Huet to Caps for second-round 2009 pick

Cristobal Huet: Shocking trade
André Ringuette, NHLI via Getty Images

The Canadiens, in a trade that is nothing less than a shock, have dealt veteran goaltender Cristobal Huet to the Washington Capitals for a 2009 second-round draft choice. In fact, the pick is Anaheim’s, meaning it will be considerably lower than had it been Washington’s own.

Huet is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1, but there was no indication the Canadiens were planning to move him. However, the team’s decision to start Carey Price tonight, after the 20-year-old’s lacklustre showing on Saturday against Columbus in a 3-0 Montreal loss, did raise more than few eyebrows at the Bell Centre.

Jaroslav Halak has been recalled from Hamilton, asked to leave the ice there to catch a flight to Montreal, where he’ll back up Price tonight.

Unless the Canadiens make another deal today regarding their goaltending, they’ll hit the playoff stretch run with two netminders who have a combined zero games of post-season experience.

Price, now hearing his name in the same breath as former Canadiens playoff rookie goalies Ken Dryden and Patrick Roy, was at the Bell Centre this morning when the deal was announced. He had no comment about the transaction, but said he’d talk about it after tonight’s game.

Huet’s career statistics are below, as well as the Canadiens’ release on the deal and Halak’s recall. More to come.

Cristobal Huet’s career stats, as published at nhlpa.com:

1. mrstewart61 says:

No they didn’t. They got a 5th. They got more for Gill, a 2nd and a 5th.

2. Wayne says:

Well put, you and Windsor nailed it. Carey said he’ll miss Huet’s mentoring and friendship but like a good father, Gainey has dropped him from the nest confident he’ll soar one day.. (soon we hope;).

Cheers

3. Wayne says:

You’re right. It just took a little time to sink in. I felt bad for the guy, I guess. Glad we didn’t get Hossa for the asking price, either. Higgins said it best concerning trade talk distractions in Boone’s “Crazy Day ends” posting. Glad that stuff is over for another year. The TSN the hype was getting ridiculous.

4. Vancouver Hab Fan says:

Supply and demand equilibrium/forces show/verify it does make sense. If a better offer were available cleary Gainey would have taken it. Huet is/was not an elite goalie.

5. Vancouver Hab Fan says:

Huet’s latest outings sank his value. In the comeback versus the Rangers he made great stops but the two goals he let in were bad and his other games were sad.

I wish him well but I agree we are better off with Price and Halak and I look forward to them developing. I will bet in 2 to 3 years the Habs will have to move one of Halak or Price and they should get a #1 for him.

Go Habs!

6. DYCSoccer17 says:

All of the hockey “experts” are tearing this trade apart. They are saying how Gainey is stupid because he now has two young goalies with no playoff experience. They fail to realize that Huet has never played more than 42 games in the regular season and he has played in only 6 playoff games, going 2-4 in those games.

The pressure that Carey Price had on him at the WJC is much more than Huet has ever experienced in the NHL. Yeah, Price is young and he will make mistakes, but every goalie has to get his playoff baptism at some point…We all know about Roy and Dryden, but Brodeur was 20 years old when he got his first taste of the playoffs. Jose Theodore got his first taste at the playoffs when he was 20 as well. He turned into a hell of a playoff goalie.

The whole age and playoff experience thing is just way overrated IMO.

7. Vancouver Hab Fan says:

I was tied up all day so could not comment until now but all I want to say is I called this all year. It was clear to me that Gainey would not resign Huet with Price and Halak in the wings and Huet having never distinquished himself as elite. I also stated that I would choose Price in the playoffs over Huet and apparently Gainey was of a like mind.

Huet was the consumate team player and a competitor but I think the team will be better off without him. Huet continued to let in soft goals. He would stop 33 pucks with 8 great saves but he would let in 2 or more bad goals in the same game to sink the team. I wish him well but I think the Habs are better for the move.

Go Habs!

Go Price!

Go Halak!

8. smiler2729 says:

Gainey fired?
    Did it ever occur to you that a 2nd round pick was the best anyone would offer for Cristobal Huet? He’s not a solid number one goalie, nor will he ever be. Huet’s a better than average backup or a quality 1(a) goalie. I liked him, I thought he did a great job but once he got established as our number 1, he continually made me nervous (remember last year’s finale vs. Toronto when a hot Halak should have started? Remember Matt Stajan(!) and his weak wrist shot from the blue line in a game this season when Toronto(!) beat us in the last minute? Remember all the five holes last week against Pittsburgh? REMEMBER Cory Stillman’s OT goal over his shoulder when he went down too soon to end the playoff vs. Carolina??)
    Yeah, he can be great but he’s prone to a bad goal that just completes throws his game confidence into a tizzy and every other team knows that now.
    As for Gainey’s trades, the best ones are the ones you don’t make. Why make a trade just for the sake of making a trade? Did you want to see Higgins and who knows who else from the roster leave for a 2-month rental of Hossa who conveniently disappears in playoffs (see Ottawa)?
    Do you really think Mike Ribeiro would be having a season like he is if he had stayed in Montreal? No way! Ribs was not respected in the room (see soccer antics vs. Boston) and an immature player that needed to be moved, his trade to Dallas was our headache for theirs (Niinimaa).
    Yeah, Gainey should be fired, look at the scouting staff he put in and everything they’ve given us (2003: A.Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Halak/ 2004: Chipchura, Yemelin, Grabovsky, Streit/ 2005: Price, Latendresse, S.Kostitsyn/ 2006: Fischer, Valentenko/ 2007: McDonagh, Pacoiretty, Subban)… think again, friend.

In Bob We Trust

9. Hobie Hansen says:

Christobal Huet did have some magic in him, that’s for sure. He was a better than average goaltender who who flirted with being a great one at times. I don’t mind the move for a 2nd round pick because baring a stroke of very good luck that Habs weren’t winning the cup this year and it forces Price into the spotlight, gaining valuable experience.

I’m glad Montreal didn’t get Hossa either because Pittsburgh overpaid. Perhaps the kostitsyn brothers may never score 40 goals, maybe they will, but Montreal already has a bunch of flash and dash European players. What Montreal needs, and have needed since the days of Shayne Corson, is a power forward. No player fitting that description was available and Gainey is too smart make a stupid move to just please the fans.

Good move Bob, you’re doing a top notch job bringing the young players along, keep it up!!

10. Chuck says:

My guess is that Gainey and Trevor Timmins already have their eyes on a particular player that they want to draft with that pick. It won’t be in vain.

Bob’s own assesment during his press conference was that Huet essentially didn’t live up to the standards that they expected from him; the decision to move him was finalized yesterday following Hut’s substandard play of late.

Also, JS Aubin was traded for a 7th round pick; the market for goaltenders was obviously not high this time around.

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

11. WindsorHab-10 says:

We got the best we can for Huet. You have to realize that there’s no market for goalies right now and most teams, like most of us, feel that Huet is a backup and not a starter. I don’t think Gainey would’ve offered Huet a contract had he stayed and at the end of the day, this is best for the team. Our future lies with Price & Halak and I’m extremely happy that we are down to those 2 capable goalies. I think we’re in good hands. Good luck Huet.

12. gohabzzzz says:

I’m always the last one posting..oh well. I was absolutely shocked to hear his trade. honestly, I thought we could’ve atleast keep him for the rest of the season and see what happens from there but he was obviously not in the future plans, as Gainey told the media. All I have got to say is that he was a really good goaltender here. Forsure, he has had bad game but so did Brodeur at the beginning of the season. I for one will never forget what he has done for the habs and I truly believe that he was an important part of this team.
    sigh
    gohabzzzz

13. RH says:

With Anaheim’s second round draft pick, in the 2009 draft? Wow, that’s what I call planning ahead. Especially if Anaheim continues to be among the top teams in the league next season and they finish at, or near the top of the standings.

14. Shobud says:

I guess the old man called it right..Everyone was saying trade Huet for this one and that one and I said they would be lucky to get a draft pic for him.. I don’t know where people thought he was so good..His first season he was great and went downhill from there.. Now we have a chance to go deep

15. Wayne says:

That doesn’t make any sense at all. Bob, out of the whole league, you couldn’t even get a warm body for Huet? Silly, absolutely silly. There are teams out there with assets (not picks), looking for a stopper like him. What is the rationale?

16. M.RichardKoivu-equals-InsideJob says:

At least Huet won’t have to get new equipment!!!

————————————————————————–
    DVDs that will open your eyes:
    1. Endgame
    2. The Great Global Warming Swindle
    3. Terrorstorm: 2nd Edition
    4. Martial Law

17. OldGrover says:

What a ballsy move – you know if the Habs don’t get into the playoffs or don’t go deep into the playoffs people will be pointing at this trade.

I can’t see that this is the only move that’ll happen today. There’s more coming.

(And HabsInsideOut is going down in flames – I don’t think they quite anticipated the traffic load :) )

18. Vecs says:

Bob has to be making another move. There is no way you make this move with nothing else in mind. Huet is worth more as Careys backup for the playoffs than a second round pick. Bob has to be kidding me.

19. Norm0770 says:

I don’t quite get it because Price doesn’t have any playoff experience, but Huet only has 4 games and an 2-4 record. We’ll just have to wait and see what happens.

20. johnnyhab says:

Huet was my favorite goalie…but life goes on we now as Mr. Stubbs has pointed out two goalies NO playoff experience between them.

21. skoehn says:

this is going to come back to bite… Price and halak are good goalies but are you young and lack experience needed.. they are also going to be fighting for number 1 i know most ppl see this as a good thing, but in this case its not going to work.. Price is now n the position of losing the position to halak not to mention that the playoffs are now in his hands and a guy who wants also to lead in the playoffs.. No veteran to help them with their mental game.. there is going to be a break down at some point… interesting how ive heard ppl say that price can relax and be #1 ummm no he has to fight halak for the job.. price played great last night and everyone jump on that one look he is ready, he can do, It was 1 game… no disagree his is good but you cannot judge that based on 1 game where clearly the defense was awesome everyone was awesome last night scoring goals and keeping the momentum on there side… That is huge factor in the win

22. skoehn says:

This should not have happened Huet you deserve better good luck

23. nigel-ski says:

I, for one, advocated trading Huet at last year’s draft, or afterwards during the summer–with the idea that we see what we have in Danis, Halak, and Price. If Huet was traded back then, we would’ve gotten a higher return for sure.

Gainey got ripped off for Huet, period. Just like with Ribeiro. I’m trying to think of even ONE trade that we’ve won with Gainey as GM. We clearly lost this one–or can anyone on the site explain to me how Hal Gill is worth more than Huet??? I didn’t think so…

Had this occured last summer, when I suggested it here in these very pages, I would have no complaints. To do this while the team is enjoying such success makes no sense at all. Sure, Huet was going through a rough patch, but even Dryden and Roy had those from time to time. A bona-fide #1 goalie should fetch more than a 2nd rounder, every time.

Should we end up missing the playoffs because of this, I hope Gainey gets fired. I also can’t help thinking that we would’ve gotten Hossa at the deadline, had Gainey only taken a chance at last year’s draft–and taken Esposito rather than yet another defenceman. Sure, we would’ve overpaid, but that’s the deadline for you. We’d still have gotten the impact player we needed to help us go deep in this year’s playoffs. Now, with the move of Huet, we could end up missing the playoffs altogether…

Lastly, someone, please explain where this sudden surge of confidence in Halak is coming from–he was kept off the team in October due to Gainey’s meddling, and wasn’t even played during the 12 or 13 game period in which he had been called up this past January.

Habs rule, Leafs drool…

24. moser17 says:

The Carey Price era has begun, they’re saying on TSN.

25. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

talk about being blindsided….this is a MAJOR MOVE…

you don’t just trade your #1 goalie going into the stretch…very very interesting…

I’m sure the story isn’t done yet….SOMETHING BIG COMING

———
    1. Feb 19, 2008 – History was made.
    1. ONLY BELIVEAU CAN CONVINCE LECAVALIER…
    2. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev…..at his PRIME
    3. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    4. We will win the CUP

26. gabe. says:

Jeez..I hope this pans out. I think they could’ve gotten something more.

27. HotHabs says:

thus begins the young goalie era of Price & Halak in Montreal. Also, I think Bob’s gonna use that 2nd round draft from Wash to pull off an even bigger deal. I hope that’s not the only move Mr. Gainey makes today…

enjoying the high’s & enduring the lows of being a Habs fan

28. Ali says:

Huet wasnt the best goalie in the league, but he did an admirable job for us.

He’ll be missed…so one last time!

HUET! HUET! HUET!

29. Steiner says:

I am in
    complete
    shock.

30. HKisses says:

JOKI AND HOSSA BOTH COMMIGN TO MTL

31. von says:

Time for Price and Halak to get some playoff experience is more like it!

32. Barts says:

Eklund saying Hossa and Jokinen on the Habs radar….