How about a goal to begin critical week?

stubbs

Hockey Inside/Out and Gazette columnist Dave Stubbs is filling in for Sports Illustrated’s Michael Farber with CJAD Radio-800 commentary weekday mornings at 7:55 a.m. ET, guesting with Abe Hefter. Follow Abe on Twitter – @hefteronthehabs – and the Canadiens at CJAD’s Habs page here.

Tuesday, Stubbs spoke of the Habs’ search for a goal, even one, with the weak-pulse Atlanta Thrashers in town, and the playoffs as they’d begin tonight.

Listen here to his chat with Hefter and CJAD morning host Andrew Carter.

1. chicgoods43 says:

fdsafds
    welcome to our website:

——- http://www.chic-goods.com/ ——–

if you like to order anything you like.

More details,

please just browse our website Quality is our Dignity;

Service is our Lift.

enjoy yourself.

thank you!!

——- http://www.chic-goods.com/ —–

2. xiaoqinhty says:

( http://www.urltwit.com//371 )

We can supply series of Sport Jersey.

The detail is as follow.:

Product features:

Heavyweight Mesh Body

Printed Name Plate

Dazzle Side Slits

Drop Tail

Authentic Embroidered NFL Equipment Logo on Neck

Screen Print Numbers on Front, Back & Sleeves or Shoulders

100% Nylon

Sell Details: http://www.urltwit.com//371

3. Mike Bone says:

Laraque? Seriously? What an idiot.

4. Mattyleg says:

Man, I’m excited about going to the game tonight.
    Usually not this pumped.
    Only 8 hours away… first beer now….?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

5. rob_c says:

Why do Gomez, Cammalleri, DD, and Gionta laugh when they run?

………..

Because the grass tickles their balls!

• Mattyleg says:

Man, you totally got that joke wrong!
      It’s ‘play soccer’, not ‘run’! They could be running on the street! Or a treadmill!

Eeshh…I tells ya….

Plus, you forgot to mention that Nathan Gerbe can’t play soccer at all because he gets tired hurdling the anthills.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

6. mrhabby says:

if habs do not make the playoffs…..what happens in off season. any thoughts.

7. ClaytonM says:

I really like this new format, where I go to this site to read about the Habs and there’s no stories, just a link to CJAD. Any other features coming soon, like links to TSN or Hockey Buzz?

Ken Dryden For NHL Commissioner

8. EastCoastJoe says:

People, in the words of Carey Price “Just chill out.”

After beating ATL and the Canes back to back, coupled with the Canes also losing to the Caps tonight, the Habs will have a playoff spot clinched Wednesday night. No worries. Gomer, Cammi and the lot are just resting up for the playoffs. No point in wasting their talents on a meaningless regular season.

just chill

• Exactly, they only need a couple of wins and that’s how they’re playing it. Not bad though, only two real slumps all season long. Not bad considering the injuries, the lack of production from Plekanec, Gomez and Cammalleri, and not one player over the 60 point mark. Now that’s funny!

Shane Oliver
      Brandon, MB,Canada
      R7B 2R7
      hockey@sholi2000.com
      Ph- 204 724 8418

• habstrinifan says:

You were doing fine until you introduced the resting until the playoffs comment. You 100% dont believe that and if you do then you deserve if PG stands pat with this lineup in the future … cause after all they are all resting for playoffs.

9. ZepFan2 says:

You know the Habs are doing crap just by looking at the Gazette sports page.

Articles on Johnny Bower, Evander Kane, Alex Tanguay, Ryan Miller and the Leafs. :eek:

The only thing about the Habs, “Must win games ahead”.

Le sigh

————————————————————————
    Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Head-shots League.

10. smiler2729 says:

What’s a goal?

*Perfectly content as a HABS I/O member for 3 years 16 weeks… now forced here, grrrrrrr.

Hey Dave, you too think that scoring a goal would be a good thing, eh? Great minds think alike, I tell ya.

12. Bugs says:

For the record: Teemu Selanne totally rules.

Chillin like MacMillan, potty-boy says he’s L. B. Potter, esq.

13. LA Loyalist says:

Finally! Some good news! The April edition of GOALIE!!! Magazine took a telephone poll of NHL goalies who voted that HABS were their favorite team to play against and Scott Gomez their favorite shooter… on newstands now….. We’re #1!!!…

…oh crap, I just realized, maybe that’s not so good…

14. Kimberly2u says:

I’m not holding my breath for a win tonight…there’s a reason why they have played the same the last 3 games..they don’t care or are too tired….hope I’m wrong and we get a big win

15. observer says:

Gomez was jinxed the day he stole Saku’s number.

16. shiram says:

So apparently Georges Laraque let out a “scoop” that the players don’t want to play for JM anymore. It was on LCN last night but I did not catch it, Anyone as some more info on that??

Kinda annoying to see a cast off butting in at a time like this.

• RGM says:

I am always surprised to hear that media people are still interested in hearing his opinion. Who better to ask about the team chemistry than the 4th line goon that didn’t stand up for his teammates about how the team feels about the coach?

Carey Price is All Hart! http://on.fb.me/CP31Hart

• 24moreCups says:

@RGM

I’m not saying I agree with BGL but I found it interesting when I read this

“Jacques was against the battle, he refused to go to war, he left me on the bench, why Edmonton.Phoenix with Pittsburgh and I always do the work and always been very respected in the league , and arrived in Montreal, my hometown and I decide to stop fighting?? No sense, if you talk to the players, they can even tell you how many times I wanted to jump into the fray and mix of things, not bad Jacques said, remains on the bench!”

That’s a quote from BGL.

• HabFanSince72 says:

1. Laraque is bitter and everything he says needs to be taken, not with a grain, but with entire caves of salt. Even if he wasn’t bitter, he’s a bit of a loon.

2. I never really bought this idea that players “don’t want to play” for a coach. I’m assuming these players want to do well for many reasons: personal pride, a desire to make the playoffs, better contracts eventually.

• icemachine says:

Is Laraque running as a Candidate in this election for the Greens? Is that why he is talking trash now?

Its time to switch to whiskey, we’ve been drinkin’ beer all night

• HabsoluteFan says:

I still don’t think it makes a difference. As players, if they have any pride, they would still go out and give it their all for the jersey…even if they don’t like the coach.
      Laraque, on the other hand, wouldnt go out and do his job, wich was to fight, for the team…That’s why he’s b*tching on a crappy t.v show instead of being in the line-up.

17. mjames says:

With the new layout I noticed we don’t get some of the reporters columns. For instance I have not seen Hickey’s or that guy Apron Assu’s column. Is it just me or are these guys not part HIO anymore.

mjames

18. Mike Bone says:

Maybe tonight’s the night Scott Gomez will break out and score a couple. We can hope, right?

• Hobie Hansen says:

I hope Gomez suddenly snaps out of his very long funk. I personally like the guy and he seems like a pretty cool cat.

I knew the boos would start soon and the last 5 games I’ve been screaming at the television to try and snap him out of it lol.

It’s starting to look like a no win situation with Gomez now though…

C’MON SCOTTY LETS GO MAN!!!!!!!

• Lafrich says:

I hate being a downer, but what has Scott Gomez ever shown anyone except for one good season? Take away that 33 goal season, and the man has never reached 20. Heck, he had 19 goals only once (in his rookie season), then 16 a couple of times. Aside from the 33 goal season: 776 games – 134 goals. That is an average of 14 goals per 82 games. In addition, he is only averaging 48 assists per season over that same span.
        Even defensive specialist, Guy Carbonneau, scored an average of 22 goals per season in approximately the same game total (and 32 assists average as well).

Bottom Line:
        A player that averages that point total, while playing 20 mins a game, including powerplay minutes, does not deserve the playing time he is getting, because at an average season of 14 goals and 48 assists, he is not only the most overpaid player, but more importantly OVERPLAYED.

• LA Loyalist says:

Dude, when you scream at the TV I don’t think he can hear you, often because the crowd noise is too loud.

19. WindsorHab-10 says:

We could be looking at only a 3 point lead on Carolina after tomorrow night’s tilt with the Canes if we don’t wake up and play with urgency. Canes also have a game in hand.

20. filincal says:

Down…the new Up.
    I like it.

21. eric says:

Cammy-Plec-Gio
    AK-Eller-Moen
    Pouliot-DD-Darche
    Halpern-Gomez- Pyatt/White
    PK back on first PP unit and Plec back to forward

22. Mattyleg says:

Going to the game tonight!
    Gonna see the poupounes wigglin’ their jigglin’ bits in the Molson Ex Zone.
    Last time I was there, they did a beer-ticket giveaway for the most enthusiastic fan throughout the game. The guy next to me screamed himself purple in the face every time the girl did it. Finally, near the end of the game (I think we were losing) he was one of the only ones still going nuts, so the girl gave him the last ticket with a bemused look on her face. The guy was thrilled. He came back with a small beer. I dunno if you’ve seen those small beers, but they look pretty damn small. He sat down and looked at it. I caught his eye. He said to me in a very, very hoarse voice, “it wasn’t really worth it.”

—Hope Springs Eternal—

23. Remi says:

Drove 8 hours from New Brunswick to the Bell Centre’s for Saturday night’s game against Washington.

Essentially saw the Canadiens put on an AHL performance.

At least i got to see the crowd boo Gomez. Time to wake up, playoffs are in two weeks.

• Kooch7800 says:

Don’t insult the bulldogs by referring to that performance. They would have scored in that game. Our call ups are our only real performers this year.
      Veterans are letting this team down.
      Hopefully that will change starting tonight

24. munch17 says:

Please JM – take Pleks off the point on the PP.
    Subban is better at the point and Desharnais cannot win a face-ff- Against Washington he lost every face-off on PP and since neither he or Pleks can establish the zone – bye bye PP.

• Since JM has put Halpern on a line with Pleks and Cammi, why not let him take the face-offs. He has the best face-off win percentage on the team.
      Or is that too obvious?

Ch EJ

• Hobie Hansen says:

For sure! I think they should have thwe Wiz on one side and PK on the other, Hammering pucks on the 1st PP unit!!!

• Mattyleg says:

Yeah, I don’t buy Pleks on the point for the PP either.
      I don’t like the ‘forward on point’ business in the PP.
      Keep defencemen there. Whenever there’s a forward there, there are inevitable breakaways and 2-on-1s.
      Keep a shooting d-man there. Subs. Wiz. Sopel, even.
      Gill has a good low slapper that we could be using too, strangely enough.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

25. observer says:

10 years ago then Anaheim GM Pierre Gauthier traded Teemu Selanne away to San Jose. Scored 3 more goals last night, making it over 260 NHL Regular Season goals alone SINCE the day Pierre Gauthier traded Selanne away.

• Maksimir says:

Yeah – but I remember that trade.. Teemu was doing nothing in Anaheim at the time and went onto SJ & Colorado and did nothing there either until he came back to the Mighty Ducks. I wouldn’t crucify Gauthier for that one.

As much as I would like to, I can’t blame him for the Habs lack of offense… he came out and said a couple times, that if he didn’t need to repeatedly fill holes for injuries on defense he could have gone out and picked up some help for the forwards.

• Maksimir says:

Speaking of PG – if he has cap space (ie: unload Gomez) I’d like to see him target one of these UFA this summer if they don’t resign:

Brad Richards
        Brooks Laich
        Tim Connolly

• observer says:

richards if he comes back to canada will go to toronto who has about $25 million cap room and all their core and top players locked up for next year. habs will be forced to use up whatever cap room they will have to fill the spots currently filled by those defense free agents – markov, gill, sopel, wisniewski, hamrlick and some of RFA Gorges.

That is why giving up young entry level d-men like obrynne and mcfadden will continue to haunt tem.

gauthier cant correct 8 years of blunders by doing something now – fact is clean house now and let a real pro – a success not a loser like him – run this team.

• Maksimir says:

I’ll agree with you that I would like to see a better GM in place, as for cleaning house… all they really need to do is dump Gomez, and I hate to say it but either Gionta or Cammallieri – these guys are carbon copies of each other.. trade Cam. in for a bigger power forward who can crash the net…

• habsfannfld says:

haha, who is this Mcfadden we traded away?

• Mark C says:

MacArthur, Schenn, and Reimer aren’t key parts of the core? Because they aren’t locked up for next year, yet.

• aroma says:

@observer: I think everyone has pretty well spoken: either think before you post or give us all a break and leave your keyboard alone.

• observer says:

yeah right! and ribeiro was garbage. and so was s kostitsyn. and so was grabovski. and so was dagostini. and so was obyrnne. and so was demitra. and so was latendresse. and so was kariya.

cut the excuse bs for this loser who has no idea of players values.

• Maksimir says:

Hey – I don’t love the guy.. but as for those ex-Habs you mention, they all played a lot of games and had a chance to prove themselves.. blame the coach, not GM… they just didn’t click.. happens to a lot of teams like that.. by the way O’Byrne is playing better in Col. but not that much better.

• observer says:

when you have so many they brand as trouble makers, punks and these guys wherever they go to whoever gets them and presto – no more trouble – well the problem is management here. gauthier and gainey hired and fired all the coaches themselves – the problem is THEM i have been saying it for years!

• Mark C says:

PG never traded Kariya. PG got canned in 2002, Kariya left after the 2002-03 season. Please stop lying to the good people of this site, Tony.

“Anaheim general manager Brian Murray was disappointed by today’s news, suggesting that his offer to Kariya and Selanne was competitive with Colorado’s.”

• Propwash says:

So, what you’re saying is they would have the same numbers if they were still a Canadien?

• HabFanSince72 says:

He only played two sub-par seasons with San Jose before leaving as a free agent.

• LA Loyalist says:

5 points for Selanne last night. Saku had a pair of assists.

And Jason Blake, who wasn’t good enough for the Leafs has been pretty good on that line. It goes to show how important good consistent lines are and chemistry. And not changing the lines every 10 freaking seconds (which Carbo was just as guilty of as JM).

Also Emery looks like a successful gamble, he’s 5-0 and last night was the first time he’s given up more than 1 goal.

26. Maksimir says:

I thought last week was a critical week?

27. Rudy says:

Would be nice to win some faceoffs tonight.

“Start the season with a clean equipment bag and a freah bucket of febreze!”-CharlieHodgeFan

28. Hobie Hansen says:

Hopefully some of our players have righted the ship between Saturday night’s and tonight’s game. And hopefully they’re able to stay out of the box.
    The only blueprint this team of undersized forwards can follow is to attack with speed, draw some penalties and be real good on special teams.
    With Gomez playing like complete garbage, Cammalleri not firing on all cylinders and the rest of the offence taking a slumber, unless we wake up, we’re in big trouble. We’re not going to find the answer playing even strength because we get pushed to the outside and the chances aren’t there.
    We saw it earlier in the year, we saw it last year’s playoffs but right now we’re not playing like a fine tuned machine.
    I also think missing Max Pacioretty is huge. He was one of the few players we had that could possible battle for space and create something out of nothing.

Oh and I used to think that Gomez was an upgrade over Koivu, even with his salary. At the moment i’d way rather have Koivu back on our 2nd line!

• HabFanSince72 says:

I’m not sure why everyone assumes that we are a fast team? I think it’s a lingering view from the Cournoyer and Lafleur era.

I watched a bit of Chicago – Detroit last night and those teams are fast.

We aren’t particularly fast. Our fastest forward is Pleks, and I don’t think he’s another roadrunner.

Our defence has to be the slowest in the NHL.

• The Cat says:

I agree 100%. I also think small players are associated with speed cause of the illusion of their legs moving compared to tall players.

• joshua94k says:

Nobody can outskate Brian Gionta.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Fast/skilled….

When Gionta, Cammallerri and Plekanec are in top from they can fly baby! You may be right though because it may not all be legs when they’re on, their passes are crisp and accurate and they can cover a lot of the ice…

• habsfannfld says:

They are all fast, but never used to their strengths. Zero forechecking and hanging back in the neutral zone, waiting for the other team to come to them.

• kempie says:

I watched some of that too. That was a very good game. I watched thinking that, man not a lot of teams in the east are going to be able to keep up with this kind of play.

• LA Loyalist says:

Thank you. Amen. Pass the whiskey.

29. RGM says:

I’m not sure whether it’s good fortune or a potential curse that the Habs close out the season with games against the teams in the 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, and 15th spots, plus Chicago. These are all games that, on paper, would seemingly give us the advantage as well as a chance to bury those team’s playoff aspirations. On the flipside, you look at the head-to-head record this year against those also-rans, and it might be cause for some concern.

Start with a win tonight, and take it from there. We’re still very much in control of our playoff destiny.

Carey Price is All Hart! http://on.fb.me/CP31Hart

30. ace011 says:

Who do you think Snaps the Scoring drought? My bet: DD Dave Deharnais. Anyone?

31. rob_c says:

How about Gomez doesn’t get 20 minutes of ice time to begin this critical week.

32. The Cat says:

Well apparently Canadian Tire has fuzzy dice on their website. I never noticed them at my local canadian tire. Next time Im there Ill ask a clerk or something. Last time I went I wasnt aware of my desire for fuzzy dice so I didnt ask.

33. JF says:

Unfortunately I agree with your friend. The only team in the playoffs the Habs would have a good chance of beating is Tampa Bay, whom they won’t face. Of the possible matchups (Washington, Boston, Philly), the one I actually dislike the least is, surprisingly, the Flyers. They don’t look quite so good lately, and I suspect goaltending will be a problem. I give us zero chance against Washington and very little chance against Boston. But what do I know? I didn’t think we’d win a series last year (nor did anyone else).

34. RGM says:

Make sure to wear a home jersey – nothing worse than spilling wine or steak juice on a beautiful road jersey. That stuff doesn’t come out easily!

Carey Price is All Hart! http://on.fb.me/CP31Hart

35. HabFanSince72 says:

I can’t imagine enjoying dinner at the Keg, even under those circumstances.

36. RGM says:

Noted and highly-respected Hockey Night in Canada analyst PJ Stock predicted “Caps in three” last year. You just never know.

Lost in the hysteria of the two oddball games is that in the regular season, we won four games against the B’s this year. That’s a good precursor, let’s hope. :)

Carey Price is All Hart! http://on.fb.me/CP31Hart

37. TINMAN17 says:

JF, I live in Boston. Believe me when I tell you, the Bruins and their fans will be secretly sh**ing their pants if we have to play them in the first round. If we win game 1, 8-6 and 7-0 magically will disappear. There is only one thing Boston fears more than the HABS and that’s the Yankees.

38. Dave Stubbs says:

I called Habs in seven over Capitals last season, in print. After I called Penguins in five. And I’ll email the in-seven clipping to anyone who thinks I’m a liar (on this claim, anyway).

Dave Stubbs

Hockey Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1
    • Email: dstubbs@montrealgazette.com

39. RGM says:

Pierre Gauthier, is that you? LOL

I love The Keg. I have a feeling it’s where I’ll end up for dinner next Friday for the birthday of the age about which I shall not mention.

Carey Price is All Hart! http://on.fb.me/CP31Hart

40. Lafrich says:

Agreed. But I can imagine enjoying a keg at dinner…

41. The Cat says:

I know a guy who actually bet the habs to win the series after they were down 3-1.

42. LA Loyalist says:

So what’s your prognosticonsternation for this year, oh wise one?

Will we ever score another goal?

43. rob_c says:

While I agree with everything you said, every team in the league can take that same advice. Unfortunately for us many of the teams have attributes that we don’t. We don’t have the size, and/or the depth on either the defensive or offensive side of the rink as some other teams do.

As a passionate fan I too have faith in this team and believe we have a chance to go to the finals. Im afraid that the only way thats going to happen with this team is if Price takes us there. If we had Markov, Gorges, and Max Pac all back and if Cammalleri was playing like he has in the past.. not to mention if Gomez played like he was at least worth 4 million/per….. that changes a lot of things.

I guess were gonna have to wait and see, heres hoping the guys score some goals for Carey tonight.

44. LA Loyalist says:

The only way one of our forwards aside from Desharnais crashes the net is if they are pushed. That’s a large part of the problem.

We have more coasters than a cocktail bar.

45. Kooch7800 says:

“A the floater K”

So much skill, speed, size if only he would use it regularly

46. habsfannfld says:

He uses it more than he gets credit for. Leads the team in hits, and will have another 20 goal season. I agree he has the talent to score 30+, but he takes a lot of heat for a guy who shows up on many more nights, then some of our other “top players”

47. Kooch7800 says:

I agree he gets ragged on but he goes 15 games with zero points quite a bit. With his skill set he should be able to do more (that goes basically for all our top 6).

He is so streaky. I personally think we need to try and trade one of GIO, Cammy and Gomez (Gomez being ideal) with a top prospect for a more consistent top 6 guy with more size.
    We are getting wore down.
    Look at the difference Pach’s did when he was in. Created room and stood in front of the net.
    We need a power forward

Well… there were plenty of those in the last 3 games… why do people complain about lack of goals?