Hockey is just around the corner

Labour Day weekend marks the unofficial end of summer, which is the bad news.

The good news is that means hockey is just around the corner.

The Canadiens will hold their annual golf tournament on Tuesday, Sept. 3 at Laval-sur-le-Lac. The Canadiens’ rookie camp, which will be open to the public, will run from Sept. 5-9 at the club’s Brossard practice facility and the main training camp will open on Sept. 11 when players report for medicals. Forty players will take part in the rookie camp, including 18 who were drafted by the Canadiens. Three first-round picks will be at the camp: Michael McCarron (2013), Nathan Beaulieu (2011) and Jarred Tinordi (2010).

The Canadiens will play their first of seven preseason games in 12 days on Sept. 15 when the Buffalo Sabres visit the Bell Centre. The Boston Bruins will be at the Bell Centre the next night.

The regular season opens on Tuesday, Oct. 1 when the Toronto Maple Leafs are at the Bell Centre.

Chicago Blackhawks goaltender Corey Crawford, who grew up on the South Shore of Montreal, will bring the Stanley Cup to his hometown of Châteauguay on Monday, Sept. 2, and have it on display in the parking lot at the Châteauguay Multisports Centre (255 Brisebois Blvd.) from noon until 4 p.m. Fans will have the opportunity to meet the goaltender and have their photograph taken with the Cup.

(Gazette file photo/John Mahoney)

Forty players to take part in Habs’ rookie camp, Canadiens.com

Rookie camp roster

Canadiens’ preseason schedule

Canadiens’ regular-season schedule

Partial Habs ticket plans go on sale Saturday, canadiens.com

Another day with the Stanley Cup for Scotty Bowman, Stuonsports blog

Top 10 Best Goals of Brendan Gallagher’s career (video), canadiens.com

Carlyle tired of Leafs being butt of jokes, Stuonsports blog

Forecasting Canada’s Olympic team for Sochi, NHL.com

1. hab fan in leaf jungle says:

Get ready for the Habs to start losing. No goaltending…Price is not even as good as a Junior A goalie. No coach…Therrien got out-coached by a f’in Junior coach like McLean and we saw the old emotional out-of-control MT so we know the Therrien 2.0 is just an act…Still no goal scorers with size and another French guy who is way over the hill in Briere taking up a roster spot and salary cap money…After PK there is no talent on D…A convicted thug in Beaulieu as the hot prospect but hey he’s a Frenchie so it’s all good. Trade that thug for someone with no criminal record and some character and real talent…DD at almost 4 million as the smurf who can’t score but as a French guy gets the nod over others…Pleks and Gionta round out the smurf brigade…Detroit is now in the East so good luck making the playoffs…Geez can somebody with brains please take over this team and stop drafting and signing these no-good lazy French-Canadians. I want to see a Cup in Montreal before I die.

2. Subbanarama says:

Just want to say that after reading the comments on HIO for a long time and quite regularly I have finally registered. Thank you to everyone for the entertainment, insight, info and fodder contained in the comments section on here. It has helped me get through this off-season. I hope I can add a little to the conversation. Also want to say hello to the other Habs fans out West. I wonder if I’ve seen any of you walking the streets of Vancouver with a Habs cap on!

And just for the sake of it- I am quite excited for the future of our team with our young group of talented players. I don’t know when the next cup with be, but with Subban, Patches, Chucky, Gally, Eller, Emelin, and with the potential of some of our prospects- we have some exciting hockey to watch in the years ahead!

As far as the constant Carey Price debate I think he is a GOOD (not great) goalie. I think some people really overrate him and others are too hard on him. I hope he can bring his game to the next level and become the great goaltender some people think he is!

Can’t wait for the puck to drop!

Cheers,

un boulet de canon

3. habbernack says:

I would like to see Hal Gill coaching our d-men in Hamilton.

OHL Belleville Bulls news.

After the inter squad game last night, the Belleville Bulls have made cuts and are down to 30 players fighting for a roster spot.
    Great to watch the fantastic competition on the ice.

It is early days, but coach George Burnett looks to have a ton of speed this year.
    One Subban is still in town, After being drafted this year, Jordon is looking to have his best year.

Check out these pictures of past HIO Summit!

Montreal Canadiens We Are Fans Summit
    Timeline
    Click onto the timeline for this link below!

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

6. Un Canadien errant says:

Hockey’s Future has finally rejigged its Top 20 prospect rankings, and folded in the 2013 draftees.

They’re not so high on Christian Thomas and Magnus Nygren, and trini will be offended by the snub, but Connor Crisp doesn’t make the cut. There’s no surprise in the Top 4 though.

———————————————————————–
    … you know, because there’s no way hundreds of overcompetitive stars with massive egos would ever cheat to gain an edge with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake..–Bill Simmons

• Maritime Ronn says:

…and this same group had Eric Karlsson as a 7.0 talent with a “D” probability of success

• Un Canadien errant says:

I followed your link Ronn, and I think this is the Erik Karlsson you are referring to:

You’re probably objecting to the low score, but once we realize there are more than one Erik Karlsson profiled, the controversy disappears.

The Ottawa Karlsson is rated at 8.5 B, as opposed to the Carolina Karlsson you mention.

In any case, I’m not bringing up the article because I think Hockey’s Future is infallible. It has been explained on this site many times that they’re not the best source for scouting, and I accept that. I do think they’re a good source to start and frame the discussion though.

I refer to their site a lot when I’m trying to advise the Canadiens from a distance, and while they had graded the 2013 draftees a while back, they still hadn’t re-ordered the Top 20 prospects to include them, so when I noticed this morning that they had, I thought I’d let everyone know.

• Chris says:

Wrong Erik Karlsson. That Erik Karlsson was drafted by the Carolina Hurricanes in the 4th round of the 2012 draft.

The Senators’ Erik Karlsson was rated 8.5 with a “B” probability of success, one of their highest rankings. Alex Galchenyuk, for comaprison’s sake, was given an 8.5 and a ‘B’.

• Maritime Ronn says:

OOPs me bad.
        Need coffee

• Old Bald Bird says:

I kind of wish they didn’t include G&G who are already in the NHL, but I think their ranking is better than EOTP’s in terms of Colberg and McCarron, at least. They would become 3 & 4 of players who have not yet made it. That makes more sense to me that Colberg at 8 and McCarron at 14.

• Stevie.Ray says:

I think Eotp puts more emphasis on who is closest to playing NHL games, which is why Holland and Bournival are ahead of guys still in junior

• Un Canadien errant says:

Exactly, their parameters are different. HF is looking at prospects, and to them our rookies still qualify as such. EOTP is doing the Top 25 under 25. Pretty soon they’ll be listing P.K. and Max and our rookies as well. If we remove from their rankings those five or six guys already in the NHL, Mike McCarron is in the top 10, and Sebastian Collberg is Top 3.

And yeah, they take the approach that an 18-year-old has to be extremely talented to be equivalent to an AHL’er who’s ready for the NHL. Might seem odd, but looking at how everyone was stoked on Dalton Thrower at last season’s draft, and his difficult year since then, we can see how one uneven development year can harm a prospect’s value. Same goes for Louis Leblanc. So potential factors into their evaluation, but it’s not the be all and end all.

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

Thanks for posting this link UCe. I like the depth of that group.

24 cups and counting….

• Un Canadien errant says:

Me too. I bear the caution of others in mind when they say that we were in the same position a few years ago with Mike Komisarek, Chris Higgins, the Kostitsyn brothers, etc., that we thought our farm was loaded with can’t miss players, who eventually bore little fruit. On the other hand, I spent a little time reading up on the Flames before the draft, and compared to them we definitely have a wealth of prospects in the system. Same with the Canucks, aside from Brendan Gaunce and the two first-rounders this year, the fans have no one they know or are excited about. On that metric alone, we’re doing much better.

7. Maritime Ronn says:

Good Morning morning crew

The Habs September 5-9 rookie camp invite list is out for the 40 players.

Unfortunately, two of the top talents in Sebastian Collberg and Jacob de la Rose will remain in Sweden.

Over and above the skill, and for the first time in a long time, the Habs will also have some size up front that will need development:
    Michael McCarron: 6’05’’ 237
    Connor Crisp: 6’03’’ 223
    Stephan Fournier:6’03’’ 212
    Steven Qualier:6’04’’ 209

On D, the winner of the ‘1 year size-up project’ goes to Jarred Tinordi.
    At this time last year on the Habs official roster, he was listed at a very lanky 6’6″-205.
    During the year at Hamilton, he moved up to 218 pounds.

Now according to the Habs official training camp list:
    TINORDI, Jarred: 6’06’’ 227…and who knows what the weigh-in will show.

All of a sudden, a softie smallish overall D that finished the 2011/12 season has been transformed into a much more tough gang to play against:

Douglas Murray- 6′ 3″ 245
    Jarred Tinordi- 6’6″ +226
    PK – 6’0″ 216 ( you can bet his weigh-in will be closer to 225)
    Alexei Emelin – 6′ 2″ 219 (when he gets back)
    Andrei Markov- 6′ 0″ 204
    Josh Gorges-6′ 1″ 203
    Diaz-Drewiske-Bouillon

Here is hoping that with all these assets available to him, that Coach Therrien changes up his Penalty killing Units from the last playoffs.

1st Unit PK vs. Ottawa was: Diaz-Gorges
    2nd Unit PK: Bouillon-Tinordi
    Subban and Markov played very little 5-6 PK time and watched from the bench.

• JohninTruro says:

Very true Ron. I see Connor Crisp on the Otters website at 6’4″ though, so a little bigger. And as someone mentioned last night he had a hat trick in one game, 2 goals and an assist in the other. Mind you these are scrimmages so very little is gained from this, but he could be an exciting prospect to watch this year, especially for the ones who can see him live.

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

This new trend toward bulking up a bit that these Habs seem to have adopted (and which you’ve highlighted here) is very encouraging. Thanks for posting these numbers Ronn!

24 cups and counting….

8. sweetmad says:

For all those suffering withdrawal symtons, that are not yet dissipating.

My body’s shaking,I cannot see,
    Is it some one else,or is it me?
    I don’t know who I am ,or my name,
    I can’t start rehab until I see a game.

My skin is tingling,my heart is thumping,
    I feel hot and cold,my limbs are jumping,
    I need a way for my remission to begin,
    I won’t get better till I see a win.

I can’t eat,my stomachs churning,
    My tongue is swollen,my eyes are burning,
    I am not sure, if I can ever get well,
    Will I be the same?who can tell.

There’s something I need,I no longer know what,
    I should get the doctor to give me a shot,
    I see something moving,is it players on the ice?
    Theres some one in goal,is it really Price?.

I think that maybe, I can make it through this time,
    I can see the HABS on the anthem line,
    I can feel it’s closer,but maybe too long,
    I might be right,I could be wrong.

I know what I need,to see some speed and skill,
    I need to see the HABS, kill a penalty kill,
    To see Markov or Subban,shoot on the power play,
    Can I last? can I really make it to that day.

It won’t be too long, can I last?
    It was never this bad,in the past,
    If I get a fix,will it work?who can tell?
    I will not know, until I hear that Bell Centre yell !!!!!!!!!
    GO HABS GO

9. JayK-47 says:

Anybody see the tweet below???

Victor Fernandes ‏@GoErieHockey 7h

@connorcrisp23 nets a hat trick for the 2nd straight day… #erie
    Retweeted by Connor Crisp

• Steven says:

Maybe the kid is more than a fighter then… :)

• habstrinifan says:

There ya go!

• Chris says:

It’s traning camp scrimmages. I need to see him score some goals against actual opponents this season, given that he is 19 year old monster playing against 16 and 17 year olds who give up 50+ pounds and 4-6 inches to him.

• JohninTruro says:

Jay I looked at the game notes and I am sure it only said he had 2 goals in the first game and 3 in the next. Either way, still quality, and as Chris says not against “real” competition but good to see regardless.

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

Fingers crossed, eh? I’m hoping he is becomes a fixture on our bottom 6 for years to come.

24 cups and counting….

• Un Canadien errant says:

I take Chris’ caution in stride, agree that we shouldn’t get carried away that a huge overager is dominant in a training camp scrimmage, but it’s still good news compared to if the news were the opposite, that he looks bad in camp and can’t skate and has stone hands and people are wondering what Trevor Timmins saw in him. At least his trajectory is, very early, following what we would hope for from him.

10. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

One Leaf: Wendell Clark, for being immortalized by the great Rheostatics on their debut album, “Greatest Hits”. Finer fellows and a better band you would be hard-pressed to find.

What’s up peoplez? Is my favorite Hab still a Hab?

12. Sportfan says:

If you had to like one Leaf player from anytime, who would you choose? I say Doug Gilmore cause he played for us haha.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• longbow says:

George Armstrong. I appreciated the type of player he was. On the Red Wings I liked Alex Delvecchio, Black Hawks, Stan Mikita, Bruins, Johnny Bucyk and Jean Ratelle with the Rangers. Going back to my childhood on this one.

” Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm ” – Winston Churchill

• Ian Cobb says:

Longbow, where have you been my friend.

And yes George Armstrong was a hockey player for sure. As were the players you have listed. The word respect was very meaningful during these years.

• habstrinifan says:

Keon! Salming! Wnedell Clarke! Sittler! Took me a while to get names rolling around in my head but quite a few good Leafs. I consider Gilmour a hybrid sort of.. like Mahvolich. Neither Leafs nor Habs can really claim him.

• Old Bald Bird says:

Maybe Frank Mahovolich because all was forgiven when he played for the Habs. I recall him stripping the puck off Bobby Orr and going in to score in the playoffs. Loved it.

13. FishOutOfWater says:

if anybodys looking for end of summer jams, winddown tunes and final parties headed into fall check out the link . let the good times roll

14. Habitant in Surrey says:

@UCe

…Norm, I’m not ruling out participation in a Wet-coast Summit at some point

…My priority is My Boy is now in His final year high school, and My Daughter starting grade 10 …(when I accidently tumbled upon HIO as a participatory ‘sport’ several years ago Venus was starting Kindergarten, and Quentin Grade 2 …My Gawd, how time and space is a jet-stream :( )

…Quent may attend university back-east (Montreal ?) post high school, so My priority is spend as much quality-time with He and Ven

…if the angels are with Me, I hope to get seats as close to the Habs visitors bench as possible …but if You and Stephen, and other HIO Brethren are at the game, let’s find a way to get together

…it won’t be possible in a bar as He is not 18

• bwoar says:

HiS:

RE: the links to old stories: it’s a traffic service called Outbrain. HIO puts up stories from other websites (recognizable by the “FROM THE WEB” tag in the picture) and by the same token Gazette stories are featured elsewhere. Each time you click on a story ‘From the web’, Outbrain makes money from the publication who pays a rate for each click. HIO takes a tiny cut of that as well (or maybe gets a free click back in-kind; it depends on the agreement).

It’s not advertising per se, but I lump it in with ads as it’s a (tiny) revenue stream. Outbrain will pepper in links to your own content alongside the ‘from the web’ offerings to a) make everything it displays from 3rd parties seem like legit, natural content and b) to drive traffic to other parts of your website that are better monetized (i.e. to drive eyeballs to other Gazette pages where higher-paying advertisers can benefit from traffic.)

To sum up:

1. Tiny revenue stream when you click on outside (non-Gazette) sites

2. Drive the massive traffic HIO generates to other pages in order to monetize those pages even more.

In fact, they don’t do #2 very well at all, since generally the hockey stuff are all links to other HIO stories that are pretty old, rather than other parts of the paper where they might benefit more from the traffic.

HIO probably generates more pages views than many sections of the Gaz online. If so it makes sense to pad the numbers in those areas by sending us there as much as possible. Advertisers normally would rather spend money in the general ‘Sports’ or ‘Business’ section than on a hockey blog where it will be harder to get your attention. To be honest, there’s little enough money to gain from this; ad impressions aren’t worth more than a penny or so each. Still, it’s content monetization strategy and over the long term it all adds up.

Notice how the Outbrain succeeds precisely because it’s all real content, rather than recognizable advertising banners we ignore.

Sorry for the long answer; been in the industry way too long.

“thoroughbred”

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…thanks Biff ( :) I assume that’s not Your real name ?)

…I understand now, but would make better sense and revenue if OutBrain can use more varied and contemporary links …as We all, by now, know not to click

15. Habitant in Surrey says:

@UCe

16. frontenac1 says:

The only Leafs that I ever liked were Johnny Bower (old Zipper Face) and “Clear The Track,Here Comes Shack” still like them today.I also like The Killer, but don’t consider him a Leaf.Saludos!

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

That’s three more than I like…

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I HATED Shack, and revelled in Ferguson knocking him on his butt

…but time has mellowed Me to appreciate Shack was a one of a kind entertainer …even if he was a Weed

…actually when I remember back, though I loathed the MuppleWeeds, there were numerous Weeds, personally, I liked, if they had not been wearing that eyesore of a sweater …Mahovlich, Horton, Duff, Keon, Baun, Armstrong, Bower and several others

…it was a shame they played for Turdranna …they would have been so much more ‘likable’ :)

• habstrinifan says:

Wasnt enough into hockey or not in Canada to see some of the names you mentioned play. I dont know how much I saw Keon, or if I ever did in a live game on tv etc, but admired him and as such have looked at and read much about him. Of course the stories of Baun and Horton were hard to escape living in Torornto.

Armstrong I followed during the coaching circuses in Toronto.
        Most hated Leaf.. Tiger Williams.. cause he was their John Ferguson.. played the game as if everybody on any other team was a freakin enemy. You gotta respect that.

Leafs I would have really liked to see a HABS… Keon and Wendell Clarke. Man I hated Clarke until the day he retired.. and then I shook off my HABS anti Leafs protection and admitted how good he was.

• GGtheHab says:

Met shack once in the airport in Trenton..I approached him and said hello, he was rude as hell..1st impressions are lasting

• Phil C says:

I liked Wendel Clark, played tough and stood up for his teammates, like in the 1993 playoffs:

• DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

Only Leafs I ever liked… Allan Bester and Jim Korn. The latter was adept at hurting the oppositions knuckles with his face.

17. frontenac1 says:

Sens weren’t that good once you got past their intimidation, and no answer with Prust being hurt. Plus lights out goaltending the die was cast. Marc saw that and dealt with it.with Parros and Murray. Never again amigos.

18. TheMostCupsPeriod says:

doh!

19. TheMostCupsPeriod says:

Pretty much means 2 tickets at $214 apiece would be $430, as I’m a fan of rounding up, as well as the Habs :)

20. TheMostCupsPeriod says:

Hope this is OK….

I finally get to be a season ticket holder!!!
    However, I’m currently exiled somewhere north of loafland, so I need to sell most of the games.
    Would any of you HIO faithful want a pair of sec 223 tickets at pretty much face value plus shipping…
    I finalize Tuesday, and just want to see if I’d be able to move some tickets.
    At this time, all dates are available.
    If there’s interest, I’ll post a contact email.

21. habs11s says:

I miss hockey…. on a better note, i finally can retire my 6 year old laptop and have some better luck streaming NHL games this season!

_____________________________________________________________

22. habsgod says:

I was wondering if any of my fellow habs fans on here buy the sportsforecaster hockey edition(the montreal canadiens )cover edition?…if so i was wondering if anybody would be willing to help me out? i used to order it through xml team glenn gingerich was my friend there and i used to email him every fall when it would come out and i’d send him the money for 2 copies plus shipping plus extra for doing this for me,however this year he no longer works there so i can’t get the canadiens cover edition here in regina! so i was wondering if somebody here would want to do that for me and i’ll do the same as i did for glenn at xml team if you do i’ll give you all of my info mailing address etc and i’ll send you the money for it ,plus shipping plus extra for doing this for me

23. Habitant in Surrey says:

‘Carlyle tired of Leafs being butt of jokes'; Stu Cowan

…Stu rivalling Mike Boone for His sense of humor :)

24. johnnylarue says:

While I find it pretty comical that Gallagher has a “Top 10 Career Goals” highlight reel culled from a “career” that spans all of 50 games, it was fun as hell to watch and to be reminded that this forum wasn’t strictly created to enable discussion on the topics of pizza, craft beer, literature, and supermodels.

Now if you’ll excuse me: DROP DA FRIGGIN’ PUCK ALREADY!!!!

25. Habitant in Surrey says:

‘Markov suffers setback in rehab: Report'; The Gazette, September 14th 2011

…does The Gazette’s HIO editors and production people know about these confusing and unnecessary links from past stories on this page ? …and, if so, WHAT ??? is the purpose for them ?

…they are very disconcerting when first viewed …I try to ignore, but they become very annoying when incessantly reappearing

…to Stu, and HIO’s web nerds; isn’t there a way to eliminate them ?

26. GrosBill says:

Any thoughts on how the Kadri & Franson story will play out for the Leafs? Seems a stretch to me to sign them both with what they have left. I am curious to see how it is resolved.

… and Mario Tremblay and Patrick Roy still haven’t spoken.

28. Price07 says:

Leblanc isn’t on the list?

29. Bill H says:

Tickets go on sale tomorrow:

Anyone interested in splitting a 10 pack?

30. Bripro says:

I was just looking at GrimJim’s rookie list.
    What can anyone tell me about Ben Duffy?

31. savethepuck says:

I just looked at the list of 40 players attending rookie camp. I noticed Louis LeBlanc is not on the list. There are others his age that will be attending.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

32. frontenac1 says:

@epic. OPP? No kidding? Hey was that you that nailed me for………never mind. Saludos!

33. Propwash says:

Wow man, just had a massive storm roll by in Port Saint Lucie, Fla. Never seen lightning that intense before!

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

34. frontenac1 says:

@piper. Diaz and DD for Big John? In a New York minute amigo!

35. Mavid says:

When I saw this list I thought of you Timo…DD cracked the list at 180

Weed Wacker Gramda Smurf

36. Mavid says:

45 min to vacation time..whooohooooo

Weed Wacker Gramda Smurf

37. Habilis says:

Must see: http://youtu.be/sRkcl_RHwoc

Teemu announces his retirement. Sort of. ;)

Good for him, guy’s a freak of nature.

38. Hobie Hansen says:

Chris Nilan is a smart man. He wants Jarred Tinordi in Montreal for the entire season. Agreed my friend.

He’s talking on 690 AM about how pathetic and small the defence looked/played with Gorges, Bouillon, Diaz…

Personally, I’d go with Markov, Subban, Emelin, Murray, Gorges and Tinordi when everyone is healthy.

39. GrimJim says:

Canadiens.com has released the invitees for rookie camp

40. Bripro says:

Why do they always to this when I take the time to write lyrics?
    Oh well….. repost!

I really haven’t had much to say on this site for a while.
    “Don’t worry Brian, neither have most of us….”
    Who said that? How wude, as my grandson would say.
    So, to pass the time until true hockey talk resumes, here’s another lyrical tribute to hockey (Thanks to my pal Jim Habfan 10912), my HIO pals and my favourite night of the week (which has already started elsewhere in the world) .

To the sounds of Men without Hats.

On Friday, a grandson with jeans torn
    On Friday, with hockey blogs all worn
    On Friday

Some Fridays, Habs have made me fly
    Much higher than before
    On Fridays, scotch made me cry
    And made me smile for more
    ‘Cause, buzz is something I adore
    On Fridays

Oh Fridays, you saved my life
    I was nothing but upset
    On Fridays, yet another high
    I was flying on the floor
    ‘Cause, life is something I adore
    On Friday

It was only make believe
    Then along came Friday
    Changed everything
    On Friday

On Friday, I wave goodbye
    I head out into town
    Oh Friday, you save my life
    This night will keep me warm

On Friday, cards make me cry
    Like a child being born
    On Friday, when we’re all high
    I’ll be losing even more
    ‘Cause, poker’s what I adore
    On Friday

Life was only make believe
    Then along came Friday
    Changed everything
    On Friday

On Friday
    On Friday
    On Friday

41. Luke says:

Yahoo. It’s Friday!
    Long weekend too!

For those of us 9-5 working stiffs! Hooray!
    For those of us who work odd shifts, weekends and evenings… ummm… Look at that picture of Hockey Players! Right Turn, boys!
    For those of us retired: Curse you!

Is it drinking o’clock yet?

43. B says:

Any word on which of the pre season games (all of them?) will be shown on RDS?

–Go Habs Go!–

44. Epic says:

I voted for Murray, watching him bouncing Marchand and Kane outta the crease and pounding them if they try to act tough will be a joyous, almost spiritual experience.

45. neumann103 says:

I have been really busy with work and have not checked in much over the last couple of days, but looking at the Poll question:

“Which one of the Canadiens’ offseason acquisitions are you most looking forward to seeing in action?

Daniel Briere
    George Parros
    Douglas Murray

Where is the “None of the above” option

“Et le but!”

• Maritime Ronn says:

The Habs acquired ALL of them for nothing – no player assets, and a 7th round pick for Parros.
      How is that bad if they perform, OR , if MB converts them to some other better assets?

Don’t you believe the smaller guys will play better knowing Parros/Murray have their backs?

• BJ says:

I think all three will bring a contribution and elements last years team was missing.

46. Maritime Ronn says:

Now that that’s out of the way…
    How’s about some hockey talk?

In case anyone has forgotten about the new Division/Conference set-ups, here they are:

Each Division will send its Top 3 to the playoffs (6 in the Conference)…and the other 2 teams that will qualify will be decided by overall Conference standings to make a total of 8.

That means we could see only 3 teams from 1 Division, and 5 teams from the other Division.

While the ‘experts’ get a lot of it right, there are always major surprises.

Looking at just the Eastern Conference:

1) Which teams will qualify?
    2) Which teams will move into the playoffs that were not there last year, and which teams will drop out of the playoffs?
    Standings from last year:

3) Which team will be the biggest surprise?
    4) Which team will be the biggest disappointment?

• Chris says:

I’ll let people laugh at my picks:

1. Playoff picture

Metro: Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Washington
      Atlantic: Boston, Detroit, one of Montreal or Toronto

Wildcards: New York Rangers, one of Montreal or Toronto

2. Not really possible to answer because of realignment.

3. Biggest surprise –> Toronto

Toronto probably gets the nod here because I don’t think anybody should be surprised by Philadelphia returning to the playoffs. Way too much talent no the Flyers, even if Giroux is a late starter.

4. Biggest disappointment –> Islanders, Lightning

I think that a lot of people have the Islanders poised to make the playoffs next season. I don’t see it. Losing Streit is going to be a big blow, but not as big as their questionable goaltender. Nabokov is 38 years old, and their defence is even worse than it was last season.

The Lightning have some high-profile names (Stamkos, St. Louis), but they’re in transition. The loss of Lecavalier really hurts them, and Bishop is no more of a known quantity than Lindback was last year.

• JF says:

What about Ottawa?

• Chris says:

I think the loss of Alfredsson is going to be huge for them. That team is REALLY young, and Alfredsson was their everything: face of the franchise, captain, mentor, leader. A healthy Spezza and Michalek make up for his offence and then some, but I just don’t see Ottawa maintaining their form from last season unless Anderson stands on his head two years in a row, which is a lot to ask.

But Ottawa has the brightest future of the three eastern Canadian teams, even with my projected bump in the road.

47. sweetmad says:

I don’t know why, anybody should worry about PK,on the big ice, he is more used to it than most of the other players.It is not so long ago he was in the WJC and played with the Bulls on the big ice.They should be more worried about the other players keeping up with him on the big ice.

As for Carey,we don’t have to worry about him either,to say he is not able to get his head round the pressure forget it,no one else in the league has had more pressure than CP,and he is still alive and kicking.

Carey knows he was not at his best at the end of last season,he had enough character to admit it,so he will have enough character to overcome it.

Both our stars will play themselves onto the team by Christmas,no problem.
    GO HABS GO

48. Maritime Ronn says:

@wjc.

At the end of the last thread, you mocked, from my point of view, a wonderful poster on this site with the handle ” HabinBurlington” because of some post concerning Habs sweaters, and then China production.

I am not quite sure what your overall agenda is on this site – such as the bashing, and being condescending towards gentleman Ian Cobb and his great insights towards concussions and some personal experiences….because that is wrong – even in a ‘free speech’ society!

Therefore wjc, some friendly questions concerning your unwarranted brush off of great poster HabinBurlington and your China Theory:

Have you ever done business in China?
    Real business?

Have you been there?
    If so, how many times?
    Where?

Have you been in a factory and actually experienced the so called “Sweat Shop” working for pennies environment you posted?
    If so, which factory?

Have you or your company ever imported from there?
    Have you ever talked with some Chinese people?
    Have you ever received an invite and dined with them in their homes?

Tell me about your political contacts….unless you believe that doing business there is not necessary to have political contacts.
    ——
    A tiny Caveat – be careful with your answer.
    There just may be a few people on this site that have actual business experiences in China – that may have been there – that know how it works.

• Whatever says:

I’ve had their Dinner for Two.

• Ron says:

Ronn from the real Ron :D, your taking your self down a one way road bud. Check for guard rails.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hey Ron
        Ian Cobb is the salt of the earth, and Burli is a great poster with wonderful insights.
        That’s why I went there…
        :-)

• Bripro says:

No disagreeing with your motives Ron(n), but arguing with WJC or whatever his acronym initials are, is like standing at the ends of the earth yelling out questions in search of logical answers.
          They’re not coming buddy…. don’t bother.

• Ron says:

Ronn,what Bri is saying is what I meant, his is more to the point and spelled out..

• bwoar says:

For the record I completely agree with wjc about concussions. This site boasts the whiniest thin-skin brigade when it comes to head injuries in general in any sport.

I respect the efforts of those trying to lessen them in the game, I’m just board to tears with the giant self-congratulatory round of applause each and every time someone brings it up. We get it, OK? But listen, posting on HIO isn’t gonna reduce concussions in hockey. I want to make that clear since it seems like it is not.

Also, flap China and flap doing business there. And flap anyone who’s ever been there for any reason. You all give the rest of the world cancer, and are responsible for all the lost socks and dirty diapers left on all the beaches and barbecues in the Western Hemisphere. May your children grow tumorous gonads and may your ancestors haunt you at night. Gosh dang it. I had to edit the language to get past the censors. So there’s already a bit of China right here on HIO. The next time there’s a war, you won’t even know it. It’ll be all over and the headline will read “VICTORY FOR CHINA” in all the newspapers and it’ll be YOUR kids working for 13 cents a day. Get ahead in life? Sure, sure, go to China like a sucker. You kill us a little each time. And you have the nerve to call someone else out for being disrespectful? That my man is a bizarre sense of reality. I’m outta here.

“thoroughbred”

49. Habsrule1 says:

I kinda agree with Timo. Saying that you’re more excited to see Briere play than Murray, or even Parros is a bit surprising to me. I’m curious about Briere, I guess, but I really want to see how Murray’s style of play helps the team, especially Price if he clears the net and strikes just a bit of fear into opponents, much like I think Emelin did a little.

Go Habs Go!!

• Chips says:

Probably because Briere has talent.

25 in 2014

• Habsrule1 says:

I guess, but I think he’s going to be a similar player that we already have, which is great, but the other 2 are things this team has been seriously lacking for a while.

To each his own I guess. I hope they all prove very valuable.

Go Habs Go!!

50. Habitant in Surrey says:

…watched the 2009 WJHC’s Christmas Eve game, USA vs Canada on TSN 2 last night

…including SubbyDoo on D

…was close to what a heroin user in the midst of withdrawal must feel like when given a hit of methadone

…the hockey ‘sweats’ went into remission for a couple hours

…can’t wait to start reading about Our Boyz beginning to trickle in for training camp, pre-season games, and finally …the Real Thang …mmmm …bliss !

…at least until Our first loss and We become an army of Timos :)

51. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I voted for Parros

…the first one I want to see Him pulverize is Briere

• Habilis says:

I too voted for Parros.

I’m more excited to watch a heavyweight throw his gloves off than an undersized, overage forward who might score a few goals.

Murray is just a puzzle piece, IMO, but I’m still more excited to see him clear a crease than I am to see Briere score.

Does wanting to see violence over goals make a bad person? Maybe. But considering how banged up last year’s team ended the season, I’ll take some violence over pretty much anything Briere can do.

• Luke says:

I voted Briere.
        1) I’m predicting he plays with Eller & Galchenyuk.
        2) I think that’ll be awesome!

However, what I like about Parros is we’ll finally have the nutbar on the bench who loses it and reacts with terrible fury when one of our guys is unduly maligned.
        Just to see that unhinged anger will be nice for a change…

Nothing about Murray’s game makes me want to watch it. Oh, I’m happy he is on the team, and we need a guy like him as well, but his game isn’t exactly high theatre.

• habstrinifan says:

You’re a sick man! LOL!

52. DAVE. N says:

4 votes and Douglas Murray leads! Well now…..tells ya no one looking for a goal or a fight!

53. myron.selby says:

What I love about wjc is you never which flavor you’ll get on any particular day. There’s the troll wjc (albeit a very strange troll) one that is so obviously trying to get a rise out of people that it often winds up being humorous.

Then there’s the wjc that offers some fairly interesting insights into the game and its various aspects.

I wonder if maybe he doesn’t have password protection on his computer or …

54. Habsrule1 says:

I see NHL.com knows more about PK that TSN does. If PK is not in the top 6 in Sochi, there is seriously something wrong with the staff leading this team.

Go Habs Go!!

• DAVE. N says:

Unless it’s from Toronto, TSN doesn’t know much of anything around the leagues..

• Habsrule1 says:

Is it really even a debate though? Is Team Canada management worried about PK….whether it be about him taking too many risks or affecting team chemistry?

What do you guys think? I think it’s ridiculous. He’s one of the best all-around defensemen in the game.

Go Habs Go!!

• DAVE. N says:

more and more, when I listen to the debates, I sense that the concern is his risk taking; We all know that he likes to make the big hit, or the fast outbreaks; both of which on Olympic size rinks can really pull the rest of the team out of position to cover for an error.
          With a team like Canada will be icing, in that larger ice surface, there may very well be a cause for concern. Positional strategy may be needed to counter the experience of European players. IMO

• bwoar says:

It’s a reasonable concern, I guess, for some. But if I needed to score, just had to, with 30 secs to go – I want PK SUBBAN on and forget the Steady Eddies and Safety Sallys.

I don’t have a lot of faith in the Team Canada braintrust if they’re committed to playing safe. Playing it safe is for the Swiss, or the Russians, or the Czechs. Playing balls-out, take no prisoners hockey and damn-the-torpedos-it’s-ramming-speed — THAT is Canada on ice and it’s the identity I want to see on the roster. Can’t think of a better player to exemplify this than #76.

“thoroughbred”

• Habsrule1 says:

What you say makes perfect sense. I guess if he can continue his progress and make calculated risks and weigh the risk vs reward correctly, he should be given a spot on the team.

I’ll be so dissapointed if he’s not there. He’s one of the biggest reasons to watch, in my opinion.

Go Habs Go!!

• Luke says:

I think PK’s biggest issue is the amount of minor penalties he takes. Many of which are absolute head shakers.

He cleans that up in the first 3 months of the season, while continuing to play at the elite level, he should be a no brainer.