Huet is NHL’s third star for January

Canadiens goaltender Cristobal Huet has be rewarded for his stellar play during the last month as he was named the NHL’s third star for the month of January behind Alexander Ovechkin and J.P. Dumont.

Huet posted an 8-2-1 record last month, with a 2.40 goals-against average and one shutout in 11 games.

For the season, Huet has posted an 18-8-6 record with a 2.34 GAA and .923 save percentage.

1. idle says:

At this point I am not saying that the Habs should try for him, or that I think he will regain his play with the Habs, but it was during the off season that I was bringing Forsberg up as a possibility and saying I hoped the Habs could bring him in. Regardless of his problems over the past few seasons you can never overlook his past and the talent that he has. It might be worth a shot. Can you imagine dropping a player like Forsberg with his talent into the mix of our top 6 forwards?

2. idle says:

There are more examples then just Huet. Jeff Hackett was a good goalie but he was never really good until he came to Montreal and started working with Rollie and he put together a couple of really solid seasons with the Habs. I think unlike many forwards who have come here and played at a lesser level then when they did before coming or after leaving, most goalies tend to play some of their best seasons here in Montreal.

3. G-Man says:

Nashville thought the same way last year and Forsberg was a great big balloon that deflated each time he stepped onto the ice for them. 7 seasons ago, I would have said “Trade the team for him”, but now he’s a waste of cap space with an ankle he cannot skate on. Sure, Booby Orr played on one knee for 5 or 6 seasons, but he was incredible. Forsberg ain’t.

Gilbert

4. earl says:

Huet is the most consistent netminder in hockey. Period.

The idea that he was going to be jettisoned before the trade deadline has never been on the table, mostly trade happy fans who are obsessed with making upcoming free agents players that Gainey “must get something for” before their expiration dates.

Glad to see people coming around, consensus makes for smoother discussion in the blogosphere.

5. N.B.habs fan says:

Timo,I cant see how it would hurt to add a player like Forsburg to our line up could be the center to do the job to help the captian,provided he stay healthy,he could be the spark like Recchi is to Alanta.

6. N.B.habs fan says:

Hey TIMO ,I am with you on your comments and agreed on you wanting more of a #1 goalie,because he was not up to par at the start of the year.There is nothing wrong with wanting Huet to improve especially in the shootout.

7. nightmare_49 says:

The Hamilton Dawgs beat the Manitoba Moose 2 to 1 in a shootout. Milroy tied the game in the last minute of the third period. Corso and Milroy were the scorers in the shootout and Manitoba was blanked by Carey Price in their 4 attempts. Price stopped 20 of 21 in 65 minutes and was the 2nd star and Duncan Milroy was the workhorse of the game.

8. Bill H says:

Funny now these things work. Huet finished 2nd in Molson Cup standings with 11 points to Kovalev with 15 points. I too thought Huet would be gone at the trade deadline, but it is not looking that way now. I hope Gainey signs him because it would be a shame to lose him for nothing.

9. Chorske says:

To heck with ‘not trading’ him. As I’ve said since September: re-sign him.

10. Chorske says:

A throw in who had demonstrated some brilliance on his national squad, so it’s not like he was coming in cold. Still, there is no doubt that Rollie has helped Huet develop into the star he is now.

11. Chuck says:

That moment definitely seemed to be a turning point for Huet. Dare I say, he won this award with a fine second half of the month.

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

12. Chuck says:

The award is for Huet, not you.

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

13. Xtrahabsfan says:

Well well, that was a good month for Huet and I wish to thank him ,please keep it up and please work on the high shots with Rollie.And Carbo give Halak a shot would you.

14. Sulemaan says:

Well deserved. I’ll put my hand up and admit that I thought Huet would be dealt by the trade deadline. I hope Gainey signs him because I don’t want another Souray situation.

I also wonder if Rollie Melanson gets any credit here? A few posters were tearing him up not long ago. Blaming him for this. Blaming him for that. Blaming Melanson for Price’s problems. Ad nauseum.

Last I recall, Huet was a throw-in as part of a trade and ended up becoming a great goalie after he met Rollie Melanson and came to Montreal.

If Los Angeles knew what they had, would they have still traded Huet to Montreal?

15. earl says:

I think it’s generally understood that Gainey will sign Huet to a new contract. I’ll even go so far as to predict it happens before season end. I’ll give it a month for negotiations to heat up.

16. HabsFansince49 says:

Here we are on Feb 1:
    Teams GP Pts
    Sens 52 68
    Habs 51 63
    Bruins 51 59
    Sabres 50 52
    Laffs 53 49

Any person on this site who utters a negative vowel about the Habs or any player or coach has the same level of mentality at those police who issued a warrant on Guy.

We are working well. 3 out of 4 pts back to back with Washington – not bad, not bad at all. There is chemistry. Even the dreadful egomaniacs at TSN admitted this much.

Bob – trade no one! Even if we are offered Lecavalier for 6 pucks so “no”. Stick with the team; continue to build their confidence.

17. skoehn says:

CRISTOBAL HUET!!! Way to go Well deserved I have always said he plays better and better when you leave him in adn let him play…loving it….

18. RH says:

Congrats to Cristobal Huet. With every accolade he racks up, he proves,(especially to me), how valuable he is to this organization. Up until about half way through last season, I had just figured that Huet was just another body to put in front of the net until the Habs could get a quality goaltender ready for the bigs.

I really think Huet could be a great mentor to young Mr. Price, as he tries to make his niche in the pros. Huet has demonstrated great mental toughness and resiliency through out his tenure as a Hab and he can only be a positive role model to Price once he gets called back to Montreal.

19. WestHab says:

It was a good move for Montreal to choose a goalie and give him the #1 job. I don’t think it works to have a goalie play only every other game or 2 out of three. Huet is making the difference and giving the team a chance to win any game…..Nice work..and his puck handling has improved as well!

20. Yeats says:

A well-deserved pat on the back. Ever since he and the Hammer collided, he has really found his game. And, what a game it is.

21. RetroMikey says:

Bravo Cristobal! You fully deserve this honour and hopefully a Molson Cup Month of January winner! It just shows that this guy was focused before training camp not to lose his starting position to Carey Price and he will be our No.1 heading to the playoffs. Carey Price will be returning back a better goalie before the playoffs began and we’ll have the best 1-2 goaltending duo in the league!
    “We will win the Cup only with Carey Price in the nets”

22. RiverviewCanadien says:

Congratulations Huet! You deserve it…BIG TIME!

23. RiverviewCanadien says:

LOL, so true there alot of fans jumping back on the HUET bandwagon, but it is all good 🙂

I have stood behind him all the way…

HUET! HUET! HUET!

24. I am Canadien says:

Good for him! He deserves the recognition. It’s also a reflection on well the D is playing as well.
    Offense is fun; defense wins games…
    $$$

25. Peter Young says:

This must be very sweet for Huet, particularly since the award covers the month in which he received a huge amount of criticism from fans of his team on the main fan comment site for his team–in other words, on this blog. You never would have known he was a contender for such an award had you followed along here. Fans get unduly excited over one or two questionable goals, I know, but even so. Sheesh.

26. habsguy says:

Hummmm…seesm like everyones climbing back on the wagon…LOL….maybe Old Rollie isn’t so bad after all !!

27. gohabzzzz says:

very, very, VERY well desevered!!:)
    man, I bet if he speeks to the media he’ll be all like ‘ oh, well it’s really the guys who play in front, they help a lot..’ but what he REALLY means is:’ yeah, sometimes, my D can be so incompetent.. and yes, I am ‘ da bomb ‘.:P
    just kidding
    gohabzzzz

28. N.B.habs fan says:

great for Huet,allways had faith in him,mabe now TIMO will be a little happier to see his #-1 goalie is #1 for a month,not bad ah TIMO.GO HABS GO.

29. habsgod says:

CONGRATULATIONS CRISTOBAL YOU DESERVE IT!

30. G-Man says:

Right on ’49! Check out Mike Boone’s EEEEmail in the Gazette this morning about Guy. The man has heart.

Gilbert

31. RiverviewCanadien says:

right you are cournoyer12, remember back to the rambling on after Price lost the game to the Caps, boys I took a beating back then for saying Huet should be getting more play and that he is our number 1. Well look who is enjoying watching Huet win, me and the other few that stood up to the non-believers who thought Huet would be traded by now, and that Price would be our starter.

Hip Hip HUET!

32. G-Man says:

Have to agree, Westhab. But the puck handling? 🙂

Gilbert

33. G-Man says:

Is that how he make some of those incredible stops? 🙂

Gilbert

34. Da Hema says:

Huet has demonstrated an ability to be consistent. Price and Halak have yet to demonstrate consistency, although Halak gave the Habs very good goaltending during his brief tenure at the end of last season. Huet is usually very good, and occasionally great. Interestingly, Price had every opportunity to take Huet’s job earlier this season, and he failed to do so. Clearly the pressure was a little too much for Price. I am confident he will be fine. Price just needs a little more development time before being thrown into the fire. I think we can all agree that it is good for the team to have a calm and cool veteran between the pipes.
    _________________________________________________________
    “The worst day of fishing beats the best day of working.”
    –Martin Crane, “Frasier”

35. Vecs says:

Huet is the best player on our team. Thank god he’s been given a chance to play a string of games. It’s about time for him to repeat the end of the 05/06 regular season.

“The Underappreciated Cristobal Huet” http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=1603