Holland becomes a Hab on same day Hamrlik retires

Patrick Holland grew up wanting be Jerry Seinfeld. He’ll have to settle for being a Hab.

Holland (photo above) was called up from the Hamilton Bulldogs on Monday along with fellow forward Mike Blunden and defenceman Nathan Beaulieu. Beaulieu, who has has been up and down like a yo-yo this season between the NHL and AHL, had been quietly sent to Hamilton on the weekend before being recalled yet again.

“When I was growing up, I wanted to be Jerry Seinfeld,” Holland told reporters in Brossard following Monday’s practice as the Canadiens prepare to face the Edmonton Oilers Tuesday at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

The moves came on the same day the team announced that forward Brandon Prust will be sidelined for four weeks with a right shoulder injury and that Daniel Briere will be out indefinitely with a concussion suffered in Saturday’s loss to Nashville.

“I was a bit surprised,” Holland said about being called up. “I knew they lost a few players and you’re hoping you get the chance. Sly (Bulldogs head coach Sylvain Lefebvre) called me after the game and I thought that was good news, and then (general manager Marc Bergevin) told me they were calling me up.”

The Canadiens also told rookie Michael Bournival to find an apartment in Montreal, meaning he’s in Montreal for the long run.

Blunden has played in 95 NHL games, including 44 for the Canadiens over the past two seasons. Beaulieu has played two games with the Canadiens this season.

Meanwhile, former Canadiens defenceman Roman Hamrlik announced his retirement on Monday after playing in 1,395 NHL games during his 20-year career.

“I had four special seasons here, four incredible years,” Hamrlik told The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs about his time in Montreal. “I already miss competing against the best players, going to the rink, having fun with the guys, travelling.

“But I know I’m doing the right thing retiring. It was a great honour to play in the world’s best league for as long as I did.

“And this whole city lives hockey. The energy that’s in the Bell Centre? I wish every player had the chance to play here. It’s a truly special place.”

(Photo by Dario Ayala/The Gazette)

Habs call up Holland, Blunden from Hamilton, by Pat Hickey

Hamrlik hangs up skates after 20 seasons, by Dave Stubbs

Locked and loaded, Canadiens.com

Prust out for four weeks, montrealgazette.com

Crosby and MacKinnon trick shots (video), NHL.com

1. Luke says:

@Timo.
    #22 is available. (unless they are planning to honour Bill Lindsay at some point).

So, yah. Do it. Trade for TooToo.
    Even today’s date works! What more do you need MB?
    Think of the synergy!

#22 Tootoo on (Oct) 22!

• db says:

Or Steve Begin….. and how can we ignore Brunet? C’est pas evident!

But, we can’t help an Eastern conference for that’s looking to shed salary… and most likely a contract. Do we want to give up a draft pick for Tootoo?

2. Gerry H says:

Based on Bournival’s play so far – and Brière’s lack thereof – I’m not too worried about the team tonight, especially given the Oilers’ even more dreadful injury situation. Anaheim and San Jose are a little more disconcerting in the absence of big and/or gritty players like Pacioretty and Prust. If the Habs come out of this week with 3 of 6 points, we should be pleased.

Beyond that, I don’t see any need for panic. All of these injuries early on just mean some accelerated development opportunities, which Bergevin is wisely spreading around, giving lots of prospects a chance to show their stuff and learn the tricks of the trade. So long as they can continue to stay in the hunt in the meantime, the bigger, grittier Montreal Canadiens should be fully deployed and in a decent position come Christmas time.

3. boing007 says:

EGGBeater, EGGNog, EGGCentric. EggZactly.

Richard R

4. db says:

If the Habs bought into tanking 3-4 years in a row then revenue would go down drastically. Then what would teams like Colorado do without our revenue sharing? :p

5. Luke says:

@ Max… sorry my reply was snipped by the newer/older comments flip over. So here is regarding toughness and averages and whatnot:

Tootoo is short and he’s tough. Heck, Gionta is as tough as they come. So is Gallagher and they are super super short.

Oh wait, how are you defining toughness? we might be arguing different things here…

I define it as “paying the price” and being fearless. Taking hits to make plays etc… to me, size has little impact on toughness as it is more force of will as opposed to being tall and heavy. Plenty of big soft guys (B Pouliot) will bump the average height up, while Gallagher and tootoo would bump it down. But they are way tougher then 6’3 210lb B Pouliot.

6. JM says:

I have a feeling the Habs will do alright tonight. Good chance to see how the young guys play in the real world!!