Hockey Inside/Out for Oct. 13, 2010

The Gazette’s Hockey Inside/Out special section for Oct. 13 2010 features articles from Red Fisher, Pat Hickey, Dave Stubbs, Mike Boone, Kevin Mio and Ian MacDonald on the Canadiens and other news from the hockey world.

Habs’ playoff hopes ride on Price: Fisher

Canadiens super-fan goes to bat for Price: Boone

French Canadiens in short supply: Hickey

Quebec connection clicks for Lecavalier: Mio

Lebeau takes his hockey passion to Bishop’s: MacDonald

Team Quebec would excel between the pipes: Hickey

Komisarek on playoff mission for Leafs: Stubbs

And don’t forget our Kids’ Corner page, where you can download the latest drawing of PK Subban.

1. TomNickle says:

Don’t think pads are the problem.  Carkner, Lee and Karlsson tying up half of the spots on defense are a big problem though.

2. TomNickle says:

Please watch the replay again and pay attention to Pominville’s neck.  Hjalmarsson clearly hits him in the back of the neck with his forearm, with force.

And on a personal note.  Kaleta tries to injure a player everytime he steps on the ice so I have no sympathy for the Sabres.

3. SLONCOLD says:

ya i know atleast this year he ditched those horrible sheerwood pads with the vertical strips….. just horrible looking pads lol

4. TomNickle says:

Kinda.  I cringe at the thought of having the defensemen that he’s had in his career though.  In Columbus and now in Ottawa.

He really hasn’t had a lot of help.

5. SLONCOLD says:

is it fair to say pascal leclaire has beena bust in his career?

6. K-hab25 says:

LOL, nice one Chuck. There’s ALOT of truth in your post.

7. TomNickle says:

Now they can give Ovechkin 5 for a second offense.  If they’d given Hjalmarsson 5 for a first offense, Ovechkin would command more for a second.  I’m positive that they aren’t prepared to do that.

8. SLONCOLD says:

i watched off the record yesterday and listened to various talk shows stating that the “bj” expression is something that is disgusting and should be something a father or mother should have to explain to their kids if seen during a broadcast /live game. I understand where the league came from on it and suspended him accordingly. Image for all businesses is important.

My issue is how league treated the hit from behind. There is this view that well if you’re not a repeat offender, you’re then “not that type of player” but do it twice and you’re a dirty player. I’m of the opinion that the nhl with all infractions has to be more objective. hit from behind is 5 games for example; regardless of a first or second offense. Too many times suspensions are tied into the extent of the injury; this tends to make the nhl look very inconsistent in it’s disciplinary actions.

9. Chuck says:

I hear ya, Mike. It would appear as though there’s less separation this season between the “have” and the “have nots”. If everyone stays reasonably healthy, it’ll probably make for one hell of a playoff run!

10. kirkiswork says:

I also heard that old blowhard Mcguire say that we wouldn’t make the playoffs.

He said that we did not improve the team enough after last year.

Seems to me that if you make the ECF you would only need to do a bit of tweaking, which was done.

Mind you I don’t usually agree with Mcguire anyway so I may be biased.

11. TomNickle says:

Gonchar, Kovalev, Spezza, Campoli, Ruutu, Lee.

That is the NHL’s all Lazy team.  Oh and they have zero goaltending.

Yep, they’ll win the division for sure.

12. TomNickle says:

Like about a half dozen people told you yesterday.  Watching that replay on a big screen tv might be a good idea.

Pominville was 100% textbook on that play.  Backchecked through the middle into his zone, pivoted and skated backward to his position for a first pass, looked to his right for a teammate and traffic, and then got leveled from behind by a defenseman skating full speed who did hit him in the back of the neck with his forearm.

Please watch it again.

13. light_n_tasty says:

We all know that Red Fisher is a grumpy old man.  But has he gone completely senile?  Ottawa is a “strength” in the east?  Huh?

14. pic1983 says:

Ummmm if you’re insinuating that wisniewski simply flipped avery the bird, you’re just slightly off target.  It was WAY funnier than simply flipping avery the bird.

Still I do agree with the above poster that 2 games for a blindside hit that resulted in a player being carted off on a stretcher, and 2 games for a lewd gesture made by a guy who isnt exactly known for these types of gestures is an absolute farce.

I think Campbell wakes up, rolls a dice, and whatever the dice lands on is how long he’s going to suspend whatever offending players he has on his agenda that day.

15. adam76 says:

NHL center ice is free on nhl.com till the 24th.

16. Chuck says:

Damn! You make me sound old!

17. Bob Barker says:

It was a bad hit but you’re changing the details. At no point does Hjalmarsson get his forearm anywhere near Pominville’s neck.

Pominville’s not a baby fawn, he’s an NHL player and bears some of the responsibility to protect himself.

I think at most it would have deserved five games.

18. Chuck says:

I’ll never get their choice of “professional insight”. How you can have such a poor former GM, who no one with an ounce of a brain would hire, be on a panel to criticize the moves of others is beyond me. It makes HNIC look bush league.

19. TomNickle says:

Your name says it all.

Andrew likes and supports Carey Price so he must be an idiot who doesn’t have opinions right?

Or maybe he doesn’t have opinions that you like.

20. boneheadslanger33 says:

Those breakfast grapes must have been sour

21. Halak the Franchise says:

LOL!  Not a bit.  I wish they had written about you, Chuck.  You have opinions and a history as a fan I’m interested in.

22. Thomas Le Fan says:

Oh sure but what if that finger had taken an eye out? What then smartypants? ๐Ÿ˜€

23. TomNickle says:

And then there’s the holdovers from last year who are eager to prove that it wasn’t all Jaro Halak.

That can’t be underestimated.

24. M.Neil says:

It’s way too early to make predictions on who will make the playoffs, and it puzzles me that such a great sports writer like Red Fisher can say that the Canadiens are not going to make them with only two games into a brand new season. I understand that Montreal was more than lucky to make the playoffs last year and the incredible performance by Halak sent them way further than what everyone expected. The team was almost brand spanking new last year, captain-less as it was they made it even with all the pressures of replacing Bob Gainey, the selling of the team, Jacques Martin as coach, who was #1 goaltender, hurt players, etc.

Now with all those pressures that year could muster being under their belt, this year I look forward to a confident team hardened by the fires of the previous one. Mr. Fisher, you have been around long enough to see that playoff predictions concerning Montreal is futile at best, and try to believe that the Canadiens will make it this year.

25. Chuck says:

Jealous much?  ๐Ÿ™‚

26. Habfan29 says:

I agree, time for him to retire. He is turning into an older version of Jack “Mr. Negative” Todd!!! His time has passed…..

27. Chuck says:

So if Martin sticks to his pattern, after two good games to start the season Price will be benched tonight in favour of Auld, who will then pad his confidence and resume by getting all of the starts against the Islanders, Atlanta and Florida, thus becoming his favourite by Christmas.

28. light_n_tasty says:

^win^

29. TomNickle says:

89 points could win the division.

30. TomNickle says:

Not to mention a serious lack of forwards who are responsible defensively.

Vinny is lazy from centre ice back and Stamkos has no clue even though he works hard.

Speed could be a big factor tonight.

31. habfan53 says:

Hey Chuck  I agree.  Also Carolina and Tampa have improved  I feel Montreal will be in tight to make the playoffs I expect them to finish with 89 points.

32. Halak the Franchise says:

Berkshire?  Really?  I guess HI/O is running out of Habs material and must write stories about know-it-all internet posters.  Wasn’t there an old Jean Beliveau jock to do a feature on?  Or maybe a Let’s Get Rogie Vachon into the Hall petition to sign?  Sheesh.

33. SeriousFan09 says:

Some minor freakouts about a possible Gill-O’Byrne pairing on the evening and the fear Stamkos will score 8 goals against that line I’ve noticed.

TB’s 3rd pair right now is a pair of guys called Mike Vernace (The AHL last season) and Randy Jones. They couldn’t get 15 minutes TOI against Atlanta for TB’s opening match. Habs hold last change, I’d like to see those two do much when JM lets Pleks and Cammy loose. Or Mike Lundin and Brett Clark take them on either.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

34. TomNickle says:

My point was that if Giguere sees too many games his play will decline dramatically or he’ll end up injured and that the monster isn’t capable of manning the fort while Giguere is on the shelf.

Their goaltending has to remain the way it started the whole season for them to make the playoffs in my opinion.

35. Chuck says:

10 points means 4 more wins and two more appearances in overtime. I think that their goaltending has easily been upgraded enough to produce that result.

Take game one vs. the Habs. If that’s Toskala in nets, that game goes to overtime.

36. TomNickle says:

Haha, then what’s your name.  You didn’t expect me to know that did you?

37. TomNickle says:

When Hjalmarsson skated full speed at a player with his back to him and buried his forearm into the back of his neck he had no intent to hurt or injure him.

None.  It was an innocent play and Hjalmarsson is very regretful about the result of the play.

38. SeriousFan09 says:

Not concerned, I’ll just use a brightly coloured object to distract him if he gets mad.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

39. HabFanSince72 says:

BTW Tom – my name isn’t Paul. It’s the name of a street in France on which there was a hotel I was staying at when I signed up for H I/O.

40. HabFanSince72 says:

Good plan … except for taunting PJ Stock on live TV.

41. HabFanSince72 says:

Hjalmarsson suspension: 2 games.

Wisniewski suspension: 2 games.

This league is a joke.

The next kid who gets brain damage (that is what a concussion is) will have Colin Campbell to blame.

42. Thomas Le Fan says:

Third game of the season and Red is writing about what our playoff hopes are riding on? Goaltending? As we used to say in the schoolyard, “No sh*t, Shakespeare!” I’d like to ask Red, which team isn’t depending on their number 1 goaltender to have a decent season? Sports writing reaches a new high! Stating the obvious.

Jolt the Bolts! Go Habs!

43. SeriousFan09 says:

Andrew has his day now, but I’ll have the last laugh when I’m on HNIC, because I’ve broken into the studio, telling Ron to remember when he was a journalist and than calling Don a xenophobic crank who should get over 1979, telling Milbury he has no business criticizing anyone after he killed the Islanders and Glenn Healy he’s like Don Cherry but without being unintentionally funny with the suits and senile commentary that he contradicts every few months, than I finish it up by asking PJ Stock what 2 plus 2 is and see him get it wrong on National TV.

If there’s time and security hasn’t gotten to me yet, I’ll ask Bob Cole what year it is.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

44. glory says:

hey guys,

does anyone have a link or site suggestion so i can watch the game on the computer tonight?

45. TomNickle says:

I too form my own opinions but I’m sure you can see on a daily basis on HIO that there are many who cannot Gil.

Along with all of Red’s success comes responsibility in my opinion.  But he’s his own man and has earned the right to make his own decisions and write what he wishes.  I just wish he would stop ignoring facts when writing because he was and might still be better than that.

46. G-Man says:

Like Todd, Fisher writes opinion columns. They are not journalists. Red hasn’t been for the longest time. Hickey and Stubbs are journalists, but the moment they offer opinion in their articles, it is not about fact any longer.

I try not to believe everything I read, and I find even regular “news” has its corporation’s agenda at heart, so they are not to be trusted blindly either.

47. fbkj says:

can we get a gazette article on observer… for t3h lulz? plz?

48. zaq007 says:

Don’t know if it’s been said or if it’s right but Hickey didn’t Bouillon play for the US national team too? :S

49. ooder says:

congrats Andrew…

i can hear SF seething with jealousy all the way over in hamilton.. lol jk jk

——————

88 is the new 23

50. TomNickle says:

And I’m sure it’s just coincidence that you agree with everything he’s saying and don’t appreciate me calling Red senile for having the same position that you do on that matter.

51. TomNickle says:

Gil.  I’m sorry but he is.  Paul makes the point above that is impossible to ignore.  Jaroslav Halak couldn’t have been traded for a David Perron, T.J. Oshie or David Backes because we weren’t in a position to acquire salary.  You can blame that situation on whomever you wish but the fact remains that Red is writing like a pissed off teenager who saw his favourite player shipped out of town.  He’s ignoring facts in favour of his opinion and while he may have earned that right, I believe that he’s established himself as such a great writer over the years that he has a much greater responsibility to his readers and fans that requires him to report accurately about the team because the belief is that what he says is ultimate truth, or at least it is to a lot of people.

52. G-Man says:

“He’s senile.”

Nice, even those who write opinion columns aren’t safe from the ignorant name-calling that goes on. Disagree, yes. Calling someone who is a senior “senile” because you disagree with him is “juvenile”.

53. larisalapointe says:

LA man, I have you all figured out. I don’t drink anyways. My comments were about events already transpired. and DUH nobody knows the future. An original thinker does not agree with everyone else all the time, and an intelligent person changes their ideas over time.

54. Will Longlade says:

It appears that Red Fisher is still feeling the sting from the Halak trade. It’s a bit premature to contend that the Habs got nothing for Halak. Eller is going to be a solid player and Price is a much better goalie than his 2009-10 W-L record suggests. Last time I checked, hockey was a team game. Some one should remind Red of that.

55. TomNickle says:

Stop it Paul.  Your sound logic has no place here and journalists shouldn’t be weighing facts like yours against the negative assumptions they create in an effort to jump to a conclusion that infuriates fans that accept their articles as reality.

56. Mattyleg says:

Welcome to the Madhouse.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

57. TomNickle says:

Canes have Ward in their lineup and presumably he won’t miss half the season again.  McBain will be in for the whole year, Jeff Skinner.

Eric Staal isn’t expected to miss a bunch of time with injury.

They’ve improved greatly just by getting healthy and putting kids into their lineup.

Rangers aren’t too much better.  Same flaws as last season and I wouldn’t bet on Gaborik playing 70+ games again.

Panthers are very improved but not playoff ready.

Thinking we can’t compete on Fisher’s part assures me we can.  He’s senile.  Buffalo, Boston, Ottawa, Toronto?

I’ll take our team up against any of those teams any day of the week.

58. Mattyleg says:

Hahah.

Nice article on a HI/O poster.

You know where to contact me, Boone.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

59. HabFanSince72 says:

” … sending
    No. 1 goaltender Jaroslav Halak to the St. Louis Blues for two
    players who have yet to prove they belong in the National Hockey
    League.”

Dear Red,

The Habs ostensibly traded Halak because they could not fit a new contract for him under the cap.

This means they could not take back much salary in the exchange.

Therefore, they really only could trade him for (1) an unproven player with potential or (2) a draft pick, or (3) a proven NHLer  signed for a very low cap hit.

Number (3) was probably  impossible.

60. LA Loyalist says:

How can you judge an opinion about something that may or may not happen in the future for accuracy?

It hasn’t happened yet. You can say “I disagree, I think Habs will be great”. That’s fine.

Red’s article is an analysis based on experience and evidence. Could he be wrong? Sure. But Red has been evaluating Habs teams longer than you and I have been drinking beer. That has no weight?

Remember we started LAST season with Price as #1. That went well, didn’t it?

Could YOU be wrong, g*d forbid? Sure. That’s why they play the games.

“Insert tagline here.”

61. RetroMikey says:

Congrats Andrew!

Although, I am hoping you are right about Price being our No. 1 goalie.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

62. TomNickle says:

As long as Giguere doesn’t play more than 60 games and Gustavsson plays over his head when he’s in there.

63. Chuck says:

Say what you want about the Komisarek and the Leafs, but all things equal, they’ll be 10 points better just from having decent goaltending for the entire season.

64. fbkj says:

HAH congrats andrew

65. larisalapointe says:

I never make New Year’s resolutions but I’m making one early and starting right away.

I’m not reading Fisher or Todd again, the National Enquirer is more accurate than they are.

66. SLONCOLD says:

i think the canes will be much better actually. they were really good in the second half last year; one of teh best records actually. some pretty good young talent as well.

what more than score 50 goals would you want from stamkos?

67. Harani says:

Congrats Andrew on the great article!

Gold from DGB: “What’s the difference between the New Jersey Devils and the Chilean government? The Chileans can afford to bring someone up from the miners.ยจ

“It must be love!”

68. coachdoug says:

Nice piece on Andrew guys…

@ Andrew…A kid from our town here in NC is playing for the Oil Barrons this year…

“Six more years…God Bless You Turtleneck Man!”

69. habsguy says:

thats all been said 1000’s of times!!!

70. Chuck says:

Hey… Andrew’s famous! Great article, Mike. And if you’re ever looking for the perspective of a Hab fan in the heart of Leaf land, I’m your guy!

71. CatznDogz says:

Good morning, I’ve been visiting this site, off and on for the past couple of years, this morning I finally got around to creating an account. Hope I can contribute something worthwhile every now and then. Tonights game should be close and exciting. Vinny, St. Louis and Gagne will be ready. I’m betting Price gets the loudest ovation in the pre-game intros,hopefully they wont turn on him later. We need to score at least one powerplay goal tonight, our PK has looked good in the first two games. Go Habs

72. joeybarrie says:

A few issues with some of the things I have been reading.

-Trading Halak for two players who have yet to prove they belong in the NHL….

This from Fisher is interesting. It’s put as if there were 100 UFA goalies out there in the market and as if we wanted to get rid of him and get some prospects. We did not have the Cap Space to sign both. If you don’t believe that, then you really don’t understand our team. We had to take one of the two players away. I am pretty certain that we got as much as we could. Also i think Eller is going to be a good move.

This city tend to only remember the last 10 games. Price is a career .912sv% and Halak is a .919sv%. Halak has really only had this last season as a success, and Price has his first regular season as his success. The people should realize how dangerous it is to give contracts based on the last 10 games… MANY players come to mind… Theo, Komi, Ryder, Finger, Gomez, AK, etc, etc…    Now don’t get me wrong, I think Halak is a great goalie. But to say Price wont be as good or better is just PLAIN STUPID. They are both very similar gambles in my mind. Price’s upside is higher and Halak has been more consistent. Other than those 2 gambles its even…

Best part is that while Price has been said to be playing SO POORLY… His numbers are similar to Halak’s and Pricey did it without Markov in a big bulk of those games… Again don’t get me wrong. Price let in soft goals and looked basically like a young goalie. Halak has been more focused and consistent. HOWEVER, Price’s history and character have shown he isn’t simply going to let himself become an average goaltender. LASTLY, let’s try to remember that the team’s management are in on everything, and we read it second hand from the papers…

-Lighting are going to be a great team this year…. I just don’t see it. No offence to Stamkos, who I love and have in my Fantasy League… But he can’t really do much more. He is already doing almost everything. St. Louis is great too but getting older, and Lacavalier is on the downside if you ask me. They are relying on a young team with an inexperienced coach. Lots of potential, but to me the addition of Gagne isnt enough for me to think they will compete for anything but the 8th to 10th seed again…

In addition, I don’t feel like the Rangers, Canes and Panthers have done anything to better themselves for this season. Toronto has tightened up their defence and made the team tougher, but you can clearly see their original path has already been detered with the waiving of Jeff Finger. They are still 2-3 years away from the playoffs…. I HOPE MORE…

I summarize by saying this. If you don’t think being 2 top line players short for the ENTIRE season last year had a effect on our team and positioning, then youre living in a dark and dismal world, and need to open the curtains. Our team is good, and staying healthy will show what we can do.

But in the end Fisher is right, it does land on the capability of Carey Price THIS SEASON. Doesn’t matter how great he may become, if he doesn’t play great this season, we will be in trouble…. Then again, so were the Capitals who WON the President’s Trophy last season. But we cannot let off guys like AK and Pouliot. Our entire top 2 lines need to produce heavily as expected if we are to compete.

DONT THINK WE CAN COMPETE????  Tell it to the top 3 teams who went out in the first round last season and to the 7th and 8th place ones who made it to the FINALS and Conf Finals respectively….

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…