will pan out at all. In reality your criteria about winning us a playoff series we weren’t supposed to win cause you miss sitting on Halak’s lap is ludicrous. He almost stole us the Boston series last year and is one ofthe only reasons why we even made the playoffs last year. Ya he is in the Pantheon because of the fact that franchise goalies are hard to come by. He is 24 and a superstar…yes he is…and isn’t worth an 18 year old you have no idea that will pan out. Wouldn’t trade either of them for an unknown pick.

Why isthere even a debate about Halak vs Price…does the troll in everyone have to come out with Halaks second half resurgence. He struggled mightily last year and isn’t doing it all by himself this year as most of the Halak lovers state. He has the best defensive coach in the game with one of the best bluelines in the game. Before you call out Price think about the context that Halak is in compared to Price. Just hate the ignorance…btw Brian Elliot is better.

3. Roy93 says:

I wouldn’t give up the farm for Gagner but I would ask. And btw what does size have to do with a player? Sakic, Stevie Y were not big guys but they were superstars. Let me tell you I’ve watched Oilers games for the past 2 months and at 22 years old this kids going to be a star. He’s only going to get better. Worth taking a chance on a guy like that than a Markov with a wonky knee.

4. awesomerino says:

I think it’s just adorable that 21% of HI/O users think the Canadiens can still make the playoffs. They’re the people who make pyramid schemes possible.

• Mattyleg says:

I think it’s adorable that you can be so condescending.
      Aww…
      Plus, if you read the question, it’s “do you think the Canadiens CAN make the playoffs”, not “do you think the Canadiens WILL make the playoffs.”
      It’s not an opinion, it’s whether or not it’s actually possible. And it is possible.

So I guess it’s people like you that make can be seen pushing the door clearly marked “Pull”.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• awesomerino says:

Matt, you’re hanging an awfully sanctimonious position on a semantic distinction. Regardless, let me amend my earlier statement: I think it’s adorable that you, in particular, and the remaining now-22% in general, think the Canadiens CAN hypothetically string together the number of wins required to make the playoffs.

And I think it’s doubly adorable you chose to rebut my condescension with more condescension ;)

• LA Loyalist says:

New Jersey Devils couldn’t do it last year and they were playing FAR better than we are. You want to put your money down in Vegas they will happily take it, but most of us aren’t that dumb.

• boing007 says:

Most of our society’s structure is based on the pyramid scheme.

Richard R

5. joeybarrie says:

I’m not sure what all the hate for Kaberle is. Ian ranked him 18th in the list and to be honest, I think he was a good pickup.
    14 pts in 25 games, which would be 46 in an 82 game season. Pretty good on this low scoring team.
    less giveaways than all our other defensemen.
    Leads our defense in points.
    Has his fair share of blocked shots.
    is only a minus 2 in his 25 games with us.
    The only thing he hasn’t done is help the PP. Which no one with any common sense can simply blame him. The whole team sucks at PP right now. No snipers to help make us dangerous. No offense to PK, but the kid couldn’t hit a net twice the size, and that’s when he doesn’t take enough time with his wind up to get 5 players in front of the puck.
    He is a PP QB, but there is no one to actually put the puck in the net for him.
    I hope we keep him. Markov, PK, Kaberle and Gorges are a pretty good top 4.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

6. HabsFan82 says:

If you look at the lines RC put together for tonights game, if that’s not tanking I don’t know what you’d call it

Moen is a 3rd liner Darche is a 4th liner playing on the 2nd line
    Bourque and Kostitsyn are 2nd liners playing on the 3rd line
    Eller is a 2nd or 3rd line center, Leblanc a good 3rd line right winger they’re both playing on the 4th line. that’s where Gomez and Darche should be with whom ever. oh well, better draft pick looks like they’re playing for might as well we’re not making the playoffs anyway.

7. sprague cleghorn says:

As for the spinerama in shootouts: Once you have accepted the concept of settling a hockey game by doing something other than playing hockey, the details become more or less irrelevant. The Superman capes and mini-sticks of the All Star sideshow are different from a regular shoot-out in degree but not nature.

On the other hand, a debate about the “spinerama” at least has the virtue of keeping alive the memory of the great Danny Gallivan, who originated the word as a play on the then popular “Cinerama”.

As was said in the House of Commons to Neville Chamberlain in 1940: You have sat too long here for any good you have been doing. Depart, I say, and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!

I was just rating the value of our remaining roster, taking in to account age and playing value etc. What do you think? I feel the last 5 have to be replaced.

#
    15 Moen
    16 Gomez
    17 Campoli
    18 Gill
    19 Kaberle
    20 Weber

Budaj, fits somewhere half way down I think.

# next years roster=Gionta–Markov–White –Blunden

• kirkiswork says:

I would keep, 1, 3, 4, 5, 6 ,7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 and maybe 2.
      The rest I would replace or buy out.

• Ian Cobb says:

I still like Darche and Moen for the 4th line when White gets back.

• kirkiswork says:

Moen could be a keeper too but I am not so sure about Darche. Can’t wait for White to get back though.

• sanman_11 says:

When White gets back I wonder if they will keep LeBlanc up with the team. I think they should send him down so that he gets more playing time. He’s gotten a taste and for sure it’s helped him mentally because he now understands what it takes to be a pro league roster player. He can go down and keep developing those attributes.

• Ian Cobb says:

Darche is the type of player every team needs, competes hard, kills penalties and fore checks both ends well. Can even put the puck in the net once and a while. No flash, does not take cheap penalties, works hard.

• habfan53 says:

It was interesting seeing Darche last night. He was commenting on his 21 minutes of ice time saying “If we had lost why was I playing 21 minutes even after we won fans asked why I played 21 minutes”.
          The man knows where he stands. I love his work ethic. does not complain and gives everythin every shift. When the kept him last year I was pissed off I felt they should have kept Metropolit. (Still do). However there is no better model for hard work and determination on the team.

to paraphrase Nixon: If the Bruins do it, it is not illegal

• Ian Cobb says:

I liked Metro as well, I’d take him back when his European contract runs out at the end of this year. Depending on who else we can pick up.

• chemic says:

Ian, Metropolit will play in switzerland for the upcoming 2 years because he signed earlier this year a new contract with one of his former teams there. he probably gets more money there as when he would sign a contract with an nhl-team.

• petefleet says:

10 Cole
      11 Kostitsyn
      12 Bourque
      13 Diaz
      14 White
      15 Darche (?)

The rest will be gone for sure and really aren’t a piece of the puzzle.

Good post for thought.

******************************************

Nothing would be written at all if a man waited until he could write it so well that no one could find fault with it.

***Habs Forever***

• habsnyc says:

When a team is in 14th place out of 15 the problem is not the talent at the bottom of the roster. The problem is the lack of talent at the top of the roster.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Ian Cobb says:

The problem is at the top alright, very poor coaching right from the get go this year. Different game for some older coaches, game passed them by.

• habsnyc says:

bad coaching, bad management, insufficient talent.
          this is not going ot be fixed, by getting a new #6 defenseman and a new fourth line center.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• G-Man says:

16 and 19 have to go. If the Habs lose enough by Feb. 27- #17, too.
      15 can’t be moved. Have to keep 18 in case AM can’t get back ever.

• LA Loyalist says:

Ian, you ranked Gomez ahead of the stick boy?

9. HABZ24 says:

ive always wondered why everybody comes in to deke on a shootout, how come no one ever rips a slapper or hard wrister? the goalie reads the players moves when deke-ing.thanks buffalo habs NEED TO FINISH 26TH OR LOWER. we are too deep down to make playoffs now, we can actually help ourselves more now by losing more and getting a higher draft choice. hope we are sellers and load up on draft picks.ps:who ever runs this site needs to put a way to automaticly go to the comment box without having to scan through 109 or so comments.

GO HABS GO

10. SmartDog says:

Hey Boone,

Why no comment on the Lucic stick to the head? What, are YOU on Campbell’s payroll now?

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Mustang says:

I also thought that was a really cheap shot. The refs seem to be very inconsistent. Earlier in the season they called penalties that appeared to be non-existant, now they are letting all kinds of stuff go unpunished.

11. HabsFan82 says:

some of you people have short memories – you talk about bringing in big tough players that’s suppose to be our problem too small and now you want to pick up Sam Gagne. sorry he ain’t big and he ain’t tough. don’t get excited he’s having a good month. on average he’s a 15 goal scorer.

• habsnyc says:

Yahoo sports credits Gagner with 15 hits in 47 games this season. He has more career goals than hits. All-Star wings like Selanne or Kessel can get away with that, but a 15 goal scorer needs a physical aspect to their game. As an aside, wth 158 career goals and 32 career hits, you get the reason why the Bruins did not have a problem dealing Kessel.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Les Canayens says:

He was also placed on waiver not long ago. For those who want to pick him up now that he’s hot and will cost assets, why not just snatch him off for nothing?

Short memory indeed.

Edit: you guys are right, he was never placed on waiver. He was injured last season. Now ironically it’s my own short memory defaulting on me.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
      ❝ I can’t really hear what Jeremy says, because I’ve got my two Stanley Cup rings plugging my ears.❞

• J_P says:

Some people? I would say 90% of habs fan base have short-term memories. You’re 100% right. Gagner is a perennial 40-50 pt player whos played 5 seasons. Two months ago no one wanted him, and now all of sudden he has 15 points in 5 games and everyone thinks we need him.

If i was the oilers I would definitely be shopping him right now trying to bank on some other GM having a short-term memory also.

• The Cat says:

Its all about having a good mix, if Gagner is available and not too pricy and hes an upgrade over that type of player on the habs, then why not.

12. HabsFan82 says:

they shouldn’t have to look for players off other teams to come to montreal. the players we draft if the scouts know talent should be all that’s required. other teams players are either on the downside of their careers or the team can’t afford to keep them so we foot the bill and when a good player becomes available we don’t have the money we’ll never become a cup contender building like that. stay within and we’ll do fine. quit paying to better some other team. look at how we helped the Rangers.

13. Roy93 says:

I say to the Habs go get Sam Gagner EDM but it might be too late. This guy is friggin unreal. Plays RW/C. He’s gonna be a superstar if he alreadu isn’t. Had another 2 points last night. Edmonton might welcome a package with some of our dman. It’s worth a try.

• G-Man says:

After waiting all season for him to turn it around, you think Edmonton will want to trade him? Wow.

• J_P says:

Now is exactly the time to trade him as his value just skyrocketed. Edmonton needs defense badly, and Sam Gagner just became that much more valuable of a chip to negotiate with.

• sanman_11 says:

We have enough guys we are waiting for to turn it on…Gomez, AK, Eller. Just remember Brian ‘Mr. October’ Savage always looked good for a month.

• J_P says:

Hes definitely on fire right now, but tts easy to get seduced by a guy whos scored 15 points in his last 5 games and guys get on hot streaks all the time. If I was edmonton I would definitely try to capitalize on it, but hes been in the league for 5 seasons now and has been a consistent 40 – 50 point player. There’s a reason why he has been at the center of edmonton trade talks all season. If im edmonton, I definitely try to unload him, but I dont want to be the guy overpaying for him at the other end. I mean if Diaz or Weber gets its done, sure, but i highly doubt thats all it will take.

• WindsorHab-10 says:

Friggin unreal? Give me a break. The guy had one good game.

• bleedhabs81 says:

Edmonton is not trading Gagner. He fits perfectly with what they are trying to do. Young, cheap and skilled.

14. Thomas Le Fan says:

So … if a player who just got a penalty can appear in the shootout, I have to ask can a player receive a penalty for what happens in a shootout? Cause then, if I’m a goalie, any player even remotely looking like he might do the spin, is going to get the two hander to end all two handers. Foul’s fair.

• ths says:

Good point ! Take the guys knees out. or just skate at him and slide stacked pads. Fight fire with fire

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

• JimBob says:

But it was all well and cool when Lars Eller did it, what, 2 weeks ago??

• Thomas Le Fan says:

I consistently oppose all aspects of the shootout. However, if it’s legal then it’s legal. I’m wondering what else is legal. Does the rule say that the goalie can’t foul the shooter?

• J_P says:

Ellers was pretty bad also. I definitely dont think Ellers should have counted because one, rules for shootouts are apparently different than rules for penalty shots, and two because Eller took the goalie out before putting the puck in!

Grabovski’s was the only spinorama I have seen in a shootout that I would deem legit as his was different than all the others (he went back to the forehand) and the puck was always in forward motion. Malkin’s was probably the worst iteration I have seen of the spin-o-rama as he pretty much completely stopped.

15. DearyLeary says:

The Bruins lose, we gain ground on a lottery pick, and we’re still on a two game winning streak. Feels kinda good.

16. Ali says:

TEST

edit: yeesh. posts werent showing up. fixed now apparently

17. alwayssunny says:

It was great to see Gomez getting almost 3 minutes of power play time the other night. Never mind the kids, they will get better by osmosis. I’m glad the organization still believes in this guy and knows it’s just a matter of time until he busts out of this thing. He’s snakebit, you might say. It’s important that they keep playing him and playing him and playing him and hopefully he will pot one and it will boost his confidence so he can come back and have a great preseason next year. Last we heard from Gainey a few months ago he was still telling us what a good player Gomez is so it can’t be questioned.

• HabsFanInTampa says:

You’re being sarcastic, right?

• ths says:

Gomez is great for Montreal. When he finally scores every bar in Montreal will offer a free round. Chez Paree will offer free lap dances to anyone wearing a Gomer jersey. The puck will be auctioned on ebay for millions. There will be a parade and riot down St Catherine st. The quebec govt has promised to ratify the Meech lake Accord. Carey will ride a rodeo horse through the Queen E lobby after the game. There will be 40 days of festivities and Montreal will make world news. China will cancel all it’s US and European debt heralding a new golden economic age. So lay off the guy. He has been sent by God.

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

18. Chuck says:

Any word yet on Lucic’s stick to Kaleta’s head last night? Or its the NHL going to pretend that that douchebag move didn’t happen?

• krob1000 says:

Lucic is not subject to the same disciplinary code as the rest of the NHL….given his limited mental capacity and the fact many scientists consider him “the missing link” he is given a little more leeway and thus has avoided beign subject the same rules as everyone else. In this case however there may very well be discipline as he was involved with someone in close proximity on the evolutionary scale….the axe just may fall this time.

• montreal ace says:

No damage to Lucics stick, but Kaleta has been warned.

• db says:

Not even a hiccup..

• SmartDog says:

Nada, nuthin, zip.

Encroyable.

It’s strange to say it, but Lucic is protected by Shanahan obviously.
      Imagine if that were PK. Or a hit on a Bruin. Claude Julien would be so twisted up it would take him weeks to get his underwear off.
      ————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

19. krob1000 says:

I know many on here are not fans of Michael Landsberg but his show last night called “depression and hope” was pretty incredible…it was about him, Stephane Richer, Darryl Strawberry, Clara Hughes and their daily battles with depression….pretty compelling stuff and clearly will make impessions and save lives if his past show with Richer is any indicator. http://www.tsn.ca/other_sports/story/?id=387217

• Ali says:

yeah, big ups to Landsberg. He’s done a world of good raising awareness in this area.

• Rob D says:

Those of us who have lost family members to suicide know the devastating shock waves it can send through everyone involved.

I lost my brother-in-law in 1982 and it still grabs me by the heart when I least expect it.

He didn’t talk about being depressed but he was. He was an accomplished person,,a father..a “man’s man”… avid sports lover…we never saw it coming.

We have to make admitting to depression/mental problems acceptable. Women are allowed, it seems, to seek help without feeling a stigam. For men, it’s still something only “weak willed” guys do.

I applaud any campaign to help people get their lives back on track. I am positive my brother-in-law was just having a temporary depressive episode that would have passed if had been able to talk to someone..like a professional or a close friend. He was the last guy in the world people would have expected to be depressed since he was almost always cheerful and fun loving. And that’s the problem..he felt like he had to play that role for us and his friends even though he was suffering greatly in his soul.

20. awesomerino says:

In this abortion of a season, can anyone be disappointed that the Habs slipped to 14th? I’m thrilled. I’d much rather have the lottery pick. Now don’t confuse this with me advocating tanking, because I think that’s counterproductive. But I would like to see the kids play the bulk of the minutes and trade as much dead veteran weight as we can.

From my view, and to paraphrase the Breakfast Club (I’m sure that happens all the time here), the Habs are like a fat person who used to be attractive, and you can still see the remnants of that attractiveness buried beneath the layers of flab. Price, PK, Eller, DD, Pacioretty, Leblanc, Emelin, and Diaz are a wonderful young core, complimented by solid vets like Cole and Gorges. If PG’s replacement can shed/bury the crappy, bloated veteran contracts and put that money to better use, I think the Canadiens could easily be a dramatically improved team as soon as next year. Especially if the young core gets the chance to play in quality situations, build confidence/chemistry together, AND we get to draft a top 5, or dare I dream, top 3 pick in June.

21. Les Canayens says:

It’s not a myth anymore that certain players do not want to come to Montreal, as this Radio Canada piece shows:
    Marian Hossa openly said “it’s more peaceful” in US markets, and Scott Hartnell said he “respect guys who play there (MTL) and play well”. Chara said the focus on other pro sport teams helps.
    Although Dany Dubé did point out it’s also tough to play in New York (Rangers), I think that’s probably the exception among US cities.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

• montreal ace says:

Montreal has to over pay to attract free agents, and that hinders our ability to ice the best team possible. I think that if a player wants to play in Tampa when we offer more money to play here, there should be compensation to the Habs in some form. The compensation could be in the form of a draft choice, if we bid a million more for a player, lets say a 2nd rounder. Its ridiculous that we would send money to Tampa, to pay for a player who decides he likes less pressure and more sun. The Habs or any other Canadian city is going to have a hard time winning another cup if something is not done to rectify this situation.

• boonie says:

What does a small market team get if they can’t afford to match offers made by bigger market teams…?

Hossa signed to play in Detroit, which has areas worse than some areas in Iraq. In the NFL, players will line up to play in burghs like Green Bay (I’ve been there, yawn.).

Players would have lined up to play here during our glory years or to be in edmonton to line up with Gretzky and messier. If we give them a winner and reason to be here, the players will come. Most – and especially the winners – will sign to play with a winner over (some) money, geography, language, and a zealous media.

Molson has to change the atmosphere.

• HabsFanInTampa says:

It was never a “myth”. C’mon let’s be real. I know Montreal is a beautiful city with fantastic restaurants, museums and culture, Blah, blah, blah. But, why would you want to play here with all the baggage that’s associated with playing in Montreal and La Belle Province in general? Case in point. Detroit is a cesspool, but players want to play for the Red Wings unconditionally.

• Les Canayens says:

Yes it might have never been a myth, but now we finally have players openly, in front of camera, confirm such views.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

• ont fan says:

The inner city in Detroit maybe a cesspool…just outside of town where all the millionaires live is quite beautiful with all the waterways and golf courses

• RGM says:

Hartnell is half-right. Habs fans also “respect guys who play [here] and play well.” This isn’t the place to be if you want to come to a country club atmosphere and collect your millions. I, we, and the organization want players who want to come here to win and to compete. This is why Erik Cole has been so well received.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez, a potential Hall of Fame player, has two Stanley Cup rings and a Calder Trophy that says ‘I’m a player whom any authentic NHL coach will rely on to fix a game problem.’” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• Timo says:

It’s not? I beg to differ. Scott Gomez, Michael Cammalleri did quite well in that regard.

• RGM says:

Mike Cammalleri got a one-way ticket out of town.
          The reception that Gomez gets on a nightly basis is pretty indicative of how well respected he is by the fans for dogging it.

———————–
          GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

22. Laramy87 says:

So the league is going to do first cross border outdoor game, is there a possibiity of a habs-bruins outdoor classic in 2 years? I’d be for it

• Kooch7800 says:

the outdoor games to me are getting old. The ice surface is never as good as regular NHL ice and too be honest the games are not as good either.

Typical NHL squeezing every nickel they can out of anything..

• G-Man says:

I want 1 game on Mt. Royal. At night- that would be a great advertisement for the city, but they’ll probably want it at the Big Bidet/Big White Elephant/ Gigantic Turd- insert your name for the biggest waste of 3.5billion ever.

• ont fan says:

Heard Detroit radio station say,Toronto fans will drive the 200 mi. to see the game. There will be a traffic jam from Belleville to the border. That’s what they are counting on. They also said no other Canadian team could draw 100 thousand along with Red Wings.

23. Maksimir says:

I think we’re winning the Cammy trade so far if you factor in salary:

Cammy: 7 Games – 2G 1A – 3pts – minus 6
    Rene B.: 6 Games – 2G 1 A – 3pts – plus 1

Or the prospect we got, or the 2nd round pick we get in the next draft.

We did give up Ramo, who could be decent goalie, but he didn’t want to come to NHL and be 2nd string behind Price, so he had to be moved eventually.

• habs03 says:

Remember when everyone nuts we traded the great Cedrick Desjardins for Ramo. Atleast PG turned Ramo into an asset while Desjardins is now with the Avs. Typical Gauthier move, wasting assets..wait..

• Still really early but yeah, most definitely. Especially since when the Habs won the rest of the trade hands down (pick and $).

• L Elle says:

You left out Bourque’s shootout goal. What a beauty it was too.

• Habfan10912 says:

Cammy seems to have a problem creating free space on his own. I think in the right situation he can be a big time scorer but it is looking like PG might have won this trade.
      On a more serious note Maks, I was wondering where you got the picture of my wife in your avatar?

• ElMcFoldo says:

I was just on NHL.com checking out the Eastern Conference standings and noticed that all of the teams positioned from 8th to 12th (directly above the habs) have a worse goals for/goals against stat. This shows that as bad as the habs have been this year, they aren’t that far away from being a playoff team next year.

Now don’t get me wrong, this team is toast for the year and doesn’t deserve to be in the playoff hunt this season. However, I can’t help but feel optimistic about next season. Here are my steps for future success:

1. Bury Gomez in the minors/ Buy him out
      -With a new CBA pending, there might be a shot at buying him out sans cap penalty. Maybe we could even dump Kaberle this way. The money saved could then be spent on a rugged, stay at home Dman which despite all the talk of a first line center is the habs real biggest need at this point. Imagine how many of those blown leads we might have held onto with a steady veteran defenseman to help hold down the fort. A guy like Ryan Suter, Shea Weber, Jack Johnson or even a cheaper option like Bryan Allen could make a huge difference.

2. Fill out the 4th line with NHL caliber players who are suited to this role
      - White will be a good start here. Getting him a few capable wingers so that we have a 4th line that can take a regular shift and provide some sandpaper should be a priority. I don’t want one dimensional goons though! We need guys who can play 8-10 minutes without being a liability.

3. Natural progression of the young guys
      -This will happen, even if no moves are made, but can be sped up if the last part of the season is handled properly. Players like Emelin, Diaz, Subban, Pacioretty, LeBlanc, Eller, Desharnais should all be playing heavy minutes from now until the end of the season. They are the future and might as well be the present, too.

4. Keep AK
      -If we can get him for less than 4 million, we should bring him back for another couple of years. His work ethic is still a bit inconsistent, but overall I like what he brings and he seems more engaged than in previous seasons. The key will be finding him the right linemates and getting him to shoot more often. He would benefit from more PP time.

5. Trade away what we can at the deadline:
      Campoli, Gill, Moen and maybe Kaberle (if any GM has an aneurysm), should all be dealt for the best return possible. A few picks or mid-level prospects would help beef up our less than stellar prospect pool. I think the Cammy deal was a great first step toward this goal.

• New says:

The team is winning a bit more as well.

• nunacanadien says:

I don’t think so, Cammy wants to win and since his return to Calgary the fans and players have noticed an improvement in their game. It’s called “wanting to win” something which has been rare in Montreal since 1993.

24. Max says:

Having a shot clock during the shootout would help cut out the spinorama and the 8 second slow dekes ala Patrick kane.The clock would give the player 3 seconds to shoot before the timer runs out.The clock would start running once the player touches the puck at center ice.No shot before the 3 seconds runs out,automatic disqualification.

This would speed up the process and give the goalies more of a chance to defend against unscrupulous shoot out practices.

• slychard says:

I seriously hope the only tweeking made by the NHL regarding the shoot-out is to abolish it once and for all.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Kiss my hAbSS!!!

25. slychard says:

If the shoot-out really needs to stay why not spin the shooter before sending him off to the puck, now that would be entertaining.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• RGM says:

That’s Linus Omark’s patented move.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• slychard says:

Not like him… place shooter’s head on his stick and make him spin continuously before sending him to the puck, like a pic-nic game, you know, a la potato-sack race…

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
        Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• HardHabits says:

I like it. I would also spin the goalie too.

• slychard says:

Sure, why not, and replace the puck with a spin-top thingamagig…

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
            Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• RGM says:

Price does have a perfect SV% on shootout attempts when facing backwards.

———————–
            GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

26. Un Canadien errant says:

How bush-league is the NHL? It required the former Rangers and Flyers who participated in the Alumni game at the Winter Classic to pay.

“…let’s hope the league treats the alumni better than they did this year in Philadelphia. The former Flyers and Rangers were given one economy airfare, a hotel room and meals. But each player had to pay $50 for sticks, was on the hook for $50 to $200 in excess baggage fees for their equipment and had to pay a mandatory $100 gratuity to the locker room and training staff.”

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• TomNickle says:

That’s absolutely sickening.

• petefleet says:

Welcome to the Gary Betman Hockey League. When you yourself have no class, you cannot expect the organization you are in charge of to have any either. Worst of all, we haven’t seen the last of how low this guy can go. Stay tuned.

******************************************

***Habs Forever***

• Marc10 says:

The teams should have stepped up and looked after their own. That’s just pathetic.

If the League can’t get its act together (which lets face it… isn’t that surprising…) you make sure you look after your guys. Weak, weak, weak… Shame!

• HardHabits says:

What? You mean the players didn’t also have to chip in for rental of the rink!

They also sold out the tickets for the alumni game and made Sh#t loads of money off that game.

• New says:

Where does the gate go? In other words there has to be a reason for the alumni game other than the old guys want to play in front of a crowd.

• ont fan says:

Mark Napier said all expenses were taken care of for players and their wives. The Nhl alumni are given $1 million dollars a year from the NHL to help out former players or players families who are in trouble financially or drug and alcohol rehab.

27. Un Canadien errant says:

Easy fix to the spinorama problem: no contact allowed with the goaltender in his crease. The shooter has no excuse, he’s not fighting with a defenceman who’s pushing him into the goalie, so make it black and white.

As far as whether the puck travels backwards or not, the interpretation should be that the shooter cannot retreat with the puck so they can try again because they didn’t like how things were shaping up on their first approach. That’s the reason the rule is in the books. Aside from that, everything goes, let’s entertain the fans.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• TomNickle says:

I said essentially the same thing yesterday. The puck may not need to continue in a forward motion the entire way, but the shooter should have to continue either laterally or forward, never backward.

Bad news. Habs are 14th in the East.

Good news. Habs are 26th over-all.

• TomNickle says:

Here’s my fear Dave. The team finishes with the 3rd pick in next year’s draft. A reasonable person would think that Yakupov and Grigorenko go #1 and #2. So now you’re sitting with the #3 pick and have 3 defensemen who should go consecutively starting with your pick.

Will our General Manager have the shrewd nature to trade down to a #5 or #6 to select Alex Galchenyuk?

It’s a fear of mine because with Beaulieu, Tinordi, Subban, Emelin and Ellis this team really doesn’t need another defenseman who may become elite. It needs a forward who will.

• G-Man says:

Brendan Gaunce is a sizeable alternative but Alex Galchenyuk has a lot of offensive upside, which is what the Habs will need going forward.
        Then again, if the Habs go on a run the draft picks fans want will not be available.

• Landof10000lakesHab says:

I have no fear what-so-ever. Things turned out well with the last top 5 pick.

• RGM says:

Don’t tell that to the people around here, Jack Todd, or other wingnuts.

———————–
          GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• The Gonk says:

If we are out of the top 3 but in the top 8, we chooose Forsberg or Galchenyuk. Personally, I’d go with the former since it’s risky having 2 Russians with bum knees. Our draft strategy could be bold should we happen to land another last 1st round pick if the market is good for moving Moen.

• HardHabits says:

It’s funny you should mention that. In conversations with work colleagues and friends who are mentally prepared for a low finish, many are resigned to the notion that the Habs will flub their high pick regardless.

The Habs seem to either go for what they think is the best available player when they pick and tend to protect their current players. It’s why (IM0) they never picked centres when they had Koivu and it is why they probably wont pick a goaltender while they have Price.

I hope they draft a centre or at the very least a potential 1st line winger with their pick. I also hope they pick a goaltender or two, either this draft or soon down the road. My belief is that a good goal-tending tandem is better than throwing all your eggs in one basket. Price cannot be playing 70 games in the regular season and then be expected to carry the team throughout the play-offs as well.

My hope is that the Habs have learned from their past mistakes and also take to heart many of the criticisms that have been levied their way. I also really hope they manage to land another 1st pick via trades by the deadline. There can never be too many good prospects in the system.

• It’s a moot point cause the Habs are gonna win every game for the rest of the year and make the playoffs… right?

• krob1000 says:

I agree….any one of the top 4 forwards and it is a success (yak, Grig, Forsberg or Galchenyuk). With Dumba and Murray touted so highly….I agree…if we know who wants what then it may be wise to trade down. I am not sure who I would select first though between Forsberg and Galchenyuk….Forsberg is a prettty safe picka nd is at the least projected to be a 2nd line guy at worst and a first line/border line star as is. Galchenyuk has superstar talent…but the mystery makes it scary given his knee issues…and our current troubles with knees make it that much more of a gamble from managements perspective. If we did have to take a dman…it isn;t the end of the world…because it could allow us to make a deal down the orad as we are stacked at D as is and would be even more so…but you are right we need one of those top 4 forwards….everyone talks of Gaunce..that is fine but he is not int he same category as the other 4..right now anyway.

• habsguy says:

Alex Galchenyuk has already had major knee surgery.

• ont fan says:

Or will he trade up with Edmonton so they can get the defenseman they want.

So Erik Cole has a brilliant response for how goalies should stop the spinorama. Take paddle of stick chop players leg out and watch them fall on their heads. LMAO, this guy is great, he plays with all heart, and he speaks his mind without having EarlGrey come out.

• petefleet says:

LMAO

******************************************

***Habs Forever***

• smiler2729 says:

Kelly Hrudey said the same thing on HNIC radio, “do a half pokecheck and trip him”

__________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

30. Top Corner says:

Whats this “big” announcment from the NHL today??? anyone have any clue what the duece this is about??

31. G-Man says:

blah, blah, blah, etc.
    -edit- spin, spin, interference, etc…

32. Les Canayens says:

Also when Eller did the same move all was well and good.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

33. Les Canayens says:

Jacques Demers went on a pilgrimage to l’Oratoire St-Joseph during the 1993 playoffs, so the Church certainly feels it has something to do with the Habs’ fates, as demonstrated in the before the last paragraph in this priest’s address: http://www.cccb.ca/site/frc/salle-de-presse/archives/declarations-publiques/2010/2963-notes-dallocution-de-mgr-pierre-morissette-president-de-la-conference-des-eveques-catholiques-du-canada-lors-de-la-reception-au-college-pontifical-canadien-a-rome-suivant-la-canonisation-du-saint-frere-andre-le-17-octobre-2010

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

34. montreal ace says:

I would not mind some divine intervention on our PP, and a few prayers for Gomez.

35. shiram says:

Why do you relate a news piece with how the Habs view reality?
    You could say Jacques Lemaire and the Catholic church are disconnected with reality.

36. Les Canayens says:

By climbing the stairs on his knees. Just don’t injure again them while doing it.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

37. shiram says:

Pure nonsense.

Blunden stays, but on the 3rd line. He is very green yet, but will be a big body in front. Good hands.

39. Mattyleg says:

There’s no ‘admittance’, only acknowledgement.
    And all those who answered ‘no’ are plain wrong.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

40. Mattyleg says:

THAT’S what’s been sticking in my craw this whole time…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

41. Mattyleg says:

…to what you wrote.
    Not to the question, which should be “Will they make the playoffs.”

CAN the Canadiens win all of their remaining games? Yes. It’s possible.

WILL they win them all? Unlikely to the point of impossibility, so: No

—Hope Springs Eternal—

42. chilli says:

On that note, Gomez can technically still have a 50 goal season….

Tre