HIO show is now live with Jacques Demers as special guest

Jacques Demers, the last coach to lead the Canadiens to a Stanley Cup championship in 1993, is the guest on our second Hockey Inside/Out show that is now available on hockeyinsideout.com/show or by clicking on the “H Show” link to the right.

Demers, who is now a senator in Ottawa, joined Gazette sports editor Stu Cowan and columnist Dave Stubbs for a discussion looking back at that championship team and he also comments on the current Habs.

Demers talks about the great mix of francophone and anglophone players on that 1993 team and the important role character played on that squad. And he recalls telling the players before that season started that they were going to “shock the hockey world.”

They certainly did, winning 10 straight overtime games en route to the championship, and Demers shares some of his personal memories from that special night at the Forum when the Canadiens hoisted the Cup for the 24th time in franchise history.

A special thanks to all the HIO fans from across North America who emailed in their questions for Demers. The winner of the HIO gift bag is Chris Barnes of Winnipeg for sending in the following question, which Demers answers on the show:

“At what moment in the 1993 playoff run did it hit you that the team was going to win it all? For me it was when (Paul) DiPietro completed the hat trick to finish off the Nords in the first round.”

Chris Nilan was the special guest on the first episode of the HIO show. Look for the third episode in mid-April.

The Canadiens practised Monday in Brossard as they prepare for back-to-back games Tuesday in Pittsburgh and Wednesday in Boston.

Carey Price will get the start in net on Tuesday against the Penguins in a game that will be a ”huge challenge for us,” coach Michel Therrien said.

“Right now this is the hottest team in the NHL,” Therrien said of the Penguins, who have won 12 games in a row.

Rene Bourque, who has been out with a concussion, hasn’t skated since last Thursday when the Canadiens were on Long Island, N.Y.

“He doesn’t progress like we were hoping,” Therrien said. “So that’s the frustrating part with a consussion.”

The other players not travelling with the Canadiens to Pittsburgh are Raphael Diaz, who is also out with a concussion, Ryan White (lower-body injury) and Brandon Prust, who suffered a first-grade separation of his left shoulder on March 9 against the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Prust skated on his own on Monday with Pierre Allard, the Canadiens’ strength and conditioning coach.

“It’s coming along,” Prust said. “We’re getting there.

“We’re just making sure it’s going to be 100 per cent when … I get back. It’s not 100 per cent yet, but it’s getting close.”

Jeff Halpern, claimed off waivers Saturday from the New York Rangers, practised with his new teammates for the first time Monday.

The lines at practice were: Ryder-Plekanec-Gionta; Galchenyuk-Eller-Armstrong; Moen-Halpern-Dumont; Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher. Blunden was the odd man out.

Defence pairings were: Gorges-Subban; Markov-Emelin; Tinordi-Bouillon; Weber-Kaberle.

1. Danno says:

Leafs 2 Bruins 0

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

2. kirbhabs says:

Semin 7 mil/y…. Yikes. What is Vanek worth soon? Is it better to have a team made up like our HABS…. Smaller salaries and Team concept, or is it better to have a couple super stars and big contracts….

3. HNS says:

NESN announcers are big time blowbags. When penalties are called on visiting teams they’ll tell you how fair the officiating is until Booins get scored on. Now they’re saying the play was a Leafs offside on that goal. FU booins.

4. Mavid says:

Iggy as a Hab would be downright delicious :twisted:

5. Danno says:

Leafs 1 Bruins 0

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

Safe to say Carolina has made their splash and have extinguished their reserves in signing Semin? That is a big load of money they have given Mr. Semin.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Like I said below…they blew their load on this deal…never gets old.

7. habstrinifan says:

Quintissential contenders versus incandescent champion!

8. habstrinifan says:

According to some posters here the following facts are self evident today March 25th /2013.

The Pittsburgh Penguins do not have a recognition of the importance of keeping your drafts picks… as we do.

The Pittsburgh Penguins do not understand the legitimacy of being a ‘perennial contender’… as we do.

The Pittsburgh Penguins prospects are not as prospectively valuable as our Prospects are… which is why they can trade them.

The Piitsburgh Penguins cannot see value of being a contender cause of their reckless drive to be a champion.

Get what am saying!
    Remember when Weber and Atsvin and Nash and LeBlanc and (you fill in the blank)______________. could/should not be parted with.

9. Shanahan’s explanation for not suspending Nash (http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=203576):

Kopecky turns prior to contact.

Head not targeted.

Head not principal point of contact.

Pure B.S. Nash leaves his feet, hits Kopecky’s head plain as day, and makes contact with the head at the same time as he hits the back. I thought the jumping alone was enough for an automatic suspension. This stuff makes my blood boil.

• twilighthours says:

I agree with those three points: he turned, head not targeted, not first contact.

Nash definitely jumped, can’t argue that. It’s an iffy one – I can see how Nash got off.

• His head wasn’t the first point of contact, but it looked like simultaneous contact with his head and his back. And Kopecky turns waaaay before Nash blindsides him.

I’m admittedly not a hockey player, and I don’t have any on-ice experience with the speed of a professional game, but I have to think that the replay shows Nash has tons of time to change course — or at the very least, refrain from leaping into the back of Kopecky’s head.

• otter649 says:

Sounds like the Malone hit on Campoli because Campoli moved……

10. topher5468 says:

Colton Orr, what an idiot,

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

11. frontenac1 says:

Iggy. Or no Iggy , Bruins lost the Mojo. Watch out for the Jets and Pens this year amigos.

12. twilighthours says:

Regarding that Semin contract and if he’s worth it, I think Troy Brouwer’s comments are telling:

• dorvalhabsfan says:

except last season washington made the playoffs, this season its not looking so good

Go Habs Go

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I don’t know. I remember one game this year when Subban hit him and he disappeared right after. Was not impressed…

13. jols101 says:

Look at the big bad Bruins playing like well trained puppies. It’s cause the Laff’s have a few big dogs that will bite back.

Waite till our tired, undersized Habs show up on Wed. night, they will certainly try to turn it into a goon fest.

• Ron says:

It sure looks that way. They haven’t thrown a hard body slam all period. Look very unsure of themselves. I do think that the laffs muscle players are keeping the bruins holding back. If it continues this game look out Wednesday as you say.

14. Trisomy 21 says:

For those interested in advanced stats:

Andrew Berkshire ‏@AndrewBerkshire
    The Habs are 2nd in the NHL in Fenwick tied yet fans say “this isn’t our year”. It’s never your year, you MAKE it your year.

Personally I think the fact trophies aren’t given out for having a high fenwick or corsi, speaks for their usefulness.

• Mark C says:

No trophies are given for most fights, most creases cleared, and most clutch saves either and a lot of people make a big deal about those things.

• christophor says:

It’s also a very small sample size, which is something you need to keep in mind when you’re either relying on or knocking the use of these numbers.

I do think the Habs are legit. I just think that they could be really good for a while, starting in a couple years.

• The Jackal says:

It’s easy to knock stats because if you don’t know what they mean then you don’t know what it is saying, but they do give a clear picture and different perspective that may be different from what is observed.

All that Berkshire means is that the Habs are 2nd in possession, that suggests that they push the play and have less scoring chances against them, which is something we have seen this season. That’s a pretty good thing. I think the Habs are a great team and will get better. We can win this year for sure, maybe we are not the favourites, but we are not pushovers for sure!

• twilighthours says:

This is all assuming that corsi or fenwick are the best indicators of possession. That may not be to case at all. Right now, they are used as gospel to indicate possession. I’m holding out for an actual possession time measurement to be recorded.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Does Fenwick have anything to do with goals scored or against? Just curious…

15. If Bergevin wants Iginla, he should go and get him — on July 1st, when all it costs us is cap space.

With no urgency, a winning team and his own job more than secure, MB is too smart to mortgage the future right now.

16. christophor says:

Here’s Kerry Fraser doing Shanahan’s job better than Shanahan:

17. Hobie Hansen says:

If the Habs and Bruins played a seven game series, in the 1st round, not likely to happen, I’d give the Habs a 50/50 shot.

You’d have to image the series would be a very physical one with a couple of overtimes.

So the question is, do the Candiens have a roster that will defend and score against larger opponents and do so over four rounds without breaking down?

Can the Habs completely catch fire or completely pull it all together at the right time, enough so to beat the Bruins and Penguins and more?

You can debate about the cost of Doug Murray but he’s exactly the type of player Montreal needed.

• christophor says:

Nice post.

Your last sentence is exactly right. I just think the cost is too high this year. Maybe if it were a surer thing – like in Pitt’s case – then I’d say go for it (not to say the Habs don’t have a shot this year).

• Hobie Hansen says:

I keep telling myself not to be selfish and there’s many long playoff runs for the Canadiens on the horizon. But I hope Bergevin can make one more sneaky move before the deadline to shore up our team a bit.

18. frontenac1 says:

Hola amigos! I like our roster as is. Just need one Beast Enforcer to ride shotgun for our young skilled guys . I have already given a couple of suggestions. I am checking out a few more Lads in the KHL and will report back soon. Saludos!

19. tyshow89 says:

I wonder if Pitt makes those trades (now for higher then market value IMO)
    because they want to make it more difficult for other teams to acquire big name help in addition to getting help themselves of course…. and Pitts can afford to give up prospects to pull off such a scheme.

• tyshow89 says:

that being said… I really do not think this matters for the habs… Do not expect them to do much if anything… I mean we got Halpern that solidifies the cup right there, no?

20. topher5468 says:

Regarding the HIO show, how do I get a cool HIO coffee mug, they’re sweet.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

21. Skeptical says:

Tough teams only pick on soft teams like the Habs. Toronto and Boston will play tough but they won’t play dirty ….

22. topher5468 says:

Watch TSN is SD, or watch NESN in HD and listen to Jerk Edwards, Hmm, what to do, Not a choice really, I think I’ll have some Chicken Parm,

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

23. Strummer says:

So Rutherford signed Semin for 5 years and $35 million?

A point-a-game guy is worth this?

This is the same guy that signed Kaberle to his deal. Maybe he’ll take him back?

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• HabFanSince72 says:

That is really excessive. Semin has a ppg in 30 games this year but had 54 points in the last two seasons.

I mean … $7M? That is Scott Gomez money!

• dorvalhabsfan says:

both those seasons, he was injured.. in my opinion 54 points in 57 games is not too shabby.. look at his intangibles.. hye’s a smart hockey player… big.. fast.. great hands good shot good vision… is not afraid to play in the tough areas…… but unfortunately he does not do that game in game out… 7 mill isnt an awful deal… but it is overpaying but only by about a mill tops

Go Habs Go

24. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Really glad we went through the lockout to avoid crazy contracts.

25. Danno says:

Bruins vs Leafs tonight.

I’m hoping they kick the living crap out of each other. But judging from their previous encounter it looks like they made a deal not to goon each other.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

26. Habitant in Surrey says:

…to Jerome Iginla; …PLEASE !!! don’t !!!

…any team but da Booins !

…I’m a grow from within Guy …but, if there was one player from another team not named Crosby, Malkin or Ovechkin I want to see in a Habs Flannelle …it is Iggy

…don’t make Me weep Jerome :(

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Question is, how much are you willing to pay for him? Beaulieau and a pick and maybe even more?

I live in Calgary….nothing but respect for Iggy and all he’s done. But I don’t think he fits in with what MB is doing in Montreal. We’re a good, young team. Not sure Iggy is a fit at that price.

Though I’d hate to see him go to the Bruins, for sure. Hopefully it’s the Kings

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I have not admittedly watched Iginla or Calgary play for quite awhile, but his past performances for Team Canada and vs the Canucks in past seasons are indelible

…playing for Montreal in the playoffs I think he would be re-born, and Montreal Fans would love him

…but, unless Feaster is drunk He will ask for Our Future, and that is not what I would do

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Yep, that’s the problem. Sentimentally and for this year’s playoffs, I’d love to have him. Heck, even for next season. But I’m excited for Beaulieau’s career as a Hab.

Not that it’d definitely be Beaulieau, but a similar calibre player. And for where this team is at, think it’s best to keep developing the young guys. The team is doing really well right now with a lot of responsibility for a lot of young guys. Think MB should let them carry it. Even if we don’t go all the way, it’s a great year to build on.

Then again…you don’t take risks, you don’t win….hahaha

• habstrinifan says:

I am with you Mr….Surrey. I would have a hockey orgams if Iginla signs with Montreal. And I think in 3 or 4 games Iginla and the city of MTL will have one together. This guy is meant to be a HAB…not a Bruin… and not a Leaf of course.

• Bripro says:

Pull out the Kleenex Chris, ’cause we’re not on his wish list.
      You’re closer to him than we are, so you should invite him for a drink and try a little old-time convincing.
      If you give me a heads up, I can send some help. ;)

27. Adidess says:

5 yrs/7 mil per is a major commitment.

It means Semin will stick in Carolina for a long time. Some probably expect Carolina will have a mess in her hands towards the end.

28. Hobie Hansen says:

Looking at the Pens defense. Orpik, Murray and Engelland. I think you’re risking your life entering the corner in the Pittsburgh end as much as you would be in Boston now?

Not too far down the road Tinordi will have settled in and help make things that way in Montreal. Definitely a crucial ingredient, as the Pens and Bruins will attest to.

• Phil C says:

Agreed, everyone complains about the small forwards, but it is the small D that is the greater concern. The Habs’ strong forecheck has been insulating the D from having to spend too much time in their own corners like last year. I guess it works, it plays to their strengths.

29. Bripro says:

We are succeeding in swaying the enemy!!!
    As many of you know, my son is a Bruins’ fan. He had his girlfriend over on the weekend, and she was asking why he doesn’t root for Montreal. (I like her already.)
    He explained that after having met and talked for 20 minutes with Saku, that there was no reason why the Habs couldn’t have made an effort to keep him.
    HOWEVER…. (he tried to keep this part out of my earshot)
    They were sitting in the family room where I was watching the game saturday night, and he whispered to her
    “That’s PK Subban. He’s a beast.”
    Later on, the discussion fell on the Bruins, and (again whispering) he called Chara a goon, and Marchand the rat!
    “I like the Habs this year. I think I like them better than the Bruins, for the first time in a long time.”
    I can’t take full credit. His son and I have been screaming “Go Habs Go” for months now. And the little guy calls the Bs “the bad guys, eh g-pa?”
    SUCCESS!!!

30. Mavid says:

I love hockey..alot

31. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Alex Semin extended by Carolina…5 years/ 7million per.

32. Bripro says:

I don’t know if it’s been posted, but Tampa will be announcing the appointment of Jon Cooper as the new head coach.

33. Skeptical says:

Unless there’s a upset along the way. I say one of these teams will win it all.

Pittsburgh, Boston, Chicago, Anaheim,

Right now my choice would be “CHICAGO”

34. Marc10 says:

If the asking price for Iggy is that high, ie, a first rounder and a prospect or two, I don’t see it.

The Bruins and Kings won’t do it… It’s too rich for teams that already have good chemistry and solid lineups.

Feaster will have to lower his ask. Maybe a first rounder and a mid-level prospect or J Bernier and a low pick.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Bruins did it before with Kaberle…

• Hobie Hansen says:

It’s important to build through youth, not waste young players on rentals but the ultimate goal is to win the Stanley Cup.

You put Iginla on Boston, wow, they are instantly tied with Pittsburgh, if they’re not already, to make it to the finals.

It makes them an even better team instantly and a Stanley cup favorite.

• topher5468 says:

I heard the Flames want Malcolm Subban for Iginla, Boston says no, Not sure why though, Rask is young and appears to be the real deal, It is a high price for a rental I guess.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

35. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I hate asking this question because I must have inquired at least 5 or 6 times over the past year +

…but, is Alexander Avstin still a member of the Bulldogs ???

…what’s the deal with Avstin ? …what a waste it seems

36. Chuck says:

Hmmm… the Blue Jays have put themselves together quite a squad (on paper, at least) and the Habs look like a lock for the playoffs. Each team hasn’t won a championship in 20 years…

Hey, a guy can dream, can’t he?

___________________________________________________

37. Habitant in Surrey says:

…really enjoyed Jacques Demers interview by Stu & Dave

…as usual great questions, and Jacques, as usual, a good interview

38. NoTinFoilCups says:

The so called “suckers” in Pittsburgh have dipped regularly before the trade deadline. Doesn’t seem to have done them much harm.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

They’ve lost two years in a row in the first round. If Fleury/Voukon don’t show up…

• B says:

The season before that they lost to Montreal in the 2nd round :)

–Go Habs Go!–

• Chuck says:

Yeah… bunch of hacks. Crosby and Malkin who? ;)

___________________________________________________

Yeah losers…take their names off the Cup! :lol:

• B says:

They have won 12 playoff games in the previous 3 seasons, same as Montreal. We will have to wait to see how things work out this season.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Hobie Hansen says:

Pittsburgh completely opens up and the games turn wild. Not sure why they don’t tighten things up a bit?

Report on how we are positioned in the 30 team league, opposed to last week.

Points—-45, We are in 4th place.. Last week 42 points for 3rd.

Goals F—98, We are in 5th place. Last week 90 goals for 2nd.

Goals A—77, We are in 7th place. Last week 70 against for 8th.

Goal Diff+21, We are in 5th place.. Last week +20 Diff for 5th.

Points are very tight in the standings this year. Any team that goes on a short losing streak, will find themselves out of the play offs. Including the Hab’s!

40. Habitant in Surrey says:

…revisiting the ’93 Cup run reminds Me how disconcerting it is for Me listening to many of You Guys discussing off-the-wall trades

…I just recall Leclaire, Patrick, and Desjardins …among many, many others

…and, I need to hyperventilate :)

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

41. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Anyone think the Leafs have a chance in the playoffs this year? I can’t see them winning a series with their goalies and D, but not sure if that’s just my hatred for them clouding facts, haha.

• powdered toastmann says:

I would not take ‘em lightly.

• donmarco says:

I sure wouldn’t want to play them.

• johnnylarue says:

The way I see it, the Leafs are currently 5 points away from 9th place, and the Canes have two games in hand.

For the time being, could we not simply continue to work under the pretense that “Leafs” and “Playoffs” will remain mutually exclusive terms for the foreseeable future? It’ll be easier on everyone that way.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Imagine if the Habs knock them out of the playoffs in the final game of the season in Toronto? That would be orgasmic…lol!

• Sean Bonjovi says:

With Kovalchuk injured, Tortorella coaching the Rangers, major holes on the Carolina, Buffalo, Islanders, and Philadelphia rosters, and with Washington having dug themselves so deep in a hole a the beginning of the season I think the Leafs definitely have a chance to make the playoffs.

42. SteverenO says:

Anyone know if Aaron Asham is hurt? he has only played in 13 games this year.

I always liked him,wished we never lost him, and would be happy to have him back even at 26 years old. I think he would be an upgrade on Moen, Armstrong, (both hockey wise and toughness wise as well)

We had a chance to get him a few years ago prior to the 2008/2009 season. We signed Laraque as a free agent for $2 million/year just a few days before the Flyers signed Asham for $700K.

regards,

Steve O.

43. HabFab says:

Pittsburgh gearing up for a Cup run. Chicago sitting pretty ready to rumble. The Bruins, Ducks and Habs ready to pounce should one of those two falter.Bring it on baby!

44. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

BTW adding Morrow to a line with Crosby is a lot different than adding him to a line with anyone else. Pascal Dupuis is tied for the lead in even strength goals for heaven’s sake…

45. HabFanSince72 says:

In other news.

I hope this offers better protection against viruses than his other products.

46. This trade the Pens made isn’t even news worthy, early int he regular season (82 games) this would be in the transaction reports. He’s a nobody that the Pens overpaid for.

I can`t be the only one who thinks this?

Bernier to Montreal, I`m gonna be sick :lol:

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

47. Sportfan says:

Prust on his injury “We are hoping its not to much longer” frankly thats how we ALL feel haha.

48. Rad says:

A 2nd Rounder and a 3rd Rounder for Douglas Murray is much more palatable that 2 2nd Rounders, especially if the 2 picks are not in the same year. I wonder if Bergevin looked at that deal quite closely before turning it down, or if the Montreal brass simply is not as high on Murray as Pittsburgh. At 240 lbs, Murray would certainly have provided the net-clearing presence the Habs need on the back end.

Another question: why did San Jose let him go?

49. SteverenO says:

It`s been said that they cannot risk playing Kablerle for fear he may get injured, and that would jeopardize a buyout.

Are the cap rules such that an injured player injured player salary counts against the teams salary cap?

If two top players go on long term IR their team cannot add salary to replace them? That doesnt seem fair,. can anyone corroborate?

Thanks,

Steve O.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

You can’t compliance buyout an injured player is the issue.

Exactly he then becomes a player on your roster again upon returning to health. In other words Habs could be stuck with him again all next year if injured throughout the offseason, which is the only time compliance buyout can occur.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Would be rather tempting to feign an injury in practice, eh?

• mrhabby says:

i wonder if his agent has asked for a trade . he is just sitting collecting a paycheck doing squat.

• Rad says:

I’m sure Bergevin would love to accommodate a trade. The problem is, none of the other 29 GMs are interested.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

You know, at the deadline, a team with a struggling PP…you never know. But I highly, highly doubt it. I think it’s best to pretend he doesn’t exist right now.

• SteverenO says:

So if I understand correcdtly, if injured they cannot buy him out but his salary wont count against the cap while he ion the IR, right?

The only risk then is if he gets injured just enough to put him out for the year (including summer) but not badly enough to keep him out next year.

Not sure that’s a good enough reason to keep him out, considering that playing him may

a) help us win games
        and
        b) lead to someone taking him off our hands.

regards,

Steve O.

• HabFab says:

If a player is on the LTIR, a team can name a designated replacement whose salary must not exceed the player on the LTIR. The team can then EXCEED the Salary Cap by this second player’s salary. The team, upon the LTIR player returning to the roster must immediately revert to the Salary Cap.

Remember written by lawyers, for lawyers and the destruction of mankind.

50. Skeptical says:

Pittsburgh is going all out to win the cup with these moves. They had a strong team and just made it better.

Habs are not going to win the cup this year. Why waste our future talent on trades unless the Habs will benefit long term ….

I like the suggestion of trading Price and Gionta for Bernier and Giroux. I think all teams involved would benefit.

51. Propwash says:

If Prust, Diaz, and Bourque come back prior to the playoffs, right there are 3 good acquisitions coming back without giving anyone up. The caveat is if Diaz and Bourque get over their concussions in time.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Prust should be back easily. The Habs can live without Diaz. Bourque will be tough. Imagine him with Eller and Chucky? Fingers crossed…

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

If Bourque looks like he isn’t going to be ready to be back, that’s the one type of move I see MB pulling. No way Armstrong is on that line for the playoffs. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s Ryder that moves down to the third line and a bigger guy with Pleks and Gio.

52. shiram says:

Whatever happens pertaining to the trade deadline, this year will mark a first real test for many young players we have, so many of them have not played a single playoff games, or have done so in more limited role than they now hold.
    It is then that veteran leadership like that which Gionta brings will come into full effect.

53. jedimyrmidon says:

As strange as this sounds for such a storied franchise, the Canadiens organization has not matured yet considering the complete overhaul from GM on down last spring/summer.

The Pens, on the other hand, have a solid core on their hand that is young but experienced (Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Neal) and a solid supporting cast. They have also accumulated solid prospect depth over the past few years.

As such, this is why they can gamble with their picks to add rental players. They are a group that is ready to push (once again) for the Stanley Cup after recently winning it (2009)

Comparing the two states of organizational ‘readiness’, this is why I think that Bergevin shouldn’t trade away picks or prospects for short term players. Pure hockey deals are different of course (trading for a player that will be useful beyond this season). Even then, I would hope that Bergenvin would be extremely hesitant to part with the organization’s top prospects and would adopt a hardline stance on them like other GMs have with theirs.

(Hypothetically, if parting with a top prospect, he better be the centerpiece of the deal, not just a guy thrown in as it seems was the case with McDonagh.)

54. jols101 says:

Since everyone is throwing out crazy trades-

Gorges and Gionta to St.Louis for Chris Stewart.

3rd round pick to Pittsburgh for Engelland.

55. Habfan17 says:

With the cost to the Penguins for defenceman Douglas Murray, a 33 year old dman with 3 points and a minus 8, being a 2nd round pick plus a conditional pick then the cost for decent players will be way too high. San Jose will expect a lot more for Clowe. I don’t think it is worth it and I hope that Bergevin stands pat at the deadline.

Habfan17

• Loonie says:

What if he can get Vinny Prospal for a third round pick?

Don’t fall victim to this market crap Steve. If Bergevin’s going to make a big move it’ll be for a contributor who isn’t over the hill like Morrow or Iginla.

The people calling these huge overpayments aren’t mentioning the third round pick the Pens got back in the Morrow deal or that the second pick in the Murray deal being conditional.

• Bigdawg says:

I’d love Prospal but doubt they will move him. He has been great for them.

If I’m Pits, I’m thinking ‘all the way’ – you have to see the trade as two seconds!! If not then its a second to ‘not make it’. Still an overpayment.

• Habfan17 says:

Still, I would not do it at this point. I like the Halpern pick up. I would rather Bergevin try to sign one or two of the NCAA free agents and keep all the picks until the draft. Then Bergevin would have lots of options to tade up or trade for a player who could help long term on the top two lines.

Habfan17

• Habfan17 says:

Actually, I will make one change to my comment. If Chicago would take Avtsin for Beach I would do it. A change of scenery may help both.

Habfan17

• christophor says:

It was B.Morrow and a 3rd for J.Morrow and a 5th. Not just an extra 3rd for Pitt.

Also, the difference between over-payment or not over-payment can’t really be the difference between package A (two 2nds) and package B (2nd and 2nd/3rd). Hard to see the room there for your argument to o through.

• Loonie says:

The correlation that I was trying to debunk in that post but foolishly didn’t mention was the suggestion that those two trades just established the market.

• Habfan17 says:

It may not establish it, but it is an indicator and the prices will only go up! Some Gm’s seem to lose their sanity every year even though there are many more examples of the trades not working out than there are for ones that did.

Habfan17

• Loonie says:

Prices for similar players. Not for all rentals. And that’s the problem with generalizations.

• Habfan17 says:

It isn’t generalizing. Everyone was hard on Hal Gill as a Hab. He was too slow, he wasn’t physical enough, and then the Habs got a 2nd round pick for him. They should not have gotten better than a 2rd or 4th round in my opinion.

Habfan17

It’s generalizing Steve.

Nasvhille acquired one of the better penalty killers in the league for a 2nd round pick.

Brian Rolston for Yannick Riendeau and Marc Cantin
            Commodore for a 7th
            Higgins for Oberg and a 3rd
            Lapierre for Perreault and a 3rd
            Modin for a 7th
            Mitchell for a 7th
            Wideman for Hauswirth and a 3rd.

There are more teams that get good value for their rentals than teams who overpay.

• mdp2011 says:

Iginla is not over the hill, he can still play. He has 22 points on a horrible team, that’s only 3 points behind the Habs leaders. I wouldn’t pay what Calgary is asking and he probably won’t want to come here, but he would great addition to the Habs.

• Habfan17 says:

I do like Iggy and would love to see him for a couple of seasons as a Hab, but only if he ends up being a rental and they could sign him as a UFA.

Habfan17

56. jedimyrmidon says:

The thing to remember about the Habs 2nd rounders available:

- the Calgary, Nashville ones might essentially be low first round picks
    - the Habs’ 2nd rounder might be closer to the one Pittsburgh traded

The Pens have made a very strong push to go all the way; their second rounder will likely be very close in value to a 3rd rounder.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Second rounders are such a crapshoot, but if nothing else I’d definitely hold on to that Calgary one, especially with such a supposedly deep draft this year. You could end up with the bookends, or the guy in the middle:

48 Joey Ryan (Defence)
      49 Ben Maxwell (Centre)
      50 Milan Lucic (Left Wing)
      51 Nigel Williams (Defence)
      52 Keith Seabrook (Defence)

• jedimyrmidon says:

Or you could end up with PK Subban, Shea Weber or Kris Letang.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Yep, that’s the point I’m making above about the bookends and the guy in the middle (see #50, haha)

• jedimyrmidon says:

Ooh, right, haha.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Your point is true though…the second round unearths some gems. And the opposite, haha.

What I like is that by having three cracks at it, and Timmins doing the cracking, we obviously have a better chance of discovering one of the gems. If one of those three contributes quality to the team, I’d be happy.

• Habfan17 says:

There was a great article last summer about how 2nd rounders were more valuable than first rounders after the top 5 and that more second rounders make it than first rounders. I will try to remember where I read it and see if the link is still there. The writer posted stats to back it up.

Habfan17

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Last year the general consensus was that the draft was not that deep. Then…bang: Collberg, Thrower, Bozon and Hudon. Who knows what Timmins will do this year?

• HabFanSince72 says:

A 2nd rounder is worth more when Timmins is picking.

• Loonie says:

Wow. You deviated from the mathematical uniformity of draft slots and their value.

I’m impressed.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Huh?

• Loonie says:

You’ve often researched and calculated the probability of a pick at “x” spot turning into a productive NHL player and forgive me but given no consideration to the relative abilities or history of each scouting department in the league.

30% may be the uniform probability of the #15 pick of the draft working out but when you’ve used data like that before you haven’t factored in the increased probability for each team’s pick.

That’s all.

• HabFanSince72 says:

The price of eggs is determined by the market. The taste of the omelette is determined by the chef’s abilities.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Wholeheartedly agree. Here’s hoping! Three second rounders this year is the one gift Gauthier left us.

• jedimyrmidon says:

I think you’re right.

I genuinely believe that with Timmins, the odds of a 2nd round choice making the NHL is increased.

If I’m not mistaken, the last time he had a 2nd round pick before the 2012 draft was in the 2008 draft where the Habs drafted Kristo. Neglecting the fact that he hasn’t signed with the Habs yet, he certainly does not appear to be a bust and is looking more and more like a very solid prospect. And the year before that was when the Habs drafted PK Subban.

• Habfan17 says:

It was also pointed out that the Habs are at the top of the NHL as far as draft picks going on to play regularly in the league, although a good many of them ended up doing it on other teams. The drafting was great with Timmins, the player development was bad. Bergevin took steps to correct that last summer.

Habfan17

Pittsburgh is a great example of what happens when a team is fortunate to get 3 great players through tanking or league help the one year. They have a core of players whom they can build around for years and are able to trade draft picks for rentals. Ray Shero walked into a good setup and has done a masterful job at trade deadlines to acquire the talent needed to keep this team as a perennial Stanley Cup contender. Good on them, hopefully we can be in this same situation a couple years from now.

• mrhabby says:

are you saying we should tank again.

No I am hopeful that Galchenyuk is our tank product, and that Timmins skillsets combined with a front office who will hopefully do a better job of developing our talent can yield similar quality players. We got lucky in getting PK as late as we did, we have Price in net, we just need to get one more game breaker at forward and we too could have a great core to build around.

Max is close to that, but still doesn’t seem to be elite, like a Stamkos, Malkin, Toews, Kane etc….

Not sure how we get that one more stud, but hopefully we can.

• The Jackal says:

Don’t think Max is elite but is really good.
          Could he be elite? I think that with the right players he can produce at that level. I hope he crashes the net more and takes better shots, that will definitely help him reach the next level.
          I think he works well with DD, but maybe having a guy like… Cole of 11-12 would be better than Gally. If we can find that guy, we would be set.

• Loonie says:

You were very close to opening yourself up to some DD criticism there. “With better players”.

Galchenyuk in a couple of years could well make Max a fourty-fifty goal guy.

• Habfan17 says:

Not to mention the late round gems that Timmins keeps finding, Gallagher and perhaps Dietz!

Habfan17

• Cal says:

Ask the Oilers. (giggle)

• HabFanSince72 says:

He also robbed Dallas blind on that Neal trade.

Indeed, I still don’t understand why they gave up on him during his RFA years. Shero fleeced the Stars.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Especially considering Neal signed for only 5 million per…

• otter649 says:

Dallas had 3 top left wingers Benn-Ericksson-Neal & needed a defenseman so Dallas thought the other two were better for the team than Neal at the time so a trade was made and turned out well for both Pens & Stars……

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Good post. The Habs core should be established 1-2 years from now (Price, Subban, Tinordi, Max, Chucky, Eller, Gally). Then, with a stocked prospect pool, MB can make some moves.

• NL Hab says:

Pittsburgh has certainly gone all in. I see a lot of people talking about how good a GM Shero is. Let’s be honest here. Having the good fortunes of getting a Crosby, Malkin and Fleury as draft picks don’t help. They have given up a lot of the future in the past 2 days to get an aging center and a stay at home defencemen. I think they could have won the cup with the team they have. I think this 100% certainly puts them as the favorites now.

However, there is a fine line of winning at all costs now and building for the future. When I look at Pittsburgh farm system, or lack there of it certainly makes you wonder where this team is going to be in 5 years.

Et Le But

58. Loonie says:

If the lineup looks like this in a couple of years would anyone have a problem with trading draft picks……

Pacioretty – Galchenyuk – Gallagher
    Desharnais – Plekanec – Ryder
    Bourque – Eller – Kristo/Leblanc/Collberg
    Prust – Bournival – Moen

Markov – Subban
    Emelin – Tinordi
    Beaulieu – Diaz

Price

I’m asking because Markov, Gionta and Ryder could all be gone but the rest of the lineup is pretty secure for the next few years. I don’t think there will be room for all of these prospects we have.

They aren’t all going to be willing to sit in Hamilton forever.

#freejakegardiner

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I think the issue here is not whether or not to trade draft picks/prospects. It is what to trade them for…

Exactly.

If Bergevin traded a bunch of prospects that are expendable for an excellent NHL player I’d be happy.

If he were to do it for Iginla I’d be upset.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Yup.

And I think that trading these picks and prospects, at this point in the Habs organizational ‘rebuild’ cycle, is to be used to get useful and productive NHL players that will stay for a while, i.e., not rentals.

If the Habs were set with a young but mature core of Crosby, Neal, Malkin, Letang-like players with a stable of solid prospects in the minors, and had recently won the Cup, then I think that they would be entitled to take bigger risks with their picks.

But, in my mind, the thing to remember is that the Habs organization is not at this point, and so trading away their building blocks/assets for the future in order to gamble on immediate gain is simply not worth it.

• Loonie says:

Good point about the risk.

Hadn’t really looked at it that way. I’d feel more comfortable trading first round prospects and second round picks if I’d won a cup.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

But you have Ryder and Markov in there? Gorges?

I’d like to see Eller slowly transition into that second centre role, keeping Pleky as a great vet centering the third line.

Top line looks pretty good to me :)

• Loonie says:

Gorges will eventually be the odd man out. He just isn’t good enough to stay with the talent this team has on defense both on the big club, in Hamilton and in junior.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Perhaps. Hope not though. Think he’s a real warrior out there and clearly a leader.

Glad you included Collberg in that. He’s definitely my darkhorse favourite. Playing pro hockey already in Sweden. Hopefully can be coerced to come over and learn the North American game in the AHL next year. Kid has sniper written all over him.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Also, with the improvements Emelin has made this year…wouldn’t be shocked if he became PK’s stay-at-home counterpart.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Love it!

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

The other issue is that while we have a good stable of prospects (on D in particular — and that’s something that’s acknowledged around the league, not just our own wishful thinking, haha), it’s still a crap shoot as to which of them will develop into bonafide, quality NHLers. For every success there is a bust…so good to have insurance, I guess, haha

• Strummer says:

Interesting line-up.
      If Markov stays healthy he could be around after his contract is up on a one-year contract at reduced salary.
      I don’t know about Moen. He’s not trending the right way but 4th liners are basically interchangeable spare parts and easily replaced.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Habfan17 says:

I would say that if the prosepcts keep developing the way they are, then in a couple of years, Diaz, Markov, Ryder, Moen and either Plaeks or DD will all be gone. Probably used to get the one or two younger top players needed to add experience and compliment the young core. I would not be surprised to see a couple of them gone during the off season or after training camp.

Habfan17

59. Lafrich says:

Dear everyone,

There is an H at the end of Pittsburgh.

Thank you.

P.S. Unless you are talking about the opposite of tight, it is spelled lose, not loose!!!!

60. veryhabby says:

I have no problem with HAbs trading a 2nd or another pick for a rental ESCPECAILLY if Bourque/diaz don’t return. Unfortunately no one knows if they will return. If by trade deadline they are still sidelined, it doesn’t mean they won’t return. It’s too bad when it’s a concussion issue cause you just don’t know. And how effective will Bourque be when he returns? Will he hit hard, fight along the boards knowing what he just went through? Time will tell.

I do find that the East is wide open this year. Pits has added some solid pieces. They too are seeing how wide open the EAst is and they don’t want to pass up on possibly an easy year to win the East. I wonder if MTL management should look at it the same way. I am not saying trade away Beaulieu, our 1st and a few 2nd rounders. But we can do some trades without losing our top future pieces.

Tinordi has been showing them what he can do. Now for MB to decide if he can do it thru the playoffs if Diaz doesn’t return. Tinordi will be a fine player for us, but maybe having a Dman that our coach won’t play in the 3rd of tight games is not the guy you want going into the playoffs. I think we can use some D vet for that #6 spot in case Diaz doesn’t return. Hope we see that trade.

Upfront, if someone will improve this team then do it. I don’t think it will be an impact player but someone for depth in case Bourque doesn’t return.

61. Rainrocket16 says:

The Penguins must have the an endless cap! Who are they planning on unloading?

62. HabFanSince72 says:

MA Fleury is not THAT bad. Not great certainly but he does get the job done. And he has shown that he can play every other day in a long playoffs.

By almost any objective measure he is the equivalent of Carey P. (games played per season, save %, etc …)

• Phil C says:

He did win them the Cup. But he also cost them the series against Philly last year. Who knows which guy will show up. I’ll take Price.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I’ll take Price too – no question.

All I’m saying is they have similar stats.

Yet virtually every second or third day you post a suggestion of trading Price….. I seem to see a pattern.

• Loonie says:

It’s all about the momentum changing saves Gerald. The 3 on 1 scoring chance he stops in a tied game doesn’t matter, the backdoor rebound that ends up in the back of the net because of a blown coverage is more indicative of his play.

• HabFanSince72 says:

A HA!!!

You just said something negative.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I am suggesting trading Price for all-star centreman Claude Giroux. That is very different than saying trade him because he sucks.

• Loonie says:

If sarcasm counts I’m guilty.

I’ll let you be the judge.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

I agree that he is not as bad as some may say, but that playoff series last year scared a lot of folks (and from what I’ve heard Friedman and others say, including Pens brass). He definitely has something to prove — but that mightn’t be a bad thing.

Since Fleury won the Cup his playoff %save and GAA have been:
      2009-2010 .891 2.78
      2010-2011 .899 2.52
      2011-2012 .834 4.63

He needs to be better…

LA has to do something. Bernier for Iginla just makes too much sense.

64. deuce6 says:

The Pens now have 26 guys on their roster…Not sure the total number of contracts they hold throughout their system, but I am expecting some waiver action out of them soon..

——————
    Brandon Prust doesn’t have hair on his testicles, because hair does not grow on steel….

65. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Looking through previous drafts, my enthusiasm for our three second rounders has been somewhat abated, haha.

That said, it is supposed to be a deep draft year and the Flames pick, at least, should be pretty high.

66. kirbhabs says:

If they get Iggy, icing on the cake!

67. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

The rental discussion is nice but in the end a team’s core players have to play well for it to succeed. Pitt’s problem is that one of its core players, Fleury, hasn’t played well since the Cup win. If he or Voukon do not play well, all this is moot.

• Loonie says:

That’s precisely why in my opinion Bergevin shouldn’t hesitate to add quality players.

Nobody in the East is a powerhouse. It’s always up for grabs. Such was Gainey’s annual dilemma.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

But in the end, it comes down to Price…no? The Habs have basically “added” Max, Markov, Prust, Gally, Chucky, Emelin, and Diaz since their last playoff run. They should be able to compete with Price at the top of his game.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Dilemma is how much to pay for them, haha. Jagr for instance. Has some chemistry with Pleks, great on the PP, excellent leader and experience…..but what do you give for a guy who likely won’t play for the team next year?

Not saying I’m opposed to the idea (nor that you would be completely for it, regardless of price), but that’s kind of the difficult question, right?

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Isn’t Ryder playing the same role as Jagr would be? I think if Bourque does not come back, they might need a physical presence up front.

• Loonie says:

I think the questions are how much it will cost, whether you can afford to part with the cost and is the upgrade worth it.

In our case, a player on defense who is versatile and physical(Bogosian type) and at forward a guy who can score from anywhere and be physical(Iginla type) would bump Bouillon and Dumont out of the lineup and take the roles of Gorges and Armstrong respectively.

How much of an impact would those additions have? I think they’d be huge.

Note: When I say “Iginla type” I don’t mean Iginla specifically. Just wanted to provide an example.

• mark-ID says:

What’s great about getting Jagr also would be if we were to face the Pens in the playoffs….you know Jagr would definately step up his game facing his old team.

68. kirbhabs says:

I called it, Pittsford picked up Defence man and grit.

69. Bigdawg says:

Let the Pens start the controversy. Interesting to see what the Habs and Bruins do (if anything).

As far as a forward goes – (someone else suggested this) but I’d like to see Kristo signed and brought in. Especially we get Prust and Bourque back for the playoffs. It would be great to get some young blood in and (hopefully) full of adreline and excitment in the line up. We could have a scoring threat on all four lines. This is how montreal should play it, not by having a so-so tough line that doesn’t stand up well to Pits or Bos.

A fighter is not needed. If Prust and Bourque do not come back, then maybe spending a low pick/prospect on an undamaged veteran checker could be a good idea.

On Defense? Tough call. We could use a 4-7D bruiser/crease clearer/shot blocker as insurance for injuries. But the going rate of two seconds for Murray, is kind of brutal. If we swap for a UFA with one of the many D prospect (or maybe even two prospects)+low pick, may be do-able however.

So I would propose 1-2 D prospects (like Weber/St-Denis type not Tinordi/Beaulieu type), and 1-2 3rd+ rounders for a gritty forward (maybe) and an aging, but fearless D.

70. Sportfan says:

Would it be crazy if Pittsburg went out for a Rental goalie just in case MAF doesn’t play so well in the playoffs?

71. deuce6 says:

2nd pick condition in the Murray to PITT deal…

“The 2014 draft choice is conditional upon the Penguins winning two playoff rounds this year or the team re-signing Murray for the 2013-14 season. Should either event occur, the Sharks will receive the Penguins second round selection in 2014, should neither occur, the pick becomes a third-rounder.”

At worst, the Sharks get a 2nd and a 3rd…Best case, 2 2nds..

——————

• Loonie says:

In that case I would argue the Penguins didn’t overpay.

If they don’t bring him back or make the conference finals they only give up a second rounder for him.

I could have lived with a second rounder for Doug Murray. Creative work by Wilson and Shero.

• mdp2011 says:

No, the second draft pick becomes a 3rd round pick. So it is either they give up two 2nd round picks, or one 2nd AND one 3rd round pick.

• Loonie says:

Now that I’ve regained my balance I’d like to thank you for clarifying that.

I think that’s good value for all teams involved. Penguins acquired a third in the Morrow deal.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Do you think the Sharks could have gotten more if they waited until the deadline? Maybe the picks without any conditions? Not sure…

72. Hobie Hansen says:

Murray would have been nice…He’s what the Habs need. Scary rental though :-).

73. Sportfan says:

Ottawa signed 6’5 forward Buddy Robinson from Lake Superior State. That guy is huge, man if he turns out for the Sens this could be a great signing and imagine having that guy crashing the crease.

74. mrhabby says:

Seems to me Habs had the 2nd rounders for Murray. I sure hope MB tried to get Murray. Why not come here.