Hockey Inside/Out special section

Every month during the hockey season, The Gazette publishes a special Hockey Inside/Out print section. It hit news stands Tuesday, and here are the links to the stories in the section:

Gionta shows captain’s pedigree

Turgeon has found Hab memories: Ian MacDonald

All-star game had stick-swinging start: Dave Stubbs

Laviolette climbs coaching mountain: Red Fisher

Sirois spices discrimination debate: Stephanie Myles

City’s hockey atmosphere envelops Danish rookie: Kevin Mio

Overlooked Shero worthy of Hall

Conditioning critical for Allard: Pat Hickey

JD’s Canadiens fandom never flags: Mike Boone

1. Rob says:

In fairness to Timo, he has been nothing but a model citizen since his reinstatement, and i think most would have a hard time finding a reasonable example of an inappropriate, or even irritating, post since he returned.  You won me over when i met you in person, Timo, but i have to reiterate….I like your online persona INFINITELY more in your second go around on this site.  Kudos to you for that my friend!

Maybe it’s just my “teacher side” coming out, but i think it’s worthwhile noticing when posters make an effort to change their posting habits in a positive way.  Timo and HH are probably the best two examples i can think of on this front.

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

2. Everlasting1 says:

Trolls are in the eye of an ogre. Enjoy the moment.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

I’ve got a used tank schtick for sale!!

Actually it’s around 5 million give or take. 😉 Thanks for clarifying the rule though.

5. KenD29 says:

Guess time will tell!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

6. smiler2729 says:

I guess we’ll know how bad and how long after his Cleveland Clinic visit tomorrow or Thursday… no matter what RDS or Team990 are saying now.

7. SeriousFan09 says:

By Tony “Reliable Sources” Marinaro, excuse me while I remember a few other gems Team 990 gave us over the years.

By the way, does anyone know the final word on why our center Mats Sundin retired and why Hossa left us in free agency afer we traded for him at the deadline to go to Detroit?

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

8. RiverviewCanadien says:

Andrew, really?

Why troll like that?

9. matraque says:

And that is not trolling?

Saying that Halak save% might be higher then Price is not trolling… IMO, it’s an opinion.

Just sayin…

Price is doing great so far, let’s not jinx it.

——

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

10. KenD29 says:

Being reported all morning on Team990 that it is torn and he will be going back under the knife.

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

11. mike g says:

Like we both just said, we’ve likely seen the best of him…

And that’s my point.

It’s sad, because he has all the tools to be awsome. Now, he might return and be very good.

But never will be the awsome guy we had, and were supposed to have, throughout his career.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

Khe… you wouldn’t complain about that.

13. TommyB says:

How about Carl Brewer?

14. andrewberkshire says:

Or we could go into the dramatics and make asses out of ourselves and get banned yearly.

I suppose we should all bow down for the invaluable contributions you are making and keeping this site alive. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! What would the world be without heroes like you.

16. SeriousFan09 says:

Might not be THAT bad, could be anger that he knows it’s bad (can’t be sure how bad) and he just got back in, he wanted to play so badly and then that stupid knee hit by Staal ruined his comeback season. I still think strained ligaments, can’t imagine him putting any weight on that leg considering the pain if the ACL was torn like last time when he didn’t dare put any weight on it at all.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

Lundquist got a penalty for doing exactly that last night. He is right, Pens are being favoured. Welcome to the Habs’ world.

18. andrewberkshire says:

I know exactly what you were getting at, and I’m ignoring it. Your shtick gets very old sometimes. Contribute nothing, criticize everything and everyone.

19. SeriousFan09 says:

He was hard to watch in his first 3-4 games back at times, than in the past week he started to assert his more dominant self in those games. He was missing conditioning and the accilimation of training camp + pre-season but he was playing at a level where you could see he was on the way back to being his old self. It’s too early to pull a 7-game sample and say “well he’s definitely not going to get any better from this point on”. It was the same last season as his play had high and low points as he was battling with conditoning he was lacking after being laid up for months.

He can’t just recapture a great skating stride that he had already been forced to readjust after a tendon injury, than months later having a major knee injury and surgery. The season was going to be a healing process for him adjusting himself to his new situation. I don’t think it’s as bad as doomsayers suggest, it certainly does look bad waiting this long for definitive news but it still could be strained ligaments.

Have we likely seen Markov’s best? Unfortunately that’s likely but I think he’s being sold short. Hockey sense is too strong and his technical skills are too impressive to discount his end coming this early.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

Sigh… nevermind, dude

21. Omit says:

Trolls are always wrong.

22. andrewberkshire says:

And you don’t like it when the team gets better? Or makes the right personnel decisions? Get off that high horse Timo, don’t wanna fall off and hurt yourself.

23. smiler2729 says:

The most telling moment was when Markov punched the boards after going down… body language says a lot, he knows his own body, he knows he’s done for a long while and he knows he’ll never be the same afterwards…

of course you do

We have plenty of depth inside our organisation.

No need to go outside.! And get someone else’s rejects.

There is not one decent D man available in the league anyway.

We have plenty of people to carry the day.

26. gregg says:

Their contracts are not comparable at all, Kaberle comes cheap at 4.25M.

What’s that tooting sound I hear?

28. mike g says:

Ok, here’s my unnoficial take on the situation….

Andrei Markov is gone.

Plain and simple, the elite and once most dominant player in a Habs uniform is gone. That’s talking about his tenure in MTL, not all-time for the franchise.

I’m not Mr. Negative. I don’t like to come here and spew out a bunch of bs, rumors, or stuff that will get you guys all mad. That’s useless talk and wasted time. But, I’m a realist.

There’s no exact diagnosis on his injury, is that a positive or a negative? In my books, that’s a definite negative, simply based on Markov’s recent situation. Here’s why…

If this was not a serious injury, we’d know already. It doesn’t take 7 MRI’s and 12 doctors to diagnose a bruised muscle. And what makes it worse, is that it’s his 3rd serious injury in 2 years. Not a great career path..

Anyways, what I’m trying to get at is this: forget about the old Markov.

If he comes back, with the Habs or not, this guy will never, ever be the same. It’s a shame, because I enjoyed so much watching him pick apart other teams with his slick passes and long breakouts. And what allowed him to do that was his hockey sense and his ability to be very mobile. Defend his medical history all you want, but he will not be capable of doing that at the same level as he once was. Not saying he’s made of glass, but blowing the same knee out twice in less than a year is never something positive.

We saw it this year after it happened for the 1st time, he wasn’t the same. Sure he was getting better, his timing was coming along and he was improving our PP alot, slowly, but he helped. But this years Markov wasn’t the Markov we’ve known. If you watched closely, he wasn’t able to pivot very quickly, he wasn’t very agressive when chasing pucks, and you could tell his feet/knee movements were not quick at all. He looked very choppy on the ice, as if he was digging into every stride. Not smooth like he once was.

Now with this second setback, I’m not encouraged to see how Markov version 3.0 will look. He will likely be less stable, more scared to injure it again, and less confident in his abilities to do what he once did with ease.

Here’s a defenseman who we all know was among the elite and capable of controlling a game. Notice how that last sentence is in the past tence, because we won’t see it again. His prime is over, he’s had 3 major injuries in a very short period of time, the NHL is being played at faster speeds than ever, etc…

Can he regain his form and become our best defenseman again? Maybe, it’s a possibility.

But, will he ever become the BEST version of Andrei Markov that he was supposed to be? Not likely.

We should have been able to enjoy him, and he should have been able to thrive as an elite defenseman in the league for a period of 6-7 years, or in other words his prime. We saw 2 of those years, the next 3 including this year will be spent rehabbing major injuries, and then he will have 1 or 2 prime years left. And after suffering such crutial injuries in his prime, he’s lucky if he’s able to regain his prime form.

Too bad for everyone invloved, because this guy was a gem and a wonder to watch.

Here’s to hoping he recovers well, and can one day return to our lineup and succeed…..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

29. andrewberkshire says:

I like it when our team makes the right decision, and I love it when the trolls are wrong.

Selanne took a year off. It’s all about rehab. It appears Markie could’ve used more. Also Markov has had three similar accidents in the sense the he got injured from getting hit while akwardly positioned around the boards. Grabovski, Moore and Staal. Is it a trend? Even if Markov comes back is every game going to be the next big one? It got to be the same thing with Eric Lindros. It was like how long until he gets another hit to the head. That’s my concern now.

Haha… For some reason I had Cartman’s voice do “I hate you guys”.

32. Hobie Hansen says:

None of that makes any sense…sorry

33. shiram says:

But that leaves us with only one top 2 center in Plekanec, and while we have alot of depth in centers, none really qualify for top spots.

Also Kaberle has a 4.25 million  cap hit, and a ntc as well.

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

Fan Summit Updates–More Pictures By 4 Different Peoples. Click Here

You can leave your pictures on the summit page also.

35. andrewberkshire says:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a game that enraged me more than that one. The worst part was Montreal outplayed Carolina all game.

36. SeriousFan09 says:

Dude, SmartDog is already the designated “Get Gomez out of town in every post I make” commenter. Find your own shtick, he had it first.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

so, you like being right?

38. LA Loyalist says:

Samsonov makes Gomez look useful. And that’s something coming from me, the leader of the nOmez fan club.

39. LA Loyalist says:

“Link Dink” ? That’s fabulous. Can we steal without attribution?

40. andrewberkshire says:

In case anyone hadn’t noticed yet, Price’s save % is now higher than Halak’s. Not sure if it’ll finish the season that way, but several people ripped me apart over suggesting two weeks ago that they would have similar statistics very soon.

41. krob1000 says:

I did not see anything wrong with the Campbell emails…..trying to make a story out of nothing is all I saw with regards to those personally.

42. Mattyleg says:

Yes, that was one of my favourites.

It gave me a warm feeling inside.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

43. LA Loyalist says:

Gomez and picks for Iginla. No way we are giving up PK. Iginla has been pretty consistent but Sutter would put anyone in the ditch.

44. SeriousFan09 says:

Still, nothing tops the lopsided 11-1 penalties ratio we faced on the road V Carolina in 08-09, worst officiating ever. Was starting to wish our guys would pull a Rocket on the officials.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

45. andrewberkshire says:

He definitely has a right to complain, the Penguins had 6 powerplays to the Rangers ZERO last night.

46. LA Loyalist says:

God yes. Schenn. Burke and Wilson screw with his head, but he has talent.

47. SeriousFan09 says:

Remember Sid breaking his stick on the net in the playoffs and throwing it? No way in hell a Hab could do that and not get penalized.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

48. LA Loyalist says:

Yes Gomez.

a) Leafs need someone to get the puck to Kessle

b) Burke hates Kaberle

c) their contracts are roughly comparable (one of you guys will know)

d) Burke needs to look like he’s doing something so he can go blah, blah, blah at press conferences

Can you imagine our back end with a healthy Markov, Kaberle and PK with a year under his belt?

And while we wouldn’t free up any money dumping Gomez, we will have dumped Gomez and his stupid contract.

“White boards… not the ones you write on with markers.”

49. Mattyleg says:

Haha!!

Bettman’s going to have a conniption!! Someone calling out his babies. Pittsburgh has always been a sore-point for me, having sucked harder than a fat kid on a gobstopper for so long and being congratulated with a fistful of top players, then being touted as the darlings of the ‘new’ NHL. Gimme a break.

I’m sure Lunny’s going to have to suck up a fine, and apologise to Campbell (which will be rich, considering…) and things will go back to the way they are.

And as for Chris Lee… euchh. I’m not sure who said it, but some colour commentator claimed that Lee doesn’t miss calls, he ‘sees too much’ and calls ALL of it. My advice to him is to grow a chin. And then a moustache. I’ve always thought moustaches are pivotal in helping make good referees.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

50. Matt_in_TO says:

Not sure if anyone else has seen this but King Henrik is bitching about the officiating in last nights Pit/Nyr game and even hinted at the possibility that the Pens are favored by the league.  Not really what I’m sure the NHL wants to be hearing especially after the Campbell story.

“I’d
    like to see the penalty record the last five years in Pittsburgh,” said
    an annoyed Lundqvist, who was brilliant throughout the match. “We’re
    shorthanded so many times in Pittsburgh and it’s definitely not our
    fault.”

First thing I thought of was Chris Lee’s goal wave off last season.

– In Price We Trust

51. Mattyleg says:

Great Spatch pic!!

Hahahaha!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

52. nick says:

Habs don’t have 7 million.

Markov needs to be put on IR first – which hasn’t happend, even when he does I believe CH only get 50% of the players cap hit back. Add that to the 1.5 or so still free and MTL has about 4 million give or take a couple hundred thousand.

53. sholi2000.com says:

2010 Summit Pic

They Call Me Shane

54. JIMVINNY says:

Here’s my take on the Markov situation.  If he’s not bady hurt, shut him down for however long it’s going to take for him to be totally healthy, be it 3 weeks or 3 months.  If he is truly badly injured, again, shut him down for however long it takes for him to be totally healthy, even if that means we don’t see him until this time next year.  If that is the case, though, now is the the time to start talking long-term contract extension.  Sign him until he’s 40, even if we’re not sure how long he will actually play.

I don’t believe a 2 or 3 year deal, to test his health, is the right answer.  He might end up coming back at 100%, and pricing himself out of our range during that time.  On the other hand, if we do sign him to an 8 year, 36 million dollar deal, what’s the worst that can happen?  He can’t play due to continuing injuries, and is forced to retire.  At that point, I think we’ve got ourselves a perfect assistant coach.  if he is able to play, then we still have one of the best offensive d-men in the league locked up for the rest of his career.

55. TB says:

for sure at least Jumbo Joe gets points in the playoffs

56. Mattyleg says:

Pity, I’m sure we could’ve got Kaberle for O’Byrne, Moen, and a 3rd-rounder that Burkie could use to draft a meat-truck 3rd-liner.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

57. longtimehabsfan says:

This morning he stated some very specific medical terms that he could only have obtained from a copy of a medical report such as an MRI film review.  [I’m a personal injury defense lawyer and have dealt with many knee injury cases]  Either he obtained a bogus report or a copy of the actual report.  Habs are probably not being forthcoming with their MRI story.

Dave – It was all meant to be in good fun.  I’m just thankful I didn’t get into the hard stuff with you and Ian at the bar a week earlier. That could have been fatal.   Besides, discussing Scott Gomez always brings out the best in me:-)

You should have been here in the days when Samsonov was a Hab.  Then you really would have seen the dark side of me.

BTW, it appears that we’re having an indoor recess (on H I/O) after reading some of the other posts and replies.  Lots of spit balls being tossed around.

59. Mattyleg says:

Yeah, I getcha. I kind of figured that as I was posting it.

The OB trade probably wouldn’t have happeed, you’re right, but as I said, I’m looking forward to seeing some young d-men get a crack. AND dreading it, if you know what I mean…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

60. Hobie Hansen says:

I think Burke would do anything for a 1st rounder, I wouldn’t want to give the Leafs that satisfaction though. Not sure I’d cough up a 1st rounder for Kaberle either? If we were talking about Luke Schen I’d give them a 1st rounder.

61. sholi2000.com says:

Thoughts By Jaroslav Halak

I feel bad for this guy, but that’s business.

Thoughts by Jaroslav SPacek

They Call Me Shane

M39 – I’d rather have Satan or Guerin!!!

On a serious note, Iginla has another two years left at 7M a season.  That would probably mean the end of Markov in Montreal.  I also wonder what Calgary would want in return.  If not Subban, then they certainly would want two of Tinordi, Leblanc or Kristo.  We might also have to throw in the rights for Terry Ryan:-)

Subban for Iginla = Iginla for Nieuwendyk?

63. SeriousFan09 says:

Koivu’s knee was never the same after his surgeries, Selanne’s knee returned to the point where he had two 40-goal seasons post-lockout. We really don’t know until it gets done, if it has to be done.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

64. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Nothing wrong with your opinion.  You could be right.  Knee injuries are tricky.  Some guy’s get their knees rebuilt and come back strong as ever and good as new and play fine.  But sometimes a guy get’s a wonky knee and it screw’s his career.  It’s happened before.

It’s Picard’s time to step up for sure and I’m 100% behind him.

SK riddled one of my posts with a few nice words from the barrel of his keyboard a while back. I guess what goes around comes around. Rock-Paper-Scissors?

67. SLONCOLD says:

the stall hit on markov was knee/thigh hit. When ever you get hit that way you’re alwasy vulnerable to a knee injury regardless if the knee was operated on or even if you’re wearing a brace. it’s really just a sucky situation.

team 990 says it’s a partial tear in his acl which menisucs and mcl damage, which is really bad… it means the hamstring replacement might have to be redone.

68. SeriousFan09 says:

Markov was injured in April, had surgery in May and had 5 months of recovery time. Markov is pretty dedicated to conditioning and rehab when he has to come back (Returned from his tendon injury early) and I’d say maybe he came back a couple of weeks early but he was playing like himself really last week. It does look bad but the Habs were still winning without Markov and he felt he was ready to go and the doctors cleared him.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

69. Drive_For_25 says:

We’re looking to go in the RIGHT direction here.  Semin is useless when it counts.

70. smiler2729 says:

Whatever the time frame, the fact is Markov’s out for awhile again and there’s no use thinking the sky is fallin’ cuz this team has played more without him than with him and went to within a sniff of the Finals last season.

Unless help in a trade comes cheap which is doubtful since Gord Stellick isn’t a GM anymore, let’s get behind Alex Picard and see what he can do.

71. sholi2000.com says:

No official word from the team.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

They Call Me Shane

I never said to replace Markov. I meant as a 7th D man. Habs are down to 6 now. I like the Bournival kid. I think if the trade didn’t happen before this injury it wouldn’t have happened at all is all I am saying.

73. SeriousFan09 says:

Why do we want a playoff ghost? Might as well see if SJ will trade Chokin’ Joe despite his new extension while we’re at it.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

74. sholi2000.com says:

What’s a Troll, I haven’t seen them since the Devils game.  In fact, some of them are now Price fans lol

Typical Right On Loving Losers

-1 to the Wiz

They Call Me Shane

Regardless of what any doctor says, remember they cleared him to play which in my opinion was premature, this injury looks bad. As a Habs fan I’d prefer an uninjured Markov to most other defensemen. However the same knee twice, after he came back maybe 2 months too soon. Sorry. It looks bad. It appears to be season ending and it could be career ending. Just my opinion. I will wait for the doctor reports as we all are, but in the mean time I think it’s fair to look at other options. Other options should be considered even if Markov comes back. That’s my opinion.

Hockey Inside/Out special section

Our second Hockey Inside/Out section of the year was published in Tuesday’s Gazette. Here are links to the stories from our hockey experts, Red Fisher, Pat Hickey, Dave Stubbs, Mike Boone and Kevin Mio, as well as several other writers.

Red Fisher: Time to reunite Habs’ Punch line
Dave Stubbs:
Padding goalie stats no longer an option
Pat Hickey: Cardiac Habs defy the odds