HIO hits 1-million comment mark; annual Summit set for Oct. 26

The Hockey Inside/Out website was launched in November 2006 as habsinsideout.com and on Thursday we hit the 1-million mark in comments from Habs fans.

The site averages about 1.75 million page views per month during the hockey season and had 1,029,547 page views in July when there was no hockey being played.

But as all Habs fans know, hockey is a 12-month-a-year sport.

Comment No. 1,000,000 came from Newf_Habster at 11:59 a.m., shortly after the Canadiens announced they had reached an agreement on a one-year contract with free-agent defenceman Douglas Murray, a 6-foot-3, 245-pounder who split last season with the San Jose Sharks and Pittsburgh Penguins.

“Murray vs. Parros” Newf_Habster commented, while posting a link to a YouTube fight between Murray and George Parros from April 2009. “Now they are teammates! LOL”

The Canadiens acquired Parros, a 6-foot-5, 228-pound enforcer, from the Florida Panthers this summer.

Newf_Habster’s real name is Darryl Hackett, and he has been a Habs fan “since I came out of my mother’s womb.” The 47-year-old moved from Newfoundland and Labrador to Ottawa in 2001 and says he visits the HIO site a few times every day during the season and a few times every week during the off-season.

“HIO is where many of the most compassionate Habs fans converge to discuss on different news articles concerning our beloved team, and I enjoy reading and engaging in some discussions with them,” Hackett, who is deaf, responded in an email exchange after learning he had posted comment No. 1,000,000. “As a fellow Habs fan, I appreciate their love and compassion, which should not be undermined and/or underestimated. They are simply the best fans in any league in the world, so that is why I proudly enjoy being among them.”

Hackett’s favourite player is P.K. Subban.

“He is the most exciting Habs player that I had ever seen since Guy Lafleur, who is still my all-time Habs idol,” Hackett wrote in an email.

The HIO site, which was the idea of former Gazette editor-in-chief Andrew Phillips, launched on Nov. 24, 2006, when Phillips wrote:

“The Montreal Canadiens have been our city’s favourite team as long as anyone can remember, and The Gazette has had the best team of hockey writers for just about as long. Starting today, there’s a whole new way to keep up with the Habs and take advantage of The Gazette’s edge in hockey writing and reporting. It’s called Habs Inside/Out, and it’s a website that offers fans of the Canadiens ‘absolutely everything’ about the greatest hockey team in the world. It’s one-stop shopping for Habs fans.”

Last year’s annual Hockey Inside/Out Summit had to be cancelled because of the NHL lockout, but the event will return this year and is slated for Saturday, Oct. 26, when the San Jose Sharks visit the Bell Centre. (The photo above is from the first HIO Summit in October 2007.)

HIO member Ian Cobb, who organizes the Summit every year, says that more than 175 HIO members will be attending this year’s event, which will kick off on Friday, Oct. 25 with a get-together at Hurley’s Irish Pub on Crescent St., with fans encouraged to wear their bleu-blanc-rouge colours.

An HIO breakfast is scheduled for the next morning at 8:30 a.m. at the Chez Cora restaurant, located at 1240 Drummond St., followed by a trip to the Canadiens Hall of Fame and a Bell Centre Tour. A pregame meal is planned for the Baton Rouge restaurant beside the Bell Centre (1050 de la Montagne).

After the game, the HIO members will get together again at Hurley’s, where the second floor will be reserved for the group.

Noted Cobb: “Everything is walking distance, so park your car for the weekend. Enjoy talking hockey and meeting your wonderful HIO community at this year’s summit.”

Cobb, a 69-year-old lifetime Habs fan who grew up in St. Lambert and now lives in Belleville, Ont., said that the HIO Summit attracts “people from all different walks of life … so it’s always fun.”

“One guy comes from France every year … and he says he’s coming,” Cobb added. “There’s a couple coming from Northern California … so it’s pretty much the whole North American continent. We have some people from the Yukon … one of them’s coming, I don’t know if the other ones are or not.”

Cobb says his favourite part of the annual Summit is “just meeting the people.”

“I’m a people guy,” he said. “I had five families (from the HIO group) drop by here (at his home) this summer on vacation. It’s kind of neat.”

Organizing the Summit is a lot of work for Cobb, “but it’s payback,” he said, recalling the days when other HIO members helped teach him to read and write.

Despite being dyslexic, which led to illiteracy until his late 50s, Cobb put together a successful business career, including running a fox and mink ranch in New Brunswick and developing a feed formula he sold to Ralston Purina. He says he managed to hide his illiteracy throughout his business career, only revealing his secret after former Canadiens coach Jacques Demers announced he battled illiteracy in 2005 in a biography titled Jacques Demers: En Toutes Lettres.

“After Jacques came out of the closet, I figured what the hell,” Cobb said. “Financially I didn’t need to bull—anymore.”

You can get more information on the HIO Summit from a Facebook page set up for it by clicking here.

Below is a column Mike Boone wrote about Cobb back in 2008:

(Gazette file photo/Tyrel Featherstone)

Fansite turns teaching tool

PUBLISHED IN THE GAZETTE ON NOV. 24, 2008

MIKE BOONE
THE GAZETTE

This is the heartwarming story of a former dead-end kid who found friendship and happiness on the Internet.

No, Ian Cobb’s favourite site isn’t kinky.

It’s hockey.

Cobb is a resident of Belleville, Ont., who has spent most of his 65 years concealing a secret. He couldn’t read or write. About 18 months ago, he discovered Habs Inside/Out, where the words began to make sense because Cobb cared about what Dave Stubbs, Pat Hickey and I were writing.

We’re not making outlandish claims here. The Gazette’s Canadiens fansite can’t bring eyesight to the blind. It can’t cure cancer.

But Habs I/O helped Ian Cobb. And he’s given back by posting countless comments and by becoming one of the primary organizers of the second annual Habs Inside/Out Summit, which brought about 80 fans to the Bell Centre for the Oct. 25 game against Anaheim.

The Canadiens lost that night, but Cobb’s enthusiasm was undiminished.

A typical post: “Boys and girls! We don’t need anyone to tell us that we have a shot at the Cup this year. We, the most perceptive and most informative hockey fans in the world, have been treated and shown how this game is to be played and won for 100 years. We recognize quality and expect performance, from management to throughout the organization …”

Here’s how Cobb describes himself in his Habs Inside/Out profile: “Born in Montreal … Worked many different jobs around Mtl. as a kid, later went working pipeline construction as a labourer, equipment operator and scuba diver for oil & gas co’s … owned and operated two corporations in three provinces, illiterate until my late 50s. Raised three children, retired 10 years ago as just your average millionaire, drive school bus and read and write on Inside/Out, learning here every day with friends!!!”

That’s the bare-bones outline. As he’s told me over too many beers at Habs I/O Summits I and II and in a phone conversation last week, Cobb has done a lot of living since his youth in South Shore St. Lambert.

“My dad was a welder, a church-going man and all that kind of stuff,” Cobb recalls. “He didn’t know why his son couldn’t read or write.

“I felt I let the family down.

I walked around with different inferiority complexes, pissed the bed till I was 12. I was scared to go to school and got strapped every day.”

Neither his father nor his teachers knew that Cobb was dyslexic. In the absence of a diagnosis and special-needs instruction, he stumbled along, repeating Grades 5 and 6.

“I got to know everyone in high school,” Cobb recalls, “because they all went by me.”

He dropped out without finishing elementary school. Cobb was illiterate, but “I could bulls— with the best of them, and I learned how to do that.”

How good was Cobb at concealing his disability?

“My wife of 30 years never knew I couldn’t read or write,” he says.

But, as Cobb’s posted CV indicates, he could do a variety of jobs that didn’t require literacy. He was a teenager, washing dishes at a restaurant near the Forum, when Danny Gallivan took a shine to him and set up Cobb with a room at the downtown YMCA and various odd jobs around the Forum.

“Boom-Boom Geoffrion had a big blue station wagon,” Cobb recalls, “and I used to start it up for him on cold days.”

While living at the Y, Cobb would hang out at the Sir George Williams University library in the adjoining building on Drummond St. He couldn’t read the books, but he liked to look at the pictures.

Fiercely proud of “never taking a friggin’ handout in my life,” Cobb reels off a long list of work experiences that took him from the dress-alteration department at Sears to pipeline construction in Alberta and Kentucky to a jail cell in Oregon (it’s a long story, involving papers that were not in order).

“I’d go with the flow,” Cobb says. “My first trip out west was riding the freight cars.”

The constant was Cobb’s ability to live by his wits, without benefit of the alphabet. He didn’t have to be literate to run a ranch in New Brunswick, where Cobb had 2,000 silver foxes and 36,000 minks, breeding animals to supply furriers on Mayor St. in Montreal and developing a feed formula he sold to Ralston Purina.

Another constant: passion for hockey. Since moving to Belleville in 1993, Cobb has billeted players – including Dan Cleary and Jonathan Cheechoo – for the OHL’s Bulls.

Cobb was living with a woman who helped him with dyslexia and following the Canadiens at a distance when he stumbled on Habs Inside/Out.

“My first post to the site, I didn’t even know how to use Spell Check,” he says.

There have been maybe 500 posts since – all knowledgeable, none a literary classic.

“I’d get up in the morning and go on Habs Inside/out,” he says, “and I didn’t know how to go on another site. I had a dictionary, my partner and everybody on the site giving me help.

“I didn’t have to look anyone in the eye and feel my face go red every time I screwed up a word. It was so exciting to be able to communicate.

“I learned to read and write on Habs Inside/out. There’s no doubt about it.”

Below: Gazette’s Allen McInnis photographs HIO founding contributors Sid Banerjee (left), Mike Boone (centre) and Dave Stubbs in the Canadiens dressing room in November 2006, for the launch of the website. The Habs loaned us all Alexander Perezhogin sticks, and we posed in front of the stalls of Mike Komisarek, Mathieu Dandenault, Craig Rivet and Sheldon Souray. Whatever…

AMC06 1121 Habs Web 1

1. JohninTruro says:

The real question is how long ago would we have gotten to 1,000,000 posts if none ever got modded?

2. crabvader says:

I will now have another big body to belt other players with via crushing hits on NHL 14 when it drops September 10th!

Thanks, MB!

3. Un Canadien errant says:

Good quick recap of how the PED story in baseball was broken 15 years ago, and how the writer who first questioned Mark McGwire was shunned by his colleagues because he was badgering a nice man. The story has links for further reading.

4. commandant says:

Word breaking that Mikhail Grabovski will be signing in Washington.

The ex-hab (And a controversial one) replaces another ex-hab on the Capitals second line (“Ribiero).

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

5. frontenac1 says:

EOTP? You’re kidding. They’re chipmunks with hard ons!

6. HabFab says:

To those that attend Bulldog games. They just released their schedule;

7. JayK-47 says:

I don’t think anyone at EOTP has even been in a fistfight, or if they have, were probably quite surprised they lost it considering their paunch should have gave them the weight advantage.

8. petefleet says:

On the Murray signing. Murray looked awful in the playoffs against BOS. If he hadn’t he would already be gone. MB may have seen something here that is not readily apparent to the rest of us…I don’t know. If he returns to form and becomes what he was a couple years ago, look out playing against the Habs. If he falters early, Tinordi will be in uniform and the other teams will still have to look out. Good signing, maybe a great one. MB also needs to drop the Cubes mins and increase PK’s.
    It’s going to be a fun year, I hope.

******************************************
    I haven’t been wrong in a long time…..not feeling like today is the day.

***Go Habs Go***

9. habstrinifan says:

Suddenly on paper the team looks very very different.

Gallagher and Eller looking like real young points producers.
    Briere a veteran offensive addition, albeit past his prime.
    Parros and Murray as tough gritty ‘regulars’.
    A Norris winning D-Man.

Looks good!

And especially looks as if the ‘face of the team’ is being taken away from the people like Pleks and Gionta and Markov.

And not to be overlooked.. the team wont go as Price goes anymore, which is what the pundit and analysts have said for the last umpteen years. Habs dont have this; Habs dont have that; Price will have to be ‘outstanding’ to get them into the playoffs.

I think today, on paper, it looks kinda different. Again MT will have to do some major coaching this year to continue with the makeover.

Agree? Disagree?

• crabvader says:

Agreed, barring injuries, of course.

That injury bug needs to stay the heck away!!!

• habstrinifan says:

forgot the injuries. I have a feeling some of the injuries were due to the fact that too many non physical guys having to respond physically. That wont be the case anymore. Lots of physical guys on the team now.

• crabvader says:

That or bad training regimens. It could be a plethora of things. By bad training, I also mean training too hard and wearing themselves down. Either way, it was not pretty! Obviously the Eller and Emelin injuries, nothing anyone could do about those.

I just mean certain tears, strains or sorenesses could be avoided. I understand that hockey is a physical sport and sometimes there isn’t much you can do to avoid certain injuries, but it seems like some of our guys are a little more prone than league average.

I’d just like to see our regulars play most of a season if not all of it!

10. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

And let’s not forget… UFAs sign where they want, based upon the offers they receive. So, does DM want to play in a world-class city with a rabid hockey fan base? Seems like yes. Did other teams make offers that he and his agent rejected? We don’t know, but you’d have to assume so.

Parros was acquired via trade, but he seems stoked to be a Hab. Murray and Brière have chosen Montréal. I think this is a good thing.

11. habstrinifan says:

Signed on to give 100% acknowledgement of MB’s fulfilling the stated requirements of most of HIO as per the posts of the past couple years.

But Frontenac said it earlier and much much better than I could.

frontenac1 August 22, 2013 at 4:57 pm
    1. Heavyweight Enforcer. Check. 2. Big Nasty Dman. Check. 3. Sniper signed. Check. It’s all starting to come together amigos.Keep the Faith!
    ==============

We can debate the ‘quality’ of the additions but not the ‘perceived needs’ that they are meant to fill.

Well done MB! Now a very huge part of the puzzle is in MT’s hands.

12. Say Ash says:

Now Prust definitely has some competition for hottest Hab girlfriend.

13. Habilis says:

After reading some references to the HEOTP comment boards on here today, I moseyed on over there to take a gander.

Wow.

It’s almost difficult to believe that we all cheer for the same team. I get that the commentators are probably influenced by the whole fancy stat angle, but still.

Makes me wonder if they’re all fancy stat-heads over there. If they are, what does that make us? Other than a bunch of booze swilling armchair GM’s, I mean. ;)

• Un Canadien errant says:

I haven’t read their comments, but don’t understand what the objections could be. He wasn’t signed because he’s Shea Weber, he was signed because his skillset complements what we have already. He fits in the puzzle really well. We get a big tough crease-clearer, what we’ve been pining for, at a reasonable cost for one year. No massive contract needed, no skin off our nose. If he doesn’t work out, we’ll be able to flip him for a draft pick.

No-brainer signing. I’m sure there are more talented d-men out there with better numbers, but that’s not the issue. With Daddy Campbell as the Executive VP of Hockey Operations (what madness), he’ll play an important role on the team.

• habstrinifan says:

Agree!

• Habilis says:

I’m with you all the way. He’s big, tough and cheap. I have no problem with it whatsoever and in fact I think it addresses a need in our D, namely physicality.

But over there, they’re all up in arms about the fact that we signed the slowest D-man in the league, and that his fancy stats are garbage. No mention of the intangibles he brings, like the ability to clear a crease on his own or drop the gloves to defend some small forward.

To each his own I guess… But we’re right. :D

• Bill says:

After reading the comments on the Murray signing at EOTP, I can say conclusively that the best thing about that site is that they attracted a lot of the most annoying posters from HIO, who no longer grace us with their ridiculously negative, bitchy comments. And I am not referring to Berkshire, whom I actually didn’t mind here.

Without naming names, some of those former HIO dead weights are now citing the Murray signing as the final proof of Bergevin’s incompetence.

Full Breezer 4 Life

14. Hobie Hansen says:

Eesh, Markov was on the ice for 45% of all even strength goals scored against the Habs last year.

Another good reason for signing Murray.

15. AH says:

Just watched the Murray hits and fights…him and Parros on our Habs, sweet! No more sand kicked in our faces!!! Looking way more forward to this year now than I was before this signing.

Here’s a potential real pleasant thought: can you imagine being a forward coming over our blueline with both EMELIN AND MURRAY WAITNG FOR YOU..LOL!!!!

16. frontenac1 says:

Scotland? Single Malt? Murray?

17. Lafleurguy says:

Anyone else agree with THN that Erik Karlsson is the 4th best NHLer (Subbie 23rd, Price 48th, Malkin 7th)?

“Where’s the Beef?/What’s the Beef?”

• Habfan10912 says:

Will be hard to find many people not employed by the Hockey News who would agree with that. That publication should be ashamed.

• Lafleurguy says:

Comparable to ESPN or another such outfit ranking the Oilers 4th at the January 19th start of last season. Mind you J., a couple of longshots at around 16-1 won at Saratoga Springs last saturday.

“Where’s the Beef?/What’s the Beef?”

• Un Canadien errant says:

Erik Karlsson is really, really good. I think most of us rely on his tame, injury-hampered showing during the playoffs to form most of our opinion, discarding his Norris season. Also, we focus on one or two lost puck battles in the corner to assert that he’s not good in his own zone.

The thing is, when he gets the puck, which he’ll accomplish not with brawn but with skill and smarts, he’ll get the Sens out of their zone in a hurry. Best defence is a good offence kind of deal.

I’m not sure if he’s #4, I get confused ranking these players, so many of them are exceptional, but if I had to start a franchise and Sid and Evgeni and John Tavares and Steve Stamkos are gone, I take a long hard look at Erik Karlsson. P.K. at #23 may seem low, but another strong season from him will take care of that lack of esteem in some writers’ eyes, and we shouldn’t castigate Erik Karlsson in order to champion our guy.

• habstrinifan says:

Not gonna get into the P.K s Karlsoson. But I dont see either Karlsson or P.K as 4th best NHLer. On their way maybe (both), but no way NOW.

18. frontenac1 says:

Nice to see that the two newest Enforcers are university educated entrepreneurs with successful businesses going eh?Goons my arse!

19. habs11s says:

Apparently Grabovski will sign in WAS soon..

_____________________________________________________________

20. Cal says:

Look, about 30 from EOTP have responded to the poll question.

21. frontenac1 says:

22. HabFab says:

Earlier it was mentioned about the Doctors taking the NHL to task about their lack of action to prevent injuries. Here are some comments from the Conference in regards to that infamous “hockey play”;

Dr Recchi didn’t attend for some reason…

23. ProHabs says:

Everything falls into place now when we play the Bruins:
    Paros vs. Thornton
    Murray vs. Lucic
    Prust vs. McQuid
    White vs. Boychuk
    Moen vs. Campbell
    Price vs. Rask
    Subban vs. Marchant
    Gionta, Desharnais, Diaz, Gorges vs. Chara

Lovin it

24. frontenac1 says:

Congrats to Newf and Ian. And MB for signing Crankshaft! Damn good day to be alive! Saludos!

25. Luke says:

Douglas Murray? I like it.

I will celebrate with a (many) beer(s).

I noticed that when fighting Murray does a lot of shots to the body.

So what’s the story with Murray… was he born and Sweden and grew up in NA? Douglas Murray is hardly a swedish name.

• Chris says:

Born and raised in Sweden. His family were originally Scottish, but had been in Sweden for a long time (as he puts it, “longer than the US has been a country”).

He also prefers Douglas to Doug, because Doug is pretty close to how Swedes pronounce “dog” when they speak English. He claims his parents wanted to be different, hence the English names for he and his siblings (Charles, Ted and Roseanna).

His maternal grandfather is Lasse Bjorn, a legendary Swedish defenceman who starred in the Swedish hockey league for Djurgardens (he’s the Henri Richard of the Swedish Elite League, having won 9 championships) and the Swedish national team. He was also a monster, a 6’4″ and 220 pound defenceman in the 1950’s and 1960’s.

And of course there is his beer-tap. He graduated from Cornell, and he and two buddies invented the Uber-Tap. You’ll hear that story a million times this year.

• piper says:

Good Scottish name.

28. Hobie Hansen says:

Best video of Doulas Murray I’ve seen out there so far. Some pretty funny/strange moments as well lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aedJbDCmI8

• Phil C says:

Love the Intro:

“Will miss the hits, the fights, the blocked shots, and the otherwise Swedish badassery that was the Crankshaft in teal. Godspeed in Pittsburgh Douglas.”

Some Swedish badassery is exactly what the Habs need. It will fit in well with the Russian wizardry, the Swiss finessitude, the Danish dazzlery, and the good old-fashioned NAG. The Habs now need a Finn to win.

29. B says:

For those bemoaning the lack of right handed D, at least they have prospects Pateryn, Nygren, Ellis, Dietz, Didier and Thrower who are all right handed Ds.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Un Canadien errant says:

I wonder if the Canadiens did it on purpose, but aside from Jarred Tinordi and Nathan Beaulieu, the only leftie D-man prospect we have is Mac Bennett. Dalton Thrower, Morgan Ellis, Darren Dietz, Greg Pateryn, Magnus Nygren, Josiah Didier, and Colin Sullivan are all righties. So were Trevor Timmins and his scouts really going ‘best player available’, or stocking up on right-shooting defencemen who are more rare and thus a touch more valuable, hoping that one or two of the long shots can eventually graduate to the NHL and pair up with the ‘can’t miss’ first rounders?

30. thebonscott says:

Murray is getting criticized for his skating, which doesn’t seem to hamper him when he is dishing out open ice hits and scrumming against the boards, and clearing the front of the net, knocking forwards down, fighting for his team, etc. We don’t need him to be bobby orr, we need him to be a S.O.B. to play against. If the opposition hates playing against him, I am happy.

Habs Fanatic Since 1984

31. Un Canadien errant says:

All right, I’ll be the one to run it down…

So when the going gets absurd, and the refs are trying to ‘not inject themselves in the game’, and ‘letting them play’ and ‘letting the game flow’, and elbows are flying, we now have George Parros as the heavyweight policeman. He knows his job and will neutralize the other team’s Designated Puncher when necessary.

Doug Murray is also able to take on heavyweights, based on his history, but we assume he’ll only do that in rare occasions. Still, the Threat of Murray will exist and cool the tempers of various Wayne Simmondses and Ryan Malones and Dion Phaneufs, the tough guys who feel tough when confronted with Brian Gionta and Yannick Weber. We can expect him to play a regular shift, so he’ll be in the lineup every game, compared to George Parros who may sit out a significant number of games.

We also have Brandon Prust, who now can concentrate more on being an ‘energy’, gritty player, and who’ll still fight 10-15 times next season, but won’t have to answer the bell against a heavyweight every night. He’ll instill respect, but won’t get worn down so much as the season progresses. I suspect he’ll be more effective that way.

Ryan White can also focus on the same role, an energy player who’ll be the middleweight, can adjust an opponent’s attitude when necessary (and hello to you, Johnny Boychuk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxRLQd6HG-A), but doesn’t have to right all wrongs and take on all comers, like he did two seasons ago along with Brad Staubitz.

Which brings us to Travis Moen. Rightly or wrongly, he was expected, at least by the Commentariat, to do the heavy lifting along with Brandon Prust when it came to pugilism. He was clearly uncomfortable with that and unwilling to assume that role. We all suspect his recent concussion history, and his veteran status with nothing left to prove made him very cautious last season. Now, with two heavyweights on his side to do the heavy-lifting, and with a respectable cadre of physical players, that expectation is removed, his load is reduced. We can hope that he can take his fair share of the load, and can focus on being an effective fourth-liner, be defensively responsible, throw some hits, and answer the bell when appropriate.

And now the mix on our team is much improved. It is much better suited to the conditions that prevail currently in the NHL. When we meet the Red Wings and they want to skate against us, we can adjust our roster and do that. When the Senators or the Leafs or Bruins want to slash and crosscheck their way to a win, we’ll be able to counter that too.

———————————————————————–
    … you know, because there’s no way hundreds of overcompetitive stars with massive egos would ever cheat to gain an edge with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake..–Bill Simmons

• Hobie Hansen says:

Perfectly said.

I’m salivating at the thought of playing the Sens, Leafs and Bruins.

It would have been nice to see Horton resign with the Bruins just so Parros or Murray could get their hands on him though ;-).

• ProHabs says:

Exactly. Everyone can now play the role they should be playing. It was ridiculous last year that Prust had to fight every other teams heavyweights. The balance will be so much better this year and some teams might not like playing the Habs.

• Trisomy 21 says:

I am unsure of how many games White will be dressed for, but you have a good point. Now let’s just hope this makes the team better like many of us had hoped it would.

32. dsturge10 says:

Just finished reading Ian’s story. All I can say is “WOW!” Much more interesting than any hockey story ever posted here. Your courage and dedication is inspiring!

“We don’t feel the pressure. We apply the pressure.” – Michel Therrien

33. Newf_Habster says:

I think the Habs’ signing of Douglas Murray is excellent for obvious reasons: fight, physical game, toughness, shot blocking, stay home defense and character at right price.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Relax, Superstar, you can take a break. 2 million posts isn’t going to happen for a while yet.

• flowerpower_74 says:

I wholeheartedly agree with all those points you made regarding Murray.
      Oh and congrats Newf_Habster on the one millionth comment. You can now post forever the millionth along with FIRST! on new threads.

“Claude Julien can whine all he wants because that’s what defeated Bruins do. ” J.T. aka Leigh Ann Power

34. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Would have preferred a right-handed D-man but not a bad signing. Habs needed a physical D-man desperately with Emelin down. Somebody is going to have to play their wrong side however…who? I think Gorges has no choice but to move over (if he can’t then why is he being paid $4 million?). Still don’t understand why Drewiskie was resigned…

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah, I was hoping for a Jeff Schulz or Ryan O’Byrne, big #6 d-men who shoot right. So Douglas Murray is another leftie, but in the plus column he actually uses his great size, compared to the previous two guys I mentioned, so I’m happy with the move. Plus I gotta believe Rick Dudley and Marc Bergevin are in a better position to assess this, and decided that his plusses outweighed the drawback of being a leftie, and a little older.

• Chris says:

Gorges has played right defence quite a bit throughout his career, and his biggest success has been enjoyed on that side. He would have no problem returning to it, I am sure.

35. ooder says:

Sooooo Drewsiki ehh… he is probably even further down the depth chart than Tinordi

• Bripro says:

That signing still confuses me.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Good #7, allows Jarred and Nathan to remain in Hamilton, makes those kids work extra hard to earn a spot on the roster, instead of having it handed to them.

Last summer, everyone was dumping on René Bourque because he had a difficult half season, many posters wanted him dumped, traded, bought out, shipped to Hamilton. When he got a second kick at the can, the detractors melted away.

So let’s give Davis a chance, he didn’t come in to a perfect situation. I have to believe our management team saw something in him to get him at the deadline, and then double down and re-sign him for two years.

• Timo says:

I would argue the “good” part.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Redacted. It now reads:

“Competent, situationally appropriate #7 D in this age of parity and salary cap. Can improve.”

• Bripro says:

Bourque has always possessed the potential.
          I wasn’t one of those to knock him and am usually willing to be patient for most players. Especially if he was to bring his plus side, which he certainly did.
          But it was fairly obvious, to me at least, that Drewiski didn’t bring much to the table, or if he did, he certainly kept it well hidden.
          You know every once in a while you’ll see a brilliant play or move that will tell you that, hey, this kid might have something?
          He didn’t show it at all, I found.
          I don’t know whether it would help either’s development or not, but I’d rather they have Tinordi or Beaulieu stay up. IMHO.

• krob1000 says:

If Murray had been signed already by another team (along with a few other guys…Murray likely expected far more as did others)…then it would make more sense. Now…it looks very redundant but at the price it is fine

36. Feraco says:

Great read on Ian! Always appreciate the support and enthusiasm buddy. Good luck at the Summit and on a great 2013/14 season.

37. Newf_Habster says:

Many thanks folks!

Be honest with you, I became truly flabbergasted when Stu told me about the millionth comment that I made here on Twitter.

Again, thanks.

38. junyab says:

Subban/Markov – puck moving defencemen who can start the rush, set up the attack, and run the PP

Emelin/Gorges – can shut down 1st and 2nd lines, block shots, and kill penalties

Murray/Tinordi – can shut down 3rd and 4th lines, hit, block shots, and be the second line penalty kill

Beaulieu – our permanent Markov replacement in 2-3 years
    Diaz – our puck moving defencemen back up
    Bouillon – our shut down defencemen back up
    Drewiskie – our “we’ve lost everyone” back up
    Pateryn – our potential Gorges replacement in 2-3 years

39. junyab says:

Murray > Diaz.

Douglas Murray is a GREAT signing. He can hit, block shots, kill penalties and shut down opposing 3rd and 4th lines. Having one of Subban, Emelin and Murray on each of our D lines will get forward lines thinking twice about how they cross our blue line. Diaz can’t do those things.

He can clear the crease, strengthen our second PK line, and be nasty along the boards. All those things Diaz can’t do.

• doc359 says:

Unfortunately for your argument, thats not all a Defensemen is supposed to do.

• bwoar says:

Diaz is better. But we sure did need a Murray. There is room for both on this team.

“thoroughbred”

• savethepuck says:

Yup, Murray is better at everything than Diaz is, except for skating, passing, shooting……..

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Hobie Hansen says:

I don’t think Murray has to do two of those three things. His skating isn’t great, sure. However, nobody cares if he shoots and he basically has to separate people from the puck and flip it off the glass, no pretty passes are needed. Tape to tape breakaway passes are the last thing we should expect from him.

What he can do, unlike Diaz, is play defence, he’s a defenceman!

• Un Canadien errant says:

Hobie, we’re still shellshocked from last season, and our surfeit of small defencemen who can move the puck but got ragdolled by bigger teams. A lot of that has been addressed now, with Douglas Murray in the fold, and Yannick and Tomas Kaberle gone. So Raphaël Diaz is now more valuable than before, and has a skillset that we need.

Remember Jean-Jacques Daigneault, Petr Svoboda, Tom Kurvers? Relatively small guys, but man they knew what to do with the puck, it got out of our zone in a hurry. They were great defencemen.

Playing defence isn’t just about cross-checking in front of our net, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I agreed with your post below. I think your consensus on Diaz is a good one. Him and Murray would make a nice 3rd paring.

I’m being a bit overboard on Diaz. It’s just years of built up frustration of having next to nothing in terms of grit and push back on defence I suppose.

It just seems that some people think the best thing on defence is a guy who makes pretty passes and puts up points when really the most important thing is how he plays in his own end. And ya, it’s hard to get the image of average or undersized guys like Diaz, Bouillon, Gorges and Markov getting trampled on in front of Price in the playoffs and down the stretch last year.

• junyab says:

Sure, for a puck moving defencemen shooting, passing, and skating are huge…but not for a shutdown guy. You do remember Hal Gill right?!?! He was a stud for us in his short tenure…and Murray can bring what Gill brought plus more.

We don’t need a puck moving defencemen on the third line who doesn’t hit, block shots, or shut down…anyone.

40. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Congrats to HIO and all of the site’s participants. Don’t want to be a stick in the mud but technically many posts are “re-posts” so it is a debatable 1 millionth post.

BTW I was hoping for Frontenac or Timo to be #1,000,000…

41. krob1000 says:

RE Murray…the two cup final teams….one had Mcquaid as a bottom pairing dman and one had Michal Rosival as a bottom pairing dman. He was good enough that Pitt gave up two 2nd picks for him and he was with San Jose…..a pretty good team the last decade or so.
    I just can’t see how it is not a good signing especially for a team that needs a tougher dman back there and a guy who can take mins and miss mintues when things get nasty.
    Most good teams have their defensive dmen also possessing the ability to intimidate and/or do the dirty work in corners and out front.
    Guys like Weber and Chara are a rare breed but most teams dpeth guys and stay at home guys have the ability to be physical presences

42. Eddie says:

Maritime Ronn, good to have you back. I look forward to reading your posts.

I like the signing today. Murray is big and still bangs guys around pretty good out there – which we all have agreed we needed to add on our back end.

He’s short term and relatively cheap – so not a big risk.

Very solid move.

43. @mrhabby

Yes I will be there in Oct. Flying is for the Ducks game on the 24th.

HIO, not sure what I would do without this place during the season.

See you all at the Summit, Where Great Fans Come to Play!

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 00029.31

Does anyone remember leafs were leading Bruins 4-1 in game 7 how many minutes before the end of the game?

45. Mike D says:

To those saying Diaz is expendable and a dime a dozen, I’d suggest watching him a little more closely. Trust me, Murray would be bound for the press box LONG before Diaz would.

He may not be big, but the rest of what he brings is actually very good. Having one Diaz in your D-core is completely fine, you just don’t want to have too many of them – and we don’t – for fear of getting pushed around and not being able to clear your own crease.

On a side note, Fistric would have been a better pick-up than Murray. I wonder if the Habs were maybe in on him and had to switch their target to Murray once Fistric signed. Probably not, but it’s plausible.

– Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny
    The CH stands for CHaracter…(apparently)

• Hobie Hansen says:

Fistric was healthy and benched last season on a couple different occasions, on a team that lacks physicality and toughness.

And until Murray was signed the Habs were exactly what you said on defence, small and speedy with no jam. They got manhandled in the playoffs last year and Diaz was culprit number one.

Again, with the emergence of Tinordi, Beaulieu and a few other promising prospects, Diaz, on the last year of his contract has one foot out the door.

• Mike D says:

Fistric is nothing special – agreed on that front. I just like him more than Murray because he has more skills while still bringing size and toughness.

Diaz is a very smart player and although his size is out of his control, he plays a very composed game. I’d be very surprised if he has one foot out the door. If anything, I think that the team letting Weber walk was a sign of knowing you can’t have too many players of that mold, but keeping the better one.

I doubt very much that the team plans on “losing” Diaz this year, if at all. Maybe when Beaulieu is full-time ready and proven – maybe. Diaz has more value than many give him credit for. We were not the only team trying to acquire his services when he was still playing in Europe.

– Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny
        The CH stands for CHaracter…(apparently)

• Un Canadien errant says:

Agreed Mike. The addition of Douglas Murray makes Raphaël Diaz more effective and valuable, not dispensable. We spent the entire last season moaning about how our defencemen were too small, they were all puck movers, we needed to improve our mix. Well, we did that, we bought out Tomas Kaberle, let Yannick Weber go as a free agent, re-signed Davis Drewiske and added Douglas Murray.

Raphaël Diaz can be paired with a more physical defensive defenceman who can do more mucking in the corners, and feed him the puck when it’s time to counter-attack. They’ll cover each other’s weaknesses and can be an effective pair.

So we have Andrei Markov, P.K. and Raphaël Diaz to move the puck and work the powerplay, Josh Gorges, Francis Bouillon, Davis Drewiske and now Douglas Murray to play more defensively. Alexei Emelin will add to this latter group halfway through the season.

In Hamilton, getting ready are Jarred Tinordi, Greg Pateryn to pitch in defensively, and Nathan Beaulieu and possibly Magnus Nygren if we need help in the offensive zone.

So we have a much better mix, a much better complement of skills.

• Bripro says:

100% Norm.
        A Murray-Diaz combination, where Diaz plays as he did in Europe as well as his early season with the Habs before injury, will be a pretty effective combination.
        And when Emelin comes back, I don’t think there’ll be a more intimidating D in the league.

• Mike D says:

Except that I think once Emelin comes back, it’ll be Murray (or Cube) who gets a seat in the pressbox.

– Honestly yours
          Twitter: @de_benny
          The CH stands for CHaracter…(apparently)

• Hobie Hansen says:

The Cube will be in the pressbox long before Emelin returns. Not sure what calculations you made to figure Murray would be sat when Emelin returns either?

Subban, Markov, Gorges, Emelin, Murray and Diaz will most likely be the starting six?

46. Un Canadien errant says:

1 million? I don’t have a significant number of those to my credit, but if we did a word count, I’d be comfortably in the leader pack, despite the late start.

———————————————————————–

47. pmaraw says:

prust is gonna be all like, ‘common guys, I wanna fight too!’

48. Thurston says:

My take on the Douglas Murray signing:

Decent move, definitely a stop-gap measure since Emelin won’t be ready for the first part of the season.
    I’m not doing cartwheels over this move, but I’m fine with it. It gives the Canadiens depth on the backend and, if this doesn’t work out and Murray struggles like he did in the playoffs last spring, he can be dumped since he’s only on a one-year contract.
    If he plays well and there is a future for him in Montreal, Bergevin has demonstrated he will sign guys during the season to extensions.
    I traded opinions with James Mirtle on Twitter and James was not enthused with the signing, believing there are better options for the Habs on the free agent front. I respect that opinion but I’ll stand by my belief that this is a decent signing.

49. Mike D says:

Wow, lots going on today.

Firstly, congrats to HIO for reaching 1,000,000 comments and thank you for creating this wonderful community we all share and enjoy so much.

Kudos to Newf_habster for the distinction of having the one millionth post!

As for the Murray signing, put me in the “meh” column. His size and related attributes are great, but his actual hokey ability leaves a lot to be desired. Hopefully he’ll be motivated to stay in the NHL and will make the most of the contract Montreal gave him to prove he belongs in this league. While I didn’t see him play too much in SJ, I sure noticed him in Pitt but for all the wrong reasons. I thought he was maybe long in the tooth but when I learned he was still in his early 30’s I was pretty shocked. Lousy skater, especially for a Swede, and slow as molasses.

– Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny
    The CH stands for CHaracter…(apparently)

• Timo says:

I don’t believe his hockey ability was the primary consideration during signing…. hockey as in skating, puck handling and shooting the puck.

• Mike D says:

LOL – definitely not Timo. It would just be nice if he wasn’t arguably the worst the slowest skater in the league.

– Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny
        The CH stands for CHaracter…(apparently)

• Timo says:

I remember his play while watching some SJ games. He never struck me as the slowest or worst skater. I mean, after all I watched George Laraque and Hal Gill play for years.

• Mike D says:

Believe it or not, I think old Skillsy can skate circles around Murray. The latter’s game has really declined from what I can tell.

– Honestly yours
            Twitter: @de_benny
            The CH stands for CHaracter…(apparently)

• Timo says:

Wow. Then I can’t wait to see that.

50. Say Ash says:

Posted on TSN and worth keeping in mind:

Fistric is 27 years old, 7 years younger than Murray. Murray is 6’3 and 245lb but Fistric is not much smaller at 6’2 and 233 lb. Fistric is not a great skater, but he still skates better than Murray. Last year, he played 25 games with the Oilers and had 6 pts and +6 on a team that is -9. Murray played 29 games with the Sharks with 6 pts and -8 on a team that is +8. He also played 14 regular season games with the Pens with 3 pts and -1 on a team that is +46. Fistric had 88 hits in 25 games avg 3.52 hits per game and Murray had 89 hits in 43 games avg 2.07 hits per game. And Fistric at 900K is 600K cheaper than Murray.

• piper says:

i agree, Fistric would have been a good pickup but they missed on him. Murray imo is tougher though.

• Habsrule1 says:

Murray is 33. That’s 6 years older, not 7. Kinda makes me think the rest of the post is bogus too ;-)

Go Habs Go!!

• krob1000 says:

One was discarded for nothing by a bottom end team the other was traded for by the Cup Favourite at the deadline for 2nd round picks.

51. Habsrule1 says:

With all this awesome Habs news and subsequent Habs chat, they should change the name of the site to Habs Inside/Out.

Just a thought.

Go Habs Go!!

• secretdragonfly says:

Good one! It will always be Habs Inside/Out to me, just let them try to sic their lawyers on me :)

• Habsrule1 says:

Same here! We can take ‘em!
        Looking forward to seeing everyone at the Summit!

Go Habs Go!!

52. Maritime Ronn says:

Good Afternoon,

First and foremost, I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for some ugly, and way out of character comments I posted several days ago.

There was absolutely no excuse for that.

To the individuals that I was unacceptably rude to, and you know who you are, I can only hope that you accept this olive branch peace offering and can turn the page.
    Mea Culpa.

To the rest of the very wonderful HIO posters, I also apologize for that less than attractive read…and thank you so much to those that spent precious moments of time writing some very kind words the other day.
    They were truly appreciated.

This is an exceptional site with great characters that are all of smart, funny – hilarious at times, witty, pithy, and exceptionally hockey and other stuff knowledgeable. (pizza places included)
    It is truly an honour and privilege to be a part of this.

While there is never an excuse to lose it even in somewhat anonymous Cyber Land, sometimes personal figurative earthquakes, tsunamis, and H bombs all go off at the same time – then only to realise later how trivial that personal perception was.
    ———–

53. HabCez says:

Hehe.. Gratz to Newf_Habster

and gratz to MB for signing Murray for 1.5 Mil.
    Love it!
    Hope he can shed some pounds though and come into training camp more mobile.

“Emelin’s the real deal.”
    – HabCez

54. GuyDoon says:

And if history taught us anything, nobody will ever remember who was poster 1,000,001.

• Lafleurguy says:

Sportfan lost out by seconds it appears with the same 11:59 “post-time.”
      Otter 649 had the first post of 2013, and Joe C. had the last post of 2012 (it might have been the other way around).

“Where’s the Beef?/What’s the Beef?”

55. donmarco says:

Wow, for first time in a while, so much to comment on. And hockey related too.

– Congrats to HIO
    – Hat’s off big time to Ian
    – Low maintenance, big depth d-man. I like it.

I have a lack of knowledge about LTIR qualifications and rules, but this puts the Habs roster at 24. assuming Emelin will be on IR to start the season, if he’s declared LTIR does his space on the roster free up? But will he be LTIR for only 2 months? Tinordi is the only player who could be sent down without going through waivers. Right? Are there other scenarios?

56. Bill says:

EOTP are pissed because they are finding Murray’s Fenwick hard to swallow.

This is a great signing on so many levels. Murray is not a skater, but he is smart and knows how to use his size. Think Carey Price likes this signing? Yes. Yes he does.

The BEST part of this is it gives Tinordi and Beaulieu another year in the AHL which is always advantageous for all but the most elite young defenders.

Subban and Gorges, Markov and Murray, Diaz and Bouillon. That is not too shabby at all.

57. Whatever says:

1,000,126 th

58. Chris says:

Murray has never been a good skater. When he re-signed with the Sharks back in 2008, the most frequent comment was that he was a “bottom pairing guy that might be the slowest skater in the NHL”. I think his skating issues are more hyped because he got more exposure playing with Pittsburgh…San Jose has long flown completely under the NHL radar.

As others have pointed out, it isn’t Diaz that is out of a job with Murray’s signing. Murray is yet another left-handed defenceman on a team loaded with them: Markov, Gorges, Bouillon, Emelin, Drewiske and Beaulieu are all left-handed shots, while Diaz, Subban and Tinordi represent the only right-handed shooting defencemen.

I think this is a very clear sign that Drewiske won’t have a job, and it suggests that Tinordi and Beaulieu don’t have a place this coming season except as injury call-ups.

• Cal says:

The chance for Tinordi and Beaulieu to keep developing is a very good thing. Hopefully, the days of rushing players up is over.

• Chris says:

I’m okay with both guys taking their time. Tinordi showed a lot of potential last season, but he was also very raw. Playing another 20-40 games in the AHL as a top-pairing guy won’t hurt his development.

With so many veterans, injuries are virtually certain to impact the Habs’ defence corps. With Tinordi, they have a guy who can step in and help out in the first half, while Emelin’s return really bolsters them in near the Olympic break.

Another positive to this is that there is no need to rush Emelin back. Let him take his time, and make sure that knee is truly 100%.

• krob1000 says:

I am still hoping somehwere that Groges is going to be moved…if they moved his salary and took little back they could really improve. I like Gorges like everyone else but he just doesn;t seem to fit when I look at the team moving forward. If the team is forced to decide between Emelin and Gorges I realy hope they side with Emelin…but hat is just me and most will likely differ.
      There is also Nygren coming along…the depth in MOntreal this year is at a reent memory high…how MB manages that will be key. I hope we don;t see a repeat of the exodus season….because this is a golden oppprotunity…some incredibly fortunate picks (Patches, PK, Gallagher, Halk morphing into Eller, Galchenyuk,etc) have given the team what should be a very bright near future

• Hobie Hansen says:

Diaz might hold onto his job this year, might, but he won’t be resigned next year. He’s a small guy with a bit of offesive upside who are a dime a dozen. We just booted Weber to curb who’s pretty much a prototype of Diaz.

Best case scenario for the Habs is if Tinordi absolutely turns everyone head in camp in a few weeks and Diaz is subtracted from the lineup.

• on2ndthought says:

Missed by a mile. I see Diaz as top 10% NHL skate, pass, shoot, and compete. Not a hitter, decent position, will lose some battles (more than he’ll win against ‘power’ forwards, vice-versa for the skill guys). Few NHLers are the complete package. So Murray keeps the big boys honest but can get dazzled by razzle. Diaz is the flip side. Put ‘em as our bottom pair once Emelin is back.

“a cannonading drive”

• Bill says:

Having Murray means we can afford to carry one smallish dman. Lots of successful teams do it.

Take away Diaz, and who is on the point for the 2nd unit power play?

Full Breezer 4 Life

• tophab says:

too small like that karlson guy in ottawa.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Actually Jarred Tinordi also shoots left, so that adds to your point, in any case.

I believe that his addition to our roster makes Raphaël Diaz more effective and valuable, being a righty and a puck-mover, not disposable. Whereas last season he might have been lost in the shuffle, since we had ‘too many’ of those guys, now with Yannick Weber and Tomas Kaberle gone, he has a large role to play.

59. Cal says:

That’s a lot of Hab fan talk. This site is THE PLACE for all Hab chat, book news, politics and, of course, recipes.
    Let’s see any other team garner such a disparate (and desperate for a Cup win) group.

60. habs-fan-84 says:

This signing really makes me happy.
    That is all.

61. Epic says:

NewfHabster is the man of the hour

62. HabFanSince72 says:

Hilarious.

EyesonthePrize and H/I O have diametrically opposed views of the Murray signing.

EOTP think Murray is the worst d-man in hockey and this proves Bergevin is clueless. H I/O is tumescent at the thought of Murray in red white and blue.

I’m in the middle.

6th pairing d-man who plays on the PK, signed to an advantageous one year contract.

• doc359 says:

I’m not saying he is the answer to all our problems, but god damn, I could barely get half way through all the comments at EOTP. I can’t stand how all of their writers seem like they could be intelligent and good journalists, then ruin it by how they act in the comment section

• Chris says:

I tried to read through the comments…but those guys are so bloody confrontational about everything.

If I have to read “the _______ fallacy” or “strawman argument” one more time, I will scream. If they really want to be taken seriously, they need to express their opinion, step back, and then let other people comment. Every single conversation does not need to be a duel to the death. The EotP writers can’t seem to do that, and it is really off-putting.

Too bad, because they often have good points. It just gets buried in endless silliness.

• doc359 says:

If you could combine their ability to track and express advanced stats with the ability to be professional and slightly unbiased, EOTP would be HUGE

• Chris says:

They’re doing a nice job in some respects, but they are increasingly becoming a niche site with their devotion to the statistical side.

Sabremetrics has always been a bit polarizing: its followers believe that it is all you need to be successful, while its critics maintain that it can’t replace gut instinct and what our eyes are actually telling us.

I don’t think there is any question that sabremetrics can help in analyzing a team or evaluating a player. But you’ve still got to trust your other resources.

63. Say Ash says:

Oooh, I can yank the Garth Murray jersey out of the closet. Just pick #57, Douggie!

64. JUST ME says:

Congrats to HIO and to each and everyone of us ,even the negatives…for keeping this site alive and generally clean and respectful.

A big thank you to everyone from the gazette,Stu and the gang for feeding us 365 days a year !

65. on2ndthought says:

Just posted this on the old(?) thread:
    OK, so MB addresses our biggest need, FORCEFULLY and HIO is euphoric. I said Markov would make Phaneuf look good, he will make Murray look awesome!

The girls get another piece of eye-candy (you’re spoiling them MB!), the boys all get Swedish massages :)

This guy may not have the greatest speed or puck-handling, but he is smart, and will make the most of his talents if giving a role he can fill (just like Parros). It is up to the coaches, but especially the other players, to respond and turn these two minus players into plus players by carrying the scoring load while they are on the ice.

I see:
    Subban-Gorges huge minutes
    Markov- Murray until Emelin gets back
    Diaz-Bouillon/Drewiske/Tinordi

once Emelin is back I’m with youngun:
    Subban – Gorges
    Markov – Emelin
    Diaz- Murray

#1PP Marky-PK, then Diaz-Gorges
    PK, Gorges-Murray

I think this guy was first on most of our ‘sign this guy’ wishlists. Wishes DO come true sometimes.
    Let’s hope we are as smart as we think :) !

Addition: it was great to see Muray handle Ott when Ott was with Dallas. We didn’t have anyone who could back him off last year and it cost us points.

“a cannonading drive”

• HammerHab says:

I seem to remember Bouillion tuning Ott last year in that blowout game in Buffalo….

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

66. Thomas Le Fan says:

Congrats to us all! And to Ian for “coming out of the closet”! ;)

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

67. Trisomy 21 says:

Interesting story on the other Ian

68. secretdragonfly says:

Ian, do you remember the Gazette photographer getting up on that ladder to take the shot? Boy, did we get some weird looks from the passers-by.

• Chuck says:

I though that we’d be witness to a photographer falling to his death!

__________________________________________________
      Anyone but the Sens! (Check.) And Boston (Triple check.) Oh, and the Laffs, too. (Double check.)

69. Lafleurguy says:

Congrats to all of you captured in the above photo.

“Where’s the Beef?/What’s the Beef?”

70. Habfan10912 says:

We are famous!!!!!

71. TheDagger says:

Who was it? Who gets to say “One Millionth!”?

Also… second