How (and when) will the P.K. Subban Saga end?

Bergevin_001web

As the P.K. Subban Saga drags on, Canadiens fans are wondering when – or if – the restricted free-agent defenceman will ever put on a Habs jersey again.

Here’s what Subban told The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs about playing in Montreal:

“It doesn’t matter how many times I step on the ice at the Bell Centre, I have the same feeling every time: my head’s ready to explode, I want to kill somebody cutting across the blue line and I want to score the goal and celebrate. And I’ll do it by any means possible to win a hockey game. That’s how I feel playing there. I’m not sure I’d have that feeling anywhere else.”

Subban’s agent, Don Meehan, told Stubbs on Wednesday that he expects to have talks with Habs general manager Marc Bergevin before week’s end in a bid to move the file along.

“Subject to that meeting,” Meehan said cryptically, “we’d be in a position of being more defined than we are now.”

You can read Stubbs’s column on Subban by clicking here.

Canadiens coach Michel Therrien was asked about Subban’s comments at the team’s morning skate Thursday in Washington.

“Honestly, I don’t want to make any comments about it,” Therrien said. “I’m trying to concentrate on the guys that I got here. That’s my main focus.”

Stubbs’s column is the main feature in The Gazette’s Hockey Inside/Out section this week. Here are some other stories to get you ready for Thursday’s game in Washington against the Capitals (7 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN 690 Radio).

Habs add toughness, by Brenda Branswell

Habs learn secret to power-play success, by Pat Hickey

Habs’ travel plans in overdrive after lockout, by Pat Hickey

Caps goalie Neuvirth ready to face Canadiens, by The Washington Post

In new system, Caps must stick to basics, by The Washington Post

Capitals game preview

Two more floors for Habs condo tower, by The Canadian Press

Meanwhile, San Jose signed former Hab Scott Gomez to a one-year deal on Wednesday and he could make his debut in the Sharks’ home opener Thursday night against Phoenix. Read more by clicking here.

And get this, Gomez will be wearing Bob Gainey’s old No. 23 with the Sharks. Read more by clicking here.

(Photo by Dave Sidaway/The Gazette)

1. bwoar says:

Given that Dave Stubbs has said PK isn’t asking for Doughty money, I don’t see him leaving via trade or offer sheet. The Habs will match up to $6,728,781, say, and I don’t think many teams are gonna line up to toss that kind of cash at a kid in this scenario in any case.

Trade? Yeah right. Makes for great tweets maybe. Won’t happen.

“thoroughbred”

2. Habitforming says:

Imagine what it would have been like if the media coverage was the same when Ken Dryden held out for a full season in the 70’s to get a better contract.

This is ONLY week 1 for PK !

3. helluva habs fan says:

I wouldn’t go as far as calling P.K. an elite d-man, but he is certainly no flash in the pan. He is good. Very good. His best hockey is almost certainly ahead of him. Bite the bullet and get him signed.

EDIT. If it comes to a trade (shudder), anything less that a big top-6 center or a top 4 30-or-under d-man won’t cut it IMO. A proven top pair defenceman with superstar potential needs something proven in return.

4. Say Ash says:

Can somebody explain it to me, please? If you trade an unsigned RFA, what are you trading, exactly? The other team still has to work on signing the player, and is still susceptible to matching offer sheets?

• Habitforming says:

Your trading the rights to that player.

• Mattyleg says:

And then there are bonuses if he signs to that team, I believe.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Blondie says:

I think any conditions or bonuses are negotiated by the trading parties. I don’t believe that that sort of thing is covered in the CBA or NHL rules.

@Ash – As Habitforming says it’s the players rights that are traded. Therefore any offer sheets that may come in from other teams can be matched by the team you traded his rights to.

5. HABitat4humanity says:

PK will sell a ton of Molson Beer & tickets. Give the man a contract already. $4.9 mil over 4 years. He is worth 1 mil more than Georges & not too much less than Markov.

• Strummer says:

The Molson Centre will sell out whether PK is playing or not.

Patrons will drink beer whether PK plays or not.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

6. gerrybell says:

i’ve learned one thing from following the habs on a daily basis since 1993 – if we put all this coverage and press on players they fall apart and get traded.

how about this – ignore this issue and let it play out. the more it is covered the more likely Berg is to feel the pressure and trade our top d guy for the next 10 years away for less than fair market value.

g
    b

7. duffy says:

I am thinking the hold up is that they have to widen the locker room door so PK can get his head throug it.

8. ooder says:

i’m starting to get the feeling that subban and markov are mutually exclusive

——————
    The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

9. Habsrule1 says:

Boggles the mind that some on here don’t see PK’s value. There should be some rule that if you don’t watch, or understand the game, you don’t post.

I have to believe Bergevin does watch and understand, so he will get this done. I don’t care about term, but PK is going to get 5M per season.

• ZepFan2 says:

I’ll repeat it.

No player is greater than the team!

———————————————————————-
      Ka is a wheel.

For Your Life

• Habsrule1 says:

Who is saying he’s greater than the team? He wants what he feels he deserves.
        I guess you’d let your employer walk all over you.

Even if he’s asking for too much. The point is he thinks he is worth “X”. If you thought you were worth “X”, you would not want to be paid “K”.

Nothing to do with being “greater than the team”.

I can’t believe I have to get upset about these things!

• ZepFan2 says:

You should read your sig more often.

PK is acting like he’s better than Patches, Price and Gorges. Hell I’ll even add Markov. He (Markov) has stated he loves Montreal and wants to play for the Canadiens (sound familiar?), the difference between the two, Markov backed up what he said by signing a decent contract.

“Nothing to do with being “greater than the team”.”

I disagree and I’m sure some of his teammates are starting to feel the same.

———————————————————————-
          Ka is a wheel.

For Your Life

• Habsrule1 says:

There’s no reason to not sign PK for slightly less than Markov is making, which would be right around 5M. Stubbs has already confirmed he’s not asking for Doughty money.

And I don’t want them to listen to the fans. I want them to do what will most help this team. If you can’t see that what will most help this team is to sign PK for about 5M, I can’t help you any more.

Oh ya, and PK is better than Gorges & Patches…close to Markov, and just below Price.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

How old are you for God’s sake….you sound like your opinion is the one that matters and no one else on here has a right to have one. I’ve been a Habs fan for 40 plus years and can see both sides to some extent and while I’d prefer that Subban signs I also think there may be reasons why he hasn’t been able to get that contract that some off us aren’t privy to. Possibly he isn’t the most liked on the team…I’ve experienced mega egos in life and they really aren’t that popular within a group. We ought to give this time and see how it works out. There are people handling this that knows what they want in the end and one way or another it will reach a conclusion.

I don’t comment often but your comments sounded so juvenile.

• Habsrule1 says:

Hey…thanks for commenting. Welcome to the debate!
            I’m plenty old enough if you’re talking to me. Unfortunately not everything is debateable.
            PK is the most exciting player the Habs have had in 30 years. The right thing to do is sign him for 5M or less. If he’s asking for more, so be it, but there’s no denying that trading him would be a mistake, if it’s simply because Bergevin wants to bully him into a 2 year contract at a lowball price.

• The Jackal says:

I agree Zep, but PK is not saying he is greater than the team, only that he wants to be compensated for his level of production on the ice, which is the highest on the team, maybe besides Price.

Not all oysters produce pearls, thankfully, Price is a pearl producing oyster.

• ZepFan2 says:

Yet Price took the bridge contract. By saying no to a bridge contract -just like other teammates took- he’s basically saying he’s better than the team. This is just my opinion, it doesn’t make it fact.

I hope PK signs and we all move on to the next phase in the Habs journey.

———————————————————————-
          Ka is a wheel.

For Your Life

• Habsrule1 says:

I totally agree Jackal. I don’t get the premise that if Price and Patches did it, PK should do it or he’s not a team player.
          Maybe it makes him more of a team player because he can change this mentality and other who follow will also reap the benefits…?

• ZepFan2 says:

It sends the message that he thinks he’s better than those players you mentioned.

———————————————————————-
            Ka is a wheel.

For Your Life

• Habsrule1 says:

Look, fair enough. We disagree.

I just look at it in the way that just because a co-worker takes a pay cut or accepts that he didn’t get a raise (examples) to help the business, me pressuring the company for a raise does not make me “not a team player”. I’d simply be looking out for my best interest.

• Mattyleg says:

Hey, I think I understand Ice Horckey pretty well.

You skate, you get points for hitting the ball, the judges penalize you if you fall down, and if the red light goes off before the ‘punk’ slides into the red target, then it’s a ‘try’.

We should also trade PK.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• La Duke 16 says:

PK is certainly charismatic – but not a top 20 D-Man in the league. He is not even the best D-Man on the team.

He might be in 3 years, but we need to pay him what he is worth now – $4MM tops.

• The Jackal says:

Respectfully, you don’t know what you are talking about here. He is the best on the team, for sure, and is above top-60, and will be better than top-20.

Not all oysters produce pearls, thankfully, Price is a pearl producing oyster.

• Stevie.Ray says:

He was 16th in toi last year. He is a puck mover and can lead a rush. He can score on the pp. he can play the PK. And he is A top end damn in BOTH ends (stats prove). And he is loved by fans, sticks up for teammates, gives out huge hits and wants to be in Montreal. How many players in the NHL can you say that about? Weber, chara, doughty, and then the list starts to drop off.

• coutNY says:

Boggles mind that you think PK’s value is one of elite defensive status without actually proving it… It’s an opinion.

Elite players elevate others who play around them… Kovalev is the perfect example of having elite talent but never being able to translate it into being an elite player.

You have your opinion and others have theirs, they really don’t mean much more than its part of the the court of public opinion. Be happy not everyone has the same opinion! What a dull world it would be…. ;-)

10. The Jackal says:

I would add this as an edit but I’m on my phone.

I know its very easy to label PK as selfish and as not a team guy, but those of you turning on him or suddenly saying he is not as good as he is or as valuable to the team as he is are mistaken.

Price, Patches, and Gorges took bridge contracts, sure. But the situation is different, PK is already at the elite level, those guys had decent seasons their first 2 years in the show.

With PK you get a guy who always gives 100% and is not put off by the pressure here. He produces in every circumstance and his teammates, unlike the stupid rumours, would say he always shows up to play. He deserves the big bucks, how is this even a debate??

• joeybarrie says:

PK is already at the Elite level????????????
      WHAT?
      HOW?
      He has more penalties than anyone else. is in the mid range for points, and his shooting percentage is pretty bad.
      He plays great minutes, and is good on both the PK and PP.
      BUT ELITE???????????????
      he has elite potential, and thats a stretch in my opinion as it is.
      He will become a top defenseman. THATS IT.

• Loonie says:

Pk isn’t elite but your comment below that he’s proved nothing is in my opinion, far more ridiculous than calling him elite will ever be Joey.

How’s the crap on Subban wagon treating ya?

• The Jackal says:

Tom, I’d have to argue with you that he IS elite. Maybe now he his talent-level is just elite, but I would say he has manifested it in his play as already being elite.

Not all oysters produce pearls, thankfully, Price is a pearl producing oyster.

• ed lopaz says:

Joey, you can add 100 question marks.

People who know hockey, know Subban is one of the top 20 d-men in the league – a league of 180 starting d-men.

That makes him Elite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• jmsheehy19 says:

He is, right now, a top 30 defensemen in the league. Both in stats and in play.

Is he top 10? No. But he is ahead of where Patches and Price were when they took their 2nd contract.

• Habsrule1 says:

Number 1 defenseman last year at 22 for the Montreal Canadiens. He’s gotten almost 40 points on a very offensively-challenged team. He plays all the important minutes for his team.
        Many of those penalty minutes are taken standing up for his teammates. He’s the most exciting player the Habs have had in about 30 years.

I really don’t know if all that makes him elite, but it makes him one heluva defenseman with HUGE upside and unlimited potential.

• ed lopaz says:

it is not even debated around the league how good Subban is and will be. only here by Habs fans who believe anything they say negative against Bergevin is mutiny.

• B says:

In Subban’s 1st season, the Habs tied for 13th in G/G. Not the greatest, but fair to say average offensively.

In Subban’s 2nd season, however, the Habs dropped to 19th in G/G (still in the middle 3rd but looking worse) and their PP dropped from 7th to 28th (ouch!). In a panic, they brought in Kaberle to try and help the PP because they were lacking a PP QB. Subban’s production did not increase along with his extra responsibilities.

–Go Habs Go!–

• The Jackal says:

Joey, I beg to differ, as you can tell. He draws the most penalties, and his number of penalties will fall as he matures. He is already an elite talent, and will continue to develop. He is an elite guy, plain and simple.

Not all oysters produce pearls, thankfully, Price is a pearl producing oyster.

• ed lopaz says:

its not a debate for people who know their hockey.

• La Duke 16 says:

Trade PK for a top 3 forward. His head is too big for the locker room, and I don’t see it getting any smaller in the future.

I like the idea of a team, not a bunch of individuals.

The cap is really going to get tight next year and the teams that are successful are the ones that are going to have room to deal with the Teams that are too top heavy.

• The Jackal says:

That’s a ridiculous statement, PK is part of the TEAM, and he is a integral part of it.

Not all oysters produce pearls, thankfully, Price is a pearl producing oyster.

11. frontenac1 says:

Marc looks so sad and lonely sitting there all by himself. Pk should go and sit beside him to cheer him up and make friends. Then they could make a deal!

• Mattyleg says:

Subban brings him a cup of Tim Horton’s, they chuckle, share Timbits, and make a deal while wistful music plays!!

I can see it now! It’s gold!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

12. Strummer says:

Sean Gordon makes some interesting points in this morning’s Globe and mail;

“Bergevin is facing the biggest decision of his short tenure, and it’s not hard to see why he would play hardball.

The whole league is watching, not just because special attention is being paid to curbing fat second contracts in the new world order, but because Subban could set the market for elite young defencemen like Ryan McDonagh and Alex Pietrangelo, whose entry-level deals come up next summer.

Bergevin also has to consider his cap picture two and three years down the road, when he could be negotiating second deals for a pile of players including Alex Galchenyuk, Brendan Gallagher, Jarred Tinordi, Nathan Beaulieu, Michael Bournival and Louis Leblanc.

Having dealt with the albatross that is Scott Gomez’s contract, Bergevin has cleared cap space to sign Subban and, if he gets a team-friendly deal, still have some dosh left over to add pieces if the Habs suddenly become contenders in the next couple of seasons, which isn’t as far-fetched as it sounds.

Bergevin has shown he’s not afraid of making tough decisions, and that he can be a slick negotiator (they should build a statue to him for Max Pacioretty’s contract extension alone).”

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Loonie says:

If he were to give Subban more than two years it shouldn’t be seen as a mistake.

And if he ever runs into a situation again where he has a player on their entry level deal play 2 of the 3 years as his best defenseman, he can worry about it then.

Incredibly unlikely though.

13. Luke says:

Here’s McKenzie’s comment re: PK & Trade.

“I think it’s ultimately heading toward a trade,” said McKenzie. “They’re just too far apart on the term of the contract – P.K. wants long, the Canadiens want two years – and they’re probably at least $2.5 to $3 million per year apart on where they want to be. Ultimately I think this ends up in a trade.”

14. brandonhab19 says:

These are in my opinion, and some others, the top ten Dmen in the NHL
    Shea Weber 7.5 Mil
    Zdeno Chara 8.5 Mil
    Drew Doughty 6 Mil
    Erik Karlsson 6.5 Mil
    Ryan Suter 7.5
    Duncan Keith 5.5
    Dany Boyle 6.6
    Kris Letang 3.5

You honestly believe that Subban deserves to be paid as much as these guys? His numbers, and overall play don’t hold a candle to these guys. These players are the elite defensemen in the NHL. They have earned their contracts. The way PK needs to go out and earn his. Until he proves he can be one of these guys, he needs to accept he won’t get paid like one.

Accept 3 million for 2 years show the team you deserve your elite contract then sign it.

• Loonie says:

So he’s a locker room cancer and not elite. Anything else?

• brandonhab19 says:

When it comes to contract talks there shouldn’t be anything else. Well and numbers, lets look at those too.

Subban
        Last season 7 goals not inside top 30 for defenseman
        Season before 14 was good enough for top 10
        Overall points
        Last season 36 Good enough for top 30
        Season before 38 Just good enough for top 30
        All players in front of him had better PPG than Subban.
        Only thing Subban has led defensemen in?
        Penalty Minutes

How do these numbers garner 6 million dollars?

• wild flower says:

I doubt the Jets would trade Zack Bogosian even up for Subban. I would. After his entry level, he signed two years with a 2.5 cap hit. In many ways he is a better player than Subban. Subban mania just shows that a lot of non-hockey people follow the Habs and feed the hype.

• The Jackal says:

No way man, it’s the other way around – stop drinking the TSN koolaid.

Not all oysters produce pearls, thankfully, Price is a pearl producing oyster.

15. RetroMikey says:

Game notes for tonight’s game against Washington

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

16. B says:

Subban is a league leader, in his 2 seasons he easily led the league in minor penalties both seasons.

–Go Habs Go!–

17. The Jackal says:

Putting aside the speculated figures, the facts are clear. PK is uber talented, he will be a star, and is already a franchise player, and he is elite in every facet of the game. On top of that, he relishes the opportunity of playing in Montreal and embraces the pressure – something that has made many talented players reluctant to sign here. And now we find ourselves in a contract struggle with this guy!? What a joke! He should be locked up for life ASAP!
    Not only is he elite but he breaks the typical boring hockey player mould. Maybe the oldtime hockey folks don’t like that, but PK is good for the entire sport, just like Crosby is a crowd attracter, so is PK. He is the face of the new NHL – talented, tenacious, and entertaining.

• IamShepherd says:

Here is the problem with ‘Elite’ players. This sport will always be a team sport. There was never a time when one player won a championship. Even Gretz had help with Messier, Kurri, Fuhr, Coffey, etc. Just look at Ovy, Kovy, the Sedins, etc. If a player demands more than he is worth than trade him. P.K you are talented but haven’t played long enough to warrant what you’re asking. There is no ‘I’ in TEAM…

18. wild flower says:

Subban does some nice things and is physical. He also has limited hockey sense and an overrated point shot (ridiculous and very predictable wind-up). I’m not convinced that backwards scissor skating will help the Habs win the cup. If you like to see Habs on George Stroumboulopoulos, he is your man.

19. Loonie says:

I’d be shocked if this didn’t end with an offer sheet.

20. BK says:

No one is ripping Jamie Benn’s character or the avalanche’s RFA either. And this kid wants to play here long term with this stupid media and constant fans flip flopping?

Time for changes

21. habs-hampton says:

Under the new CBA, can the PK negotiations go to arbitration?

• Mattyleg says:

I was told on here that arbitration only ever happens during the summer. It’s a particular period, I believe.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• B says:

So if they can’t agree this season and there is no offer sheet, then perhaps they can just take him to arbitration after this season? I don’t think they ever get more than a 2 year deal out of arbitration.

–Go Habs Go!–

• 4loorplay says:

I I I ME ME ME Subban seems to be lead that he is above teamates and that he should push the envelope futher than the rest in the room. SAD!

22. IamShepherd says:

The more P.K talks during this negotiation, the more he seals his fate.

You need to recognize what team you are playing for. This is the most storied franchise is SPORTS history. Yes you had a great first two years, however; just how much do you think you are worth??? You need to play more than two years to prove yourself in this league young man. Your best interests should be of the team at this point. What’s a two year contract at almost 3 times what you started with? Stop wining and sign the contract. Have a great two years then sign long term. Otherwise we’ll see you in another jersey in no time…

23. Marcusman says:

Can’t see why they all can;t agree on a 6 yr deal starting at 3 Million with $500k raises every yr. it’s exactly what he and his potential are worth.

24. joeybarrie says:

Its astonishing to e that they can be 3 million dollars apart.
    So PK is in fact, according to BM, asking for over 6 million per year.
    Unless the Habs are under 3 million, which I doubt.

Who is going to pay PK 6 million?
    If they are so far apart, why doesnt PK look at any offer sheets that have come in?
    If any have come in………
    Meehan is diluted thinking he is worth 6 million.

PK will sit for awhile, cause if a team has to give im 6+million, how much are they willing to trade to get a guy who wont sign for uner 6M???
    This is getting pretty ugly.

Still dont understand why the kid wont sign a short term deal to prove his worth.
    Price did it.
    Gorges did it.
    After two seasons, he thinks he is the exception?
    No offense to PK but I do not believe he is as valuable to us as Price is.
    Meehan is crazy.

• kirkiswork says:

Agree 100%

• Mattyleg says:

Where did you get that figure?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• ZepFan2 says:

“Price did it.
      Gorges did it.”

Patches also did it.

It feels like PK thinks he’s better and worth more than his teammates. I always thought on a hockey team the Goaltender was the key guy, just like the QB is in football.

———————————————————————-
      Ka is a wheel.

For Your Life

• joeybarrie says:

I think he has MONTREAL GLASSES on.
        I have them. I believe his potential.
        I believe we will be a great team and the Bourque can score 25 goals a season.
        I believe the possibility.
        PK seems to be pricing himself to his potential without having realized it.
        And his agent seems to be helping.
        I agree with BM. Headed to a trade, and it wont be to a great team.
        I think MB wants what he wants, and is willing to wait for it, unlike our previous management.
        BG was a GREAT Hab. I still love the idea of him as our GM. THE IDEA. But he rushed and got less than he should have for a lot of assets we had.
        Hopefully MB will not let his hand be forced.

25. brandonhab19 says:

I don’t want Subban back on this team. I feel his mouth and atitude are far greater than his skill. Don’t get me wrong he is a good player. But how often has it been said its a locker room cancer? Fighting DD51 last year. Getting into it with assistant captain and NHL veteran Hal Gill. His comments as of late make him bigger than the team. No player should ever do that. If he feels he should be paid accordingly then why can’t he sign a two year deal and prove he deserves it. Like Pacioretty did like Price did. Subban still has trade value, and he should be dealt while he does.

• joeybarrie says:

“I’ve accomplished a lot for someone who’s only 23. I’m playing in one of the best markets in the NHL. To me, it seems like a pretty easy situation: you have a guy who wants to be there, for a long time, who actually thrives on playing in the pressure of Montreal. I don’t think there could be any more pressure than what I’ve had playing here the last two years.”
      What have you accomplishe PK?
      30th in D scoring?
      Most PIM in the league for a Dman?
      Playing top minutes while our top dman was injured.
      Your a kid. To be honest he hasnt really done anything yet.
      Potential isnt actual.

They need to get their heads out of the clouds, and go team first. Seems all about PK to me.

• Loonie says:

Funny that Subban was competing hard in practice during his altercation with Desharnais.

Even funnier that people have a problem with it.

• derfab says:

This is his team, not ours. And he is not just good. He is Norris Trophy good. Habs are already in damage control mode, simply demonstrating that they continue to struggle at handling their most rare commodity: talent.

26. HabsFansince49 says:

Stands to reason that Gomez is wearing #23.
    On the PK situation, I’m afraid I agree with MB on this one as much as I like Subban. No player is greater than his/her team.

27. j2w4habs25 says:

You really think PK will be traded? whoever does, its not going to happen. Montreal is best known to let crazy shit happen to the organization. But PK Subban trade is way beyond than crazy. Bergvin is going to sign him, he just wants to lower it as much as possible. Lets have them worry about it while we worry about the game tonight. That is most importantly directed at the players – lets not worry about it. Both side have it said that both Want PK to play in Montreal and with that being said – lets not have to worry.

Carey Price #31

• habs-fan-84 says:

Your sentiments would have been correct in the summer, but at this point do not think that anything is possible…you just may find yourself surprised.

28. Sportfan says:

For the love of god just sign him already this speculation is giving me a headache I don’t think we can afford to trade him so DO IT AND SIGN HIM!!! SOrry haha

29. RetroMikey says:

Colorado media guide is out for anyone interested.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Habsrule1 says:

If nobody else is interested in the Habs version, why would we be interested in the Avalanche’s?

30. Captain aHab says:

Didn’t quite get what Marinaro was talking about a few minutes ago but he seemed to be saying that Subban and Meehan were going to have a media call in a few minutes….is this a joke?

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

31. rhino514 says:

Wow
    McKenzie believes it is heading towards a trade!
    This boggles the mind. a situation where PK had almost no leverage; it´s almost impossible for a deal not to get done; he is lsing tens of thousands of dollars each game he doesnt play. Incredible that this could happen

• Loonie says:

The notion that Subban has little to no leverage ignores his contract status completely.

• krob1000 says:

His leverage is he can hold out…or sign an offer sheet….the Canadiens leverage is they can choose to match any offer, or force him to sit out….. upper hand in this situation given there is not really much pressure on a new gm to win after finishing 3rd worst in the entire NHL….Gm and Canadiens.

• Loonie says:

He can sign with any team that presents an offer sheet that forces the Habs’ hand.

If no contract offers come along he definitely has little leverage, I find it hard to believe though that he’ll go much longer without giving a rival team’s offer serious thought.

• joeybarrie says:

He has very little leverage. Its known what he wants. Its very doubtful any team will give it to him. Any team thats going to challenge in the next 5 years.
            He isnt playing, and that only hurts him.
            He wants Karlsson money and has HALF the numbers.
            Thats why he has no leverage and thats why he will sit for a while.
            OR we get our value in him. And i think we value his potential quite high. Its not going to end quickly, unless his agent can start acting like a good agent.
            I said it before. Lidstrom didnt get a huge pay day until he was 28. He has twice the point PK did, and won the Norris trophy.
            WHAT HAS PK DONE?
            NOTHING….
            I love him. I love his flair, his play, his potential. I love my players in the CH. But to me get back to reality.
            cause you are gonna sit until you do.

• Habfan10912 says:

His leverage significantly improves in two years. Then he has a bigger hammer.

———————————–

32. durocher says:

I’d like PK to stay, though if Bob McKenzie is right that the situation is moving towards a trade, I’m considering what our possibilities are to get a good return (i.e., not the return we got for Roy or Halak). What say you to the following:

PK to Philly for Couturier, Coburn, and a 1st

33. habstrinifan says:

OK! I gotta get off my a… and go somewhere but I have the definitive word on P.K.

I googled “p.k. latest news” and got all the latest scoop.
    P.K’s in Pakistan!

Google for yourself!

34. Old Bald Bird says:

Is anyone else getting random hyperlinks on various pages, not just here? For example, Lars Eller somewhat below, is hyperlinked to a Fantasy League page. Somebody says nice job, and job is linked to a work site. This has just happened in the last few days, and is obviously some sort of automated thing. I am running Firefox.

Will be interesting to watch Capitals tonight, clearly the big contract Ovechkin signed has done nothing to hinder his play. Seems to me he has improved dramatically each and every year since signing it.

This has no correlation to any particular player who may or may not be seeking a large contract with a pro hockey team based in the province of Quebec.

36. bwoar says:

Just logging in because PK will not be traded, but signed. To answer the question posed in the title of this thread. When? Late February or early April.

“thoroughbred”

37. Propwash says:

I’ll just leave this right here…

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

38. Strummer says:

It is really cold in the GTA- as well as in the rest of Eastern Canada.

HOW COLD IS IT?

___________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

39. Dr.Rex says:

MB takes an early 7-0 lead.

40. shiram says:

Let’s trade 2 23 year old who show the promise of improvement! Afterall it’s not like I’ve been reading on here for years that the Habs mismanage their youths….

41. lavie says:

It seems that both sides have shown their run-away baselines and there are still big gaps. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=414354

If Subban family doesn’t compromise a trade is inevitable.

Lars Eller should be benched or traded!

(okay hoping this might shake us free of PK talk)

43. Dr.Rex says:

Ultimately I think the habs should sign PK. And really I think a fair bridge deal would be 2 year/4.25 per.

But if MB had to deal PK what would you think of the following deal?

Subban/Eller for Couturier/Coburn

44. Sportfan says:

ALRIGHT so off the PK topic this is Oilers related. I want your opinions on this what do the Oilers need to fix there Goaltending, or the D. I feel that the Oilers have so many talented forwards that if they are no careful they could lose half of them if they don’t start winning. So where do they need help I say Goalie but a lot of people think Dubnyk is good enough.

45. Sportfan says:

I would only support a PK trade now if it was for a top D coming the other way if not frankly I don’t want to even consider trading PK this whole situation is getting over blown, he really needs to sign so it can just stop and focus on the game itself.

46. Mattyleg says:

Holy Moses!
    Apart from one or two of you, what is this, the Remedial Thread?!

NEW THREAD PLEASE!!! The zombies are climbing onto this one, and, worse still, they’re talking!

“Braaaains… traaaade Suuuuban…braaaaains….”

Mind you, they certainly need brains…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

47. ooder says:

Pk just sais what every hockey player thinks. You know who else held out.. iginla
    Doubt he is ciewed as a selfish pos.
    Pk is a great talent that also has personality and flare .
    ——————
    The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

• habsnyc says:

from Iginla’s wikipage: “Hoping to help resolve the contract impasse, he agreed to attend training camp without a contract, and purchased his own insurance as the team would not have been responsible financially if he suffered an injury.”

In my opinion, Iginla ranks near the top of the league in leadership, class and humility. He is a team centric unselfish player with a great attitude and is universally respected.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• joeybarrie says:

I guess except for the time when he dared Theoren Fleury to drive the bus (with 9 players) to the airport so they can fly to Vegas the day before a game in LA. The players almost didnt make it back to LA in time and were lucky to charter a flight back to LA. They did go straight to the pre game skate, and win 5-2……..

• habsnyc says:

If Fleury, Iginla and half the team go to Vegas on an off day, that is their business. Besides, Fleury was generally the ringleader when it came to off ice activities. I find it preposterous that a rookie would able to force the team leader to drive a bus.

Despite having spent a day in Vegas, I still think Iginla is one of the most classy players in the NHL.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• joeybarrie says:

Jarome Iginla, also Meehan’s client, held out.
      He only got a big increase when he was 25 and just had a 50+ goals season and scored almost 100 points.

• habsnyc says:

He held out at age 21 after he scored 28 goals in his third full season in the NHL.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• nunacanadien says:

Iginla is just what the habs need. I wonder if Meehan would offer a trade. So you screwed us over Halak and made Markov a hypochondriac, just what have the habs ever done to Meehan where he is trying to basically destroy this team with bad signings….and the team is full of bad signings….symptom that Molson and not Bergevin pull the strings. Why is Molson screwing this team up and why is Meehan so eager to also screw the habs?

48. Hobie Hansen says:

I don’t want to talk about it but it’s looking like it’s becoming a possibility, PK Subban being traded. If I had to put a percentage on it I’d guess there’s a 30% chance he gets traded.

Now if he gets traded, it better be to a Western Conference team and we better walk away the winners of the trade. Nobody was expecting the Canadiens to make the playoffs with or without Subban this season so there is no rush to get him in uniform.

So he either signs for closer to what the Canadiens want to pay him, he sits for the year or we trade him for a huge return. There are no other options.

• Habsrule1 says:

Actually, some of us thought the Habs would make the playoffs with Subban, given a healthy Gionta & Markov, and the development of other players.

Without him, I can’t see it happening.

• nunacanadien says:

In the old Habs/Meehan blinking game, so far we’ve lost Halak. Wonder if Subban will be next. Ok Meehan why can’t you just stop trying to screw the habs?

49. habs-fan-84 says:

I believe there was a time, great players would take a discount to play in Detroit as they were almost assured to go deep in the playoffs each and every year.

As Price07 just mentioned, it was refreshing to see Pacioretty sign the deal he did especially after the season he just had.

I really hope Subban can keep the TEAM in mind during this process. At the end of the day though, this team is MUCH better with PK in the lineup than without (assuming his personality doesn’t piss off the rest of his team mates).

• joeybarrie says:

I think we are really putting PK right now where he could be in 5 years.
      We are talking about him like he is already Larry Robinson.
      Forget the nonsense about his talking, locker room demeanor, attitude. blah blah blah. MB is not looking at this. The media is. Its mostly made up nonsense.
      What he is looking at, what we so quickly forget is PK has 245 penalty minutes in 2 seasons.
      He leads the entire league in PIM for a Dman.
      He lands in the 25-30 range in scoring.
      His shooting percentage in among the leagues lowest.
      among other things.
      I am not trying to BASH him. I think because he has a lot of potential and is a already a fan favorite here in Montreal, its assumed he should get the money he will deserve should he REACH said potential.
      He will get paid what he is worth, when he is worth it.
      Right now he is still young, and finding consistency in his game.
      He is absolutely wasting his time, and ruining a very good chance to prove himself.
      Both sides need to budge a little and make something happen.
      Ill say it again, to me Meehan is the one ruining his client.
      Nicklas Lidstrom didnt make over 2 million dollars a season until he was 28. He was still averaging double PKs numbers.
      Also Meehan’s client.

50. Price07 says:

Time to trade PK. He’s an idiot. Yaya he’s a great player all you guys think it will be a mistake. Thing is, he’s a pain in the ass and eventually they will have no choice to trade him and by then his value will be down because he will have pissed everyone off.

At this point he can still bring us back something good. This guy isn’t even taking his own agent’s advice and taking the deal. He wants to be paid what he thinks he’s worth. Don’t we all? We all think we’re worth more than our employers think we’re worth. Pacioretty has a 33 goal season and takes 4.5 million (what a team guy). Subban after 2 years in the league thinks he’s worth tons. Ya he plays tons of minutes on a piece of sh*t team! He played with old man Gill, Kaberle (sucks), Diaz Emelin and Weber (rookies), now retired Spacek…ya sure he played tons of minutes.

You guys are all being fooled…if Bergevin can get something good back I’d back his decision 100%.

• Propwash says:

PK is more of a help than a hinderence to the team. They are on record as saying there is no interest in trading him.

____________________
      DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• toneez says:

I too am a huge PK Fan and my 1st impression of him a couple of years back was he is the most exciting player to have put on a Habs uniform since Guy LaFleur , however his antics are definately growing old, if the greats like Geoffrion , Beliveau Richard’s , Lafleur were not above the team then neither is PK , I too believe that if this is indeed his attitude, then its time to part ways with him and get a team player to take his place , I just hope that in the end its just media hype and he really is a team player and decent person, and that he’s a Hab for a long time ….

All Habs all the Time

51. habsnyc says:

PK said “I don’t think there could be any more pressure than what I’ve had playing here the last two years.” What pressure? They lost in the first round and finished second to last those two seasons.

From this article I would conclude that PK has a very strong sense of self worth. His world revolves around him, not the team. Based on what he said, I would conclude that PK would be more excited to make a flashy play and lose than be unnoticed and win.

If this article represents the true PK Subban, I would strongly support trading him. It is possible that his statements were taken out of context and he really is a team player. Nonetheless, for someone so obsessed with their own value, PK should refrain from statements detrimental to that value.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

52. timothy13 says:

The more I read about PK the more disappointed I get and the reason is MONEY. Sure the kid is good and will no doubt be an excellent player in a few very short years but already his EGO is pretty BIG. Yes Subban deserves a raise but not a huge amount. The more the raise is the more damage it can do to the guy’s mind and in the end distort his play. I support the GM’s toughness so play hardball because the future of this team depends it!!

53. wall2bay says:

Question: If PK was a “Gars chez Nous” would this saga be still going on this long?

Answer: Hell no cuz the french media would have MB’s head.

54. Phil C says:

One of the problems with the PK situation is that he was not very good at the beginning of last year. He was a healthy scratch a little over a year ago due to inconsistent play. He was even in plus/minus up until the end of Feb, then finished at +9 for Mar and Apr when the Habs were out of it. He only had two power-play goals up to the end of Feb despite getting 1st pairing minutes all season. Markov has that already this year.

Yet from January forward, we all saw a change in PK’s game. He became more defensively responsible, made more conservative decisions with the puck, and increased his physical play. He really did start playing like an elite two-way defenseman.

So which PK would we get this year? Probably the guy in the second half of the season, but I can understand the Habs’ hesitancy to bet the farm on it.

If you look at the Habs’ cap situation, they don’t have a lot of money to spend next year, but they have a lot of money coming off the books after next year. If PK can play this year and next like he played the last fours months of last season, he will be in a position for a huge payday and the Habs would be in a position to give it to him. For this reason, I think a two year deal makes the most sense for PK right now as in two years he will have a lot more leverage. He will have arbitration rights, he will be closer to being a UFA, and he will also have two more years of proven performance. And most importantly, the Habs will be in a position to pay him.

They could even start negotiating a contract extension as early as this summer. So sign the two year deal, play great, then sign a contract extension in the summer. He still gets the security of long term deal, he just has to play a few months to get it.

• kirbhabs says:

I totally agree, plus the Gomez fiasco, how keen do you think the Mgt/owner are to dish out a big contract to have another fail.

I know everyone thinks potential is gold, but Gomez potential was gold at the time of signing too.

PK does not need the added pressure of a big contract at 23yo, he thinks he can handle it, but in MTL… why take the chance. Grow a little more in both maturity and ability and then cash in.

In other news, Montreal plays Washington tonight.

56. Old Bald Bird says:

A series of tweets from Stubbs about what Gill really said.

In May, during a long talk, Gill told me this about P.K.: “The problem with P.K. is that everyone wanted to fix him. P.K. is P.K. You don’t fix him.You have to just keep P.K.focused and on the ball. … I thought he was awesome. P.K.’s a really good kid. He just needs to play the game.”

57. Habsrule1 says:

I heard McGuire in a clip saying that the Habs need to look at Del Zotto’s contract and double it to get PK’s worth.
    That sounds like a 4 year/20M contract to me.

I say do it. I have a bad feeling the Habs are low-balling PK just to make a point.

• Mattyleg says:

I heard McGuire yell “Monster!” and “Ka-BONG!”

I think that pretty much sums up how I feel about what Pierre McGuire says.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

58. Loonie says:

Quick Poll for those interested.

Who here was concerned about the good of their company when negotiating a raise? Anybody here ever get worried that if they make too much money that their company might not be able to keep somebody else?

Did that make you a selfish person who wasn’t concerned about the results of the company?

Didn’t think so.

I guess as someone who is paid 100% on commission only, I have no answer for you. Perform and you earn. Wouldn’t that be a novel concept for NHL players…..

• Habsrule1 says:

It’s a good question. I know all I think about is that I want to make what I think I deserve for my position. I think PK is doing that exact thing.

The only time I think people consider that is if they work for a small company and they really enjoy their work or if it’s a family business. Anyone who work for a mult-million dollar company likely never worries about such things.

• Mike Bone says:

Everybody wants to make what they think they deserve for their position. I think I should be making about a hundred grand more than I am. If I tell my boss that, he’ll call me an asshole and tell me to get my head out of the clouds or find a new job.

• HardHabits says:

Most companies don’t work under a salary cap but if they did those considerations would be relevant.

The reality is that today, CEO’s give themselves exorbitant and outrageous compensation packages while manipulating earnings to artificially drive their stock prices higher, then sell their options and come back with, “we miscalculated our earnings” and run off with the money as the company they managed files for bankruptcy.

Here’s my suggestion. Offer PK Subban 2 years for 8.5 million. Take it or leave it. If he takes it he will earn a better pay day, if he plays up to his potential, next round of negotiations. If he refuses, tell him he’s played his last game as a Montreal Canadien.

A lot of people are taking PK’s side over the team. Me I am a fan of the Montreal Canadians, not a fan of PK Subban.

What other teams do and what other players sign for is irrelevant. MB is making the right decision holding his ground. I support MB. PK can take a hike for all I care.

• ont fan says:

I worked for a small company 15 minutes away from where I lived. I liked it there. I went to another company an hour away, made alot more money and hated it. Realizing money wasn’t everything I returned. If PK gets that big of a thrill every time he steps on the Ice in Montreal, he better think long and hard.

• coutNY says:

No, but most companies look at you’re position through industry standard ranges and where you fall in those ranges. If they pay you double the industry standard, you better be able to perform or be able to demonstrate you handle twice the average workload better than the people you are displacing.

Yes, PK has taken on more reponsibility, but does he have any exceptional results to show for it. I know I would not ask for a long-term 500% raise if my company was one of the lowest performing in the industry the year before.

I agree he is a good player and in all likelyhood would help the team become better, but don’t agree on setting a precedence of awarding contracts on potential. Just because you have the personality of a superstar deva does not mean you should be paid as one.

59. kirbhabs says:

Oh PK, how we love you, more than most current Canadians, but not as much as others in the past…. please do not be so foolish; we love our HABS more.

If your force it, you will be gone and our love for you will wane but our love of the HABS will not.

Your choice really.

Being the best D-man on a team that was 3rd last… does not make you a hero. Team first, team first.

60. Habitforming says:

I think Geoff Molson needs to have a talk with MB now and remind him, not only does PK have elite potential, but he was used that way last year and did well doing it. Aside from the on ice PK, he is a huge community/charity person and major money maker off the ice as well.

Didn’t the owners just lock the players out because of the business side of hockey?
    PK’s “business side of hockey” generates what they would pay him in salary. Pretty hard to justify not signing him if its all about the business side and all these missed games because of it.

• Mattyleg says:

I’d say that Geoff is all over these negotiations like a hair shirt on a Sulpician, and is backing MB to make the right call.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• nunacanadien says:

More like the boss and his team don’t want to admit a mistake. Therrien and his big mouth has not helped. Sure he backtracked afterwards but honestly the comments made by Therrien about Subban? I would if I were Subban insist that Meehan ask for as much as he can get, make the bigot coach pay.

• Mattyleg says:

(I’m going out on a limb here with this…)

What mistake?
          Hiring Therrien?
          The players have already said that there is a new mentality on the team, where they stick up for one another. That’s a good thing.
          Therrien said that he doesn’t like PK’s attitude? Fine. He was paid, as a pundit, to give his opinion about everything.

Now he’s being paid, as a coach, to get the players under his command to work together as well and as successfully as possible, regardless of (or, most likely, taking into account) the strengths and weaknesses of their personalities.

Bigot? I don’t remember hearing anything of the sort.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Habsrule1 says:

LOL I was going to reply with shock at this post, then I saw who posted it.

Carry on. Nothing to see here.

• secretdragonfly says:

Nice analogy but the visual – not so much :)

Okay, so if i come up with a list of players in the NHL who make north of 5million per year and they suck compared to PK, does this then mean that we should give PK north of 5 million.

In other words if other GM’s make huge mistakes we need to still use those contracts as measuring sticks?

And for that matter if other excellent dmen signed for less than PK is asking for after their entry level contract, we are not allowed to use this as measuring stick, because the GM wasn’t an idiot?

62. CCL says:

I think MB kinda knows we will have a decent year with what we have so there’s no rush to sign PK. PK maybe good but one player is not bigger than a team. so PK keep playing games and you could be replaced for players via trade. I don’t have a problem with you trying to get decent money but don’t go overboard. Remember The Habs got stung with the Gomez contract and every player coming to The Habs from now on. Mb has that in the back of his mind they will only get a reasonable contract take it or leave it. other players has to be signed to you know. don’t be greedy. think team not individual.

• Loonie says:

There is only one player who is up for a new contract who is even remotely close to being as valuable as Subban.

Funny thing is that we’re nearly overstocked at the position of the other player, not so much on defense.

Pk’s playing games eh? I disagree, I wish he were playing games.

63. Mattyleg says:

Two things about the PK situation (because I haven’t said anything about it yet, and I feel… well, I feel kind of left out, to be honest with you):

1. For everyone even countenancing trading Subban: Tee hee. That is all.

b) As we saw with Ovechkin, old farts don’t like exuberance. Look at how incensed DingDong Cherry was with Ovie when he first came into the league and celebrated excitedly when he scored. “Boo! Down with that sort of thing!” griped people who waved the ‘Inarticualte Farmboy’ flag as something that all hockey players and fans should rally around.

So PK’s got a big yap. So he says things that I wish he hadn’t. So sometimes I wish he’d shut up. But I’ll tell you: when he gets out there and give opponents close-up views of the little chippings on the ice, when he grinds players into paste along the boards, and when he wires home shots from the point, I could give no craps about any of that off-ice stuff.

They’ll get it done. Make no mistake. Just hope it’s sooner rather than later.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

64. lavie says:

In MB I trust. ;)

65. Mr. Biter says:

If PK’s that good as some posters say MB’s phone should be ringing off the hook with offers of 1st line players and draft choices. Rumor in Wpg. was (are you ready for it) Hainsey and 2 #2 draft choices. The boys gack home must have frosrbite in their brains.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

66. habs-fan-84 says:

my .02 cents

I hope Subban is a Canadien for a LONG time. I genuinely believe PK wants also to be a Canadien for a LONG time.

If PK is looking for Doughty type money than I’m quite disappointed in PK and can understand MBs rationale.

However, if the hang up is simply term than I don’t really understand MBs moves here. If Subban takes the bridge contract, to me there’s no doubt in 2 years MB will HAVE to pay up and sign PK for Doughty type money. I don’t understand why he wouldn’t want to lock PK up during the prime of his career at a relative discount.

I don’t know, I just want to see PK in a Habs jersey sooner rather than later!

67. otisfxu says:

Someone wrote”if the HAbs continue to win”,,,,,hold on guys, they beat the Florida Panthers – a beat up one at that. If anyone thinks the HAbs are ready to take on the big teams like the Bruins, Rangers, the huge Sabre team, and Flyers when they get rollong, they need to give their heads a little shake

The Habs need PK. Without him you have a very soft defense. Guys like Diaz, Bouillion, Jorges, kaberle are going to get beat into the ice. Markov is one knee tweak from being done for good.

They have some size up front now and a lot tougher, so don’t offset that by having a defense that is going to get pushed around.

There is something a little off between the Habs and PK, not sure what, but neither side can do without each other. PK needs to play this year to further develop, and Habs need a player of his skill.
    Otherwise Mr. Price is going to see beaucoup de rubber, and a lot of it will end up behind him.

• nunacanadien says:

I agree our defense is either way too small ala Diaz, or too short ala Bouillion, or too bendable like Gorges, or just plain washed up like Kaberle. It’s no wonder you have the pile on the puck play in defense Therrien has drawn up to make up for Molson/Gauthier and then Molson/Bergevin’s bad signings.

68. Mike Bone says:

I really like Subban and I think the Habs are better with him than without him. I also think he’s not elite yet, but has a chance of getting there. With that said, I watched the video above, and does he ever come across as annoying in that!

• habstrinifan says:

I am like a genius in reading between the freakin lines of what someone is ‘really’ saying! But I am stomped! Sarcasm? Non Sarcasm? I give up!!!!!!!!!!!

But any video with hockey locker room stuff and guys on the bench and just plain ole hockey rink stuff is FUN!

69. Mr. Biter says:

How much did we give Gomez and cap hit) and what did he sign for.
    Wish him good luck in San Jose.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

70. Xsteve50 says:

Can someone explain to me how RFA works. Do other teams get to negotiate with the player/agent (PK) or do they just present an offer and Mtl matches or doesen’t? Would it not be tampering to have Meehan pumping other teams for offers?

• Loonie says:

The team and the player have to agree on a contract before it’s considered an offer sheet.

The Oilers can’t just say we have an offer sheet to Subban for $30 million over 6 years. He has to agree to it.

• Say Ash says:

I think he’s asking whether or not an outside team posts an offer blindly without talking to the guy first.

• Loonie says:

Well the agent and player would ultimately have to accept and sign the contract respectively.

As for the tampering issue, it would only be tampering if a team was speaking to the agent or player without permission while the player’s under contract or hasn’t signed an entry level deal yet.

• nunacanadien says:

Maybe it’s time the Board of Governors step in like they did for Gomez and Redden and say time to put a stop to this obvious trainwreck of a GM like Bergevin and an idiot like Molson for letting this go on way too long. Subban deserves to play, he a a very good player. It is a shame the habs would try and prove a point at Subban’s expense.

71. krob1000 says:

The Habs PK situation reminds me of the Sather approach to BRandon Dubinsky a few years back…MB may just dig his heels in and stand his ground….he got his way and Dubinsky camp caved….the Rangers then did give him over 4 milion per for 4 years and then moved him for Nash. That sitaution reminds me of this one…Dubinsky was established…as is PK…but Sather refused to not let his RFA leverage allow him to control the situation.
    MB is taking a stand obviously and PK’s only option is to not play…which helps nobody but MB is not under any real pressure with the number of offensive dmen in the lineup, a healthy Markov and no real expectations from the fanbase. Emelin looks for real too and with more muscle will be allowed to throw his weight around again. Sure we all hope they make the playoffs …and I think the possibiility of being a 6-8th team is a very real possibility with some luck….but a team coming off a 15th place finish is not really under pressure to win now….and with Beaulieu and Tinordi in the pipeline, Diaz looking legit, Markov healthy, Emelin looking like the real deal…MB will not cave here….or at least I do not believe he will.

• coutNY says:

The Key was Dubinsky signed a bridge contract after his entry level and before they went and gave him the $4mil for 4.

Point being, most people think it is intuitive to lay a little foundation before imposing demands. What really has he proven at this point to deserve a long-term payday? He doesn’t have enough track record of consistency or dominance at his position… enough said.

• krob1000 says:

That was the hold out…he did not want the bridge contract and held out…eventually caved and got 3.7 total over 2 years….way under fair value but he was an RFA and Sather dug in hi sheels.

72. awesomerino says:

Kimo Timonen, Dan Boyle, Brent Burns, Brent Seabrook, Tyler Myers, Dennis Wideman, Jay Bouwmeester, Mike Green, Matt Carle, Dion Phaneuf, Brian Campbell, James Wisniewski, and Sergei Gonchar.

What do they all have in common?

1.) They all make $5M/year or (much) more;
    2.) I’d take PK Subban over any one of them.

• krob1000 says:

The cap is going down significantly thugh…so if you give PK big money you are essentially giving up a roster player as well to make room…it is almost like we have to trade for PK….PK would be better served I believe taking a bridge contract…hoping the NHL revenues appear headed in the right direction and then getting his money when it can be fit in. Otherwise he could sing a longer term contract that brings down the annual hit…but he may be losing out in the latter years…either way….MB holds the cards and the “comparables” are not really comparable as this is a new CBA qith a new cap limit and there aren’t really any comparables…PK will be the measuring stick for the next couple of years as will Jamie BEnn…..and that is why the GM”s are digging in their heels.

• Loonie says:

Nobody’s going to have to hope for revenues go up. They’re going to keep going up, nature of the beast.

• krob1000 says:

true but until the cap goes up accordingly PK taking a big contract runs someone else out of town….the players and agents want to be paid like guys were just getting…but the cap just dropped by 20 percent…so too must the salaries at least temproarily….annd this is where teams that were near the cap or at it before are vulnerable to teams with lots of cap room. The Devils could afford to sign Zajac to big money…but the Habs are not in a position cap wise moving forward to give PK big money unless he spreads it out over longer term …that is likely where it gets dicey…

• Loonie says:

The Habs have ten forwards under contract for next season, five defensemen and one goalie with $11 million in cap room under the $64.3 million.

Kaberle is unlikely to be a Hab next season. So you can make that four defensemen and $15 million.

$15 million to sign Subban, three forward signings or call ups, one defenseman called up or signed and one goalie signed.

The cap isn’t an issue.

• New says:

Then you sit back and recall the hype surrounding each of these guys before the big contract. Agents do a lot more than just show up at contract time.

• awesomerino says:

Oh for sure. And let’s be clear, I think Don Meehan is by far the biggest problem in this situation. He’s kneecapping the Habs from atop the big pile of Drew Doughty money he frolics in like Scrooge McDuck, promising PK he’ll do the same for him, and telling him all the reasons why he deserves it.

I don’t want to give the kid the moon. But I think a cap hit of $4.5 to $5M over 5 years would be a steal for a player of his caliber. A *slight* overpayment in year 1? Yeah, maybe. A *massive* underpayment by year 3? I’d bet my house on it.

• nunacanadien says:

Meehan has been a nasty agent for the habs. While managed to nail some great players, he has not done them any favours of late. Look at the controversy and the drop in the quality of play over Halak and the trading, then Markov and now Subban. Clearly the habs should be telling Meehan to take a dive and leave the team alone. One bad agent can be as bad as say the war between Kosty and the Gomer over wanting to win in the dressing room of old.

• Ozmodiar says:

Most of these contracts were either:
      a) signed when the player was a UFA, or
      b) a mistake.

• Strummer says:

+1 my sentiments exactly

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• nunacanadien says:

Molson and Bergevin should tell Meehan and his players to go. Honestly don’t sign any more Meehan players. Too bad for Subban but honestly Meehan has been nothing but poison to the habs. Bergevin you can find better agents and with better agents come better players.

• Xsteve50 says:

What did those guys make on there 2nd contract?

• Strummer says:

I won’t argue I’d take Subban over any of these but this group also shows players that were overpaid in the silly era.

Good economic management should prevail after enduring a lockout.

PK will be a UFA in 3 years- his big payday will come. Meanwhile as a RFA, MB (Means Business) has some leverage. Hopefully PK will take short term pain for long term gain.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

73. kirkiswork says:

Pierre Houde (he was just on CHOM) seems to think that Don Meehan annd PK are going to reconsider a bridge contract.
    I hope he does because I think that’s the only way he will be signed.

• nunacanadien says:

Habs fans should be running Meehan out of town. First he took away our beloved Halak, next it’ll be Subban and then made the habs pay through the nose for a broken down Markov who is one injury away from early retirement.

74. derfab says:

Habs Network on L’Antichambre has ganged up on the kid to lowball him with their own version of vigilate arbitration with crap about his arrogance etc., They are mishandling this bigtime and seem to be underestimating the damage it could do.

75. Old Bald Bird says:

Dave Stubbs ‏on Twitter
    And those who believe #Habs @PKSubban1 is demanding Doughty money? Absolutely not true

• Loonie says:

Hang on, hang on, hang on.

You mean Subban isn’t a greedy, selfish, annoying, loud mouth?

Or he just isn’t greedy and selfish?

;)

• Phil C says:

I would believe that. Doughty’s cap hit is $7M.

But the comparables Meehan gave in an interview were in the $5M to $6M dollar range, which sounds like what they are asking for.