Hurry up & wait: Inching toward Habs-Bruins schedule

xbourque1938

Habs goaler Claude Bourque resists a Bruins attack during this 1930s game. None of these guys will be in their teams’ lineup for the Eastern Conference semifinal.

As of 10 am ET on Tuesday, the NHL still hadn’t released a schedule for the Canadiens-Boston Bruins Eastern Conference semifinal.

But multiple sources were reporting this morning that the series will begin Friday night at TD Garden, with Game 2 set for Sunday afternoon, presumably to accommodate NBC television’s desire to have a matinée.

TD Garden is booked Friday morning for the convocation ceremonies of a local university, but it’s not uncommon for the multi-purpose building to turn around quickly from afternoon NBA action to an evening NHL game.

We’ll have more details here today as they’re available. And once the NHL’s carrier pigeon finds its compass.

1. naweed235 says:

I don’t know for how many of us I’ll be speaking here but I for one have never felt a deeper hate for anything in my life than I feel towards the Bruins. I sometimes realize that this hate is so extreme that it could be unhealthy. I hate everything about that organization on every level imaginable from top to bottom. This includes, their GM Chiarelli, their coach bubble-head, their TV announcer Jerk Edwards, Daddy Campell, their in house anthem puke Rancourt, their obnoxious fans, and last but not least, their players.
    As hard as I try, I cannot stomach the lack of class and amount of bigotry involved in one organization.
    I like to desensitize myself to the fact that there is a possibility that we might lose to these pukes and I find that very hard to do.
    Like I said, I have never felt this much hate towards anything in my life and I hope that changes because it is definitely not healthy.

2. habs001 says:

Would be great if the Habs get an early pp goal as this would be a confidence builder….most pp are streaky so habs are due for a pp streak…

3. DipsyDoodler says:

Bayern Munich getting destroyed at home. 3-0 to Real Madrid at half-time.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

4. myron.selby says:

I’m guessing that the league won’t release the 2nd round schedule until the 1st round is complete – so Wednesday night or more likely Thursday morning.

If that’s true, then it wouldn’t look too promising for Thursday games. I’ll bet though that they’ve already scheduled the games for the series where both teams are already known and probably communicated that information to the teams involved.

5. Commandant says:

Re: The Vanek Talk.
    Here’s the story.

There are no quotes there, there are no sources there, just some sports writer in Minnesota speculating about stuff.

Here is his quote, “This summer, look for Leipold, the Wild owner, to spend whatever it takes — probably another $40 million or so — to add free agent Thomas Vanek to the roster.”

$40 million? really?

Any writer with real sources would know that its gonna take a lot more than $40 million to sign Vanek, who turned down 7 years at $50 mill from the Isles.

This writer is just giving the same speculation people have given for a year now, there is nothing new here.

Nor is there any acknowledgement that Minny’s number 1 need is a goalie, and number 2 is a defenceman.

• johnnylarue says:

While that probably was not the last time I’ll take an HIO post as gospel and run with it, I am officially reverting back to my original stance of being 95% certain Vanek will sign elsewhere, rather than being 100% sure he will sign with Minnesota.

$40 million is “LMAO” territory and completely invalidates that article… and/or the writer’s grip on the current state of hockey’s fiscal reality.

Commandant: thanks for doing the unthinkable and, um, actually reading something. ;)

• Strummer says:

He turned down $50 million from the Isles because he doesn’t want to play there.
      Who’s to say he wouldn’t sign with Minnesota for $40 million as a home town discount considering his desire to move there?

____________________________________________________
      “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

6. Rugger says:

Oh perfect! A Sunday afternoon game – my daughter is getting married Sunday at 11 am (they are both Bruins fans) It is outdoors so no TV, will have to constantly check the phone! Hopefully the Habs can send them off to their honeymoon with a loss!

7. Danno says:

Drop the puck!
    Drop the puck!
    Drop the puck!
    Drop the puck!
    Drop the puck!
    DROP THE PUCK!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

8. Luke says:

A Bruins chum was rooting about in the filth and grunted Thursday/Saturday according to some Boston finger paintings.

So, it could be Thursday or it could be Friday, huh?

Man… I really don’t care which it is. I just wish I KNEW which it is.

9. UKRAINIANhab says:

When’s this starting? C’mon already!!

10. CHicoHab says:

Does anyone know if I can get the live game on iPhone??

• Timo says:

You should be able via CBC mobile site… or even regular site

If you are on Bell most of their smartphones allow you to watch games through whatever specific Bell app is installed.

• Mavid says:

I watch games on my I pad all the time. I am with Bell..log on to my account and away you go

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

11. krob1000 says:

Would be really nice if the HAbs were able to trade Vanek rights to Minny before the deadline…..even if they got a 4th or something it is better than nothing

What did I miss? Did Franky Bouillon score?

13. HUDSONHAB says:

All this Vanek talk is silly. If we can’t win the Cup this year with him, what makes people think we can win it with him next year or in the next seven years?

Just win it now. End of discussion.

….Hab4life….

• joeybarrie says:

Our big components will be in their prime. This team is on the rise. We aren’t at the stage where we can say we are true contenders. But you never know what can happen. We can win the East, and it only takes 4 games, a good run and a little luck to steal.
      But in 3 years this team will most likely be in a much more consistent and solid place.
      Locking up Vanek to a 5 year contract will give us something we have been missing for many years.

• johnnylarue says:

You know what? In this day and age, and with this new playoff structure being what it is, the “true contender” tag means you’re a lock to make the playoffs, nothing more.

The best a GM can hope for nowadays is to create a healthy, sustainable ecosystem of long-term contracts, cap flexibility and prospects, to ensure that their team makes it to the playoffs year in, year out.

It would be easy to argue that all of L.A., San Jose, St. Louis and Chicago are “contenders”, and yet only two of those teams are making it out of the first round.

• Commandant says:

You want Vanek.. its gonna take 7 or 8 years.

Yes, he will likely decline before the end of the contract, and will likely be overpaid in years 6-7-8, but thats the cost.

Pre salary cap teams used to overpay in salary to get the top free agents…. Now you can’t overpay in salary, so if you want the guy for 5 years, you better be prepared to overpay in years 2 or 3.

14. Butterface says:

I know it sounds Cliche but the Avs are barely Holden on. They are a young team and are going to need some Parenteau guidance.

Avs are burying me…..all that speed and no Finnish…… I am not a happy Kuemper.

Sharks have no bite. Thought it was going to be over Quick.

***********************
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
    ***********************

15. BJ says:

I’m glad to have been raised in Montreal where Jackie Robinson, Herb Trawick, George Dixon (one of my personal favourites), Don Clark, Georges Laraque and now PK were always welcomed as equals in our society and admired as great athletes.

16. shiram says:

Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva

One year deal for Jaromir Jagr with the Devils. Value is between 5 and 6 million dollars depending on bonuses. #tvasports

UCE got this one wrong.

17. habcertain says:

Sorry on my iPhone haven’t scrolled through the posts, has there been some confirmation that Vanek will be signing with the Wild?

• secretdragonfly says:

A contract can’t be negotiated until the end of the post-season. At the moment there is nothing but conjecture and rumours circulating.

18. Kooch7800 says:

I am just going to enjoy Vanek while he is on the team in this playoff run. Regardless if he stays or goes he is the exact type player that we need right now. If he doesn’t resign at least now MB knows what this roster will be capable of with a player of his level on the first line.

So don’t worry about it. Let’s just enjoy watching this playoff run while he is on the team. Go Habs Go!

• johnnylarue says:

Amen. MB has already got his money’s worth out of Vanek. He helped to stabilize the lineup from top to bottom by giving the Habs the offensive depth they were lacking, at a time when the team was teetering on the brink of falling out of the playoff picture.

Anything more they can get of Vanek is gravy, from an organizational standpoint.

• Kooch7800 says:

I really believe if he goes they will make a trade so it is all good.

I think MB is a really good GM and he is helping to push this organization forward

• CH Marshall says:

That’s right. He’s an addition, albeit a good one. We’re just hoping for a long run. Whether he chooses to stay or leave, we can’t get too worried about that.

19. BJ says:

Clippers owner banned for life from the NBA and fined 2.5 million. And he will be forced to sell the team. Just wondering when the person that leaked the audio might be suicided?

• Kooch7800 says:

Good. I am glad the NBA is making a statement and forcing him out.

I do have a question of ethics though of a private conversation being recorded and provided to the media with no real context. This could become a very dangerous thing in society.

I am not condoning racism or anything of the sort but I can bet everyone has said something stupid that they would not want recorded and sent to the media.

• The Jackal says:

Yeah, I don’t know why it was recorded, etc., and even though his views are disgusting, it is a bit scary to think that someone can just record you when you think you’re having a private chat.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• 24 Cups says:

My wife is of the opinion that his “girlfriend” set him up.

Not that it would change the fact that his racist views are as stated on the tape.

24.4 Cups

• Kooch7800 says:

I have no doubt that she probably did set him up. He is still a bum for making those comments I just get weary when this type of stuff happens cause if someone really wants to burn you they will.

• BJ says:

It reminds me of my trips to East Germany and CCCP before the wall came down. Not only did you have to worry about the Stasi and KGB and you didn’t know which citizen might turn you in. Its even worse now as technology is way beyond anything 1984’ish.

• Ozmodiar says:

cool!!

surprised! (antitrust?)

• Chris says:

Good luck upholding that one. Sterling is an idiot, but he’s got one heck of a legal case to be made against the NBA given that he almost certainly did not know that he was being recorded, which is illegal in California. Basing his suspension on illegal recordings strikes me as a legal loophole through which his reprehensible actions can ultimately be legally excused.

• ClutchNGrab says:

The commissionner needed to present a strong message to the sponsors, the players and the fans, many of them being Black. Whether the court uphold the decision or not is secondary.

No question.

But now the league is going to get dragged right through the mud because Donald Sterling likes few things more than lawsuits, and he’s got a lot of ammunition on this one.

The NBA is in a very awful spot on this one, and it isn’t going to end cleanly for them.

• Cal says:

Sterling will be history long before it gets to court. The man is 80, and the NBA has some pretty good lawyers, too, I hear.

• CH Marshall says:

Probably all the NBA can do at this point. Just unfortunate how this detracts from their playoffs

20. CH Marshall says:

Re Vanek. Wife always wins. ALWAYS.

• johnnylarue says:

There’s the kind of perspective that can only come from an abundance of life experience…

• rhino514 says:

You are probably right, but still they should do everything possible to re-sign him. They have pleanty of options to create cap space, i.e. they can buy out Briere and not re-sign Gionta if he isn´t willing to take a hefty pay cut.
      Having Vanek on the team just makes all of our other forwards so much better. It would be a real shame to go back to being a team which struggles to score. There is simply nobody out there like Vanek who is available and even if there were, we would have to overpay anyway, so I prefer to overpay for Vanek.

• CH Marshall says:

I would to. We don’t have a cupboard full of offensive prospects, and the ones coming through are a few years away. Vanek answers an immediate need that we’ve had for a few years: the need for a at least one or two offensive wings.

• Stuck_in_To. says:

Yup, my wife always wins too but then she is a highly intelligent person who deeply cares about me which results in a give and take, balanced relationship. (Okay, cue the violins and maybe some retching in the background.)

All I am saying, is before we throw the baby out with the bath water, maybe “this wife” sees her husband in a good situation and decides that is the better scenario. I’m not suggesting you bet your house on it, just answering the “wife trumps career” view … sometimes the wife is a little more than that.

• CH Marshall says:

True that. I’m sure there’s been an internal memo passed around the CH saying “If you see Ms. Vanek, SMILE and greet her warmly. Offer to do all of errands. Also make sure they have a permanent babysitter on call for 24/7″

21. Habies says:

Dear all Fans who aren’t happy about the afternoon Game,

We – fans from around the world East of the Atlantic Ocean- have been proudly suffering for about 10 years (cine the internet allowed us) with terrible time zones and waking up at inhumane hours. I have personally listened to about 400 games I’d say from Myanmar (games start at 6am) for 3 years, Tajikistan (games started at 3am) for 2, and Afghanistan and Pakistan (around 4am) for 3 for the past 8 years. I even listened to the Game 7 loss in 2011 on an island wreaking of death after a cyclone at 8:30am, via the loudest generator and a 8 foot satellite for internet in Myanmar. Needless to say it was the only internet on the island which we needed to implement our humanitarian activities. Now I live in Denmark where I finally have good enough internet to WATCH the games (I had been listening on cjad from 2005-2013), but the timing is the absolute worst: 1am for all games. Low and behold though, I haven’t missed one playoff game yet.

So, from all of us who are nearly as committed as you cats with your Habies flags on your car windows, sitting comfortably with your dinner on your laps and l’antichambre (still never seen it but trust it’s solid) and Jim Hughson between your thighs, and oh, post-game celebratory alcoholic drinks, shut yer faithful holes and be happy for us out here who can finally watch a game (A PLAYOFF GAME!) at 7pm here in Europe… and later in the evening in Central Asia, and who knows what time wherever else.

We deserve this one. And so do Les Boys for a good Game 2.

From a latitude near Kuujuaq or wherever,
    Matthew-

• Chris says:

Okay, this one is my choice for post of the day. :)

• BriPro says:

Matthew.
      I’ll forgive your rant since you have the same name as my son. ;)
      Suggestion, if you’re looking for a station to listen in the future, try TSN690 (am) streamed live.
      Second, Jim Hughson would be the last …. (fill in the blanks).
      You can also stream L’antichambre (AC) live on RDS.ca.
      It’s only in french, but if your french is good enough, and you don’t mind complete partisan hockey all-things-Habs, then you’ll enjoy the repetitiveness of it all.
      Let’s hope the only thing we have to complain about come the Stanley Cup Finals is the schedule.
      And finally, CHEERS from across the great pond.

• Ozmodiar says:

You should watch a few episodes of l’Antichambre when you get the chance. Then you wouldn’t paint such a rosy picture of what we’re going through over here!

;)

22. BigB says:

In my opinion, the bucking fruins will use game one to “set the tone”. Playing in front of their fans, I think they will be very motivated to start a tough series for the hated Habs.

I am not a coach or a GM but I would think it might be a good idea to have Murray and Moen in the lineup for the first game (at least). Yes, some folks say why mess with a winning lineup but then again we’re playing a different foe so I believe we might have to slightly adjust our game plan. Winning at least one game in Boston will be great.

If our beloved team sticks to its plans, and as often drags the Boston team into how we want to play I foresee us advancing to the next round. The classless yahoos of Massachusetts might kick and moan, but will go down.

Desperately waiting for #25.
    Habs forever!

• Forum Dog says:

I tend to agree with you on this. Murray would be a good add to that bottom unit. Frankie B played fairly well against Tampa, but Boston is a different animal. They need someone who can clear the front of that net and help keep scrums to a minimum. Murray fits the bill.

• rhino514 says:

Re messing with a winning lineup;
      Don´t get me wrong, I am ecstatic that we are in the second round, but I was looking at a few of those goals against Lindback and Rask would have stopped a few of them. So i don´t think our lineup has all of a sudden developped chemistry and is invincible.
      Slotting in Moen against the Bs over Bournival, though I am not much a fan, makes sense., though the fourth line automatically becomes less of an offensive threat, we get a better guy on the PK, an area we struggled with in the first series.
      Murray or Bouillon (or Weaver)? Really tough to say. Depends how nasty the Bs try to play. It´s not an easy decision and I hope MT makes the right one. So far this year, despite all the criticism from the “fancy stats” guys, he´s been good with personnel decisions, maybe not so good in other areas.

23. CHicoHab says:

Who books a graduation ceremony on a Friday morning right smack in the beginning of NHLplayoffs at TD Garden??? I guess whomever it was that thought the Bruins wouldn’t advance to the second round. Door knobs.

• Psycho29 says:

It’s a graduation IN BOSTON….shouldn’t take THAT long, there’s gotta be what, 2 or 3 graduates maximum! ;-)

• johnnylarue says:

It’s shocking, isn’t it? One the one hand, you’ve got Harvard. On the other? Bruins fans.

And ne’er the twain shall meet.

• The Jackal says:

Didn’t the Harvard dean condemn Bruins fans and bar them from applying to Harvard? :P

______________________
          Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• johnnylarue says:

Unless admissions requirements at Harvard have taken a critical nosedive in recent years, I would suspect their minimum GPA requirement would preclude any such ban from ever becoming necessary. ;)

24. DipsyDoodler says:

I don’t see why being born in Minnesota means you want to live in Minnesota.

If I was from Minnesota I’d still rather live in California or New York City.

What am I missing?

Is Mrs V pining for the fjords?

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• Ton says:

is he worth the 8 million/year…..patch is better goal scorer today and overall player!

• Cal says:

As long as she hasn’t join the Choir Invisible.

• 24 Cups says:

If I’m Vanek, I’d go sign with Tampa. Great weather, Stamkos is your center and there’s little limelight to worry about. Plan B might be Anaheim.

24.4 Cups

• The Jackal says:

And the taxes.

But the humidity? Hell no!
        If I was a free agent I’d try and sign in Vancouver or Washington (if the Habs are not an option, of course). Vancouver is a great place to live and the weather is alright, and Washington is a really cool city with lots of history and there will always be some politician getting more attention than you get for missing an open net that could have won a game.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

25. HUDSONHAB says:

I was sent something about Habs tickets for Tuesday and Thursday. If those dates are correct then starting the series on Saturday is going to be an issue. Back to back games perhaps. Playing Boston always sea to create a messed up schedule.

26. DipsyDoodler says:

Can anyone provide a good argument why this is NOT the most likely scenario? Please?

1. Bruins beat us in the playoffs, kicking sand in our faces in the process.

2. Bruins go on to win the cup.

3. Vanek signs with the Wild this summer, for considerably less than what we offered him.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

27. Thomas Le Fan says:

All I can say is that before we defeat the Bruins and go for the cup, we better make sure our cups are in place. Heh.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• joeybarrie says:

I think that maybe your signature line “Hockey isnt everything” is misleading. Have you contacted everyone on the planet to see if they all agree?
      If you dont actually know, ONE generally says “in my opinion”.
      Surely Guitars are not any higher than good wine, scotch, steak, Montreal strip clubs and Poutine…..
      Funny how it all works….

28. B says:

Zach Fucale stopped 17 of 22 shots for the Mooseheads before being replaced by Kevin Darveau to start the third period. Darveau turned aside eight shots.

“None of those goals were Zach’s fault,” Murphy said. “He’s probably going to get the start tomorrow and we all have faith in Zach that he’ll come back and play an excellent game.”

–Go Habs Go!–

29. habs001 says:

The goaltending should be equal…the Habs can match the Bruins in forwards as their forwards are good but not anything special..Just not sold on the Habs D vs the Bruins D…The Bruins D is much better in scoring and providing support in the attacking zone…

• B says:

Rask’s 1st round save% .961, Price’s .904

–Go Habs Go!–

• PrimeTime says:

Thanks for posting this same comment for the umpteenth time. Whats the matter….cant get any traction?? Perhaps it comes down to credibility??

• habs001 says:

I will leave to you in posting new stuff in all your posts…after all your hockey knowledge is beyond anyone on this site…

• PrimeTime says:

Your’s is obviously very limited. Check out your recent posting history. You’re a numbers guy……count. At least Timo has a few cards in his hand that he randomly plays. You dont like our D….you’re probably in the minority. So B plays the puck back to their D…..yipee!! We’ll see who’s game style will win this round. I’m just looking forward to a great series…..no pom poms or daggers!

• Phil C says:

The may be more offensive, but after Chara and Boychuk, the remaining 4 defensemen are really inexperienced. I think the Bruins’ great structure and team defense cover up this shortcoming in their roster. They all may be great playoff performers, but they are also unproven so it will be interesting to see how a guy like Miller handles a steady diet of Pacioretty and Bourque coming down his wing.

30. Commandant says:

Three for One Day as we are moving servers and the site will be up, but I can’t update for 24-48 hours.

#27 Robby Fabbri of the Guelph Storm

#28 Conner Bleackley of the Red Deer Rebels

#29 Anthony DeAngelo of the Sarnia Sting

• Chris says:

DeAngelo is going to slide…I almost guarantee it.

5’10.5″ and 175 pound defencemen already have a tough row to hoe when it comes to making the NHL.

As Ben mentions, the major talking point for DeAngelo is the 8-game suspension he received from the league under its Abuse/Diversity rules. DeAngelo was the first player ever suspended under that rule for abuse of a teammate. (It probably wasn’t racial…I would guess homophobic, from attending a lot of junior games.)

But this was in fact DeAngelo’s second infraction under the Abuse/Diversity policy of the season. And upon his return, he picked up 3 misconduct penalties (including an automatic 2 game suspension after the second one) for abuse of officials in just 8 games. The kid has a brutal temper.

Throw on top of that that he is perceived around the league as a bit of a prima donna and has been described as a headache for his team, and I would be shocked to see DeAngelo go in the top two rounds of the draft. There is undeniable talent there, but there his personality seems pretty toxic and that is going to hurt him in the draft.

• Commandant says:

You may be right and he may slide lower than I have him.

I’m not sure how far though. As I mentionned in my preview, I see this draft as weaker than normal, so that is going to help him.

Also the Russian factor is even bigger this year than normal, as I mentioned in my piece on Scherbak. The situation in the Ukraine isn’t resolving anytime soon, Obama and Harper are talking economic sanctions. Would these sanctions include tougher laws on green cards going forward? If they do it could hurt the Russians more than normal. This would help someone like DeAngelo.

• Chris says:

Hard to say…teams are definitely putting a premium on character, and DeAngelo fails that test miserably.

Can he turn it around? Of course…he’s a 19 year old kid. But he’s got some explaining to do.

Another factor to keep in mind with DeAngelo is that he is one of the oldest players in the 2014 draft, having missed the September 15th deadline by about a month.

I don’t see the political stuff affecting the athletes much at all…it is posturing. Any sanctions that happen are going to be targeting Putin and his political allies, not an 18 year old hockey player. With so few Russians highly rated this season (Vladislav Kamenev is ranked 13th and Nikita Cherepanov is ranked 22nd, the only two Russians in the top-25 of the European skaters in this year’s final CSS rankings), I don’t put much stock in the political situation in Russia/Ukraine affecting the NHL draft.

Nikolay Goldobin, Ivan Barbashev and Nikita Scherbak are already in North America, so I would be a bit surprised if their status is changed in any serious way.

31. youngwun says:

Report is the wild will be going all out to sign Vanek. I hope Marc throws him the same money to try and keep him.

• johnnylarue says:

Term and money being essentially equal (give or take a year), Vanek will sign in Minny. And I like Vanek, but I don’t think it’s worth getting into a bidding war over him.

A long playoff run in the hockey mecca of Montreal could go a very long way as a sales tool. Minny can’t be talking to Vanek or his agent until after the season. I may be stretching my optimistic hat here, but lets see what happens through the playoffs before we assume TV is headed to MN. (But yah I hear your point)

• BJ says:

He also will have to produce more than one goal per series to earn what he may think he’s worth. I’m hoping he doesn’t pull a Michael Ryder playoff edition 2013…..

• johnnylarue says:

I like your optimism!

Really though–and I’m just responding to the rumour here–our only legitimate shot at signing him in the first place was contingent on the Wild not wanting him. So if this news is to be believed, I really can’t see anything changing his mind. Strikes me as a family man.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I agree, to assume that Vanek can not be swayed by the atmosphere, excitement, team morale, city, and solid core in Montreal is to assume Vanek is not human.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Maritime Ronn says:

Sometimes a Minnesota born wife with 4 children + family and a big new custom built house has some sway….

• Thomas Le Fan says:

In my opinion, unless you’ve talked to Vanek and that talk occurred in the future, you don’t actually know that is a fact. In which case one generally says “in my opinion”. It’s not even your opinion considering you’re going by what is being said by others who also don’t know this for a fact either. Funny how all this works.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• johnnylarue says:

So if I understand this correctly, in your opinion, every post not consisting of copy/pasted stats should begin with the words, “in my opinion”?

Of COURSE it’s just my opinion, gleaned from hearsay, from other people’s opinions, from the wind, etc. And I don’t take any of it especially seriously, and pray that you won’t either! ;)

• Donkey Hoat says:

I can’t argue with them facts, JLR, but inside, I’m hoping TV really likes his new team and new line mates. Some intangible that can’t be written into a contract. Something, dammit! :)

• Ton says:

Not to get anyone up in arms but I think Patch today is better goal scorer………all is need is more player to develop a 25 to 30 goal touch within our system and we may be able to save the 8 million. Let him go I watch him…….his skating is so so…..back checking is so so and he is getting older.

• mdp2011 says:

How is this news? One guy decides to write a story today that the Wild will go after Vanek. Ok, we knew that already, it has been common knowledge since training camp. Again, how is this all of a sudden relevant? Also, if you read the article, he doesn’t back up anything he says with any quotes from any sources. So basically this is one writers opinion and again, this has been common knowledge since training camp. I guess it is a slow news day.

We simply have way too much hockey free time right now, everything is getting analyzed now. Can’t wait for the next Habs series to start.

• Maksimir says:

I think your analysis of the previous comment goes overboard. And how about writing a proper sentence for a change? “I can’t wait for the next Habs series to start”. You friggin bum!

• PrimeTime says:

HIO News. Dont mos’t people get their news from the comment section or opinions sections of the media??

• johnnylarue says:

No actually, we knew Vanek wanted the Wild. We didn’t know the feeling was mutual. (At least I didn’t!) So that’s what’s changed. For me.

But you’re otherwise correct–it’s all just idle gossip and essentially valueless from a journalistic standpoint…

• Thomas Le Fan says:

WE … KNOW … no such thing. Sheesh.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• mdp2011 says:

Again, there are no quotes or “my sources says” in the story, just one writers opinion. This is not a knock on HIO, just a general comment, it is all over twitter being retweeted by mainstream media.

• joeybarrie says:

Wild will have a problem having a balanced team if they give Vanek what he will most likely go for.
      7 million.
      They have Pominville, Koivu, Parise and Suter set for long term high contracts.
      That will make 34 million for 5 players. Half the cap, almost.
      Plus they will still need to sign another 4 forwards, 1 defense and a Goalie contingency for Backstrom and Harding.
      When they sign Vanek, they will be a Capitals type of team with no depth.

• Commandant says:

That team needs goaltending and defensive depth, they have a ton of forward prospects in their pipeline and young forwards like Granlund and Coyle on the Roster.

I’m not convinced they want to give Vanek the big cash or that it makes sense for them as a team.

• ABHabsfan says:

Big advantage for the Habs in terms of Vanek is the 8th year that the Habs can offer. Given Vanek’s age this becomes guaranteed money. The Habs could offer (not saying they should) 8years at $7M per where the Wild would need to offer $8M per to match. Big difference in terms of cap structure in the short term

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• ont fan says:

My only problem of Vanek going to the Wild is they could of got him at the deadline and didn’t. How does that make sense.

• Habcouver says:

You know, if Vanek really wants to go to Minny for reasons other than hockey, I wish him the best but I hope helps the Habs go deep in this run to the cup.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

32. shiram says:

Roman Jedlicka ‏@jedli

Jaromir Jagr said after practice w/ national team he will continue in #njdevils team. He said he already has agreement with the club.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Of course, the intrepid Jaromir had a deal in place with the Penguins three seasons ago also, when he went incommunicado for 24 hours, missed his flight to Pittsburgh, and miraculously re-appeared as a Flyer. So I’ll believe him when I see him in a jersey next season.

Having said that, there would be demand for his services on the open market, obviously. This article makes the argument that while the Canucks wait for their prospects to mature for a couple of years, they could do worse than having Jaromir playing on a line with the Sedin brothers.

33. habs001 says:

The Habs have a better chance in beating Boston in 4/5 games than 6/7 as the Habs D is slow and old and not sure how much physical punishment they can take…

• Mattyleg says:

Oh man…
      “The Habs D is slow and old”

The Bruins are nowhere near as fast as TB.
      How did our ‘slow old’ defence do against TB?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Cal says:

Didn’t you know, Matty? Habs suck through and through compared to those Almighty Gooins!

• shiram says:

That guy is always negative as it concerns the Habs.

• habs001 says:

If we base it on the Tampa series results they are one of the greatest D in the NHL but than so is the entire team…but there were another 82 games played in the regular season…Now they did get 100 points that is fine so maybe they win despite being outplayed in a lot more games than they outplayed the opposition..Again if this D was the D for the Bruins there would be tons of negative comments about them…

• Mattyleg says:

“maybe they win despite being outplayed in a lot more games than they outplayed the opposition”

This is utter nonsense based in biased negativity.
          You manage to watch any games this season?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• sane hockey fan says:

Habs D is very mobile.
      Robust? Not so much. But they are definitely mobile.

34. Psycho29 says:

Dave Stubbs‏ @Dave_Stubbs ·15 mins
    Rumblings of a Saturday matinée for Habs-Bruins Game 1.
    If so, it’d have to be early; NBC has Kentucky Derby 4-7 pm ET

35. ClutchNGrab says:

When looking at the panic the media is building around San Jose, it is quite impressive how the Bruins were smart enough to keep their core after their meltdown against Philadelphia in 2010 and make adjustments to win it all the following year.

San Jose should look carefully at Vancouver and make sure they identify the real issues before taking hasty decisions.

Example?

April 22, 2014
    The Kings tried to reestablish their identity Tuesday and climb back into their first-round playoff series against San Jose. However, the resilient but still-flawed performance now leaves them facing an early end to their season.
    And, maybe, to an era.
    [...]
    Time is running out on their season and, maybe, on this group.
    They’ll always have their 2012 Cup triumph, the sweet memory of rising from the No. 8 seed to dominate every playoff series they won and bring indescribable joy to fans who had suffered through decades of disappointment. But with a young team and a stud goaltender in Quick, that seemed like only the beginning of an era.
    Now it seems near an end, because the mix simply isn’t right anymore.

• habs-fan-84 says:

San Jose has been a model of patience over the past 5-10 years. However, if they do lose the series, I’d expect a coaching change before any player changes.

• DeadEnd says:

I would agree in most cases. In San Jose, however, they have a bad history of playoff disappointments, with largely the same crew involved. Maybe this time, it would actually be warranted to make a change.

Not that I have any idea what changes to make…

• BJ says:

The main problem is 29 other teams. Its not easy to go all the way. If you are competing every year you don’t want to dismantle, maybe tweak, but easier said than done as usual.

• JUST ME says:

Problem is that we all agree on every points.

The Sharks squad is a powerhouse.
      The Sharks always choke.
      Worst way to rebuild is to copy the Vancouver organization.

No easy way out for the Sharks if they lose game 7 because the western conference will not get weaker next season and with changes comes risks that can put you out of being a real contender for a long time. Question is, with all that talent ,power,skills and results in the regular season are the Sharks real contenders ?

36. Frank2468 says:

Well the Habs better do what Roy said when they are on the ice with Lucic and put theirs blanks on the table to take away the back checking from Lucic. New low in his career for this guy!!

37. 24AW says:

Vanek is trying to finish the season on a positive note and move on in the summer for his last big contract.

• 24AW says:

HH – I heard they are going to have it frozen before each game.

• Marc10 says:

Get us to the final and by all means cash in. We’re going to miss that big body sniper when he’s gone… That will be a major challenge for Bergie. How do you get close to replacing that?

But in the meantime… Lets just get on with the job of killing bears.

• Maritime Ronn says:

From here, just going to enjoy him go to work and make Max and 51 better players for the future.
      Max admitted he has already learned a lot.

When July 1 comes along, let the cards fall where they will.

• Mattyleg says:

Vanek is trying to convince the Montreal management that he can be a clutch performer and sign here in the summer.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• JUST ME says:

I do not know if Vanek stands to lose a lot or gain a lot if he performs or not with the Habs during the playoffs. Reality is that there will always be a dumber G.M. to offer the moon to a player they judge absolutely necessary to the succes of their team.

38. Habby_Haberton says:

To match game conditions, the Habs spent half of this mornings practice spearing each other in the junk.

39. 24AW says:

Anaheim, Chicago, Los Angels Or San Jose has the best chance at winning the cup. Boston, Pittsburgh ???????????

• Chris says:

I would say that Boston has the best chance of winning the Stanley Cup. They were the President’s Trophy winners, have a less physically demanding path to the finals, and they finished 5-2-3 against the best teams in the West: 2-0-0 against San Jose, 1-0-1 against Chicago, 0-0-2 against St. Louis (now ousted), 1-1-0 against Los Angeles and 1-1-0 against Anaheim.

If Boston gets by Montreal, a team that historically troubles them, look out.

40. frontenac1 says:

Things are getting nasty in the Sharks/Kings series. Couture(of all people) has a go at Richards last night. Should be a good game 7 tomorrow.

• Marc10 says:

SJ needs a miracle now. They are choking on all cylinders.

Still LA should send the ref who called LA’s second goal a case of Dom Perignon. That was one of the most ridiculous calls I’ve seen in a long time… and considering the body of work we’ve been exposed to in recent years… that’s saying something.

41. ClutchNGrab says:

I’m in the minority here, but every time the Habs get some exposure in the US I’m delighted. The Sunday afternoon game on NBC is the equivalent of Saturday night for CBC Quite frankly, I’m surprised they didn’t wait for the winner of the phi/nyr series to present yet another Sidney Crosby/Philadelphia game in that spot.

On another note, in 2011 game 7 was presented the day following game 6, again there were people saying that was an example of NHL bias. Yet they came so close to winning that series. The Habs players will perform no matter what, they’re professionals.

42. Chris says:

Since exploding onto the scene with stellar playoff performances in his first two seasons (14 goals and 42 points in 39 games), here is how Jonathan Toews has done the past four playoff trips vs. his regular season performances:

42 GP, 9 goals, 29 points (playoffs)
    262 GP, 112 goals, 249 points (regular season)

He scores goals at about half his regular season pace (0.214 goals per game in the playoffs vs. 0.423 in the regular season) while seeing his point production (0.690 in playoffs vs. 0.950) drop by almost a third. Yet he is still routinely cited as a playoff god.

Compare that to the last four playoff trips for a guy that is often seen as a playoff “choker”:

35 GP, 8 G, 23 PTS (playoffs)
    287 GP, 81 G, 203 PTS (regular season)

The playoff and regular season goal production is pretty much the same (0.229 GPG in the playoffs vs. 0.282 GPG in the regular season), as is the point production (0.657 PPG in the playoffs vs. 0.707 PPG in the regular season).

Perception is everything in professional sports. Maybe Tomas Plekanec needs to sign Jonathan Toews’ PR team. :)

Regardless, Habs fans should be pretty happy with the leadership they are getting from Plekanec, who plays the same role for the Habs as Toews does for the Blackhawks but with a much weaker supporting cast.

• Paz says:

Honestly? Plekanec is a nice player but he’s not in Toews’ league.

Toews is arguably the best forward in the world right now, offence, defence, special teams, face offs, leadership, toughness, and it goes on and on.

Also, I have never read here or anywhere that Plekanec is a playoff choker. I have read that his points during the regular season fall off during the second half.

• frontenac1 says:

Agreed. Toews is the Complete Package. He speaks french quite well too. Hmmm?.

• Chris says:

Just pointing out that Toews’ production strangely gets a pass the past few seasons.

Toews definitely beats Plekanec on faceoff prowess (61.9% vs. 53.9%). But in terms of offence, defence, special teams…sorry, I’m not buying. Plekanec has been just as good.

Toews rightfully set a high bar in his first two seasons out of junior. But his reputation is not backed up by his performance the past few playoffs. Is he a great player? Of course…I would never dispute that.

But aren’t you at least slightly curious how Plekanec might do with Marian Hossa, Patrick Sharp, Patrick Kane and Duncan Keith as his running mates on the first wave of the power play? I’ll be you he bags some points with that murderer’s row supporting him. :)

On the penalty kill, Plekanec gives up nothing to any forward in the NHL. Plekanec is right there with Toews and Bergeron in that department.

Toews has got the job done by scoring 3 game-winning goals in this first round. He has two Stanley Cups and, like Carey Price, has enjoyed the benefits of a strong performance in a shootout performance at the World Juniors that is completely irrelevant to his NHL play.

I’m not so much criticizing Toews as pumping up Plekanec’s tires here. At the end of the day, production is what matters in the NHL, and Plekanec has done just as much with a lot less than what Toews has done.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Agree with you. The difference between Toews and Plekanec is pretty small. Why would a lot of people not agree? The reason is pretty simple: One guy is Canadian and 6´2, the other European and 5´11.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Also, put Plek between Vanek and Patch (just on 1st PP unit) and his numbers go up….

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• dr. schmutzdeker says:

I’ll take Toews any day (play-offs or not) thanks.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Chris

Plex is one of the most complete players in the entire NHL and is highly underrated by several around here and the media for some unknown reason.
      Maybe he doesn’t have that media friendly thing going on…
      He can play on my team any day. There are few, if any, smarter players.

What I don’t understand from your post is the need, when making a point/comparison, to try and degrade a great leader/hockey player that has lead his team to 2 Stanley Cups-was voted a Conn Smythe, and was a key member of 2 Canada Olympic Gold Medals.

There is more to the game than pure stats.
      Cherry picking stats is easy.
      Take Crosby for example.
      When the Pens won the Cup, he was MIA in the last series against Detroit.
      Last year against Boston, he was held pointless and went Minus -2 in the sweep.
      This year?
      Does that make him a choker?

From our exchange yesterday, it’s clear you don’t like Toews ( and Seabrook and Keith…) and you called him a dirty hockey player.
      We’ll have to differ on opinions, as I would take Toews as my Captain over any other player in the NHL.
      The guy knows how to win, and has the respect of his team mates.

• BJ says:

The perfect team player. He is unbelievably talented. I don’t know who you could replace him with at this time.

• Chris says:

Ron: I’m not actually trying to degrade Toews, although I do question the blind fealty that he is getting of late.

Is Crosby a choker? Absolutely not…he is the best hockey player on the planet, and it is by a comfortable margin.

Is Jonathan Toews a choker? Absolutely not…he is one of the best hockey players on the planet.

With Toews, I think that he has replaced Claude Giroux as the anti-Crosby in the NHL. Whenever the league has a superstar, there is always a sizable chunk of the fan base who hate the fawning adoration that player gets and they look to another elite player.

With Gretzky, it was Lemieux. With Crosby, it was first Ovechkin, then Giroux, and now Toews. In each case, people have built up that player only to subsequently abandon them when their flaws come up.

Toews is an undeniably great player. He is a great leader (although I will argue that Brent Seabrook is the vocal leader on that team, not Toews). He is clearly an elite two-way player.

But let’s not sugar-coat things. Toews was MIA in last year’s playoffs. He was imploding in the Detroit series, threatening to sink his team with him as his temper got the best of him. Toews has shown the ability to have temper tantrums on the ice. Fortunately, he has strong veterans around him (Seabrook, Hossa, Handzus) that can calm him down and kick his butt when he goes off the rails.

Toews has shown a tendency to go into long scoring slumps in the playoffs and he frequently needs that prodding from his teammates to break out of his bad mental space. In last year’s playoffs, he had to be prodded again by Seabrook in the Finals:

“To be completely honest, I was sick and tired of hearing everybody talk about everything that Johnny is doing right. I mean, he’s got to score goals for us. … It wasn’t about the little things that he does. It wasn’t about his leadership that he brings. I just thought that maybe he needed to start thinking about scoring goals.”

Would I take Toews on the Montreal Canadiens? In a heartbeat. He’s a great player.

Do I find that he’s getting over-hyped of late? Absolutely.

But as I mentioned above, it was more of an effort to play up Plekanec than anything else…Plekanec is a quiet, effective leader that always seems to fly under the radar, even for his own fan base.

Plekanec is performing in the toughest hockey market in the world with a lesser supporting cast. To all those that so openly covet Toews, one question I would pose is how his penchant for horrific slumps would go over in hockey-mad Montreal. This is often an undervalued part of the hockey player make-up, the ability to recover from a slump when the glare of the spotlight is firmly entrenched on you.

We know that Plekanec can thrive in this hockey market. Toews almost certainly would, but there is a small element of doubt in my mind given how intensely he works himself into a bad head-space when things aren’t going well.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

He’s not overhyped at all. There are many players under hyped. Toews, Crosby, and Datsyuk are worthy of all the praise they receive, it is the easy thing for hockey media to do, the focus is always on “what’s wrong with the losing team” as opposed to highlighting the amazing performances in the winning side. Lots of talk of “what this team needs to do” rather than what a team has already done. If the focus of sports media had a higher percentage of content based on the competition among the players, explain crafty plays and highlight more chances that don’t result in a goal..

Personally, I see far more insightful analysis on this site on one thread than I would watching CBC, Sportsnet, and TSN in an entire week worth of hockey content. My beef is that the “analysts” are supposed to educate me on the game and all you ever hear is about “codes” and suspensions, and firings, and gossip, and bad trades, what needs to change.

The percentage of content on what occurs on the ice is not as high as i would prefer. CBC shows plenty of replays, a lot of times it is Healy pointing out negative plays as opposed to positive.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Maritime Ronn says:

You brought up a good point about supporting cast.
          Plex never had what Toews had to work with.

You go on to mention, ” ….Whenever the league has a superstar, there is always a sizable chunk of the fan base who hate the fawning adoration that player gets and they look to another elite player.”

I respectfully disagree with that sentiment.
          The term “Superstar” is truly in the eyes of the beholder.

I do not believe there is a “Hate” – yet different people like/prefer/enjoy different qualities about different players.

During the Gretzky/Messier era in Edmonton – both were incredible, yet very different players.
          Some preferred MM – some preferred WG.

Perhaps the preferable way to go is to celebrate/respect the several great players and their different styles, instead of fawning over just one particular style of player that is a personal preference.

• Chris says:

Ron: Agree whole-heartedly. But there is definitely an anti-Crosby element at play in the NHL.

Where it really stuck out for me was at the Olympics, where all the newspapers were running “What’s wrong with Crosby?” or “Is Crosby impossible to play with?” headlines while simultaneously extolling the numerous virtues of Jonathan Toews. I had to question what games I had been watching, because to my eyes, both guys had been playing fairly equivalently: their lines were controlling the play whenever they were out there and had the opposition sweating bullets. But neither line was generating goals.

Crosby gets a lot of fawning adoration as the league tries to create a star-culture to rival that of the NBA or NFL. But in the process, a lot of backlash gets created.

I think you are right that there is some personal preference in terms of the style of play that is a factor: Ovechkin threw huge hits and was more fiery, and I think that made him attractive to people.

In Toews’ case, I actually don’t see that huge a difference between he and Crosby. Toews is a good board-player, but he’s not physically imposing: he was credited with 4 hits in the first round,. They are both hard working and talented players that you can put on the ice in any situation.

I actually see a lot of similarities between the two stars, with Crosby just being head-and-shoulders above Toews when it comes to offensive creativity and Toews being better defensively.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Chris

Absolutely enjoy exchanging with you.
            We see things so very different.
            Great fun.
            Cheers.

43. Cal says:

Why Canada should be better treated by the NHL:

NBC’s numbers for the NHL playoffs are an absolute joke.

44. 24AW says:

I don’t expect the Habs to beat Boston, but it should be a good series right now I would pick LA the dark horse to win the cup.

45. frontenac1 says:

Reports. Peter Horachek snuffed with the Panthers.

46. calvee123 says:

That’s bullcrap to have a Sunday afternoon game. America is in charge I guess.

47. CHicoHab says:

I don’t care who in the states adores hockey on Sunday afternoons. The one and only Canadian playoff team should be on Saturday night front and centre Hockey Night in CANADA. It’s available this Saturday. Unless we find out different.

• TPT Petes says:

Why? So Don Cherry can ramble on about the Leafs and needing another kiss on the lips from Kadri. Then he can argue that Matt Cooke should be suspended for life but that it was ok for Lucic to take out Emelin’s knee because Emelin hit him with a clean hit on the previous shift. I’m so tired of that blow-hard.

48. Strummer says:

I remember Sunday matinee Habs games on CBS in the late 60’s- Bill Mazer and Dan Kelly in the broadcast booth.
    In fact didn’t the Habs once clinch the Cup on a Sunday afternoon?

____________________________________________________
    “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

49. Hobie says:

Conor McKenna ‏@mckennaconor 4m

Report: Minnesota Wild to go all out to land Thomas Vanek this summer: http://www.twincities.com/wild/ci_25655607/charley-walters-wild-owner-leipold-will-go-all

• shiram says:

I read that one earlier.
      There’s a lot of sense in them signing Vanek.
      But they also have players to re-sign.
      They have to re-sign Zucker, Neidereitter, Fontaine, Coyle, Granlund, Brodin andKuemper.

Sure they get relief from not having Heatley under contract anymore, but they could decide to go another way than Vanek.

• Paz says:

There’s no reason to go another way, though. Vanek is excellent.

• shiram says:

Well they might prefer to have someone else in the top 6, the Wild fans that were discussing it were saying as much.

They were saying they already had 2 massive contracts with Parise and Suter, and they are unsure about adding another one.
          They felt it would be better use of the money to keep their own players in the fold long term.
          Of course they’d be happy to get Vanek, but they feel they have other options that are attractive.

• artartand says:

You mean the two massive contracts that the NHL let the Wild slip in before the work stoppage that would now be illegal? You mean those contracts?

Once a Habs Fan Always a Habs Fan!

• shiram says:

Yes those contracts.

• Frank2468 says:

Guess that means the offer for Vanek from the Wild could be somewhere in the area of 9.5 to 10.5 mil a year over 4 years? Guess MB won’t be able to meet that, hope Vanek can really help against the bruins now and make a lot of noise, because it looks like there is no next year in MTL when it comes to Vanek.

• artartand says:

Length of the contract offers will probably be the key if Vanek wants this to be his final contract. If that is the case, 4 years is not going to do it.

Once a Habs Fan Always a Habs Fan!

• Strummer says:

Habs have the money-that’s not the issue.
        It’s cap room. It all depends on what the cap will be next year.
        It might be less than the $70 million that was originally projected given the drop in the Canadian dollar.

______________________________________________________
        “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Tampering! Commissioner Bettman will not allow this endure unchecked.

We get Matt Dumba and Charlie Coyle as compensation. And the Wild lose their next two first-rounders. Which we get as further compensation. Fair’s fair.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Funny you should mention that – I was going a lookin’ for that, yet it was the reporter only musing about what may happen with no quotes from ownership/management

• B says:

The “going all out” number from the article is $40M and that doesn’t seem to add up right.

–Go Habs Go!–

50. shiram says:

Brown, Getzlaf and Toews named finalists for Messier NHL Leadership Award

51. habsfan0 says:

So,what will happen first?
    Start of Habs Bruins series,or NFL draft?

52. CHicoHab says:

Hopefully Rangers win tonite so the Nhl markets them to New York State Sunday afternoon!!!!!! Besides. A Thursday and Saturday night for the Habs should have been announced ages ago. What’s the problem!!!!!!!!!!!

• artartand says:

TD Garden is booked for a Friday morning graduaton ceremony (Harvard?) which means a Thursday night set-up and Friday afternoon tear down.

Once a Habs Fan Always a Habs Fan!

53. Nootch says:

Being that im based in the middle east i love afternoon games.those are the only games i can get to watch. Very excited for game 2. Its not easy being a fan 6000 miles away and a 7 hour time difference.
    The habs have a real big challenge that they must face. lets see what they are made of.
    Go Habs!!

54. JUST ME says:

I have a hard time believing that a date has not been decided yet to help the teams make the necessary arrangements. I have no difficulties believing that the fans are left to wait and figure out at the last minute whether they will attend or not. As usual fans will pay the price,fill up the stands and do whatever the NHL asks…

Listening to Marc Bergevin on radio from yesterday`s comments i can`t help but notice how far we are from darker days.

He was saying that a guy like Bourque sometimes just needs a hug to boost his confidence..I do not want to discuss the point itself but just the fact that Bergevin wants to implement a familly feeling when before Pierre Gauthier with his Monsieur Price,Monsieur Gionta Monsieur here and everywhere was a cold human being unable to stand any feelings at all. I prefer Bergevin myself…

55. shiram says:

Seidenberg is back practicing with Boston.
    He tore his MCL and ACL on the 27th of December.

56. sprague cleghorn says:

Aagh. I’m running tryouts for my midget team on Friday night and Sunday afternoon is a non-starter. Yech.

… ‘ow could we forget that?

57. Maritime Ronn says:

I wish they would get that Conference Call out of the way so we can know the dates.

The Conference call?
    It will go like this…..

– Hello Jeremy, this is Gary
    – What can I do for you, Gary?
    – Well, me and Colin were just wondering when you would like to start the series?

– Gary, I’ll go and talk with Cam, Peter, and Doughnuts and let you know. I want to make sure all my Bruins are happy and rested, and the longer we delay travel plans for the Habs the better.
    – Whatever you like Jeremy. Your wish is always my command Chairman Jeremy.

– Jeremy? Just 1 last thing. My $8 million/year contract is over in 2016 and…..
    – Gary, just do your job like 2011, and everything will be just fine.

– Thanks Jeremy. You’re the best. You can count on us…(whispers in the back ground “Do you understand, Colin?”)
    – Got you loud and clear, Gary – Loud and clear.

58. Chris says:

I don’t really get the uproar here…I have no problem with a Sunday afternoon game. In the United States, it has long been a tradition to play marquee games on Sunday afternoons once the NFL season ends, as this is a time slot that has long been associated with sports.

Boston routinely has afternoon games on the weekends…13 of their 82 games started in the afternoon. NBC payed a lot of money to get some say in how the games are scheduled, money that both the league owners and players enjoy. If it is a competitive advantage for Boston, given the number of afternoon games they play, all the more power to them…they earned the right by finishing where they did in the standings.

If Montreal wants a Saturday night game to kick off the series, they should have worked harder to finish ahead of the Bruins in the standings. As it stands, there would be Tuesday and Thursday night games in Montreal, and then there would probably be a Saturday afternoon (my guess) or evening game in Boston, barring an unforeseen sweep.

• Un Canadien errant says:

We can’t be willfully blind to the fact that Canadians have supported hockey and the NHL for over a century now, to a much greater degree than the U.S, that HNIC is an institution, with its Saturday night game a cultural touchstone, yet new kid on the block NBC gets to call the shot and mandates an afternoon game on Sunday.

It may be an accident of scheduling, or simply a benefit for the President’s Trophy winners, but I can see why some posters hate the Sunday afternoon game and would much prefer a Saturday night game.

The proof will come after the Tues-Thurs games next week, we’ll see if the next game falls on Saturday night, which would be logical, or if an NBC preferred afternoon game is scheduled again.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Tuesday, 04.19.2011

“In a deal that will deliver more nationally televised hockey to American fans than ever before, the National Hockey League and the NBC Sports Group have reached agreement on a record 10-year television and media rights deal, taking the partnership through the 2020-21 season.”

NBC Sports Group will pay about $200 million annually, for the length of the contract, reports SportsBusiness Daily

• Chris says:

When we compare that to the CBC’s current deal, which pays the NHL about $100 million annually, it isn’t too hard to see who gets first dibs on scheduling.

It will be interesting to see the power play that goes on starting next season, as the Rogers deals is for $5.2 billion over 12 years, or $430 million per season. Rogers is probably going to be far more aggressive about securing scheduling that works for their various platforms than the CBC has been. I expect that we will see more movement away from the Saturday night time slot as Rogers will want more Friday night and Sunday games involving marquee teams to maximize the return on their investment.

100Million coming from a country with 8 team representatives is $12.5Million per team, whereas a contract of 200Million which represents 22 teams is just under $9.1Million dollars.

Yes in gross dollars and cents the U.S. contract pays more, but the CBC/TSN contracts have been supporting this league for a great deal of time when there was virtually no U.S. TV contract.

THere is nothing wrong with throwing a bone to a country who treat hockey like religion.

• Chris says:

It doesn’t work that way, HiB. It is $100 million spread to 30 teams, vs. $200 million spread to 30 teams. One of those numbers is twice the other.

You can always spin the numbers…how would it look if we took the amount and divided it by viewers? I’ll bet you NBC’s investment comes out a LOT better than the CBC’s.

At the end of the day, the NHL is a business. The Canadian hockey fans cannot be alienated and they will put up with anything to watch their team. The growth potential is in the United States, and a Boston-Montreal series carries so much historical context that NBC can have a field day selling the game.

If I’m running the NHL, I make the same call. This series is the natural choice for the Sunday afternoon slot.

You and I see it different is all. If I’m running the NHL the Habs get a Sat. night game.

• BriPro says:

Hi Ron,

So I guess $200MM U.S. per year trumps the $5.2Billion from Sportsnet for Canadian TV.

I see one of two reasons for this.

1. Either our dollar is now on par with the South African Rand or
          2. There would be hockey night in Canada if the Bruins were facing the Leafs instead of the Canadiens.

• Chris says:

I hate this line of thinking. Does anybody think that Boston’s fans don’t support hockey? This is one of the oldest and strongest markets in the sport, a franchise that dates back to 1924 and has a strong, storied tradition of its own.

Montreal’s fans have no more right to the time slot we are used to (Saturday night) than Boston fans have the right to the time slot that they are used to (Saturday or Sunday afternoon). In fact, Boston won the right to let their fans’ preferences set the scheduling by finishing first in the NHL.

If Montreal were the home team, you can pretty much guarantee that Game 1 or 2 would be on Saturday night.

Canadian fans are far too whiny about scheduling. If we wanted more Saturday games, than they should be demanding that their teams actually perform in exchange for that support, ensuring that more than one Canadian team are in the playoffs. This would go a long way towards ensuring that Canadians would have a Canadian team to watch on Saturday nights.

Ultimately, I think the furor is somewhat phony. Only fans of the Canadiens, an undeniably sizable bloc, will be unhappy. Fans of the Maple Leafs are almost certainly not cheering for the Habs. Most of my hockey fan friends hate the Habs and are cheering for teams like Boston, Chicago or Los Angeles. They will be perfectly content to watch somebody else on Saturday night.

So with 1 team out of 16, soon to be 1 out of 8, they can have no favour curried their way? Understand Boston has hockey fans and the right to have games at their usual times also. But it isn’t whining to think the league could do a little something for the one team from the other country with a monster TV Contract.

• Un Canadien errant says:

We can agree to disagree on this one Chris. I’m not saying that the Bruins don’t have a fan base, although they had trouble filling their arena not less than a decade ago. Overall though, Canadian fans are more numerous, more passionate, and the Saturday night game is much more of a tradition north of the border than a Sunday afternoon game is south of the border, conflicting as it does with baseball, football, NASCAR, etc.

American networks prefer games in the afternoon because they don’t conflict with their primetime scheduling, whereas in Canada hockey IS primetime programming.

Like I said, the game after the Thursday night game at the new Forum will determine whether this is just an accident of scheduling, that the first game had to fall on a Friday therefore the next one had to be Sunday, and from there we go every two days. If Game 5 is on Saturday night, then we don’t have much to complain about, but if it’s an afternoon game again, then we know that the New York suits are catering to NBC and its U.S. audience and taking the Canadian market for granted, which isn’t bad strategy, but is contemptuous.

• Cal says:

People, especially hockey-mad Canadians, like their Saturday night habit and dislike change. It makes us ornery.
          I seem to remember a certain game against Boston in 1971 that was played in the afternoon, so I’m not worried.

• BriPro says:

Sorry Chris, but I can’t agree with you on this point.
          From a US-market perspective, the Bruins will be playing a regional game, in a country where hockey still falls below ping pong in the viewing audience’s preferences.

In Canada, hockey is our religion. On top of it, yes the Bruins is also an institution all on its own, but most of the players are Canadian. And as you know, that applies to most (if not all) teams, regardless of location.

As Canadians, we love our hockey. And an afternoon game in Eastern Canada is a mid-morning game for our Western Canadian friends.

I agree with the conspiracy theorists. This has Butthead / Daddy Campbell written all over it.

Well put UCe, it is indeed a Cdn. institution that Sat. Night is our featured game. The fact that only 1 Canadian team in the playoffs can’t get that game shows exactly what little is thought of the Canadian TV Contract. Perhaps Rogers should look at this and wonder if if indeed it was 3Billion well spent.

• artartand says:

I am from the US and agree that the most ardent hockey fans are from Canada and that is the problem. The NHL knows that Canadans will always support the league but the potential future growth of the fan base is in the US. Hence their playing to the US market.

Once a Habs Fan Always a Habs Fan!

59. Un Canadien errant says:

Ron Reusch looks at the Canadiens’ goaltending situation in the medium and long term.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• shiram says:

Condon is a bit old to be still playing in the ECHL, no?
      Guess that relates to him going the NCAA way.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Don’t know about that, but I think the important thing is that he’s clearly outperformed the level of the league and is ready to take the next step next season, and move up to the AHL. Which is good news for our farm system, which we needed, we took a couple hits with the illness of Tim Bozon and the loss of Sebastian Collberg.

60. BriPro says:

So the Thornton – Marleau crew look like they’re about to crash and burn, yet again.
    If I were Thornton, I think I’d just give it up. How many times can you be given an opportunity, and be so close, and yet tank before putting your hand on the prize?

And Saint Louis…. I would think the only reason they acquired Miller is because his wife (must be) is his agent. Another crash and burn scenario. They must be missing Halak by now.

And under the category of “The un-inspiring”, we have the Flyers/Rangers dual. I’ll go out on a limb and predict that whichever of our Habs or Bruins up-coming series winner will easily go the the Stanley Cup Finals. I’ll go even farther and stated that the Pens, even with Malkin (Crosby who?), as long as Fleury is in nets, they’re toast!

61. Black Horse says:

Here we go again. All the hockey world have the Broons destroying the Habs! BLAH BLAH BLAH …

If Montreal sticks to their game & does not engage in the Broons BS this series will be over in 5 games – another long rest for Our Habs!

” and the fun begins” – Carey Price

62. Bash says:

Nice work Ice! First is gooooooood!

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

Habs better win game one then because I can’t remember the last time they won an afternoon game. So Sunday is a guaranteed loss.

64. Say Ash says:

Yay, Canada!

Congrats to Toronto-native James Nielsen for setting the beer mile world record with a time of 4:57!

65. habs-fan-84 says:

Sigh, Sunday afternoon game. Right in the middle of band practice!!

66. habs-fan-84 says:

Re-post from previous thread:

One thing that always seems to be lost on the fans; like in any job, the rookie (new guy) always has to earn his way to the top.

I always read how rookie “x” should be playing on the top line or playing C immediately out of the gate (see Galchenyuk). That may be easy to say from the outside looking in, especially when you’re not the one not managing the personalities within the team. It is much different when you’re making those decisions and telling grown men they’ve been demoted in place of the “new guy” who hasn’t proven anything.

Bournival is still young and will be demoted in favour of a veteran Cup winner in Travis Moen. Bournival will pay his dues, and in time may be that veteran 10 years from now who gets the benefit of the doubt. However, That time is not now. Rightly so, Moen should suit up for this series. Moen is better defensively, is bigger, stronger and can still chip in the odd goal on the 4th line.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Agreed, that’s the philosophy that Marc Bergevin has described a few times, that the rookies make the decision for him, if they’re ready they force him to make room for them on the roster. It’s a little different than what some folks on here believe, that we should ease in our rookies, acclimate them to get them ready. He and Michel Therrien seem to be quite comfortable playing veterans until a rookie forces their hand.

67. Chris says:

Just saw the controversial goal in the Kings-Sharks game (moved this weekend, so no internet or cable at home right now)…the NHL and its officials are an utter joke.

Gotta love that you are now allowed to shove goaltenders backwards across the goal line. The Ondrej Palat on Carey Price goal was bad…this is brutal.

I was getting worried earlier this season that the increasing amount of allowed goaltender interference was going to become an issue in the playoffs, and it now appears that it is. Two goals that in no way should have counted have both been allowed to stand. Are we setting ourselves up for another Brett Hull toe in the crease goal?

• Kooch7800 says:

Sadly Chris, the NHL sucks at basically everything that requires consistency in applying rules or suspensions.

• krob1000 says:

It was brushed under the rug so quick…it was an extremely short review and perhaps it was the fact that Chris Lee called it a goal but it was bad…very , very bad. I understood the PRice non goal given it was goalie interference…PRice hads every right to initiate the contact..player is in his crease and he can’t move freely…if he doesn’t initiate contact he puts himself at the disadvantage..why would he do that?, they can say Subban held him in….he didn’t put him there to begn with..Palat drove voluntarily.
      . The other goal I was surprised they allowed…the Palat one…but given the controversy from the game before you knew they were allowing it. No excuse for last night…..none. That was compelte garbage and San Jose should be furious and I agrree with you and am afraid a dangerous precedent has now been set with these two goals standing…unless they publicly acknowledge the mistakes they have laid the ground work for a terrible new strategy that has long been outlawed.

• ebk says:

absolutely one of the worst calls I’ve ever seen. The Refs are the deciding factor in to many games.

I do have some sympathy for the NHL refs though. Not only do they have to know the printed version of the rule book but they also have to know the unwritten portion as well. And it’s largely the unprinted version of the book that determines what is an penalty and when it will be called. Can’t imagine how hard a job it must be.

• Chris says:

I definitely agree about the unwritten portion of the book, Earl. This is the maddening part of the NHL…we know that the referees receive “points of emphasis” heading into each season and each post-season, and these largely shape the way that the game is called.

I’ve been noticing increasing amounts of goaltender contact throughout the season. One of the earlier events that I thought was bush-league was when P.K. Subban basically stabbed his stick into the pads of Craig Anderson on his OT winner back in January. All of the commentary was on Subban’s celebration and the Senators’ reaction (if you don’t like it, don’t let him score!), but I remember being a little surprised that people were defending him stabbing his stick between Anderson’s pads. Since when was THAT allowed?

Since then, you’re starting to see that crap every few games, and the refs are looking away. Is this a point of emphasis from the league to try to help boost flagging goal scoring?

I would hate to see a team ousted on this type of goal, but it could very easily happen.

My immediate reaction to this potential scheduling of games is one of frustration towards what appears to be a league catering to the U.S. TV contract versus that of the Canadian TV contract.

Having said that, Boston won the Presidents Cup so perhaps a schedule in line with their normal games is perhaps fair. However, with only 1 Cdn. team in the playoffs you would think some weight would be held to at least try and cater to that team somewhat.

I recognize I am wearing my Habs coloured glasses, but that is just how i feel.

• You are allowed to feel that way, but contracts and population and $$$ trump your feelings and mine unfortunately. The wait will shortly be over. Friday is only 3 days away!

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• Luke says:

I however, would like to suggest that a Sunday Funday afternoon hockey game may be better than a “Sunday evening… oh my… it’s going to overtime and I have to work tomorrow and I probably should open just ONE more beer after I finish this intermission beer, of course. Oh, nachos!” game.

So yes, while I’d prefer the Habs play during their normal routine, I can certainly get behind a Sunday afternoon matchup.

• BriPro says:

You’re frustrated, Gerry?
      How about me??? I have poker friday nights, and two of the guys could give a rats behind about hockey.
      I’m torn….
      If I PVR the game, and watch it when I come home (between 1:00 and 3:30), I’ll be a mess for the entire weekend!
      Then I’ll have to rest on sunday afternoon instead of painting, and ….
      wait a minute… hmmm.

• Kooch7800 says:

Afternoon games suck. I just don’t enjoy them as much. Especially with spring here and tons of things to do around the house

69. jimmy shaker says:

Frickin idiot betterman…..catering to the american fans who will never ever care about the game of hockey…….SO screw the habs first and then screw the rest of Canada by making them play a stupid afternoon game which the cubs are more accustomed too and the habs really only played, what 4 nooner games all year? What a puke……already the bias is showing through. Why can’t they start on Thursday and have a HNIC game on Saturday night? There’s a ratings bonanza! What a complete joke!

Shaker out!

70. bjmmn says:

I hate matinee games…

71. CHicoHab says:

Sunday afternoon sucks!!!!!!!!!!!

72. icemachine says:

First?

Woohoo my first First after getting sniped yesterday.

So Friday/Sunday/Tuesday/Thursday for first 4 games? Can’t wait to see playoff action live!

73. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

If he was smart he would have known to keep his mouth shut.

X X X X 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

74. DipsyDoodler says:

Smart and successful?

You mean wealthy.

Confounding the two is a bit vulgar isn’t it?

—–
    Moving. Forward.

75. The Jackal says:

Why punish a family that is already unfortunate?

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

76. Phil C says:

I don’t think the wealth was inherited, so becoming wealthy on your own requires some brains and would fit the definition of success, would it not?