Hockey Night in Boston on Sunday

The Canadiens headed to Boston following Saturday night’s wild 7-6 overtime loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins at the Bell Centre and will take on the Bruins Sunday night (7:30 p.m., RDS, TSN-HABS, TSN 690 Radio).

Peter Budaj will start in goal instead of Carey Price, which will be the only lineup change for the Canadiens. Price let in seven goals on 36 shots against the Penguins for a .806 save percentage.

The Bruins (14-2-2) are off to their best start since the 1929-30 season.

The OT loss to the Penguins marked the 10th straight game the Canadiens picked up at least a point, the longest streak for the Habs since an 11-game point streak from Feb. 23 to March 19, 1994. Max Pacioretty, who had a goal and an assist against the Penguins, now has 12 points in his last eight games and seven goals in his last seven games.

“Crazy game, eh,” Canadiens coach Michel Therrien told reporters after the game. “It’s definitely exciting for the fans – but that’s one of the reasons we start seeing coaches with grey hair. I had so many feelings tonight, you don’t even know. Same as you guys, probably.

“There were times when it was like, ‘Ok, we’re back in the game’ then 10 minutes after, it was like, ‘Oh no, what are we doing?’ There’s not much to say about tonight’s game besides that it was exciting for the fans.”

To get ready for the Bruins game you can listen to a 12-hour hockey radiothon beginning at noon Sunday, put on by the Websports Media Network in collaboration with HIO. The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs and TSN 690 Radio’s Ted Bird will help kick things off for the fundraiser for the West Island Community Shares charity.

To listen, go to montrealhockeytalk.com.

Canadiens-Bruins Preview

Penguins take Habs 7-6 in OT, by Pat Hickey

Good for Crosby but not for goalies, by Pat Hickey

Sutter’s overtime goal caps victory for Penguins, by Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Armstrong, Therrien together again, by Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Bruins beat Lightning in OT, by Boston Globe

Seguin, Peverley hitting stride for Bruins, by bostonbruins.com

There are some big Bruins fans in Montreal, by Stu Cowan

Habs-Bruins rivalry revived amidst great starts, by Sportsnet

First Line Exclusive with Marc Bergevin, by canadiens.com

(Photo by Joel Auerbach/Getty Images)

1. otter649 says:

According to NBC tonight’s Habs/Bruins Game is the the first sunday night game in Boston since October 1985……

2. frontenac1 says:

A little something to get in the mood for tonight amigos.Enjoy!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxRLQd6HG-A

• knob says:

Great fight! Ryan White is one of my favorite players…no nonsense type of guy.

• Shakewheat says:

Good fight, but have to be the worst one sided announcers I have ever heard. Wow Boychuck does nothing in the fight and they keep saying his name… Brutal

I would love to see Prust take down Lucic!

3. The Cat says:

This is a good move to start Budaj. I think he will win because for the first time since he’s in a habs uniform, he can win 100% respect.

• Trisomy 21 says:

I agree, I think Budaj just hasn’t had any of his coaches believe in him here. I might be wrong, but I think he could have been a good goalie for Col but with no goalie coach it’s not very easy to correct your game and get out of a rut.

4. Psycho29 says:

I can`t believe how many Trade Price Trolls come out from under the bridge after a loss (AND THE HABS STILL GOT A POINT out of that mess last night)…

Anyhow, worry not, you will all be coming in off the ledge tonight around 10:10 tonight……Habs 4, Bruins 2.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

You know what they say…”troll, troll, troll your boat…”

• Trisomy 21 says:

Happens all over, not just here. They think their team is fantastic and when they lose the easiest thing to say is well if our goalie got a shutout we would have won. People thought all the Oilers needed was a good goalie, look where they are with Dubnyk, who I think is a good goalie. There are really only a few goalies in the league who would be an upgrade to Price, and their players those teams want in return would set the Habs back. Now I’m not saying the Habs are a bad team, I just don’t think Price is the piece that needs to be changed to be a contender.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Ever notice whoever criticizes Price NEVER offers an alternative? I wonder why…oh yeah..there is none!

• boing007 says:

Which bridge? Victoria? Champlain? Jacques Cartier?

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

5. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Overheard at practice:
    MT: “We needs to fine sholushion…Boodai you in da net toonites.”
    Budaj: “Okilly-dokilly!”

6. SteverenO says:

Just watched last nights game on the PVR;

Kaberle played very well., He is not he same guy who played for us last season. After being instrumental in the HABs first two goals and a plus 3 after two periods- I don`t understand why he was benched in the third.Played only two shifts in the third period, one on the pp and one even strength.

Georges may have had his worst game in a HABS uniform- Minus three, no ton the ice for any of the HAB goals. and seemed to be constantly giving the puck away.

Markov and Emelin playing over 9 minutes each in the third?

As good as teh teamis doing this year I can,t help but feel that we would be better if Markov ice time was reduced.

Our best penalty killer with Diaz out of the line up is SUbban, by far.

In the first period we were short handed and teh first wave defense was Georges and Builiion followed by Markov and Emelin, The Pens get a PP goal.

Why wont MT use PK on the PK? IT makes no sense?

regards,

Steve O.

7. Mattyleg says:

Just had a craaaaaazy idea!

I think I know why MT is playing Budaj.

The Habs had a terrible game defensively last night, lots of turnovers, lots of ‘cafouillage’ as they say on RDS, and some lax coverage in their own zone.

Therrien knows that the boys HAVE to play better defensively when Budaj’s in nets, to give them the best opportunity to win.

- Put Price in nets, and we could end up running and gunning and hoping CP keeps the barn-door shut.
    - Put Budaj in nets, and the entire team needs to close down that zone tighter than 320 Sussex Drive.

Genius?

We’ll see after the game.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Habfan10912 says:

You could be on to something Marty. My guess? Price might have been mentally fatigued last night and MT had to change his original plan of playing Price both games.

———————————–

• ed says:

just had a better idea. put price in net. believe in the team that they can rise to the challenge without playing stupid mind games, and then go into Boston and win the game.

Budaj is not good enough to win in Boston.

very, very few goalies could win tonight.

Price is one of those special goalies.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Worked for the Pens last night…

8. C-Sword says:

Was Price bad last night? Yes, he was. I wouldn’t put all the blame on him though, the D was terrible as well. The Pens were forechecking like crazy and we couldn’t win the puck battles behind our net. Markov and Emelin are just awful when playing together, they need to be separated!

Budaj will get us the win tonight, God will watch over him like he does over Flanders :)

9. otter649 says:

Detroit up 1-0 on Chicago in the third period could this be The Hawks first loss in regulation time – Have to wait and see……

10. NL Hab says:

Haha. It is so funny reading the comments in here from day to day. The day after a win we are the best team in the world and the Cup is ours. After a loss we need to trade Price, Gionta, fire Therrien. It is hilarious. A lot of the people on here remind me of the old mob mentality from the Simpsons. Lots of hockey left to play people. Inhale, exhale, deep breaths. If the Habs get beaten by the Bruins tonight, which they probably will, then lets trade everyone, and rebuild again. Because this 2 month rebuild is not working out very good. We are only tied for 1st in the East after a last place finish last year. Brutal.

Et Le But

11. otter649 says:

Budaj has only played one game in Boston as a NHLer & that was a 2-0 shutout win in 2007…..

12. Habilis says:

Maybe I’m crazy but I have a good feeling about tonight’s game. As has been mentioned, the Habs have no business winning this. Diaz and Bourque out, played in a crazy OT game last night, Budaj starting.

Underdog city, but I feel like they will rise to the challenge.

13. ed says:

if Budaj is good enough to go into Boston and beat the Bruins tonight, he should not be a back up goalie.
    it’s just not going to happen – sorry to say.
    and this is not a Boone reverse jinx.

thankfully, I have other plans tonight.

when Boston is THE TEAM you need to beat to win the division and finish the season guaranteed of home ice advantage in the playoffs, you circle this as a “Price – must win” game on calendar and throw away the pen.

this is completely, utterly ridiculous that Budaj is starting.

I am extremely disappointed.

• billylove says:

The Habs are good enough with Budaj to win in Boston. Hold off on that disappointment for a while.

• Habfan10912 says:

Ed, I would have preferred Price tonight as well but after last night MT must feel a night off is more important for whatever reason. Tired? Nagging injury? I hope the team rallies around Budaj.

———————————–

• knob says:

If Montreal returns to recent form and keeps Boston to sub 25 shots then I think Budaj can give the boys a chance to win.

• ed says:

I think we will play better. i think we will hold them right around 25 shots. And then we will lose the game because the wrong goalie is backstopping us.

Play Budaj against the Panthers.

Play Budaj against the Islanders.

This is like going into battle with a machine gun against a tank.

14. knob says:

Carey Price, for a lack a better words, sucked last night! He fought the puck on every shot but I could care less because there is no other goalie in the league that I would prefer to have between the posts!

DD is far from one of my favorite players but he is playing some great hockey right now as are Gallagher and Max Pac. Eller and Galchenyuk need to raise their game a bit…Galchenyuk might need a night in the press box. Unreal: I’m watching the wings-blackhawks game and Keith Jones just compared Gallagher to that weasel Marchand…what a goof! Gallagher is a great hockey player who plays the game right where Marchand…is dirty, a good player, but a piece of crap.

15. Bripro says:

My two cents worth.
    Every goalie has a bad game, or even a bad stretch.
    Who doesn’t remember the Patrick Roy game from hell, which forced Mr-Coach-of-the-decade Mario Tremblay and President-of-the-decade Ronald Corey to trade our St Patrick?
    Remember the end result? That “lousy” Roy went on to win a cup….for another team.
    C’mon people, the Habs haven’t put together a stretch like this in 10 years. That should say something.
    And the fact that Max, Gio and others weren’t happy with collecting a point throws me back to the glory years of the 70s, when the team hated to lose.
    That’s a good sign. That means there’s soul-searching going on, and the willingness to adjust.
    And to my friend Burly, who’s opinion I always value with the utmost respect….. trade Gorges? Really Gerry?
    Who’s the impostor who stole your signature?
    Let’s see what they bring to the game tonight, then we can all push the panic button on a disastrous season!

16. habbernack says:

I’d like to see Ryder with DD as Ryder is a syniper and DD would get him the puck and Gally with Eller and Chucky

17. billylove says:

I don’t think starting Budaj is a problem. I also don’t think people should read too much into the decision such as MT is sending Price a “message.” MT knows that Price is the main man. Still think we have an excellent chance for a w. If anything, the change may be more a matter of MT sending a message to the whole team, “we’re starting our backup so you need to have your shit together in front of him.”

18. Vid says:

Wonder what the criteria was for including Chara breaking Pax’s neck as a “top” moment. Is it “top” because Chara received no punishment?

Also interesting that four of the moments are fights/brawls. From what I recall Price-Thomas wasn’t really much of a fight as Carey wasn’t interested in fighting and Thomas was the one to skate across the ice to instigate it for no good reason really.

19. LeGrosBill says:

I would rather trade for Mark Streit than JBo

20. jimmy shaker says:

Good job MT getting Budaj in there ( very surprised to see that move)…..Price needs a rest. The softies have been getting the better of him for the last 3 games.

Shaker out!

21. Steve C. says:

Why is Therrien starting Flanders? Ahhh darn-diddly-arned.

22. Adidess says:

Very tough game tonight. I’m still not sure how good this team is, but … if they win tonight (second leg of back-to-back following crazy, energy-sapping game; on the road; playing #2 goalie; against a championship team better than us on paper) – they will make me a true believer. I’m thinking Cup run, seriously.

Now, this is also to say that I won’t panic and want everyone traded if they lose this one. This game is shaping up to be a hard one in that Bruins barn. If you’re realistic, a good showing from them in the current situation should be acceptable win or lose. Who’s with me?

But again, it’s against Boston, right?

• Danno says:

Is it confirmed that Budaj is getting the start?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• JF says:

I am. I’ll be over the moon if they win, but I’m not really expecting it. I won’t be too dissatisfied if they play well and lose a close one.

• Sportfan says:

I think they really should have given Price the bounce back game

• Mr. Biter says:

Me too, however the team seems to play better defense when Budda is in net.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

• boing007 says:

They have to play better defense when Budaj’s in the net.

Richard R
          Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• Jim Edson says:

Wait until after the first period !

———————————————————————-
          What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

They tell him what they want done and he works to make it happen through his subordinates while making sure that individual franchises play by the rules.

******** Translated if you haven’t won the Stanley Cup in 40 years your NHL team is becoming irrelevant in a sports mad city long behind MLB, NFL and NBA teams, you just tell the commissioner(who you gave a new contract at 7 plus million per) to make it happen and the rules are bent sufficiently to action the command.

• Adidess says:

Part of me thought that too, but you can argue it either way.

I called Budja last night because I thought MT would have pulled Price at some point, if he was thinking about giving him the start the next night in Boston. Price ended the game too beat up, I feel he needs time to regroup (mentally more than physically).

Unless you’re certain the rest of the team will step it up big time, you don’t throw him out to the Boston vultures like that. Maybe the team will be more conscious of their defensive play tonight with Budaj in there. Plus, if things go badly, you know you didn’t let it happen to Price two nights in a row.

• Mr. Biter says:

MT would not have pulled Price after 2 periods last night (tie game) as the first 2 goals were pretty flukey espically the 1st one. However a big save on the winning goal would have helped us .

Mr. Biter
          No Guts No Glory

• habs001 says:

Cup run?…From one game …Playoffs is totally different than playing a different team in the reg season…No way to predict how much the Habs would have left after winning a physical 7 game series…How many long physical series can this team survive and have anything left for the next round?…Hab fans seem to go from one extreme to another regarding their team…

• Adidess says:

Oh God, I’m not saying we should give them the Cup if they win the game tonight. What I am saying is this. They’ve been leading the East and I still don,t quite see them as a Nb 1 team. They haven’t proven themselves in enough tough situations for that Nb 1 position to register. I am saying, taking into consideration everything around tonight’s game, I would start believing in them a bit more, and would give them a chance to win rounds in the playoffs if they win.

The more important point I was making there was that I don’t really expect them to win under tonight’s conditions, therefore I hope people just relax if they play well enough and lose.

• Habilis says:

I agree 100%. A win tonight would solidify the Habs as a true threat for me.

I’m hoping that with Budaj in, the Habs get back to playing better D. Back to basics and all that.

23. adamkennelly says:

I am stuck watching this game on NBC – which I means I get subjected to Milbury and his loud mouthed incompetence…such a clown – how do any networks justify paying this schmuck. Habs better win.

24. Mondou6 says:

Budaj in goal tonight is completely ridiculous. This is the biggest game of the year, and we’re practically waving the white flag before it starts.

This is a huge mistake.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Maybe MT is sending Price a message like Bylsma did to Fleury last night…don’t agree with the move but it is MT’s prerogative after such a poor game by Price.

• Propwash says:

Price lamenters rejoyce!

____________________
      DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• MattZ says:

Maybe Price said he was tired and needed a rest, he seemed to be slowing down recently.

• Jim Edson says:

+1000

———————————————————————-
      What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

25. anotherhab says:

Wonder if we’ll get to see Gabriel Dumont today? Like to see him with White and Moen —- anyone has a better chance at scoring than Armstrong. I understand he’s MT pet but I don’t even see him in the NHL next year.
    Something has to be done on defence, they sure played soft last night, what teams fear this group, don’t get me wrong I like the offence they provide, MB will bring someone in. We need a big crushing body, JBo is not the answer, maybe another flame like Cory Sarich would be a better fit.

26. Rightwing says:

Tomas Kaberle: Star!

Let’s see if Tomas Kaberle can string two great games together. If he were somehow able to continue to play like he did against the Pens last night, it would create the trade possibility that would be a boon to the club.

Heck, if he continues to play that way, he’d well earn his current salary and be a valuable asset to a team going deep into the playoffs, including the one he’s on.

27. Mondou6 says:

I never get tired of that video of “too many men on the ice”, and Cherry behind the bench.

In Cherry’s defense, he knows suits, and he knows dogs, but he sure as hell can’t count to 6.

28. Mavid says:

what an ugly face..makes you just want to punch it..

29. frontenac1 says:

Trade Price? Trade Josh? Jesus Chri#t,what he hell is going on here today? Here”s an idea amigos;Pour a nice cocktail,smoke “em if you got “em and listen to some Sinatra. Works every time. Saludos!

30. Mattyleg says:

Just a little word on the Bouwmeester for Gorges talk:

They are two completely different players; Bouwmeester is an offensive D-man, while Gorges is a defensive one.

I don’t think we need more offensive d-men with PK, Diaz, and Markov (and Emelin, kind of) already on the team.

Just a quick look at Bouw’s stats shows his plus/minus over his career:
    ’02-03: -29
    03-04: -15
    05-06: 1
    06-07: 23
    07-08: -5
    08-09: -2
    09-10: -4
    10-11: -2
    11-12: -21

Now you can say that these are because Bouw was always playing on poor teams (which is true), but look at Gorges’ +/- from last year: +14 on the third-worst team in the league.

Oh, and Bouwmeester got -21 last year while notching 29 points. Only 2 powerplay goals and 8 pp assists. That means that he was on the ice for at least 40 opposition goals!!! (Don’t know how much pk time he was given, so we don’t know how many goals on the pk he was on for).

I dunno, but…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I find comparing +/- stats between players from different teams a little tricky as the team does have an effect on it. I woulds be willing to give him a pass as the team and atmosphere around it stinks.

Maybe Jay Bo might not be the answer but if the Habs want to compete for the Cup, they need a top 2 big defenseman. Gorges is not it, Emelin is still learning and Markov can’t play those minutes anymore.

• habs001 says:

Everytime i have seen Bouwmeester he has not looked that good…change of scenario may change that but who knows…With Gorges is it a temp issue that he is having much more problems in his own end than he has before?

• boing007 says:

MT might make Bouwmeester a better person. Or at least less offensive.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• habbernack says:

JBo makes 6.5 a year. Josh 3.5

31. Adidess says:

Sorry, Budaj. Damn IPhone

32. Adidess says:

It’s Budaj in net, as per RDS

Edit: Pushed ‘post’ too soon

33. Prust for PM says:

Therrien, Bouillon, Ryder. I’m sensing a Reunion trend here…Komisarek? Komisarek would fill the bill for all those clamoring for a big, rugged defenseman. He probably would blow up the Salary Cap; maybe we could repatriate Thomas Kaberle to TO now that he’s exercised his legs the last couple games. And certainly Komisarek needs some “exercize” nowadays. Andrei Markov helped Komisarek to a $20 million payday. Maybe they could rekindle the magic…

Cannonading drive!!

• ProHabs says:

LOL..please no komisarek. The guy is awful..lucic destroyed this guys career

• habs001 says:

In the last 4 years Komisarek has been brutal..With the Habs in his final year he could not skate.shoot the puck and his eye hand coordination was not even close for a pro athelete…he constantly lost puck battles in front of the net..

• Vid says:

According to nhlnumbers.com Komi’s cap hit is only a 0.25 M more than Kaberle, both become ufas after 13-14 season.

Komi started playing badly after Lucic beat him in that fight and I don’t know if he ever pulled it back together after that. He’s still grossly overpaid for what he offers skill-wise.

34. Adidess says:

Not surprised Budaj is in. Not enough time for Price to regroup and find his game.

35. Habilis says:

Any word on who’s starting for us in goal?

36. Boomer says:

Living in Calgary I catch a lot of flames games

I really hope the habs do NOT trade for Bouwmeester. There’s room for improvement on the Habs blueline but Jay is not it.

• Whatever says:

Bouwmeester would have to waive his no trade clause.

At his cap hit of $6.7 million, I wouldn’t be overjoyed.

• The Cat says:

I dont know the Bouwmeester of late, but the habs are a well oiled machine, so theres a good chance hed fit right in…If Kaberle can have good games with this club, then it stands to reason…

• ProHabs says:

I agree. The guy is big but man does he ever play soft. He shows absolutely no emotion out there and always looks like a guy that just doesn’t care hence the no playoff games. His salary is way to high for what he does. Look elsewhere

37. The Cat says:

Man Id like to see Lucic get pounded. If Prust can do it, I’ll return my empty beer bottles and buy a habs jersey with his number!

38. Danno says:

I looked up the word ugly in Funk and Wagnalls Illustrated Dictionary and found Lucic’s picture.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

39. B says:

Does Chicago’s streak end in Detroit this afternoon?

–Go Habs Go!–

40. Bill says:

The Habs lose in OT after playing a pretty even game of run and gun with the Pens, have points in ten straight, and are tied for first.

Everyone here acts like they should blow up the team and trade Price for a jockstrap, lol.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Mavid says:

You tell em Kirk

• B says:

A small number of over the top posters do not qualify as everyone here.

–Go Habs Go!–

• ABHabsfan says:

You’re exactly right. That isn’t ANYONE, anywhere who would have put the Habs tied for 1st in the East after 21 games. Sure, we should have had 2 pts last night, but think of where we were last year and where we are now? If someone would have told me the Habs would score 6 and lose I would have laughed in their face, but hey, a couple weeks ago CP stopped all 3 shots in the SO for an extra point so maybe it’s even now.
      Enjoy this ride, at least we have something to cheer for. It’s nice to look at the standings every day instead of the draft rankings

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

Okay, I normally don’t get into the trade speculation as it tends to be a fruitless exercise. But would a trade of Gorges to Calgary for Bouwmeester make sense to both teams? Calgary gets a steady Dman who is 1 year younger with a better cap hit for them, and he is a Western kid.

I like Gorges, he is by all appearances a good teammate, hard working guy. But he does have limitations. I suspect we would probably have to include something else, like perhaps one of our 2nd round picks, perhaps giving them back their 2nd. I don’t know if I want to give that up, but would probably be required.

• ABHabsfan says:

Bouwmeester has played 750 + games in the NHL without ever playing in the play-offs. Not entirely his fault clearly but is that the kind of mojo that should be introduced?

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

That is a fair question, I am not sure the answer.

• Mattyleg says:

I’m not sure why you’d want to get rid of Gorges.
          He has his limitations, but so does every player.

He is a reliable defenceman who is rarely out of position (no more than any other defenceman), regularly puts his body on the line for the team and team-mates, and will always step up and deal with the media, win or lose.

He’s very robust too; apart from when he had surgery, he’s played nearly every game for the Habs despite his crash-bang (and shot-blocking!) style.

Remember when he got hit in the head with the slapshot in 2010 against Washington? He was back in for the next game against the Flyers.

Not sure why we’d want to get rid of someone like that.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Just have to give up something to get something. Habs need a top two physical shut down defense man. Crosby showed last night that the Habs don’t have a 25 min/game shut down pair like most elite teams do.

• Mattyleg says:

Check my post above.
            Bouwmeester is neither of the things you are looking for.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• frontenac1 says:

Never screw with The Mojo! It is futile and dangerous.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I’m sure he is dying to make the playoffs. Sometimes that is good mojo. Anyway, I would trade Gorges+good prospect (not Tinordi/Beaulieu)+2nd round pick OR Gorges+1st round (since it will be low this year). Just proposing…not an expert.

42. B says:

I was just looking at the CHL rookie scoring leaders. The top 2 in the QMJHL are Russians. 2 of the top 3 in the OHL are Russians. The top 3 in the WHL are a Dane, a German and a Latvian (with a Russian in 4th).

–Go Habs Go!–

So read someone earlier mentioning the name Jay Bouwmeester as a possible pickup. In looking at his stats and contract something stood out which i can’t believe.

He hasn’t missed a game in the NHL since 2003, 7 consecutive seasons of 82 reg. season games played. That is incredible to me.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

He also plays 25 min/game. Crosby exposed the fact that the Habs do not have a top pair that can play 25 min/game against the opposition’s best. Imagine PK with Bouwmeester. I would even trade Gorges and etc. for him.

44. habs001 says:

No matter how well Eller plays if he cannot score goals he cannot be anything more than your 3rd line centre…

45. Shadows says:

It’s always tough figuring out who I dislike more, Boston or Toronto. Anyways, just wanted to say that there are lots of amazing posters here and it’s a joy to read the comments.

ReMember

- Boston has been at home for five days and played an afternoon game yesterday. Rask had the day off yesterday. Habs play their fourth game of the week on the road with Price being the netminder in all four games.

- Bruins haven’t lost a game since Feb. 15

- Bruins only have one injured player, Jordan Caron, who is basically a depth player

- Marchand, public enemy #1, has 11 goals, 3PPG and 4GWG. Regardless, he’s still a little asshole.

- Boston is 57.8% in faceoffs while Montreal is 48.2%. Bruins also get last line change.

- I sense we might need a Mike Boone reverse jinx tonight.

• Lafleurguy says:

Amateur sports psychologist reporting for duty, fine feathered fanatics. Would find out if Pricey slept OK and if not, Budaj. MT should watch the goalies closely during warm-ups and then make a game time decision.

Worst psychological event in post Richard Riots Habs History: Murray Baron refusing to leave his hotel room after being crushed by Boston’s Troy Mallette.
      Peace, Out.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Right about Marchand…we need another one of these PK!

• CanadienBoy says:

Why do i get the feeling that Prust will get injure tonight ,if the Habs get ahead early no doubt Boston will start the goon crap

• reddog24 says:

I’m predicting the Bruins go after Markov bad knee, Subban because of who he is, Gallagher because he plays like Marchant and Price to get him off his game. They are going to hit to injure you can be sure. Prust has got to keep his head and not get suckered into penalties.

47. HabFanSince72 says:

A touching story regarding the Bruins is the way Milan Lucic and Cory Schneider’s girlfriends made up after some less than complimentary exchanges on twitter.

You can see it here:

I draw your attention to the last tweet in the sequence, where it becomes evident that the two ladies have chosen love over war.

• Chuck says:

Classy stuff there.

___________________________________________________

• ffenliv says:

I didn’t read the article, but at first glance, your comment appears to suggest that Milan Lucic had a spat with two or more of Schneider’s girlfriends?

That seems a little odd.

48. Lafleurguy says:

Posters would be interested in who the Bruins backup ‘tender is. If Rask were injured, the B’s would be tradin for Halak.
    How in the world Scott Howson traded Voracek to the Flyers is mind-numbing. At least he was finally able to get Jack Johnson.
    As a GM, Jay Feaster makes a good player agent, which he used to be. See the overpriced contract he got for O’Reilly?
    We should offer our team name in a trade for Jarome Iginla, Montreal Flames, Calgary Canadiens…….. If anyone would go for it, it would be Feaster.
    Peace, Out.

“May you live in interesting times.”

49. HabFanSince72 says:

The Pens are the original tank-meisters. I can never cheer for them because of that. And to think they drafted poorly (Fleury instead of E Staal, J Staal instead of Toews). Crosby and Malkin were no-brainers.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

When I hear how great of an organization they are, I laugh. They almost lost their franchise because they tanked 5 years in a row. You don’t have to be a genius to draft well when your pick is in the top three. There should be an Edmonton/Pittsburgh rule where you can not have a top 3 pick two years in a row. The Pens were awarded for futility and that is not right.

• Mondou6 says:

I agree, I hate when teams are rewarded for deliberately tanking, and some franchises do it over and over.

The Pens are the worst in the NHL, by far. In football it’s the Colts. And in basketball, the Lakers. They all end up drafting the next big star, then when his times ends, they throw a season or two to draft the next one.

50. thehabs21 says:

Not seeing alot from Galchenyuk and Ryder. Both players arent really physical. throw ryder with Gio and Pleks, Prust back with Agally and Eller

I think you are right, Prust seems to really spark Galchenyuk, I think both Eller and Galchenyuk are better motivated with a Prust on their line, reminding them how to play each shift.

51. sherburnehabfan says:

I know this is an old debate but having PK and Markov on the powerplay at the same time is like having Tom Brady and Brett Farve running your two minute drill. They are both great players but their styles don’t complement each other. When they are out there together who is the quarterback? Diaz worked well with Markov. Who would work well with PKs style of play?

__________
    Hockey is a game played with a clock, the more time you play in the offensive side of center ice the less pressure you put on the defense. Control the clock, win the game.

• Vid says:

We already know one answer to this question. The Wiz but he would’ve cost too much and still gets injured often. I remember PK saying he generally prefers another righty Dman to pass to him for the one timer. It’s easier for a righty to pass the puck into his wheelhouse. If I remember correctly Subban has the most success offensively on the PP with Wizniewski. Now it’s just finding a player with similar attributes.

I don’t think Markov and Subban on the PP are necessarily conflicting. In particular Subban has the speed to make up for the now slower Markov if he misses a clear at the blueline and Subban has to race back against an opposing forward. Having both Dmen on their off sides gives the opportunities for hard one-timers from both sides of the rink.

I agree that generally I think it is better to spread the wealth and have a top Dman on each pp wave with a perhaps lesser but complimentary Dman.

I think Diaz could work well with Subban as well.. If we keep Markov-Diaz together then the only other potential player to play with Subban on the PP would be Weber (has he even played this season?).

52. Say Ash says:

Ryder will get his 100th goal as a Hab tonight with a feed from Kaberle.

53. adamkennelly says:

Prust showing he might be too valuable a player to be scrapping all the time. Gally’s emergence as the team’s spark plug and top 6 guys – yet another reason for this team to muscle up as he will be targeted by opponents – likely starting with some of the Booins tonight.

54. twilighthours says:

Trade all of our guys for other, better guys. Do it now.

55. city center says:

I think if the Habs can learn anything from last night’s silly game is that they have to play their game rather than their opponent’s style (think the win over Toronto where they refused Orr & Co.’s invitation to brawl). Need good team D and better goaltending to defeat a team like the broons that make the most of their opportunities.

Despite the negatives last night, love the DD, Pac, Gally line and Prust, Eller and Kaberle were solid throughout. Love Emelin too despite the occasional positioning issues.

Last, congrats to Koivu last night: goal, two assists and plus one in the SO loss. 20 pts in 20 GP. Not bad for a 38 year old.

• Danno says:

We can get away with playing like we did last night.

Just as long as we score seven or eight goals, and not just a measly six.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

56. Prust for PM says:

I hope that Gally’s father followed him to TD Garden. Gallagher has become a Puck Piranha. You can’t take your eyes off him. I’m glad that linemate MaxPac is “back” over the last 6-7 games but also note that Pacioretty has been meek and unproductive against the ‘Ruins since THE Game. Tonight’s game will call for a goal from an “unexpected” source like Moen, Armstrong, or Kaberle. As Boone has noted many a time, it’s NOW time for Price to “steal” a game.

Cannonading drive!!

57. Sportfan says:

Ugh don’t want to deal with a Bruins game today haha but excited its today that way last nights game doesn’t get over analyzed!

58. B says:

Stubbs tweets that this is the Bruins best 18 game start (14-2-2 for 30 points) since 1929-30 (16-2-0 for 32 points). I dug deeper finding that Boston only lost 5 of 44 games that season and didn’t lose 2 games in a row until Montreal swept them to win the cup. I noted that they went with 2 forward lines and 5 D back then.

–Go Habs Go!–

59. Gormdog says:

Gallagher and Maxpax once again our most effective forwards…

I had seen Gallagher play with Hamilton and even Vancouver, and I never billed him as a top 6 guy. I projected him as a third liner who could play in all 3 zones and maybe score 10-15 in the NHL.

I`ve been cheering from him from the start so maybe i`m wearing Habs coloured glasses, but this kid is carving out a top 6 spot pretty effectively. I knew he had the shot, the energy, the drive… What I never realized how high his hockey IQ was!

Maybe it’s because in Hamilton he didn’t have the NHL talent with him, guys able to hit him in stride, help him find the gaps, or finishers who can take advantage of his quick hands and feet…

Did you see how quickly he pounced on that puck and took it to the net on the Pacioretty goal? To add to his hands and motor, Gallagher has hockey sense through the roof that is only really showing up now ( in the majors no less) that he has top tier linemates to play with. He’s on a better ppg pace than in the AHL. Impressive stuff all around.

He’s been the single biggest different to our offensive game this season. No offence to Galchenyuk, who has incredible hands, but there are lots of shifts where he comes and goes and you barely notice him. Maybe I’m just blinded by his speed and stature, but when Gallagher is on the ice, he is ALWAYS on the puck. Always. A godsend for Therien and his swarm system… This kid was built for it!

We are still giving away points like last season, but instead of getting 0 where we should get 1, we get 1 when when we should get 2. A few key players can make all the difference between seasons. We won’t win the division, but who cares? This team is moving the right direction. It’s not about wins and losses this year, it’s about changing a culture that culminated in finishing last, a total embarassment. I’m trying to focus more on the play, to see how we stack up against “better” teams who have more stars and firepower… And so far this team is just about the opposite of last years. Fair warning, we will go on losing streaks, the key is to look at the big picture not the individual W’s and L’s…

He has been better than expected I think as well. His work ethic, his smarts and his hustle are top shelf. What a great draft pick that was.

Hey Gorm, is your Shephard a King Shephard? Good looking dog man.

• Gormdog says:

To be honest I don’t really know about the dog… Haha… It’s a generic google image pic I use for an Avatar in an online war game I play… lol… The Gravatar carried over to my HIO accout apparently… Gormdog is always in a tank so it made sense at the time!

• Sportfan says:

So glad we have both of them on our team Max Pac is the real deal 18 points in 17 games that amazing! Can’t wait to see that line out tonight!

• Gormdog says:

I actually wasn’t THAT impressed with Pac last season, yes he was our highest scoring forward but I felt that his success was largely due to Cole and Desharnais making plays, screening, and giving him space. A whole boatload of his goals were flukey shots that went in on unsuspecting goalies.

This year I find he’s really turned up his overall game, his passing, his positionning, a much more complete player. Great pick Timmins, and say what you will about Jaques Martin and his handling of young players but he developped the HELL out of Max, sans doute.

• Boomer says:

good post bud.

60. rjcp says:

Probably the most nervous I’m going to be thus far in the season watching the Has play tonight, other than the Leafs on Wednesday of course. Hope Price is back in, he will be the key against the Bruins, but not if Mr. Hyde shows up.

61. Thurston says:

Price should get the start tonight because:
    (a) He will be given an immediate opportunity to bounce back after last night and;
    (b) It’s still the Bruins. Playing the #1 goalie is still necessary.

62. habsfan0 says:

The Habs are playing on consecutive Sundays.(Tonight vs Boston,next Sunday against the Panthers.)
    When was the last time that happened?(non playoff game)

63. Old Bald Bird says:

BGally was excellent last night. IMO it was he who made Cole expendable. Tough game tonight. They usually give the B’s a battle, but I would be surprised if they won.

64. Boomer says:

I was a Goalie. I got lit a few times myself. I don’t believe the majority of the goals were Price’s fault. I do believe that his confidence was shot around goal number 5 (Which is normal, ask any goalie). I firmly believe a person’s character can be measured by how they pick themselves up when things aren’t going well. The same can be said about a team. Since the loss to Toronto (6-0) the habs have not lost in regulation. I thnk Price will come back strong as well.
    He’s got character.

65. habsfan0 says:

Is tonight’s game THE most important game of the season,to date,for the Habs?

It’s against the hated Bruins,a divisional opponent,with 1st place on the line.

66. The Jackal says:

That Lucic is an ugly motherlover!

67. habsfan0 says:

Queen Elizabeth is in hospital with a stomach ailment.
    I didn’t know she watched the Habs play last night.

68. habsfan0 says:

As efficient as the Penguins are on offence, they are poor defensively. Last night’s game was the norm for them,not an aberration.

I think they will be looking to upgrade on the back end prior to the trading deadline, and might be interested in acquiring Kaberele.

I wonder who they might be willing to give up that might fill a need for the Habs?

69. commandant says:

I’d definitely put Price back in. He always seems to bounce back.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• ABHabsfan says:

I wouldn’t put him back in today, I think he could use a practise in between where he can get 100 shots or so and get a feel for the puck again. Some games as a goalie you just feel like everything could go in and you just can’t pick up the puck. You need a relaxed environment with a ton of shots to get the groove back. IMO anyway.

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

I thought Therriens reactions in the post game scrum was refreshing. It was as wild a game as the Habs will be a part of probably all regular season and they almost matched a league powerhouse goal for goal.

Too bad they have such a tough opponent so soon after, but at least the guys didn’t have to be part of a terribly rough game last night.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Did you see him blow a sigh of relief at the end of regulation last night. He knew they were terrible defensively. He mixed his defense pairs as much as he did the forwards. Last year we would have got zero points such games. At least now we’re getting a least a point. They still need to start getting some more OT points however.

71. Mattyleg says:

All right, HI/O, give it to me:
    Who are we trading?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

72. otter649 says:

Hope Price starts…

• billylove says:

He’ll be very eager to play after last night and should be a little more intense than normal. This is a big challenge for Price and I expect he’ll be solid. Let’s take back 1st tonight!

73. NL Hab says:

1st

Et Le But

Yup every damn one of us…… sigh

75. Lafleurguy says:

Maybe we can trade him for a recent Cup Winner like Ansemi Niemi..

-Price Loyalist-

76. ffenliv says:

Unless there’s some sarcasm there I’m just not getting: Only in montreal would a comment like that meet with any agreement.

The team is slugging it out for first in the division, and is 13-4-4. Price is one of the league-leaders in wins. I’ll readily admit he was off last night, but the only other really awful game this year was in Toronto, where *no one* on the team played well.

Between Quebec’s high taxes and the total bull**** players have to put up with, it’s a wonder anyone ever wants to play here.

77. Bill says:

You wait and post this every time Price has an off-night. It’s really juvenile. It’s also obviously wrong to say that because a goalie allow seven goals in a regular season game that he can’t win a Cup, because every goalie who ever won a Cup has had a game like last night’s.

I remember after Roy had already won two Cups there idiots saying stuff like you’re saying about him! Even if Price does win a Cup, guys like you will say it’s a fluke and tell us how it will never happen again.

Full Breezer 4 Life

78. habsguy says:

I guess wins dont count ?????

It came from California…

80. ont fan says:

Guess you haven’t been around here long. At some point we felt the same about Cornouyer Lafleur, Roy. Should I go on?

81. Vid says:

Every goalie has bad games once in a while. I still remember Roy’s last game in Montreal when Mario Tremblay only pulled him after letting in NINE goals in an 11-1 loss to Detroit.

82. Bripro says:

You forgot to change the face on no. 11.

83. Habfan10912 says:

Classic Habsolutely. :)

———————————–

84. Vid says:

pretty funny. I’d add hearts over the eyes of the woman near Carey and add a caption “LA Loyalist’s mom”