Home-ice playoff skid hits five games

Canadiens coach Jacques Martin said last night that his team played just 12 bad minutes against the Washington Capitals in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference quarterfinal. Debatable, perhaps, but now the Habs must regroup today and try to make adjustments to prevent the Caps from putting a hammerlock on a series which they lead 2-1 after last night’s convincing 5-1 victory.

The Canadiens are now riding a five-game Bell Centre playoff losing streak, not having won on home ice since a 4-3 overtime victory over Philadelphia in their conference semifinal on April 24, 2008. They’ve since lost two to Philly in that series, two to Boston last season in their conference quarterfinal and last night to the Caps.

The Capitals hold an optional workout late this morning at the Bell Centre, with the Canadiens scheduled to practice later in the afternoon.

Updates and audio coming here from Stubbs and Hickey later today.

1. jimmy shaker says:

MAB will be back with Marky tomorrow night…..and if the refs would get it together and call the goalie interference, then we don’t need O’Byrne.  O’Byrne was dragging down Markov when they were out there together….at least MAB has some speed to get back and help when Marky does his pinch thing.  I just don’t see what your take is on MAB.  Yes I like MAB, but if I had to pick MAB or O’Byrne…I take MAB anyday.  You would go the opposite of me, and that’s fine.  We’ll just agree to disagree.  But again, I think MAB has the quickness, the ability to push the puck, the offensive capabilities and although not the best defensive skills, he has shown most of us on here to be quite adequate.  THere isn’t enough offensive push from our D to sit MAB in favor of O’Byrne.  I think the caps would exploit O’byrne a hell of a lot more than you seem to think they are doing to MAB.  But we agree to disagree basically.  Tomorrow has to be different, because it’s everybodies biggest game of the year……MAB, Metro, Price etc.

2. Mr_MacDougall says:

Tom, did you notice the furious look on Pollack’s face as he was giving AK46 the phantom highsticking penaltie early in the first? He looked like a mad man unleashed from years of captivity. Made me sick. AK’s stick never came up past his mid section. That was OK we killed it off.

Then, we get a PP and Pouliot has the first goal of the game on his stick ten feet from the crease all alone… he gets hooked off the puck, phew, a 5-3 PP for 1:40… WAIT NO CALL!!! Hmmm, interesting, a glorious chance in the slot and he gets spun around by a hook, convienient.

We fall apart.. ok we did.

Gomez 10 minutes.. what the F for?

Pleks an extra 2 for unsportsmanlike? are you kidding me? he just got leveled without the puck. Ok Ok, we kill that off and score a PP Goal… Hey there is still hope.. all we need is a quick break to get within 2, the Caps are looking scared.

Here’s our break.. another PP, alright boys here we go!!!!   NO NO NO NO, you can’t have a PP, AK$^ get the hell off the Ice.. this is the Caps Game.. take a seat.

3. Xtrahabsfan says:

Sounds like Canadian politics………

4. BoomBoom says:

Well said Ian and Tom. I am not a believer in conspiracy theories but I am starting to believe in  a ref-bias in favour of Washington. The refs have been awful and down right pathetic. From Saturday nights goalie interference to last night’s thin skin. I think the biggest issue facing the NHL is the quality of its officiating which is unprofessional, inconsistent and terrible. It is starting to really p*ss me off!  Pollack and Sunderland must have small packages and need to prove they are real men  by some other means. It was a Chris Lee performance.  I really hope the refs get better because the Habs are still in it.

5. Bugs says:

What the heck do you think the Caps are tellin themselves? NOT to win the next game first? C’mon.

Same thing.

So back we go to the bottomline: we gotta win 75% of our remaining games in these playoffs while the Caps need 50%.

Yeah, yeah, one at a time though…

Superfluously redundant, I remain

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

6. Xtrahabsfan says:

Timo,can’t blame you on your frustration cus it’s been like 20 years since the Habs have been a real team…..one day bro ,one day it will happen…..I will say this ,I don’t think I have seen sooo many fans leave the Bell at the half way of the third and that’s a big statement from the fans….If I were the Molsons I would pay attentions to it cus it’s a lot like beer drinkers choosing Labatt’s…..

7. SeriousFan09 says:

If you’re not big, be fast and good with the puck. MAB isn’t half of what Markov is when handling the puck, that’s all there is to it. He didn’t suddenly become a better defencemen in the post-season, he’s just playing against an opponent at first that wasn’t sure about what he could do, now they are and they know he’s about as useful against Ovechkin as a speed bump against a tank.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

8. TomNickle says:

What specifically do you see Bergeron doing that leads you to believe he’s outclassed anymore than our other defensemen?  I’m really not trying to be snippy, I want to know.  I see the turnovers late in the game, BRUTAL.  But there wasn’t a guy in red trying at that point other than #31.

I want to know what you’ve seen from Bergeron in this series that leads you to believe he’s outclassed.  I would’ve bought this argument in the regular season but I don’t right now.

With Jacques Martin at the helm, we are doomed to be a good team instead of a great one.

9. SeriousFan09 says:

You do know that Markov was probably trying to cover up for MAB since he can’t hack it on the top pair correct? Markov has been overworked for years with his weak D partners, he was better off with OB because at least OB could do physical work while Markov handled the puck. Markov has to do everything because MAB is not a real defencemen, WSH figured it out and now that pairing is dead. Markov has to do everything, because MAB can’t, he gave away the puck twice in 4 seconds to make it 5-1.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

Not many people including media can stand up to the power in the NHL today. But I am hear to tell you that I am well aware of corruption in the game. So anything is possible to be sure. Including favouritism.

There are big bucks, big ego’s and dirty politics throughout our game. All of it is covered up by slick lawyers and agents from head office to every level of our game today.

11. TomNickle says:

He isn’t making near the number of mistakes that Hamrlik or dare I saw Markov are making with the puck.

If you want to put in O’Byrne and take out Hamrlik, fine, but Bergeron should not be the scapegoat for these two losses.  It’s just incorrect in my opinion.

Where was Andrei Kostitsyn last night after that brilliant move of taking Sergei out of the lineup?

I would bet my house that Sergei plays tomorrow night.  Maybe I’m giving Martin too much credit though.

12. SeriousFan09 says:

I knew MAB wasn’t going to last on top pair when it went on, he is not even a 1/3 of what Markov is as a defencemen and did anyone really, really think no one on Washington would figure that out? BS, any coach would see we’ve got a 3rd-pair D on the top that’s got no real defensive ability. But Markov kept him mostly out of trouble the way he’s made every subpar defencemen on his side look good since he suited up.

OB may take the occasional penalty, but it is worth it if the Capitals stop dogpiling our goalie and running in our end like they’ve been invited in there, they have no worries about a Habs defencemen crunching them on boards with full strength. Credit to our D for checking some of their forwards but we need a real physical prescence to make them feel it. MAB’s upside is his slapshot, that’s all it ever was. OB can be a shutdown defencemen who can give Markov a physical edge when they’re combined, rather than give Markov a smallish defensive partner with weak D instincts.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

13. habsguy says:

ya and he got called for it!!!!!!

14. habsguy says:

is that what you saw the first 2 games ????

15. wmarcello says:

There is zero value in looking past game 4. Win that one first. It’s definitely possible when the Habs come to play.

16. TomNickle says:

Kevin Pollack shouldn’t do another playoff game for that performance.  I could have sworn that I saw an A on Scott Gomez’s jersey last night, so I’m wondering why Pollack was continuously trying to skate away from him before calling the misconduct.  Not to be outdone, Sutherland gives Pleks an extra two for unsportsmanlike.

I referee’d junior hockey during my early twenties.  Very few officials act the way that Pollack did last night Ian.  If last night was the first time Pollack has been cursed at during these playoffs, I’m the next Habs coach.  What specifically did Gomez say to earn the ten?  If the NHL would like conspiracy theories to go away they may want to tell officials to call the game as if it were game 7 of the finals and to not have the league’s fiscal interests in mind when making calls.

Pollack and Sutherland are professionals and have been for a while.  If you’re going to screw somebody, it’s a nice gesture to kiss them first.  And by that I mean that he could have at least calmed down and spoke to Gomez instead of ignoring him and making him more upset than he already was.

17. jimmy shaker says:

“Really hurt guys when they come into our zone”, by hurting guys, do you mean taking penalties that we don’t need to take, like O’Byrne is very prone to do.  MAB and Marky were having their praises sung from the top of cheap seats the last 2 games, but now that MAB has one subpar effort, which I don’t think he played that bad (yes the last goal was brutal, but does 4-1 or 5-1 really make a difference).  He has way more upside than O’byrne.  The only way I would get O’Byrne in there would be for Hammer, but JM will never do that, so let’s suck it up and worry about getting traffic in front of varlamov and letting Moen know that its okay for him to show up now!  Price will get the job done I feel, and if the traffic is there too in front of varlamov, we should be fine.  Biggest game of the year, and I expect the boys to pull it off!

18. SeriousFan09 says:

Not manhandled physically, but easily pressured in the zone and overwhelmed by playing elite forwards who simply outclass him and he can’t challenge physically, beat along the boards or react quickly enough to deal with. He doesn’t have the defensive ability to handle Top 6 forwards.

Washington walks around in our zone like they engraved invitations because there’s no physical challenge and it’s too easy to overwhelm our D.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

19. Bugs says:

Yeah, “any given night”, sure.

Problem is we need 4 of those games in SEVEN given nights and so far, we’re behind the 8-ball.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

20. SeriousFan09 says:

Gomez has no accuracy and AK has ability-wise, the best bomb on the team after MAB. Gomez is a teens goal scorer for a reason every year, Gomez wouldn’t be able to rip one off quickly enough and accurately enough to do anything, all he would be able to do is pass.

AK has a very fast release, so it’s at least worth trying once.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

21. wmarcello says:

One game at a time. Like I said, on any given night the Habs have a chance if they play well. Win game 4 and go from there.

22. TomNickle says:

I’m sorry but I’m just not seeing the guy get manhandled the way you are.
    He had a couple of mistakes last night but none of them were at a crucial point in the game.

If you want to talk about how Hamrlik has no business on an NHL team I will discuss that all day but Bergeron is helping more than he’s hurting in my eyes.

Our problem wasn’t getting out of our zone last night, it was turning the puck over in the neutral zone or just inside the Caps blueline.  Those are easy errors to fix.  I expect a very technically sound game from this group tomorrow night.

23. Say Ash says:

Well, it ammounts now to taking three out of four from the best team in the league

24. ed lopaz says:

Habs hockey = Smart hockey

agree with much of what you suggest EXCEPT -AK 46 on the point on the PP???

there are other guys that can shoot who have much better decision making ability – that can play the point.

i do not like AK 46 on the point of the PP.

Gomez has a rocket shot and good play making ability – maybe Gomez would be a good fit there.

25. Fenrir767 says:

I can’t agree with your more Ian I was at the game and the sheer inconsistency of the reffing was a bad joke. When it’s that bad you can’t help but wonder if there isn’t something else going on.

26. wd40 says:

Sigh.  Still nursing the sting from spending all that damn money (not to mention the 12$/can for Molson M)  to go see the Habs get crushed by the Caps last night.

The pre-game ceremony with the kid carrying the torch and touching off the spreading flames at centre ice was FANTASTIC, and the atmosphere was the best I’ve seen in a long while.  They came out flying and played one of their best periods this year…. tons of chances, but alas, could not capitalize on any of them.

Over a post-game beer, a friend of mine was musing: Was the game 2 OT loss the turning point of the series?   I dunno, my friends.  They pushed hard in the first, but the rest of game belonged to the Caps.   Our goaltending is suddenly questionable, Backstrom is a force, Knuble is constantly crashing the net, and Ovechkin is finding his game.  Since game 1, and perhaps the first period of yesterday’s game, I don’t see the Habs having a solution for that.

Yesterday, Boone said that he felt the team that would win game 3 would probably take the series.  Personally, I think down 2-1, game 4 is more telling/critical.  If the Habs can win that one, and win it in a convincing fashion, I think they still have a shot, but failing that…

27. wmarcello says:

The Habs are in no worse position than San Jose, New Jersey, Vancouver,
    Detroit, Buffalo, and Ottawa. The Habs have shown that on any given
    night they can compete. They’ve also shown that on any given night they can stink up the joint, but that’s beside the point. The point is this series is not over. Win game 4 and it becomes a best of 3.

28. Fenrir767 says:

The reason why people can even have these conspiracy theories is that when your at the games and you see crap happening behind plays that refs are staring at and not calling your begin to wonder. Heck the penalty on the caps that lead to pleks goal was called late by the ref that was farthest away as the fans started to get seriously pissed off.

The problem is that there is no consistency to NHL reffing, it’s all subjective meaning if Bettman or anyone just said help this team or that team a little we would never know, there’s reasons why there is talk about going to video replay for penalties etc. Because it doesn’t make sense anymore.

I’m gonna see if I can predict the rest of the NHL playoffs based on what would make the best TV if it was a scripted TV show just to see if I could get it right, I predicted Boston and L.A last night so we’ll have to see where I can do with this. Just doing it for fun but who know? Maybe there is a CONSPIRACY!

As this league becomes a little more equal in talent with the CAP
    structure, rule changes, making our game so much faster etc. There is one glaring area of our game that
    has definitely not kept pace with the new and improved NHL. And that is
    the quality and professionalism  of the officiating.

When the NHL
    went to the two man system and Ron Finn recruited double the personnel
    from the minors, this left a huge gap of quality refs below. All the
    way down to the junior levels. Referees were rushed in to fill the
    holes at all levels of our game.

Just like players that do not
    put their proper development time in the minors, referees are lacking
    as professionals at the higher speed levels as they are promoted.

order for our game to excel with more consistency’s, proper checks and
    balances for fairness of play, this area must be addressed more
    vigorously with the over seeing of better training and supervision of
    the refereeing trade from junior right on up to the NHL.

Right now some NHL games are a disgrace to our game in how they are officiated.

30. SeriousFan09 says:

Not that simple, WSH knows MAB on 1st pair is a farce and pressuring him will kill us. JM has to adjust to that first and bring OB in so there is someone to really hurt guys when they come in our end and let them know it’s not free parking on our goalies. Darche had 2:22 of TOI last night for a reason, get an NHL player out of the press box and back on the ice.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

31. EricInStL says:

Like Boston does with Chara….

In Guy Boucher I trust.

32. EricInStL says:

Don’t know if anyone said this but O’BYRNE in front of the net on the

Gionta or Gomez, Cammy, O’Byrne, MAB + Markov

In Guy Boucher I trust.

33. KenD29 says:

Sure the ref’s blew some calls. But saw the caps crash the Habs goalie all night long. Saw only once Plecanec’s attempt to do so. Once !

Sorry, not the Ref’s losing the games for the Habs!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

34. TomNickle says:

Relax people.  Tomorrow is a new day.

Spacek bumps into his goalie.

Ovechkin gets left alone in the slot.

Markov takes terrible positioning on a forward in front.

These were the reasons for three of the Caps goals.  I wouldn’t expect any of these things to become a trend.

The team has to play like they did in the first period with one notable difference.  The need to pick their shots a bit better instead of just firing away at the net from anywhere.

35. KenD29 says:

Glad you think JM has it under control Jimmy Shaker, cause from what I saw, I do not think he does!

No emotion whatsoever, playing players who should be on the bench or better yet, upstairs!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

36. Fenrir767 says:

I’m sorry but the refs missed a lot of fucking calls that game and let a lot of shit slide in favor of washington last night. Even the penalty that was eventually called that led to the habs first goal, was called late after the ref closest to the play didn’t call it against washington then even played with the puck a few times and the other ref called it when he saw how pissed the fans were getting. Last Night’s reffing was a bad fucking joke!

37. pic1983 says:

very well said on all points!

38. SeriousFan09 says:

Boudreau figured out MAB isn’t a real defencemen and ran us over with that. He knows his forwards don’t face any physical force when playing in our own end, so we get beat there because of no OB. It’s not that hard to coach the Caps, but JM didn’t see that the Capitals were starting to figure out that they don’t have to pay a physical price to play in Montreal’s end and that MAB is just unsuited for playing Top line D anymore than an AHL call-up would be. JM’s supposed to the be veteran who sees this stuff coming and make adjustments.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

39. 123456 says:

we all knwo the winner of game 4 ususally dictates the outcome of a series – GO HABS

secret mod

40. Say Ash says:

not to mention the flames and oilers both in the finals game-7

41. wmarcello says:

Up until last night MAB was helping more than he was hurting, so I’m not going to blast JM for that decision. If OB doesn’t play in game 4 though…

42. pic1983 says:

My wishlist for the off-season:

-Physical Defensemen.  Sorry Bergie, you aint gettin it done on defense, and you’re offense hasnt been great either in the playoffs.  No opposing team is scared to drive our net, or enter our zone.  Our defensemen may be big but they certainly arent physical.  I never thought I would miss frankie bouillon….

-Forwards that actually drive the net.  I dont get our forwards, they always have a clear path to the net and yet they skate behind the net and constantly try to make some blind pass out in front to a player thats not there.  Run over the other teams goalie for once! Every team we’ve played in the playoffs the last few seasons has done it to us, and gotten our goalie off their game.  We never return the favor…

-A new coach.  Martin is way too passive, and his inability to be creative is costing us.  Players dont seem to know where they should be, and that comes down to coaching.  If hes preaching it, and they just arent listening, than he still needs to go.

To me this series is going to go one of two ways…either washington wins the next two, or we win it in seven.  I hope Carey gets the start on wednesday, only because we need to change up the momentum.  Halak has been great for us this season, but now that the pressure is on he’s starting to falter.  He hasnt proven himself enough yet IMO to automatically go back to him next game.  Carey has more playoff experience, and he looked way more poised in the net yesterday.  Also, Carey has no pressure on him now because most already assume this series is over, and Carey is coming in as the back-up.

Id love nothing more than to knock off the caps, and I think we’ve proven that when are on our game we are capable of doing so.  Its not over yet.  Go habs Go!

43. habaholic68NJ says:

The Caps can be beaten on a given night by the Habs.  We have proved this during the year and in the playoffs.  But to win a series is a tall order.  To win 4/7 we need to:

1.  Get flawless goaltendng

2.  Roll 4 lines

3.  Use the best available players on the roster

4.  Call a timeout when needed

5.  Instruct our forwrads to forecheck and go to the net

6.  Instruct our D men to stop giving up the blue-line and to clear anyone within 3 feet of the crease.

JM has failed to deliver 2-6.

JM, please deliver the above in the next game if you want to win.   Play OB and SK, sit MAB. Tell Poulot to stop carrying the puck and to simply skate to the net and immediately shoot if he gets a pass or rebound. Halak has carried this team long enough but Price deserves a shot to steal one and as a bigger man can better sustain the net crashing CAPs.

44. topher5468 says:

And add in MAB over Obyrne, they exploited MAB for the inadequate player he really is

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

45. adam76 says:

Just win game 4, and will see how it goes.

46. adam76 says:

I was shocked they didn’t make a move for a new netminder.  Think how a veteran like Dwayne Roloson would look in front of that team.

47. wmarcello says:

The Caps are indeed a juggernaut, but JM’s coaching is not helping. The most obvious blunder last night was sitting SK in favor of Metro and Darche, who ended up playing 5 minutes and 2 minutes respectively.

48. jimmy shaker says:

Everyone, everyone……the team that wins the first game usually what, about 60 – 70% of the time wins the series….so we’re A-Okay!  Relax, JM and CO.  have it all under control…..I think.  Yes, definitely maybe!

Shaker (but that stat is on our side, I know that, oh but I forgot we were up 2-0 on Carolina and still lost a while back. HMMM)

49. topher5468 says:

Your probably right

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

50. adam76 says:

For everyone wanting to or thinking about posting on a conspiracy theory – please read and think about this first:

Many of you feel the league is giving favorable calls to the US based teams, in order to grow the game in the states.  If what you are saying is true – Bettmen and company would have legal prosecution against them and possibly go to jail.   Also – the scandal would DESTROY THE LEAGUE.  Those are the risks.  Now ask yourself – would such an extreme risk be worth an extra million people watching a Sunday afternoon game on NBC?  A few more articles in the Orange County Register???

Also – explain Ottawa in the finals in 2007?

Zero logic to any of these conspiracy theories.  Please – everyone, stop spreading them.

51. SeriousFan09 says:

Game 3 had Boudreau home in on our weak spots like the defence being unable to handle a high-pressure forecheck and there being no physical power on the back end and the weak checking lines that can’t handle the Capitals right now.

If we come back Game 4 same roster, it’ll only get worse because we’ll just get hammered again. Adjustments would be sitting MAB to play OB, placing AK46 on the point on a PP, bringing SK back in rather than Darche might get something going. Boudreau knows MAB is useless against a Capitals offence that quick, that aggressive. Will JM? But JM thinks playing forwards on the point is a crime against nature so he’ll keep him in anyway.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

That was sucking him in to play the same loseing way.

53. 123456 says:

outcoached? really? i could coach the caps to a while lot of wins! how hard is it to coach to caps?

i do believe SK74 needs to be back in the lineup. if i were coaching the habs i’d also give the start to price and insert obyrne on D and put MAB on the fourth line with limited time.

secret mod

54. topher5468 says:

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

55. joeybarrie says:

Sad thing is, our Smurfs are the ones who had to smash them around last night in front of our goalie. It was Gionta who had to show the rest of the D what we had to do to get them out of our net. Of the other end, your right again. We did not learn from them. We did not crash the net in the same fashion. I mean what happens? We get a penalty???? it was 4-0 WHO CARES???????

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

56. HabFanSince72 says:

How is Martin being out-coached?

The Caps are a freaking juggernaut.

With a decent keeper they may well go all the way.

57. wmarcello says:

JM needs to make sure his 2 top D pairings are balanced next game. Otherwise the weak link in the pairing (Hammer in game 2, MAB in game 3) will get bombarded, abused, and taken advantage of. The top pairings next game need to be:

Markov/Spacek (saw them a bit near the end of last game)

Gill/Gorges (limited Ovi to 1 shot all game)

Both these pairings need to play big minutes. Unfortuntately for the 3rd pairing that leaves:

However, with good bench management, they only get to see 3rd and 4th lines and limited minutes.

JM needs to live or die with his best.

58. 123456 says:

wow there is a lot of negativity – it’s great to voice concern but have some clue folks.

first i need to apologixe to whomever i told yesterday that MAB gives the habs a better chance to win than o’byrne…. i like the upside of MAB but last night saw the downside a few too many times.

i’m going toi give pleks, gionta and gomez a pass for their penalties because the string of events prior was very frustrating. the refs could have been better but the habs lost because of their dmen play and lack of scoring. but back to my point – why do the caps get a free pass when they are near the habs goalie? after every whistle is is the dmans job in playoff hockey to make a point of facewashing the opposing player – that’s playoff hockey and i’m dissappointed the habs do not do that.

some negativity in the form of a question.. why did darche dress? and why metro?

positive, we all know the caps are a great team… but if the habs win the next game it’s all ties at 2.. i’ll take that!!

59. rogieshan says:

Same tired, old refrain: We don’t have the big-bodied players to create traffic in front of opposing goalies. Can’t win series without the ‘dirty goals.’

True positive: Hal Gill. Who would’ve thought he’s our most valuable defenseman back in November.

60. topher5468 says:

You have my vote, I was floored when Boudreau called him the smartest coach, what a load of crap, That was not being gracious, that was patronization

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

61. habsguy says:

I’m not a huge JM fan either but to say he’s been completely out coached is stretching it a bit I think, we should be up 2 games to 1…..not too bad against the best team in the league !!!!!…..I would love to see a little more fire out of him,  maybe stick up for his players  a little more,  but I didn’t think his game plan was that bad.

62. smiler2729 says:

Yeah I’d like to see P.K. but not until next season.

It is unrealistic to think Subban would make any kind of major impact other than enthusiasm which the team already has plenty of (witness last night’s 1st period).

These major expectations by some of you are EXACTLY why Subban should not play in this series, we’ve turned him into the next Bobby Orr just as Carey Price was expected to instantly be the next Patrick Roy. And when those lofty unrealistic expectations are instead met with rookie mistakes, things get ugly.

It’s bad enough seeing the fans’ treatment of Price this season so let’s not ruin every decent Habs prospect’s confidence.

(Re-posted from below)

I was shocked at first and then I realized that Bob Gainey had said he was only taking the GM’s job for 5 or 6 years. Bob has hired him as the new GM for next year. Gauthier and Martin will run the upstairs.

I was really hoping for Jacque Lemaire as long as he did not bring along his lap dog Trembly!

It is a bran new world out there , with these new rules and speed game.

64. SeriousFan09 says:

If JM makes no changes for Game 4, his true effectiveness as a coach will be revealed for it is.

I hope he does do something, but I’m not expecting it. Getting completely outcoached by Bruce Boudreau to lose a playoff series, that’s good grounds for not being head coach anymore isn’t it?

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

65. topher5468 says:

Me personally, I will nerver jump off any stupid Bandwagon but I will also never not give my opinion on crap when I see it and I watched crap last night. We can win, not by losing our composure and cryin to the refs, get meaner make the Caps respect our crease, if not take a real penalty, no cryin to the refs and getting embarrassing misconducts

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

66. PeterStone says:

Perhaps someone should ask the coach this, how many good minutes did the team play ?  I am certain it isnt 60 … and it isnt 48 …

67. kyrest says:

The habs need PK and they need him now, he’s so dynamic and exciting to watch i mean if there gonna lose anyways……. + hamrlik rlly isint playing well

68. topher5468 says:

Varlamov was not weak last night. He kept his team in the game in the first period. This team was embarrassing last night whining to the refs, They lost their composure and looked loke a joke. Start taking peoples heads off in the crease and take real penalties, not cry baby misconducts. Washington is doing thier jobs, its on us to stop them or do it back to them. Its too bad Pouliot wont go to the net or that Pyatt and Darche dont measure up to Fehr, Laich or Fleishman. Other than Ape man , all their scoring was considered secondary,  thats where we dont measure up, Burner should play over MAB, who almoat never shoots on the PP and is a huge liability defensively, plus Burner is the only big body player willing to play big. Adjustments, is the key, Lets see if JM is a good coach or just a French speaking blow hard

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

69. HabsoluteFan says:

So trailing 2-1 with a chance tomorrow night to go back to DC tied at 2.  If feel we played much better in DC and that we were gripping the stick a bit tight last night.  11 habs players playing for the first time in front of the Bell Centre crowd in a playoff game.  I hope they can refocus and get the job done in Game 4.

I tought we deserved much better after playing a good 1st period.  That SH goal really dragged us down.

Halak was not to fault in this game but I now rest my hopes on the shoulders of Carey.  I, for one, still believe this kid is capable of something special.  I felt he looked real strong last night and think he, with the help of his team, can turn this series around.  He was succesfull against the Caps all year and I think he`ll be ready to steal a game tomorrow night. (if called upon…)

This is far from over, we had a bad one last night but the beauty of the playoffs is that we get the chance to go right back at them tomorrow night,

On december 18th, in the middle of a 5 game losing streak, this guy said the habs would turn it around and make the playoffs.

70. smiler2729 says:

Hey Ian, were you ever a fan of the move (hiring Jacques Martin)? I didn’t care either way when he was hired, I was just finally glad the Habs hired an experienced NHL coach instead of another rookie.

I guess I was secretly hoping it would be a 1993 Jacques Demers remake where a successful coach elsewhere came here to prove all his critics wrong… but we’ll see. I remember back then we were down 2-0 to the Nordiques in the 1st round.

71. habsfan_61 says:

wonder how many busted knee,hip and ankle joints their are today from bandwagon yo-yo. my butt has been firmly in place for 40+ yrs good and bad. so , chill out folks. we knew this was an average team with smurfs up front and a slow wimpy d. jaro has been crashed too often with the d doing nada and the forwrds not responding with the same crease crashing at the other end. as far as pk is concerned, leave him in steeltown. hes not going to make a diff here and now .let him win and dominate in ham this season and next year we can have him up for the full yr.i agree with the many posters who have written that we need to be meaner. go habs go only down 2-1 need to big a splash wed.

72. Habsrule1 says:

Pisses me off how many jump on and off the bandwagon at will.

Nobody said this would be easy, but we have shown we can play with the best. We had a bad 12 minute stretch last night, but we dominated for stretches as well, unfortunately with nothing to show for it.

You’re either on the bandwagon or your not, I still think we can do this, but if we can’t, we need to address the size issue by getting a couple big, strong forwards to compliment the talent we have. A team needs a good mix of size & skill on their top 2 lines and that’s where we have to focus for the coming year(s).

The changes were the right thing to do, but they’re not finished yet.

Go Habs Go!! “I don’t have a copy of Georges’ code, I don’t know what it is,”. “I think the code is that you’re here for your teammates. It’s not your code, it’s our code.” – Bob Gainey

First of all the only way Gomez, Gionta and Plekanic could get a
    rest was in the penalty box, so I don’t blame their frustration. A
    coach that only uses half his bench is not much of a coach.

used the same guys over and over, regular shift, power plays, and
    penalty killing. At the speed of the games in the play offs with the
    faster NHL new rules, they burn out by the second period.

are being out coached big time. Martin was great putting this team
    together and keeping them somewhat on track as we went through the
    regular season. But play off hockey in the new rules NHL is way over
    his head.

74. joe the pro says:

hi all you habs fans, washington didn’t finish first place for nothing, they are a great and skilled team, we are lucky they have weak goalies, they would go very far with a top goalie. we still have a chance if their goalie’s have mediocre games and ours play superhuman. the habs got into this position by themselves, if they would have won one or two games down the regular season stretch they would be facing another team. no one will beat pittsburg or wasgington this year. at least we get to see ovechkin, semin and backstrom. go habs go

p.s. shame on cbc tv for not carrying the habs and not even mentioning them on their reviews, i think they still hold a grudge for us beating the leafs in the 50’s 60’s and 70’s, because its obvious they (cbc) love the leafs.

75. Richard B says:

That game was hard to watch, I spent more time pissed at the ref than I did any of the players. Obvious non-calls against washington followed up by penalties to the habs for infractions less in sevarity than what they let Wash away with. Mtl had two great chances in the first (one by laps) and they could not even get the shot off cuz they were draged down…no call. If those were PP’s this game would have been diffrent. Washington has a talented team…it will be difficult for the habs to beat the caps and the refs.

Very fustrated,