HIO at the practice that wasn’t

EllerNew

Flush with a one-game winning streak, Randy Cunneyworth gave his players a morning off the ice.
There was a team meeting, followed by media availability of a few players … including Lars Eller, of course.
A large crowd at Brossard did get to see a few skaters: Carey Price firing pucks around, plus Brian Gionta, Scott Gomez, Yannick Weber, Ryan White and, tending goal for them to shoot at, good teammate Peter Budaj.

B.C.’s first baby is a Canadiens fan

1. naweed235 says:

hahaha the IRONY! The only player to score in the World Junior Championship Gold medal game is IRANIAN!

2. nova scotia vees says:

I am shocked that the Montreal Gazette is blocking people from reading their articles. I don’t know of any other newspapers that do that. I, of course, don’t live in Quebec so only read the Gazeete for info on the habs. TSN (Toronto Sports Network) gives me little or no info on Montreal. Cheap or what.

3. J.J. of Turku says:

Congrats and greetings from Finland!

It’s not a shame to lose, when the other team is better.

4. HabFanSince72 says:

OK – apologies for being idiotic today, but all this basking in the glow of last night’s victory is a bit dull.

The Liberals are apparently voting on a motion to sever ties with the monarchy. Are you in favor of this (i.e. make Canada a constitutional republic with an elected head of state) or not?

So, to summarize, the choices are

A) Yes – send those inbred philistines packing.

or

B) No, I like them. I even watched the royal wedding on TV and bought the commemorative DVD and matching china. I’m a dweeb.

Please choose one.

You peoplez iz funny. Weren’t you in the same kind of mood after the Sens game just a week or so ago? Good on you though.

6. SmartDog says:

What’s wrong with this flow chart?

HOW TO BUILD A HOCKEY TEAM WITH ASSETS.
    >START: Is the player in the last year of their contract and going to be UFA on July 1?
    > IF YES… is this a player you want to keep?
    > IF NO…. TRADE THEM
    > IF YES… try to sign them now. Did they sign?
    > IF NO…. TRADE THEIR ASSES FOR GOLD!!!
    > IF YES… Good on ya mate!

Yer done!

Here’s what’s wrong… the Habs don’t use it. Their flow chart looks like this:

IF YES > So what?
    IF NO > So what?
    > Do we have the tiniest chance of making the playoffs?
    IF YES > Trade away picks for short term rentals.
    IF NO > Stick your head in the ground, maybe give up a guy who no-one wants. Buy new golf clubs.

How long’s it been since we saw a GM who really focused on building assets? Long freakin’ time.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Signing Josh Gorges to an extension suggests to me that management might be following the plan of action you described in the first half of your post. I expect Andrei and Moen to either be resigned, or traded and baring a long, long winning streak Hal Gill will be traded before the deadline. I might be a little too optimistic, be the new Gorges contract raised my expectations.

“If ownership cared about Habs fans, or Habs wins the Habs would play home games in the last two weeks of December”
      - Sean Bonjovi

• SmartDog says:

I hope your right. One mid-season signing could mean that… or just that they felt like making one mid-season signing.

Sorry… but my expectations for Habs management are really, really low. Forget winning, I can’t even get myself to believe they’ll make a few good decisions in a row.
        ————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• DorvalTony says:

“you’re”, as in the contraction of “you are”

——————————–
          “Okay, everybody take a Valium.”

• SmartDog says:

Jeez. I must be tir’ed.

————————————-
            Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Mr. Biter says:

Can’t agree more with you Smart Dog. But what do we do with Moen? Having a career year (like Halpren last year). Scoring detting assists, winning battles in corners and along the boards. What is he worth next year?

Mr. Biter

• habsnyc says:

I know what is wrong!
      1. you signed the guy to an eleventyone year contract and he will retire after free agency
      2. he is on IR so you cannot trade him
      3. you waived him to make roster space for spacek and now he is playing for someone else
      4. who wants more pesky draft picks, it just makes the team sign more waiver paperwork

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

7. habsnyc says:

It is possible that Nash, Getzlaf, Ryan and Perry are available. I do not think Montreal needs to trade for any of them. But the point is moot because the team is loaded with contracts. It has lost all flexibility for the next few years. A GM who planned for the future might be able to trade for one of these top players.

Once again, this is why the Kaberle deal is a mistake. This is why adding Gomez, Gionta and Cammalleri all at the same time was wrong. Because the flexibility to correct any mistakes is now gone. Occasionally, great players like Pronger, Richards, Carter, Thornton, Heatley get traded in their prime. But they only get traded to teams that have flexibility. The ones that load up on and commit major dollars to secondary talent miss out on the great opportunities.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

8. Aybara says:

WHOA is the old goal song back!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I heard it watching a replay after the Eller penalty shot.

Is this true!!!??

• likehoy says:

it was back last night, no saying how long it’ll be back for

- If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

• Aybara says:

OHHH BABY!!!
        Best goal song ever!

• Mr. Biter says:

The same song from the 60′s and 70′s after a Habs goal? Great. Now to show some respect to the best singer to ever sing O Canada at any Habs games. If we have a big game do as the Flyers do (not to copy them but….) play Roget Doucet singing the National Anthem. Best ever anywhere. The old Forum was allways rockin after Mr Doucet sang and the players and fans pumped.

Mr. Biter

9. JayK-47 says:

Earlier I said Gionta, any D cept Subban and a propect/draft pick for Nash. Change my mind. Cammy and Gionta for Nash (and any fwd prospect they want, it’s not my money). Gomez still has to go to Hamilton. LL promoted to fill Cammy’s spot.

If Gill becomes an asst coach next season the Habs will have tons of room to pick up a UFA D.

(ps, I gave Moen, Kurlstitsyn, Price and Subban raises in this block)

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
    Max Pacioretty ($1.625m) / David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Erik Cole ($4.500m)
    Louis Leblanc ($1.170m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)
    Travis Moen ($2.500m) / Lars Eller ($1.270m) / Andrei Kostitsyn ($4.250m)
    Mathieu Darche ($0.700m) / Petteri Nokelainen ($0.550m) / Mike Blunden ($0.615m)

DEFENSEMEN
    Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Alexei Emelin ($0.984m)
    P.K. Subban ($3.875m) / Hal Gill ($2.250m)
    Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / Tomas Kaberle ($4.250m)
    Raphael Diaz ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS
    Carey Price ($5.750m) / Peter Budaj ($1.150m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
    (these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
    SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,640,033; BONUSES: $300,000
    CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $4,659,967

• Habitall says:

Love to have Nash, but I can’t see Columbus parting with him. He’s the anchor player for the franchise, with probably lots of good will in that community. (Nice city, from what I hear.) Think of what Rusty Staub meant to the Expos, but in this case you have a guy who is in his prime.

On the other hand, what about Jeff Carter?

• vivsterjuve88 says:

that’s a good looking roster and favorable cap-wise, but instead of harping on the “columbus’ll never give nash up” thing (because I like to dream too), I’ll question the salary situation… ie: what are the odds that columbus, with their unprofitable franchise, would be interested in taking on 11million in unproductive pint-sized aging wingers? In exchange for maybe the best, strongest pure-scoring winger in the league

• habsnyc says:

this only works if columbus wants to spent more money to lose more games. but if they want to spend less money to win more games it is not going to fly.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Furk says:

I want what you’re smoking. Why in the world would Columbus who is considering to rebuild, trade a 27 year old Nash who is in his prime and a game changer for two smurfs? The only value Cammy has is because of his playoff performance, but Columbus is no where near the playoffs.

Not sure what Gionta can fetch. This would be a dumb move for Columbus, they take on extra cap and lose one of the best players power forwards in the league for two overpaid undersized wingers.

• habsnyc says:

btw
      Nash would like nothing more than to be traded to a team that is not contending so he won’t have to worry about the playoffs.
      if he accepts a trade – it will be to a contender. he will not leave to join a rebuild.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

10. Rugger says:

Just got free tickets to tonights UMass Lowell Vs. Russian Red Stars game. Anyone know anything about them? Any prospects?

11. habsfanforever7631 says:

Loved the game yestorday!Yaaaaaaaa!
    Was waitin for this game for a long time!
    Here are some of my thoughts, most of them have all ready been talked about, but whatever!

We should sign AK at the end of the year.
    Yeah he’s hot and cold, but we still get over 20 goals out of him every year, isn’t that enough? and when he is hot, he is a beast!
    We should also sign Moen, leadership, toughness, I think he’s like only 29, and the best hands on the team! lol.
    Like always Coles a beast..
    RC, I liked how he used the lines, He was not afraid to use Eller.
    He also used cole wel all the time with DD and Pac, but also with Plec and Cammy.
    Plec is not playin 22 mins a game, I think he played like 16.
    That’s good, maybe he’ll playlike a man in the playoffs!
    The 7 d thing is cool because if someone needs a brake, or is not playing well, they could sit. Also helps Gil, his ice time is down, just only on the pk and sometimes on 5 on 5.
    Most of all, we didn’t sit back in the third piriod!

What do you guys think.

Go Habs Go! I Still Believe!

• remi_10069 says:

I am not a huge fan of AK in general but do agree he’s been playing well lately and is probably worth signing. Cole is a beast, I am actually surprised at how good he looks out there. A few lucky bounces and he could score 40 goals. Does appear that RC is doing a better job managing ice time which is huge. Best thing about last night is the confidence that it will bring to everyone…have some fun, kick the crap out of winnipeg (even if they aren’t great), put some points up ($$$$) and voila, the next thing you know everyone is feeling good. Toss Gionta into the mix and dare I say Gomez (who is a good hockey player, just way overpaid which isn’t his fault) and perhaps even Markov and you’re a trade away from being a contender.

See how easy it is…

pipes

• Habitall says:

I agree with you on AK, but especially on Moen. Keep Travis, because you’re not likely to get anything great for him (he’ll be underrated, plain and simple), and he is showing he’s more than a 4th liner.

With AK there could be a solid return. Imagine AK on a team like Detroit — 35 goals easy. Not sure what Nashville has that we could get in that kind of 1-1 trade — obviously we’d have to put together a package for Weber, and the knife would cut pretty deep.

But I rather like AK. Apart from everything else he brings to the team, did I correctly read somewhere he’s our +/- leader?

• habsfanforever7631 says:

We will probably get something in retearne for AK, but most teams wont give much in retearne for him, he’s viewed as a inconsistint underacheaver.
        But if he’s gon, will surely miss his 20-25 goals he scores every year!
        It’s amazing that he’s on and off through the hole year, but still he gets more than 20 goals.

• Habitall says:

Yeah, remember in that 7 game series with Washington where he was supposedly AWOL? Might be true, but he still managed to get a hat trick in one game. Consistency is ideal, but you can’t easily replace pure talent, and AK brings it in spades.

Bobcat Bob
      Hi Habsfanforever: I like everything you state, except you are too hard on Plexs ( we take him for granted on this site, most teams would kill to have a player like him – great defense, kills penalty as well as anyone in the league, still leads the team in points, ) Do you agree????

• habsfanforever7631 says:

Hi Bobcat
        I like to read all your comments, and most of the time agree with it.
        I was joking about Plec, he is one of my favorite pleyers.
        And it’s good that he has lesser time now because will need him when we make the playoffs…

12. Just A Guy says:

Yikes, both teams aren’t looking terribly interested right now.

13. Man that game left me in a good mood.

I vote the Habs play like that all the time. heh.

14. DrunkenKeith says:

Hope this doesn’t sour the post-win euphoria, but does anyone have any updates on Markov?? I try to put it out of my mind, but I just can’t help wondering….

15. ed lopaz says:

it was no joke Loyalist. I’m sure of it.

he is not a quebecois either. he’s from Trinitan and Tobago.

also not the first racist post from this guy.

a few nights back he posted about P.K. in the same “tone”,

I won’t reply to it – but if the mods were awake they should remove the post

when someone says “feel free to read between the lines”, he is not joking.

• LA Loyalist says:

I was referencing the “teach Cunneyworth to swear in French” post, not the PK incident post.

But of course I agree, the mods should dump it, that’s pretty bad.

• Bill J says:

Ed, I believe Trini is upset that people are being racist towards PK, not himself being racist in that post. I noticed you told others to read again, I ask you to do the same.

If he’s from Trinidad, I think it’s a safe bet that he is not white.

Just my opinion, and of course Trini’s post is HIS opinion, we all have them. We may not necessarily agree with all of them.

That being said, PK is getting blamed for a lot more then he seems to deserve.

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

• habstrinifan says:

I had planned on not responding to your post because I am quite incredulous at your interpretation. The nicest way I can put it is this: I am afraid your comprehension of my post is way off.

As for my previous posts re P.K. I made two posts recently which were critical of P.K.

One where he turtled. I said if I am on any team where a teammate turtled as he did I wouldnt show him up (on the ice) with a disdainful skate-by, which also has become a habs trademark. But I would enlist a teammate or two and take him aside into some corridor and make sure he never turtles like that again. I posted a similar post years ago when Lapierre did the same. I think Ribiero’s name has some infamy among fans for a similar ‘turtle’ or was it just a shameful dive.

My second post criticised P.K on a hockey play at practice which I saw on the same clip that featured the Pleks/P.K fight. I was quite detailed then so I wont go over it again.

I stand by all my posts.

16. Kooch7800 says:

Sorry, if someone already posted:

Why would you bring a sex toy to a hockey game?

17. Dennis says:

My stepson in Russia, who follows the KHL closely, told me before this season began that we’ve got a real beauty in Emelin. I think we just had to wait for him to become adjusted to his new life. Montreal needs toughness and he could become one of our most important guys.

When I’m owner/stickboy, things will be different.

18. LA Loyalist says:

Headline from today’s LA Times sports section re Ducks:

“General manager (Murray) says big changes could take place and that ONLY Teemu Selanne and Saku Koivu are not available in trades.

Thanks again Mr. Gainey, for that. The gift that keeps on giving.

That said, Ducks have some stud players I would love here, don’t know why Ducks are messed up, or who they’d want from us, maybe Cammi and Markov if he were proven healthy for ????

• G-Man says:

Selanne and Koivu have NTCs.

• LA Loyalist says:

If you read the article that’s not the point. Teemu and Saku show up every night and play hard, they are a blast to watch and I’m actually happy that Saku can enjoy the twilight of his career without having to carry the team on his back.

The coaches and fans never complain about those guys, not ever. And Selanne has flipped on his team mates a few times, which is intense because he is a pretty laid back guy.

• Habsrule1 says:

So then didn’t Gainey just do Saku a favour? I think they discussed it and Gainey knew he’d be happier elsewhere.

Go Habs Go!!

• matt jordan says:

I think Gainey was talking to his head of pro scouting at the time, Pierre Gauthier and they thought it would be a good deal at the time to trade for Scott Gomez, fulfilling the need for for a #1 centre.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Saku isn’t bringing a cup to Anaheim either. Difference is no fans – so no one to complain.

(BTW: Saku has fewer than half as many goals as … Travis Moen.)

• shiram says:

They won’t go because they have NTC.

• J_P says:

Yeah i posted that either down below or in another thread. Was polling people who they would want the most out of their big three and what they were prepared to get up.

A lot of people seemed to have had trouble wrapping their head around the idea that Bob Murray himself said for the whole world to hear that he was looking to deal lol

Hes probably just trying to light a fire, doesnt mean the habs shouldnt inquire. He also said he wasnt looking for draft picks.

Id try to package cammy with a good young player and good prospect for Bobby Ryan. Getzlaf would be my first choice, but I find it hard to believe the ducks would actually trade him considering they have no depth at center. I would be prepared to send pleks in a package if it meant getting getzlaf.

Do you not for a minute think that Bob Murray is trying to like a fire under the ass of his franchise players? Come on, he would gladly trade Selanne or Koivu if he got a good return and they agreed to it. Problem is they aren’t the ones who need fires lit.

19. Just A Guy says:

Funny topic of conversation on the team 990..oh right tsn990, did Eller know that there was a goalie change when he was taking his penalty shot? Ha!

• shiram says:

Yeah, he said so in his post game interview.
      He also asked advice from Budaj.

• Just A Guy says:

I thought it was Budaj that had called him over and Eller declined the advice saying he was going to try the spin move. Guess I’ll go check out his post game.

• shiram says:

You could be right, I’m going by what Marc Denis said, he was just next to Budaj.

• Bripro says:

I didn’t hear that. On RDS?
            But Eller did say later that he had already intended on trying the spinorama since he had nothing to lose at this point.

Yup on RDS.
            Just before he went for his penalty shot, he was over by Budaj.

I heard on one interview Eller plainly said he knew goalie was cold. Whether someone had to tell him or not that I guess could be debated. But he knew prior to his Savardian like Viking manouever.

• Just A Guy says:

Yeah it was more of a tongue in cheek comment by the Melnik crew, I wish I could remember the specific game (it was against the Islanders), where someone had asked Eller how the team had changed their strategy when there was a goalie change. He looked blankly at the reporter for a good little while before he admitted he had no idea there was a goalie change.

20. montreal ace says:

I am very impressed by Moen, I think he has become a better hockey player, and is not having a fluke season. I think he keeps dirty shots down whenever he is on the ice, and is respected by the opposition. He reminds me of a please dont do that type of guy, who does not have to repeat it. He never complains, does his best when throwing them, and actually fights for teammates, when they look like they need it. I really think another player like Moen, would allow players to play bigger without the BS.

21. G-Man says:

TSN is livestreaming the Bronze Medal WJ game now.

• montreal ace says:

I hope that in the future, that the juniors get an ex NHL coach for the tournament, that has had success. I think we have been out coached the last two years in the WJC.

• Habsrule1 says:

Don Hay was, what….11-0 before that game? Not sure coaching was the issue.

Go Habs Go!!

• J_P says:

You’re probably right, but a coach’s job is to prepare his team to play, and they did not look prepared to play. He also seemed to have trouble settling them down after they gave up the early goals.

• montreal ace says:

I did not know he was 11/0 before the game, I guess its just unrealistic expectations. I had to laugh at myself about the 11/0 record and my suggestion about a change of coach edit lol watching Canada Finland and they dont play 11 games in the tournament

22. Mattyleg says:

Anyone else notice Burkie complaining about heavyweight thugs like Colton Orr not having a place in the NHL anymore?

Jeezis, what a ding-dong. Just because he signed him for a million a year and nobody will fight with him. He claims he’s upset because there is no player accountability, but what I don’t get is how a heavyweight thug like Orr fighting with another heavyweight thug like… I dunno, name one, makes any kind of accountability.

It’s not like players are thinking “Oh, I’d better not check so-and-so form behind because then the other team’s thug is going to fight my thug!” Puh-lease.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• krob1000 says:

Just trying to generate a buzz and create a market for a player he is waiving…burkie always has a motive

• shiram says:

Burke is covering his ass by saying that.
      It’s a stupid statement, he’s saying it’s better for players to fight it out then get called by the refs…

• avatar_58 says:

That’s the hilarious part. I’ve never seen a self described tough guy like Laraque, Orr, etc go after a star player for doing something stupid.

The ones thugging it up are the thugs themselves. If every tough guy who couldn’t play took a hike there would be less problems.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Well it is your opinion guys against 1000s of current and EX NHL players, coaches and GMS who want the instigator rule taken out.

Including Taylor Hall, Brian Gionta and Jason Spezza that were asked about it on a TSN special.

• G-Man says:

That whole 2 minutes extra is a deterrent? Tell you what. If someone runs Price on purpose and you see immediately he is hurt, do you think about a rule or do you stand up for your teammate?
        A lot of GMs, etc, use that as a crutch. It covers the players on the ice for the team that didn’t react properly.

• Hobie Hansen says:

My opinion really doesn’t matter, as you guys are already aware of ;-).

But there is definitely a lot of truth behind what Burke said about the 4th line tough guy being replaced with guys like Carcillo, Cooke and Avery.

I’d rather see a 30 second fight rather than a guy get run into the boards like what happened with Carcillo the other day.

And I’m pretty sure Carcillo wouldn’t be running wild in a game where someone like Bob Probert wouldn’t penalize his team by challenging him to a fight in a close game.

• shiram says:

I’d rather not see either, really.

• Hobie Hansen says:

not sure if you’ve every played a real physical game of hockey? But guys lose their temper on a regular basis.

They will either fight or if they are not allowed they will find other ways to get even.

Best thing is to probably just let them fight.

• shiram says:

Yes and that’s no excuse in any professional environment.
            Why do players of rugby and football can keep it cool, but hockey players do not?
            There is this mentality in hockey that hurting other people is ok, and I don’t like it, and would like to see it go.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I can’t fault you for feeling that way. And you’d think that if there wasn’t issues with not being allowed to fight in the NFL that it could be done in the NHL.

However, I heard from countless current and ex players that the two don’t compare.

That you have a longer time to cool down in the NFL and aren’t confined to a small space….

Hockey and Lacrosse are the two most violent sports in the world, fighting is inevitable.

• shiram says:

I know I won’t change your opinion, and that’s fine, you won’t change mine either.
            And there are players out there that won’t fight, why can they keep it cool, and others can’t?
            For sure it is a complex issue, and it’s part of the history of the league, but stuff changes, so I can hope.

23. JF says:

I wonder what Randy Cunneyworth said to the players between the second and third periods. The last five minutes of the second period, you could see the hesitation creeping into the play, the lack of confidence, the mistakes. It looked as though we were headed for the usual tense, difficult third period with probably the usual result – a one-goal loss. Instead, we saw an aggressive forecheck and an absolute explosion of scoring. The team definitely played differently, so good for Cunneyworth. Despite the language outcry and his difficult start, he’s doing some good things. It’ll probably be too late for the playoffs, but he just might get the team winning on a regular basis, as well as playing entertaining hockey.

• J_P says:

Ive been waiting for a third period like that all season. I think one of the biggest positives from the game was the fact that they kept their foot on the accelerator in the third even though they were leading. Thats what they have to do night in and night out.

24. montreal ace says:

The fact that Cunneys start as a coach, was not with much success in the win column, seems to have brought the debate about the coaching change, down to just coaching. I know that I was disappointed at his start, and began to think he was just not a very good coach. I do think if the team plays as it did last night, language issues will be removed, just from the feelings of an entertaining win.

25. Bripro says:

For all the Roy supporters as future Habs’ coach, here’s an interesting viewpoint on his pleasant personality.
    It’s in french, but basically he rants about a missed call, and wants the local video judge fired.
    Warning – Rated PG8 – foul language.

• Habsrule1 says:

That seals it. Can’t have the coach ranting about calls.

I guess you didn’t like the ref in the CFL being fired after screwing up a call really bad.

I hope the Habs find a better reason not to hire him.

Go Habs Go!!

• Bripro says:

I just feel that given the available bilingual coaches out there, his ego and volatile personality will be another Mario Tremblay.
        Don’t need that, thanks.

• Habsrule1 says:

CFL…bad call against the Als. He was fired the next day.

I’m not hell bent on roy for coach, but I think he should get some consideration given how well his team has done, his style of offense first, and his attachment to the Habs.
          Go Habs Go!!

• LA Loyalist says:

Could Roy be worse than Tremblay or Martin? It’s not possible to be worse. And Roy is very, very smart. Don’t misunderestimate him.

What’s the famous quote? Something like I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees.

I would rather play fire wagon hockey and lose 7-6 than die of slow strangulation via JM.

• shiram says:

Jm is gone, let it go! You are free!

Bobcat Bob
            L.A. – Oh Yes – Roy could be way worse than the others you mentioned — Patrick Roy -was a great goaltender but as a person he leaves a great deal to be desired — No thank you – worse thing Canadiens could do

• Hobie Hansen says:

Roy worse than Martin????
            Does Roy have any chance of being better than Martin is the question?
            Roy would have to get this team to the 3rd round or better to be considered better than Martin.

• Bripro says:

I’ll give you that one….no one could be worse than Tremblay.
            It’s somewhat ironic that he and Roy are discussed in the same breath.
            But if you look at all his ego blunders over the years (and they obviously continue), I would rather the team give RC a real opportunity at a full year of turning this team around.
            It would help if someone other than PG was overviewing the show.

• Bripro says:

CFL or NBA?

• shiram says:

I’m sure we can teach Randy the same french curse words, would that help?

• Marcusman says:

Isn’t he one of the only Habs in history to literally quit his job with the team?

I truly believe he’d be a huge mistake and would make a mockery of our team once again. Thanks for ’86 and ’93 but no thanks.

• LA Loyalist says:

Roy was unduly provoked.

I would have reacted exactly the same way (and my wife would have killed me).

It was utter lack of imagination on Habs management’s part that Correy was sitting behind the bench. That should never have been allowed.

It’s a horrible twist of history that Correy was directly involved in both the Chelios and Roy debacles, like in some Greek tragedy. I think the Greek word is hubris. We’d be looking for our 27th or 28th cup if Ronald Correy had been someone else. I’m not blaming him, per se, it’s just being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

• Habsrule1 says:

Quit his job is a tad dramatic. He is very emotional and basically felt like he had been spit at in the face, being left in nets for 9 goals. It was truly a dispicable act by Tremblay.
        Roy said what he said and regretted it. Can we get over a mistake from 1995? Please?

Again….just give him an interview.

Go Habs Go!!

• avatar_58 says:

A real GM/Coach would have told him to calm down and do his damn job. Roy would have complained, but ultimately would have calmed down and fulfilled his contract.

Instead everyone overreacted and the worst trade in franchise history took place. Roy couldn’t trade himself, so you tell me who’s at fault

26. --Habs-- says:

Why didn’t the Habs pick up Orr for pennies on the dollar. Orr, White and Blunden on a 4th line could create havoc for the opposition and we could play 3 lines with the 4th out for damage control and protect our small players

• G-Man says:

1mil for Orr or even only a 500K hit isn’t worth it for someone who can’t play.

Bobcat Bob
      Why?? Because Orr can’t play anything that even closely resembles Hockey –That’s why. Only tough guys that can play (eg.Chris Neil ) need apply

• LA Loyalist says:

I wish we still had Begin or Metropolitan — a guy like that who can crash and bang, chip in a few goals, frustrate the opposition. As much as I want a tougher team, it has to be systemic, not just a fighter who can’t play (ideally, Chris Nilan or John Ferguson are the benchmark).

Stop signing soft midgets, for a start.

• The Jackal says:

That would be a waste, picking up a guy who just fights? We need someone who brings a physical presence in the form of hard play and heavy hits, not just a fighter!

27. ed lopaz says:

Shiram and G-man,

How could you even reply to a post like this?

• shiram says:

maybe I’m missing something, but I don’t see whats wrong with what I said.

• G-Man says:

Well, first I set my hands over the keyboard. Then, I begin pressing down on various keys until something happens, like that transference of letters upon my screen. Afterwards, I use my mouse to click on “SUBMIT”.
      Seriously, I believe trini has misconstrued some posts here. That’s why I responded.

• LA Loyalist says:

Ed, it was funny.

Because Quebecois cursing is all just Catholic church terms used as curses, and not really bad words per se.

And French structures your thinking a bit differently. For example, in French you don’t say something is good directly. You say something is “not” crap – if you have a great 2000 Bordeaux at dinner you might nod and say “pas mauvais” as a high compliment, it’s understated, though you would never frame it that way, in English.

Or think of Italian movies, how a character will rant for like 3 minutes and the sub-title is like, 3 words. It’s different.

Quebecois swearing is unique and funny, so his post was funny.

28. SPATS says:

3 STOOGES LINE REUNITED
    LARRY, MOE & KURLY

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

29. habstrinifan says:

HIO can go right ahead and DELETE this post! And of course all those who number one or two among ‘their best friends’ can howl their indignant denials.
    What’s the new in-word these days… trending? Reading all the posts I am beginning to pick up on a ‘trending’ phenomenon. Even amid the rightful celebration of Lars Eller’s historic performance, a few posters could not help but make sure that they reference this name with ignominy.

Many in HIO has found the BLACK SHEEP in their family. P.K Subban. All of what 21 plus and he seems now to be NOT ONLY what ails the HABS most, but the one now most unbefitting to be a HAB and who needs be taught proper behaviour.

Yes! Feel free to read between the lines.

I endeavoured to make my observations as circumspect as possible in order to keep within the guidelines of that noted amateur anthropologist/sociologist Darren Pang and do things the white… my apologies…. the right way.

• shiram says:

PK’s going through a rough spot for sure, but it’s not like he is playing bad considering he is the Habs #1 D right now.
      I think there is sometimes an issue with his attitude, but that he can definately work on.
      I would not trade him, that’s for sure.

• Kooch7800 says:

PK is going through the sophmore jinx but to me a lot of it is due to injuries and poor planning by PG. He is one of our most experienced D in his second full season…..enough said.
        PK will be a great player in this league but in my opinion but will continue to have some growing pains for awhile

• G-Man says:

PK’s unfettered enthusiasm becomes grating while he’s struggling this season. All young players have their own troubles when trying to become professionals. The complaints come from his “enhancement” of penalties against him. Subban will be better.

• Pucker Up says:

habstrinfan, please hold still while I raise my tail over you and your post.

• derfab says:

Subban is a fantastic hockey player and attracts extra attention (some of it negative) because he yaps constantly and because, as you correctly point out, he is black. Pressure on a young player is inevitable, as are growing pains, and additional pressure is being put on him because of interest in his star quality around the league amidst upcoming negotiations for a new contract. As a form of prejudice, racism or xenophopia of some sort is always a factor when visible minorities are an integral part of an otherwise homogeneous group. It’s got to be a major challenge for him, but he seems to be well liked by his team mates. If he is able to deal well with this challenge, he could be one of the all-time greats. I love the guy already.

• twilighthours says:

I don’t really know what this post is about… maybe PK Subban? And veiled racism? I don’t get it. But I can tell you that I am currently staring at a PK Subban poster, which hangs on my office wall. The PK that played last year was the best Habs’ D-man in a very long time, probably since Chelios. The PK Subban that is playing this year is an unseasoned young player who is coughing the puck up, diving, and turtling. He hasn’t been good. He’s been bad and embarrassing.

He will be an excellent defenseman, and I won’t be taking my poster down.

None of this has anything to do with skin color.

—————————————————————–

• SmartDog says:

Woah. Subban is BLACK????!!!!

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• LA Loyalist says:

We need a coach for the D who would also mentor PK, Weber, Diaz, etc. and down the road, Tinordi, Read “Robinson for the Defence” or “The Game”.

Larry Robinson was brought along very carefully as he grew into his body and matured and learned his craft. Habs put a huge effort into him and were of course rewarded when he became the Big Bird we love and honor.

PK has outgrown Gill (not literally) and shame on us if we don’t invest in PK the attention and grooming he needs to maximize his abilities and help him mature.

30. The Cat says:

Gill should’ve thrown a few punches. Would make lessening his icetime/taking him out of the lineup harder than it is becoming.

31. Bripro says:

Why am I reading trade rumours offering Pleks?
    Funny how anyone can be thrown under the bus when they’re going through a rough patch.
    He always shows up, never complains, plays monster minutes (most of the time) and is a PP killer with his defensive skills.
    I wouldn’t trade him.

• shiram says:

The grass, it’s greener on the other side.
      At least those rumours send a center of similar skills back.

• likehoy says:

I’d only trade him if we were getting datsyuk or kesler in return

- If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

• J_P says:

I love pleks, but ill include him in a package for Ryan Getzlaf and not think twice about it lol

• habsnyc says:

Pleks is now at his peak. Some fans believe the team will not contend for the next two or three seasons. They think that trading him now to get assets that will peak in three years gives the team a better chance to win in 2015.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• LA Loyalist says:

Well you’ve hit the nail on the head, habsnyc. Whoever will be managing this team needs to get a white board and map out the “peaking” of our assets and work off of that in terms of adding and subtracting players.

PK and Price will peak in 3-5 years. Everyone else should be backed out of that, and if done properly, we will have a core at their peak. A few wily vets for leadership and experience, and a few exciting kids. Look at the 86-89 team and how balanced it was.

Gainey did not do that when he blew up the Carbo team, he went for a quick fix to make the playoffs safely each year.

Does PG have the stones and skill to do this? The next 7 or 8 weeks will tell the tale. I am furious with him for throwing RC under the bus, but some of his moves have been very good – Cole, Kaberle have worked out well.

Anyway, even more than a #1 center, we need a clear vision of this team 3-5 years out, and then go out and get the horses we need, and send the ones we don’t on their way.

32. shiram says:

Just want to post again about Gill’s “fight” last night.
    Really a classy move on the part of Gill, he knew he could use his size to avoid the damage from Thornburn and by fighting him, he removed Thornburn from the game, where he could have gooned up another Habs player.
    It’s a small thing but it was a good thing.

33. Bripro says:

If you look at the replay, I don’t think he realized there was a blitz happening when he failed to corral the puck, and by the time he noticed, they were a line’s length ahead of him.
    I agree, his overall ice time didn’t seem that high.

I haven’t found the interview yet, but apparantly someone from Yahoo sports interviewed Rick Nash and essentially asked if he would waive NTC in order to help Columbus rebuild (havent they been rebuilding since inception?) and he answered he loved it there but wouldn’t want to stand in the way of helping Columbus.

Soooo how much would you give up for Nash?

35. Mattyleg says:

Ahhh… enjoying the post-win afterglow for one of the (too!) few times this season.
    Mmmm…

Only criticism I ever had about Eller was, as DL points out below, his decision-making time. Last season he was often uncertain what to do next, and was stripped of the puck all the time. Frustrating to watch, probably even more frustrating to live. Now, he’s deciding quicker, and the puck is getting taken away from him less. It’s still happening, but he’s getting there.

By the end of the season, we should be seeing some pretty good stuff from him on a more regular basis.

Luckily RC doesn’t think like Withnail & I’s Uncle Monty, who said
    “It is the most shattering experience of a young man’s life when he awakens and quite reasonably says to himself: [He puts his hand on his heart] “I will never play The Dane.” When that moment comes, one’s ambition ceases.”

—Hope Springs Eternal—

36. Newf_Habster says:

it would be so cool that Eller scores four goals against Halak this Tuesday night when the Habs play host against the Blues. :)

37. HabFanSince72 says:

My fear is that the Ducks will make a trade with Toronto, and get hosed again.

I fear the same thing, however, heard an interesting point here in T.O. on radio, Burke can’t try trade either Lupul or Gardener back to Anaheim and they are probably two of the more valuable items in his chest to trade right now. If he does land Getzlaf it will take at a minimum Kessel and something.

But yah, Burke has a history already of fleecing Anaheim.

• J_P says:

No two ways about it that the ducks will get hosed in any deal they make involving their big three. All of them are underperforming, and the organization is desperate. No good trade gets made out of desperation.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

The Ducks GM thinks Bruce Boudreau is the right man for the job, so if the Ducks make a trade I don’t expect it to favour the Ducks.

- Sean Bonjovi

38. DearyLeary says:

Eller’s got size, strength, speed, and skill. He’s still young, and he’s obviously acclimatizing himself to the NHL’s pace.

From my observations he’s been working on the release for his shot. He’s always had a fairly accurate and hard shot, but it’s always taken him too long to get it off and defenders always ended up deflecting it out of the rink or wide. The last few games he’s been getting more shots on net.

His decisions have also gotten quicker. It’s a result of having played more than a season in the NHL, quicker and better decisions; it’s obvious he’s learned a lot in the last year (remember above all this is essentially one year of development for the player, who also only had one season in the AHL, for a 13th overall pick that’s pretty impressive).

I don’t expect the moon of Lars. I think it’s entirely possible that he lands anywhere in the 15-25 goal range, with probably 60ish points. I think he’s a bigger Tomas Plekanec, and that size provides more versatility, in that he’s able to sustain a forecheck a lot better than Plekanec can.

He’s not a #1 center, I just can’t see that. But he’s a valuable 2nd line center who will put up points for a long time to come. I don’t expect him to be a goal scoring dynamo, 20 goals is probably his ceiling in my estimation, but that’s enough production when coupled with the offence that he can produce on both the cycle and the rush. Add to the fact that he’s drawn some tough assignments and is still a + player on what has been a pretty poor team this year, I’d say he’s got a whole lot of upside with room to grow still.

• Bripro says:

Someone needs to buy the poor kid a new helmet.
      That red mark across his forehead will become permanent.

Bobcat Bob
      That is a very astute analysis of Lars — I think you are dead on — and that’s very good news for the Habs

• Phil C says:

Nice analysis, I agree that his shot seems to be getting a lot better. The release on his first goal was the best I’ve seen from him. He could score 20 this year playing on the third line, especially if they leave him with AK. He is only 22 years old, so he has another 2-3 years before he reaches his prime. With a couple of more years of improvement, more minutes, and two bona fide top-six wingers, I think his upside potential is easily 30-40 goals.

39. Bripro says:

Here’s a revelation.
    The Habs are still undefeated in 2012!

40. mdp2011 says:

Did anyone hear the Brian Burke press conference today? What a load of bullsh*t. He is basically crying because as he says “a good guy like Colton Orr doesn’t have a place in this game anymore” and says that the rats are taking over the game. Wonders were the game is going when players like Orr don’t have a place in the game anymore.

Here is the link to the audio, worth a listen.

• avatar_58 says:

Probably somewhere better? It’s guys like Orr that cause headshots and concussions with their reckless and outdated play. The idea is to score goals and make plays, not beat the living snot out of each other.

Cry some more Burke.

• theox_8 says:

agreed. I am by no means a “tree hugging hippie” type person, but personally wouldnt care less or miss fighting if it were banned. I get way more excited when I see a good clean hit like emelins of late, that gets me more motivated and “pumped” than a fight like, lets say hal gills last night.

Too bad a reporter didn’t ask him why he doesn’t keep Orr on his team then.

• mdp2011 says:

actually he did mention that he was sent to the minors because the Leafs are following the rest of the league and going with guys who can actually play hockey since the enforce role is going the way of the doddo bird. He just doesn’t like it and doesn’t know where “the league is going” with the rats taking over.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Burke needs to deflect attention from the fact that he is again outside the playoffs looking in.

Even Maple Leaf supporting Kool-Aid drinkers are going to start asking questions at some point.

He will fire Wilson next just as we witnessed PG doing so to JM. The media in Toronto are still afraid of Burke, but are more than happy to shoot arrows at Wilson.

• BeachHabFan says:

He doesn’t have a place in Toronto because Burke still has rosehill, phaneuf, schenn, armstrong, and komisarek to knock people out or drop the gloves. Montreal should pick up Orr (even if just for the b’s and flyers games) – he skates well, goes to the front of the net, and banks in a few goals now and then; we still lose a bunch of games where we get outmuscled, and since Blunden ain’t that intimidating and Moen has become a valuable playmaker, we need a guy like Orr once in a while

• Bripro says:

I can’t agree with you on this one.
        He’s even lower down the scale than Komisarek and Schenn.
        They can keep him.

Except he is damaged goods, Rosehill does not provide the energy which Orr provided them, Armstrong and Komi can’t fight heavyweights. Orr has been punched a few too many times to remain effective IMHO, that is why Burke is letting him go. Of course he won’t say that publicly, but rather tries to turn it around and make other teams look bad for not picking up Orr. Burke’s ego will not allow him to look like he gave Orr to much term on his contract.

• mdp2011 says:

he banks in a few goals? He has 11 career goals in almost 9 seasons, not to mention the concussion factor, drinking and drug problem, and the fact he is making 1million this year and next, ahh no thanks.

Bobcat Bob
        Please no — No talentless Goons need apply to Habs –only those who are tough AND can play the game; e.g. Chris Neil

• Kooch7800 says:

I am not a Burke fan by any stretch and I actually despise him quite a bit but I somewhat agree with some of what he is saying. The rats he is talking about are players like Lucic, Avery, Carcillo, Lappierre, Downie, cooke etc guys who run there mouth off and cheap shot everyone and because of the corruption in the league and inconsistent reffing are aloud to take liberties on players with no recourse.
      The NHL has always been corrupt as it is an old boys club but when the players were allowed to somewhat police themselves at least there was some respect in the game.
      There is a serious lack of respect in the current NHL game. Cole said it best in the summer when talking about his broken neck and Max P. You can’t trust any player on the ice. That is truely sad that you dont’ think twice about ending someone’s career.
      So the league may get out the pugilists but it will never stop the amount of injuries or head shots in my opinion until the league is consistent with their officiating and suspensions and gets players like Carcillo out of the game.

What is worse watching a scrap or watching someone like Brad Marchand punch a sedin in the face over and over with no penalty? Take out the instigator rule and Marchand might be rethinking his role

The all-star votes are in and it ain’t pretty. It looks like a good idea at the time has now backfired on the league as the host team stuffs the ballot box.

Every team must be represented at the game, even the bottom-feeders. With that in mind, I wonder who will be going to Ottawa from the Habs. Price would seem a logical choice to play alongside Thomas and Fleury. Failing that, the only other Hab who would qualify would probably be Erik Cole. No other player has really excelled throughout the first 40 games.

42. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Sorry if this has been addressed, but does LL being sent down point to a Gionta return on Saturday?

43. Dennis says:

If they start thinking about moving defencemen, I just hope it’s not Emelin. It’s not like we have an over-abundance of heavy hitters.

When I’m owner/stickboy, things will be different.

Canada and Finland Bronze medal game 3pm.

Go Canada Go

I would really like to see Beaulieu have a strong game, he has taken a lot of shots from people because of that 6th Russian goal. Kid is playing with half his head swollen and yellow from that puck in the face.

I don’t think Don Hay has used him as much as I would like, but who am I to question that. Anyhow, would like to see strong game from all the players but even moreso from our potential future habs.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

To be honest, I would’ve benched him after that goal too. That Murray kid made a lot of mistakes, but he didn’t quit on a play. Can’t have that, no matter how banged up the kid is, he quit. Plain and simple. Hopefully that’s a lesson he’ll remember for the rest of his career.

But yes, a great game today would be good to see!

No doubt he screwed up, and I think he will learn his lesson. But I didnt like how little he played leading up to that game. And the powerplay I thought should have focused more on his shot, as I think it is better than other dmen on the team.

• J_P says:

Good point about beaulieu. I think I would have benched that Murray kid though…1 or two goals banking in off one player, it happens, but 4?! You’d almost think he was trying to score on his own net (obviously he wasnt). I take serious issues with defensemen who try to block shots from the point with their stick blade…I mean, if you get your stick right in front of the shot, it will probably force the shot to go way high, but when the shot comes from the point, and your 5 feet in front of the net, chances are you are going to deflect it right in.

Anyways, Im sure the kid felt absolutely horrible (i felt horrible for him), and frankly I think the pressure we put on these kids for gold is completely ridiculous.

45. Hobie Hansen says:

I like my crow medium rare!

I’ve been on here clamoring that Montreal will go nowhere because they are not big and talented enough down the middle.

Enter Lars Eller!

If this kid can develop into a 25G and 30A to35A centerman we could be just fine with him and Plekanec as our two top centerman.

In saying that, I’d still like another big winger or two added to the mix and also to see the 4th line bulked up considerably!

• Ian Cobb says:

Desharness is our best center man right now. Little BIG man! I just love his tenacity!

DD has some real exceptional puck sense/awareness that only real special players have. Unfortunately he does not have size or tremendous speed. While I really like DD he is a luxury to have when surrounded by bigger forwards. Until our team gets a few more power forwards it is tough, as in order to maximize his talents he is better suited to having both MaxPac and Cole on his line. This hurts our other lines. Bit of a conundrum.

• J_P says:

I like desharnais, but I think his size limits his ceiling. He is quite tenacious, and has unbelieveable hockey sense, but he will always need big wingers to be effective IMO.

Lars is three years younger, and significantly bigger. If I was a betting man, I would say that Lars will be the better center long-term.

• VancouverHab says:

Then, Ian, we are in very serious trouble. If our best centre is DD, teams will laugh in their dressing room when they play us. (DD gets all credit for what he has, but he can’t be the best centre on any seriously contending team…)

Bobcat Bob
      Good for you Hobie!!! Go Habs Go hard for the remainder of the season. Cheers

46. J_P says:

Little HIO Poll:

With the Ducks having declared that they are engaging in a fire sale, and with Bob Murray saying that only Teemu Selanne and Saku Koivu are untouchable (no movement clauses), who out of anaheims big three (Perry, Ryan, Getzlaf) would you target, and what would you be willing to give up? Keep in mind that Murray said he is looking to make hockey trades (core players for core players) and isn’t looking for picks.

Ryan Getzlaf would definitely be my primary Target. I would offer up Plekanec, any one of our young defensemen not named PK Subban, and a first round pick or top prospect (gallgher, Leblanc, Bournival etc…). If they wanted Pleks and Cammy for Getzlaf, I would probably even do that swap although I doubt anaheim wants to add another $5M in salary.

• Mats Naslund says:

I don’t think Montreal is a fit at all.

Last year maybe – but Anaheim is in the position where they want to hit a homerun by trading expensive players for young players and prospects. They aren’t going to take on older players (which we need to get rid of). Unless we’re trading Carey Price its not happening.

• J_P says:

“Murray says he has two untouchables– Teemu Selanne and Saku Koivu– but anyone else is in play. Says he’s not rebuilding and seeking draft picks. if he trades a core player, it would be for another core-type player.” (via puckdaddy)

:D christmas came late this year

• Mats Naslund says:

Not suggesting they aren’t available.. Just saying the fact that they are available doesn’t automatically qualify us to propose a deal that Anaheim would accept.

Honestly – I can’t think of one package that MTL could put together that Murray would accept – outside of one that includes Price.

Put yourself in their shoes – would you trade any of Ryan, Getzlaf or Perry for anything on our team? I wouldn’t.

• J_P says:

I wouldnt, but Im not the one publically telling the media that Im looking to sell off all my players and that no one is untouchable.

If hes desperately looking to sell, I certainly think we have the pieces to make deals. I can definitely see him taking on a package including cammy with some young players.

Yah, I think Mr. Murray is doing some posturing here to get a fire lit under Getzlaf/Perry and Ryan. I can see him trading Ryan, but can’t believe he would trade Getzlaf or Perry unless incredible package coming back.

• smiler2729 says:

Corey Perry for whoever they want except Price.

___________________________________
      Jack Edwards sucks chowdah chunks

• Getzlaf as he is a “big center” but I would take any of the three. If the center position wasn’t so coveted I would lean towards Bobby Ryan.

Forbidden

You don’t have permission to access /wp-content/cache/supercache/www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/a-win-that-slipped-away/index.html on this server.

• J_P says:

I like Bobby Ryan also, and he would be the cheapest to obtain I would imagine. We obviously cant afford to offer up a center for him, so I would offer up Cammy and Leblanc for him.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Obviously I would love any of those three but do we have anything to give? If I was another team, and thinking long term rather than cup run, the only Hab players I would be interested in are Price, Subban, MaxPac and maybe Eller and Leblanc.

I don’t see how Anaheim gives up Getzlaf unless Subban is going the other way.

Think of what LA gave up to get Mike Richards, who is not as good as Getzlaf.

• J_P says:

LA traded Brayden Schenn, Wayne Simmonds and a second round pick. I wouldnt exactly call that giving up a lot.

That would be comparable to giving up Louis Leblanc (or brendan gallagher), Max Paccioretty (or lars eller), and a second rounder.

Change Paccioretty to Cammalleri, and the second rounder to a first rounder, and that’s a pretty good offer right there.

• G-Man says:

Since this is unbridled speculation, to pry Getzlaf from the Ducks, I would try Pleks + Gallagher. At 27 years old this May, he should have a lot left in the tank. His contract runs until 2013.

• price365 says:

why would any team give up there best three players – a good manager would keep getslaf, ryan and perry and see what he can get in return for the other 9 forwards and any of the defence he’s not happy with – never get rid of your best three forwards – unless you see forwards that’s better – not too many better than those three- I would like to see them with the Habs along with AK, Eller and Cole – here would be two lines that could go head to head with any team – only a dream cammy, Pleks, Gionta 3rd line, Moen, DD, Nokelainen 4th line – give us our 25th cup.

• J_P says:

Why would the habs trade Patrick Roy?
        Why would the flyers trade Richards and Carter?
        Why would the bruins trade Thornton?

Like someone said above, he’s probably just trying to light a fire under his team, but we have seen top players traded many times in the NHL.

47. dsturge10 says:

My first prediction after JM’s dismissal was that Eller would pot 20 goals this year. JM utilized Lars almost entirely defensively. Gave him little room to be creative. Have not seen a Hab who can stick handle like him since Kovy. Lars emergence as an offensive threat could be this year’s bright spot. Could also mean that Gomez moves to a wing.

48. Bobcat Bob says:

Bobcat Bob
    I agree wholeheartedly WindsorHab — even when he doesn’t score he is a dominant force — in less then a year’s more experience – we have the big centre that we have always been searching for.

49. cuzzie says:

Barch being suspended for ‘slip on banana peel’ line:

Mr. Bad Example!

50. WindsorHab-10 says:

Lars Eller. Loved the trade when it happened & always liked his style of play. At only 22yrs and under the right coach, the sky is the limit.

None of us can pass judgment until we really know what Barch said.

Regardless, it sure is taking a long time to set things straight.

52. J_P says:

Im pretty sure Colin Campbell is still Shanahans boss in some way shape or form. They just changed the face, not the policies. Shanny’s suspension pattern this year reeks of bias.

53. J_P says:

No one’s going to ask questions because the NHL will just balk at the suggestion…just like they did last year in the campbell email scandal. How campbell wasnt immediately relieved after the email scandal surfaced is beyond me to even remotely comprehend.

54. avatar_58 says:

It would entertain me that’s for sure

55. Bripro says:

Torterella? Really?
    The only reason he has a ring is because of the product Tampa had on the ice at the time. Look at his record beyond 2003(?).
    I don’t think he’s led a team beyond the first round prior or since (maybe once).
    And his mouth gets him into as much trouble as Roy’s would.
    Do you think that he would bring a positive environment to the team?
    I don’t. No thanks!

56. Bobcat Bob says:

Bobcat Bob
    Yes Torts is up and down like a yoyo and it sometimes helps, but I don’t agree to Roy , as he is a Me first type of person, not a team man at all.

57. Bripro says:

There’s a big difference in the quality of Babcock’s and Bowman’s coaching vs. Torterella.
    You just mentioned two perfect examples of consistency.
    A quality Torterella seriously lacks.

You conveniently left out the part where Torterella spent years coaching in the AHL before becoming coach of the Lightning, or does that part of the resume not matter. :)

Good memory there HH, (note to self, print all messages directed at the Tank). CHeers.

60. Hobie Hansen says:

Is Serious gone for good?

I saw him post that he was never coming back after an article was written by one of the Gazette staff about the Fleury/James situation.

61. shiram says:

It seems to be the case, he has a blog, but AFAIk it has not been updated.

here : http://habsandhockey.blogspot.com/
    but yea if you wanna reach him, search twitter for seriousfan09

62. Hobie Hansen says:

We had some crazy debates, miss the guy!

63. shiram says:

Andrew Berkshire seems to be gone as well, I guess the Habs did not regress to the mean?

The Habs have regressed to the mean. They’ve been playing over their heads for two seasons on the backs of unsustainable goal tending. They are where they should be given their talent level and team chemistry.

65. GrimJim says:

@shiram
    Berkshire is now one of the editors of the blog Habs Eyes On The Prize (EOTP). I’ve seen him post a bit of here since that happened but he does seem MIA. He also posted something about visiting his family in Northern Alberta with limited internet access.
    As for the habs regressing to the mean, after the string of games in late Dec, them regressing to the mean might be a positive step…