Multimedia from Canadiens’ Wednesday practice

Practice

Canadiens board an afternoon flight to New York.
Andrei Markov was out early, skating fairly hard for 40 minutes.
Travis Moen missed practice because he was with his wife, who had a baby girl Wednesday morning.
Yannick Weber has a lower body injury and will not make the trip.

AUDIO of Randy Cunneyworth

Lines: Pacioretty-Desharnaid-Cole, Bourque-Eller-Leblanc, Darche-Plekanec-Diaz, Gomez with whoever feels like skating with him

• Mike Blunden is gone four to six weeks. Arthroscopic knee surgery this morning.

• Louis Leblanc is first out with a bag of pucks.

• Carey Price was out skating around and working on his shots.

The thing that pisses me off about Gomez is how says all the right things AKA canned responses and cliches. Couldn’t he just call it like Cammy sees it? The way he gushes about honour and dignity and trying and caring and how awful it is that the Habs are missing the play-offs and all, chances are the Habs will keep him for the next 2+ years and then resign him when his contract expires to a lengthy contract, for more of his veteran presence and all his great one-liners.

• SmartDog says:

I’m with you. I got sick of it last year “I’m a veteran, guys look up to me” etc. etc. Yah right. He’s his own PR guy. Good profession for him – he should switch.

• matt jordan says:

Gomez calling it like it is…

“Who cares about hollow statistics like goals or assists when someone has good Fenwick and Corsi numbers”
      “I could blow my nose using twenty dollar bills and still make a profit”
      “What happened to Wade Redden is a disgrace and I consider it salary cap circumvention by the New York Rangers. No veteran NHLer who can still lace his skates and drive to the rink should be treated like that and the New York Rangers have set a dangerous precedent that should not be followed”

• habstrinifan says:

I agree! That’s all I can say! It is useless trying to find a Gomez cure. Hopefully Cunneyworth has taken the first steps to doing the right thing. Making Gomez irrelevant. And dont be surprised if the last one of the ‘big three’ (patting myself on the back for marvelous example of irony), Gionta, becomes irrelevant to our future plans. I liked Gionta but I think the captaincy and the subordination of his spirit to the JM/PG brain washing destroyed Gionta.

2. HabFanSince72 says:

Are you ready for some fun with numbers?

Our biggest problem this year – without a doubt – is our third period play. We have blown so many leads in the 3rd.

So I looked up our goals against on nhl.com:

per game: 12th best
    per 1st period: 8th
    per 2nd period: 9th
    per 3rd period: 23rd !!!

When leading after two periods, we only win 74% of the time, 4th worst in the league.

When trailing after 2, we win 5% of the time (1/20), also 4th worst in the league. (Contrast to Boston who win a whopping 1/3 of the time when trailing after 2).

Add to that that we are dead last in victories from 1 goal games.

The reason for this is clear: we have not had a legit 4th line all year, and JM often played with 3 lines even early in the season. We play with 3, the opposition plays with 4. It’s fairly obvious why we perform so much worse in the 3rd than in the other two periods.

This is partly due to injuries, but also to coaching. Both JM and RC have the habit of benching players for mistakes. The problem is the rest of the team pays the price.

Being conservative, if we had a median rate of success in keeping leads (87%) and coming from behind (15%) we would have an extra 7 wins (4 and 3 respectively).

Now remember median is a bubble team. It isn’t exceptional.

Those 7 extra wins would give us 65 points … good for 4th best in the conference!!!!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• HabFab says:

Only if….but this team has been a big IF since the summer.

• LA Loyalist says:

The unsaid is that there is also conditioning issue.

Rolling 3 lines gives those lines more ice time and more “rhythm” and to get into the game, a 4th line generally doesn’t get the same minutes as the top 2 lines.

Obviously it is a long year and the coach has to be wise and pace everyone, including the goalie.

What are your thoughts on Habs conditioning?

• HabFanSince72 says:

Sure – poor 3rd periods could also be due to conditioning.

In any case, if we were as good in period 3 as in periods 1 and 2 we’d be near the top of the standings.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• HardHabits says:

And you were against Konopka. ;-)

I agree with you. I think I spent the whole summer and most of the first part of the regular season bemoaning the fact the Habs were a 3 line team without a 4th line of any significance.

I will also add that the Habs need more size and grit on defence.

Anybody in for a little bit of Tanks but no Tanks?

Sportsnet reporting Henrik Sedin is out for awhile with bad foot injury, blocked a shot last night. X-rays so far inconclusive, but in a walking boot today. Could make Vancouver panic and overpay for a talented forward.

• matt jordan says:

I don’t think Mike Gillis panics to much. If he did he’s have useless players like Kaberle on his roster.

Even with Henrik out, they still have pretty good depth down the middle, Kesler, Hodgson, Malhotra, Lapierre. On the wings the Canucks have Booth, D Sedin, Burrows, Hansen…

Canucks should be ready for another deep run this season.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

“Could make Vancouver panic and overpay for a talented forward.” Too bad we don’t have any to give them ; )

“Andrei Kostitsyn will be traded this month”
      - Sean Bonjovi

4. Hobie Hansen says:

I’ve seen a couple people mention Anthony Stewart’s name since he was put on waivers by Carolina.

I saw him play in the OHL a handful of times and his dad went to all his games wearing a big Habs jacket. Stewart had quite the battle with Ben Eager and Nathan Horton whenever the
    Frontenacs would play the Generals.

And Habs’ fans might like to know that Stewart broke Horton’s jaw in a scrap during the OHL playoffs one year..

Currently, I’m not sure what the issue with Stewart is?
    I believe he had NHL power forward and leadership potential when he was drafted in the first round by Florida in 2003?

He finally played a full season last year and scored 14 goals and 40 points.

Now he’s on waivers after scoring 8 goals after 50 games.

There must be something going on behind the scenes. Attitude issues, substance abuse…who knows?

Yup, you gotta wonder Hobie, from what i read in the Carolina reports this was Kirk’s call to put him on waivers. Having said that he is expected to be back in lineup now that he cleared waivers.

Carolina has made some interesting moves this year with players they had just signed.

• Bill J says:

Re: both Stewart brothers, it has been rumoured that they both have “bad off-ice habits”.

Maybe we don’t want pictures of speedo wearing hockey players smoking 4 cigarettes at once…. Been there, done that, didn’t work out well for the Habs.

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

5. habsman-itoba says:

So, Leblanc was out for practice early with Gomez, eh?

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

6. Habitant in Surrey says:

…@ Ian Cobb

…thanks for the deja-vu and Golden Oldie Ian …I was 10 years old at the time, how about You ?

…”The 1957 Stanley Cup Final NHL championship series was contested by the defending champion Montreal Canadiens and the Boston Bruins. The Canadiens were making their seventh consecutive Final appearance, while Boston was making their first appearance since the 1953 Final, also against Montreal. The Canadiens would win the series 4–1, for their second-straight Cup victory.”

…”Rocket Richard scored four times in game one, including three in the second period to tie Ted Lindsay’s record. Jacques Plante held the Bruins to just six goals in the five games, four of which were scored by Fleming Mackell.”

…only 10, but a lifetime of unforgettable memories !!! …sigh !

…Ian, We are now well into Our Second Childhood …do Ya ‘tink another 5 consecutive Cups will be Our experience before We walk off into that Big Bleu, Blanc et Rouge Sky, My Friend ???

…doo wop, doo wop Habs !!! :)

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

7. piper says:

Good video. Check out the high sticks near the end.

8. kirbhabs says:

I was pleasantly surprised last night.

For one, I have been buying in to the fodder of lets sell and drop for the draft pick. Fine. But I think Pleks was finally used properly last night, put with Moen and Darche (who I felt his time was done), but they were an awesome third line. A real shut down the top line with ability to do a fast turn over and get some chances. Then Eller and Leblanc were awesome with Bourque…. and of course 2 1/2 men were their usual self. So…. if we just go out and get ourselves a real!!! I mean real 4th line of thugs and bandits who are tough as nails… and grind… we would have a real hockey team.

My surprise was how good the young guys were when given Ice time. A real nice mix I thought. Not such a desperate situation.

Now the D is nice with PK and Gorges, Emelin and Diaz… but some filling out to be done obviously.

• habsnyc says:

plekanec, who twice led this team in scoring, on the third line, behind a bunch of nobodies, is everything that is wrong and stupid about this team and those who run it.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• kirbhabs says:

Am I suppose to be intimidated because you used the words stupid and wrong, shall I keep my opinions to myself now? Will that make you feel better.

He averages 65pts a season, and his defensive ability is far more valuable. He will still average about the same points.

We need a real points per game player, Pleks in his lates 20′s will not become a sudden points per game player.

Just my opinion.

• SmartDog says:

On Team 990 today they were agreeing with you (as do many here) that Mtl is desperate for a true #1 center and needs to make a big trade to get one. I am not sure I agree… but they did.

Also, I thought the game last night we uplifting as well. I’m excited about the young core – a better one than we’ve had in many many years.

• LA Loyalist says:

Well, M. Chien, it needs to be the right #1 male center, and we will pay dearly for him (unless we “Tanque ™ “)

His age needs to line up within the PK / Price age window (though I’m starting to wonder about Price these days).

Anyone who jumps out at you NOT older than Price / PK who could possibly lead us out of the wilderness?

• slychard says:

What’s the price for a #1 basterd center then.
            And yes the misspell was intentional.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
            Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• CanadienBoy says:

Well according to the 4period Jack Johnson is available for a top scorer AK with something else could be a start

9. HabsFan1111 says:

Just read NYR are looking for a PPQB? Kaberle for just about anything?

Our prayers have been answered, the showcasing has worked!!! Eklund says Chicago is the team to watch this week for trades and they have interest in Campoli. Well done PG.

11. manu07 says:

Oh best (or worst) part I forgot…Roy will be announce new head coach at seasons end as well.

12. manu07 says:

Not sure why I still read puck bandits. But according to them Darche and Gomez will be gone at the deadline. Of they can’t move Gomez he is apparently going to retire at seasons end. Also according to puck bandits, interest in Moen(NO SHIT) and Gill possibly heading to Boston. Finally, Habs looking at Carter for plecks.

13. Les Canayens says:

This is a gift for all the Letang haters out there to mock him:

Don’t ask me how I stumble upon this.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ❝ I can’t really hear what Jeremy says, because I’ve got my two Stanley Cup rings plugging my ears.❞

For all of you who were around in 1957 and who know what a diamond was! Guess how many cups we won in a row. Oh the memories!!!! Play both.

15. habsnyc says:

The Canadiens are ranked higher in goals scored per game than last year and ranked lower in goals allowed per game than last year. Either the team needs some stay at home defensemen, some defensive forwards or better goalie coaching.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

16. slychard says:

Congrats Mr Stubbs for making yahoo sports. Nice positive article. A good change from some of the negative stuff posted on the team lately. (me included of course.)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Kiss my hAbSS!!!

17. montreal ace says:

Ian Schultz, the player we got with Eller is quietly showing improvement with the Dogs. He has 12 points in 33 games this year, the same points total as White had last year in 33 games with the Dogs. I would love to see him come up for a few games to see if he can be a regular.

• christophor says:

i think most of his points are also in the last little while, which makes me think fitness issues were at play earlier. he’s shown up to training camp out of shape twice now. i think he could be a solid lower-line guy with a real disciplined summer training program under his belt. he’s made huge strides forward in his own zone and is real rugged

18. Rugger says:

Off topic but, Just saw an example of how a real professional organization handles discipline vs. the NHL. This weekend, a Wales rugby player was penalized for a “tip-tackle” which is having the tackled player flip upside down and the tackler dropping him. Happens most times by accident (I did it once to a Concordia player, broke his nose but he gave me a cuban cigar he had brought across the border with him after the game). The Wales player was banned for 7 weeks during the biggest tourney of the year. Another player in the English union (not a national player) was banned 18 weeks for a “racial abuse” of another player. Chara gets zip because it was a “hockey” play.

• SmartDog says:

Great post.

The NHL is truly classless in this way. A classless joke.

Even goons like Don Cherry have been saying for DECADES they need to protect the players from injury more with no-touch icing and softer shoulder pads, etc. and the league is only now ‘thinking’ about these very obvious dangers. At this time of year already we can see the refs getting softer. LeTang should have been disciplined for his tackle of PK last night.

The NHL is a f-n joke, it really is.

• montreal ace says:

The NHL fired Van Hellmond for shaking down refs for loans, then hired him as a consultant, of what I dont know lol, and then Cambell replaced him. Justice is a joke in the league, and some players get way with everything. There was talk yesterday, about Tampa and their Cup with Vinny and low draft choices. In game 6, I think the fans of Calgary and M. Gelinas, who scored a goal that was disallowed, would say the refs are crooked. The NHL wanted Tampa to win a cup, and basically gave them one, great for marketing.

• ffenliv says:

I’ve recently seen another take on that ‘goal’, one that I find it hard to disagree with. People now argue that the white space seen ‘between’ the puck and the line was actually a result of the puck being a few inches off the ice, so you could see the white area in the net behind it without it actually crossing the line.

The league could never actually hide a conspiracy like that. Someone important would come out and say it.

• Les Canayens says:

Makes me think if Gretzky’s Kings were to play against the Habs in the Final during the last 5-7 years, the Cup might have been handed to L.A. in similar fashion:

Tampa vs Calgary
          Anaheim vs Ottawa
          Boston vs Vancouver

Also consider the Alex Burrows – Stephane Auger incident, where a referee can have a personal vendetta against any player.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

• slychard says:

McSorely’s curve would have been mandatory on every LA stick.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
            Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• HabsFan1111 says:

… Carolina vs Edmonton

• montreal ace says:

Auger and his vendetta against Burrows was incredible, I could not understand how he was not fired. Jacobs got the bruins a get out of jail card last year, the hit on Mason Raymond warranted a suspension.

19. Dr.Rex says:

IF Carolina fetches a 3rd or even 2nd rd pick for Spacek it will make the Kaberle deal even more ludicrous.

IF Goats does pull out a miracle and finds a destination for Kaberle then what kind of deal would we expect. Taking a unwanted player with less salary perhaps. IS it possible we could unload Kabs and get a 6th or 7th rd pick?

• Da Hema says:

Depends on the team and the circumstances. I was no fan of the Kaberle trade, but he hasn’t been the source of the team’s general problems. I could see Kaberle being desired by (a) a young team looking for a veteran presence or (b) a team with devastating injuries to its defence corps. The Habs will have to be attentive, but they will get more than a 6th or 7th round pick for Kaberle as you claim.

• Dr.Rex says:

Perhaps, but that would mean Gauthier would have to be shopping him now even if he hasnt declared his team as a seller. IF he is waiting for calls for Kaberle then there is no need for him to have call waiting on his cell.

A Hall Gill ot Moen trade can be constructed very quickly leading up to the deadline considering their UFA status and the general asking price for these players, However when a player like Kaberle has two more years at 4.25 then the foundation for thsi trade takes time. Very similar to what the Flames had to do to acquire Cammy. I have a feeling Goats has not even called one GM regarding any possible players on his own team.

• Da Hema says:

But what if the summer or early next regular season is when the circumstances are best for the Canadiens to initiate a trade involving Kaberle? Shopping him around when the circumstances are not fortuitous for the Canadiens doesn’t make much sense to me. There is no dire, urgent need to trade Kaberle today. Patience is a virtue.

• ont fan says:

I read your post and laugh…so he is supposed to call other GM’s and talk them into taking Kaberle

• HabFanSince72 says:

Spacek is done.

Can barely finish a shift.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Les Canayens says:

Agreed.

While he was good, paired with Hamrlik, at shutting down Crosby and Ovechkin 2 seasons ago, Spacek had been brutal in turnovers. I used to cringe every time when he tries to get the puck out of his zone.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

• SmartDog says:

The point is not whether he is any good… but whether teams want him.
        Bob Mac says there should be lots of interest in him.
        I guess we’ll see.

• G-Man says:

Kaberle is putting up points. He is scoring roughly .5 pts per game. You pay $4.25mil + for that. Just because you don’t like him doesn’t mean he’s some sort of pariah in the room. He’s playing how he’s always played. 552 points in 956 NHL games. +32 in his career. He has never been a banger. He’s a puck mover. He isn’t going anywhere.

20. SmartDog says:

If you didn’t see it already and you want a feel-good description of the game from last night, Engels wrote a good little article:

Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

Next Season the HBO 24/7 series will be absolute series of contrast. Cameras and Microphones will be worn out following Burke and Wilson, while I suspect little will be seen or heard on the Detroit Red Wing front. I can’t think of 2 more polar opposite coaching and GM styles that will be closely followed. Should be intriguing. Of course Burke and Wilson will both be looking for an Oscar after their performances I am sure.

Looks like England has to find a new coach for the Euro this summer.

23. rhino514 says:

Why on earth would they keep Kaberle?
    In games in which there are few PPs he averages little more than 10 minutes a game and can´t really play D. No one in such a specific role deserve 4 million. Plus, he was brought in JUST for the PP, and he hasn´t helped it, it´s still last in the league. the team has not improved with him on it. I have a feeling his point totals are kind of “invisible”, they really don´t translate into winning hockey games.
    Like I said, if they can´t unload him I think PG should lose his job because it ends up being an irresponsible move. If they manage to unload him, I still don´t like him, but you could argue for him staying. But throwing away 4.25 million, if that´s what ends up happening, for a guy that really doesn´t bring very much, is just unforgiveable. It was a desperation move.

• SmartDog says:

Can’t stand the Kaberle trade. It’s Gomez lite. Give up something of value (Spacek is as good and worth something now in trade) for something useless that everyone else KNOWS is useless so we’re stuck with it. Terrible.

But I do have this little bit of optimism. I thought he looked more plugged in last night, he was talking more right off the top and I thought he played quite well. I didn’t watch the whole game so maybe missed something… but Kaberle is one of those guys I believe who could be okay if he just committed himself to stepping it up a bit. The talent is there, the discipline maybe not.

• Mustang says:

I think that pee wee coaches use Kaberle to show their young defencemen how NOT to play defence. I still cannot believe that PG actually brought him to Montreal.

24. Markov skating hard is a good sign. Although he was doing that before the last surgery wasn’t he?

25. SmartDog says:

Ooh boy! Multimedia!

Pictures AND words!

26. sCOTT1243 says:

Just read update above:

“Louis Leblanc is first out with a bag of pucks.”

Did Gomer get traded? I know, I know, just had to say it. :)

27. habs17 says:

im not going to mention ******** until we get a 10 game winning streak then i will think about ********

I support Scott Gomez

28. LA Loyalist says:

Not to toss a grenade into the trench, but, as of last night…

“Halak recorded his fifth shutout of the season and 21st of his career. He improved to 15-8-5 and has four shutouts in his last seven starts.”

Bring on the dancing horses.

29. montreal ace says:

I was really glad when Price stopped that last shot in the SO, cause I thought it was going in. Price is without a doubt the best player on the team, and I have no doubts he will get better. I find that I pay special attention when he is being interviewed. as he is candid and offers no excuses. Price is a determined young man who wants to win, I hope we keep him for a longtime. I hope its sooner rather then later, that he gets a couple of big D to clear the front of the net, and drop anybody who runs him.

30. sCOTT1243 says:

Someone PLEASE explain to me why there are so many Tanking comments. Do you honestly expect Men/Hockey Players are going to go out and throw games? Really? Not sure if those who have ever played the game, are making these comments, but NO one is going to go out and lose on purpose.

Let’s see. Forget Budaj or Price, give our AHL Backup goalie a shot? Shootout, instead of going in on net, just skate up to the puck at center and dump into the corner. How about 5 forwards on the ice and institute fines if they backcheck. Heck lets play Gomer, Darche, bring back BGL, Gill and Alex Henry from the Bdogs and now we are pretty much guarenteed to never score again this year.

Please for crying out loud, tanking will not happen. If they dont pull off a miracle and make the playoffs, all I can ask for is that the last game against the leafs means something….especially to knock them outta of the playoffs, so that I can tell all of my leaf loving friends, Payback is a b….tch.

• habsnyc says:

well, so far they have not lost on pupose. that is pretty much the only way they have not lost this year.

some fans are suggesting that if the team can get more than fair value for current assets, in the form of future assets, then it would be better to win fewer games this season for the chance of winner more games in the future.

other fans are suggesting that the team give its young players more on ice responsiblity because they are the future of the team. this may cost the team in the near term, but could accelerate the development of these players.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

31. JUST ME says:

I say we should look at the future Habs team starting with the keepers and you will soon find out that the core is more than decent.

We tend to look at the passengers and the underachievers but i do not think we have that many ,it`s just that they are contagious and are a nuisance for their linemates.

For once we have plenty of youngsters that are promissing and when they reach their peak it will be a totaly different picture.

I do not think we are in rebuild mode but we need to be patient and go for the best replacements for those who will leave the roster from here to the next season. Didn`t i hear that Cole was born fron quintuplets ? Just dreaming here….

32. Strummer says:

” Louis Leblanc is first out with a bag of pucks”

So they traded Gomez then?

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”
    -Dennis Miller

33. Le Jadester says:

So where was AK 46 today ?
    Traded ?
    Is he the one who feels like mabey skating with Gomer ?

I think alot of the disrespect he gets, starts from the writers here at the Gazette ?

I don’t get it, especially when:

1) He has only played for us
    2) He publicly said he would take a home town discount
    3) He is one of the most loved in the room

I know he has his flaws like anyone else, but I don’t why he gets the 2nd class citizenship treatment around here ? The guys is a great hockey player at 3.25 IMO

Habs, OLE !

• ebourcier says:

He has done it to himself by shying away from the media.

Ebour

• habs17 says:

ya i say we keep him he was also are 10th selection at the 2003 draft that is pretty high pick

I support Scott Gomez

• 44har48 says:

I fear he goes to a team that unleashes him, and he becomes the goal scorer most of us know he could be.

This guy is definately a pro, and one who does not read or watch the media, or if he does, he could care less what we think. Because if he did, there is no way he would want to come back to this team the way he has been treated time and time again, and for less money no less.

• jmsheehy19 says:

I heard he eats babies. Trust me I know a guy close to team.

• Mike D says:

I like AK46 too and hope we retain him. That is unless we come up with a package of some kind to land us a really big fish.

I think the reason why he gets a bit more hate than others is that he is clearly exceptionally-skilled, but doesn’t produce at a rate that matches his abilities. That, and he has a career-long tendency to go on these crazy cold streaks and is streaky in general. Additionally, he doesn’t do a lot of interviews which prevents him from creating a bond with the fans which would help temper a lot of the unpleasantness that is directed towards him if he has a bad game or is one one of those cold streaks.

I love that he’s a well-liked guy in the room and that he would take a discount to stay with us. Don’t think we’ll get him re-signed at 3.25mil though. It will take more than that in all likelihood as I’m sure many other teams would offer him upwards of 4mil with good term to go along with it.

- Honestly yours

• Bripro says:

We’d all love to keep him. At the same time, we’re all afraid that he’ll haunt us just as 44 pointed out.
        I’ll take his streaks, as long as the production is there.

• Forum Dog says:

I must have missed it. How is known that Kostitsyn is one of the most liked players?

Regardless, I hope they find a way to keep him. They have invested a lot of time and money in his development, and for a guy that scores 20+ on an annual basis, his cap-hit is reasonable. If they can get him for 3 years at $3.5-4 mil, he would be a solid buy. There is a 30+ goal season in there yet….

34. habs03 says:

I keep reading that PG screwed up the cap with Kaberle bla bla, talk about BS. Look at how much money we have to spend next summer, with Price/Subban/AK/Moen all resigned. We have 8M in cap space plus wtv it goes up by, that is 1 top 6 forward and a top 4 D-men or an Elite player like Suter…A lot of money to make really good upgrades to the decent pieces already there.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
    Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
    Max Pacioretty ($1.625m) / David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Erik Cole ($4.500m)
    Andrei Kostitsyn ($4.000m) / Lars Eller ($1.750m) / Louis Leblanc ($1.170m)
    Travis Moen ($1.500m) / Ryan White ($0.625m) / Mike Blunden ($0.615m)

DEFENSEMEN
    Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Alexei Emelin ($1.250m)
    Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / P.K. Subban ($3.000m)
    Tomas Kaberle ($4.250m) / Raphael Diaz ($1.000m)
    Yannick Weber ($0.850m)

GOALTENDERS
    Carey Price ($5.000m) / Peter Budaj ($1.150m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
    (these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
    SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $56,118,333; BONUSES: $300,000
    CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $8,181,667

• shiram says:

It was said on here that Emelin made the equivalent of 2 millions on the KHL, it will be interesting to see if he takes a discount to stay here.

• habs03 says:

OK give him an extra 750K, still a lot of money to work with, you can even move some guys, say AK traded before the deadline, that would be around 11-12M ++ to play with..

Where has Gomez gone?

And how did that happen? What was Mr. Molson’s facial expression when he found out 5.6 million dollars were spent so Mr. Gomez could ski in Europe with Mr. Markov?

• habs03 says:

Same one as when he found out about the JM buy-out.

• vivsterjuve88 says:

The brick in Mr. Molson’s pants becomes but a minor turd next year, that 5.5 looks better than this year’s 7.5…

And to the original comment, although I hate to say and disagree with it, consensus in the media seems to be giving Price 6-6.5mill/yr… I don’t think 6.5 makes sense considering what he’s done so far, but then I don’t think 7.3 for my Mexilaskan bro does either.

Also, if A Kost says he’s willing to take a discount, couldn’t we at least just pencil his salary to stay at 3.25 instead of rising?

• Bripro says:

You stole my question! ;)

• sublime19 says:

the only problem here is you think subban will take 3m and carey 5m per year, which is wishful thinking at its peak. its going to take 11 million per year to sign them both, not 8.

word around town is price declined a 7yr 49 mil offer because the term was too short.

Tyler myers, keith yandle, jack johnson and marc staal all make north of 4 or even 5 million, giving subban only 3 is paltry.

edit: problem 2: you’ve made gomez disappear! even if he was bought out, there would still be a caphit of 2mil or so for 4 years?

• Shane1313 says:

I usually dont like looking at lineups, but this is the best one i’ve seen!! Although I think PK gets 4 tho!

35. Shane1313 says:

I really understand where people are coming from with Gill. But im not sure if that’s the best move! I mean if he gets us return, go for it. But for 2 mil and he’s surely not done! He can be very valuable to any team. I kind of would like that veteran who gets a lot of respect to stick around for the next while.

36. 44har48 says:

Don’t get me wrong, Gauthier needs to go and now is not soon enough. I don’t want this guy dabbling and tooling around with our team at the trade deadline with no strategy, when we need change and to obtain some assets for our players that are available (yeah I know, who the heck wants any of these guys other than maybe Gill and Moen?)

Having said that, has anyone heard anything about the cap going down next year and a one time buyout period happening? I thought I read rumblings about that a while back and it sure would explain why Gomez is still in the pros and Kaberle was the one acquired as a stop gap for Markov…

Always like the mood on this site after a win.

• FRIGGIN RIGHTS

I almost never come on HIO after a loss. All you see is Price sucks and trade this guy and trade that guy.

Not one single of those Price Sucks members comes on here after a win and it’s always great Habs conversation.

Shane Oliver
      http://www.Sholi2000.com Inc.
      Custom Sports Figures
      Brandon, MB,Canada
      R7B 2R7
      hockey@sholi2000.com
      Ph- 204 724 8418

• LA Loyalist says:

Any of you guys read Dante in your spare time?

In Dante, Hell is comprised of concentric circles and varying degrees of torture (enter Hieronymous Bosch and the chorus).

Our particular hell is the Habs showing just enough to tease us.

Our particular hell is winning enough to give us false hope, and not losing enough to get a decent draft pick and sell them what need to be selled.

Do not be fooled. We need to to sell and accumulate picks and prospects and cap space. Then we need a real rebuild.

Once in a while we can stop by Bob’s bakery for a loaf and to say hi, or visit PG’s yogurt stand, but mostly, thanks and don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

And if you don’t think the past couple of years haven’t been hell, you’ve not been paying attention.

38. Hobie Hansen says:

Very encouraging sign that Markov skated for 40 minutes. Next year’s defense is pretty much already in place if he returns.

Markov, Subban, Gorges, Kaberle And Emelin have to be a lock. It’s too bad about Kaberle but thank Gauthier for that one. His contract is unmovable.

So that leaves Weber, Diaz, Tinordi and maybe Nash fighting for the 6th spot next year.

With Markov, Subban and Kaberle already there to provide offense it would be stupid to have Weber or Diaz in there. They are small and one dimensional. I’d rather Diaz than Kaberle but we’re stuck with Kaberle.

Nash is a long shot and Tinordi is probably another year away.

They Habs are still without that essential big and tough stay-at-home defenseman.

It would be nice to see that type of defender added and I’d be pretty happy with our defense if that were the case.

Someone like an Odelein or Quintal. Those guys were great in front of our net years ago and played a solid defensive game. Plus they beat the tar out of people when needed.

I was not adverse to the Kaberle trade, at the time the team had to try and resolve PowerPlay. He is pricey, but, I think he can be traded either this season or next. I want to seen the team pick up a Shane O’Brien type guy for #6dman. Even if he rotates in and out of lineup with Kaberle or Diaz.

Next year we may also be in position to trade a Diaz if one of our pipeline Dmen have developed enough. This would be great since acquiring Diaz was just good scouting.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I’d much rather have Diaz developing in the lineup than Kaberle. In saying that, Kaberle hasn’t been brutal and I honestly don’t mind him in our lineup.

But the theory that the “New NHL” would turn out to be a small man’s game was quickly squashed shortly after the lockout. And that point was again hammered home last year with the Bruins winning the cup.

Having a couple puck moving defenseman is imperative, nobody is questioning that. But not having two or three defenseman that are big, physical and even a tad reckless is just setting yourself up to fail.

Shane O’Brien would be a perfect fit as our 6th defenseman, I agree.

• Ali says:

If he grows up, he was partying too much in Van which is why they dumped him and he had several disciplinary issues. I don’t know how mature he is now after playing in Nashville and now in Colorado.

• I don’t mind the Kaberle move one bit. He’s 4 years younger than Spacek, and provides more offense.

He’s played 25 games and has 14 points, and only -2. I wonder would he have 28 points by now if he started the season here. He was brought in as a band aid, if they keep him that’s fine, and if he goes that’s fine too.

Markov!

I was just talking with a guy who knows the guy who plays pick up with that guy in Montreal who works with Carey.

Nice day today.

Shane Oliver
        http://www.Sholi2000.com Inc.
        Custom Sports Figures
        Brandon, MB,Canada
        R7B 2R7
        hockey@sholi2000.com
        Ph- 204 724 8418

• Bripro says:

My issues with Kaberle are twofold.
        He’s soft. I never see him throw the body around.
        We get more performance out of Mackemelin, Diaz and even Weber.
        And I find that he panics in our zone under rushed coverage.
        He’s decent with minimum pressure in clearing the zone, and pretty good in penetrating the offensive zone on the PP, but then it dies.
        I still think he’s too much $$, but there are a few like that, aren’t there?

Kaberle is the engigma wrapped in a conundrum! Living in GTA I watched this guy for years as a Leaf, and he has alot of talent and is not washed up. However, (Big Huge However) he can drive you nuts some nights with what can appear to be lacklustre play. Hopefully other things happen with our cap room that he can be a luxury on this team and be a 6th or possibly 7th dman for certain games.

But he still has some upside, and he still will be tradeable (my opinion I am no GM).

• habsnyc says:

I totally agree, would be great to have a big stay at home defenseman, but they are hard to obtain.

Markov turns 34 next season. He has missed 2 1/2 seasons. His knees are a mess. It is a stretch to expect him to contribute the way he did when he was four years younger and much more healthy.

I think the team needs to add two experienced defensemen to the roster, one to replace Gill and one as insurance against Markov. I think the recent additions such as Kaberle, Emelin, Weber, Campoli and Diaz are third pairing guys at even strength. Maybe Emelin moves up the depth chart over time.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Timo says:

I skated for an hour on Monday, if that counts for anything.

• LA Loyalist says:

Tinordi had better be 2 years out. You want to go through PKs growing pains again? Do we NEVER freaking learn?

• Strummer says:

It’ll be either Markov or Kaberle.
      If markov is done, then Kaberle stays.
      If Markov can play Kaberle will be moved

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”
      -Dennis Miller

39. HabFanSince72 says:

What the Habs should do.

Name Gill as Captain for one game, so he can have a souvenir Canadiens jersey with a C on it.

Gionta will not mind, and it would be a nice thank you before we trade him.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Should really do that for Gomez as well before the season is out. (hehe)

• Cardiac says:

I don’t mean to be a hater, but based on what credentials would he deserve to wear the “C”?

- Jerry Maguire

If you don’t mean to be a hater, then don’t be a hater.

Sorry, just as I read your comment those stupid bank commercials came to my head and thought this would fit it. Go on with your day and don’t mind me.

• HabFanSince72 says:

He’s a leader and served the Canadiens well. It would be for one game.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

It would be a very nice symbolic gesture indeed HF. Not a bad idea, not sure if something like that has been done before. Not sure what past captains of the Habs would think of that. I would hope they saw the class in the move and thought well of it.

• Cardiac says:

He’s a leader? Is it because he’s a “nice guy” and because he played in the league for 15 seasons? Explain please.

- Jerry Maguire

• Mike D says:

Cardiac, if you’re not aware that Gill is a leader then you don’t follow hockey very well. His current and past teammates as well as coaches have all called him a strong leader.

There’s a reason he wears an A on his jersey.

- Honestly yours

• LA Loyalist says:

Maybe the best team each week could have the Stanley Cup for that week. Wouldn’t that be special?

Sheesh. I hate days without a game, the weirdest stuff gets posted.

• SmartDog says:

Careful HF, we’ll start to think you have a heart.

40. habs17 says:

LIL JON for habs GM

I support Scott Gomez

41. For those who were wondering about the All Star Jerseys that were made for the draft night.

NHL.com and Hockey fights cancer has released the jerseys and are now up for auction.

Remember these were the jerseys that were not worn because the player was picked by the other Captain.

HOCKEY FIGHTS CANCER AUCTION

Shane Oliver
    http://www.Sholi2000.com Inc.
    Custom Sports Figures
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

• Mattyleg says:

Yeah, and what about all those New England Patriots Super Bowl Champions baseball hats? Do they get shipped off to Mali or somesuch place, where the concept of dousing a fat man with electrolyte-filled water is beyond inconceivable?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

REFEREEING !
    The worse part about our game of hockey, is the fact that since going to 4 stripe shirts on the ice in each game, the talent and quality of refs has not kept up to the level of each league. And that goes throughout the whole industry at all levels.

• Bripro says:

But in Montreal, it’s a conspiracy.

• shiram says:

Refs will make wrong calls, that’s part of human nature, and the way they have to do their jobs.
      Having to make split-second decision, while having to rely only on 4 pairs of eyes, while 10 skater zip around in a mess of hits passes and whatnot.
      I think the League should do more to ensure the right calls are made, but it seems it’s more worthwhile to ensure the game are shorter.

• G-Man says:

Agreed. The problem is where the refs come from. They go through the minor system with everyone heaping abuse on them from the time they pick up the whistle. It’s no wonder that they stink. It’s only the extremely thick-skinned ones that last. Either that or they’re deaf and don’t particularly care.
      Who in their right mind wants to be a pro ref these days? Only lousy ones like Lee and O’Rourke, etc. If the league doesn’t protect them, why should they give a shit?

43. Dr.Rex says:

IT was quite a joke last night that LEtang was able to participate in the shootout. ITs been awhile since I have seen a player jump and mob another like that. SUbban had his legs tangle underneath him and his back was stretched to the max. I was tackled in a similar way playing high school football and I couldnt move for 10 days after.

What if PK had been seriously injured? WHy is PK free game for any fool to assault? Why is Letang so ugly?

44. Just because I think out loud a lot.

I wanna meet the scout who told Mr. Gainey that McDonagh was most likely a spoiled pick. Odds are he (the scout) has moved on.

I realize that the Habs are (as we say in PEI) chalk full of defensemen, but man I like that McDonagh.

EDIT- Oops

What ever happened to this guy

Shane Oliver
    http://www.Sholi2000.com Inc.
    Custom Sports Figures
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

• shiram says:

Link does not work.
      I read on here that Timmins was displeased when they traded McDonagh.

• Bripro says:

Shane, your link won’t open.
      Also, when did they move PEI to Manitoba?
      I wanted to buy property and move there, but now I’m not so certain.

• I was born and raised in PEI. Left home at 17 (1990) and a half to join the Infantry and play hockey :lol:

I’ve been stuck in MB ever since.

EDIT- My family owns a small resort on the South Shore in PEI. Not sure if lots are for sale though.

Shane Oliver
        http://www.Sholi2000.com Inc.
        Custom Sports Figures
        Brandon, MB,Canada
        R7B 2R7
        hockey@sholi2000.com
        Ph- 204 724 8418

• Bripro says:

Since my wife and I have been together, we’ve been at least a dozen times.
          The first number of years were (surprise!) Cavendish.
          Two years ago, they had a commercial condo retail building for sale,
          on the north-east corner of highways 6 & 13 in Cavendish.
          It’s was a steal, and I wanted to buy it, but my wife said it was too soon, since we run a small company in Montreal which isn’t recession-proof.
          The only southern part we’ve stayed in was a cottage similar to your family’s in Cape Traverse. It was that same summer.
          I consider as Canada’s Greek Islands, and absolutely love it.
          As I said, we plan on retiring there in the summer, and Arizona in the winter (Condos cheap there too).

• Where we are there is no tourist traps. We get the same people year after year because all they want is to sit on the beach, or in front of their cottage and let the kids run wild without any worries. It’s perfect for that.

As soon as the kids are done with school, I pack up the Big Red Beast and head East. Mind you I’m 40, semi retired with a seasonal business (by choice). I do pretty much anything I want now. 21 years in the infantry has made me travel crazy. I love the fact I can go anywhere at anytime. Holy Freedom!!!!

1 800 565 7421 come today and sail away to the Island in the Sun…… 1 800 565 7421 :lol:

Shane Oliver
            http://www.Sholi2000.com Inc.
            Custom Sports Figures
            Brandon, MB,Canada
            R7B 2R7
            hockey@sholi2000.com
            Ph- 204 724 8418

• Cardiac says:

I posted about this yesterday… Apparently Timmens was pissed when BG made that move.

To me, there was never a doubt McDonagh was going to be a solid NHL defenseman. We were hearing the same great things about him then as the same great things we are hearing now about Beaulieu and Tinordi. In hindsight, we could have gotten Gomer and his contract straight up for Higgins, an AHL journeyman, and a defected KHL player.

That’s why I cringe everytime someone mentions one of them in trade talk as a “throw in a prospect.”

- Jerry Maguire

• Dr.Rex says:

I recall reading many posts online dissappointed with hsi first 2 years of developement. I think some were expecting more offense from him because of his higly touted skating ability. SOme even compared him to Fischer back in 2008-09.

Its one thing for hasty fans to give up early on a prospect, its another for a management team to miscalculate like that.

• ZepFan2 says:

Meh, it happens to the best of them. Look how many record companies passed on the Beatles. One even called them nothing more than a skiffle band. How many execs got fired for that screw up? :smile:

———————————————————————-
      “Wins? We don’t need no stinkin’ wins!”

Great post and point Zep! Every team makes mistakes on prospects, Calgary let Martin St. Louis away for squat, heck the Flames traded Brett Hull for marginal returns. And it happens in other industries by successful companies. Still a league run by Humans (wait, did I just call Bettman human?)

• ZepFan2 says:

Thanks Burli.

Bettman…human? No, say it can’t be!

Mistakes are made, just hopefully not the same ones.

———————————————————————-
          “Wins? We don’t need no stinkin’ wins!”

45. danedmunds says:

Scott Gomez hoping his new look will net him a few

go habs go

46. Stuck_in_To. says:

“After Tuesday’s shutout loss to the New Jersey Devils, Mark Everson of the New York Post writes the New York Rangers should be in the market for a quarterback on the power play.” TSN
    Time for PG to get some lipstick on Kaberle!

47. Mattyleg says:

Hey, anyone have any idea how Kovy is getting on in Mother Russia, where Hockey Plays You?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

48. HabsFan82 says:

Forward Trade list: Gomez, Darche, Blunden, Nokelainen
    for the 4 of them we should at least get a real good LW 3rd liner.

Take the best you can get for them

2012-2013 couple of big guys on each line next year

1st = Cole, Eller, Gionta
    2nd = Bourque, Plekanec, Kostitsyn
    3rd = Big Guy-15 goals, Leblanc, Pacioretty
    4th = Moen? Desharnais, white,
    Because of size I would make Desharnais the 4th center.
    the 1st and 2nd lines are 20 goal scorers or better.

On “D” I would keep Gorges, PK, Emelin and improve from there.
    Don’t wait for Markov, that’s like waiting to win the 649 we’re just hoping. our Goalies are OK.

• Cardiac says:

You’re gonna put our top playmaker on the fourth line… because he’s “small”? Wow, glad you’re not the coach.

And who is going to trade a “big guy” who can pot 15 goals for a bunch of crap? Put the controller down and step away from the Xbox…

- Jerry Maguire

49. Mattyleg says:

Just noticed the New Moen On The Block!
    Nice!
    Congratulations Travis and family!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

50. Mike D says:

Just saw an Adidas training commercial featuring Mike Cammalleri. Seriously?????

Everyone knows Cammy takes his conditioning VERY seriously (maybe best in the league, up there at worst) and is in great shape because of it, but his on-ice production has been in strong decline for a little while now. Doesn’t make any sense to me.

- Honestly yours

• Say Ash says:

Too busy selling crap.

• shiram says:

Pay popular hockey player for endorsement, sell shoes.
      They probably had his deal knocked out some while back.

• Kooch7800 says:

I was laughing at those ads as well. I am sure they were done before the season and were just set to air now. Cammy should be a lot better than he is. he needs to learn to adapt his game….similar lines to Gomez.

Their original style is not working anymore so they need to adapt to survive. I am really like cammy in the playoffs but during the regular season often wondered if he was even playing in the game.

I would like to see Cammy get better for Calgary’s sake. We won that trade no doubt but I would prefer it being a win win

• habsperspective says:

Looks sell anything. Look at Gauthier, probably one of the best looking GMS in the league, but hes… ill just say arrogant, and usually that follows with ignorance.

Makes sense why those two butted heads. To alike. Vanity to the bank.

• PrairieHabber says:

He tweeted about it on Sat. Asked people to watch for the commercial that night. I tweeted him back “Too bad you didn’t work as hard on the ice as you did in your #adidas commercial. Used to be a fan. #nownotsomuch.”

51. third generation haber says:

According to Mackenzie, there are 2 centers ranked from 6-10th in this year’s draft: #7 Alex Galchenyuk, #10 Radek Faksa. Both a re big power forwards, and picks 6, 8, and 9 are D men. I can’t imagine how one of these 2 wouldn’t be our first pick this year!

j.p. murray

• HabFanSince72 says:

Alex Galchenyuk is interesting. Missed the season due to a knee injury, but was viewed as a potential #1 earlier.

If we fall low enough the “best player available” (TM) may well be Malcom Subban.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

52. Newf_Habster says:

Congratulations, Travis! :D

• Mike D says:

+1. Really like Travis and he’s a keeper to me. If I were GM I would only trade him if the offer was clear overpayment …..then I’d try to re-sign him in the offseason.

- Honestly yours

53. Chrisadiens says:

John Lu reporting Weber will not travel to NY or Tor. But the injury is not serious. He says its a charlie horse.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

54. Shane1313 says:

Have they changed the font on this site?? Or is it just me?

55. Mattyleg says:

Woah!
    Forbidden!
    Haven’t been Forbidden in a while.
    (and on the wind, a voice whispered… “forbidden…”)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

56. jonnyp says:

Trade coming soon !!!

So Markov is increasing the time he is skating and also the effort level at the same time. These are good signs indeed. The surgical repair that Dr. Andrews did versus the one performed by Dr. Nick of Springfield is one with a longer rehab process, but much better strength (I called Recchi he gave me this info.).

If we take PG at this word, that the structure of the Andrews Operation (who is the best in the biz) was good and that scar tissue remnants from Nick was the issue, and he is not in discomfort after these skates currently, we may finally have our Stud Dman back.

I continue to hope, as Shiram and Chuck posted below, we have to know where Markov is at in order to prepare for next year.

Some good things starting to happen….

• Good things for sure, hard to believe this has been going on so long. Can’t wait to see him in a full season.

Shane Oliver
      http://www.Sholi2000.com Inc.
      Custom Sports Figures
      Brandon, MB,Canada
      R7B 2R7
      hockey@sholi2000.com
      Ph- 204 724 8418

I can’t remember who posted a couple days ago, but Jan Hudic our Cdn. Downhill skier just won a huge race on the World Cup tour in Germany. He had ripped apart his ACL and has now recovered to be world class, it can happen.

We just can’t ever let any of our players get operated on by the guy who did Markov’s first repair. Obviously I am generalizing in that, but why would we ever not go to the top surgeon in the first place.

All the NFL/NBA top stars go to James Andrews.

• GSP says:

lol @ “I called Recchi”

I really really hope that, whether or not he plays this year, that he’ll be ready to go for next season.

The guy is a stud.

__________________
      Saku Koivu is a Hero.

• shiram says:

Ouh I just got referenced!
      Take it from Dr. Hibbert, he said Markov would be as good as new, and he chuckled after that.

• Habfan10912 says:

Markov’s status next year is the difference between a rebuild or retweek. I sure hope he sees some action this year so we can be somewhat confident that a retweeking is all that’s needed.

• habsperspective says:

This is the fine line, or fragility of the situation. Sad. This team is good, but yet it could be decimated. You know how many times id HOPED, we had won that seven game series against Boston last year(3 OT losers), regardless if we hadnt won the cup. Boston might of got blown up.

• habsperspective says:

Hey neighbour,

The idea that something can be rebuilt is one thing, but to stand the test of the NHL is another thing. Sorta like a car, that has 15K in damage gets written off, ya sure someone may fix it. But as everyone knows its never the same. And thats something mechanical.

Are we to believe that people who’ve had hip replacements, heart transplants, even lung transplants, are going to be as good as they were before. Not likely, so why should we think a knee, a back, someone’s brain is going to be fine after some six figure “specialist” declares it to be. Hope thats why.

More money has been made in the idea of “hope” then any other endeavour man made. We need to be encouraged regardless of its likelihood. We have examples of that ridiculousness everywhere.

So even though I think they can make his knee better then it was after the injury, its really quite unlikely he should have NHL expectations of it.

I think this team should of planned for life without Markov, last season, and of course going forward. And thats not what this GM is prepared to do. Hell go down with this ship first.

• ont fan says:

They said that about Tommy John.. you aren’t the same..you have to be smarter than you were before..there are a lot of power pitchers who had to change their style after surgery..never underestimate an athlete if he is determined and he gets a break or two

• habsperspective says:

I agree theres feel good storys, like I said hope is our uncertain savior. But we shouldnt base our expectations on the micro percentage of success, when in reality the masses havent. Its not realistic. And this is a business unfortunately.

• sanman_11 says:

Are you saying Georges is not as good as he used to be? He had ACL surgery…If you know about the surgery they remove part of your patella or sometimes thigh tendon and completely reconstruct the ligament. There is no structural reason to believe it wouldn’t be the same as long as the surgery is performed properly and it has the necessary time to heal. Most importantly the muscles around the knee need to be rehabilitated and strengthed in order to support the knee properly. Most of the time people have these things over and over is because they short changed the healing or rehab process. Lastly, if these players would wear a brace its almost impossible to reinjure because the brace prevents lateral and twisting which is the #1 cause. How do I know, I had the surgery and did the rehab and wear a brace. Good as new.

• habsperspective says:

Okay, and when have you played in the NHL, when you have Cooks, Bertuzzis, oh shit the list is endless of rednecks bearing down on you.

Let me give you a better example. If evry injury is unique. from a small tear, to removing the leg at the knee. Would you say there all repairable. No. At some point, any injury isnt repairable. This guy has had multiple injuries, and where in replays ive seen his knee, flip and flop 100 degrees. Not everything is fixable. And considering hes been off the ice, for who knows how long, common sense might dictate hes done.

Georges & Markovs injuries are polar opposites.

• ZepFan2 says:

“Not likely, so why should we think a knee, a back, someone’s brain is going to be fine after some six figure “specialist” declares it to be.”

Maybe you should look in on Wiz’s situation. He’s had multiple surgeries on his knees and he seems okay.

———————————————————————-
        “Wins? We don’t need no stinkin’ wins!”

• habsperspective says:

I HOPE, HOPE, HOPE, he comes back, scores 75 points his fist full season, makes the allstar game, and pushes the HABS to a 25th championship, and makes me eat dirt!!!

• sanman_11 says:

But we are not talking about every range of injuries. We are talking about a specific injury, an ACL which constitutes and ACL reconstruction. I’m saying this particular one is repairable and if properly healed and strenghtened can be as good as new. Common sense dictates that the time he has taken off has been for healing and strengthening. His cardio may be an issue but thats not an injury. I’m lost when you say Georges injury was a polar opposite, it was the same ACl reconstruction. Polar opposite to me is a bicep tendon re-attachment on the other side of the body. Then throw in the knee rotating at 100 degrees (do you mean hyper extension or twisting because they cause different injuries) and there is little fact and lots of cliches in your post. And exactly how did you see his knee do this by the way since I have never seen a 100 degree turn other then the Joe Theismann injury.

• habsperspective says:

Well listen, im not pretending to understand knee surgery. And if you say its possible that something even completely destroyed can be rebuilt, ill take your word for it. Time will tell hopefully, then again maybe not.

• Bripro says:

Where were you hiding yesterday?
      The site was short on wisdom and long on tanking.
      Some (gasp!) even mentioned trading Plecs.

58. GSP says:

Fellow Habs fans!

I’m relatively new to this site, though I am and always have been a huge Habs fan. I run a comedy website geared towards Indian-Canadians, and I was recently questioning the Mike Cammalleri move.

So I made a music video about it, lol.

It’s a parody of an insanely popular Tamil song called “Why This Kolaveri Di” and it’s entirely in English with subtitles as well.

If you get a chance, take a look at it!

I don’t want to be one of those guys who just posts to promote, lol, but I really do hope you all enjoy this video.

Also, what a performance by Plekanec last night!

__________________________________________________
    Saku Koivu is a Hero.

59. HabsFan1111 says:

Just glanced at the boxscore, here’s a mystery for all …. in the scrum at the end of OT (when Letang skated across the whole rink and mugged PK) Malkin got 2 for roughing and Darche got 2 for interference???

a) How did PK not get anything?

b) I was thinking Letang might even get 10 for jumping PK (was hoping he may not be able to shoot in the SO). How did he escape that one? I’ve seen misconducts for far less.

• SmartDog says:

Just lousy and inconsistent reffing. Seeing a LOT of that lately, stuff that goes uncalled. There’s something really wrong with the league when every year they take two steps forward in cutting out cheap shots, etc. and then by the end of the year they’re right back where they started.

• avatar_58 says:

I don’t get why he mugged PK. Why, because he DARED to touch Malkin? In my opinion if your superstars are over 6′ they have to fend for themselves. It’s different if they are small players. Malkin is a big boy and can take hits.

Same goes for how tampa protects Vinny. He gets to spear, slash and hit but good LORD don’t ever touch him back. Bunch of wimps if you ask me.

• shiram says:

What I gathered from Guins fans is that PK kept going at Malking after the whistle.
        I watched the game on Canadiens Express, so I have not seen that part.

• avatar_58 says:

Here’s my beef – PK is our star, as is Price. Why is it ok to cheap shot, slam, fight, etc PK but if we *dare* return the favour on Malkin, Crosby, Vinny, etc it’s taboo and all hell breaks loose?

Double standard. If PK is a target so too are the stars of your teams. I don’t really care “who started it”. That never seems to matter when Crosby slashes people, so why the hell does it matter when PK makes clean open ice hits?

• HabsFan1111 says:

Anyone could see it building, PK and Malkin were battling for the last 10 seconds, it was only natural that it went past the horn. Letang was WAY out of line IMO. It seems opposing teams take any chance they can to go after PK and apparently they’re getting away with it.

• Bripro says:

PK got mugged because he kept Malkin off the score sheet and hounded Malkin in the slot all game. It was a thing of beauty.

• Psycho29 says:

I was surprised also….I checked the summary as the shootout started and figured that they hadn’t listed all the penalties…

Seems strange that it says in the rules that you cannot take part in the shootout if you’re serving a misconduct, but if you’re off with a minor or major, you are allowed…

60. HabsFan82 says:

Markov a important part of the team. some people just don’t get it. a one hit wonder and he’s gone again – He’s a money grabber
    people knock Gomez at least he plays. wonder how much his Doctor was paid for liein. no use for money grabbers – just players who show up every game. good example – Cole, underpaid for playing good every game.

61. SmartDog says:

I like this line:
    * Leblanc – Eller – Bourque *

Three guys with size who play with a lot of jam.

Poor Pleks… Darche and Diaz?? WTF? They’re shopping Darche for sure.

62. Mr. Biter says:

Cunny must have been sweating last night as the shoot out went on. Looking down the bench to see Gomez, PK, Gill and Campoli coming up. Wonder if using Price on the shoot out ever crossed his mind. Gazette headline :”Price wins shoot out with goal and 12 saves”.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

63. habs17 says:

moen and palushai for 1st rnder

I support Scott Gomez

64. shiram says:

Babies.
    I thought it was the PP that was the Habs worst problem this season, but now it’s clear, it’s babies.
    Pleks, Gill, Cammy and now Moen?
    Just blame the babies.

65. fuhgawz says:

where is Akost?

66. Forum Dog says:

Decent game I guess. Lots of pace and puck movement. Certainly not boring to watch. Frustrating to see a D that can’t hold a lead though. Don’t like to see players get injured, but Weber is just not a guy that should be playing defence. Soft play down low led directly to Neal’s tying goal.

Breaking up Cole’s line seemed to impact him a bit I thought. Didn’t quite seem to have the jump he has for most of this season.

Plekanec played a decent game and gets some love, but he was still a -2 and lost a tonne of faceoffs. Almost didn’t seem to be trying to win them at times. Lost faceoffs really hurt the Habs last night, especially on the PP.

Leblanc looked decent for a 20 year old. He has enough heart to help him get the most out of his skills.

Can’t wait for White to get back. They are in dire need of some muscle up front. I think he’d be a good complement for Eller and Kostitsyn, or maybe Gomez and Bourque.

Keep grinding them out fellas. Winning is more fun than losing.

67. Maksimir says:

How about this for a trade… Gill for Ryan O’Byrne? Younger, cheaper, blocks shots, actually hits now and then.. might even drop the gloves, plays 18-20mins a game. Looks like he has turned into a solid stay-at-home Dman in Denver – what he should have been allowed to develop into for the Habs.

• shiram says:

Would prefer getting a pick if Gill is moved.

• twilighthours says:

Huh? You’d rather a pick (i.e. a player who might someday play in the NHL) rather than an established NHLer? Not saying O’Byrne is a world-beater but he’s better than what most NHL picks turn out to be. Gill would fetch a 2nd at most, probably more like a 3rd or 4th, and it’s highly unlikely that a 3rd or 4th is ever as good as O’Byrne.

• shiram says:

Habs have alot of signed D right now, plus the younger guys in the AHL are doing good.
          Picks are usefull, they can be used to add value to a trade, move up at the draft or just to pick up someone interesting.
          O’byrne does not much bring much that is needed on the Habs, yeah he is big, but not tough, he is not gonna score goals or make alot of great passes either.

• el heffe says:

Beaulieu, Tinordi, Ellis, Pateryn, Kishel, Dietz. that is why we dont need more D men signed. The future is these players. Not Ryan O’ Byrne

Charge it to the Underhill’s.

• Kooch7800 says:

O’Byrne, I never minded that guy. I think he is a good fit in Colorado though. I think picks would be better as we have some good D men coming up in the next couple years

• HabsFan1111 says:

Can’t imagine the Avs would do it considering their current place in the standings. Hypothetically, I would do it, but am still pleased with Bournival instead of O’B.

• RGM says:

Not sure if trolling or being serious.

You realize that his habit of scoring in his own net came with him to Colorado, yeah?

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez, a potential Hall of Fame player, has two Stanley Cup rings and a Calder Trophy that says ‘I’m a player whom any authentic NHL coach will rely on to fix a game problem.’” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

68. Kooch7800 says:

Patrick Holland (Tri City) the prospect that was in the deal currently has has 70 points in 51 games.

Man did Calgary screw up in that deal for Cammy. PG won that one so far. Bourque is decent, 3 mill cheaper a good prospect in Holland and a 2nd rounder…man I still like that trade

69. habs17 says:

2 wins 28 more to go

I support Scott Gomez

70. Mattyleg says:

Man, that sucks for Blunden! Poor guy.
    I was really starting to like him too. Hope he gets himself better.
    Any news on Weber?
    I thought he had a pretty good game last night (his shot is awesome!), but he’s suffering from the on-again-off-again usage that he’s had.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

71. HabFanSince72 says:

I know everyone’s happy we won but this was yet another game where we blew a lead in the 3rd while being badly outplayed (3 shots on goal in the 3rd). Nothing’s changed. Most of the time we lose these games (often on the shootout) but we squeaked through last night.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

72. krob1000 says:

What a night…an entertaining game, the guys actually showing some creativity and fanatstic puck movement, a shootout win, Pleks in fine form, PK playing well, it was jsut a feel good night all around. To top it off all of the other lower end teams won too so we got entertained and lost nothing in the standings re the lottery.

• Chuck says:

Or for the tankers in the crowd, it was another missed opportunity to lose 2 points on the pack. :)

• nunacanadien says:

How come this rag tag bunch of too tall and too short finally showed up. Where was this team all year then? Oh wait, waiting for Andrei Markov. How many cups have we won with Andrei Markov and why are we basically destroying our defense while we wait for this man? I thought this was a professional hockey team, not some college team that has time on its side while we await the school quarterback. As if. Time to move on and call Markov what Markov really is, damaged goods. No different than any of the damaged veterans that we sign who hurt their legs just skating ala Campoli style. Time to move on boys,.

73. shiram says:

I said it before, I hope Markov plays a few games this season, only to see where is and how he can play. Markov is such an important part of the team, even strenght and on special teams, management has to know where he is and how is play is.
    It’s crucial that they have this information so they can adjust their goals in the off-season.
    Plus I just want to see the guy play.

• Chuck says:

This is another reason why tanking is not an option. Evaluations must be made on all players in order to figure out what the projected makeup of next year’s team will be. This is their playoffs, so they need to see how players like Leblanc will handle it.

• Kooch7800 says:

I wonder when he will actually be back. Skating hard for 40 minutes you think he would be back in the next couple of weeks but who knows. They are not saying too much.

Too bad about blunden. Hit from behind and is out for 6 weeks and Elias gets a small fine….he should have been suspended

74. Vladdy Mondavi says:

Carey working on his shots?? Does he plan on scoring before Gomez?

_______________________________
    Opinions are like kittens, I’m giving them away.

• nunacanadien says:

That is the only way that Carey can hang onto a lead is if he scores a few goals himself maybe…

• jrshabs1 says:

lol!!! Is this going to go on all day nuna? Who would you rather have in net? Can’t say Halak because that would just be a dumb thing to say considering he’s not even the starter on his own team. So who do you want in net? Price has a 2.37ga and a 916sp. Price plays on a team that habitually collapses in 3rd period. I don’t think you watch the games or if you do watch you don’t really know what’s going on and the only reason you’re here is to cause trouble. You don’t like Price..we get it.

Go Habs Go!!

• habsnyc says:

I see a team that ranks higher in goals for vs. last season, despite a horrid powerplay and a team that ranks lower in goals against vs. last season despite having Gorges for an entire year.

Since you have watched all the games, I would love to hear what the cause of this might be.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• jrshabs1 says:

k

• jrshabs1 says:

It wouldn’t have anything to do with loss of Hamrlik or the Wiz would it? Or trading Spacek for Kaberle? How about the 2 raw rooks that play the backend this year. Not mention PK has regressed and Gill has become really old and really slow compared to last year. There’s something for you to chew on. Since you really seem to have a grasp..wait a minute you didn’t actually contribute anything. I’ll wait.

Go Habs Go!!

• moggs says:

I hope you are not bashing Price. That would be ridiculous.

• bleedhabs81 says:

Idiot of the Day!

(I didn’t think I would enjoy this as much as I have)

75. habs17 says:

Never

I support Scott Gomez

76. Kooch7800 says:

Boob Mckenzie changed his tune off air and blogged about it after saying it isn’t a bad trade for Montreal. On TV he was quite the opposite way

77. slychard says:

Conboy, jeez, I totally forgot about him. Speaking of prospects I wish serious009 would end his boycott and post his prospect info again…

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Kiss my hAbSS!!!

78. Hobie Hansen says:

Mike Boone is no scout but I recall him answering to a thread on HIO at one time, not too long ago, saying Schultz is not close to being an NHL player.

And I believe Conboy is pretty much in the same boat as well.

I had hoped that these two players would one day help makeup our 4th line but I have only ever heard things stating the contrary for both of them.

79. Kooch7800 says:

Conboy has been having issues with injuries. I am not sure he is going to get another contract. The guy missed a ton of time again this year.

80. G-Man says:

Neither can skate worth a damn, so the opposition would love it. Can you say “career AHLers”?

81. SmartDog says:

His agent needs to talk to Gauthier quickly before he’s gone. Markov played what – 20 games in two years and still got a sweet 3 year deal here.

82. piper says:

Thats why we should have picked Stewart off waivers. Oh well, just keep gettin slapped around.

83. Cardiac says:

Indeed. Not everyone who plays in the AHL is ready for the NHL. This is Conboy’s fourth year in the AHL and he blows…

- Jerry Maguire

84. B says:

Here is a great and long running site that I check with often to see how the prospects are doing. It provides daily updated stats for Habs prospects:

85. LA Loyalist says:

Yeah, miss that guy, even when he yelled at me.

86. neumann103 says:

yeah, there is a really tight correlation between health insurance and Nazis.

what a buffoon

“Et le but!”

87. HabFab says:

Did Anti get into your stash Dude?
    You know those Eastern rednecks can’t handle that BC Bud!

88. habs-fan-84 says:

way to take the quote COMPLETELY out of context.

89. The Dude says:

I have a hard time with B.C. bud…but you know the very best goes to the One Percent gang.

Does anyone want to? I am sorry, I just can’t…

91. SmartDog says:

Don’t be a macaroon.

92. habs17 says:

wow maxwell instead of lucic brutal

I support Scott Gomez

93. habs17 says:

trade kaberle to toronto for 4 1st rnders

I support Scott Gomez

94. Chuck says:

“I’m sick and tired of cheering for an organization who’s objective is to make the playoffs!!”

Er, you can win the Cup without getting into the playoffs, so I’d think that actually getting to the playoffs would be a good first objective.

And for a team that hasn’t been to the playoffs since the lockout, believe me, the Laff’s ONLY objective is to get into the playoffs.

95. nunacanadien says:

When the habs are run by a committee it is no wonder that we depend on free agency and throw away our draft picks, so that we can retain Price. I think everyone has it wrong so far. We need to send a torpedo to the habs management and let them know enough is enough, time to stop placing all your cap space on wasted burnouts like Price. Time to clean house. The habs need to win, not make excuses.

96. nunacanadien says:

I’m sorry but clearly Carey Price does not have it in him to begin with, not in Montreal. Halak was the better goalie by far, although Price is a bit more flashier. That’s the word. Thorough Flash as opposed to a Thoroughbred you mean. Price is a big disappointment, giving away so many soft goals in the third period when we lose the lead. I thought the Laffs used to be bad for that.