How much will he help?

5103981

HabsWorld’s Fantasy Focus looks at Erik Cole and projects 25 goals and 25 assists.

Other than that, the August doldrums continue, Habaholics.

J.T. on her fave Canadien, Tomas Plekanec

• At the team site, video of Brian Gionta as a kid

Busy summer for Michaël Bournival. He scored in the national junior team’s first intra-squad game

• EOTP on prospect Gabriel Dumont

Larry Brooks unloads on Sean Avery

The Cup in QC

1. Mondou6 says:

Unrelated question…When do Habs tickets hit the market? I’ve been checking StubHub, and there’s only like 100 or so tix per game available. So I assume that most people don’t have them in hand yet.

Anyone know the date?

Thanks in advance! :-)

2. Everlasting1 says:

Curious to see how Benoit Pouliot makes out in Boston.

——————————————————————-
    “God has taken his place in the divine council; in the midst of the gods he holds judgment: “How long will you judge unjustly and show partiality to the wicked? Psalms 82:1-2

3. ProHabs says:

So Beaulieu cheated on his girlfriend. Sounds like the Habs drafted a player with a lot of charactor there. Just break up with her first then run wild dude.

• mike3131 says:

He didn’t cheat on her. Apparently her phone got stolen and the maniac made it up. That’s the story from a thread (way) below…

• otter649 says:

A couple of 18 year olds – probably the gf was more serious about the reationship after all Beaulieu is going to be a millionaire in a few years if things go right for him……..

Hey Syntax, not sure if you are around the Redwood this Wed. Am, but my wife and I are heading back to burlington wed. And plan on doing brekky there about 8am

5. Mothstoflame says:

Should have kept Glen Metropolit.

6. Say Ash says:

Why is it so taboo to say anything negative about Koivu?

7. SyntaxLove says:

So, everyone hates each other. That’s good. Slightly off-topic, I am really looking forward to seeing the Wiz be “the man” on the blueline in Columbus. I was in his camp during the Wiz/Markov debate. Markov is currently better but Wiz has more time & potential to grow. I’d like to see him do well.

Chinchillin’

8. SeriousFan09 says:

Alexei Kovalev may have been “L’Artiste’ but let’s look at it this way folks, if you work for 18 years but for only 2 of them do a really impressive job, what does that say about you?

Sooner or later, time to stop playing the misunderstood/unappreciated card and show what you’ve got.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

• Bill J says:

Dude, totally respect you. But! Uhm, you should look at Koivu too then, no ? This will get me flamed, but just saying. It goes both ways… Seeing as Kovey DOES have a Cup ring no?

My point being, Kovalev’s gone, let’s allow him to drift into the sunset without much media fanfare. Otherwise he may think we want him back!

p.s., if it was not totally unrealistic, I would welcome Saku back to MTL. Kovey, not so much. Just wanted to add that before I get royally flamed.

If you want a days count till Habs hockey, I recommend this as your home page: http://bit.ly/mTnegr

• HabFab says:

Maybe he was “L’Artiste” because he was not the “Maestro”?

• HabFanSince72 says:

“One judges an artist by their best work not their worst.”

- Susan Sontag

• ooder says:

although kovalev is known as a prima donna… i hardly think we can knock him for speaking against clouston (where does he work again) and the senators writers (worst then amateurs).

——————
      The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

• Kooch7800 says:

I have to disagree with you on this. In Kovalev’s career he has a stanely cup, Olympic gold, 4 all star games and one mvp of an all star game. He also had over 20 goals in 13 seasons, over 60 points in 8 seasons. Not a bad hockey player if you ask me.
      If you think he sucks what do you think about our current Roster?

• ZepFan2 says:

Not disagreeing with you.

But imagine if Kovalev played like Gionta.
        ———————————————————————-
        Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

• sane hockey fan says:

You could also turn those stats around and say he only had 3 of 18 seasons with over 70 points and only 3 of 18 with one 30 goals and I don’t want to even begin on the roster the rangers had when they won the cup. Also, the all star game MVP…really?

What do I think about our current roster. Well first off they all seem to work pretty hard. Also, we have a guy name cammalleri who in only 6 seasons has had 2 70+ and 30+ goal seasons, Tomas plekanec has had 5 straight 20 goal season in only 6 NHL seasons….thats 15 20 goal seasons in 18 years compared to 12 from kovy…oh and they have gone farther in the playoffs in one year together than kovy has since he won that cup… in 1994

• Kooch7800 says:

In the same regard turn the stats on Cammy. He hasn’t passed 50 points with us in the last two seasons and yes has had two 70 plus point seasons but the other seasons he barely was over 50 points which are AK type numbers but Cammy makes a heck of a lot more dough and gets always top 6 ice and pp time.
          Cammy has been clutch in the playoffs but needs to be more consistent in the regular season. That is not all his fault as injuries etc but to this point as a hab hasn’t been a bit dissapointing in the regular season. In the playoffs he has been clutch.

You obviously don’t like kovalev and too be Frank I don’t really care, Kovalev in my opinion was an above average NHL player who was enigmatic but could also take over a game single handed. He took over the boston series back along with Jose Theodore (flashes of last year with Halak and Cammy). He also as I listed previous has a cup and Olympic gold etc. He was entertaining when he was on and you never knew when he was just going to break out and score an insane goal.

• Bugs says:

If the two years you did your job, you picked up ALL of your 1400pts (or whatever), it would say “hot DOG, what’s up with THAT?”
      Thankfully for the Artiste though, he spread a lot of those pts around his 18 years, so the comparison doesn’t apply.
      Right?

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

9. JohnBellyful says:

The question that needs to be answered before training camp opens is this: Whatever became of the ghosts of the Forum? You know, the gang responsible for so many games ending in the Canadiens’ favour.
    Did they cross over to the other side in 1996, thinking their work was done after a measly 24 Cups? Or have they taken up residence in the Canadiens Hall of Fame, content to dwell in the past and unwilling to venture out to where they could still do some good?
    You talk about intangibles, those guys were the real deal. They were immaterial but produced when it counted.
    But what have those feckless Caspers done for us lately?
    The Bruins exorcized their demons this year by winning it all after more than three decades of futility. Maybe demons have taken possession of the Habs’ franchise. Sure seemed like it during the Houle rejeanime.
    It’s been 18 years since we had a good reason to riot. And as good as Montreal is looking on paper, we need every edge we can get. Having the Unseen on your side has got to mean an 10 extra points over a season.
    It’s too big a deal to do nothing until the summit. We need to find those ghosts now and the only way that’s going to happen is for HIO to hold a séance over the Internet. The more minds the better.

What am I saying?
    Okay, I’ll do it.
    Any long-dead relative you want me to contact while I’m in the spirit world? Bring back a T-shirt?
    I’ll get us an answer one way or another even if it kills me (which occurs to me might be the only way I’ll get an answer).
    Well, if that’s what it takes …

10. crazyhabsfan says:

HA! Does anyone else think the guy talking in Gio’s videos sounds like Peter Griffin??

“We’ve got to find a way to beat them. We can’t play hang-on hockey. We’ve got to go out and take it to them and make plays and be aggressive. If you play hang-on hockey in this league, they’re going to beat you.”
    -Mike Cammalleri

11. Everlasting1 says:

Omg, who gives a rat’s a$$ about Bulu’s gf tweets. What is this TMZHabs? What’s even more pathetic is that he will most likely never don a Habs uni.

• christophor says:

More important for a habs site: TMZ-ish Habs news and training camp or Cowboys and Aliens?

That you don’t find the former interesting might have more to do with your not being a proper representative of the visitorship here: habs fans.

Now go shoot things.

• Everlasting1 says:

I wouldn’t care who Jake Allen is ‘doing’ either.

• Bill J says:

Perhaps because instead of posting on a St Louis Blues fan site, speaking with people as close to “like” you as possible, you linger on a Habs fan dominated site and post idiotic off topic posts.

Maybe you should follow your future #1 goalie, get to know him a bit more.

• Everlasting1 says:

You’re late for your 8 o’clock..

• Bill J says:

Funny, because I think if a poll was taken. People would more often the not say “who cares what everlasting0 says”

At least I’m talking about Habs related news, not some religious aliens who messed up our DNA strand when they cloned us.

• LA Loyalist says:

some took a Pole? In the draft? Who?

• Everlasting1 says:

You’re not talking Habs hockey..you’re talking what he said/she said via tween tweets. And you’re, what..70?

• Bill J says:

Why do you care how old I am alien boy? Clearly someone here who is a Habs fan wanted to know. Hard concept for you to grasp, staying on topic that is… Isn’t it ?

Not many enjoy your ridiculous banter here. Why not infest another site with your gibberish ?

Timo got banned for being passionate about hockey and the Habs. I do not understand how you’re not banned yet for your constant left field drivel.

If memory serves, using the lords name in vein will result in one clear destination for you ;), straight to the Air Canada Centre (AKA Hell). Food for thought.

p.s. Sorry Timo for mentioning your name, just saw your name below mine, and it reminded me that everlastingzero should be banned.

• Propwash says:

The guy’s a St. Louis fan anyway.

• Everlasting1 says:

And what do you care what I say? Go ahead with your poll.
            It’s ‘hahoc’ now?

• Bill J says:

E0: I care because you’re making it hard to read real Habs discussions, or for that matter Hockey related discussions.

You do not belong! Go away, and join another site dedicated to The Alien Gods you adore so much.

• Everlasting1 says:

You’re funny. Think I’ll stay.

• Bill J says:

E0: thus my reasoning for your being banned from this site, you seem to want to refuse the “nice” way.

p.s., you’re far from funny.

• Everlasting1 says:

Take it up with your shrink.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

This could possibly be the most useless Monday I’ve ever had.

• HabFab says:

You sound down…must have lost that $15 you got back the other day! Go… look at your daughter and all will be better!!

At least until she becomes a teenager…good luck then!

• Timo says:

Hahah… surprisingly i am not as upset about the market loss as you’d think. Just useless day overall. Going to get my kiddo now. Maybe go ride a couple of rounds on Merry Go Round. Always a trip.

13. HabFab says:

Looks like a lot here, like myself, are suffering severe hockey withdrawal. We only have 5 weeks or so to training camp so hang in there. Have attached a video clip, it takes 5 minutes to watch. Why bother? Because it feels so good to be at the Bell Centre experiencing our Canadiens……enjoy!!!!!

14. punkster says:

The dog days of summer, very little Habs news, a market melt down and what do we read on here today? Politics. The least interesting subject imaginable was probably summed up best by Will Rogers when he said “A fool and his money are soon elected”.

Disclaimer: The use of the above quote is in no way intended to belittle those who have graduated with, are studying for or plan to attend an institution of higher learning with the desire of earning a poli-sci degree. Political science is a marvellous field, one which I am sure I would be standing in today had my career in music then the world of high tech business not gotten in the way of…oh, who am I kidding…politics just ain’t my shtick.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

15. habsfanincalgary says:

TSN publishes on their website (http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=373439) that Kovy was interviewed in Russia and is bad mouthing Clousten and the Ottawa reporters.

Toward the end of the article, he said that he was offered an NHL contract but it was only for a year; he was looking for term and therefore signed in Ottawa. Does anyone know what team offered him the contract?

I still say $1-$2 million..3rd line or 4th. Would definitely help the PP and the shootout…

Just my $0.02.

• Stev.R says:

Kovy would be a terrible third or fourth line player and I have no idea why anyone would believe otherwise. His 30 points would not be worth the 50 goals against he would be responsible for. Not to mention his 3 minute shifts would eat up time that could be used for our good scorers.

Summit Tickets

Only waiting for 3 more people from USA. The last one to arrive will be out of luck, because the Bell Center just cut us off as of today. I was only able to purchase 4 more myself and we needed 6.

He who hesitates, is lost!

17. Everlasting1 says:

No mofo, nuclear bombs are all the rage.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• your words, not mine, you said the constitution is timeless, when clearly its not

• Everlasting1 says:

In a society where gun manufacturing/ownership is the norm, everyone has the right to protect themselves. Ask yourself why the military need them.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• youre asking me to ask myself why the military needs guns?

• Everlasting1 says:

If you can find other reasons than for defensive purposes. This is a test. Go..

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• i know you think you are omnipotent and that being vague is a “brilliant” way of participating in dialogue, but i am sorry to break the news to you

you arent and it isnt

you stated that the constitution is timeless, i pointed out that it was written at a time when muskets were the standard firearm at the time, you replied with nukes, then you asked me to ponder why the military has guns, now your asking me for other uses for them?

can the bs im embarassed for you sergio

• Everlasting1 says:

Well, you failed that one fbjkmofo..thanks for playing.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• My favourite example of how ridiculously beyond stupid the second amendment is today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSp7CipN1pw

• Everlasting1 says:

Not as stupid as any given countries’ military who purchase such weapons at the tax payers expense and approval.
          See *common sense.

• Bripro says:

Are we still talking politics here?
      Time to lighten up, no?

18. dhenry1234 says:

Let’s take a quick break from hockey talk to wish Good luck to all of those in London Right now. I hear it’s getting pretty hectic.

Well it will be interesting to see what Bettman will specifically ask for in the next go around. His cost certainty plan backfired as it pertained to small market teams. It is those owners who need the most help, but the vocal power owners (boston, rangers, toronto, philly) probably feel they gave enough last time and won’t be as interested in something designed to help them again. I really wonder if we aren’t 3-4 yrs away from some contraction. Once Nashville eventually loses Rinne or Suter and Weber they will be back to square one again. Will those fans still come out when the team loses more than win? Interesting times ahead.

20. forget politics, you are ALL sheep

^
    the truth

*pimpwalks*

Donald Fehr will ask for the CBA to remain the same. He will lobby publicly hoe the players basically capitulated last time and gave the owners everything they wanted. The owners last time round managed to get the public opinion somewhat on their side portraying the players as greedy. They can’t sell that again, owners will have no public sympathy, I think owners are stuck with this deal, unless there is some other large concession they can give players, not sure what else there is however. This isis bettman’s bed he made he is stuck in it!

22. SmartDog says:

Q: When did this become a place to discuss politics?
    A: Never!!! (Disclaimer… I did make one small comment today, but jeez a full fledged political discussion? c’mon guys.)

Of greater importance… hey Berkshire, what did Beaulieu’s girl friend do on Twitter? Curious.

———-
    *****WARNING: Testing out new dog icons for the coming season. *****

• She caught him cheating on her apparently and tossed out a bunch of “you’re dead to me” and “Nathan is a ______” tweets.

• Bill J says:

Actually not quite correct answer.

Beaulieu’s GF had her phone stolen, the turkey who stole it posted those tweets accusing Beaulieu of cheating etc.

If you look at Beaulieu’s tweets same day that all happened you will note he addressed it.

Beaulieu & his GF are still together.

• Chrisadiens says:

Agree about the politics. No place for it here. Love the new avatar BTW.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

RUDY

RUTH ANN DICKIE ,Va, USA—-Summit Tickets

Call Ian ASAP 613-968-9807
    Rudy
    August 4, 2011 11:19 am at 11:19 am

Ian, sent my US money order to you by US postal Service on Tuesday, really hoping you get it by tomorrow.

I have not received as of yet.! RUDY

24. HabFanSince72 says:

Jim Balsillie at number two on list of CEOs who need to be fired.

This is not surprising; RIM is in free fall and utterly without a clue.

What I found somewhat surprising is this:

“Its new PlayBook tablet PC did poorly ”

Am wrong in concluding that a few people actually bought PlayBooks? The worst designed commercial product since the 2009-2010 Toronto Maple Leafs.

25. mike3131 says:

I know he signed in the KHL, but who would want Kovy now?

You can’t win with guys like that. I get more and more happy every day about the fact that we didn’t keep him.

26. JD_ says:

So, after openin’ the door, he calls them “fat little pigs”, challenges them to a fight, then slams the door in their faces.

I’m talkin’, of course, about Ron Wilson interactin’ with the Toronto media on any given night.

Booya, baby!

My summer of denial continues: Last week, whilst visitin’ the HHoF in T.O., I turned away from some large picture of a bunch of players posin’ with the Cup on the ice. Not sure what that was all about, you know, seein’ as I wasn’t lookin’ at it.

Then, in the trophy room, I lifted the display case protectin’ the Conn Smythe and used a key to etch “is a fat little pig” after whosehiswhat’s name, you know, the guy who won it this year.

No, I didn’t really, but that would have been cool in a Fight Club kinda way.

“Shhh. Be vewy vewy quiet.” – Elmer Fudd, poet-philosopher

For a guy who obviously likes to talk a whole lot, Gary Bettman is awfully silent these days. The only person more silent is Donald Fehr. Both of them are preoccupied with numbers, one in particular. Given league revenues are likely to exceed $2.7B in 2011-12, that magic number is 57; i.e., the percentage of league revenues the players are entitled to.

See, when all the crap starts up early next year, 57 is the figure that will dominate headlines. The simple reason is that the cap has increased a whoppin’ 64.1% since it was implemented, representin’ a compound average growth rate (CAGR) of 8.6%. On an ex-oil basis, that’s an uncomfortably material basis point premium on underlyin’ price inflation and the owners don’t like it. Not one bit, baby.

Fehr’ll say status quo, Bettman will say 45%, and then they’ll settle at 53%. In exchange, the league will drop the Kovy Amendment and the circumvention nonsense will go where no man has gone before.

Alexander Semin plans to play hockey until he’s 82.

Brian Burkie sux.

• Now what’s the point in having Fehr and Bettman discuss this? They have too much power. Let’s get Ron Paul in there and he can leave it all to the individual players and owners to mull it over.

• Everlasting1 says:

Do some research on the CONSTITUTION. The ideology and which the US was founded on. There’s Paul’s whole platform, fool. Look up ‘libertarianism’ while you’re at it.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Last I checked the constitution was written in a time completely unrecognizable to modern society. If you really think living your live by the codes of the past while society evolves all around you is wise, I truly feel sorry for your complete lack of adaptability.

• Bripro says:

Why are you guys arguing over constitutional ethics? We’re talking hockey here. Not global crisis. There are enough blogs pertaining to said crisis elsewhere around the world.
            This site should be escapism for some light-hearted banter, and trashing Buttman…I mean Fehr….either or, they’re both neanderthals, and they were here before there was a definition for constitution.

• Everlasting1 says:

You obviously haven’t read it. The principles are timeless and applicable today. They aren’t ‘codes’. They value everything libertarians value.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• i wouldnt exactly call the second amendment timeless, unless you think muskets are still all the rage?

• the constitution was written by those who did not want political party’s, which would include a libertarian one, not saying you said that, but just putting it out there

• Duracell3 says:

USA

LOL

• Bripro says:

I think there’s a bigger problem….Donald Fehr.
      Does anyone remember the baseball strike? …the end of the Expos. Who was the stallwart inflexible?…..Fehr.
      He’s very stubborn. And it’s his way or the highway.
      If his philosophy hasn’t changed, I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re looking at another lost season.

• JD_ says:

Let’s not forget the NHL’s lost season was due to a lockout.

Your description of Fehr could easily apply to Bettman.

I’m cautiously optimistic there’s too much positive mo’ workin’ in the league’s favour – for all concerned – and that cooler heads will prevail. Although the battle will be protracted, I don’t expect it to be deadly because the issues will center around the absolute numbers contained in the CBA rather than its underlyin’ structure, which was the case the last time around.

That is a huge positive.

• Bripro says:

Last time, Fehr and Selig (then and still appointed by numb-skull owners) haggled over revenues. And that will still be the primary issue.

• JD_ says:

Revenues wasn’t the issue last time the NHL and NHLPA sat down, it was cost certainty. The only way for the league to achieve that was to impose a salary cap.

Thus the lockout.

This time around it will be revenues. Just numbers, not contract structure.

As a result, I see the basis for contentious negotiations, but not a lockout/strike. It’s far too easy to construct a worst-case scenario and I don’t like takin’ the easy route.

• HabFanSince72 says:

How is this for pettiness: at least a lockout would be better than the Bruins winning the cup. Or the Flyers.

• JD_ says:

The real problem with a lockout is it affords Loaf fans the opportunity to say their team finished the season tied for first overall.

@Bripro, just tie Bettman to a tree in the rainforest, I suspect won’t be long and the clearcut will take care of the rest!

28. TorontoHabsFan says:

Anybody else kind of intrigued by Corey Stillman?

• Timo says:

When you say “intrigued”… how do you mean?

• kempie says:

I’ve been saying that for weeks but here’s what I think is happening (at least I hope). I think PG has a pretty good team with Cole & Patches in the top 6. The 3rd line of Eller, AK & DD has a lot of promise. With Moen, White, Darche & maybe Enqvist, that’s not a bad lineup & I’m not sure a guy like Stillman could bring much of anything that’s not already there.

I think PG is going to wait & see how it goes. I think he smells a chance this year to make a big push considering all the talent he has and about $5M in cap space left. That’s not money he could have blown on a UFA because, essentially, that’s Price’s money for next year. But this year, well that kind of $$ will buy some big rentals at the deadline or can be used to bring in a top 4 dman. It also serves as insurance against injury.

There’s a lot of chance involved. Emelin could be a nice top 4 guy or he could suck. Eller & Patches could keep getting better or PK & Price could get hurt. I think PG will give it 20 or 30 games to see what he needs but I believe that he will spend that $$, I doubt it will be on a guy like Stillman.

• SyntaxLove says:

On the other hand, Stillman’s exactly the type of player you want when someone gets injured. He’s still very versatile and consistent. The thought of Engqvist being called up once someone gets injured makes me weary. We’re already taking a chance on 4 young forwards. Stillman’s great insurance.

Chinchillin’

• kempie says:

Yeah, those are all good points and I’ve got nothing against Stillman. I watched him play his Jr. and he’s very consistent. I’m fairly surprised he hasn’t been signed yet. I just think it’s too early to make that kind of a move. The D has me somewhat concerned but until they play some games it’s tough to say.

• SyntaxLove says:

Yes. His name pops up at least once a week. It’ll be a shame if he doesn’t find an NHL job this season. I’d take him but there’s really no room if you want Desharnais and Eller to get the proper development time.

Chinchillin’

29. Everlasting1 says:

To all americans. Vote Ron Paul in 2012 for sanity’s sake. A principled leader with the credentials, common sense, and a sense for equality. Then witness his assasination. So it goes..

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Yeah… It’s always fun to vote in a guy with no platform.

• RGM says:

Worked in 2008 for Obama, and for Paul Martin in 2005, didn’t it? Well, 50/50 ain’t bad odds.

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

• Don’t know how either of those can be construed as without a platform, whereas Ron Paul answers every single question the exact same way: leave it to the states. Last time I checked that’s not a real answer, it’s a dodge. The only question he ever answers is whether or not he recognizes the theory of evolution, which he doesn’t.

• Everlasting1 says:

He doesn’t dodge the real issues. He’s tackling the crux of the problem. The Fed. He exposes that, he’s the best prez in history.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Best president in history before a day in office. Wow.

• RGM says:

Announcing that you’re going to revoke the use of the notwithstanding clause, five minutes after you scribbled it down on a napkin, does not constitute a platform. I left the Liberal Party over the 2005 election, simply because it had no direction under someone that was once thought to be a great successor to Jean Chretien. 200+ seat majority governments, indeed.

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

• HardHabits says:

WTF are you talking about?

Please visit –> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_positions_of_Ron_Paul

Sergio has made the right decision and listened to his Elder (that being me of course).

Ron Paul would be good for the planet. Bad for the Federal Reserve and the parasites that live off of it though.

• Everlasting1 says:

How’s Obama’s platform working? See an end in sight to the spending, wars, taxes?
        Ever heard of the Founding Fathers? Paul plans on dismantling the Federal Reserve. How’s that for starters? Returning troops, cut taxes, and stop meddling in other countries affairs.
        Even heard of him in 2008? Didn’t think so.. inflicted with Obama love.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• You’re not very good at this. Apparently calling down one candidate means you support another? Easier to argue when you get to make up what the other person supports eh?

• Everlasting1 says:

I’m debating with a 20 yr old. You know squat.
            Obama is supporting the status quo. There hasn’t been CHANGE and HOPE for a while now.
            YES WE CAN, amen. Hellelujah.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• You’re so hilariously inept. Charming that you think I’m only 20, that would still put me at about 4 years more education than you I’m guessing.

• where did andrew ever say he supported obama?

• Everlasting1 says:

You’re ‘educated’ I’m sure..with no learning curve.

• dhenry1234 says:

Upset with debating with a 20 year old? Well get used to it because we’re the future.

• although i respect paul, is there anything alex jones says that you disagree with?

• HabFanSince72 says:

Common sense?

Good one.

• dhenry1234 says:

The sheep will vote for who they’re told to vote for. And Ron Paul isn’t that person. Even if the Sheep do vote for him, there’s no way he wins and there will be some fake up with the vote and Obama will win.

• HNS says:

Ron “NutBag” Paul????

Assuming at me HF72, on my bberry this week can’t see who replies are to. I meant economically, Brazil is becoming a huge power in the world economy. They have their challenges but have incredible natural resources.

• Bripro says:

They’ll need to implement a sound political structure. And there’s not a single NHL hockey team in that country. Maybe we can ship Buttman there, and he can get lost as an endangered species in the Amazon.

Agree Gman, china and Brazil are big up and comers. Russia is a wild card with a handful of people controlling so much of the economic power there. Interesting to watch how China juggles its communism with a dash of capitalism!

32. HabFanSince72 says:

Apparently we offered Frederik Sjostrom a job but he snubbed us and is going back to Sweden instead.

Not sure why we wanted him.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

Sjostrom has a reputation for being a very good penalty killer. Personally, I think Gauthier should look at bringing back Andreas Dackell for the PK :D

@RGM, oh I don’t mean to discount Stamkos and Hedman, probably didn’t do a good job splaining. My point in general was, a tax advantage is only an advantage with good players if your team is competitive which clearly Tampa is. I think Yzerman will do anything he can to keep Stamkos and Hedman. Eventually just as Gomez contract hurt us last year the Leacavalier contract will hurt tampa. Last year Vinny was a very effective player so for now they ar ok.

• RGM says:

I get what you’re saying now, thanks for clarifying. The way it was initially written would be like saying about our own team, “Signing Price and Subban to long-term deals means the Habs will have no room for any UFA of significance.” But yeah, I do see your point about how signing Hedman/Stamkos // Price/Subban hamstrings the team in light of Lecavalier // Gomez deals being on the books for a while. That said, even with those albatrosses, if you can sign those elite-level players that you’ve groomed, that’s pretty good relative to going out and having to pay $6.5M per year for a James Wisniewski on the open market. I say that with no disrespect towards the Wiz, who is a cool guy for coming to my birthday party and all, but the open market can get a little goofy in early July.

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

34. REB says:

States with no income tax:

Alaska – no team
    Washington – no team
    Nevada – no team
    Texas – Dallas
    Florida – Tampa, Florida
    Wyoming – no team
    S. Dakota – no team
    Tennesse – Nashville
    New Hamphire – no team

note that Tenn and NH only tax dividend and interest, not income.

Most (if not all) states require the player to pay tax in the state where they earn their income. A player based in one of the above states would earn 50% of their income in their home state, and thus that 50% would be free of state income tax. The remainder of their income is distributed amongst many other states, for which they must file a tax return on each state (as a non-resident which = lower tax rate), only for the portion of their income earned in that state.

I do not know how this works with regards to Canada.

35. Jimmy9Toes says:

Went to the final WJHC scrimmage game last night in Fort McMurray. Gallagher was far and away the fastet skater on the ice. Very dangerous with the puck and played with an edge. Made a couple of nice hits and got into a little pushing match with D Hamilton. Hamilton ended up taking an extra minor on play as well. He kind of reminds me of Marchand a little bit. As for Bournival, he skates very well for his size and has nice hands. He did not look out of place and he should make the team. As for Beaulieu he didn’t play much. The biggest thing i remember about him was he was staring at the Anhem singers a$$ the whole time she sang. Got to give it to him as she was pretty smoking hot.

36. Hobie Hansen says:

No Question Cole will be huge for the Habs.
    Montreal now has two power forwards (Cole & Pacioretty) with a couple other big bodies (Kostitsyn & Eller) for their top three lines.

If (or when) a brawl game breaks out we’ll be picking our teeth and pride up off the ice but in regular action we’ll have the option to dump the puck in Cole or Pacioretty’s corner instead of only scoring off the rush.

Cole should also be great in front of the net on the PP or just driving to the net in general.

We still don’t have that certified goon that can come in handy on several occasions, as we saw last year, for real rough games.

In other news… markets suck.

• RetroMikey says:

Yup, the United States is no more the Global World Leader as once they were.
      Look out! Here comes Russia and China in the picture to take over as No. 1 on our planet.
      As for Canada? We’ll jump the bandwagon and start kissing our butts to these 2 up and coming countries and start a trade pact to save our own butts from financial disaster.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• huge_polar_bear says:

From Timo, I was at least expecting:

In other news… markets suck as does Habs management

Okay so Florida has a tax advantage, what good player wanting a cup would got to Florida as a UFA! In my opinion any player with real competitive drive doesn’t sign in Florida, Tampa yes, but if they retain Stamlos, Hedman longterm they will have no room for any UFA of significance.

Scott Gomez I would like to think has seen what has happened to Wade Redden and should be working hard to prove he won’t be the next multi millionaire AHL player. Like SD I got a feeling Gomez will have a strong year. He will never live up to the stupid contract Slats gave him, but he should be able to provide a strong 2nd line centre minutes with Mpac and Gio.

• SmartDog says:

>he should be able to provide a strong 2nd line centre minutes with Mpac and Gio.

If he can’t, he’ll be gone after this year. We’ve weathered the worst from this guy, at least I believe that’s true.

• RGM says:

Retaining Stamkos and Hedman long-term would be pretty significantly better than virtually any UFA on the market. You do realize that you’re putting a “Stamkos or ????” argument up as negative for the organization right?

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

39. SmartDog says:

HELP!

I can’t figure out how to change my photo. Can anyone help?

• kempie says:

FWIW, I’ve been meaning to comment on this photo. I think I remember you saying that it’s an actual photo of yourself. Whether or not that’s the case, I think the photo looks a lot like Patrick Warburton, the actor who played David Puddy on Seinfeld and who voices Joe Swanson on Family Guy.

• SmartDog says:

LOL
        It’s a good (flattering) picture I think….but it’s me. Picture me smaller. I’m almost 6′, 185, but I think Warburton is a big guy. Puddy was a great character. I didn’t know he was Joe Swanson. That’s awesome. Funny show.

• Bugs says:

Holy smokes; never noticed that was him and now I feel stupid for not realizing it earlier.
        I thought he was great in MIB II.
        “Hey, (kicks alien flower-head) the man’s talkin to ya.”

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• huge_polar_bear says:

You need to log into Gravatar using the same email that you set up on HIO. Then there will be an add photo link where you can add a picture, or chose one that you previously saved to Gravatar.

40. Say Ash says:

Patrick Kane to a 9-year-old at a youth hockey camp over the weekend:

“I told him I’m not going to take a picture with him because he had a Toews jersey on. He looked at me like I was nuts.”

Stay classy, Patrick.

41. SmartDog says:

WEIRD.

I have this strange optimism about the Habs. And part of it has to do with my pal Scott Gomez.

It goes something like this: with a healthy Markov (knock hockey sticks), and the addition of Cole, an emerging Eller and DD, we really do probably have a better team than last year – and some real discounts on the roster in Price and Subban.

And, I believe that Gomez is near the end of his leash so either he plays like a strong 2nd line center (60 points or so and a stronger overall game), or given the need to sign PK and Price next year, Gomez will be living out the rest of his contract in the minors. Or (even better), with only two years left on his contract, and a 2 million $ savings from cap space to real money, if he DOES play well this year, he becomes a much more tradeable commodity to some team wanting to reach the cap floor. When PK and CP are signed, there is no way the Habs can also carry a 7 million dollar 45 point player. So either way, whether Gomez puts up numbers or not, the Habs look good for the next two years and beyond. Nice!

• huge_polar_bear says:

Optimism on HIO…. how strange. ;o)

• SmartDog says:

Every thorn has its rose.

Since Gomez was signed, I’ve had trouble getting excited about the coming season, but as I see his situation working itself out one way or the other and with the really solid developing talent we have (how long’s it been since you could say that!) I’m really looking forward to the season.

• G-Man says:

Who are you and what did you do to SmartDog? :)

• SmartDog says:

I’ve been cutting down on my coffee consumption. I think that’s the problem.
        I’m going to change my avatar to see if I can get some of my angst back. I mean, being positive is fun for awhile, but then some Boston goon knocks out one of your best guys, the team flounders, and those morons go on to win the cup. Nice. I’m feelin’ it again!

42. RetroMikey says:

So, what’s the going rate for a player who scores 20 goals and 20 assists?
    What about 10 goals and 10 assists?
    What about 5 goals and 5 assists?
    Sure hope all these players we signed to big fat contracts produce.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• DearyLeary says:

Define ‘all these players’.

• RetroMikey says:

Let’s see….you do the research and get back to me. Well Gomer is one, you do the rest.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• RetroMikey says:

Technically speaking we are honoring his contract which legally means we are obligated and honored to his contract which he signed with the Rangers who flipped his contract to us which technically speaking he signed with us. Understand?

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Natrous says:

Good Lord man, there’s no point in trying to reason with this guy, he is one of those ‘fans’ who lumps signings, trades, drafts and other acquisitions into the same category of “mistakes by management”, and then looks for takers to side with him on his idiotic arguments. It’s a lose/lose to even try to help in this case unfortunately.

• oh i understand retro its just i like to read accuracy

understand?

• huge_polar_bear says:

Going rate for the Habs is equal to the going rate in the NHL x 1.5 or maybe 2. Because of (in no particular order as I’m sure it differs from player to player) MTL’s weather, tax situation, language issues, media attention, fan passion etc…

• SmartDog says:

I don’t believe this anymore. I’m not hugely familiar with other teams salary structures but the Habs must be doing okay to have the team they have AND carry the Gomez burden.

We have a lot of younger players at a bargain. Aside from Gomez our forwards are at most a little overpaid, and Pleks is worth more than the 5 mil he gets. Our D is very strong for the $ we spend, and when Spacek leaves his money will go to PK, keeping things about tje same as they are now. So I don’t buy this anymore. Each team has it’s attractive features, and its negatives. The Habs are attractive for their history, fans, and now, for having a strong team. So the tax situation is surely an issue for some but for many probably balances out.

Woah! Where did all this positivity come from? Maybe I should go back to bed.

• Malreg says:

Who are you, and what have you done with Smart Dog?!

I think the Canadiens do still have to overpay when it comes to signing unrestricted free agents, mostly because of the tax issue.

Teams like Florida and Tampa have a huge avantage in that department, since the state of Florida does not have a state income tax.

• Malreg says:

Potential death by collapsing bridges, tunnels, and overpasses.

43. PrimeTime says:

Should be an interesting day: US Stock Exchanges will plunge; the media will sensationalize it; people will point fingers at the politicians who in turn will redirect blame to other politicians; and in the end nothing will change until the US grows up and realizes that they need to start paying more for less.

• HardHabits says:

More like learn Americans need to learn to live within their means. As for paying more for less. They wont have much choice with the direction their dollar is heading.

We are in the early stages of the Decline of the American Dollar Empire.

• RetroMikey says:

The decline of our neighbors down south will effect us up here in Canada.
        If they fall, we could possible follow suit.
        But it won’t affect any professional millionaire athletes, they’ll live comfortably while the average Joe will struggle if jobs are being cut and trying to put food on the table for his family will be harder and harder if the average Joe loses his job and goes on green stamps.
        Yup, the life of a pro athlete is so good!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• SmartDog says:

And thanks to the Tea Party, the rich will still pay at a lower rate of taxes than the poor. Nice to be rich in America! Sucks to be among the (growing) poor though!

It’s almost too bad the Democrats won the last election. It would’ve been fun to watch the Republicans clean up all of Bush’s messes. What a f-d up place the US is now… thanks George!

• well had the republicans won, spending wouldnt be a concern since the tea party wouldnt have to feign outrage like they currently are

the debt ceiling would have been raised months ago

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Glad to see we have some economists on the job. Oh wait, you guys think Obama is doing a good job and the mean Republicans are terrorists for not wanting to go even further into debt. You can continue to blame Bush (not that there isn’t enough of that to go around) but three years later, Obama is ignoring the first law of holes. When you find yourself in one (even if you didn’t start it) STOP DIGGING!

• nice strawmen, never once did i say obama was doing a good job, never once did i call republicans terrorists, being said, the debt only became a concern to the right the moment a democrat got into office, if you disagree then show me where the tea partiers were during bush’s tenure, oh wait thats right, they were the sh[theads voting these guys into office and approving the wars which are why they are in the position they are right now

• HardHabits says:

The whole American economic system has stopped digging. Now they are filling the hole but while they are still in it, covering themselves with dirt at the same time. Buried alive if you get my drift. Two sides of the same worthless coin.

• bleedhabs81 says:

I believe the great Chief Clancy Wiggum once said:

“Nah Nah, dig up stupid”

• Talik Sanis says:

Uh- what? In 2009 around 43% of people didn’t pay taxes, due to their falling outside the lowest tax bracket. The highest earners are taxed at around thirty-three percent. Only fringe elements want the rich to pay no taxes (generally those who wish to abolish the income tax altogether). Many, however, do want to lower taxes across the board.

What follows is rather long (given the context) and I tend to ramble. Don’t go any further if you don’t want to know my (poorly and hastily expressed) political opinion.

As far as I understand it, the Tea Party (which is an heterogeneous collection of individuals who agree in general sentiment, such as a distaste for government, a professed support for individualism and a belief in Laissez-faire capitalism but have no formal, specific set of agreed upon policies i.e. no common desire for a flat tax, for instance, or removal of all taxes from the rich(?)) has the only sane position in the matter (whatever else their flaws of belief and ideology); they want to significantly lower spending. To me, and to them, it is a matter of simple and obvious logic that any increase to the debt ceiling should have been accompanied by significant spending cuts, but neither political party has been willing or able to secure such cuts.

Also, in my opinion, the issues that plague the United States derive from the common flaws in both political parties. Obama did not simply inherit a mass; he added to it. He did so through another mishandled stimulus package and the institution of new entitlement programs, when the United States could not even afford those programs it had already committed to support. The debt has increased more under the sitting president in less than four years than it did under Bush, and that should hardly be taken as a defense of, or compliment to, Bush; one need only examine his record of poor decisions and fiscal irresponsibility to know that. Fixing “Bush’s mess” or “Obama’s mess” is the same thing. Republicans and Democrats create the same mess for the same reasons; it’s just that different people, with different clout, cry foul.

Both parties are terrified of addressing the thorny issue of overspending because doing so will be extraordinarily unpleasant for the American people, thus causing political ramifications for the party that puts in place spending cuts. When Bush was overspending, there were those liberal elements (in political circles and the general populace) that derided his policies. Now they are all but silent, and the conservative elements of American society deride Obama (though to be fair, I have heard members of the tea party lambaste Bush’s idiocy on occasion, especially since we group Libertarians into the tea party). Through all this, neither party has the fortitude to address the ultimate issue, and a cyclical futility of blame and derision results.

• G-Man says:

This “crisis” was manufactured by the “Tea-brained” section of the GoP. The policy of “spend and spend” does not work. “Tax and spend” does, but try explaining that to someone with a Teabag for a brain.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I wondered how long it would take for the Murdoch Press to blame the downgrade on the “Tax And Spend Liberal” President.

One business day as it turns out:

• HardHabits says:

Lobbying interests jockeying for position. The American government borrows money from the Federal Reserve at interest and hands it out like candy to welfare corporate recipients. All at the expense of the tax-payer.

The Federal Reserve system is headed for collapse and a major reorganization of wealth is coming. Can you say Empire in Decline.

• Talik Sanis says:

To say that “tea-party” Republicans manufactured this crisis, which has been pending for decades, is hyperbole at best. The crisis is American debt, not what to do about the debt ceiling. Almost everyone in the Republican party proper knew that the debt ceiling needed to be raised, and were willing to raise it, if the actual crisis of American overspending could be dealt with. Tax and spend cannot work if one spends more than one can ever hope to take in through taxes. Even if the States liquidated ever rich person in the nation, they wouldn’t be able to cover their current level of spending.

Even those (in the party proper or the populace) who did secretly believe that the country could go on without an increase to the debt ceiling were not “economic terrorists” or “suicide bombers” (not that you called them that; I am merely responding to the rhetoric that has been used by individuals like Chris Matthews which goes in hand with blaming tea party Republicans for this crisis) anymore than Obama, Biden or Reid were five years ago when every Democrat voted against increasing the debt ceiling under Bush. The circumstances are different (we weren’t facing a credit downgrade, which almost everyone knew was tied more to our inability to pay back our existing debts than the debt ceiling issue, and this is the largest single increase to the debt ceiling in history, for instance) but so is the rhetoric.

What everyone claims to want and, when not in power, pushes for, is significant spending cuts in one area or another, but, through political jockeying and irresponsibility, both parties have manufactured the real crisis of debt.

• G-Man says:

They were arguing about money that is already spent, not about how to tax and spend wisely. The Tea Baggers only have shot themselves in the foot with their ignorance. instead of paying a little more tax, they are going to pay a LOT more interest.

44. The Dude says:

Half way thru the next season we’ll know for sure …hope Cole helps.

45. PEI Is wet, Go Habs Go

Shane Oliver
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

46. avatar_58 says:

I think he’ll make a huge difference. Not because he’s Cole – but because he’s not Moen or Darche. Any top 6 would help this team. It also makes a 3 way fight for the top 6 between Pacioretty, AK46 and Cole – lot’s of competition and drive for those spots.

The D is the same if Markov and Gorges are healthy. Yemelin, Diaz, Subban and Weber all trying to prove where they belong. Giggity

I’m actually excited for this year to start.

• RGM says:

There’s no fight to be had. Kostitsyn will begin the year on the 3rd line with the top 6 being some combination of Plekanec, Cammalleri, Cole, Gionta, Gomez, and Pacioretty.

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

• huge_polar_bear says:

I agree that AK should be on the 3rd line to work on his chemistry with Eller, but have you not seen our coach operate? He may start one day on the 3rd, then he’ll be switched with Max for a few games or shifts, then Cole will be on the third line, then Moen will be back on the first line… etc…etc… Have we really seen J. Martin ever leave the lines alone? I understand a lot of it was due to injuries, but I think he is a “tinckerer” and he will continue mixing and matching.

• G-Man says:

JM operates like any coach. He sees which players are on and makes moves or doesn’t accordingly. Bowman always had a shorter bench by the 2nd period, depending on who was performing and who wasn’t.

• avatar_58 says:

Why because people hate him? He’ll fight for that spot like everyone else. If AK46 starts tearing it up he needs to move up, likewise if Pacioretty or Cole slips. No spot is guarunteed and that’s how I like it.

• HardHabits says:

Why doesn’t Gomez need to fight for a spot? So throw Eller and Desharnais into the mix. Which potentially means a good solid 3 scoring lines.

• huge_polar_bear says:

Gomez does not need to fight for playing time because it’s all about optics. If they bench him or send him to Hamilton or downgrade him to the 3rd/4th lines then it makes the organization look bad from the point of view of the other players (both on the roster and potential future UFAs – as there is still a sence of entitlement once you become a mid aged veteran, now with the new CBA the older veterans are having a hard time finding work but that’s a different issue) and from the point of view of management that has invested time, money and effort in bringing Gomez to the Habs. That being said I think Gomez will be better this year because it’s hard to be worst then your worst year ever in the league….

Is it fair… Nope… just optics…

• athanor says:

Conversely, does it not make the organization look bad to keep a player whose production has tanked on one of the top two lines?
          Surely other players notice that as well.

• huge_polar_bear says:

Absolutely, but once again depends on the player right? Some would take it as “if I play in Montreal and if I have an off year it’s not the end of the world” = job security.
            On the flip side if I was a bottom 6 guy trying to push to become a top 6 guy it would infuriate me to no end….

• G-Man says:

A ten year + veteran makes the team based on his performance over his career, not the blip of 1 season. That is not true for a minor leaguer trying to make the team. Desharnais is a good case in point.
          Gomez will be better this season.

47. Habziefan09 says:

@ BJ : Is that what Burkie refers to as Truculence?

Twitter: Habziefan09

Confucius says: “Baseball has it all wrong, Man with 4 balls cannot walk!”

48. SmartDog says:

Dude, you took time to create an account to post that?
    Wow, you have even more time on your hands than Punkster!

***WARNING: Testing out new dog icons for the coming season. ***

49. Sean Bonjovi says:

How did you teach your dog to play chess?

“Andrei Kostitsyn is a better hockey player than Max Pacioretty”
    - Sean Bonjovi