Hockey Inside/Out for Oct. 13, 2010

The Gazette’s Hockey Inside/Out special section for Oct. 13 2010 features articles from Red Fisher, Pat Hickey, Dave Stubbs, Mike Boone, Kevin Mio and Ian MacDonald on the Canadiens and other news from the hockey world.

Habs’ playoff hopes ride on Price: Fisher

Canadiens super-fan goes to bat for Price: Boone

French Canadiens in short supply: Hickey

Quebec connection clicks for Lecavalier: Mio

Lebeau takes his hockey passion to Bishop’s: MacDonald

Team Quebec would excel between the pipes: Hickey

Komisarek on playoff mission for Leafs: Stubbs

And don’t forget our Kids’ Corner page, where you can download the latest drawing of PK Subban.

1. habfan53 says:

Watched the new “ROBIN HOOD” last night and I cast Sam Pollock as King John robbing (trades) from the poor Lafleur from California, Dryden from Boston anf the Big M from Detroit.

2. TomNickle says:

Don’t think pads are the problem.  Carkner, Lee and Karlsson tying up half of the spots on defense are a big problem though.

3. TomNickle says:

Please watch the replay again and pay attention to Pominville’s neck.  Hjalmarsson clearly hits him in the back of the neck with his forearm, with force.

And on a personal note.  Kaleta tries to injure a player everytime he steps on the ice so I have no sympathy for the Sabres.

4. SLONCOLD says:

ya i know atleast this year he ditched those horrible sheerwood pads with the vertical strips….. just horrible looking pads lol

5. RetroMikey says:

So far so good for Price Andrew.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

6. TomNickle says:

Kinda.  I cringe at the thought of having the defensemen that he’s had in his career though.  In Columbus and now in Ottawa.

He really hasn’t had a lot of help.

7. SLONCOLD says:

is it fair to say pascal leclaire has beena bust in his career?

8. K-hab25 says:

LOL, nice one Chuck. There’s ALOT of truth in your post.

9. TomNickle says:

Now they can give Ovechkin 5 for a second offense.  If they’d given Hjalmarsson 5 for a first offense, Ovechkin would command more for a second.  I’m positive that they aren’t prepared to do that.

10. SLONCOLD says:

i watched off the record yesterday and listened to various talk shows stating that the “bj” expression is something that is disgusting and should be something a father or mother should have to explain to their kids if seen during a broadcast /live game. I understand where the league came from on it and suspended him accordingly. Image for all businesses is important.

My issue is how league treated the hit from behind. There is this view that well if you’re not a repeat offender, you’re then “not that type of player” but do it twice and you’re a dirty player. I’m of the opinion that the nhl with all infractions has to be more objective. hit from behind is 5 games for example; regardless of a first or second offense. Too many times suspensions are tied into the extent of the injury; this tends to make the nhl look very inconsistent in it’s disciplinary actions.

11. Chuck says:

I hear ya, Mike. It would appear as though there’s less separation this season between the “have” and the “have nots”. If everyone stays reasonably healthy, it’ll probably make for one hell of a playoff run!

12. kirkiswork says:

I also heard that old blowhard Mcguire say that we wouldn’t make the playoffs.

He said that we did not improve the team enough after last year.

Seems to me that if you make the ECF you would only need to do a bit of tweaking, which was done.

Mind you I don’t usually agree with Mcguire anyway so I may be biased.

13. TomNickle says:

Gonchar, Kovalev, Spezza, Campoli, Ruutu, Lee.

That is the NHL’s all Lazy team.  Oh and they have zero goaltending.

Yep, they’ll win the division for sure.

14. TomNickle says:

Like about a half dozen people told you yesterday.  Watching that replay on a big screen tv might be a good idea.

Pominville was 100% textbook on that play.  Backchecked through the middle into his zone, pivoted and skated backward to his position for a first pass, looked to his right for a teammate and traffic, and then got leveled from behind by a defenseman skating full speed who did hit him in the back of the neck with his forearm.

Please watch it again.

15. light_n_tasty says:

We all know that Red Fisher is a grumpy old man.  But has he gone completely senile?  Ottawa is a “strength” in the east?  Huh?

16. pic1983 says:

Ummmm if you’re insinuating that wisniewski simply flipped avery the bird, you’re just slightly off target.  It was WAY funnier than simply flipping avery the bird.

Still I do agree with the above poster that 2 games for a blindside hit that resulted in a player being carted off on a stretcher, and 2 games for a lewd gesture made by a guy who isnt exactly known for these types of gestures is an absolute farce.

I think Campbell wakes up, rolls a dice, and whatever the dice lands on is how long he’s going to suspend whatever offending players he has on his agenda that day.

17. adam76 says:

NHL center ice is free on nhl.com till the 24th.

18. Chuck says:

Damn! You make me sound old!

19. Bob Barker says:

It was a bad hit but you’re changing the details. At no point does Hjalmarsson get his forearm anywhere near Pominville’s neck.

Pominville’s not a baby fawn, he’s an NHL player and bears some of the responsibility to protect himself.

I think at most it would have deserved five games.

20. Chuck says:

I’ll never get their choice of “professional insight”. How you can have such a poor former GM, who no one with an ounce of a brain would hire, be on a panel to criticize the moves of others is beyond me. It makes HNIC look bush league.

21. TomNickle says:

Your name says it all.

Andrew likes and supports Carey Price so he must be an idiot who doesn’t have opinions right?

Or maybe he doesn’t have opinions that you like.

22. boneheadslanger33 says:

Those breakfast grapes must have been sour

23. Halak the Franchise says:

LOL!  Not a bit.  I wish they had written about you, Chuck.  You have opinions and a history as a fan I’m interested in.

24. Thomas Le Fan says:

Oh sure but what if that finger had taken an eye out? What then smartypants? :D

25. TomNickle says:

And then there’s the holdovers from last year who are eager to prove that it wasn’t all Jaro Halak.

That can’t be underestimated.

26. M.Neil says:

It’s way too early to make predictions on who will make the playoffs, and it puzzles me that such a great sports writer like Red Fisher can say that the Canadiens are not going to make them with only two games into a brand new season. I understand that Montreal was more than lucky to make the playoffs last year and the incredible performance by Halak sent them way further than what everyone expected. The team was almost brand spanking new last year, captain-less as it was they made it even with all the pressures of replacing Bob Gainey, the selling of the team, Jacques Martin as coach, who was #1 goaltender, hurt players, etc.

Now with all those pressures that year could muster being under their belt, this year I look forward to a confident team hardened by the fires of the previous one. Mr. Fisher, you have been around long enough to see that playoff predictions concerning Montreal is futile at best, and try to believe that the Canadiens will make it this year.

27. Chuck says:

Jealous much?  :)

28. Habfan29 says:

I agree, time for him to retire. He is turning into an older version of Jack “Mr. Negative” Todd!!! His time has passed…..

29. Chuck says:

So if Martin sticks to his pattern, after two good games to start the season Price will be benched tonight in favour of Auld, who will then pad his confidence and resume by getting all of the starts against the Islanders, Atlanta and Florida, thus becoming his favourite by Christmas.

30. light_n_tasty says:

^win^

31. TomNickle says:

89 points could win the division.

32. TomNickle says:

Not to mention a serious lack of forwards who are responsible defensively.

Vinny is lazy from centre ice back and Stamkos has no clue even though he works hard.

Speed could be a big factor tonight.

33. habfan53 says:

Hey Chuck  I agree.  Also Carolina and Tampa have improved  I feel Montreal will be in tight to make the playoffs I expect them to finish with 89 points.

34. Halak the Franchise says:

Berkshire?  Really?  I guess HI/O is running out of Habs material and must write stories about know-it-all internet posters.  Wasn’t there an old Jean Beliveau jock to do a feature on?  Or maybe a Let’s Get Rogie Vachon into the Hall petition to sign?  Sheesh.

35. SeriousFan09 says:

Some minor freakouts about a possible Gill-O’Byrne pairing on the evening and the fear Stamkos will score 8 goals against that line I’ve noticed.

TB’s 3rd pair right now is a pair of guys called Mike Vernace (The AHL last season) and Randy Jones. They couldn’t get 15 minutes TOI against Atlanta for TB’s opening match. Habs hold last change, I’d like to see those two do much when JM lets Pleks and Cammy loose. Or Mike Lundin and Brett Clark take them on either.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

36. TomNickle says:

My point was that if Giguere sees too many games his play will decline dramatically or he’ll end up injured and that the monster isn’t capable of manning the fort while Giguere is on the shelf.

Their goaltending has to remain the way it started the whole season for them to make the playoffs in my opinion.

37. Chuck says:

10 points means 4 more wins and two more appearances in overtime. I think that their goaltending has easily been upgraded enough to produce that result.

Take game one vs. the Habs. If that’s Toskala in nets, that game goes to overtime.

38. TomNickle says:

Haha, then what’s your name.  You didn’t expect me to know that did you?

39. TomNickle says:

When Hjalmarsson skated full speed at a player with his back to him and buried his forearm into the back of his neck he had no intent to hurt or injure him.

None.  It was an innocent play and Hjalmarsson is very regretful about the result of the play.

40. SeriousFan09 says:

Not concerned, I’ll just use a brightly coloured object to distract him if he gets mad.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

41. HabFanSince72 says:

BTW Tom – my name isn’t Paul. It’s the name of a street in France on which there was a hotel I was staying at when I signed up for H I/O.

42. HabFanSince72 says:

Good plan … except for taunting PJ Stock on live TV.

43. HabFanSince72 says:

Hjalmarsson suspension: 2 games.

Wisniewski suspension: 2 games.

This league is a joke.

The next kid who gets brain damage (that is what a concussion is) will have Colin Campbell to blame.

44. Thomas Le Fan says:

Third game of the season and Red is writing about what our playoff hopes are riding on? Goaltending? As we used to say in the schoolyard, “No sh*t, Shakespeare!” I’d like to ask Red, which team isn’t depending on their number 1 goaltender to have a decent season? Sports writing reaches a new high! Stating the obvious.

Jolt the Bolts! Go Habs!

45. SeriousFan09 says:

Andrew has his day now, but I’ll have the last laugh when I’m on HNIC, because I’ve broken into the studio, telling Ron to remember when he was a journalist and than calling Don a xenophobic crank who should get over 1979, telling Milbury he has no business criticizing anyone after he killed the Islanders and Glenn Healy he’s like Don Cherry but without being unintentionally funny with the suits and senile commentary that he contradicts every few months, than I finish it up by asking PJ Stock what 2 plus 2 is and see him get it wrong on National TV.

If there’s time and security hasn’t gotten to me yet, I’ll ask Bob Cole what year it is.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

46. glory says:

hey guys,

does anyone have a link or site suggestion so i can watch the game on the computer tonight?

47. TomNickle says:

I too form my own opinions but I’m sure you can see on a daily basis on HIO that there are many who cannot Gil.

Along with all of Red’s success comes responsibility in my opinion.  But he’s his own man and has earned the right to make his own decisions and write what he wishes.  I just wish he would stop ignoring facts when writing because he was and might still be better than that.

48. G-Man says:

Like Todd, Fisher writes opinion columns. They are not journalists. Red hasn’t been for the longest time. Hickey and Stubbs are journalists, but the moment they offer opinion in their articles, it is not about fact any longer.

I try not to believe everything I read, and I find even regular “news” has its corporation’s agenda at heart, so they are not to be trusted blindly either.

49. fbkj says:

can we get a gazette article on observer… for t3h lulz? plz?

50. zaq007 says:

Don’t know if it’s been said or if it’s right but Hickey didn’t Bouillon play for the US national team too? :S

51. ooder says:

congrats Andrew…

i can hear SF seething with jealousy all the way over in hamilton.. lol jk jk

——————

88 is the new 23

52. TomNickle says:

And I’m sure it’s just coincidence that you agree with everything he’s saying and don’t appreciate me calling Red senile for having the same position that you do on that matter.

53. TomNickle says:

Gil.  I’m sorry but he is.  Paul makes the point above that is impossible to ignore.  Jaroslav Halak couldn’t have been traded for a David Perron, T.J. Oshie or David Backes because we weren’t in a position to acquire salary.  You can blame that situation on whomever you wish but the fact remains that Red is writing like a pissed off teenager who saw his favourite player shipped out of town.  He’s ignoring facts in favour of his opinion and while he may have earned that right, I believe that he’s established himself as such a great writer over the years that he has a much greater responsibility to his readers and fans that requires him to report accurately about the team because the belief is that what he says is ultimate truth, or at least it is to a lot of people.

54. G-Man says:

“He’s senile.”

Nice, even those who write opinion columns aren’t safe from the ignorant name-calling that goes on. Disagree, yes. Calling someone who is a senior “senile” because you disagree with him is “juvenile”.

55. larisalapointe says:

LA man, I have you all figured out. I don’t drink anyways. My comments were about events already transpired. and DUH nobody knows the future. An original thinker does not agree with everyone else all the time, and an intelligent person changes their ideas over time.

56. Will Longlade says:

It appears that Red Fisher is still feeling the sting from the Halak trade. It’s a bit premature to contend that the Habs got nothing for Halak. Eller is going to be a solid player and Price is a much better goalie than his 2009-10 W-L record suggests. Last time I checked, hockey was a team game. Some one should remind Red of that.

57. TomNickle says:

Stop it Paul.  Your sound logic has no place here and journalists shouldn’t be weighing facts like yours against the negative assumptions they create in an effort to jump to a conclusion that infuriates fans that accept their articles as reality.

58. Mattyleg says:

Welcome to the Madhouse.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

59. TomNickle says:

Canes have Ward in their lineup and presumably he won’t miss half the season again.  McBain will be in for the whole year, Jeff Skinner.

Eric Staal isn’t expected to miss a bunch of time with injury.

They’ve improved greatly just by getting healthy and putting kids into their lineup.

Rangers aren’t too much better.  Same flaws as last season and I wouldn’t bet on Gaborik playing 70+ games again.

Panthers are very improved but not playoff ready.

Thinking we can’t compete on Fisher’s part assures me we can.  He’s senile.  Buffalo, Boston, Ottawa, Toronto?

I’ll take our team up against any of those teams any day of the week.

60. Mattyleg says:

Hahah.

Nice article on a HI/O poster.

You know where to contact me, Boone.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

61. HabFanSince72 says:

” … sending
    No. 1 goaltender Jaroslav Halak to the St. Louis Blues for two
    players who have yet to prove they belong in the National Hockey
    League.”

Dear Red,

The Habs ostensibly traded Halak because they could not fit a new contract for him under the cap.

This means they could not take back much salary in the exchange.

Therefore, they really only could trade him for (1) an unproven player with potential or (2) a draft pick, or (3) a proven NHLer  signed for a very low cap hit.

Number (3) was probably  impossible.

62. LA Loyalist says:

How can you judge an opinion about something that may or may not happen in the future for accuracy?

It hasn’t happened yet. You can say “I disagree, I think Habs will be great”. That’s fine.

Red’s article is an analysis based on experience and evidence. Could he be wrong? Sure. But Red has been evaluating Habs teams longer than you and I have been drinking beer. That has no weight?

Remember we started LAST season with Price as #1. That went well, didn’t it?

Could YOU be wrong, g*d forbid? Sure. That’s why they play the games.

“Insert tagline here.”

63. RetroMikey says:

Congrats Andrew!

Although, I am hoping you are right about Price being our No. 1 goalie.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

64. TomNickle says:

As long as Giguere doesn’t play more than 60 games and Gustavsson plays over his head when he’s in there.

65. Chuck says:

Say what you want about the Komisarek and the Leafs, but all things equal, they’ll be 10 points better just from having decent goaltending for the entire season.

66. fbkj says:

HAH congrats andrew

67. larisalapointe says:

I never make New Year’s resolutions but I’m making one early and starting right away.

I’m not reading Fisher or Todd again, the National Enquirer is more accurate than they are.

68. SLONCOLD says:

i think the canes will be much better actually. they were really good in the second half last year; one of teh best records actually. some pretty good young talent as well.

what more than score 50 goals would you want from stamkos?

69. Harani says:

Congrats Andrew on the great article!

Gold from DGB: “What’s the difference between the New Jersey Devils and the Chilean government? The Chileans can afford to bring someone up from the miners.¨

“It must be love!”

70. coachdoug says:

Nice piece on Andrew guys…

@ Andrew…A kid from our town here in NC is playing for the Oil Barrons this year…

“Six more years…God Bless You Turtleneck Man!”

71. habsguy says:

thats all been said 1000′s of times!!!

72. Chuck says:

Hey… Andrew’s famous! Great article, Mike. And if you’re ever looking for the perspective of a Hab fan in the heart of Leaf land, I’m your guy!

73. Chuck says:

Yep… that just about covers it!

74. smiler2729 says:

Hump Day observations:

James Wiesnewski is hilarious, Niklas Hjamarlsson is an idiot, Mike Komisarek is a tool and Alex The Ovenchicken needs to spend some of his annual $8 million salary on a freakin’ front tooth.

Habs 4, Bolts 3

75. Chuck says:

I’d suggest that you take a punch in the face from Jeff Joslin, then try to tell him that it’s fake.

76. adam76 says:

Off topic – what does TSN report on the UFC?  That crap is a fake as Anna Nicole Smith sitting on a plastic covered couch.  The GSP press conference sounded like something from the WWF in the 1980s.

77. pic1983 says:

1.  70+ with good leadership and solid two way play.  Even if he does all of that, he will be still be overpaid, but at least it will be more tolerable.

2. Dont get me started on jacques Martin…

3.  I dont know if you’re alone, but I think they’ll have a solid game.

4.  Komisarek is so bad its not even funny.  I want to give gainey credit for not retaining him, but gainey did still offer that douche $4.5 Million per season (or was it $4 million? – either way, excessive) and it was Komi who bolted.

5.  Gonna go with the captain, Brian Gionta.

78. joeybarrie says:

If we win the Stanley Cup I will bet my bottom dollar NO ONE WILL CARE how much Gomez is over payed by… The basics of the trade is to have a guy like that on our team. He was the best available option at the time, and obviously it has helped us. If Gomez gets 55 assists this year I couldn’t care less how many goals he gets. If he can set up 20%-25% of our goals I gotta say I will be DAMN happy with him. And if he comes in slightly short of that how can I start to ahte him???  Remember we were a LOWLY scoring TEAM last season, and Gomez still had almost 50 assists…

IF CAMMI, GIO, AK, and PLEKS get their goals, we don’t need Gomez to score. give him ZERO goals…. Who cares if his line scores 100 with his help…?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

79. icemachine says:

5 QUESTIONS:

1. A fair number would be 80 points, However I expect to see 65

A positive remark from Martin? It would result in a black hole
    appearing and unravelling at the same time creating a Tunguska like
    event. Pray he doesn’t start praising O’B

3. I see them being even or +1 tonight.

4. The city of Glendale will take him in exchange for continued Leaf opposition to a team in Hamilton?

5. PK on the PP.

80. HFX-HabFan says:

1- 64 points, if he goes over 70 we should be ecstatic.

2- Martin has a different style- no sports psychology degree, but he still gets results.

3- Minus one at worst.

4- The Laughs won’t finish higher than 12th in the East.

5- Subban on the power play.

81. G-Man says:

1. 80+ $8mil is a lot for someone who is not a PPG player. 2. JM took us further than any other coach since ’93. Diss him all you want, but he’s the one getting results despite him not coddling the players. (They are supposed to be men, right? Not puppies waiting to be told, ‘Good boy!’) 3. SD, your appraisal of Hamrlik and OB is brutal, especially when we haven’t seen Hamrlik at all.  4. YES! (Good 1!)  5. Pouliot on a feed from Gionta and Gomez very early in, maybe their 1st or 2nd shift.

82. TomNickle says:

1. I expect 80 points from him every year because of his skill.  He’s very streaky like Kovalev.  He doesn’t have Kovalev’s skill and they are different players.  But they both have the ability to take over hockey games with their skill sets.

2. I think if Martin publicly praised anyone to that extent, the guys in the room would wonder if he’d, well, let’s just say, been satisfied the prior night or that morning.  Sorry for being rude, but it would take something like that for him to wear a smile I think.  That or a Cup victory.

3. Not alone at all.  I’m not Hamrlik’s biggest fan but it won’t be on him.  O’Byrne has to step up.  If not now, when?  I’m also not a Guillame fan but O’Byrne’s been given more chances to shine than any Hab up and comer that I can remember in a long time.  He needs to poop or get off the pot.

4. Komisarek should count his blessings that he wasn’t the one sent to the Marlies with the way he’s played in the last week.

5. Simon Gagne.  If you mean Hab.  Brian Gionta.

83. Mattyleg says:

1. I see Gomer getting about 60. His playmaking production suffered due to injuries to others last year (not an exuse for last year!), and I believe this number is easily hittable if his linemates stay healthy.

2. I don’t think that coaches have to be positive about players or media-friendly. I don’t remember Pat Burns saying anything good about anybody either, but look how he did. I do, however, think that if Martin made a positive comment, his ears would expand even further, and he’d fly away.

3. I think that O’B could use some confidence, and Hammer will help him out. If they are minuses tonight, I think it’ll have more to do with communication than anything else.

4. I think that his mission involves making the right friends (back) who can get him Habs tickets in May.

5. Gionta will score first.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

84. Skotbot says:

1- Gomer gets 68pts

2- no. But Martin will be talking about someone else, not a Hab.

3- Good place to put your money, but I bet Vinny has the worst +/- tonight. If we just mean Habs D, sure, im with you.

4- Who cares about him anyways.

5- Lars Eller.

I will be at the game. so i have influence over this. lol.

Do I listen to pop music because I am miserable? Or am I miserable because I listen to pop music?

85. SmartDog says:

5 QUESTIONS:

1. Last year during all of the Gomez “discussion” I asked several times what a fair number of points to expect from him was.  Even pro-Gomers said 60 or 65, far more than the 51 he got. (I’d say at least 80.)  What’s a fair number for this year for the 8 million dollar man?  (No excuses about last year please.)

2. In an article in Florida, Boucher was quoted as saying: “…that’s Gagne,” Boucher said. “He does the little things right. He does the little things to win. He’s a tremendous player.”  Could you imagine Martin saying anything so positive about anyone? Would the planet explode?  The sun supernova?

3. Hamrlik returns tonight with O’Byrne.  I’d put money they lead the team in minus tonight.  Am I alone?

5. Which player scores first tonight?   A prize for the winner!  (I still have the prize from the last contest. It’s getting moldy so hope someone wins!)

SD

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

86. Mark C says:

Gomez needs to produce more, but at least give him credit for the points he did get. Gomez had 59 points, not 51 last season.

Gomez has had one 80 point NHL season, it is unrealistic to expect him to get near that again. If he can be in the 65-70 point range, that will be great as a 1B center.

87. smiler2729 says:

Scott Gomez is the Habs’ number 1 center (or 1a), ’nuff said.

88. SeriousFan09 says:

1. I’m expecting 55+ assists this season, he’s gone 50+ 4 times before and he was playing on a pretty conservative trap team for 3 of those seasons. Gionta having a full season, he’ll have a shooter to pass to plus the option of Eller/Pouliot on his wing.

2. No, but could you imagine if Guy Boucher’s coaching philosophies aren’t impossibly successful and don’t win him Jack Adams trophies like Gretzky collected scoring titles? Some people here have trouble considering that.

3. Depends on match-ups, home game so Habs have last change, JM will use them against the weaker TB lines and it’s not like TB has anything out of their top-6.

4. Yes

5. Tomas Plekanec

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

89. jbroderi says:

Let’s be honest.  Gomez isn’t capable of giving equal value for salary.  I think Gomez, with a great season, could get 70 points.  He will never live up to his contract, so we have to lower our expectations to what he can actually acheive, not what he has to do to earn his pay cheque.

I would say that Gomez should be between 60 and 70 points. Any less without injury will be dissapointing.  It will greatly depend on his wingers, as well.  We know Gionta will be hopefully a 25 to 30 goal man with 25 to 30 assists, but if pouliot or Ellar, or whoever, doeasn’t produce up there, it will hurt Gomez’s assist total.  That being said, he should be a positive influence for his linemates, not the other way around!!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

90. Duke_Rauol says:

1.  Gomez needs at least 60, but over 70 and i think all would be happy.

2.  Since Martin hasnt benched OB yet, maybe he will turn over  a new leaf and the praises will fly freely!

3.  I think Hammr and OB will do fine, Hammer always steps up when Markov is out, and he may give OB the confidence   he   needs.  both of them plus 2

4.  yes

5.  Gio gets the first tonight, and the crowd goes nuts!

91. nunacanadien says:

In fact Red calls it like it is.  Last year Carey lost his number 1 spot, just like the year before.  Perhaps like some teenager, now that Carey realizes he must do his chores, maybe now he can concentrate on hanging onto a win again like the night before.  However, Gomez saved Carey’s butt big time.  How often is that going to happen though?  We all know Gomez and scoring are not on the same words in a sentence, more like Gomez can make great assists, he is a great asset, he asserts himself, he is a small assistant helper.  Let’s get real here, sure we’ve all hoped Carey will pull it through this year, this is like Toronto hoping Burkie will make the right trades and moves.

92. wotever says:

> However, Gomez saved Carey’s butt big time

What?  I don’t think we watch the same game.

It’s just a game.

93. nunacanadien says:

I think we are placing way too much emphasis on Carey, if he gets the number 1 job this year its great.  If he doesn’t let’s hope Auld pulls a Halak on us.

94. jbroderi says:

I think they can finish anywhere from 3rd to 10, really, but if pouliot and AK$^ can be the 20 to 25 goal scorers that they should be, and we avoid injuries, it is reasonable to expect a very successful year!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

95. JasonM says:

Boone : Most boring article ever! Interview a Halakian, you’ll get more hits!

I can’t believe I invited Andrew over to my house….

96. RJB says:

Andrew, congrats on the article! I joined HIO just over a year ago because I thoroughly enjoyed reading the intelligent and insightful comments posters such as you contribute. We are lucky to have you!

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
    - Bilbo Baggins

97. andrewberkshire says:

Thanks a ton!

98. nunacanadien says:

That is sad, especially when Red calls it like it is first and the world eventually realizes Red is right.  So far Red has been bang on, it’s just as a world we travel a million miles an hour and we are taste of the hour as they say.   Halak deserves all the praise he earns, Price also deserves it too, all Red said was Price still has to earn his, and as fans we are all hoping Carey pulls it through this year.  Carey is a very lucky young man to have such trusting management and most of all die hard fans who support has supported Carey in his struggling and losing.  Sure his stats are great but when the big boss yanks the kid to preserve wins, of course his record will still be stellar regardless if you brought the best goalie to Montreal.  Price has the moves to become one of the greatest goalies.  Its just those floaters Carey, if you can only stop those your world will expand.

99. Thomas Le Fan says:

Well now, you go and learn from Red then. The rest of us may choose to be unimpressed with Mr. Fisher telling us what is essentially, the obvious. In a nutshell, if our goalie plays really well and the team around him responds in kind, we may do well. If you find that fascinating, in depth, intuitive reporting, you’re welcome to it.

100. adam76 says:

As real as hulksters leg drop.

101. habfan53 says:

Chuck:  Did you see the piece on Jon Gleed in yesterdays champion??

102. Chuck says:

No, I didn’t. Just read it online, though. Good for him, and for having the foresight to set himself up for life after hockey. Hopefully his stint in Belfast works out for him.

Hey Mr. Boone, nice article about our friend Andrew Birkshire.

Thanks for that. Andrew is a great contributer to our HIO site and I enjoy him, we will see you both in a few weeks at the HIO Fan Summit.

104. andrewberkshire says:

Can’t wait for it Ian, and thanks for the compliments!

105. habfan53 says:

Seems he had awsome game against the Bruins.

106. Sambaguio says:

My Halak is still undefeated. He could be the next Roy hoisting the Cup after being traded. Go Halak!!

——————————————
    Halak is beaming right now, “Thanks, Gainey, for influencing the Habs management to trade me. I finally don’t have to share the number 1 spot with your overrated ‘thoroughbred’.

107. habs03 says:

Nice to know a little more about you Andrew :), I recently graudated from Concordia in Poli Sci and am working, the picture of you is too small but we for sure most likely had class together, prof Ronald Behring is a must take for Poli Sci.

108. Da Hema says:

That is nice for you, Andrew. You seem a fine young man!

————————

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

109. andrewberkshire says:

Thanks a bunch, Da Hema!

110. SeriousFan09 says:

You seem a fine young man!

Trademark alert!!! Send 10 cents by post to Pierre Mcguire!

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

111. Da Hema says:

D-oh!

I guess another 10 cents to Matt Groening.

————————

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

112. andrewberkshire says:

I’ll keep that name in mind. So far I think my favourite professor is Schofield.

113. madcap_habsfan says:

nice article Mr. Boone :) it’s cool to get to know a little more about the people on here :) you seem like a cool dude andrew..it’s refreshing to see someone on here who likes Price as well :)

-”People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” Chuck Palahniuk

114. andrewberkshire says:

Thanks Sarah!

115. Mats Naslund says:

I have all the respect in the world for Mr Fisher, but at this point he is being willfully ignorant of facts.

1. After signing Plekanec and Price the Canadiens are within $1M of the Salary Cap. How does he propose Jaroslav Halak could have been signed without letting the two aforementioned players walk? It was sign 1 and watch 2 leave or sign 2 and trade 1, replacing him with an NHL ready prospect who through the pre-season and the first 2 games has been arguably in the top 3 best forwards on our team. I would never talk smack about Jaro, but this is the reality of the NHL – sometimes there isn’t room to keep everyone. Ask the Blackhawks how they felt about letting Versteeg, Byfuglien et al go.

2. Scott Gomez’s cap hit is $7,357,143. Not $8M US. Seriously he is in his 2nd year with the team. It is not that hard to google.

3.”Several of the teams that finished behind the No. 8 Habs enter the new season sharply improved, which means getting there will be more difficult.” – How is it even possible that Red would know this after 2 games? What teams have improved? I remember how everyone thought that the Leafs were going to be so much better because of their amazing defense last year. There is a reason they play the games. Until we see these so called improved teams do something it means nothing! His references include the Lightning who while adding Gagner, still host many of the players who finished 12th last year! They’re just as likely to remain at the bottom than to improve! The additions that Atlanta and Toronto have made somehow mean that we won’t make the playoffs? I’ll take a healthy Gionta, Cammalleri, Markov etc over ANY of the additions made on those two teams!

How can he look at the East and imply that essentially every team has somehow improved, while our roster has only gotten worse? Its crazy and its based entirely on opinion devoid of evidence. Its cr@p that I would expect from Jack Todd. Its a different year Red! Get with it!

116. Slovak says:

This place is turning into “suck our truth or die” place. How can you be so impolite to anybody, who has different opinion or different view of things and says it in a polite manner??? Giving advices about hockey to someone, who knows every detail is a little bit weird. And do you find your fathers senile too, when they don´t see things as you want?

Fisher is bad and ending of this story is ok? What the…?

“Berkshire is pumped for the 2010-11 season. He thinks the Canadiens are a “way better” team than they were a year ago. “The only possible step down is goaltending,” Berkshire said, “and that will change if Price plays well. But I did a fantasy draft the other day and took Halak.” What the …?”

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Canadiens+super+goes+price/3662489/story.html#ixzz12G13VM89

117. SeriousFan09 says:

If this was place was that, Tony’s clone accounts wouldn’t last more than a day before being banned. We take issue with the people who show up and call us ignorant sheep or morons because we can’t see the team is doomed for a 20-year skid because we dealt Halak.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

118. Da Hema says:

Is this Red Fisher?

————————

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

119. Slovak says:

Come on just take a look around… Fishers and many others say their opinions in a polite way… and reaction?

120. SeriousFan09 says:

I don’t condone everything that gets posted here but I’ve generally avoided reading Red’s column unless he’s writing about something that happened back in the Dynasty era, his historical pieces are always great to read but the vitriol he has expended on the dealing of Halak makes you think it’s the Roy deal all over again. The doom and gloom is a little early for most of us.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

121. adam76 says:

LOL @ the Leafs playoff “mission”.

122. Mike MacPhee says:

Re: Pat Hickey’s article on a Team Quebec.

Rollie Melanson, a suggested member of a potential 1990 team, was born and bred in NB.  Like Pouliot & Giroux, he would not qualify as a Quebecer.

Cheers!

123. HabsFanInTampa says:

Game preview of tonight’s Canadiens/Lightning game in this morning’s St. Peterburg Times;

124. observer says:

re: “gagne hopes he doesn’t get booed in philly?” good luck to him. i once went to a phillies/expos dobuleheader one afternoon in the old vet and between games they had a guy throwing a frizzbee across the field to his dog. the dog caught about 10or 12 in a row then finally dropped one near impossible one. the fans then booed the dog until he left the field. eagles fans once booed and threw snow balls at santa claus.

125. jbroderi says:

Is it just me, or is Fisher getting more and more negative in the last few years.  Granted, the Habs have given us all plenty to complain about, but I think the negativity is turngin into a constant theme with him.  I always could rely on Red for facts, whether positive or negative, about the team and its chances.  Now, he is only making conjectures about how average the Canadiens are and puts Ottawa up with the elites in the East.

I also think that TB is getting a lot of credit without proving anything.  Sure, I think that Yzerman made some good moves, but because Yzerman and Boucher, who has no big time coaching experience, are there, Lecavelier will be great again?

Montreal will be in a struggle to make the play-offs, for sure.  That being said, I think teams like Buffalo, Boston and Ottawa will not be able to make too many misteps either, because they aren’t shoe ins in my book!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

126. pic1983 says:

Well said.

I respect red fisher for a great career, but the guy is well past his “best before” date.  However, he’s an icon so people continue to let him write.  I have no problem with that, I just don’t waste my time reading his columns anymore.

127. sholi2000.com says:

It’s an age thing. People will always look to the past for greatness, then compare it to the future.  Problem is, it’s 2010 and if you don’t change with the times, you end up bitter and always wondering why.

Montreal fans were so used to winning the Cup every odd year that they seemed to forget that hockey has changed. I’m 38, have seen a few cups, and lots of winning seasons.  But even I know how hard it is to put the perfect team together to win it all.  It just doesn’t happen like it used to.

Now I look forward to every single game, and all I hope for is a win and entertainment. If we win the Cup some day then Great!  But my only expectations of the Habs are to make the playoffs and maybe watch hockey in June.

They Call Me Shane

128. observer says:

habs will not be “in a struggle to make the playoffs” if price produces like halak did all last year. this team will be in the top 4 eastern if he can do the job.

129. smiler2729 says:

Red is old and cranky and he likes it. He’s no longer even relevant to me as a reader. Too many Canadiens sports journalists/radio personalities/etc… like to put their own spin on things Habs and most of the time to stand out and get readers they spew negativity like they could do better.

I’d rather read the Three Stars here and all of you than any of them.

130. observer says:

re: hickey – habs have 4 of 43 nhl “canadiens” players in te entire league? that is roughly 10%. BUT habs are only 1/30th of all the teams in the entire league or roughly 3%. in other words the have 3 times as many “canadiens” as what is the norm in this league. perhaps that is why specifically darche, picard and even pouliot are even on this team.

131. Richrebellion says:

I Respect my elders but when is Red Fisher gonna retire already? I’m sure he can still write a great article and back in the day gave great analysis of the habs. But as he said in his article ” That was then and this is now”. This guy knows as much about today’s game as my 5 year old cousin, he talks about the additions to the habs saying we got no1 and completely ignoring Jeff Halpern and Dustin Boyd. The team is not composed of a goalie and our top 2 lines, for him not to mention them proves he is way past his prime. Those were 2 key additions that will help round out the bottom 6 of the habs. In today’s NHL you need those guys to score a goal every now and then and add grit which will help defensively and on the penalty kill. Fisher sounds like a senile old man with his random rants. Just retire already, its like Jeremy Roenick still thinking he can be a 50 goal scorer at 40 years old, just not the same as he used to be.

132. SmartDog says:

Re. Boucher.  On top of his results, I like the man’s philosophy.  I think he brings a lot of smarts to the job and focusing on motivation is #1 in my mind and he does that well.  Oh – and he does strategy well too…. which is #2.

Add to this that a lot of people who know a lot more than me seem to be thinkng Boucher may just be that good – could even revolutionize how the game is played… and I don’t think he’s “just hype”.  Who knows?  But I think expecting Boucher to success is like expecting Hall or Stamkos to succeed.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

133. jbroderi says:

Agreed on the Boucher thing.  He may be a great coach at this level, but i think people are making him out to be the next Scotty Bowman without even a season under him.  Same goes for Yzerman as GM.  Will likely be a good one, but we won’t know until Stamkos new deal kicks in and the cap tightens around his neck.  Far to early to hand TB the keys to a play-off spot!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

134. SmartDog says:

Yzerman is great, but I have more faith in Boucher.  See reasons below.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

135. CanadienBoy says:

Motivation only work when player,s listen when they don,t the coach get fire

136. SeriousFan09 says:

He’s hardly the first young coach to come in and ‘shake up the system’, Mike Babcock has hit the Finals 3 times in 8 years, with two different temas no less and he’s considered by some to be the finest mind in the NHL. Cory Clouston got a number of lazy bodies working for him in OTT as well and reserved the team’s fortunes despite shabby goaltending.

Boucher could change things a bit, but I’ve seen him make mistakes. He benched the blue-collar guys who got him through round 2 of the AHL playoffs and to a 3-2 lead in round 3 and played two guys (Carle, Pacioretty) who had both missed at least the last two months with injury in a critical game 7. They made no impact and weren’t playing well. End of the day, he could be a great NHL coach but too much hand-wringing is going on about him right now.

Habs fired JM after the Conference Finals, the team looks amateurish and if Boucher didn’t work out, where are we sitting? The team that fired the veteran coach with the Conference Final appearance, replaced him with the new guy who didn’t work out, who exacrtly is going to be lining up to take a job with no security despite a Conference Final appearance and an injury-plagued season and a playoff run missing the team’s best player for 2 of the 3 playoff rounds. Find me the coach who wants that job and show me he’s qualified to do the job.

We’ve a far better chance of Boucher coming back one day because the Habs didn’t stand in the way of his getting an NHL coaching position than if the Canadiens had sabotaged it as well.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

137. habs365 says:

Mr.Fisher in all respect you’ve been in this business a long time, however the comment you wrote regarding the habs playoff hopes rides on price, that’s a bunch of BS. the habs playoff hopes rides on the way the whole team plays, they get paid to play well in front of carey price so don’t put the responceability on one player, the blackhawks didn’t do that and they won the cup, so if the habs think like you, they won’t win with or without price. have a nice day. I’m sick of carey price bashers, he’ll play as good as the team in front of him.

138. SmartDog says:

I’ve made my bet Alex. It’s

poop

LOL

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

139. EastCoastJoe says:

It was already mentioned that Rollie the Goalie is from NB, not PQ.  I was just trying to think of other Quebec goalies circa 1990 and can’t remember many who could have backed up Roy (not that he’d have needed backing up).  Reggie Lemelin?  Andre Racicot :-)  Was he still ‘playing’?  Vincent Riendeau maybe?

LOL @ SmartDog’s <i>4. If Komiserik is “on a mission” to make the playoffs, does that mean he wants a trade?</i>  Nice.