‘I feel like it’s my home,’ Habs’ Markov says about Montreal

For the third time in his 13-season NHL career, Andrei Markov decided not to test the free-agent sweepstakes, instead signing a new three-year, $17.25-million contract with the Canadiens this week. The new deal has a no-trade clause for the first year and a limited-trade clause the next two.

The deal pays Markov $5.75 million per season, the same amount he has been earning for the past seven years on average.

In a one-on-one interview with Markov, The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs asked the 35-year-old defenceman: “After earning the same salary for seven years weren’t you tempted to ask the Canadiens for one more dollar, just so you could say you got a raise?”

“You have to realize you’re getting older,” Markov replied with a laugh. “I feel comfortable in Montreal. My first priority was to sign there. I didn’t think about other (UFA) options.

“Maybe if I go on the free market I can get more. But after the money, maybe I lose more – maybe I lose the atmosphere, the city and the organization of Montreal.

“I’m not the type of guy who likes to change his life completely in hockey,” he added. “What is happening in Montreal right now, I feel like it’s my home. I don’t want to move to another city. Plus, I have a chance to spend the whole of my career on one team. The Canadiens have a great history and it’s nice to be part of that.”

Markov, who has put earlier knee injuries behind him, added: “Now, I feel good. I’m healthy, I know I can play at my level. I’ll try even harder and plus, we have a good team, a good group of guys. I think we’re going to have a good future and I want to be part of that team.”

(Photo by Allen McInnis/The Gazette)

Markov looks like a Hab for life with new contract, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

1. Chris says:

Probably the best summary of the TV rights situation that is available. The summary:

1. The Montreal Canadiens chose to sell the regional rights to RDS instead of TVA, preventing TVA from “nationalizing” all 82 games as RDS was able to do in the past. So blame the Canadiens for trying to keep both companies happy (and thereby insuring a bidding war next time the rights come up).

2. The blackout of regional games outside of the region (Eastern Canada, Quebec, and Ontario east of a line from Pembroke to Belleville but excluding the Ottawa valley for the Montreal Canadiens) is mandated by the NHL. Rogers has no say in it…direct your petitions and complaints to the NHL.

Nothing is likely to change until the current deal expires in 2026. This is why deals of that length should never have been permitted by the NHL in the first place.

Montreal fans were getting a loophole because the French language rights were never broken up like the English language rights have been for a few deals. Now they are, and Habs fans don’t have the 82 game access that they once did…it will be a costly combination of Centre Ice and cable packages to do it.

Worse for anglophone Habs who actually didn’t mind watching on CBC, the English language rights for the national games are a mess. The Leafs appear to be getting the CBC almost exclusively. The Canadiens and Senators will be alternating between City TV and Sportsnet, so you’ll have to be checking the schedule each week.

• myron.selby says:

Something doesn’t add up here. If RDS has rights to 60 games in the Quebec viewing area why can’t TVA get the national rights to those games and black them out in the Quebec area?

This whole concept of regional vs national is kind of bizarre. Why would the Habs willingly lock themselves out of the rest of Canada for 60 games when they could have simply gone the whole way with TVA?

2. myron.selby says:

So in all this sturm und drang over access to Habs games for us poor benighted WHF (western Habs fans), I have a question – is there any reason why TVA can’t broadcast all Habs games since they seem to have the national rights?

I remember a few years ago before RDS was even a gleam in TSN’s little anglo eye, TVA used to broadcast all the Habs games. I got to watch them free on Shaw cable. Unfortunately, that ended when the ANIK 2 satellite fell out of the sky.

Also is there any reason why TVA can’t broadcast the games on their main network like they used to? I already get that channel on Shaw for free. Hell, I’d be happy to pay for TVA Sports the same way I currently do to get RDS if they would show all the games.

2 things I do not want to do:
    – have to track across multiple channels to find some portion of the Habs games
    – pay those swine at the NHL for their hockey network

I want a solution that allows me to record/time delay all Habs games and watch them while the game is still in progress. Is that too much to ask? I have a couple of techie friends looking into solutions.

• Chris says:

National rights are limited to 22 games in the French language deal, 32 games in the English language deal.

So there is no way for them to nationalize all 82 games, because RDS owns the other 60 games and the NHL mandates that regional games be blacked out in non-regional markets.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

THAT’s what all the Sturm und Drang is about Myron …some kind of ‘solution’

____________________________________________________

For all HIO members: this is Scott Moore’s Twitter account link; https://twitter.com/MooreScottmoore

Scott Moore is President of Sportsnet and NHL Hockey for Rogers.

Any of You with a Twitter account, give him Your opinion of the Roger’s television access for Our Montreal Canadiens

While You’re at it, provide him the link to Our petition page so he can sign it :)

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

3. Habitant in Surrey says:

OKAY !!! …WARNING !!!

This is a naked egotistical advertisement to solicit Twitter Followers.

I see Eugenie Bouchard has 190. 000+ Followers …and, I ask Myself WHY ??? do I only have 11 ???

My Twitter handle is HabInSurrey …let’s put Eugenie’s numbers to shame ! :(

Go for it ! …Follow Me !!!

…if You haven’t anything better to do, that is :)

4. Un Canadien errant says:

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger · 42m

Trade senses are on high alert. Starting to sound like Kesler deal is inching closer. Still working on destination, but next 24hrs, perhaps.

Of course, Mr. Dreger had this other pearl of wisdom to offer:

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger · Jun 25
    Action should heat up tomorrow. If the offers on the 1st pick overall don’t improve, Florida intends on holding on to it.

So the Panthers will trade if they get a good offer, but won’t if they don’t?

Fascinating!

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

5. Maritime Ronn says:

adamkennelly says:
    ………..go get Blake Wheeler and Zach Bogosian outta the Peg – trade anyone you need to except for Chucky, Gally, Price and PK and be done with it.
    ———————-
    hi adam

Wheeler 27 year old Top 6 – 69 point man
    Bogosian 23 year old Top 4 Damn.

IF ever a GM considers to trade one of its Top 6 or Top 4, he wants a huge return ( a trade win) and AT LEAST an immediate Top 6-Top 4 of the trading partner….and NOT +30 year old declining veterans and slow 4th-5th Dmen, or a 1st round pick at the 26 mark + some prospects.

All of that in whatever bundle or combo is unacceptable as most teams already have that secondary stuff.

When the Habs inquire about ANY Top 6-Top 4 of another team, the other GM mentions Price-Subban-Pacioretty-Galchenyuk…Gallagher ‘may’ be part of that discussion and package as would be Eller.

• adamkennelly says:

understood but lets look at it from this perspective.

Winnipeg sucked last year and that franchise has sucked for ages. Clearly what they have going is not working – even tho they have plenty of top end talent (two already named, plus Buff plus Kane)..so – you shake things up…

Habs have Beaulieu, Tinordi, 26st pick, Tokarski and Gorges, Emelin, Eller to play with

Winnipeg needs some goaltending help and obviously they lack depth.

obviously I’m just dreaming – but it sure would be nice..

6. Stevie.Ray says:

I went and saw Kootenay play Saskatoon this year hoping to see what all the fuss was about regarding Reinhart. He had an ok game. The puck seemed to follow him, but Saskatoon was all over him and he didn’t have any impact on the game.

But one player caught my eye. He stole the show. Blazing fast and had the pick all game. Nikita Scherbak! I’m hoping he’s still there at 26.

Come to think of it, that was also the last game Bozon played before he went to the hospital for meningitis

7. Un Canadien errant says:

Habitant in Surrey requested a Habs post, Timo requested a Francis Bouillon post:

I think the report that neither Francis Bouillon nor Mike Weaver got an offer from the Canadiens is good news.

While they both provided precious service to the Canadiens last season, it’s time to provide opportunities to our youngsters in Hamilton. It also gives us a chance to size up on the back end. Both of these guys were tough and played with heart, but as they say, there’s no substitute for cubic inches.

In any case, if management thinks the kids are ready, and won’t melt in the face of the pressure, I want them on the ice, not on the bench or in the pressbox. I don’t mind taking a step back next season, losing a couple extra games, in exchange for the long-term gain.

I was surprised that Francis, as good a man as he is, and as well as he’s played for the last two seasons, didn’t get his walking papers at the end of the year like Douglas Murray and George Parros did. I thought that maybe he was being kept in the bank as veteran insurance, as negotiation ammunition in the dealings with Andrei Markov.

Now that Andrei is signed, we really can’t use him, he’s part of the leftie glut on the blue line, behind Andrei, Alexei Emelin, Josh Gorges, and the two Bulldogs Jarred and Nathan.

So a hearty handshake and well-wishes to both of these gentlemen, and if Marc Bergevin can’t land Erik Gudbranson for what he finds under the couch cushions, let’s sign a veteran stopgap rightie until Magnus Nygren and Greg Pateryn prove that they’re ready and need the icetime.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

8. Maritime Ronn says:

According to TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie, it’s BELIEVED that Kane and Toews have both asked for salaries of about $12 million per year.

**McKenzie notes that both players will LIKELY end up with a lower salary…..but could still see $10 million per year averages.
    —————————————-
    Ovechkin Cap Hit: $9,538M – start 2008 for 13 years.
    Malkin Cap Hit: $9.5M – effective next season for 8 years
    Crosby Cap Hit: $8.7M – effective last season for 12 years.

Toews is absolutely worth the $10M – or close to $10M he seeks when compared to the Top 3 forwards Cap Hits listed above.

Toews is without a doubt, THE best Captain in the NHL and has proven his pressure play as a Conn Smythe winner.

If GMs were asked to choose between Toews and Crosby to build a team around, Crosby would have trouble garnering 5 of the 30 GM votes…IF hockey was the only criteria.

Patrick Kane:
    Proven money player and Conn Smythe winner.
    91 points in 93 playoff games including 37 goals.

• shiram says:

I’d take Crosby (especially on a lower cap hit) and feel that Toews quality as a captain are overblown.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Toews – 2 Stanley Cups-1 Conn Smythe Trophy

Crosby – 1 Stanley Cup (Guerin lead- Malkin performed) where he was MIA in the final, and Malkin won the Conn Smythe.

Google “Crosby dirty hits” and Youtube will show slew footing-cheap shot punches more than a few times…and constant yapping and complaining.

His basic talent in 2nd to none in the NHL, yet his team/player leadership HAS to be questioned.

• shiram says:

Leadership can be easily added, top end talent can’t.
          Crosby is more talented than Toews, as it relates to hockey, plain and simple.
          A ton of star player do the cheap stuff, Subban is certainly another one to do it, it’s something I’ve accepted. We’re not looking for a Lady Byng candidate here.

• Habfan10912 says:

Kane is a very good player but in my opinion he’s not in the Crosby, Towes class.

• Chris says:

Regardless of the Crosby vs. Toews thing (you know my opinion on that one), I would take Patrice Bergeron as a captain before either of the previous two guys, and he doesn’t even wear the C in Boston. For my money, he’s the best leader in the game right now.

If you’re limiting me to guys that are wearing a C, I’ll take Zetterberg at #1. Two-way player, clutch, and massive respect around the NHL.

Others that I would rank pretty highly: Shea Weber, Shane Doan, and Claude Giroux.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

See, I thought eventually because We have the same name, We will agree on something sooner or later Chris. Bergeron is right there with Toews.

I cry tears when I see Him in a Beans sweater.

• Chris says:

Well, he grew up hating the Habs and has never had much interest in playing for them, so I don’t cry tears. But I do admire him as a player. I think he is probably the most underrated star in the NHL.

Toews had 28 goals and 68 points in 76 games last season, running with the likes of Hossa, Sharp and Kane up front and Keith and Seabrook on D.

Bergeron had 30 goals and 62 points in 80 games last season, running with Marchand and Smith as linemates and Chara and Krug on D.

Toews is considered a superstar, while Bergeron kind of flies under the radar.

• ClutchNGrab says:

I would take Toews, I know he had some too, but Crosby’s concussions issues are the big factor.

To think the Pens could have drafted him…

• Chris says:

That would be scary, but Toews would have left like Staal did. He’s not at the same offensive level as Malkin or Crosby (he’s not really all that close), so it would be hard to keep him over the other two.

You can always pick up a good defensive centre. Getting a 100 point forward in today’s NHL is basically impossible.

9. Habfan10912 says:

Post of the day.
    In response to HiS’s question on what is a hash tag, Front writes:

“Something to do with putting too much goo in the bong.”

Front, you are some piece of work my friend.

10. CJ says:

Lots of discussion yesterday regarding the LA Kings and their depth on defence. Looks like they will not be making an offer to Willie Mitchell.

I like his size and experience, but he plays the left side, so, unless we moved one of Emelin or Gorges, I don’t see a fit in Montreal.

11. adamkennelly says:

I find it difficult to believe that Gionta is garnering a lot of interest from other teams. Imagine if you can – that he was not the Habs captain last year – that he played for another team – can you conceive of any scenarios where MB would be interested in signing him?

me neither..

• shiram says:

Some team need veteran leadership more than others, and some teams also have enough players with size and grit that they can take on a Gionta.

18 goals, 40 points, sure it’s not awesome, but it’s a worthy addition for a team looking for some depth.
      He’s won a Cup, and has a great deal of playoff experience.

He might not be a perfect fit for the Habs, but he’s still an NHL player.

• adamkennelly says:

totally agree with you – that being said – I cannot imagine any scenarios where MB would be looking to sign him – had he not been the team captain last year. Lets be honest – he is not what the Habs need. He’ll prolly cost $4M for at least 3 years as well – so definitely forget it.

Habs need some new blood up front – and need room to accommodate.

Hoping for some excitement at the draft tomorrow…

• scamorza says:

agreed. I am tired of the Gionta bashing. He is not a great hockey player, and better offensive days are behind him. But why wouldn’t we consider him for the right price and terms e.g length of contract. He still has value and you touched on all the reasons why this is so. My two cents lets the bashing continue

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• CJ says:

If Gionta was not the Captain, he would have been a healthy scratch in the playoffs.

Folks here clamour for Matt Moulson, who WAS a healthy scratch in the playoffs this year. Sorry, but I would rather throw money at Iggy on a short term deal, then I would at either Vanek or Moulson.

There is something to be said for playoff performance and rising to the occassion.

• scamorza says:

sorry CJ but others played worse than him and did not sit either

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• Habfan10912 says:

I hear what you’really saying bud but there wasnt/isn’t anyone available to play his minutes.

I wonder if it isn’t time to move on though in hopes that Eller, Galchenyuk and Bournival are prepared to take the next step.

• scamorza says:

think they along with Bourque up front were those who exceeded expectations in this year’s playoffs myself so agree

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

12. bwoar says:

Apologies if you’ve been talking about this kid all morning:

Said Ho-Sang, in a lengthy interview: “If I was a general manager and had first pick in the draft, I’d pick me No. 1 … In three years, I’ll be the best player in this draft. And I have no doubt about that. I know myself. I know the other players. I believe in my ability. There are guys ranked ahead of me who are nowhere near me.

“I’m not concerned about the draft (and where I’m picked). I know what’s being said out there. I know people’s skepticism. I’m prepared for that.”

Ho-Sang was talking outside a Second Cup where we sat for more than an hour. He is an engaging young man, confident, curious, intelligent, naive, and now caught in a squeeze he never saw coming: Me against the Hockey World.

***

I’m so completely sold. You know who says stuff like that? Winners, that’s who. Head-to-toe, do-not-die, get-the-last-punch-in winners. All those GMs going “this kid isn’t what the organization is looked for?” They are losers. Losing GMs who will never win with goody-little-2-shoes cookie cutter templates, bread n butter palettes, safe little boxes into which they put players and if they don’t have a box for that type – they simply don’t draft them. Those guys are the losers in this world. Great jobs, top the world hockey management but they won’t last because they can’t handle the winners.

Gimme 10 of these “attitude problems” on a team, they may scrum and swear and stare daggers at one another in practice; they will be unbeatable when the chips are down. All it takes is the coach and management to handle them on the razor’s edge. And that’s not for everyone.

• DipsyDoodler says:

You know who spends an hour in a second cup? Not winners, that’s who.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• habs-fan-84 says:

“I’m so completely sold. You know who says stuff like that? Winners, that’s who.”

Could not agree more bwoar.

• Forum Dog says:

Confidence is definitely good and can propel people to great heights.

Overconfidence is not so good, and can make people delusional about not only their capabilities, but how valuable they are in comparison to others.

I gotta say that Ho-Sang’s comments seem to fall into the latter category. There is no way he “knows” the other players in that draft. And there is no way he is the “best player”. He may have a high level of skill, but there are other guys who are better players. The other guys are “nowhere near” him? C’mon….

PK and his confidence falls into the former category IMO. He is confident, but I have never heard him say stuff like that.

• bwoar says:

I don’t agree, I think it’s all in how it’s expressed. Sure it comes off as “over” confident when you say you’re the best, but what if 5 years from now, he is? Can anyone say that’s impossible? Should he?

I want to highlight this part:

The kid knows people are put off by his brash “overconfidence” if you will, and freely owns it. He doesn’t sound bitter, he sounds like someone used to criticism and who can respond to it the right way. He’s 18 years old. There’s no telling where that self-assurance can take him.

• Forum Dog says:

Fair enough. But if you talk too much about yourself and then can’t back it up, you are little more than an arrogant douche-bag. Hell, even if you can back it up you run the risk of being considered and arrogant douche-bag who happens to be a very, very good player.

I would not condemn Ho-Sang based on a single article (journalists have a habit of overemphasizing or misappropriating people’s statements), and given his talent level would not be surprised to see him go in the 1st round, but you have to admit, some of his quotes are little bit much. It takes a certain kind of person to hold themselves in such high regard, and I’m not sure all of them can be classified as “winners”.

• bwoar says:

He has the key ingredients. If he’s got the talent to go with the confidence then that’s the 2 most important things.

I think most self-respecting people do hold themselves in high regard, but don’t say it out loud. That’s why many get uncomfortable reading it or hearing it. We call it arrogance sometimes and I think that’s a misnomer.

I agree that some of ‘em turn out to be suckers, but, lemme take my chances on the confident ones any day.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Crap, I replied with a post referring to Brian Bosworth and Pat Falloon, and Keyshawn John Son.

Poof!

When will I ever learn…

I don’t know, the way this kid talks doesn’t sound like keyshawn to me. If his game on the ice is unselfish and all about team winning, then i really endorse his attitude. Keyshawn for example was a selfish prick on the field and whined, bitched and complained to the QB virtually every huddle after not getting the ball.

To me that is much much different.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I think that’s precisely the problem that some observers have with him, that he doesn’t pass the puck, plays a selfish type of game, that’s part of the equation.

The way Keyshawn badmouthed Wayne Chrebet, a scrappy guy who worked harder than anyone else, because he was jealous of his targets, spoke volumes about what kind of a teammate he was.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

You know who ALSO say stuff like that? BS’ers or guys who are so arrogant, they can not see anything wrong with themselves. For example, when have you ever heard PK say something like that? PK says he wants to be the best and wants to work hard to become it. This guy thinks he already is the best even though he hasn’t done anything. The NHL is not the NBA where you can play one on one. His game and attitude do not translate to the NHL. No thanks…

13. Vinny Red says:

If you guys think that Rogers will sell a piece of their brand new contract to a competitor who lost in the bidding, Bell (TSN/RDS), you’re nuts. A petition won’t do any good.

So if after say year 3 of the present deal, Rogers/TVA find that they are actually losing money on their deal, they should then be happy they have the deal, accept that they are losing money and enjoy continuing to have bear the brunt of all production costs, enjoy the ad revenue they get (which could be less than they think) and continue to say “We’re Number 1!” ?

I can’t recall details, but reminds of when NBC/Fox bought all the rights to Nascar. Now some years later they indeed sold off some of the races to competitors who lost the earlier bid process.

• Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On ® says:

The national rights to those 60 Hab games that RDS will broadcast regionally belong to Rogers; but the thing is, Rogers apparently has no plan on airing them. So if they’re not going to broadcast those 60 games nationally, why not sell the rights back to RDS?

Because that would allow RDS to monetize those games. I think that the only way this works is that Rogers gives RDS the same deal that they did the CBC: you can broadcast the games, but in exchange we (Rogers) get to keep the advertising revenue.

It would be a big slap in the face to RDS, but at least they’d get to keep their subscribers outside of Quebec and Ottawa.

Hab fans want choice! Sign the petition to give us back our games!

I think the deal is such that Rogers/TVA own the rights to National broadcasts on Saturday/Sunday/Wednesday and maybe one other day. All the other nights games fall on, become regional broadcasts.

• Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On ® says:

Then who is it that’s telling RDS that they can’t broadcast those 60 games nationally instead of regionally? Who would Geoff Molson go to to say, “I want those 60 games back on national TV”?

Hab fans want choice! Sign the petition to give us back our games!

As Chris alluded to the other day, there seemed indeed to be an anomaly with RDS being able to broadcast all those games nationally the past few years. Perhaps because no one else was interested in them?

Wish i could give a definitive answer Chuck, but don’t know the answer.

All I do know, is I am going to miss my Habs next year, I really don’t see me paying the money for Center Ice.

• Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On ® says:

Agreed. :(

Hab fans want choice! Sign the petition to give us back our games!

• Chris says:

The problem was that the French language regional rights (60 games per year) were separated from the French language national rights (22 games per year) for the first time in this deal (this has been the norm for the English language rights for a few deals now).

In previous years, there was no split of national and regional French language rights, allowing RDS to get the entire gamut.

14. ClutchNGrab says:

About +/- . The most useless stat.

If you compare subban and markov this season and you will see that Markov was + 12 and Subban was -4. A difference of 16.

Last year Markov was -9, PK was +12

During the playoffs this year Markov was -4, PK was +1

There is nothing valuable to get out of these stats, without having to put them in context (d partner, offensive line pairing, time during the game, opposition, etc.) and even then it will still be a team stat being converted to an individual one.

• krob1000 says:

Last year Subban won a Norris Trophy and Markov was playing his first season in several years after multiple knee surgeries.

• ClutchNGrab says:

That was my point, you found a context for the 2012-2013 season. There can be others for the 2013-2014 season, the stat by itself is useless.

• krob1000 says:

My point was that Markov despite att imes looking slowish out there still managed to do far more good than bad despite heavy minutes. Subban on the other hand is probably most affected byt hat horrible stretch he had but I really don;t think he should be asking the Habs fro any 8 million dollars…markvo did what was necessary for the team and played as well as Subban (we all know Subban has another level but these sky high figures bother me). HE should do thee right thing and take 6.5 and match Price. Is he leaving moeny on the table? absolutley….does it really matter? is it really going to change his lifestyle? his borther wil also likely be a millionnaire and another one may be as well. HE has a chance to be part of something special….if he is part of a cup win in Montreal it is something that is never forgotten….he will be a living legacy. He grew up a HAbs fan, he has plenty of opportunity for outside incomes in Montreal with the popularity of the team…and he is not mroe valuable than Price…IMO they are equala nd the bar should be set. I looka t the Habs on Capgeek and I see a very cap friendly deal for Patches, a very cap hit friendly deal for Markov, Price is reasonalbe and probably could have got more,etc,etc.

Markov signing at 5.75 should be enough to entice PK to match Price IMO. If 5 years from now the cap is crazy then he and Price can do waht they wish…hoepfully as Stanley Cup champs. If Markov gets 5.754 then wy should PK get 8? Markov plays as much and has been pretty close to as effective while also providing leadership and has a proven track record. Pk did not dramatically outplay Markov this year….this is where I was going with all of that…people knocking the Markov deal and saying Pk should get the moon.

• Luke says:

There’s always value. You just need to understand and use the stat properly.

Typically any +/- between -10 and +10 are a wash. When you start to exceed either end of the spectrum it reflects, IN PART, on the player and team.

• ClutchNGrab says:

A goal is rarely the fault of only one player on the ice, it’s also rarely the fault of all players on the ice. That alone allows for an important margin of error on the stat.

• Forum Dog says:

IMO, the plus/minus stats you outline there are a fairly good reflection of how each guy played.

During his Norris year, PK was full value at +12, while Markov struggled coming back from surgery;

This year, Markov was pretty solid all year long and was a +12, while PK struggled at various points and was a -4;

In the playoffs, PK outperformed Markov in pretty much every regard, and was not surprisingly +1 compared to Markov’s -4.

I agree that there are a lot of variables that factor into a player’s +/-, but (as I’ve said before), it is no coincidence that someone like Ovechkin was a -35. You look at the minus players and they are usually guys who:

A) play for crappy teams; or
      B) are not the most diligent or consistent in the defensive zone.

Not the best measure of a player, but far from useless.

• GrosBill says:

I do not completely agree it is useless.

If you had to guess your worst minus players on Montreal without looking at stats, but you had watched all or most of the games, you would probably be right (Franky B, Murray).

The same for most teams. Yak in Edmonton was no coincidence either, if you ask an Oil fan. You will probably never see any Bergeron line, Kreicji line or Toews, line minus over all at the end of the year. Strong two way lines finish near the top in plus/minus every year. Ovey’s line on the other hand…

It can be useless, especially when pointing to a specific incident without context.

If you know enough players on other teams, and watch them enough, you can usually guess who their worst plus minus guys are.

15. Un Canadien errant says:

After Roberto Luongo, is Vincent Lecavalier the next player to say out loud that his contract sucks? It’s normal that a player and his advisors will take the best deal they can get, but does the turmoil Vincent is going to be subjected to cause players to think about their deal in a different way? To think that there are other considerations than the actual number on the salary section?

Especially for a player like Mr. Lecavalier, who had all the money he’ll ever need when he became a UFA last spring.

Of course, like I posted yesterday, Dave Chapelle had his own take on this subject:

Somewhat relevant quote from Dave Chapelle about how much is enough, how rich does one need to be to be satisfied, from his appearance on David Letterman a few weeks ago:

“The only difference between having $10 million and $50 million is an astounding $40 million. Of course I would have liked to have that money.”

Pretty topical, considering the news that Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane have started negotiations with a $12M figure. Do they want to make oodles of money, or do they want to play in a strong organization with a chance to win for a decade? I suspect it’s the latter, and that their ask will float back down to a more palatable number, that allows the ‘Hawks to keep their core group together.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Hi UCE, two questions from the innocent:

How much do agents’ own egos and ambitions encroach on whatever may be best for their clients?

Do players instruct their agents, Just send me a text once you’ve signed a deal for the most dough with whatever team (except Edmonton)?

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah, I’m batting around the idea that maybe a player’s situation is more important than the bottom line. That maybe this notion enters the conversation now. Maybe I’m being naive.

To use the worst example, Alan Eagleson’s ego and ambition, and criminality, royally messed up Bobby Orr, when he signed his last contract with the Blackhawks. The Bruins made a last-ditch attempt to keep him, offered him a piece of the franchise, but his crook of an agent never told him about that offer.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

As always, be careful for what you ask for. You might get it.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• Luke says:

It brings to mind one of my favourite Mr. Burns moments:

Homer: “Mr. Burns, you’re the richest man in the world. You OWN EVERYTHING!”

Mr. Burns: “Ah yes, but I’d give it all up for just a little bit more.”

• scamorza says:

good one, or the Far Side cartoon where Ms. cow with a martini in hand and pearls around the neck staring out of a beautiful house to a beautiful yard turns to Mr. Cow and says “I’m bored”
        Uhm wonder if that is what inspired the Talking Heads hit?
        come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• Un Canadien errant says:

Always like the Steven Wright joke: “You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?…”

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Vinny doesn’t have nearly enough money…….you never have enough money…the more you have the more you want

16. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Greg, Bill, Karl

…in specific reference to the ‘Roger’s Petition’

…would #Roger’s or #Roger’sPetition be most effective ?

• icemachine says:

I would use #RogersHabsPetition – Lots of people upset with Rogers for various reasons, No apostrophes as that breaks the tag

“I can’t wait for the crowd, the noise, the energy in the building. I can’t wait to take that all away from them.”

• Bill J says:

Personally, I believe the petition should be directed at TVA. That has the best chance at reclaiming national coverage… In French… Because in English, it’s a lost cause for the next 12 years.

Petition TVA to buyout RDS’s regional rights & subsequently broadcast all games as RDS previously did nationally. In the interest of providing children a French lesson they would surely enjoy across our lovely country. (Too much?)

Just my two cents… :)

• ClutchNGrab says:

Unfortunately, you can’t use an apostrophe in an hashtag.

• Loop_Garoo says:

both, put two on each tweet, just no more than that. A generic one like #Rogers increases the odds that people will stumble across it, and will get noticed by more people, and a specific one for people to follow.

17. Matt Niskanen (Pit) will be testing free agent as of 1st July according to TSN.

18. shiram says:

Bruins’ cap issues force Iginla to explore options

There’s your Gionta replacement!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Song by Soft Cell…

• 123456 says:

iggy to habs crossed my mind but from what I’ve gathered he can still produce but he killed the performance of those he played with… I don’t see boston enough to really know the truth to it. as a habs fan you are always tense when iggy gets set up but at the end of the day did he have much of an impact?

• knob says:

Pass on Iggy.

• DipsyDoodler says:

The Bruins went all-in on Iggy last year in order to win the cup while Chara was still somewhat good.

They knew signing Iggy last year would cripple them this year, but they went for it.

And we denied them a trip to the finals.

HA HA HA HA.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• Paz says:

That was our greatest victory since 1993.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Ditto.
        What think you of the Suarez sanction?

• 123456 says:

he bit off more than he could chew

• DipsyDoodler says:

Here’s how my thinking has evolved on this.

You know all those people who defend sharks after shark attacks? The type who, after a shark bites the leg off a surfer, come out and say, hey don’t blame the shark it’s just doing what nature compels it to do. It’s not the shark’s fault.

Or those people who, after every school shooting, crawl out of their bomb shelters or wherever they live and say, hey guns don’t kill people, or this wouldn’t have happened if everyone had a gun.

What I’d like to know is where are Luis’ defenders?

Where are the people saying, footballers don’t bite people, big huge sets of choppers bite people? Or, hey with teeth like that how can you blame him?

And maybe I should be one of those people. Defending Luis against the gringo.

—–
          Moving. Forward.

19. Habitant in Surrey says:

Many feel that the NHL, maybe Geoff Molson is as much at fault for the reduction of convenient and cost-friendly access to Montreal Canadiens’ full-schedule of games as is Roger’s.

I, from the beginning, truly understand Your point. I’m not naive.

My position, though, is this, …this is something, no matter who exactly is the culprit, that is untenable.

The unhappiness has to be expressed. Roger’s is, by being the most visible, will be the whipping-boy on behalf of all the entities involved, the NHL, Roger’s/Bell/TVA/RDS/TSN, etc,/CRTC/Molson, whatever/whomever.

Bottom-line there is a mass of Montreal Canadiens Fans very unhappy.

Should We lay-down and roll-over ?

Roger’s gets the heat and the harm for the moment, but eventually all those players begin to realize that this is something We got to fix.

If We keep quiet nothing will change. Enough outrage and protest, there is a chance to make a difference.

• knob says:

NHLPA would have more to do with it than Molson. What does Molson gain from having the fans viewing options reduced and costs of viewing increased?

NHLPA benefits from tv deals, which means the players salaries increase.

I could care less as RDS/Rogers isn’t offered in my area.

• mrhabby says:

how is Geoff Molson at fault. iam sure he wants the Canadiens to be viewed by as many people as possible…geeesh.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

All teams will share the $ 5 billions

I’m not saying Geoff wants this, but He may be ham-strung between the sales of sweaters revenues and His share of the $ 5 billions, that’s leaving Him between a rock and a hard place

For Myself, it’s the NHL itself (Bettman, et al), that could not give a hoot about traditions in Canada …or the unique heritage of the Montreal Canadiens to a broad-base across Canada.

But it’s Roger’s that has to be the focus at this time.

I don’t understand how Molson would be at fault, he has a minority partner in his ownership of the Habs named Bell, who own RDS. Why would he want RDS to not broadcast nationally, thus lowering the subscription of RDS, thus lowering the dollars which RDS can command in advertising.

I realize you aren’t blaming Molson, but completely fail to see why Molson would want to screw a business partner.

• icemachine says:

I pay Rogers $60/month for Cable internet and so feel no compunction at all about watching “illegal” streams. Quality is getting better all the time too. If there was a way to get true a-la-carte viewing I would buy that access, but to have to pay $85/month to get the basic and sports packages necessary to watch all the Habs games – no way

20. Un Canadien errant says:

Subject of conversation on TEAM 1040 is the report that the Canucks are speaking with Ryan Miller for veteran help in nets.

The Canucks have three young goalies: Eddie Lack, who is ‘ready’ for the NHL, Jacob Markstrom, who is not quite as ready, and Joacim Eriksson, who probably needs one more season in the AHL. They probably do need a trusty veteran to mentor Eddie Lack, take some of the load. That would allow Jacob Markstrom to play FT in the AHL, although he probably wants to be in the NHL now, had enough of the minors.

Ryan Miller had his nose rapped with the rolled-up newspaper last season, there aren’t that many goalie jobs out there, and he wants to be on the West Coast, so his actress-wife can get work. Vancouver wouldn’t be a bad option for them, and he may be more flexible in his demands.

The thing is though, a few fans want nothing to do with that idea, they want to roll with the kids and let them learn. If it means losses, so be it, and they’ll take the high draft pick next summer. They figure having a veteran to rack up a few more wins that will do nothing for the Canucks in terms of playoff success is counter-productive.

I understand that, and would buy it more if any of the young goalies was a can’t-miss prospect you hitched your wagon to, good or bad. I think going into the season with their current goalies could be epic bad.

The Canucks can’t throw away their season like the Sabres did. They have the Sedin brothers under contract, Alex Burrows, the four vets on defence. They’re kind of prevented from scuttling the ship. They need to try to win, without going so far as to make short-term decisions.

Plus, I think it’s corrosive to your team when you send a clear signal that you’re trying to not win, that management isn’t making your team better on purpose. I don’t think young players should be surrounded by bitter, nihilistic vets playing out the string.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

21. Habitant in Surrey says:

One Guy I can’t for the World imagine using Twitter, and that is UCe (Norm), can You ? :)

22. Mad Habber says:

Okay about the right handed defensemen issue:

Right Handed
    Greg Patyren
    Dalton Thrower
    Morgan Ellis
    Darren Dietz
    Josiah Didier
    Magnus Nygren
    Colin Sullivan

Left
    Tinordi
    Beaulieu
    Bennet

Considering Habs already have P.K. as RHer, the right side really doesn’t look all that bad. Of course not all of those prospects are going to pan out..(If any of them do…) Honestly I think our left side needs more work as far as prospects go (granted both Tinordi, and Beaulieu look good)

With that said I have read a lot of scouting reports and I am hoping for Ho Sang or Travis Sanhiem at 26. A lot of people are leary of Ho Sang because of his confidence, I remember another player that kind of got disregarded by scouts/media because of his attitude. The Habs took a chance on PK and got a Norris trophy winner, Ho Sang could potential be the same. Sanheim seems the saver pick, but I have seen him all over the place in rankings.

• Loop_Garoo says:

Need MOAR right handed though

• Habitant in Surrey says:

I would like to take a chance on Ho-sang too.

• Un Canadien errant says:

The left side is stocked with blue-chippers who it’s a foregone conclusion will play in the NHL. The right side is stocked with lower-round prospects who have a slim chance to make the NHL.

I think we’re more set on the left side rather than the right.

Certainly, since it’s so much easier to find a leftie D-man, we shouldn’t focus on drafting a leftie, you can always trade for one, pick one up on waivers, etc.

23. 123456 says:

USA soccer (football) anyone?

#hopeididntjinxthem
    #postingonthewrongforum

(the #’s were for Habitant in Surrey)

24. krob1000 says:

I didn;t realize Pk was -4 on season? I knew Eller has an atrocious sesaon in that light but Subban was -4 adn Markov was plus 12??? really?? I am not a huge advocate of plus minus but wen there are 16 even strength goals separating the two of them it is odd.

• 123456 says:

stats do tell a story – but hidden behind are who they played against.

that’s why the +/- can be confusing when a player puts up 50 goals and 85 points and ends up a minus 12. of course PP points don’t count.

• Chris says:

It can be. But in Markov’s case, that +12 came while doing the lion’s share of the heavy lifting against the other team’s top players.

This is why I’ve found the outrage at Markov getting re-signed in some quarters so puzzling…the team was, on average, better with him on the ice than off the ice. He played on the penalty kill, the power play, and he played best of all at even strength.

If he had a weakness, it was the penalty kill last season. I’m okay with them taking those duties away from him (saving him 10% of his total ice time last season) and giving that ice time to Subban.

• 123456 says:

totally agree. and I do not see a drop off in his play in the next couple of years…. especially if his time can be managed, I felt the habs 5/6 pairing forced markov to play a bit more than he should.

• krob1000 says:

I totally am not a fan of plus minus but Pk and Markvo would both see tough opposition….Markov and Emelin do not get cherry picked opposition and PK I would figure would get tons of ozone starts,etc. This is why I found it intrgiuing…they played a big chunk of season together as well. Also Pk’s partner Gorges was a plus 6 while Markov’s regular partner in Emelin was a minus 1 which makes the difference that much more inexplicable…

• Chris says:

Galchenyuk and Eller were not good defensively last season…Galchenyuk’s -12 was only slightly better than Eller’s -15, but he played 75% as much as well due to injuries.

• krob1000 says:

See my above post re the partners etc….I have been on here a million tmes trashing the plus minus stat in general but that is a pretty big discrepancy given their roles,etc. 16 goals is a lot in a low scoring NHl when you remove special teams. Eller and Chcuky ahd rough goes…Eller was a shadow of himself for a large chunk of the season….it was very strange. He palyed well the whole short season, forst quarter of last season and in the playoffs…btu he lost all ocnifdence and couldn’t do anything right for quite a while…Chucky? Rookie…I expect it althoguh not so dramatic givven I would figure he would get more sheltered ice than most of the forwards

• tophab says:

pk plays with gorges the worst dman in the nhl .

25. Habitant in Surrey says:

Can any of You Twitterites explain to Me what the ‘hash-tag’ is used for, and when it should be used ?

Finally, how do You create a ‘hash-tag’ ?

I’m a Twitter newbie :)

• Bill J says:

I’m sure it will be explained better via googling the topic but here’s a quick laymans…

#ThisIsAHashTag the block of letters you attach to a # – if you get people to use the same hashtag you can garner large support rather easily.

• Loop_Garoo says:

First off, anything that you put a # becomes a hashtag, but it really only has value if other people are using or searching for whatever is behind it. A hashtag seperates a term out of your post so that people can find your post if they are searching for something.

I am an insurance broker for commercial and personal insurance, in Barrie, Ontario, so I may tag a post #insurance or #barrie or #barrieinsurance so that people searching for those terms come across me.

Twitter is an interesting world, I am @GregGroen1 on there, give me a follow.

• ClutchNGrab says:

From https://support.twitter.com/articles/49309-using-hashtags-on-twitter

Using hashtags to categorize Tweets by keyword:
      People use the hashtag symbol # before a relevant keyword or phrase (no spaces) in their Tweet to categorize those Tweets and help them show more easily in Twitter Search.
      Clicking on a hashtagged word in any message shows you all other Tweets marked with that keyword.
      Hashtags can occur anywhere in the Tweet – at the beginning, middle, or end.
      Hashtagged words that become very popular are often Trending Topics.
      Example: In the Tweet below, @eddie included the hashtag #FF. Users created this as shorthand for “Follow Friday,” a weekly tradition where users recommend people that others should follow on Twitter. You’ll see this on Fridays.

Using hashtags correctly:
      If you Tweet with a hashtag on a public account, anyone who does a search for that hashtag may find your Tweet
      Don’t #spam #with #hashtags. Don’t over-tag a single Tweet. (Best practices recommend using no more than 2 hashtags per Tweet.)
      Use hashtags only on Tweets relevant to the topic.

• Habcouver says:

HiS, I asked my kid the same question. She showed me this:

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• frontenac1 says:

Something to do with Ripping too much Goo in the Bong?

• icemachine says:

Hashtags are used primarily for searching and tracking conversations -like #Habs to track all Habs related posts. If you add certain apps then a hashtag can automatically post those tweets to somewhere else, like the #fb with Selective Tweets copies your tweet to your Facebook profile.

Hashtags are also used to express additional, generally humourous thoughts like “NHL Awards are tonight #PhaneufForNorris”

Oh and you can get me @friesenp

26. knob says:

So…people would like to trade Beaulieu to acquire Gubranson. Better the devil you know….
    The argument: “we need a RHD”. Trade one of Gorges, Emelin or Tinordi for a RHD. They all provide the same type of game: defensive style with no offense and accordinly only one should be dressed each game. If you like, trade two of them and bring back Weaver, even if it is for a 2 year contract.

Why does anyone really want to trade Eller? Eller, at worst, is a replacement to Plekanec and an improvement on Desharnais. I think that the centre to be dealt is Desharnais.

• Loop_Garoo says:

yup, if we need a right hand D, trade someone else. Beaulieu has the potential to be a really good one, not quite a superstar, but a great player.

27. ClutchNGrab says:

[...]
    Don’t blame Rogers

Since news of the schedule came out, I’ve seen a lot of anger directed at Rogers, particularly from Canadiens fans outside of the home region, who will no longer be able to see every game on RDS.

The anger at Rogers is misplaced though. The real group that should be blamed is the NHL. Rogers would love nothing better than to take all 82 games of each Canadian team national, but the NHL breaks up its TV rights into national and regional games, and imposes blackouts outside of a team’s broadcast region.

In English, things haven’t changed much in that regard. TSN Habs was not available in Toronto or western Canada (or, for that matter, to Videotron subscribers), and western teams’ regional games were blacked out on Sportsnet West and Pacific to subscribers here.

What’s different in French is that we now have competition, and the national and regional rights to Canadiens games are held by two different companies. (The decision to split the rights was the Canadiens, who decided to sell them separately to RDS after TVA Sports picked up the national rights.) RDS no longer has the ability to nationalize all its regional games, so we have blackouts.

If you want the system to change, tell the NHL to overhaul its TV rights system in Canada. But don’t expect that to happen before 2026.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

I understand Your point Clutch.

My position is this is something, no matter who exactly is the culprit, that is untenable.

The unhappiness has to be expressed. Roger’s is, by being the most visible, will be the whipping-boy on behalf of all the entities involved,the NHL, Roger’s/Bell/TVA/RDS/TSN, etc,/CRTC/Molson, whatever/whomever.

Bottom-line there is a mass of Montreal Canadiens Fans very unhappy.

Should We lay-down and roll-over ?

28. krob1000 says:

Wouldn’t it be genius if Toews and Kane (who are both signed through this season)were throwing these numbers out there to make others overpay.
    or
    Wouldn’t this be genius given there have been two contracts that were surprisingly low (players taking adiscount in markov and gaborik) and two that were overpaid…in Nikitin and Callahan…is this all a pr game and leverage move…agents want it to be acceptable that players make that much mroe and 3rd and 4th linerst hat do much of the unsung work still get shafted but agents of high profile clents make a ton ofmoney off a handful of elite cleints.

I liked what LA was doing and they have everyone sigened reasonably…Montreal should strive for that…either you want to be part of it or you don;t….go make a ton more money in Florida. if you do not want to be on a good team because if everyone maxes out oon their potential earnings…best of luck. If Kane and Tews get anywhere near the crazy numbers they are asking then that is the end of Chicago being a threat.

29. Habitant in Surrey says:

If We can get Andrew Berkshire’s name on the Petition, then I KNOW We ‘are going places’ ! :)

30. adesbarats says:

Holy molly! Kane and Toews each asking for 12 mil / year.

• shiram says:

Even if they “settle” for 10 millions AAV, that’s 20 millions off the cap spent on 2 players.
      No wonder there are rumblings of them wanting to move Sharp to lessen their cap burden.

• Timo says:

It is better than Briere making 4.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

And posters here think PK will sign for under 8mill…LOL. Habs will be lucky to get him for 8 per only.

• SC-1993 says:

Hockey is a Business today, players don’t look at the team they play for or their Fans they look at themselves and what ever team is willing to dish out, that’s where they will end up. as long as the owners can fill the seats they’ll get their money by raising seat prices food etc, etc.

• knob says:

I think that you are partially correct, until a player wins the cup anyway. After obtaining a ring it is every man for themselves.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Stan, that’s just too much of a generalisation. Money is a huge factor, perhaps the pre-eminent one. But there are other factors, including the ones you dismiss. How many players are in the NHL? You’re making a universal assertion about every single one. You are either omniscient or incorrect!

31. Habitant in Surrey says:

Like a medieval knight (call Me Sir Shootsalot :) ) I have been crusading for Our Montreal Canadiens to retire Toe Blake’s number 6 …and add His banner in the rafters next to Our other former Greats.

Some of You may believe Toe was only a Great Coach, and as a Player, did not quite rate such an honour …and/or, do not want yet another low-number retired and unavailable to contemporary Players.

…maybe unaware Toe Blake also was a great hockey Player, won a NHL scoring championship, the Hart Trophy and the Lady Byng, …and led Our Habs in scoring for 6 seasons of His Hall Of Fame playing career.

Hector ‘Toe’ Blake was a key component with The Rocket and Elmer Lach on ‘The Punch Line’, which was the most feared scoring line of it’s day.

Most younger Fans understandably remember Toe Blake mainly as the genius Coach of the Montreal Canadiens at the cusp of Our Golden Era …the Golden Era that most of Us, whether We know it or not, were inspired to follow Our Habs as if it was ‘a religion’ unto It’s own.

Toe Blake’s name is on 11 rings of the Stanley Cup; …8 as Our Coach, …2 as a Player for the Montreal Canadiens …and one as a Montreal Maroon.

Toe Blake was the ‘heart and soul’ motivator Whom inspired and ‘showed the way’ to Our great Players of the time, both as a Player and Our Captain (3 Stanley Cups), …and as Our Coach (8 Stanley Cups).

His Legacy is greatly taken for granted by the Montreal Canadiens and it’s great Fans, I strongly believe, by the fact that Toe Blake’s number 6 is not represented yet in the rafters of the Bell Centre.

The TOTALITY of Toe Blake’s legacy and contributions to the Montreal Canadiens, as a Player and Our Coach, to it’s History and exceptional success, becoming the most famous brand in the hockey world, is way embarrassingly past the overdue stage.

I request all Montreal Canadiens Fans to join with Ian Cobb and I to right an outstanding wrong and oversight.

We would like to encourage all Montreal Canadiens Fans whom agree with the objective to make Their opinions known to Mr. Geoff Molson and the Montreal Canadiens’ executive board, …that a special game night to honour Toe Blake’s number 6 with a banner in the Bell Centre is long-overdue and should be held at the soonest opportunity.

If this is something You would like to make right, as I and Ian do, I provide the following mail contacts to send Your requests to ‘Campaign To Retire Hector ‘Toe’ Blake’s Number 6 !!!’

Geoff Molson: President and Owner

Kevin Gilmore: Vice President of Operations

Send your testimonial to:

c/o The Montreal Canadiens

1909, avenue des Canadiens-de-Montréal
    Montreal, QC, CANADA
    H3C 5L2

…merci beaucoup :)

_________________________________________________________
    Michel F.Therrien ???: HIS’ new Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song; Morrissey/The Smiths ‘Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfkvPnjb9hs

HIS’ alternative HIO Official Theme Song: ‘MTL Stand-up !': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK0l0XEW3Dw

HIS’ Get It Up ! pre-game musical intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=R5mMRiiCwak&NR=1
    _________________________________________________________
    HIO’s BC Odd Couple: UCe, the supercilious stickler; and HIS, the stubbornly relentless ‘schismatist’ :)
    _________________________________________________________
    What I WANT ! is an aircraft carrier at centre and nuclear destroyers on each wing going to the net like bats out of Hell !, …NO MORE rubber duckies !!!
    _________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

Bring Back Boone, and send Hickey to Hamilton !!!

…and, last, but not least:

Mike Boone MARCH 25, 2014 AT 7:54 AM
    Finding every way to stir up sh.. is pretty much my job description.

Mike Boone
    Hockey Inside/Out blogger

Scott Moore is President of Sportsnet and NHL Hockey for Rogers.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

32. Habitant in Surrey says:

10 Most recent to sign the Roger’s Petition. The Petition seems to be trending up too. I see Mitch Melnick re-tweeted to His 11, 000+ Followers.

Will be interesting to see what, if any, impact it has. What is important is that Roger’s will understand Habs’ Fans will not be silent.

Don Campbell

brian long, Canada
    just now

Teri Madio
    14 minutes ago

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

• Timo says:

What about Stubbs… he has a twitter account I bet a lot of followers. Besides a tiny article by Hickey I haven’t seen anything about this from The Gazette.

Edit: Stubbs has a couple of tweets on the subject. But that’s not enough.

33. Donkey Hoat says:

Perhaps MGMMB is thinking this:
    Get Vanek signed to a reasonable deal, we need his points.
    Let go of Gionta (thank you, Brian) and Bouillon (thank you, Francis).
    Looks like Weaver isn’t coming back.
    Sign PK to the maximum term around 6.5/year.
    Move Galchenyuk to center, and hope Beaulieu and Tinordi impress in September.
    Sign a decent RHD and a RW, keep the rest of the team intact.
    Re-evaluate at training camp and again at trade deadline time.

• krob1000 says:

I hope he is thinking that…..all of those things I agree with except I wish team would keep Weaver and move one of Gorges/Emelin in addition for the cap savings and to make room on left side instead of having two dmen play out of position.

• Forum Dog says:

I think he’s dreaming if he thinks he will get PK at maximum term for $6.5. I’m betting that Subban is gonna get at least $7.5.

34. Bill J says:

To reiterate, I brought up Gudbranson because it was something to talk about until something new Habs related came about.

Clearly Beaulieu would be desired by FLA, but I cannot see the Habs landing the FLA pick in return of Beaulieu alone…

I threw out Eller’s name cause it was a name to throw out there…

Gorges, Nygren, Pateryn & picks are all valuable assets that can be pulled from to compensate for Gudbranson to a team in rebuild mode.

Again, just to talk about something to pass time… I do not smoke crack, nor do I wear weird “Bleu Blanc Rouge” coloured glasses. :)

• bwoar says:

It’s a good discussion to be in; we need to trade a left-handed shooting defenseman for a right, and he’s a big kid.

• Bill J says:

Here’s a scenario that will surely make some believe I’m loopy (I hope that was clear enough sarcasm font)

– Bettman steps up to mic before Florida’s first pick at the draft…

“The Florida Panthers have traded their 1st selection in this draft along with the rights to restricted free agent Gudbranson

In return Montreal sends Florida its 1st round pick in this draft along with Nathan Bealieu, Magnus Nygren and future considerations”

– Bettman drops the mic! BOOM! :D

• Chris says:

I’ve seen Gudbranson’s name attached to other teams, so no attack at you Bill. There seems to be some belief that Gudbranson might be available for the right price…he’s perhaps not being actively shopped, but the Panthers are not telling teams to go away.

• Bill J says:

I wouldn’t be upset if he came to MTL, his MTL love combined with the maturity he’s acquired since junior. Much like Subban I might remind many (Subban for a great many years was critiqued for his immaturity)

35. bwoar says:

One note on Gudbrandson, he’s definitely not as good as Zach Bogosian (who’s only a year older) and ZB has a cap hit of 5.14 over 7 years. Any team who gives Gudbrandson 5M is going to wonder why they are paying a 10-15 pt. defender that much money.

So contract may be a factor for Florida.

36. bwoar says:

(edit, double post)

So I got a call from Rogers today in response to my polite inquire about what the F is going to happen with outside the Habs’ region fans’ ability to watch Montreal games.

Naturally, he didn’t have that information for me and said they are still working on releasing broadcast schedule. There is also apparently not one person that makes these decisions (bullsh!t) so no on to contact in particular.

But, and here you will all be surprised… Rogers puts satisfaction of its customer above all, so not to worry… I am fully convinced now that Rogers will make it work for all of us.

38. icemachine says:

Wonder if Ho-Sang has a chance to fall all the way to 26th…

39. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

RE: Vinny trade.
    Nobody can possibly be that stupid to let the Flyers off the hook. They have to take a bad contract back or give up an asset with Vinny.

RE: Habs top 4 D. Heard Engels on TSN 690 state that he suspects Gorges and Emelin are available as MB is not satisfied with his top 4. Hope this is true. Emelin has the physical tools to play 25min/game along side Subban but not sure about him mentality. All I know is that it doesn’t make sense to keep playing Tinordi and Beaulieu in Hamilton anymore; especially in the last year of their entry deals. Play them or trade them for someone MT wants to play.

Habs need to sign Vinny and give him the torch.

41. AceTen says:

Markov is a boss and a true professional. Very hard to find players as dedicated to a team and not the $$$ as he is in today’s NHL. We are very fortunate to have him and he will be a great mentor over the next 3 years for our young D breaking into the league.

42. Sportfan says:

Vinnys agent is allowed to talk to other teams about a trade, that’s funny I thought it was the GMs job. MB DO NOT TAKE HIM

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

43. Chris says:

CJ: I heard it from a guy who played with Gudbranson in the OHL: he was a world-class jerk and the rest of his teammates had little to no respect for him. He and his brother were above the team.

In Erik’s case, the big thing that people hated was that he started all sorts of crap on the ice, but refused to fight his own battles. Now a lot of that came in the season after he was drafted, and he was 100% sure he belonged in the NHL and just went through the motions that year in Kingston, so I suppose you can take it with a grain of salt.

• CJ says:

Thank you Chris. I can see how the attention that Erik and his brother got could rub 17-20 year old boys the wrong way. That said, I can not think of a single time in which I ever remember Grudbranson not fighting his own battles. Moen tuned him up pretty good in a preseason tilt at the Bell Centre a few years ago, getting the jump on him and not letting up.

In any event, Ottawa is the smallest city, in terms of degrees of separation, in the World. The word, from those who I have spoken with, is favorable. Again, very small sample size, so filter this information appropriately.

• Chris says:

He did it all the time in the OHL. I saw a lot of him in Belleville-Kingston games. Let’s just leave it that I am not at all a fan: very dirty player, always relied on teammates to fight his battles. When I heard that that was his reputation in his own locker room, I felt it was telling.

Florida was not all impressed with how he sulked after being sent down for another year of junior, but things seem to have improved in the last couple of years. I freely concede that he has toned the attitude issues back at the NHL level simply because he is not an elite defenceman. His offensive game is very limited, and he will never be a Norris candidate. Perhaps the dose of humility of no longer being the best has tempered his ego.

• Bill J says:

I think MTL now has the proper development staff to help Gudbranson reach his potential, and perhaps surpass…. Along with Markov and Subban as older guard and newer guard mentors? Could be VERY good.

Obviously I’d prefer not losing forward depth to gain him (IE Eller name I threw out there earlier) but unless Tallon gets some “serious” future considerations from his former protégée MB as part of the deal I cannot see MTL getting Gudbranson for “Beaulieu & Nygren” for example.

But IF Tallon liked that deal, it would be one to consider. Gudbranson is only 22 and still finding his game (much like Tinordi has been working on)

• CJ says:

Well, I can appreciate that. Matt Carkner, who I grew up with, always said that Chris Neil (and I quote) was a pussy. Matt used to say he was overrated when he was with Windsor and never changed his opinion, even as a teammate with the Senators.

Kid is 22 and wears a letter in Florida. That is not necessarily a barometer for whether or not the guy is a jerk, but one would think that he has at the shown growth (maturation).

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Hi Chris and CJ.
      To me these really look like characteristics you would normally expect a kid to outgrow, which was the kernel of my early, meandering post this morning (and related to Ho-Sang).

I saw your reply, CJ, and that’s the way I see these things in general, so it’s interesting to get first-hand for the particular. Now haberooooo below has also joined in. (I also replied to your mother’s 2 bucks on Sunday!).

So hopefully it’s a case of leaving jerkdom behind, if he was ever there — all of which is likely to prove immaterial.

Beaulieu OR Tinordi, plus something small, ie not Eller.

• CJ says:

Hi Mike.

I certainly don’t discount the information that Chris has provided. He is extremely well versed in junior hockey and appears to have his hand on the pulse of the goings on in the central/western part of Ontario.

My interest in junior hockey has certainly waned in the past few years. I still enjoy going to Gatineau to watch the Olympiques play, but I refuse to go to the CTC to watch the 67’s – certain exceptions aside. Once they have reestablished themselves at Landsdowne park, I will make my way back to the games again.

In any event, I have watched Grudbranson for a number of years and think he fills a major void on our defence. Each move you make is hopefully a step towards the goal of a Stanley Cup. Unfortunately you need to give to get, so I am assuming it would take a significant package to land Grudbranson, which would likely tear open a void somewhere else. The only reason, IMO, that he would even be in play is a contract demand – maybe he wants $35 million over seven years?

My brother, while living in Toronto, went to a number of games and always hated Ho-Sang. Not anything to do with attitude (keep in mind, these are kids very well to do parents in most cases), but he always said he was lazy. We will have to see how the draft unfolds, however I would not be entirely surprised if he falls into the second round.

• Chris says:

A good friend of my older brother’s was a first round draft pick way back in the late 1980’s. Good OHL career, and he went on to have a brilliant AHL/IHL career, averaging just under a point per game in a few seasons as a defenceman.

Really nice guy off the ice, but the knock on him in hockey circles was that his ego wrote checks that his skills couldn’t cash. One scouting report I saw of him summed up his NHL prospects as something along the lines of “Jack of all trades, master of nothing. Thinks he’s the Wayne Gretzky of defencemen, but projects to being the Brent Gretzky of defencemen. Uncoachable.”

My question for people is why Florida, a team that looks poised to add Ekblad to a stable that already includes Petrovic, Matheson and Kulikov, all of whom are excellent offensive prospects, are willing to dump their one stud defensive defenceman? It doesn’t make a lot of hockey sense to do that deal. I understand that Ekblad, Petrovic and Gudbranson are all right-handed, but Gudbranson was never going to play with Ekblad anyways. Kulikov-Ekblad makes a formidable top pairing, and Gudbranson can partner Matheson when he comes up the year after next.

Florida is in no hurry to build…they are 2-3 years away from thinking about the playoffs. Gudbranson shouldn’t be on the market. So why do I keep seeing his name as being available?

• CJ says:

I don’t believe that a trade is pending. The only possible issue that might prompt an exchange would be salary. If Grudbranson is asking for a 7 year, $35 million dollar extension, then he MIGHT end up being shopped.

44. krob1000 says:

What the ??? Kane and Toews have asked for 12 million a year?????

• Forum Dog says:

Wowsers! MB better get the PK conversation started. Suddenly his $8M salary ask (pure speculation) will start being presented as a bargain….

• Bill J says:

Exactly my point earlier, no chance MBe walks away from matching ANY RFA offer Subban accepts. (Most I see Subban getting offered is 9Million per, and that would be a bottom dweller team like Buffalo trying to reach the cap floor)

• Sportfan says:

I heard that a while ago, I guess hockey players think its the NFL now, or MLB, or NBA, or forgot about the salary cap. They figure becuase its supposed to go up that they’ll get it.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Chris says:

Yep…it was always assumed that both guys are gunning to pass Ovechkin’s cap hit on their next deal.

I kind of look forward to it…they WILL get that money, but the team will have to be decimated for it to happen. And then we’ll see what kind of leader Jonathan Toews is when he can’t have all of Kane, Hossa, Sharp, Seabrook and Keith, top players in their own right, to support him.

Teams that build through the tank always have this conundrum…eventually, those players will get their cash. Either you pay them, robbing yourself of the cap flexibility to keep a strong supporting cast, or you let them go and start over.

• CH Marshall says:

hoooo boy, that’s starting pretty high isn’t it?

45. JayK-47 says:

Draft Week Predictions:

One of Scherbak or Goldobin is going to fall to the Habs pick

Briere and Bourque will be moved to Buffalo for a 2nd rounder and a late pick

Pleks and one of JG or AE moved for a high 1st rounder, most likely Edm’s

These predictions will become actual rumors on Hockey Insiderrr

• Loop_Garoo says:

Agree with your first point (partially out of desperation that we get a player with more potential than B. Lemieux. Think Bourque might be dealt, but likely out west. I think we are stuck with Briere, which is not perfect, but not tragic either. Can’t see Pleks going, and he would get at least a first rounder by himself.

46. Luke says:

Anyone know what the score of the Habs/Rangers game was?

(le sigh…)

47. HabsChris says:

So I’m from Edmonton, and in the papers they have been talking about how they’re looking for a center and a defenceman to help out immediately. We have a surplus of both, could a deal not be made for one of their younger forwards or the 3rd overall pick?

• CJ says:

Picks inside the top five are very highly coveted. In this case, landing the third overall pick would come at a very steep price. So far as I am concerned, unless it’s a slam dunk (anyone else watch the documentry on tanking for Mario Lemieux?), then I’ve always felt that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Why would we give up Beaulieu, Pleks, Crisp and our first, just to move from 26 to 3? Again, this is just a hypothetical trade proposal, but these are the kind of assets that would be required to move up. Personally, I don’t see it.

• SC-1993 says:

HC-you’ll have to ask MB

48. RetroMikey says:

Still angry that Bergy is in contract negotiations with Bouillion….with Weaver yes but the Cube…holy crap!!!
    We need to get young on the D, not older and more physical and bigger.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• CJ says:

To play another season, or to help coach the defence in Hamilton?

• Kooch7800 says:

The cube will not be back. It was said yesterday that he had not been offered anything by the habs. I would be shocked if he was back

• SC-1993 says:

Remember Retro, MB Wants a playoff team and he’s not overly concerned about anything else, but his biggest mistake is gonna be hanging on to last years team and this team will not repeat what they did last year. If he thinks the Eastern Conference is gonna be the same as last year, he’s in for a rude awakening. with the team we have right now, they will be fighting from game 1 to game 82 to make the playoffs that’s how much the Eastern Conference is gonna improve.

• habsr4ever says:

Bergy is NOT in negotiations with booey…..
      Its interesting the rumor of Bergy isn’t happy with his top 4….Emelin isn’t going any where….he is our only D who punishes people and makes teams think twice in the neutral zone when he is on the ice. Gorges has value out West….Oilers, Nucks, Flames and the Wild are interested. Not sure what we can get back for him but it better be a top 6 forward. I hear they want a spot for tiny AND b….they are ready to at least give them a chance like the B’s did with their younger D…..if they aren’t – habs have til the deadline to get another Dman via trade. I am ok with this….hopefully they don’t lose too many points and have enough to get into the playoffs by playing these guys 18+ minutes per night…..Tiny could use another year down there….the big guys simply take longer….B is ready – he proved it in the playoffs….his wheels and vision are fantastic to run the pp and take over from Marky next season….his d zone is a work in progress and he sure does have mental lapses out there which is concerning….but heck come on we had Booey and Murray on our back end last season….I would take tiny and b over these two any day.
      I want the habs to sign Weaver…..if we are going to deal Gorges or Emelin – we HAVE to sign him….wow sounds like Weaver wants three years as well? sheesh…..we may have to let him walk and see if another team offers him a three year deal at his age….I call bs….sign him for 2 years times $2 M….

49. Colombiahabs says:

I was gonna log in last week to tell you all Markov wasn’t going anywhere, but couldn’t be bothered. Now I will bother to tell you that there is no chance in hell the Habs trade their own defensive prospect in Beau, for Floridas prospect defensemen plus we throw in one of our best centres….

Are you guys sniffing glue or what? So what Floridas guy is big… we already got Tinordi in the pipe. You don’t draft guys and develop them just to throw them away on a whim…

Please get a summer job or start masturbating more.

50. PK says:

Suarez got nine games?
    That’ll take a bite out of Uruguay’s hopes of winning the World Cup.
    (Sorry, too obvious … had to bite into that one).

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

“Une équipe de hockey sur glace de l’île de Mont-Royal va gagner la Coupe de Lord Stanley à 24 reprises dans le 20e siècle et trois fois au cours du 21e siècle.”

– Nostradamus, 1552

51. DipsyDoodler says:

Dear Commentariat

We’re not trading PK Subban.

cheers,

Dipsy

—–
    Moving. Forward.

52. D Mex says:

Suarez suspended 9 games by FIFA.
    Imagine what they’d do to a serial poker like Lucic …

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

53. Strabo says:

My two cents, and I base this on Ian’s comment earlier that PK is only signing for 2 or 3 years. To Fla PK Subban, to Mtl Gudbranson and Barkov or Huberdeau and a 2nd rd pick.

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.” Albert Einstein

• Bill J says:

Gallant be like: “WTF Tallon I came here because of Huberdeau, and when I said let’s reunite Huberdeau with Beaulieu I didn’t mean THAT!”

54. Haberoooo13 says:

Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun · 16m
    Expectation was that Don Meehan and Newport Sports were going to meet with Habs brass today on PK Subban

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

55. Luke says:

A Centre with size?

TSN Super Duper Insidiest of Inside Hockey Insiders Darren Dreger reported Thursday that Lecavalier’s agent, Kent Hughes has permission to speak to other teams regarding a trade.

Just 4 years and a gabajillion dollars remain…

• Kooch7800 says:

yeah…unless Philly is eating some of the bad contract he will be a Flyer for awhile. Wouldn’t that be awesome if he got bought out twice. If that happens you should get an automatic ban from the NHL.

• Habfan10912 says:

I’d make a Gainey joke here but I best let it go, eh Kooch. :)

• Kooch7800 says:

yeah….Gainey did some good things but the team blow up that costs us McD really set this franchise back in a bad way.

Unfortunately, when he lost his daughter he should have stepped down. I can’t blame him for not really having his head in the game. It would have destroyed the best of us.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Well said Kooch.

I think we fans are far too quick to overlook the nightmare that was going on in his life at the time. I can’t imagine anyone glibly posting about that trade here could have continued to function properly in their job in similar circumstances.

We could well afford to show a little more humanity here by choosing, just a little more carefully, what we say about that trade.

• Kooch7800 says:

100% agree Mike. I do think that the organization should have forced him into a leave for a year or so but how do you really do that.

I am sure he wanted to work still to maintain some normality.

56. Chelios24 says:

I can’t understand why any team would pay Markov at almost 36 years old and with a history of bad injuries, more than Habs paid him over 3 years. He’s still a good player but isn’t an elite defenseman anymore, certainly not defensively in the playoffs.

57. Haberoooo13 says:

To BillJ: Until Chucky plays centre, Eller is our biggest, skilled centre. Regardless, I think Pleks and Beaulieu would be plenty for Gudbranson.

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

• Bill J says:

Eller is currently as skilled as Bourque. That doesn’t necessarily say a lot.

He’s young, he’s got size. But losing Pleks instead of losing Eller does not improve the Habs.

I do agree, that Pleks would be welcomed by FLA. Because he would be VERY valuable to them. ;)

• Haberoooo13 says:

I like Pleks a lot, but at this stage of their careers, I would rather have Eller.
        PS Bourque and Eller were arguably the best 2 forwards in playoffs.

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

• Bill J says:

Granted, but they were arguably the crappiest during the regular season.

• Kooch7800 says:

Combined Eller and Bourque had 42 points in the regular season. They both were excellent in the Post season but there needs to be some more consistency shown on both players. Bourque I hope can get back to his 20 goal a season form as he has done it before.

Eller I would love to see get to 20 goals

• bwoar says:

That’s too much for Gudbrandson.

Gaborik – LA fills the one major hole in their line-up without giving up any assets. The term sucks but that’s another topic for another day. LA is all in for the next three years.

Callahan – That’s a lot of term for a guy who’s two years away from the downside of his career. Regardless, Tampa will still have Callahan and two first rounders (minus a 2nd) once St Louis retires in a few years. Great asset management.

Nitikin – Looks like the Oilers are giving the Islanders a run for their money. Total overpayment for an injury prone 2nd or 3rd unit Dman. Not to mention the 5th round pick. Nitikin will be looking at a ton of ice time to justify this move.

Malone – I believe Malone went into the league drug program. If so, is he not in some way considered to be “injured”? I didn’t think you could buyout an injured player (i.e. Gomez)

Weaver – I don’t get it unless his demands were excessive. Shoutout to MT. Gorges and Tinordi should play the RD from day one in training camp. Markov/Subban, Beaulieu/Gorges and Emelin/Tinordi to start the year.

Parros – Initially, I thought the Habs might keep Leblanc on as the 14th forward so he wouldn’t have to clear waivers and could slowly learn on the job. Now both Parros and Leblanc are gone. Which begs the question, do the Habs replace Parros with another thug?

24 Cups

• Luke says:

Weaver:

MB may have made an offer, and Weaves said:

“Y’know, that’s cool, and I appreciate it, but I want to see if there is a better situation for me out there. A bit more dough, this is probably the last contract I’ll get, Marc, and maybe a bigger role to play.”

And then Marc, leaned back in his chair, grabbed a Red Vine from the jar on his desk, and said:

“I get it, Weavie. I’m cool with that. Tell you what, you go and see what’s out there, but you let us know. The offer is here for you, bro.”

• punkster says:

Please, no more thugs.

Release the Subbang!!!

• SC-1993 says:

I don’t think there’s any thug’s to be had that can beat LUCY if you can’t find one who could do that, it would be a waste of money. Lucy is coming to get us, said so in Game 7

• SC-1993 says:

24cups – we had better find a good one, LUCY is coming to get us he said so in game-7

• Loop_Garoo says:

I think Weaver will get a contract somewhere, so why would he bother signing with the habs for one year, when he has one shot at a good multi-year deal. He played well enough that someone will give him a nice raise and 2 year deal.

59. Walmyr says:

According to Fifa…Suárez suspended for nine matches and banned for four months from any football-related activity…

CHeers

60. Apparently Anaheim are shopping their to 1st Rd picks for a #2 centerman. Wonder Tomas Plekanec would lift NTC and if Anaheim was interested? Sportsnet at noon show indicated they where interested in obtaining Kesler. Just have to see what unfolds in this upcoming draft.

61. Luke says:

Pick Fabbri if available. Slick player. Slick as all heck.

-or-

Trade the first (and sumthin’) for a pair of second rounders and grab the two giant defensemen. Mantha and Vanier and hope one eventually plays in the NHL.

That’s my MB draft day scheme.

62. Haberoooo13 says:

I’m all for Gudbranson coming here…met him a few times through friends we have in common…great kid, and yes for MOAR crowd.

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

• CJ says:

Many might not realize that the kid grew up idolizing Montreal. His family are Canadiens fans. He speaks fluent French. Not that any of this matters, but it certainly doesn’t hurt either.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Hey Haberooo,

That’s great to know. I was looking earlier for a counterbalance to a post claiming Gudbranson was a major jerk! (in junior). I think it was CJ who first started banging the drum for him. Count me in — always extra interested in guys who love the Habs.

• CJ says:

I’ve watched him play for years Mike. He is the kind of player that would lock down the right side for the next 10 years. A player like that is worth his weight in gold so far as I am concerned. He is mean – just ask Ryan White, can skate, hit, and play in all three zones. Like many of his teammates, I think he could explode if provided an opportunity outside of Florida.

63. Bill J says:

OK, take this for conversation purposes only… Because rumours are rarely more than just conversation.

The guy who called the Weise deal (term and salary) 24 hours before was publicly confirmed is saying that the Habs are in serious trade negotiations for Gudbranson from Florida.

What does a RD (who just as much as Subban grew up a Habs fan) cost the Habs?

• C_Carta says:

Assuming Florida keeps their pick and selects Eckblad, I suppose Gudbranson may slightly more expendable. I honestly can’t think of many players on the Habs (outside of our core) that would interest the Panthers. They are a young team, but are fairly deep in terms of their prospect pool and their current roster.

• Ozmodiar says:

Bro-lieu

Tallon was scouting the ‘dogs last year. Gallant coached him in Saint John. Alleged CHaracter issues. Markov re-signing. LD overload. Etc* …

* not really, that’s all i can think of

• Bill J says:

Maybe Eller + Beaulieu + ???

• Haberoooo13 says:

not both for gudbranson I hope

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

• Bill J says:

I would, Gudbranson is a young RD with elite talent and his 6’4″ frame helps a LOT!

• Haberoooo13 says:

they are getting a young skilled d in beaulieu, i wouldn’t give our biggest skilled centerman also… 1st round pick, or pleks with beaulieu

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

• Bill J says:

Correction, Chucky is our biggest skilled center. Eller is physically larger, but he won’t be the #1 C in MTL.

Sending Beaulieu and Eller for Gudbranson would likely include something else coming to MTL.

• Bogie Man says:

I think Gudbranson’s current salary is 900K. I just curious about the serious trade negotiation part as how much would be required for a defenceman who that is paid that little. Give him 1.2 and be done, right? We should not have to give up anything of serious value for this player I believe…

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Brian Campbell’s contract for a start …

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• Forum Dog says:

If they could land Gudbranson, that would be amazing. Wouldn’t want to see them overpay, but if involved Beaulieu and not much else, I’d say that is acceptable. Hate to lose Beaulieu, but Gudbranson would bring some much needed size, physicality and a RH shot with a few years of NHL experience.

Gudbranson still has some defensive holes in his game, but he has a bright future ahead.

• habsr4ever says:

Gallant is a fan of Tinordi. So for SURE he is part of the deal for G. I would hate to lose Tinordi’s size and grit and net clearing presence but he if we can land a Rightie with this kind of talent – let’s go for it. I suspect though we will have to give up another prospect like Bozon or De la Rose or Nygren as well as our third rounder this year.
        I sense FLA doesn’t want to pay him or he wants OUT.
        The rumor I heard was yup Eller is gone/going some place as his salary demand is too rich for Bergy’s blood….maybe its Eller and Tinordi and I would consider this but hopefully we can also dump another contract on their butts like Moen or even Brier’s to give us some cap space for Boyle (Rangers) or Ott and I keep hearing Vrbata is coming to shore up our top six.
        Other rumor is the Habs are in the running for Thornton with Plekanec as part of the package.
        Final rumor is yes Bourque is heading West. Canucks, Oilers, Jets, Avs are the teams who have shown interest.
        Also have heard Iginla is gonzo from Boston….they can’t come to an agreement on DOLLARS and since nobody is biting on Marchand or Boychuck – the B’s are in tough to get something done for Iggy’s liking (heading back to the WEST as well – California team – NOT Detroit).
        Let’s see if ANY of these rumors are true.
        This week has been pretty boring for all the talk out there hasn’t it…just like last year….lots of talk but nobody has the stones to actually pull the trigger.

64. C_Carta says:

So Marc Bergevin has indicated he wants to try to move up in the draft. He tried this last year too but wasn’t able to get it done.

How realistic is it to expect the team may move up in this draft, and if they do, any particular player they might be coveting?