Hockey Inside/Out special section

Every month during the hockey season, The Gazette publishes a special Hockey Inside/Out print section. It hit news stands Tuesday, and here are the links to the stories in the section:

Gionta shows captain’s pedigree

Turgeon has found Hab memories: Ian MacDonald

All-star game had stick-swinging start: Dave Stubbs

Laviolette climbs coaching mountain: Red Fisher

Sirois spices discrimination debate: Stephanie Myles

City’s hockey atmosphere envelops Danish rookie: Kevin Mio

Overlooked Shero worthy of Hall

Conditioning critical for Allard: Pat Hickey

JD’s Canadiens fandom never flags: Mike Boone

1. Mattyleg says:

Haha!!

Bettman’s going to have a conniption!! Someone calling out his babies. Pittsburgh has always been a sore-point for me, having sucked harder than a fat kid on a gobstopper for so long and being congratulated with a fistful of top players, then being touted as the darlings of the ‘new’ NHL. Gimme a break.

I’m sure Lunny’s going to have to suck up a fine, and apologise to Campbell (which will be rich, considering…) and things will go back to the way they are.

And as for Chris Lee… euchh. I’m not sure who said it, but some colour commentator claimed that Lee doesn’t miss calls, he ‘sees too much’ and calls ALL of it. My advice to him is to grow a chin. And then a moustache. I’ve always thought moustaches are pivotal in helping make good referees.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

2. Matt_in_TO says:

Not sure if anyone else has seen this but King Henrik is bitching about the officiating in last nights Pit/Nyr game and even hinted at the possibility that the Pens are favored by the league.  Not really what I’m sure the NHL wants to be hearing especially after the Campbell story.

“I’d
    like to see the penalty record the last five years in Pittsburgh,” said
    an annoyed Lundqvist, who was brilliant throughout the match. “We’re
    shorthanded so many times in Pittsburgh and it’s definitely not our
    fault.”

First thing I thought of was Chris Lee’s goal wave off last season.

- In Price We Trust

3. Mattyleg says:

Great Spatch pic!!

Hahahaha!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

4. nick says:

Habs don’t have 7 million.

Markov needs to be put on IR first – which hasn’t happend, even when he does I believe CH only get 50% of the players cap hit back. Add that to the 1.5 or so still free and MTL has about 4 million give or take a couple hundred thousand.

5. sholi2000.com says:

2010 Summit Pic

They Call Me Shane

6. JIMVINNY says:

Here’s my take on the Markov situation.  If he’s not bady hurt, shut him down for however long it’s going to take for him to be totally healthy, be it 3 weeks or 3 months.  If he is truly badly injured, again, shut him down for however long it takes for him to be totally healthy, even if that means we don’t see him until this time next year.  If that is the case, though, now is the the time to start talking long-term contract extension.  Sign him until he’s 40, even if we’re not sure how long he will actually play.

I don’t believe a 2 or 3 year deal, to test his health, is the right answer.  He might end up coming back at 100%, and pricing himself out of our range during that time.  On the other hand, if we do sign him to an 8 year, 36 million dollar deal, what’s the worst that can happen?  He can’t play due to continuing injuries, and is forced to retire.  At that point, I think we’ve got ourselves a perfect assistant coach.  if he is able to play, then we still have one of the best offensive d-men in the league locked up for the rest of his career.

7. TB says:

for sure at least Jumbo Joe gets points in the playoffs

8. Mattyleg says:

Pity, I’m sure we could’ve got Kaberle for O’Byrne, Moen, and a 3rd-rounder that Burkie could use to draft a meat-truck 3rd-liner.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

9. longtimehabsfan says:

This morning he stated some very specific medical terms that he could only have obtained from a copy of a medical report such as an MRI film review.  [I'm a personal injury defense lawyer and have dealt with many knee injury cases]  Either he obtained a bogus report or a copy of the actual report.  Habs are probably not being forthcoming with their MRI story.

Dave – It was all meant to be in good fun.  I’m just thankful I didn’t get into the hard stuff with you and Ian at the bar a week earlier. That could have been fatal.   Besides, discussing Scott Gomez always brings out the best in me:-)

You should have been here in the days when Samsonov was a Hab.  Then you really would have seen the dark side of me.

BTW, it appears that we’re having an indoor recess (on H I/O) after reading some of the other posts and replies.  Lots of spit balls being tossed around.

11. Mattyleg says:

Yeah, I getcha. I kind of figured that as I was posting it.

The OB trade probably wouldn’t have happeed, you’re right, but as I said, I’m looking forward to seeing some young d-men get a crack. AND dreading it, if you know what I mean…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

12. Hobie Hansen says:

I think Burke would do anything for a 1st rounder, I wouldn’t want to give the Leafs that satisfaction though. Not sure I’d cough up a 1st rounder for Kaberle either? If we were talking about Luke Schen I’d give them a 1st rounder.

13. sholi2000.com says:

Thoughts By Jaroslav Halak

I feel bad for this guy, but that’s business.

Thoughts by Jaroslav SPacek

They Call Me Shane

M39 – I’d rather have Satan or Guerin!!!

On a serious note, Iginla has another two years left at 7M a season.  That would probably mean the end of Markov in Montreal.  I also wonder what Calgary would want in return.  If not Subban, then they certainly would want two of Tinordi, Leblanc or Kristo.  We might also have to throw in the rights for Terry Ryan:-)

Subban for Iginla = Iginla for Nieuwendyk?

15. SeriousFan09 says:

Koivu’s knee was never the same after his surgeries, Selanne’s knee returned to the point where he had two 40-goal seasons post-lockout. We really don’t know until it gets done, if it has to be done.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

16. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Nothing wrong with your opinion.  You could be right.  Knee injuries are tricky.  Some guy’s get their knees rebuilt and come back strong as ever and good as new and play fine.  But sometimes a guy get’s a wonky knee and it screw’s his career.  It’s happened before.

It’s Picard’s time to step up for sure and I’m 100% behind him.

SK riddled one of my posts with a few nice words from the barrel of his keyboard a while back. I guess what goes around comes around. Rock-Paper-Scissors?

19. SLONCOLD says:

the stall hit on markov was knee/thigh hit. When ever you get hit that way you’re alwasy vulnerable to a knee injury regardless if the knee was operated on or even if you’re wearing a brace. it’s really just a sucky situation.

team 990 says it’s a partial tear in his acl which menisucs and mcl damage, which is really bad… it means the hamstring replacement might have to be redone.

20. SeriousFan09 says:

Markov was injured in April, had surgery in May and had 5 months of recovery time. Markov is pretty dedicated to conditioning and rehab when he has to come back (Returned from his tendon injury early) and I’d say maybe he came back a couple of weeks early but he was playing like himself really last week. It does look bad but the Habs were still winning without Markov and he felt he was ready to go and the doctors cleared him.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

21. Drive_For_25 says:

We’re looking to go in the RIGHT direction here.  Semin is useless when it counts.

22. smiler2729 says:

Whatever the time frame, the fact is Markov’s out for awhile again and there’s no use thinking the sky is fallin’ cuz this team has played more without him than with him and went to within a sniff of the Finals last season.

Unless help in a trade comes cheap which is doubtful since Gord Stellick isn’t a GM anymore, let’s get behind Alex Picard and see what he can do.

23. sholi2000.com says:

No official word from the team.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

They Call Me Shane

I never said to replace Markov. I meant as a 7th D man. Habs are down to 6 now. I like the Bournival kid. I think if the trade didn’t happen before this injury it wouldn’t have happened at all is all I am saying.

25. SeriousFan09 says:

Why do we want a playoff ghost? Might as well see if SJ will trade Chokin’ Joe despite his new extension while we’re at it.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

26. sholi2000.com says:

What’s a Troll, I haven’t seen them since the Devils game.  In fact, some of them are now Price fans lol

Typical Right On Loving Losers

-1 to the Wiz

They Call Me Shane

Regardless of what any doctor says, remember they cleared him to play which in my opinion was premature, this injury looks bad. As a Habs fan I’d prefer an uninjured Markov to most other defensemen. However the same knee twice, after he came back maybe 2 months too soon. Sorry. It looks bad. It appears to be season ending and it could be career ending. Just my opinion. I will wait for the doctor reports as we all are, but in the mean time I think it’s fair to look at other options. Other options should be considered even if Markov comes back. That’s my opinion.

28. andrewberkshire says:

Dropped in the pecking order? That’s why he was the last Hamilton bound defensemen left in camp this year?

Rob – “Change is inevitable. Change is constant.”  And so it goes.

Steve (aka Link Dink:-)

30. smiler2729 says:

Just thought I should point out that ‘dumbies’ is actually spelled ‘dummies’… look it up.

31. Mikey_39 says:

Iginla!  How good would he look in our top 6?  Plus he’s used to the more gritty style of the West so he wouldn’t get pushed around come playoffs.  He needs a change of scenery and better linemates which he isn’t getting in Calgary.  I think a player like him would thrive in Montreal.

32. andrewberkshire says:

O’Byrne doesn’t help replace anything Markov brought, so the trolls weren’t right at all.

33. krob1000 says:

seems to be the theme on here so I thought I’d make him my Smid, sucker punchline him and get the hell out of dodge!  Now that you are here to intervene I’ll pretend to want to exchange with him (bring it on Kerley)…I’ll give you one guess at who my role model is!

34. samTHEman says:

I’d take him in a heartbeat but I think Burke would ask for pieces that will help him now, and who do the Habs give back? Gomez? :P

35. samTHEman says:

Enough to sign Semin with Hamrlik’s 5.5 out the window come July 1st :D

36. Mattyleg says:

Easy on the bandwagon-jumping, HH! You’re starting to look a trifle Todd-ish.

OB was never going to play up to potential here, I don’t think. He needed a change of air, and I hope he does well, although I’ve had a gut feeling about him that his head wasn’t in the right place. He did a lot of psych-work over the summer apparently, but I don’t know… not convinced that he’d be the man to replace Markov.

It’s too early in the season to make a move for a big-name defenceman. It’s rookie time, and I’m looking forward to seeing some of them play.

And as for the trolls… they’re never right. Just more annoying.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

37. samTHEman says:

that you’re a dumbass? i thought that was blatantly clear enough.

38. krob1000 says:

geez 24 you are getting lazier than Alex Kovalev on a forecheck….I remember when you used to write the previews…with information that was useful and interesting….now your just a link dink!

So the Habs have around 7 million in cap space now?

Who do the Habs try and get their hands on as there is no replacement in the pipes for Markov, yet.

I’d love to see them make a play for Wisniewski.

In other news that OB trade is looking a bit premature too.

Don’t you hate it when the trolls are right?

40. wild flower says:

Not sure Red. I’m more impressed with Martin than Laviollette. My wife could probably coach the Flyers to victory. Coaching a bunch of smurfs, a headcase goalie, headcase leftwinger, rookie superstar (in his own mind) dman, a gimpy best player and a washed up a 24 former first rounder to the record the Habs have is much more impressive.

41. Hobie Hansen says:

I agree 100%

42. samTHEman says:

From the most reliable source in hockey via Twitter.

TSNBobMckenzie 10 Hours ago:

“No one will know exact prognosis on Andrei Markov’s knee injury until he
    sees Dr. Tony Miniaci of Cleveland Clinic, probably on Wed or Thur.”

Just thought I should point that out for you dumbies who listen and believe everything Tony Marinara has to say, and feel the need to bring his junk over here.

43. LA Loyalist says:

Geez how about we don’t have the funeral before the body is cold?

There will be a diagnosis and a prognosis and we will cross that bridge when we get to it.

For the moment we have the cheese steaks to play. focus!

44. Hobie Hansen says:

So I hear Burke wants to get rid of Kaberle in Toronto…

TSN game preview.

Faceoff Flyer stat page.  Check out Claude Giroux (10/11/21/5/3/3/+7).

SB Nation Flyer blog page

46. samTHEman says:

We got signed him as a free agent from the NCAA at the end of March this year.

Solid 2G 5A  +4 in 14GP in his 1st year in Hamilton. 6’3″ 206lbs.

I didn’t know much about him till last night when someone, i forget who, pointed him out to me.

He’s 23. I don’t know much more about his style of play. He had a decent camp I think..

47. Corio says:

I don’t like being negative but I really feel he is close to ending his career.  There is only so much the knee can take and after two consecutive injuries to the same tendon it is becoming exponentially weaker/looser each time.  Another thing going against him is his age, the older you get the slower you heal and recover.  I feel really bad for him.. it’s the Markov Curse!

48. joeybarrie says:

Uh Oh now we have too many. Trade one….

Your right I DID forget about Nash.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

49. Mattyleg says:

Thanks for getting the point of my joke, mate.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

50. Mattyleg says:

Yeah, really.

It’s pretty clear that teams seem to fade late in the 3rd in a back-to-backer. Cammy said that it’s hard to get to sleep after playing a game and then travelling home. I can totally understand that, and it means that you’re not nearly as sharp on the next day.

Perhaps that says more about Jason York’s work ethic in the first game of the double! ;-)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

24 just got drive-by posted.

52. Habs Proud says:

53. smiler2729 says:

Is Nash a defenceman? If he is, cool, I forgot about him, didn’t he have decent camp?

54. joeybarrie says:

I guess this type of thing falls under the – http://habsinsideout.com/main/39773 – Article posted here yesterday by someone who looks an awful lot like you…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

55. Mattyleg says:

Hey man, chill out. I was making a joke. I do that.

Nobody said anyone sucked. Except you.

I’m not picking fights, I’m making a comment about how it’s awfully quiet after a bad night by players who people (trolls) on this site mindlessly boost. In a humorous way.

What I suggest you do, in the future, is have a think about things that people post in general before telling them to ‘grow up’.

Honestly.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

56. Dave Stubbs says:

No official word from the team.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

57. samTHEman says:

Just like Streit. He was awful in his first seasons as a Hab. All of the sudden he starting amassing plenty of points, not only on the PP, and then became our PP specialist. Weber plays a very similar game. I’m not saying he will develop into the versatile Mark Streit that we know. I think Weber will service an NHL club somewhere in his career, just not the Montreal Canadiens, especially behind Martin’s defensive minded bench….i really doubt it.

LMAO, Tommy.  Maybe Subban can cut out the palms of his gloves while we’re at it!

59. joeybarrie says:

That’s what they said about DARCHE by the way….Also Weber is only 22, Picard is 25. I don’t think we have given up on Weber, I think we will still see him in the NHL. Prob in a Habs uniform, but possibly in a trade too. However, he is pretty highly regarded, and has been said to have the potential to be elite. He is pretty good on the PP, and I think you will see him as part of the Habs plans in the future. He is young and has limited North american Hockey experience.

The point is we still have prospects to cover ourselves. We will do just fine without McDonagh, and got a pretty good return for him in Pyatt. Someone we have been using consistently ever since…

Everyone was upset we gave up our TOP PROSPECT. He hasn’t played a game in the NHL yet and we still got some guys who will come up. Tinordi I think will be a great defender. PK is still young, so is Gorges and it looks like Picard might be a winner too. 3 players who can be here for the next 10 years and 3 solid prospects in the tank. How much more do we need?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

60. Propwash says:

Is that an official statement from the team? Chances are its speculation, wait till the team officially announces what markovs situation is.

61. Julie H says:

Neuh. Pleks is ok. Based off of looks alone, my picks are: Cammi, Eller, Pyatt and Gorges.

“I know you’re wise beyond your years, but do you ever get the fear that your perfect verse is just a lie you tell yourself to help you get by?”

62. SeriousFan09 says:

So because his season and career are over, a team is going to take him? Dumbest post of the day, congratulations.

I didn’t realise Tony Marinaro had been appointed as Markov’s doctor, granted after he consulted his pharmacist last season to talk about Markov’s back problem I guess he’s really applied himself to use even more questionable sources to diagnose player injuries.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

63. samTHEman says:

Don’t forget Brendon Nash at 6’3″ +7 and 7pts in 14GP this season.

64. Caballero says:

The way Halak does is irrelevent at this point. Price has, for now, proven that he can play well in this league. Anything can happen obviously, but hey that goes for Halak as well. If we could predict the future accurately we wouldn’t watch sports. But continuting to follow Halak closely is just sentimental and nostalgic to me. Obviously, I think we should have gotten a little more for him on principle, but then apparently we got all we could given the market. Or so certain media memebers would have us believe.

Good answer Tommy!

66. Hobie Hansen says:

Again, it’s just an opinion. The Canadiens don’t seem very high on him. He’s got some offensive upside but is small and doesn’t take too well to the speed and toughness of the NHL.  He seemed to have dropped in the pecking order.

67. andrewberkshire says:

How exactly has he missed his window? He was drafted 3 years ago. Most defensemen take 3-5 years to develop.

68. joeybarrie says:

I agree with Price being the better goalie when it comes to the long haul. HOWEVER, Halak has absolutely proved to his doubters EVERY STEP of the way. That’s why I watch Blues games from time to time, I like to see him doing well. Plus I like D’AGS.

Price was the better move during the off season given the situation and he is proving PG correct. Price has one thing that Halak does not…. PRICE IS THE GOALIE FOR THE MONTREAL CANADIENS. Halak is not. I love Kovy, but I want his team to lose. I love Koivu, but I want his team to have less success than ours…

I have to say, a trip to the Conf Finals, and Lars Eller is a pretty good return on a 9th round investment.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

69. Hobie Hansen says:

Well I can tell you that Webber missed his window for the Habs. If O’Byrne was sitting in the press box before he got traded and Picard is called up to replace Markov, I think the Habs are done giving Webber a shot. Most people have completely forgotten about him…

70. SmartDog says:

She has it for Gorges too. Add Plekanec and you have a perfect trifecta. Uh… apparently.

———

‘The purpose of Habs Inside/Out is to teach people how to spell “traditional”.’
    And Bonne! goes the dynamite!

71. SeriousFan09 says:

I just mentioned two in the 2nd half of my post, Sundin was definitely going to be a Hab and so was Hossa. Oh well, seems that ‘reliable soruces’ aren’t always reliable.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

72. joeybarrie says:

I saw the Ryan McDonagh prospect article posted below. My opinion on that is simply this:

-Tom Pyatt 73 games played, McDonagh ZERO…

-In our system currently……..Jared Tinordi, Yannick Weber, and Mathieu Carle.

-From that draft year………….PK Subban, Aaron Pulashaj, and Yannick Weber.

We are fine, and didn’t waste anything.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

I knew that J.D. was nearly as intelligent as myself.!!

I just love his comments on here, and at the way he expresses himself with words. He has taught me much! But hot damn! he is long winded. I have to learn how to become a speed reader, but alas, then I remember nothing of what I read.

Keep them coming J.D., I read you every day my friend.

Ian

74. Say Ash says:

“I remember a few other gems Team 990 gave us over the years”

I’d love to hear some

Hockey Inside/Out special section

Our second Hockey Inside/Out section of the year was published in Tuesday’s Gazette. Here are links to the stories from our hockey experts, Red Fisher, Pat Hickey, Dave Stubbs, Mike Boone and Kevin Mio, as well as several other writers.

Red Fisher: Time to reunite Habs’ Punch line
Dave Stubbs:
Padding goalie stats no longer an option
Pat Hickey: Cardiac Habs defy the odds