Ho-hum, another L

Pat Hickey’s game story

Wiz glad to be a Canadien

• Red Fisher on Wisniewski acquisition

About last night …

• Desjardins impresses in NHL debut

Pierre Ladouceur’s game analysis

Red’s notebook

A 24/7 on the Canadiens?

1. jrshabs1 says:

Oh avatar….little to do with size? 1 goal in 2 games. There are no players going to the net to score the “dirty” goals. You need size and toughness to go into the scary area’s of the rink..not float around the hash marks which is what the Habs excel at. What do the Habs do to help them come out of their Christmas swoon? Bring up Desharnais..all 5’7″ and 170lbs. Awesome!! Big strong banger and crashers players that are not intimidated by the grown up teams like Philly is the only way to win championships in the NHL.  The bubble has burst!! The experiment failed..it showed hope in the playoffs lastyear but that is a faded memory. Also, it wouldn’t hurt to have a legit tough-guy on the roster because you never know. Lets not forget about Ferguson..Laroche..Nilan..Kordic…Brasheer…BGL. At one time the Habs were a formable force that actually won championships..those teams were not afraid to go to the net and score the “dirty” goals.

Go Habs Go!!

2. SmartDog says:

I agree with you that toughness is important.  It’s not about having fighters, it’s about guys that can crash the net like MaxPac did last night (our 1 goal), and who can let the smaller guys not have to get into so many scrums.  Pleks looks like he’s going to go berzerk lately.  The frustration oozes off him.  When he gets into a brawl I hope PK is standing near him and not Gionta and Gomez.

3. Mark C says:

Those two account for over 39% of the team’s scoring, Gio and Cammy 26% for the Habs. Boucher better hope nothing happens to Stamkos.

4. SmartDog says:

I don’t disagree with the general idea… I think there’s a hole in the team.  I think the Wiz is a good step – the team needs to be more physical so that Pleks and Cami, etc. are not the tough guys on the team.  Which is also why they need PK.  The “we’re a fancy team” BS drives me nuts.  The Red Wings have a guy called “the mule” because you need mules to kick ass and park themselves in front of the net.  MaxPac too is a good contributor as his goal last night showed the kind of umph to drive at the net through an opposing D.

But the question is who would you WANT to get rid of.  For me, I’d like Gomez gone of course and someone bigger in hls place.  To me Gomez’s whacky play breaks up the rythm of the team.  I’d bet my house that if he was replace the team would be much stronger. Honestly I’d be okay with Gionta going too.  I like Gionta but he’s another small forward and I wouldn’t want to let Cami go.

But I think Martin needs to go. He’s messed this up. His treatment of PK has people scratching their heads around the league and for good reason.

5. LA Loyalist says:

Ian I hope you don’t feel pressure to be funny. Best option is east European gallows humor 🙂

I take some hope in the Wiz move, not that Wiz is the holy grail but because PG fixed a need very specifically and inexpensively (like Halpern instead of Moore, and I really like Moore).

But the next hole, a big nasty forward, is not so easy to fill, and a big skilled center to replace Gomez is even harder…

So don’t burn yourself out, your observations are valuable without condiments, sir.

too soft, too small, too intangible

6. dre1744 says:

yup i said too myself if we get scored on during this 3   0n 5  we will lose  and WHAM  St.Louis  scores   and we lose

7. Kythehabsfan says:

Would love to see Desharnais up with the team, but where would we put a small top 6 centreman? Watching him with Brock Trotter for a couple of games last year was a treat.

8. arcosenate says:

We can only lose one more game in 2010.

That’s the good news.

The bad news for us Habs fans is that there will be a 2011.

On that note, Happy New Year (outside of hockey) and good health and great success to all here in the new year.

9. GrimJim says:

A ray of sunshine on a dark Eve

10. Bugs says:

Dezzy’s comin up!

Unquestionably unquestionable, I think I’m

11. avatar_58 says:

What games have you been watching? The current slide has little to do with size. I wasn’t aware of any bruisers or big strong forwards on Tampa. You don’t need size of toughness to hit the net, which is their biggest issue at the moment. I swear 90% of the shots last night were from the point or at horrible angles. Desjardins really only had a few tough saves

12. LA Loyalist says:

Your analysis is precise. I would add that there is no accountability in the room to the Captain. Gionta is not having any effect and it’s hurt his own play.

The question is — you are the Molsons — do  you have the cojones to do “Knight of the Long Knives” (watch the opening scenes of Visconti’s The Damned for a lovely illustration) or do you just keep selling beer a la the Toronto Teachers’ Pension Fund team (generally referred to as the LAFFS).

Do Molsons realize the cred they would have if they cleaned house right now in the middle of the season.

Who would you keep? To me only PK, Price, Gorges and Cammy are untouchable (excluding Markov/Wiz).

Sandwiches and road maps for everyone. Send a message that in Montreal you win or die trying – or you’re gone.

It still gets hard quite often Bugs.

But we will pull out of this rabbit hole that we find ourselves in, soon, I’m sure.

14. krob1000 says:

Bad Idea…..Gomer would pass his ball off to the couple waiting behind his group….. Gio would roll his eyes, Moen would be walking in circles somewhere on another green …. Subban would get sent to the clubhouse, Gorges would limp onto the green  and Martin would strike “The Thinker” pose.

15. avatar_58 says:

Terrible time to have signed Martin for so long. Damnit Boucher, if you had accelerated your career development by a SINGLE year you could have been the habs head coach.

Oh well who are we kidding, it’s not like he’d make that big of a difference.

16. Bugs says:

Ahhhh! Why indeed, Grim.

You ask the right question.

Unquestionably unquestionable, I think I’m

17. jrshabs1 says:

1. Team is not big or tough enough.

2. Goaltending..Habs no longer have the Halak safety net so when our starter stinks..now what?

3. JM’s coaching.

Go Habs Go!!

18. avatar_58 says:

Who’s fault is that exactly? I mean the players assume some of it, but come on. Aren’t Martin, Muller and Pearn watching? Couldn’t they have shouted or grabbed at the guy’s collar before he lept out there? Seems very lazy, I didn’t even see anyone coming off both times.

19. Everlasting1 says:

During these trying times, I think any good coach would offer to take the team out for some outdoor fun, like playing a few rounds of mini-golf, while in Fla. It’d help to take their mind off this disastrous road trip. The challenge would be to keep PK’s mouth shut as Gomer concentrates on his putt.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

20. Bugs says:

Boucher was considered a visionary in the AHL. Only natural to assume he would bring his acumen up to the big leagues. He gambled and it paid off. Good coach.

Unquestionably unquestionable, I think I’m

21. GrimJim says:

Hey Bugs, somethings been bugging me for a while. If you’re unquestionably unquestionable, why do you only “think” you’re L. Bugs Potter, esq., Herzog of ze Abominable Habsuchtig Brigade, Markgraf of ze Fearsome Flanell Flausen Flank, und devoted minion of ze Habsbros Order: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

22. krob1000 says:

last year JM would have sent out Gomez and Metro….maybe this year Gomez and Halpern….throw Gorges and Spacek on the point…yup that sounds very JM.

23. Bugs says:

It’s never “difficult to come up with fun and positive comments” for me, Mr.Ian. Maybe you’re not tryin hard enough.

Unquestionably unquestionable, I think I’m

24. HabFanSince72 says:

Yeah – it was genius of Boucher to send out St.Louis and Stamkos on that 5 on 3.

25. Bugs says:

I’m STILL at a loss for that one.

Unquestionably unquestionable, I think I’m

26. HabsFanInTampa says:

You’re absolutely correct. They’re probably on “vacation mode”.

It is getting very difficult to come up with fun and positive comments, the past few weeks.

But we know the wheels are still turning at the management level, even though they are not turning very well on the ice.

You can be sure, that the phone lines between our club and others are humming hotter now. Even though it takes a little longer these days for Bell to connect, having to go through India and all.!!

Rest assured that the right connection and deal will take place, within a short time.

One problem that has been discovered, was that Kovalev left 3 pair of his underwear in his Mtl. locker when he left us. Kostitsin, Pouliot and another one of our players have been wearing them.

I am sure this matter and a few more will be addressed once the boys get home and find out who will be receiving their pink slips in a week or two.

For all of my HIO friends, I wish you happier viewing in the New Year!!

Drive Carefully.!! Especially going by the Bell Center, there are people walking in a fog.!!

28. OverseasFan says:

Poor Carey. If I were him, I’d be frustrated, too.

29. HabFanSince72 says:

This is what I mean by unhinged.

30. krob1000 says:

I said this last night…it is too bad it is all or nothing with coaches….I wish some team somewhere would experiment with coaches who are treated like players orr rotate to keep things fresh. I know it sounds bizarre and very unconventional but guys messages often have a half life and sometimes a chagne or diff’t focus is maybe needed. It will never happen but it is sort of what Boucher bases his philosophy on …in changing the messages and how they are delivered…..if Kirk called the shots for a while here and there or someone else….I don’t know…but I look to the Caps situation and ours and in both cases the coaches have shown the ability to lead at times…but at others it appears the players just ignore them…..it does not mea the coach is a terrible coach and I wonder if it should mean a coach should go….since the players too are  at fault…but in a multi billion dollar industry you would think that someone somewhere wuold be a little innovative and try something new like hiring multiple coaches without rank…or hire a person who fits between a coaching staff and a gm and can make decisions…but witht he existing hierachy nnobody tells the coach what to do….someone needs to sometimes you know….coaches may scoff at the idea but I think a lot of coaching careers could be extended in fact.  Oh well…probably just another weird idea uot of a weird guy but….the problem is so common and there are so many resources and knowledgeable people out there and no sport appears to ever do anything like this…sometimes owners do but they are jsut guys with a ton of money.  It seems to me that Scotty Bowman in his later years has been acting in a somehwat similar capacity and we don;t know his authority but because he iss Scotty friggin Bowman his “advisory” role is likely taken seriously….is Gainey’s…is he the rightman for the job with so much bias? what if a guy like Bowman came and assessed things for 10 games….anyway…desperate times call for desperate measure and I am rambling and someone n here will soon tell me so….

31. LA Loyalist says:

I totally agree. I’m old and slow, too. Those guys were just examples. Is there anyone out there we can afford who can bring some leadership and accountability to the room?

Gionta and Gomez are a joke on and off the ice. I kept my mouth shut when Gionta was made captain, but he’s not doing the job. He was good last year, I don’t know what happened.

We have a coaching problem and we have a leadership on the team problem and we have a talent problem — though apparently the dressing rooms are very nice.

Nice work Bob.

32. SmartDog says:

To win in the NHL you have to be that kind of team that has the power to keep other teams chasing you.  We were one of those teams in Oct-Nov and now we’re not.  So confidence is obviously part of the story… but that’s a more complicated recipe than how Google picks top websites.

So with some thought, here are my top 3 reasons why I think we look more like the New York Islanders than the Montreal Canadiens.

3. UNDER-PERFORMING FORWARDS. Starting with Gomez who slept through the first 20 games and sits a -7 (worst on the team before the Wiz) but including Lapierre (tied for worst minus, -7) and Gionta, and Moen and Pyatt, who should be chipping in with more than 4 goals between them, the forwards on this team are not getting the job done.  (Cami, and AK, and even Pleks may not be playing up to speed either, especially lately but to me these guys have not been the problem – they’re at least in the ballpark of where they belong.)

2. OVER-RELIANCE ON PRICE. I said it last year when Martin would play Price until he stunk up the joint and then make him sit in his own poo, that Price needs to be sat BEFORE he hits the skids.  This year they doubled the load on the kid. He did well at first and now has broken like he did last year.  Auld is not great but he’s a decent back-up and with the alternative being to break Price, I don’t get the strategy.  It’s a gamble bascially, HOPING Price somehow becomes super-human and LIKES playing more games than any other goalie in the league.  If he was St. Patrick, he’d be on the next bus to Colorado, paying for the ticket himself. This is such an obviously stupid misuse of a quality goaltender, I can’t fathom it.  Which leads me to my #1 reason:

1. POOR COACHING DECISIONS. Yes Martin is a wily man, with great experience and a strong system. Whatever. At the NHL level it’s whoever blinks that loses, and Martin’s been pretty much butterfly-kissing his way through the winter. His treatment of PK is ridiculous. Think for just a minute of PK was on they Flyers what a good player they’d be turning him into. The constant juggling of lines to get slumping forwards going, riding Price to the tune of a targeted 75 games (!!!!), letting veterans continue to mess up game after game while punishing rookies for small mistakes (my favorite post this year was the one… forget who it was… with the lines about Martin saying “listen up guys, if you veterans mess up, watch out because some rookie is going to sit”…).  The fact is that Martin, for whatever strengths has at the very least not solved whatever balance issues are plaguing this team and more likely has caused them.

Those are my three stars of the Habs funk, what are yours?

33. HabFanSince72 says:

Nah I still felt good at that time.

The 2nd too many men on the ice penalty was a bummer, however.

34. mike g says:

Gotta agree with HFS72… I also defended JM all the time, but now its enough. His lack of emotion, intensity and sissy attitude has rubbed off too much on this team. Ive never seen a bunch of emotionless guys play hockey the way the Habs are now. Guy Boucher totally outcoached JM last night, he was able to adjust after a slow start while our team regressed to the stone ages. You saw in te eyes of the Tampa players that they were willibg to break their faces for theor coach. Our guys looked like they were watching a love movie….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

35. GrimJim says:

Best bet is tonight, even if it is the second half of a back-to-back. Teams generally have a let down in their first home game after a long road trip

(and you’re welcome for the “let down” set up)

36. Bugs says:

Did any of you start getting a bad feeling THE MOMENT Jimmy hit the post?

Woulda been up 2-0; Cédrick letting in his TWO first shots, mighta been pulled…

That friggin POST, man; tellin yehs, the turning point 2’n’half minutes in.

Unquestionably unquestionable, I think I’m

37. avatar_58 says:

Alright alright – on a positive note – The Wiz looked pretty good out there. Right off the bat he made a difference, his energy was even contagious. Unfortunately for him the team didn’t carry that energy to the second period.

Let’s hope he does the same with better results tonight. I don’t like him paired with Weber though. He’s offensive and he’s not good enough to cover Weber’s rookie mistakes.

Hamr – Subban
    Spacek – Wisniewski
    Gill – Weber

Or flip Weber / Wisniewski

38. Propwash says:

R.I.P Mr. Proudfoot. We lost a great person.

39. Chris F says:

The team has hit rock bottom. We need a shake up. Martin needs to go, besides teaching a tired 5 man system, which does work at times, JM is not capable of teaching to the level of Boucher in TB. Yes, TB has more fire power on one line than we do in all four combined, but we have speed, and we are not playing a system that allows us to use it. Maybe if we open things up we get shelled for 6 a game, I’m not sure, but we can’t score, and we are not going to win games 1-0, or make it to overtime and win shoot-out games 2-1.

Yes, we are tired, it looks like very tired. This road trip during the Holidays is the worst schedule in the league. These guys are human, they have families, too many games, too many nights. Whose responsible for allowing such a debacle in the schedule?? Is this league anti-habs or do we have some say in allowing this??

I’m tired of seeing Martin shake his head after terrible penalties, we are a man down more than any other team in the league. How many times can Pouliot hook someone in the neutral zone before he’s sat? Are you kidding me? Lapierre is useless, I’ve been saying for years he’s a glorified figure skater, but wow, can he skate. Did you see the 4 on 2? What a play he made with the puck to hold onto it and shoot from the goal line, so creative it made me sick.

For the love of God, “Give someone else a shot”. Bring up White, sit down Pouliot and Lapierre, these two guys are just terrible. Pouliot falls, hooks, and glides his way thru a game. He’s simply not playing like a man, I hope he’s reading this. Lapierre, he played well in the playoffs, what happened? I guess Dominic Moore was really important. We can’t score, and have no toughness, not a good combo. What can we do to push back after we get behind? Right now, it looks like absolutely nothing. Depressing to watch really. Our only goal came on speed and someone bull dozing their way into the oppositions net, there’s you first clue boys.

40. LA Loyalist says:

To my recollection (you would know better) going back many years we have always sucked in these winter Florida games, it’s like the players (previous team too) think they’re on vacation. It’s too bad, because yeah they should be like home games most of the time.

Sad, sad, sad…

41. The Cat says:

I agree. While I like 3rd line pluggers, JM just has too much of an adoration for players like Pyatt, Darche, or Dackell in the Ottawa days.

42. avatar_58 says:

Guerin is old and slow. Sorry.

43. EricInStL says:

Wow, RIP. Faced the last part of his life with courage and dignity. Pretty sobering considering we are harping on players who don’t give a crap what we think or say.

It’s easy when you’re on Mount Pious.

44. Hobie Hansen says:

Ok, forget about last night’s game, tonight’s game against the Panthers and the game Sunday against the Thrashers. Hopefully we can pullout a win in at least one of the next two games but whatever!

Send the boys home to bed right after Sunday afternoon’s game with Atlanta and get to work Monday morning. The Habs are off Mon-Wed next week and it looks as if it’s time to hold a mid-season, 3-day training camp. I’m no rocket scientist but I’m sure that’s what Jacques Martin is thinking.

Hopefully they can go over what made them so damn good the end of last year and into this year. Their passes aren’t as crisp, their out of position and the quality scoring chances aren’t coming as often.

There was one brief moment in last night’s game where Lapierre, Moen, Subban and Wisniewski, all through a hit in a span of 30 seconds…sent a chill up my spine. Besides that…garbage.

45. krob1000 says:

Eller is getting the OB treatment out there as of late fromt he refs….last night the refs let three attempted murders go,two muggings, four battery incidents and then a weak call on Eller….both teams were getting away with crazy stuff and then they would rnadomly call a weak one.  OB used to get that and Hal Gill still does. Most of Eller’s supposed stick infractions seem to be when his body is right next to the player and his feet are moving which to me does not indicate lazy…but he has to sharpen up and realize that they are going to call him for those for whatever reason.  Ironically Pk who is under everyones microscope nearly decapitated some guy who was nowhere near the puck…no call? To me the turning point of that game was when the Habs looked like they were going to battle and push back….Lapierre went around hitting everything that moved, PK picked up the cue and devastated someone along the boards…then….nothing…everyone just left them hanging and remained sleeping.  Laps did his job with trying to get some energy…we won’t talk about his 4 on 2 because he is supposed to be energy.

46. dre1744 says:

Thats why I said he looks too me like hes playing frustrated right now. But  then again you are right Carey could  give up 1 goal a game for the next 10 games  and we probably lose 5 of them cause this  team can’t  score.

47. avatar_58 says:

Upstairs? No, if he’s going he’s gone. I don’t want this clown anywhere near GM duties. Unless “upstairs” refers to paperwork that doesn’t have anything to do with trades. We don’t need more Darches and Pyatts on this team thanks.

The unfortunate reality is he’s going nowhere. Not after the ECF entry and not after doing so well up until this month. We have to just accept that.

I’m personally just tired of it. Did you notice the lines didn’t change once during the course of the game? Why is he rapidly changes after games and never during? If the game is already lost (when it was 3-1) why not try some gambles? Instead we saw the same 2 top lines fail miserably. I’m one of the guys who hates it when he juggles, but come on – if the game is done use it as practice.

But nope, same old Martin. It’s like he has no clue how to analyze their issues and offer up suggestions.

48. savethepuck says:

Maybe he is not playing with the confidence he had earlier in the year, but he is far from playing bad.  Stretches of confidence issues are normal for goaltenders when things are not going well. He is getting a lot of bad breaks of late, but that will change.

49. Everlasting1 says:

They have another home game tonight lol

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

50. EricInStL says:

Lucky for the Canadiens they have a lot of crap teams in this division but I believe they will just make the playoffs. In a familiar position scrapping to just make it.

It’s easy when you’re on Mount Pious.

51. adam76 says:

Guerin would have helped this team.

52. adam76 says:

agree 100%, Price was hung out to try last night.

53. HabFanSince72 says:

Time to kick Jacques Martin upstairs?

I’ve defended JM on here many times, more because the attacks on him (calling him a moron, etc …) have been excessive than because I think he’s doing an especially great job. Some of the anti-JM diatribes would be slightly over the top if aimed at – say – Conrad Black or Dick Cheney. Aimed at a hockey coach they are completely unhinged.

I  do think his coaching style was right for the team. I like that he keeps his cool, doesn’t yell at players or refs. Screamers don’t succeed in the long run, esp. nowadays. I also like that he’s more of a technocrat  than a cop. I think his keeping his cool contributed to our playoff run last year. Also, I don’t think he’s “lost the pedals” (French expression) the way Carbo did during the centennial season (remember Gorges as forward? Laraque on the powerplay?).

However, I wonder if he has the mental stamina and patience to continue coaching. Does he actually teach the young players? Does he have the day to day  energy to help dig the team out of this mess? Remember that NHL coach is a 7 day a week job. There are no days off. In Montreal, it comes with extra pressure.

You can even argue that some of his decisions have contributed to emptying the team’s tank (physically and emotionally). The high tempo defending. Playing Price every game. Playing his best attacking players on the PK (consistent with his main objective of not getting scored on) – what percentage of his ice time is Pleks on the PK?

You can’t blame him for a lot of our problems. Some of the players are just not performing. But when the entire team is making mistake after mistake and not competing, the only change you can make is the coach.

The plan was always for Martin to move into management anyway, where he would have a useful role.

So who should replace him? (And if the point is to change the mental state of the team it can’t be Muller, can it?)

54. Propwash says:

If the team plays like a bag of ****, then they deserve to lose, in fact they deserve to lose embarrassingly. Its like they don’t care anymore, and I’m starting to do the same.

Ex-CFL star, Tony Proudfoot, has passed away.

56. bertuzzisucks says:

A few notes/rant:

-Everybody’s harping on Spacek but Hamrlik has been brutal. He just stands there and pokes at people with one hand on his stick. At least Spacek can still skate.

-We need D.Desharnais now. He will get points!

-PK Subban played a very strong game out there with 2 quality big hits and big minutes (23)

-Pouilot is a waste of space out there. Takes way too many lazy minor penalties lately

-mentioning minors, Eller has been getting his share of slashing and tripping penalties

-Pyatt should not play fo us again as he provides NOTHING in the means of offense for us

-Let’s ride AULD- Price has been terrible the last 10 games except maybe 2 periods in Was.

-Frickin Frustrated right now.

57. HabsFanInTampa says:

Very disappointed that the Habs only showed up for the first period last night. Honestly, the crowd was about 55% Canadien fans. When we scored the first goal within the first minute The (St. Pete Times) Forum erupted with cheers. It actually felt I was in Montreal, minus the “toasties”. That being said, the players should have used this “home crowd” atmosphere towards their advantage and played their hearts out. but, for some reason unbeknownst to me, they didn’t capitalize on it. Tonight they play in Sunrise, FL which is literally a stone’s throw from Hollywood, FL where it seems ALL the Quebecois converge for the winter months. They should play like they do a “home” game and set the tone early by maybe crashing the net every once in a while or something. Wish I knew .

58. J_P says:

Even though JM should be fired, he won’t be.  We won’t be that lucky until its really too late.

59. J_P says:

Are you really talking about goaltending when this team scored all of 2 goals in its last three games?!

Wow. give Carey a break.  Dont you think hes fed up that his team hasnt come back to win him even one game yet this year? I know I would be fed up if I was in his shoes.

A team that doesnt score cant win, no matter how good their goalie plays.  Maybe jacques Martin will wake up on day and realize that.

60. JohnBellyful says:

I won’t be watching this afternoon’s game – my bucket list has me indexing the sock drawer instead – but I would like to contribute to the HIO discussion that will take place afterward. Got to keep up appearances, you know. I wonder, could one of you help me out and cover for me, so Boone and the boys can mark me down as present. All you have to do is fill in the blanks.

Well, that was some game. The Habs looked really _____, which should put an end to those who say they’re _____. I was particularly _____ by _____ whose _____ play _____ the team. ______, however, was _____. At least ________.
    Thank God for the end of the road trip. The team can begin 2011 knowing _____.

Thanks, I really appreciate it. Feel free to use your own words but if you’re stuck, here’s a few I’ve got to clear out before the year-end inventory of the word bin.

ineffacious, sinewy, effluential, sagacious, tillerless, Brobdingnagian, mummified, cosseted, uniniquitous, saffrony, Herculean, antidisestablishmentarianism, hunky-dory

— “A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.” —

61. avatar_58 says:

Hey am I the only one glad to see PK invisible on the ice btw? I’m so glad he stopped rushing into the zone or getting all offensive and stuff. No more soobie-doos either, just let the puck go by him and chase like the rest of the D. Much better. Soon he’ll be a big minus, just like everyone else!

GOOD JOB MARTIN! Who knows, with another benching he might just become the next Obyrne!

Now I’ll stop, because this much sarcasm this early in the morning isn’t good for me.

62. avatar_58 says:

It doesn’t matter how Carey is playing. There was a single goal in the game, and after 2-1 the team threw their hands up in frustration basically. Can’t win a game when you don’t score.

63. LA Loyalist says:

Oh man, that’s a prophetic topic. My friend who’s a LONG time Caps fan still kisses the ground on a daily basis to thank us for Rod Langway.

Chelios there were external factors that I guess could not be ignored, but I pretty much guaranty you a long list of teams would want PK, and we would be absolute fools to let him go.

We have 4 untouchables: PK, Price, Gorges, Cam-Cam (excluding Markov due to injury and Wiz as he just got here).

Everyone else? Sandwich and a road map.

64. dre1744 says:

I just hope Price is in a funk right now  but too me he is playing frustrated right now and he has gone back to the way he looked last season. If you watch him these last 9 games   he isn’t handling the puck too well anymore and making dumb passes. I noticed hes not tracking the puck aswell as he did at the beginning of the season.

As he did last season he gives his Dmen dirty looks after goals are scored. And just like last year pucks are going in off his defense men again.

I also noticed one more thing  JM  has turned Mike Cammalleri  into a defensive player.   Has anyone noticed that MIkey plays  on the penelty kill now  he never played there before!!!!!!!!

65. EricInStL says:

I think Guerin wanted to play for Pitt only.

And Owen Nolan + St.Laurent blvd = disaster….

It’s easy when you’re on Mount Pious.

66. EricInStL says:

ooops double post…. Happy new year to all.

It’s easy when you’re on Mount Pious.

67. EricInStL says:

I said that about 2 or 3 weeks ago. The NHL doesn’t give a crap about Canadian teams. And is using Quebec and Winnipeg as chips for keeping teams in their respective cities.

As long as saps will pay big money to fill out the rinks night after night, there is no incentive to “help” teams. Seriously, MTL is not a power broker in this league.

So we never seem to get the breaks.

I thought Boucher would have been the right coach and do WE SERIOUSLY THINK THAT PAYING A FIRED MARTIN would seriously hamper the Canadiens ?

1 step forward, 3 steps back.

Let’s face it, the Canadiens are a .500 team. Nothing more, nothing less.

It’s easy when you’re on Mount Pious.

68. LA Loyalist says:

QUESTION – in retrospect, should we have grabbed a Billy Guerin/Owen Nolan (inexpensively) purely for leadership, even knowing they were well past their best before date?

Obviously there are problems in the room. Obviously there is a problem behind the bench, probably it would not have been enough…

Or the fact that we are even considering it a further indictment of our millionaire intangibles?

“too small, too soft, too intangible”

69. krob1000 says:

God no!!! there is no way Spacek or Andrei could eat just one…..

70. novahab says:

If they come back home and play two game in a row like last night game someone is going. The singing you will hear will be  boos and I think JM may want to look up a real estate agent.

71. LTHF says:

72. novahab says:

JM has losted this team they are not playing for him. This is certainly not the same team that played earlier in the year. The sad part is our real coach was behind the other bench last night and he gone. Time to say good bye to JM or start moving players because anyone can see this team is not playing for this coach. Well at least TSN, Sportnet, the score and especially the CBC are very happy. The Habs are now as bad as the Leafs if not worst right now. I also think the Molsons need to take some credit for this, they havn’t stuck up for this team because of the way the refs screwed them so offen last year and this year. Campbell said he gets calls from most GMs and owner complaining about the refs. Now he said most with one exception the Montreal Canadiens. Now the class act of the league dosn’t complain but if you don’t stand up for yourself you get walked over. The Molsons have to get in front of a mic and tell the fans and the players that this team will not be a door mat for he refs or the league anymore.

73. Bugs says:

Just puttin this out there: The Pac-Man has yet to score with a SHOT ON GOAL.

Unquestionably unquestionable, I think I’m

74. EricInStL says:

PK Subban = Rod Langway.

You know what I mean….

I would laugh my JM off if Phily would sign him to an offer sheet once he becomes a RFA.

It’s easy when you’re on Mount Pious.

75. J Haul says:

“Right now, we’re a fragile team”… who the hell says that about their own team?! Leave that kind of nonsense for the analysts and get this team going Gionta!