Hockey Inside/Out for Oct. 13, 2010

The Gazette’s Hockey Inside/Out special section for Oct. 13 2010 features articles from Red Fisher, Pat Hickey, Dave Stubbs, Mike Boone, Kevin Mio and Ian MacDonald on the Canadiens and other news from the hockey world.

Habs’ playoff hopes ride on Price: Fisher

Canadiens super-fan goes to bat for Price: Boone

French Canadiens in short supply: Hickey

Quebec connection clicks for Lecavalier: Mio

Lebeau takes his hockey passion to Bishop’s: MacDonald

Team Quebec would excel between the pipes: Hickey

Komisarek on playoff mission for Leafs: Stubbs

And don’t forget our Kids’ Corner page, where you can download the latest drawing of PK Subban.

1. CatznDogz says:

Good morning, I’ve been visiting this site, off and on for the past couple of years, this morning I finally got around to creating an account. Hope I can contribute something worthwhile every now and then. Tonights game should be close and exciting. Vinny, St. Louis and Gagne will be ready. I’m betting Price gets the loudest ovation in the pre-game intros,hopefully they wont turn on him later. We need to score at least one powerplay goal tonight, our PK has looked good in the first two games. Go Habs

2. joeybarrie says:

A few issues with some of the things I have been reading.

-Trading Halak for two players who have yet to prove they belong in the NHL….

This from Fisher is interesting. It’s put as if there were 100 UFA goalies out there in the market and as if we wanted to get rid of him and get some prospects. We did not have the Cap Space to sign both. If you don’t believe that, then you really don’t understand our team. We had to take one of the two players away. I am pretty certain that we got as much as we could. Also i think Eller is going to be a good move.

This city tend to only remember the last 10 games. Price is a career .912sv% and Halak is a .919sv%. Halak has really only had this last season as a success, and Price has his first regular season as his success. The people should realize how dangerous it is to give contracts based on the last 10 games… MANY players come to mind… Theo, Komi, Ryder, Finger, Gomez, AK, etc, etc…    Now don’t get me wrong, I think Halak is a great goalie. But to say Price wont be as good or better is just PLAIN STUPID. They are both very similar gambles in my mind. Price’s upside is higher and Halak has been more consistent. Other than those 2 gambles its even…

Best part is that while Price has been said to be playing SO POORLY… His numbers are similar to Halak’s and Pricey did it without Markov in a big bulk of those games… Again don’t get me wrong. Price let in soft goals and looked basically like a young goalie. Halak has been more focused and consistent. HOWEVER, Price’s history and character have shown he isn’t simply going to let himself become an average goaltender. LASTLY, let’s try to remember that the team’s management are in on everything, and we read it second hand from the papers…

-Lighting are going to be a great team this year…. I just don’t see it. No offence to Stamkos, who I love and have in my Fantasy League… But he can’t really do much more. He is already doing almost everything. St. Louis is great too but getting older, and Lacavalier is on the downside if you ask me. They are relying on a young team with an inexperienced coach. Lots of potential, but to me the addition of Gagne isnt enough for me to think they will compete for anything but the 8th to 10th seed again…

In addition, I don’t feel like the Rangers, Canes and Panthers have done anything to better themselves for this season. Toronto has tightened up their defence and made the team tougher, but you can clearly see their original path has already been detered with the waiving of Jeff Finger. They are still 2-3 years away from the playoffs…. I HOPE MORE…

I summarize by saying this. If you don’t think being 2 top line players short for the ENTIRE season last year had a effect on our team and positioning, then youre living in a dark and dismal world, and need to open the curtains. Our team is good, and staying healthy will show what we can do.

But in the end Fisher is right, it does land on the capability of Carey Price THIS SEASON. Doesn’t matter how great he may become, if he doesn’t play great this season, we will be in trouble…. Then again, so were the Capitals who WON the President’s Trophy last season. But we cannot let off guys like AK and Pouliot. Our entire top 2 lines need to produce heavily as expected if we are to compete.

DONT THINK WE CAN COMPETE????  Tell it to the top 3 teams who went out in the first round last season and to the 7th and 8th place ones who made it to the FINALS and Conf Finals respectively….

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

3. andrewberkshire says:

Thanks for all the compliments, bucko.

4. Halak the Franchise says:

Can’t make it this time around, Ian.  Maybe next time.

5. Halak the Franchise says:

My name has nothing to do with it.  I really liked Halak, but that doesn’t mean I don’t like Price.  I do.  I’ll give you the second part though.  Berkshire’s comments are annoying as hell a lot of the time.

6. andrewberkshire says:

Thanks going to be even worse this year with shot blocking king Volchenkov being replaced by an old and used up Gonchar, who was never good defensively in the first place. I still don’t get where people in the media are getting off predicting the Sens as a good team when they not only failed to address their biggest problems in the offseason, they exacerbated the problem by letting go of their best defenseman.

7. Chuck says:

True. But if you’re going to lose, at least do it with some style!

8. andrewberkshire says:

Damn straight I’m famous! Not really though.

9. andrewberkshire says:

Thats cool! And thanks for reading!

10. andrewberkshire says:

Thanks a bunch Harani!

Hey Serious09,

Some minor freakouts in Chile,!!!?

12. andrewberkshire says:

Thanks a ton Jonathan!

Tom, you have lived in cold Yellowknife to long to be warm and friendly. Hope you don’t bring the cold with you to our Fan Summit this year.!!!

14. andrewberkshire says:

Thanks Mike, he looks good so far eh?

15. Bob Barker says:

He also shived him in the kidney and threatened his children.

16. andrewberkshire says:

Thanks Mikhail!

17. sholi2000.com says:

hehe, one angry fan.

They Call Me Shane

18. TomNickle says:

Wow.

I guess Pominville wouldn’t have fallen face first to the ice then huh.

It did happen by the boards, he did hit him in the back of the neck, it was reckless, and there was intent.

There’s no way to say there was no intent.  Could have just pinned him up on the boards instead of choosing to lay him out from behind like that.

19. sholi2000.com says:

Bazinga!

They Call Me Shane

20. Bob Barker says:

I’ve watched it several times. It was a blindside hit but Hjalmarsson hits him with his shoulder. The hit causes Pominville’s head to bounce off the glass. If that hit were to take place away from the boards, Pominville wouldn’t have a concussion.

It was a reckless hit and the suspension was deserved.