Hockeyville game brings NHL back to roots

From NY Times.com

The NHL’s annual Hockeyville game goes tonight, in which a small
Canadian town hosts a big league preseason game and gets rewarded by the
sponsor Kraft with $100,000 to improve its tiny barn and hockey
programs. The N.H.L. supplies the teams, the NHL Players’ Association
donates equipment to the town’s youth hockey program and both
contribute to local charities.

It’s a great annual event and in the sometimes cold world of pro
sports, shows a side of the NHL that keeps the league in touch with
its roots.

This year’s game is in Dundas,
Ontario
, a charming valley hamlet at the western tip of Lake
Ontario just northwest of Hamilton, where the Senators will play the
Sabres.

Dundas is technically part of the City of Hamilton, but the 24,700
residents think of themselves as an independent entity. The J.L.
Grightmire Arena, where the game will be played turns 60 in December and had been threatened with closure. It’s now
spiffed up for the occasion and residents are moving forward to make
improvements and keep the rink standing.

Dundas clearly loves this arena
and on
this blog
, hundreds of people have shared their memories through the
decades of skating there.

Continue reading “The Morning Skate: Hockeyville Game Brings N.H.L.
Back to its Roots” >>

1. Puck Bard says:

Ok Bugs, I’m calling ya… You’re a douchebag. Think you’re the only one with an education in the Rabbit? Get bent. You’re sophomore and a yawn.

He-he… not that anyone will read this. We’re blog history my friend. See you on the flip-flop, Bugs.

2. Bugs says:

Or watched any Junior Championships or any 2010 NHL playoffs; nor any Sportsdesk, or any newspaper in the last 6 months.

Them, and the Papua New Guinea folk, I gotcha.

Sorry.

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant Head Honcho to what goes down in Chinatown, Big Cheese at Flannelcorp Media, and Lead Copy-boy at Habsbros Hard Data Factory: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

3. pic1983 says:

Kind of hard for a game to be exciting when the senators dressed 0 star power, there was maybe 3000 people in the arena (which might even be exaggerating), and the ice was melting throughout the game.

4. derfab says:

Ok, I guess the counterculture crowd has finally gone to bed. Coffee drinkers awake!

First idle thoughts:

Anything on how players are responding to having been cut?

Anyone else not so impressed with Eller yet? No way he takes a top six spot yet.

As a matter of fact, I’d hate to see Pacs or White cut to save him a spot.

They look ready.

5. SmartDog says:

Yaaaawwwwwnnnnnn.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

6. G-Man says:

Starry-eyed Oiler fever!

Please don’t mistake this blog for an article. All or at least most blogs are opinion and this 1 qualifies by ruling out reality. Besides, we all know what folks say about opinion, don’t we?

You slay me. 😀

8. Puck Bard says:

No Bugs, just the guy who doesn’t stay glued to a computer all day. But you keep keepin’ it real, K Scoop?

9. ooder says:

it’s photoshopped…

the original actually has good canadian boys like Mike Richards and Matt Cooke kissing a baby.

——————

88 is the new 23

10. christophor says:

pfft. lies.

11. Lazarus_taxa says:

I disagree…..That article is an insult to people who do drugs….

12. SeriousFan09 says:

Russians can be good guys too.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

13. SeriousFan09 says:

Not necessarily living under one, but I think a few rocks caught him in the head in the last 15 years or so.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

14. andrewberkshire says:

I like how he thinks the Habs still play in the Forum. Has this guy been living under a rock since the mid-1990s?

15. SeriousFan09 says:

That article is so… a word has yet to describe how ****ed that crap is. I hate to accuse people I’ve never met of having severe substance abuse problems to go with their schitzophrenia but I’ll make an exception for this guy.

His highlight-reel mistake would be the indication that Cam Fowler is an Edmonton Oiler.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.