How about those Habs!

How about those Canadiens!

Sitting in first place in the Eastern Conference with a 14-4-4 record Monday morning after beating the Bruins 4-3 in Boston Sunday night. A streak of 11 games picking up at least a point (8-0-3). Third-best record in the NHL behind only Chicago (19-0-3) and Anaheim (15-3-2).

How about Max Pacioretty! He was named the NHL’s first star of the week on Monday after recording at least one point in all four of his games, tying for the league lead in goals (four) and points (seven). The 24-year-old leads the Canadiens with 8-12-20 totals in 18 games this season.

And how about that Brendan Gallagher! A pretty good-looking rookie, especially when you consider he was only a fifth-round pick (147th overall) at the 2010 NHL entry draft and wasn’t selected by the junior Vancouver Giants until the ninth round of the 2007 WHL bantam draft.

After picking up two assists and a plus-3 in the win over Boston, Gallagher has 6-7-13 totals in 18 games and is a team-leading plus-12.

The Canadiens are back in action Tuesday night on Long Island when they take on the Islanders (7 p.m., RDS, TSN 690 Radio).

(Photo by Alex Trautwig/Getty Images)

Canadiens come back to beat Bruins, by Pat Hickey

Gallagher’s star shines bright, by Jack Todd

Habs pounce after Chara leaves, by Pat Hickey

Bruins have no problem with Chara’s costly decision to fight, by NESN.com

Bruins’ Marchand, Julien call out Subban after loss, by NESN.com

Crosby stars in orgy of offence, by Dave Stubbs

Lecavalier trade talk heats up again in Tampa, by Stu Cowan

1,111 Comments

1. Sal from the Hammer says:

Carey Price. He’s a 24 year old kid that has a tendency to get a bit of the deer in the headlights look about him. Very occasionally! His nonchalant style of play can seem frustrating to watch, because, he looks nonchalant, while making most of his saves look easy. That’s his special gift!! Therefore, when someone scores a goal in which his style of nonchalence is evident, it makes him appear that he didn’t try hard enough to make a save. He needs some refinements, that’s what goalie coaches are for. All goalies need to have someone to evaluate the little things that can lead to glitches in their play! He is an outstanding goalie that as a Hab fan I am proud to have play on the team I love. When he matures a little more, yes, he does need to mature some more, he will lead the Habs to a Stanley Cup. Look, we already have in place, on this team, the future of this team. How many teams would line up if he was offered up in a trade? I don’t even think I should have to answer that!

• billylove says:

Too many forget the fact that Price is still very young. He does need to mature more. I would like to see a little more focused intensity in his game. Sometimes I think he’s too relaxed but I’m not bitchin about his overall game. He is an elite goalie who will only get better.

2. billylove says:

You all get this already but I must rant after watching the absolute goonery last nite. The NHL and the asswipe commish are pathetic. How many more penalties should have been called against the goons last nite? Rewatched the game and I stopped counting at 6. Sure, I’m biased, but some of these non calls were brutal and no brainers. In Boston, the NHL will virtually let the goons do anything unless it so obvious, like Chara’s hit on Emelin, that they must call it. It’s beyond disgusting and once again proves the NHL is dysfunctional. Very glad to see MT raising hell on the bench and giving the refs an earfull.

• TommyB says:

Definitley better than “hands in pockets” Jacques Martin. A degree of emotion, under control, on the bench is an asset.

• Fansincebirth says:

Not a fair assessment of JM.

I saw him shrug his shoulders quite vigorously several times.

I even saw him roll his eyes at a ref once!

No, it’s true!!

• TommyB says:

Ahhhh….so I wasn’t giving JM fair credit. You are right. My oversight.

• Fansincebirth says:

Not a problem…some of his shrugs were very subtle but carried intense meaning.

I once overheard a ref in an Ottawa/Montreal game tell a fellow ref “Did you see the way he shrugged at me?”

Intense……Intense

3. shiram says:

Top 8 teams in the NHL features 4 from the North East division.
    Chicago, Anaheim and Vanvoucer are the only Western teams in the Top 10.

• jmsheehy19 says:

I read an article in the offseason saying the NE was the weakest in the league. Wish I remember who wrote that.

• shiram says:

Well Ottawa and Toronto could be in for a drop, and the Habs too.
        Maybe even Boston, with the touger schedule in front of them.

• Bripro says:

I believe the Leafs are playing the same % as after the same number of games last year.
          And looked what happened then.
          They’ll have to prove themselves before I can even attempt to take them seriously.

• jmsheehy19 says:

I think Toronto will drop a bit, as will Ottawa, but the Sens will do so due to injuries (even worse than us last year).

4. krob1000 says:

BElow people are knocking Ryder…he set up Pleks, missed a couple of chances, made several good decisions at the blue line and in traffic, won his battles at the blueline to get eh puck out,ec…he did not play poorly. That is his game…and then he’ll score some goals…is he going to skate end to end like COle? nope…but he is going to generate as many chances and paly as responsibly. He is far smarter than Cole too.

I see Ryder as an offensive player like PRice is a goalie…he relies on position, timing and delivers despite not being flashy. Ryder rarely makes poor plays and jsut geos about his business….at he end of the yera his numbers speak for themselves. I still like that trade.
    Cole as 1 goal ! Ryder has one assist..we all know the assist is just as important as mentioned below
    Ryder is just fine and is till finding his place but I liked what I saw of him….now Gorges? that guys is on thin ice with new management I would think. Moen? also another one who I suspect is fine and maybe playing hurt…..but he, armstrong and White are all interchangeable but his contract is thelongest and biggest butt I would leave him alone for a while longer.
    The only palyer I am seeing consistently playing below his expected level is Gorges…that is a bit concerning and he too may be playing hrut or something but he is making mental mistakes and does not seem to have any chemistry with Subban.

• Loonie says:

Had three turnovers at the offensive zone blue line in last night’s game alone and is a one dimensional player in my opinion.

• Hobie Hansen says:

So would you rather Cole for another 2 1/2 years Loonie or Ryder and the option to pickup a UFA?

• Loonie says:

I’m indifferent about the trade.

That has more to do with me not having much emotionally invested in how the team does this year than anything else though.

If they fall on their faces it will be unfortunate but they will benefit from it long term. If they do well, then they’re doing well and I won’t complain.

• Bill says:

I would. Definitely. Cole is not Gomez. He’s not done and his contract was fine.

I have no faith that the Habs can sign a better UFA with Cole’s money, but if they do, I will gladly admit it was a good move.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• krob1000 says:

That is a period worth for Cole who can’t pass because he is on his backhand streaking down the right wing with only one goal in mind..to cut. I do not recalll 3 turnovers either..I recall one he could have got deep but didn;t but it wasn’t going to be a play anyway…but shoudl have got it deep. I do recall several times him making passes under pressure maintaining possession instead of panicking like several other guys were when BRuins were running at them.
        I also remember him winning a few key battles and getting pucks out when other guys were turning them over. I also remember his pass to Pleks being better than any pass made by Cole. Give me RYder over COle any day…especially with 2 yeards at 4.5 and a draft pick. Ryder will never be as flashy as Cole but his numbers are always there….Cole also no showed the Oilers…and it looked like he was on the way to doing the same in MOntreal…Ryder has produced the same no matter where he has gone.
        Ryder isn’t supposed to be the guy carrying the puck …Cole makes himself that guy…Ryder also creates openings as he draws attention when he sets up in the slot…it gives more room tot he other guys. HE will be fine..he is still adjusting to a new system and overall I was happy with his first two games….

• Habfan17 says:

Pleks had at least four, so what, it happens.

Habfan17

• Loonie says:

Turnovers at the offensive zone blueline are death and Plekanec certainly didn’t have anywhere near that number. I’ve reviewed the game twice and have yet to see one let alone four.

Two of Ryder’s lead to odd-man rushes.

• krob1000 says:

BOth bluelines are important…I hav ea 6 foot rule with my kids…but they are worse in your own end and COle’s playing his off wing was a problem there. Ryder should nopt be the guy carrying the puck through the neutral zone…Cole shouldn’t be either but he often was.
            I see them as a complete wash but personally prefer Ryder…there isn’t much difference in waht they bring. On a team in need of rigthies, a team in need of cap space…give me Ryder for sure….

• Garbo says:

You got too much time on your hands.

Thanks Garbo.

• ed says:

Krob, Price is one of the great athletes on the team. he combines great size with fantastic quickness.

It seems like Price is relying on positioning because his reflexes are so quick he is always in position well ahead of the shooter.

Ryder is neither big, nor quick, nor does he have a reputation as being particularly smart, or even very hard working, for that matter.

I really respect your opinions when you post here, but your view of Ryder is very much in the minority I believe.

I think most hockey people would agree that Ryder is a sniper, a pure goal scorer. Nothing more.

If he is not scoring goals, he is not worth his salary – and I would be extremely surprised if the Habs keep Ryder after this season unless he rips it up for us and scores a ton of goals.

• krob1000 says:

? your goaltending analysis is two conflicting styles…Price is a positional goalie who relies on that because his reflexes are not like a Kiprusoff, Hasek or Miller. We’ll leave that part out of it because I don’t really unerstand what you are getting at there.
        What does Cole do that is worth the salary? he is not intimidating, he does not pass the puck, he is not responsible defensively…they are very similar players. One is faster the other is smarter….one makes it easier getting out of his own end.
        I personally prefer Ryder over COle..alwasy liked Ryder….but being completely objective I consider them a wash…they are so similar getting the two extra years of freedom and the pick make it a great trade IMO.
        I have heard as many analysts say they prefer Ryder as the other way around.

5. HabsFan1111 says:

I caught a good portion of the Wings/Hawks game yesterday and I need to tip my cap to a certain 6th round pick of the leafs from 2006: Viktor Stalberg.

He’s as fast as anyone, great hands, big, strong, a real nose for the net, would probably be a superstar in this league if he wasn’t playing behind Kane, Hossa and Sharp. Made a nifty play setting up Kane’s tying goal to continue the streak. One of the most underrated in the league IMO.

• Habfan17 says:

He will be a UFA at the end of the season. I did post on here last week that if he makes it to the open market, he would be a great 2nd line left wing. Then the Habs could move Bourque to the right side where we twice scored 27 goals. Trade Gionta and the Habs are now bigger and quicker with more goal scoring.

Habfan17

6. habfan53 says:

The Habs started the road trip off on the right foot, now they face the Islanders then on to Carolina. Capt. Kirk will have them ready but without Ward in nets advantage Montreal. Then on to Florida, the HABS always seem to play well in Tampa, but up to the start of the year the Panthers were the only team in the league to be above .500 against Montreal lifetime . However Theodore is now out 6 weeks.
    Predict 4 wins on the road I know it is tough but it looks like the stars have aligned.
    Like the DODGERS “Wait till next year”

• The Juice says:

“up to the start of the year the Panthers were the only team in the league to be above .500 against Montreal lifetime”

Where did you find that stat?

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

7. Habfan10912 says:

I think I will watch a replay of last nights game on NHL network. :)

8. Bill says:

Feeble attempt to change the subject from the Canadiens needing a goon and how bad Carey Price sucks.

The trade deadline is a month from yesterday. If the Habs are still solidly in the top half of the conference, they will be buyers.

What kind of player(s) would you trade for to make the Habs a better playoff team? And before you say George Parros, remember I said PLAYOFFS, where fighting is even less relevant.

More importantly, which players on the Habs team would you sit to make room for these new players?

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Habfan17 says:

A face off specialist and a crease clearing dman.

Habfan17

• Loonie says:

Ed Jovanovski at half of the cap hit, salary and contract length. Does such a player exist?

Cory Sarich or Anton Babchuk from Calgary if they start selling.

Doug Murray from San Jose.

Problem with the defenseman is that they have to replace somebody and while it oughta be Bouillon that won’t happen with Therrien behind the bench.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

If the Habs want to compete for the Cup:
      1) a top 2 defenseman with size who can play 25 min/game with PK – would give up Gorges in a trade to get this
      2) a physical forward who can play regularly e.g. Clowe. I would give up Moen to get this (Moen not physical when it counts)
      3) maybe a utility forward that can win faceoffs and kill penalties..sit Armstrong (not sure about Nokia)

• Cal says:

Right now, I wouldn’t trade for any forwards. Not because the Habs can’t use a better player or two, but because the price for rentals is too high. Habs are contending, but everything seems to be falling out in favour of the Habs. Management still believes this is a rebuilding team and will not throw away the future as per Feaster.

For those wanting a crease clearer: call up Pateryn.

• lavie says:

A stay-at-home big Dman to replace Cube.
      A (last season’s) Cole type of player to replace Gionta.

(I would have replaced DD, but after last night’s game, things are changed.)

9. mikemcpheesmustache says:

Lecavalier doesn’t make much sense. You know who we need?

RYAN CLOWE.

I don’t expect Bergevin to pull off some blockbuster gamble right now… but I do think he’ll be able to make our team better by picking up some more character players (we need a solid 4th line with ENERGY AND GRIT…) Moen hasn’t been himself this season. I like the guy, but he needs to get dirty, crash the net, and be a pain in the ass.

But YES… Memo to Marc Bergevin: RYAN CLOWE SVP

Merci,

Mike.

“The ones that love us least, are the ones we’ll die to please”

10. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Subban is such an embellishing coward, the Bruins drafted HIS BROTHER…give me a break…losers

11. Propwash says:

@TSNBobMcKenzie

In addition to NSH claiming Bobby Butler from NJD on waivers, PIT puts Zach Boychuk on waivers.

Is Boychuk any good in the fighting dept?

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

12. Bripro says:

This is Matty’s fault!
    With all the arguing over Price’s worth, talk of Lecavalier being traded, Claude Julien’s whining and the Boston Media, I’ve had it!
    I’m out!

So are we still liking Ryder trade? Cause quite frankly, Ryder did nothing but float a-la Michael Cammalleri out there for the last 2 games.

• Say Ash says:

I like the $4.5 million of space over the next two years.

He’s almost always lazy.

That hasn’t changed in his entire career. I don’t know how the deal could be seen as a win immediately.

If that cap space and/or the draft pick bring in a high quality player(s) it will become a good deal but swapping Cole for Ryder isn’t an upgrade in my opinion.

Business move.

• remi_10069 says:

No we don’t. Ryder can’t skate

pipes

• CalgaryHab says:

When he finally buys what Therrien is selling it will be good – along with the cap space. It took me along time to buy what MT was selling too.

• Gally27 says:

seen and heard a lot of Ryder bashing.
      From Eric Engels
      two cents–
      flew from Dallas to Toronto, didn’t even take the morning skate, played in the game, flew back to Dallas to collect his stuff, arrived in Montreal Friday at 2:30 am, practiced in the morning, morning skate Saturday before back-to-backs against Pit and Bos, no morning skate against Bos…

• krob1000 says:

still loving the trade…Cole to me is no better…sure he skates more but the results are the same and he cannot pass the puck to save his life. HE alos causes issues in his own end needing to play his off wing…he turned way too many pucks over on the wall early.

• Mr. Biter says:

Cammy’s got 8 goals in Calgary this year.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

14. To Ian. I saw what you wrote Ian thanks so much!

CBC Manitoba will air the piece tonight during their 5PM news coverage. 6pm your time on Bell and Starchoice.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

15. Sportfan says:

I don’t think there is enough good things to say about Gallagher he’s a solid player and plays with a huge heart and like he’s biggger than Chara. Really happy to see that having him on a line with DD works

16. Sal from the Hammer says:

Do NOT want Lacavilier!! He had his chance to play for the Habs, and he chose to be a hero in Tampa, where a mere handfull of people that like hockey there even know his name. I hope MB does not take this guy on with that contract and his injury record. Nuff said…

17. Loonie says:

Adam Oates had just under 1100 career assists but none of them were because of him, it was all because Cam Neely, Brett Hull and Peter Bondra scored on individual effort alone.

18. ebk says:

Just for shits and giggles, here are the teams losses with Price in net, shots included, which one did he fail to steal?
    Team Score Shots
    Toronto 2-1 22-26
    Boston 2-1 21-23
    Toronto 6-0 37-28
    NYI/OT 4-3 33-25
    Ottawa/SO 2-1 45-24
    Pittsburgh/OT 7-6 39-36

19. CalgaryHab says:

I would not wish death upon anyone but in some unrealistic reason I had to come up with a death list (one that would get carried out) I would put them in this order:

1. Chara
    2. Lucic
    3. Marchand
    4. Al qaeda
    5. Thorton
    edit 6. Julien

20. Chrisadiens says:

I see Erik Cole had a goal last night. Good for him. Hope he does well out there in big D.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

21. shiram says:

I don’t get the complaining.
    Sure there are plenty of nit-picks to discuss about the Habs, but right now sitting 4th in points per game, is there any real reasonable complaints?
    I can’t see them.

22. Trisomy 21 says:

Boone added this link to ALN after most of us read the article. Funny to see Milbury have to stick up for the Habs.
    The middle guy’s face went so red when Milbury calls him out. They want to talk about missed calls, Chara should have got more than instigating on his penalty, shoulda got another 2 for interference. The Ref had his arm in the air after he hit Emelin, did he forget that quickly? then of course the high stick to Pacioretty. These guys are so out to lunch. I even think Marchand should be suspended for swinging his stick at Prust’s face while he was down on the ice. Had Prust not caught the stick maybe the NHL would look at it.

• JoshK says:

Thats something I really dislike. Its only worth looking if something bad actually happened. Colton Orr tried to shatter Plek’s knee in that 6-0 game, charged across two zones and blatantly stuck his knee out. But because Plek got out of the way, “no harm no foul” and it was ignored.

There shouldnt have to be a successful malicious move to warrant a reaction.

23. WindsorHab-10 says:

Boston Bruins are a disgrace to the nhl with all the whining coming out of the mouths of Julien & his players. Embellishment windbag? Your whole team deserves oscars for all the acting you bums did that lead you to a lucky stanley cup 2yrs ago. Go straight to hell.

24. HabFanSince72 says:

“He’s very good but he has yet to steal a game” is a bizarre argument.

Price had two shutouts – but he didn’t “steal” those games because the team played well in front of him.

He had five one-goal games – but he didn’t “steal” those games because the team played well in front of him.

He won a shootout – – but he didn’t “steal” that game because the team played well in front of him.

• WindsorHab-10 says:

Like they say, opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. Sorry I pissed you off. Carey Price is God. Happy now?

• Loonie says:

It’s you who seems to be upset.

You also seem to be irrational like many of your anti-Price buddies. Because your opinion is seen for what it is, and that’s stupid and incorrect, you assume and accuse people who correctly assessed your opinion are upset.

More than anything those of us who see your stupidity for what it is are laughing.

So take joy in the fact that you’ve provided entertainment albeit in a Bozo kind of way.

• Trisomy 21 says:

He doesn’t sound angry, can’t someone make a rebuttal and stick up for a goalie who many seem to think will backstop Team Canada?

• Habsrule1 says:

Windsor, you’re sounding increasingly stupid with every post.

Go Habs Go!!

• WindsorHab-10 says:

Check my posts & you’ll see that I’m a big Price supporter but when he needs to be criticized I do it. My problem however are people like you calling others stupid. That’s not right. Agree or disagree with a poster, you don’t have any right calling people stupid. Have a nice day.

• Loonie says:

He’s right to call you stupid.

And if you don’t see that Price is an elite NHL goalie that’s precisely the characterization your thought should have attached to it in my opinion.

You started this crapstorm by getting personal. So maybe it’s time to just let bygones be bygones.

• Habsrule1 says:

I decided that when you told another poster to kiss your ass, you opened yourself up to being insulted.
            Then there were the ridiculous posts about Price.

Go Habs Go!!

• ed says:

aside from a few bad outings, Price has played superb hockey.

• Loonie says:

The team in front of him is better and the only thing that’s proving other than the simple fact that they’re better is that people take great goaltending for granted regardless of whether or not it’s needed.

He is without a doubt the best player this team has and the most talented its had in decades. But selfish imps want perfection at every moment and anything less is unsatisfactory.

• Mattyleg says:

Only once he steals a game will I consider him an NHL goalie.
      Until then he’s a career AHL-er up here on loan.

I also have very strong opinions on creationism I’d like to share with you.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Danno says:

Like I said below:

Price out-dueled Theodore in a 0-0 match that saw the Habs win 1-0 overtime. But the bum waited for someone else to score the GWG.

Price never steals a game. Wash rinse repeat…

• The Juice says:

I actually had a dream last night that Price scored a goal on a breakaway (I know, I need to call my shrink) but thought you like to know it was the most non-chalant wrister you’d ever see ;)

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

• Bill says:

My favourite dumb argument is that he’s not “clutch”. This argument is superbly absurd because it basically invents a mythical/imaginary quality and criticizes a player for not possessing it.

What is clutch? Does it mean playing well in big games? Price has done that. He won championships as a junior and as an AHL player. I do seem to remember him winning a game seven against the Bruins with a shutout. I also remember him losing a game seven against the Bruins in overtime.

Every goalie will win and lose “big games”. Every player will perform well in some big games and less well in others. Players who almost always come up big in big games are the same players who are generational talents … a Patrick Roy, for example.

But even Patrick Roy lost a lot of big games. And Habs fans were always pretty quick to get on his back too, unbelievably enough.

Price could win a Cup, everyone would be happy, and then the Habs could lose the season opener against the Leafs and we’d be hearing how porous he is.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Loonie says:

And going back to Patrick Roy. I believe he spotted six or seven goals to the Red Wings in a Western Conference Final in game 7.

• The Juice says:

If Price’s Game 7 shutout against Boston a few year’s back isn’t defined as “clutch” then I don’t think he’ll ever have a clutch win ;)

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

The finesse and speed game defeated the Neanderthals this week.

In both games, Boston and Toronto tried to make grease spots on the boards with our small yet better hockey players and both teams came up SHORTer for their efforts.
    We left their towns with the 4 points!!

26. Chuck says:

As a Price supporter, I’ll be the first to admit that his games against the Leafs and Penguins weren’t great. But at the same time, the defense in front of him wasn’t getting the job done in those games, either.

Take those two games out of the equation, and Price was facing an average of 25 shots/game. In those two: 32.

And to suggest that he isn’t an excellent goaltender is ridiculous. If you consider the other 15 games he’s played this season (90% of his starts), Price is 11-1-3 with 2 shutouts, a 1.66 goals against average and a .955 save%… and had just one game where his team failed to register a point.

___________________________________________________

• Loonie says:

Those numbers aren’t elite Chuck.

Stopping 95% of the shots directed toward him is awful.

• Cal says:

We demand 99% damnit! Otherwise, that there goalie just ain’t cuttin’ it. Consarn it!

• Danno says:

Only 99.999999999999% will silence the critics

• The Juice says:

Only if the 0.000000000001% isn’t a softie ;)

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

• Propwash says:

His shutouts weren’t convincing enough!

____________________
          DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• Cal says:

He didn’t score or help add to the lead with an assist. How elite can Price be? ;)

• Danno says:

Price never steals a game. Wash rinse repeat…

• WindsorHab-10 says:

My problem with Price is like Boone has mentioned many times, he has yet to steal a game this season. The first 3 goals he allowed against the Pens weren’t his fault. His team came back from 4-2 deficit & gave him a lead, lost the lead but came back to tie & send game into OT. I’m still waiting for him to make that big save & prove to his teammates & us that he can get it done. I can’t erase that image of him just sitting there as the winning goal went in.
      I’d give Budaj another start & really send a message to Price.

• Loonie says:

You speak of goals allowed like it’s on him only.

That’s like saying a player who gets an assist contributed nothing to a goal.

• Trisomy 21 says:

This sort of thinking is what happens in Vancouver. You know why Luongo is rarely on the highlight reels? It’s not because he’s bad, it’s because he’s a technical goalie. His positioning is what gets the job done. He like price, plays well because his technique and positioning allow him to stop shots without having to make the pad stack or diving glove save and not have to flop around the ice like Tim Thomas, who is on the highlight reel often. Nothing against Thomas but his style of play is less technical and more acrobatic which allows for him to make those saves people clammer for.

• Bill says:

Luongo has the same critics. It’s so easy to criticize the goalie, but it’s a team game, and you’d better believe NHL players, coaches, and GMs know that.

Luongo is such a perfect example. The Canucks lost the Cup to the Bruins in seven games. The Canucks scored EIGHT goals in those seven games. But to listen to a lot of Vancouver fans, it was all Luongo’s fault! He’s not “clutch”. Never mind that Olympic championship against Team USA, right?

Full Breezer 4 Life

• The Jackal says:

Exactly. Poor Lou, he deserves better.
            And that’s what I’ve been saying too about Price not having to steal games for us and not having to make stupid saves because he is solid positionally, the puck just hits him, he doesn’t have to dive or anything like that.

• Chuck says:

Prove that he can get it done? Waiting to make the big save? How about the 382 big saves that give him those 1.66GAA and .955 save% numbers, and the 11-1-3 and 2 shutouts… what do you want him to do?

___________________________________________________

• makka83 says:

Your expectations are a tad high. When has Price ever made flashy saves? Even his tough saves look like routine.

• The Jackal says:

Exactly.
      Price had a bad game on Saturday, but so did Vokoun – it happens to all goalies.

It’s a myth that price lets in “soft” goals. They look soft because of a bad bounce and positioning. Sure, every goalie lets in a few stinkers, and Price does too, but it’s not true that he often lets in a bad goal.

Moving forward, he is our #1 and he is a damn good #1. Look to see him bounce back.
      And for those who complain that he hasn’t stolen a game this season… well, he has not had to – we are much better overall and don’t need to be bailed out by the goalie every game.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

If Price is not the best player on the team then Chara is going to win the Lady Bing.

• Hobie Hansen says:

We’re going nowhere with Price. It’s just a fluke we’re in first. ;-).

Therrien sucks too.

• lavie says:

Price has ADHD I guess.

27. Shadows says:

Habs now #3 on ESPN power rankings.

ReMember

• Bripro says:

Seeing the Leafs in 6th gives me a rash.

• Shadows says:

It’s hard to tell how good they really are… they have 9 losses but make up for it with 13 wins, the next two weeks will be big for them, they might actually make the playoffs if they can find some consistency.

It’s pretty awesome that the Ducks are playing well, I’m cheering for them solely because Koivu is on their team.

ReMember

28. Hobie Hansen says:

So let me get this straight, people below are accusing Seguin of diving? I’m not saying I agree or disagree, just wondering?

And nobody really answered my question. What would you expect from the Habs if someone crosschecked Galchenyuk in the ribs, sending him crumpling to the ice?

I’m happy Chara did what he did. Emelin showed a lot of courage! And we won the game as a result.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Emelin barely nudged him.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Cool. I’ll have to look again.

**EDIT** Just looked, it’s tough to tell…

It’s possible Seguin dove but i dunno…

I know the sticks break easy these days but to barley tap him and have it break like that?

• 123456 says:

Emilin broke his stick so it’s likely he hit him hard. Generally not a fan of actions liek that but it’s Boston – how many high sticking penalties against Boston were missed last night (3??).

FOr their size, they are a bunch of pansies – look at every skirmish, 90% of the time a big bad Boston guy is BEHIND a player grabbing their head doing a fash wash. They are not man enough to go face to face.

• HabFanSince72 says:

OK I looked at it again and he probably did hit him hard. It doesn’t look like he did based on the force of the cross check but he did break the stick.

• Luke says:

Emelin barely nudged him hard enough to break his stick.

• Lafleurguy says:

Thx Hobie for posting the video link. It looked like a penalizeable crosscheck. Further, a poor decision by Emelin, ’cause it sprung Bergeron and Marchand on a 2 on1. Budaj made a game-saving stop on Marchand. Emelin, and we, got lucky that Chara didn’t connect, and also that the refs accurately penalized Chara.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Rugger says:

Hobie, I never said he dived, I thought he lost an edge.

• Bill says:

I wouldn’t say he dived, but he sure did lay on the ice for a long time and limp into the corridor … without missing a shift after. Embellishment? I’d say so.

I don’t mind the criticism that some of the Habs embellish, because they DO, but so do some Bruins and guys on every other team as well. It’s a dumb and hypocritical criticism from Julien.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• JoshK says:

I’m using this pic again
      explain to me how Emelin was able to deliver a cross check to Seguin (59.1 Cross-checking – The action of using the shaft of the stick between the two hands to forcefully check an opponent.)

29. The Dude says:

So ,maybe Therrien should try playing Carey for the 1st two Periods of the game and put in a BUDAJ in the money 3RD ,eh :cool:

• Chuck says:

A goal against in the first or second is worth the same on the scoresheet as one scored in the third.

___________________________________________________

30. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Brendan Gallagher…bringing back honour and courage to the number 11…

31. Habilis says:

Patches is the first star of the week in the NHL. Sweet.

32. Bripro says:

Most of you know about my son, the Bruins fan.
    This happened almost overnight, when they let Saku go.
    That story of my son and Saku is for another time.
    But since then, as a young hockey player, he would support the winning team, until he became endeared to those pesky Bs.
    Well, I think that changed a bit last night.
    When Chara chased down Emelin, he sat next to me yelling out:
    “He’s got a plate in his face, you idiot! Someone pull that tool off the kid!”
    That was refreshing.

• The Juice says:

I pondered switching allegiances when they traded Roy…

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

33. Dr.Rex says:

SO why did Lucic fight Prust? Its clear that PRust was looking for momentum for his team who were down a goal by fighting a bigger creature. But Lucic had nothing to gain except to raise his roid adrenaline and bang his chest. I think Lucic exemplifies the word BOOB.

34. AlexTheNextOne says:

Welp, we don’t have to worry about Trawna’s Mike Brown anymore. Traded to Edmonton for a fourth-round pick in 2014.

35. habs_54321 says:

can someone please tell me how tambellini still has a job in edmonton? he’s worse than pierre gauthier how does a gm survive being the WORST team in the league for more years than i can count on one hand?

Perhaps his wife sells corporate insurance/benefits and utilizes Rexall as the preferred dispensor for the drug plan which is sold?

• Loonie says:

Because he’s a slightly better GM than Kevin Lowe was.

• CalgaryHab says:

It’s baffling, I can’t stand his sh*t eating grins when he make his first over all selections.

• AlexTheNextOne says:

“… when he makes his first overall selections each and every friggin’ year.”

That’s the main reason why I can’t stand him.

• CalgaryHab says:

They need to cap the amount of first over all picks in a row to 2. Call it the Inept Edmonton Oiler Rule.

• AlexTheNextOne says:

Maybe not a cap, but diminishing returns if you picked first the year before. Unless you actually did end up being the worst team that year, then you should still have the best chance no matter what.

For example, let’s say Edmonton finishes 30th one year, they have the best chance to pick first, and they win the draft. Next year, they finish not 30th, but 29th. Because they picked first the year before, they should have less of a chance (than other teams who might place 29th) to pick first due to having done so the previous year, whereas a NEW 29th place team would have the more-or-less “normal” percentage chance of winning the lottery.

Would this work? I know I don’t have anywhere near as much hockey sense as most posters here, so if someone can find a problem with a system like that, please, educate me.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Because they are losing on purpose in order to rebuild the team.

• Habfan17 says:

Because the owner wants 6 years of top 3 picks to build the next Oiler Dynasty

Habfan17

36. Whatever says:

I believe that the Boston media is irrational, irresponsible and propogate hatred towards certain players of the Montreal Canadiens to the same level as the irrational and irresponsible Montreal media towards certain players of the Montreal Canadiens.

37. Cal says:

After the Habs astonishing climb to first, it is now official. The Habs ARE the measuring stick. (golf claps and assorted whistles)

38. Lafleurguy says:

What happened to Brad Marchand when he jab-punched Daniel Sedin six times? For those of us who had money in the Unsportsmanlike Conduct Penalty betting pool, we were sorely disappointed this penalty was not called.

39. AlexTheNextOne says:

Seriously, when the heck are the Lecavalier trade rumors going to finally stop?

Forgetting about what he may (or may not) bring to our team even at the age of 33, there’s no way we’d take on yet another monster contract with a decent chance of it biting us in the behind.

This organization I feel has learned it’s lesson on contracts.

40. billylove says:

Some call it “chemistry,” “heart,” or “character,” when trying to describe that intangible quality that makes some teams good. Whatever you prefer, this team has got it.

41. shiram says:

Pleks is still taking too many draws, 5th in the league, as far as I’m concerned.
    White is the only center north of 50% on draws, and his skillset makes it so you can’t send him out on too many draws.
    DD is at best, just as good as Pleks on the draw with less defensive acumen.
    Eller should be our go to guy to take a load off of Plekanec, but his draw % is not there yet.

42. Loonie says:

Funny that the people who tend to come out and say Price isn’t among the league’s elite goalies are the same people who had man crushes on Jaro Halak and yet it’s the only thing they use to respond to people who defend Price’s value to the Habs and his comparative value around the league.

Edit: Lundqvist has had six games this season where he’s allowed three or more goals.

Rinne has had eight.

PRICE IS TIED WITH LUNDQVIST WITH SIX.

And those are the “elite” goalies in the NHL.

• Habfan17 says:

Let them go and check Brodeur’s stats his first few years. Not Saying Price is in his league…yet, but their first years stats are very similar

Habfan17

• The Cat says:

Not ignoring those numbers, they do mean something, but I seen Rinne steal games. I havent seen Price do it ever. To be elite, you have to carry the team once or twice. Show me one game the habs were badly outplayed and Price was the difference.

• HabFanSince72 says:

You’ve never seen Price steal a game?

OK now you’re arguing in bad faith.

• Loonie says:

Washington, Ottawa and Buffalo this season.

33, 31 and 31 shots in those games and one goal surrendered.

Ten games last season and the previous season where he surrendered only one goal or fewer on over 30 shots.

Five as a backup the previous season.

Six the previous season.

Eight in the season preceding that one.

I’m not even counting games where he only surrendered two goals.

• TheLogician says:

lots of regular season talk in that post.
          can you give us some analysis on his playoff stats?
          thanks!

• Loonie says:

Oh so the debate is irrelevant now?

K gotcha. How many rings does Lundqvist have? That’s your kind of logic now that the argument regarding Price has gone sour for you, so answer me that.

• TheLogician says:

i’m not part of any debate here (check the posts) and i don’t care at all about various rangers’ stats. i’m just someone who thinks that playoff and clutch performances matter. and there’s no arguing that the jury’s still out on that one for Carey. if he wasn’t your valentine, you’d probably recognize that as well.

• Loonie says:

I think Plekanec is excellent too. I must have a man crush on him.

• Habfan17 says:

Point taken! That is one thing I can’t provide evidence for. I would be interested to see how many games Brodeur stole in his first 4 seasons. I am still willing to give Price break. The team was under some bizarro season last year and they are changing things up this season. One thing I will say is that when he is on his game, it is hard to say if he is stealing anything because he makes all saves look routine. To me that is a top notch goalie.

Habfan17

• ebk says:

show me one game this year where the Habs were badly outplayed? Here’s the losses, which one of these should he have stolen?
        Team Score Shots
        Toronto 2-1 22-26
        Boston 2-1 21-23
        Toronto 6-0 37-28
        Ottawa/SO 2-1 45-24
        Pittsburgh/OT 7-6 39-36

I so so so so so want bad things to happen to the entire Boston Bruins organization.

44. CalgaryHab says:

You can’t fault the bruins and their faithful/media for acting the way they do anymore than you can fault a mentally disabled person for being mentally disablled – it’s in their genetic make up. They feel entitled to run around with a certain goonary and when the refs get in the way they cry like babies. There would have been a lot more calls if it was a team other than the bruins and frankly I’m surprised the called as many as they did.

• Dr.Rex says:

They get away with alot.

• Timo says:

And that ain’t gonna change. So even if it costs a few extra penalties and suspensions, Habs need to bulk up and get more nasty.

• Lafleurguy says:

Thumbs up. Vigilante justice is ugly at times, but it is often the only justice when bureucrats will toss guys for technicalities (“you came off the bench illegally…..), and not injury causing actions (Lucic on Ryan Miller was outrageous; I felt badly for Ruff that the only four-letter word he could use was “joke.”)

“May you live in interesting times.”

45. Dr.Rex says:

Dear Boston Bruin family;

The Boston Booins are the biggest bullies-cowards since Tanya Harding. Oh and Seguin with his triple axle and reaction was very similar to a Nancy Kerrigan. Except Nancy didn’t cry that loud.

Claude Julien should be ashamed of himself trying to point blame to someone else. Hey Fatty, you got beat, suck it up and shut your blabbering mouth you fool. Maybe CLaude should focus more on the antics af Marchand and Lurch.

What a joke that team is, all they do is punch in the back of the helmet and take liberties but if someone lays a gentle stick on them then they attack you. This is a classic case of trying to cover up a psychological weakness and is a direct correlation to the bully mentality on the playground. AS soon as someone steps up to them they need to raise the bar even if it means defeat to hide their child like insecurities. Unfortunetely for those CHildren in Boston uniforms they are led by a deranged bafoon and will never learn any man like qualities.

WE won, suck it up babies and prepare for a hockey rematch rather then dragging your knuckles on the ground and banging your chests to make yourself feel more craze driven. Act like human beings rather then a group of programmed humanoids that have been brainwashed Cavemen.

IN the Words of my favourite tv personality ” Down goes Boston’s integrity”.

46. Bripro says:

This is priceless.
    From Marchand, the rat….. of all people.

“..when you make a cheap shot like that…” referring to Emelin’s supposed cross-check.

47. True Colors sports fans.

Chara- “me Chara, me smash, me no like Canadiens”

Edit- I’m too busy to photoshop a pic of that neanderthal!

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

48. Say Ash says:

What was the trade BG had in place way back – something like Price and Pleks for Vinnie?

49. canadiens26 says:

Damn you Milbury. Why would you go and say those things? I just want to despise you.

50. The Dude says:

Am I hearing trade rumor talk of Vinny for Price this morning :idea:…Oh ,the life of a Pricebot :razz:

Here is where our Hab’s place in the 30 team league this week, compared to last week.

Points…………..32, for 3rd place… Last week 26 for 2nd place.

Goals For………68, for 3rd place… Last week 52 for 8th place.

Goals Against..53, for 8th place… Last week 39 for 3rd place.

Goal Diff………+15, for 3rd place….Last year -14 for 29th place.

52. Lafleurguy says:

Poll is closed. Best joke from the last thread was Clay stating that Milbury is suffering from temporary sanity.

53. Please, please Price supporters! Enough already! He’s no Dryden, no Roy, not a Howard, etc… He may yet get there, I hope and yes, every goalie has a couple of off days, but Price is currently not complete by any stretch of the imagination. He kept us in plenty of games last year and this year, the 6-0 loss to Toronto, the Loss to the Islanders and the shoot out with Pittsburgh still suggest he is not an elite goalie. But he’s the best we have right now and for the foreseeable future.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• Loonie says:

Henrik Lundqvist who is the near unanimous selection as the best goalie in the World has a save percentage hovering around .800 against the Habs in their last half dozen games.

I believe Roy was traded following a performance where he gave up eight or nine goals?

If you don’t think Price fits into the elite category of NHL goaltenders you wouldn’t know hockey if it slapped you in the face.

Perhaps you need a reminder that Emelin is the only regular defenseman this team has who weighs more than 200 pounds and coincidentally is the only one capable of moving players out of Price’s crease.

I don’t expect any of this to register with somebody who would compare a goalie in his early twenties to Patrick Roy and Ken Dryden, but in terms of the goaltenders in the game today. He is elite.

• The Cat says:

Relax, other people know hockey not just you. I said last year that Price’s numbers would suffer from the abscence of Hal ‘Octopus’ Gill. So people can talk of other goalies having better d-men etc but Gill was like an other goalie on the ice. Its not like Price has been hung out to dry throughout his career. Hes a good goalie but it bugs me that his supporters cant admit that hes not very clutch.

• Loonie says:

I’m perfectly relaxed fella.

People wanna crap on Price because he has the RARE game where he gives up more than three goals.

If you want validation that the occurrence is rare I’d suggest taking a look at his game logs over the past few years.

He is elite by NHL standards and that’s the opinion and statistical fact seen by people who know what they’re evaluating.

The people who don’t have a clue say he still needs to prove himself and isn’t yet among the league’s best.

And as I said before, they wouldn’t know hockey if it slapped them in the face. They’re certainly entitled to their opinion, it just happens to be blatantly incorrect. That’s not just my opinion, that’s the majority opinion.

• Habfan17 says:

I agree, it isn’t fair to crap on price, but you need to get your facts straight so they aren’t thrown back in your face

Subban is listed as 206 lbs, but after thus summer, I did read somewhere that he is closer to 215. Markov is at 209, Kaberle although not a regular, is 214 and very soft I know. Just saying :)

I do wish they had a couple of larger dmen with sandpaper. I would think Pateryn, given his age and size, would have been recalled had he not been injured. He is 6’2″ and 220lbs, and he plays with an edge. To me from what I have read about his leadership in College and his play, he is a bigger, more aggresive version of Gorges.

Habfan17

• Loonie says:

Kaberle isn’t a regular and there’s no way in hell that Markov is over 200 pounds.

Subban I will gladly admit was an oversight on my part but the fact remains that when you compare the defensive defensemen and forwards from the teams who have “elite” goalies to the group this team has, the differences are significantly in favour of the other teams.

• Habfan17 says:

@ loonie, this is why I don’t like commenting on your posts. If you had read my entire comment, you would see I mentioned Kaberle could not be called a regular and he is soft. I am always wishing that the league and the Habs would update player sizes since they seem to reflect the same numbers from when they were drafted. Having said that, I have no reason, or proof to say Markov is less than his listed weight. I do know that I have a friend who is 6′ and 210 lbs and looking at him you would not give him more than a buck 90.

One thing we both agree on which I also made clear, is the wish for a couple of larger, grittier dmen.

Habfan17

• TheLogician says:

sounds like someone’s in love!

Carey….he’s soooooo dreeeeammmmy. don’t you *dare* say my handsome cowboy isn’t comparable to Roy.

• habfan53 says:

Subban is 206 lbs and Markov 207
        So Emelin is not the ONLY one over 200

Like the DODGERS “Wait till next year”

• Propwash says:

Dryden, Roy, Howard and any goalie past and present has/had off nights too. The pathetic thing is when people wait until Price has a bad night and start chiming in. They want him to do poorly so they can feel better about themselves.

____________________
      DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• The Cat says:

I disagree. Its the Price supporters that cant even tolerate the mildest criticism towards Price. Im close to having a man crush on Prust but if someone criticizes him, I dont go ape shit.

• Loonie says:

That isn’t criticism Cat. It’s a false statement from somebody who doesn’t know what they’re looking at.

It bothers some people because idiots who don’t see Price’s value claim to be fans of the team and they’re either lying about that or in most cases just don’t know hockey and/or what elite goaltending looks like.

• The Cat says:

I wasnt talking about you, I appreciate your posts and the effort. Just talking about some people.

• JoshK says:

3-4 of the pens goals were the habs letting them walk into the slot uncontested. Sure you expect your goaltender to bail you out on those usually, but it doesnt change the fact it happened way too often that game.

54. Mr_MacDougall says:

1) Habs MVP so far?

2) How many goals will Patch end the season with?

3) who will lead the team in points?

55. Bripro says:

So now the Habs have one more echelon to climb.
    First overall in the NHL.
    But that would mean catching Chicago, and our hometown boy and family friend, Corey Crawford.
    This morning, there was talk of Corey representing Canada, bumping Carey down.
    To be honest, as long as it doesn’t affect the Habs in any way, I don’t have a problem with it.

• Loonie says:

Put Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook not to mention Jonathan Toews and Marian Hossa in front of Carey Price and then we’ll discuss Crawford being a better goalie.

I believe he’s very underrated but comparing him with Price is ludicrous.

• Bripro says:

Then call TSN 690 and complain to them.
        Don’t shoot the messenger.

• Loonie says:

I’m not complaining. Just saying it’s ridiculous.

Same as comparing Lundqvist and Rinne with goalies who don’t have elite defensemen and defensive forwards in front of them.

• frontenac1 says:

Crawford and surprisingly Emery have been playing great so far this year.My Buddy the Hawks fan still has a nagging concern with Crawford for some reason. Maybe like us and Price,Just Paranoid maybe?

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Crawford will have to prove it in the playoffs…

• Bripro says:

Undoubtedly.
        But to know the kid, you’d want to wish him well too.
        He’s a very smart and articulate young man.
        I just hope he tanks if it’s a Hawks – Habs final.

56. Mattyleg says:

Love this quote from the NESN article:

“A cross-check that broke Emelin’s stick found the ribs of Seguin in the middle of the ice.”

Emelin actually cross-checked Seguin’s ribs OUT OF HIS BODY!! That’s incredible! Credit to Seguin for carrying on without ribs! Even more credit to Emelin for removing them without shedding a drop of blood!

Those Boston media types really set themselves up for all the criticism they come in for.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

I’m not sure if your kids should read this story and watch CBC Manitoba news this evening, but I would like all those who know him to watch it.

HIO member and fantastic Hab,s fan Sargent Shane Oliver (Sholi2000) is a wounded Canadian war hero. He has become a great friend of mine, he grew up in PEI and now lives in Manitoba. I had the pleasure of visiting with him and his family around my pool this summer. And have enjoyed being with him at our HIO Summits the past few years.
    He suffers everyday from being blown up in road side bombs.

Ian Cobb…

Yes I have small issues from my past but it’s my concussions that have made me the way I am today.

Shane

58. Loonie says:

If Steve Tambellini and Kevin Lowe weren’t complete morons I’d be saying Dave Nonis is a genius.

But sadly I’m not left wondering how Dave Nonis got a fourth round pick for Mike Brown. He dealt with Edmonton.

Sometimes it’s just that simple.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Is Mike Brown that bad? I thought he could actually play a 4th line role. (I’m asking – I don’t watch the Leafs enough to know).

He can be an effective 4th line player, he won’t do much with the puck, but provides an effective forecheck and obviously loves to chuck them. But he has had some injuries recently.

• Loonie says:

He’s a slow, physical fighter who isn’t particularly good defensively.

A fourth round pick may not seem like much giving up a draft pick to add that kind of player is unbelievably stupid.

If we had given up a fourth round pick for a player like that today people would be justifiably up in arms.

• Kooch7800 says:

You have to remember though Loonie that they always have a top 5 pick in the 1st round….they don’t really care about the 4th round LOL

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

59. Rugger says:

It’s never too early for this: Play-off Magic number is 42 points either Habs gained points or Flyers missed points (Even though Flyers are in 8th, since they have played more games than #9 NYR, they create the lower Magic Number)

60. JUST ME says:

Can`t say anything bad about the habs . Really did not expect those results although i knew that everything that had to go wrong last year did….

I read and hear about changes that the habs should do and so far nothing makes sense since the habs are doing so well.Yes some players should play better but they are part of a winning team wich is way more important.

I for one would never change a winning formula but as we have seen with the trade Cole/Ryder , it does not always have to do with on ice results. Money is a big part of hockey as we know it and i tend to think that altough Bergevin must love what he sees, he also is looking and acting towards next year and the year after. So yes changes may be coming but if not, i am really satisfied with what i saw.

We have done well against everyone we had to face this year and even if we dropped a few games we can say that in the vast majority of games if not almost all of them we were in the game and worked hard for 60 minutes.What we see this season has nothing to do with the games we saw last year.

61. Kooch7800 says:

why not Move Moen and and a 2nd for Clowe? I wonder if San Jose woud bite on that.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Good idea… but I would give a third instead…

• The Cat says:

I think Moen may have lingering back spasms. Hes a tough egg and probably plays when others would sit. I know hes not great lately but I respect that dude. Im sure hes not mailing it in.

• Kooch7800 says:

I like Moen as well just Clowe has a bit more offensive upside. Not showing it this year but has in the past.

They are the same height but Clowe has 10 pounds on Moen and is a little meaner

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• billylove says:

The Sharks would certainly want more, but Clowe is not the same player he was 2/3 years ago. On the downward arc, he’s taking too many shots over the years.

• Lafleurguy says:

Offer a 1st and the Sharks will get chummy coming to the trade table.

62. Bripro says:

I’m not usually overly impressed with Tony Marinaro from TSN 690, but I have to tip my hat to him today.
    He’s called a Boston paediatric clinic asking how to get his baby, Claude Julien to stop crying.
    “Sir, what is your baby’s date of birth?”
    “1960”
    “Uh…..sir? This is a paediatric clinic.”

Then he calls a zoo in Boston to find out if the Chara giraffe can get along with zebras in the same cage.
    I almost had to pull the car over. Very funny stuff.
    And he promised to keep calling Boston this morning.

Stay tuned.

63. bel33 says:

One less d*che to worry about when playing the Leafs.. Mike Brown was traded to Edmonton this morning.

Edit: My bad… Kempie posted just below. Sorry.

64. Bardya says:

F. Gagnon was on AC last night…dissing Carey Price. Desperately trying to start a goalie controversy.

I saw that HF72 pointed that out last night. Apparantly Lalime tried to set him straight, but of course that was too intelligent for Frankie G to understand, as that sells less papers.

• Kooch7800 says:

…..that guy is a tool of tools. Anyone who thinks that Budaj is a better goalie than price should stop watching hockey right now and follow another sport

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Bripro says:

François Gagnon is usually quite articulate and knows his hockey.
      Yes, he was way off last night, because let’s face it, every goalie has an off-night.
      But IMO, he’s far from a tool.
      As for L’Antichambre, it depends on who they have on.
      Tremblay I could do without. PJ Stock I could do without, although in fairness, he does better in french than in english (I guess he doesn’t want to consciously embarrass himself as much as in english).
      But Carbo, Damphousse and F. Gagnon usually contribute.
      I would also wish they would flush the host. He’s such a tool!

• Kooch7800 says:

Sorry Bri, We have to disagree on this one. I am not a fan at all of Gagnon. He will do anything for a story…remember Mike Cammeleri last year? He blew that up so much it was sickening

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Right about the host…all he does is laugh at Bergie’s jokes…

• The Cat says:

I watched an abbreviated version on their website. But from what I saw -and it couldve been different than on tv- but I wouldnt use the words ‘desperately trying to start a goalie controversy’. They were all discussing the reasoning behind starting Budaj.

65. kempie says:

How about this?

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers
    TRADE: #Oilers have acquired forward Mike Brown from the @MapleLeafs in exchange for a 4th round selection in the 2014 #NHLDraft
    Retweeted by Dan Rosen

There goes one big truculent sack of crap.

• Stevie.Ray says:

To be fair, Toronto really needed to bulk up their 2014 fourth round picks.

The Leafs have lots of heavyweights left in their lineup with Frasor, McLaren and Orr. I doubt that trade happens if Burke is still GM given he and Lowe’s history.

This won’t help Edmonton on the scoresheet, but will give them a guy who seems to enjoy the role he plays. Toronto actually has enough depth now that he became excessive.

• Luke says:

I’m going to miss the Burke Press conference about how sad it is a team can’t carry for dedicated fighters & lamenting the lack of a fifth line…

• Ron says:

The laffs had to trade him West so that they won’t have him all over their own players in future games. An excellent 4th liner for any club. Tough as nails like Prust.

• chanchilla says:

I find it interesting because the flyers gave up a 4th for simon gagner. While Brown has hits merits without the gloves, i dont see these two players in remotely the same ballpark.

66. HabFanSince72 says:

Lecavalier is still an excellent player. But he is owed $45M AFTER this year.

Insane.

67. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

“Claude Julien, Bruins Have No Problems With Zdeno Chara’s Costly Decision to Fight”…neither do the Habs…Thanks!

68. I don’t get the Boston media and Claude Julien complaining about how embarrassing the Habs are for flopping all over the ice. One stick goes across the side of the Booins star Seguin and the world has to end, but cross checking DD in front of the Booins net, boarding PK, twice and all the other shenanigans that the Booins complete each and every game that they play is the real shame in this league. When is that pathetic thug of a team going to get truly penalized with head thug and lurchlike animal Chara getting the time he deserves instead of a pat on the back by Campbell for his “hockey plays”. I’ll never forget his callus attack on Max and comment that Max jumped into the stanchion.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

69. icky pop says:

Vinny trade rumours? Budaj won this weekend, and price lost? I think I know what’s coming ;)

70. Danno says:

Milbury and Healy are saying nice things about the Habs now.

WTF is going on?

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• Just Milbury. The other two grand-standers are all over Montreal for their “flopping” which is so ridiculous, like when Max was embellishing about getting a high stick that wasn’t called. Oh, they forgot that…

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• Danno says:

According to HIO blogger Strummer, Healey was on Jeff Blair’s show on the FAN 590 this morning and was complimenting the Habs for their speed and skill while criticizing Julien for his whining after the game.

• ont fan says:

Vinny never wanted to come here when he had chances. He won’t be coming now.

71. Ncognito says:

Knock knock!
    Who’s there?
    Dem Sum!
    Dem Sum Who?
    Dem Sum Habs You Have There!

72. ZepFan2 says:

First place Habs sounds GREAT!

———————————————————————-
    Ka is a wheel.

For Your Life

73. habsfannfld says:

No quit in the boys this year

74. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

How about em…two in a row!

75. Hobie Hansen says:

Chara went too far and cost his team the game, no doubt.

But what would your thoughts be if someone crosschecked Galchenyuk in the ribs, sending him crumpling to the ice?

76. Rugger says:

My reaction was, wow seguin went down with barely a touch, did he lose an edge? The feed I was watching never showed a replay as it was all Chara replays from that point on.

77. Hobie Hansen says:

So Seguin was embellishing when he was hunched over in the hallway, beat red face?

78. Rugger says:

Again, never saw that only replays of the fight. My reaction was when I saw it live.

79. Hobie Hansen says:

Again, what would your reaction be if someone crosschecked Galchenyuk in the ribs, sending him crumpling to the ice?

80. Danno says:

Don’t know if this is accurate but have a look:

JoshK
    March 4, 2013 at 11:31 am

I keep hearing about this devastating cross check that Emelin delivered to Seguin that the refs missed…

I didnt know you can cross check someone across the ribs with your stick pointed at the ice.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

Would his ribs come out of his body and be on the ice? I just want an exact definition of what happens to Galchenyuk. :)

I don’t blame the Bruins for wanting retribution, I just think Chara overdid it and hurt his team.

82. JoshK says:

Look at it yourself bro, Emelin’s stick is in ONE hand (which makes it impossible to cross check) and pointed down towards the ice (which once again, makes it impossible to cross check).

EMELIN DID NOT CROSS CHECK SEGUIN, plain and simple.

83. WindsorHab-10 says:

The more I look at Emelin’s hit on Seguin, the more it appears that Seguin dove. It looked harmless to me. I still hope someone out there will get Chara one day.

84. TommyB says:

I absolutely said the same thing when it happened, and my mind hasn’t been changed by any replays or media whining, since.

85. commandant says:

The hypocrisy is maddening. His team apparently doesn’t play that way.

I got so angry I did a rant on it today. The number of Butthurt Bruins fans commenting on my article is insane.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

86. jedimyrmidon says:

Bruins coach, players and fans just don’t get it.

They’re the dirtiest team in the league, take the most liberties, get away with the most and they ALSO complain and whine the most, and ‘preach’ the most about playing ‘properly’.

How can one organization be so delusional.

87. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

well PK destroyed that little faced punk already,
    he is still hurting from that hit…

the fight they had later did not cancel out that hit.

The N.A.G. (North American Grit) effect is the only path to success…
    without PRUST we’d be a total BUST

88. Prust for PM says:

Amen, Brother.

Cannonading drive!!

89. Lafleurguy says:

Hey Ben! I wasn’t going to post anymore today, but I’m having a big chuckle after reading your latest blog and the verbal jousting you’re having with presumed B fans……great entertainment! Keep up the good fight. Almost as much fun as the sparring match Berkshire had with the Rangers fans. Andrew gets the nod only because he was a guest on their site. This aftermath is so much more entertaining than the 2-1 loss at Bell. Let us know if you want us to sign up on your blogsite to help you poke the bear some more. :-)

“May you live in interesting times.”

90. Bill says:

Haha, for fans of a team that is supposed to be Big and Bad, they sure do cry a lot.

Full Breezer 4 Life

91. commandant says:

Any comments are appreciated, but yeah, I’ve enjoyed trolling them.

The ones where I make fun of their spelling and grammar (your/you’re) are the best, cause they get so angry. Yes I know I’m being a dick, but its too much fun with the B’s fans.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

92. Lafleurguy says:

A dick to Bruins nation is a hero in Habland. (Don’t want to use the word nation in referencing anything to with Les Glorieux)

“May you live in interesting times.”

93. Adam says:

I’m assuming you were a huge fan of that Roy trade after that “sieve” let in 9 goals against Detroit, right?

94. Danno says:

This is HIO not Leaf Nation

95. The Jackal says:

He’s still your mom’s favourite player.

96. Danno says:

He’d fit in well with those knuckle-dragging neanderthals Lucic and Chara.

97. ProHabs says:

LOL. Ok Claude Julien.

98. Danno says:

Would you like some cheese to go with that whine?

99. twilighthours says:

Wait a minute, who was whining after last night’s game?

Hmmmm are we a bit scared or paranoid that a trip to the Habs chat board was necessary?

All the best there Ronnie! Your schedule starts to get a little more difficult, we shall see your team in a few weeks again.

101. The Juice says:

Bruins fans showed true class as they booed Max Pacioretty when he was high sticked in the face.

Bruins fans calling Habs fans crybabies? Pot meet kettle ;)

Bruins only cup in 40+ years was a gift from the NHL…savour that feeling as it will be their last for a while ;)

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

102. habsgod says:

how’s cry baby claude doing?is he still crying?

103. habsfan0 says:

Not surprising that in a boiling caldron of racial intolerance that is the city of Boston, black athlete Joel Ward is called the N word when he scores series winning goal for Washington against the Bruins, it also explains those city’s fans reaction to PK Subban. And what a classy display by Claude Julien last night during his post game press conference. Rather than take the high road and congratulate his opponent for playing an excellent road game,he places the blame on everyone,except where it should be placed,on the dim witted,short sighted actions of his team captain,Lurch,who, when he isn’t trying to decapitate the opposition or playing the harpsichord, places his side at a significant disadvantage which the Habs capitalized on.

104. ont fan says:

Everyone likes a team and it’s fans who are graceful after a loss.

105. donmarco says:

1. If he can he will, he hits to hurt. Next time somebody will be there to protect him from thencave man.
    2. He doesn’t care.
    3. Last night. And the last time we played. And in 90% of the games these 2 have played against each other. Which is more than 700.
    4. I am not French and you are ignorant.

But sadly, your last pont is correct. Sometimes Habs are douchey. So are Bruins fans.

106. knucklesnilan says:

Why are you on this site? Do the all CAPS mean you are really emphasizing a point!! You my friend are a genius. Are you a Haaaaarvaaaarrd grad??
    Stay classy moron.

Go Habs Go !!

107. Cal says:

Don’t feed it.

108. slapshot777 says:

I think that was a “broad”, lol

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

109. twilighthours says:

Silly, your coach is the whiner. You getting this?

110. habsgod says:

why didn’t he ever try that to laraque when we had him? you know why he didn’t because chara would’ve got his ass whipped from laraque that’s why!

111. Danno says:

Your stoopid Ape Man cost you the game by going bananas on someone with a steel plate in his face. Chara is a cowardly piece of scum. Your idiot coach talks about embellishment but Seguin is the faker. Emelin’s stick was on the ice contrary to the false accusations. Or should I say it was a “hockey play”?

112. knucklesnilan says:

Score — 4 for us, 3 for you, I know it’s like math Einstein but
    I think you lost, so SHUT UP!!, you like the all caps, lol.

Go Habs Go !!

113. Marc10 says:

I’ll take the 2 points… please pass on my thanks to Claudette for crying like a little girl. It made it that much more entertaining.

114. Chrisadiens says:

It’s so hard sometimes Cal…..

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

115. HabFab says:

Your spelling is wrong, believe it is correctly spelled as W E I N E R.

116. L Elle says:

You meant to say, he was at a Weight Watcher’s meeting. :)

117. saskhabfan says:

LOL,no kidding.The guy hasn’t seen his own d#$k for so long its been declared legally dead.

118. Danno says:

The voice of tolerance speaks:

“I am starting to hate everything about Frenchie Canada”

119. saskhabfan says:

Yup,those tolerable bostonians. An entire section of an arena chanting “go home n$^ger”. Those ivy league schools in boston do nothing more then polish a turd.

120. ont fan says:

So Bruin..what do you think about Milburys take on the game.

121. Habilis says:

Only a Bruins fan could possibly look at it from that perspective. I hope it fills you with pride to watch your goons exact their brand of renegade justice. Too bad the refs have caught on though.

Point in fact, plenty of teams will be looking to do exacty what Emelin did last night, which is get Chara angry enough to do something stupid and remove himself from the game. In case you didn’t notice, your Bruins are a rather ordinary hockey team when he’s not on the ice. Better pray the big man stays healthy.

122. Dunboyne Mike says:

You win! You win!
    If you could stitch that onto a banner, you could hang it beside the one for your lone cup victory in 40 years. Lots of room up there in the rafters!
    And while Boston waits another few decades for its next Cup, we can ALL of us acknowledge the almost equal victory of the Bruins clearing up that whole celebration thing.
    After you finish stitching, get straight to mapping out the Boston-Gets-Rid-of-Taunting parade!

123. Sean Bonjovi says:

You didn’t need that underscore in your user name. You could have just picked “Bruins Fan” with a space between the two words. Anyhoo, if you want to upload a profile pic, just go to gravatar .com and create an account using the SAME Email Address as the one you used for this account (that’s important!). Make sure you give your avatar a “G” rating.

124. Mavid says:

yes they will..and yes they will…

125. The Jackal says:

QUICK! CAPTURE BRUINS_FAN! DON’T LET HIM ESCAPE!
    THE FIRST NEANDERTHAL TO EVER TYPE IS A RARE SPECIMEN FOR SCIENCE!

126. ooder says:

lol cross check. he barely touched him.the fact that the bruins have the refs and the nhl in their back pocket is nothing to be proud of.

127. TheLogician says:

“No Habs player will EVER again cross check a Bruin in neutral ice … ”

sure they will. next game. that play happens about 20 times a game. it’s just that most players don’t dive like seguin when it does.

also, since you’re here…

when i was a kid, i was convinced that they sold “fat suits” and “acne masks” at the boston garden souvenir shop (based on what i saw in the stands on tv). was this just my childhood imagination? or was/is it true? thanks for any info.

It is my understanding that Mr. Jacobs was hoping to have future game results decided by reputations rather than goals scored. Is this true?

129. donmarco says:

All teams are embellishing, that’s a problem right now with the NHL. And who the h*ll cares about your comment about hitting. We’ll continue to do what we’ve done the the vast majority of times we’ve played them. We’ll win.

If indeed so, would a team with a rich winning tradition be heavily favoured over a team with a rich choking tradition?

131. Sean Bonjovi says:

Denis Potvin would be all over that HB. Alfredsson got a major penalty for a cross check to the head over the weekend and Potvin argued through about five replays that Alfredsson reputation alone should make it a two minute minor.

132. habsfan0 says:

Try harder.
    You’re number 2 after last night’s game.

133. saskhabfan says:

What are bruins fans (especially the ones on twitter) going to do when they find out malcolm subban isn’t white?

134. Danno says:

Must be tormenting to have heroes you love yet hate at the same time simply because of the language they speak or the colour of their skin. I’d seek professional help about that.

135. jedimyrmidon says:

Not sure what to make of Toronto. Their offense seems to be putting up crazy numbers. Even against NJD tonight, Reimer was saved by his posts a couple of times, Kadri pots a completely flukey goal, …

Doesn’t seem like their defense or their goaltending should be that good.

Maybe I’ll eat my words, but they seem to be riding a huge wave of luck.

Frattin and Lupul returning could significantly boost an offense that is already putting up rather big numbers. Frattin with his 39% shot pct.

136. The Jackal says:

Laffs have a good offense but they remain weak on D and unproven in net. Their goalies are their only players I respect. Reimer and Scrivens look like good guys, it’s too bad they are Laffs. Other than that, the Laffs still play goon hockey and that irritates me.

137. habstrinifan says:

Love it!

138. christophor says:

His best before date predates his packaged-on date.

Smart guy, though.

139. WindsorHab-10 says:

I know we haven’t beaten the Bruins much lately, but the times we have it seems Julien has trouble giving us any credit & rather uses excuses like embellishment/dives & so on which really make him look like a sore loser.

The road to the Cup might also be through Toronto. There’s a decent chance that the Habs might face them in the playoffs. Speaking of decent, that’s exactly what the laffs are right now. You have to give them their due.

141. punkster says:

Reasons we don’t need a Parros:
    1) Employing hyperbole in an attempt to expunge the hideous memories associated with La-Rocks tenure with the Habs does not constitute a valid argument…check the standings.
    2) The revolving door 4th line seems to be doing an admirable job in most situations…check the standings.
    3) Having a goon go after a key player like Chara will result in nothing more than additional PP opportunities for the other team…check the standings.

And finally…check the standings.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

142. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I want a reserve enforcer and I’m of Greek decent BUT I don’t even want Parros. His time has passed. Anaheim, one of the most toughest teams, passed on him and picked up Staubitz instead. Find somebody else.

143. Habfan10912 says:

May I add goons aren’t often utilized in the playoffs?
    I’ll be back in a sec. Going to go check the standings again. :)

144. Sportfan says:

Imagine playing the Leafs in the playoffs the bad blood and the rivalry will get a huge kick start from that

145. JF says:

Agree about the laffs, Steve. They’re a decent team and should make the playoffs if their goaltending holds up. So far it’s been fine; I don’t think either Reimer or Scrivens has had as bad a game as Price did the other night. People like to mock Brian Burke, but after the terrible Kessel deal, he actually made some very good moves; the trade for JVR is looking great.

146. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Yeah…that will scare Chara…

147. issie74 says: