Hockey Afternoon in Boston: Bournival back in Habs lineup

The Canadiens will be looking to take a 2-0 series lead – and win their sixth straight playoff game – when they play the Bruins in Game 2 of their Eastern Conference semifinal series Saturday afternoon (12:30 p.m., CBC, NBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Coach Michel Therrien announced Saturday morning that Michael Bournival will return to the lineup for Game 2, replacing Travis Moen on the fourth line with Daniel Briere and Dale Weise.

The Canadiens have grown accustomed to playing with the lead during the playoffs. In their first five games  – a four-game sweep over Tampa Bay and a 4-3 double-overtime win over the Bruins in Game 1 of Round 2 – the Habs have been behind in the score for a total of only three minutes and 34 seconds.

To keep their streak going, the Canadiens are going to need more production from their No. 1 line of Thomas Vanek, David Desharnais and Max Pacioretty. All three struggled in Game 1 against Boston and Vanek was even demoted from the top line.

Vanek, Desharnais and Pacioretty have combined for only seven points in the first five playoff games: a goal and two assists for Vanek and a goal and an assist for both Desharnais and Pacioretty.

“There’s a few players on our team who I believe need to step up their game and (Vanek) is one of them,” coach Michel Therrien told reporters in Boston on Friday afternoon. “I’m not here to mention names but as a group, we need to be better and we will be. I’m not worried. The good news is, we found a way to win. I’m glad we have Vanek in our lineup. He can be a dangerous guy (against) other teams.

“I don’t need to speak to him,” the coach added. “He understands. As a coach, you have to make decisions to find the solutions to get the maximum from your team. That’s part of coaching. … Y0u cannot be afraid to make some changes. This is how we do our things and we might see those things again (in Game 2).”

Said Vanek: “When things aren’t going well, the coach has to make changes to try to get something started. Not the first time and it probably won’t be the last time.

“You take it as we (as a line) weren’t good enough, I wasn’t good enough. We’re happy with the win, but we know we have to be better as a team, and myself, as well.”

(Photo by Jared Wickerham/Getty Images)

(Video by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell)

Therrien’s Saturday morning press conference (video), Canadiens.com

Real fans would cheer hockey’s progress in diversity, Boston Globe

Tweeting the tricolore, by The Gazette’s Brendan Kelly

Bruins’ Julien says OT penalties were deserved, by Pat Hickey

‘Canadien dive team’ makes splash in Beantown, by Brenda Branswell

HI/O Show: Nilan weighs in on Habs-Bruins rivalry

1. RockinRey says:

Unreal! Jack Todd getting all upitty at the Herald calling Subban despicably villainous.

If that is the worst thing he is called ….. Get over it!!! All in fun. And Subban would thrive on it!!

Boston would take him in a heart beat and would love to call him their own!!!!

——————————————————————————————————
    ‘This organization going forward must set its sights on competing for the game’s ultimate prize every season — and no lesser standard should be accepted.’
    —Geoff Molson, Canadiens owner and president

2. montreal ace says:

When the TV cameras went to the Habs box after the overtime goal, I noticed there seemed to be quite the crowd in it. I feel that the team MB has surrounded with, is actually used and is not there for just show. I am wondering if MB is so pro active, that he sees officials during games to discuss missed calls

3. habs001 says:

First 3 periods one PP for the Habs and 2 to the Bruins who were running around like wild animals..Merchand alone had 2 brutal penalties missed….No way you should be shorthanded only once if you play like the Bruins played in the first 3 periods…

4. Psycho29 says:

NEW THREAD !!!!

5. Habitant in Surrey says:

…8:30 am …bleary eyed …cranky …unshaven …black Sumatra coffee in the air …dog licking My face

…I’m in the mood to shoot some bears

6. boing007 says:

Bournival Conspiracy.

Richard R

7. RockinRey says:

An hour to go and no blog thread!!

——————————————————————————————————
    —Geoff Molson, Canadiens owner and president

8. habsfan0 says:

Very important for the Habs to get an early goal and get into Rask’s head.
    His 0-9 lifetime record at the TD Garden vs the Habs HAS to be on his mind.

9. UKRAINIANhab says:

Get Bourny in there!!! Parfait! GO HABS GO

10. RoofDaddy says:

The miracles ran out last game

There is no way the Ruins lose this one, why?

They have a lot more experience playing afternoon games
    They have a lot more experience overall
    They will come out with guns a blazing
    Rask will finally get his head out of his wazoo and beat the Habs at TD Garden for the first and not the last time in these playoffs

Look for Krejci, Iginla, Lucy, and Bergetard to all get goals today.

11. Psycho29 says:

Interesting take from a Boston Herald article:

“In 1959, the Boston Red Sox became the last big league team to promote a black player to the big leagues — more than a year after the Bruins welcomed Willie O’Ree as the NHL’s first black player.”

“What I’d like to do, though, is stage a Town Hall-type forum and invite anyone who directed racism at P.K. Subban — either by Twitter or any other means — to attend. If these people possess the toughness to type out such vile, despicable words, it stands to reason they’d be tough enough to step up to the podium and speak those words to a live audience. It would be enlightening to meet them, to know their names, to simply look at them.
    I doubt we’d come out of the experience reviling these people.

We’d pity them.”

12. Paz says:

Do you believe in miracles!

13. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Much respect to MT for taking out a veteran for a rookie. Bournival’s fresh legs will be an asset. Also, MT had to decide what his fourth line was going to be. If you’re going to keep Briere, then you have to make it a more scoring line or else Briere is useless (unless on the PP). If you want a checking energy line, then Briere has to sit. I like it because if DD-Max-TV are not playing well, you have another option.

14. Lafrich says:

3 goal victory margin for the Habs. I have seen this scenario before. Say bye bye to your fans for the season Lucic and company.

15. montreal ace says:

I think the Bruins will be crashing the net quite a bit today, I also expect more late hits

16. lavie says:

My guy Subban will explode again this afternoon. Beat it!

17. frontenac1 says:

Vas_y Les Boys! And Let”r Rip PK! Saludos!

18. Mats Naslund says:

Bostonians over in the Herald comment section defend themselves as not racist by continuing to be incredibly racist.

19. I just hope the charging Bruins (Marchand with his two handed slashes, face washes, sucker punches, Lucic with his “aw we missed him” comment says all we need to know about that Bertuzzi on Moore potential and of course “Hockey Play” Chara for breaking the neck of another player) don’t take one of our players out. Any player. It quickly deflated us last year and more injuries will make it difficult to come back and I do believe some of this e Bruins have a definitive intent to injure. How the hell did Richard deal with that when he played? Whole teams were out to get him…

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

20. Adidess says:

What do you mean it’s game time? ;) This feels like playing back to back.

The Weaver-Bouillon pair scared me at the beginning, in the Tampa series, and can be on their heels in their zone for long stretches, but they have not allowed many goals against. That’s positive. And if they can chip in the odd goal like Bouillon did the other night or manage to be on the ice when we score as has been the case so far in the playoffs, I don’t know what else we can ask for.

It doesn’t matter that many wanted Murray in for this series (I wanted him there to battle Chara), but we know for sure that Murray is not a threat to score goals, unless it’s an accidental one in his own net. Bouillon for all his faults can still skate and has surprised me with his sound, economical decisions at times.

I do want Bournival in.

21. Danno says:

Carey the Desperado

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

22. gumper says:

Hey Ian, responding here to your question on the last thread about pk’s b-day. My wife asked how old he is so I googled. The consensus is May 13, however you may know better. He is turning 25 tho.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
    Mark Twain

23. howiemorenz7 says:

I haven’t been a Bully fan all year, and I have a bit of a Tinordi fetish, which is irrational to be sure, I just see him as a young Larry Robinson (who oldtimers like me will remember wasn’t magic right from Day 1, took him plenty of time to become what he became). HOWEVER, Bully has shown me one really important thing. If he touches the puck, it’s safe, it’s outta there, not iced, not pumped up the middle and picked off, his hockey IQ is very high, add that to his odd offensive forays (how soon we forget the 3-2 goal of game 1, what a shot!) and you have a solid contributor to the team. I’d still love to see Tinordi get some ice somewhere along this 16-win run, but the team is first, I guess.

Maroons Suck. #7 foreva.

• I like him too, but like you said he’ll take some time to mature. Key in on a few big mistakes like the backhand cross ice attempted pass that was picked off and led to a goal against. Still needs some seasoning and with the Bruins pinching, fore-checking and making Markov and Emelin look bad at times (and PK) I think the lack of experience would be costly at times.

Thank the Gods that Bournival is in though. Moen played an OK game, some good active stick play in the D zone, but MT is considering that the Bruins will not be head-hunting as much with the black-face they have from their fans.

I for one think the Bruins WILL disregard all the hullaballoo around the racist tweets and just get dirtier than the Rat, Queen Lucy and Charenstein were on Thursday. We’ll need some push back and without Murray in, Prust is the only fighter. Eller has been feisty, but who’ll work out Lucy when he reaches for the gonads?

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• Danno says:

Boullion is short – but he is incredibly solid.

A cigarette machine on ice

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

24. Pattyice says:

Just about ready to slip on my subban jersey and head out to TD gardens ! Little nervous hoping to see more red jerseys out there than Thursday night !

• You are one balsey person. Last time I did that I had a cup of beer thrown at me from behind and my tires slashed for having a Sock Monkey with a Habs jersey hanging from my rear-view mirror. I hope the Bruins faithful can dissuade the few meatheads from acting out. Didn’t see many Habs jerseys at the last game.

Enjoy your afternoon Patty, maybe the drunken fools will only start drinking at 12 and have only 30 minutes of brew wishing their minds instead of the hours they prepare for a game when they’re regularly scheduled games.

GHG!

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

25. Peter Young says:

Watching Manchester United, the football team I’ve supported since I was a wee lad in Manchester right after World War II, play one of their last matches of a dismal season. That match will end just in time for the Canadiens-Bruins game, the first time I’ve ever seen the two clubs I support, from different sports and different countries, play one right after the other. The Canadiens are carrying my hopes for sporting success this season. Go Habs, go! They can do it!

26. ths says:

Bournival in for Moen

27. scrotchland says:

well I hope I’m wrong, I thought bruins 4 straight and I think that starts today. I have to agree with my brothers scotland and timo.
    we hab fans have to remember that detroit won the first game vs boston also.
    habs used up all there luck thursday, should not have won that game. therians time is almost up.

I think when this one is over today we hab fans will want to just curl up in the feeble position and forget this game.

• Y’know, I’m a pretty big sceptic and I question plenty of MT’s moves and the Jekyll and Hyde nature of the team during the regular season. Max pisses me off because he can go long stretches being invisible. Bourque was a zero during the regular season as was Eller, the bitching can go on to skewer Price for his disoriented play at times letting in easy goals, but…

This is the playoffs. I doubt the Habs will turtle and I for one will certainly not curl up in a ball if Boston wins one, two or even three games. If the compete is out there, we’ve already won this season, so nope, don’t agree at all.

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• Danno says:

You don’t have to hope you’re wrong because you are wrong.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• gumper says:

Win or lose, I refuse to curl up in either the feeble position or the fetal position. I’m just enjoying the ride. Think of those poor leaf fans.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
      Mark Twain

• Rugger says:

Brat Marchand, is that you?

• zephyr says:

disagree. the habs had a week & a half off & still beat boston. sog might have been in boston’s favor but scoring chances weren’t. I watched a replay of the game & counted. they were pretty even.
      I like that bournival is in. we did better when we used our speed to harass the boston dmen. I think we’ll see a lot more of that today.
      if we play our game, we’ll win the series.

28. Garbo says:

Really pumped for the Habs to win game 2 of their sweep of the useless Boston Bruins.

29. HabsKid says:

Once Vanek breaks the seal, the goals will come in clusters. He’s streaky but I’m glad he’s with the Habs. Hopefully, the line gets his mojo back soon.

30. Un Canadien errant says:

***Re-posted from previous thread***

I think a lot of the opposition to ‘advanced stats’ or statistical analysis is due to the subjectivity of the data on which Corsi and Fenwick and similar stats are derived, which is a fair objection. To dismiss the quest for data models that will have predictive value is counter-productive however.

To answer Brian Burke who said that if there was a team out there that used them, he wanted to play against them in his division, because his team would win, I’d say that I want to play the team that’s not out there trying to find objective markers of success, beyond the usual “he’s a gamer” or “he’s clutch” or “his compete level is sky-high”. If they don’t adapt, always try to find new ways of recruiting and winning, they’ll end up with a Harold Ballard organization. We saw what a change the Canadiens have undergone in two years with the new structure that Marc Bergevin has established compared to the Gainey/Gauthier régime. Bob Gainey seemed to want to run a Sam Pollock-type of team, with a one-man band approach. Marc Bergevin understands the value of the modern management team concept, of a brain trust.

I think Chris is on the right track when he says that there probably are helpful models out there, but they’re being used by one team that has bought the system from its originator, and they’re keeping it quiet for competitive reasons. Mike Gillis said as much before being let go, that the Canucks would get lots of proposals from different people and organizations, and they were willing to buy, but would delve deeper, apply it for a season, and find that they had little predictive value.

Anyway, the Moneyball example in Oakland should and probably has been a lesson for everyone. Billy Beane was on to something with his concepts, no bunting-sacrifices, get on base, a focus on slugging rather than batting average, but once the book came out and spilled the beans, he lost that competitive advantage, and fell back into the pack. Meanwhile, the Red Sox embraced that philosophy and won its first World Series in nearly a century.

Two models that are in the public domain that I’m aware of are really elegant, and simple, and they’re based on objective stats that don’t have the subjectivity that detractors use to attack statistical analysis.

One of them I’ve covered in a previous post, and it explains that defencemen who don’t score at a half-a-point per game pace in major junior in their draft year are very unlikely to reach the NHL, while those that score at or above that rate are much more viable prospects. There is an elegance, a simplicity in the model that is hard to argue, it’s right there in the graph. It helped me get over my Samuel Morin/Jonathan-Ismaël Diaby issues. The original article is linked below.

Another cool one is the Rule of 26-27-60 for selecting college quarterbacks into the NFL. Simply put, the authors have come up with a way of predicting which college quarterbacks have the greatest likelihood of success in the NFL by crunching past data. What they found is that to have success, a QB must have scored higher than a minimum level on three criteria.

He must have scored greater than 26 on the Wonderlic test, designed to measure basic intelligence, which is crucial in the modern game due to the complex offences and playbooks a QB has to master. He must have had a minimum of 27 starts in college, which will give him the required experience to read defences, check down to lower options on the route tree, stay calm in the pocket in pressure situations, etc. Finally, he must have maintained a minimum of 60% passing accuracy, since that skill is very hard to improve upon when you get to the pros. Lots of quarterbacks are drafted on the strength of their arm, which wows people in workouts, but in game situations, it’s accuracy that counts. A missed throw here and there add up, they lead to interceptions, punts and field goals instead of touchdown drives.

This model has some detractors, with some saying that the new breed of athletic passers like Cam Newton or Robert Griffin III do fine even if they don’t have the ‘minimum starts’ number or Wonderlic score, but most NFL teams will prefer an Andrew Luck who stays in the pocket more, and avoids the hits that have ruined two seasons now for RGIII and his Washington team.

These examples only deal with selecting players, but they’re simple and have predictive value. We can bet that there are others out there that are jealously guarded by the teams that stumbled upon them.
    ———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

I don’t have a good feeling. Habs will get destroyed today.

32. thebonscott says:

i can’t get the HI/O shows to play anymore, i use google chrome, does anyone know why?? please help i enjoy them :(

C’mon guys this is not rocket surgery!!!!

Game Day is here, hope our boys are ready to play.

GO HABS GO!

34. Woo hoo! First comment and game day too!

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

35. If that’s how he’s playing because he already made up his mind then bench the big knockwurst. That would certainly show no character and has no place on MB’s team.

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

36. Rather Weinerschnitzel. Apologies to Mr. V…

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

37. Hope we didn’t use up all of our Puck-luck in game one. Iginla missed an open net and there were three other instances (Lucy by the net) where open nets were missed, not to count the dribbling pucks where there were three instances with a nick on the ice that one or more would have gone in. That’s upwards of 7 goals that the hockey Gods prevented, oh and the two posts, I count a minimum of 9 goals… oh Sheeite! Hope that doesn’t hurt us going forward!

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

38. DipsyDoodler says:

Lots of angst there, etch.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

39. Psycho29 says:

Welcome to the site, Oliver Stone.

40. mount royal says:

Let`s see a similar analysis about anglo-Ontario refs doing the Laff games.