Hossa soon a Canadien: Yahoo report

Yahoo Sports, citing an unnamed NHL executive, is reporting this morning that Marian Hossa will today join the Canadiens in exchange for at least Michael Ryder.

1. teamplayer says:

yeh itll end up being nother team coming in… and if that doesnt happen gainey should take back his trade knowing that no one else is in play

2. coutNY says:

One non-North American being a nearly 50 goal scorer nearly 100 pt getter on RW… with Selanne?

3. nightmare_49 says:

Richards has a no trade clause and will waive it for the right to pick the place he wants to play for next. Montreal may not be in the picture?

4. showey47 says:

Waddell is gonna hold out as long as he can to get a maximum return for hossa, putting myself in his shoes i can’t really blame him.

5. krob1000 says:

That is the same argument as the no European captain has ever won junk. I am Canadian I come from the same hoemtown as Don Cherry….I worked with his nephew who coached Spezza and the Ice Dogs. I also am aware as are you I hope that strictly mathematically speaking the majority of players are Canadian. Europeans have only really been around the last fifteen years in large numbers. In the early years there were very few captains now there are several. Let’s assume there are ten out of thirty teams NOW that are captains ( I don’t remember exactly and today won’t be bothering to research it) then that only means there is a one in three chance that a foreign captain wins. Remind me of this argument after the deadline another day and I’ll look up the numbers for you as I have disproven this on here long ago when guys were knocking the Markov’s, Kovy’s and especially Koivu on here.

6. coutNY says:

Great he could come in and tell everyone in Montreal, after we exit the playoffs in the first round, how great it to win a cup in Tampa. Since his Conn Smythe and Huge contract, they’ve exited the Playoffs the first round 2005 and 2006.

Having a great year does not make him a Playoff performer. Being from Canada does not make him a better hockey player than Hossa. We can find a better player for his money!

7. habfan53 says:

Not necessarily Carbonneau said yesterday in his post practice press conference that a lot of the players minds would not be on the practice but more on the deadline so he figured what was the use.

8. teamplayer says:

sportsnet guy says: waddell playing his hossa card too much for ottawa

9. wild flower says:

from Atlanta’s version of Stubbs/Boone:

Montreal closing in on Hossa?
    By Craig Custance | Tuesday, February 26, 2008, 07:53 AM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Montreal – Good morning. The craziness starts today. I’ll post everything on this blog in the comment section as I’m hearing it. Montreal seems to be the serious front-runner for Hossa, and I wouldn’t be surprised if something is close if not done. I’ll let you know for sure ASAP. Ottawa was seriously in the mix last night, so we’ll see what happens. In the meantime, what did you think of the Boyle and Prospal deal.

10. Norm0770 says:

Just to be a pain in the a** and channel a little Don Cherry, the Ducks only had 3 non-Canadians on their Cup winning team last year.

With that said, yes all of our best players are European, and I would not trade any of them for Richards, even if you don’t take his salary into consideration which is a huge negative.

11. Rocket1960 says:

Check out my awesome ice-level vids from Gainey’s jersey retirement night:

Rocket1960

12. wild flower says:

I’m talking Stanley cup not the Olympics. Most times the MVP is Canadian and I think the Habs could use a few more. Even more so if Ryder is not a Hab at the end of the day.

13. tony d says:

the team was told to stay away from the Bell Centre till 5….for Brisebois, forever

14. habsgod says:

that unfortunately will not happen t.b. requires a #1 goaltender and right now we need both huet,and price!!

15. krob1000 says:

Especially given his contract’s reasonable rate but I don’t see it happening….Hossa is our man (trying anyway). I am hugely in favour of going after one of these guys and was before 90 percent of the posters on here but to go after two would cost more of the future than even I am willing to part with.

16. Will Longlade says:

Not a chance. I think Huet is in play.

17. Will Longlade says:

That’s typically the way these types of deals are done.

18. Jay in PA says:

Yes, there’s that element to it, but he adds size, scoring, grit and leadership to the team. I’d be willing to part with more for him, absolutely.

19. krob1000 says:

Tha Dallas package is a rumour for what they are offering for Richards….the same Yahoo site that reported this said it will also happen today (Richards to Dallas).

20. Will Longlade says:

I’ve been a Hossa basher up to this point, but he probably does represent the optimal fit for Saku. If he came w/ a little more grit that would make him a perfect fit.

21. krob1000 says:

That is very true Showey and thank you for pointing that out. Savard is a lot like Koivu and that amkes a lot of sense. I’d really like to see Higgins be the odd man out on that line and have Sergei helping feed Hossa as well. Higgins is a worker but his offensive instincts aren’t on par with the better forwards (although his skills can be and often are). I just don’t know if at this stage in his career he thinks the game fast enough to be on a line with guys like Koivu and Hossa. Sergei is young but is smarter than 90 percent of the league already. He just has a knack for doing the right thing…..and he isn’t afraid to muck it up in the corners so I’d like to see that combo if this does go down.

22. nightmare_49 says:

Atlanta doesn’t need a goalie (Smith) so the Dallas package wouldn’t be of interest to Atlanta and Dallas is not trading for a rental.

23. Will Longlade says:

Sounds like some roster players are definitely moving. Please B.G., not Higgins!

24. krob1000 says:

Being Canadian hasn’t helped us too often at the Olympics. That is a ridiculous statement in this day and age. Our best players are all foreign…..should we trade them all???? Who is our best Canadian player???? Quick ……YOu have to think about it …for a while don’t you. That is the new NHL and it is necessary unless there is a ten team retraction which will never happen.

25. showey47 says:

thrashers also lost marc savard 2 years ago he was also close to a 100 point guy for them. The top center for the thrashers this year was eric perrin with 36 points. I think both koivu and hossa would both thrive off each other

26. wild flower says:

Richards would bring an attribute that many have recognised as important to cup champions and that Hossa doesn’t have: Canadian citizenship. But I guess if he doesn’t want to play in Montreal its all academic.

27. wild flower says:

28. nightmare_49 says:

You’ll have to give up more for Jokinen he’s not a UFA.

29. krob1000 says:

Last season they played together more and Hossa got 100 points this year he played secnd fiddle and still managed a point per game. Hossa is a perrenial point per game and 30 goal plus guy…he should be be welcomed with open arms and a lot of cash.

30. coutNY says:

Conn Smythe maybe in 2004, but since then he’s nothing of the sort! He’s not that big. He’s a lifetime -55 plus minus. (currently -25). Never been a 30 goal scorer…

Not a $7.8 plus a top goalie??? The game of hockey is about Cap $$$ why would we handicap ourselves for 2 years? Basically paying double what we pay Koivu for same amount of production? Koivu’s a playoff performer too…

31. nick says:

thought he said it was at 11? 😉

Canadians are skipping their practice today, and were told to stay away from the Bell center until 5PM.

32. KeepRyder says:

Actually, the one year contract was Ryder’s idea. Gainey and the Habs were looking for two or three years at less per year than he got this year, around 2.25 mil.

As for Koivu, I only said I liked it, never said it was going to happen.

Again, keep as is and get some grit. that’s what I want.

_________________________________________
    It can only get better!! Go Ryder, Go Habs!

33. moser17 says:

John Lu on TSN just said that “the universal feeling” among Thrashers players yesterday was that Hossa had his last practice with the team. Speculation that he won’t be on the ice for practice this morning at 11:30amET.

34. Habsville says:

Hey Jason

Your right that Richards carries a big 7 million contract. If we send four guys to Tampa and subtract that, like Ryders 3.5 I think we have enough cap space this year with 4.225 to spend. If the cap goes higher next season this contract may be affordable in my HOI. I prefer a good canadian player to have rather than renting Hossa. I stay hopeful for this until the dealing is done today.

35. wild flower says:

Hossa -14 56 pts (11 more than Saku on a team with Kovalchuk). If he had been playing with the Habs we would probably be talking about what was wrong with him.

36. HKisses says:

Same situation we were with Souray, in the end of everythign we should have dealt him away….Im sure Waddel knows what he is doing.. lol

37. piche says:

Ryder will punish us… I wish he was staying – or going to the West.

38. showey47 says:

Atlanta is 7 points out of a playoff spot, second last in the conference and second last in their division. I know they are not mathematically out of it, but they are out of it. Either way hossa is not coming back, they need to get something for him.

39. Habhopeful says:

Im sorry just my opinion that richards is not worth his 7.8 million dollar per year contract and im sure alot of ppl would agree with me…

“Like, you can’t get a girl pregnant when she’s on top man, I mean, its gravity…Just can’t happen.”

-Jason Segel

40. coutNY says:

Just like Ryder did this year? He has been among the leaders in PP time and Quality ICE time. Previous 55 games 7 goals? Gainey like it or not had the chance to sign him for a long time, but made it clear by a 1 year contract that he was not a part of his future plans. Maybe if he’s around he’ll change his mind, that is if Ryder can keep his game to that 4 game level.

Koivu, as stated by me and many others, will not waive a NTC to go to a none contender like FL. Why would he anyway with HIS team doing so well, and as he stated when the Marleau rumors floating around he does not want to go anywhere. The rumor is a dead horse stop beating it!

41. piche says:

I agree regarding Jokinen. I’ll take Hossa in a heart beat but I would be willing to give up more for Jokinen.

42. wild flower says:

If the big part of the deal that would bring him to Dallas is their backup goalie, why not Halak/Huet. I think I would rather have a young expensive Conn Smythe winner than a rental expensive playoff choker.

43. piche says:

The best news for tonight is that, in any case, we will not have to face Hossa. Hopefully we will not have to face Ryder.

44. Jay in PA says:

I’d still rather have Jokinen for all kinds of reasons, but I could live with this one depending on what it costs us. The question is, will it be the only move Bob makes?

45. KeepRyder says:

Atlanta is in the running for top spot in the Southeast. Unless they get a tremendous amount for Hossa, why would they want to trade him. As much as I like Ryder, replacing Ryder with Hossa really doesn’t make sense from Atlanta’s perspective. They need players, not prospects or picks. The proposed Dallas package for Richards is similar to what Atlanta wants. What do we have that is of the same value?

___________________________________________
    It can only get better!! Go Ryder, Go Habs!

46. Shobud says:

In the last twenty games we have scored enough goals to win most nights, if we had someone to keep the goals out of our net..If this goes thru I think we will tank and not go past the first round..Hope I am wrong but I don’t think so.. I notice ottawa is going so great with their trade They killed themselves too

47. RS says:

Maybe the Leafs could trade Antropov for Crosby?

48. Smart Dog says:

I hope this is wrong. I would hate to lose Grabovski and two other players for a rental. No rental Bob! No rental!

________________________________________________________________
    Habs Fans! The FUTURE looks bright:
    Plekanec, Higgins, Chipchura, A Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Latendress,
    Price, S Kostitsyn, Komisuarus, O’Byrne

49. Habhopeful says:

I wouldn’t mind richards if he didnt bring a huge overpaid contract, plus dallas and columbus are in thwe running for him, dallas is offering Mike smith and jussi jokinen and maybe more…tampa really needs goaltending

-Jason Segel

50. Sehs says:

And then Ryder gets a hat trick in the game and Hossa finishes -3?

51. Habsville says:

What would it cost to get Brad Richards? The club can give up some of the AHL prospects that have been mentioned and a couple of UFA on the team now. I would rather see Brad Richards in a Habs uniform than Hossa.
    A 4 for one trade is what Tampa needs. They have little cap space left with the signing of Boyle and the contracts of Vinny, St. Louis and Richards. I think Bob will bring Richards on board as the big centre we need without sending any core players to Tampa. That’s my hope before 3 today.

52. Habs64 says:

What’s up guys? Who needs a coffee?

53. KeepRyder says:

Won’t help when he gets QUALITY ICE and PP time in Atlanta. Especialy the PP. I am telling you and everyone else. Don’t give me he got that here and we tried blah, blah, blah… Lots of slumping Habs should have had either hte seat next to him or his seat, but yet didn’t happen (see higgins, Latendresse). What was wrong with Ryder is long gone. Trade him and he will, not only tear up the league, but he will have big games against the Habs.

4 goals in the last 4 games. If this is a what have you done for me lately type thing, where is Higs and Koivu lately. And, why is everyone so enamoured with S. Kost.? I haven’t seen anything to want to keep him. he could be trade bait too.

Personally, I like the Jokinen for Koivu rumour. Makes sense for both teams. What have you done for me lately. Take penalties in the offensive zone, minus player, etc, etc….

Sorry for the venting. I like our team the way it is now, believe it or not. What we need more than anything is some size up front. Need more sandpaper. Hmmm, wonder who leads the Habs forwards in hits?

____________________________________________
    It can only get better!! Go Ryder, Go Habs!

54. showey47 says:

If we don’t get hossa or any other “impact player” i hope bob does get the shut down center we need. If we don’t improve offensivly, we definatly need to improve on the defensive side

55. kevrob says:

I keep getting this image of what could happen this evening at the game if the trade goes through. Ryder collects his belongings, says good by to his buddies and strolls out of the dressing room. Head hanging a little low, trying to remember where the away dressing room is. As he heads in the direction he sees Hossa heading past him with a grin. They pass each other in the hallway giving each other a slight nod. Hossa opens the door and enters his new home, as Ryder turns, he hears a load cheer followed by laughter erupt from the dressing room. A lone tear rolls down his cheek as he makes his way to his new home.

56. bigjames says:

if that is right, then maybe gainey is proving the ultimate poker player, bluffing that he wants hossa til the last minute, then saddling ottawa with him. not that i think hossa is a deadweight, but i do think the last 2 game malaise has something to do with the trade deadline. and if the much anticipated hossa trade goes down, do the respective players play for their new teams tonite? that would be very strange…

57. Blarneylad says:

exactly, I did not think of it that way, but if they did outbid us and then resign him, they’re offense will be dangerous but they won’t be able to have depth which in my opinion they already are lacking a litle bit

showey – maybe in a perfect world, Ottawa outbids us for Hossa, the Sens then slowly self destruct over the next two years and we eventually become the winners in our conference. For me, the rumoured price for Hossa is getting too high. Maybe we should pull back.

The Original 24 Cups

59. showey47 says:

This only benefits us for years to come.

60. HKisses says:

Good Morning everyone….Some snow outside and at working hoping Hossa comes to MTL…I think TSN and all these sports guys put Ottawa in the mix to stirr up the pot and make it exciting…when in reality we are getting Hossa either way

61. Blarneylad says:

the sens can’t afford to extend hossa past this season, so to trade vermette for a playoff rental would be stupid. There is no way the sens can afford to become a 4 player team. The lightning have already shown that that does not work in the new NHL.

62. usversusthem says:

I’d like to wager a whole lot of money that we’ll hear something in say, the next… 6 hours… and um… gonna pick a number at random here… say 20 minutes… yeah. That’s my word and it’s final.

63. nick says:

Should we start taking bets on what time we’ll hear something?

64. usversusthem says:

I can only hope Hossa also knows how to beat Lehtonen… hahaha.

65. TradeRyder says:

The Habs D know how to shut Ryder down. No worries.
    _____________________________________________________________
    On Tuesday I will change my name. Any Suggestions?
    – SitSlowinski?
    – 4thRoundorBust?

66. Robert L says:

Here’s the link – I think Cox swallowed something dangerous.

67. Edwardo says:

Wow………….Damien is way out to lunch on this one!

68. KeepRyder says:

Well, you all know my position. I would rather lose Lats and Grabs, but Ryder is a proven commodity who will tear up the Southeast conference. And that’s another thing too, that conference will suit Ryder’s game just fine. I believe that before any trade, we need to make sure Hossa is going to stay for a while. Get the extention.

Believe me, you guys know that every time Ryder is back in Montreal, if he is traded, he will score and score some more. If he’s not, he’ll get his 20 as a hab. That will be better than most on the team.

Can we get some grit (as opposed to Grits) with that from Atlanta? Throw in Eric Boulton too, and give them Smokes or Dandy.
    ____________________________________________
    It can only get better!! Go Ryder, Go Habs!

69. Robert L says:

It’s official nothing is official yet!

This is going to be a crazy day, man. I predict a record number of posters to HIO, especially if we aquire the big fish!

For myself, I don’t want to see Lapierre go, but Ottawa is totally stupid to get rid of Vermette.

Gainey In A No Win Situation

Habs For Breakfast: Trade Deadline Day Edition

70. tony d says:

so if and when it happens do we all yell YAHOO?

Damien Cox stated in today’s Toronto Star that the Laffs should trade Antropov – with one posssible deal being with Montreal for Higgins and a 1st rounder. Pardon me?!

The Original 24 Cups

72. wild flower says:

TSN mentioned an example trade:

Ryder Grabovski Lapierre = Hossa

also mentioned this would be simple a rental with not much chance of Hossa signing to a longer term