Holy Moly! What a start to Canadiens camp

boardweb

Jack Todd captured the general feeling of Day 1 of Canadiens training camp Sunday in his Monday Morning QB column.

“&&&&& all together now: Holy Moly!” Todd wrote.

“No, I don’t know what a ‘moly’ is either,” Todd added. “But when we’re about 3.5 minutes into the daylight portion of After the Lockout and Marc Bergevin has already told Scott Gomez to go fish for salmon in Alaska, what’s a guy going to say except — Holy Moly!”

You can read Todd’s column on why there’s cause for joy in Mudville by clicking here.

Below are links to other stories from Day 1 of camp from the HIO team of hockey writers:

Bergevin says Gomez ‘understands situation’, by Dave Stubbs

Gomez vanishes without a trace, by Dave Stubbs

‘It was a shock,’ Pacioretty says of Gomez, by Pat Hickey

‘Condensed’ sked a misnomer, by Pat Hickey

Gorges says it’s time to bring back winning tradition, by Brenda Branswell

Fans to get free look at Habs Thursday at Bell Centre, by Dave Stubbs

Closing the book on Scott Gomez, by Stu Cowan

(Photo by Dario Ayala/The Gazette)

1. AliHaba says:

Did anyone else have a hard time logging on to this site today? I’m hoping to hear about a PK signing today. We need him at camp.

Alex Galchenyuk 40 games 69 points +18 includes WJHC
    Mike Cichy 21 11 E
    Dustin Walsh 13 10 E
    Maxim Trunev 36 8 -2
    John Westin 34 5 -8
    Josiah Didier 17 4 E
    Colin Sullivan 19 1 E

Gerald! they are all in strategy meetings!

Are the boys not practising yet? Haven’t seen any posts yet related to who isn’t on ice today and we should be due for some anti MT chatter by now.

4. Hobie Hansen says:

I received the Pat Burns book as a Christmas gift and it’s nothing less than a spectacular read. Reading the book has helped me be one of the more confident people when it comes to Michel Therrien’s second coaching stint with the Canadiens.

Like Burns, Therrien was a rookie NHL coach in his first time around with the Habs. And like Burns, Therrien also made some mistakes in his first stint in Montreal. Most notably the bench minor he took in the playoff game against Carolina way back when. I was at that game btw :-).

One big mistake Burns made back in the day was to take three redeye flights immediately after games in the Stanly Cup final when Calgary went right to bed in a hotel immediately after each game. The Canadiens ran out of gas and Burns said that was a bad rookie mistake.

Burns also didn’t do a very good job of communicating with guys like Lemieux and Richer when both players tried to open up to Pat about difficulties they were having on the ice in Lemieux’s case and off the ice in Richer’s case.

Burns recalled those mistakes and he stated he learned from them along the way. I think Therrien will be the same. Therrien actually reminds me of Burns.

One thing that was great about Burns was his handling of the French media. He’d get slaughtered in the French papers for favoring guys like Keane and Gilchrist over some of the younger French players and was accused of being prejudice against the French.

The response Burns would give is that he’s (Burns) from Montreal and he speaks French so piss off!

And one other crazy thing from the book; Toronto had Wendal Clark wrapped up and ready to ship to Montreal for Shayne Corson but the Canadiens backed out at the last possible second.

• 24 Cups says:

Clark was injury prone but I would have taken him over Corson any day of the week. He also came with less baggage.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Ya the burs book talk about when Skrudland, Keane and Corson were thrown in the drunk tank in Winnipeg and Burns purposely left them there for the night to teach them a lesson.

• Loonie says:

Pat Burns was a great coach no doubt. But the thing that made him great was the thing that leads to coach’s messages wearing off after a short period.

If you’re a fire and brimstone guy like Burns was it’s hard to elevate a team’s play at a time when it’s needed because you use the tactic so frequently.

Guys who are on more of an even keel tend to have more longevity in their coaching jobs.

Still a great coach and a hall of famer.

Interesting comparison, hadn’t looked at it that way before. I will need to give that some thought.

Good post Hobie.

• Mustang says:

I always liked Pat Burns. He certainly had great passion for the game but he did lack control of his emotions. I have not made up my mind about Therrien but I am looking forward to him being behind the Habs bench.

Okay, using the assumption that Galchenyuk makes our squad this year and not Gallagher, our only true remaining “smurfs” would be DD and Gionta.

Does this mean the official end of the Habs being referred to around here and the league as Smurfs?

• secretdragonfly says:

No, it means the smurf critics will then raise the bar (or lower it, in this case). Going forward, the new criteria to be considered a smurf will be anyone under 6’4″, 243 lbs. Mark my words :)

• nunacanadien says:

Trust me there are many unwanted larger players out there who have no skill or heart that Molson and Bergevin would only be too happy to snatch up being the lazy corporate types they have become. Since when has any hab GM or coach ever actually sweated to land a real NHL player in Montreal? Only way we’ll ever get a real superstar here is if it’s by mistake.

• Mike D says:

We can only hope Gerry. Height was only part of the ‘smurf’ moniker though. We have some taller players that don;t carry a lot of mass and play a softer game…and a few other short players too. Think Diaz, Weber, Kaberle, Plecky, etc. Heck even Frankie The Bull is short, but he’s built like a brick sh*t house and plays a tough game.

I no longer consider us a small team but I think the perception will remain for a while longer, especially if we don’t change a lot of our Dmen.

- Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• habsnyc says:

Are we talking about the team that traded Gill and signed Bouillon? When the team wins we call them the Habs. When they lose, they have 1,000 names.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• nunacanadien says:

For now we’ll call it Coors USA lite, all the way down to the saltpeter in Molson’s beer to make us all lame fans and think we’ve got a real superstar now in Gionta. Ok, Gionta a superstar saviour who can’t get with twenty feet of the other net, who hasn’t had a shot on net since when? Since he was out of place and a pass made to him by Halak? Yes Halak, the greatest goalie of all time recently and who could actually help make plays instead of the Price giveaways.

• Loonie says:

I think we should trade Galchenyuk.

How in the hell did that guy get a $9 million deal? He must think he’s the best thing since sliced bread. He hasn’t proved anything.

6. Hockey Bob says:

Subban thinks he is Gods gift after two years in the NHL? Trade him or let the media whore go back to TV.

7. Mothstoflame says:

Eklund – teams are definitely calling on Subban. makes you wonder if the only way the Habs get to the # Subban wants is in matching an offer sheet.

Eklund -no question the Del Zotto deal has complicated life for Subban…He is asking for twice the money and isnt twice the player…

lol…

• Cal says:

Quoting Eklund? LMAO!

• Mattyleg says:

Yeah, it’s pretty rich considering his handle.

• Mothstoflame says:

why i added my lol ;)

• Mattyleg says:

Nice.

• nunacanadien says:

The fact that Subban was not invited nor has shown up on the ice with the rest of the team speaks volumes. Bergevin and Therrien are showing their true hand. Therrien doesn’t like Subban period. Too bad Subban, too bad habs.

Now let’s watch as we lose Subban for next to nothing and end up paying an outrageous Gomez type trade to get rid of Subban. Just sign the kid already Geoff Molson. These bastards Bergevin and Therrien get paid big dollars to work, make them sweat under Subban.

• Strummer says:

Subban wasn’t invited because he’s not signed.
            Unless you’re in the room who knows what is holding up negotiations.

It takes two to tango.

____________________________________________________
            “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Newf_Habster says:

Jeez, Eklund is a fraudster like @hockeyyinsiderr!

• habsnyc says:

I just don’t see offer sheets coming this offseason because owners are not in the mood to hurt eachother post the lockout. The preseason is so compact, I think teams will try to make the most of what they have and perhaps make changes once the season starts.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

8. Strummer says:

Someone below mentioned that Bob McKenzie tweeted that teams are looking for D-Men.

That would indicate there is a market for Kaberle and his cap hit, if Markov proves to be healthy.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Mattyleg says:

Hmm, in all seriousness, I think that we could do worse than keep Kaberle. He’s a vet, and three vets will balance the three/four youngsters (Diaz, Weber, PK, St.Denis)
      Until someone particularly interesting frees up on the market, I vote we stand our ground before making trades.

• Strummer says:

I wouldn’t trade him immediately either.

This was for those who bashed Kaberle mostly for his contract. I always felt the contract could be moved if necessary in future.

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• I’m with you Matty — even during an off-year last year he was a valuable 0.5 PPG defenceman. He may not be great in his own end, and his pay’s a but high, but so long as M-A Bergeron has a job in the league, Kaberle will have one too. If we do deal him, let’s at least wait til the deadline, when the prices go up.

Speaking of which, when’s the trade deadline in this abbreviated season?

• Blondie says:

Yes, he is a vet. But we don’t have any sick animals. :)

I would be happy with almost anybody else. Hell sign Commodore, he may have lost a step or two but no way he has as many defensive brain farts.

Mattyleg would like his hook, line and sinker back.

So Gary Bettman and the owners did not get a resounding defeat of the PA in this last go around, but they did get some immediate cost certainty and a bigger slice of the pie. However, with no change to 2nd contract limits (or lack thereof), no change in UFA criteria etc. etc. and with the Salary Cap still tied to revenues, salaries will eventually escalate just as the cap ceiling with increase.

So was this a good deal for the owners? We won’t know for awhile, but I think what his deal did do, was give just enough of a break to the smaller markets that Gary no longer has to spend most of his waking minutes worrying about how to save them.

I suspect the big boy owners will get their way in the future and the protection of weak franchises is close to over.

I will not be surprised in the least to see troubled franchises moved easier to better markets, and I could see contraction raise its head if indeed a team like Phoenix continues to bleed and there isn’t a guaranteed market left available to absorb the team.

The league has its 10 year contract with NBC, and I don’t think that deal is jeopardized with a few markets removed, especially considering I think a market added will end up being Portland or Seattle (The northwest to be less specific).

• Mattyleg says:

I hope you’re right about the smaller markets, Gerald, but I wonder what the last straw would be to close them down.

Phoenix seems to have fulfilled all the requirements to have their franchise taken away, and NYI are not too far behind, along with Florida and Carolina… but Betty’s still hanging on for dear life.

What is it going to take, do you think?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

I don’t think the wealthy owners will tolerate another work stoppage. 8 years from now when either side opts out of current deal, the NHL is not going to base its decision to lockout in order to protect the weakest franchises.

I think those bottom feeding franchises are now in a sink or swim mode.

11. habsfan0 says:

I missed the latter part of last night Golden Globes Awards show. Who won in the category: “Best Performance by a fired hockey GM feigning ignorance as to why he was let go despite his team never making the playoffs”?

I suspect Brian Burke was a runaway winner.

12. ed lopaz says:

I see some comparing Subban to Del Zotto and arguing that Del Zotto’s 2 years 5 million (2.5 mil per) is a good comparison to sign Subban.

Well, allow me to disagree.

1) Subban played 1st line minutes, every situation, against other teams’ top forwards while MArkov has been hurt.

Del Zotto has never been given this responsibility

2) Subban plays a complete game – offence, defence, physical, in your face hockey

Del Zotto is an offensive d-man period. end of story.

3) Subban is the foundation around which franchises are built, a huge fan favorite, a marketing machine, an “ENTERTAINER”, in a business where FANS PAY TO BE ENTERTAINED.

Del Zotto is 1 d-man out of 6 – none of the above.

The reason the Habs didn’t sign Price or Paciorretty to big 2nd contracts is because neither of them deserved the big money at that time – they were both still establishing themselves as top line players. Price had literally lost his job to Halak the year before, and Max was sent down to Hamilton for re-tooling.

Subban has already established his 1st line status on this team.

Therefore, Subban should be signed long term on this deal for 5 to 5.5 million per season.

6 years 32.5 million would be my number.

He is a franchise player and besides Price the toughest on this team to replace.

Good points Ed. Can you please forward to MB, we can get this done and over with, everyone sleeps fine tonight.

One small question, what if PK is looking for more than this?

• nunacanadien says:

Price will never be a number 1, nor Pacioretty. They neither have the size nor the willingness to put up and keep up with the level of skill required throughout the whole game all three periods. Price has been a distraction and a good one which Dallas, Toronto of Coors USA which owns the Habs have been good at.

Time to start rebuilding the team around real NHL players. Enough of these skinny, enough of these psyched out loudmouths, sign real NHL players for once!

• New says:

I am a big PK fan. I think he has loads of potential. He is replaceable. They are all replaceable. Why? Because of the media and fans.

Yesterday Max spoke about Gomez. Now there is no doubt Gomez should go except in one place, the room. Why? Because Gomez tried to bond the team together. The players indicate he did. Just like Kostitsyn who they liked. The results on the ice were 3rd from the bottom. There was no doubt in my mind the Canadiens were trying to win last season. They didn’t make choices that would ensure a high draft position, they couldn’t do it. But Gomez is seen as a critical team mate by the players and Kost + friend helped sink their own team in the playoffs last year.

Next Saturday the boo-birds will be back to the Bell. The AC will critique a player or two, run it up the flagpole, and by game 10 have someone in their sights. You could change every player on the team and the results will be the same. The battle isn’t against the Bruins it is against us, the fans and media. We make it a terrible place to play.

That is why it is 20 years and counting and why it doesn’t matter what Subban signs for or where he is moved to. You can’t change people who believe it is fair to bully a player just because everyone laughs.

I hope they do trade PK, for his own sake.

• Cal says:

Good points, but it is still Subban’s 2nd deal with the club. What’s his or his agent’s problem with $5 mill a season for 2 years, getting the club to the point where are the 2009 UFA deals the team made are off the books? PK is a good player who was put in over his head because of injuries and poor management. He and Gorges had the lion’s share of minutes on a 28th place team. That was a big mistake.

• ed lopaz says:

Subban put up 36 points and was + 9 on one of the worst teams in the league.

Ask people how valuable 40 point d-men are.

In this league, those are $5 million per season numbers, and Subban will hit 50 plus points regularly during his next contract.

There was no mistake in playing him big minutes.

• Cal says:

The contract negotiations right now are why the Habs should not have played him that much. He and Meehan have an inflated value of what PK is worth right now. Predicting he will regularly hit 50 points is a stretch, too, when he hasn’t done it.

• twilighthours says:

This sounds like Tankers’ talk. Don’t play your best player because you might have to pay him more? The Tanks are rolling!

• Cal says:

@ twi- I am arguing that how the Habs gave too much ice time to a 22 year-old Dman. especially considering how the team wasn’t getting the desired results, ie: winning.

A 2nd rounder working on his 2nd contract should not get term, imo. Price was a top 5 pick and received a 2 year “bridge” contract. PK should go the same route.

• Habfan10912 says:

Ed, I wish I had your ability to articulate my thoughts on PK. You said exactly what I would have said if I did. Great points all! CHeers bud.

———————————–

13. Mattyleg says:

Don’t get me wrong, I love the Habs and all, but I think that we should trade PK because he’s not good enough, in my mind. There are a number of ways he could improve his game, and a number of aspects where he is not very good, so we should trade him for a player who has everything that PK has, plus is also strong in the areas where he is weak.

Also, Plekanec should be traded while his ‘value’ is ‘high’. We should trade him for a much better player who will not only score more goals than Pleks, but register more points in the ‘assists’ column. We need someone who can play like Plekanec but be another player.

Finally, DD never was, is not, and never will be a Number One Centre. He is capable of playing well between two good players, and putting up over sixty points while helping his linemates do the same, but try putting him between a player with only one leg, and a garbage can on wheels, and see if he gets the same points. I’m not saying we should trade him for a bigger and stronger player who gets more points (yet!) but I think we should put another player between Cole and Paccioretty to justify me being a fan of him. If he gets lots of points, I get to brag. If he doesn’t, I’ll just shrug and say ‘it was worth a try.’ It’s win-win.

Those are my recommendations.

Any thoughts?

• Cal says:

Your now useless Gomez jersey is affecting you, MAtty. You must hold a seance to get rid of its taint!

• Mattyleg says:

NEVER!
        Oh, I forgot;
        The most important thing for the Habs to do right now is to save money.
        We need to sign cheaper players who will play as well as the ones we have, while also improving the team as a whole.
        With all the money we will have saved, we can sign the best players in the league.

• Habfan10912 says:

He’s had to keep that jersey an extra year. Not fair. I think as a sign of appreciation for his sacrifise the 2013-2014 summiteers should present him with another jersey, say of Campoli?

———————————–

• Ian Cobb says:

Matty, you are feeling a little tough on the boys this morning, probably a little brown paper in your drinking bowl as well my friend!

You forgot your sarcasm face in the post, most may miss it. ;-)

• Mattyleg says:

….which is pretty sad, really!

The fact that people can actually say these sorts of things and expect to be taken seriously is troubling to me.

It just goes to show how the quality of posts and real hockey insight on this site has deteriorated over the course of the lockout.

Another crime to pin to Bettman’s forehead!

• New says:

I think your post was fun. HIO could use more of that. People are too serious here.

Instead of us gladly anticipating the coming half season we sit around and use negatives to describe everything the players or management does. We build little castles in the air and are bound to be disappointed in the team, management, and individuals.

Subban will make a dumb play this year, some bigger player will toss DD aside as if he were a Youppi pup, and Pleks will not successfully kill off 300 penalties in a row. Worse, someone will score on Price, and the old arguments will start as if two players on two teams were the same guy facing the same shots.

Everybody should just chill and cheer. Why pay money or go out of the way to be miserable?

14. HabFanSince72 says:

So you don’t have to read it, here are the dumbest things about the Todd article.

1. “Gomez is one reason we like to see the limit on NHL contracts.”

Except that Gomez’s contract was 7 years, under the new limit. Also it covered the ages of 27-34 – a player’s peak years. The real problem was that he never played as well as he had in the past.

2. “He was fired 10 days before the lockout-shortened season is about to start because 1) the suits have no class and 2) they have no concept what that’s going to do to the product on the ice.”

First, who still uses the word “suits”? And anyway Burke was a “suit” both literally and figuratively. Second, you just told us Burke had to go because of poor results. But firing him will worsen the “product on the ice”? And finally why does the timing mean they have “no class”?

3. “Worst thing about the 49ers winning the way they did? Now we all have to learn how to spell “Kaepernick.” …”

Without comment.

4. “Aaron Rodgers: Is he the most overrated QB in the NFL?”

Hmm… No. On a team with a weak defence and a terrible offensive line (I think he is one of the most sacked QBs in the league), he is probably the only reason they made the playoffs.

5. “it was worth seeing Lionel Messi win yet another Golden Ball Award — if only to see the sour look on Cristiano Ronaldo’s puss.”

What a bitter bitter man you are Jack.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Mattyleg says:

Sore stomach?
      That’ll learn you for drinking toilet water.

• Loonie says:

On the football thing. The Packers defense is very good. Dom Capers(their d-coordinator) had the worst possible gameplan for a read option quarterback and never made the correct adjustments.

And yes, Rodgers was the most sacked qb in the league this year. Has the highest career post-season qb rating ahead of guys like Brady and Montana(well ahead of them actually).

And yes, two of their last three first round picks have been offensive tackles and they lost both for the season early in the year.

He is also the highest rated qb in regular season history. Has the highest single season qb rating and is the only player in nfl history to throw for 4000 yards in his first three seasons.

Todd should stick to……….whatever it is he’s good at, don’t know what that is.

• Price07 says:

I Don’t read anything Todd writes anymore. Ever.

• Price07 says:

I love that I’m not the only one who stopped reading anything written by Jack Todd! lol

• Wintercount says:

Dead on about the skins, though.

• Ian Cobb says:

sorry! Duplicate.

15. rogus says:

While I am a big fan of PK, I can’t believe all the nonsense about giving him 4-5 mil per as an RFA. With Markov back, and a new more agressive, puck pursuit system, this team is going to rely less on PK this year than in the past. Del Zotto, who in my mind is at least on par with PK, just signed a reasonable RFA contract that should be almost exactly what PK gets. To hold out after this lock out would be a disaster for his career, and all the charisma in the world wouldn’t change my mind if that were the case. I really hope both sides can come to terms, but I think PK’s expectations (as well as poster on here) may be a little high.

16. Phil C says:

About Subban, don’t get me wrong, I think he is great, but if you look at what he has done in the NHL, he had a pretty good first playoffs as a call-up replacing Markov. He had a pretty good rookie season, getting lot’s of PP time, but he was playing behind Hamrlik and Wisniewski, and paired mostly with Gill, so his minutes were somewhat managed. Last year, he was forced into a top-two role and he struggled for the first half of the season. After December, he settled down and played good hockey. On most other teams last year, he would not have played top two minutes.

So we have a player who has shown potential to be a top four player, and a 1/2 season as a top two defenseman. If he continues to improve which is likely, he will be an elite defenseman in the league. But what if he regresses? With only a 1/2 season of elite play under his belt on a 28th placed team, I would like to see a larger body of work before committing to 8 years. I would at least like to see him play in the playoffs in a top two role if possible, that’s when you really see what a player is all about.

I really hope MB can get a two-year bridge contract done. It will give them more time to evaluate Subban, and it will get them through next season which will be a tough one on the cap.

• Loonie says:

Last time he was in the playoff he tied the score in game 7 with less than five minutes to play.

No offense here, but do you really think that the other 29 teams in the league see him as just a top 4 defenseman?

This argument to me is like when Price was being bashed(not that Subban is being bashed). But I have the notion that if Subban were available for trade Bergevin would have 29 teams ringing his phone off of the hook.

• Phil C says:

One goal does not make him a proven play-off performer.

My point was he has only performed as a top two defensemen for a 1/2 a season so far, that’s it. I personally would not lock him up long term based on that given what the cost would be.

Not sure why you think I’m bashing PK. I think you are reading things that are not there.

Lets get a little realistic when talking about contracts and trades folks.
    Remember now, its a new cap ceiling of $63 million, for all teams, not just the Habs, starting in the 2013–2014 campane.

If you have 24 players under contract, the average salary is $2.5each, if spread evenly.
    So for every 1million over the $2.5 given to players, $1million must come off of other players contracts on the low side of the pay scale.

The more evenly structured the pay scale the more even your 4 lines and your D team will perform on the ice.

By putting the majority of your cap space into 3 or 4 players contracts, the more you diminish the talent in your over all roster.

And might I add, if one or two of your top salary cap players goes down to injury, the whole team slips big time in the standings.

The more you can evenly spread your salary cap out, the more balance you have in your overall team play.

Do you think the big O in Washington, with his $100million contract will ever have his name on the cup? never happen.
    The surrounding cast is just to weak after you get past the top 4 players on the roster.

This is still a team sport boys and girls, the prize is only won when teams play for each other, not for just themselves.

• Loonie says:

That’s only true in part Ian.

After next season’s cap decrease to $64 million it will continue to rise again until the next CBA negotiation. As long as league revenues increase, and they will, the cap will go up.

I believe it was Sean Gordon who recently wrote an article predicting the Cap at $90 million within the next five years.

Edit: The league basically bought itself time to straighten out the weak markets. The cap will be back to present day level in two years and will continue to rise after that.

• Cal says:

Let’s believe that kind of $90 mill cap and that kind of HRR when it happens. I see the league’s revenues slumping for the next couple seasons, mainly because of the drag of the sun belt teams. The NHL did itself no favours with their sponsors, too. This will be a tough climb back up for the league.

• Loonie says:

Gordon’s estimate(if it was him) is a little high I agree. But revenues won’t go down because they’re tied to gate sales and television primarily.

And revenues going down this season have no bearing on it. Next season is the only one that matters.

• Cal says:

That’s just it. The gate sales for all or most of these teams are greatly discounted, just so those failures can make the 13.5K number needed to qualify for revenue sharing.
            I never have liked the concept of revenue sharing without a crazy large national tv deal. $200 mill per season from NBC is nowhere near enough, considering there are 30 clubs.

• Ian Cobb says:

I see the league shrinking by 10 teams, 3 of them moving to Canada. Sure hope so.!

• Ian Cobb says:

Ya you are right, my figures are a little off, was using round numbers for my small P brain

18. Marcusman says:

I know he’s at he end of his career but would you take Jarome Igginla straight up for PK?

I’m not saying we should trade PK, personally I think he’s worth the 5 million a yr…(quebec tax bump of extra million)

19. Say Ash says:

Just wondering how everybody celebrated Scott Gomez Day yesterday. I chose to watch Mystery Alaska, accompanied by a six-pack of Molson, after which I was told by my wife that I wouldn’t be scoring. Anybody else?

• Habfan10912 says:

Funny! After initially feeling joy I quickly switched to worrying about PK and his negotiations.
      In all seriousness is this a pivitol tone setting moment in the MB era? Here we have a player, who every team dreams they had, someone with his skill set, a young defenceman with experience, playoff experience, produces offence, hits hard, provides energy and still has an upside. He can ‘t screw this up.

Signed, worry wart
      @tom – my other super bowl pick? Texans. People wait with baited breath for my picks. :)
      ———————————–

• arcosenate says:

Hopefully it won’t be a calendar year before you score again.

• Mattyleg says:

I heard about Gomez, then jumped in my car and drove for 3 hours on very little sleep, almost dozed off coming across the Champlain Bridge, picked up my daughter at my folks’ place, ate dinner with them (pork roast), unpacked the car, had a fight with the g/f, and played video games until 10pm, at which point I went to bed.

My daughter woke up at 3:30. I’ve been awake since then.

Happy Scott Gomez Day!

• Timo says:

I was drowning my sorrows in whisky.

20. Habfan10912 says:

Am I wrong in starting to think if PK and Habs continue to not come to any agreement that I will join HH and the tank 2013 club? I’m on the ledge again.

A stupid cap question. What would a deal like yr1-3.5mil, year2- 4mil, yr 3- 4.5 mil, yr4 -4.75 mil, yr5- 5mil, yr 6 – 5.5 mil have in terms of a cap hit. Add the millions and divide by 6?

———————————–

It is my understanding that the total contract is still divided by years to determine cap hit. As for you being near the ledge again, I thought somebody offered you milk and cookies yesterday to come back in?

21. rhino514 says:

Considering the case of LTR; how are players actually assessed as healthy to play or not? I mean, if an MRI doesn´t show anything amiss but the player says he is in pain, then he cannot play. There are many injuries where the injury itself can´t be “seen”. So a player could technically say he is injured to keep getting paid, or worse, avoif getting bought out. See where i´m going with this?

Also I hate to make everyone just a bit nervous, but it is now reported that Gomez has very recently had a nagging injury. What if this injury persists indefinitely? It wouldn´t be completely out of the question as last year he became incredibly fragile, all of a sudden.
    Boy, wouldn´t that just ruin the cap situation of the team for next season!

22. Loonie says:

The Winnipeg Jets scouting department needs a slap in the face.

2011

- First round they select Mark Scheifele instead of Sean Couturier
    - Third round they select Adam Lowry instead of one of Nick Cousins or Keegan Lowe

2012

- First round they select Jacob Trouba instead of Mikhail Grigorenko
    - Second round they select Lukas Sutter(12 points in 42 games)instead of one of Ludvig Bystrom or Jake McCabe
    - Fifth round they select Hellebucyk instead of Seth Griffith(who has 72 points in 45 games this season).

I said when Chevyldayoff got to work that it seemed that the Jets were more concerned with getting players and staff who are homegrown or close to it. I was wrong, they’re just picking the wrong players.

Edit: I’m pulling for the Jets to do well but these are HUGE risks and considering the high volume it’s more likely than not that a lot of them blow up in their face.

The Scheifele pick is interesting, as essentially they allowed Dale Hawerchuck to make this pick. He told them that Mark was the real deal and worthy of the pick. Given Dale was coaching Mark he would know him well, but at the same time, how much had Dale scouted Couturier, I would think virtually not at all. Not sure how going to a past player supercedes current scouts.

Another interesting move recently, was they didn’t resign Eric Fehr a local veteran. They knew he was injured or would start season injured when they acquired him. He appears to finally be healthy and they don’t resign him, seems odd.

I too am really pulling for this team, but also question their decision making.

• Loonie says:

Yeah and I want to clarify that I like Scheifele. But certainly not anywhere near as much as Couturier. He well could have been the #1 overall pick in that draft. Not even close for Scheifele.

23. Phil C says:

Pierre McGuire on the radio in Ottawa said that he thinks part of the problem with Gomez was that his speed was over-rated and that’s why he had trouble staying with his man on the back check. As a result he was often out of position in his own end.

And I wonder if that relates to what appears to be now a chronic groin problem. I suspect our friend Scotty played through some pain while in Montreal as he was desperate to save his career.

I personally never doubted his effort, as I think is a chronic injury at play.

• Loonie says:

Yeah the effort knock always got me going. Cammalleri and Kovalev were always given a pass on their lack of effort but Gomez wasn’t.

The prototypical lightning rod.

• Mattyleg says:

It’s easier to give a pass to people who don’t backcheck if they are racking up points in the other end.

Harder to give the same leeway to someone who doesn’t produce.

• Loonie says:

True but effort is effort and Kovalev and Cammalleri each only had one good season with the Habs. Gomez had one too.

24. BJ says:

I’ve wondered what all of the HIO GM’s would do on the following two issues. One is only an “IF”: 1) If PK holds out and it came to the possibility of trading him who would be considered an equitable return? Two is a question for those of you who have more knowledge than I of players on other teams. I feel that we need one more big tougher type defenseman. 2) Who would be the best fit for us (within the frame work of someone that could be available).

• Loonie says:

If the possibility of trading Subban comes up it can’t be for picks or prospects in my opinion. He’s a young star. His value to the Habs goes beyond the ice because he’s the most marketable player they have.

Subban is a very difficult player to trade because he’s still in the development stage. If I were GM it would have to be a player I didn’t have to sell to the fans. Somebody who’s going to bring excellent production at a low cost financially who also happens to sell a lot of jerseys and t-shirts.

• BJ says:

Loonie thanks for the feedback. Please tell me who would be a fair trade?

Taylor Hall.

Edit: Hall’s contract extension pays him $6 million annually after this season. I’m not so sure he’s the best comparable.

I would also consider Yakupov, realize unproven but has a dynamic about him.

If indeed (i hope not) it comes down to a trade, I don’t think it can be for a defenceman. If for no other reason than that the dman who comes back will be expected to be just as dynamic as PK. I am not sure if I would trade straight for Jamie Benn, but would explore it.

• BJ says:

I like Taylor Hall and having Subban go west and not having to play against him too frequently could work. The thing with Subban is if it became a bad trade it could make it look like the Chelios for Savard trade or the Desjardins/LeClair for Recchi trade.

• Loonie says:

I doubt the Oilers would do it to begin with and I would have a lot of trouble making that deal if I’m Bergevin.

Subban should be in his long term plans. If he isn’t, for any reason it’s going to be a long and rough ride.

• wildwilly says:

I hate to say it but… Ryan McDonough. Same age. Roughly the same stats last year. Same potential to be a franchaise defenseman.

It would never happen, though.

• Loonie says:

On second thought. Yeah, let’s trade Subban. And I know exactly who to trade him to. The Winnipeg Jets.

Chevyldayoff and company are so blind that they passed on Sean Couturier to take Mark Scheifele and Mikhail Grigorenko for Jacob Trouba(granted Trouba’s probably gonna be a good one but they don’t need defensemen).

They passed on two World class players in the making for guys who are highly unlikely to be elite at their positions.

Lets get Chevy on the phone and make a deal.

• BJ says:

That could bring us over the cap!

• Phil C says:

I would not dismiss the pick of Trouba just yet. He was just named the best Defenseman at the WJC, which is amazing for an 18 year old at tournament normally dominated by 19 year olds. He showed great two-way skill and sometimes a bit of a mean streak.

• Loonie says:

And Grigorenko is continuing his elite pace in Quebec while scoring just under an elite pace at the WJHC.

I like Trouba quite a bit but I still think it will turn out to be a mistake among many they’ve already made.

• Phil C says:

Bob Mackenzie tweeted yesterday that everyone seems to be looking for defensemen, like Edmonton and Detroit as an example, so it might be tough to to get a defenseman in return for Subban. It would be more likely to get a forward in return in this market.

Given Montreal’s lack of leverage if PK holds out, it would also be tough to get a good return in a trade, look what Columbus got for Rick Nash.

If he holds out, I say let him sit and retain another year of RFA status. The Habs would be a long shot to take a run at the Cup at this point anyway.

• Loonie says:

I agree with most of that except the Nash comparable. Huge cap hit and a player who is very likely on decline instead of trending upward.

I like the move for the Rangers but it shouldn’t be compared to a 23 year old RFA.

25. Loonie says:

Regarding Price conversation below.

There shouldn’t be much debate that he’s an extremely talented and athletic goalie with the size and pedigree that you want in your crease to develop.

Now regarding his production. I’d be curious to see how the so called “elite” goaltenders of the NHL would play with a collective group of undersized and offensive minded defensemen in front of them.

I think it’s a bit premature to dismiss Price as average when you consider that two years ago he was the primary reason this team went to the playoffs and took the Cup champions seven games.

In his most recent season when the team wasn’t an absolute dumpster fire he played 70+ games with 8 shutouts, a .923 save percentage and 2.35 GAA. And not much has changed on defense since then.

In agreement with you bud, his defensemen over the past few years has been quite a collection of parts which normally wouldn’t be assembled as collective group to move forward with.

I like Price, I think he is an above average goalie who could become better. It will be on him and the team in front of him to improve.

BUt I don’t think any goalies put up better numbers with the group he had in front of him last year, nevermind the front office/coaching mess of last year.

• Loonie says:

Thanks pal. I just find it funny that Quick and Lundqvist are just so obviously better than Price and yet Quick who was admittedly better had Doughty and company in front of him, never mind the small collection of elite defensive forwards. Lundqvist has a system and personnel in front of him that inflates goaltending numbers. Richards, Callahan, Staal, Girardi, Del Zotto and that other guy.

To me at the end of the day, our lead goaltender is the least of our worries.

My biggest concern is still the overall Defence group as we are overstocked with puckmovers and need more body movers.

2nd concern is proven goal scorers. To me beyond Cole and MaxPac, it is questionable. I love Gionta but he needs a bounceback year. Bourque has lots to prove, what other snipers per se do we have? Eller and Plex need big years which involves wingers finishing.

For the first time in years, I really like the look of our 3rd/4th line depth.

Sign PK, and hope MB can hoodwink a gm or two with some of our dmen. May not reap the benefits of it this year, as essentially this year we are showcasing these excess dmen and need them to look effective.

A building year indeed.

• Chris says:

Quick and Lundqvist are obviously better than Price.

People here are often comparing Subban and Doughty. I personally find that comparison a bit unfair to Subban, but he’s not **THAT** far off Doughty.

The rest of the Kings defence isn’t exactly huge on name-appeal. And Quick put up great numbers the year before despite not having Jeff Carter or Mike Richards backing up Kopitar and Brown.

Lundqvist has only been the most consistently great goaltender in the league since he came in. Yes, he has a great stable of YOUNG defencemen in front of him. Only ONCE in 7 NHL seasons has his save percentage dipped below 0.915. In four of those seasons, it was above the 0.920 mark that many people seem to use to identify the truly elite goalies.

And if Lundqvist benefited from a defensive system, just exactly what was Jacques Martin using in Montreal? I always find it funny how quickly people dismiss goalies like Rinne or Lundqvist for playing in a defensive system, but somehow absolve Halak or Price of the same benefit of the doubt under Martin.

26. Cal says:

PK played a lot last year. For a team that finished 28th. He’s not going to be getting minutes like that for the forseeable future, actually giving him time to get better. 2 years at $4 to $5mill should be enough. If it isn’t, I wonder how he’ll enjoy Edmonton?

27. Loonie says:

On the surface it just looks like Meehan and Bergevin are apart on a contractual agreement.

But I wonder how much of this is related to CBA negotiations. It was widely reported during the lockout that the owners were looking for a capped number for percentage increase on aav from first contracts to second contracts.

You have to wonder how much that played into Bergevin’s negotiation strategy and today how much it may have negatively impacted the negotiations.

• CanadienBoy says:

Meehan always been after the bigger money ,that s were the problem is

• Loonie says:

Markov took a huge discount to stay with the Habs with Meehan as his agent. Granted Meehan was reportedly upset about it Nick Kypreos who is very close to Subban is saying that their camp is looking for $5 million annually. For a defenseman of Subban’s ability, production and considering his role on the team, that isn’t unrealistic or greedy.

In fairness, his last contract turned out not to be a discount, but that was beyond anyones control.

I still believe MB and the PK camp will find an agreement.

28. Marc10 says:

PK Subban is the most exciting prospect on D since Chelios. Why are we not signing him to the full 8 years? If he doesn’t fit into the organization’s long term plans, then sign him and trade him. There’ll be a ton of teams wanting in on that action.

A stud D who can play 29 odd minutes in the playoffs, destroy opponents with earth shattering checks, hard one timer, charismatic, dedicated to being the best, hated by everyone but his bro in Beantown… C’mon! Lock him up already!

• BJ says:

I like PK as well and your comparison to Chelios is a good one. Having said that there is one element that concerns me with PK and its the chemistry in the dressing (I know, I know as per Commandant no one knows what goes on there, maybe for him it is his reality, but I still stand by my “source” and that of several journalists very close to the team. If its off ice behavior as in personal life (its none of our business) but dressing room attitude is another scenario. I would like Bergevin to sign him for 1-2 years at 4 for one year or 3.75 for two. Let him play up to a #1 status over that time and then sign him to a contract similar to Price.

Good morning HI/O folks, 5 more sleeps and we have Habs hockey to watch. So looking forward to getting my Saturday nights back to normal. Granted having watched some of that UFC on a few Sat. nights did at times seem like a Bruin game was on.

Under cruel and unusual punishment, assuming the rumour that PG indeed had a deal in place to send Mr. Gomez to the Islanders, wouldn’t it be something if the only team to offer him a contract next summer was indeed the Islanders? Okay, I should just move on, but watching TSN discuss Gomez that thought came to me.

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Gerald. You seem in fine spirits this morning. I am becoming more and more nervous over the PK signing. The business side of the game sucks.

———————————–

• Dulljerk says:

He probably wants 5, they want 2. Will be interesting to see what transpires. They only gave Price a 2 year deal after his ELC. Could they be shopping him around a bit? Never hurts to see what his value is.

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

It is worrisome in that arguably our most valuable defensemen is not getting training camp time in order to be ready for the NHL season. However, on the flip side I think it is good that MB is not just rolling over per se in giving whatever it is that Meehan/PK want. MB has to do what is in the Habs best interests.

While we just shed a big contract moving forward, this team still has many significant contracts for players whom it could be argued are not worthy of such contracts. The Habs can not continue overspending for each asset they need.

I believe a fair deal will be reached, if it cannot be reached then other options must be investigated. I still remain hopeful, if we get to the first game of the season and still no progress, I will then begin panicking.

Good morning Sir, hope you are feeling better and have shaken that flu bug.

• doug19 says:

Scott Gomez was 222nd in scoring this year in the ECHL. Scott had 6 goals and 7 assists in 11 games . The team Alaska Aces has played 40 games. Why did he miss so many games? Was it a late start, injury or he or the team sitting him out? Was he game ready for the NHL season?

• Habfan10912 says:

It was both Doug. He joined the Aces late. Played 10 games. Missed about 10 days at which was first reported as food poisoning and later changed to lower body. He then played 2 games prior to the end lockout.

———————————–

30. HabsFanMTL says:

my lady friend tells me she is clairvoyant… i told her i can’t wait for my hockey to start woohoo go habs……she said theres someone on the team that will be traded……… i said whats the name? first name? she said it starts with a P……P …K or something……

31. habsfan4ever says:

Jack todd, what a joke.. Plz retire.. In your hero’s and zero’s segment, you shld be under the zero column yourself.. Period !! As far as our Habs go, Gomez had to go, way to step up to the plate MB especially to G Molson.. It feels like ages ago our team was runned by a freak side show circus act with Mr gauthier and Jacques Martin’s non 2 way communicative coaching tactics, too bad Muller was’nt 0,1 % french he knew how to make the players play and gel, kind of when we upset the Caps n Pens a few years ago, any1 who had a clue knew Captian Kirk was pulling the strings then, with him gone last year, injuries to key players and lack of motivation by the players, his non presence was felt. He was a proud Bleu Blanc Rouge Stanley Cup winning Canadien, who knew how hockey and the city of Montreal should be played on the ice. MB shows me signs of that passion, for me the jury is out on Michel therrien, but illg give him a 2nd chance as a fan, I’m glad gauthier gomes and martin r Finally out of the picture, time to move 4ward, and plz PK, take a prove it 2 year contract already, as Price n Patches have done, and you will make your deserved mega multi year contract, Go Habs Go !!!!!!!! Knock on wood, let’s hope we stay healthy for once this year ;)

32. commandant says:

Nice to see the free game…. and some of the other things NHL teams around the league are doing.

Would be nicer if it wasn’t necessary… just saying.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

Anyone else has issues accessing the site? Usually it’s a sign of some big news and HIO archaic servers can’t handle the traffic.

But doesn’t look like it. Seems to work fine via the iPhone and no news.

34. tippytoes says:

I wish there was some on ice video of Therrien going through some drills…first day player assessments would also be nice. I instead its all Gomez

35. naweed235 says:

anybody know how the Thursday night simulated game will work for those who want to attend it? I know it’s a free event but do you need to acquire some sort of tickets prior or is it first come first served?

36. jols101 says:

I really thought this Lockout would have a real negative impact with the fans, especially South of the border. First day of Camp and rinks are packed to the rafters with fans eating it up. Weird. Lockout good for business, who knew. lol

37. habaholic68NJ says:

Gomer era: RIP
    Thank you Mr Molson for allowing the buyout

*Listen to my instrumental tribute entitled “Habs at War” at http://petertoliasmusic.site11.com/Music_Site/OtherOriginalMusic.html

38. Saintpatrick33 says:

Great article by Todd as usual

39. Bill says:

Still not feeling bad for Gomez. Gionta and Pacioretty were very moving in their soliloquies, but I come to bury Gomez, not to praise him. The evil that men do lives after them: the good is oft interred with their hockey bag. So let it be with Gomez’s contract.

Full Breezer 4 Life

40. Nina76 says:

Well that much is done……next is Subban ??????

41. SlovakHab says:

Sorry – nah. I am not reading a Jack Todd article.

Nice try though.

42. Chris says:

I know I’m going to get nailed for this, but what the heck… :)

Now that Scott Gomez is gone, the Montreal Canadiens have to look at other players who need to live up to their cap hits this season if the team has any hopes of rising to contender status.

Carey Price

13 W (37th)
    20 L (15th)
    OTL 5 (31st)
    2.77 GAA (31st)
    0.912 SV% (21st)
    0 SO (41st)

Price got rewarded for being a great player on a mediocre team and a mediocre player on a terrible team. He’s now the third highest cap hit among all NHL goalies. I have faith in him, but he’s got to step up and earn that cap hit now, because he is being paid like a guy who can elevate his team and/or carry them to wins that they have no business winning.

Andrei Markov

I don’t think we need to post the numbers. Andrei Markov has the 15th highest cap hit in the NHL. He’s being paid like an elite NHL defenceman, and that is what we saw for the four years following the lockout (2005-06 to 2008-09). He had a good run in 2009-10 after returning from his sliced foot, but the knee injury suffered in the playoffs that season has seen him play only 20 games since the spring of 2010.

If Markov doesn’t return to being a 35-45 point defenceman capable of revitalizing their terrible power play, the Montreal Canadiens are toast this season, especially if Subban’s holdout stretches any length of time.

Brian Gionta and Tomas Plekanec

At $5 M each, Gionta and Plekanec are tied for the 49th highest cap hit among all NHL forwards. They also represent the Habs veteran leadership core among the forwards as team captain and longest tenured forward, respectively.

Gionta’s season was obviously wiped out by injuries last season, which was probably a mercy given how miserable his season was going at the time (31 GP, 8 G, 15 PTS, -7). In his previous two seasons, Gionta finished 33rd and 31st (in only 61 games) in goals scored. The Habs desperately need 25-30 goals from Gionta to give them the requisite secondary scoring required to be a true playoff team in the NHL.

Plekanec is a tough guy to criticize because he works his tail off defensively every game, playing hard minutes on the PK as one of the best penalty killers in the league. But it always comes at a price. A guy who often gets off to hot starts fades down the stretch every season and has finished 89th, 58th, and 28th in scoring among NHL forwards over the past three seasons. The trend is going the wrong way.

Plekanec was fantastic in the Czech league during the lockout, which can only have helped his confidence after a very frustrating season in Montreal last year. And my own personal prayer is that the emergence of Eller, the return of Moen and the addition of Prust can relieve Plekanec of some of his leg-draining PK duties. Unfortunately, he remains the best (of a bad lot) at faceoffs on the team, so I’m not optimistic that Therrien won’t overplay him in that role too.

With Gomez gone, the spotlight has to shift to the Canadiens core guys that need to carry the team to the tune of their own cap hits. Last season, Price, Plekanec, Gionta and Markov didn’t get it done for a variety of reasons.

While the Cole-Desharnais-Pacioretty line was fun to watch, this team’s fate is not in their hands. It would be great if those guys can maintain their form, but they could just as easily regress.

The veterans are the guys who have proven they can play the game at a high level year in and year out. If they don’t get it done this season, I think we can expect a wholesale house-cleaning in the off-season (although I suspect Price will be immune from any purges).

• alfieturcotte says:

Agree with your assessment on Price except that I think it was more generous than he deserves. Price is average, only average but getting paid like a superstar. I remain shocked that the brain trust in Mtl continues to get hoodwinked by this underachiever.

• jedimyrmidon says:

So ability-wise, who in the NHL would you consider Price similar to?

• Chris says:

I think Price, ability-wise, matches up very well with Luongo.

And I’m not saying that as a diss at Price. I’m referring more to the dominant Luongo, the one who, when he’s on his game, is one of the best goalies of his generation.

• rhino514 says:

Price is a good goalie. He´s just not great yet. To me, I´d say he´s just outside of the top five right now. Outside of Lundquist, rinne, and Quick, I´d say it´s very difficult to rank the rest of the top ten because there is very little room between them, but he is part of that second tier of good goalies. It may take one, two, or three years for him to be considered one of the top 4 or 5 goalies in the world, but I think it´s gonna happen, and the contract speaks to that in part. and what you have to keep in mind is he is already the best goalie the league his age or younger, so he is still going to get better, no one how much better.
            Save percentage IS afected by team quality. If you look at teams with losing records over the past fifteen years or more, almost no have goalies have managed to have a save percentage as high as Price did last season.

• Bill says:

I think the premise of your essay is fatally flawed. The players you listed are all highly productive, effective players, and each one has a considerably smaller cap hit than the incredibly unproductive player you compare them to.

Gomez is such an extreme example of uselessness vs. investment that he is basically comparable to no other professional athlete I can think of. If I were to compare him to something appropriate to his lack of ROI, it would be like the Edsel.

For Price to be like Gomez, he would have to play like Andre Racicot. For Gionta and Pleks … well they would have to score a goal every calendar year. And make more money.

I don’t get this post!

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Chris says:

The point of the post was that the team largely played without Gomez for much of last season and still finished in the doldrums. Gomez has not been an impact player now for almost five years.

People point the finger at him for the teams struggles, but at the end of the day I don’t think there were any sane people counting on Scott Gomez for much more than 40 points last season, which is about what you’d expect from a 2nd-3rd line forward like what he had become.

The Gomez saga distracted from what really ailed the team. They had little to no secondary scoring, they had a defence corps that was leaky and did not contribute much offence, they had a pitiful power play and their goaltender, while good, didn’t manage to steal too many points.

That pretty much all needs to change for this team to have much hope this season.

I’m not comparing those guys to Gomez’s ineptitude. But I am shining the spotlight on them. They are the guys counted on to lead the Montreal Canadiens this season. I will be watching with some curiosity to see if they answer the bell.

• The Dude says:

Don’t worry Chris all the nailing was done with all OF YOU SO CALLED “REAL HAB FANS…LOL” and your “Gainey we trust”and ” Price is the best”and Small players are all we need in the New N.H.L. bs” I t was fans like I ,Timo ,H.H. and the few that were called out daily as Trolls and Leaf fans so the majority of Anglo fans on this site could “Prove us wrong ” or “Unfit to be a Habs fan”! Well I am very glad to report that AFTER WATCHING THE HABS FOR NOW OVER 50 YEARS I was unhappily right and NHL hockey really is “all about winning the cup “and last year our Habs were” record breaking LAST PLACE HORRIBLE”. You all read yourselves now and dam if you don’t sound like me,lol. And if you think that with Cube,Nokia,Blunden, Kabs ,Armstrong,Commodore and White etc with a new coaching staff and Management that LOSING PRIMA-DONNA ATHLETES ARE AN ACCEPTABLE PART OF THE NEW HABS….WELL YOU AND EVERYONE ELSE HAVE A BIG SURPRISE A CUMMING ! It’s called ACCOUNTABILITY! …I PREDICT HUGE changes are coming”HUGE” and it’s about F’n TIME! The Fact you all doubt a fan of 50 years or a Red Fisher say’s as much as last years Habs results….try this time to type and watch ! :) :) :)

• christophor says:

“great player on a mediocre team and a mediocre player on a terrible team”

If traditional stats are the measure of great and mediocre, then it’s next to impossible for there to be a great goalie on a bad team, since a great GAA and win total means the team isn’t mediocre or terrible.

i.e. Your method of evaluation implies that if a team is terrible, the goalie is always a major reason. Inversely, there’s nothing in your methodology that won’t lead us to simplistically conclude that virtually all great teams have great goalies.

Evaluating (and awarding contracts to) goalies based on traditional stats is about as accurate as palm reading. That’s not really an insult to traditional stats, or at least not as much as it seems: a palm reader gleans broad facts about you in order to paint some very broadly accurate/applicable picture you. Same goes for traditional stats. The game’s way too complicated for evaluation like this.

• Chris says:

Except that, in this case, the statistics basically jived with what my eyes told me.

In 2010-11, Carey Price was phenomenal, especially before Christmas. He was playing out of his mind, and the team’s record reflected that. When he returned to Earth, so did the Habs.

Last season, Price was more consistently good, but less often great. Unfortunately, the team absolutely stunk, so good wasn’t enough to change their fortunes. Montreal needed him to be consistently great, and probably will again this year.

It is not fair to Price, but his supporting cast is not particularly strong. But he’s payed like one of the big boys now so there has to be increased expectations on him going into this season.

Last year was not a great year for the goalie fraternity. Aside from Quick and Lundqvist, who were head and shoulders above the crowd, a lot of the “name” goalies were not quite themselves. Price had good stretches, but he didn’t steal many games. Luongo had a horrible funk to start the season and it basically cost him his job. Rinne was good, but he was better in previous season when he had a less strong supporting cast. Thomas went a little nuts.

As for traditional stats, I kind of find it tiring how so many like to dismiss them. I can tell you with 100% certainty that a lot of the “advanced” stats are just absolute BS. The “scoring chance” stat in particular, as it is calculated by the advanced stats aficionados and given so much credence, is simply a joke when you see what they are actually calling (or not calling) a scoring chance. Shots from the point are my favourite. A one-timer from the point is only counted as a scoring chance if it actually results in a goal. Hmm.

End of the day, goals against and saves are what define a goaltender. That is why those remain the most discussed stats for goalies. Are they solely contingent upon the goalie? Of course not. NO stat is solely contingent on a single player.

In the case of Price, he was the victim of some terrible defensive play in front of him and abysmal goal support (although he still got more goal support than Jonathan Quick, I might add).

When Price is on his game, he is clearly one of the elite goalies in the league. But you could say that about a dozen guys. I’m looking for Price to establish himself at the same level as Quick and Lundqvist this season. He’s got all the tools to do so, now he’s just got to put it all together.

43. L Elle says:

If my boss asked me to leave the job, and was going to pay me my full salary for the next 1 1/2 years, I’d be packed and outta there in 5 minutes, while doing cartwheels all the way home. And, I love my job.

In Gomez’ case, he’ll never have to wonder how he’s going to make rent for the rest of his life, I would have to find employment at some time in the future. That’s my destiny, I accept it.

This is Gomez’ destiny. Being overpaid has just as many consequences as being underpaid. As a professional athlete, unless you totally don’t have a clue, you know all eyes will be on you to perform. MB made the right decision. With that kind of cap hit, our Habs can never be an elite team, unless the player produces like a Stamkos. Even then, his team didn’t make the playoffs either.

There are no more players, just contracts to manage. There are a lot of people in this world I can feel sorry for, but Gomez is not on that list. Not because I am uncaring, but because Gomez has the luxury of doing whatever, and going wherever, and enjoying life to its fullest. Actually, he is quite blessed.

• SlovakHab says:

Many people actually do think that because hockey players earn millions, they are set for life.

I think in many cases, people can’t be further from the truth. You stop earning around the age of 35, and there is a good chance that many players mismanage their money and are broke by 50.

I don’t know about Scotty, but he’ll earn less than 2M this year after pro-rating and taxes. That’s not Warren Buffet territory. One bad investment or a stupid decision and that money can be gone.

Many lottery winners are back to where they started just a few years after their win. If you can’t manage your money, no matter how much you are paid now, you will still end up broke sooner or later.

• L Elle says:

This is all true. But should the irresponsibility of the person be our concern too? Anyone of us can be broke at 50.

Even with 2m, he is still 2m ahead of me. ;)

Joking aside, he is still employable. He can be useful to some other team once he’s bought out. I doubt he’ll be clipping coupons anytime soon.

• SlovakHab says:

Not at all!
          In fact, I don’t feel sorry for Gomez at all, glad he is gone.
          He doesn’t deserve 10% of money he is earning for his performance in the last 2-3 years.

And I agree that he might be back in NHL next season. If Colby Armstrong found a job, Gomez can too. He’ll be good for 5 goals and 15 assists.

• Bill says:

“Clipping coupons” … lol. Now there’s an image.

Full Breezer 4 Life

44. ProHabs says:

According to Pat Hickey, Gomez’s agent has contacted the Fantasy Hockey League to see if anyone needs his services.

45. So the lockout ran 110+ days. I guess HIO never figured out how to allow users to update their profile, etc. in the meantime? Every time I do it, it goes back to what it was.

___________________________________________

Exploring the Habs history at Le Tir, et Le But! Follow me on Twitter

46. NightRyder says:

The handling of Gomez to me illustrates a firm commitment to move forward. I never once cheered against him when he had the CH on his chest, just spent the other 21 hours of a given day wishing he was gone. I hope he lands somewhere next year with a mediocre team eyeing the cap floor and wows their fans with his endless forays behind the net.

47. Jack Todd…stopped reading.

___________________________________________

Exploring the Habs history at Le Tir, et Le But! Follow me on Twitter

48. Mattyleg says:

Holy Moly, I am so not reading Junk Todd’s article.

49. kholdstare says:

Never feel sorry for someone that makes that kind of money, its a rule.

50. Mattyleg says:

Oh man…
    I guess it’s pretty early in LA.

51. Ozmodiar says:

> Think before you post.

oh, the irony.

very, i knew your post would catch a few.

53. Cal says:

That a 10 on the “OH the Irony” scale. :)

54. Mattyleg says:

Ding!
    Always a pleasure to see your moustache grace these pages, Ozy.

55. Cal says:

Shhh! You’ll wake him.

56. Psycho29 says:

Dave Stubbs told him he didn’t fit into HI/O’s plans any longer and sent him home. He will be bought out next summer.
    If he keeps posting and gets a paper cut then he cannot be bought out.

;-)

57. Chuck says:

WJC is Gomez.

___________________________________________________

58. Ozmodiar says:

Oh, i see what you did there. You took the ‘y’ out of ‘irony’ to come up with ‘iron’, the element found in vitamins.

Very well played!!

Did everyone catch that?? LA IS on his game today!!

59. frontenac1 says:

I knew it! Hey,anybody else notice that nuna has not been around since Burkie got canned?

5 years would be plenty long enough to expose the coasters in this league.!

Look down, not too far just a little bit amigo! :)

62. frontenac1 says:

Oops! Just saw the comment. There goes that theory.

63. Cal says:

nuna is Burkie? LMAO!

64. Rugger says:

Actually with the truncated season, it will only take 2, maybe 3 game losing streak to trigger the pitchforks.

65. nunacanadien says:

One thing has never changed. The Habs horrible experiment to see if small players who skate fast can win a stanley cup, or rather, Let Us Coors USA Sabotage The Habs By Saying Skating Fast Works…ok.

66. nunacanadien says:

Apparently they all seem to think Gomez was a great player and think I’m nuts for calling Gomez what he was to begin with. I called Crazy Bob Gainey for what he was and look at all the abuse I got. If you fans want to root for pathetic losers keep cheering for the habs under Geoff Molson who seems to go from one bad signing to another. If all the energy he spent trying to save money went to actually signing a real NHL player, then he’d have less trouble as a team of real NHL players would get you wins and a cup…..too bad Geoff Molson is basically nickle and diming this team to death with only signing those players no one wants and overpaying them Gomez style to make it look like we’ve signed real good players, when all we’ve done is sign players with agents who only want to rip off the habs and who could care less ala Halak style about the quality of their players.