Hot off the presses: this week’s HIO special section

It's going to be pretty quiet around the CBC without these two.

Here’s the latest batch of stories from the Gazette’s hockey writers.

Cole expects clean bill of health

Lockout latest hurdle in Desharnais’s career

Metropolit living good life in Switzerland

TV networks try to fill lockout void

1. Eastern-OntarioHabsFan says:

Hope that this is all sorted out before January…..

2. Ton says:

I like the defensive pairings list…….much thought into and very accurate i would say…….. the fighters……well I have seen a few in the last 40 years. Robinson and Clark Gillies weren’t fighters but feared therefore I wouldn’t have them on my list. Stan J was a good fighter, I don’t know why Pierre Bouchard would be off anyones list. If you watch the fight Stan was lucky he had a helmet on and tucked his head between his shoulders at the start of the fight. He got his big punch in that did the damage. Bourchard was tough and big!!! I dont classify Semenko to be a good fighter, he was big however. Chris Nilan was a great inside fighter, Larry Playfair as well……(he got beating from Brad Park, anyone remember!) Dave Brown great fighter as well terry O reilly. Being big helped but it was not all…….Im a Hab fan and some may not like this but pound for pound the best fighter Wendel Clark all the way. He was just like Roberto Duran! John Ferguson was also a tough son of gun!

3. Chuck says:

We should be watching the Habs tonight. Sigh…

___________________________________________________

4. Propwash says:

Dear NHL and NHLPA.

Please get a mediator, and settle this once and for all.

Thank you.

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

• L Elle says:

Hear, Hear!

Fans are smarter than the NHL and the PA.

• JF says:

By bringing in a mediator, the owners could settle this in a few days if they wanted to. I think everything hinges on how they feel about the Winter Classic, the 24/7 television show, and all the spin-off and publicity these events create. If they feel they’re really important to growing the game in the States, they’ll find a way to settle in late November, bringing in a mediator if necessary. If they feel they can easily recoup both the lost revenue and the lost fan base, they’ll sit back and wait for the players to cave in, scrapping the entire season if necessary. At this point I have no idea which way it’ll go; but I think if no progress has been made by late November, one of two things will happen: either Bettman will announce the cancellation of the Winter Classic (in which case the cancellation of the entire season will follow a couple of months later); or the owners will find a way to get the two sides talking. I just hope it’s the latter.

• Lizardking89 says:

If there is no agreement by then the season will be lost and there will be no real motivation for either side to return to the bargaining table. The owners need to stop playing games and get this done now!

• Cal says:

Same can be said for the players. Both sides should be going over common ground with a fine tooth comb until they agree and make a deal. Oh, and leave Daly and little brother Fehr at home.

• Thurston says:

Bettman is too smug to accept a mediator. He’s too smart for the room and wants everything his own way.

• commandant says:

Mediation could help in a lot of ways… but its not the be all and end all.

For mediation to work you need two sides that are both willing to compromise.

I don’t know what a mediator would do here, both sides are too entrenched in their positions.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

5. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Booked a flight to Montreal in July so that I could see the Habs and Bruins play on October 16th.

I’ve sat in a car and then arena with drunk Oilers fans telling me how much the Habs suck, suffered -30 weather to watch them play outside in Calgary and driven back to Kamloops immediately after they played the Canucks so I could make my 8 am mid-term.

This was going to be my first time seeing them play at home.

Thanks to everyone involved.

• Thurston says:

Oiler fans saying how much the Habs suck? That’s hilarious. Both Edmonton and Columbus fans are the last ones that should be ripping on another team.

6. shiram says:

Bieber fans have “defaced” the Rick Rypien memorial, after Bieber held a show at the Rogers Arena, a twitter war ensued, and a teenage girl received death threats, finally deleting her account.
    The memorial is in the Rogers Arena, and is usually written on to celebrate and leave notes about Rypien.
    Here’s a link to the story.

7. L Elle says:

I’m reading disturbing stuff. Maybe the lockout has created withdrawal symptoms so severe, we’re all losing it. ;)

Cal, who is complaining about the parodies? I used to read ‘em and love ‘em. I tried one myself, and found it very therapeutic.

I would recommend every memeber of HIO to try at least one themselves. The results might be hilarious.

What are we supposed to do, sit and cry in a corner? History has shown that even in the most dire of times, creativity flourishes.

No lines to tweak

No D pairings to decide

No goaltenders to argue over

Even Gomez’ contract is boring to discuss

So what are we supposed to discuss? I got one…Fehr and Bettman suck, they suck, they suck, they suck!

OK, I have nothing more to discuss for a while. :)

8. DorvalTony says:

Gorgeous getting $4,000,000 US a year. And the owners wonder why they only ‘take’ 43%. LOL

9. Habfan10912 says:

Hockey Inside Out Hamilton Summit (AKA Replacement Summit) News!

We are all set for the October 26th Hamilton Bulldog vs. Toronto Marlies Game. Here’s what you need to do.

You must call Greg Diamond at 905-546-8177 and mention HI/O Summit. Greg will let you know of the different price levels and take care of your order. Gold tickets are $20 for HIO members. He has assured us that we all will be sitting near each other. We may also have an opportunity to meet some of the Bulldog players.

At this time we have no other formal plans. Please stay. tuned for any further plans such as lunch, drinks etc… Thanks to Habinburlington for arranging this for us! Hope to see you all there!

———————————–

10. habs-hampton says:

I’m going to save around $6/month by not subscribing to RDS this year. I know its not much, but its a statement. If 10,000 more subscribers did it as well, they may notice, and their advertisers may notice, and maybe the advertisors and RDS will eventually complain to the owners (Bettman).

11. Cal says:

Reading this http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=407184

makes you realize that Steve Fehr and Daly have no clue. Nothing is going to happen on the lockout front for a long time. How hard is it to divide 3.3 billion in half, for crying out loud?
    Both sides are using evasive and vague language to describe their “negotiations.” Idiots all.

12. nunacanadien says:

You would have thought Marc Bergevin would use this time to improve the team even further. Sure he is ham strung with the lockout, but the work of youth goes on. Our future is still active out there. How come we are not hearing about the new habs super scouts making news? Or has MB already sold us out with yet even smaller, skinny and lightweight rookies in the Bob Gainey template? When are the habs ever going to be a real NHL team?

13. Lafleurguy says:

Best Defense Pairings

1. Scott Stevens/Scott Niedermeyer
    2. Larry Robinson/Serge Savard
    3. Denis Potvin/Stefan Persson
    4. Bobby Orr/Dallas Smith
    5. Paul Coffey/Charlie Huddy
    6. Doug Harvey/Emile Bouchard
    7. Ray Bourque/Don Sweeney
    8. Tim Horton/Allan Stanley
    9. Nicklas Lidstrom/Larry Murphy
    10 Slava Fetisov/Alexei Kasotonov

“May you live in interesting times.”

14. Bripro says:

What?
    No JohnBelleyfull’s “Day 27″?
    I guess he took the day off. The stress of non-event must be getting to him.

(Heavy sigh)

*********************************************
    “I’m here to tell you: Gary Bettman hasn’t felt this alive since he killed Harry Potter’s parents.”

• Cal says:

He mentioned he would be away today. *sigh*

• Bripro says:

So I hear you’re now skipping song parodies, Cal?
        Sigh…. there goes my only follower….

I guess I’ll go work.

*********************************************

• Cal says:

No. I’ve received complaints about the length my parodies take up on the page, so a link is smaller. I always read what you post, Bri.

• Bripro says:

…just pulling your leg, buddy!
            I liked your last one too!
            Have a good one. ;)

*********************************************

15. kempie says:

Nice photo. Ah yes that makes me feel better. Looking at the faces of our two national treasures, our icons of hockey as they apparently are busy trying to figure out something. Dinks. The photo reminds me of a quote from Curly, my favourite stooge, when he said “I keep tryin’ to think, but nothing happens”.

16. JF says:

The reality of the lockout is just beginning to hit HIO. Some posters have vanished altogether, others are creating song parodies or blackly humourous lockout diaries, others are talking about football, politics, poutine…. The trickle of real hockey news has all but dried up. And as the weeks drag on and the NHL and the players continue to dismiss each other’s proposals while arguing about hotel rooms and other such essential items, the situation will get worse. No hockey, not even any real discussion about hockey. A month from now, there will be little point in even logging on here.

17. HABitual Fan says:

HELP ME!!!!
    In the absence of the game…. I’ve turned to spaghetti westerns….almost to the point of obsession! My wife has noticed a drawl in my speech and I’ve found myself searching Kijiji for a horse!
    When will it all end????

18. Lafleurguy says:

No.1 John Ferguson
    No.2 Bob Probert
    No.3 Dave Schultz
    No.4 Dave “Tiger” Williams
    No.5 Georges Laraque
    No.6 Dave Semenko
    No.7 Tie Domi
    No.8 Terry O’Reilly
    No.9 Marty McSorley
    No.10 Stan Jonathan

“May you live in interesting times.”

19. commandant says:

The last of the Big 4 NCAA conferences is the ECAC.

I take a look at the conference. Of interest to fans here is Montreal Prospect Dustin Walsh, and Montreal Native (and Canes’ prospect) Danny Biega.

Walsh is a bit of a sleeper who has really improved since being drafted, and looking to have a big year this season.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

20. Brady Vail has 10 points in 8 games, Charles Hudon has 11 points in 8 games…both lead their teams in scoring…

The greatest Canadiens and NHL news-site: http://teliopost.com/
    Twitter: @teliopost

21. Cal says:

Due to criticisms of taking up too much space (scrolling forever to skip song parody posts), I created a blog you can visit if you like.
    As JB requested, he’s a little do wah ditty. Enjoy- or skip…

22. Lafleurguy says:

“The Ultimate Book of Hockey Lists,” by the Hockey News, 2008, lists Georges Laraque no. 5, and Dave Semenko no. 6 as the best all-time fighters. Numbers 1 to 4 will be posted later.

They also list Larry Robinson/Serge Savard as the second best defence pairing of all-time. More info to come.

“May you live in interesting times.”

23. HabFab says:

Interesting poll going there. For all the Player support coming from the fans, it appears that at the same time it is felt that they are getting too much of the pie…all things considered.
    Very very interesting say’s Artie!!

• Blondie says:

That sounds about right. I don’t think the two positions are mutually exclusive. I think most fans blame the owners for the lockout as this appears to have been their intention from the beginning. At the same time they realize that players are making an extraordinary amount of money in the current system and wouldn’t suffer much having a little less.
      You bet your bippy say’s Dick.

• commandant says:

Even the players last offer reduced the percentage so they aren’t even asking to maintain the status quo of 57%.

The problem I have with the poll though, is that the biggest issue between the two sides right now is the definition of HRR…. since they can’t even agree on that… how do we know what percentage to vote for.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• HabFab says:

The offer I saw had a conditional 6.1% yearly growth rate on that reduction. The NHL laughed that off because other then year one (10+% – NHLPA got access to the books) and the final year (10% -$215 ML TV deals), the growth rate has been about 4%.

24. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning. College Hockey on NBC Sports Network (Versus) starting Friday with Notre Dame vs. Maine. Here’s the TV schedule for US College Broadcast.
    Having no Jr. Hockey access here in the States we’ll have to get our fix here.
    The Canadiens have several draft picks in US college this season. They are:
    Dustin Walsh Dartmouth
    Josiah Didier Denver
    Mac Bennett Michigan
    Scott Kishel Minnesota Duluth
    Mark MacMillan North Dakota
    Danny Kristo North Dakota
    Mike Cichy Western Michigan
    Colin Sullivan Boston College

———————————–

• SmartDog says:

Helpful – thanks for posting.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Lafleurguy says:

Nice work J. Some trivia games can awaken the groggy noggin’ along with java juice. In addition to Ken Dryden, from the Big Red, what other notable Canadiens came through the college ranks? Hal Gill comes to mind but I’ll have to look up his school. Bill Nyrop and Minnesota?

Some intriguing trivia gleened from hockey/Habs books I’m reading:
      Ross Brewitt penned “Last Minute of Play,” in 1993 and profiled 25 hockey people including Yvan Cournoyer, John Ferguson, and Don Cherry. The luminaries were asked to quickly name an all-time all-star team, and Cherry named:

Goal: Gerry Cheevers
      D: Bobby Orr
      D: Larry Robinson
      C: Wayne Gretzky
      LW: Johnny Bucyk
      RW: Guy Lafleur

Interesting……

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Blondie says:

Would have loved to see Gretzky and Lafleur on the same line – scary sh*t for goalies.

• Lafleurguy says:

After Jacques Lemaire and Peter Mahovolich, Lafleur’s centres (note spelling) were Pierre Larouche, Pierre Mondou, and others who were good, but not all-stars. It accounts for why Guy scored 50 or more six times with the Habs, and 30 or less seven times. That and his smoking. Can you imagine an Olympic athlete smoking two packs a day?

“May you live in interesting times.”

• commandant says:

Kishel has graduated and is also no longer a Habs prospect as the Habs choose not to sign this former 7th rounder.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

25. Blondie says:

Jeez they get you up early out in Burlington. Out here in Brampton we get to sleep in until at least a little past 7:00. :)

Last link of the morning, and I think Don Cherry would be proud of Guy Lafleur for his latest comments.

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Gerald. Adored Guy as a player but my gosh. Sure glad he did not chose diplomat as a post hockey career.

———————————–

• Blondie says:

It seems like every time he talks to reporters lately he tarnishes his image a little bit more.

• athanor says:

Just how did those comments tarnish his image? They were rational, not unreasonable, and not off the wall the way Cherry’s can be.

• Blondie says:

It seems like he’s smug and dismissive. Like he’s saying “F*ck ‘em, they’re just Europeans.”.

I think Guy’s issue is he has no filter and doesn’t speak in politically correct terms. I read his comments as, Hey if you guys want to stay in Europe instead of playing in NHL, this opens up more jobs to players from over here. He isn’t asking them not come and play in the NHL.

At least that is how I read it.

• Blondie says:

Perhaps you’re right. I’m just being grumpy – need another coffee.

Good read from Grantland’s Katie Baker describing all the characters in the current labour unrest.

What is the over/under for number of games played by Dipietro in Germany before getting injured? 5 games?

Great to read that Cole is feeling better and appears to be soon given the clean bill of health. I was very concerned he may have a sports hernia type injury. Hopeful that the nerve which was creating discomfort doesn’t reappear during the season (yah wishful thinking) and create problems.

I suppose it is a bit easier for Cole this lockout given he has a 2million guaranteed bonus coming his way, if he hasn’t received it already.

Any updates on Bourque?

30. commandant says:

Bozon with 1 goal and 1 assist tonight. Kid has 12 points in 7 games. What a great pick, and the biggest thing is he’s a LW, a real position of need for us.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• centre hice says:

With last night’s game, Bozon is tied for 3rd in WHL scoring.

He’s only 18 and the rest of the WHL scoring leaders are 19s and overage 20s.Plus it’s only his 2nd year in North America. What a great pick!

Timmins dominated the 2012 draft. Vail, Hudon, Bozon………wow!

31. Mr. Biter says:

Hot Rumour: Cherry to coach Habs replacement players and to keep the fans interested vows to wear different suit every period.
    Bring the sunglasses.