HIO fans want to see Lecavalier with Habs

Judging by our latest HIO poll, Canadiens fans want to see Vincent Lecavalier in bleu-blanc-rouge.

Twenty-four hours after the Tampa Bay Lightning announced they were going to buy out Lecavalier, who still had seven years remaining on an 11-year, $85-million contract with a $7,727,273 cap hit every year, 74 per cent of more than 1,800 votes said they wanted to see Lecavalier with the Habs.

Wrote Bill Beacon of The Canadian Press: “The Canadiens have not had a French-Canadian star in many years, and Lecavalier would fit that bill. They also want to get bigger up front, and Lecavalier is six-foot-four. And, with 20 players signed and $9 million in salary cap space open, they should be able to afford him.

“Even Mathieu Darche, a former Canadien and Lightning, urged (Canadiens GM Marc) Bergevin on his blog for RDS to sign the slick centre who scored 52 goals in 2006-07.”

It’s interesting to note that Lecavalier and Bergevin were teammates with the Lightning during the 2002-03 season when Bergevin played one game with Tampa Bay near the end of his NHL career.

Lecavalier will become a free agent on July 5.

(Photo by Dirk Shadd/The Associated Press)

Bergevin faces extra heat heading into second draft as Habs GM, montrealgazette.com

Tampa Bay to use buyout on Lecavalier, montrealgazette.com

Lecavalier touches Tampa in lasting way, Tampa Bay Times

Could Jonathan Drouin become Lightning’s next French-Canadian star? by Stu Cowan

All the latest news heading into NHL draft, montrealgazette.com/nhldraft

Five reasons Blackhawks won Stanley Cup, NHL.com

GM Stan Bowman gets right back to work with Blackhawks, NHL.com

Florida Panthers offering season tickets for only $7 a game, by Stu Cowan

1. mfDx says:

If Lecavalier gets bought out, he’ll walk away with over $30 million. Right? Who’s to say he won’t sign wherever he wants for Gomez (circa 2013)money?
    The last thing I would want to be remembered for would be having been bought out multiple times in my career. I’d let Kaberle and Sean Avery fight for that dubious distinction.

Sent from my CHphone

2. j2w4habs25 says:

IF MB won’t sign Vinny. I am willing to throw 100 bucks a year in.. am sure we fans can come up with 5 mills for 3 years…

just sayin’

Carey Price #31

3. habfanacrossthed says:

MB has a chance to sign Vinny. I say go for it. Good center depth, with the possibility of moving VL to the wing.

Pacioretty Lecavalier Gallagher
    Galchenyuk Plekanec Bourque
    DD Eller Bickell
    Prust White Blunden

Markov Subban
    Diaz Emelin
    Tinordi Gorges
    Price

Trade Gio, and Moen. Love to see the Habs trade Markov while he can help other teams PP. Need top 4 clearing dman. Vinny Captain in 2014.

GHOD – Go Habs Or Die

• Bim says:

Right on brother! Markov is past it now and so are Gio and Moen. I also say go for Vinny and Bickell. Vinny sill has lots left in the tank I think he would generate enthusiasm never seen in Montreal in years. Fans want him so bad they can taste it and he won’t cost much. Go for it MB! Great to see some size coming finally. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Price on his way out if he doesn’t get his act together. Hope Marty retires. He could be Price’s mentor. A much needed one at that!

4. Thomas Le Fan says:

Votes 3-1 for signing VL? I’m glad no one here is actually managing this team.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

5. Feraco says:

I don’t think Vinny would replace Pleks. Vinny is a #1 and Pleks is a #2 with Eller and Gally our #3 centers.

If Vinny was signed one center of Gally, Eller or Desharnais would have to go. Obv it would be Desharnais. Desharnais makes approx 4m per season? I’m sure we could sign Lecavalier for that price…even at 5 mil for 2 seasons? Hell the guy is going to be paid or the next 7 years or so.

Might want to sign him before TO does!

• Forum Dog says:

I think if they were to seriously try and ink Lecavalier, Plekanec is the one that becomes expendable. Eller should continue to improve and grow into a #2 role. Desharnais is a good #3 who can fill in at #2 if need be. Both are cheaper than Plekanec, and neither would generate the same return if traded.

Lecavalier for the same type of money as Plekanec – and a trade that sees Plekanec go for a rough and tumble D-man (who can play 15-20/per game) would be a win for the Habs in my mind.

6. Dunboyne Mike says:

Busy, busy HIO!

Anyone still here is THREE threads behind!

Go, go , go!

7. Forum Dog says:

Read the Tampa Bay Times article and tell me you wouldn’t want this guy leading your team and taking up one of your top 2 centre spots. Big, tough, skilled pivot who leads by example both on and off the ice.

Sign him up for 4-5 and front load it to bring down the cap-hit. 5 years at 6-4-4-3-3 is a $4M per against the cap, which is reasonable if you consider everything that he brings. And if the cap-hit is reasonable, even average production (50 points) should prevent the fans and media from eating him alive.

8. careysubban3176 says:

The Habs won’t go out and get Vinny or Horton or anybody like that. I wish they would but MB has made it clear he wants to build in the draft and that’s it. And this is why the Habs will never be a legitimate cup contender because when you build through the draft you really only have around 2 players per draft who you HOPE turn out and make an impact in the NHL and if they don’t your basically stuck with what you got. That’s why you almost have to tank for a good 3-5 years so you get top 5 picks consistantly and almost guarantee 3-4 superstars like the Pens and Blackhawks have by losing in the early 2000s

• ont fan says:

Cup winners have 14 to 15 orginal drafted players on their teams. You build through the draft. Look it up.

• Forum Dog says:

Cup winners also add key pieces through free agency or trade (see Hossa in Chicago, Chara in Boston, Richards & Carter in LA). Not saying Lecavalier is directly comparable to Chara or Hossa at this stage of his career, but he is still a top-end NHL player.

• SmartDog says:

He says “build through the draft” but he knows that his best move last year was Prust.

He’s not blind to free agency playing a role. I think he’s just making a statement about NOT shipping out players willy-nilly or trying a huge wholesale change like the last regime did. And instead, doing a better job at drafting and developing players.

That, plus this strategy buys him time. :)

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

9. SmartDog says:

JUST A COUPLA THOUGHTS:

1. Bergevin doesn’t need Lecavalier or Briere because just nabbed Blunden for another year. We’re set up front boys!
    2. I hate to say it but in David Deharnais we have our token overpaid pure laine ‘star’. And look how that’s turning out for him. No local hero would want to come to Montreal to revive their career. They (and their reputation) are much better off staying away.
    3. I see the Gazette is trying to make people pay to read it again. If only it was better. I picked up a Journal de Montreal today – there are at least 10 hockey articles, some of them huge. The Gazette coverage is mostly anniversaries and retreads.
    4. I’m so tired of hearing over and over how great our cap situation will be in 2014-15. Please look at all the guys due raises – big raises for several – and how many players we need to add. Look at the whole picture people!
    5. I hope Bergevin does at least ONE slightly shocking move. If not, I will be concerned. I want to know he’ll do what it takes.

SD

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Good points all, SD.

I especially sympathise with No. 5.

• SmartDog says:

Thanks. I agree – point 5 is crucial. If Bergevin doesn’t surprise us by breaking the mold a little, there’s something wrong. There are some serious question marks on this team, and you’ve got to gamble a little to win. I want to see him do at least one bold move to show how determined he is.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Forum Dog says:

RE: Point 4 – Who other than Subban and (maybe) Eller/Emelin, is due a raise in 2014-15? Neither of the latter two are superstars who will demand huge deals, and Gionta and Markov will either be gone or making less, opening up even more space.

I’d say that the Habs cap situation for 2014-15 is favourable. Pacioretty and Price locked up, tonnes of room to get Subban under a LTD, plus flexibility for the following year’s RFAs (Gallagher, Galchenyuk and Tinordi).

10. Hammer says:

no thank you Vinnie. The Habs need to get someone that is tough in the mold of Luch in Boston. Vinnie is past his expiration date as a dominant force. It is time for the youth to shine, and to get bigger and tougher. Four years ago I would have welcomed with open arms, today no thank you.

11. joeybarrie says:

Upside, big center who wins more faceoffs than he loses for the most part. Veteran who is a pretty good scorer and is something missing from our team.
    Downside, we have a lot of centers. He is getting older and has missed 20% of each of the last 3 seasons. (we have a lot of that already)
    For the right price, have a hometown hero from St. Lazare.
    I would say yes. If he can play wing, and step in for DD if he plays as well next season as he did last season. (which i’m not bashing, I like DD and he has had 2 good seasons, just not top 2 line good last season)
    But he will make more money somewhere else. Will he take a discount to play back home? Or does he love his tan?
    We will see, but he should be part of a conversation regardless.

12. Stevie.Ray says:

Somebody asked below why the Habs need a French-Canadian star. I think it’s difficult for the Anglophone fans to understand, but I think it’s very important to Quebec and their culture. Unfortunately, in Canada, Quebec is almost completely forgotten about when it comes to creating national policy. I think if it weren’t for the Habs, most of the country would forget Quebec existed (maybe moreso out west). I think star francophone players offer the province a symbol of hope for young Quebecois. Showing them that can succeed in a world surrounded by English. If it weren’t for players like Richard and Lafleur and Beliveau, I think Quebec would have become more assimilated into English culture than they already have been. I know it’s frustrating for English fans to see a team focus on something other than winning games, but I have always been proud that the Habs stood for something more than just a good hockey team.

• The Dude says:

A distinct society needs a distinct star..

• habstrinifan says:

If you have read my posts you will know that I am right behind you re a French superstar. But this part of your post,

” Unfortunately, in Canada, Quebec is almost completely forgotten about when it comes to creating national policy. I think if it weren’t for the Habs, most of the country would forget Quebec existed (maybe moreso out west)”

is untrue … to put it kindly.

• SmartDog says:

We wish. Sadly most of what Canada hears about Quebec lately has to do with corruption, or antiquated, backwards, or borderline racist policies.

But then there are bagels, hockey, and strippers! Still lots of good things to love here! :)

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Hobie Hansen says:

A lot of French Habs fans I know, co-workers and friends, are pissed when language is put before winning hockey games.

• ZepFan2 says:

Don’t worry about Quebec being forgotten by the rest of Canada. They have their ways of letting everyone hear them loud and clear.

———————————————————————-
      Ka is a wheel.

“On we sweep, with threshing oar.
      Our only goal will be the Stanley Cup!” – Danno

For Your Life

13. The_Franchise31 says:

Wow I can’t believe there are soapy ppl that want vinnie on the Habs. Maybe if its a one year deal I would be happy but anything else would be stupid

14. Habfan29 says:

Pure BS that Florida can offer season tickets for $7 per game, that includes a jersey, free parking, and concerts. That is less than 1 beer at the Bell Centre. This should not be permitted, why do the habs and other teams have to continually prop up the weak cousin. How much are season tickets in Montreal? If the Florida teams cannot fill the arena or make money move them. I can’t afford to take my family to a game because for decent seats, parking and food it would be the same cost for me to go to florida and watch the habs play there. This is sad…….
    Mr. Molson you should tell Mr. Bettman to get his head out of his ass and fix these disparities…or get someone that can!!!!

• You know what, to protest against the NHL’s insistence on giving teams to cities that can’t support them, we should organize a fund where Montrealers can donate to buy up all Florida’s season tickets for $7 a pop — and then just don’t go to the games. : )

15. Hockey Bob says:

This HIO fan don’t want to see VL in a Habs sweater, Vinny at 23 not at 33 with hard miles and injury problems. Take a pass MB get younger play the kids.

16. bwoar says:

Normally I’d never advocate signing an aging Quebec-born player who had a chance to sign with the Habs while young, and didn’t.

But:

-is big? check.
    -can still score & drop mitts? check. (What? He fights from time to time.)
    -Can play the wing? check.

I’m not ‘all-in’ for Vinny, but I’d be interested in knowing what kind of contract would put him in a CH sweater. There are other guys on the market who are interesting too; I’m saying it’s silly to ignore a player who has all the attributes we’re looking for in a forward this summer.

“thoroughbred”

• Ed says:

if we want to win a few playoff games next season we better add a few veteran players who will not be intimidated.

I think that’s a big reason why spending Plekanec money on Vinnie makes sense to me.

we have a tough situation next playoff season. we have a big, experienced, talented center to throw out there who has the physical tools to pull through.

if it’s not Vinnie, then it will have to be other, big body veterans.

big body veterans with talent are not easy to find.

if we don’t care about winning playoff games next season, then, sure let’s forget about adding and just go with what he have already.

we’ll either miss the playoffs or be physically manhandled by an over-rated, crap, Ottawa team again.

• You make good points, and if he’d sign here for $3M I’d do it in a heartbeat. But Plekanec can score goals in the low 20’s too, and vitally he’s one of the best defensive centres in the game. He’s also a better skater than Vinny, and arguably a better passer. He doesn’t have anywhere near the size or toughness, I’ll grant you, but if we lose Plekanec, we’ll have to offset that loss with a big defensive upgrade somewhere else.

I’d much rather go after a guy like Horton this summer, who’s about as good offensively as Lecavalier, probably better defensively, and is no pushover either. He may even be cheaper, since he doesn’t have as much star status, and crucially he won’t worsen our logjam at centre, where if all goes well Galchenyuk and Eller are our top two centres of the future.

I’ve got nothing against the guy, and for some teams, he makes a ton of sense. I just don’t Montreal is one of those teams.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Again, if Lecavalier is available for a decent price, on a 2 or 3 year deal, he’d be a good fit in Montreal.

I’d have no problem with moving Plekanec, if he waves his NTC, and I’d be ecstatic if Bergevin could unload Desharnais to make room for Lecavalier.

Lecavalier-Eller-Galchenyuk down the middle for 2 or 3 years would be perfect. Maybe that order reverses in year 2 or 3.

But if Lecavalier and his agent are looking at a big money 5 year deal, and other teams are biting,forget it.

Bergevin should make an inquiry though.

• Ed says:

5 year deal? Absolutely forget it. I would never go 5 years.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Vinny had a presser yesterday and I heard the guys on the TSN 690 morning radio show mention that he plans on playing a lot more hockey and might be looking for a deal that takes him into his late 30s.

Not sure how accurate that is though?

17. Strummer says:

From Bruce Garrioch:

“Why do we keep hearing Habs GM Marc Bergevin has been sniffing around to see what he can get for Tomas Plekanec on the market? He has a no-trade clause and three years at a cap hit of $5 million per-season … The Stars are offering around Erik Cole. Here’s an idea: Trade him back to the Carolina Hurricanes”

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• bwoar says:

Eh, If Bergeron signs VL4, it’s almost a guarantee that Plekanec is on his way out, unless of course Vinny converts to the wing….? I don’t see either thing as a big possibility, but it’s fun to speculate.

“thoroughbred”

18. 10 years ago, I would have been thrilled to land Lecavalier. But in 2012-13, he managed 10 goals last year — as many as Markov.

In 2011-12, he managed 22 goals.

In 2010-11, 25 goals.

In 2009-10, 24 goals.

What’s the love affair with this guy? He hasn’t managed 1 point per game since 07-08. He hasn’t had a full healthy season since 09-10. And worst of all, he’ll likely bilk some team for $24M+ over four years. I just hope that team isn’t us, because we can’t afford to tie up that much cap space if we’re serious about rebuilding.

• Ed says:

10 goals and 32 points last season in 38 games.

I think the number of games the teams played last season should be included in your analysis.

• Fair enough. But that translates to a little less than 20 goals and 64 points over an 82-game season. Those are Desharnais/Eller-type numbers. Solid, yes, but not for the salary he’s going to command.

The best thing Bergevin can do right now IMO is avoid paying through the nose for the FA stars at the centre of bidding wars, sign solid 2nd/3rd/4th-line players through free agency, and develop our stars from within.

• Strummer says:

For a career .84 ppg he was grossly overpaid

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• habs-fan-84 says:

He would’ve been 4th on the Habs in points last year….with 39GP.

19. Fansincebirth says:

This insistence of we have to have a ‘French star’ is ludicrous and continues to handcuff this team and it’s management (see DD). The sooner people give up the need for a French identity to this team the better it will be. Crap I’m getting sick of the whole HAS TO BE FRENCH garbage. Get the best available player and deal with it! Are Franco fans so insecure that they need a French star as a blankie in hockey? Ya, ya, I know all about the history and former stars etc but it is just that, history.

Build a freakin bridge and get over it and get over yourselves while you’re at it.

20. H.Upmann says:

omg hes BIGGER THAN THE DOOR!!! SIGN HIM!!!

21. Strummer says:

Bickell wants to stay in Chicago and is willing to do a hometown discount

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

22. Puck Bard says:

Vinnie can take his size and 20 goals / year and park ‘em in Vancouver or T.O. He’s old news, and the Habs don’t need him.

• RobertAlanFord says:

Agreed. That ship sailed years ago.

@BBRhockey

• Dust says:

yeah who needs a guy that was a captain for his team. won a cup. Has lots of skill. A big body centre. Who needs him. Not the habs. No way. whatever.
      Of course Vinny would help the habs. We have a chance to add without subtracting anything from our team. He would be a top 3 player on our team. I understand he isn’t the player he was 4 years ago but he still would be a top player on this current hab team

• Strummer says:

Vinnie could be a valuable addition, depending on term and dollars.

At $4.5 to $5 million per season- no way!

Hell that’s “Gionta” money!

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

23. RobertAlanFord says:

I said it yesterday and I’ll say it again. This is not the Lecavalier that everyone in Montreal was drooling over a few years back. So what if he’s a talented local boy. Big deal. This team is meant to be looking forward and not the other way around.

If anything, having guys like Lecavalier, Briere, Bryzgalov, Morrow, Iginla etc. on the UFA list takes away a bit of attention from guys like Bickell, Clarkson, Penner, Gordon etc. who I believe to be the real targets for this Montreal team. I mean c’mon, Prust, White and Bickell jump over the boards for their next shift and even the Bruins would be saying “AWWWWWW F@#%!!!!”.

Prust was used in a bunch of different scenarios on different line combinations which made a huge difference as we saw. Throw in a second similar player and now you have double that flexibility and can also pair them up on the same line if you really want to make a …… statement.

So yeah, I vote a big no for the Vinnys and Dannys out there.

@BBRhockey

• Ed says:

the only thing Penner should be a target for is ridicule. He has 11 goals in his last 117 NHL games.

• piper says:

If we could get Vinny for a DD type of contract that would be fine but it won’t happen. Habs need to keep with the plan which hopefully includes a big tough power forward and a big tough steady defender.

24. habs001 says:

Robinson, Savard and Lapointe today combined 22/m a year?

25. habs001 says:

Gion and Iginla are shadows of the type of players they were…they will still get you 20 goals but they are invisible in many games ..even in games where they score…the wear and tear on their bodies do not make them the dominate players they used to be on the ice that caused havoc and stress for the opposition d…they score mostly quiet goals based on their experience…

26. habsfan0 says:

Looks like Markov has suffered yet another setback in his rehab.
    Seems to be a daily occurrence.

27. canuckbot says:

Lecavalier won the poll over Brier but I’d rather have Iginla, Horton or Elias.

28. Garbo says:

If the habs want a French star, I would much prefer to see Letang.

• Kooch7800 says:

not at 7 plus million. PK is better than Letang

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• HabFanSince72 says:

Of course but he would have to be acquired in a major trade.

Besides the notion that Habs fans “want a French star” is not quite correct. Sure, like on any team in almost any sport, a local hero would probably be idolized, but the lack of such a Franco star for the past decade and more hasn’t stopped fans from making the Habs the second most profitable franchise in the league.

• Un Canadien errant says:

A French star? You mean like Tim Bozon?

from Wiki:

Timothé Bozon (born March 24, 1994) is a French ice hockey left winger. He is currently with the Kamloops Blazers of the Western Hockey League (WHL), a major junior league in Canada.

Bozon was born in St. Louis, Missouri, where his father, Philippe Bozon, played hockey for the St. Louis Blues of the National Hockey League (NHL), but was raised in France, where his father is from. Bozon then moved to Switzerland to further his career, before moving again to Canada after the Blazers selected him in the 2011 CHL Import Draft. At the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, Bozon was selected 64th overall by the Montreal Canadiens. Internationally Bozon has played for the French national junior team in several tournaments and joined the French national senior team in the 2013 IIHF World Championships.

• Ed says:

The word French is used today to describe people who speak French even if they were born and/or live in Quebec, and not in France.

I understand your point, but today’s language accepts this term.

As an anglophone living in Quebec I would have no problem saying that my new neighbors are French – as in, french speaking Quebecois.

• Old Bald Bird says:

I agree. I don’t mind being called English in the right context. Francophone and Anglophone seem overly pedantic to me.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I disagree. Too often, the fact that someone “is French” is used as a pejorative, it indicates that person is different, in a bad way. As Don Cherry with visors for example.

Personally, in a mostly joking manner, people have said “Yeah, but you’re French…” to me, as if it explained my opinion, or trivialized it in some way. And I refuse to play along with people’s subtle, maybe even unconscious biases. I remind them that I’m not French, I’m Canadian. I happen to be a native Francophone, but that doesn’t mean I’m less Canadian.

29. habsfan0 says:

Today, the Chicago Blackhawks are holding their “Stanley Cup Parade.”
    Tomorrow,the Toronto Maple Leafs will be holding their “We Made The Playoffs Parade.” Thousands are expected to line Yonge Street.

Today is a good day. Today is the massage day.

31. adesbarats says:

The statement below is why PK has come so far and why I think we should take his brother Jordan in the second round if we have the chance:

“Jordan plays more of a cerebral type of game and is more of a thinker and I play off my instincts and try to do a little bit of everything,” P.K. Subban said. “I think Jordan’s skill level is much higher than mine. I’m on the ice with him every day during the summer doing skill stuff, and he’s the one demonstrating the drill.”

These guys work their butts off winter AND summer. Natural skill with that kind of year round dedication leads to success.

That (apparent) lack of dedication worries me with Carey Price. I think he has great pedigree and natural talent but instead of working in the off season to build on his strengths and improve on his weaknesses, he’s doing the rodeo circuit. I find that worrisome.

• Chris says:

Wayne Gretzky played softball in the summers, and has been very outspoken that today’s kids are playing too much hockey by going to camps and training through the summer.

Most of the Europeans take a break and play other sports. Price will be fine.

• adesbarats says:

Not sure using Wayne Gretzky as a benchmark is necessarily fair. He was above and beyond any normal athlete. Nonetheless, hope you’re right.

• Garbo says:

Not sure I would base my drafting strategy on what the draftee’s older brother has to say about him.

• adesbarats says:

Maybe not but having PKs input would give a different angle / look at this kid that others would not have. I wouldn’t discard that kind of insight if I was Timmons or Bergevin.

32. Sportfan says:

If only we had the money for Letang and PK

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

33. habsfan0 says:

I don’t know what Ottawa’s cap situation is, but I would not like to see Chris Letang sign there. A Letang Erik Karlsson pairing would be scary.

34. Habfan4lfe says:

Ha ha ha what a joke thanks for the early morning laugh. Yeah I don’t think he’s going to be playing in Montreal sorry to have to spoil the funnies for you but just like Briere won’t play in Montreal neither will this guy. That’s a huge FAIL poll. What’s that song by Aerosmith? Dream on?

Team needs to get rid of Plekanec, Gionta, Moen amongst others. That’s the headline I care to see.

35. Sportfan says:

Is Letang being a pain in the butt for the Pens?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

36. Sportfan says:

Here you go guys, a new article for my personal blog and its hockey related!

NHL: Opinions and Notes on Offseason: http://nickolaisblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/28/nhl-opinions-and-notes-on-offseason/

Most of the discussion surrounding Vinny has been about his salary, length of term and playing role. Of course his French heritage is still the main attraction. I seriously doubt there would be as much hype if it was Brad Richards being bought out.

Here’s the main focus that’s on my mind. MB was brought in to clean house and take the team in a new direction. No more band aids or Hail Marys. Build with good kids over a 3-5 year period so that the team would have the right pieces in place to REALLY challenge for the Cup. Mirror the building blocks that other Cup teams have that take them over the top.

Last year was great but a realistic fan would admit that this team is still in the building stage. Subban is the main building block with a chance that Price, MaxPac and Galchenyuk will soon join him. The next few years will tell the tale. Now at the first chance, the fans want MB to divert from that plan and bring in a 33 year old, injury prone player. There is no doubt that Vinny has star talent, but he’s on the other side of the hill to be sure. As well, what does bringing this guy in say to the rest of the organization? He may be viewed as a great supplementary piece but he could also represent a return to the old days of wishful thinking.

I may eventually eat my words but I really think the Lecavalier ship sailed 15 years ago. Hab fans need to get over it. MB needs to spend his time focussing on getting a stop gap replacement for Ryder as well as a Dman with size who plays a tough, physical game.

• Bill says:

I’m with you on that, one of the few it would seem.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• mrhabby says:

People think with there hearts not with there heads.

agree…

• Chris says:

I think Pacioretty is already there. He’s got to improve his defensive game, but he is already a pretty top forward in the NHL.

Price is less of an issue for me. He is good enough if the team defence improves. I want to see the Canadiens adopt the Bruins mentality of fighting for every inch of ice.

The Habs won’t likely have the firepower of the Penguins or the Black Hawks, who both took years of high draft picks to build their core. They need to build a contender by a total commitment to winning games, even at the expense of personal statistics.

• mrhabby says:

which translates into more character guys needed for this team.

• Chris says:

Not necessarily. A defensive system that wasn’t plucked from the Timbits coach’s manual would be a great start. The Habs have more character guys than people realize, but I believe they were put into a bad role.

As much as I hated the Swarm, I think it was a product of no coaching time. I suspect we will see something a bit more professional this season as Daigneault, Gallant, Therrien and Jodoin are all guys with extensive head coaching experience. If they can’t put something better together between them with a summer to actually implement it, I’ll be fantastically disappointed.

• JF says:

Great post, Steve… especially the phrase ‘the old days of wishful thinking.’ The media as well as fans are too ready to jump back into this way of thinking every time an aging French-Canadian star hits the market. Lecavalier did not want to play for the Habs in his prime; yet fans still want him now that he’s well past it.

• donmarco says:

I don’t see signing him as being a “deviation from the plan” as you suggest. When a player of Lecavalier’s stature suddenly becomes available for a cap friendly amount and term, you need to take a long and serious look at your “plan”. Would I have traded assets for him? No. Would I have eaten his contract? No. But would I sign him for 4 years at let’s say 4 million? I sure would. Put it this way, would you rather have Gionta signed to an extension for 4 Mil, or Lecavalier? Plus, having someone to mentor the young centres, and provide MB with options with DD? No, I do not see this as a deviation at all, more of an unexpected gift.

“Fans don’t boo nobodies”. Reggie Jackson

• Puck Bard says:

I couldn’t agree more. I was more than a little surprized to see that 74%. At the first sight of the next shiny new thing (well… shiny OLD thing) everyone wants to drop the plan? His production hasn’t been the same since 2009. Yes, the Habs need a big centre, just not this big centre. It’s been about 14 months: can we give MB some time to execute a plan with some strategy?

• Old Bald Bird says:

To me, VL signed for 3 years at a decent salary would not be a deviation but a sidestep. It should entail another adjustment — Pleks or DD going — and I don’t see that as changing the long term plan.

38. youngwun says:

Why do people want vinny? You do realize that we already have pleks, Eller , gally and dd at C position . We need a winger not and old centre. Only a real fan would know this !

• Kooch7800 says:

I am not pro vinny or anything but he can also play the wing

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• habs-fan-84 says:

I’d like to know how a 33 year old 6’4″ centreman who’s averaged .84ppg over his career isn’t a good fit for this team?

He played 39 games this year and still would have finished 4th in points on the habs…yeah you’re right, who needs a guy like that.

• florida habs says:

sounds like another big contract for a player in decline, but would consider if we get rid of DD, also do we need the continual media circus that would arrive and be a distraction about weather Vinny had corn flakes or cheerios for breakfast.

• habs-fan-84 says:

I’m not advocating breaking the bank on Lecavalier.
          All I’m saying is that if it’s possible to get Lecavalier at around 4.5M I think the Habs have to make an attempt.

We’re going to have to replace Ryder’s point totals somehow (naturally I think we’ll see an uptick in Eller, Galchenyuk and Bourque’s totals this upcoming season to help offset).

• mrhabby says:

they will make an attempt or make it look like they tried. he will sign with someone else for large dollars and term and the CH brass can say we tried but the $ were to large.

• Timo says:

You had me at DD.

39. JF says:

According to TSN yesterday, David Perron could be on the move. Despite the concussion he had a few years ago, I’d far rather get him than either Lecavalier or Brière. The same age as Max Pacioretty, big, gritty, can play either wing, goes to the net. Exactly what we need. If Bergevin could somehow make that happen, it would silence the rabid French-Canadian media, which will otherwise be ready to assassinate him if he doesn’t make a move for Lecavalier.

• Chris says:

Agreed. He fits a need more than Lecavalier does, and will likely come cheaper.

• 24 Cups says:

Perron has three years left at 3.8M. I think St Louis would want a pretty decent return.

• Chris says:

I’m not sure how decent that return needs to be. St. Louis is making cap space for the guys they need to sign.

Stewart and Pietrangelo are RFA’s this season that are going to cost them big bucks. Allen is probably looking for a raise this summer as a RFA as well. I think they might be clearing some space to make a run at a goalie. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Bryzgalov end up in St. Louis.

• Mike D says:

He’s signed for three more years at 3.8mil which I think is pretty reasonable. You probably already knew that though so my apologies – it was stated for the benefit of those who didn’t.

I wonder if we could trade DD for him being that they just lost MacDonald to retirement if we kept part of DD’s salary….say 500K per year?

• Mike D says:

Excellent post Jane! Couldn’t agree more and said similar on the previous thread.

• Habfan17 says:

Send them Pleks and Gorges

Habfan17

• Timo says:

I’d like Perron with the Habs. They can have David Desharnais. It’s a very steep price to pay but you gotta give some to get some.

40. junyab says:

“HIO fans want to see Lecavalier with Habs”

Umm…ya…no we don’t.

Not at the 4-5 x $4-$5 he’ll be asking for.

41. Sportfan says:

Check it out MLB Playoff Expansion Yay or nay?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

42. frontenac1 says:

@kootch. Who doesn’t amigo?

43. otisfxu says:

As stated above, Habs do need a french Canadian star – however at this point in his career, Vinny only fits half that bill and it’s no longer the “etoile” half.

He is being bought out because he is not worth 7M a year, so if he is only worth half that then he must be only half as good – half of 30 goals is 15. Habs have ebough 15 goal scorers.

Only dreamers think he is going to come to Montreal and light it up. Have you seen him play the last 2 -3 years??? there is a reason he is being bought out.
    MB, move on, let the DD signing be your only bad move.

• Steeltown Hab says:

why do they need a french canadian star?

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Mike D says:

Because some people are idiots.

• Timo says:

I think Habs fans just need a stars. Before PK the team didn’t have any for nearly 20 years. PK is loved by all habs fans and nobody stops to think for a second that he is not a french canadian. Oh… I forgot about Gui! He was a star. Gui! Gui! Gui!

• Maritime Ron says:

It might have something to do with demographics where 81% of the Quebec population claims French as their mother tongue

• Thomas Le Fan says:

You do know what city they play in, right? Montreal … in Quebec? How many tickets do you buy every year at Centre Bell?

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

• florida habs says:

La Presse’s Gagnon, said so, just like our coach issues. I would like to poll fans in montreal to see if they would prefer French players/coaches or anyone that could bring a cup back to town. Ideally they would like both, but this isn’t Kansas Dorothy!

44. arcosenate says:

This is the perfect time for a Habs 24/7 show, can you imagine the conversations they are having between Owner, GM and Coach right now, with Vinnie vailable?

Now that would be TV worth watching.

• Mike D says:

I’m hoping that conversation would go something like this:

Geoff: Marc, I’m getting a lot of questions and tweets about bringing in Lecavalier. What do you think about making that move?

Marc: Understandably so, Geoff, but he’s not a good fit for our team and we don’t need him. The desire to get him is based on his heritage and not his current merits as a player. Michel, do you wanna weigh-in on this?

Michel: He’s soff.

Geoff: Okay, thanks boys. I’m having a BBQ later if you guys wanna stop by. Nothing big, just some ‘burgs and dogs.

Marc: Thanks for the offer, but the draft is coming up in a few days followed by free agency so we’ve got a lot of work to do, right Michel?

Michel: I like my buns soff.

Geoff: Okay, well…..you know where I live if you change your mind. Bring some beers if you come though. After all, I’m supplying the food.

• Timo says:

Very creative, Mikey.

• habs-fan-84 says:

• Mike D says:

Read my posts below regarding VL.

His age is one factor. The fact we already have a logjam at C is another. But mostly, his play has declined significantly, especially if you look at the last 3 years. He’s just not THAT good of a player anymore and he can’t seem to stay healthy. That’s going to get worse, not better. He’s also going to be expensive and I don’t want to sacrifice the development of Eller or Chucky to accommodate a player who is wanted primarily for his heritage and not on what he brings to the table as a player now and in the future.

It’s also important people realize that to sign Vinny is going to likely take around 4 years at 5mil per.

• habsfan0 says:

Geoff MOLSON wants others to supply the beer??

45. Mike D says:

If Letang is going to be that greedy, trade his ungrateful @$$. If I were Ray Shero, I’d find a team willing to take him for 8 years at 7.5mil, then sign Letang, and then trade him to said team minutes later.

Hopefully it would be a team that’s destined to perpetual mediocrity in a lousy market. Hell, maybe they can trade him to the Preds for Shea Weber. Too bad Weber’s contract is even more outrageous though.

Honestly yours

• Greg says:

8 years is too long for any contract. It’ll be interesting to see how this affects Subban’s negotiations. This is an obvious comparison.

• Mike D says:

I agree 8 years is too long for any contract, but it’s what top players can get and Letang is a top player.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Letang’s deal will be less than Subban’s so expect to pay more for him especially when considering the pay cut this time around.

I’d rather overpay for Subban than Letang that’s forsure.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• athanor says:

Subban didn’t take a pay cut this past season. In fact, he more than doubled his previous salary. It just wasn’t as much as he — who had yet to have the stellar season he did this year — was asking.

• Hstands4Hockey says:

You’re completely missing the mark here – Subban will be RFA (The entire purpose of the bridge contract) whereas Letang is UFA. Huge difference. They are comparable players, but Letang has way more leverage and will get a bigger contract.

Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
          @Hstands4Hockey

• Un Canadien errant says:

Ungrateful? How?

The Penguins acquired his services at the age of eighteen through the monopolistic practice of the draft. He is not allowed to offer his services on the open market until he’s 28 or so, before which time he’s being severely underpaid compared to the going rate if he weren’t so shackled.

The salary cap is another market inhibitor that depresses his earning power.

Now that he’s approaching a time when he’ll have more freedom, but still having to work in a system with a salary cap and max contract rules, and he’s evaluating his options and having his representatives negotiate with the team that has so far profited handsomely for his below-market-price services, that makes him ungrateful?

Look, we all love the NHL and our local teams, and it hurts when a favourite player exercises his collectively-bargained rights to move to another team, but we have to keep things in perspective. Gary Bettman and his oligopolists have enacted the salary cap and the resultant league we’re now presented with, where Vincent Lecavalier is bought out and Wade Redden and Mike Komisarek were forced down to the AHL. Let’s attribute some of the blame to them, as is appropriate.

At worst, Kris Letang may be unsentimental, but he’s not ungrateful.

Now if you want to argue that Willis McGahee is ungrateful, after rehabbing the knee he blew out in college at the University of Miami on the Buffalo Bills’ generous dime, and then demanding a trade out of town when he was fully healthy and productive, I’ll listen.

• Mike D says:

I hear what you’re saying, but the offer they made Letang was plenty fair IMO. He turned it down essentially over a few hundred K per year. I realize I have no business making decisions about other people’s money, BUT, he also plays with two of the worlds greatest players, on a perennial contending team, who also has many other good pieces.

To me, that’s greedy and ungrateful.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I can agree with the first paragraph, these points are hard to refute. I just can’t follow your closing statement, especially after Lockout Number 3. There`s no need to personalize this. Kris Letang is a pro hockey player involved in contract negotiation.

46. Greg says:

Vinny won’t sign here for 2 reasons:

1) Someone, somewhere (I’m looking at you Slats) will give him too much money.
    2) It would put off Galchenyuk’s development at center. With Pleks, Eller and Gally, we have 3 top-2 centers, and that’s not even counting DD. Signing Vinny means Gally goes back to the wing, and we drafted him specifically to be the big center that we’ve all been moaning about for ages.

Bergevin won’t do it. It doesn’t make sense. Patience people, patience.

47. Maritime Ron says:

I was wondering about the Vinnie options….and he has so many!

Although one never knows, he has to be independently wealthy having earned his over $70 Million in Florida during his career. Because Florida has no State Tax, it would be surprising if his net net tax rate after all deductions surpassed 20%.

Now he has another $8M Bonus guaranteed to be paid out over the next 3 years + about $1.7M per year for the next 14 years.

So many options:
    Florida: ” Hmm, Sunrise is only 284 miles from home.”
    Pittsburgh- ” I always wanted to play with Sid and Gino”
    Phoenix: ” I always wanted to play to an empty arena”
    Islanders: “I always wanted to play to an empty arena”
    Washington: I always wanted to have Ovie as my RW”
    Boston: ” What message would that send?”
    Philadelphia: ” I always wanted to play with Giroux, Max, and maybe Simon.”
    Anywhere California: ” that’s cool – like Florida-anonymous, PRIVATE.”
    Nashville: ” I love country music-Music Row.”
    Detroit: ” Pavel and Zetts would be great.”
    Montreal: “_________________________”

• Kooch7800 says:

Montreal: “I like strip clubs, hot women and smoked meat”

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Steeltown Hab says:

This was always my view on UFAs but now we’re a lot more attractive.

Young team just finished 2nd in the conference. Norris winner, Galchenyuk an emerging star, Gallagher.

Better outlook than we’ve had in a while.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Maritime Ron says:

Vinnie did mention that during his conference call yesterday.

I guess we are REALLY going to find out if Montreal was ever a destination for him.
        There are no assets going the other way and I just don’t see money being the issue

48. Old Bald Bird says:

I don’t think VL is a hill worth dying on whatever side you favour. I do wonder, however, if we are due for another year of pretending that Pleks/DD are #1 centres and that Eller and Chucky only merit minimal TOI.

• Greg says:

You don’t think Pleks is a number 1 center? Why on Earth would you think that?

• Old Bald Bird says:

Without getting into it deeply, on what line do you think he would play if he were a Bruin?

• Greg says:

Well, leaving the extremely unfair choice aside (comparing him to top centers on one of the best teams in the NHL) I would replace David Krejci with Pleks, and Bruins fans would be happy to do it.

Pleks takes on way more defensive assignments than Krejci and scores more goals. Meanwhile, Krejci centers Horton and Lucic, while Pleks centers… everybody.

Even if you argue, and you could, that Lucic-Krejci-Horton is playing second fiddle to Seguin-Bergeron-Marchand, he’s still second center behind Bergeron, who is among the best is the game.

He’s CLEARLY a number 1 center on 25-26 NHL teams, and a number two on the rest.

• GrosBill says:

When I read this post I proposed the idea of having Plex instead of Krejci to two of my die hard Bruins fan friends to see if Bruin fans would be happy. One responded with LOL and told me to dream on and the other asked if I was sober. If I find ONE Bruin fan who likes that idea I will edit this later (I have many Bruin friends since I am from NS where there are many).

I would take Krejci over Plex and I like Plex. It is not by a huge margin, but an easy choice for me. I could also see more than 4-5 teams with a better #1 center than Plex…

Edit-Third response: Habs can keep Princess Plex (not that I totally agree but seems to be pretty consistent responses so far)

• Old Bald Bird says:

I was impressed by Krejci in these playoffs. Pleks impresses more in the early season.

49. Ed says:

can we win a playoff series – even one, four out of seven series, with a tired and worn down Plekanec, Eller, and Desharnais??

That’s just not good enough.
    Not enough talent.
    Not enough physical strength,
    not enough winning experience,
    not enough of anything.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Of course not. That’s three players. The other team has 5 on the ice at the same time, plus a goalie, plus they can change.

Every game would end 60-0.

• Mike D says:

I’m not sure what your point is here?

• christophor says:

I suppose it depends on whether Eller takes a significant step forward next year, which would dig into Plekanec’s ice time and allow Desharnais to stay in his protected/exploitative role. I think that’s the most important ‘bonus’ we can hope for. Less important at this point is whether Galchenyuk is ready to step in if there’s an injury or if one of the three is underperforming, but that’s still an important secondary factor.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Galchenyuk could do better than Desharnais in his role right now.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Kooch7800 says:

No need to Rush Gally though. That kid is a gem and as he gains even more confidence he is going to become a beast.

I think you will see his ice time increase next year as he progresses but he is still really really young. They don’t want to destroy his confidence when he goes into a slump which all players do

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• christophor says:

The question is this:

Is Desharnais’ capability as a winger plus Galchenyuk’s capability as a centerman better than Desharnais’ capability as a centerman and Galchenyuk’s capability as a winger?

• Chris says:

Vincent Lecavalier’s Lightning have featured plenty of big and/or talented forwards. They also feature no less than three superstars at forward: Stamkos, St. Louis and Lecavalier.

Yet the Lightning have missed the playoffs in 5 of the past 6 playoff years. Yes, Lecavalier played fantastic in that one year that they made it and went on a run to the Conference Finals.

But his injury history makes him unreliable, and he does not fix the most glaring need on the team, which is the team defence.

I like Lecavalier and agree that he would become Montreal’s best centre. But they would still be in a dog-fight to make the playoffs, and the odds are 50/50 of late that Lecavalier would even be ready to play if they did make it.

The cost is going to be exhorbitant. He’s very likely to sign for in excess of $5 M per season. By the time that Montreal has the forward depth and defensive strength in 2-3 years’ time to challenge for a Stanley Cup, Lecavalier has a very good chance of being an albatross contract.

I think they have a Lecavalier-esque player in Alex Galchenyuk. I’m expecting him to shine next season. Will the Habs win next season? Probably not. But Lecavalier won’t change that, in my opinion.

50. Random Facts says:

MB stay away from other teams cast offs. We got burnt before and the team is still paying for it.

Rebuild with in. we’ll win a cup someday with our own players not cast offs.

51. habs-fan-84 says:

LOL Wow….Letang has apparently turned down a 7M per (8 year deal) from the Penguins…

Unbelievable…I hope the Leafs end up getting him…he’s the most overrated defenseman in the league…If he’s looking for more than 7M per it’ll turn into another Komisarek s**& show.

• chanchilla says:

while hhe may not be worth 7million in a cap based world, in no way is kris letang over rated, you’re on drugs.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Yes, he is overrated.
        Defensively he’s weak at best.

If any club pays him more than 7M per (which will no doubt happen), it’ll come back to bite them.

• Steeltown Hab says:

He’s plenty overrated. The fact he didn’t run away with 7M laughing shows how low of a life IQ he has too.

Put him on an average team and watch his production. Shattenkirk just signed 4.25M, Letang in general is worth at most 1M more than him.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• HabFanSince72 says:

He didn’t “run away with $7M” because he’s negotiating. It doesn’t say anything about his life IQ.

The Pens’ offer is half of what Ryan Suter signed for this time last year. So of course he is holding out for a better deal.

And he’s a heck of a player.

• Steeltown Hab says:

He’ll never get a better situation than in Pittsburgh, he’s not close to a top 5 D man in the league. Letang at 7M+ over 8 years will be exposed as a bad contract fast.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• habs-fan-84 says:

“Letang at 7M+ over 8 years will be exposed as a bad contract fast.”

This is pretty much the point I’m trying to articulate.
            Thanks

• Un Canadien errant says:

To say he’s overrated is tantamount to underrating him. How many defencemen can do the things he can do with the puck? He’s elite just by that virtue.

As far as he being weak defensively, that’s not spot on. He’s so good at taking the puck and clearing the zone, he’s not weak defensively by any means. If you mean that he’s not good at mucking and grinding in the corners and in front of the net, you have a point there, but if that’s your definition of good defenceman, then Bob Murray is a better defenceman than Kris Letang. So we need to keep things in perspective.

• habs-fan-84 says:

What I mean is if he gets a contract at 7M+ per season then I think that team is overrating him. There are aspects of his game that I don’t think warrant 7M+.

Offensively his skills are elite. I’d just like to see more out of him at 7M+…if that’s what he’s looking for.

IMO, his offensive skills are magnified as a result of the points he racks up playing on the team he’s on.

If he’s not racking points up he’s an efficient passer who’s able to control the tempo… I just don’t see much more that warrants 7m+ with the holes in his game.

• Kooch7800 says:

wow…how much is PK going to get as I think he is much better than Letang

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

52. Mick says:

All the DD lovers still think it was a good idea to rush in and sign DD to a four yr contract?
    I think not.

How does our great GM get out of the mess he created?
    Trade DD.

Good luck!

53. Un Canadien errant says:

A while ago there were some posters who batted around the idea of requiring Josh Gorges to “bulk up to 215 lbs” for next season, so as to be tougher in the corners and in front of the net. I argued that’s easier said than done, that for him to reach that weight he’d probably have to resort to ‘funny vitamins’, as John Kruk used to say.

This morning Justin Bourne of the Backhand Shelf blog wrote an essay on how tough it is for a player to recuperate from a hard season, and then to get back into a gym routine. He does point out that usually a player’s strength and weight has gone down from the previous summer, so you’re not picking up where you left off, you have to climb that mountain again. Anyway, as usual from Justin Bourne, really interesting and a good read.

And I’ll say again, Hockey Night in Canada would benefit from adding Mr. Bourne to its studio crew. Trading him in for PJ Stock would be an instant upgrade to the quality of the show, and CBC is crazy if it’s not actively pursuing the guy right now.

———————————————————————–
    “There’s a little bit of embelleshing going on. You know, on our team, we don’t accept it. You kow, it’s something we don’t accept as players, and as teammates.”–Milan Lucic.

• christophor says:

Not sure who was talking about it (Chris?), but they were arguing that Gorges’ problems were symptomatic of structural problems with team defence (i.e. the collapse-on-the-puck strategy). I agree. Gorges isn’t skilled enough to make up for system deficiencies, and Markov isn’t quick enough anymore to do so either. Both are capable defensively with a good structure in place. Subban, on the other hand, was so dang good that he just played team defence by himself, system or no.

Anyway, I hope that a full training camp and lessons learned will improve this. (To be honest, I would endorse Boucher being the new D-coach, even though firing a coach after a successful year is faux pas.)

54. Bigdawg says:

Vinny 1.5M total contract for 2 seasons – do it MB!!!!

Yup!

That is as realistic as 3-4M and 2-3year term like the rest of you are thinking. at 3-4M per teams will line up for Vinny…so why on earth would he sign for 3-4M if he has many suitors. His agent will jack up the price until there is one suitor because that is what an agent is hired to do. Get Real People!

55. mrhabby says:

u watch…the leafs will throw money and term at him and he signs with the leafs…then watch the s— hit the fan.

i hope the guy sign in the states..bit of wimp if you ask me.

56. Habfan17 says:

Wow, if it is true that Letang turned down $7 million a year for 8 years, he is a fool!!! Karlsson won the Norris and he averages $6.5 million. Does he want to be part of a team able to compete for the cup every year or strike it extra rich. He and his family would be financially secure or at least 4 generations if they don’t squander the money. How much do you NEED?

Trade the ungrateful bum!!! To the Islanders. I would not want him on the Habs

Habfan17

57. Blade says:

That Tampa article about Vinny is great. Great hockey player, greater guy. It would be awesome to have him with the Habs.

I hope he comes.

58. Habfan17 says:

I think it is time to move Pleks and either move DD to the wing or trade him too. Signing Vinnie to 1 or 2 years would be okay as long as the salary was not crazy, $4 million a year for two years.

I am not one of the fans who thinks Galchenyuk should play the wing again. One of the biggest weaknesses on the Habs is winning faceoffs, Galchnyuk needs to work on that skill and learn the nuances of faceoffs in the NHL, He and Gallagher should be insulated for another year and be the third line with Prust.

Have DD as the second line left wing with Eller at centre and Bourque on the right side. Have Vinnie centre Patches and Gionta.

Having said that, I have read that Vinnie does not want to play in Canada. Not sure if it is true, I guess we will see.

Habfan17

59. Hobie Hansen says:

Say lecavalier came to Montreal, would the buyout he receives be taxed in Quebec, each year he received a payment?

Because I heard Brad May say that he spoke to someone close to Vinny and he said he would not want to play in Canada and especially in Quebec.

• HabFanSince72 says:

There’s a tax treaty between the US and Canada. I believe money earned in each jurisdiction is taxed by that jurisdiction, but your total earned income determines your tax bracket. I could be wrong though.

60. arcosenate says:

Seems to be a few people out there saying Lecavalier is saying the right things but there’s no way he’s coming to Canada. That kinda sucks but I think it might be true.

• Kooch7800 says:

Who knows if he does or doesn’t. I have a feeling though if I were him I wouldn’t want to play in Canada. He has a cup and tons of money and has been used to being able to do what he wants without people really knowing who he is. I wouldn’t blame him for not wanting to go to a fish bowl

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• arcosenate says:

Yeah, I don’t blame him, and I obviously can’t know what his motivation is now besides being pissed about getting bought out, it would be nice, however, if for once someone wanted to come to Montreal and play for their hometown team.

There’s no better time than now, but I don’t think he’ll ever wear the jersey, and that’s a bit of a shame.

61. HabFanSince72 says:

One bizarre side-discussion of the Vinny debate is the view that anyone would prefer living in Tampa than that hell-hole Montreal.

It seems there’s a few of you who are Habs fans but hate Montreal and Quebec.

In reality Montreal is one of the best places to live in North America. Despite the weather and the politics (and anyway google Florida politics for a laugh, plus Tampa summers are as hellish as our winters).

• florida habs says:

the culture can create issues for players who have to accommodate families. high taxes are a factor. I have lived in both places. google Montreal mayors! you can get through the summers in Florida if you own a pool, I think hockey players can afford pools.

• Chris says:

This is overly simplistic.

You and I would love living in Montreal. It is a fantastic, vibrant city with a great cultural scene, beautiful historical buildings and plenty to do.

But what you’re conveniently omitting are two huge factors for professional athletes:

1) Tax rate in Florida vs. tax rate in Quebec. There is no contest. Florida has long been one of the most desired states to play in for athletes in every professional sport. There is a reason why most of the top golfers and tennis players that live in the U.S. make Florida their home.

We can complain about that it shouldn’t matter because $5 M vs. $3 M is still a heck of a lot than most of us will ever see, but these guys have the freedom to choose and the vast majority choose to base themselves in the tax free havens (this is why Monaco is the home base for pretty much every European tennis player of note).

2) You and I might like Montreal, but we’re not likely to have every aspect of our lives reported in the newspapers. We won’t have our job performance dissected on radio call-in shows, sometimes quite brutally, every day. We won’t see ourselves being mocked by the buffoons that are hired to do just that on shows like l’Antichambre. In short, you and I are granted a private life, which is why we can focus on all that is great about Montreal.

For a professional hockey player, Montreal IS as close to hell as you’re going to get. Very few players like dealing with that kind of media intrusion. The ones that do are often guys you don’t want on your team. The players love the fan support, but they hate the lack of privacy. To argue any other position is pretty much laughable.

Then you take the unique case of a French-Canadian superstar at the tail end of his career being plunked into that cauldron. Add in a dash of shyness (Lecavalier is allegedly a very private individual) and you’ve got a nightmare scenario.

So yes, living in Tampa Bay for a professional hockey player could very well be preferable to living in Montreal. It has nothing to do with the city itself, and little to do with climate (there are more people that like hot, humid summers than cold, windy winters).

It has everything to do with quality of life and money. The money is no contest, while the quality of life depends on how much you think an individual player would resent his loss of a private life. In Lecavalier’s situation, I could easily see him looking at Montreal and saying to hell with that nonsense.

Maybe there is a part of him that relishes the challenge of leading the Canadiens back to glory. I have my doubts about that.

• arcosenate says:

But he’s not going to be living in T Bay, because he has to move on to another team, that’s what frustrates people, if you have to go, why not Montreal for a couple of years?

• Chris says:

Why not Miami? Same state, no tax penalty.

Montreal has the worst tax situation in the entire NHL for the players. And the money angle conveniently avoids point #2 above, which is the much larger issue for some of these guys.

Players love playing in Montreal, but generally as the visitors.

They saw what Saku Koivu went through. Or Patrice Brisebois. Or Mike Keane. Or Guy Carbonneau.

They saw the pressure that was on Pierre Turgeon to be the saviour. Or Denis Savard.

They see how Carey Price has been kicked around by the media.

Habs fans think their fanaticism for the team is a good thing, while some of the players are wary of that level of fan obsession.

How many times do we hear players from other cities say “It’s nice to be able to go have dinner and not be recognized?” after they’ve been traded away from a Canadian hockey market?

If Habs fans are truly frustrated with hometown kids saying “Pass”, perhaps they should learn to leave these guys alone when they’re not at the rink. That would go a long, long way towards making Montreal a more attractive market.

• florida habs says:

I don’t think he would up-root his family, its home for him.

• bel33 says:

@Chris – Well said.

Edit: Honestly… players aren’t hounded here in Toronto as much as they are in Montreal. And they are crazy for their Laffs here.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I wasn’t referring to hockey players’ situation per se but to the anti-Montreal attitude from so many posters.

62. habs001 says:

Please have a reporter verify if it is true that VL has no intention of playing in Canada …if that is true than this topic can be put to rest..

63. HabFanSince72 says:

With Briere, Vinny, Iggy, Horton, Ribeiro, Clowe, Weiss and others available, and cp space being very low this year, does that reduce Michael Ryder’s next contract?

If so, should we re-sign him on the cheap?

64. thebonscott says:

Letang turns down max that pens can offer, as i said, traded by sunday.

GET BIGGER, GET TOUGHER, GET EVEN.

65. savethepuck says:

I thought the last thread was dedicated to Vinny being bought out and Habs fans wanting him.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

66. frankcasting says:

I’m thinkin’ Davis Drewiske (whose re-signing still puzzles me, must be the Emelin rehab stint) is in for a new watch soon; 44 has Vinnie written all over it. But I wouldn’t give that DD a Rolex, maybe a Tissot.

Loving the Habs since 1965

67. Mike D says:

So Bill Beacon writes that the Habs have not had a french-canadian star in many years and Lecavalier would fit that bill.

What Bill Beacon and those who agree with that sentiment fail to see is that Vinny hasn’t been a star, or played at anything approaching star level, for quite a few years….and he’s already 33.

Count me among the 26% who voted No in the poll.

• ProHabs says:

He is no longer a superstar. But if they could sign him for 2 years, I still think he would bring alot more to the team than any other guy that we have in the organization that could be a top 3 line center. Vinny would be more useful than DD, Leblanc, Bournival, Halpern, or any other person to play center.
      He is big and could at least battle D men like Chara for position. I think Galchenuk could use another season on the wing. So we go into the season with Pleks, Eller and Vinny as our 3 centers. I don’t mind the look of that.

• Mike D says:

That’s great ProHabs, but your assesment is all based on the hypothetical. Is Vinny gonna sign a 2 year deal? Doubt it considering he said he wanted a contract that would take him to retirement. Sure Vinny is more useful than DD, Bournival, and the others you mention, but where is DD gonna go? Have we traded him? What if we can’t or can’t get a decent enough return? On Chucky, who knows whether he should play wing for another year? Maybe he should, maybe not. The coaches will determine what’s best for his development. As it stands right now we have 4 C’s who belong on a scoring line, plus a couple C’s who can play the 4th line. Even without Vinny, you might be sacrificing Eller or Chucky progressing the way they should. With him, someone definitely has to bite the bullet (and that’s likely true even if we trade DD).

• ProHabs says:

All good questions. Bergevin gets paid the big bucks to decide all of these things. But is would be enticing to have 2 big bodies like Eller and Lecavalier centering 2 of the top 3 lines than to have small bodies like Pleks and DD centering 2 of the top 3 lines.

• Mike D says:

DD is a whole other problem – we agree on that. But having VL, Eller, and Plecky centering your 3 lines means Chucky is the odd man out for playing C on the type of line he should be playing with. I’m not saying he should be playing C or shouldn’t be playing wing, but the team should have that option, which they wouldn’t have if we bring VL on board. And that scenario doesn’t include DD who we still have on the roster.

That’s 5 C’s to play on 3 scoring lines. What the team really needs are a couple top 6 wingers and at least one top 4 Dman (preferably a defensive one with size and grit).

Why don’t we try to address the real needs instead of trying to play out a scenario who value is based on misplaced sentimentality for a guy who never played for our team.

• frankcasting says:

I agree he’s not a star, but 32 pts in 39 G puts him 4th on the Habs, he’s a solid second or third line C, and a change in scenery may just be what he needs to regain point-per-game which in today’s NHL is borderline-star. Little to lose if signed at a fair price.

Loving the Habs since 1965

• Mike D says:

What’s a fair price for an aging 33 year old Centre with a lot of hard miles on his body who hasn’t played a full season in 3 years on a team who already has a logjam at Centre? A team who doesn’t have a Stamkos or St. Louis to put him on a line with?

You say he’s a 2nd or 3rd line C, which I agree with, but then contradict that by saying he could regain a pt.-per-game pace which I think is beyond delusional. Right now we have a plethora of 2nd and 3rd line C’s, 2 of which are developing to hopefully be more than that. You want to sacrifice that to accommodate VL?

If Vincent Lecavalier from Quebec was Vince Leathorn from Saskatchewan this debate wouldn’t exist and everybody knows it. THAT is the real problem.

• Ed says:

I think a “star”, in this context, means more like a player who will be highly celebrated, and play a leading role on the team.

• Mike D says:

Well then let’s call it what it really is, shall we? He’s a guy who will be celebrated based on his heritage, not on his merits. As for leaders, we already have Gio, Pleky, and Markov among a few others. ALL of whom are renowned for their dedication, professionalism, and work ethic. Why can’t we celebrate them?

68. commandant says:

#73 on the draft board is a fast rising goalie out of the QMJHL

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

69. HNS says:

Not everybody …this guy doesn’t deserve to wear the uniform.

70. Chris says:

Wish a top defenceman had been bought out instead. LI/O is going to be insane this week.