Idle Canadiens drop to 13th

Geoffrion
It was Hockey Night in the Rest of Canada.
And wins by the Islanders and Tampa Bay dropped the Canadiens two notches down in the Eastern Conference standings.
The good news: the Leafs were stomped in Vancouver.
Six points – but four teams – separate the Canadiens eighth-place Toronto.

More good news: Blake Geoffrion had an impressive debut in Hamilton: a goal, an assist, eight shots on goal, plus-1 … and First Star selection.

•  •  •

The Canadiens have recalled Aaron Palushaj from Hamilton.

Erik Cole, David Desharnais and – ominously – Louis Leblanc took therapy days and were absent from Saturday practice.

•  •  •

After the Canadiens practice on Saturday, Carey Price contextualized the trade of Hal Gill by describing NHL players as “pawns in the game.”

Hit it, Bob:

1. JF says:

Last night’s results are actually good for the Habs. On the one hand, 8th place is no further away than it was. On the other, the tighter it is at the bottom of the Conference, the more likely it is that, if we don’t make the playoffs (as we almost certainly won’t), we finish near the bottom. It keeps both options open for the moment.

• ZimHabwe says:

Your analysis is simple but one of the best posted. Something the “tankers” should put into perspective. The point range between 15 and 8 is so small, we could easily end up at the bottom anyways without having to try and tank.

2. joshn says:

For your enjoyment, put together a little Scott Gomez meme: http://t.co/tCU9uEpX

3. slychard says:

Why would I find something like THIS http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/kid-montreal-artist-honors-gary-carter-song-142040358.html
    Instead I find crusty Dylan on a site where THIS should be on.
    This site has as much common sense as the hab front office…

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Kiss my hAbSS!!!

4. sreuel says:

The closer we fall in the standings we can get a great pick. Who knows someone like a Crosby, Hall mix. Also all the draft picks from the up coming trades could help.

5. habs17 says:

Cammalleri score’s and the flames in a playoff spot now, Time for bourque to step it up

President of the Scott Gomez Fan Club

(I support Scott Gomez)

• momotan69 says:

Cammy 3 goals, 0 assists -5

Bourque 4 goals 1 assists +1

Bourque costs you half the $. Your getting double the bang for the buck.

• O-ZoneVertigo says:

@habs17 But the situation was different- the Flames were only 4 points out the 8th when Cammy joined them- more doable than what the Habs were at (11 or 13 points behind the 8th) at that time. So you can’t really compare it that way. If anything, as @momotan69 pointed out the stats, I think Bourque’s number is even more ‘meaningful’ given our situation- we’ve cut our deficit by 1/2 and if we won today, we are 4 points out.

Also as others have pointed out before, we freed some money in our cap and we get a 2nd round pick this summer. Plus Cammy wasn’t happy here anyway. So whether we make it to the playoffs or not, I think we get the better part of the deal.

• DorvalTony says:

Nomez will pick up the slack. His 3rd goal will come April 1.

6. Rainrocket16 says:

How the Hell can the Flyers gain Kubina and be still able to discuss Nash? God our GM Sucks!

7. slychard says:

Dylan, umph yikes and egad. Could we not pick something more contemporary say like… Bing Crosby or Kraftwerk?

• Stev.R says:

Dylan is the greatest songwriter of the last 100 years. He’s timeless.

• slychard says:

The greatest songwriter of the past 100 years? I can go on about this, on many different styles, but if I was to stay within the “rock” gender, I choose the Beatles. Hands down. Yet with my obvious inclination to this group of songwriters and performers I will throw this curve ball at you, I can honestly tell you that Fiona Apples’ version of Across the universe is the most exquisitely haunting version of the song I’ve ever heard. I PREFER it to the Beatles version. Sacrilege. Yes. What’s my point? Sure, Dylan is a good writer, but I prefer ANY vocalist singing his song (even if it was Justin Bieber) then having to listen to his vocal styling. Understand? He gets under my skin. The only song of his I thought suited his voice was “Love somebody” It felt passable to me for some reason to hear him singing this song. I have no other explanation for this. Another thing is the constant “throw back” scrap. Live in the now. I would rather listen to new artists then old. I did radio for 12 years and used to argue with the PD to insert groups like Nirvana and NIN or anything but the hairband scrap back in the early 90’s. That was the most frustrating thing in the world. I actually got in a fist fight with the guitarist for Warrant at a radio promotion in Boston because I told them what I thought of them. Scrap. He went on stage with a bandage on his hand the next day. I woke up at an interns’ house with her staring at me. Good times…

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
        Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• 24moreCups says:

I didn’t read your whole post but from what I did read you were saying Dylan can’t sing, listen to the album Nashville Skyline, his duet with Johnny Cash is simply amazing.

Also he is one of the greatest song writers ever, also musically he’s wonderful.

Also his voice suited his music and I thought he sounded great not everyone has to sing in perfect key for their music to be good.

• slychard says:

Now you pair him with Cash, a mournful treasure for God’s sake. Angels sound off compared to Cash. He was a singer. A song writer. A musician. Read my whole post.
            I love hockey but I am a brute describing music and style, I can wipe critics with a quick hand. I’ll remain humble, music is a matter of taste not class. But I once told a PD that Hole’s “live through this” CD was unique and should be played. He said the common crap like warrant and such was the market. Two months later he had no choice. He was no ground breaker for the market… his loss. To this day, (I’m out of that braket) an e-mail comes, from him, what d’you think Sly?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
            Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• DorvalTony says:

Dylan was guru to Hendrix and the Beatles, that’s my musical trinity. And Willie Dixon leading the heavenly choir.

• Michael says:

1. John Lennon
        2. Paul McCartney
        3. Bob Dylan
        4. Thom Yorke
        5. (tie) Mick Jagger & Keith Richards

• slychard says:

I’m a moron. Happy?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Kiss my hAbSS!!!

8. smiler2729 says:

Why didn’t “Baby Boom” Geoffrion get the call? Palushaj again??

__________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

9. Phil C says:

Wow, impressive start for Geoffrion, especially the 8 shots. I think we will see him on the big club before the end of the year at this rate. Boomer-Eller-AK would be a nice 3rd line.

• DorvalTony says:

“Young Mr. Morenz” is a centre though. At least as I read hockeydb.com

Name dropping: I played baseball against his dad Danny in Dorval and skated with him in one practice/tryout. I don’t know what he was doing there, he was twice the skater of anyone I’ve ever seen except for one M. Corriveau who was the purest all around I’ve ever seen.

10. habs17 says:

THANK YOU we win tmrw we are 4 points back whoooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! I BELIEVE

President of the Scott Gomez Fan Club

(I support Scott Gomez)

11. Stev.R says:

Always said this site needed more Dylan. Brilliant…

12. twocents says:

I wonder if the generosity shown by Nashville in the Gill trade was partially informed by the remaining “future considerations” negotiated in the Sergei deal.

13. Lecoach says:

Only Pawns in a game? Multi-millionaire pawns…. I’d volunteer for that.

14. piter says:

Will Geoffrion play with the Habs this season? Or would he have to clear waivers when he gets called up, or when they send him back down??

15. EastCoastHab says:

The baseline stays the same however. 6 points back given Washington lost.
    Tomorrow is another day, the games in hand (like tonight) will look like a setback but we are still 5-1-1 and in control of our own destiny.
    Not giving up….not by a long shot!

16. Kooch7800 says:

So anyone now why the called up Paulisj? who is hurt?

17. Sal says:

HH thats exactly how I view the situation

Sal from the Hammer

18. DorvalTony says:

Actually lots of people here want the Canadiens to throw games. The Bruins contest was the ultimate refutation to that tribe.

NHL goalie rankings: http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20122ALLGAGAll&sort=goalsAgainstAverage&viewName=goalsAgainstAverage