Holland becomes a Hab on same day Hamrlik retires

Patrick Holland grew up wanting be Jerry Seinfeld. He’ll have to settle for being a Hab.

Holland (photo above) was called up from the Hamilton Bulldogs on Monday along with fellow forward Mike Blunden and defenceman Nathan Beaulieu. Beaulieu, who has has been up and down like a yo-yo this season between the NHL and AHL, had been quietly sent to Hamilton on the weekend before being recalled yet again.

“When I was growing up, I wanted to be Jerry Seinfeld,” Holland told reporters in Brossard following Monday’s practice as the Canadiens prepare to face the Edmonton Oilers Tuesday at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

The moves came on the same day the team announced that forward Brandon Prust will be sidelined for four weeks with a right shoulder injury and that Daniel Briere will be out indefinitely with a concussion suffered in Saturday’s loss to Nashville.

“I was a bit surprised,” Holland said about being called up. “I knew they lost a few players and you’re hoping you get the chance. Sly (Bulldogs head coach Sylvain Lefebvre) called me after the game and I thought that was good news, and then (general manager Marc Bergevin) told me they were calling me up.”

The Canadiens also told rookie Michael Bournival to find an apartment in Montreal, meaning he’s in Montreal for the long run.

Blunden has played in 95 NHL games, including 44 for the Canadiens over the past two seasons. Beaulieu has played two games with the Canadiens this season.

Meanwhile, former Canadiens defenceman Roman Hamrlik announced his retirement on Monday after playing in 1,395 NHL games during his 20-year career.

“I had four special seasons here, four incredible years,” Hamrlik told The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs about his time in Montreal. “I already miss competing against the best players, going to the rink, having fun with the guys, travelling.

“But I know I’m doing the right thing retiring. It was a great honour to play in the world’s best league for as long as I did.

“And this whole city lives hockey. The energy that’s in the Bell Centre? I wish every player had the chance to play here. It’s a truly special place.”

(Photo by Dario Ayala/The Gazette)

Habs call up Holland, Blunden from Hamilton, by Pat Hickey

Hamrlik hangs up skates after 20 seasons, by Dave Stubbs

Locked and loaded, Canadiens.com

Prust out for four weeks, montrealgazette.com

Crosby and MacKinnon trick shots (video), NHL.com

1. HabFab says:

Derek Wills – With 5 regulars (6 including Christian Thomas) up with @CanadiensMTL or down with injury, it’s a good thing @BulldogsAHL have good depth!
    With all of the call-ups & injuries, it looks like @Sfournier74 will make pro debut & @MorganEllis4 will play for first time this season.

2. HabFab says:

Eberle will attempt to play tonight.

Beaulieu to replace Tinordi.

3. DipsyDoodler says:

Please help me select a team to cheer for at the Olympics if PK is left off Team Canada.

I need data.

Pros and Cons please.

Russia is out of the question.

I’m leaning towards Scandinavian countries and perhaps Switzerland.

• Timo says:

Mexico. Scotty G will be on that team and he is a former Hab who was unfairly and unceremoniously discarded by the club.

• Max_a_million says:

The Netherlands –

-Colors Red, White, and Blue comme les Habitants.
      -The Coat of arms has Lion on it!
      -The most famous Dutch Hockey player – Ed Beers!
      -I don’t understand what’s going on here, but the Hall of Fame website seems cool: http://www.dutchhockeyhalloffame.nl/
      -Former Dutch colonies include – South Africa, New Guinea, Bornea, Java, Sumatra, Batavia, New Amsterdam (New York), St. Martin, Dutch Antilles
      Which leads to a great sentence I was in east Batavia having a Java with St. Martin with Franky Bouillon who was born in New Amsterdam looking for Guinea Pigs.

Plus I think think Francis Bouillon is elgible to play for them.

• sane hockey fan says:

Pathetic

4. Max_a_million says:

A lot of young big time scorers seem like bust the first couple of years. (LaFleur, Lecavalier, LeClair …)

I doubt Edmonton wants any part of a trade for Yakupov.

5. Max_a_million says:

@mattyleg
    Counting goalies:
    Toronto – 73.9 inches – 203.9 lbs
    Montreal – 72.3 inches – 199.6 lbs

Not counting goalies:
    Toronto – 73.8 inches – 204.5 lbs
    Montreal – 72.1 inches – 198.8 lbs

• Luke says:

Do you think 1.6 inches and 5.8 pounds really makes a difference?

If it does, Crosby is doooooooooooooooooomed.

• Max_a_million says:

If you are shooting for toughness this a HUGE difference. Over an entire team the difference is absolutely HUGE. We won’t win trying to go toe to toe in toughness with Toronto. When we try like opening night, we lose.
        Marc Bergevin wants a bigger tougher team, his words. Don’t sign DD and Briere to bad contracts as a start.

• Luke says:

Tootoo is short and he’s tough. Heck, Gionta is as tough as they come. So is Gallagher and they are super super short.

Oh wait, how are you defining toughness? we might be arguing different things here…

I define it as “paying the price” and being fearless. Taking hits to make plays etc… to me, size has little impact on toughness as it is more force of will as opposed to being tall and heavy. Plenty of big soft guys (B Pouliot) will bump the average height up, while Gallagher and tootoo would bump it down. But they are way tougher then 6’3 210lb B Pouliot.

• Timo says:

Then Gorges is the toughes mofo in the league cause I don’t think anyone gets nailed more than Gorges.

• DipsyDoodler says:

“Do you think 1.6 inches … really makes a difference?”

I’d get modded if I answered.

6. JM says:

If it’s speed you want . You’ll have it tonight. Myself I want Guys that can put the puck in the net at one end and keep it out at the other!!

7. frontenac1 says:

Somebody mentioned earlier that Tarnasky was a crappy fighter? He is not that bad. A 51% career win average . I saw him fight only only once since joining the Habs and he got in some good licks against Neil before losing his balance. He is also Ugly,which helps.

8. I was just watching the Nystrom “accidental” contact with Briere. In no way was it unintentional. On the second slow motion replay from ice level, at about 35-37 seconds into the video, you can see Nystrom turn his head ever so slightly towards Briere. He saw him and then clearly braced for the hit. http://bit.ly/H03VaG

Typical NHL office bull$#@t.

I’m no Briere fan, and slow starter or not, he can’t put up any points from the clinic.

And in the bigger picture, I hope he’s okay sooner than later.

DDonais

Hall and apparently Eberle are injured and won’t play tonight. Who wants to bet that Habs will make it more difficult than it has to be tonight?

10. jeffhabfan says:

Thanks guys I will see you there on Friday. GO HABS GO.

Hab’s are getting much younger!!!

Average age for tonight’s game is 29.8yrs. old!!

“Le collègue Dany Dubé déclarait à la radio après le match contre Columbus que si la sélection avait lieu maintenant, Subban ne ferait pas partie de la délégation canadienne.”

I swear to god I will cheer against hockey team Canada if that’s the case.

13. frankcasting says:

I hate Mike Brown. But I wish Bergie had picked him up for a fourth or a third or whatever. If San Jose, who are serious Cup contenders, think he was worth a 4th yesterday, there must be something to him, and given the Prust and Parros injuries, we sure could have used the jerk. These are the moments that define NHL GMs, those who act (San Jose), those who dare to invite the next Randy Cunneyworth era with another dose of Blunden (Bergie).

Loving the Habs since 1965

• Timo says:

You didn’t enjoy Randy Cunnyworth era? I thought it was great. After all it laid foundation for the bright future.

• dr. gesundheit says:

Agree. I know we (everyone who posts on this site) needs to acknowledge the fact that MB is much more qualified to fill the position of GM (probably than all of HIO’s posters combined). But, sometimes the decisions (to do nothing) boggle the mind (considering the cost, considering the obvious need, considering the fact that another (very knowledgeable/successful) GM seems to agree). We are all impatient (but sometimes MB seems somewhat Goat-like).

14. Max_a_million says:

@mattyleg
    I didn’t get to respond to you yesterday. You are not filling a clown car with oddly shaped humans. Of course you can make a bizarre counterexample on the small scale. 23 players is enough distribution to mitigate the weirdness.
    Now I am not advocating for a tougher team I am open to a speed team or whatever, Marc Bergevin is though.
    That being said Toronto decided to add size and toughness and they are on average 2 inches taller and 4.5 lbs heavier and I think it is quite noticeable. I would rather have had Eric Cole for 4 million a year than Daniel Briere. When Cole doesn’t score he is still hitting people and clearing space. I think when you look at succesful teams they have size at centre. MB said he wants size and toughness. The DD contract makes no sense at all in too many ways unfortunately. That’s a guy you lowball, and if he doesn’t take it you let him walk away. It’s a business.

15. Luke says:

Re: Tootoo…
    Earlier i said i was in favour of picking him up. I do like him as a player. He’s in the Prust mode. Useful and tough etc…

However… 1.9mil cap hit… yikes! no thanks.

• Timo says:

… as compared to 4 mil cap hit by Briere? Yes, thanks.

But thanks to the genius of Mr. Bergevin I don’t think Habs have 1.9 cap space, do they? And even if Habs did, is Tootoo a good character player who is good in the room?

• Luke says:

4 for Briere is already on the books (sort of… depends on the injury) so we have to accept and work with it.

1.9 for a 4th liner with no appreciable offense is tough to swallow (so is 4 for a 2nd liner with diminished (vanished?) skills, don’t get me wrong).

I like Tootoo and support an acquisition… but that 1.9 is huge. It’s like giving Briere 6 or DD 5. Its more than Parros and Prust. And I think he’s somewhere in between those two.

I’ll be happy if they do grab him. I’m not the one paying him, but I won’t like the Cap hit.

• Timo says:

Yeah, but he bring the Tootoo train… The opposing defensemen going into the corner with Tootoo bearing on him will be nervous at least. Toots has no fear and he can be a wrecking ball machine once in a while.

I would take him. Besides, like Front says, he is pretty ugly as well, so that’s a plus.

• Luke says:

Is #22 available? Because that’s what’ll make my mind up.

I don’t want him out the wearing #42 or #38 or something that isn’t #22. I’d rather unretire #2 and let him sharpee in another 2 on the jersey if need be.

I remember him throwing a monstrous clean check back when he was with Nashville. Some dude comes charging at him to fight and he spun and cold cokced the guy. The league suspended him for the ‘cheap shot’. How punching a guy who is charging you from behind to fight is a cheap shot, I don’t get. How the guy charging at him from behind to fight is OK with the league, but popping him isn’t… i don’t get.

I just don’t understand the league, I suppose, is what I’m saying.

• dr. gesundheit says:

It was Robidas who he suckered.

Tankaholics Anonymous: 12 step porgram

1. We admitted we were powerless over the need for a good Tanking every once in a while – that our drafting in view of our pro-scouting had become unmanageable.

2. Came to believe that a draft pick greater than our middle to late first round picks could restore us to glory.

3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of the new GM as we understood Him.

4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of prospect pool.

5. Admitted to the GM, to ourselves, and to other Habs fans the exact nature of our piss poor drafting, trades and development.

6. Were entirely ready to have the GM remove all these defects of development and mentoring.

7. Humbly asked the GM to remove our dead weight over priced veteran contracts.

8. Made a list of all players we traded away for nothing, and became willing to make amends to them all.

9. Made direct amends to the fans wherever possible, except when to do so would be to milk them for more money.

10. Continued to take personal inventory of our prospects and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.

11. Sought through high expectations to improve our conscious contact with the GM, as we understood Him, hoping only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.

12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these Steps, we tried to carry this message to other Tankoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

17. dhenry1234 says:

Paros- Injured. He’s such an important part of the team because he brings the element of “Don’t Mess with us or I will literally beat you up” Which allows Moen to play HIS game without worrying about being the guy that always has to drop them.

Briere – Injured. Hasn’t really done anything. I would much rather have Lecavalier. Briere needs to watch “The Rocket” as soon as he recovers from his concussion.

Pacioretty – Injured. Our Power forward top 3 Winger is out. That really sucks a lot. Patch is an Important piece of this Club du Hockey.

Murray – Injured – His nickname is CRANKSHAFT. Another important piece of the “Don’t F*$@ with us” Puzzle. Imagine Murray, Prust, Moen and Paros all on the ice at the same time. No longer will other teams be bothering us.

Emelin -Injured – Heavy Hitter. This guy is a Monster and the hardest worker on the Team. He spends most of his time at the rink and even has hidden Beds around so that he can sleep without going home.

Prust – Injured – Future Captain of Le Club du Hockey Canadien.

So many important, regular, and significant players are out of today’s lineup. The Team that is taking to the ice tonight is not “This Year’s Montreal Canadiens Team” yet. It’s going to be tough to play with this much character missing from this team on the ice, but that just means that it’s time for others to step it up.

Everyone playing tonight needs to have a Great game! No Excuse! Win the Puck Battles! Raise your Compete Level! If you play like that you’re going to win! Go Habs Go!

18. Phil C says:

Everything being said about Blunden this morning both good and bad makes him the perfect depth player. Good enough to play in the NHL, take a regular shift and not look out of place, but bad enough to clear waivers.

• JUST ME says:

Yes but for the Habs it is the case of been there,done that,seen that …I think that now they understand that they have more to gain to give a chance to guys like Bournival or Gallagher for instance that have something special in their game. Players like Blunden come in dozens in the league so for now he can fill a spot but i am not sure that ultimately he is part of the solution.

• thorandresson says:

obviously he’s not part of the ultimate solution, but he does provide very important depth, having a guy with NHL experience that you can easily bring up can be pretty key in a long season…

19. Ali says:

Disappointing that Leblanc hasn’t responded to the demotion. I think we all saw in the 24CH episode when he was cut that MB wanted him to their best player down there, and he’s off to a poor start by all accounts. Maybe not being called up is yet another wake-up call for the kid. Or maybe his gf will whine about it on twitter. Still think he needs to put on more weight, and it’s too soon to give up on him. But I’m getting that Danny Kristo feeling that a change of scenery is what the org has in store for him.

• Eddie says:

I’m sorry but I will jump in here, if you don’t mind.

Hamilton has played 4 games. In those 4 games, Leblanc has 9 shots on net. Is he on the power play? Is he playing top 6 minutes, I could not tell you.

The team has a total of 9 goals. Holland has 1 goal and 1 assist.

Drawing conclusions from these numbers that somehow Holland deserves the call up and Leblanc does not, seems a little ridiculous to me.

Holland was called up because he’s got excellent speed, and Therrien loves the speed game. Blunden brings that game as well.

Leblanc brings a different game. More of a crafty type of player who uses his hockey IQ more than speed to help you win.

• Max_a_million says:

I think you have a point. I think I read he wasn’t getting quality minutes as well. They seem to like to be hard with tough love on players when they think they need toughness. i.e. Subban
        I think they don’t want LeBlanc to be rewarded lightly. They want him to push hard, and see if he will respond to that.

I’m pretty sure this is the main justification for the bridge contract for Subban, because in the long term it’s a big money loser. But, and it could be quite a good strategy, they didn’t want PK to be rewarded too lightly. They wanted to force him into effort.

Louis will have to be good for a long time to get a call.

• Eddie says:

As of today I would say its a 50-50 bet whether Leblanc is called up again. He could be traded to another team that wants to try him as a scorer. If the Habs see him as a 3rd line winger, then maybe another team will have a more ambitious vision of his ceiling.

• Max_a_million says:

My bet is that he will be traded for a player that another organization is having issues with. Much like Pouliot for Latendresse. Bournival for O’Bryrne worked out so???

I don’t think any of us have seen enough of Leblanc this season to judge period. Your assessment of what each player brings seems accurate. BUt I am amazed at how many people (not directed at you Ali, but many posts over past few days) seem to know Leblanc’s game so well. Wonder how many of them have been to any Bulldogs games to know all this information.

• Ali says:

As I said, “by all accounts” he’s not off to a good start, from what I’ve read. And of course it’s early, but I can’t imagine that with injuries to both top six forwards (Max-Pac, Briere) and bottom six forwards (Prust, Parros) that there’s any reason why Leblanc isn’t of the belief that he could fill one of those roles.

And putting a skilled player like Holland on the fourth line with White and Moen brings me back to the days of seeing D’agostini on the 4th line where’s completely useless. Leblanc might actually complement them better.

Agree with max_a_million above, I think this is more of the tough love approach they’re using with PK. I just don’t know in this situation if they’re going to get the results they want.

• thorandresson says:

Bournival played on the 4th line and he flourished, Holland is very comparable to Bournival actually

• JUST ME says:

I agree with Eddie .The Bulldogs only played 4 games and had already to let go a few big pieces,Beaulieu and Bournival and deal with injuries. It remains to be seen as of now if Tinordi and/or Beaulieu will be sent back down. Personnaly for their sake and ours long term, i hope so. We should know soon enough.

I am not sure that the Holland and Blunden recalls are for the lenght of the injuries to Prust and Briere. Them might play the switch-a-roo game and bring Leblanc up here in a few games we`ll see…

Anyhow, i would not see Leblanc staying in Hamilton as a judgement nor is it one for Holland. I think they want to see what the kid is made of for a few games.

20. jeffhabfan says:

I am going to the summit leaving Friday Morning I do not know anyone but Ian but I am looking forward to meeting all my follow Habs fans on Friday.

21. New says:

This is a big call-up for Blunden I think. Do well and the worst that will happen is you’ll get scooped off waivers and have more than half a season of job security heading into UFA season. Good of the team to give him the chance.

• B says:

Isn’t there some kind of an injury replacement clause they can use to avoid Blunden having to clear waivers to be sent back down?

–Go Habs Go!–

• HabFab says:

Emergency recall if a team cannot ice 12F or 6D or 2G. There are some time limitations etc etc …. have to read the small print.

• New says:

I think you’re right. If the Habs roster has dropped below 2+6+12 due to injury and they return the player immediately an injured player comes off injury they might not have to (emergency recall). Right now they’re about four forwards, three D injured, neither Beaulieu nor Holland require waivers and these recalls make them 2+7+12.

Big opportunity for Blunden. Do well and force the Clubs hand.

22. frontenac1 says:

Article today on Homeboy Mike Smith and his new status as a Yotes sniper. Atta boy Smitty!

23. John Q Public says:

It’s contagious.

Montréal,QC (Newswire)

Youppi has upper body injury.
    Out indefinitely.
    Neck strain due to overly large head.

Bruiser called up from Bulldogs.
    “Those are some big shoes to fill. Ruf.”

24. nickster13 says:

Here is my trade proposition of the day.
    Trade: Plekanec for Yakupov (plus any pick on our end if necessary)

The Oilers get something they sorely need, a real centerman who can play both ends of the ice, some veteran leadership.
    We replace a guy who is a good, but with eller stepping up, and desharnais able to play 3rd line center, is expendable and can fetch a good return like an underperforming Yakupov. Yakupov can then play with Galchenyuk and hopefully rekindle the magic. Thoughts?

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the Rocket!”

• Ali says:

what they sorely need is a #1 defenseman, not another forward.

• nickster13 says:

Very true. But they also need anyone period who can play defence. They have the 27th ranked PK, and 22nd ranked PP. Pleks immediately would help them on both. Just a thought!

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the Rocket!”

• Mattyleg says:

I have a suspicion, perhaps I’m wrong, that Yakupov is a bit spoilt.
      His yapping and moaning when he was scratched reminded me more of Sergei Kostitsyn and Mickey Grabovski than someone with real character.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Eddie says:

According the Chris, who is lights out when it comes to scouting players, Yakupov is hugely talented, and is more like a Pavel Bure than a Kostitsyn or Grabovski.

I agree with you Matty. I don’t like players who go public with their complaints. It’s a bad sign that he is immature.

Any way, we’re not trading Plekanec any time soon.

• Mattyleg says:

For sure, Yak is the real deal skillwise, from all I’ve heard, but it’s more his attitude that the comparison was aimed at.

And I agree, Pleks is here for a while yet.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• NL_habs_fan says:

Interesting, to those saying the Habs wouldn’t trade plekanec, I believe when you consider a top end talent like Nail, Plex has to be on the table. If Edmonton is really looking for some help defensively maybe the trade could be modified to include Plekanec and Georges for Yakupov and Smyth.

As for the Character concerns of Yakupov, I believe if there really are some concerns, there are some neutralizining players on the habs in the likes of former teammate Galchenyuk and fellow countrymen Markov and Emelin.

Line-up

Pacioretty-Eller-Gionta
      Yakupov-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
      Smyth-Deharnais-Bourque
      Prust-White-Bournival (could switch Prust for Smyth)
      Briere-Moen

Subban-Markov
      Emelin-Diaz
      Tinordi-Murray
      Boullion

• oldtimerguy says:

its a great trade for both clubs…exactly what Edmonton needs and we get insane skill and a good bridge guy for another 1-2 yrs max.

yaks will be fine..he’s just young and used to be the guy…

25. Thomas Le Fan says:

Patrick Roy is the real deal. All he does is win. Going back in time, Tremblay (spit) should have been fired the next day and Corey should have kissed Patrick’s butt on the Corner of Ste. Catherine’s and Atwater begging him to reconsider.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk but … there is fighting in hockey.

26. Maritime Ronn says:

Re Patrick Roy

Nice ‘start’ to the Avs season, yet that team had/has a ton of talent, and many were injured in the short season last year.
    To date, they have been injury free.

Then look at those talent names up front:
    Landeskog-Duchene-O’Reilly-Stastny-MacKinnon-Parenteau, with toughness in Downie-Bordeleau-McLeod… and the hiring of Allaire has been great for Varlamov and his old goalie Giguere who had Allaire as coach in the past

As for Patrick, not only is he a winner everywhere he has been, he is also smart and knows how NOT to put himself in a position of failure.

He was supposedly offered the Avs job 3 years ago, but probably turned it down because of the lack of talent and an ownership that went on the cheap.
    It was a no win situation for him back then.

Patrick with the Habs?
    There was no way that was going to happen, and here’s believing it was a PR play by both sides from the get go.
    Patrick wanted player personnel power, and the Habs were not going to give it to him.

One just has to look at Roy’s official job title in Colorado:
    Patrick Roy – Head Coach/Vice President of Hockey Operations

• Ali says:

He also took a non-guaranteed contract which means if he’s ever fired he gets no money.

Paid his dues in the minors (unlike Carbo, who continues to refuse to do so despite openly saying he wants to coach in the NHL).

And you can bet his relationship with Sakic is a huge reason why he got that title. If Burnaby Joe figures he could use his insight, I won’t argue with him.

27. oldtimerguy says:

whenever the discussion of the tank comes up, some who are not in favour immediately cite the oilers as a reason not to….

well, how about Colorado? they look pretty decent with landeskog, duschenes ,mackinnon and o’reilly…

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Well, it’s a crap shoot isn’t it? I’m not for tanking but I am also not for signing over the hill stars in order to continue to be mediocre and finish in the middle of the pack. I would go with youth and the players developing in our system, win or lose. I think we are sort of on the right track with Bergevin but no one does this without making a few mistakes. Anybody here sure they could have done better?
      Go Habs!

• CalgaryHab says:

Easy to tank is an American market with a whole lot of other sports to deflect attention.

Valid point, the uproar in Montreal to have 4 pathetic seasons in a row is completely different than in Colorado or Miami etc….

The benefits of a tank are abundant, going through it however, costs GM’s/Coaches their jobs. One can’t intentionally tank, it isn’t in a winning GM’s DNA.

However, keep the wrong GM/coach combo together and you can tank forever!

• DipsyDoodler says:

Or in Edmonton where the fans cheered every loss.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Right. Americans are tankers. Canadians are infantrymen. We trudge on. Heh.

• oldtimerguy says:

who cares what market you’re in…you ONLY tank where it makes sense to the long term health of your team..not all situations are equal…we are in a perfect situation to tank…with the young core we have, the prospects coming, price showing his potential…we should do it now.

28. third generation haber says:

very true! All cup winners in recent history were tankers, except Boston who simply retooled between bad seasons and did more draft damage in the second rounds than most do in the first.

Fans of the tank are often considered “not true fans”, but obviously the folks who frequent this site are die-hards.

IMO, fans who support tanking see the big picture and want the habs to return to glory instead of just being another hockey team.

j.p. murray

• CalgaryHab says:

The problem with tanking is that it comes with a lot of pain. I’m not sure I could go through what Edmonton has. I’ve got friends that have lost hope – eventually it affects your life (lol)

• third generation haber says:

I believe Edmonton has managed to lose despite drafting gold! If I had drafted so many young studs, I’d probably load up on toughness so the young guns could practice their trade without fear.

Edmonton has also proven that all offence and zero goaltending and defence can’t get you very far.

It doesn’t help that players simply don’t want to play there.

j.p. murray

• CalgaryHab says:

I agree. I’ve stated many times to my Oiler fan buddies that they need to have the guts to trade a couple of their high end assets and build a true team – we’re seeing the results of not doing that.

• krob1000 says:

The Oilers may be doing a ltitel differently had they drafted Seth Jones probably could have got another pick or player in exchange for their pick and taken JOnes. They drafted 4 offesbnive players…they are all multi talented but they drafted 4 of the smae player…they need a stud man and a two way center instead they have all firepower but noone to take the puck ro repvent it from ending up in their net.

• oldtimerguy says:

we are far from Edmonton…its not a good comparison at all. If we tanked for a year or 2, by yr 3, lookout….

• Maritime Ronn says:

Very true about Boston.
      When they won the Cup, they only had 3 players on their roster that were original Bruin draft choices.
      Bergeron-Lucic-Marchand….4, if you counted Seguin that did not play most of the playoff games that year

29. Mattyleg says:

Just like to point out that the Avs are one of only 5 teams in the NHL to have no injuries.

That makes a big difference. (not the only difference, mind you, but it’s big.)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Ali says:

Fair point. It’s silly to say Patty’s a hall of fame coach already, and has been pointed out by others, Mario Tremblay got off to a similar start to his coaching career. All I’m saying is that despite his ego, what Roy cares most about is winning. And having been publicly humiliated by his coach, he’s the last person who would ever do so to any of his players.

• Mattyleg says:

Perhaps.
        We’ll see.
        If he is so bent on winning, it will be interesting to see what happens when his team stops winning. How will he be able to balance his own indomitable will against a team that doesn’t get results?

We’ll see.
        My suspicion is that it will go badly wrong.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Excellent point about the public humiliation, I will never forgive Tremblay for how he handled himself and the team. His smug look is all I remember about him. I can forgive Houle for not being a good GM, but I can’t forgive Tremblay for being an arrogant ornery prick.

• Ali says:

That tag-team set the organization spiraling into a mess that Andre Savard and Gainey started to fix before it all went off the rails with his free agent spree of smurfs, but hopefully MB can continue to repair it.

• Mattyleg says:

I agree.
            Mind you, I don’t blame Gainey for what happened, rather I blame the NHL for not sticking to its guns and keeping the league the way it was after the lockout.

The idea was that the skilled players would be protected from thuggishness by the refs calling penalties as they should be. The NHL gave up on all that, and we were left with a team that works well under the original plan, but not under the relaxed approach to the rules.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

30. frontenac1 says:

@luke. Ah,theres the Rub amigo. Roy is a loose wire. Working great now but when that short circuit happens, it ain’t going to be pretty.

31. Eddie says:

re: Patrick Roy.

The issue with Roy coming to Montreal was in direct conflict with the hiring a new, first time GM in Bergevin, who would not want to “share” the responsibility of making player personnel decisions.

The coach is called to the GM’s office and they discuss the injuries and the affect it’s had on the lineup and the lines. The coach offers some suggestions as to what he believes he needs to win. Therrien likes a player with pure speed. That’s why you see Bournival here and that’s why you see Blunden and Holland getting the call over Leblanc. Leblanc has skills, but he does not have pure speed at their level.

But it’s the GM’s final decision on who will get the call up, whether someone will be grabbed off waivers, or whether there will be a trade.

In Colorado, Roy was given much more authority over player personnel decisions, and he speaks WITH Sakic and they decided TOGETHER.

Roy could easily be a GM in terms of knowing player’s skills and weaknesses, scouting, etc.

Bergevin (and Molson) did not want to give their coach this influence.

32. third generation haber says:

Notice to all NHL coaches!

The habs are now without Parros, Prust, Murray, and Emellin. Feel free to charge our goal crease and take massive runs at all of our players; head shots, hits from behind, elbows, anything goes!

Instead of plugging the gaping holes we have on our fourth line with toughness, we’ve called up Patrick Holland, and Blunden!

We could have called up Akim Aliu or Nick Tarnasky, but our GM seems to be delusional.

As fans we’ve watched Pacioretty and Eller both get maimed, but until Galchenyuk or Subban lay motionless on the ice in a pool of their own blood most of us are likely to remain delusional as well.

j.p. murray

• Cal says:

Aliu is on a tryout contract with the Bulldogs. He can’t be called up.
      In every “fight” Tarnasky had, he was on his ass faster than a slapstick comedian.

• third generation haber says:

I know about Aliu, but how much would it take to sign him. And, he’s got some NHL experience (unlike Holland). I also read that Aliu was a training camp standout for the dogs.

True also about Tarnasky, but since we refuse to claim any muscle off waivers (Finley, Eager, and now Staubitz), I’m desperate. McIven (dman) and Fournier (too young) are the only other tough guys on the dogs.

Honestly, I imagine our team getting bullied if nothing gets done about this.

j.p. murray

• Mattyleg says:

Our big guys aren’t out forever, but if we sign these spare parts, we’ll end up with a clogged system.

We can only have so many players on our roster.
          I don’t see us getting terribly bullied in the next few games until our big guys come back, and this is happening at the right moment; let our youngsters come up and prove themselves rather than fill the bench with tired, second-rate scrappers.

Parros will be back, as will Murray and Emelin.
          We just need to be patient and bide our time.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Ron says:

Matt, I only hope that MB and MT don’t panic and start bringing the injured crew back too soon. I’d rather take some lumps for a few more games than rush them only to see them injured again off the hop.

• Mattyleg says:

I’ll drink to that!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• I thought Blunden was a little bit MOAR bigger? No?

DDonais

• Mattyleg says:

Those coaches (who don’t exist, but whatever) can do whatever they like, as long as they don’t mind sitting in the penalty box while we run up the score.

Bring it on.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• adamkennelly says:

I agree with you J.P – really cannot understand WTF Bergevin is doing – especially after he clearly addressed Habs lack of toughness but now we find ourselves in the same boat we were in and he’s doing nothing about it….going to be a difficult 12 game stretch without Prust and Parros…wait till Tinordi gets his face pounded in.

33. CalgaryHab says:

Here’s to pasting the Oilers tonight. Glad Hall is not in the line up – he’s their most threatening player. It feels that this can be one of those games the Habs only show up for half of it. I’m sure(hope) MT will have them in a mental state of readiness.

34. habs001 says:

This team is terrible on defense and offense…the coach and coordinators have no idea about strategy…they are way over their heads…Now that we got the Vikings comments out of the way lets hope for a Habs win…

I to was Leary of ROY coaching, but I get most of my information from the media, and I should know by now, you can’t believe everything you read!! RIGHT!.

But he is on his way to being coach of the year. That was a fantastic game the Avs played last night. The Pens as well, but they could not beat the total team effort that Saint Patrick has them playing. Sakic and Roy are working very well together so far.

Summit news.

• CalgaryHab says:

He could have been ours. Not sure if he would have the same results with the habs but you can’t deny what he’s done with the Av’s

• Cal says:

Let’s wait until December, shall we?

• JUST ME says:

You are right on Cal but i do not think that hiring Roy was to get immediate or mid term results. They know that they do not have everything it gets to get to the big bowl but right now those victories shows the kids that they are able to win and that they have it in them. I have no doubt that the toughest job is in front of them wich involves learning to lose but what they are going through right now is priceless.

• Ali says:

Backs his players to the hilt, doesn’t criticize them publicly, gives them chances to learn (ie make mistakes without being benched) and demands excellence.

Way too early, but I’ve loved what I’ve seen from him so far as a coach. Too bad people here didn’t think he could do it. The guy is a winner, pure and simple.

If the reason he wasn’t hired in Montreal was due to people here not thinking he could do it, then indeed the Habs organization is in Huge trouble. I really doubt Molson/MB made the decision of head coach based on the thoughts of HI/O.

Having said that, most people here also wanted no part of MT coming back as coach as I recall.

• dano58 says:

Remember Mario Trembley started out like a house of fire when he became our head coach and we all know how that turned out.

GO HABS GO!!!

• JUST ME says:

As much as i had and still have doubts about him beimg able to maintain his composure and deal with his immature temper i had no doubt that Patrick had a very special gift that we discovered a long time ago when he was with the Habs : he is a winner. Very few individuals have that fire in them ,the Rocket did,Lafleur did and a few others but these days power of money took over the will to win .

That being said under no circumstances would it have been a good idea to hire him in Montreal . He needs NHL maturity and i think he knows it. Colorado is the perfect fit for him and his team of management.

36. DipsyDoodler says:

To the many here who laughed, poo-pooed, or made that twirling finger movement next to your ear, when someone (e.g. HFS72) suggested that Patrick Roy should be our coach and/or GM.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t opine, pontificate, or repeat verbatim what you heard Tony Marinaro or some other blowhard opine or pontificate about this morning. Keep doing that.

But please, in the back of your mind, remember you really don’t have a clue.

I will admit I was leery of the idea of Roy coaching the Habs as his first NHL job. I admit he is doing an excellent job so far. I do think the fishbowl that is coaching in Montreal would have been different, and Colorado has done a nice tank job in recent years rewarding that squad with a great deal of young talent.

BUt all that said, Roy is indeed doing a fine job.

• Phil C says:

Didn’t we go through all this with Guy Boucher? Has a great start, everyone thinks he is a star, then his coaching career comes to an abrupt end, arguably due to inexperience at the NHL level. Losing the vets in the room and arguing with your GM usually results in a short career. You are only as good as your worst mistake. Lets see what happens with Roy when he faces his first bit of adversity before we annoint him the second coming of Scotty Bowman.

I don’t think anyone ever questioned Roy’s hockey knowledge, or his compete level, just his inexperience and need to have complete control. Hiring an inexperienced coach is a big risk. It may work out (like it has so far), but it can also fail spectacularly. Even given his great start, the Habs would have been crazy to give him that much control in Montreal, so the Avs can have him.

• JF says:

I’ve had the same parallel in my mind. Guy Boucher’s frst year was great, despite shaky goaltending and poor defence. Everyone was thrilled by his passion and intensity. Same with Roy at the moment. At some point the Avs will hit a skid, and we’ll see what happens then. Will there come a time when the vets tune him out, as happened to Boucher? Also, I foresee problems down the road with the amount of power Roy has in his hands.

As for last night’s game, it was indeed a great team effort, but it reminded me of the Habs’ playoff run under JM. Rope-a-dope hockey, blocking every shot, clearing the net, protecting the goaltender. You aren’t going to win many games like that, being outshot 3-1 and taking seven or eight penalties.

• Mattyleg says:

Roy is doing alright.

The problem with having him here, however, is that he would insist on being part of the management team, and not just coach. I don’t think that’s a good idea, and we’ll see how it plays out in Colorado.

Roy’s ego is too big for a simple coaching job, and he won’t be taking orders from anybody. That’s fine in a place like Colorado, where they are willing to kow-tow to Roy, but that wouldn’t fly here in Montreal.

I don’t believe that Colorado’s success is all because of Roy’s coaching. It’s true that a good coach can get results from players, but there is more to it than that; the rest of the coaching team and the top signings they’ve had recently are certainly not making his job any harder.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Luke says:

Provided you keep that in mind that your also lacking the same clue.

Regarding Roy: I believe his Torts act will wear thin rather quickly.

Regarding Coaching the Habs: How many rookie French language coaches (A MTL requirement) have started here, flamed out and went on to success in the second and third jobs?

I am happy to let Roy flame out in Colorado, and perhaps in 3 or 5 years, and if he relinquishes his need to also be a semi-GM give him a look as a coach.

Enough with breaking in everyone else’s coach…

San Jose picked up Mike Brown from Edmonton for a 4th round pick, I wouldn’t have minded the Habs making that move. Brown hustles on the ice, certainly likes to chuck them, and is a pretty decent skater. Would have done a good job replacing the physical aspect of Prust and even Parros in the short term.

Watched most of the Penguins/Avs game last night. Pittsburgh while controlling most of 1st period (thanks in part to 4 powerplays) just couldn’t seem to get that perfect look on goal. Made many shots but the COlorado defence did a pretty good job of letting Jiggy see them and he made all the first saves. Rebounds were cleared fairly well, but I have to believe if Pittsburgh scores in the first the game changes dramatically. Instead Colorado gets the first goal and hangs on.

Funny how games can go, as I would still think Pittsburgh is a better team, but Colorado is definitely playing with confidence. How much is due to the coach, I have no idea, but he does deserve credit. Given just a couple years ago J.S. Giguere was having trouble finding a gig in the NHL and now he appears like his old self. The Leafs trashed Allaire after he left and now appears to be working his magic with Varlomov and the veteran Jiggy again.

Nice story.

• Luke says:

I like that Malkin and Crosby outshot the Avs by themselves… but did Jiggy STEAL it? I mean, REALLY steal it…

As they say: You win some you should lose, and lose some you should win…

39. frontenac1 says:

Agreed Hobie. Sweet Hands does have good Wheels and he likes to hit.

40. Strummer says:

Vintage Cammalleri last night.
    On one knee,
    off-wing,
    Scores!

____________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

41. Hobie Hansen says:

I’ve always liked Mike Blunden. You notice him when he’s on the ice. He’s got wheels, he’s very quick to jump on opposing players trying to exit their zone. He hits, a lot.

I think the fact that he shy’s away from the fights is what keeps him out of the NHL. He’s as good or slightly better than some of the 4th line players in the league.

If I were his trainer or agent I’d have him taking boxing or UFC lessons all summer long and he’d be a full timer for sure. I think throughout his career the coaching staff has had to choose between him and another players close in skill, but the other players fight, so Blunden gets sent down. Blunden might be a little better than White but the Habs are short on guys who drop the gloves so White edges him out.

• HabFab says:

It ain’t the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog… some guy’s although game, just are not fighters.
      Heard he has been told this by several coaches and believe he actually took some lessons… still has a problem with that wet paper bag :)

• mksness says:

blunden having wheels and being noticed on the ice? have you watched him play, he’s big, slow and borderline 4th line. if he wasn’t 6’4” you would never hear about him.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Sorry mksness, I’ll have to disagree. I’ve seen him play many times in in Montreal and Hamilton. In most games I’ve seen him play he’s buzzing around out there and throwing his weight around. He’s definitely fast, IMO.

I don’t dispute he is indeed a borderline NHL 4th line forward, but he has never looked slow to me. He hustles, tries to hit where he can, and generally is quite responsible defensively on the ice. Yes he is missing intangibles to keep him on the big club full time, but a good fill in for the 4th line.

• Max says:

You are on crank sir.I agree with Hobie.Blunden is very fast and hits hard and often.I believe he was a first round pick some years ago and made the world junior squad? The talent is definitely there.

• Luke says:

Lotsa players play on the World Juniors.

Justin Pogge was a star on that team… Dustin Boyd led that team in goals. Blake Comeau in points. Here’s that team:

Andrew Cogliano (Woodbridge, Ontario; University of Michigan; drafted 25th overall by the Edmonton Oilers in 2005)
          Benoît Pouliot (St. Isidore, Ontario; Sudbury Wolves; drafted 4th overall by the Minnesota Wild in 2005)
          Blake Comeau (Meadow Lake, Saskatchewan; Kelowna Rockets; drafted 47th overall by the New York Islanders in 2004)
          Cam Barker (Winnipeg, Manitoba; Medicine Hat Tigers; drafted 3rd overall by the Chicago Blackhawks in 2004)
          Dan Bertram (Calgary, Alberta; Boston College; drafted 54th overall by the Chicago Blackhawks in 2005)
          David Bolland (Mimico, Ontario; London Knights; drafted 32nd overall by the Chicago Blackhawks in 2004)
          Devan Dubnyk (Calgary, Alberta; Kamloops Blazers; drafted 14th overall by the Edmonton Oilers in 2004)
          Dustin Boyd (Winnipeg, Manitoba; Moose Jaw Warriors; drafted 98th overall by the Calgary Flames in 2004)
          Guillaume Latendresse (Ste. Catherine, Quebec; Drummondville Voltigeurs; drafted 45th overall by the Montreal Canadiens in 2005)
          Jonathan Toews (Winnipeg, Manitoba; University of North Dakota; drafted 3rd overall by the Chicago Blackhawks in 2006)
          Justin Pogge (Penticton, British Columbia; Calgary Hitmen; drafted 90th overall by the Toronto Maple Leafs in 2004)
          Kris Russell (Caroline, Alberta; Medicine Hat Tigers; drafted 67th overall by the Columbus Blue Jackets in 2005)
          Kristopher Letang (Laval, Quebec; Val-d’Or Foreurs; drafted 62nd overall by the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2005)
          Kyle Chipchura (Vimy, Alberta; Prince Albert Raiders; drafted 18th overall by the Montreal Canadiens in 2004)
          Luc Bourdon (Shippagan, New Brunswick; Val-d’Or Foreurs; drafted 10th overall by the Vancouver Canucks in 2005)
          Marc Staal (Thunder Bay, Ontario; Sudbury Wolves; drafted 12th overall by the New York Rangers in 2005)
          Michael Blunden (Gloucester, Ontario; Erie Otters; drafted 43rd overall by the Chicago Blackhawks in 2005)
          Ryan O’Marra (Mississauga, Ontario; Erie Otters; drafted 15th overall by the New York Islanders)
          Ryan Parent (Sioux Lookout, Ontario; Guelph Storm; drafted 18th overall by the Nashville Predators in 2005)
          Sasha Pokulok (Montreal, Quebec; Cornell University; drafted 14th overall by the Washington Capitals in 2005)
          Steve Downie (Queensville, Ontario; Peterborough Petes; drafted 29th overall by the Philadelphia Flyers in 2005)
          Tom Pyatt (Thunder Bay, Ontario; Saginaw Spirit; drafted 107th overall by the New York Rangers in 2005)

• Mattyleg says:

Hmm, I think that 8 points in 95 games is what keeps him out of the NHL.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• JUST ME says:

Blunden is a carreer AHL er. Not that he is not useful. He will never get you in any trouble but will not make the difference either. Tons of those in every team and organization. I`d rather give a chance to a Bournival or a Gallagher type of player for instance that has something special about his game.

42. Lafleurguy says:

Saku’s coming to town! .
    ………………………………………………..GP….G……A…..PTS…………………..
    2013-14 Anaheim Ducks…………..8……2……1……3………………………
    NHL Total……………………………….1067..246..560..806………………… .

43. Danno says:

I watched the Nashville game and we lost badly.

I’ve decided to not watch the game tonight – because whenever I haven’t watched a game this season we win.

You’re welcome.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

44. Habfan10912 says:

I think we hired the wrong coach.

45. Habfan10912 says:

@yakhab I’m sorry you’ve had a bad experience here. I’m not much of a hugger but I’ll join Chuck, and Danno and send out a big hug to you. Hope for better days ahead. Cheers.

46. goalie29 says:

out of curiousity, why is bournival being told to find an apartment instead of having him take part in a mentor type program like Gally?

Wink! – Patrick Roy

47. Danno says:

Long live the Hammer!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

48. Old Bald Bird says:

The day is 10 22 — Lafleur Shutt day. Pause for reflection.

49. Chuck says:

Sounds like yakhab needs a hug…

Always liked Hammer. He was a decent defenseman and a good teammate. I am sure his retirement will treat him well. Aaaah… to retire before you’re 40.

51. ProHabs says:

Is it a bad sign that Louis Leblanc wasn’t the first call up.

52. Adidess says:

I stated after training camp that if Bournival got to stick around long term with the Big Club, I would use the powers vested on me (which I don’t really need to get into) to nominate and officially select HabsTrinifan as the HIO Amateur Scout of the year.

With today’s announcement that Bournival has been authorized to get an apartment in Montreal for the season, I think the time has come for me to formally act on that public commitment.

As recently as a year ago, other HIO scouts (I mean no disrespect) would have none of it when Trini, like Moses in the desert, was expressing his optimism (sometimes giddiness) about Bournival possibly making a name for himself in Montreal sooner rather than later. I distinctly remember some other respected HIO scouts (using the term liberally and loosely) replying that Bournival was a long shot and probably years away. Well, Trini has been vindicated, at least for now.

Congratulations Trini, you are the HIO Amateur Scout of the Year! (Whatever that means).

With that title secured, now go get Bergevin a call. Tell him I sent you!

53. Sportfan says:

Remember Angelo Esposito ? He’s playing in Milan now.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

54. nickster13 says:

The Tootoo train is apparently available. Would you pick him up if you were Bergevin?

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the Rocket!”

55. ATTENTION SUMMIT MEMBERS

Last chance for name tags if you haven’t put your name in send me an email through my web site.

Going to be one special weekend.

I’ve got an autograph package for the auction that will send someone home happy.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

56. yakhab says:

Mike, Bill, UCE, Mattyleg, Burly ….would be a start
    Timo is entertaining, & is excluded from this …

• Lafleurguy says:

Appears to be a random list with the common bond of being very well-known posters, but they have five distinct styles. If you’re wanting to name more antagonistic types, you’ll have to come up with a different list. Just don’t let Matty catch you calling anyone besides Cristobal Huet and Phillipe Durocher French. UCe is very erudite and is skilful in debating the contrarian side but never trashes another poster. He gets picked on for being too intelligent which is a fact of life for intelligent people. Bill is candid. Burly is altogether gregarious and avails people of current news he enjoys. Dun is similar to Burly in an ectopic sense. Peace/Out.

“May you live in interesting times.”

57. Bun E. Laroque says:

First time I’ve ever heard someone tell the Habs throng of reporters that their favourite player growing up was Jerry Seinfeld. I have high hopes for this guy. Shame to lose Prust but maybe a shakeup couldn’t hurt otherwise.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Bun E, Mattyleg suggested earlier that the recovery time for Prust’s new shoulder injury on one side will afford the original shoulder injury on the other side a better chance to heal properly. This is to assume, of course, that the new injury is not as serious as, or worse than, the old one.

It’s a grim, harsh logic, but perhaps there’s something in it?

And about the shakeup, the cliché about how in every crisis there is opportunity seems apt.

• Bun E. Laroque says:

Thats some logical thinking from M. Leg, Dunboyne. Lets hope he is correct. We need a healthy Prust to go anywhere this year. The opportunity is there for Holland to prove he can be an NHL caliber player. And Blunden? At least he s got some size.

• Lafleurguy says:

A pessimist would observe that recovering from two injuries is not better than one.

“May you live in interesting times.”

58. jols101 says:

G.S. Giguere, brilliant tonight. Avs beat Pens 1-0. Avs are 8-1.

Always liked Giguere.
      And of course we can expect him to play lights-out when he visits Montreal…. Bad feeling about the Avs game, Jols.

• jols101 says:

Ha! Nicely done. Getting a large head start. I like it.

Mike, I have a terrible feeling about the Ducks and Sharks next week. Even the Oilers are making me nervous with all of our injuries.

We should have a great week cause I’m not feeling it. I hope you are with me.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Jols, it sure is going to be easy to stick to the programme this week!

• Timo says:

Yeah, your program is very complicated – drink, drink and drink some more. Hope you can get it right.

• JF says:

We really have to beat the Oilers because I can’t see us getting any points against the Ducks or Sharks. On the other hand, given the Habs’ habit of playing down to the opposition, we could very well stink out the joint against Edmonton, then beat both the others.

• rljmartin says:

Colorado, pretty simple hockey. Team defense, good positional play in the defensive zone, no running around and above all… no panic. They are playing the kind of hockey that wins playoffs

• PrimeTime says:

Shots were 34-14 and Pit dominated the play. If not for JS Aves lose big. Not exactly playoff hockey….more like Jacques Martin hockey protecting a 1 goal lead sending in 1 forechecker and clogging the neutral zone relying on a hot goalie. Not exactly textbook. But it was a good hard fought game.

59. yakhab says:

According to Ian Cobb’s update …..
    There are 200 posters making an appearance at THE SUMMIT !
    I do not count day to day 200 posters .
    That means there are many posters hiding in the shadows.
    Can the LEGENDS of this site not take a DAY OFF !
    To allow those that lurk in the shadows ….
    TO EXPRESS THEMSELVES !
    Just because you write text books, & technical manuals
    DOES NOT MEAN that you have a better insight on the habs !

• Mattyleg says:

Ahhhh!!
      That’s what you’ve been getting at!

I can only speak for myself when I say ‘no, I won’t take a day off, and if I do, it won’t be because you asked me to.’

Ian Cobb didn’t say that there were 200 posters coming to the summit, he said over 200 people are coming. My girlfriend is coming, but she’s not a poster, for instance.

This site is big enough for everyone, yak.
      Don’t be shy.
      If you have insights, please feel free to EXPRESS YOURSELF on here.
      Don’t let us textbook-writers get in your way.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Dunboyne Mike says:

(change my mind. Cheers, Matty. Suspect all not quite right here. I’m out.)

Good night Matty, good night yakhab.

• Phil C says:

You need to explain why a regular poster would deter anyone else from posting? I honestly don’t follow your logic. I always find it’s the opposite, that the most enjoyable threads have the most participation. Is someone stealing your lines or your jokes? Are you afraid that you’ll disagree with a “regular” poster? Why the flak Yak?

• Ferguson-22 says:

I’m in infrequent poster. Looking forward to seeing everyone at THE SUMMIT!

60. port elgin says:

So Holland always wanted to be Jerry Seinfield?

that’s good cause his linemates will be Kramer and George

61. frontenac1 says:

Hey amigos! I’m getting the Sharks/Wings game on a Free Feed on Bell Expresvu ch.1451.

62. frontenac1 says:

@mike. Nada amigo. When it comes to blown calls, The League and the Corporate Media invoke “Omerta”

63. jols101 says:

I bet Crosby played close to half of the 1st period. The guy was always on the ice. 0-0 after the 1st.

64. durocher says:

I’m happy for Bournival — he creates chances on the ice, is fast, and has great positioning.

I agree with Stubbs that MB should claim Staubitz off of waivers — he is a tough team player who knows his role. We can just waive him again once we have some depth back. Blunden did not impress during the off-season and is well-suited for the AHL.

• John Q Public says:

Brad, is one tough mofo.

don’t need em…

• John Q Public says:

A few more injuries and it will be Déjà vu.

• oldtimerguy says:

deja vu? as in the season we did so poorly we got the right to draft galchenyuk? I can handle another season of suckitude….I’d be jumping for joy if we got a sam reinhart or a connor mcdavid or any other top 5 in the next yr or 2….

• John Q Public says:

Yeah that was a great year.

• oldtimerguy says:

you unhappy having galchenyuk?

Hmmm.
            Another angle for the same question could be, Are you happy to watch a lot of losing hockey one year so that a few years later it will be much better?

Why not hope for a tank and stop watching altogether until an assembly of top draft picks has matured and gelled, then start watching again?

And lastly, define “fan”.

• John Q Public says:

Not at all but having to lose just for chance at a prospect is ludicrous.
            I want STANLEY now. Not another 5 year freakin plan.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Never mind Stanley! I just want to contend every night, make the playoffs, give it a shot every year. The truest cliché in hockey is the one that says anything can happen in the playoffs.

• John Q Public says:

Stanley cup or bust.
            Thats what my cursed Youppi doll is saying quietly in my ear.
            Now he’s giving me the evil eye.
            No No don’t …………………………………………………………..

• oldtimerguy says:

a fan in my eyes is someone who wants to win the cup, or has a legitimate chance to win it every year…im not a fan to simply watch regular season games or 1 round of playoffs…

• piper says:

I agree having Staubitz wont hurt. Who knows when Parros will be back and how long he’ll last. Same with Prust’s shoulder. I know he can’t replace everything that Prust brings to the game but no one else is available that can.

• dr. gesundheit says:

Agree…Don’t recall Staubitz’s presence ever hurting the team in his limited role. (during that especially ugly season)

He actually did his job and (dare I say) met expectations.

65. oldtimerguy says:

A simple question;

In what time frame will the Habs win another cup?

A) This year
    B)2 yrs
    C)3 yrs
    D)4yrs +

NB- if you answer a or b, you are delusional, and if you answer c or d, then the question becomes, will we win it with the vets we now have or do we trade them off and look for other vets in a year or 2?

Good question.
      Can I wimp out a bit and suggest we will contend seriously in 3 yrs, with the potential to go all the way depending on a myriad of factors, health primary among them. The vets aspect of your teaser is interesting — probably a mix of long-time Habs and imports.
      Cheers

(PS I’m a fan so I also reserve the right to retain delusional opinions!)

funny!

we all have the right to be delusional, eh OMIT? (that’s timo by the way)….

my point about the vets is obvious…I say we won’t win the cup with these vets by the time the other younger guys on this team are ready to contend…therefore, trade these guys now, BEFORE they are worthless…between gio, pleks markov, moen, briere, bouillon and murray, we save 24-25 million bucks. Meantime, that money can be used to pay the growing younger core who will become the new vets, we promote from within, we draft higher (as a result of finishing lower) for a yr or 2 because of the departure of the current vets, and with the extra cap space we sign other vets key vets in 2-3 yrs to complement the core we have developing…the vets we sign in 2-3 yrs will be at that point be say 29,30,31 yr old guys…whereas our current vets in 2-3 yrs will be 35 and up….

maybe im wrong, but I like my plan. I think this plan makes us much stronger team in 2-3 yrs as opposed to sticking with the team we have now….

• Dunboyne Mike says:

That all makes really good sense, but a question nagging at the back of my mind is something along the lines of, How much is a hockey team like or unlike a car-engine? Just keep replacing old parts with new ones til she’s running smoothly?

I wonder is there a personal dynamic within a team that can be negatively affected by the replacement of parts? For sure, offload anyone who has become a mere decoration. But if we applied your plan to our 2010 run, for example, would you have tossed Hal Gill? Or Ray Bourque prior to the Avs 2001 path to the Cup?

• JF says:

You raise a good point about team dynamic.

There is also the fact that you need vets to win games. Look at the Oilers – loads of young talent but few vets or the wrong ones, poor goaltending, no balance. If we trade our vets for picks and prospects, we’ll have a young, inexperienced team that does not know how to win and may not learn. Winning strengthens a team and builds confidence.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Although I think otg was not actually proposing a vet-less team, but rather replacing our current vets with fresh ones.

Ultimately it must be case-by-case.

• oldtimerguy says:

Gill no, Bourque no…gill was not paid a ton and was a value to the team in a specific way…bourque was just still great, period.

You can talk about car replacements, im talking logic and business. I contend that we are NOT winning anytime soon with the vets we have. Do I want to tank? i’d call it something else…id like to see us slip, badly, for a year or 2…enough to go and grab some serious talent to mix in with sooby, pacc, galch, gally, eller, etc…AND then SIGN some vets to go with the core above and the prosepcts we promote in the next 2 yrs…

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I wasn’t clear, apologies. What I meant was that your strategy — with its logic and business — exactly resembles replacing parts in a car (even if some of the replacements are reconditioned and not new!) and therefore treats players like mechanical parts rather than taking account of the fact that — professionals or no — they are people.

I quite like your idea but believe this is a drawback to it.

I also prefer to cheer my team on to win — now, every game — rather than to lose, or “slip”, or tank. Why I’m a fan and not a GM. (Well, one of many reasons!)

• oldtimerguy says:

I get that and it does have merit…you always want to keep the current players and the room motivated and positive about the future…but I think the downturn will be temporary and if explained properly to the guys, I think they will understand and step up to become the new leaders…

• oldtimerguy says:

exactly dunboyne..im not suggesting a vet free team…I am absolutely in favour of replacing our current vets with other vets who at that point in time, will be younger vets than if we kept our current vets..

lol…clear as mud?

• Donkey Hoat says:

Yes, but how’s that plan working out for Edmonton so far?
          Kids need to learn, vets need to show them how it’s done; kids have the energy, vets have the experience; kids have the…you get the point.
          Like someone here once pointed out, you probably couldn’t win with 23 Crosbys on your team, either.

• oldtimerguy says:

You cannot compare…the teams, rosters, situations, size balance, ages, the different markets, are all different…its just not apples to apples…despite that, regardless of what i’d prescribe for us, I think Edmonton is about to turn the corner…

• John Q Public says:

Never, if the refs(league) have something to say about it.
      And they do.

There’s always that.
        *sigh*

And on that topic, was there anything further on Eller’s disallowed goal? Is there an explanation that adheres to NHL rules as we know them? Isn’t it great for us that disputed goals — and even ones that aren’t, like Eller’s — go to the city of Toronto for OBJECTIVE arbitration?

• John Q Public says:

They make it up as it goes.
          Citing specific rules is for lawyers.
          Ow wait what’s Bettman.
          Case closed.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

We will just have to be twice as good as we need to be: good enough to beat 29 other teams, good enough to beat the officials (ie. Bettman’s minions).

The Canadian Women’s team did it in Salt Lake.

• piper says:

That could be the point that keeps the Habs out of the playoffs. That’s going to hurt.

• Mike D says:

Hi oldtimerguy.
      I’ve been off and on HIO for most of the day, and every single post of yours (that I’ve read) keeps harping on the same philosophy of trading the vets now while they have value since they won’t be around for our cup window anyway.

There’s logic in that train of thought. Personally I would keep some of the vets you want to trade, but again, I understand where you’re coming from and think your idea has merit.

What I don’t understand is why you keep trying to beat the idea into everyone’s head? We get it man – we heard ya!

Please don’t be offended as that was not the intention of my post, but just wanted to let you know.

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• JUST ME says:

Since you already decided what not to answer(weird formula by the way) ,i say that any choice taken involves new veterans and major changes ,new road to explore. As much as i am an unconditional fan i realize that we did not get to the ultimate point with that group so what we took for granted must be reconsidered.

Now that we have a new core made from promissing youngsters decisions that used to be unthinkable are now possible.

• oldtimerguy says:

good of you to reply rationally, with some thought….its appreciated…..after all, this IS a blog for fans to discuss all angles and possibilities for this team, no?

66. Mr. Biter says:

I know vey little about Holland. Any advise about him?

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

67. Eddie says:

Hahaha!

This laugh was meant for Habfab below. Those were classic Seinfelds!

68. port elgin says:

Time for M.B to do something to impress the masses.

Like trading DD for Yakapov or something

• John Q Public says:

Oh how I wish I was a fish to swim in the deep blue sea. I would swim up and down … Oh how I wish to be a fish and one day soon I’ll be!

• HabFab says:

Yeah, the masses can be stupid at time. And your trade would be in the miracle department.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Did you mean masses or missus?

• HabFab says:

Responded to you in the previous thread but it didn’t make it past the filter.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Great. Now I feel I have to be Kevin Costner in Dances With Wolves, throwing stones to drive away the wolf, his friend, for its own good….

• HabFab says:

The filter is automatic, picking on links, words, etc. It’s not about you specifically and we all get hit with it as some time or another.

Cheers HF.
            That’s what I always thought, but there was NOTHING suspect, no unusual vocabulary, and nothing offensive (although a bit hostile, yes).
            Just can’t see what an automated Big Brother would have seized on!

• Ron says:

Mike, did you ever think that maybe and I say maybe one of the mods is just effing with you for your wonderful reaction.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

(I did think it, then dismissed the thought on the grounds that it was a bit self-flattering!)

What strikes me as (at least logically) more likely was that someone didn’t want me to hit a particular poster.

(Even though others were! Waaaaaaah!)

69. port elgin says:

So the bulldogs are crap this year, so we call up some of their players, and we are expecting what to happen?

wins?

yeah right

• JUST ME says:

Ah yes ! At least what is good for the big team is good for the farm team . A crappy team after 4 games played ! Typical !

They have the same situation to deal with as any team wich are injuries and recalls from the head team. What if Beaulieu and Tinordi are sent back down doesn`t it change the whole picture ? I thought so.

The farm team goes through the same rebuilding process as the Habs are.

70. Steven says:

In regards to the McLeod suspension, I don’t get the “no prior history” rule. It’s honestly ridiculous. If I go out and steal a car or assault someone, will I get my sentence lessened because I have “no prior history?” I should hope not.

• piper says:

The Grabner hit on Gerbe looked a lot worse than the Patch hit on Letang yet he only gets 2. I don’t get it.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I think you will get a lesser sentence for stealing a car if you have no prior convictions? ;-).

• Ron says:

Actually if you were to go out and steal a car and you have had no prior record, you in most likely hood would get a lighter sentence than a person who has a prior history of car theft or record of any sort. The law works that way.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

It was total head-hunting.

5 games is a pathetic slap on the wrist for something that dangerous.

• gumper says:

That’s how Chara got off for the MaxPac assault. Hard to get a record if you don’t already have one, I guess. Maybe they called his mother for a character reference.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
      Mark Twain

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I wonder was it all or nothing in Chara’s case? They clearly wanted to clear him (“hockey play”) and must have realised that no compromise was possible. To concede any kind of culpability at all would have been to concede guilt for what looked like a near-lethal act. Then only a highly significant suspension and other sanctions could possibly have sufficed. Some day someone on the inside will tell that story in their memoirs.

(Sorry if you’re reading tonight, Habs ’84!)

71. piper says:

Hamrlik was great while he was here. A lot of posters on here didn’t like him but when Markov went down, which was often, Hammer picked up his game and was great at both ends of the ice.
    Does anybody know what he did or said to Theo Fleury to piss him off so much?

• JUST ME says:

Habs fans do not like or do not know what is the job of a stay at home defenseman. They tend to say he is useless but do not realize that for every P.K. attacking, one must stay back there to defend our net.

72. Eddie says:

FIRST to wish everyone a pleasant evening!