Updated with audio: How sick is he?

318237

Zdeno Chara has accompanied his Boston teammates to Montreal, but his participation in Game Three is uncertain.

And Claude Julien is not tipping his hand on a goaltending choice. There is speculation Tuukka Rask could get the call at the Bell Centre Monday night.

Here’s Julien audio of his media session Sunday in Boston before the team flew north

Jaro Spacek, Yannick Weber, Jeff Halpern, Paul Mara and Alex Auld took part in the Canadiens optional skate Sunday morning in Brossard.

There was a team meeting at noon, after which Jacques Martin said Andrei Kostitsyn’s condition will be re-evaluated on Monday.

Fans familiar with P.K. Subban’s loquaciousness in dealing with Montreal media will be amused by this terse post-game exchange with Darren Elliot of the Versus network. P.K. was giving him NOTHING that might end up on a board in the Boston room Monday night:

HNIC’s Glenn Healy on Lars Eller: “He’s DANISH! You buy that at a coffee shop”:

1. sidhu says:

Love that PK interview, though that clip only has part of it, it’s longer and PK is short, direct in those answers too. PK says that the team plays “whistle to whistle,” which tells me 1) they leave it all on the line during those times, and 2) they don’t get involved in any unnecessary b/s after the whistle.

I’m so impressed with the boys, and their focus. Eller is a competitor, he has moves, and doesn’t back down. He fits in well with the team.

GO HABS GO!

2. Dunboyne Mike says:

It’s been suggested below that not only Chara but other Bruins have been hit by some kind of bug.

For me that would help explain how limp good players like Lucic and Horton have looked so far. I mean, Pleks and co have done a great job smothering them, but have they alone shut down Boston’s top line completely?

Oh my has Kaberle sucked! (Although he’s in good company with Boychuk and Seidenberg).

And refs, please! You have to start calling the late, dirty hits on PK when the play is long gone.

3. J.J. of Turku says:

I Just hope Chara’s diarrhea continues as long as Max is out. Or maybe he’s afraid of dopingtests, cause everybody knows he’ll be playing at the World Cup -tournament in Slovakia…

4. HabFanSince72 says:

Chicago inserted goon John Scott in the game, hoping to have him be a “physical presence”.

Before the game Scott said: “I’ve beat up a couple of their guys. I think it’s in the back of their heads, hopefully. If I can get someone to go I’ll be happy to be oblige.”

During the game Scott’s inability to skate or puck-handle meant that he turned the powerplays into a 4 on 4. And he took a dumb penalty that led to a Canuck goal.

Goons are a dying breed, but why is it taking them so long to die?

5. Spartan117 says:

Hey Boone,

I have a suggestion for the site. How bout a “CHAT” box that appears from 30:00 mins pre-game till 30:00 mins after game…. that enables account users (ONLY) to chat on an open chat so that we arent constantly commenting and re-freshing (and being annoyed why it doesnt load fast enough).. and just enjoying live chat with so many people who love the habs at once. Maybe something that goes along with your during game blog, set up right next to it.

Let me know what u think!

6. habs001 says:

we should really do chara a big favour…this year the world hockey championships are in slovakia…so lets make sure he is on a plane friday (on a seat not in a box as some posters may like to say lol)

• SlovakHab says:

Abso-freakin-lutely!!
      The only jersey that I don’t despise Chara is Team Slovakia jersey.. Unfortunately, it’s the one he plays his worst in!
      Anyway, WC is coming soon and Team Canada will play in my hometown Kosice, just 10 minutes from my apartment!! (Steel Arena).
      Great that last year, I wasted 8 months of my life being unemployed in Kosice, having nothing to do. Now that I have some Johny Cash and a great job, I find myself living in Australia and Japan and will not see them play! Too bad.

Habs beating the Bruins would result in a lot of good stuff!

7. habs001 says:

for all the crap reffing we have taken i think the habs deserve a clear edge in pp opportunities vs the bruins…i know it will not happen as bruins will get called on 50% of their penalties and we will get called on 80% so the pp difference will be one either way at best or clearly in bostons advantage…every home team today had a clear advantage on pp chances thru the first 2 periods…

• icanskatebackwards says:

i don’t see it happening. I’ve come to the conclusion that the officials try to referee in a way that makes it seem like they aren’t altering the course of the match. When they gave the habs the PP in the first period that immediately lead to the second goal, the Bruins were getting away with mad cross checking for a whole two periods and then as soon as Hal Gill pushes a player out from in front of the net, it’s a penalty. No use complaining about it, it’s just the way it is. We just have to keep capitalising on the few PP we have and we’ll be fine. Unlucky for the Bruins, we happen to be top of the league on the PK.

• habs001 says:

in last nights games the home teams had a clear edge in penalties vs the visitors…washington received 5 minors in a row…hawks had 6 pp chances vs 1 for vancouver….nashville had 5 pp vs ducks 2…

8. habs001 says:

we had the 4th or 5th best home record while the bruins were in that category on the road…

Ok, so can we not contact members of HIO privately anymore? The old site allowed you to send an email without revealing the address. I don’t see that feature here.

10. icanskatebackwards says:

I believe that starting Tukka Rask would be a ridiculous idea. Tim Thomas is in no way responsible for any of the two losses. As a matter of fact, he nearly single handedly changed the course of the game with a clutch save against Pleky on a breakaway that was follow shortly after by the Bruins only goal. The Bruins had a spark for about 5 minutes after that before falling flat again. If the habs take a multigoal lead I could see Rask coming in as an act of desparation to try and change things up but I don’t see him starting.

The only reason for starting Tukka is to give Thomas a longer stick and asking him to go score some goals because his team can’t seem to produce anything.

• Trisomy 21 says:

I agree that Thomas isn’t at fault, but at this point they’re really looking for anything to help them. Maybe the team will play differently in front of a different goalie or maybe Rask will play stellar. Who knows, I’d rather they kept Thomas too, since we know we can beat him.

• icanskatebackwards says:

Good point. However, if you put in Rask and it doesn’t pay off, it seems to me that you’ve crossed the point of no return. Thus I would equate putting in Rask as a “last ditch effort” because I just don’t see Thomas coming back in after a weak goal or two and then turning the series around.

In that sense, it might not be worth the “rask”! Thanks, folks, I’m here all night.

11. habs001 says:

i cannot put my finger on it but something about pouliots build looks off and causes him issues on the ice…i dont know if his arms are too long but something.

• Timo says:

His oversized head.

• Jim Edson says:

I suspect vertigo as his balance is pathetic!

———————————————————————-

Who am I: Mohamar Ghadaffi or Gary Bettman.

• CHsam says:

No expert myself, but I think it has to do with lack of strength conditioning, PLUS I have a feeling he skates with a centre of gravity that is not low enough…if I can say that… It would be great if he worked really hard on overall strength AND maybe the coaching staff put together some kind of skating regimen… but again, I’m not sure if what I’m saying is accurate

12. habs001 says:

only change in the line up monday ak46 for weber if available…

13. habs001 says:

i think the boston d and goaltending looks vulnerable so i have no problems if we come out fired up and get a lot of chances early. i know when we have done this previously in games we usually could not finish our chances but boston looks ripe for the taking…in game two we pulled back too much after the lead but i guess it worked but i think attacking the boston d would work also

14. habs001 says:

what is the story behind p j stock being hired by the cbc? there must be a story as he sounds barely ready for a community cable broadcast .

15. zozotheclown says:

Speaking of sick, check out the first habs/bruins video TSN.ca has up, Lucic sounds pretty sick himself too, probably a cold/flu going around. Surprising for a team with so many doctors.

16. krob1000 says:

tsn has andrei has “doubtful”….there is “probable”,”questionable” and then “doubtful”….he was playing very well so I hope this isn’t an extended thing…

• Habtastic says:

JM hasn’t released much so the doubtful is reaching a bit. We should know by noon. It is puzzling how he had such a great game 1 after the injury, yet it has become aggravated. I would think only a bruise would account for this, but that’s manageable. Just get it to game 1 levels of comfort. If he does have something beyond a bruise and he still managed to dish out big hits…props. Gros bonhomme gettin love around here and deservedly so.

————–
      The Drive for 25

• krob1000 says:

i was thinking more of the swelling….I had to miss a week once after getting hit with a mens league shot in the ankle….it wasn’t 106 mph and I missed a week. Skating is intense pressure on the ankles and no matter how hard I tried (tried a few diff’t times) I just couldn’t do it….. now I didn’t have access to freezing capabliites but I am hoping for swelling and nothing more serious but I always get skeptical with the Habs…I bet they won’lt even tell poor andrei what’s wrong in case he tells his Mom who tells Sergei who tells Fisher who calls Chara lol

17. PrimeTime says:

Clear hit to the head on Seabrook….intentional or not Torres should be suspended.

“Extremism only serves one’s selfish desires”

18. SeriousFan09 says:

Stanley Cup hangover when your team was disassembled in the offseason… Blackhawks just about ran themselves into the ground making the playoffs this year and backed into on the final day. Parity league indeed, The Cap (and the lack of a working fax machine and a terrible Brian Campbell contract) has disassembled a team of world-beaters.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

• Greg says:

Yeah I hear ya. The ‘Hawks decided to go for broke last season cap-wise, and it cost them dearly this year. They’re clearly not the same team. Granted, they wanted their first Cup in 49 years, so who can blame them. On the other hand, it seems like breaking all the cap rules or loading up on deadline day to make one run at the Cup might not be the right way to do it. Building slowly through the draft, and respecting cap limits seems to be the way to go, like Detroit, Pittsburgh or Vancouver. These teams will be contenders every year, while teams like Chicago will take a while to rebuild their depth, and might struggle to find players like Byfuglien to round out their lineup.

• HardHabits says:

Stanley Cup hangover is bad enough without having the team gutted as it was. Rarely do teams have repeat presences in the Finals so having them out early is just speeding up the inevitable. Calling them Stanley Cup champions with the current line-up doesn’t seem very fair either.

• Greg says:

Yeah it’s rare, but if the team is put together well and managed carefully, it’s possible. Look at Pittsburgh and Detroit. Will either of them win this year? Probably not. If one of them does win, will anyone say “Holy Christ I CAN’T believe that just happened!”? Probably not.

• HardHabits says:

I was going to mention both Detroit and Pittsburgh. What is remarkable though is that they both repeated simultaneously splitting the two contests. That is rare too. I think the last one was Oilers-Islanders.

19. Da Hema says:

Chicago is in big trouble now….

20. Da Hema says:

Nurse: “Call Dr. Recchi, stat!”

Dr. Recchi: “Yes nurse, what is it?”

Nurse: “Zdeno Chara is very ill. We need a prognosis.”

Dr. Recchi diligently reviews the patient and its chart.

Dr. Recchi: “I am sorry nurse, but I am unable to provide a prognosis.”

Nurse: “But you are a world-renowned physician, Dr. Recchi!”

Dr. Recchi: “Damnit nurse. I’m a proctologist, not a veterinarian. This patient is a baboon!!”

Nurse: “Thank you Dr. Recchi. I will call the Boston Zoo immediately.”

21. SmartDog says:

Coupla thoughts on our situation:
    1. JULIEN. I thought Julien was okay as a coach when he was here but there was one thing I couldn’t stand about him and that’s how he loses it when he gets upset. He doesn’t look tough, he looks whiny. How can the team keep their composure when their coach is losing his? Pressure is supposed to make diamonds, not blubbering babies.
    2. PLEKS. Man I love having this guy on our team. Night after night of just doign his thing, pouncing on pucks, tormenting the other team’s guys with strong two-way play, and basically creating opportunities out of nothing. He could have 2-3 goals by now the way he’s played. I hope one goes in next game.
    3. PK. The man has ARRIVED. Smart, smart play to go with everything else. The kids is learning.
    4. ELLER. Gotta love this guy too. He’s getting better and better. He’s got a little mean streak inside there (like AK) but skill too. Love it!
    5. I could go on…. Sopel, Gill, Wiz, Gio.. all playing great.
    I predict Monday will be the “old” Bruins and may not go so well for us. Hopefully the boys (and Price) are ready and just as quick but I think the Bruins are going to bring out hte big guns.

• Habtastic says:

Ya, I’m kinda worried that the Bruins will have woken from their hibernation and will get it together. They ARE a good team. First goal will be huge huge huge if we get it again. You gotta wonder why they have had trouble this season at the Bell, but from what I remember of those games, we played a little more run and gun (with the crowd behind us) than we have the past two (which is perfect for a road game). Cammalleri needs to light it up like he has against Boston at home (Gio and him have obviously been finishing when it counts…just what we wished for).

As for Pleky – always my favourite. If anyone asked me (which they wouldn’t) who I model myself after, it would be number 14. We got the matchups. Let’s use em to perfection.

————–
      The Drive for 25

22. Propwash says:

Methinks the Hawks don’t stand a chance at getting past round 1.

23. A look at the Habs Future Status and what they have created…
    I like the Habs Future not that bad at all.

Habsnation is still standing.

24. Da Hema says:

Want to know what Adolf Hitler would say about the Leafs were he alive? Find out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dry6bqzZbFc&feature=related.

25. observer says:

Since I was not born in the Bronx in New York City like Gary Bettman was, in the city where the English language was invented, I do not understand what “upper body” and “lower body” injuries mean when his NHL uses these terms in a way no other sport does. And of course the meek Canadian sports media accepts whatever this midget thinks up.

What exactly is “lower body”? Is a toe – “lower body”? Where does the highest point of “lower body” meet the bottom of “upper body”? And how high up does “upper body” go? Is a cut face – “upper body”? Is a concussion of the brain in the head – “upper body”?

Please help explain it to me because I did not go to school in Brooklyn.

26. jakesahabsfan says:

What makes me mad is when the media CBC,TSN, RDS, most of the others all bash PK about the way he celebrates after a goal or what ever, they get on his case and say oh “he needs to mature” yea well I don’t won’t another player like you were PJ Stock. What about “the great 8″ do they harp on him and he is older. PK has style and is exciting to watch. He is not just a target from the other players but from the media also, and that pisses me off. Leave the man alone, most of us like him just the way he is not boring like the rest of you washouts and burnouts.

27. Da Hema says:

Hey. Am I the only one who thinks Carey Price is awesome?

28. Well Torres is looking for back to back suspensions.

29. twilighthours says:

Guys i definitely hate Healy as much as any of you. But I found the Danish comment hilarious. I don’t think he meant anything by it. PS – PK is so so good

30. HugeHabsFan says:

Cool little tidbit – Montreal Canadiens’ app is #3 and HIO app is #8 in the Free Apps (Sports) in the App Store. :o)

………..

“Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!”

I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

Cammalleri: “I almost feel bad for a guy who plays an NHL career without experiencing what it’s like to be a Montreal Canadien”.

31. Wayne says:

Chara, buddy ‘ol pal. Listen, you can still play tomorrow night. Just ask Marchand for a diaper, he carries extra for road games… but double up on them ’cause you’re kinda big and full of shit already.

32. LL says:

It’s funny after two glorious playoff wins how awesomely zen HIO is.

• HugeHabsFan says:

Jason is this a new one?

………..

“Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!”

I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

• JasonM says:

Yep, came up this week.

• HugeHabsFan says:

Wow! Sure is new. FABULOUS! I absolutely love Annakin Slayd. My kids will be thrilled to have this one now. We have their other two and they (we, lol) listen to them all the time. :o)

………..

“Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!”

I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

33. eyhp says:

How sick is he? Two words: WHO CARES? Won’t make any difference for tomorrow’s game.

34. thebigguy says:

After 2 or 3 games per series, I gotta give credit where credit is due. The refereeing up to this point has been nothing if not outstanding.

For the most part, games have had flow and the refs have let the players play. I think this is the first time all season long I have a good idea what a penalty is, and most importantly, isn’t.

• Bill says:

Hmm, it hasn’t been bad, but I still question about three or four non-calls on PK. Like, he got drilled from behind last night about ten minutes after Wizniewski was called on an iffy boarding call … also, Hnidy didn’t get an instigator after he went after the Wiz … I still don’t feel the officiating is particularly balanced.

Full Breezer 4 Life

35. novahab says:

Chara is not sick he’s still drunk. He been drinking good Canadian rye and chasing it with Buds since Saturday night. Thats ok Chara there is lots of the hair of the dog for you in Montreal. All bars in Montreal should have signs saying Chara drinks for free.

36. SeriousFan09 says:

If Luongo is going to sit that much inside his net, shoot from farther out and go for the side/corners Hawks, you’re not beating him close in.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

37. PrimeTime says:

To quote Price “Chill”. Who cares what anyone on CBC says or doesn’t say. Does everyone need a hug from CBC?? Cherry lives in the past, McLean is a horrible broadcast host who thinks he is an authority on any matter, the hired former players all express their own opinions (free speech, remember?), but the hired journalists like Friedman) do a decent job. It’s a public broadcaster that will never please all….name one public entity that does???

“Extremism only serves one’s selfish desires”

• Trisomy 21 says:

You said it better than I could Prime Time. I don’t think unbiased commentary gets any better than CBC or TSN to be honest. I’ve watched a lot of American hockey and it’s just brutal. If you are looking for a commentary that favours the habs, you have one in RDS, so if that’s what you need, problem solved.

• habsindepth says:

Cherry hasn’t really said anything bad so far against the Habs in this series. Not that it matters, but he has been very chilled himself. I mean at the end of the day, his comments about Carey Price being cool was an indirect praise for Price :) not that Don Cherry would ever praise the Habs directly!

Game Recap of the second game: http://bit.ly/ggfaD2
      ===================================
      Web: http://www.habsindepth.com – For the Fanatics
      Twitter: @habsindepth

• Bill says:

No, sorry, you’re wrong. It IS a public broadcaster. If it were a private company, I’d be more okay with it. But my tax dollars fund this nonsense and I don’t like it. They spend the regular season gobbling up tax money from across Canada and pandering entirely to the Greater Toronto Area. They are essentially an in-house Leaf supporting show.

Then the playoffs come and the Leafs aren’t there, so they shift to supporting Boston I guess. Cherry started off his segment with “Here’s the problem”, talking about the Habs’ lead. And the other parts of the show were no better.

No, I don’t need a hug. And I don’t care if PRIVATE broadcasters anywhere support specific teams: they have no mandate to serve anyone. RDS can support the Habs, and NESN can support the Bruins … why not? CBC is different, or at least it should be.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• PrimeTime says:

Yes they do have a mandate….increase revenue and to break even. Scott Morrison, former CBC Sports guru, said CBC Sports pays 100 Million to NHL for broadcast rights. When asked if they would pay more if Winnipeg and Quebec City teams were added, he replied not 1 penny. Asked if they would pay more if a 2nd team was added to in Toronto he said 50% more – 150 million. Private or Public, business is business and you market your product accordingly. Otherwise more of your tax dollars would be needed.

“Extremism only serves one’s selfish desires”

• Bill says:

Sorry, but “increase revenue” is not the mandate of the CBC. It’s not even their mission statement. They’re a publicly-funded entity founded on the purpose of serving the ENTIRE country. This is not TSN or RDS.

Do they WANT to increase revenue? Sure. But they don’t have the leeway to do this at the cost of shirking their responsibility to represent ALL Canadians. If HNIC were on CTV, you’d have a point, but it’s on CBC, and you clearly just don’t understand the difference.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• PrimeTime says:

I understand more than you know, Bill. Are you not also Public Servant….Teacher, I believe?? Yes the CBC is in the business to generate revenue….not profit but revenue to offset public funding.
            I personally don’t believe it should be in the sports broadcasting business but that’s another argument.

“Extremism only serves one’s selfish desires”

• Bill says:

@PrimeTime
            Yes, I’m a public servant … not sure what that has to do with it!

I apologize for the condescending tone of “you don’t understand the difference”, looks harsher in print than it sounded when I typed it.

But I think the CBC can be in the sports broadcasting game … they just have to be more objective about it, and not have Don Cherry on saying “I’m a Toronto fan”. And I do maintain that there is a difference in profit-motive between a Crown corporation like CBC and a private entity like CTV. But we can just disagree on that.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• PrimeTime says:

@Bill,
            I already stated and agree that CBC should be non-profit. If they want to be in the broadcast game and not dip more heavily into our tax dollars then they need to generate revenue. Their best source to do that is in advertising. Toronto gets the biggest bang for a corportions buck. In order to ensure you get that audience you pander to it. It sucks for the rest of Canada but is an economic reality. Hence my point, a Crown Corp shouldnot be involved in sports broadcasting…leave it to the private sector.

“Extremism only serves one’s selfish desires”

Is anyone else having a problem when going to EDIT a post??

39. HabsFanInVictoria says:

I guess breaking peoples necks makes you thirsty. Maybe he should crack open a Dasani every once in a while…

40. rob_c says:

Bit delayed of a post, but man does it feel good to leave Boston up 2 games to none! Not that I expected us to walk in their barn and take both games, but I can’t say I’m entirely surprised. Besides the 7-0 “no show” against Boston, this is a team that played its best hockey in games against many of the leagues “elite teams.” What I’m so happy with more then anything else is the fact that every player in the lineup is contributing to some extent. We could argue Pouliot isn’t contributing, but fact is he’s stayed out of the box, and hasn’t been on the ice during a Boston goal. If we can get that from a 4th liner I have no complaints. I’m no pouliot fan by any means, but I shake my head when I hear fans saying they’d play Weber over him. As good as Weber played, it was one game, I’m not entirely convinced. Some random thoughts about last nights game:

Pyatt, from his first shift looked like he had an extra gear, considering he’s our best skater already that says something. I previously bashed him as I didn’t see a reason in dressing him (doesn’t hit, isn’t big, and doesn’t score). I realize he’s a good defensive player and plays the PK, but as a fourth liner his role isn’t really a shut down guy. Again, its one game, but wow was I impressed.

Sopel, this guy did a 180. Like I was saying in a conversation to some buddies before the playoffs started, “I think you have to dress Sopel over Mara even though you can argue Mara has been the stronger Dman in the limited games either have played in MTL this season.” The guy was among the league leaders in shot blocks a year ago; knowing Martin’s system, and how important the role of shot blocking is, that in itself is enough reason to dress him. That said, the contribution from Sopel has surpassed any expectations I had.

I don’t know if anyone else noticed this, but I felt PK had a terrible 3rd period. I’m not sure if him being targeted had anything to do with that, or if the almost 20 minutes in the first 2 periods alone were the reason, but definitely something to watch for. PK has been phenomenal up to this point though, I’m sure it wont carry over to next game.

Gomez took 5 steps forward in game 1 and 2 back in game 2. He was alright, but points aside, he wasn’t nearly as sharp as game one. Not to mention the only goal (although a nice one) Boston scored this series may of been prevented had he stuck with his man Bergeron.

Price, Plekanec, White, Eller, Gill, Gionta, Darche… etc have all played excellent.

Work on the face-offs a bit, and we’re set. I don’t wanna jinx it but “Jesus Price” hasn’t allowed more than a goal in each of the last 5 games. All W’s I might add.

Man I hate Boston. We’re only half way there, but if we beat these clowns in my opinion at least this season is a success. Anything beyond that is gravy…..

• ffenliv says:

“I don’t wanna jinx it but “Jesus Price” hasn’t allowed more than a goal in each of the last 5 games. All W’s I might add.”

You jinxed it! :)

• LizardKing1967 says:

Basically agree with post. Definately agree that if we beat the Boons, that’s our season, and the rest is HISTORY!

Jim-out.

I BELIEVE!

• Da Hema says:

Nice post. Gomez, lamentably, returned to more familiar form in last night’s game.

I am not sure I agree about Subban playing a poor third. What specifically did you observe in his play that led to that judgment?

• rob_c says:

He was unable to clear the zone on 3 or 4 opportunities. They were all plays he usually makes. One really stuck out as Boston sustained almost a minute in Montreal’s zone because as direct result of a weak clearing attempt or pass (not sure what you wanna call it) ultimately leading to a couple decent scoring opportunities. I don’t want to ramble on about it, as like I said PK played phenomenal. I just felt that there was a drop off in his play. For all I know I’m the only one who picked up on this. Maybe I’m just over analyzing things. Either way PK played great overall.

• VancouverHab says:

“Familiar form” means “typical second line minutes against quality opposition lines”, then I agree. Given that we won a tough playoff game 3-1 in a tough building I’ll be assuming that this is the compliment that it should be.

Don’t apply counsel of pefection to Gomez: that whole line did its job.

• Da Hema says:

My comment about Gomez, upon review, is more harsh than it should have been. But I do believe Gomez was the one responsible for letting Bergeron score an easy goal.

41. habsindepth says:

the video with PK is hilarious! He kept it short and sweet.. knowing he was talking to the “enemy media”

It’s reflective of the way Habs have played in the series so far, nothing too fancy, just doing their jobs and no need to talk much, say much, dwell much into something.. walk away :)

GO HABS GO

Hamilton Bulldogs won game 2 and now lead the series 2-0: http://bit.ly/eHYTbG
    ===================================
    Web: http://www.habsindepth.com – For the Fanatics
    Twitter: @habsindepth

42. xchicksxwithxsticksx says:

He looked terrible last night! couldn’t blame him for not playing. He was probably content to just be in the bathroom all night.

43. Hamayoune says:

Someone was asking about cbc’s link for their analysis on Subban and his development in a previous thread. I couldn’t find the post anymore so I will just include it here: http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Sports/1221284063/ID=1885611242

44. Can’t wait to see Ruukka Task tomorrow!

45. Say Ash says:

Huh? The Danes are a race?

• Well black and hispanic aren’t races either, they’re ethnicities. So if you want to nitpick the word racism is ridiculous in of itself. However Danes are Scandinavian in ethnicity, an ethnicity that Cherry and the CBC has been attacking for decades. The point is that it’s bigoted and unacceptable.

• observer says:

Black is NOT a race? What planet were you born on?

Racism the way the word is used today means against any identifiable group that one may have been born into – ie: race, religion, language, sect of a religiion.

And probably from 90 to 99% of all wars were due to those reasons?

Question? If you like eating Danish pastry are you a racist?

• Propwash says:

Whut? O_O

• I was born on the planet where race is a scientific term and observer never knows what the hell he’s talking about.

And no, racism has nothing to do with religion, you’re making crap up.

Human RACE. There’s only one.

• thebigguy says:

He’s actually right. While people tend to use the broader term of descrimination to describe biases against any identifiable group, racism is certainly acceptable as its a far more charged term.

As far as the laws concerned in Canada, descrimination based on ethnicity, race, language, sex, gender orientation (being different than sex) or sexual orientation is illegal.

• No, he actually isn’t right. Racism as a word only applies to ethnicities. It is not a perfect synonym with prejudice or discrimination. Not all words neatly fit on top of each other, that’s why we have so many. Language is important and we don’t need people like observer dumbing it down further for everyone.

• Bill says:

You should just keep it simple when you’re talking to an idiot. He obviously understands neither language nor human politics. Just tell him it is definitely possible to be “racist” to either Scandanavians or Danes. Cherry’s history of demeaning Swedes is attached to this.

What really puzzled me was Healy’s implication that Danes should be soft. The Danes are descended from Vikings. Who is Healy descended from?

Full Breezer 4 Life

• @Bill Healy is scottish.

• TOEmastro says:

Of course you’ve heard as religion as a race. How many Jews do you know?

Olé, olé, olé oleé

• Bill says:

@Andrew Oh … so am I, so I guess I can’t second-guess Healy on that! Still, point is, Danes = tough!

Full Breezer 4 Life

• @Toemastro: Jewish is both an ethnicity and a religion. You can be ethnically jewish and not believe in the religion.

• punkster says:

Poppy, meet cock.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

This is one of the more ignorant posts I’ve read on here. As Andrew Berkshire stated below. Race is a scientific term. There is only one human race right now, and that is Homo Sapiens Sapiens.

• Old Bald Bird says:

Actually, I believe scientists will argue that there is no such thing as “races”.

• SeriousHabit says:

This actually is correct, the group of races was a Victorian era construct with no scientific basis. There is only one race human; sadly there is very little that differs us from Bruins fans even Don Cherry…

46. HugeHabsFan says:

I got a laugh out of PK’s interview as well. Posted it on my fb because I thought it was so funny. He’s always so friendly and chatty with the Canadian stations interviewing him – but very blunt apparently with the US, lol.

………..

“Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!”

I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

47. HabsFansince49 says:

I just sent this off to the CBC ombudsman. Don’t expect any serious reaction:
    NIC’s Glenn Healy on Lars Eller: “He’s DANISH! You buy that at a coffee shop”.

The CBC continues to allow blatant racism on its Sports programming. Everyone is aware of Don Cherry’s hatred of the French and Europeans not to mention a black person in Montreal who Cherry refuses to even pronounce his name.
    As shown above, Healy is no better. His reference to Dane Lars Eller is unacceptable. When does the CBC plan to deal with racism?

• HugeHabsFan says:

I couldn’t believe it when he said it. Unreal.

………..

“Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!”

I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

• Big Ted says:

I don’t think Healy is blatantly trying to be racist, but many folks at the CBC and around the league in general are very ignorant when it comes to dealing with players of different origins and race. Just look at the way Mike Richards handled the PK situation, when he’s never said anything to that nature about a good number of white players who have been in his face before. I don’t like Healy as a commentator, as I find him arrogant and brash, and that call about Eller just seems to suggest that he doesn’t think anyoen Danish could have any value in this league. It’s just plain and simply ignorant.

• Trisomy 21 says:

Brutal, Ted, you’re saying the Richards incident was based on race? I can’t decide if i should laugh or feel embarrassed for you. You have absolutely no grounds to say such a thing. I was annoyed by Richards too but I have to defend the guys cause I really do think with rivalry and such aside, he’s not a bad guy and a fantastic hockey player.

• Bill says:

I have to agree with Ted. There are lots of cocky players and even cocky rookies in the NHL. But Richards beaks off about just Subban being “disrespectful”? Why him?

I said it before and I’ll say it again, the word Richards was looking for is “uppity.”

Full Breezer 4 Life

• light_n_tasty says:

C’mon. Seriously? Do you think any Danes were offended by that comment?

• Trisomy 21 says:

That’s just coming across as being defensive of your hockey team. Don Cherry was joking about the “how do you say his name? PK? by the way.
      I agree that it was a ignorant comment to make, but I think they’ll file it under “upset Habs fan”

• Steven says:

Along with what Big Ted said, I think he was just trying to be funny by saying that. It was the most unfunny thing, and utterly careless and brash, but I don’t think he meant it in a racist fashion, even though it came out that way.

• Bill says:

It didn’t OFFEND me, per se, I just didn’t understand the idea that being Danish makes you some kind of pussy. Danes are tough.

Ok, what actually ticked me off about it was that it was YET ANOTHER anti-Habs comment on the CANADIAN broadcasting corporation.

Full Breezer 4 Life

48. TorontoHabsFan says:

I’m as pinko leftie as they come, and probably would be derided as a PC namby-pamby by many…but God help me, I found Healy’s “He’s DANISH!” line hilarious.

I came dangerously close to pulling a spittake – it was such an absurd thing to say!

When Glenn Healy made his DANISH comment on Lars Eller he should have noted that it took 5 Bruins to create that turnover.

50. Jdub1985 says:

quote of the day

“Can’t they replace Chara with a WWE wrestler or something? Those guys throw people into things all the time.” – ju6112

51. thebigguy says:

So everyone’s talking about how the Bruins had 2 more wins than us going into this series. I think we now have the same amount of wins.

52. phillyhab says:

The boys are playing great, how I think we all knew they could/hoped they would, but I gotta say I’ve been really impressed with Sopel.
    Like Hal Gill’s transformation last year from pylon to The Man, of all the players I’m most impressed with how he’s stepped in the post-season so far, and far beyong my expectations. When I look at the D-corps NOW – PK, Gill, Hamrlik, Wiz, Spacek, Sopel – I feel pretty damn good.

* * *
    Schadenfreude, a German word meaning “the pleasure one takes in the suffering of Torontonians.” -Boone

• Clay says:

I wouldn’t be too surprised – Sopel played on a cup-winning team last season.

__________________________
      The only interesting answers are those which destroy the questions. ~Susan Sontag

53. deuce6 says:

Glen Healy was also the guy that said the Leafs were not going to put up with any of PK Subban’s “Monkey Business” earlier in the year…I don’t think he is trying to be a bigot, but to be a professional, you really need to learn to think before you speak…

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

• observer says:

He was right! Do you see Subban aggravating them now?

• ZepFan2 says:

Don’t you mean, he was white?!

————————————————————————
        Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Head-shots League.

• Mad Habber says:

He is in the playoffs isn’t he? That ought to be aggravating for them.

• observer says:

No they are all out playing golf and watchinjg baseball now – he doesn’t bother them at all. But he will next season again, but even worse because they finally will be a playoff contender and games with Montreal finally what they once were years ago.

• topher5468 says:

Healy is such an ass. Did he say that on the National broadcast?. If so, there should be some repercussions.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

• HabsarebiggerthenJesus says:

I dont believe there was any racist intent there either. That being said, it would have been a non-issue hadn’t someone piped up and linked the comment to a racist mentality. Addressing it as racism only further creates definitions of it. Kind of confusing I know.

54. DearyLeary says:

PK’s selection in the 2nd round is making a lot of GM’s blush, also might be the reason everyone hates on him, they know he could have been theirs.

55. So has anyone heard from the NHL why Shane Hnidy didn’t get an instigator penalty last night? I’m still bewildered as to how we came out of that with a PK when Hnidy should have received a 2, 5 and 10 for jumping Wiz.

• habs001 says:

the bruins in the reg season were 27th in being short handed…if someone watched hockey for the first time and it was the last 2 games mont vs boston and told them this stat they would think that the teams 1-5 most penalized must have guns and chain saws..as mentioned earlier good that the rangers won but they did get 5 pp in a row…ant bets this will ever happen to the habs…at best we will have one more pp than boston in a game if that

• JasonM says:

Still waiting for that call from the hit from behind on PK a few minutes after Wiz got called for the same thing.

• topher5468 says:

Hey Andrew, ya know, i thought the same thing until I watched a replay, it kind of looked like Wiz and Hnidy were equal combatants, IMO. Hnidy did go towards Wiz but to me it loked like Wiz knew it was coming and went with it. But again Andrew, thats just my Opinion

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

• Clay says:

Agree totally Andrew…and topher, yes, it kind of played out like you described, however, Hnidey clearly went there just to fight, and Wiz did what he had to do to defend it, without hesitation.

__________________________

56. V says:

Good to see Rangers win for a variety of reasons.

As for those who cite the Carolina series as a sample of the Habs choking on a 2-0 lead, if Saku does not take the stick to the eye, I am confident we win that series.

We are in good shape. The team is playing well with a world-class netminder who has just had to be very good – he has not been called upon to steal a win yet and is capable of it if needed.

I suspect this Canadiens team is going to stay grounded and focused – I don’t think you will find much celebration until they win 14 more games.

Looking forward in watching Koivu’s game coming up now.!

Did Rangers win their game??
    Last I heard, it was 2 to 1 Rangers.?

58. subban gave an interview we are more familiar interview with between periods with Elliotte Friedman.

___________________________________________

Note the new digs! but yeah I’m still on Twitter!

59. thebigguy says:

So Habs fans, which have you enjoyed more? Pk Subban laughing about the Krecji hit on the bench or Price winking at Sopel after Sopel saved a goal?

Due to the history of winks in MTL, I vote the wink!

60. HabsalwaysCA says:

If the flu is starting its way around the Bruins dressing room and Chara is the first full on victim, then keeping him and his germs in close proximity to his teamates is a strategy I approve of.

The way the Bruins looked the last few nights, i would say a number of them are already somewhat compromised.

number 25 before 2015

61. HabsalwaysCA says:

number 25 before 2015

62. forskis says:

The theorist in me kind of thinks that the Chara illness is a morale ploy…he is sick enough to not play a game in the playoffs then comes back for Game #3 to lead the team – it would be a morale booster and they would come out firing on all cylinders.

Habs cannot lose Game #3…it is the turning point Game…they are going to have to be even more solid and tenacious than they were for Games #1 and #2.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

63. Highspeed969 says:

LOVED PK’s interview last night so much that I had to make it my signature
    “All Business” – PK Subban

64. Corio says:

I’ve noticed one important thing when watching the Bruins in the interviews after game 2 is that they have totally changed their tune from being cocky and taking shots at the Habs to showing respect for the Habs. Bruins have never in their history come back from a 2-0 deficit in a series. They have also not won in MTL this year and MTLs record at home is phenomenal with only 9 losses in like 26 games or something. If we keep up the work ethic that we saw n games 1 and 2 this series is ours.

65. tigress says:

Spammers-B-Gon…

Now, PK? He made me SO proud in how he gave nothing away. But he also epitomized what Cammy, Price and Gio have said in longer interviews. This isn’t over, and it isn’t a victory till the series is over. This is such a great time to be a Montrealer, even better time to be a Habs fan!

Healy? Can they not get that guy off the air? SHAME on CBC!

66. HabFanSince72 says:

«Ma seule déception c’est que nous n’avons pas joué à la hauteur de notre talent.” – Claude Julien

Hmm… The loss to Carolina two years ago (Carolina finsihed 20 pts behind the Bruins that year). The meltdown last year. They are playing up to scratch.

67. koivu11 says:

Glenn Healy’s comment was absolutely unprofessional and idiotic. I dont understand why CBC continues to allow this type of crap. Bunch of homers….its sickening. Why cant English Canada come up with an unbiased station with a group of intelligent experts, analysts and/or commentators who objectively critique a team without showing their favorite team’s colors.

Watching this series on CBC, you would think CBC is an american station covering Boston…there is no respect for the Habs. Dont get me started on PJ Stock…

• VancouverHab says:

Uhhmm…lighten up? This is pro sports, i.e. ENTERTAINMENT, not the U.N. …

• Da Hema says:

A fair point, but we do have many examples of commentators for US national broadcasts who can provide some comparative context. Troy Aikman, for example, is insightful and engaging–and he does it without stumping for the Dallas Cowboys or revealing a bias against once-bitter rivals. Even if I were a Toronto Maple Leaf or Boston Bruin fan, I would still find Glenn Healy despicable. The CBC is just a colonial, bush-league broadcaster.

• SeriousFan09 says:

And it’s poorly produced entertainment. PJ Stock, Mike Milbury and Glenn Healy have no business on a serious hockey broadcast, they’re 3rd-rate hockey minds on their good days, let alone their bad ones.

HNIC is a dying animal, an ego trip for Don Cherry and a bunch of old boys who don’t understand the modern game.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

• Da Hema says:

Cherry et al. on CBC are pathetic. Cherry assigns the blame for Boston losing all on Tim Thomas. When a team has only given up 2.5 goals over two games, and that team loses, it isn’t the goalie’s fault. Other commentators are alluding to Thomas’s rebounds, but no goalie could have trapped Eller’s splendid quick release shot that led to Weber’s rebound goal. The problem with the CBC, from the producers to the commentators, is they are seething over the performance first of the Leaves and now of the Bruins.

• barriesc says:

yup

barriesc

• I don’t think sports is a good medium to denigrate a person’s nationality.

• VancouverHab says:

Hmm…must be a regional or even generational thing? I grew up in England, and that kind of offhand remark was simply argot–even cheerfully friendly. Monty Python, for an example, or very much more viscious in the same vein.

One hears it on late night TV comedians today.

That doesn’t make it right, and perhaps I need to re-examine the matter in myself. But from my (and perhaps many others) point of view, there is a fair bit of the Puritan in the objectors. It’s worth thinking over on both sides.

• Jordio-oh says:

Tell that to Top Gear. (English television).

• Ian Cobb says:

I am surprised that Don the fool Cherry is not president of the CBC sports network.

The top fool with his other fools are quite a professional group of self centered drinking buddies. They are all pickled between the ears! that have never won a thing in their lives.!

• Habtastic says:

Both the Canucks/Hawks and SJ/LA series have great commentating. We get the douche crew when of ALL the teams these guys should NOT be covering, it’s the Habs. And sorry, CBC has touted itself as the Canadian station covering the Canucks and Habs, not the Hawks and Bruins. So at the very least, don’t have to cheer for us, but don’t give us the Bruins/Leafs (anti-Hab) crew.

Again CBC can put on a good show, but not our series. It was a sad day for comedy after that Danish comment. You are not witty, Glen. STOP. It’ll never happen, but I wish Ron would do colour commentary for a series. He’s an encyclopedia and aside from not correcting Cherry or calling him out, he is pretty unbiased.

————–
        The Drive for 25

• Trisomy 21 says:

I hope you’re not implying that French Canada has an unbiased station. I don’t find CBC entirely one sided, nor do I think that of TSN. There will always be commentators or panel members you’re not going to like. I get the feeling you aren’t pleased unless the commentary is decisively pro-Montreal. If Montreal isn’t picked to win a series because the stats are against them, you automatically think the entire network is anti-Habs. Well hear this. The whole world isn’t against the Habs.
      Just chill, you know. Relax

• phillyhab says:

The VERSUS coverage was interesting. It was very Boston-centric; “what’s wrong with Boston?”, more than “Habs doing things right”, at least until the 3rd where they started giving the Canadiens their due propers for playing ANOTHER near-perfect road game. It was the same when we giant-killed through the first two rounds last year.

* * *

• Healy made a equally dumb statement when discussing Chara on Hotstove. He said that with Chara out of the lineup. “the Canadiens are saying ‘hey we have a chance.’ ” My guess is Healy missed Game One of didn’t realized the Habs beat Boston four of six time this season.

___________________________________________

Note the new digs! but yeah I’m still on Twitter!

• thebigguy says:

It’s interesting, I was chatting with a friend who doesn’t speak a word of French during the game last night. He stil preferred watching the games on RDS because the sounds got him more emotionally involved. I honeslty don’t have a single friend who would rather watch the games on CBC VS RDS.

My favourite thing about RDS, they highlight mistakes being made. They’ll point out that a player went to make a big hit and put himself out of position. I just don’t hear that level of analysis from CBC the odd time I watch it.

• Gorges_the_great says:

You hit the nail on the head. No doubt that when it comes to wanting one team to win, RDS always favours the Habs. But when it comes to analysis, every player is wearing the same colour. Sometimes I find they over-criticize the Habs because we always expect only their best hockey from them. RDS is the perfect mix of biased cheerleading and unbiased (or at least as unbiased as possible) analysis.

• thebigguy says:

Joel Bouchard has really grown on me. When they first came on, it was cause they wanted a younger group of analysts and I didn’t think he was ready for the gig. He’s now my favourite analyst.

It speaks to the type of people RDS brings in to analyze vs CBC. RDS seems to prefer third line defensive players and ex francophone cup winning coaches. CBC gets 4th line goons and failed GMS. Who do you think is going to do a better job?

• Rush says:

Good post -

RDS hands-down – and not for the “Hab homerism”.

Having had been born and raised in Montreal in the 60′s and early ’70s – and thus weaned on the beauty of Danny Gallivan’s play-by-play – nothing proved more painful for me than those fleeting moments when I ended up having to watch a game on state-run TV in Toronto.

Tho I’m not bilingual, there is no choice – for me – but to watch the games on RDS [now that I live in Ottawa], as I wouldn’t think of listening to those amateurs on the public dole…

• mrhabby says:

way to serious there..it was all in good fun.

68. BKAK72 says:

I hope Julien sticks with Thomas. The Bell Ctr has never been kind to him and the pressure is mounting. Rask has that ability to surprise and the last thing we need is another Cam Ward scenario.

69. SeriousFan09 says:

Glenn Healy, proof you don’t need any qualifications to work for the CBC.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

70. Zaskar says:

Saw the interview with PK live and almost pissed myself laughing so hard. I think even the interviewer had trouble not laughing at how hard PK was trying to not be himself.

71. Propwash says:

Sounds to me that he’s running out of excuses

72. habsfansince91 says:

Out of curiosity, how long did it take you to make that bear?

73. deuce6 says:

That is a spam bot..Pay no attention..

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

74. Say Ash says:

yeah, but finally one with cute ascii art, at least

75. Jim Edson says:

Get this garbage off this site!

———————————————————————-

Who am I: Mohamar Ghadaffi or Gary Bettman.

76. Kristopher7 says:

Fix this, it’s so annoying.