HIO at Thursday practice

Practice

The Canadiens will be on the ice at 11:30.
They head up to Ottawa Thursday at 7 p.m.
We should get an update on Alexei Emelin’s status for  Friday’s game against the Senators. He is skating at practice.

• First out: Mike Blunden, Tomas Plekanec, Peter Budaj and goaltender coach Pierre Groulx

• Therapy Days: Josh Gorges, Andrei Markov, Erik Cole

• Tomas Kaberle isn’t back yet from his blessed event. All Habs fans can agree bonding with a newborn is very important and there’s no rush on his return.

To tide you over until fresh video is posted, here’s Hitler’s reaction to the Leafs’ late-season collapse.

This shtick just never gets old. Advisory: More f-bombs than a Bruce Boudreau rant.

1. twilighthours says:

Re: Hitler parodies.

The original movie (Der Untergang / Downfall, released 2004) is one heck of a flick. If you can handle the 3 hours of German with English sub-titles, I highly recommend.

2. thorandresson says:

Anyone know who started the nickname the “2 and a half men line”? I’d like to think it’s a Booneism and that’s where I first heard it, anyone got any more info on this?

3. GenerationYHabs says:

Ok here is a quetion for all you hockey savy oldtimers on this site.

After browsing Gretzky`s wikipedia page out of sheer boredom during my lunch break, I came across a point that cought my attention ;
    ”August 9, 1988 – Traded by the Edmonton Oilers, along with Mike Krushelnyski and Marty McSorley, to the Los Angeles Kings in exchange for Jimmy Carson, Martin Gelinas, Los Angeles’s 1989, 1991 and 1993 first round draft choices, and $15,000,000. ”

So was trading players for lump sums of money pretty common back then or was that an oddity? Is it still ever done ? If not, is it because of some agreement in the cba?

• twilighthours says:

Hope you get a better response than this one…

It was done on a not-irregular basis. I believe the Habs were involved in a few in my lifetime, maybe even the Damphousse trade. The current CBA disallows it, and probably always will (that’s the point of revenue-sharing/salary cap).

• shiram says:

I think when Michel Bergeron was “traded” for a first round pick, they lumped in some cash too. Definately more of an oddity though.

• LafleurGuy says:

Two shady owners involved neither with as much personal wealth as
      their public image implied. Bruce McNall, and Peter Pocklington who was trying to stave off personal bankruptcy.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Malreg says:

It wasn’t the norm, but it was done.

I think there was also $15M involved in the Eric Lindros trade.

• Cal says:

Peter Pocklington needed cash in the worst way, so the trade was done.
      It could have been done much more often, but it was an oddity considering the stature of Gretzky and the money problems Pocklington had run into. (That trade was a betrayal of all the Edmonton fans for a few pieces of silver. Gretzky staying would have generated more Cups and way more paraphernalia sales.)

• LafleurGuy says:

Thanks for adding salient (Skooch’s suggestion to look up) facts. The Great One was 28 years old, and had finished just 10 of what turned out to be a twenty year career. McNall, Gretzky, and another great one, John Candy became co-owners of the Toronto Argonauts that culminated in a Grey Cup championship in ’93, a team that included another great one, Mike Pinball Clemons, Matt Dunnigan, and the highly-paid Rahim Rocket Ishmail. McNall later was convicted with real estate fraud and spent time in federal prison. Sorry if this was too much of a tangent, but Ah’ loves mah spor’s.
        “May you live in interesting times.”

• Mattyleg says:

Jeez, just looked, and Edmonton only got one pick in the 1st in ’89. What happened to their other one?
      They picked Jason Soules, missing out on Ollie Kolzig, Adam Foote and Travis Green.
      In ’91 they got Tyler Wright and used LA’s pick for Martin Rucinsky who they used for 2 games. We all know how good he was for us. They missed Kovalev and Markus Naslund and a ton of others.
      In ’93 they used their own pick for Jason Arnott, and LA’s for Nick Stajduhar. Hmm. Missed out on Saku and Bertuzzi amongst others.

A successful trade, I don’t think.

I’ve been saaaaved!!
      —Hope Springs Eternal—

• GenerationYHabs says:

Thanks for the responses guys, it cleared things up.

• caladin says:

I believe that Gretzky did not have a normal NHL contract. He had a “personal services” contract which he signed before the WHA was folded into the NHL, and so the NHL CBA did not apply..

I’m pretty sure that he was the only one with a contract like that, and that was by far the most cash ever included in a deal, but cash and or equipment for players goes back as far as the habs.

____________________

Keep Hope Alive

4. HabsFan1111 says:

I think ticket prices should be in line with a teams record. Had I paid top dollar for single game tickets before the season started and had to watch the garbage time stretch we’re in, I would be pissed. I propose the following (otl’s count as losses for the sake of this exercise):

For each game above and below 500, $2 should be added or subtracted respectively from face value of the seat.

This would be a way the Molson’s could show fans they are truly dedicated to winning AND they would cash in when the team does well. Let’s not let the Bell Centre turn into the ACC!

5. Mattyleg says:

Does anyone know what the deal is with loaning players to European teams?
    How is it done, and what are the issues with it?

I’ve been saaaaved!!
    —Hope Springs Eternal—

• shiram says:

Habs should give Huet a contract, and use his expertise.

• Captain aHab says:

Habs need to contact Radulov’s team and offer them Gomez straight up, along with a video of Gainey saying he’s an impact player. They think Gainey walks on water there.

—————-
      I developed the Krusty Krab’s Krabby Patty recipe

• Mattyleg says:

Heh heh heh.
        But I’m talking about loaning players TO a European team.
        Like, take this guy, please.
        Do we still pay his full salary? Does it all go to our cap?
        What’s up with it?

I’ve been saaaaved!!
        —Hope Springs Eternal—

• Captain aHab says:

We loan them Gomez for a couple of years and they loan us Radulov.

—————-
          I developed the Krusty Krab’s Krabby Patty recipe

• TheMock780 says:

Radulov is still under contract with Nashville. They’re the only NHL team he can play for

• Captain aHab says:

Oh will you all stop with facts? What is with the obsession with those?

—————-
            I developed the Krusty Krab’s Krabby Patty recipe

• caladin says:

Actually Radulov will burn his RFA year by playing for Nashville this year it looks like, so I think he’s UFA on July 1.

____________________

Keep Hope Alive

• shiram says:

No cap, but they would still pay the salary.

• Malreg says:

He has to clear waivers first, then the player has to agree.

You continue to pay that player, but the European team he goes to can provide compensation to the NHL team to help offset the contract price.

For example with Huet, let’s say the European team he went to play for agrees to give Chicago $2 million a year. Chicago would then just have to pay Huet the difference.

6. FanCritic says:

Gomez is not the only one that should be gone. there’s a few more that’s holding this team back.

7. kholdstare says:

I’ve been thinking about what happened to Scott Gomez and I think it really just comes down to the fact that he isn’t a franchise player. We all dislike him so because he is getting paid as such, but I was wondering where Scott Gomez would thrive. The only team I see him being effective would be with the Wings. There he wouldnt be expected to be the saviour, and to see what they have done with Bertuzzi is amazing, that guy was done. Brett Hull too, he was getting laughed at international events but the wings made him useful. Even with the Rangers, I dont think he stood a chance.

In Montreal, he never had a chance really.

8. Captain aHab says:

I think the Hitler schticks are getting old myself.

—————-
    I developed the Krusty Krab’s Krabby Patty recipe

9. Malreg says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t you not allowed to buy-out an injured player?

This concussion might make the Gomez situation much more difficult this summer…

10. LafleurGuy says:

And Tyler Myers is your Dark Knight?

“May you live in interesting times.”

11. Captain aHab says:

We haven’t had a 40+ goal scorer since Damphousse almost 20 years ago. Sad. But that might change next year.

—————-
    I developed the Krusty Krab’s Krabby Patty recipe

12. Hobie Hansen says:

Any announcement as to where the Scott Gomez buyout party is going to be this summer?

Are the Habs going to announce it before their 1st pick at the draft?

Are they going to sell tickets and put it on the big screen at the Centre Bell?

• shiram says:

I sure hope the Canadiens organization has more class than that.

• ebourcier says:

Gomer wont be bought out, although he will hold a party that will become known simply as “the event” where he will announce that he will be bringing his talents to Hamilton.

Ebour

• Instant Karma says:

do we know the details of his no trade/movement clause? if he can say no to a trade to the islanders, there is a possibility he cannot be moved down to Hamilton either

• shiram says:

That was a rumour, Gomez never heard about a trade to the Islanders.

• Strummer says:

He dosn’t have a NMC meaning he can be assigned to another team be it Hamilton, Anchorage or somewhere in Europe.
          Habs still pay his full salary

____________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• HardHabits says:

Buying out Gomez would still costs 6.66 million and take away over 11 million from the Habs cap space over the next 4 seasons.

It would only cost 10 million to bury him and no loss to cap space.

Buying him out as opposed to burying him would be stupid. I guess classy and stupid are synonyms now.

My guess is the Habs keep Gomez for the next two seasons and wax poetic about he is such a great competitor and champion.

• HabFarmer says:

I’m pretty sure I heard the four wise men on TSN say that a buy out clause in the new CBA is definitely NOT a slam dunk. The Union is not keen on letting the managers off the hook in this round of negotiations. For what it’s worth.

*******************

Bring on zee Fembaahhts!!

• Captain aHab says:

I hope Gomez likes the AHL then. I mean they can’t be thinking of bringing him back right? right?

—————-
        I developed the Krusty Krab’s Krabby Patty recipe

• darcy1 says:

You never know with the inmate running the asylum.

——————-
          “Talent is a gift from God, but you only succeed with hard work. Yvan was proof of that.”
          – Jean Beliveau

• ZepFan2 says:

Magnans

———————————————————————-
      “You cannot petition the lord with prayer!” – James Douglas Morrison

The Soft Parade

13. Propwash says:

As bad as Gomez is made out to be, that’s not hallelujah worthy.
    *this was a reply to DorvalTony’s inappropriate post

_____________________________
    Don’t let the wultures getcha.

14. Captain aHab says:

Desharnais in 2012: 31 points in 31 games.

—————-
    I developed the Krusty Krab’s Krabby Patty recipe

15. Cal says:

May your head be smacked in, too. Oops, it already must be, posting crap like this.
    -EDIT- Where did that dumb ass post go by dorvalmoron?

Nice to see Blunden skating, really felt bad for this guy. He finally gets told by a league club to get an apartment in the big city and he gets hurt.

Would be kind of fun to watch the year finish out with a 4th line of Blunden/White/Staubitz!

17. Hobie Hansen says:

Anyone who doesn’t believe this team will improve next year is nuts, in my opinion. Maybe I’m guilty of wearing rose color glasses but I don’t think so.

Pacioretty is unbelievable, Desharnais looks like a little Dougie Gilmour right now and Cole has plenty of gas left in the tank. Very solid scoring line that will lead the way next year.

Plekanec will bounce back and be recharged. At the moment I envision him playing with Gionta and Bourque and that line has the potential of being a pretty good 2nd line. I realize Bourque hasn’t impressed the heck out of anyone but he should finish with 20 goals and hopefully has a good training camp and starts fresh from day 1 next year. Who knows, maybe the Habs will acquire another top 6 forward over the summer.

Moen is a great 3rd line player who the Habs will be happy to welcome back next year. there was no way they were trading him at the deadline, thank god! Moen, Eller and maybe a guy like LeBlanc or even Gallagher could be very effective! Maybe Bourque lands there if another forward is acquired.

Then there’s guys like White, Staubiz and Geoffrion to play on the 4th. I think Palushaj is working his but off and could fit in somewhere as well.

And then there’s the defense. Markov and Subban from day one and our PP is EASILY back in the top 10. Gorges blocking shots, Emelin smoking people and hopefully Kaberle providing some secondary scoring on the PP and playing steady enough in his limited even strength role.

Nothing has to be said about Price as he is world class.

If the Habs were to make any moves over the summer they have to sign a big/tough/steady defenseman.

New coach, new system and a fresh start…we’re in the playoffs no problem.

Then the following year we’ll really start seeing some of our sick prospects start to make a splash and be even better!

I agree in general Hobie, however, I think I would rather see Blunden on 4th line over Geoffrion right now. Blunden can skate better and loves to hit. Geoffrion needs to work some more on his game, because right now I can’t figure out what role he fits.

• jmsheehy19 says:

Agreed. Loved the little we saw from Blunden and would love to see him and White on a line together.

Assuming we don’t sign a forward, I’m interested to see whether LL or Bourque ends up slotting in with Pleks and Gio. I’d say it’s Bourque’s to lose, but LL could work his way on there, and a third of Bourque- Eller- Moen would be a load to handle for opposing D.

• Cal says:

This post is almost too positive to be on HIO. You sure you’re at the right place? ;)

• GenerationYHabs says:

+1 Nice refreshing post!

• Mattyleg says:

Yikes, you’re almost as deluded as me! ;)
      Careful, they’ll come after you…
      Great post.

I’ve been saaaaved!!
      —Hope Springs Eternal—

18. shiram says:

I think so too, and I have to say it’s the worst way to see him go.

• Habfan10912 says:

Yes it is. I don’t wish ill health on anyone so for the rest of the day I will refrain on making any hockey related critiques of his play during his tenure with Montreal. I hope he recovers fully.

19. shiram says:

They still need to work on the faceoffs…

20. LafleurGuy says:

Speaking, and thinking from the heart!

“May you live in interesting times.”

21. ZepFan2 says:

Didn’t you guarantee all of us that Cole would be fined $2500 by the league?

I guess you weren’t “rite” after all.

———————————————————————-
    “You cannot petition the lord with prayer!” – James Douglas Morrison

The Soft Parade

22. Mattyleg says:

Why aren’t you in class?

I’ve been saaaaved!!
    —Hope Springs Eternal—

23. Captain aHab says:

Oh yes and he’ll go on a 4 goal tear next year.

Stick a fork in him…after promising he would come back strong and shitting the bed, he’s not getting another chance.

—————-
    I developed the Krusty Krab’s Krabby Patty recipe

24. Cardiac says:

Wishful thinking… What gives you that idea?

– Jerry Maguire

25. Price07 says:

Scott Gomez will no longer be a part of this team next year, that is a guarantee.

First of all, at the trade deadline he was apparently indeed traded but refused to waive his partial no trade clause.

Second, as a business man (Mr. Molson) he cannot accept his highest paid player putting up 4th line numbers, especially as the team was supposed to do well this year and are in LAST place. Fan support has waivered this year, something we haven’t seen in years, there is no way he will just turn a blind eye. One of the changes that will be made will be Gomez.

Not only does he cost money he takes up a considerable amount of cap space and takes the place of younger, cheaper, better players like Lars Eller.

26. canadiens26 says:

I think it’s a cross between insanity and… well maybe just insanity.

27. ZepFan2 says:

So that’s all a player has to do to avoid fines, apologise?

Someone should tell the players about this. :lol:

———————————————————————-