Video: How ya like me now?

pk-subban-photo-shoot

The “P.K. or Whatever His Name Is” Subban highlight reel, posted to YouTube by cmrose16:

1. OneTimer says:

I’ve been watching this video several times a day since Saturday. Flippin’ awesome.

2. AH says:

Didn’t Cherry pop off on National TV back in October and say about the Leafs: “Mark my words I’m telling ya they’re gonna make the playoffs!”?? If so, I wonder if he’ll play that clip back on Saturday for all of us to see. LOL!!

• Nahlsy says:

In that same clip, Cherry was talking about Kadri and how “you need a cocky kid like that” and pointing out that the Leafs shouldn’t do anything to mess with that cockiness on him.

• VancouverHab says:

Yes, and Don Cherry said in plain English in the CC segment in this clip that he thought P.K.’s cockiness was a favourable attribute.

Sigh.

3. joeybarrie says:

DON CHERRY WAS 100% RIGHT. PK IS A PUNK AND WILL NEVER TURN INTO ANYTHING OTHER THAN A LUCKY ROOKIE WHO GETS ALOT OF PENALTIES….

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

4. HalifaxHabs says:

LOL @ Observer… I had to post this here because there are no reply comments left after his ridiculous statements.

I love that you are now in agreement with Recchi about Pacthes.

Also you keep riding on Bob Gainey for all his terrible drafts and moves… GUESS WHAT BUDDY, HE DRAFTED CAREY PRICE AND PK SUBBAN, after several GM’s took a pass on them.

You love revisionist history and talking about people we didn’t draft, or people we traded who are putting up points now…. how about you stop acting like CBC, and give some credit where credit is due.

Keep hatin Hamrlik, he’s only leading this team in ice time for D-men, and we are going in the playoffs again, while your Leafs, and all their 30 goal scorers, and great young defenseman, are on the outside looking in again.

BOOM, EAT IT.

• joeybarrie says:

Observer has actually finally gone off the deep end. To say that Hamr and Spacek (who are our LEADING plus minus D-men) are not worth it, despite Hamr being our top D-man with Markov out and Spacek leading our D in +- last season too…
      To say Recchi was 100% right is obviously pathetically instigating and shows exactly what he knows about hockey… Which is to say he knows about as much as the loaf of bread Gainey bakes….
      I understand where the hatred comes from. The Habs are successful and the Leafs are out of the playoffs AGAIN… Like a bad record, same thing over and over and over….
      But to expect clueless trolls to give credit, is futile.
      Whats funny to me is the look at the players we let go and the points they are getting. Do people not realize ALOT of players get traded or sign somewhere else…. And that these players SCORE and GET ASSISTS elsewhere too…
      What is frustrating is things like ‘Obyrne is a great defenceman and JM couldnt handle him in Montreal, now he is a plus 117 in ten games’ Yet say NOTHING when the same player goes cold and ends up going -15 in 15 or so games… NOTHING when SK had 1 point in 12 games, but as soon as he scores again…. HERE IT COMES.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• habsnyc says:

In Gainey’s first season with the team 03-04, they ended 41-30-7-4 for 93 points, 208 goals scored, 192 allowed. This season with two games remaining they are 43-30-7 for 93 points 210 goals scored, 205 allowed. The three extra wins this season were in the shootout which did not exist in 2003-04.

It doesn’t matter who they drafted, signed, traded, bent, folded or spindled, they have not improved. I remember 03-04 as an undersized, scoring challenged team with clutch goaltending. In my opinion, it would be hard for anyone to characterize the 010-11 team differently. Without drafting many hall of fame caliber players, it is not easy to sustainably rise out of the pack in professional hockey.

So is the Calgary crowd planning on any game watching experience next week?

6. rocketsglare says:

Congratulations to the Canadiens for making the playoffs. You have to
    salute the players for reaching this milestone given everything that has
    happened to the roster all season long. I have to tip my hat to JM for
    an incredible coaching effort. Lets enjoy this moment and ponder the
    endless possibilities of being in the playoffs.

7. JD_ says:

Could someone settle this…

Given the absence of accurate record-keepin’ back in the day, a friend and I are unable to agree on when the sadsack Mopey Loafs last made it through to the playoffs; I’m sayin’ it was the 1819-20 season and he insists it’s 1654-55.

For the record, these are both A.D.

Anyone have the lowdown?

• HalifaxHabs says:

your both wrong, they last made the playoffs in 1910-11.

• DD says:

I’d bow to ‘Tony the Observer’ superior hockey knowledge on this one.

Tony is a guy who never bends the truth, has a keen grip on reality, doesn’t have a hidden agenda, and seems to know everything that is ‘leaf’. In fact, I think Tony really is Brian Burke, only in drag.

• WindsorHab-10 says:

I believe you are both in the ballpark.

• punkster says:

Performed a bit of research using google then headed down over to St Joe’s (just up the street from me) to see what the dusty archives reveal. Friend of mine runs the secret sub basement library there that holds many of the various religious artifacts and weighty tomes of previous ages.

Seems there’s a bit of a controversy in this regard. The NHL claims on their web site that the Loafs last made a playoff appearance in the 2003-4 season losing in the semis to the Flyers. However my trip to the archives has turned up quite a different story. Seems there’s this strange connection between the Loafs and the Illuminati in that an ongoing media campaign stretching across hundreds of years has kept the idea alive that those same Loafs are in fact a viable hockey organization. Something to do with a pact of everlasting life originally made between one Harold Ballard and a shady hooker known as Lucy Fur back around 1051 AD.

Things get a bit muddled after that but the books I read clearly identify 1050 AD as the last time the Laffs made it to the playoffs. Looks to me like the Illuminati are not ones to be taken lightly, somewhat like the present day Flyers.

Hope that helps.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• HardHabits says:

The time period you are referring to is the Age of Miracles.

• joeybarrie says:

HUH? is this about a different league? I can’t imagine the Leafs EVER making the playoffs. Maybe something was said in the dead sea scrolls about it. But I asked my dad, no one can ever remember them playing post regular season hockey… EVEN THATS DEBATABLE…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• drivefor25 says:

Don’t forget their fabulous Cup-winnin’ year of 485 AD when they beat back the Barbarians at the Gates. There’s a cave painting of their Cup celebration somewhere….

Fan since ’71

8. mrhabby says:

To bad we could not see these type of games more often but nothing you can do about it.
    i really enjoyed the intensity of the game, skating and nice plays, crisp, solid passes and some great individual performances by players on both sides.Chicago is an excellent team (missing a few pieces) but we had the gods on our side and some magic going on.
    What can you say about Price. I always thought he had the makeup to be an excellent keeper going back to his days in JR and Hamilton. A quiet, solid and intense young man who will mature as he gets learns his craft, i just was not sure he could handle the pressure cooker of MTL. I was hoping back in September he would be the team MVP when the season started.
    There are many fine players in the league but i can’t think of one player who means more to his team than price…surely if he had a so/so year we would not be in the playoffs its that simple for me.

Cherry is not even man enough to apologise and show some respect to P.K., who he said that somebody was going to get on the ice.
    P.K. is so talented, and so much faster than Cherry can even think.

Got any balls Cherry! lets hear you spew your crap now.!!

• Timo says:

He can think?

• habsindepth says:

Don’t hold your breath Ian, it won’t happen. Cherry wont’ apologize, though perhaps he will sing his praise some times soon and we could consider that as an apology.

It’ll be interesting to hear his thoughts on Saturday when the Laughs face the Habs, lets see what he says about Subban and the laughs elimination for the umpteenth time.

===================================
      Web: http://www.habsindepth.com – For the Fanatics
      Twitter: @habsindepth
      Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/hidpage

• VancouverHab says:

It’s not that simple, Ian.

Hate Don Cherry if you like — and he earns his salary by the dialectical counter-energy that he gives to Hab fans — but he could plausibly claim credit in this regard.

Cherry said to P.K. exactly what he said in earlier days to Crosby: that is, shut up chirping after the whistle, and stop the slew-footing, and let your natural talent shine. It’s better to focus your rookie energies on improving you own game. The risk of not doing so is retaliation from other players.

That is just plain wisdom: and we know for a fact that JM, Hal Gill and Scott Gomez (just to name three) on his own team gave P.K. the very same message loud and clear.

And here’s P.K. himself today saying exactly that — after his hot-dogging behind his own blue line in a crucial and tight game caused him to be stripped of the puck requiring him to hook the man and cost his team a bad penalty:

“”I’m a rookie and I’m still learning,” he said. “I look at tonight and I took two penalties that could have cost our team the game. Nobody talks about those; they just talk about the goal. Those are things I have to take out of my game.”

I’m not saying this is the only position to take, but yours is way WAY too simple a reading of it.

• There’s some revisionist history and spin.

• HardHabits says:

I see a lot of good things about PK Subban there. Not much good about Don Cherry though. Regardless of how you spin it VH, Cherry looks like a moron.

• VancouverHab says:

Well, I’m the “Don Cherry Mythbuster.”

No advocacy of Don Cherry, but evidence-based rebuttal of falsehoods against him (debunking, that is, claims that Don Cherry said things that he did in fact not say, and claims that Don Cherry did not say things that he did say.

Call it a quaint belief that truth is more important than hatred.

10. habsindepth says:

oh and I forgot to say this before…
    EXCELLENT VIDEO!!!!

Thanks for posting this gem here guys.

===================================
    Web: http://www.habsindepth.com – For the Fanatics
    Twitter: @habsindepth
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/hidpage

11. observer says:

gauthier had better find a way to land the other subban. pollock would have.

• forskis says:

I agree that they should try to get Malcolm (I think) who is projected to be even better than elder PK…but would you use a 1st-round pick to get him?

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

• samTHEman says:

jordan is the defenseman. malcom is a goalie and a lot younger

• observer says:

from what ive read by fans there, the goalie is a project at best. but jordan is very similar in athletic ability to his brother. and as pk subban matures it sounds like jordan even more so will be one of the top draft picks in his NHL draft year?

• samTHEman says:

we’ll see. i hear jordan is only 15 right now and will be drafted into the OHL this year or next.

12. Habitroll says:

Hey Cherry..How do you like him now?

13. habsindepth says:

This kid with a bit of experience under his belt will be a HUGE star in this league. Sure he gets plenty of penalties now, but that’s probably because he is constantly under the scrutiny of the referees. There’s no question asked, he has the flair, he has the talent and he has the will and desire to excel and learn!

Watch out NHL, we have our next big star.

His camaraderie with Carey is commendable. Let’s not forget, we definitely have the next Brodeur or Roy, whoever you want to compare Carey with, but Carey is definitely in a league apart from the crop of the goaltenders out there in the NHL right now.

Last game may be a sign of things to come in the playoffs. The Habs, if they play the way they played tonight, can beat anybody. Yes, we may have some problems against the more physical teams but I think we won’t be a pushover either.

HiD Game Review is up: “No Last Game Nailbiter in Hogtown” – http://bit.ly/f8jIuh

===================================
    Web: http://www.habsindepth.com – For the Fanatics
    Twitter: @habsindepth
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/hidpage

I can’t wait to see him in 2-3 years. Not that he loses his enthusiasm but some of the youthful exuberance that goes with it, this being his rookie year and that he’s not yet 22 years old and all.

As the years go by and he gains more NHL experience, along with a few more pounds and maturity, his game will only get better, which is scary. Once PK gets over the excitement of his 1st year in the pros he’ll be able to focus on the finer points of being an elite defense man.

The mental game is the most important and as much as I might bemoan it at times in this analysis it bodes well that the Habs have a, dare I say, more traditionalist approach and still do rein PK in rather than let him loose.

15. notbigbird says:

Forgive me for my lack of respect, but I’ve been around a long time, and I am wondering if PK might be the most athletic D-man I’ve ever seen. Any other older timers have any thoughts about this? Note: I didn’t say best (not yet anyway) just the most athletic. Also, I just said wondering. :)

16. Malreg says:

Somebody was asking for a link to this earlier:

Coach’s Corner from the opening night of the season. All in 1 video you have Cherry saying the Leafs WILL make the playoffs, their PK will be way better(they are 27th in the league atm), Versteeg was a steal and Chicago will regret trading him(such a steal that Toronto traded him a few months later…), and that the Habs should have kept Halak instead of Price, and that Price would NEVER be a good goaltender in Montreal.

17. fbkj says:

pants buzzed

auld to start against sens

spacek back

• Mark C says:

Great news about getting Spacek back. I know he takes a lot of heat from many around here, but while he seems to have lost his shot since leaving Buffalo, he is a very good defensive player who can move the puck than any D-man not named Subban and nicknamed The Wiz.

With Auld going tomorrow it must mean Price will play on Saturday night. Wouldn’t want Price going a full week without live game action, right?

• observer says:

spacek was playing garbage before he got hurt. probably will be even worse now. notice how his injury was never announced in detail like pacioretty’s was by gauthier to try to convince campbell to suspend him.

recchi was 100% right.

and these sports pencil pushing writers – the lot of them are now prudes and moralists and they all know how OTHERS must behave and talk! whatta joke!

• HabFanSince72 says:

Now you’re just trolling.

• observer says:

no, stating the truth. i dont give a damn if prudes dont like players morals of celebrating or whatever they want to do or talk about anything they want. how about follow these sports writers lives and howw they mistreat neighbours, family, women, etc, etc, etc — oh no they are holier than thou with their simpleminded group think. like airhead fans of teams also are. besides the hypocrites they all are.

spacek and hamrlck are too slow. too overpaid by g/g too. habs yesterday were completely dominated the last half of the game, they will not win a series with any of the top 4 teams playing that way.

• G-Man says:

DO NOT FEED THE TROLL. IT WILL LOSE INTEREST AND GO AWAY.

• fbkj says:

guathier didnt announce the extent of paches injuries till after the non-suspension was handed out

recchi was %100 trying to set a tone for the game, facts be damned, the fact you agree with him being wrong is comical

• Gorges_the_great says:

Dude. Give it a rest about the announcing injuries thing. It’s obvious that teams don’t announce specifics on an injury when it’s not clear to everyone what the injury is. There’s no point hiding an injury when it’s obvious what the injury is! That’s why the Habs announced Pacioretty’s concussion, same way the Bruins announced Savard’s concussion within an hour after the game when he got hit by Cooke.

• punkster says:

I have toilet paper that wipes more facts in a single square than you spew in an entire week on here.
          ***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Mark C says:

I think I’ll go buy some stock in Reynolds, thanks for the tip.

• Mad Habber says:

Didn’t Recchi re-nag on those comments, saying he wanted to take the heat off of Chara?

• shiram says:

Great, Price can use a night off, even if he played awesome last night. And Auld needs some game in case we need him in the playoffs.
      As for Spacek I am glad he is back, and can get 2 games under his belt before the playoffs.

• Jordio-oh says:

I’m going to that game in Ottawa. On one hand, i’m disappointed i don’t get to see Carey play. On the other hand, i’ve seen him live many times and now that he’s riding the bench, I’m hoping I get a chance to yell encouragement at him because my buddy got us tickets right behind/beside the Habs bench.

I’m going to see if Carey wants to chug a beer with me.

18. king ddd says:

just for fun: what would happen if sid wanted to play for the habs(boyhood team) when hes free agent! sid-pk. carey fantastic 3

** Buck Fruins **

19. Thomas says:

Cherry is an ass. He did that same forget-the-name shtick with Pacioretty. Its just pitiful now.

Did anyonce catch the highlights on sportscentre this morning!!?? It was hilarious, Price was saying how they were skating towards each other excited, “then I buried him” hahaha. I woke up my gf I was laughing so hard, gotta love these guys!!

20. Fansincebirth says:

So, I’m wearing my PK Subban T-shirt today and two guys commented to me in the hall “F**king Subban, gimme a break, he’s a hot dog. Habs are only 4 games away from the golf course”

They’re both Ottawa fans…I smiled

Welcome to the new NHL – NASCAR on Ice

21. PeterD says:

Love the video and love the kid.
    Hey Don Cherry…his name is P.K. Subban…practice saying it anad remember it…he will be here a long time after you are gone.
    And he deserves YOUR respect.

22. Fairfax says:

Didn’t it feel incredibly appropriate that we clinched a playoff spot thanks to our two young guns, Subban and Price?

I think we simply got too many guys out injured to make much noise in the playoffs, but with those two guys as the pillars of our franchise for the next decade… all Habs fans should have big smiles today.

23. HalifaxHabs says:

why does it say 100 comments, yet we can only see 1 comment?

24. @cmrose16… BRILLIANT package. Brilliant.

25. mdp2011 says:

Can anyone think of a rookie on the Habs in the last 30 years (excluding goalies) that has had this kind of impact all season long? The only guy I could think of is Chelios.

• habsfan0 says:

I don’t understand how PK was taken as low as he was in the draft. At 21, he’s a budding superstar playing for the team he idolized growing up.

26. gK_HabsFan says:

Gotta admit, that when the four players skated to the faceoff circle for the powerplay in overtime, I, like many other Habs fans were thinking… really?

I would have never thought that JM would put out Cammy, AK, PK and WIZ on the PP without at least Pleks or Gomez… Credit given where it is due!

Props to JM for pulling it off

-GK-

• avatar_58 says:

Actually I was so glad they got the point I was saying “PK will get it…” to myself. I did not expect to be right

• gK_HabsFan says:

yeah… for sure!

But i was surprised to see only two forwards!
        In the past, usually on 4 on 3 PP we see 3 forwards and one D (WIZ)

What was even more surprising was seeing AK and CAMMY as the 2 forwards on PP, as opposed to having pleks or gomez…. just saying

-GK-

Subban needs to bulk up though. Price destroyed him on that hit :)

28. Bradlo says:

This might have been posted earlier, but check out Turco betting with a Habs fan through the glass last night. Absolutely HILARIOUS

Best part is that he wrote ‘Turco rules’, and not ‘Hawks rule’

29. WindsorHab-10 says:

To all people that hated on P.K.Subban (Don Cherry, Mike Millbury, Mike Bitchards, Joffrey Lupul & so on). Kiss his black ass and go straight to” H E DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS”.

30. Habscore says:

Guys, haven’t written here in such a long time..how do I put my pic back on my profile, please?

……………………………………………………………….

YES HABS CAN!!

Aaaaaah! I just love waking up the morning after clinching the playoffs spot.

32. Mr.Hazard says:

It’s all over Facebook this vid! Unfortunately it’s already out of date, missing his most recent highlight reel stuff!

33. Yes, P.K. is that good. He’s got style and moxy and that is something this team needs badly no matter what competing teams say about him. Yes, let him get under their skin, let a Ryan White protect his back and that will keep our opponents off kilter. Think of the fun this team will have. Anyone headhunting PK should be ripped as we can’t afford for him to get injured. He’s maturing well too. Well spoken, complimentary and considerate of his team-mates. Hopefully Gauthier won’t trade him and will support him with our other young prospects. As for Martin, he should see the benefit to youth, excitement and the energy it brings up. Bench him again for celebrating like he did with Price and Martin should be heave hoed!
    More to come!

34. lemess says:

Don’t know if this was posted before, but here is Cherry ripping Price at the start of the season

The comments are pretty funny.

• avatar_58 says:

But but but…..Don is ALWAYS right! Didn’t he tell ya?

• DearyLeary says:

Gotta stroke Kadri’s ego, but PK’s the devil!

• HabFanSince72 says:

One of the comments requires a comment:

“2 Stanley cups with Orr, Esposito, Cashman, Bucyk, Park, Sanderson, Cheevers. Orr is probably the best hockey player that ever lived. You could of put a 17 year old kid behind the Bruins bench and won a cup.”

This highlights a common misconception: that Don Cherry coached the Bruins to the Stanley Cup. In fact he did not. Don Cherry coached the Bruins to 4 Stanley cup series losses against the Habs and then was fired by Harry Sinden. He went on to Colorado but was rapidly sacked for poor results. He never coached again.

Don Cherry never won the Stanley Cup, in any capacity.

35. Chuck says:

By the way, I also like seeing Subban and The Wiz on the point at the same time on the powerplay. Their defense doesn’t know which side the bomb is coming from.

36. Mattyleg says:

Pineapples are our Signpost!
    Ambition is our Turpitude!
    Grammar is our Downfall!

(stupid spam ads…)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

37. king ddd says:

History will be made: habs reach Stanley cup finals. game 7 and the return of markov. markov scores the OT winner assisted by maxpac and P.K. 25th stanley baby!

** Buck Fruins **

38. Mattyleg says:

Eric Engels’s copy editors asleep at the switch:
    “If there’s one thing we’ve known about P.K Subban since the day he entered into the Montreal Canadiens organization, it’s that he has a flare for the dramatic.”

A ‘flare’? So when he scores, he whips out his phosphorescent stick and waves it around to alert motorists to a breakdown? Shoots a ball of orange light into the sky to attract passing boats?

Or, a ‘flair’?

Who knows?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

39. ed lopaz says:

50 years from now, hockey fans will know and respect the name of PK Subban.

He is that good.

I would like the Habs to give him an “A” next season.

He is that good.

40. shiram says:

Great game last night, a very fun and exciting game! Love this kind of hockey. Alot of things seems to have fallen into place.

Pk and Wiz on the powerplay is one thing, and they prooved that it is a working combination.

The other is the line of Ak46/Pleks/Cammy, to me this line greatly defines our team offencivele, and they need to produce.
    Ak46 was great last night, and he should be appreciated for what he did, in setting up 2 goals and playing a great game. I was kinda annoyed that Pk went to Price after his goal, shunning AK46, but it’s not such a big deal.
    Huge 2 points.
    Does Price rest for the next 2 games?

41. smiler2729 says:

Boone shoulda titled it “Video: How Ya Like Me Now, Grapes?”

Any chance the Habs pick up Michael Leighton (again!) as Price’s backup for next season?

“My second favourite team is whoever plays the Leafs”

42. dasbooth says:

For those bashing TSN here is Mackenzie’s Tweet after the game:
    “MTL wins in OT with goal by PK. Great PPG goal. Great celebration too. MTL clinches PO spot. Great goalie battle. Subban terrific too”

Unfortunately you can’t blame them for posting Toronto news, they get the most hits when they do. It’s a business.

“Shutouts are really more of a team stat” – Carey Price

43. Nahlsy says:

My ONLY comment on the video… it should be edited to include this clip at the end of it ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLclgZBjDhc )

44. HabFanSince72 says:

Pittsburgh might pass Philly. They are one point back and both teams have two games left.

The Philthies play Buffalo and NYI, while the Pens play Atlanta and NYI.

Pens have more shootout wins however.

45. Malreg says:

If nobody else is going to do it, then the Habs need to claim Leighton off of re-entry from Philly.

He wouldn’t be able to play for us this year, but if hurts the Flyers then it’s worth it. Leighton would be a .8 mil cap hit off of re-entry, and would also be a cap hit for Philly next year. We can just place him in the minors, or he can replace Auld as the back-up next year.

Bobrovsky is starting to struggle to the point where people have no idea who their starting goalie will be in the playoffs. Bobrovsky+Boucher is better for us than Bobrovsky+Boucher+Leighton.

• Mark C says:

I agree, without looking at Montreal’s roster count or cap space, it makes a ton of sense to claim Leighton. Any number of team’s should also put in a claim based purely on strategic reasons alone.

• joeybarrie says:

If we claim him off waivers as he is brought up to the NHL, he probably has to go thru them again to go to the AHL…
      I think that a move like that is something that should not be done. It will create alot of animocity with other GM’s and I wouldn’t want someone to do that to us out of spite.
      Lastly what would that say about our goalie’s? Maybe that we do not have enough faith in Auld. Its a bad move all around. We are a much classier club than that.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• Malreg says:

If we do claim him, he is not allowed to play for us until next year, so it’s not saying anything about our goalies.

If we can hurt Philly, who we could meet in the 1st round, and hurt their cap for next year, at virtually zero risk to ourselves, then why not?

Philly shouldn’t have placed him in the minors a couple of months after signing him to a multi-year contract in the 1st place. I don’t think there would be any animosity, except with Philly, and we probably would never make a trade with them anyways.

• avatar_58 says:

SOMEONE has to do it. F philly, they deserve it

46. Mark C says:

Outstanding work by Bushkorn, Obversers role model: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5cPbzD7ZSw&feature=player_embedded

Edit: Might want to keep the volume on the low side.

• kempie says:

I absolutely love Buckshorn. His rants always leave me delightfully uncomfortable, debating myself whether it’s cool to laugh at him or not. I always do, of course, really very hard. But you’re right, this is some of his finest work.

47. NLhabsfan says:

I wouldn’t hate toronto so much if they went so heavily publicized as the GREAT team:)Every year its the same old same old. ” they had a chance …there gong to make it, only for this only for that” .And the games are so heavily biased it is enough to turn a dogs stomach.No wonder I watch RDS then listen to constant drivel on the other stations.

48. Mattyleg says:

3 Things:

1) Very happy with the way we played last night, but for all the people saying that they wished that we could see games like that more often: there are too many games in the schedule for the Habs to give a crap about them all. If we want to see good hockey, games need to be cut out of the schedule. They won’t be, so we’ll be seeing more of the same crummy non-games throughout the season.

b) TSN cater to their audience. The biggest Anglo audience in Canada is Toronto. There should be no surprise that they focus on the Loafs.

iii) Hooray. I ran around my small living-room fist-pumping and cheering in a whisper so as not to wake my 3-week-old who had FINALLY gone to sleep. The playoffs are going to be tough…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Propwash says:

LOL, Matty! I know exactly what you mean on trying to keep a 3 week old asleep. I yelled into a pillow.

• HabFanSince72 says:

TSN cater to their audience.

If you watch NFL broadcasts from the US, you’ll see that the commentators are impartial (and a lot smarter than our hockey commentators – all netwroks included).

The point isn’t that they cheer for the Leafs, it’s that they cheer for a team.

• Rudy says:

Groom them young Matty. Some of my best childhood memories are remembering listening to my parents in the basement during the 70s screaming and yelling watching the Habs play (while I had to be in bed and I was so mad, no highlights to watch back then!).

• Mattyleg says:

Yeah, if I had another room, I would definitely do that. But with baby asleep next to the sofa and an ‘open-plan’ kinda apartment, there’s nowhere to scream.

We’ll be moving soon, and I forsee plently of proper celebrations in the future!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

49. soperman says:

Wow, that gave me chills. PK you are da man. Don’t listen to the BS guy.

50. tony d says:

As Will Farrell/James Lipton from Inside the Actors Studio would say, “I’m going to make up a new word and say that video was ‘exsubbarent’.”

51. joshua94k says:

It was comedy hour on Toronto radio stations this morning…

Here are some of the reasons how Toronto could have made the play-offs :

If the season could have extened by 10 more games they would have passed some teams in the standings….
    Hahahahahahahaha

If Dion Phaneuf didn’t get injured early in the season …
    Hahahahahahaha

If Kessel didn’t go on a slump mid way….
    Hahahahahahaha

If the waffle guy didn’t distract the team…
    Hahahahahahaha

If Reimer started all the games since the all-star break….
    Hahahahahahaha

If Kaberle and Versteeg weren’t traded ………
    Hahahahahahaha

If Kadri wasn’t sent to the minors ….
    Hahahahahaha

The bottom line is you need to play 7 months of consistent hockey. Shame on CBC, TSN, SportsNet, Globe & Mail for being national media outlets and showing their bias for a team that clearly had no hope this season.

• DearyLeary says:

Complete agreement. Montreal might as well be back page news if you’re not living in Quebec.

There are nights where the Canadiens win big games that don’t even make the Toronto Star. When they lose? It’s plastered all over the news.

I live in the GTA, I listen to the Team 990, and I read the Gazette and other Quebecois news outlets over the internet when I want hockey news. I can’t deal with Toronto being the only team that matters, when they’re one of the least relevant teams in the entire league right now.

• huge_polar_bear says:

Same here, but I will finally be moving out of the GTA within the next 6 months. Can’t wait to be away from the Blue and White territory. It’s nauseating. I must say that I am surprised that my car has not been keyed as it’s decked out with Habs stuff…

52. mike g says:

TSN….

Gotta love how their homepage main story since last night has been how the Leafs are officially eliminated from the playoffs, instead of how the Habs beat the defending champs to secure their spot.

Hey dorks, the Leafs have been eliminated for a long time. Very long time. The biggger story last night was our huge win.

C’mon TSN, if you’re gonna be #1 in hockey cover it properly.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

53. JD_ says:

* Ok, ran through the numbers this mornin’. The Habs are now 100% likely to make the playoffs, givin’ me some modicum of measured confidence the team will make the playoffs, while the Loafs now have a 0% probability of makin’ the playoffs, suggestin’ they are unlikely to play any post-season hockey for the 68th consecutive year. So the math is written, so it shall be done.

* Unbelievably epic hockey game last night. Playoff-winnin’ goaltendin’ at both ends. Don’t expect, however, to frequently witness this kind of game; I mean, I can’t even recall one instance of sustained post-whistle bullshit. For better or for worse, there’s no gettin’ around the fact that last night’s game is the exception that proves the rule: The EC playoffs are gonna be a dog’s breakfast by comparison.

* How good was Carey Price? There were at least two, if not more, occasions last night where I slumped after a Chihawk play around Price, my mind already havin’ projected the puck into the net. The kinda moments where, after witnessin’ the same thing a thousand times, you absolutely know the puck is in before it’s in. Except for the fact that in each case, Carey somehow kept the puck out. Insane. At the risk of soundin’ a wee bit melodramatic, after one ridiculous flurry, I turned to my 15 year-old son and said, “At the risk of soundin’ a wee bit melodramatic, I’d swear I’m watchin’ Roy in the ’93 playoffs. Now, hurry up with that br00ski.”

* The discipline on the Habs’ backcheck was somethin’ to behold. Rare were the instances a third man wasn’t back on the Hawks’ transition, this despite an aggressive Habs’ offence. All hustle, from beginnin’ to end. Nice. And encouragin’.

* Last night’s game was the second in recent memory where Larry was alert enough with the puck to deftly avoid gettin’ absolutely pasted by someone who’d lined up the ostensibly naive and vulnerable young rookie, this time Troy Brouwer in full-flight. Troy-baby may as well have been wearin’ an effin’ cape. Larry’s just a skinny, wide-eyed, fresh-off-the-bus kid. He also strikes me as a bit wily beyond his years. He woke me up to that several months ago when he grabbed Danny Gruyere’s jabbin’ stick and tossed it out of the faceoff circle without breakin’ eye contact with the greasy-haired, Bambi-voiced weasel. A few trips to the weight room and a couple of seasons in the big leagues? For the life of me, I cannot understand McGuire’s misguided use of the term larceny when describin’ the Halak trade. It’s just gonna end up makin’ Pierre look st00pid, far as I’m concerned, and I usually enjoy his over-the-top and often humourously creepy antics.

* My only concern comin’ out of the game was the little melee between Price and Poindexter Bentley after the latter’s OT winner. It seemed to me PK was just lookin’ to give Price props for keepin’ the Habs alive – much as his counterpart at the other end of the ice had done – but Carey was havin’ none of it, perhaps envious of the fact that the Carey chants had been more than once drowned out by PK chants emanatin’ from fans more favourable to the rookie D-man. Slammed PK hard to the ice. For all I know, Gomer might even have had somethin’ to say, if not many, many others. Frankly, they’ll probably all get over this in a couple of years, but headin’ into the playoffs is not time for the room to come apart at the seams.

• HabFanSince72 says:

The headline on the Loaf blog (pensionplanpuppets) is

Math Sucks.

• Mike MacPhee says:

RE: It’s just gonna end up makin’ Pierre look stupid”
      Actually, Maguire looks stupid just about every time he opens his mouth. Eller’s skills only reinforce what we already know.

• punkster says:

You know, you may have touched on something interesting there JD. This whole Price destroying PK hit last night may well have been engineered by Gomez. Has he put a bounty on the kid?

Fact: he’s got oodles of cash to throw around.
      Fact: the look he gave PK in that game some months back after another OT goal by the kid.
      Fact: Gomez loves to be the centre of media attention and who’s been getting it all now?

I tell ya man I’ve seen weaker conspiracy theories on here before. This whole thing smells.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

54. DearyLeary says:

Aside from the production, the minutes, and the consistent play against other teams’ top players, PK brings something to this team that can’t be underestimated: an unbridled joy of the game.

More than anyone I think PK’s presence has helped Carey really embrace the pressure on this team. Without PK on the team Carey never smiled, he always looked like he was in a funk, and that pressure builds on a goaltender, especially in a cutthroat city like Montreal.

This year we’ve seen Price smiling, and even giggling during interviews. PK doesn’t just take the heat off a lot of players, but he loves it, he eats it up. He played a great game last night, not just the game winner.

He’s a strong competitor, our best skater (I say this with all confidence now), a good first pass, physical without being dangerous (open ice hits, doesn’t devastate people into the boards, you can’t tell me that’s disrespectful), his shot is absolutely devastating and he’s timing it a lot better and it’s getting through and on target.

Aside from youthful exuberance leading to some rookie mistakes, and a big mouth (but really, everyone talks smack on the ice, if you can’t handle some talk you need to grow up). I wouldn’t change a thing about PK.

• Mats Naslund says:

I am in total and utter agreement. Perhaps the best sign for Habs fans going forward is how much these two young players GENUINELY love playing together. You couldn’t have said it better – before PK, how often did you see Price smile? They both elevate each other.

After the game re the celebration: PK – “I’ll probably get in trouble for it but I was just so happy”.
      Price – “We were both so happy that we started skating at each other – I buried him”.

That is amazing. These two guys have made all the nay-sayers shut their traps over the course of the year and I love it.

• avatar_58 says:

Love that my two fav habs are buds :D

• JohnBellyful says:

Well put. Can’t stress enough how important it is to have someone on the team whose spirits remain high no matter the circumstance. It’s that kind of positive attitude that elevates the performance of the entire team. PK’s intangible is the real deal.

• Morenz7 says:

Joy? Fun? That’s not allowed!!
      — Mike Richards

• sp00k says:

Love them both, but are we not forgetting Max. Toss Mr. Pacioretty into the mix and I start to get very excited.

55. ZepFan2 says:

What a f-cking awesome video.

Hey Cherry, how you like him now?

————————————————————————
    Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Head-shots League.

56. nek25plus says:

TSNs definitely on the T.O side! Every old highlight they show of a goal is a goal that the other team scores on the Habs! Every time.

Don’t watch them anymore, only RDS. At least RDS is able to admit when we are good and when we are not. Plus, they are always complimentary to other teams, when they are deserving.

CBC needs to retire Cherry. He is making a fool out of himself and the station now more than ever before. They need to do the right thing and move him off.

57. Hobie Hansen says:

I’ve always been a huge Don Cherry supporter up until this season. As much as a lot of people hate to admit, he has a great sense for the game and the majority of players do look up to him.

In years past, he has featured Habs on his Rock’em Sock’em videos and given enough friendly complements towards our players to keep me from jumping all over him.

This year however, with his comments about Subban and his entire handling over the Pacioretty incident, he’s completely lost his marbles.

I’ve also stuck up for TSN as a whole but now realize that half the producers there are total Toronto fans. The Leafs were pretty much dead in the water as of a week ago and instead of focusing on the Canacks and Habs, they’ve been acting as if the leafs are the most compelling story. Give me a break.

It’s cool that TSN is offering viewers in the Habs region a package of games but the majority of people managing their web content and Sportscentre are obvious Toronto fans.

58. novahab says:

The most exciting player in the NHL since Gut Lafleur and the cheap shoy artist like Marchand and Richards have made threats against this kid. Chara commits a crime against Max and where is the league in all this. Don Cherry has puts a hit out with his words and again where is the CBC on this. Come on this is all about the Habs having a star. The Leafs have, want a bes and the the Bruins, Caps and Flyers just want to hurt omeone and the NHL allows it. We will ned someone in the playoffs to allow this kid to shine and to protect his back. JM I know you don’t want to carry such a guy but if you don’t PK will get hurt.

59. Julie H says:

For anyone who wants to go to a playoff game in Montreal: tickets go on sale at 2pm Eastern Standard time. The waiting room is open before that, so I advise being on montrealcanadiens.com around 1, maybe even 12:30. Good luck everyone! Go Habs Go!

♪Your cares and troubles are gone. There’ll be no more from now on. From now on happy days are here again, the skies above are so clear again. So let’s sing a song of cheer again. Happy times, happy nights, happy days are here again♪

60. Chuck says:

Kind of dismayed that Price was so easily able to knock Subban on his ass. Perhaps Carey’s playing the wrong position.

I kid. Subban drips an awesome combination of skill and youthful exuberance. He may never score 50, but he’s got ‘star’ written all over him. He’s also re-introduced something to the game that’s been all but forgotten by many NHLers: the hip check. If Subban’s isn’t the purest of that form in the league, then I don’t know who does it better.

At the bar last night watching the game, a Caps fan next to me claimed that Subban was a head case to the point where even his own teammates don’t want to play with him. I submit video of last night’s game as evidence to the contrary. And when Subban scored the winner, down at the far end of the rink we saw a rare display of unbridled joy from Carey; not only for the win, but also for the success of his close friend.

It’s been said that Price and Subban are the future of this franchise. Don’t kid yourselves… they are the present.

61. joshua94k says:

Flashback to a couple of years ago. The Canadiens announce P.K . Subban as their draft pick. The young man apporaches the Canadiens table and while putting on the famed Habs jersey, he tells Bob Gainey, “You will not regret this decision”.

Canadiens supporters have never regretted one of their best draft picks. This young man is a rare find. He plays the game so well at both ends. Now his offensive game is on fire.

Lecavalier, Richards, Toews, Stamkos, Crosby, Ovechkin, the likst goes on. They find it hard to believe that a first year player can play so well. They resort to play the media against him to get him off his game but it hasn’t worked.

Subban deserves the Calder trophy. He leads the NHL rookie defensemen in points while playing against the other teams best forwards. He has played bulk minutes (close to half a game) with a team that has lost its top two defensemen. He has helped his team win a play-off spot which some rookies have failed to do. He also plays in the most pressure filled environment.

• Habs fan in Sens land says:

One of my favourite PK moments came a little bit after he was drafted, when he was sitting at a press conference. One of the reporters asked Subban what PK stood for. PK replied “It stands for Penalty Kill, or course” or something along those lines… Priceless, and as it turns out, quite possibly true as well!

62. HalifaxHabs says:

It’s funny, Cherry loves to go on about he was right, and he always shows old clips of him making predictions that come true… well why doesn’t Ron show some clips of him bashing PK, and saying that Price will fail in Montreal, and see his reaction??

oh wait, I know why, because Ron MacLean is absolutely spineless when it comes to Cherry, and CBC is a total joke when it comes to hockey unbiased coverage.

Eliminating Boston this year will be among the most satisfying sports accomplishments I ever witnessed.

I CAN’T F%$KING WAIT!!!!

63. Hobie Hansen says:

I think the Habs can let big old Hal Gill walk over the summer because PK doesn’t need a big brother anymore!!!

64. CanadienBoy says:

PK bring some much needed mojo and Ellers skating was just amazing last night

65. HabFanSince72 says:

“WHatever his name is” is a Don Cherry favourite. He uses it on Habs and on any European player. Remember how he even managed to mispronounce Halak?

It’s very passive-aggressive.

He’s just a very bitchy old queen.

• Dostoevsky says:

He’s a racist, red neck old man with a government paycheque that we supply. It’s fun to have the hockey controversy and colourful commentary on HNC but I don’t appreciate our national broadcaster giving airtime to a closetted warmongering racist in a clown outfit. Reel him in to focus on hockey or set him loose.

If Subban was a white player there would be no talk of “disrespect.” A white Subban would be referred to as, “A good Canadian lad, tough in the corners, not afraid to drop em, plays hurt, sacrifices the body…” and all the other garbage that Cherry and the equally xenophobic boneheads on TSN love to throw around.

Tell me former Soviet Block players like Hamrlik and Spacek aren’t tough as nails compared to upper middle class silver spoon sucking Canadians like Richards and Crosby.

Intelligence, finesse, creativity and talent versus brutality, violence, money and a knuckle-dragger’s version of masculinity.

66. Top Corner says:

AWESOME !!! Iam soo glad somebody took the time to make this video. Very well done !

The cherry/richards/marchand comments were hilarious !!

Very, very well done !!!

67. Bill H says:

Habs rookies 2010-2011
    PK Subban
    David Desharnais
    Max Pacioretty
    Lars Eller

What a year they have had. They will all improve next year. With Markov and Gorges back next year, this team will be on fire.

Also rookies deserving of honorable mention:
    Ryan White
    Yannick Weber

68. StevieRay says:

Lovin’ this PK ..Carey .. mojo thing they have goin’
    The kids are alright !!
    thks cmrose16..great video..great tune !

69. Thomas Le Fan says:

P.K. !!! Eat it haters.

70. Habfan29 says:

Bigger and better things to come from PK, let the haters hate as they would do anything to have a PK on their team. I am going to enjoy every minute of watching PK….

71. Bill H says:

14 goals in his rookie season, the most for the team by a rookie dman since Guy Lapointe, I think I heard. 7 goals in 9 games going down the home stretch on an offensively challenged team fighting for its spot in the playoffs. He brings great speed, an amazing shot from the point, character and a strong presence in the locker room. He’s not oversized, but his game has a good physical edge to it. He can get under the skin of opponents and isn’t afraid to drop the gloves on occasion. All this in his rookie year. Bob Gainey hit a home run when he drafted PK in the second round. I loved the video compilation. Grapes is a tired old douche in a clown suit.

72. 21BIGGionta says:

badass

73. filincal says:

HE’S OURS!!!

I BLEED BLEU BLANC & ROUGE!