Ho-hum, another L

Pat Hickey’s game story

Wiz glad to be a Canadien

• Red Fisher on Wisniewski acquisition

About last night …

• Desjardins impresses in NHL debut

Pierre Ladouceur’s game analysis

Red’s notebook

A 24/7 on the Canadiens?

1. HabFanSince72 says:

Time to kick Jacques Martin upstairs?

I’ve defended JM on here many times, more because the attacks on him (calling him a moron, etc …) have been excessive than because I think he’s doing an especially great job. Some of the anti-JM diatribes would be slightly over the top if aimed at – say – Conrad Black or Dick Cheney. Aimed at a hockey coach they are completely unhinged.

I  do think his coaching style was right for the team. I like that he keeps his cool, doesn’t yell at players or refs. Screamers don’t succeed in the long run, esp. nowadays. I also like that he’s more of a technocrat  than a cop. I think his keeping his cool contributed to our playoff run last year. Also, I don’t think he’s “lost the pedals” (French expression) the way Carbo did during the centennial season (remember Gorges as forward? Laraque on the powerplay?).

However, I wonder if he has the mental stamina and patience to continue coaching. Does he actually teach the young players? Does he have the day to day  energy to help dig the team out of this mess? Remember that NHL coach is a 7 day a week job. There are no days off. In Montreal, it comes with extra pressure.

You can even argue that some of his decisions have contributed to emptying the team’s tank (physically and emotionally). The high tempo defending. Playing Price every game. Playing his best attacking players on the PK (consistent with his main objective of not getting scored on) – what percentage of his ice time is Pleks on the PK?

You can’t blame him for a lot of our problems. Some of the players are just not performing. But when the entire team is making mistake after mistake and not competing, the only change you can make is the coach.

The plan was always for Martin to move into management anyway, where he would have a useful role.

So who should replace him? (And if the point is to change the mental state of the team it can’t be Muller, can it?)

2. Propwash says:

If the team plays like a bag of ****, then they deserve to lose, in fact they deserve to lose embarrassingly. Its like they don’t care anymore, and I’m starting to do the same.

Ex-CFL star, Tony Proudfoot, has passed away.

4. SLONCOLD says:

emotion and intensity on the bench won’t win any more games…

5. bertuzzisucks says:

A few notes/rant:

-Everybody’s harping on Spacek but Hamrlik has been brutal. He just stands there and pokes at people with one hand on his stick. At least Spacek can still skate.

-We need D.Desharnais now. He will get points!

-PK Subban played a very strong game out there with 2 quality big hits and big minutes (23)

-Pouilot is a waste of space out there. Takes way too many lazy minor penalties lately

-mentioning minors, Eller has been getting his share of slashing and tripping penalties

-Pyatt should not play fo us again as he provides NOTHING in the means of offense for us

-Let’s ride AULD- Price has been terrible the last 10 games except maybe 2 periods in Was.

-Frickin Frustrated right now.

6. HabsFanInTampa says:

Very disappointed that the Habs only showed up for the first period last night. Honestly, the crowd was about 55% Canadien fans. When we scored the first goal within the first minute The (St. Pete Times) Forum erupted with cheers. It actually felt I was in Montreal, minus the “toasties”. That being said, the players should have used this “home crowd” atmosphere towards their advantage and played their hearts out. but, for some reason unbeknownst to me, they didn’t capitalize on it. Tonight they play in Sunrise, FL which is literally a stone’s throw from Hollywood, FL where it seems ALL the Quebecois converge for the winter months. They should play like they do a “home” game and set the tone early by maybe crashing the net every once in a while or something. Wish I knew .

7. J_P says:

Even though JM should be fired, he won’t be.  We won’t be that lucky until its really too late.

8. J_P says:

Are you really talking about goaltending when this team scored all of 2 goals in its last three games?!

Wow. give Carey a break.  Dont you think hes fed up that his team hasnt come back to win him even one game yet this year? I know I would be fed up if I was in his shoes.

A team that doesnt score cant win, no matter how good their goalie plays.  Maybe jacques Martin will wake up on day and realize that.

9. JohnBellyful says:

I won’t be watching this afternoon’s game – my bucket list has me indexing the sock drawer instead – but I would like to contribute to the HIO discussion that will take place afterward. Got to keep up appearances, you know. I wonder, could one of you help me out and cover for me, so Boone and the boys can mark me down as present. All you have to do is fill in the blanks.

Well, that was some game. The Habs looked really _____, which should put an end to those who say they’re _____. I was particularly _____ by _____ whose _____ play _____ the team. ______, however, was _____. At least ________.
    Thank God for the end of the road trip. The team can begin 2011 knowing _____.

Thanks, I really appreciate it. Feel free to use your own words but if you’re stuck, here’s a few I’ve got to clear out before the year-end inventory of the word bin.

ineffacious, sinewy, effluential, sagacious, tillerless, Brobdingnagian, mummified, cosseted, uniniquitous, saffrony, Herculean, antidisestablishmentarianism, hunky-dory

– “A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.” –

10. avatar_58 says:

Hey am I the only one glad to see PK invisible on the ice btw? I’m so glad he stopped rushing into the zone or getting all offensive and stuff. No more soobie-doos either, just let the puck go by him and chase like the rest of the D. Much better. Soon he’ll be a big minus, just like everyone else!

GOOD JOB MARTIN! Who knows, with another benching he might just become the next Obyrne!

Now I’ll stop, because this much sarcasm this early in the morning isn’t good for me.

11. avatar_58 says:

It doesn’t matter how Carey is playing. There was a single goal in the game, and after 2-1 the team threw their hands up in frustration basically. Can’t win a game when you don’t score.

12. LA Loyalist says:

Oh man, that’s a prophetic topic. My friend who’s a LONG time Caps fan still kisses the ground on a daily basis to thank us for Rod Langway.

Chelios there were external factors that I guess could not be ignored, but I pretty much guaranty you a long list of teams would want PK, and we would be absolute fools to let him go.

We have 4 untouchables: PK, Price, Gorges, Cam-Cam (excluding Markov due to injury and Wiz as he just got here).

Everyone else? Sandwich and a road map.

13. dre1744 says:

I just hope Price is in a funk right now  but too me he is playing frustrated right now and he has gone back to the way he looked last season. If you watch him these last 9 games   he isn’t handling the puck too well anymore and making dumb passes. I noticed hes not tracking the puck aswell as he did at the beginning of the season.

As he did last season he gives his Dmen dirty looks after goals are scored. And just like last year pucks are going in off his defense men again.

I also noticed one more thing  JM  has turned Mike Cammalleri  into a defensive player.   Has anyone noticed that MIkey plays  on the penelty kill now  he never played there before!!!!!!!!

14. EricInStL says:

I think Guerin wanted to play for Pitt only.

And Owen Nolan + St.Laurent blvd = disaster….

It’s easy when you’re on Mount Pious.

15. EricInStL says:

ooops double post…. Happy new year to all.

It’s easy when you’re on Mount Pious.

16. EricInStL says:

I said that about 2 or 3 weeks ago. The NHL doesn’t give a crap about Canadian teams. And is using Quebec and Winnipeg as chips for keeping teams in their respective cities.

As long as saps will pay big money to fill out the rinks night after night, there is no incentive to “help” teams. Seriously, MTL is not a power broker in this league.

So we never seem to get the breaks.

I thought Boucher would have been the right coach and do WE SERIOUSLY THINK THAT PAYING A FIRED MARTIN would seriously hamper the Canadiens ?

1 step forward, 3 steps back.

Let’s face it, the Canadiens are a .500 team. Nothing more, nothing less.

It’s easy when you’re on Mount Pious.

17. LA Loyalist says:

QUESTION – in retrospect, should we have grabbed a Billy Guerin/Owen Nolan (inexpensively) purely for leadership, even knowing they were well past their best before date?

Obviously there are problems in the room. Obviously there is a problem behind the bench, probably it would not have been enough…

Or the fact that we are even considering it a further indictment of our millionaire intangibles?

“too small, too soft, too intangible”

18. krob1000 says:

God no!!! there is no way Spacek or Andrei could eat just one…..

19. novahab says:

If they come back home and play two game in a row like last night game someone is going. The singing you will hear will be  boos and I think JM may want to look up a real estate agent.

20. LTHF says:

IS MARK MESSIER AVAILABLE  FOR THE COACHING JOB?

21. novahab says:

JM has losted this team they are not playing for him. This is certainly not the same team that played earlier in the year. The sad part is our real coach was behind the other bench last night and he gone. Time to say good bye to JM or start moving players because anyone can see this team is not playing for this coach. Well at least TSN, Sportnet, the score and especially the CBC are very happy. The Habs are now as bad as the Leafs if not worst right now. I also think the Molsons need to take some credit for this, they havn’t stuck up for this team because of the way the refs screwed them so offen last year and this year. Campbell said he gets calls from most GMs and owner complaining about the refs. Now he said most with one exception the Montreal Canadiens. Now the class act of the league dosn’t complain but if you don’t stand up for yourself you get walked over. The Molsons have to get in front of a mic and tell the fans and the players that this team will not be a door mat for he refs or the league anymore.

22. Bugs says:

Just puttin this out there: The Pac-Man has yet to score with a SHOT ON GOAL.

23. EricInStL says:

PK Subban = Rod Langway.

You know what I mean….

I would laugh my JM off if Phily would sign him to an offer sheet once he becomes a RFA.

It’s easy when you’re on Mount Pious.

24. J Haul says:

“Right now, we’re a fragile team”… who the hell says that about their own team?! Leave that kind of nonsense for the analysts and get this team going Gionta!

25. jrshabs1 says:

Oh avatar….little to do with size? 1 goal in 2 games. There are no players going to the net to score the “dirty” goals. You need size and toughness to go into the scary area’s of the rink..not float around the hash marks which is what the Habs excel at. What do the Habs do to help them come out of their Christmas swoon? Bring up Desharnais..all 5’7″ and 170lbs. Awesome!! Big strong banger and crashers players that are not intimidated by the grown up teams like Philly is the only way to win championships in the NHL.  The bubble has burst!! The experiment failed..it showed hope in the playoffs lastyear but that is a faded memory. Also, it wouldn’t hurt to have a legit tough-guy on the roster because you never know. Lets not forget about Ferguson..Laroche..Nilan..Kordic…Brasheer…BGL. At one time the Habs were a formable force that actually won championships..those teams were not afraid to go to the net and score the “dirty” goals.

Go Habs Go!!

26. SmartDog says:

I agree with you that toughness is important.  It’s not about having fighters, it’s about guys that can crash the net like MaxPac did last night (our 1 goal), and who can let the smaller guys not have to get into so many scrums.  Pleks looks like he’s going to go berzerk lately.  The frustration oozes off him.  When he gets into a brawl I hope PK is standing near him and not Gionta and Gomez.

——-

27. Mark C says:

Those two account for over 39% of the team’s scoring, Gio and Cammy 26% for the Habs. Boucher better hope nothing happens to Stamkos.

28. SmartDog says:

I don’t disagree with the general idea… I think there’s a hole in the team.  I think the Wiz is a good step – the team needs to be more physical so that Pleks and Cami, etc. are not the tough guys on the team.  Which is also why they need PK.  The “we’re a fancy team” BS drives me nuts.  The Red Wings have a guy called “the mule” because you need mules to kick ass and park themselves in front of the net.  MaxPac too is a good contributor as his goal last night showed the kind of umph to drive at the net through an opposing D.

But the question is who would you WANT to get rid of.  For me, I’d like Gomez gone of course and someone bigger in hls place.  To me Gomez’s whacky play breaks up the rythm of the team.  I’d bet my house that if he was replace the team would be much stronger. Honestly I’d be okay with Gionta going too.  I like Gionta but he’s another small forward and I wouldn’t want to let Cami go.

But I think Martin needs to go. He’s messed this up. His treatment of PK has people scratching their heads around the league and for good reason.

——-

29. LA Loyalist says:

Ian I hope you don’t feel pressure to be funny. Best option is east European gallows humor :)

I take some hope in the Wiz move, not that Wiz is the holy grail but because PG fixed a need very specifically and inexpensively (like Halpern instead of Moore, and I really like Moore).

But the next hole, a big nasty forward, is not so easy to fill, and a big skilled center to replace Gomez is even harder…

So don’t burn yourself out, your observations are valuable without condiments, sir.

too soft, too small, too intangible

30. dre1744 says:

yup i said too myself if we get scored on during this 3   0n 5  we will lose  and WHAM  St.Louis  scores   and we lose

31. Kythehabsfan says:

Would love to see Desharnais up with the team, but where would we put a small top 6 centreman? Watching him with Brock Trotter for a couple of games last year was a treat.

32. arcosenate says:

We can only lose one more game in 2010.

That’s the good news.

The bad news for us Habs fans is that there will be a 2011.

On that note, Happy New Year (outside of hockey) and good health and great success to all here in the new year.

33. GrimJim says:

A ray of sunshine on a dark Eve

34. Bugs says:

Dezzy’s comin up!

35. avatar_58 says:

What games have you been watching? The current slide has little to do with size. I wasn’t aware of any bruisers or big strong forwards on Tampa. You don’t need size of toughness to hit the net, which is their biggest issue at the moment. I swear 90% of the shots last night were from the point or at horrible angles. Desjardins really only had a few tough saves

36. LA Loyalist says:

Your analysis is precise. I would add that there is no accountability in the room to the Captain. Gionta is not having any effect and it’s hurt his own play.

The question is — you are the Molsons — do  you have the cojones to do “Knight of the Long Knives” (watch the opening scenes of Visconti’s The Damned for a lovely illustration) or do you just keep selling beer a la the Toronto Teachers’ Pension Fund team (generally referred to as the LAFFS).

Do Molsons realize the cred they would have if they cleaned house right now in the middle of the season.

Who would you keep? To me only PK, Price, Gorges and Cammy are untouchable (excluding Markov/Wiz).

Sandwiches and road maps for everyone. Send a message that in Montreal you win or die trying – or you’re gone.

It still gets hard quite often Bugs.

But we will pull out of this rabbit hole that we find ourselves in, soon, I’m sure.

38. krob1000 says:

Bad Idea…..Gomer would pass his ball off to the couple waiting behind his group….. Gio would roll his eyes, Moen would be walking in circles somewhere on another green …. Subban would get sent to the clubhouse, Gorges would limp onto the green  and Martin would strike “The Thinker” pose.

39. avatar_58 says:

Terrible time to have signed Martin for so long. Damnit Boucher, if you had accelerated your career development by a SINGLE year you could have been the habs head coach.

Oh well who are we kidding, it’s not like he’d make that big of a difference.

40. Bugs says:

Ahhhh! Why indeed, Grim.

You ask the right question.

41. jrshabs1 says:

1. Team is not big or tough enough.

2. Goaltending..Habs no longer have the Halak safety net so when our starter stinks..now what?

3. JM’s coaching.

Go Habs Go!!

42. avatar_58 says:

Who’s fault is that exactly? I mean the players assume some of it, but come on. Aren’t Martin, Muller and Pearn watching? Couldn’t they have shouted or grabbed at the guy’s collar before he lept out there? Seems very lazy, I didn’t even see anyone coming off both times.

43. Everlasting1 says:

During these trying times, I think any good coach would offer to take the team out for some outdoor fun, like playing a few rounds of mini-golf, while in Fla. It’d help to take their mind off this disastrous road trip. The challenge would be to keep PK’s mouth shut as Gomer concentrates on his putt.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

44. Bugs says:

Boucher was considered a visionary in the AHL. Only natural to assume he would bring his acumen up to the big leagues. He gambled and it paid off. Good coach.

45. GrimJim says:

Hey Bugs, somethings been bugging me for a while. If you’re unquestionably unquestionable, why do you only “think” you’re L. Bugs Potter, esq., Herzog of ze Abominable Habsuchtig Brigade, Markgraf of ze Fearsome Flanell Flausen Flank, und devoted minion of ze Habsbros Order: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

46. krob1000 says:

last year JM would have sent out Gomez and Metro….maybe this year Gomez and Halpern….throw Gorges and Spacek on the point…yup that sounds very JM.

47. Bugs says:

It’s never “difficult to come up with fun and positive comments” for me, Mr.Ian. Maybe you’re not tryin hard enough.

48. HabFanSince72 says:

Yeah – it was genius of Boucher to send out St.Louis and Stamkos on that 5 on 3.

49. Bugs says:

(shudder)

I’m STILL at a loss for that one.

50. HabsFanInTampa says:

You’re absolutely correct. They’re probably on “vacation mode”.

It is getting very difficult to come up with fun and positive comments, the past few weeks.

But we know the wheels are still turning at the management level, even though they are not turning very well on the ice.

You can be sure, that the phone lines between our club and others are humming hotter now. Even though it takes a little longer these days for Bell to connect, having to go through India and all.!!

Rest assured that the right connection and deal will take place, within a short time.

One problem that has been discovered, was that Kovalev left 3 pair of his underwear in his Mtl. locker when he left us. Kostitsin, Pouliot and another one of our players have been wearing them.

I am sure this matter and a few more will be addressed once the boys get home and find out who will be receiving their pink slips in a week or two.

For all of my HIO friends, I wish you happier viewing in the New Year!!

Drive Carefully.!! Especially going by the Bell Center, there are people walking in a fog.!!

52. OverseasFan says:

Poor Carey. If I were him, I’d be frustrated, too.

53. HabFanSince72 says:

This is what I mean by unhinged.

54. krob1000 says:

I said this last night…it is too bad it is all or nothing with coaches….I wish some team somewhere would experiment with coaches who are treated like players orr rotate to keep things fresh. I know it sounds bizarre and very unconventional but guys messages often have a half life and sometimes a chagne or diff’t focus is maybe needed. It will never happen but it is sort of what Boucher bases his philosophy on …in changing the messages and how they are delivered…..if Kirk called the shots for a while here and there or someone else….I don’t know…but I look to the Caps situation and ours and in both cases the coaches have shown the ability to lead at times…but at others it appears the players just ignore them…..it does not mea the coach is a terrible coach and I wonder if it should mean a coach should go….since the players too are  at fault…but in a multi billion dollar industry you would think that someone somewhere wuold be a little innovative and try something new like hiring multiple coaches without rank…or hire a person who fits between a coaching staff and a gm and can make decisions…but witht he existing hierachy nnobody tells the coach what to do….someone needs to sometimes you know….coaches may scoff at the idea but I think a lot of coaching careers could be extended in fact.  Oh well…probably just another weird idea uot of a weird guy but….the problem is so common and there are so many resources and knowledgeable people out there and no sport appears to ever do anything like this…sometimes owners do but they are jsut guys with a ton of money.  It seems to me that Scotty Bowman in his later years has been acting in a somehwat similar capacity and we don;t know his authority but because he iss Scotty friggin Bowman his “advisory” role is likely taken seriously….is Gainey’s…is he the rightman for the job with so much bias? what if a guy like Bowman came and assessed things for 10 games….anyway…desperate times call for desperate measure and I am rambling and someone n here will soon tell me so….

55. LA Loyalist says:

I totally agree. I’m old and slow, too. Those guys were just examples. Is there anyone out there we can afford who can bring some leadership and accountability to the room?

Gionta and Gomez are a joke on and off the ice. I kept my mouth shut when Gionta was made captain, but he’s not doing the job. He was good last year, I don’t know what happened.

We have a coaching problem and we have a leadership on the team problem and we have a talent problem — though apparently the dressing rooms are very nice.

Nice work Bob.

56. SmartDog says:

MY TOP 3 REASONS FOR THS FUNK

To win in the NHL you have to be that kind of team that has the power to keep other teams chasing you.  We were one of those teams in Oct-Nov and now we’re not.  So confidence is obviously part of the story… but that’s a more complicated recipe than how Google picks top websites.

So with some thought, here are my top 3 reasons why I think we look more like the New York Islanders than the Montreal Canadiens.

3. UNDER-PERFORMING FORWARDS. Starting with Gomez who slept through the first 20 games and sits a -7 (worst on the team before the Wiz) but including Lapierre (tied for worst minus, -7) and Gionta, and Moen and Pyatt, who should be chipping in with more than 4 goals between them, the forwards on this team are not getting the job done.  (Cami, and AK, and even Pleks may not be playing up to speed either, especially lately but to me these guys have not been the problem – they’re at least in the ballpark of where they belong.)

2. OVER-RELIANCE ON PRICE. I said it last year when Martin would play Price until he stunk up the joint and then make him sit in his own poo, that Price needs to be sat BEFORE he hits the skids.  This year they doubled the load on the kid. He did well at first and now has broken like he did last year.  Auld is not great but he’s a decent back-up and with the alternative being to break Price, I don’t get the strategy.  It’s a gamble bascially, HOPING Price somehow becomes super-human and LIKES playing more games than any other goalie in the league.  If he was St. Patrick, he’d be on the next bus to Colorado, paying for the ticket himself. This is such an obviously stupid misuse of a quality goaltender, I can’t fathom it.  Which leads me to my #1 reason:

1. POOR COACHING DECISIONS. Yes Martin is a wily man, with great experience and a strong system. Whatever. At the NHL level it’s whoever blinks that loses, and Martin’s been pretty much butterfly-kissing his way through the winter. His treatment of PK is ridiculous. Think for just a minute of PK was on they Flyers what a good player they’d be turning him into. The constant juggling of lines to get slumping forwards going, riding Price to the tune of a targeted 75 games (!!!!), letting veterans continue to mess up game after game while punishing rookies for small mistakes (my favorite post this year was the one… forget who it was… with the lines about Martin saying “listen up guys, if you veterans mess up, watch out because some rookie is going to sit”…).  The fact is that Martin, for whatever strengths has at the very least not solved whatever balance issues are plaguing this team and more likely has caused them.

Those are my three stars of the Habs funk, what are yours?

——-

57. HabFanSince72 says:

Nah I still felt good at that time.

The 2nd too many men on the ice penalty was a bummer, however.

58. mike g says:

Gotta agree with HFS72… I also defended JM all the time, but now its enough. His lack of emotion, intensity and sissy attitude has rubbed off too much on this team. Ive never seen a bunch of emotionless guys play hockey the way the Habs are now. Guy Boucher totally outcoached JM last night, he was able to adjust after a slow start while our team regressed to the stone ages. You saw in te eyes of the Tampa players that they were willibg to break their faces for theor coach. Our guys looked like they were watching a love movie….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

59. GrimJim says:

Best bet is tonight, even if it is the second half of a back-to-back. Teams generally have a let down in their first home game after a long road trip

(and you’re welcome for the “let down” set up)

60. Bugs says:

Did any of you start getting a bad feeling THE MOMENT Jimmy hit the post?

Woulda been up 2-0; Cédrick letting in his TWO first shots, mighta been pulled…

That friggin POST, man; tellin yehs, the turning point 2’n’half minutes in.

61. avatar_58 says:

Alright alright – on a positive note – The Wiz looked pretty good out there. Right off the bat he made a difference, his energy was even contagious. Unfortunately for him the team didn’t carry that energy to the second period.

Let’s hope he does the same with better results tonight. I don’t like him paired with Weber though. He’s offensive and he’s not good enough to cover Weber’s rookie mistakes.

Hamr – Subban
    Spacek – Wisniewski
    Gill – Weber

Or flip Weber / Wisniewski

62. Propwash says:

R.I.P Mr. Proudfoot. We lost a great person.

63. Chris F says:

The team has hit rock bottom. We need a shake up. Martin needs to go, besides teaching a tired 5 man system, which does work at times, JM is not capable of teaching to the level of Boucher in TB. Yes, TB has more fire power on one line than we do in all four combined, but we have speed, and we are not playing a system that allows us to use it. Maybe if we open things up we get shelled for 6 a game, I’m not sure, but we can’t score, and we are not going to win games 1-0, or make it to overtime and win shoot-out games 2-1.

Yes, we are tired, it looks like very tired. This road trip during the Holidays is the worst schedule in the league. These guys are human, they have families, too many games, too many nights. Whose responsible for allowing such a debacle in the schedule?? Is this league anti-habs or do we have some say in allowing this??

I’m tired of seeing Martin shake his head after terrible penalties, we are a man down more than any other team in the league. How many times can Pouliot hook someone in the neutral zone before he’s sat? Are you kidding me? Lapierre is useless, I’ve been saying for years he’s a glorified figure skater, but wow, can he skate. Did you see the 4 on 2? What a play he made with the puck to hold onto it and shoot from the goal line, so creative it made me sick.

For the love of God, “Give someone else a shot”. Bring up White, sit down Pouliot and Lapierre, these two guys are just terrible. Pouliot falls, hooks, and glides his way thru a game. He’s simply not playing like a man, I hope he’s reading this. Lapierre, he played well in the playoffs, what happened? I guess Dominic Moore was really important. We can’t score, and have no toughness, not a good combo. What can we do to push back after we get behind? Right now, it looks like absolutely nothing. Depressing to watch really. Our only goal came on speed and someone bull dozing their way into the oppositions net, there’s you first clue boys.

64. LA Loyalist says:

To my recollection (you would know better) going back many years we have always sucked in these winter Florida games, it’s like the players (previous team too) think they’re on vacation. It’s too bad, because yeah they should be like home games most of the time.

Sad, sad, sad…

65. The Cat says:

I agree. While I like 3rd line pluggers, JM just has too much of an adoration for players like Pyatt, Darche, or Dackell in the Ottawa days.

66. avatar_58 says:

Guerin is old and slow. Sorry.

67. EricInStL says:

Wow, RIP. Faced the last part of his life with courage and dignity. Pretty sobering considering we are harping on players who don’t give a crap what we think or say.

It’s easy when you’re on Mount Pious.

68. Hobie Hansen says:

Ok, forget about last night’s game, tonight’s game against the Panthers and the game Sunday against the Thrashers. Hopefully we can pullout a win in at least one of the next two games but whatever!

Send the boys home to bed right after Sunday afternoon’s game with Atlanta and get to work Monday morning. The Habs are off Mon-Wed next week and it looks as if it’s time to hold a mid-season, 3-day training camp. I’m no rocket scientist but I’m sure that’s what Jacques Martin is thinking.

Hopefully they can go over what made them so damn good the end of last year and into this year. Their passes aren’t as crisp, their out of position and the quality scoring chances aren’t coming as often.

There was one brief moment in last night’s game where Lapierre, Moen, Subban and Wisniewski, all through a hit in a span of 30 seconds…sent a chill up my spine. Besides that…garbage.

69. krob1000 says:

Eller is getting the OB treatment out there as of late fromt he refs….last night the refs let three attempted murders go,two muggings, four battery incidents and then a weak call on Eller….both teams were getting away with crazy stuff and then they would rnadomly call a weak one.  OB used to get that and Hal Gill still does. Most of Eller’s supposed stick infractions seem to be when his body is right next to the player and his feet are moving which to me does not indicate lazy…but he has to sharpen up and realize that they are going to call him for those for whatever reason.  Ironically Pk who is under everyones microscope nearly decapitated some guy who was nowhere near the puck…no call? To me the turning point of that game was when the Habs looked like they were going to battle and push back….Lapierre went around hitting everything that moved, PK picked up the cue and devastated someone along the boards…then….nothing…everyone just left them hanging and remained sleeping.  Laps did his job with trying to get some energy…we won’t talk about his 4 on 2 because he is supposed to be energy.

70. dre1744 says:

Thats why I said he looks too me like hes playing frustrated right now. But  then again you are right Carey could  give up 1 goal a game for the next 10 games  and we probably lose 5 of them cause this  team can’t  score.

71. avatar_58 says:

Upstairs? No, if he’s going he’s gone. I don’t want this clown anywhere near GM duties. Unless “upstairs” refers to paperwork that doesn’t have anything to do with trades. We don’t need more Darches and Pyatts on this team thanks.

The unfortunate reality is he’s going nowhere. Not after the ECF entry and not after doing so well up until this month. We have to just accept that.

I’m personally just tired of it. Did you notice the lines didn’t change once during the course of the game? Why is he rapidly changes after games and never during? If the game is already lost (when it was 3-1) why not try some gambles? Instead we saw the same 2 top lines fail miserably. I’m one of the guys who hates it when he juggles, but come on – if the game is done use it as practice.

But nope, same old Martin. It’s like he has no clue how to analyze their issues and offer up suggestions.

72. savethepuck says:

Maybe he is not playing with the confidence he had earlier in the year, but he is far from playing bad.  Stretches of confidence issues are normal for goaltenders when things are not going well. He is getting a lot of bad breaks of late, but that will change.

73. Everlasting1 says:

They have another home game tonight lol

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

74. EricInStL says:

Lucky for the Canadiens they have a lot of crap teams in this division but I believe they will just make the playoffs. In a familiar position scrapping to just make it.

It’s easy when you’re on Mount Pious.

75. adam76 says:

Guerin would have helped this team.

76. LA Loyalist says:

When do you think they’ll start winning again? Can you tell us so we can plan? Not easy to stake out a good spot for your lawn chair.

77. sholi2000.com says:

Nice avatar hypocrite.

And when they start winning again you’ll be the first one back telling everyone how great they are.

Fans like you make me laugh.

They Call Me Shane

78. LA Loyalist says:

Because JM is obsessed with moulding these guys into playing well without the puck.

He should coach figure skating. They’re great without the puck.

79. habstrinifan says:

You hit the nail on the head… no offensive capability. But you miss the obvious reason. How come the habs is the only team whose all 20 players have no puck skills.

80. joeybarrie says:

Thanks, but I wasnt using Semin as an example toward Gomez. But you are right, if it was an example then it would be a poor example. Just like an orange is a poor example of an apple.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

81. joeybarrie says:

So it is now time for the players on the ice to earn their salary. GOMEZ ESPECIALLY. I have been behind these guys for awhile now, and the biggest reason why I believe they were all good signings is because of what they are capable of. Now it is time to do it. Semin hasnt scored in 11 games for the Caps. Yet they have other players who are coming alive. We did very well in the beginning of the season because while some guys were not productive others were. Well now its time for the following guys to really make things happen.

Gomez on basic principle of his salary and career. Because he has 9 points in 8 games and thats pretty good. But he is minus 4 in the last 5 games, and he needs to be doing better than that.

GIONTA, in caps because he is Captain, and he has 1 point in his last 6 games.

Cammi because he has 2 points in 5 games and none of them are goals.

Pleks because he has 3 points in 7 games, and he is a minus 2 in those games.

AK because he has 5 points in 13 games, and he needs to freaking start being a good player.

Pouliot because he has ZERO points in 5 games, and he is capable of more, and needs to show it NOW.

Lapierre because he is a minus 6 in the last ten games and has only 1 point to show for it. He needs to do SOMETHING. Not alot, but SOMETHING.

They better go into the locker room today and say to themselves IT ENDS HERE. We will not end the year losing 4 straight.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

82. Everlasting1 says:

Semin still has 18 goals, 35 points and is +9. No comparison.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

83. dre1744 says:

Maybe because JM  benches  the fourth line  and limits the ice time of the 3rd line.  So our top players  are playing way too much   and are tired  if JM  balanced the line times out a little better maybe the guys on the top 2 lines would have more jump.

Why does Cammy need too play on the PK.  He never did before!!!!!!!

84. Mark C says:

I’m not a big JM fan, but I’m sorry it’s time to stop blaming the coach; a team doesn’t lose 8 out of 10 because of a coach. This losing and poor play falls on the feet of the players. Too many penalties, too many lapses in judgment and positioning, and too many missed offensive opportunities. Sure, JM hasn’t done a great job, but with so many underperforming players, the blame is on the players.

Joey is right, it’s up the players to turn this season around; players win or lose games, rarely are coaches the deciding factor.

85. Mark C says:

He wasn’t comparing Gomez to Semin. He was stating that other players on the Caps have picked up Semin’s slack.

86. Habitoban says:

So lets all pile on Pouliot, like his play is a problem, not a symptom.  Benny is young and learning.  We complain that JM jumps on the young players when they make mistakes, then we jump on Benny when he makes mistakes.  I hear he plays soft.  Last I looked he was number 3 in hits despite limited minutes.  He takes penalties. Sure, but I don’t see them as selfish penalties (compare Pleks, Cammy and Darche).  Besides we are pretty quick to complain that we are victim of bad calls, so that should apply to Benny as well.  He has done everything that was asked of him.  He has learned to play more defensively and play more aggressively.  He was demoted as part of the obsession with getting Gomez going, but didn’t complain.  No doubt he thought that if he played hard and kept his head down he’d get top 6 minutes.  He had a good thing going with the two trios that he worked with, and was starting to play with some offensive confidence.  But those trios were broken up.  Meanwhile, he didn’t get to audition for the Gomez line, as did others (Lapierre, Darche).  Instead, Eller gets a shot at top 6, and then we reach into the AHL and bring up Max Pac.  While this is happening, Benny loses ice time for alleged sins against the system, while bigger sinners get more ice time.  Yes, his play has declined since earlier in the season.  He doesn’t carry the puck as much (why would he, if there’s a giveaway he will be benched), but just dishes off as soon as possible.  He takes no offensive risks, and is scrupulous about not staying on the ice too long (so he’s watching the clock not the flow of the game).  When he mentions to the press how unsettling it was to be playing with different players all the time he finds himself in the press box.  Playing tight? Who wouldn’t be.

87. Everlasting1 says:

I got that, but it’s still a poor example of a struggling player.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

88. TomNickle says:

This team has two major issues keeping the team at a mediocre level.

The first is the style of play.  I don’t disagree with the way the team plays, it’s effective when done properly obviously.  My problem is that when you’re coming off of a deep playoff run with veteran players, you need to start distributing icetime a little more evenly throughout your lineup if you want to maintain the energy level required for your team to thrive under your system.  Mathieu Darche having a time on ice close to what Lars Eller and Benoit Pouliot had combined last night doesn’t allow for your lineup to be at its peak.  When you’re trailing in hockey games, you can’t spoonfeed icetime to players like Darche and expect to come back in the hockey game with guys like Eller and Pouliot on the bench.  You have to put your best foot forward based on what your team needs at the time.  Darche will not develop into a dangerous offensive weapon and as such should not be counted on to deliver offense in a comeback effort.

The second issue is Roman Hamrlik.  Through no fault of his own he’s counted on to play against top opposition on a nightly basis and to lead offense from the back.  He isn’t capable of either.  The more this team counts on him, the more it falls on its face due to his turnovers, brain farts, bad penalties and lack of reliability in coverage.  Jacques Martin, Kirk Muller, Perry Pearn and Pierre Gauthier may not think that a guy like Spacek, Picard or Gorges are capable of doing it either but at this point they need to try somebody else in this role.  It isn’t working for Hamrlik and it hasn’t for more than five years.  He has the odd game where he plays lights out and does a great job but it isn’t anything close to consistent and consistency is what is preached at the professional level.  They can’t anticipate Markov getting hurt every season, but that’s where the question of depth comes in, you need a solid #3 guy who can step up and shoulder the load in the absence of your #1.  I personally think that Gorges can do it, but that’s just my opinion and he’s hurt, so for now, his ability or inability to perform this role is irrelevant, when he comes back, it matters.

89. SLONCOLD says:

happy new year tom! bang on with the post

90. J Haul says:

No, you misinterpreted what I wrote. If you’d read the post I responded to more closely my post was abundantly clear.

The original post said in its first line, “It should not have been a penalty shot because Stamkos got off a pretty good shot on Price despite the hook. By definition that makes it a penalty rather than a penalty shot.”, so I responded in my first line by saying, “Totally agree. Not only did he get a shot off, but he got a second whack at the rebound”.

We both went on to discuss the actual penalty shot in the second part of our posts.

You’re simply arguing semantics now, after realizing you misread initially and after being given more information on penalty shot rules by another poster (krob1000).

Further, the snow shower Price received certainly speaks to the fact that there was a stop involved. If you’re ignoring what your eyes can see, then there’s no point in continuing this discussion.

91. coachdoug says:

I agree and said the same thing last night when they called it

What was even worse was his comments on Omark’s goal and then he pulls the spin move…I do think they should have to keep forward momentum for the player on the shootouts…

“Six more years…God Bless You Turtleneck Man!”

92. J Haul says:

Totally agree. Not only did he get a shot off, but he got a second whack at the rebound! Then he completely stops before pulling his nonsense spin and shoot. Every aspect of that sequence stinks.

93. krob1000 says:

I was pised last night at Stamkos’ move…I thought it was illegal…but then I looked it up and the move is allowed….even if the puck does not continue it’s forward motion because the players motion is continuous…odd.  So can a player pull off a double spinorama if his motion is continuous…how about a triple?

94. Everlasting1 says:

?????????????? There must be some cheap grass going around.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

95. J Haul says:

Yeah, the insult was needed…

Anyways, have another look and tell me which part of my take on it was totally inaccurate:

The replays at 29 and 35 seconds clearly show the 2 shots. Sure, there was a hook, but after getting two shots off that should become a penalty, not a penalty shot.

Then at 1:02 he stops in the crease before spinning around after carey goes down. I’ve never really been too keen on the “spin-o-rama” in a shootout to begin with, but this one wasn’t even a proper “spin-o-rama”. Stop, gather the puck, spin, shoot. Even the NHL 11 fantasyland wouldn’t have allowed that one.

96. krob1000 says:

check out my link in the post slightly above to the nhl rules page…that is a myth about gettting a shot off ….if the chance was not as good as it would have been…..then a penalty shot is still awarded….it is at the bottom of the page

here…..

(iii)  The player in possession and control (or, in the judgment of the Referee, clearly would have obtained possession and control of the puck) must have been denied a reasonable chance to score (the fact that he got a shot off does not automatically eliminate this play from the penalty shot consideration criteria. If the foul was from behind and he was denied a “more” reasonable scoring opportunity due to the foul, then the penalty shot should be awarded);

97. Everlasting1 says:

You made it sound like he had a rebound on the penalty shot.

Btw, it doesn’t matter if he got a shot off (with 2 ,3, 4 whacks at a rebound) on the breakaway..he was still hooked. You can argue the call for a simple penalty, but the penalty shot was legal. He did NOT stop at any point during the shot.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

98. J_P says:

I love how so many here are finally off the JM bandwagon.

For those of you who give JM credit for the habs making the ECF, I say this: What coach in the history of the NHL implemented a system that allowed the opposition to control the puck at all times, brutally outshoot his team every game praying that his goaltending would be good enough to stop the barrage of shots, and that his team would capitalize on the few chances they would get? None.

Thats not a system.  Halak carried the habs to the ECF last year, and cammy actually made good on his chances.  JM’s “coaching” had nothing to do with it.  JM should send Halak a very nice christmas gift for making him look so good.  He should probably buy Carey something nice too, because without his stellar play at the beginning of the season, the habs would be in the basement.   Theres a reason why Carey can never get a night off, because without him, JM knows his team can’t win.

This group of players need an up-tempo, puck posession system.   They need a coach who communicates, and they need a coach with some fire and passion.  They need a coach who doesnt leave you scratching your head everytime he makes a decision.  They need a coach who actually understands his assets, and plays them to their strengths and abilities.  They need a coach who shows confidence, and actually teaches young players where they went wrong, and how they can improve.

As for you Guy Boucher lovers who feel we should have kept him.  YOu are right, we should have.  He’s the real deal.  HOWEVER, the only GM in the entire league that would have had the stones to re-assign the coach that was behind the bench for his teams run to the ECF, and implement a rookie coach would be Lou Lamoriello.  I dont blame PG for not making that move, theres no way he could have done it.  If it paid off, he looks like a genious, but if it failed, its career suicide.

Theres my rant.

Happy New Year to all HIO members, all the best in 2011!  Here’s hoping the habs enjoy south beach, and the florida sunshine, and come back firing in 2011.

99. LTHF says:

j_P————–DITTO  100 % CORRECT

100. Bugs says:

Lemaire, Robinson, Burns. New Jersey Devils.

101. LA Loyalist says:

Amen. Double amen. I could never understand how giving up 40-50 shots a game was “a system”.

If Martin were a football coach, his strategy would be to punt on every SECOND down and pray his defense holds!

PK Subban would be the quarterback but he wouldn’t be allowed to throw any further down the field than 5 yards. Hand-offs and laterals are preferable in the JM system.

Kind of illustrates how obsolete JM is.

102. Max_a_million says:

David Desharnais is coming!

The drumbeating worked!

103. savethepuck says:

Is that a confirmed call up somewhere?

104. matraque says:

He’s going to replace Eller?

——

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

105. avatar_58 says:

Where’s the link?

106. Kythehabsfan says:

Just posted about Desharnais below. Would like to see him in the lineup. I don’t know anything about his defensive game or how he might fit into Marty’s system. But it is clearly time to have a little shakeup. When was the last time we brought the leading scorer in the AHL?

107. matraque says:

Confirmed by a lot of media…

rds.ca

——

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

108. savethepuck says:

I hope his #’s continue like in the AHL but I’m sure there are people on this site going to say we got another Smurf

109. shiram says:

it is on the canadiens website, wonder what line and position he’ll play, hopefully he is in for tonight

110. Max_a_million says:

Eller or Webber I would think … not sure yet.

111. arcosenate says:

Poor Webber had a horrendous game last night.

Horrendous.

Eller is good in his own end but useless offensively.

Sit them both or

Send them down…

112. Max_a_million says:

JM, Please don’t play Desharnais as the 4th line centre getting 3 minutes a game.

113. avatar_58 says:

Haha oh man imagine if he did this? What’s the point of a checking centre that is tiny? He needs some PP time and regular shifts with SCORING wingers. In a perfect world he’d get some of Gomez’s shifts

114. Max_a_million says:

Stubbs:

Marinaro is reporting it as well.

115. avatar_58 says:

Desharnais was last up when they had that epic game versus the Pens wasn’t he? Where he, White and I think Trotter where the best damned 4th line we had ever seen. Course then they made a mistake or two the next game and were never heard from again.

116. savethepuck says:

I remember the game and that line played great.  They were only there though because of a lot of injuries or maybe a flu bug.  When the starters returned, they had to go.

117. emann_222 says:

They need to bring White up from Hamilton IMHO. He could be the offensive spark that’s needed in the bottom 6. Sit Laps for a game.

Visit me at http://www.bleedbleublancrouge.blogspot.com

118. hab_skill says:

RIP Tony Proudfoot. An inspirational man who passed away last night.

119. mrhabby says:

Martin is no fav of mine. that being said the molsons are not going to fire this guy and kick him out of the organization because of a losing streak. the team and martin added 25m to the molson account so it will not happen (i will eat crow if he does get canned) what should happen is go back to basics , give price a rest for god sake and play the back up keeper for some games and then make some trades if all else fails.

120. savethepuck says:

I watched the game on RDS last night but beyond ” et la but”, “belle arrete” and a few others, my French is terrible.  Does anyone know what Carey was complaining about after the Stamkos penalty shot ( did the announcers explain it ).  I am pretty sure that on a penalty shot, when the puck stops maaking forward progress< the play is dead.

121. Bugs says:

The French you’re showing us is terrible too.

LE but.

Bel arrêt.

Carey was complaining that Stammy wasn’t “going forward”. By doing a spin-o-rama, obviously your skates will be going in the opposite direction at some point, negating the “forward progress” rule.

122. Everlasting1 says:

The proverbial panic button has been pressed. Damage control systems have been engaged.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

123. rocketsglare says:

The team simply does not have the personnel and team depth to consistently play at a high level for long

periods of time. I don’t even think it is a team that has the ability to even play fundamentally sound for

any period of time. Their lack of focus and intensity and willingness to do the basics is just perplexing.

When this team is skating, moving the puck, and attacking the net they are formidable and successful.

But, when they inexplicably stop playing their game they are simply terrible, appearing clueless and

feeble. So much has been said about this team’s character and leadership, well, where is it? Too many

problems on this team that it will take time to sort out and correct. Hopefully, this team will be able to

correct these issues even if it takes all of this season and into next season.

124. Bugs says:

First of all, JP, I am FAR from common.

Secondly, you didn’t say ANYTHING about “40 shots” and “neutral zone”, you SAID “a system that allowed the opposition to control the puck at all times, brutally outshoot his team every game praying that his goaltending would be good enough to stop the barrage of shots.”

There’s your answer. Devils had the opposition control the puck, completely outshoot them and relying on their goalie to attain their victories. The coaches I named implemented that system. Whether it was playing to their strengths or not is beside the point for if you suddenly stop to consider it, then you must do the same for OUR run to the ECF last year.

Check and mate, I’m afraid.

125. J_P says:

New Jersey was never allowing 40 shots a game, they barely ever allowed more than 30.  Common Bugs!

Those cup winning devils teams barely allowed the opposition to get past the neutral zone!

126. TomNickle says:

And that is a totally understandable argument, it was when Lecavalier and Blake did it in prior seasons too.  If the skater can do a spin o rama at the goal mouth they might as well be permitted to skate all over the ice, stop, change directions, and do whatever they want.  If they’re allowed to do these things, a goal might just as well be awarded instead of the penalty shot.

Still not the reason the team lost.

127. savethepuck says:

thank you for the explanation on the play.  My spellcheck on my computor is set on English not French on the other matter

128. savethepuck says:

2 too many men on the ice penalties in 45 seconds is the reason we lost this game.  Momentum is a real thing, and that was a huge momentum shift in their favor.  Pretty sure that is the fault of the bench coaches

129. krob1000 says:

it is actualyl allowed…the rule also mentions the Lacrosse goal so it was probably amended at tsome point in the last 10 years. It says as long as the players motion is continuous…seems odd.  I wonder what happens when the first guy tries a double spinorama…what is the diff between a sipnorama like Stamkos and a wrapround if in continuous motion?  I was surprised to see it but I looked it up last night after getting pissed at the Stamkos goal.

130. krob1000 says:

Turning point was the shift where Laps hti everything that moved, Pk crushed a guy…and nobody else did anything….those two tried to alter the momentum…but nobody cared…was really sad because those two did their jobs and tried to get things going and did enough….but not enough to wake the guys from the JM induced trance they are in….they remind me of Scooby Doo zombies repeating to themselves ” I will not turn the puck over” ” I will not turn the puck over”. “Play Safe someone else will socre” “Play safe someone else will score”

131. TomNickle says:

Yeah I know it’s allowed, my point is that it shouldn’t be.  Like I said there, if moves like that are permitted they might as well just award a goal, I don’t know if Dom could’ve figured out a way to stop that move on his best day.

132. TomNickle says:

Gomez, Gionta and Moen seemed to care, as did the new guy.  Can’t really say the same for the rest of the crew.

133. Chucking in from T.O. says:

I watched the game on Canadien Express so I didn’t get to see the whole game so I can’t really comment on the “turning point”.  But what stands out most in my mind is that they lost virtually every battle for the puck in the last 2 periods. Whether in the defensive end or on the “attack” they were taken off the puck continuously. I have not seen such a poor display of effort (or talent?) in a long time- as far back as Beagle’s goals when he took the puck of 2 Canadiens behind their net and came out and scored in the loss to the mighty Islanders. If the Habs are going to play with such a lack of commitment to fundamental hockey (“that is my puck and you are NOT going to take it from me!”) they should consider forfeiting the rest of the season and put us all out of our misery because they are really becoming painful to watch.

Ch EJ

134. TomNickle says:

Not true, puck battles weren’t a major issue.  Discipline was the biggest factor.

The powerplay was where the puck battles came into play which made them much more noticeable, only one man on the puck during a battle on the powerplay leads to justifiable criticism.

Taking terrible penalties and not being comfortable in the defensive zone killed the team.

The two sides of James Wisniewski.

136. HabFanSince72 says:

From that link: He will help the power play, which is actually the only part of the
    Habs’ game that isn’t desperately hurting right now as the club limps
    through a 2-7-0 stretch.

That guy doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

He probably hasn’t seen any games and just looks at the stats. Even then he should know that the PK is the only thing working.

137. adam76 says:

slip, slipping away.  LAst night, to roll aver and play dead after the second goal was an embarrassment.

138. avatar_58 says:

If they lose another game or two I see a trade, whether or not it makes them a better team on paper. AK46 is the probable bet.

What I’d like to see is maybe sitting a few guys and trying Desharnais and Palushaj. If coaching isn’t the issue (as many are arguing) then why not bring up some players who are not part of this slump? Desharnais is on FIRE. He’s too small? Then sit one of the other small players like Gionta or Gomez, what’s the difference they aren’t scoring anyway.

I suggest giving Eller the night off or playing him on the wing, with Desharnais taking the 3rd line spot with alternating 2nd line shifts.

139. HabFanSince72 says:

I thought  Palushaj was benched in Hamilton.

The problem is Desharnais or any other rookie needs time to adjust to the NHL. Hard to see them being the key to a rebirth.

But I agree we will probably have to something. These players are physically  and emotionally drained.

140. coachdoug says:

Dallas just spent money they supposedly do not have on Daley…time to go after Richards…Only problem is we would have two top line Centers and a third line Center making 7 mill…

Winger free agent market is not that great…but anything is better than AK46 right now…he is a big guy who will not battle…

“Six more years…God Bless You Turtleneck Man!”

141. cbass says:

Was it just me or was that a really lame call on the penalty shot, and does anyone know the ruling on coming in contact with the goalie on a penalty shot?  I remember Brodeur making a stink about that a couple years ago.

Not blaming the game on that call or anything, just wondering if anyone has a clarification on the rule..

Oh and people, don’t kill yourselves, things will get better. Happy New Year!

142. HabFanSince72 says:

The goal on the penalty shot should not have counted.The rule states The puck must be kept in motion towards the opponent’s goal line. If you see the replay Stamkos stops the puck, and actually makes it go away from the net. (The spinorama is explicitly allowed in the rules, but the puck has to always keep moving toward the net.)

The fact that Canadiens’ coaches, esp. Jacques Martin,  said nothing about either of these officiating mistakes tells me it isnt  only the players who are dazed and confused. (And I do appreciate the fact that JM doesn’t like to yell at refs.)

143. jimmy shaker says:

The call was very similar to the one cammy got vs the cubs a couple weeks ago.  Chara didn’t do much to cammy and he got the call.  Even though stamkos did get a shot away with hammers hook, the stripes are going to call it all the time.  Chincy calls are the name of the game now, it sucks, but it is what it is nowadays.

Shaker

144. Everlasting1 says:

What penalty shot were you watching? There was no contact.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

145. The Cat says:

I dont really know Desharnais but from what I hear around here he seems to have that sparkplug quality. So why not bring him up?

146. avatar_58 says:

So let him adjust? This ship is sinking fast, and it looks like Martin is just sitting on his hands

147. jimmy shaker says:

Cause I’m free, free fallin……JM is there anyway to rest Carey for a couple and get Auld in there.  Clearly there are some problems going on right now and Carey needs to watch for a bit.  I’m not blaming Price for this streak people so relax, he just needs to regroup and reset himself and a couple of days off should do him well.  Another breakaway goal vs Carey, he has to be able to stop one of those once in a while as well.  And can we send spacek and hammer to the minors while were at it.

Shaker

148. coachdoug says:

If you send the old Czechs to the minors we will have almost no D except for Wysh and Gorges right now…the reason the D is looking so bad is the Habs have no offensive capability right now…puck is always in our end or being turned over in the neutral zone…we are a puck “non-possession” team who can’t score…

“Six more years…God Bless You Turtleneck Man!”

149. gumper says:

It’ll be good to get these guys back to The Bell where the fans can really let them know how they feel about the way the team’s playing right now.

150. sholi2000.com says:

I’m not worried one bit about all these loses.  That’s hockey.

They Call Me Shane

151. jimmy shaker says:

I’ll worry for the both of us then!

Shaker

152. adam76 says:

Can I borrow your rose coloured glasses?

Forget about the win loss record, you can play hard and lose.  This team is showing zero fight, zero passion.  How the team just rolled over last night was a joke.

153. Bugs says:

CODE RED!
    We have a Code Red Alert! Infidel leaf under the wire! This is not a drill! Code Red! Enemy leaf on the grounds! Full-Sector Search Protocol activated! All Partisans to comply with Officers of the Flannel! Code Red Emergency! Nemesis leaf has bypassed defences! Sanitization Protocol activated! Code Red Alert! Immediate Retrieval and Removal Priority One! Code Red! This is not a drill! Alert, Alert, Alert! Jealous leaf through the Gate! Purification Protocol activated! You have 2 minutes to reach Minimal Safe Distance before nucular (it’s pronounced “nu-cu-lar”) cleansing commences! This is a Code Red!
    1:58, 1:57, 1:56…
    CODE RED EMERGENCY!

154. LA Loyalist says:

Then you must play golf, because you don’t care what we are doing in April. That puts you right in synch with our millionaires, I guess.

155. habsguy says:

not interested, uninspired,  no direction….it seems like PK is playing with a short leash on,  looked like he wanted to go with the puck but thought better of it, I guess he doesn’t want to be benched again.  What ever happened to the team speed,  Carey seems to be out of sinc a bit.  How the hell do you take a too many men penalty when you;re supposed to be short handed to begin with.  Looks to me like they’ve quit on JM. I love it when JM says ” we have to be good without the puck “,  they should be because they hardly ever touch the F ing thing.

156. fuhgawz says:

I have not been on here for a while … are people calling for Careys head? hope not

this team is slumping something horrible i have no ideas what it takes to get this team back on track unless you add a player like we seen last night in Stamkos which isnt going to happen — we need that moment that jolt but from who what and how?

157. J_P says:

This team has plenty of talent, a solid goaltender, and veteran defense core.  There is no reason that this team should be performing so poorly.  I find it a little reassuring that washington, a far more talented team, went through an even worse slump, but still, the complete lack of passion and determination displayed by the habs is definitely worrisome.

158. sholi2000.com says:

Worry away Jimmy :)  After the second goal I took the kids night sledding.  I didn’t like what I was seeing and wasn’t in the mood to have a hockey fit lol.

They Call Me Shane

159. jimmy shaker says:

I pvr’d it and went for a couple of bevies with the boys and actually caught a glimpse of the score while at the bar, so needless to say I didn’t have to come home and watch another “L” get racked up.  I wish we had enough snow to take the kids sledding, everything is melting here in Windsor, which wasn’t much to begin with.

Shaker

160. sholi2000.com says:

We won’t be heading outside right now, it -30 (wind chill).  At least my little rink is not melting. Time for another flood :)

Joys of winter.

They Call Me Shane

161. avatar_58 says:

The PK is starting to fail actually, but I guess that was to be expected when they are on it for 50% of the game

162. sholi2000.com says:

Can someone explain this to me?  Is bugs tying to be funny by calling me a Leaf fan, or is he not able to use the word enemy instead of Leaf. Must be a language issue.

They Call Me Shane

163. joeybarrie says:

I think Bugs’ humor, is to point out that there are alot of doom and gloomers around, and optimists are clearly seen around here as the enemy. Who is our typical enemy? Toronto. Is it real? No they really suck. We are only sucking right now.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

164. sholi2000.com says:

No, I was right.  He was trying to be funny (and failed).

Hey Bugs

“In Mtl we WIn”

LOL

Maybe back in 50,60, and 70’s.

Welcome to the the reality of CAP, and 30 NHL teams.

My underwear knows more about hockey than you.

They Call Me Shane

165. Bugs says:

Only leafers aren’t worried about losing, Shully. In Mtl, we win. All the time. Every time. Way we were raised. Anything less is absolute failure and total surrender.

Accepting that means you’re not one of us. We don’t do loser-talk here in any way, shape or form. And whether it was intentional or not, that’s the reason your statement activated the Code Red, Shully.

166. LA Loyalist says:

Plenty of talent? You’re hilarious. Do you realize that’s even more damning than saying “well they’re a bunch of journeyman what do we expect?”

Firstly, no one is calling for Carey’s head – but, if we keep stumbling along like this even if by some miracle we stagger into the playoffs he will be mentally exhausted.

Secondly, the problem in comparing us with Washington is that yeah, it’s a bit comforting BUT they can (as they are doing now) rip off 4,5,6 wins in a row and make up points in a hurry. Whenever WE look capable of that we mail it in against a “Lower” no-name team and they hand us our d*cks on a skewer and kill our momentum.

Finally, this was supposed to be the team with intangibles. Gionta, Gomez, Gill… you know the names, all these guys were brought in from winning teams to change the culture.

All that trauma we went through with BG blowing up the team. Pretty much looks like we have to do again. The question is do we let the same Foxes design the Henhouse?

The other problem with letting Boucher get away (another topic) is that there is no hot breath on Martin’s neck. He can play his little head games and think he’s not a risk if they don’t work.

If you are the Molson’s do you stage a “Night of the Long Knives” tonight or do you just keep selling beer?