Huet, Latendresse to face Capitals; Ryder sits

Here’s an update from Washington.

Cristobal Huet starts in goal after Carey Price had started seven consecutive games.

Michael Ryder sits while Guillaume Latendresse will be back in the lineup. The lines should resemble those of Tuesday night, with Latendresse replacing Ryder.

Latendresse, Saku Koivu and Christopher Higgins were on the first power-play unit, with Alex Kovalev, Tomas Plekanec and Andrei Kostitsyn on the second unit.

1. zooziff says:

I have not been Carbo’s biggest fan, however, he did not destroy Samsonov’s career. I feel for Ryder, I think he needs a change of scenery.

2. Chorske says:

You forgot our between-the-ears fragility.

And our lack of a big centre!! ;)

3. showey47 says:

no disrespect but i disagree with your comment. Samsonov has only 4 assists this season (he is tied with panther goalie tomas vokoun for points). He is playing for an offensive minded coach, he has no one to blame but himself. He will be playing in russia with yashin next season. Ryder did score 30 goals under carbo last season, he has been given every oppurtunity to produce some goals but he is just not scoring for us. If he isn’t scoring goals, he isn’t much use for us because he really doesn’t bring anything else other than being trade bait.

4. LTHF says:

Well as I suspected Carbo has made Ryder the whipping boy again after the team’s poor performance on Tuesday. He gets to play in Montreal where he is getting booed and sits on the road. I guess whatever confidence Ryder has left Carbo is trying to destroy it completely. One would think Ryder would get to play on the road to see if can get out of the funk he is in. Years ago when Alex Delvecchio went 25 games without scoring a single goal, his coach didnt sit him, if anything he got more ice time in an effort to break his slump which it eventually happened.

5. RiverviewCanadien says:

witout kovy there would be no wins…and koivu is still a good captain

6. likehoy says:

that’s unfortunate…not that i’m not Kovy/Koivu fans…it’s just that Kovalev’s at his highest sell point at the moment and i’m not trying to shaft koivu, but winning is more important than your allegiance to your players, ask sam pollock. I would absolutely love koivu to win his cup here in Montreal, but we’re still many years away and it could just be the best option for both parties.

7. showey47 says:

i think perezogin’s departure was strictly finacial. Gainey would have to offer about 3 million per season to match what was offered in russia. Thats alot of cash for a guy who scored 6 goals last year. Look at how many young russian players have opted to return to the homeland to play for more money and a less gruling schedule.

8. likehoy says:

i miss perezhogin…he was about to break out (and he is in russia)

He is >>>>>> grabovski

9. Kevin says:

Can’t forget Perezhogin. Thus far the only survivor is Kovalev.

10. ccs says:

So far Guy has destroyrd Samsonovs and Ryders career. He really knows how to get the most from his players. Who is next to fall???? Oh mabey Price so sad. Good luck Habs….

11. Drive_4_25 says:

BTW I have to agree with the rest of your comments! Calling out price etc…

“God is a HABS fan whose still pissed at the ROY trade!!!”

12. Drive_4_25 says:

Just in case YOU MISSED IT! were DECEMBER 20th and Ryder has 3 GOALS!!!!!
    I think Carbo was MORE THAN PATIENT with Ryder… He’s doing what he BELIEVES will give the team the best chance at WINNING! Being more patient with Ryder would be a true DUMB-ASS move! He’s certainly NOT what I want want as a coach, but on this I have to agree with him!

“God is a HABS fan whose still pissed at the ROY trade!!!”

Just an honest effort for 60 min. All floaters are to remain in the room please.

A little intensity would be nice for a change BOYS !!

14. RiverviewCanadien says:

koivu and kovalev will not be leaving this club this year

15. likehoy says:

Carbo had every right to call out a 20-year old rookie player…in the dressing room. Approaching the media and saying he needs to be better is a mistake. Saying that Price made a mistake is completely fine, you’d be a fool to try to convince yourself Price made the right play, but asking your goalie to be better through the media is just stupid. Anyone think Carbo’s holding a grudge since he wanted halak and not price on the team??

steven stamkos…touted 1st overall this year…I’d throw away this season and the next to get a shot of having Stamkos and Tavares on our team. That being said, we should package Ryder, a first rounder and Huet for Los Angeles, Atlanta or Washington’s first rounder. Those 3 teams have a very good chance of finishing bottom 5 and it would be a huge steal to be able to draft a star player. If koivu and kovalev have to go to get a shot at those 2 kids, then I’d do it. 5 more years of the elder K’s or 10 years of exciting young players and an actual shot to win the cup…i’d choose the young guys. besides the kostitsyns are doing a good job of becoming our new K’s.

16. The Cat says:

What I mean is Price should consider himself lucky to have Carbonneau as coach and not Mike Keenan lol

17. The Cat says:

Calling out Price was a mistake by Carbonneau, but I forgive him. Price has not been excellent but rather pleasantly average; howeve if Huet had made some of the same mistakes, especially when handling the puck (which hes been guilty of a few times too many in my opinion), he’d have been crucified.

18. gumper says:

Before the game, in one of the clips her on HIO, Carbonneau stated that the team would be “playing for the tie”.
    They came up a goal short. Maybe tonight they should “play for the win”. That way we should get the tie, and a chance to win in overtime.

Seriously….what coach plays for the tie?

19. Joe Habsfan says:

Unbelievable…I cannot believe Carbonneau has not been fired yet..Ryder should be on the top line breaking out of his slump…instead Carbonneau decides to crush his confidence even more by scratching him for Latendresse who is much worse than Ryder. Also I strongly believe that if he isn’t banished he will ruin Carey Price. YOU DON’T PUBLICLY CALL OUT A TWENTY YEAR OLD GOALIE WHO HAS PLAYED WELL FOR ALLOWING THREE GOALS IN A GAME. ONE OF THOSE GOALS WAS HIS FAULT BUT AN UNUSUAL MISTAKE….ITS NOT PRICE’S FAULT IF THE DAMN TEAM CAN’T SCORE!

20. habsguy says:

LOLOLOL….college days, thats the best joke I’ve seen here….thanks for picking my day up !!!!

21. The Cat says:

Agreed on the point about the defensemen shooting low. Its amazing how pros lack the simplest of skills sometimes: like putting the puck up when faced with a sprawling goalie, I dont know how many forwards Ive seen shoot low and right on the pads in that instance; it drives me nuts I tell you.

22. likehoy says:

both is true, which puts their trade value at pretty much their peaks. Trading both would definitely gut our team but we have other trading pieces so trading one would be ok. but the potential of tavares and stamkos together would be amazing. watch the WJHC and see how great they are. Kane and Toews are just starting their careers and they’re ripping it up over in chicago. With our young guys + 2 blue-chip allstars and price, we’d have a bright future. We already do with all the dmen and pacioretty looking great, but young explosive player would put us over the top. I know Gainey says we aren’t rebuilding, but getting a top-end talent is a must either through trade or draft. I know I’m being impatiently patient (trying to make moves to develop a future…) but we consistently draft between 12-18 and it’s a matter of luck of getting that top end talent (but we’ll probably nail down a sure-fire NHLer). Another indication of desperation to draft at higher positions is that our brightest talent is Carey Price right? Drafted 5th overall, and that pick was given to us by the lottery. Thank goodness we didn’t pick brule that year that everyone was expecting us to pick.

Until then, our hopes lie on both kostitsyns’ to maximize their potential and latendresse becomes the powerforward we think he can. Our next best offensive prospect in my opinion is Ryan White. Everyone else is either too small or career has gone wayward.

23. Ed says:

Could someone tell me why Carbonneau has been benching Ryder for road games only? This is the 3rd consecutive road game in which he has been benched, while Carbonneau continues to play him in Montreal where he is far from being a fan favourite, & is subject to constant booing, even though he has been getting little ice time.

On the road he has 3 goals and 3 assists in 14 games, while he is 0 and 4 at the Bell Centre in 17 games. In the last 3 games at home, his ice time was 8:10, 10:42 and 9:19. In the last game, he was on the ice for both Habs’ goals, and was +1.

It’s time for Montreal to trade Ryder, as it is obvious that they have given up on him. They are doing nothing to increase any trade value he may have by sitting him.

24. belair57 says:

When a player strugles the way Ryder is, it is up to the coach to make sure he snaps out of the slump and to get motivated. But you are right, Carbo keeps on putting him in situations where he feels uncomfortable. He should be sitting at home and playing on the road.
    Great point Ed. Another reason why Carbo does not know how to motivate or communicate with players.

25. krob1000 says:

I have one request for the defenseman tonight…..plese follow Markov’s lead the other night and shoot low. We killed about five or six quality possessions the other night with waist high floaters from the point without much traffic. If there is no traffic shoot low and hope for the rebound (it’s pretty hard to catch with a stick and/or pads!!).

I am pretty disppointed that we are again benching Ryder coming off a loss in which we lacked offense but I have beaten that topic to death so I will just accept it because it is not going to change. TradeRyder please change your name to HurryUpAndTradeRyderPlease for the sake of both parties.

I was also hoping to Sergei K on the PP as I think he has looked pretty good during the few stints he has had and his playmaking is very impressive. I even have this weird vision of Sergei K playing with Ryder on a line and actually getting things going. He seems to be more of a setup man than a sniper and might work pretty well on a line with Ryder and Chips but I know that will ever happen. It would however give Lats a chance to play on the top line where he has made some noise by working the boards and crashing the net. That may give us three legitimately threatening lines and at the same time get Ryder going. I guess I lied about letting the Ryder thing go didn’t I.

I also hope to see Huet play a very strong game and for Carey Price to be the first one to caongratulate him. Even if it happens you know the cameras won’t show it. Instead they’ll probably do some Survivor style editing to make it look there is a major issue between them.

Please Habbies do not end up in the penalty box much tonight because the idea of Semin and Ovechkin on the ice at the same time kind of scares me.

Please mix up the forechecking throughout the game. I cannot stand the stagnant forecheck or trap or system or whatever that stupid thing is. I fully understand it and Jacques Lemaire stole the idea from basketball and anyone who knows even the slightest thing about basketball knows it is not meant to be a sustained tactic. Yes tehe New Jersey Devils did it and the Wild do it …great…good for them. How many people do you know who like the Devils or Wild?? I don’t know why we can’t be like a basketball team and have Carbo calling out forechecks (maybe he does but it doesn’t seem that way). Why not give the other defense all sorts of looks. 1-2-2 followed by a 2-2-1 on the next shift or even the second dump in on the same shift.

I know it would throw us off so it may just surprise the other team. When you play one style the other team adjusts. I may be very stupid in saying this as I have hesitated for two days from writing it because it sounds so simple and I started doubting if I was in fact mistaken insaying we played the trap for pretty well the whole game again against Florida.

I would love to see us use a basketball mentatlity and give the other team many different looks. This would (in my imaginary, simple mind anyway) keep guys active and force them to maintain their focus as daydreaming wouldn’t be possible and they would have to stay aware.

This all so sounds so simple and maybe it goes on and I am an idiot……I am sure someone on here will let me know if I am.

26. belair57 says:

No you are not an idiot. Carbo does not have the brains to play any other system than his so called simple system, which the players don’t seem to be buying in.
    As far as I am concerned, depending on the score and how the game is going, strategies change. 2-1 game or a 5-0 game each merit a different type of strategy (coaching), this is where Carbo fails. (along with other points which I will not get into).
    Throw off the opposition with different plays, come on now you are asking too much from a “my way or the high-way” type of a coach. (I am just being sarcastic)
    A great XMAS present for Carbo will be the book titled
    HOW TO WIN FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE by Dale Carnagie.

27. odber says:

i,m tired of hearing carbo saying the players won,t play the system,if they have,nt figured it out by now,forget about it.Ryder can be effective as long as he remembers it,s a contact sport,too many forwards for the habs seem to forget that fact,while our d-men are getting pasted,the opposing d-men usually get off scott free with only usually a stick check,i,ve had enough of the two shot first periods and believe carbo goes or get rid of the malcontents who refuse to put an effort in and lets see this team perform on a consistant basis,the people who fill the bell center every game deserve at least that much,get on with it.

28. Habs_008 says:

Glad to see Lats back in the line-up, lets see what happens. Ryder is a Top 6, if he isnt on the first 2 lines, trade him, i am sure there will be GM’s out there interested.

29. JB_15 says:

I agree – we are wasting valuable games where we can have someone more useful in the lineup who we could acquire from another team for Ryder. When is this guy going to be put on waivers to clear cap space or traded to improve the lineup?

30. Panther says:

With Lats back on Koivus line, does that mean the little “K” brother ends up on a third line with a couple of muckers.

31. HabFab says:

I’m not sure…but I don’t think Lats is playing on the first line tonight, so little K will still be up there doing his thing.

32. downeast hab says:

It seems that Carbo has not caught up with the new nhl. He apparently was taught the system of the old nhl, and with the clutching, grabbing,and everything else that you dont see in todays game not allowed, Is system fails and he doesnt know how to adjust. I said it before, and I will say it again, if Crosby played on this team carbo would find a way to mess with is ability to play.

33. Rugger says:

I have to dissagree. Carbo is not the cause of Ryder’s slump, and he has given him ample opportunity to break out of it. It is up to Ryder to take advantage of whatever game time he gets, and I say this as a big Ryder fan who does not want to see him traded.

34. odber says:

will latendresse remember it,s contact hockey,the last game i saw him play he could have had a pocketful of eggs and not have been worried about breaking any,incredibly soft player,how he gets on the pp is beyond me,the young russian kid was far more impressive,looked like he really wanted a job and was willing to do whatever it took to stick with the big club,i,d like to see that desperation in alot more of the forwards.