How quiet is it?

So quiet you can hear a boll weevil peeing on cotton.

So quiet that our great and good friend Robert L – who was stoked to do a Carey-vs.-Jaro comparison using stats on how each goaltender performed against right-handed shooters, aged 20 to 26, firing to the glove side from 15 to 23 feet out – instead has teamed up with Francis Bouchard for a history of the Habs on the silver screen.

• Pat Hickey on the Kovalchuk case

Éric Bélanger talked to the Canadiens, who can’t afford him

Where’s P.K.? (Shout-out to Curtoph)

• L’Artiste is gone, but maybe the Canadiens can hire a good artist

Productivity of Canadiens’ homeboys, from Michael Whitehouse

• Yann Danis is going to the KHL, per rushockey on Twitter

• Hot Dogs! Get your hot dogs here! A scary report on sports venue food (thanks, Kevin von Steendelaar)

Coyotes deal in trouble?

Another move by the Lightning. And a feature on their new guy (thanks, nightmare_49)

Rangers closing in on Frolov

• The All-UFA Team

• James Mirtle on 84 UFAs

Hey, AK46’s Mom made a YouTube video. The hit on Chara at 1:05 is sweet!

_XJcHNWRU-k

1. Adam says:

What does winning hockey games have to do with protecting French culture? It’s not the 1950’s anymore, there are more than 6 teams in the league, and territorial rights have gone bye-bye. I’d take a champisonship team with not a single francophone on it over the alternative any day.

2. Rugger says:

Tyngsboro area – I’m not the only one here!

3. ZepFan2 says:

To be fair, there were many on the team that had brain farts.

I realise Bergeron had a heavy shot, but how much worse was he than O’Byrne when it came to defense?!

MAB had many brainfarts and was given multiple chances even though he’s a vet. Rookies make mistakes, that’s how they learn. JM should let O’B learn.

From what I remember, O’Byrne was playing fine in the playoffs. Blocking shots, laying the body and then all of a sudden, one delay of game penalty for shooting the puck over the glass (something MANY D-men have done), and that’s it for OB.

Hopefully that changes this year.

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

4. ZepFan2 says:

It pisses me off as well.

Why is it okay for a veteran d-man to make those boneheaded plays and not be benched?

O’Byrne is a big, strong d-man that’s not afraid to slam bodies around. He was also another among the Habs d-men that were blocking shots by the bucket full in the playoffs.

I just didn’t understand why MAB continued to suck the life out of the defense in the philly series by continually getting beat and yet still played a somewhat regular shift, while OB sat.

Boggles my mind.

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

5. showey47 says:

Ironically roman hamrlik led the league in delay of game penalties and i don’t think he was ever sat because of it. It has to piss off obyrne knowing that if he makes one mistake he is either benched or in the pressbox while MAB (and others) pretty much gets a free ride. It pisses me off to no end when i see JM mishandle young players like that.

As Paul mentioned below, I really shouldn’t single out Martin in terms of our problem of developing young players.  He’s partly responsible for not getting the best out of a few guys (such as Lats) but maybe O’Byrne just isn’t good enough.  It just seems that every time he makes a mistake he gets benched.  That is partly do to the fact that each year we are in a race to the finsh line just to make the playoffs.  There’s little time to develop players or trial by error.

My frustration comes from the fact that the organization wasn’t able to obtain and develop any hot shot young talent during the past 8 years (excluding Price and Subban who still are only potential building blocks).  Your point about the system in general is valid.  MaxPac never should have left school after one eyar.  Lats, Price, and SK74 were rushed way too early.  And for what ever reason, we seem to draft guys with attitudinal problems and egos that are way too large.  You have to wonder why so many of our young players act like big fish in a little pond.

So many people just seem to crap on the players, when maybe we should be asking if it really is a flaw with  the philosophy of the management team.

We can debate this all day long (and focus on our disagreements) but at the end of the day the truth still remains the same.  Ouside of Subban and Price, there is a real lack of top notch young talent on the team.

7. scrowe21 says:

That Kostitsyn video is awesome… aside from the terrible song.

——–If you play nhl10 for xbox360 add me – scrowe21

8. bostonantifan says:

O’Byrne has never been given a legitimate shot at being a full-time defenseman on the Habs.  A few games here, a few games there.   Give him a full season of steady full-time work before saying he “isn’t working out”.  For cripes sakes, Bergeron got more ice time than O’Byrne, and he was a total stiff!  As for brain farts, Patrice Brisbois had more of them than anyone, and some posters on this site want to enshrine him in the hall of fame!  They forget he was booed out of town in his first stint in Montreal.

9. SeriousFan09 says:

Latendresse was a fiasco well before JM showed up, crybaby who thought his name and the media spotlight made him entitled to his job regardless of how poorly he played.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

10. Clay4bc says:

It takes a village, man!

__________________________

Carey Price killed my dog.

11. punkster says:

I have to ask you Steve. This knock on the Habs for developing players. Shouldn’t the players be pretty well developed when they come from the farm? Isn’t it the farm’s job to develop the young ones? If they’re not developed yet then why have they been brought up unless temporarily for emergency injury fill-ins, to gain some NHL experience now and again or ultimately when they crack the roster out of camp? I’m serious, I just don’t know the answer. Whose responsibility is development?

FREE TIMO!

12. HabFanSince72 says:

Hard to blame Martin for that. He’s only been here 12 months.

Where I would blame him is the Latendresse fiasco. But O’Byrne is older than Seabrook and Phaneuf. He’s not a young player anymore.

13. HabFanSince72 says:

You’re starting to sound like Don Cherry.

Dave – It looks like my use of the word “ruin” has upset a few people.  That was certainly not my intent.  I’m just frustrated that we have such a spotty record at developing young players.  Eight years in and all we have is Price, Gorges, O’Byrne, Subban, Laps and Pouliot.  Outside of Price and Subban, there’s not one building block in sight.

15. 123456 says:

let us not forget obryne played in 2/3 of the playoff games and was second on the team in plus/minues, only one behind PK.

I do agree with Dave on the point of OByrne and Martin ruining him, I think a player has to show value sometime! Cannot wait forever.

He could play for less in the best hockey market in the league. As a matter of fact, so could Price!

18. Bob Barker says:

That’s a good video. Hopefully we’ll see more of that from AK46 this season. Pleks went from 39 points in 70 in his contract year. I think this year’s the year he breaks 60 points.

19. Mark C says:

Wideman was a great whipping boy. I’ve heard the Kovalchuk talk too, but there is no money for that, they can’t even sign Seguin yet.

The Nashua area.

20. avatar_58 says:

Who is Belanger again? Not exactly a household name. Oh he’s FRENCH? Oh pardon me, let’s move heaven and earth to make his dream come true.

Or not. Scuse me but we have enough centers and I’m not sure why this is even news, given he could be lying through his teeth.

21. punkster says:

I wouldn’t call OB a young player exactly. At 26 with 3 chances at the bigs he seems to be susceptible to brain farts that impede his advancement. Contrary to what some believe I sincerely doubt JM has decided to “ruin” him. OB has to learn how to work effectively by using his big size to advantage rather than pulling bonehead moves on D. I like the guy and agree he should be given the opportunity but if he isn’t working out then lets move on.

FREE TIMO!

22. Mark C says:

My theory on Darche is he is keeping the seat warm for one of Max-Pac, Palushaj, White, and Maxwell. I think management wants all these players to start in the AHL, but as soon as one or two start playing well they will be called up. I think the idea/hope is that one of these players forces their way into Montreal’s line-up before X-mas.

Just my pet theory, but it does explain why a more permanent solution was not used.

23. habs03 says:

I don’t buy into that JM ruins young players, but this year is make it or break it for O’B, he is going to get his chance to play, I think for the 2011 season we are going to have 2 spots open on D, we need a top 4 D-man to replace Hamrlik, and depending on if O’B  we might need a 5-6 D-man to play with Gorges to replace Gill. Hopeful O’B has a good season and we replace Gill with O’B to play with Gorges

D-core for 2011

-Markov-(somone)

Spacek-Subban

Gorges-O’B

7th Weber or Carle

24. Chorske says:

Wha? Wheeler sucks.

I love it when posters bemoan PGs lack of “creativity”. What does that even mean? That he should INVENT a higher salary cap? That he should use MAGIC to hypnotize other teams into bad deals? Invariably, these posters fall into a Burke-ian trap: they want PG to make a move, ANY move, no matter how unrealistic or just plain stupid. That’s called management theatre, making a splash to create the illusion of good management- and it’s why Toronto has been a cellar-dweller for ages now, with little hope on the horizon.

25. C3P1 says:

or dennis wideman, but he got traded…all my friends who are bruins fans would not care if he left…they all have this crazy illusion that they’re going to be able to sign kovalchuk.

where in nh?

_________________________________________________

Avon Old Farms: 2007, 2008 & 2010 New England Division I Hockey Champions – #5

26. Chorske says:

Huh. So the Belanger thing is being cast as a Belanger-or-Plekanec thing? Can’t wait to see how that gets spun among the 110% Antichambre dudes.

He’s always dreamed of being a Hab? It’s his lifelong dream? But then the deal falls apart because of money? Call me naive, but that ain’t much of a dream.

Besides, we’re stacked at center.

27. Mark C says:

Hey, another New Englander, I live in NH. From talking with Bruins’ fans, I would have to say he is the most disliked player on that team, or at least the most frustrating.

28. C3P1 says:

reports out of washington have shaone morrisonn signing back in washington. mike green is his best friend and he likes dc, he’s been there from the beginning and he wants to see them win a cup. he’s not good enough to make alot of money on the open market.

_________________________________________________

Avon Old Farms: 2007, 2008 & 2010 New England Division I Hockey Champions – #5

29. HabFanSince72 says:

I’ll ignore the old “Martin ruins young players” meme (in any case O’B is 26), and agree with you on Darche. That signing makes no sense. He is not an NHL player, and, at 33, will not become one.

30. C3P1 says:

I live in boston, take it from me, blake wheeler sucks. he was good for the 2nd half of his rookie season when he played with krejci and ryder, now he is soft, as mentioned before, a puck hog, and from what the media says around here, kind of a little baby. he also has semin syndrome, he has I think 3 points in 23 career playoff games. he’s the last thing we need right now.

_________________________________________________

Avon Old Farms: 2007, 2008 & 2010 New England Division I Hockey Champions – #5

31. Mark C says:

How did this Blake Wheeler illusion start? Everyday someone new is singing his praises, which are completely opposite of reality.

The All-UFA list shows just what might be available at a bargain basement price for teams that had the patience to wait before filling out their rosters.

Assuming that Montreal had no intention of moving Hamrlik, you have to wonder what G&G might have done differently at the beginning of July.  In fairness, it appears that they couldn’t do things much differently.

I would certainly take Asham over Darche.  Torres is injury prone and made 2.2M last year but he might be begging for a job before the fall arrives.  I would have signed Darche to a two-way contract and then taken one of these other two guys.  That way you land up with two players instead of one.

Defense?  I think the first question you have to ask yourself is whether or not the team is going to give O’Byrne a solid chance at becoming a regular?  If Martin decides to ruin another young player then we might as well move on to a UFA.  Mitchell is probably too expensive and Sutton is getting up there age wise.  That leaves Morrisonn, Lilja and Mottau.  Morrisonn made 2.0M last year and is only 27.  The question is just how much will he play for.  Mottau and Lilja still might be good pick-ups to fill in for Markov and then become depth Dmen when he returns.  They have no offensive ability but that role will have to fall to Subban/Hamrlik/Spacek until Markov returns.

It’s interesting that Moore is not included on this list.  Is he making the same contract mistake for the 2nd year in a row, or is there something wrong with him that we are not aware of?  You have to figure he’s a better choice than Boyd.

33. SeriousFan09 says:

A buttery soft, greedy forward who turned down his rookie contract to go play with his college buddy and a bonus-loaded rookie contract in Boston? Yeah, I can see why we’d want this guy.

He’s greedy, he’s soft and describing him as a power forward is like calling Max Lapierre an enforcer.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

34. j2w4habs25 says:

Hey I finally found this one – I had seen it before and didnt add it on to my favorites, but this time I did.

its a cool vid

35. Chris F says:

Just a comment about the Blake Wheeler Story, I’m going to be physically sick if that loud mouth Burke gets his hands on this guy. Wheeler is the type of guy we need, I wish our GM could get creative enough to get this done.

36. j2w4habs25 says:

Winnipeg Jets? sounds awesome, but i can only wish – it would be easier for me to watch a Habs game live.

37. avatar_58 says:

I watch this all the time -

Just gets you pumped. I want hockey to start NOW! :)

38. Mark C says:

Nice, I haven’t been to Skate 3 in a while. Few more people in the area and we can have our own New England summit.

39. terrygain says:

Your recollection is correct.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Did anyone notice how those Maple Leaf fans are such sheep? They support management no matter what. It’s no wonder they haven’t won in 43 years.

40. JamesEduard says:

Nice video post you here anyway. I actually do not know Belanger that much  he’s not that interesting anyway. and anyway i can see that someone’s don’t like belanger that much. it’s out of my concern anyway.

41. nightmare_49 says:

72 – Seabrook & Phaneuf went the junior route while OB spent his time the NCAA plan that has fewer games and a normal schedule and is played with cages and heavy rules.

College kids that stay those extra years in the NCAA have fewer years to show their stuff in the pros and we all know that D men need time to develop and next thing you know their 27 and UFA’s.

O’Byrne never got a chance with the Great Carbo and Martin used him in the same way and the only coach that has been with OB from the start is Muller who worked with all the young prospects in the system, blame who you want but they never gave OB a chance to gain his confidence.

All i want is for them to give him a long stretch of games with adequate ice time to have him prove himself and gain confidence and if he blows the chance so be it and i’ll be satisfied with the outcome. Also remember that OB is never going to be a PK but may become a Gill type with superior wheels. Gill had his growing pains but his teams stuck with him, it pays off.

42. bwoar says:

Plekanec, anyone?

43. Don Carnage says:

Yes and so are alot of others here who talk trash about either RDS people or Anti Chambre people, the fact is that we live in Quebec and that the bulk of the population is french, if the shoe was on the other foot you would want to protect your culture as much as the next guy, and you would be right in doing so. It is normal they people would like to see more french speaking players perfectly normal.

44. Mr. Biter says:

Agree with you. Moore or Metro (who don’t seem to be generating any intrest right now) would have been much better choices. Also Asham who is roughly the same salary as Darche.

45. Mr. Biter says:

You’ve got to be joking.

46. punkster says:

I know it’s difficult to attempt to find a resolution to a problem without draggng in other issues and sometimes that stops people from focusing on the main problem. The one item I refer to is development. Many players (people in general) have attitude or ego issues so drafting the right players is a first step. At the other end the NHL team would/should expect a reasonably stable player when they get a call-up or allow a player to crack the roster. Somewhere between the draft and the farm team (university, other leagues, etc then Hamilton) is where I would expect the development to be solidified. After all there were reasons why the player was drafted, he showed something of value and potential, something the organization felt they could work with and develop into an NHLer. Now if the players aren’t arriving here with the demonstrated skills, or at least knowledge of the skills, required to play in the NHL then the issue is not at the NHL team level but furher down in the organization. All this to say blaming the Habs upper management, or JM, for underdeveloped players is a bit steep.

FREE TIMO!

47. G-Man says:

It’s not just about talent, Steve.  It’s about the desire to be the best. That attitude is very sadly lacking in many the Habs draft. That, and a piss-poor work ethic.

Guy Lafleur was happy to be the first on the ice in practice and the last to leave, always trying to improve himself as a player.

Where is that attitude on the Habs today?

Few players on the team now display that dedication. They are too busy with their fast cars and women. :D

48. Mr-T says:

1/ He lacks much more then creativity. That requires a analytical mind.

2/ Be creative and innovative–work within the cap to your advantage–it is not a liability.

3/ It is the other way around as to the one being hypnotized into bad deals.

4/ He is well ahead in unrealistic, stupid and incomprehensible moves or did you miss the Halak trade or lack                        of any others to improve the requirements that the team needs to more competitive.

5/ He is the illusion and a parody of himself and just where exactly is this teams immediated future headed.

49. Exit716 says:

They don’t need to sell tickets in Montreal. That’s why.

50. Curtoph says:

Kinda of saddening that the NHL did not add PK onto this list:

Oh well, in my eyes, he’ll do much better than most of these guys.

51. nightmare_49 says:

Follow up on Mr. Boone’s headline –  Nice promising read:  Tampa Bay Lightning CEO and minority owner Tod Leiweke in his own words / Damian Cristodero

Leiweke, 50, who comes from the NFL’s Seahawks, had lots to say about helping the fans enjoy the games more. He also spoke about why he decided to leave Seattle and his life-long love of hockey; growing up in St. Louis he was a Blues fan.

52. HabFanSince72 says:

Too bad about Belanger. Coudn’t we trade Moen for a late pick and sign Belanger? A similar and similar priced player who is better offensively.

53. nightmare_49 says:

72 – But not better physically, we need sandpaper. Goals aren’t everything , mate.

54. sholi2000.com says:

First Zherdev, and now Frolov.  Will the Rags ever learn?

They Call Me Shane

55. nightmare_49 says:

Little off topic:  Do you have a favorite drunkard?

from Modern Drunkard Magazine

The big man loved two things: wrestling and booze—mostly booze—and his appetites were of mythic proportion.

First, consider the number 7,000. It’s an important number, and a rather scary one considering its context, which is this—it has been estimated that Andre the Giant drank 7,000 calories worth of booze every day. The figure doesn’t include food. Just booze.

7,000 calories.

Every day.

Read more:  http://www.drunkard.com/issues/10_06/10_06_andre_giant.html

56. Propwash says:

I’m my own favourate drunkard. I reward myself with beer.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

57. HabFanSince72 says:

Belanger has plenty of grit. Did you see how he kept playing after MA Bergeron knocked out all his teeth?

And Moen doesn’t do much most shifts.

58. nightmare_49 says:

72 – Belanger was so gritty that the Kings and the Wild let him go cuz they rather have an agressive center playing on the third line. Besides , i rather have young Eller playing center than an old bandaid.

Moen isn’t gifted but he works his butt off every shift and you never see him shy away from a hit and is hard to play against and backs up his linemates when he has too while Belanger doesn’t scare anybody.

59. HabFanSince72 says:

How the city of Montreal jammed the Molson stadium expansion down our throats:

It’s normally impossible to do anything on the mountain, no matter how insignificant.

Yet this project, which really does affect the Mt Royal (more people, obstructs the view), gets pushed through. And the taxpayers paid for it!

60. Storm Man says:

I think this could be the reason why Price has not signed yet, I hear he is very upset with the stadium expansion as it blocks his view of the pretty ladys walking by his condo.

61. G-Man says:

Every time a view from Mount Royal is shown on the tv screen- more tourists from across Canada are reminded of Montreal. Good advertising.

HIO Fan 2010 Summit Updates For Nov 5th & 6th In Montreal

Leave your intentions on the Summit page if you have not already

63. habs03 says:

What a waste of talent A.Kost is, such skill with such little passion.

How quiet is it?

So quiet you can hear a boll weevil peeing on cotton.

But Habs Inside/Out fans need someplace to vent, and that’s what we’re here for.

Today’s question:

When the 2009-’10 season begins on Oct. 1, your Montreal Canadiens will be less European than they were a year ago.

Is this a good thing?

A bad thing?

The stupidest, most xenophobic question since Coach’s Corner signed off?

•  •  •

The Hockey Sweater Redux: Brian Costello has a nice Hockey News piece about Maurice Richard, the Hall of Fame and Mike Cammalleri.

•  •  •

Your morning hurl: Milan Lucic dreams of playing for Canada at the Olympics

•  •  •

Forty years since a man first walked on the moon.

Forty-two years since a Toronto captain last  grasped the Stanley Cup.

Both named Armstrong